The Hartford - Homeowners
1.94/5
  • 1 star
Based on 77 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

The Hartford - Homeowners

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 16, 2017

108 The Hartford - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I can call them when I have a question. They know how to call me back with an answer. Any paperwork I need they do mail out to me right away. I recommend them to all my family members and associates.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

I'm a 74 years old widow, and these agents seem to think I'm stupid. Eleven months after reporting leak with mildew and mold, this claim is still not settled. When I complain, Hartford sends me back to the same supervisor who didn't fix the problem the first time.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I feel they have my best interest at heart. I have never had any problems with them from the first day till now. The amount I pay it perfect for my budget. The customer service department is so good. They are friendly, make me feel like they are part of my family and enjoy my phone calls and questions. I have always been able to get in touch with them at any time.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Though expensive, the company is quick to respond and easy to deal with. They have a good telephone reporting system and are quick to respond to claims and requests. Their record keeping when you have multiple policies with them can frequently get confusing as they have misapplied payments on numerous occasions.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I have had a pleasant experience with Hartford, through a hail storm. They were fast, courteous and fair. Then when I asked them to adjust my rates, they did just that, without trying to talk me into more coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

No issues, never have filed a claim to have interaction with them so can't really respond as my insurance is paid thru my mortgage. So I have no real interaction with them.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

This company provides several options to insure a quality product. The company also seems to use agents that are well informed of the product they represent.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

We changed to the Hartford insurance over a year ago because the rates were more affordable and the switch over was easy. We have not had to make a claim thus far so I cannot talk about the ease of making a claim. So far we are pleased with the company.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Homeowners policy was easy to sign up for. It is cost efficient. It covers all of my major concerns. It comes with a discount because I also have auto insurance with the same company.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2015

My claim is taking forever, and I feel I don't see the end of it. This loss was on July 20th, 2015. As of today September 18th, 2015, nothing is resolved. My house was built in 2013. It is our dream house. A power surge has damaged three of my central air units, two of my bathroom Jacuzzis, and my electronic panel for my well pump. I had no water for two days. I had no air conditioner for almost two months, which is the rest of the summer. Not to mention the contractor the insurance sent was so incompetent that he had sent four contractors to my house and still has not figured out an estimate for the two Jacuzzis. The contractor was very unprofessional. He disconnected two of my bathroom Jacuzzi motors, and took them away. Now they were left in our driveway without being put back in my Jacuzzis.

The adjuster is very nice to talk to. However, I seldom could get a reply from him. Every time I call, and I have to talk to a customer service, if I'm lucky they can locate him and transfer me to him, otherwise, I feel I will never get a response from him. I talked to his direct supervisor, but she was a very nasty, unprofessional and argumentative person. Her words were even offensive. I would feel worse after I talked to her. She had done nothing but making this situation worse.

Sometimes I even feel she is making up stuff. It seems like she is the only supervisor I could talk to who is not resolving anything but aggravating me more and more. It seems like I could never actually talk to a manager. She always represents her manager. However, she is not representing well, instead of calming things down, she makes me feel stressed more than ever. I had no choice but to file a complaint here. I hope to talk to someone high enough to care about a very dissatisfied customer. I have been with this company for a while, I have 2 family auto policies with this company, now I just added homeowner insurance with this company. I definitely feel I am not being treated as a valued customer at all.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

We are 20 months into a dispute with Hartford Insurance. We have been model customers for 13 years with no claims and consistent on-time premium payments for our homes and automobiles. We had extensive water damage in our home of 23 years in December 2013. The project manager of the water mitigation company worked under Hartford's direction. The service invoice was submitted directly to Hartford. The check was sent for us to endorse, without documentation of work performed. Our requests for the invoice were ignored. Hartford and the project manager constructed a restoration settlement amount but the project manager was unable to hire subcontractors with the amount he had "negotiated." In his own words, he could not do the job because "To be honest with you, this is more than I can handle." There was never a contract so there was nothing to terminate.

In accordance with the instruction from the first of 6 Hartford adjusters, we obtained an estimate from an established, reputable, local contractor. Hartford rejected the estimate. We hired a public adjuster to represent us. Hartford paid a Professional Engineer (at a cost of approximately $350/hour) to minimize their payout. Our public adjuster worked very hard for many weeks to answer questions and to come to an agreement with the Professional Engineer but to no avail. The next step was to take the claim to appraisal. We hired a certified appraiser. Hartford rejected the appraiser's estimate. Hartford then hired three representatives from Hexagon Insurance Services (who were paid to drive several hours from Michigan to northeast Ohio and back, lodgings, and all other expenses).

Hexagon declined to confirm the validity of the certified appraiser's estimate, partially based on information provided via email by the project manager who is now the owner of a local Servpro franchise. An umpire was brought in. False information from Servpro of Geauga County that negatively impacts our claim was sent to the umpire via Hexagon. Hartford has paid expenses for a Hexagon representative to travel two additional times to our home.

Bottom line: There appears to be an unethical relationship between the water mitigation project manager, Hartford, and Hartford's hired representatives in which they conspire to deny payment for portions of valid customer claims. These actions are in direct violation of the law that requires insurance companies to act in good faith and deal fairly with persons they insure.

In the meantime, everything is on hold. Our home is deteriorating. It is uninhabitable. The village where it is located is taking action against us. Our expenses include payment for public adjuster services, payment for certified appraiser services, payment for umpire services, payment for contents claim representation, and travel expenses. At this point, our expenses amount to well over $24,000 - which must be paid from the claim settlement and these are just the tangibles. We have not received a single cent in loss of use payments despite the fact that we have been unable to spend holidays and months of seasonal time for 20 months in our home of 23 years. Ironically, had Hartford added the dollars to the claim that it has spent acting in bad faith, it could all have been settled. There is no fair dealing here.

A similar complaint by Shirley of Cass City, MI on June 18, 2014 appears on this website (https://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/aarp_homeowners.html). Please note: Shirley's complaint does not implicate the aforementioned project manager (and current Servpro franchise owner). It does, however, describe a similar relationship between Hartford and Servpro in another location; and it mirrors our experience with the current owner of the Servpro of Geauga County franchise and Hartford.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2015

They claim I need new roof.. Tiles were okay but am putting on new roof. Had a sign up about having biting dog (no dog.. sign was up to keep thieves from breaking in). They gave me no option to fix any issues which are not that bad, before renewal time. They just told my agent, they will not renew me... I have lived in my home for 43 years and never had one claim and never had a claim with my car... and suddenly I'm not allowed to renew. Got to find other insurance now. They will not get to keep my car insured there. They don't want my house, they don't get my car either. This was totally unfair treatment.

Original review: April 28, 2015

I found out that I was being charged premiums for an all brick house with 3 baths... I have a 95% aluminum house with two small sections of face brick. I have a bath and 3/4 and they had me down for 3 baths. I have been overpaying for premiums for maybe 10 years and they refunded me 100 dollars. In October I submitted a hail damage claim on my home. Hartford adjuster dealt with an adjuster from a company I assigned to handle claim. Vinyl siding was put on the house and the noise from it is so bad I can't sleep in the house. Neither adjuster will address my problem, they just don't return calls.

Called an independent siding contractor... he said neither the adjuster from Hartford listed either insulation or house wrap in their estimate and neither box was checked on the contract from Neighborhood Restoration. I need the entire siding removed and either insulation or house wrap on the house and new vinyl siding applied which will cost me 5,000 which I don't have. This is like selling your shoes and not saying you need to wear socks so you don't get blisters. Well, I can't sleep in this house with the popping and cracking and it sounds like animals are under the siding.

Original review: March 26, 2015

Last year my flood insurance was purchased for minimal coverage at $211.00 for each of my 2 properties. I live in 1, the 2nd purchased for my mother in law and disabled son and family. This year a surcharge was ADDED making them $452 each EXTORTED, FOR growing old. We pay all the expenses, Punished for Caring totally for family. AARP HARTFORD was thought to aid and PROTECT SENIORS!

Original review: March 25, 2015

We had a flood in our home which significantly impacted 3 rooms in our home. They sent an appraiser who prepared a ridiculously low estimate. The Hartford finally agreed the appraisal was flawed. We obtained 5 contractor estimates and the Hartford agreed to pay for the lowest cost contractor, therefore selecting who we used. While repairs were being made, additional damage was uncovered and we notified The Hartford as instructed, supplying photos and videos for each item.

A rude female supervisor got involved and said she would not replace our front door although this item was already approved because it was significantly more than they had estimated, lied and then bullied us by saying she would send another appraiser and possible give us less money and not approve anything else unless we pulled back our request to replace our existing front door. She said we were upgrading our home, which is ridiculous! We have no doors in our house that lock (garage doors and front door trashed). They have stopped responding to all emails and calls and still have not sent our "depreciated monies." They are holding ransom! Does anyone know who to turn to to get The Hartford fined for their behavior?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

Hail storm destroyed roofs in 150 house subdivision. My 19-year old roof was one of about 10 that were not replaced. Hartford said it was not damaged. Roof inspector said it was 95% damaged. House was up for sale - insurance dropped me for having vacant home - no further help. I dropped 6 policies with Hartford because of horrible service.

Original review: July 17, 2014

We were away for an extended time, 3-4 months. During that time a raccoon got in by breaking through a vaulted ceiling and proceeded to ransack every room in the small house before breaking away the tub surround in two places and leaving through one. Our claim was denied entirely. No blood, no entrance point, no exit point were the reasons given despite the obvious damages AND FOOTPRINTS in the bathroom sink, on the toilet seat and in the tub. It is a small wonder Hartford has a 1 star rating.

Original review: July 14, 2014

My home was hit by Hail 4/4/14 and I filed a claim with Hartford online as suggested by my insurance broker. All went well and an adjuster was assigned. He sent a field service writer to assess damages, no problem there. He quit and it took 2 weeks to receive damage report, another 2 weeks to receive partial check which we held on to until we were ready to have work done, approximately 45 days. Had problems depositing check but was more of a bank issue. After check was deposited for 7 days and we wrote checks on it Hartford cancelled it, leaving us short in our checking thus costing us overdraft fees. I spoke with my now new adjuster and her supervisor who promised me I would have my check in 2 days. She would send it 2nd day air. I wanted direct deposit but she said direct deposit would take 72 hours so I said mail it. 13 days later, 5 emails, 3 calls and 2 emails saying it's in the mail. NO CHECK. Beware.

Original review: May 1, 2014

They were supposed to enroll me in auto pay, but they didn't and after one missed payment, they cancelled and banned me. I had been a great customer for a year and a half with zero claims and no trouble at all. However, I recently switched my Hartford plan from a local agent to their headquarter office. But, the stupid agent I spoke to, didn't enroll me in auto pay, and after one missed payment, they cancelled my account, refused to enroll me again, and pretty much banned me from their company. So now, I don't have insurance on my house and have to go searching again. This is absolutely horrible, unethical, and unprofessional. Who does business like this? It's disgusting.

Original review: March 19, 2014

I am currently a claimant with the Hartford Insurance company. I have had to contact them on almost every occasion during the claim process. My car has been sitting at the body shop with little progress for over 30 days. I was informed by the rental car company on 3/18 that Hartford stopped paying for the rental on 3/7. Hartford never called me to say they stopped paying for the car. According to the body shop, they have refused to send the appraiser to come out and look at the supplemental damage to the car. Also, the body shop they recommended neglected to discern the difference in models of my Honda element SC vs a base model (there are different components on more expensive models).

My body shop owner, who I trust, made the distinct situation known to both the adjustor and his supervisor. At this point, I now have to start over with my insurance company as an insured and hope this goes smoother as well as fork out my deductible. How could I ever recommend the Hartford to anyone after this negative experience? The damage of the original estimate ($2500) and the supplement another $1700 is relatively minor, but they seem steadfast in wasting time and money.

Original review: March 8, 2014

Wow the Hartford!! The Hartford insurance company never wants to PAY A CLAIM EVER! They train their employees to shut down, over talk, bully low income homeowners who have legitimate claims. I have a basement with sewage in it and they are denying my claim before they even send an adjuster out. John handling my claim from afar has every excuse scripted!! I am 84 years old, my home is paid for, I never have filed a claim. And my basement is destroyed!! I have a tv station coming to my home because this racist crap must be exposed!! I am filing a claim with the insurance commission, I have read my policy and I have coverage! Let's expose these crooked people and get them shut down!! Thanks. This is not right and I will fight to the end!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2014

When I received my notice for renewal, the replacement cost for our home was more than double from last year. Attempts to resolve the outlandish increase were initially unsuccessful, with ambiguous explanations from "not so polite" customer service representatives. We have been insured with The Hartford for over 14 years. Upon seeking competitive bids, insurers said our roof had too much damage and they rejected our applications. Several storm events had happened over our tenure with The Hartford, All of the homes adjacent to ours, and across the street received full roof replacement since 2007.

Our claims with the Hartford in this period barely exceeded our deductible. Their inspectors said our roof was structurally sound. After the outrageous increases and refusal of other insurers to cover our home, we filed another claim with The Hartford for hail and wind damage. Inspectors from Crawford & Company, and later a forensic engineer from Donan Engineering said our roof had no appreciable damage except for dents in two vent caps. Substantial guttering damage from hail was allowed. Dents in HVAC condenser fins from hail were also apparent, but were missed by the Crawford & Company inspector. The Donan representative said they were "mechanical", and not hail, but offered no other detail. Hartford finally allowed a little money (not enough) have the fins combed after I submitted pictures. Although contractors said our roof had substantial storm damage, in agreement with the inspectors that rejected our roof, The Hartford has not allowed our claim for roof repair.or replacement. The claim is still unresolved.

Upon filing a complaint with our State Insurance Commissioner, The Hartford immediately found an acceptable solution for the outrageous replacement cost increase. The Hartford still has yet to submit a reply on the claim and inspection discrepancies. The allotted time for a reply to the Insurance Commission has not run out. There are many unexplained differences between the Donan and Crawford reports. The Donan report reads like a "boiler plate" response similar to other documented complaints (foot traffic damage, wear and tear, mechanical damage, moss, lichens, animals, etc.) with some roofing pictures from our home thrown in. There were no explanations as to why all our neighbors had severe storm damage to almost identical shake roofing, yet our roof avoided similar damage. There was no mention of other inspectors assessments.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2014

We have been loyal Hartford Insurance Company customers since 1999, and never filed a completed claim. In January 2011, our home was burglarized. We hired a local window washer to wash our exterior windows ONLY and he was on our premises for a total of fourteen hours, a job that we've had done every winter and has only ever taken 1:25 hours. Because we were not going to be at home (which he had foreknowledge of), he gained access through an unlocked garage door. When he reported to me on 1/19 that he, "had to come back tomorrow to finish this job", we allowed him to return the following day.

We filed a police report in December 2011 which was accepted. We had initially wanted to file a claim in Small Claims Court, but when this option became fruitless, we finally made the decision to file a claim through our Hartford homeowners policy in January 2013. Our initial contact with them was on June 6, 2012. The Hartford was well aware of the justifiable reasons for our delay in filing with them, and despite this, they used that point in addition to their claim that they found no evidence that a theft occurred. This is an outrage. The Hartford sent an investigator to our home and he was in our home for three hours.

He could and should have also visited the home of the perpetrator who lives only minutes from us. He chose instead to call him on the phone. Highly unprofessional. As mortgaged homeowners, we are required to have insurance, and then, when we file a claim, they don't believe us and prefer to believe the perpetrator, who lied to them. We additionally filed an appeal, which was also denied. Shame on you, Hartford Insurance!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I had a flooding in my small business, which has been paying The Hartford for nearly twenty years without a claim. They did cover some of the claim, but the key issue was the carpet. They insist the landlord is responsible. However, it is a tenant improvement made by the previous owner, as the landlord is only responsible for four walls and a bare floor. Avoid this company and go with someone you can trust. And good luck with that, too.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2013

I was denied a payment for break in. I was denied because I had not told them about some sterling silver I had purchased in 1942 and its worth had gone up and it had a high dollar value. I now need a copy of that denial and they won't send another copy.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2013

They raised our insurance by $400 because they said we lived in another township and not Jackson, where we do live. So we called many many times and got the run around and then was told we had to get a letter from Coalton fire station where we get fire protection from with their letter head on it so we did and they said we are 5.1 miles from there. When we called them back as they never called us they said they got letter but the $400 still stands as they get their fire information from ISO and you cannot call ISO and talk to them nor will they change the fire station to where it had been for years. We always paid when our bills came in and never had a claim. All I can say is they don't treat their customers right at all. I will never have anything to do with them.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2013

We had a leak in the house. Called and the person is not courteous or helpful. In a short few minutes, she decided the error is ours and 1/2 the claim is tossed. Wow, to be able to see across the nation and rule out claim damage. And I thought we had left Allstate.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2013

My business has been with The Hartford Insurance for over 5 years. Recently, we have a burst pipe and water flooded my whole business. I called Claim dept. to file a claim. Instead of sending someone out to look at the damage, they told me over the phone I need to have receipts of all the installation that was done over 5 years ago. Long story short, the company that installed my carpet is no longer in business, so now The Hartford refused to pay for the damage. =( We never for once were late or have problem paying our monthly, but when the accident occurred, The Hartford sure has a problem of taking care of their end of the deal.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2013

I went out on my deck and heard a strange noise. When I looked down the deck had separated from the house. We had a lot of rains so I called Hartford. Now in 45 years I have never filed a claim with any insurance company and was with Hartford for about 6 years. The adjuster came out, looked over the damage then they sent an engineer out. The deck was bolted to the house. They said since the deck was built before the building codes changed it was not covered. Now the exposed wood on the house is rotting and the siding came off and mold is coming into the basement. I am a senior, and can't hire anyone. The deck has a few post now holding it up but not much longer

Original review: May 21, 2013

If you have had any issues with the claims department, please submit them to the Department of Insurance. I spoke with someone there this week and she told me that if a company has more than 10 claims, they will need to set up an assessment/review of the company. Based on the hundreds of complaints I have seen on Hartford, I'm sure we can all pull together and make the public aware of their unethical business practice. Thank you.

The Hartford - Homeowners Company Information

The Hartford
One Hartford Plaza
Hartford
CT
www.thehartford.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use