3.7/5 (226 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2022

This was the first time in years that I actually put a claim in. My dog needed a few very expensive procedures done all at once. Embrace was amazing and I got my checks so very quickly, I was surprised how easy it was using the app. No fire rings to jump through. A+++ experience, wonderful company, great customer service.

Hello Kathleen,

We're happy to hear the policy was there to help during your time of need and that the claims process went smoothly! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

The first claim is a little tedious. I assumed since we did the original visit to qualify for the insurance, that first claim would be smooth. However, there was a lot of back and forth and record giving. Wish there was a better process for the first claim. However, any subsequent claims have been really easy. I love the direct deposit. Using the app to upload is easy as well.

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I've spent $210 towards this pet insurance since getting it a couple of months ago. My dog vomited from eating too fast. Took him to to get him checked. Submitted the claim for $690 (xrays, medication, etc.) and was denied coverage by Embrace. Their reasoning was that his vomiting was considered a temporary illness and the veterinarian's appeal letters that stated my dog was healthy and the vomiting incidents were unrelated. Were insufficient in approving the claim.

Hello Danielle,

I am sorry for any disappointment you experienced with your claim! Per the terms and conditions of the policy, we are unable to cover pre-existing conditions, defined as anything that was symptomatic or diagnosed prior to starting the policy or through the initial waiting periods. However, we do distinguish between temporary and permanent pre-existing conditions and understand that some conditions (such as vomiting) can be symptoms of curable conditions. Temporary pre-existing conditions are eligible to expire provided the pet goes 12 consecutive months symptom and treatment free. We are sad to see you go, but we understand you must do what you feel is best for you and your dog. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com or give us a call at 800-511-9172 and we're happy to help.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I expected to have to fight to get my claim approved for our puppy’s stem cell treatment for elbow dysplasia. There was a bit of a delay in getting records from all of the vets. A quick phone chat resulted in a quick resolution. I am thrilled at how responsive Embrace has been. Highly recommended!

Hello Dana,

We're glad to hear the issue was resolved and that you had a positive experience with your claim! Thank you for the recommendation and for taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I should have checked on insurance a long time ago for Morris the cat and I am glad I finally did...and I am glad I chose Embrace. I would highly recommend this service to all of my relatives and friends.

Hello Les and Patricia,

We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and you taking the time to leave that feedback!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Embrace stands head and shoulders above other pet insurance companies. Their Wellness plan is almost like a health savings account for hooo-mans but they put their $$ with it as well. I have spent many years in sales & customer service as well as pet business and am VERY impressed by everything from their website to interaction with reps on the phone. You will not regret choosing Embrace.

Hello Becca,

We're glad to hear you've had a positive experience with your policy and with our Customer Care team! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I was a little nervous about how the process would go, but I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It took a while for all the required vet history to make its way to Embrace and be reviewed, but once that part was done the rest was a breeze! The communication was clear and professional. Will definitely stay with Embrace!

Hello Ashleigh,

Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

My Premium was $1000 this year and I just received my renewal for next year, Embrace increases my premium to $1600 without any explanation. I understand cost of everything went up and there's inflation now too but $600 increase??? That's 60% increase!!! Between cost going up and inflation, 20% increase is probably more reasonable. Anyways, I called Embrace multiple times trying to speak to a supervisor to find out why this happened, but Embrace refuses to speak to me and all I got was a email response that my dog is aging hence the price increase. I'm very disappointed with their customer service and their supervisor Sarah is avoiding talking to me on the phone. You would think maybe there's new perks or the coverage is better given $600 increase but NOPE - same coverage as before. I feel that we are being punished because of my dog is getting older. I'm totally ok with annual increase of premium but not by 60% each year.

Hello Jen,

We certainly understand your concerns in regard to premium increases. Each year Embrace along with our underwriters, American Modern Insurance Group, conduct a substantial actuarial analysis and these findings help to determine increases in premium pricing for all policies in each state. Our premium increases are based primarily on the age of the pet and pet tenure (how long the pet has been insured). This is due to the fact that the older a pet becomes, the higher the likelihood that claims will be submitted, or the pet may incur an accident or illness.

Premiums increase over time as a cost of business with all insurance companies and over the lifetime of a policy with any pet insurance company, you are likely to see very similar trends, it just may vary when the increase happens. With our policies we do not currently increase prices based off of the number of claims submitted or the heath status of your pet. We do however have our $50 Healthy Pet Deductible Credit that gets applied toward the deductible for every year you go without reimbursement for claims!

I assure you our Contact Center representatives and supervisors would not intentionally avoid or ignore your calls, but I apologize for any misunderstanding! It appears the supervisor sent you an email on 10/31/22 asking when the best time would be for her to call you, but I have requested she reach out to you again. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply directly to the email and she will be happy to help!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Personalized insurance levels (you can set the deductible and the coverage amounts to fit your budget). Very easy to submit claims via the app, fast response to claim submissions and excellent live person help when needed. If you want insurance for your pets, this is the place to go.

Hello Rita,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We're glad to hear you've had a positive experience with your policy!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Embrace Pet Insurance -customer service rep. Ashley was considerate, informative, and listened to my concerns regarding being a first time pet insurance policy holder. The live person customer service was a huge plus, as so many businesses today reply: please visit our app and the FAQ page. I needed more for Pet Insurance.

Hello Alton,

We're happy to hear Ashley was able to provide a positive experience! Thank you for sharing that feedback!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Ever since I signed up with Embrace for my babies, they have been outstanding! I couldn’t have asked for a better pet insurance company! I always recommend Embrace to my clients as I am a veterinary technician, but I do tell them to do their research as they may find Embrace may not fit their qualifications.

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to leave that feedback and share your experience! We sincerely appreciate your recommendation!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

Buyer Beware - I wish I could give less than 1 star. This was my first experience with pet insurance and it was an eye opener! When I submitted claims to prove I had met my deductible, within 24 hours I received notification for my renewal, which was over two months away - at an increase of nearly 40%. When I called to question, I was told that a 40% annual increase was 'normal'. I never actually intended to file a claim, only prove my deductible had been met in case I needed to file a claim and EVERY SINGLE claim I filed to prove this was disputed and denied even though I had the vet complete Embrace's forms. Embrace looked amazing on paper but I don't think they ever would have approved any of my claims.

Hello Heather,

We certainly understand it can be frustrating to see a premium increase! Unfortunately, they are a common occurrence within insurance. Over the lifetime of a policy with any pet insurance company, you are likely to see very similar trends, it just may vary when the increase happens.

We do not currently base premiums on the health status of your pet or the number of claims submitted and we are actually one of the only companies to offer a diminishing deductible. With the Healthy Pet Deductible Credit, your pet's annual deductible automatically goes down by $50 each year that you don't receive an insurance claim reimbursement. If you have any additional questions or concerns in regard to your claims, please send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com or give us a call at 800-511-9172 and we're happy to help!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I have used Embrace for all my pets over more than 10 years and with 6 cats. All of them were adults when I adopted them and a few had pre-existing conditions. Embrace was always clear and honest about what would and would not be covered after getting the medical history and initial physical. As my pets got older and sicker, it was certainly money well spent to know they could get the care they needed and that I would be promptly reimbursed for covered expenses. 4 of my cats have since passed, and they were kind and compassionate when I contacted them to remove a cat from the policy.

Hello Elisheva,

We're happy to hear the policy has been there to help during your time of need and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Reggie and I just want to extend a huge thank you to everyone at Embrace insurance, we are so grateful we chose you as our company. Reggie was diagnosed with bilateral severe hip dysplasia and was recommended that he get both hips replaced, he’s recovering from his first surgery very well and the second will be scheduled when he’s all healed. So glad we have Embrace so we were able to provide him the highest level of care possible so he can live a happy, normal dog life.

Hello Sarah,

We're so glad to hear Reggie is in recovery and doing well! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

I had insurance for about seven months and the family dog was getting nauseous and throwing up. After a few days, we decided to take him to the vet. Well, long story short Embrace said that nausea was a pre-condition. I never heard of nausea being a precondition. To continue my short abbreviated not so long story, I highly recommend this company. All they did was weasel out and just tried to sell more insurance. The company **!! Go to Petsmart and get their dock in a box. I’ve been told that they just take care of the animals. I’m a USAA member and the only reason why I trust this Embrace company was because it was on the USAA site. Silly me.

Hello John,

I am sorry for any disappointment you experienced with your claim! As vomiting and diarrhea were noted in the medical records prior to the policy purchase, this makes them (and any related conditions/clinical signs) a pre-existing condition and ineligible for coverage. However, we do distinguish between permanent and temporary conditions, with temporary ones being considered curable. Vomiting and diarrhea may be eligible for coverage in the future provided your pet goes symptom and treatment free for a full 12 months from the most recent occurrence. If you have any additional concerns or would like further clarification, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 or send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com and we’re happy to help!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I adopted my dog from the local shelter in November 2021 and signed up for Embrace Pet Insurance in December 2021 as it was recommended by USAA. In August 2022 he had lameness in a back leg and was seen at the local emergency vet as it was a weekend and my vet wasn’t open. The charges were over $900 and testing revealed positive for Lyme. I filed my claim with Embrace and TWO MONTHS later was told nothing would be paid because he had a limp when he was dropped off at the shelter by animal control so this was a “pre existing condition.” I had asked my vet when she followed up with my dog in September if there was a correlation. She said it was not impossible but the shelter did not test for Lyme and there are multiple things that can cause a temporary limp, particularly in a dog that was on the street.

I felt that Embrace’s two month long review of his records was frankly an attempt to find a way to not pay the claim as I had seen similar reviews that felt the same way. The definition of pre existing condition is so broad and does not rely on provable root cause that there must be a lot of denied claims. I have canceled my policy and will provide feedback to USAA in the hope that they will rethink their recommendation. This insurance was not cheap and did me absolutely no good whatsoever. The feel I got all along was that they were looking for a way to decline the claim and unfortunately I was right.

Hello Ann,

I apologize for any disappointment you experienced with your claim and we are sad to see you go! Although our goal is to process claims as quickly as possible, we are required to confirm we have the pet’s full medical history on file before we can process any claims related to an accident or illness. When the first claim is submitted, it can take longer to process while we collect this information. We strive to provide the best service for our pet parents and I am sorry to hear that is not the impression you were left with! I was unable to locate your account to view the specific details, but we would like to look into your situation further and resolve any questions or concerns you have. Please give us a call at 800-511-9172 at your earliest convenience and we're happy to help.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

On 6/1 I completed the applications for two pets’ insurance. I submitted my dog’s healthy medical visit documents and was awaiting to set my cat's next vet appointment, however, I received an email from Embrace that indicated that both my pets were now fully insured. This confused me so I called Embrace again thinking perhaps I misunderstood the policy. I called in to see if Embrace had all that was needed for my cat’s health insurance, I was affirmed from the customer service agent that nothing more was needed, they had everything for my cat and he was fully insured.

I asked again whether they needed another healthy wellness check prior to affirming my cat's insurance was good, however, I was affirmed 2 more times that Embrace had everything they needed. Then I emailed on 7/12 and asked if his insurance is active, because I wanted it in writing. “Thank you for reaching out regarding your policy. I did take a look at Anikin’s policy and it was purchased the same day as Koda’s policy… it is active."

This was over three months ago. When my cat had a UTI I took him to the vet 8/26 and then it wasn’t until AFTER I SUBMITTED THE CLAIM TO EMBRACE that Embrace contacted me 9/14, 9/19, to say that it is missing his heathy vet check. Now I am being denied my claim because they said they never received the healthy wellness check from my vet. I am beyond furious because I have been paying for the insurance for MONTHS.

When I asked to be sent the phone call recording /chat recording I was told that the request was against compliance rules. I was also told that regardless what I was told on the phone, needing the health check is written in the 17-page manual, so that is what they refer to, regardless what their rep told me. I am furious. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was told one would return my call within 48 hours. What a joke!

If I was a customer service representative or someone who worked for this agency, and a client was missing important paperwork for three months, I would be calling them. The email I received said there is nothing that I needed to do, so I was foolish enough to believe them. I will publish this review as often as I can until I get an appropriate response.

Hello Kateri,

I am sorry for any frustration you’ve experienced with your policy! Our only requirement in order for the coverage to take effect at the end of the initial waiting periods is that there was an exam done within the 12 months prior to starting the policy or within the first 14 days of starting it. We do strive to make this as clear as possible, with it being communicated in the acknowledgements upon purchase, in the policy terms and conditions, and in several onboarding emails. If there is no sufficient pre-policy exam done, then the illness waiting period will be extended to the date of the first sufficient exam. When we extend the illness waiting period and the policy becomes “void” during that extension, those premiums are refunded. However, the policy was and is still active and the coverage for accidents was available. I apologize for any misunderstanding, but we do have to abide by the regulations set by our underwriters and the department of insurance. I do see that you have been corresponding with our claims team and a supervisor will be reaching out to you shortly to go over any questions and concerns you have!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

They will keep your refund if you don’t continue to call them several times! Absolutely ridiculous that you even have to remind them that they owe you money!! Never go with this insurance company if you don’t want to get scammed!

Hello Darrian,

I apologize for any frustration you experienced with your policy! I was unable to locate an account under your name, but we would like to look further into your situation and resolve any issues as soon as possible. Please send us a private message with your policy number and we're happy to help.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I tried this company because they have an association with USAA, an excellent company unlike Embrace. I paid an upfront annual premium of $630 to insure my cat. The background and health history required was unending. Even after a well health checkup from the Vet, Embrace would not acknowledge our pet was covered for anything and would not cover any Vet charges for things like teeth cleaning, feline leukemia shot, etc. The $630 was a total waste. All they said was No! Then they wanted a second-year premium of $854. For what I wondered?? No coverage? I said no, and cancelled the policy. Don’t use Embrace! It’s a scam!

Hello James,

I am sorry for any disappointment you experienced with your policy and we are sad to see you go! Per the terms and conditions of the policy, we are unable to provide coverage for routine/preventative care and pre-existing conditions (defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods). Dental cleanings and routine vaccinations are things that would only be eligible for reimbursement under the optional add-on Wellness Rewards plan, which functions more like a budgeting tool. We do strive to be as upfront as possible in regard to the coverage and the collection of medical history, but I apologize for any misunderstanding! If you have any additional questions, concerns, or would like further clarification, please give us a call at 800-511-9172 and we're happy to help.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

This review is painful for me to write. However, I feel obligated to shed light on how Embrace truly runs its company in the hopes it helps save the lives of future animals while providing pet owners with more transparency. I recently signed up for Embrace in 2022 to ensure the health of our cat Baker, and new puppy, Sancho Panza. Over the last 4+ months, Embrace continuously denied reimbursement claims for NON-PREEXISTING CONDITIONS, like vomiting and sneezing, for our cat Baker. However, when Baker fell ill this summer and needed detailed medical attention, Embrace would not help us. They worked every angle to ensure no compensation, which bled us dry between the 100% out-of-pocket vet bills ON TOP of the monthly $150+ Embrace policy payments.

Even after spending the entire summer taking Baker to multiple vets, along with spending every last cent we had on her care, there was nothing more the vets or we could do to save her. We spent Baker's final hours between 2 vet ERs searching for a blood transfusion match, to no avail. In the end, we were forced to put her down in the prime of her youth right before her 2nd birthday. After Baker died, during our time of inconsolable grief, Embrace hit us with a cold denial email, then had the nerve to send us a condolence card. Next time, don't do that. It's heartless, horrendous customer service, and disingenuous at best.

On a separate note, multiple Embrace agents continuously denied us routine vet care for our 4-month-old puppy, Sancho Panza, who had zero preexisting conditions upon his adoption in April 2022. Their denial letter even went as far as to say that Sancho had been seen by a vet in November 2021, yet when we adopted him, his papers stated he WASN'T EVEN BORN YET!!!! Just say NO to Embrace and find a pet insurance company that backs up their policies legitimately with genuine care and empathy. Otherwise, you might as well set your money on fire and kiss the health and well-being of your animals goodbye.

Hello Ashley,

Firstly, I would like to say I am so very sorry for your loss! Most of us at Embrace are pet parents ourselves and we understand how difficult it is to lose one of our fur babies. The condolence card was not intended to come across as disingenuous and I am sincerely sorry to hear that is the impression you were left with! In regard to your claims, it appears our claims team is in the process of completing Sancho Panza's Medical History Review and once that is finished the pending claims will move forward for processing. One of our adjusters reached out to you via email today (10/17/22) to go over your concerns and provide clarification in regard to the medical records we were looking for. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply directly to the adjuster and she will be happy to help!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

Very happy with the ease of the process. Incredibly fast with evaluation and reimbursement. I’ve told all my friends about how impressed I am with your company. Thankfully, Gus is doing great. He is a lovely addition to our home so much so that we are considering getting another dog.

Hello Gregg,

We're happy you've had a positive experience with the claims process and we appreciate you letting your friends know! We're also glad to hear Gus is doing well! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Derek was very helpful in guiding me through the process of issuing the claim that is associated with my pet's illness. I was able to collect the information and prepared it for mailing since I wasn't familiar with doing so by email.

Hello Dorothy,

We're glad Derek was able to help and we appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Unless your pet is brand new to the world, the insurance is a scam and not worth it. My cat Lucina had to go to the emergency room - twice - this summer because of bladder stones that have developed. I spent thousands of dollars on her diagnosis and treatment, and Embrace refused to cover any of it. Why? Because in January, she had a UTI. Apparently because we never did the tests to rule out bladder stones then, they won't cover bladder stones we know she has now. It's one thing to say you won't cover things she's definitely been diagnosed with before, that makes sense - but to not cover something because she might've had it? Come on. I ended up cancelling my policy because I might as well spend the money directly on treatment rather than feeding it to a company that won't cover anything my cat actually needs. Thanks for nothing.

Hello Amber,

I am sorry for any disappointment you experienced with your policy and we are sad to see you go! Unfortunately, we are unable to provide coverage for pre-existing conditions, defined as anything diagnosed or symptomatic prior to starting the policy and through the initial waiting periods. I was unable to view your account to see the specific details, but if you send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com, a representative will be happy to go over any questions you have and provide further clarification!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

We had multiple visits to the vet over a two week period involving a possible blockage and other stomach issues. We soon exceeded our deductible with Embrace. It was very easy to file a claim and Embrace quickly responded with payment.

Hello Terry,

We're glad to hear the claims submission process went smoothly for you! Thank you for sharing that feedback!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

My customer service person (Creed) did a great job explaining the options, saved me some money and was very knowledgeable. He spent 20 minutes answering all my questions, gave helpful tips and was generally concerned with the quote he provided.

Hello Peggy,

We're happy to hear Creed was able to help answer your questions and provided a positive experience! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

When you get a Saint Bernard you know that every vet visit is going to be expensive since almost all of the medications or vaccines are by weight. We got Embrace Pet Insurance as soon as we got Fenster to have peace of mind in case anything terrible happened. Well Fenster broke a tooth and had to have it extracted... anesthesia alone was over $500! Embrace requested a bit more information from the veterinary dentist and then covered the majority of the claim. It was quite a smooth process. We also use the wellness rewards as we know with flea and tick and heartworm medication we spend a lot on our gentle giant. We love Embrace!

Hello Melanie,

We're glad to hear the claims process went smoothly for you and we appreciate your feedback!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

I find it very easy to submit a claim via the app and my claims have always been handled in a timely manner, including reimbursement. Communication has been prompt and easily understood. I Will recommend your services to other pet owners.

Hello Christine,

We're happy to hear you've had positive experiences with your claims! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Insurance is something you never know if it is good or bad until you need it. Well, when I needed this company they disappointed me. They are REALLY GOOD at taking my payment. When my CC changed and I got one week behind on payment they make multiple contacts FAST and send menacing messages to ask for my money. But when I sent a claim they took almost 4 months and kept denying it for bogus reasons. My dog had an ear infection and they keep asking for documents from MONTHS ago for a veterinary visit to check for previous diseases of the pup COMPLETELY unrelated to a god-damn EAR INFECTION!

Hello Felipe,

I apologize for any disappointment you've experienced with your policy! Although our goal is to process claims as quickly as possible, we are required to confirm we have the pet’s full medical history on file before we can process any claims related to an accident or illness. When the first claim is submitted, it can take longer to process while we collect this information. Once it has been received and confirmed complete, the claims process is much quicker moving forward as this is not something we have to re-collect every time a claim is submitted!

It appears we are currently waiting on a response from one clinic. If you have any additional questions, concerns, or would like further clarification, please send an email to askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com or give us a call at 800-511-9172 and a representative will be happy to assist you!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

The claim was handled very quickly and professionally. Embrace kept me updated during the process via email and I was amazed at the rapid turnaround time once my dog's receipts were received by Embrace. This was my first experience with filing a claim and I was very pleased.

Hello Sharon,

We're happy to hear you had a positive experience with the claims process! We appreciate you taking the time to share that feedback!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Spoke with representative Christy. I explained a problem I was having with my password not granting access. She handled that quickly. Then, answered questions I had on the Wellness Rewards program. After that, Christy emailed me my policy renewal. I have been with Embrace Pet Insurance for 7 years and plan to stay with them. Excellent service & quality insurance.

Hello Chris,

We're happy to hear Christy was able to help and provide a positive experience! Thank you for taking the time to share that feedback with us!

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information