1.91/5
Based on 34 reviews that contain star ratings

Find a modeling and talent agency that's right for you

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

46 John Robert Powers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 31, 2012

I made the call back only to find out I had to pay over $1,000 for acting classes. It did not feel right. I bet every child who was there made the cut (only 6 kids). Don't believe a word they say. All they want is your money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2012

Me, myself, a little was scammed because they told me I was good but I didn't pay the money. I was going to audition the second time until my mom discovered that JRP is a scam cause we saw all the complaints and that's just crazy. But I'm just letting all the kids know. Don't get too excited cause it's fake and me myself shed some tears because I got dressed up just to go to a place that just want money!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 13, 2012

My family was sucked into John Robert Powers talent agency. I asked all the right questions and was convinced my son would land a job, but didn't. If they know that it's a scam, how can they go around continuing to scam people?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2011

I took my son there and of course they made it sound so promising. I should have done more research on this place. After 2 days, they didn’t call me so I cancelled within the 72 hours. They told me that they wanted to get started right away, and that my son was great on camera. I've read thousands of complaints. Why can’t they stop these crooks?!

Original review: March 21, 2010

I went to a small festival in Las Vegas in front of one of the booths stood a lady handing out business cards. Hanging on the booth was a banner for John Robert Powers (with verbiage concerning acting). My son whom had done modeling work previously asked me to see about doing acting recently, so I approached the lady and asked her about JRP, but couldn't get a clear answer. I wanted to know if it was an agency or an acting school. I was not interested in an acting school. She only said she wasn't involved in that (school). She was hiding what JRP business was. The first red flag went up.

I was in a good mood and just in case it would lead to acting or modeling job/s, I filled out a short form and took a business card from her. Ten days later, we were called for an audition. I thought wow, that was fast, maybe JRP was okay.

Note: I am somewhat familiar with the acting-casting procedure and know when you audition for anything in the acting business, it is for a possible job!

The lady who called studiously did not say what the audition was for (shampoo, Coca Cola, Toyota etc.). She did say that they had casting type people coming from different places. She studiously didn't state when these people were going to be here, nor if we were going to audition with these people for a job. A second red flag went up.

Note: After our JRP adventure, I reviewed complaints concerning JRP on the internet and found that the audition word was constantly used and casting people are always looking for new faces (especially for Pilots shows), implying these people come to JRP to find new faces. From more than one JRP insider would register complaints, stated these casting people frequently, simply JRP staff from other offices. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have seen this tactic before in other businesses.

I thought well okay, going to this audition might give our son something to do regarding acting, so I accepted the audition. I told the caller that we had already had plans around when the audition was being held, I asked how long the audition was and was told that it would take two hours and this fit our schedule, so I accepted. A third red flag went up as to why it would take two hours for an audition when it's normally 30 minutes for a first audition. Additionally, the audition lasted 2.5 hours.

We arrived at the JRP office on time for the audition and were provided a form to be filled out with a mass of personal information for our son, as well as my wife and I. I did not appreciate being asked a bunch of unnecessary personal questions for an audition, especially since we did nothing yet and knew nothing yet about JRP. A fourth red flag went up.

Instead of being called in one by one for the audition, we were rounded up in a room by a guy in a suit, that was desperately too large for him (I thought this was very unprofessional) and sat down, told us to turn off our cell phones, given a piece of paper with multiple paragraphs on it regarding various products, ours was for peanut butter. I thought okay, this looks like the real stuff for a first audition (they usually take three to get the part). Afterwards, we're introduced to a director of this particular JRP (they don't tell you this is a franchise establishment around the country like McDonald's (found out myself)).

This lady director, while having a lot of good things to say generally, started in on her family, in the singing and show business, and went on about her family for two straight hours acting/singing successes never letting up over and over and over about them. I am happy she is happy for her family, but we were not there for this. This was a pressurized sales tactic. A fifth red flag went up.

While 30 minutes would have been good and interesting to hear about any success story, she beat us over the head with it without respite, going on and on and on and on and on. I, my wife, and my son, and many others had to go to the bathroom. It took unmercifully long. There were a lot of children wiggling in their seats and sitting sideways with complete boredom about things that they did not understand or concern them. They didn't even need to be there, parents could have handled the sales pitch. Additionally, as usual with these Positive Power speakers who never shut up they never, never, never let you question them or their presentation, this is for a good reason on their part.

Halfway through the Amway style sales pitch (Sandbagging people into listening to them without telling you what they are about and what their product is is until the very end of the pitch), she mentioned training. A sixth red flag flew. I told my wife, here it comes (meaning the real reason we were there). I was wrong; this was just a bit of chum.

An hour and a half after the start of the diatribe, in final brute force, came training, training and training, which was the real reason we were sucked into JRP. After finally letting us know what JRP was about, the lady stated we are not agents! This revelation took two hours of wasted time for me and my family and was what I wanted to know all the time (requested at the festival (red flag one)), but was side barred with implications when attempting to discover this - especially because this was supposed to be an audition.

An agent gets people work, this is what I, and I am sure other people there, where there for - work. This was not an agency and was studiously hidden from attendees whom, like I, thought we were auditioning for acting or modeling jobs.

Note: There is nothing in the JRP office at all except posters of movies. No brochures - nothing. A walk in has no info provided to them. Red Flag number six; there is a brochure, but it must come from the marketing people only after the so-called audition.

I asked the lad Director while bored out of my mind with her repetitive monotony 2.5 hour speech what we were auditioning for? She got perturbed and said she talked about this previously - she did not (unless I was in the bathroom at the time) otherwise, I would have walked out. There was no audition, what there was, a short video and the statement of a line they provided us earlier and a last ditch high pressure marketing entrapment. What audition there was, was an audition to let JRP work with us, if, we were accepted and good enough!

The marketing director lady said, if we passed the audition (which she was the audition person), we would be called the next day for another audition. At this point, people are given the brochure about JRP. They actually give the gullible a day to look over the brochure (and decide if you can pay) and if you are still interested you can go back and pay for the classes the next day. Oh I forgot to mention the hook. We were told the next week casting people would be there for auditions (they are not an agency? ), so if you paid up for the classes you might audition with these people. Of course who are they who pays them and will they show. JRP said, there would be people there for our audition as well, who were the JRP people? A JRP director bombing us with the 2.5 hour lecture.

Of course, everyone is good enough for JRP to work with, they are a business and a business is to make money and they make money by making people pay for training courses and head shots and other photographic cards. JRP sandbagged me and likely all others not telling you anything about who they are, what they are producing until you are psychologically manipulated and psychologically entrapped to give them money for something you were not wanting and were not looking for.

Take a look at the JRP website and see what it is about (only a form to give away marketing information to them). The only transparency on the website is directly below the John Robert Powers name in the logo, in small letters (small letters means what is hidden psychologically) is the word "School", which is something. Don't fall for JRP financial predatory tactics. Read the other complaints about them (ignore those that state they are great, whom is writing these no doubt someone working for them). Anything you hear good about JRP was likely written by themselves. Search directly for a reputable agent if you want to get in the acting business, not an acting school, you don't need one, but when involved, look into training. A waste of time if JRP was honest about what they really are and do 'Up Front' you know with a bit of ethics.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Robert Powers?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2010

Our daughters were called in to an "audition with Disney Directors". They got their hopes up and were told they would get a call back if picked. We did get a call back but then were asked for 6 grand for "lessons". When I asked why they would need lessons if they got a call back, the lady turned nasty and started insulting my kids. Sad that people are being scammed by this company and kids are getting their hopes crushed by them.

Our girls watched Disney shows for 2 days practicing skits and could not sleep the night before the "audition". My husband took an entire day to take them and they never mentioned anything about money, just pumped all of the kids up with a script that would be read before a "Disney Director". When I got the call back, I was asked for money. The girls cried their eyes out.

This is a scam that needs to be stopped. This has caused emotional scaring of our daughters and our family time because of the bait and switch tactic from this scam company. And for my daughter to be put down when I refused to pay money, crossed the line. We have contacted the local news and this has caused major stress to our family and our daughter's self esteem.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2010

My daughter attended John Robert Powers (JRP) in Baltimore, Maryland. She was accepted in September 2009. I ordered a book online from JRP and the order stated on the website that it would take two (2) weeks to receive the product. My total came to $236.70 for the order. Having problems with my computer, I immediately called JRP and spoke with Inna A and told her that my intention was to only order one book which cost $45.00. She assured me that she would contact Pay Pal to let them know that the order was incorrect and the total of $236.70 would not be taken out of my account. Well, the $236.70 was taken out of my account.

I contacted Bank of America and they temporary credited my account $191.70. That total was disputed because I still wanted to purchase the $45.00 book. I inquired every week thereafter to Ms. A as to the status of my book. After several weeks of not receiving product, Ms. A told me that my order was completely cancelled. In the meantime, the disputed amount that was temporarily placed in my account was deducted by Bank of America. I contacted Bank of America and JRP. I spoke with Inna A who told me that my order had been cancelled and that the money ($236.70) that was taken from my account had been returned to my account. Bank of America verified that JRP in fact did not place the $236.70 back in my account as stated. As of today, I have received no product, nor has JRP returned my money for product that was never received. When speaking with Inna A on the evening of December 16, 2009, she said that she would have to contact the accounting department and then get back to me. I have had no contact with JRP or Inna A as to the status.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2009

Heard an ad on the radio stating that JRP was holding auditions, made an appointment went in and was introduced to "agents" that had flown in from New York and would be leaving the next day. Everyone was told they would be auditioning in front of a camera, what to do, not to do, what they look for and talked about "celebrities" that had or are JRP clients. Was told that not everyone would get a callback, which is understandable. After about 3 hours and the interviews, told to call back on Monday. Called and was told yes, your child is so cute, perfect and we needed to go back in for another audition with Paul, the so-called agent from NY. Got there, went through the "audition" and was told he was great. Then immediately told he needs acting classes and we need to put out $5,900 NOW, in a lumpsum payment. When asked for credentials, we were given a wierd look and told that no one had ever asked for that before. My husband asked for the credentials of the "acting teachers" and we were told that they don't give out personal information. Credentials are hardly personal information. Anyway, my husband said he would talk it over with me, his wife, and call the next day. We were told that it was now or never and that Paul was leaving for NY and they were making their decisions tonight. My husband asked Paul for a business card and he said Gloria should have all that. When we asked Gloria for a business card she said that her 7 year old daughter had ripped them all up!?!? We knew it was a scam. They hold themselves out to be agents or in direct contact with agents when what they are is a school.

Original review: June 11, 2009

They have scammed me. They are all about the money and got my daughter’s hopes high, and after some classes, she did not see what they have offered and she refused to go to any more classes.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2008

My daughter was selected to continue to the next round at this talent agency, but as soon as the excitement began it went away becuase they told us how much money it was going to cost in order to get her started. I truly beleive that these talent agencies are ripping people off and they are able to do that by presenting the few clients that they had who actually did become famous. I think that this is ok for people who actually have a few thousand dollars in hand, but even then these companies should be up front instead of getting a small childs hopes up then making it look like thier parents are letting them down because they don't have the money to go forward with it.

This experience let myself and my daughter down, and I don't think that anybody deserves that.

Original review: June 8, 2008

On April 20, 2008, at approximately 2:00 pm, I signed a 1 year contract for Acting coaching/ lessons for my child who was acceped into the John Robert Powers (JRP) Academy. That same day, at approximately 9:00 pm, I called JRP informing them that I wish to cancel the contract which has a 72-hour cancellation policy.

On 04/21/2008, I mailed my letter to John Robert Powers stating my child will not be able to participate in the John Robert Powers School, at this time ... our receipt number is 10993, our contract number is 136867 for cancellation of the contract.

I followed-up with a phone call on 04/21/08 at 4:00 pm, on 04/22/08, 05/07/2008, 05/23/08, 05/30/08, and 06/07/2008. On 04/22/2008 I was informed that the letter had been received and would be handled, accordingly. On 05/07/2008 I was informed by Tran that Mr. Bennett was out and would get in touch with me; on 05/23/2008 I was informed that Mr. Bennett was out due to the holiday and he would receive my message. Mr. Rick Bennett did call me back on 05/23/08 at 5:52 pm and left a message stating that I see the refund which is pending with corporate ... they are out due to the holiday and I'm not sure why it's pending, but I will send them an email to expedite the process which should be refunded on Tuesday [May 27, 2008]; and on 06/07/2008 I called and Tran took my message again and stated that Mr. Bennett will not be back until Monday and she will pass the message along to him.

Their, John Robert Powers Academy, policy states The CLIENT may cancel this contract within seventy-two hours after its execution my mailing a certified letter to John Robert Powers. The client will be refunded the tuition, but not the non-refundable $500.00 registratin fee, within 21 days of JRP's receipt of the cancellation letter.

I did exactly what was asked and I have yet to receive my $5400.00 refund to my credit card. It took five minutes for them to charge $5900.00 to my credit card, keeping $500.00 for paper and more than 21 days for them to refund my $5400.00. It has been exactly 46 days since they received my certified letter and I want my refund.

This company did not provide me nor my child with any services and they are not holding to their company contract. Therefore, because they've breeched the contract then I should be refunded the total amount of $5900.00.

Original review: June 3, 2008

JRP is an acting school. They promise acting classes as well as face to face meetings with agents every week.

I don't think parents should send their child on auditions without experience. And I don't think anyone should interview for a job with out knowing how to do it.

Original review: March 21, 2008

I responded to a Star 99.1 radio ad with regards to the audition at John Robert Powers on March 15th. After the audition was delayed two hours, the parents and children were brought into a large room. We then waited a long time before an employee came out and spoke to us briefly. She then introduced the director in charge. The speech was about 1 hr and a half long.

We, the parents and children, were brought into small offices (1 family per office) about 3 offices to be exact. We continued to wait until it was our turn. The director called us into the room to go over the form we filled out(which included parents' name and occupation) and to give us a portfolio about the cost of programs they have available. She also stated that my son was special, brilliant, exceptional, handsome and so on......

The director said if my son makes the audition, he'll will have to come the next day for a second audition. We agreed to call at 6:20am the next morning to see if he passed the audition. Keep in mind, 11:45am was the actual audition time, we were told to come back at 1:00pm and it's 3:15pm and we're in the director's office and my son still hadn't auditioned. An agent with an English accent was giving the auditions. The children were told to go in a room one by one w/o the parents to stand in front of this lady to audition (Skippy commercial 2 or 3 lines script). We finally left there at at approximately 6:30pm.

My husband and I briefly looked at the portfolio given to us and agreed on the 20 class competitive program costing about $1950 if my son were to make the first cut.

It's March 16th and my husband calls the director to find out if my son made the first cut which he did. The director again complimented my son. She also stated that the agent who auditioned my son would like to see my him again, after some instruction only if he makes the second cut to find out if he's directable and coachable. The director reminds us that if my son makes the second cut that we will have to pay for instruction on same day.

We then go to the second audition at 2:30pm and my son was given a Kix 2 liner script. We were called to the office about 3:45pm with the director. She again compliments our son. After my son auditions, she gives him instruction and correction. My son makes the second cut. The director then states that my son came out in the top 3 out of 100 kids so she would like to offer us the invitation only career program costing $5,900 and he'll need a photo shoot package costing $1795. She also states that my son has a good shot in making it

My husband and I got caught up with all the emotions and my son's driven interest to act and to have a chance to be on TV that we gave into the $5900 program. The director gives us a scholarship for $500 to deduct from tuition making it seem more affordable. When signing contract, a $500 nonrefundable fee was preprinted in the contract and if you cancel the contract within 72 hours, you will be refunded the tuition in full(in 21 days after receipt of certified letter) minus the nonrefundable fee. We also purchased the 2 books and were told that we cannot return them. The books were $150 plus $10 tax.

we canceled that contract and mailed the letter on time. We are not happy loosing $660 and waiting 21 days to receive credit on the tuition of $4900. When I went home, I googled (Is John Robert Powers a scam?) and it came back with several websites on it. The next audition will be March 29. Please look into these websites. I paid by credit card and they also asked for my driver's license for identification purposes. I believe they made a copy of credit card and driver's license. The services were to commence on March 29 at which time another audition was to take place. The only merchandise given was 2 books which I was told by above contact that it's not returnable. ($150 plus $10 tax)

Original review: Oct. 12, 2005

I signed-up my daughter for 10 week modeling course and paid in full $1275.00. She had some classes but has not completed the course. About 1 month ago John Robert Powers close their doors and has not reopened or contacted us. My contract with them states that if the classes are discontinued by the school and it prevents the student from completing the course, then a full refund would be issued!

$1275.00 for course tuition

Original review: May 13, 2005

John Robert Powers is a modeling and acting company.
    When I was approached by the scout she was very nice.I then decided to sign my daughter up for acting classes but to my surpise I noticed that every service had a price a very expensive price at that.

This exprience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.I am now convinced that they are money hungry.They took advantage of me because I believed in my daughter dream to be a model or actress.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2002

In late December of 2001 my daughter enrolled and paid in advance for a full year of classes with the John Robert Powers school in Austin, TX. In July of this year, I took my daughter to the school to attend class and was informed that classes had been postponed to the following week. When we returned that following week, the school was closed and the phone has never been answered since that time, when we called for an explanation.

John Robert Powers' sales material states that if the school does not provide the classes that a student has enrolled and paid for, the school will refund twice the amount of the student's payment to the school. We have been trying for many weeks to contact Mark Ratjen who operated the JRP school here in Austin, TX but have had no success. I have sent an email to questions@jrpowers.net which is apparently the national headquarters for JRP and am hoping for a response from them. I have also contacted the Texas Attorney General's office and the Austin, TX Better Business Bureau, and the California Attorney General's office, but have not had a satisfactory response.

John Robert Powers Company Information