Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

The Hartford - Homeowners

The Hartford - Homeowners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.90/5

The Hartford offers home and auto insurance. It not a verified InsuraMatch carrier, which backs the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Call InsuraMatch today to find the best auto insurance for your needs.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

The Hartford - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: March 3, 2020

Yes I have a bad storm four yrs ago and just getting 3000 more doll after four yrs. It started with first check of 43 doll and I ask for new adjuster and they sent me two Comp men out and after they left there was over 36000 doll in damage not including my shed. They sent 5000. Barely enough to put roof back on and said they would pay rest after I had it fixed and sent them receipt so I fix it. It took a while since they wouldn’t give any money to do if had to do it out of pocket and when I sent the receipt in they want to have a readjustment done and the lady that came out sent in I’m not sure what because they refused to let me have a copy to see if it was all add that had been fixed and sent last check of 3000. This is four yrs in getting this done. That 8000 out off 56000.

I sent emails and told them that this isn’t right. I had cost replacement and I had spent 30000 to fix my home and that I was hiring a private adjuster and I did. He wrote up over 56000 and they said they would look at it if I had one come out. I did and they said case is closed and that if that is not right when I had it fixed cheaper than their on Comp adjuster had wrote up but refused to pay me any more money after receipt was sent and refused to look at my private adjuster sheet. Is this right to do a 83yr old lady on storm damage? I wouldn’t buy insurance from this Comp at all and I write comp headquarters and had no response.

This is not right to do a customer in anybody’s eyes and I don’t know what to do. You would think that their on Comp people right at up they would honor it but they don’t and this need to be put where everybody can read this including The Hartford. They advertise how they are for the AARP and they're not at all. This is a shame that consumers get this done and no one to help them change it. Their word overrides everything else. This is not the way you do your customers in USA and I hope this will make people aware of this Comp policies. They need changed. Thank you. D ** of Telephone Texas.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We had a very large oak tree fall on our house in July. In the process of it falling, some of the top branches also fell onto our pool deck and caused damage to the pool. The pool has been green since this happened due to not being able to run the pump. The tree actually moved the center of the house separating the rafters. They first send a roofer even though they were told and sent pictures. The roofer took one look and said a structural engineer needs to come out. The Hartford fired the roofer. They then sent an adjuster who was shown how the house moved. He went back and reported that we only needed new shingles rom hail damage. He never got on the roof.

We kept sending email after email and they finally agreed to send a structural engineer. Structural Engineer comes out and says it is so dangerous that he would not walk on the roof. This was in August. Then we had to wait for the adjuster to come back out. All he did was measure rooms. Our home is finally going to be repaired beginning the end of January 2020. The pool is a different story. The adjuster told the Hartford that we told him the tree company damaged the pool. After sending email after email, they reach out to the tree company who ended up telling the same story we had told as to how it happened. The Hartford put this in an email to us. I thought we would finally get the claim paid.

They tell us to send an estimate in from a pool company which we did. They came back and said that they would not pay very much due to the age of the pool. We sent proof that the pool had been redone. They then said they wanted us to file a separate claim for it and pay $2000 deductible. We asked why would it be separate since the damage was from the tree that also damaged the house. They just now told us that they determined our pool is damaged from normal wear and tear and they won’t pay anything. This is a horrible insurance company. They doubled our premium for the last two years and that was before we had ever filed a claim. I was in the process of getting quotes to change insurance when the storm occurred. I so wish I would not have waited so long.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Paid part of my claim. Have ignored the last items with no explanation. I've made numerous calls always get voice mail and they will never return a call. Was promised once work was completed that I would revive final payment. Submitted receipts 5 weeks ago.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

After filing a claim last fall and getting their normal run around and partial "coverage" payment. We found a better company with the same coverage for about half the cost and went with them in February. Early March Hartford sends us a cancellation letter. They keep sending bills for payment after they cancelled us. Talked with them about this, we don't show the policy being cancelled. How can a company demand payment after cancelling the policy?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have had my homeowner's and my auto insurance with The Hartford, through AARP, for the last eight years (ever since I turned 55 and joined AARP). No problems, no issues, no claims. Well, my last homeowner's bill got stuck in the wrong pile on my desk and was covered with magazines, coupons, statements, the kind of pile that you rarely look at ... out of sight, out of mind. On Monday, I was on the phone with The Hartford, paying my auto insurance bill and thought hey, where's my home bill (I always pay them at the same time)? Got a human on the line and after a long time answering all sorts of questions about the house, they announced to me that they had cancelled my homeowner's insurance!!! W-h-a-t??!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They said that they had sent a warning letter, that I did not receive! So, as of 14 June, a lousy three days after the end of my apparent warning period, I am without homeowner's insurance.

I've talked to a lot of friends and family about this and no one can believe it. They all suggested I call back and ask for a supervisor, which I did this morning. Nope, the supervisor, refused to reinstate my policy. I am warning you about THE HARTFORD INSURANCE COMPANY. They are a robot-like operation without a bit of heart, sympathy, empathy or the tiniest bit of good-will flexibility. God help you if life gets in the way and you miss a payment ... no matter WHAT the reason! I am warning you! Do not do business with The Hartford ... not ever, ever, ever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: April 7, 2019

This insurance company started me put with low rates but over 2 years have increased the rates with me filing no claims. They also told me they have to a certain amount of insurance for your home. A certain percent. My house is not even worth what they have it or saying I have to insurance it for. My car insurance has also gone up with them. If you are reading this please look into another insurance company because this one is terrible.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Had them for over twenty years. Use to be good. Rates have skyrocketed the past 5 years. They even charge more than what some state laws allow. Horrible customer service. We moved in August, 75 items damaged or lost. They told us for 7 weeks our personal property was covered, sent adjuster to our home. Then when they got the bill said we were not covered. AARP should not be endorsing this company. They do not care about senior consumers.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I had business interruption insurance with The Hartford for several years in a few locations. The 1st time I had a claim they found a fine print basis to deny coverage because they claimed that they found a newspaper article saying that the power outage that shut down my business was caused by flooding of a local river that knocked out a substation. I canceled the policies and have self insured ever since.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

The Hartford canceled my HO policy for a 5/18/18 water damage claim. Notice was dated 8/23/18, which was not sent by either snail mail hard copy or by email. Learned of it by happenstance 9/01/18 when I received email notification that my auto policy premium was due, logged into my online account and only then saw the Cancellation Notice of the HO policy stating coverage ends 10/02/18. SHABBY AND UNDERHANDED! STAY AWAY!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I have my home and 2 cars insured by The Hartford for 4 years now. Perfect payments made on time and no claims. Now, all of a sudden I get a surprise visit by an inspector, no biggie -whatever. 2 weeks later they say the cost to rebuild my house has gone from 600,000 to a million. They are going to raise my rates and if I don't install a fire / burglar alarm with monitoring within 10 days, they will cancel my insurance. Well, the cost of the system initially to install will be around $4000 since I have many windows, and the monitor fee would be around $75 per month. I live in a gated community and never lock my door, with a sprinkler and fire detection system already installed. I called State Farm for a quote and they said the million dollar rebuild was not correct. I'm switching to State Farm on Monday. The Hartford is a predatory company that takes advantage and tries to intimidate their AARP customers. They are bullies.

The Hartford expert review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford is a Fortune 500 insurance and investments company originally founded in 1810. The company provides several types of insurance, including auto insurance and homeowners insurance.

• Tons of options: The Hartford clearly outlines their options for home insurance coverage. These coverage options include things such as the dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability and medical payments.

• Affordability: This insurance company offers ways to make a homeowners insurance policy more affordable. These include auto and home insurance bundles, retiree credits, fire/burglary system credits and policy renewal credits.

• Legacy: The Hartford is one of the United States’ oldest insurance companies, originally founded in 1810.

• Customer service: As a big, multidepartmental company, the fear would be that The Hartford’s customer service process would be slow and bureaucratic.

• Insurance: The Hartford does offer homeowners insurance policies, but it is focused on other coverages as well, such as auto insurance and commercial insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners