3.9/5 (252 ratings)

About Better Homes & Gardens

Better Homes & Gardens Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Homes & Gardens?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Homes & Gardens?

Original review: June 19, 2019

The BHG grill was on sale at Walmart. It is mostly stainless steel. The sides of the grill have discolored somewhat due to the heat. It has a side burner which we rarely use. Nothing stands out one way or another about the grill.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Have had 2 dozen grills in 40 years. Some cost $1,000 to $250.00, this last one cost the smaller amount. Live in the woods, very cold and snowy in the winter months and it has last longer than any of the 24 other grills we have purchased where ever we lived. This one came from Walmart and it is still working, easy to clean and cooks great. We have had almost 5 years now and hope to get a few more years out of it before we move to warmer weather. Would recommend for us mature group of citizens as it is easy to use.

Original review: May 11, 2019

It is advertised as leather and that is a lie, it is microfiber!! The seat is extremely hard and the back is sagging! I purchased this on August 1st. Finally called on May 11, 2019 and all I was offered was a crummy $25.00. I paid $349.00 plus tax and shipping. I am totally disgusted. I thought that false advertisement was against the law. How can I get the help I need?

Original review: May 1, 2019

Ordered this table online with Walmart. It was advertised as a table made with “wood”; in actuality not real wood, though a very good fake. The finish has worn off in places after a month. The item came with a retouch pen, alas the nib doesn’t work. I called Walmart to complain. Walmart offered to replace or discount. I chose a discount with the thought I could contact the manufacturer to mail me a retouch pen and answer questions about the product. Unfortunately I am as unable to get a phone number other than to the publisher of Better Homes and Gardens magazine. I left my contact info with BHG magazine customer service to forward to their account department. We’ll see if I hear back. Then I read the bad reviews here about BHG products and subscription rip offs. Now what?

Original review: March 20, 2019

Everything I have is in the Azalea Ridge 3-Person Burnt Orange Outdoor Swing including my umbrella. Now my canopy dry rotted. Need to replace. It no longer available but they're still selling the swing. I don't understand.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I bought a pretty set of Better Homes and Gardens sheets, queen size. Washed before using. Was looking for my phone on the bed one night in the dark, and as I moved my hand around the sheets, they glowed iridescent green. I thought, okay, they are just made of some fabric that glows. I have seen that before in women's clothing. Then I threw a pair of white socks into the wash with the sheets and the socks glowed in the dark with movement, like slipping them on and off. I will not be using these infected sheets again, but someone needs to investigate this, this could be dangerous.

I am going to wash them and put them away as evidence, in plastic bag, but I will not sleep on them again. Want to see glow in the dark sheets, I have a set here waiting. Probably store them outside in the shed. These things might be radioactive. And I have been sleeping on them for 3-4 months. It was the glowing socks that got to me.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I bought several sets of sheets from Walmart which said on the package that they included a subscription or refund for a subscription (in the amount of $6) to Better Homes and Gardens magazine. When I got the sheets home and out of the package so that they were impossible to put back correctly there was no offer voucher. I reached out to the company, from whom I had to email twice before getting a response, who told me if I emailed them copies of the receipts and my mailing address they could process my refund.

I sent my mailing address, making it extremely clear that I wanted the refunds instead of the subscriptions. They wrote me back (again, after several days) saying my subscriptions were being processed. I contacted them again, and then again, and then once more, at which point they told me that they couldn't process the refunds without the voucher, despite what I have in writing from an initial email. Don't know what I will do with three of the same magazine subscriptions, but I assure you I won't be buying from them again.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I feel when your wax melts came out, the scent lasted longer than one day. I don’t know what formula y’all are using...but it sucks, smells great the first day and then no more. I have four warmers, have to change them every single day. Way too much money to be spending, so I will be going to buy an oil burner, was told the scent last longer as well as the bottles of oil. I will not buy anymore wax melts from Better Homes and Gardens. If you're looking to save money, please check into an oil burner, will give an update on cost. Wax melts $2.00 each and I at least buy four of those... DONE wasting my hard earned money!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been a long term subscriber of the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. As such, I receive all issues of the magazine and I feel that the January edition is a waste of time and money as almost all the articles have appeared in the magazine during the past twelve months. This has been the case since (I think) the Christmas issue was added to the year's total issues. Maybe, if there is not enough new content to produce an original January edition the Christmas issue could be held back to replace it or the Christmas issue could be renamed the January edition. If I had the option to take this issue out of my subscription, I would do so as I would not buy it off the stand. Overall I enjoy the magazine and this is my one complaint with it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Bought the 2 inch faux wood mini blinds back in the spring of 2018 hung them throughout the house... In Sept decided to add a curtain to one of the bedroom windows. In less then 3 days they are bent malformed and totally unusable- they bow in and out up and down. Each vane is bent different and curved different. They are non-returnable because over the 90 day time for return. Had to go buy another set at $35. Of course it's way lighter in color. Doesn't totally match all that fun stuff... I live in NH not like some tropical sun. Totally disgusted! I thought room darkening shades were made to hang in windows that get sun.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

BHG is now a joke and their products sold at Walmart are of HORRENDOUS quality. Purchased 300 count sheets - washed them, put them on bed. Slept on them once (last night). Woke up this morning to a huge weird pale-pink stain on my pillowcase. What. The. Heck? I cannot even fathom what would cause this. I'm sure my drool is not toxic. Sighs. I should of learned my lesson when I purchased one of their cotton/blend Full/Queen blankets and upon washing and drying the blanket shrunk SO much. Never again shall I buy a BHG product. And I find other reviews re: the magazines because y'all can't get them to stop and I honestly cannot get a subscription started. Save Wallyworld for your affordable groceries, toiletries and dry goods, shop elsewhere for all other items because why put yourself through the hassle and waste of $.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I purchased two of The Better Homes & Gardens Furniture Parker recliner side tables in the estate toffee finish for $49.76 each recently at Walmart.com. The photo made them look absolutely beautiful and when they arrived the packaging was so well done I was excited. The minute I emptied them out of the box for assembly I was horrified at how disgustingly cheap and ridiculously difficult to assemble they were. There was not one bit of solid wood in the entire package. It was all pressed wood with cheap paper or formica finish. I immediately shoved it back in the box and drove to Walmart to return it and will never buy Better Homes & Gardens Furniture again. I would not even put this stuff in my college kids dorm room much less my beautiful upscale home.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Let's start by saying that I think Better Homes and Gardens have great products, but they let me down when it came to my Azalea Ridge outdoor conversation set. The burnt orange cushions melt if you happen to set your mobile phone on the cushions, it's happen twice on my love seat cushions and there are no replacement cushions at this time that you can buy. I think they need to change to a different type of material something that if someone sets their mobile phone on the cushion it doesn't leave a burnt mark.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Purchased an outdoor oval table and 4 chairs from Walmart. After putting it outside with an umbrella the table has been chipping paint on a constant basis. Paid close to $600.00 dollars for this set. Absolutely unacceptable. There is no way to contact them on their website about the inferior products that they sell. WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM THEM AGAIN. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We love the Modern Farmhouse furniture from Better Homes and Gardens, having already purchased, an end table, the lift top coffee table and entertainment center, all in gray. This item (we call a credenza) was going to be used in place of our china cabinet. Just after New Year's our order was delivered to Walmart, for us to pick-up. Once we got it home, and opened it, we discovered it was badly damaged. So, we re-packaged it (best we could) and contacted Walmart. No problem there, we got a refund, although we are still waiting for the enormous box to be picked up. So, we ordered a second unit, having to pay more, since the price went up. And, this time, thinking we were playing it safe, we paid the additional $20 shipping to have it delivered right to our home.

This afternoon, a large semi delivered the 2nd unit, and we were very excited to put it together and finish our living room remodel. However, upon opening the box and doing inventory, we discovered a number of broken pieces, AGAIN. Now we have two huge boxes sitting in our living room, waiting to be picked-up, for return.

Very disappointed, quite frustrated and a bit angry, at this point. It is a shame that we received this product, damaged, twice. The problem, clearly, is in the handling of the package in transit. We really wanted this item to compliment our other pieces, but unsure if we should even try a third time. Also, we don't have room to store a third box, keeping in mind, it weighs about a 175 lbs and is approx. 5 feet long, by 3 feet wide and a foot and half thick.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Purchased a 4 cube organizer made by Better Homes and Gardens at Walmart. I must say this is the worst piece of ** I have ever tried to put together. First, I counted all my dowels and was short 1. Went to hardware store to purchase dowels. Started working on it again and noticed a wavy line on 2 of the pieces which could be felt with your finger and definitely could be seen when the light hit it- defect in surface. One corner edge was starting to peel up. And after putting in the dowels the particle board was starting to crumble. I can't believe these companies try to pass off this ** to consumers as good merchandise. I shouldn't be surprised -- another piece of garbage MADE OUTSIDE THE USA.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

These candles cannot burn out on their own. When the wick ends, the glass shatters, the wax leaks, and burns whatever surface it is on. Thankfully I was nearby when I heard the glass shatter. The flame was above the rim, the wax was leaking out of the glass and it began to burn my accent table. I will not recommend this product nor purchase from this company again.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I found out that two subscriptions were debited from my account. One is Martha Stewart Living. The other is Better Homes & Gardens. I contacted the company today to tell them to stop them and refund both $12.00 payments to me. I got their information from this - http://www.bhg.com/help/general-question-regarding-my-magazine-subscription/. I gave them 5 business days to respond, stop the subscriptions and refund my $24.00 total to my debit account. I hope this helps others.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have noticed that the advertisements from BHG for recipes, etc. are full of adware that can sometimes be malicious software. It will redirect the person on the site to other types of advertisements and usually hooks your consumer information for tracking and other nefarious reasons. I tried looking for a way to contact BHG to complaint other than by phone to the magazine but to no avail. Having been infested with adware that often is truly malware I avoid sites with this kind of misleading information designed to drop the viewer into other places than the one your click was intended to activate. So, I am blocking BHG anything. Sick and tired of these fishing expedition companies that use the name that use to be synonymous with good products to bother and harass consumers. BHG is no longer a good name to trust in my opinion. Their sites are just booby traps. Clean 'em up BHG or lose business!!!

Original review: March 9, 2017

I purchased 2, 16 piece Urban Multi flatware sets at my local Wal-Mart. The last two available. Upon unpacking the sets, I discovered that on the red handled display dinner spoon, were several chips. I assumed that I could return it to the company for an exchange. No. On contacting the company by e-mail, I was told they don't have replacements and that I would either have to purchase one online or find another WalMart that had them in stock. Nice. So much for the quality of BH&G.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

About a month ago I went to our local Walmart for bath towels... what I thought were beautiful lush towels turned out to be awful. I have washed these two towels about 5 times and they never get absorbent. I will never buy this product again... VERY disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Recently I purchased two sheet sets from Walmart (one King and one Queen). They were labeled 350 thread count (which is good) but when I took them out to wash them ~ OMG~ these are absolutely the worst sheets that I have ever owned! They are (hard) cotton and WRINKLE. When coming out of the dryer they looked like they had been balled up for months!! Very uncomfortable to sleep on and can't roll over when having cotton pj's on. I just stick to the sheets!!! Of course after being washed, Walmart will not take them back! I am also going to contact Better Homes and Gardens because I want my money back! The King set was $49.99 and the Queen set was $39.99. I was ripped off. I hope ConsumerAffairs can do something!! Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I bought their sheets at Walmart that said 100% cotton, not true. I learned after I used them they were also polyester. They were So very thin and did not feel good against your skin. I can't very well return them after I used them, but I will never put them on the bed again. VERY disappointed! A waste of $45!

Original review: July 25, 2016

I purchased the BHG Stonehaven Futon at Walmart on 2/16/16 for use at our mountain cabin. Took 3 hrs to assemble and I was pleased with the look though the "mattress" is thin and not really comfortable. After 3 uses, the welding failed in 4 places and one of the steel tube station folded right at a screw. Weighing in at a whopping 130 lbs, I'm confident it's not my weight, just poor manufacture and design. As this item has a 1 year warranty, I contacted Walmart, their policy allows 90 days for returns, so that didn't work. I have left 15 messages over 9 days at BHG product support and have not yet had the courtesy of a return call. My grandmother's swore by the BHG'S name, as did my mother. My how times have changed. I will never purchase their brand again, in my experience it is junk, their warranty is useless, and they have NO customer support.

Original review: March 23, 2016

We keep receiving books which were not ordered, then 'past due' bills keep coming. Can't contact anybody. Website brings no results; phone #'s are dead ends. ConsumerAffairs should investigate these people. OK, update of 5 min. ago: finally got to speak to a 'Keith' at Meredith Books, and instructed him to cancel any more shipping of books, which he stated that would be done. We shall see, as I have sent cancellation requests before.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

Purchased a Better Homes & Gardens 3 Bag Laundry Sorter. Did not use it long before bags began to tear apart. Since this purchase I have not found this item in stores for a return. Product not very well made. I do not recommend a purchase.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I ordered 1 bottle and they processed the order for 5 bottles. The email address was incorrect and I was disconnected after waiting 9 minutes on hold. I called back and finally spoke to "Alex" who reports the only option is to wait for the order to be received and then return for a refund. However, the order has not been processed or shipped. Alex refused to transfer me to manager or give me the email address to the company. I explained I located many complaints regarding the company and the scam they are running and Alex did not dispute. She gave me the name of the manager: Hannah **, but would not provide any other information. I cannot believe this company is still permitted to be in business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Purchase pillows at Walmart/Better Home and Gardens: 18"x18". When received they were 17"x17" overall 4" less which you can notice. Their products are made in China so probably the Chinese do not know what inches are. I will never buy a product by better home and gardens. Cheaters to the max.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

I am trying to contact Better Homes and Gardens about acquiring a return label to return 3 cookbooks my deceased grandmother has. I cannot seem to find a contact and just want to return these books or trash them. Please help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I purchased an outdoor set Better Homes & Garden Furniture from Walmart on March 21, 2015. The furniture has not been used frequently and the cushion for the sofa has frayed, discolored and the dye keeps coming off. I went to Walmart and they would do nothing since it was past the 90 days of purchase. I realized it's in the sun but it should last more than 5 months. I definitely would not recommend buy this furniture.

Better Homes & Gardens Company Information