1.30/5
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 8, 2018

35 Better Homes & Gardens Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 8, 2018

Purchased an outdoor oval table and 4 chairs from Walmart. After putting it outside with an umbrella the table has been chipping paint on a constant basis. Paid close to $600.00 dollars for this set. Absolutely unacceptable. There is no way to contact them on their website about the inferior products that they sell. WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM THEM AGAIN. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We love the Modern Farmhouse furniture from Better Homes and Gardens, having already purchased, an end table, the lift top coffee table and entertainment center, all in gray. This item (we call a credenza) was going to be used in place of our china cabinet. Just after New Year's our order was delivered to Walmart, for us to pick-up. Once we got it home, and opened it, we discovered it was badly damaged. So, we re-packaged it (best we could) and contacted Walmart. No problem there, we got a refund, although we are still waiting for the enormous box to be picked up. So, we ordered a second unit, having to pay more, since the price went up. And, this time, thinking we were playing it safe, we paid the additional $20 shipping to have it delivered right to our home.

This afternoon, a large semi delivered the 2nd unit, and we were very excited to put it together and finish our living room remodel. However, upon opening the box and doing inventory, we discovered a number of broken pieces, AGAIN. Now we have two huge boxes sitting in our living room, waiting to be picked-up, for return.

Very disappointed, quite frustrated and a bit angry, at this point. It is a shame that we received this product, damaged, twice. The problem, clearly, is in the handling of the package in transit. We really wanted this item to compliment our other pieces, but unsure if we should even try a third time. Also, we don't have room to store a third box, keeping in mind, it weighs about a 175 lbs and is approx. 5 feet long, by 3 feet wide and a foot and half thick.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Purchased a 4 cube organizer made by Better Homes and Gardens at Walmart. I must say this is the worst piece of ** I have ever tried to put together. First, I counted all my dowels and was short 1. Went to hardware store to purchase dowels. Started working on it again and noticed a wavy line on 2 of the pieces which could be felt with your finger and definitely could be seen when the light hit it- defect in surface. One corner edge was starting to peel up. And after putting in the dowels the particle board was starting to crumble. I can't believe these companies try to pass off this ** to consumers as good merchandise. I shouldn't be surprised -- another piece of garbage MADE OUTSIDE THE USA.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

These candles cannot burn out on their own. When the wick ends, the glass shatters, the wax leaks, and burns whatever surface it is on. Thankfully I was nearby when I heard the glass shatter. The flame was above the rim, the wax was leaking out of the glass and it began to burn my accent table. I will not recommend this product nor purchase from this company again.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I found out that two subscriptions were debited from my account. One is Martha Stewart Living. The other is Better Homes & Gardens. I contacted the company today to tell them to stop them and refund both $12.00 payments to me. I got their information from this - http://www.bhg.com/help/general-question-regarding-my-magazine-subscription/. I gave them 5 business days to respond, stop the subscriptions and refund my $24.00 total to my debit account. I hope this helps others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Meredith Corporation?

Original review: March 12, 2017

I have noticed that the advertisements from BHG for recipes, etc. are full of adware that can sometimes be malicious software. It will redirect the person on the site to other types of advertisements and usually hooks your consumer information for tracking and other nefarious reasons. I tried looking for a way to contact BHG to complaint other than by phone to the magazine but to no avail. Having been infested with adware that often is truly malware I avoid sites with this kind of misleading information designed to drop the viewer into other places than the one your click was intended to activate. So, I am blocking BHG anything. Sick and tired of these fishing expedition companies that use the name that use to be synonymous with good products to bother and harass consumers. BHG is no longer a good name to trust in my opinion. Their sites are just booby traps. Clean 'em up BHG or lose business!!!

Original review: March 9, 2017

I purchased 2, 16 piece Urban Multi flatware sets at my local Wal-Mart. The last two available. Upon unpacking the sets, I discovered that on the red handled display dinner spoon, were several chips. I assumed that I could return it to the company for an exchange. No. On contacting the company by e-mail, I was told they don't have replacements and that I would either have to purchase one online or find another WalMart that had them in stock. Nice. So much for the quality of BH&G.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

About a month ago I went to our local Walmart for bath towels... what I thought were beautiful lush towels turned out to be awful. I have washed these two towels about 5 times and they never get absorbent. I will never buy this product again... VERY disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2016

Recently I purchased two sheet sets from Walmart (one King and one Queen). They were labeled 350 thread count (which is good) but when I took them out to wash them ~ OMG~ these are absolutely the worst sheets that I have ever owned! They are (hard) cotton and WRINKLE. When coming out of the dryer they looked like they had been balled up for months!! Very uncomfortable to sleep on and can't roll over when having cotton pj's on. I just stick to the sheets!!! Of course after being washed, Walmart will not take them back! I am also going to contact Better Homes and Gardens because I want my money back! The King set was $49.99 and the Queen set was $39.99. I was ripped off. I hope ConsumerAffairs can do something!! Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I bought their sheets at Walmart that said 100% cotton, not true. I learned after I used them they were also polyester. They were So very thin and did not feel good against your skin. I can't very well return them after I used them, but I will never put them on the bed again. VERY disappointed! A waste of $45!

Original review: July 25, 2016

I purchased the BHG Stonehaven Futon at Walmart on 2/16/16 for use at our mountain cabin. Took 3 hrs to assemble and I was pleased with the look though the "mattress" is thin and not really comfortable. After 3 uses, the welding failed in 4 places and one of the steel tube station folded right at a screw. Weighing in at a whopping 130 lbs, I'm confident it's not my weight, just poor manufacture and design. As this item has a 1 year warranty, I contacted Walmart, their policy allows 90 days for returns, so that didn't work. I have left 15 messages over 9 days at BHG product support and have not yet had the courtesy of a return call. My grandmother's swore by the BHG'S name, as did my mother. My how times have changed. I will never purchase their brand again, in my experience it is junk, their warranty is useless, and they have NO customer support.

Original review: March 23, 2016

We keep receiving books which were not ordered, then 'past due' bills keep coming. Can't contact anybody. Website brings no results; phone #'s are dead ends. ConsumerAffairs should investigate these people. OK, update of 5 min. ago: finally got to speak to a 'Keith' at Meredith Books, and instructed him to cancel any more shipping of books, which he stated that would be done. We shall see, as I have sent cancellation requests before.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

Purchased a Better Homes & Gardens 3 Bag Laundry Sorter. Did not use it long before bags began to tear apart. Since this purchase I have not found this item in stores for a return. Product not very well made. I do not recommend a purchase.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I ordered 1 bottle and they processed the order for 5 bottles. The email address was incorrect and I was disconnected after waiting 9 minutes on hold. I called back and finally spoke to "Alex" who reports the only option is to wait for the order to be received and then return for a refund. However, the order has not been processed or shipped. Alex refused to transfer me to manager or give me the email address to the company. I explained I located many complaints regarding the company and the scam they are running and Alex did not dispute. She gave me the name of the manager: Hannah **, but would not provide any other information. I cannot believe this company is still permitted to be in business.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

Purchase pillows at Walmart/Better Home and Gardens: 18"x18". When received they were 17"x17" overall 4" less which you can notice. Their products are made in China so probably the Chinese do not know what inches are. I will never buy a product by better home and gardens. Cheaters to the max.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2015

I am trying to contact Better Homes and Gardens about acquiring a return label to return 3 cookbooks my deceased grandmother has. I cannot seem to find a contact and just want to return these books or trash them. Please help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2015

I purchased an outdoor set Better Homes & Garden Furniture from Walmart on March 21, 2015. The furniture has not been used frequently and the cushion for the sofa has frayed, discolored and the dye keeps coming off. I went to Walmart and they would do nothing since it was past the 90 days of purchase. I realized it's in the sun but it should last more than 5 months. I definitely would not recommend buy this furniture.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2015

I purchased a 7 piece set from Wal-Mart on July 14, 2015 and on August 3, 2015. The glass table shattered for no reason except the outside heat. However, it was a normal 90-degree day and the tabletop was 2/3 covered by the umbrella! Called Wal-Mart after doing a bit of research and found that it was not uncommon for glass tops with metal frames to do this. It is Not supposed to happen due to the outdoor tempered glass but for whatever reason it does and no one is telling you so please be careful.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

I bought a magazine subscription for 1 year magazine subscription to Better Homes and Gardens. I paid for it with a credit card. Now, they keep auto-renewing my subscription. I have been requesting a cancellation since 2013 and they will not cancel. I'm running out of patience and options. Please advise. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I loved this blanket until I washed it once, about 4-5 months after the purchase, then fuzzy balls were everywhere!!! All in my bed, on my clothes, all over my carpet. It was crazy how many there were.

Original review: May 30, 2015

Better Homes and Gardens sends bills to me for magazines and I never ordered any nor do I want to subscribe. I discovered that this company do this to all kinds of people. I've read nothing but complaints like this online. There obviously something that need to be done about these illegal practices within this crooked business. I wouldn't want to buy anything from anyone whose goal is to be dishonest and thievery towards others just for money.

Original review: April 28, 2015

Better Homes and Gardens sends bills to me for magazines and I never ordered any nor do I want to subscribe. They do this to all kinds of people. I've read nothing but complaints like this online. Can't something be done they're obviously crooked and should be shut down. If you can't make money honestly you shouldn't be allowed to be in business.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2015

I have one of the Better Homes and Gardens laundry sorting systems. Until today, we loved it. It served us very well. However, the ironing board top cover has ripped and I cannot reach Better Homes and Gardens to replace it. I would even be happy to pay for the replacement, but there seems to be no one to contact.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

Better Homes and Gardens 18 oz Cranberry and Mandarin Splash Cdl - Have bought your candles before, but this time I was put in a dangerous situation. The candle was lit in the kitchen. I happened to walk out there, and the glass jar had cracked, and candle wax was everywhere. I moved other items out of the way, and thankfully nothing got burned. There was a real mess of wax all over my kitchen counter. This could have been a very serious matter, and I strongly suggest that you check the safety of these candles. They aren't cheap, so they really shouldn't be made cheaply.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

Fell apart with constant fuzzy land and fur balls all over my home. It was on my shirt and my bed and floor as well. BUYER BEWARE, Better Homes and Gardens will do nothing about their poor product, they only want you to contact Walmart. The least I can do is donate the blanket to the animal shelter for dogs to enjoy it, $30 down the drain. This is the second blanket I have purchased from Walmart under the Better Homes and Gardens brand name. I will never purchase again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

One day we started receiving Better Homes & Garden mag. and I asked my wife why she would want to subscribe to this - she said "I never did." I tried contacting them but you have to create an account - I'm not doing that! I can't find a phone number nor an email address to stop this. This ether is a scam or a mistake but I don't know how to stop them from sending this magazine to me. I hate this! I have a feeling I'm going to get a bill some day to collect $ for something I didn't order or even want! UGH! What's wrong with people?

Original review: March 21, 2014

In February, I started receiving this magazine. I did not order it. Here is the only response I can get. I have spoken with an operator named Sydney. He will not help. They will not tell me the third party that ordered this. They will not let me cancel. All of the "help" lines are bogus. The 515-284-3000 line is a line to dead links. This is fraud. I did not give anyone any authority to send me anything even for a trial basis. The following is their only response to me. The phone numbers do not work and the websites do not help.

"Thank you for contacting Better Homes & Gardens. Your request has not yet been fully processed. You must complete the following to cancel. We are sorry you chose to cancel your subscription to Better Homes & Gardens. To cancel, please visit ** where you can not only cancel but you can also view your account status, change your address, report a missed or damaged issue, give a gift subscription plus much more. We recognize your time is valuable and with that in mind, your inquiry was passed through our automated response system. Although we've fine-tuned our system to get you the best possible answer the first time, we know that this may not always be the case. If we missed the mark in answering your question, please let us know by replying back including Need Assistance at the end of the subject line. We will forward your question to one of our knowledgeable specialists for further assistance. Thank you, Better Homes & Gardens Customer Service.

For all your subscription service needs, visit ** the quick, easy and safe way to manage your magazine account and answer any questions you may have in one convenient place. Ethics line: 866-457-7445 Meredith publications ethics line."

This is a bogus help line. Sydney was the person who helped me evasively. The Person, Sydney, said that the numbers I have are correct and that it is not his responsibility to solve my problem. Option 2 is a dead line. Waiting for the operator is a dead line.

Original review: April 13, 2009

I purchased a quilt from the new Better Homes and Garden line in early March. I have had it on my bed for about a month and it is coming apart in numerous places, literally ripping at the seams of each quilted piece. I am totally disappointed in the quality of the product and will not be purchasing another product from the Better Homes and Garden line.

Original review: July 9, 2008

I just want to alert you about a computer desk I bought. It is nearly a piece of cheap and inferior furniture. I had a man put it together for me and it has taken the better part of two days due to the screw holes being too large, pieces not fitting properly, etc. I would have brought it back but he'd already completed it before I knew about the problems he encountered. I am very disappointed with the quality of the desk. I knew it was not a quality piece due to the price, but, I did expect it to be much better than it is. The clerk at the store told me it took two of them to put it together and 4 hours to finish it! I believe every word he said! It has taken more than that for mine, the man had to deal with many construction problems because of its inferior workmanship. Thank you.

Original review: June 11, 2008

My husband and I have tried on numerous occasions to cancel a subscription, with no results. We did not even subscribe to the magazine. They send us magazines every month and we throw them away. It always has a red stamp on the envelope "Last Issue Alert", but it is never the last issue! When we went on their website in order to unsubscribe, they require you to establish an account with them. I am not doing that. So how do we get unsubscribe? Help!

Better Homes & Gardens Company Information