3.5/5 (145 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: June 4, 2022

I'll keep it simple. I'm cancelling. Hard to have conclusion this is not a scam. I understand some claims might be rejected, but 100% are, including literally the surprise surgeries I purchased it for with no previous history from the pet. I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Hello Alfred,

I am sorry for any disappointment you experienced with your claims! I was not able to view your account to see the specific details, but we would like to help resolve any questions you have as soon as possible. Please give us a call at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you!

Original review: June 3, 2022

I decided to get my cat accident/illness insurance while she was young just so when she was older everything would be covered. Turns out she ended up developing bowel disease and it cost me $2000 of multiple vet visits to figure it out! Embrace refunded me about $1750 of that. Such an amazing thing to have for all of your pets! You never know when you’ll need it

Hello Ciara,

We're glad to hear the policy has been there to help during your cat's time of need! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: June 2, 2022

They process all my dog's claims in a decent amount of time. Also very helpful and phone friendly. I am a happy customer going on eleven years. Chachi just had bladder stone surgery. Received my check a week after it was submitted. I highly recommend Embrace Pet Insurance.

Hello Eletta,

Wow, eleven years! We're happy to have you as part of the Embrace family and it's great to hear you've had positive experiences with your claims and with our service over the years. We hope Chachi is feeling better after his surgery and is making a quick recovery. Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 27, 2022

0 ** STARS!!! They don’t cover anything in reference to French Bulldogs. Had the insurance since my puppies were 6 weeks. The oldest is now 11months and Embrace has not reimbursed me for not 1 vet bill I have submitted. Had I saved the $159 I paid them for 11mo I would have more $ in my pocket than the actual vet bills cost in total. They say they cover everything to get you to purchase until you have to submit a claim and they do everything in their power to deny you.

How does a 4 month old puppy have a chronic condition!!? Most vets don’t even diagnose allergies until 1yrs old. But because the ER vet wrote in the soap notes my Frenchie will need to be re-evaluated at 1 yr for a nasal condition that is known for short nose breeds they refused to pay?!?. What am I paying insurance for if the insurance refuses to pay anything. All these good reviews must be about the customer service to get your $$ because after that you on your own!! Save your $$ yourself for vet emergencies because Embrace is a SCAM!!!

Hello Kneiss,

I am sorry for any frustration you’ve experienced with your policy! Unfortunately, no pet insurance company is able to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. However, if you feel there was an incorrect assessment, you do have the option to appeal. If you have any additional questions, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Embrace pet insurance is not trustworthy. The claims process is made long and complicated even though they make it appear to be simple. They excluded conditions that my dog didn’t previously have and other conditions as simple as diarrhea. Basically, Embrace made it so that anything that may occur will not be covered. I began to suspect something was not right when Embrace claimed it could not get information from three different veterinarians. All three said they never received anything from Embrace. After Embrace tried listing an illness my dog had well after the policy was active as pre-existing I knew this company was fraudulent. Upon researching the reviews for Embrace, I learned that the company routinely does this kind of thing to customers. I do not trust Embrace insurance with my pet’s health and life.

Hello Maria,

I apologize for any disappointment you experienced with your claims! Unfortunately, we are unable to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. This is directly based off of the chart notes provided to us by the veterinary clinics your pet has been seen at, but any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment you do have the option to appeal. I understand this is frustrating, but we are required to abide by the regulations set by our underwriters and the department of insurance. I was not able to locate your account to view the specific details in regard to any pending medical history records, but we would like to help resolve any questions or concerns you have as soon as possible! Please give us a call at 800-511-9172 at your earliest convenience and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 24, 2022

In the three years we have used Embrace to insure our dogs, we have never received anything but excellent service. When we call with a question, we always talk to a real person who knows the answer to every question we have ever asked. Each agent has been personable and patient. Our claims are processed quickly and followed up with a personalized, written explanation of the claim status. The claim reviewer additionally provides personal contact information should we have any additional questions. We highly recommend this insurer.

Hello Barbara,

We strive to provide excellent customer service to all of our pet parents, so we are happy to hear you've had a positive experience! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 24, 2022

I have been an Embrace Pet Insurance member for three years and am very satisfied with their services and would recommend it to my friends and family. This is the best insurance so far. If I have any problem I call them and it is resolved right away.

Hello Regina,

We strive to offer the best service for our pet parents, so we're happy to hear you've had a positive experience with your policy over the years! Thank you for the recommendation and for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 23, 2022

Quick response when claims are filed and check reimbursements sent. Quick response when I've emailed questions and friendly on the phone. I have no complaints at all with the insurance. We've never had pet insurance before and would highly recommend it to anyone who has a pet.

Hello Edwin,

We're happy to hear you've had a positive experience with the claims process and with our Customer Care representatives. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Embrace was amazing & processed Murphy's claim in a very timely manner which I greatly appreciate. I am so thankful I chose Embrace as my cat's insurance provider! They deposited funds back into my account within 2 biz days which again is so helpful when finances are a concern.

Hello Amanda,

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with the claims process and that the policy was there to help during your time of need! We appreciate you taking the time to leave that feedback!

Original review: May 17, 2022

I recently canceled my policy with Embrace that I had for almost a year (I got it in May 2021). I have a cat and had recently adopted my dog, and I thought Embrace was a good choice for pet insurance because I read good reviews. Fast forward to April 2022, my dog had an emergency: she ate a curtain and was gagging and bleeding from her mouth. I had to take her to a pet ER because this was late in the day. She was fine at the end of the ordeal, and I filed my claim with Embrace. They denied it because of lack of medical history. I wasn't too fazed by this; this was the first claim I had filed, so it didn't surprise me that they wanted more information. I figured I could scrape together the remaining information and then everything would be fine.

So I submitted every single record I have for this dog. Still got denied for a lack of medical history. For reference, my dog was a street dog and a rescue, so nobody knows her full history. And yet, even though I attempted to explain this, the claim still got denied. To put a cherry on top, Embrace raised my premium for both of my pets. I wanted to cancel my policy at that point, and you can't cancel it online, so I emailed Embrace weeks before my renewal date. No reply. So, I ended up having to call them, waited on hold for an hour, and finally canceled it. I paid my premium on time, every time, for a year. Yet the one time I needed to actually use my policy and tried to file a claim with the information that I could provide, I was denied. My honest review of Embrace: worthless; a waste of time and money, unless you know every single shred of your pet's history. Which is impossible if you try to do a good thing and adopt a stray from the street.

Hello Hayden,

I apologize for any frustration you've experienced with your claim and we are sad to see you go! At the moment, the claim has not been denied, but it was put on hold due to pending medical history. Although our goal is to process claims as quickly as possible, we are required to confirm we have the pet’s full medical history on file before we can process any claims related to an accident or illness. When the first claim is submitted, it can take longer to process while we collect this information. Once it has been received and confirmed complete, the claims process is much quicker moving forward as this is not something we have to re-collect every time a claim is submitted.

We initially only received a summary version of the medical records from your clinic, whereas we look for the detailed chart notes, also known as SOAP notes (subjective, objective, assessment, plan). Our claims team recently reached out to your clinic to obtain the correct notes, but they stated they were not allowed to send the medical records to us and would instead send them directly to you to submit. Once you receive those records, they can be submitted via your MyEmbrace portal through the "Send Documents" link, via email to claims@embracepetinsurance.com (please be advised this address is only monitored for PDF file attachments), or via fax to 800-238-1042. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you!

Original review: May 16, 2022

I had Embrace previously, cancelled for reasons UNRELATED to the service, and rejoined 3 months ago. I had 4 dogs at the time, and Embrace was just as kind and quick on claims as they were the first time. There was no "nitpicking" on claims, and the app makes everything so much faster! I recently sent one of my boys across the rainbow bridge and the compassion, kindness and patience of the Embracer I worked with over the phone, Victoria S. was so comforting and reassuring! After the claim was processed I received a card from Victoria that was imbued with wildflower seeds to plant in memory of my sweet boy. The price of my policy, for 4 dogs, was very affordable for me. Thank you Victoria and Embrace for your kindness and compassion.

Hello Sherry,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! We are glad to hear though that the claims process went smoothly for you and Victoria was able to help provide a positive experience during a difficult time. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave that feedback. Sending well wishes to you!

Original review: May 16, 2022

This company is really good at taking your money. So good that they raise your rates WITHOUT NOTIFYING YOU. So watch your credit card statements, kids. My dog had a procedure. Embrace paid 1 month and labeled 'a preexisting condition' the next time he needed it done. And they just approved it the previous month! Prepare to wait on hold at least a half hour before anyone answers the phone to straighten things out. Which btw, they won't.

Hello Walter,

I apologize for any frustration you experienced with your policy! About a month or so before the renewal date, we always send a notification email to confirm the upcoming renewal and any changes made to the premium. I was not able to view your account to see the specific details, but we would like to resolve any concerns you have in regard to the premium increase or your claims as soon as possible. We can be reached via phone at 800-511-9172 or via email at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I filed a few claims with Embrace and my pet insurance cost me more than my Medicare plan. It’s unbelievable how this nonsense works. I would recommend Embrace to my worse enemy. After speaking with customer service they couldn’t explain the reason for the increase therefore I cancel my plan at renewal. I just don’t understand why my premiums when up after filing a claim. Isn’t that why we have insurance?

Hello Mr. Mack,

Thank you for providing that feedback, we are sad to see you go! We understand it can be frustrating to see your premium has increased. Premiums increase over time as a cost of business with all pet insurance companies and they are based on factors such as age, pet tenure, pet type/breed, location, vet costs, etc. We do not currently base premiums off of the number of claims you've submitted or the health status of your pet. We do however have our $50 Healthy Pet Deductible Credit that is applied for every year you go without reimbursement for claims.

You do always have the option to adjust your coverage in other ways to bring your premium price down. For example, increasing your deductible, decreasing your reimbursement percentage, or decreasing your annual maximum. If you are interested in exploring these options, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to go over it with you.

Original review: May 14, 2022

Easy to file claim. Quick results. I’m very satisfied. Took Lizzy to vet - I was so scared - she was in extreme pain. I was so lucky to get an appointment within an hour. Filed my claim very easily online. I’m so happy with my vet's treatment and the speedy response I got from Embrace. Thank you!

Hello Joyce,

We're glad to hear you had a positive experience with your claim and we hope Lizzy is feeling better now! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I've been using Embrace for about 8 years now. They are fantastic! They don't haggle over coverage, they timely reimburse you, and they have great customer service. Don't go anywhere else for your pet insurance needs. My dog has melanoma and has ulcers in both eyes. The coverage paid out has been about $15,000 and they've never given me one problem with paying. I'm happier with this company than any other company I've ever used for insurance! AT

Hello Aaron,

We're happy to hear you've had a positive experience with your claims and with our Customer Care team over the years! We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 11, 2022

I wish I wouldn't have selected this company as my pet insurance. My dog jumped out of the car tore his ACL and they refused to cover the $2800 surgery stating it happened during the 6 month orthopedic waiting period and even though it was an accident it was still considered orthopedic. I don't see the point in having this insurance if they find clever wording to not cover surgeries. And my monthly payment is now $147.50... Absolutely disgusting.

Hello Kristen,

I apologize for any disappointment you experienced with your claim! Based on the diagnosis received for your dog's claim, we were unable to provide coverage for the CCL tear because hindlimb lameness was noted in the medical records on 5/17/21, which was within the 6-month orthopedic waiting period. However, any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment you do have the option to appeal. If you have any additional questions or would like further clarification in regard to the appeal process, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 9, 2022

Our Lab mix recently began showing signs of lameness in his front legs. We took him to our vet and he stated that our dog had arthritis and bone spurs in both elbows and recommended an eight shot treatment of a substance that was supposed to help lubricate the joints and a laser treatment that was supposed to reduce inflammation. He was also placed on ** for longer term relief. I was happy to see that this treatment was covered under our policy and we received a check for the amount paid over our deductible. The process was easy and quick and I could not be happier with the service. Thank you, Embrace!

Hello David,

We're happy to hear the claims process went smoothly for you and the policy was there to help during your time of need. We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback and hope your dog is feeling better!

Original review: May 9, 2022

Disappointed that Nico's second claim is considered preexisting when is different from his first condition, pancreatitis vs gastrointestinal which could be from something he ingested. What is the point of having insurance if I'm getting $10 on a $1000 claim?

Hello Angelica,

I am sorry to hear you had a negative experience with your claim! Per the terms and conditions of the policy, we are unable to cover pre-existing conditions, which is defined as anything that was symptomatic or diagnosed prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. However, any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment, you do have the option to appeal. If you have any questions regarding the results of the claim or the appeal process, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I purchased a policy in 6/21 for my 7.5 yr German Shepherd at $79.79 a month, 20,000 annual, 500 deductible, 90% reimbursement. Just received my new policy $119 + change.. a unacceptable 48% increase!!!

Hello Natalie,

We understand it can be frustrating to see your premium has increased! Premiums do increase over time as a cost of business with all pet insurance companies and they are based on factors such as age, pet tenure, pet type/breed, location, vet costs, etc. We do not currently base premiums off of the number of claims you've submitted or the health status of your pet. We do however have our $50 Healthy Pet Deductible Credit that is applied for every year you go without reimbursement for claims.

You do always have the option to adjust your coverage in other ways though to bring your premium price down. For example, increasing your deductible, decreasing your reimbursement percentage, or decreasing your annual maximum. If you are interested in exploring these options, you can look at different coverage options through your MyEmbrace portal under "Change Coverage," or you may call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to go over it with you.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I've had Embrace for my dog for 7 years now, ever since she was a pup. They were pretty good, and paid most claims with little complaint or delay. Starting in 2022, they've become an absolute nightmare to deal with: they nitpick every claim to death, delay payments, and it's nearly impossible to get ahold of a live person there.

Example of the shady games Embrace plays with policyholders and their pets: To dodge payment for removal of growth on my pup's PAW, Embrace said it wasn't covered, as she had a wart in her MOUTH long ago. Embrace "Chief Underwriter" Jenna ** acknowledged that "an approximately 5 mm raised sebaceous-like dermal mass on the 5th digit of the left hind paw was removed." ** then went into contortions to describe why Embrace wouldn't pay for that:

"On 2/19/2015, Ava was diagnosed with oral papillomas... Since it cannot definitively be determined what type of mass was removed, I cannot provide coverage for this claim. Under the Terms and Conditions of Ava's policy, Ava's papillomas are pre-existing because the diagnosis of the condition occurred prior to the policy's effective date. As such, your policy does not cover the claim you submitted." In other words, they're not covering a removal of a paw growth (sebaceous) because 7 years ago she had a wart on her tongue (papilloma).

Another example this year: To dodge payment for a knee procedure, they said that a tiny portion of the procedure, which was offered for FREE by the vet, wasn't covered and therefore, they wouldn't cover ANY of the $2000 procedure. They completely ignored a follow-up letter from my vet. I'm still waiting for a response from them on that, while in the meantime, I'm on the hook for $2000. For your sanity, not to mention the health and safety of your pup, do NOT use Embrace! I'm now having to take up the cases with the California Dep't of Insurance and consider legal action, not ways I enjoy spending my spare time.

Hello Erik,

I apologize for any disappointment you’ve experienced with your policy! I was not able to view your account to see the specific details, but any time you feel there was an incorrect assessment, you do have the option to appeal. If you have any questions regarding the results of your claim or the appeal process, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and a representative will be happy to assist you.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I worked with Darcy in Embrace Pet Insurance Customer Service and she was incredibly helpful and kind. I appreciated her thoroughness in explaining all aspects of my policy and ensuring that I had the most appropriate plan for my furry family members. She went above and beyond in making me feel comfortable in the sign up process. She was very relatable and friendly! I feel at ease knowing I have a cost effective plan and support available if any questions arise in the future.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I love how they help you with everything. Have been very good to us. Submitting claims are so easy and they will assist if there are issues, so glad I made the choice to purchase insurance for our two French Bulldogs.

Hello Molly,

We're glad to hear you've had a positive experience with your claims! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: May 1, 2022

When contacting Embrace customer service, your representatives have always been super helpful and kind. Customer service seems to be rare these days, but, not at Embrace. Thank you for your hard work and all that you do.

Sandy W. a/k/a Evie and Buddy's Mom

Hello Sandra,

We're happy to hear our Customer Care team has been able to provide a positive experience for you! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: April 29, 2022

As all insurances companies exist with the sole intention of denying as many claims as humanly possible, this one is no exception. We were literally within "hours" of the time period required for the policy to go live, and they denied us. We felt that they were truly "splitting hairs." Several emails and conversations with them yielded elusive responses, coupled with extensive instructions about how to file an appeal. Certainly those details were also intended to discourage the average person, as they were involved and time-consuming. There was no effort to understand the unique circumstances we found ourselves in with a new puppy, even though I went to great lengths to explain.

Also, we received a card in the mail indicating that our prescriptions are covered, so when I inquired about that, again, I received a convoluted, roundabout reply. Again, the bottom line was they were not interested in applying any logic or human element of understanding. We were not sure what was going on with our new puppy, and neither was the vet, so he erred on the side of caution and prescribed meds. We later discovered there was no need. In any event, the entire lame experience was all about "pushback." We spent a great deal of money and received nothing in return.

Hello Christine,

I apologize for any disappointment you experienced with your policy! I was unable to view your account to see the specific details, but we would like to help provide further clarification and answer any questions you have as soon as possible. Please give us a call at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to assist you!

Original review: April 27, 2022

First claims took a while to process but after the first claims were verified and paid, the remaining claims were processed quickly. Amounts were paid per terms of plan and claims were very easy to file. Would recommend this insurance to a friend.

Hello Diane,

We're happy to hear you had an overall positive experience with the claims process and we sincerely appreciate your recommendation! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: April 27, 2022

So far, the jury is still out. The on-line claims process appears to be straightforward, but is misleading. The process presses you to select from a very limited number of conditions. Selecting a condition can inadvertently make a condition appear to be a pre-existing condition resulting in a denied claim. This happened on 3 different situations. Claims are oriented around a single visit - requiring submission of multiple claims for the same medical issue if/when followup visits are required - without the claims being linked. There definitely is a learning curve in claims submission. Because there are no specific billing codes (as there are with a human medical issue), there appears to be a tendency of linking any issue with a body part or system - and therefore considering it a pre-existing condition. I now have 6 claims under appeal. In hindsight, I am not sure I see enough value in the program, and should not have renewed my policy.

Hello Martin,

I apologize for any frustration you experienced with your claims! I see you have been corresponding with one of our adjusters in regard to the appeal process, but if you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to her directly and she will be happy to assist you. In the future, if you ever have any questions in regard to selecting the correct diagnosis/reason for the visit during the submission process, please let us know and we're happy to provide guidance!

Original review: April 27, 2022

Submitted a claim about 45 days ago and still haven't heard from them. You can't call them (wait times are 45 minutes!!) and they do not respond to emails. I view Embrace Pet Insurance as nothing more than an elaborate scam, certainly insurance fraud. I will be filing a complaint with the Ohio Commissioner of Insurance (the state of Embrace Pet Insurance domicile) and the Better Business Bureau.

Hello Steven,

I apologize for any disappointment you experienced with your policy! When claims are sent to us in the mail through USPS, it generally takes around 30 days to be received and set up in our system. I see you mailed the documents to us on 3/16/22 and they were received and set up for review on 4/15/22. We generally recommend submitting claims via email or by uploading through your MyEmbrace portal as they will process the quickest this way! I also apologize for the long hold times and for any inconvenience it has caused. We are hiring additional representatives and working diligently to get back to our standard response time. If you have any additional questions or concerns in regard to your claims, please let us know and we're happy to help!

Original review: April 25, 2022

I am still waiting for my reimbursement from my pet's bill. I was told it was in my checking account but it has never been deposited. I have emailed and it is still not resolved. Very dissatisfied with the service from your department.

Hello Mindy,

I apologize for any frustration you've experienced with your claims! I do see you have been corresponding with one of our Customer Care representatives in regard to your missing reimbursement deposits and our billing department has been made aware of the situation. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out directly to that representative and they will be happy to assist you!

Original review: April 23, 2022

I sent in a pre-surgical authorization before surgery and it was promptly approved. Once the claim was sent in, they paid within 10 days. If I ever needed anything, I would call and get help from professional and kind staff.

Hello Jane,

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with your claim and we appreciate you taking the time to provide that feedback!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Things worked out well. There was a "bump" or two, but after communications I am happy with the results and the services that Embrace offers. My confidence is reassured and look forward to a continued great relationship as my pup's life proceeds.

Hello James,

We are happy to hear any concerns you had were resolved to your satisfaction! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide that feedback.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information