1.89/5
Based on 87 reviews that contain star ratings

The Hartford - Homeowners

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

118 The Hartford - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

I am very pleased with my homeowners policy that I have through the Hartford, I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They are very helpful when they are needed.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I'm very happy with our current insurance. We haven't filed a claim in a long time, but last time we did it was fine.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

If you have a claim Hartford is a good company. They pay promptly and there is no long time lag. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

Happy with correct billings statements. Have never made any claims and so have no experience with how they handle claims or the process. They make it easy to re-enroll every year.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

My now 92 year old mother had a flood in her home. The agent started out nice but then stopped returning my calls. Even the supervisors stopped calling. I had to get a lawyer and they won't return his calls either. I feel like they are just waiting for my mother to pass away so they don't have to pay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

No problems with them and they give the most for the price. Their reps are very good and their web site is easy to follow. There are no hidden stuff and the cost is the cheapest on the market. And cannot find anything better and I check all the time.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Rates are very affordable, have more than enough coverage for the rate paid. Have never filed a claim, so can't comment relative to claims service. Overall, very pleased in dealings with company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Their website is very easy to navigate and you can get their quotes online without any annoying phone calls. Their rates are very competitive with State Farm and Allstate. They also give the multi-policy discount if you want other insurance like auto. Also available through a local representative if you prefer the personal contact.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

While I have never had to file a claim, they have been very helpful in making sure I have the right amount of coverage and at a reasonable price. Any time I would call with a question they were always quite able to answer it to my satisfaction. When ever I make any improvements to my home I just call them and let them know and boost the coverage to the limit that I would need.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

Hartford insurance has always treated me more than just another customer to them. All of the representatives for the company have taken the time to know you on a more warm and personal level not just another money maker for their company. The local agents all know me and my family and even remember our dogs. Our Hartford rep even took the time to send my son a Birthday and also a Get Well Soon card in the mail and is almost like part of our family.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I can call them when I have a question. They know how to call me back with an answer. Any paperwork I need they do mail out to me right away. I recommend them to all my family members and associates.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

I'm a 74 years old widow, and these agents seem to think I'm stupid. Eleven months after reporting leak with mildew and mold, this claim is still not settled. When I complain, Hartford sends me back to the same supervisor who didn't fix the problem the first time.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I feel they have my best interest at heart. I have never had any problems with them from the first day till now. The amount I pay it perfect for my budget. The customer service department is so good. They are friendly, make me feel like they are part of my family and enjoy my phone calls and questions. I have always been able to get in touch with them at any time.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Though expensive, the company is quick to respond and easy to deal with. They have a good telephone reporting system and are quick to respond to claims and requests. Their record keeping when you have multiple policies with them can frequently get confusing as they have misapplied payments on numerous occasions.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I have had a pleasant experience with Hartford, through a hail storm. They were fast, courteous and fair. Then when I asked them to adjust my rates, they did just that, without trying to talk me into more coverage.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

No issues, never have filed a claim to have interaction with them so can't really respond as my insurance is paid thru my mortgage. So I have no real interaction with them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

This company provides several options to insure a quality product. The company also seems to use agents that are well informed of the product they represent.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

We changed to the Hartford insurance over a year ago because the rates were more affordable and the switch over was easy. We have not had to make a claim thus far so I cannot talk about the ease of making a claim. So far we are pleased with the company.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Homeowners policy was easy to sign up for. It is cost efficient. It covers all of my major concerns. It comes with a discount because I also have auto insurance with the same company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

My claim is taking forever, and I feel I don't see the end of it. This loss was on July 20th, 2015. As of today September 18th, 2015, nothing is resolved. My house was built in 2013. It is our dream house. A power surge has damaged three of my central air units, two of my bathroom Jacuzzis, and my electronic panel for my well pump. I had no water for two days. I had no air conditioner for almost two months, which is the rest of the summer. Not to mention the contractor the insurance sent was so incompetent that he had sent four contractors to my house and still has not figured out an estimate for the two Jacuzzis. The contractor was very unprofessional. He disconnected two of my bathroom Jacuzzi motors, and took them away. Now they were left in our driveway without being put back in my Jacuzzis.

The adjuster is very nice to talk to. However, I seldom could get a reply from him. Every time I call, and I have to talk to a customer service, if I'm lucky they can locate him and transfer me to him, otherwise, I feel I will never get a response from him. I talked to his direct supervisor, but she was a very nasty, unprofessional and argumentative person. Her words were even offensive. I would feel worse after I talked to her. She had done nothing but making this situation worse.

Sometimes I even feel she is making up stuff. It seems like she is the only supervisor I could talk to who is not resolving anything but aggravating me more and more. It seems like I could never actually talk to a manager. She always represents her manager. However, she is not representing well, instead of calming things down, she makes me feel stressed more than ever. I had no choice but to file a complaint here. I hope to talk to someone high enough to care about a very dissatisfied customer. I have been with this company for a while, I have 2 family auto policies with this company, now I just added homeowner insurance with this company. I definitely feel I am not being treated as a valued customer at all.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

We are 20 months into a dispute with Hartford Insurance. We have been model customers for 13 years with no claims and consistent on-time premium payments for our homes and automobiles. We had extensive water damage in our home of 23 years in December 2013. The project manager of the water mitigation company worked under Hartford's direction. The service invoice was submitted directly to Hartford. The check was sent for us to endorse, without documentation of work performed. Our requests for the invoice were ignored. Hartford and the project manager constructed a restoration settlement amount but the project manager was unable to hire subcontractors with the amount he had "negotiated." In his own words, he could not do the job because "To be honest with you, this is more than I can handle." There was never a contract so there was nothing to terminate.

In accordance with the instruction from the first of 6 Hartford adjusters, we obtained an estimate from an established, reputable, local contractor. Hartford rejected the estimate. We hired a public adjuster to represent us. Hartford paid a Professional Engineer (at a cost of approximately $350/hour) to minimize their payout. Our public adjuster worked very hard for many weeks to answer questions and to come to an agreement with the Professional Engineer but to no avail. The next step was to take the claim to appraisal. We hired a certified appraiser. Hartford rejected the appraiser's estimate. Hartford then hired three representatives from Hexagon Insurance Services (who were paid to drive several hours from Michigan to northeast Ohio and back, lodgings, and all other expenses).

Hexagon declined to confirm the validity of the certified appraiser's estimate, partially based on information provided via email by the project manager who is now the owner of a local Servpro franchise. An umpire was brought in. False information from Servpro of Geauga County that negatively impacts our claim was sent to the umpire via Hexagon. Hartford has paid expenses for a Hexagon representative to travel two additional times to our home.

Bottom line: There appears to be an unethical relationship between the water mitigation project manager, Hartford, and Hartford's hired representatives in which they conspire to deny payment for portions of valid customer claims. These actions are in direct violation of the law that requires insurance companies to act in good faith and deal fairly with persons they insure.

In the meantime, everything is on hold. Our home is deteriorating. It is uninhabitable. The village where it is located is taking action against us. Our expenses include payment for public adjuster services, payment for certified appraiser services, payment for umpire services, payment for contents claim representation, and travel expenses. At this point, our expenses amount to well over $24,000 - which must be paid from the claim settlement and these are just the tangibles. We have not received a single cent in loss of use payments despite the fact that we have been unable to spend holidays and months of seasonal time for 20 months in our home of 23 years. Ironically, had Hartford added the dollars to the claim that it has spent acting in bad faith, it could all have been settled. There is no fair dealing here.

A similar complaint by Shirley of Cass City, MI on June 18, 2014 appears on this website (https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/aarp_homeowners.html). Please note: Shirley's complaint does not implicate the aforementioned project manager (and current Servpro franchise owner). It does, however, describe a similar relationship between Hartford and Servpro in another location; and it mirrors our experience with the current owner of the Servpro of Geauga County franchise and Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

They claim I need new roof.. Tiles were okay but am putting on new roof. Had a sign up about having biting dog (no dog.. sign was up to keep thieves from breaking in). They gave me no option to fix any issues which are not that bad, before renewal time. They just told my agent, they will not renew me... I have lived in my home for 43 years and never had one claim and never had a claim with my car... and suddenly I'm not allowed to renew. Got to find other insurance now. They will not get to keep my car insured there. They don't want my house, they don't get my car either. This was totally unfair treatment.

Original review: April 28, 2015

I found out that I was being charged premiums for an all brick house with 3 baths... I have a 95% aluminum house with two small sections of face brick. I have a bath and 3/4 and they had me down for 3 baths. I have been overpaying for premiums for maybe 10 years and they refunded me 100 dollars. In October I submitted a hail damage claim on my home. Hartford adjuster dealt with an adjuster from a company I assigned to handle claim. Vinyl siding was put on the house and the noise from it is so bad I can't sleep in the house. Neither adjuster will address my problem, they just don't return calls.

Called an independent siding contractor... he said neither the adjuster from Hartford listed either insulation or house wrap in their estimate and neither box was checked on the contract from Neighborhood Restoration. I need the entire siding removed and either insulation or house wrap on the house and new vinyl siding applied which will cost me 5,000 which I don't have. This is like selling your shoes and not saying you need to wear socks so you don't get blisters. Well, I can't sleep in this house with the popping and cracking and it sounds like animals are under the siding.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Last year my flood insurance was purchased for minimal coverage at $211.00 for each of my 2 properties. I live in 1, the 2nd purchased for my mother in law and disabled son and family. This year a surcharge was ADDED making them $452 each EXTORTED, FOR growing old. We pay all the expenses, Punished for Caring totally for family. AARP HARTFORD was thought to aid and PROTECT SENIORS!

Original review: March 25, 2015

We had a flood in our home which significantly impacted 3 rooms in our home. They sent an appraiser who prepared a ridiculously low estimate. The Hartford finally agreed the appraisal was flawed. We obtained 5 contractor estimates and the Hartford agreed to pay for the lowest cost contractor, therefore selecting who we used. While repairs were being made, additional damage was uncovered and we notified The Hartford as instructed, supplying photos and videos for each item.

A rude female supervisor got involved and said she would not replace our front door although this item was already approved because it was significantly more than they had estimated, lied and then bullied us by saying she would send another appraiser and possible give us less money and not approve anything else unless we pulled back our request to replace our existing front door. She said we were upgrading our home, which is ridiculous! We have no doors in our house that lock (garage doors and front door trashed). They have stopped responding to all emails and calls and still have not sent our "depreciated monies." They are holding ransom! Does anyone know who to turn to to get The Hartford fined for their behavior?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

Hail storm destroyed roofs in 150 house subdivision. My 19-year old roof was one of about 10 that were not replaced. Hartford said it was not damaged. Roof inspector said it was 95% damaged. House was up for sale - insurance dropped me for having vacant home - no further help. I dropped 6 policies with Hartford because of horrible service.

Original review: July 17, 2014

We were away for an extended time, 3-4 months. During that time a raccoon got in by breaking through a vaulted ceiling and proceeded to ransack every room in the small house before breaking away the tub surround in two places and leaving through one. Our claim was denied entirely. No blood, no entrance point, no exit point were the reasons given despite the obvious damages AND FOOTPRINTS in the bathroom sink, on the toilet seat and in the tub. It is a small wonder Hartford has a 1 star rating.

Original review: July 14, 2014

My home was hit by Hail 4/4/14 and I filed a claim with Hartford online as suggested by my insurance broker. All went well and an adjuster was assigned. He sent a field service writer to assess damages, no problem there. He quit and it took 2 weeks to receive damage report, another 2 weeks to receive partial check which we held on to until we were ready to have work done, approximately 45 days. Had problems depositing check but was more of a bank issue. After check was deposited for 7 days and we wrote checks on it Hartford cancelled it, leaving us short in our checking thus costing us overdraft fees. I spoke with my now new adjuster and her supervisor who promised me I would have my check in 2 days. She would send it 2nd day air. I wanted direct deposit but she said direct deposit would take 72 hours so I said mail it. 13 days later, 5 emails, 3 calls and 2 emails saying it's in the mail. NO CHECK. Beware.

Original review: May 1, 2014

They were supposed to enroll me in auto pay, but they didn't and after one missed payment, they cancelled and banned me. I had been a great customer for a year and a half with zero claims and no trouble at all. However, I recently switched my Hartford plan from a local agent to their headquarter office. But, the stupid agent I spoke to, didn't enroll me in auto pay, and after one missed payment, they cancelled my account, refused to enroll me again, and pretty much banned me from their company. So now, I don't have insurance on my house and have to go searching again. This is absolutely horrible, unethical, and unprofessional. Who does business like this? It's disgusting.

Original review: March 19, 2014

I am currently a claimant with the Hartford Insurance company. I have had to contact them on almost every occasion during the claim process. My car has been sitting at the body shop with little progress for over 30 days. I was informed by the rental car company on 3/18 that Hartford stopped paying for the rental on 3/7. Hartford never called me to say they stopped paying for the car. According to the body shop, they have refused to send the appraiser to come out and look at the supplemental damage to the car. Also, the body shop they recommended neglected to discern the difference in models of my Honda element SC vs a base model (there are different components on more expensive models).

My body shop owner, who I trust, made the distinct situation known to both the adjustor and his supervisor. At this point, I now have to start over with my insurance company as an insured and hope this goes smoother as well as fork out my deductible. How could I ever recommend the Hartford to anyone after this negative experience? The damage of the original estimate ($2500) and the supplement another $1700 is relatively minor, but they seem steadfast in wasting time and money.

The Hartford - Homeowners Company Information