1.71/5
Based on 21 reviews that contain star ratings

Huntington Station, NY

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

64 Canine Corral Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 28, 2009

I and three other friends have all purchased dogs from this facility with negative outcomes. Two dogs had kennel cough so severe that it turned into pneumonia practically overnight, worms, a genetic condition and I can keep on going. I would not recommend them! Thousands upon thousands in veterinary bills!

Original review: May 15, 2009

I come to Canine Corral after my sons karate lessons. They always let us play with the dogs even when we arent ready to purchase. We have been doing this for 3 years. I told my son if he gets his brown belt we get him a puppy as a reward. When my son got his brown belt he said papa we have to go to the dog store to get a dog. Well, it has been 5 months, since we brought our dog home and we love him! He really changed our lives! Thank you to everyone at canine corral for their help and their patience!!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 20, 2009

I recently had been on the search for a place to purchase the new family pet. I had a couple friends telling me to adopt, but I couldn't seem to find a family-friendly dog at the pound. I had some other friends who had purchased their pups from Canine Corral and were overwhelmingly pleased with the result. So my family and I, after visiting many places, went to Canine Corral. The place was very clean - abnormally clean for a pet store. The salesperson was extremely professional and more importantly, very knowledgeable and caring. He was intent on finding the right fit for our family.

One of my daughters has asthma, so we did need a dog that did not cause allergies. He brought over three puppies that would fit our criteria. A poosh, which is a poodle/shih tzu; a cockapoo, which is a cocker spaniel and a poodle; and a purebred Havanese. We played with all the puppies in a playroom, which had all kinds of toys for the kids and dogs to play with. After careful consideration, we decided Canine Corral was the place to purchase our new puppy. We decided on the poosh! This is the smartest dog around!

Now with regard to price, we had been to several pet stores and while it wasn't as inexpensive as the pound, our new pup was significantly less than other stores in the area. They included a lot of great things with the puppy to help offset the cost as well. For us, it was definitely a good deal because they gave us a training course included with the puppy. We spent almost two hours with one of their trainers, who was teaching us how to housebreak the new dog. Not only that, but we have additional free sessions that will cover come, sit, stay, etc., plus they included other great things as well like free vet care, the microchip and a 5-year health warranty. That really impressed us as we didn't see that anywhere else.

Well, I think it is obvious that we would recommend this place to anyone in our inner circle or just anyone that we meet along the way. The staff was great, our pup is great and when we go away over the summer, they are going to board our pup for us as well. Thanks to Canine Corral for a two thumbs up experience!

Original review: April 20, 2009

In November of 2008, I bought a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from Canine Corral. Unfortunately, I developed severe allergies to the dog, which necessitated me taking the dog back after 4 days. However, the store took the dog back and offered me a store credit for another dog. Interestingly, when I was shopping for the dog, they offered me the option of taking the dog home for a few days to see how things are. One of the papers I signed stated that they have no return policy, except if the dog is sick. Before you buy a puppy, the sales people in the store are extremely nice but if you have any problems with the puppy you bought, you will get the rudest treatment you have ever experienced in your life. Now, I am trying to sell the store credit for half of my purchase price on Craigslist.

Original review: April 13, 2009

Canine Corral is DA Bomb! I couldn't afford puppies elsewhere but one of my home-girls told me about Canine Corral and they made it happen for me! Holla to Dan and Karen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Canine Corral?

Original review: April 12, 2009

I recently had been on the search for a place to purchase the new family pet. I had a couple of friends telling me to adopt, but I couldn't seem to find a family-friendly dog at the "pound." I had some other friends who had purchased their pups from Canine Corral and were overwhelmingly pleased with the result. So my family and I, after visiting many places, went to Canine Corral. The place was very clean; abnormally clean for a pet store. The salesperson was extremely professional, and more importantly very knowledgeable and caring. He was intent on finding the right fit for our family. One of my daughters has asthma, so we did need a dog that did not cause allergies.

He brought over three puppies that would fit our criteria - a Poosh, which is a Poodle/Shihtzu; a Cockapoo, which is a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle, and a purebred Havanese. We played with all the puppies in a "playroom," which had all kinds of toys for the kids and dogs to play with. After careful consideration, we decided Canine Corral was the place to purchase our new puppy, and we decided on the Poosh! This was the smartest dog around! Now with regard to price, we had been to several pet stores, and while it wasn't as inexpensive as the pound, our new pup was significantly less than other stores in the area. They included a lot of great things with the puppy to help offset the cost as well. For us, it was definitely a good deal because they gave us a training course included with the puppy. We spent almost two hours with one of their trainers, who taught us how to housebreak the new dog. Not only that, but we have additional free sessions that will cover come, sit, stay etc.

Plus, they included other great things as well, like free vet care, the microchip, and a 5-year health warranty. That really impressed us, as we didn't see that anywhere else. Well, I think it is obvious that we would recommend this place to anyone in our inner circle, or just anyone that we meet along the way. The staff was great, our pup is great, and when we go away over the summer, they are going to board our pup for us as well. Thanks to Canine Corral for a two thumbs up experience!

Original review: March 31, 2009

This is a funny story. My family and I (I have 4 younger brothers and sisters so there is 7 of us total in the family) We were debating on getting a puppy or a plasma screen tv. I wanted a puppy and so did all my brother and sisters. My mother wanted whatever made us happy but my father was certain that he wanted the plasma tv. After doing our research, to get a healthy puppy from a reputable store the average cost of a puppy was $1200 which is about the same price as the plasma tv. So I found Canine Corral online and fell in love with their puppies and thought they were the perfect shop for our family to visit. Our first visit to the pet store was amazing. The guy that helped us was so nice and helpful. He was very patient with us and recommended the puppies that would be best for our family. The store is very clean and the puppies all look happy and healthy. One was cuter than the next. My father asked a lot of questions. We had a family meeting outside the store and the next minute we were in the store picking out collars for our new puppy! Our morkie puppy! Candy! is so cute and she is so sweet like candy! My father did a complete turn around in the store, he let us get a princess bed for her and clothes, I am so happy and we love our new puppy. At the pet store they covered instructions on how to take care of her and train her so we are all going to do this as a family. Nobody in the family even cares that we didn?t get a plasma tv, the puppy loves us so much and the tv wasn't going to do that! Thanks to the most amazing pet store in the world! Canine Corral.

Original review: March 30, 2009

I need to share with all the wonderful experience I had doing business with Canine Corral and Ira. My wife grew up in New York and got her firt maltese puppy from Canine Corral. When we met and then married I too loved this little one. Everyone always raved about how beautiful she was and looked like a show dog. She was just a great, and very healthy pet.( I enjoyed not having any vet bills). She lived to age 15 and we were heartbroken to loose her. We were petless for 5 years feeling she could not be replaced. Well (after talking with Ira and telling him my plans) in June of last year I flew to New York. Ira had 8 maltese puppies for me to choose from, It was hard to choose. Now she is a year old, healthy, soooo cute and trained really easily. I call Canine corral my happy place. Thanks Ira

Original review: March 27, 2009

This is a funny story. My family and I (I have 4 younger brother and sisters so there is 7 of us total in the family) We were debating on getting a puppy, or a plasma screen tv. I wanted a puppy and so did all my brothers and sisters. My mother wanted whatever made us happy but my father's vote was all the way for the plasma tv. After doing our research, to get a healthy puppy from a reputable store the average cost of a puppy was $1200 which is about the same price as the plasma tv. So I found Canine Corral Kennels online and fell in love with their puppies online and thought they were the perfect shop for our family to visit. Our first visit to the pet store was amazing. The guy, Dan that helped us was so nice and helpful. He was very patient with us and recommended the puppies that would be best for our family. The store is very clean and the puppies all look happy and healthy. One was cuter than the next. My father asked a lot of questions about each breed, and they wowed us with all their health guarantees. We had a family meeting outside the store and the next minute we were in the store picking out leashes and collars for our new puppy! Our morkie puppy, Candy, is so cute and she is so sweet, just like candy! My father did a complete turn around in the store, he let us get a princess bed for her and clothes etc. etc., I am so happy and we love our new puppy. At the pet store they covered instructions on how to take care of her and train her so we are all going to do this as a family. Nobody in the family even cares that we didn't get a new tv. The puppy loves us so much, and we couldn't love the puppy any more than we do. The tv certainly wasn't going to do that! Thanks to the most amazing pet store in the world, CANINE CORRAL!!!

Original review: March 23, 2009

I recently bought a Boston Terrier from Canine Corral. I am very pleased with my purchase, and would recommend them to anyone. One thing that I really liked was their extended health warranties, I checked with many private breeders and was unable to locate any who would warranty their puppies for longer than 30 days, if that. My dog came with a standard 90 day health warranty, and they also gave me a 5 year health warranty included!!

Original review: March 20, 2009

I purchased a Poodle/shih-szu puppy from Canine Corral in early February. I have been delighted by not only the dog, but the service I have received as well. Ira and his staff have gone out of their way to make sure my experience with this dog has been as positive as possible. All questions and concerns have been addressed and the dog is healthy and happy as well.

In my adult life I have had 5 dogs, 2 from breeders and 3 from pet stores. I have not found that buying from a breeder was any better than buying from a pet store. It is my opinion that the biggest problem people have when purchasing a dog is that their expectations are unrealistic. I think many people expect their dog to be like the ones they see on television commercials, and when they find out this isn't how it is, they are at a loss. A dog requires a tremendous amount of time and effort, particularly a puppy. Ira and his staff have gone out of their way to help me with the training and assimilation of this puppy into my home.
Original review: March 19, 2009

My family already has two cockapoo's from Canine Corral. My kids are now grown up and out of the house away at College. My wife had been on my case to get another one, as the two we have are aging, and she felt a little void around the house. We went in, and as I knew she would, she fell in love with a beautiful black cockapoo. We now have the new pup at home, and are finding that the other two are training the new one. We couldn't be happier, and wouldn't purchase anywhere else. Thanks to everyone there for all the help and support. A special thanks to Karen for all the advice on bringing a new puppy into our crowded house!!

Original review: March 18, 2009

On a reccomendation from a friend, I went to Canine Corral when our family was ready to get another dog after our beloved cocker spaniel, Sandy, passed away.

I had never been to a puppy store before and was anxious about what to choose, what questions to ask, etc... it had been so long since we had a PUPPY!
Original review: March 17, 2009

I bought a little teacup chihuahua from Dan. He picked up the dog, brought it over to me and said this is the one for you! Well, I had the dog in a playroom 2 seconds later. 2 minutes after that I was buying the dog. Dan thank you again for picking out the perrfect puppy for me. And thanks to Ron for all the training help. I'll be back when I'm ready for the next one.

Original review: March 13, 2009

I recently bought a maltese, and a teacup yorkie. One for my wife for our anniversary and one for my daughter for graduating highschool. Most other stores had these two breeds for double the price. Thanks to Canine Corral for making it affordable to me.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2009

I purchased two doberman pinscher's from canine corral who are both stunning. The store came highly reccomended to us, and we are very happy that we found canine corral. I have since sent in two friends, one for a boxer, and one for a yellow lab. They really take care of you regarding price and supplies. great place!!! two thumbs up!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2009

I just bought the most cutest puppy ever. I had a hard time finding a little tiny yorkie that I could afford. My friend reccomended me to Canine Corral, which I could not have been happier with. I got the hottest little yorkie at a price that I could pay...So thanks to Canine Corral for making my dream possible.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2009

Well, from the first moment we walked in the door my wife and I knew that this was a different kind of pet store. THERE WAS NO SMELL! That sold us right away, knowing the conditions were so well maintained. Then we sall that all the puppies were in cute cribs and jumping around. The salespeople were very knowledgable, and gave us all kinds of training for our new puppy. We will definitely continue to reccomend all of our friends, and non friends also to you! Thanks for little bella. My kids can't thank you enough.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2008

It is holiday time and my daughter surprises me with a Pomeranian puppy from Canine Corral. I work full time sometimes 50 hours a week. A puppy was not on my wish list at this time. Regardless, my daughter is 17 years old a minor under the law. Canine Corral deceptively lures her into a financing contract with Wells Fargo bank all she needs is an 18 year old to sign the contract. She gets a friend to sign this loan at 43.00 per month for the next 4 years at an interest rate of 21.9% . The puppy cost 1400 and interest charges would be 750. An 18 year old has no credit at this point in his life, but the loan gets approved somehow. I called Janine the so called Manager at Canine Corral on her cell which was given to me by the sales person. She turns out to be the coldest animal lover in the world and told her I need to return this puppy I am not able to care for this puppy it deserves a good home with people at home to love and care for the puppy. I tell her that Allen told my daughter she had 14 day to return the puppy. I also told her my daughter is only 17 you should of explained things to her and at least called the homeowner where the puppy will be living if a puppy is allowed to come home. When a minor gets a tattoo or piercing a notorized letter must given to the establishment with the parents signature allowing it.

Janine was so rude she said it is up to you to explain these things to your children and there is nothing I can do. I can't beleive a person like this is a manager in a pet store. She has no customer service skills whats so ever or empathy. I read the contract and see it states a return will be granted if the puppy is found to be in ill health. I take the puppy to the vet they recommend, name I will not disclose because it is quite reputable. The Vet tells me the puppy has kennel cough and he needs medication. I ask the vet to put this writing for me. He drafts the medical findings and also adds that the owner is not able to care for this dog on a full time basis to administer the medications. I have called Janine and the customer service line all weekend no one has called back. At one point I was told don't worry someone will call you back. No one has called, Canine Corral owned by Rabbi Ira Nierman is a disgrace to the community it is a puppy mill with sales people that probably work on commission. That is why all sales are final the sales person was paid his money. I do not recommend this pet store to anyone. Businesses that trive on young teenagers should be shut down immediately. As for AKA papers I found nothing in my daughters paperwork stating this dog was AKA or ACA. My daughter was clearly a victim of deceptive sales practices. I was informed from several animal shelters that they investigate the homes that the animal will be adopted in. Go to a shelter or a breeder to get a pet do not go to Canine Corral all they care about is money not the well being of the pet. I am not done with Ira Nierman and Janine I am taking this to small claims court. He should be arrested for what he does to young innocent children all in the name of money,
Original review: Dec. 24, 2008

I bought a fantastic dog from Canine Corral, and it's the only place I'd buy one. Ira is incredible and so is the service, from Megan, Dan, Alan and anyone else that I've dealt with there. My puppy, Nyssa, now 8 months old is in great shape, healthy, loves everyone, has a habitual licking and cuddling habbit and is adorable. I highly recommend them and if you have any questions, email me.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2008

I purchased a 10 week old Mini Dachshund from Canine Coral in June of 2006. When examined by the vet immediately, she had kennel cough. Okay that is quite popular in a place with many dogs, and spreads easily so I let it slide. However while waiting for her papers, she indeed was not AKC registerd, she was ACA. Since I did not get her to breed her I let that slide, however I did call them on being liars about her registry. In return they offered me free grooming for life. Didn't take them up on it, because I didn't want her coming home with any other ailments just from going there period. All I can say is they are extremely rude as well as ignorant once they have your money and you are out of their store. Before that, Ira is the perfect gentleman. Thank god my dog is almost 3 and healthy and I love her to death. What I have learned from all of this.....WE MUST STOP BUYING DOGS - there are plenty of wonderful animals in the shelters, that would love to come home with you. I urge every single person that reads this to please adopt, and do not purchase. That is how puppy mills stay in business. If you must have a certain breed, do not buy it from a store, seek out a reputable breeder instead. My next dog will be adopted from a shelter that is for sure. Any animal will give you unconditional love, and never expect you to pay a penny for it, nevermind thousands of dollars. In their eyes it comes FREE!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2008

I went to Canine Corral with my wife, and two daughters. We had heard from friends a lot about many different breeds. There was a gentleman in the store, Dan who was extremely helpful in finding our family the right breed. We now have our happy healthy puppy for 6 months, and we are definitely going back for a little playmate for our cockapoo, noodles. Thanks Dan, and everyone else over at Canine Corral.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2008

I would like to say that I have 2 dogs from canine corral and they are both very healthy dogs. The only problem I had with one of my dogs was with house breaking, and the very knowledgeable staff at canine corral walked me through the housebreaking step by step until my dog was fully housebroken.

I would also like to mention that I have many family and friends that over the years have also purchased their lovable healthy puppies from canine corral and are satisfied and happy, and this is why we all keep going back-- because we trust them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2008

I have been a customer at Canine Corral for the past 5 years, and up to this date I have not had any complaints about the dogs that I have purchased from them. I have purchased 3 dogs and up to this date, they have been very healthy dogs. I do take my dogs to the vet on a regular basis.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2008

Canine Corral has to be one of the saddest places I have ever been to. Many of the puppies had neon green mucus dripping from there noses and when asked if this was normal, staff said yes. Can you believe this?? Also they had a kitten inside of one of there cages with a puppy, and the puppy was just beating this poor kitten up.

My friend purchased a puppy Shih Tzu from them about 6 months ago and it died after her having it only a week. My neighbor also purchased a puppy there, it died. They gave them a replacement, which also died. How is this place even still in business? I have driven by there a couple of times and have witnessed people protesting there store from across the street. Make this place stop, please.

Original review: June 26, 2008

Last August My daughter purchased a Doberman puppy, Canine Corral said that it was a pedigree dog and would send along the papers in two weeks. No papers were sent and we called and were told to give it a bit more time,another two weeks, again no papers so I called the second time and was told to wait about three weeks. When once again we received no papers I reread all our papers my daughter received with the dog and it has a discloser in it that we have the right to papers and if we do not receive them and we have contacted the store twice we can have this remedied under the law. We feel that this dog was sold to my daughter under false pretense and it is not in fact a pedigree and it is not worth the $1189.39 Canine Corral charged so we are now taking them to small claims court for remebursement.

This store sold my daughter a very expensive dog along with unnessary extras such as a food and water bowl that was small enough for a cat not a large breed dog, food that our vet does not recomend for puppies and a vitamins such as coat supplement, and health extention powder, if in fact this is a healthy puppy it should not need these frivolous supplements, my daughter spent $1400.00 when the dog is worth maybe $400.00

Original review: April 9, 2008

In January of 2007 I purchased a purebred black and tan dachshund. I brought him to a vet they reccomended near my home and the doctor said he was in great condition. He didn't have any parasites which was great, no kennel cough, nothing. He was a great puppy.

Well, on October 29, 2007, I came home to find his cage pushed in the kitchen (he was in the cage) from the next room over and blood was all over the floor. He was having ceizures. His tongue was out of his mouth and his eyes were fluttering. I rushed him to the vet with my neighbor and the 10 minute drive to the vet he had 2 more ceizures. They started him on anticonvulsion medication and he wasn't coming out of the ceizure. I had to put my puppy to sleep. He was only a year and one month old.

When I contacted Janine at canine corral, she said she needed a letter form the vet stating what procedure was taken, bloodwork, medical records, and my receipt. I wanted my money back. The only option they gave me was a replacement puppy. This woman had no sympathy for me at all. SHe was so cold, it was as if she didn't even care. The vet I took him to was not my primary and she said that she's seen this before and it couldve been caused by overbreeding. Basically, a mother should not be bred more than twice. In the later litters, genetic defects like epilepsy are more common. It hurts so bad to know that they probably were not getting puppies from responsible breeders and my whole family had to go through heartbreak. If you purchase a puppy from here, please look into the breeders first.

Original review: March 31, 2008

I purchased a mix breed puppy 8wks old shi-poo the puppy had problems breathing in the beginning I Call the store they told me he was stressed I took him to my vet they said there was no apparent problems about a week after that my puppy had a siezure I took the puppy to my vet he diagnosied the dog with epilepsy when i Canine corral to let them know they told me to bring the dog back or to have the dog put down I choose to keep baily he was put on medicine. I told the canine corral of what was going on they said that i would have to prove this was a generic disease if i wanted any money back well just recently bailey died from a two hour siezure he just turned three in Feb when I called the store to let them aware of the fact they said there was nothing they could do and hung up

Original review: Dec. 22, 2007

Last year in december of 06 I purchased what I was told was an AKC registered great dane from Ira Nierman. Ended up the dane was not AKC but ACA registered. About four months into owning the dog she was diagnosed with a pancreatic indeficiency, which cost us over 300 dollars a month in medicine to keep her alive. The poor dog was in an out of the vets office and by the time she was a year old her file at the vet was two inches thick with lists of problems she had. A few days before chistmas our dog had developed an eye infection and had become very lathargic. She spent 3 full nights a the vet and was then diagnosed with yet another ailment, an immune system deficiency.

At 12 30 am on the fourth night we were contacted by our vet. Our dog had gone into siezures, her back legs were going out from under her and she had lost a considerable amount of wieght. Later that night she had to be put down at a little over a year old, and three days before christmas. Buyer Beware: this man runs a puppy mill, and should be shut down permanently.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2007

We purchased a 4 month old mixed-breed (Mal-Shi) from Canine Corral in august 2007. Canine Corrals intermediary lied about the puppys approximated weight, health history and current living situation. Upon a visit to our home the dog exhibited slow reflexes, labored breathing and as well as what seemed as a vision impairment. When asked about her ailments we were told the dog was given a clean bill of health by a well trusted vet.

A day before we picked up the dog we were told, I need to be straight forward with you, the dog has kennel cough.? We figured it was not a debilitating disease so we decided to take the dog to our own vet. Upon bringing the dog to the vet we were advised to bring the dog back due to a serious respiratory infection as well as a vision deficiency. When the dog was brought back to Canine Corral it seemed as if they were aware of the dogs problems, and had no remorse for deceiving a customer. From our understanding the dog has and will receive no medical attention and will soon be euthanized.

The conditions inside Canine Corral can only be described as appalling. Dogs are stuffed in endless rows of crates. The cages are far from sanitary and disease can spread rapidly. Dogs with kennel cough are relegated back to there crates where they spread there infections to other animals. I dont know when the last time Canine Corral was inspected, but we believe the business is due for an unscheduled inspection. From our understanding dogs that are returned do to health issues that cannot be inexpensively resolved are euthanized. It becomes a self perpetuating condition were sick dogs make other dogs sick. God only knows where Ira sources some of these puppies, but I doubt they are coming from registered breeders.

As a pet lover, and as a community we need to stop such activities such as the above mentioned. The Canine Corral is doing a disservice to the dog community in our area. Included is a list of other reported instances of deception and poor treatment to animals.

Canine Corral Company Information