Get Pricing

2. Pets
  3. Pet Insurance

4.2/5 (141 ratings)

About Embrace Pet Insurance

Embrace Pet Insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats and reimburses pet owners for preventative veterinary care, grooming and behavioral training with no per-item limits. Embrace charges a monthly premium and helps cover expenses if your pet needs emergency medical attention or another service.

Pros

• Use any vet
  • Offers vanishing deductible
  • Accident-only coverage

Cons

• Not all policies available online
  • No zero-deductible options

Bottom Line

Embrace Pet Insurance reimburses dog and cat owners for the most common medical services and treatments. It covers accidents, illnesses and breed-specific conditions.

Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Embrace Pet Insurance?

Original review: July 29, 2021

Our dog required emergency GDV surgery that involved two different emergency facilities and an extra night stay in the hospital to recover. I submitted the claims within days, and the claims were processed impressively fast. We received a check for payment within two weeks of the surgery date and have been very pleased with how easy and quick the process was. Only one item was not covered as it was considered "preventive" - which seemed odd given this was an emergent situation, but the cost of the item was low enough that it wasn't worth worrying about. Overall truly impressed and happy. So glad we have this insurance for our dog.

Hi Diana,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We hope that Bernie is doing much better for you! I took a look at your claim just to confirm the item that was considered preventative, and it looks like it was a supplement that was given to your pet. Supplements are not eligible for coverage under the insurance policy, but are eligible under the optional add-on wellness plan. I am happy that you are happy otherwise! We truly appreciate your honest review.

Senior Customer Care Embracer

Original review: April 27, 2021

I didn't even know you could buy pet insurance until I was sitting in a pet emergency department with my beloved German shepherd as we tried to save him. 3 hours later he passed and we had a $2,500 bill. I found a pamphlet in the emergency department about how affordable pet insurance was. We had spend hundreds of dollars/month on our pet for expensive treatments. If we had only known.

Soooo, when we rescued two beautiful Russian Blue kitties two years later, we began looking for pet insurance. We discovered Pet Embrace. We trusted them because USAA partnered with them. They have a great wellness program, which enabled us to budget out all the wellness care our kitties needed immediately; however, they ALSO have an outstanding affordable MEDICAL policy that covers illness and accidents. That really gave us peace of mind. Filing claims is so easy and streamlined through their online portal. Every time I have reached out to ask a question or file a claim I have spoke with a real, kind, human being with no language barriers and without ever being placed on hold and no phone trees. Their customer service is STELLAR. I wish I could give them 10 stars.

Embrace Pet Insurance response

Wow, Nina, thank you for such a wonderful review! Meeting and exceeding our pet parent's expectations is our number one goal and it means the world to us to hear when we've accomplished this task. I hope your kitties stay as healthy as possible, but if you ever need us, we're here for you.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: April 5, 2021

I have two cats, one I adopted in 2017, and the other around Christmas of 2020. When I adopted my Tuxedo, I got her insurance with Healthy Paws, so that's who I had been with ever since. When it came time to adding the second cat to her account, things got complicated. Unfortunately, Leo came home and got ill about two weeks following. What was initially thought to be linked to gastroenterology issues wound up to be upper respiratory and he ended up having to be seen several times within a two month period. Needless to say, Healthy Paws denied his claims for pre-existing conditions.

I filed an appeal, but after it dragging out over a month and them then requiring additional documentation from his veterinarian interpreting his medical records, I had had enough at that point. I didn't even care about the thousand dollars in claims at that point, they had made my life ridiculously and unnecessarily stressful and I put an end to it. I walked away and canceled his policy with Healthy Paws and came over to Embrace.

I had been looking into Embrace and a few other companies a few weeks prior just so I was prepared if that time came. Ultimately I chose Embrace because of the consistency of their reviews (because I don't expect any company to be perfect), the quantity of their exceptional reviews, but mostly my own personal customer service experience. I spent at least an hour over two or three phone calls with customer service getting information and eventually setting up a policy. Not once did I have any reason to question why I wouldn't want to trust them to insure the well-being of my pets.

I actually was excited I had found them - it made the Healthy Paws experience a whole lot less bitter. I was met with kindness, compassion, friendliness, and consideration. Customer service was prompt and patient and never left any of my many questions unanswered. They also spent a great deal of time helping me to find the most appropriate policy for my needs and budget and offered considerable discounts. I only wish it were convenient for me to bring my other cat over right now, unfortunately because of her health issues at the moment, it'll have to wait a bit. Looking forward to a new beginning with Embrace!

Hello Cristine,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. It means the world to us to hear that you had a great experience with our Pet Insurance Advisor team. If there is anything you need going forward, just let us know!

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I like how easy it is for submit a claim. I dislike that almost every time I submit a claim I get a message in my portal saying they don't have enough info to process my claim and that Embrace requested additional info from my vet. I usually wait a couple days to see if the docs arrived before I email Embrace to ask what docs they need so I can request them myself and get a speedier resolution of my claim. I have NEVER received a message back from Embrace about what extra docs they need from the vet. I ALWAYS end up calling Embrace and speaking with a rep who suddenly doesn't need additional docs and processes my claim immediately. Always feels like Embrace is delaying processing and hopes I'll just forget. I appreciate the reps on the phone for immediately resolving my claims since the online department apparently never can without a phone call from me.

Hello Brazil,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear your claims process has not been as positive as we intend. Some of the hold up on your claims was due to the fact it was the first illness claim on the policy. In order to process the first illness claim, we must collect and review medical records for 12-months prior to the start of the policy. This process takes quite a bit of time, so first claims often take significantly longer than subsequent claims. If you would like to speed up the first claim process, you can request a medical history review for Guinness. You can email us at askclaims@embracepetinsurance.com if this is something you are interested in.

Additionally, to ensure that a claim is processed as quickly as possible it must contain a detailed invoice (including all pages and the total) in addition to a claim form with specific details regarding the claim. The diagnosis (what is provided on the claim form) tells us how to process a claim and if it is eligible for coverage, so we need as much detail as possible in this area. If a diagnosis is very brief (i.e. "medication" or "dental") we need to get additional information in order to process the claim, which can delay processing time.

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience with our Customer Service team, I hope your future claims experience is better.

Claims Manager at Embrace Pet Insurance

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Embrace Pet Insurance has far outshone any pet insurance product I’ve ever had. They insured my cat who, ultimately & sadly, had two different forms of cancer over the course of three years. Embrace paid every single claim for his NYC pricey treatment from biopsies to surgeries to specialty medications. I repeat; they never challenged one claim.

Equally important, Embrace does not pay based upon national norms; they understand that different areas in the US are more or less expensive than others and reimburse based upon the billed amount. I’ve had policies with other companies and that has never been my experience. With them, I would receive a fraction of the cost of the service; with Embrace, I received back 80% of the actual charge. I had direct deposit; I would submit the claim or it would be submitted by the veterinarian and approximately two weeks later the money would reliably appear in my bank account.

They did not fail to renew my policy because he was ill or aged; he renewed until he passed at age 14. Further, they have a service where you can consult a vet online with any questions which was valuable to me and is extremely valuable during this Pandemic. Equally important, these people truly care about animals and about customer service. Since my cat was such a high consumer of health care, I would often call to get a benefit determination for some new service and they were always patient, thorough and knowledgeable. After a short while, they knew exactly who I was and would ask how he was doing every contact. When they learned he had passed, I received a Sympathy Card which included a link to an Online Memorial for him. I can’t say enough good things about Embrace. I will never insure any of my pets with any other pet insurer again.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Quick response when seeking reimbursement after my pet's injury. They contacted the vet when needing extra info., and resolved my case very quickly. I was very appreciative of the way they kept me updated as to where they were in the process before they were able to send me a check.

Hello Kathleen,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave that positive feedback! We're happy to hear the claims process went smoothly. Thank you for being a part of the Embrace family.

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

The first time I’ve used Pet Insurance. My puppy ate a peach pit and had to make 2 vet visits for emergency services. The insurance gave me peace of mind, knowing that I will receive reimbursement for some of the cost. The app very easy to use and reimbursement check arrived soon after.

Hello Amy,

Our goal is to make the claims process as easy and efficient as possible for our pet parents! We are happy to hear you've had a positive experience and we appreciate you taking the time to leave that feedback.

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Why is Embrace refusing to pay my claim without information that doesn’t exist (medical history before we adopted her), and giving me the runaround on why I haven’t been compensated? My cat had to get emergency care, and we found out it resulted from a gastro blockage caused by synthetic material. It’s impossible for it to be a pre-existing condition, but you still want proof. Just pay my claim.

Hello Douglas,

I sincerely apologize for any frustration you've experienced with the claims process! Per the terms and conditions of the policy, we are required to have the complete medical history on file in order to determine if there are any pre-existing conditions that may affect coverage. However, it does appear we have been able to finish the review of your cat's records, and the pending claims should be completed shortly! You will receive confirmation emails from our claims department once they have finished processing. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding your claims, please call our Customer Care Center at 800-511-9172 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

My cat recently had a bout of bad luck ending up at an ER, Urgent Care and several vet visits within a week. I submitted all the claims to Embrace -which was really easy-and in no time had my refund! I highly recommend them! Great customer service, easy to get ahold of and quick, efficient service.

Hello Arlene,

We hope your cat is feeling better! Our goal is to make the claims process as easy and efficient as possible for our pet parents, and we are glad to hear you had a positive experience. Thank you for taking the time to provide that feedback!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

It is wonderful that Embrace offers Wellness coverage in addition to illness/accident insurance. If you are proactive pet parents and would do anything for your fur babies, then you can't go wrong with Embrace. The claims have been processed extremely quickly, and they are fair, kind, and compassionate.

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for the great review! The wellness plan is a great add-on to the policy to help cover for all the routine care that your pets get, and I am happy you are utilizing it! We pride ourselves in our customer service, and I will be sure to pass along the kind words that you shared. Thanks for being a part of the Embrace family!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

I have been with Embrace Pet now for 6+ years and they are amazing!! You can quote your own policy and they will answer any questions you may have. Sometimes just listen to you vent... They do their best to cover as many items as they can in a very timely manner. You can go to any vet or surgeon you choice!! What a Plus!! I recommend Embrace to all my friend and strangers that I run into that have pets!! A great company overall...

Hi Elyse,

Thank you for being a part of the Embrace family and leaving such a nice review! We try to make things as smooth as possible for our pet parents. We are always here for anything that you may have questions on, and thank you for spreading the word.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Embrace has been a godsend for us. Our first Vizsla passed away from Mast Cell Tumor and our Husky Lab recently passed away. Embrace has been there for all our medical needs. They are efficient and fast, but most of all, understanding. If I needed a question answered, they've always been responsive. I would highly recommend Embrace Pet Insurance.

Hello Elise,

First, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your pets. We know that it is never easy to go through, and I hope that you and your family are doing okay.

We do try to make the process as easy as possible for our pet parents, and are happy that it was a smooth process for you. Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review!

Senior Customer Care Embracer

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Claim went through quickly. Filing the claim was easy and effective. I may have a problem getting the check as I live in a rural area and USPS does not deliver to house only PO location. Sometimes they return a physical address, sometimes not. At this time I have not received a check, my fault. Changed method of reimbursement to Direct Deposit as of today. *****

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for the review! We try to make it as easy as possible for our pet parents. I am glad that you caught the address, and were able to set up direct deposit. I went ahead and let the billing team know that you have not received this check yet, and they will do a little digging for you. Once they confirm that it was not received, they will resubmit for direct deposit.

Thanks for being a part of the Embrace family!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

When dealing with the representatives of your company, I have always been treated with such kindness and respect. They are helpful, compassionate, and kind. After dealing with VPI pet insurance (whose representatives were cold and frankly, rude), I was hesitant to looking into more insurance companies...your company is simply wonderful. Thank you for caring. It means a lot.

Hi Adrienne,

We take pride in our customer service, and I will be sure to pass this along to the rest of the team! We all know what it is like being a pet parent, and sometimes situations can be scary! I am sorry that you had to deal with that in the past, but we are happy to have you as a part of the Embrace family.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I have been real happy with Embrace Insurance so far for my one dog with the exception that the rate increased 34% the second year we had it. Claims can easily be done online and is very efficient. We got insurance for our new rescue lab because two previous purebred labs blew out all of their knees and we paid for 3 surgeries. Thankfully after a complete physical our little rescue lab got a good orthopedic exam and clean bill of health. Even though the rate went up a lot, it's nice having the peace of mind that she is covered.

Hi Timothy,

We are happy to have you as a part of the Embrace family! We know that rate increases can be hard to adjust to, but we would be happy to go over some options you may have to adjust the coverage to reduce the premium down for you, if you would like. I am happy to hear that everything turned out great for the orthopedic exam, and hope that their knees stay that way!

If you would like to discuss the rate increase further, please give us a call at 800-511-9172.

Embrace Pet Insurance Company Information