Rhapsody.com

Compare Entertainment Companies

Research top Entertainment Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Rhapsody no longer functions as it always has. The online streaming part of Rhapsody has always been FREE in the past with some albums restricted to being only for paid software users to buy the albums. Now that it is Napster, the online streaming service is no longer free and for users of the latest version of Windows, using the software to download music does NOT WORK AT ALL! If one checks for help, Napster says to go back to a previous (read: insecure) version of Windows.

I have been a long time customer, not overly happy with service but all these years I made it work on my MP3 player from Sony. Now since the switch in software and companies everything is not working. I tried to cancel and I found out that they refuse to give a refund. I am a yearly customer, and just renewed in July 2016 now stuck until June 2017 no refund. My next step is contact the Attorney General and BBB.

Rhapsody 4 and earlier versions were my choice for downloading music to my mp3 player. I have been with them for at least 7 years and was never dissatisfied. Then came version 6 and the end of version 4. It's been nothing but a nightmare since the conversion. Bad GUI, horrible customer service, irrelevant or incomplete FAQs, fewer players (maybe one or two now) that will sync with the service, exasperating searches, download a symphony or other multi-part form of music and it will appear on your player in random order, not in sequence as needed and customer service can't explain why or how to fix the problem, any of the problems I've had. So as much as I hate to say it, I can better spend my monthly subscription fee at iTunes. I just wish they hadn't discontinued version 4 and let us use it if we wanted. But they didn't. So it's adios, amigo.

I have been having trouble with Rhapsody since they "upgraded" to the current version. First, I had multiple repeats of songs... called customer service. They couldn't figure it out. Now, music won't download to my mp3 player... this has been going on for weeks now, and they can't figure it out. I'm done. I've been a Rhapsody customer for YEARS. I am really loyal to my brands but this is the end for them. I need to find a new subscription service. Does anyone have any recommendations? Not Apple please... I refuse to buy an overpriced iPod.

I will NEVER use Rhapsody again! I was just charged today for my monthly billing and this afternoon my bank just called to inform me that my debit card has been hacked and I have to get a new one because my acct was hacked from using and paying Rhapsody! Now I'm with customer support demanding my money back and all they want to tell me is that I can close my account with Rhapsody. What? Seriously? They don't care that my personal information has been hacked because of them only that if I feel the need I can just close my account!! What a crock!! PEOPLE DO NOT USE RHAPSODY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rhapsody.com?

I signed up for Rhapsody's Premiere service and after a few months, decided to unsubscribe. Their website is conveniently constructed to not allow you to unsubscribe. Once you sign up, they've got you - and your money - forever. They try to throw you off their trail by telling you to unsubscribe through your phone carrier. No, I signed up directly from Rhapsody - it has nothing to do with my phone carrier. After several unsuccessful attempts to unsubscribe through their website and a bad email response from their customer service department, I went to the Better Business Bureau. Hopefully they can get a response from them. I sure haven't been able to. DO NOT do business with this company.

So, I've been a Rhapsody customer for YEARS (about six now, possibly more). I have always paid the 14.99 for 3 devices. Whenever me or another person simultaneously attempt to listen to DOWNLOADED music, I get an error message saying "This account is in use at another location. This session will now end". I called Rhapsody, and they upgraded me to the "FAMILY" plan, which I believe was supposed to be 5+ devices, no ending of sessions. There are still only THREE users on my account and I STILL get my sessions ENDED because 2 or more of us are listening to (DOWNLOADED) music at the same time from different devices. RIPOFF!

I have been a Rhapsody customer for years. With two other users in the house the monthly cost was reasonable to download and listen to all the music we wanted to hear. On our phones (iphone and Samsung) there are no problems. I am very annoyed, however that I cannot take the music I have download on my devices and put it on another device or storage unit like a cd.

Indeed, the platform is a little outdate but for those of us with teenagers driving non-Bluetooth equipped vehicles and/or with third or fourth generation smart phones (i.e. the middle class) it is so frustrating that we cannot take our music and make a cd for our children to drive around town. The whole world is not bluetooth equipped with the proper smartphone technology yet we pay for the subscription that should allow us the freedom to listen to the music we purchase in all the ways we prefer. This is crap. Rhapsody? You are crap for making this option obsolete. Shame on you for turning your back on the next generation of potential consumers. I know my kids are done with you. They are fondly known as generation Z. Ugh.

After being pimped about 50 times to "upgrade to the new Rhapsody" I took the pain and did it. Thank G I still have the old version on my computer. The new is just a mess for searching for songs. Going backwards Rhapsody.

I joined Rhapsody to enjoy ORIGINAL 50s and 60s songs. A poor choice; most songs were re-recordings. It was when I tried to quit Rhapsody that the nightmare began. Rhapsody had charged my credit card $9.99 for 1 month of service, and I used their website to cancel my subscription. After moving around their 1980s website, "My Account Information" said I had no billing history. That month I was again charged $9.99 on my credit card. I called Rhapsody, but the only information available (from a computer voice) was directions back to their website. The website is worthless, and there seems to be no way of getting hold of a real live consumer services person. The only way I could solve this problem was to call my credit card service, and put a BLOCK on any and all charges from Rhapsody. Rhapsody's website says if you fail to pay, your membership is cancelled. My advice is to STAY AWAY FROM RHAPSODY!

The last several "upgrades" of the Rhapsody player have steadily continued to make it more difficult to enjoy the artists and playlists that have become a part of my life since I began using Rhapsody back in the "Real" days. It takes a ridiculous amount of effort to try find, then enjoy new or favorite artists. The loss of the equalizer is completely nonsensical and the latest version of the player may have pushed me over the edge. I have stubbornly refused to drink the Apple and iTunes Kool-Aid because of cost and what I used to consider a superior product, but Rhapsody's fallen so far that it's no longer even equivalent.

Why in the world did they discontinue the sound equalizer on computer app? Seems like I can access it on my Android, but nothing doing on computer. Some of my downloads are from the 60's, of mono quality, but the new software prevents you from adjusting the quality of the sound.

My biggest complaint is the constant BUFFERING. Songs begin playing and then just stop for no reason whatsoever. Customer service [again, agreeing with the masses that it's a total joke] told me to uninstall and reinstall new software. Still no stopping the buffering. I always use WiFi as an interface, as recommended by T-Mobile and Rhapsody customer service. I also have a WiFi hot spot on my smart phone so I can get apps, etc. when traveling through zones with poor WiFi service. Rhapsody still buffers! The only way around this is to access libraries you've permanently downloaded onto your sim card.

And finally, apparently the new software allows you to queue up to three playlists for your constant listening pleasure, but you can't pick and choose within the libraries which songs you wish to hear, and which you wish to skip. If you queue up the playlist, you're stuck with all of them. And, in the case of a long road trip where you might want to listen to the random song mixer, no such doing on the smartphone app.

I'm tired of being billed for poor customer service, software that keeps changing, an obvious push into streaming music and unradio application, and an obvious sham/scam when it comes to previously downloaded, paid-for music, that's no longer available. Can someone say "theft"????

Rhapsody no longer sells or let you burn cds, but what's worse, you can no longer store your imported or purchased music, which means if you upgrade to Rhapsody 6 you will lose all that music from your Rhapsody library. To add insult to injury, you cannot export a list of your Rhapsody music or copy and paste it to see the list you have. Which means before I cancel (which I'm doing ASAP), I have to sit and take screenshots of all my music so I can see what I am losing and take that list to iTunes to re-import.

There is no good technical reason for them to not let you store your imported/purchased music, and to not let you export your list of Rhapsody music, or AT LEAST copy and paste the list. As far as I can tell, Rhapsody is now useless and obsolete in my book. The good news is I'm switching to iTunes, which has 26 million songs as compared to Rhapsody's 3 million. Plus I can buy/burn songs as well. So it will be a major upgrade. R.I.P. Rhapsody.

To folks having problems downloading to MP3: I also had the problem - this fixed it for me: Install Rhapsody 6 (but do not uninstall Rhapsody 4). Login to Rhapsody 6. Download a song to your pc. Open the song with Windows Media Player (not sure what version this will work with - I am using Windows Media Player 12). You will get a message that the song is not compatible with current DRM and an option to update DRM components. Click Yes to update DRM components. Once updated you should be able to play a song with WMP. Close Rhapsody 6 (if you have been using your MP3 device with Version 4 and have not attempted to reformat in order to work with Rhapsody 6). Open Rhapsody 4. Update internal clock and update track licenses. Try downloading a song - it now works (at least for me).

Notes: Agree with all about the ongoing technical issues using Rhapsody. It has always been a love/hate relationship with me. Once I can no longer use Rhapsody 4 I will be ending my relationship with them. They have basically dropped many of the features I found useful: Custom Radio Stations, Display of albums even if not in the Rhapsody library. I doubt 4 will be around much longer - they are moving to the 'mobile device' subscription model and I suspect support for MP3/DRM will go away. Not that it is entirely Rhapsody's fault - DRM sucks. Good luck.

Years ago (12) I had a Rhapsody account and I loved it. I have moved on and changed jobs, computers, email addresses, and have not used the service in about 6 years. Every August without fail I get a billing from them. Their customer service is virtually non-existent. When I do get someone on the line I tell them my dilemma and they say I need to login and manage my account and they tell me to download the software and enjoy their service. I don't want it!!! My account login does not have my credit card attached to it anywhere I can find. I want my money back! This company should be seriously investigated.

I have been with Rhapsody for 4 yrs and paid by monthly auto deduction from checking account. In June this year they explained if I paid for full year in advance I would save so I did. I have had one problem after another unable to Authorize laptop so I cannot download any tracks on laptop and everyday I have to reinstall application. And on tablet error messages where I can't even access my playlist. I have made numerous calls to Rhapsody and after being on hold forever call is dropped for no reason and this continues several times and when I finally reach a tech and explain my issue and a promise to resolve problem ends with my call being disconnected yet again.

I contact them by email and get a reply that someone will call to help. I set up date, time and provide phone number but of course I receive no call from tech support or company period. I cancelled my subscription and message I receive it that it will be cancelled in June 2016. I can't get anyone from Rhapsody to speak with me or answer when I call to explain why I am forced to wait until June 2016, thereby continue paying them for service they are not providing.

My daughter downloaded this YEARS ago, and neither she nor I have used it for the past ten years. They keep charging my card and you cannot cancel without logging in, but neither of us knows the log in info. I finally got a person on the phone and was assured that it had been cancelled after I disputed it with my credit card but they STILL are trying to charge me. This is the worst music app out there.

I was a Rhapsody customer for about 8 years. I am a runner, and I've always loved the ability to download new stuff to my MP3 player on a subscription model -- that's perfect for me. I also have many thousands of MP3 tracks ripped off my old CD collection, and a number of playlists that blend my personally-owned tracks with Rhapsody's subscription tracks. For a long time, Rhapsody was my little running nirvana. Very recently, they changed their business model and forced a software update that pulled the rug out from under us.

First of all, none of my previously-licensed subscription tracks will now play on my MP3 player. This destroys almost all of my playlists. In addition, the new Windows app that they force on us no longer recognizes my own music files, thus obliterating thousands of tracks and further decimating my meticulously crafted playlists. We can no longer have playlists that mix our CD tracks with Rhapsody's subscription tracks. Finally, Rhapsody doesn't seem to be able to read my MP3 player any more. I understand that these devices are increasingly rendered outdated by cell phones, but they are still heavily in-use by distance runners like me.

If Rhapsody is going to an all-streaming model and will no longer support MP3 devices, it is a useless service for me. I cancelled my subscription earlier today. I've had the sense that Rhapsody is being out-hustled by its competitors for a while, so I've been expecting this day. Still kind of sad though.

Let's get one thing straight - Rhapsody has never been an easy-to-use or technically flawless service. But the July 2015 "upgrade" from Rhapsody 4 to Rhapsody 6 has been an unmitigated disaster for customers. I am one of those who got some spotty success with it when first installed, but then when trying to re-authorize my MP3 player, Rhapsody started to not recognize it, and syncing was a mess - songs would try to re-sync over and over, leaving the other songs "behind" them in the queue unable to transfer to the device.

Customer support has been a complete joke. Their canned responses involve telling the user to go into the depths of admin system access on your computer, updating Microsoft's DRM (which they even prepare you for the fact that it probably won't work, because they have multiple "if that doesn't work, try this" instructions in their FAQ). Just a terrible, sad company that has not only lost this customer, but "lost" the music streaming war to Apple and Spotify.

In July I noticed that I could no longer add any new tracks to the Sony mp-3 I have been using with Rhapsody for 8 years or so. In trouble shooting I discovered that permissions had been altered and my mp-3 was not supported anymore. I further discovered that as of August I could not even validate the existing tracks on my walkman, although Rhapsody still automatically deducted the monthly charge. In attempt to fix the issue I re-installed Rhapsody which promptly installed the Rhapsody 6 update.

I contacted "support" as I still cannot even validate existing tracks, and I was given suggestions for "workarounds" that are time consuming and useless, so my mp-3 had been virtuously useless for a month now. Basically they just ripped me off without notice and have not even responded to my last message asking for a refund. New or considering this "service"? Stay away from Rhapsody as they have always been problematic over the years I have dealt with them, and by the way the new Rhapsody 6 is terrible anyways!

Evidently Rhapsody performed an update. My old software just quit working. So I updated and found the new software is unworkable - seemingly offers less service (hard to tell since I couldn't get it to work) and erased 99 percent of the songs on my mp3 device that I had worked very hard to collect. I canceled my subscription.

I'm tired of other music apps. They repeat songs even though I'm listening to a genre of a decade. Then there are advertisements. Downloaded Rhapsody. I'm listening for 1 hour and they already started to repeat songs! Ridiculous! Thank goodness it is a 7 day free trial! They sure will not get any $$$ of my money!

Rhapsody changed their website, and allegedly upgraded. The music that I purchased is gone, none of the devices are working with Rhapsody. Poor customer service.

I started as a Napster customer. I had Napster to go. I liked the idea of being able to take all my songs with me in my car via the MP3 player. Napster was acquired by Rhapsody. It has been a steady deterioration of product quality ever since. First, the user interface is not only more difficult to use, but the program frequently becomes non-responsive. Now, I'm told that with the upgrade to version 6, that my MP3 player will no longer be compatible. I've lost much time and many of the songs that I built up over the years because of re-formatting and changing to upgrades. Rhapsody has become increasing less desirable with all the hassles and obstacles I've encountered, as a customer, since they took over Napster. I've wanted to adjust to the changes, but it is uncertain whether I will remain with Rhapsody in the future.

With the latest update of their software, Rhapsody has conscribed millions of subscribers to be pawns in their coercion of artists to allow unlimited streaming. While that isn't such a bad thing on many levels - it is not something that any artist should be forced to agree to. It must remain the artists' choice and they should be able to choose to participate in the business model or not. This is exactly what Rhapsody has now done by no longer allowing you to access your personal library of music (much of which could have been purchased from Rhapsody in their previous versions). As in my case you can be left with hundreds of well-loved recordings that you bought and paid for that you now can no longer play.

The reason you cannot play them is due to a number of factors: 1. The artist may have decided to no longer allow streaming access. 2. Rhapsody may decide, due to lack of popularity, that it should no longer be maintained in their library. If either of these are true, then you no longer can play those recordings. In all previous versions of Rhapsody they happily sold you copies of the song(s) for anywhere from 79 cents to $1.49. They were kept local on your drive and you could play them as often as you cared to. With their latest software you can no longer play them if either of the above two issues occur (dropped by the artist or dropped by Rhapsody due to lack of popularity). The latest version also no longer allows you to burn CDs of music you purchased (fair use) or RIP music from CDs you have purchased (again: fair use).

These last two features are more convenience than an obligation - but it is very annoying for anyone who liked to purchase music and be able to play it in their automobiles CD system (that's millions of cars). Rhapsody gives you a link to "suggest" additions to their library - but it's laughable and feels like a black hole. From a practical standpoint it's a non-starter because they make the link to the suggestion page extremely hard to find and if it were easy to access they would likely get hundreds of thousands of requests a week and simply could not handle it. So why not allow people to play music they have purchased? Why not allow people to play music from their own libraries?

To assume it is not legitimate is prior restraint and doesn't even remotely expose Rhapsody to any liability if it isn't legitimate. Instead there is a deeper, darker and nefarious reason: they want us, the millions of consumers, to force artists to submit to a business model that is only in the best interest of Rhapsody and their ilk. I feel used; do you? Rhapsody might claim some lame technical reason for not supporting personal libraries, but being a software engineer I can assure you anything they might say in this realm is total BS. Rhapsody has been around for a long time. They are the juggernaut that bought up and deprecated the likes of MusicMatch and Yahoo Music (the latter I think just gave up). MusicMatch was brilliant, Yahoo was OK, and up until this latest release Rhapsody was sufferable.

Sure I can play some music with Windows music player, and some with Rhapsody, but that's not a very cohesive user experience - nor is it what I want. There are other music services out there: Spotify, Pandora, etc. I find them less sufferable than the previous version of Rhapsody - their user interfaces assume the only thing you do with your computer is play their music. To their credit Rhapsody's current software is pretty nice. It is clean and easy to use. Adding music is a snap. Their lack of support for a personal library, however, is so egregiously evil and agenda laden that I had to say goodbye and cancel my subscription - a subscription that dates back to the MP3 Player I purchased from Dell in 2002 that came with MusicMatch.

One final word: I have to wonder if there is not some legal action that could be taken (class action perhaps) on behalf of the consumers that purchased music from Rhapsody that can no longer be played? I'm sure Rhapsody has already cleared their actions through a huge legal department and there's really nothing we can do but plead with Fagin for more...

Login with a Verizon account is next to impossible if you ever forget your password. Once you have your music downloaded and they have an update you lose all of your music and they don't give you an option to automatically download it. Same thing for when you upgrade your device. The service will occasionaly not work if you don't have internet access. Work well if you.

Rhapsody...where do I begin? I was a customer of theirs for over 10 years. The past 6 months, yes unfortunately I did say 6 months, the app consistently kept freezing up, music would not stream, buttons would not respond. I would contact Rhapsody and they were extremely gracious in the amount of free service they would give me for my trouble -- I mean, really a ridiculous amount of free service. That said, free service was not what I was looking for. I would go through these hoops with the agents on things to do to fix the problem. The proposed solutions either did not work at all or would work for a little while then the issues would begin again so I would keep them informed, or so I thought I was, by sending them crash reports.

Then my billing time would come and since it still was not working I did not pay and so I would get these emails from them notifying me of my service being on hold. And I would reply by saying that I was aware of that but had not heard back from them about my ongoing technical support issues and that my service still was not working. So again would start the merry-go-round of them issuing me free service with suggestions to fix it. In this regard Rhapsody and I became like an old married couple with a dysfunctional routine but had been dealing with it for so long it had almost become a necessity.

So back about 2 months ago I lost my wallet and thus cancelled my credit cards and was issued new ones. Since my Rhapsody still was not working I did not bother giving them the new numbers. In fact due to my paranoia over the wallet theft I had not used them anywhere I normally shop online until a very fateful 4 days ago. I entered my credit card information into my Amazon account. The next morning on my bank statement appeared a Rhapsody charge. I immediately emailed Rhapsody to express my anger at this and inquired as to how exactly they acquired my new credit card information. The response I initially got was one stating that if I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card that I needed to contact my bank, that they were unable to take responsibility for fraud on my card.

I explained to them that they were the ones who charged me and asked them if they have credit card sniffers embedded in their app. Asked them how exactly they acquired not just my new credit card number but also the security code and my new zip code since I had recently moved as well and told them that my bank was probably the last people they wanted me to speak with because then there would be an investigation and corporate lawyers. They then became very cooperative, refunded my money, and cancelled my account without any more debate. All in all for reasons of performance, customer services, and most importantly personal security of your credit card information I would strongly suggest avoiding them. There is enough risk out there online without a company like this.

Try listening to this and it plays for a few seconds and stops... $10.00 extra a month for this nonsense...not worth it, going to cancel it...If they try talking you into this mess, DON'T DO IT.

Rhapsody sent me an email saying they didn't like my old password and blocked me access to my account without my permission. Today, 6/19/2015, I cannot access my account, once again, because my password is not being accepted. I would like to know who thinks they have this authority without my consent. I am, also, requesting access to speak with a live representative.

Through the recent media discussions about the new Apple music service, I found out that Rhapsody is currently charging customers for the Premier service $9.99 a month. I went to the Rhapsody website and was able to confirm that they are charging $9.99 for what they call Premier service. I've been paying $14.99 a month for as long as I can remember since I started using Rhapsody through an MP3 player which had the embedded capability. I believe the service I subscribed to was called Premier Plus. It looks like Rhapsody discontinued the Premier Plus service in 2010 but didn't inform me of that, but continued to charge me $14.99/month. I find this plain dishonest and an unfair treatment of loyal long-term customers.

In contrast, for example, phone companies or satellite TV services are quick to inform their customers when changes to service lines or bundled package services occur, giving the customer the option to select an alternate level of service or terminate the service altogether if there are no satisfactory options. It doesn't look like this is Rhapsody's way of doing business. By my account, Rhapsody owes me a refund of $60/year going back to when the change in pricing happened which looks to be around 5 years. In looking at my account details, I see that my current level of service is now called Premier Plus 1 which I believe allows you to stream in two locations at the same time. This is cool but I don't remember being informed of the change let alone accepting it, and is a feature I wouldn't have had interest in.

I filed a complaint with Rhapsody's customer service and I am waiting for their reply but judging from the complaints I've seen in blogs regarding this same issue, I don't anticipate a good response. How can a company get away with kind of behavior? If a service is discontinued, isn't there a duty to inform a customer who subscribe to the service that the service is no longer available and offer them options of changing to equivalent or improved services? Is there a basis for a class action suit? I am sure that the number of Rhapsody customers affected by this rip-off is in the thousands.

Rhapsody.com Company Profile