1.80/5
Based on 76 reviews that contain star ratings

60 GainSaver.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2014

My experience with them is epic and the information I have is VERY lengthy and the truth is a deep ugly whole. I'm considering filing a class action lawsuit because this fraud, theft and destruction of personal property over and over and over is out of control. If you buy from them, you are not getting a refurbished computer but a computer that has REPLACE faulty parts. Unfortunately, they are replacing with even more damaged parts. Sometimes parts and/or drive that don't work at all, screens that are cracked, food in the keyboard... even a keyboard that is not even English. For me, it turned out, when I took to Apple, that the hard in my computer was removed and replaced with different hard drive with a serial number dating 1978.... before Apple existed. With these people, it goes far deeper than they make it appear on the surface. It's so big and so deep. That is how they continue to operate. It's a lot to gather and keep up with. It just kept/keeps going and going.

Original review: June 9, 2014

After searching for a MacBook Pro, I opted to purchase from Gainsaver. The almost $900 unit worked to my satisfaction for about 3 months, then the problems started. After TRYING to contact Gainsaver "Service", I was emailed a list of things that Apple could do for me to diagnose "My Problem". It became pretty evident that Gainsaver was not going to help me AT ALL, and that even a reasonable response was going to be not forthcoming.

Now after a full 6 months of ownership, a new hard drive, it has become evident that this machine was a "wounded duck" before I received it and was not properly refurbished as Gainsaver claims their merchandise is. I have a bad logic board, which pretty much means I gave them my $900 and I have to start over as I cannot possibly fix this unit for any reasonable price. DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THESE BOZOS.

Original review: April 28, 2014

I purchased 2 17-inch Apple MacBook Pro, one for my daughter for her birthday, another for my son, plus the warranty. The display monitor would not come on so I sent it back for repairs. After a few weeks went by, I call customer service for update and someone name Jennifer answer and unprofessional told me to ** off. Flags went up and I started calling everyday until I got the manager. I think his name was Steve who is actually the ring leader, the owner. He informed me that my laptop was destroyed in shipping and they had thrown it in the trash, and I was out my money. The thing is I had an extended warranty, insure on my package. I never heard from them again. The sad part of the story is later I found out the only problem with the laptop was the battery was dead and all I had to do was replace the battery. True story!.... "Please go to Gainsaver.com and on the home page, there is a link to return item. Please fill the form and we can issue you a RMA. Thank you. Customer service..." Late time I seen my Laptop.

Original review: April 7, 2014

I recently purchased and received a used MacBook Air that only functioned for about 45 days. The invoice stated that the computer had a 128 GB Solid State Drive. Upon replacing the solid state drive, I discovered that there was a 120 GB OWC brand replacement solid state drive, not the 128 GB drive that Gainsaver listed on the invoice. I had believed that I would be receiving a 128 GB solid state drive in the computer. This is fraudulent practice.

Original review: March 26, 2014

I'm waiting my refund ($1094) from Gainsaver since January 2014! You can to find all details about this complaints on a video (Gainsaver stay away) I posted on YouTube. Please stay away from this company! Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GainSaver.com?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2014

All I did was ask "What's the difference between used, cheap and refurbished?" Was redirected to customer service... And that's all you need to know about their sales!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2014

As many others have stated, GainSaver advertises very reasonably-priced computers, but they have configurations that do not exist, that could not exist, then try to switch you to another product. For example, every MacBook ever made has a built-in AirPort. It can't easily be removed, as it's not on a card like it was in the older PowerBooks. They spec a base memory amount of 512MB and Mountain Lion installed when that operating system requires at least 2GB and they don't even make 512MB chips that fit in those newer computers.

I've tried to call their bluff and order those non-existent configurations, because I have the spare parts to re-add whatever they might remove. On more than one occasion I have gotten a quick response to contact them about my order. I'm told that the product failed testing, when in reality it was because I didn't configure enough expensive add-ons to make the sale profitable. The last time I got a "failed testing" issue with my order, the salesperson who I spoke with said that it was the "comptroller" who told him that the product failed testing, which basically confirms my accusation that it is financial issue, not a technical one.

The City of Long Beach needs to shut GainSaver down unless they change the way they do business. I own an IT consulting company and I have purchased many usable computers from them, and returned a couple as well. The computers have always worked. If you're lucky, then you'll get a good deal without your order being cancelled because the product "failed testing." But I fix computers for a living and am able to deal with the risk. My problem is with their false advertising, nonexistent customer service. Bottom Line: False advertising. Buyer beware. Untrustworthy liars who may sell you a laptop for cheap.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2014

I bought a unlocked iPhone 4 from Gainsaver. The company sent me a locked phone instead. I tried to called their customer service line, but it does not exist. The only way to contact customer service is to send an email. In that case, their *one* customer service rep calls back whenever works for him. If you are busy when he calls, then it's necessary to put in a new request. I have been trying to connect with their one guy for weeks, and have never been able to. About to pull my hair out over this.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

I agreed to sell my iPhone 3 to GainSaver for $50. They supplied a shipping label (UPS) and I shipped them the phone. On December 23, 2013, they emailed me stating that the phone was not as described (condition) and gave me the option of accepting their revised offer or the return of my phone. I chose to have my phone returned. On December 28, 2013, GainSaver shipped the phone back to me via UPS (Tracking Number **). The package was to be delivered to me on January 6, 2014. On that day GainSaver requested that UPS return the item to them. The phone was delivered back to GainSaver on January 9, 2014 and signed for by Rudy. I have heard nothing from them since. They do not answer my emails, nor will they speak to me on the phone.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

I ordered a computer from this company and it is nothing like I ordered . It took 2 weeks to arrive and was supposed to have XP Pro on it, Has XP only. Will not load right. Will not play videos .This computer is slower than a snail. They told me to send it back but after reading all of the complaints about them I believe it would be a waste of my time and money. Do not buy anything from this outfit. Lesson learned...

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

I called to see if they had a MacBook Pro laptop to replace my old one which had just given up the ghost. I was told they had one so I purchased it and gave my credit card number. A day later, I received a call and was told the one they quoted to me didn't pass their quality test; however, they had a similar one but it had more programs and would cost an additional $125. I said okay. The computer arrived and worked fine EXCEPT when I tried to make some changes, it asked for the administrator password. I called GainSaver and was told they normally do not enter a password or if they do it would be apple. I tried both. Neither worked.

I sent the computer back (at my expense) and told them I would accept it back if the password problem was resolved. Sure enough a week later, it was returned without a password. I finally had a functioning computer but at the additional cost of roughly $150 than I agreed to in the beginning. As far as I am concerned, it was the old bait and switch tactic. I would never do business with them again. One last thing, there is no complaint department as far as I can tell.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2014

Ordered a MacBook from this site for my boyfriend since he spilled coffee on his last one. Got the MacBook today after waiting forever even with expedited shipping. They say it's tested and in perfect working order before they send it. WRONG! I got the laptop today and of COURSE... it has to be plugged in to even work. The battery unit is faulty and even when fully charged. If you remove it from being plugged in, WHAM, shuts off... NICE! Thanks for taking my money and giving me a pile of crap in a box. This company should be shut down for FRAUD! What a scam. I have half a mind to take a giant dump in a box and return it to them and see how THEY like it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2013

This a breakdown how this company works. You will get a used product that will probably work but will be nicked and scratched. They will try to sell you a warranty. Do not buy. You will have to pay to have it returned. They do not repair items, they will just send you another nicked unit. That someone probably sold them to make a little extra money. Customer service is lousy at best. If you have a question they want you to email them. They do not even answer the question, they give you an automated response. If you buy the warranty and return product, you are out $150.00, no refunds. Do yourself a favor. Go to eBay, buy yourself the item. Get SquareTrade Warranty, great company. Oh, and you have PayPal protection.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2013

Save yourself the headaches. Don't buy from this company. They will bait and switch products - offering very low prices on their website, then calling you to tell you they "ran out" of the item you want, but they have one "very close" to it, only it is $100-$200 more.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

Had to prepay for inventory, almost $15k. Tried to get $7k more before shipping. Asked for money back and was told would take 30 days, then told too bad, not going to get it. This company is irresponsible and unethical. I can only hope to get my money back from these scam artists. I now have to hire a lawyer to get monies returned

Original review: July 19, 2013

BUYER BEWARE! They have a different service level when purchasing than they do when you need customer care. We received two computers of 5 that had issues from old or bad video cards, power supplies, which would shut down after 5 hours hours due to overheating. They only took the first back after many calls and on the replacement we could not get them on the phone. We even offered to bring it to them in Long Beach and they refused. The BBB has a few hundred claims on them, 8 in the past quarter. We should have checked prior to purchasing. Per our Mac repair person, which incurred over $260 more to repair their computers, he noted that they remove parts and replace them with older cheaper parts. Per his note: iMac was a 2009, but Gainsaver switched to smaller capacity (160 GB) from FEB 2006 computer - 3 years older hard drive which went after 7 months.

Original review: July 17, 2013

I purchased 2 computers about 2 months ago and after ordering them was told that they didn't have them available so two lesser models were substituted albeit at a reduced price. I can deal with that. When I got them the cases were cracked but the computers were usable. Shortly after, one of the power cords began to spark. I emailed. No reply. Then they both shorted, one catching fire and melting the port on the computer. I am now without a computer and after several emails got no response. I called their line to find that they had no customer service over the phone. I called back and dialed the sales department hoping to get transferred. I was told that there was no customer service and that even though I had no computer as it had caught fire that I couldn't talk to anyone and was transferred to the automated line that told me again to go online.

I called back and asked for a supervisor and was told that the ** I was talking to was the supervisor and that she had no supervisor herself. When I called ** she said that I didn't work there so I couldn't possibly know their hierarchy and was hung up on. I called back and was transferred to a voice-mail immediately that didn't allow a message. The ** had blocked my number. I called from a different number and was told it didn't matter how many numbers I called from she'd block them all. There is no excuse for this kind of service to a customer. They got my $1000, sent me ** and didn't even try to fix it. If this prevents even one person from purchasing from them it'll be worth it. The bad thing is my friend that helped me pick the computer was going to start recommending the site if all went well on the purchase. Now all I have is two burned-out paper weights and a wife with a burn on her hand.

Original review: July 10, 2013

I purchased an Apple laptop from Gainsaver with my Amex - laptop arrived nonfunctional even though I was told (and they advertise) all products tested before shipping. I called within two days and was told to send laptop back - they would credit my card the full amount minus shipping. After waiting five days, there was no credit. I called again and was told it takes 7-10 business days. After 11 days, no credit. I called Amex to dispute charge.

I called Gainsaver - rep who helped me was on vacation - new person said she had my credit and how I would like to proceed. I told her I expressly asked more than two weeks earlier that it should have been credited to my Amex. She said she knew nothing about it and would process my claim within three days. I told her that was not good enough and that I wanted her to credit the card ASAP. She became rude and asked, "Do you want your money back or not?" I told her I also wanted a refund on the shipping - she said I would need to file a new complaint for that. I came to find out that reviews on Google are manufactured by the company to boost purchaser confidence. I will never do business with them again. They are dishonest crooks who sell faulty computer equipment.

Original review: June 10, 2013

I ordered an iPhone 4 from GainSaver.com. They say they "quality control" and inspect every shipment before it's sent, but the Apple store and Verizon have confirmed that it arrived with blown speakers. They only accept customer service requests for their webpage. They promise to answer within 3-4 hours, but that doesn't come close to happening. I should have checked with Consumer Report and the BBB before I ordered. I'm being forced to file a Visa Merchant dispute to get my money back.

Original review: June 7, 2013

Do not deal with these people. You get damaged equipment that could not have been tested before it was shipped. Then you have to pay to ship it back. They are rude. When you call customer service, it is a recording that sends you to the website. They won't talk with you. I just hope I can get my money back.

Original review: May 11, 2013

After spending a considerable amount of time online to research an iMac, I settled on Gainsaver as they gave me the option to downgrade the OS to Snow Leopard while still keeping an i5 3.6GHZ. After speaking to a sales representative about a few of my apprehensions with purchasing from them, I pulled the trigger and ordered the system. A few seconds later, I received an email asking me to call them. I called them and a lady was ridiculously rude. She told me the unit had failed testing. I asked how it failed testing so quickly and she said, "Sir, did you want us to ship you bad product?", to which I responded, "I thought you pretest these prior to selling?"

Her response was the worst customer service I have ever received. She asked me why I had an attitude?! I asked her if there were other 21.5" iMacs that she could recommend since I had already gone through the trouble of ordering. She told me she had one 27" that I would have to pay more for! While searching, I had noticed that they were selling eight other 21.5" models and I asked about those. She put me on hold, came back and told me she was canceling my order and to call back next Friday. I think they try and scam you into buying more expensive models by saying the one you purchased doesn't work. Ridiculous. Do not waste your time!

Original review: April 29, 2013

It becomes quite clear that Gainsaver is out to gain more at less savings. Take any deal you see for an iMac. So the new cost at Apple for a 27" starts at $1799 and that's complete with 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 8GB (two 4GB) memory, 1TB hard drive1, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB Ram. That's complete out the door at the Apple Store (+tax of course). It includes the standard Wireless Apple Keyboard and Wireless Apple Mouse. That's worth nearly $120 alone if you bought them separate, How nice of Apple to include them!

Now let's look at Gainsaver "Deals":

Take this one for instance - iMac Desktop 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7, Apple Computer A1312-2390, it's a mid-2010 model so it's already 3 years old.

Looking at the specs provided, the hard drive included is a 40GB, oh wait! What - a 40GB? Really?! That's a lot smaller than the original 1TB it came with. Okay, so let's choose that from the drop down list. **! The price jumps from the stated deal price of $1232.10 to $1421.10. But wait, we're just getting started... It comes with 512MB Ram, WTF? The original has 4GB! It won't run on 512MB worth a crap if at all! Okay, fine! We'll take the bait and upgrade the memory back to the 4GB. The price just jumped to $1490.10.

I guess they have to charge extra for reinstalling the Airport Extreme card they removed; that's another $29 added, so now at $1519.10. Let's see, oh yeah... They jerked out the standard Apple Super Drive Dual Layer and stuck in a cheap wannabe. So there's another $99 to get back to the Apple drive we all love. I don't want their cheap crappy non-Apple mouse and keyboard that they substituted, so that just raised the price another $108.99 to get back to the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. So now that the darn thing is back to being an iMac, let see, that's $1727.09 totaled up.

Oh for crying out loud, it only got a 30-day warranty. So let's see what we have to pay to get the 1-year warranty we would expect from Apple. That's another $100, so now the total is $1827.09 before tax and shipping. But wait... I see they offer shipping insurance. Now, that's really unsettling! That means if they ship it and it never makes it here, I'm screwed unless I pay the insurance of $25.32 so now the price has jumped to $1852.41. But wait, they are being nice and offering a discount of $198.03! So now the total is $1790.38.

Again, I'm confused. That's only a discount of $62.03. Huh? I guess the "discount" was before I started shopping? Oh I almost forgot something. There's another option. For another $25, they'll "test it" Really? Does that mean they won't test it after putting all the parts back in that they freaking removed to begin with? Give me a break! Fine, I'll pay that $25 just to be sure the darn thing hopefully works when it arrives. By the way, not one inference that the parts I'm buying (back) are new or just used. The price for these parts looks like the price for new, but I wonder... So now the price is $1812.88 after mystery discounts, from the now shown total of $2,014.31. Wow! What a savings! Oh wait, that's $215.31 higher than a new computer at the Apple Store! And I have not even found out the tax and shipping... Come on! Don't be a sucker!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2012

I was sold a non-functional laptop and returned it. I paid $978.84, but was only refunded $922.50 (a difference of $56.34), even though I specifically asked for all of my money back. I don't understand why I should have to pay for a bad product to be shipped to me. To add insult to injury, I also incurred costs to send the laptop back. I'm a single mother and money is tight. How can a company do business like this?

Original review: April 4, 2012

First, let me say that if you are a stickler for customer service as I am, you might not want to order from this company and if you do, I hope you don’t go through the same experience that some of us have.

Now, I ordered a PowerMac G5 (M9455LL) from GainSaver in early March 2012, to add to my workstation and to my surprise, after setting everything up, I turned the Mac on. After the system booted up, I started checking things out and I went to open the DVD drive, for an installation when all I heard was a clicking sound (the drive did not open). Okay, went back to the basics and restarted the Mac with just the keyboard and mouse hooked up, yet again, the DVD drive did not open. From that point, I went online from the Mac, no problem there, until I started to scroll down the page using the mouse (not working). At this point, I contacted GainSaver via the website on another PC, with the info of what was going on and waited for a response from them via a contact number I left them.

After waiting all day for someone to contact me, I called just before the end of business and was directed to send the Mac back to them with the RMA at my expense (WTH). I did advise the rude lady that the unit was not working when I received it and I have to pay for it to get back to you (Okay). I returned the unit and requested an upgrade to a newer and faster Mac (MA356LL). After waiting another week plus for the new MacPro, I was ready for something new, running Photoshop and Lightroom. I got home and opened the main box and then the Mac box. My girlfriend held the box while I pulled the MacPro out and we saw that the bottom part of the Mac was badly damaged.

Needless to say, I was lived with disappointment and anger. So, I immediately called GainSaver about the issue and was told by the woman (same), who answered that I needed to contact the customer service (no name). I turned right around and called customer service from the number listed, which was the same number by the way and after getting another run around on that end, I tried to contact customer service via its direct number (busy).

The next day, I sent an email service request in via the website asking for someone to call me about the problem and that I was not happy with having to return another item that they say that is checked 100% back to them at my expense (not happening). Needless to say, I have not heard anything from the company nor its reps and I have a broken MacPro at my desk that looks terrible.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2012

If anyone is considering using GainSaver, my best advice is to cross your fingers that your order goes through without a hitch, and may heaven help you if it doesn't. On 10/17/2011, I ordered a 13" Macbook and purchased the extended three year warranty for an extra $150. Right out of the box, I noticed a crack on the underside of the machine leading to a screw, suggesting that it simply had been tightened too much. Over the next two months, the crack continued to grow.

On 12/15/2011, I placed my first customer service order and was told to ship the damaged machine back (at my own expense, of course) and they would send a replacement. Flash forward to today, I just filed my tenth customer service request having been told for the third time that a manager would call me back (they didn't call the first two times). I've been told at different points that a requisite replacement part is out of stock, only to have another representative tell me they did indeed have the part and my order was being entered "as we speak". The next morning I woke to an email confirming the part was indeed out of stock.

I'm a college student on a budget who paid extra for the assurance that comes with a warranty. Not two months later, I'm looking at a new semester of classes about to start and I still don't have a replacement for my pre-damaged computer. My hope is that engaging them in a public forum will finally get something accomplished. I'm tired of the excuses.

As a side note, once GainSaver saw my negative review, I was told they would refund my money and would no longer be conducting business with me. The manager of sales, Steve H, was extremely rude and would not answer any questions. When I asked him "What is the point of offering a 3 year extended warranty on a product when you can't even insure the product for 3 months?" He told me that he would not answer any questions, and if I wanted to, I could enter another service request online (which is very hard to do when I now no longer have a computer).

I’m fed up with GainSaver. I purchased a computer from another seller. The next day, Steve H. contacted me to say they did have a computer for me after all. However, since I already ordered another computer, I would not be refunded for the cost of my warranty. There are a lot of options out there. GainSaver is a scam, avoid it and be safe.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2011

First, they shipped the laptop with missing screws etc. Then, after about 10 hours of use, it crashed and never recovered. I then personally drove the laptop to their 'offices' since I live in the area. I dropped it off for repair since I bought a warranty. They sent me an automated note that I can have a store credit or a refund. I sent the response asking for the refund, only to then have them send me a few pictures of some random crap they had in the warehouse. And they claimed that I returned the equipment all damaged voiding their warranty. They are liars and cheats.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2011

Everything I have read on this site mirrors my experience with GainSaver. I ordered a Mac with iSight for an older friend of mine so she could video chat with her grandchildren. I received an iMac without a video camera and was told it was my mistake, I ordered the wrong thing. I was told they would exchange it, but I would have to pay for shipping for their mistake. I ordered another one explicitly stating again I needed iSight and again they sent another computer without a cam.

Steve was my contact the entire time and was incredibly unhelpful and rude. I was stuck with store credit which I reluctantly used for a monitor that cost more than my credit ordered on January 4th, and 3 weeks later I haven't received a thing. There was no email, no notice of backorder, nothing.

I called and Steve answered with his usual bluff and **. He said that they had yet to receive any monitors and that their inventory was not in real time even though the site says they are in stock. He told me it might be another week or two until they would get some in. I decided after reading everyone else's complaints that is was not worth getting more in the hole with these people and cancelled the entire order and I am now out about 200 bucks. Do not do business with GainSaver. They are crooked as they come.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2010

The order number is ** and the product I ordered is Color LaserJet 9500n Printer - Hewlett Packard C8546AR#ABA. I placed the order on the 7th of September 2010. Till date, I have not received the order neither have I been informed of the reason why my order has delayed. I sent a mail on the 11th, 13th and 18th of October and got no response from them. I called three weeks ago and was told the order was being prepared for shipment and that was never done. I called today (18th November 2010) and they didn't give me any answer. I was told to submit a customer request which I have done on three occasions prior without any response.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2010

My daughter ordered Apple iMac Desktop. Gainsaver pulled "bait & switch" sending older model with lower GHz Intel Core. I contacted Customer Server, spoke with Steve ** who noted 15% restocking fee (roughly $144.45 on original $963 purchase) would be charged, despite the fact error was 100% Gainsaver's. Based on research, company's history is replete with examples of fraudulently filling orders with damaged or incorrect computer assets. Then when customers attempt to correct the order issues, Gainsavers charges additional shipping and 15% restock fees for their shipping errors. Despite the shipping error being completely Gainsavers, they "stick" customers with added charges.

When discussing issue and mitigation next steps with Steve ******, Sales Manager (i.e. Owner) he stated is was company policy and hung-up on me. I call back and illicit similar response, rude and hang-up. Per PublicData and online research, fraud appears to be common approach at Gainsaver. I strongly recommend not doing business with this person!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2010

My Mac client had this experience with Gainsaver: "1/8/10 they acknowledge my first order, cost $1300.87; delivered the following week 1/15/10. 3/3/10 call customer service to report problems, left message for "Steve"; no response. 6/18/10, in response to earlier request for service due to multiple failures received return authorization for 1st order from Gainsaver; shipped to them 6/29. 7/7/10 receive notice as follows: GainSaver Store Credit or Credit to Card Issued - CR-2070; invitation to reorder or request replacement in body of message

7/7 - 7/9 there was some confusion apparent at Gainsaver as to whether or not they could replace. I had been told no replacement on phone, then replacement appeared in message from Gainsaver, then cancellation of replacement, then another replacement. 7/15 second/replacement order received; upon opening and turning on discovered screen would not illuminate. 7/17 return authorization requested; authorization received 7/19, shipped 7/20. 7/28 Gainsaver sends note receipt of returned item, acknowledges receipt of request for refund; sends note next day: Dear Customer, Thank you for your request for a refund. We are more than happy to issue a refund. You should receive a refund within 24-48hrs. Thanks for the business, GainSaver.

8/6 after several phone requests send second online request for refund, per instructions of Steve. Acknowledged and agreed via electronic response same day. 8/10, Steve says, wait until Friday (8/13), I complain that this has gone on too long, ask to speak with next level, to which he says he is the next level. When I say it feels as if he's cutting me loose, he says he is and invites me to "have your lawyer serve me". Believe it or not this is the nutshell version. There are other employees involved (I have names), but it seems clear the Steve ** is calling the shots. I think it needless to say that I am totally discouraged in my dealings with Gainsaver. "No computer, no refund, told to "have your lawyer serve me" (which is now in the works) by Steve at Gainsaver.

GainSaver.com Company Information