The Hartford - Homeowners

The Hartford Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

The Hartford is an insurance company that provides coverage policies for homeowners. As the only insurance provider endorsed by AARP, The Hartford offers discounted plans for AARP members. The company also focuses on community impact with its Human Achievement Program, which encourages volunteerism and education.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

The Hartford Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I had a small water damage claim with AARP Hartford January 2019, the 2nd in my lifetime. Due to paperless billing they were able to double my premium, get paid by our lender and then send us an email letting us know about the new policy with no prior billing. Seems we should have opportunity to accept their new rate before they get paid, right. So we got a small increase this year but after realizing our rate had doubled and our auto policy was skyrocketing we went shopping and got a better auto deal; but found getting a new homeowners policy difficult due to the claim. So Hartford bills our lender another $720 for canceling our auto policy, gets paid without my even knowing it and then sends us the bill 3 days later. Warning do not trust these people.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I've been a loyal AARP member since I became eligible 9 years ago and just went online to get a quote on homeowner's coverage (since they've been highly thought of - except on this site). I've even worked at a contact center for several years associated with AARP health insurance coverage. Despite being furloughed from my current employer due to COVID-19 pandemic I've always timely paid premiums to current carrier of 26+ years (Selective Insurance of South Carolina). My home is paid in full & I try to keep it in good condition - plus I do not file claims at the drop of a hat.

Although I own 2 small dogs - none of mine have EVER had any bite history whatever or been ANY of the breeds associated with biting. My home is less than 1,000 feet from a fire hydrant AND only 2 blocks away from the nearest fire station - if even that. I therefore should be a good risk at least. I put in a quote request and got some nonsense saying they couldn't give me a quote. I suspect it's because I live in Philadelphia. I think I'll keep this in mind next time my AARP membership comes up for renewal....

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The Hartford Ins policy has been in force for about 10 years I have had no problems. The payments are made automatically from my checking account. Yearly I am sent notifications on time and reminded of any changes.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The Hartford acts tone deaf during this 2020 pandemic while raising their rates, increasing our monthly mortgage. You know we're living paycheck to paycheck! We've not made a claim, taxes didn't rise, we've never been late on payment...

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

Have paid a tidy sum for homeowner's insurance for 15 years. Roofer told me I had hail damage so I called Hartford. They sent their guy out to look at it. He turned in that my metal turbines had hail damage and my metal gutters had hail damage but said my shingles had no hail damage. How does that make sense?

Original review: March 3, 2020

Yes I have a bad storm four yrs ago and just getting 3000 more doll after four yrs. It started with first check of 43 doll and I ask for new adjuster and they sent me two Comp men out and after they left there was over 36000 doll in damage not including my shed. They sent 5000. Barely enough to put roof back on and said they would pay rest after I had it fixed and sent them receipt so I fix it. It took a while since they wouldn’t give any money to do if had to do it out of pocket and when I sent the receipt in they want to have a readjustment done and the lady that came out sent in I’m not sure what because they refused to let me have a copy to see if it was all add that had been fixed and sent last check of 3000. This is four yrs in getting this done. That 8000 out off 56000.

I sent emails and told them that this isn’t right. I had cost replacement and I had spent 30000 to fix my home and that I was hiring a private adjuster and I did. He wrote up over 56000 and they said they would look at it if I had one come out. I did and they said case is closed and that if that is not right when I had it fixed cheaper than their on Comp adjuster had wrote up but refused to pay me any more money after receipt was sent and refused to look at my private adjuster sheet. Is this right to do a 83yr old lady on storm damage? I wouldn’t buy insurance from this Comp at all and I write comp headquarters and had no response.

This is not right to do a customer in anybody’s eyes and I don’t know what to do. You would think that their on Comp people right at up they would honor it but they don’t and this need to be put where everybody can read this including The Hartford. They advertise how they are for the AARP and they're not at all. This is a shame that consumers get this done and no one to help them change it. Their word overrides everything else. This is not the way you do your customers in USA and I hope this will make people aware of this Comp policies. They need changed. Thank you. D ** of Telephone Texas.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We had a very large oak tree fall on our house in July. In the process of it falling, some of the top branches also fell onto our pool deck and caused damage to the pool. The pool has been green since this happened due to not being able to run the pump. The tree actually moved the center of the house separating the rafters. They first send a roofer even though they were told and sent pictures. The roofer took one look and said a structural engineer needs to come out. The Hartford fired the roofer. They then sent an adjuster who was shown how the house moved. He went back and reported that we only needed new shingles rom hail damage. He never got on the roof.

We kept sending email after email and they finally agreed to send a structural engineer. Structural Engineer comes out and says it is so dangerous that he would not walk on the roof. This was in August. Then we had to wait for the adjuster to come back out. All he did was measure rooms. Our home is finally going to be repaired beginning the end of January 2020. The pool is a different story. The adjuster told the Hartford that we told him the tree company damaged the pool. After sending email after email, they reach out to the tree company who ended up telling the same story we had told as to how it happened. The Hartford put this in an email to us. I thought we would finally get the claim paid.

They tell us to send an estimate in from a pool company which we did. They came back and said that they would not pay very much due to the age of the pool. We sent proof that the pool had been redone. They then said they wanted us to file a separate claim for it and pay $2000 deductible. We asked why would it be separate since the damage was from the tree that also damaged the house. They just now told us that they determined our pool is damaged from normal wear and tear and they won’t pay anything. This is a horrible insurance company. They doubled our premium for the last two years and that was before we had ever filed a claim. I was in the process of getting quotes to change insurance when the storm occurred. I so wish I would not have waited so long.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Paid part of my claim. Have ignored the last items with no explanation. I've made numerous calls always get voice mail and they will never return a call. Was promised once work was completed that I would revive final payment. Submitted receipts 5 weeks ago.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

After filing a claim last fall and getting their normal run around and partial "coverage" payment. We found a better company with the same coverage for about half the cost and went with them in February. Early March Hartford sends us a cancellation letter. They keep sending bills for payment after they cancelled us. Talked with them about this, we don't show the policy being cancelled. How can a company demand payment after cancelling the policy?

Original review: June 19, 2019

I have had my homeowner's and my auto insurance with The Hartford, through AARP, for the last eight years (ever since I turned 55 and joined AARP). No problems, no issues, no claims. Well, my last homeowner's bill got stuck in the wrong pile on my desk and was covered with magazines, coupons, statements, the kind of pile that you rarely look at ... out of sight, out of mind. On Monday, I was on the phone with The Hartford, paying my auto insurance bill and thought hey, where's my home bill (I always pay them at the same time)? Got a human on the line and after a long time answering all sorts of questions about the house, they announced to me that they had cancelled my homeowner's insurance!!! W-h-a-t??!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They said that they had sent a warning letter, that I did not receive! So, as of 14 June, a lousy three days after the end of my apparent warning period, I am without homeowner's insurance.

I've talked to a lot of friends and family about this and no one can believe it. They all suggested I call back and ask for a supervisor, which I did this morning. Nope, the supervisor, refused to reinstate my policy. I am warning you about THE HARTFORD INSURANCE COMPANY. They are a robot-like operation without a bit of heart, sympathy, empathy or the tiniest bit of good-will flexibility. God help you if life gets in the way and you miss a payment ... no matter WHAT the reason! I am warning you! Do not do business with The Hartford ... not ever, ever, ever!

The Hartford author review by Matthew Brodsky

The Hartford sells renters and condo insurance, and it has an A+ rating from AM Best. It also partners with AARP to offer members homeowners insurance. Customers can view their policy, pay bills and track claims through its mobile app.

• Cost: Policies from The Hartford cost an average of $1,200 a year.

• Plans and coverage: Standard homeowners insurance covers dwellings, other structures, personal property, personal liability, medical payments and loss of use. Endorsements include full replacement cost, identity fraud coverage and earthquake coverage.

• Discounts: Common discounts include discounts for no claims, new homes, home protection devices and policy bundling.

• Availability: The Hartford is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii or North Carolina.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor