The Hartford - Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We had an issue with a leak behind a wall in 2014. The entire wall was taken down and replaced, down to the wiring and hoses to the fridge. We had no issues with the claim then, they were pretty decent. Then, we found out the mold had regrown and were told it could be attached to the first claim and then I would only have the remainder of the $5000 limit or if they decided it was new then we would have the entire $5000 less the deductible. Well, when they saw the damage wasn't as extensive they decided it would be best to make it a new claim so they can charge off the deductible again and give me $91 even though there is no current leak and SERVPRO called it "dry mold". I have called, emailed, called, emailed asking for an explanation as to how they decided to say it was a "new instance". Why no reply? I would guess because the only reason they had for making it a new claim was to not pay me.

They also raised my premium to almost double this year and never notified me. Suddenly I had $32 added to my mortgage which turned out to be the amount of the increase. I was willing to go along with it but now they don't want to pay me. They have got to go. And I am planning on writing to AARP because it is sullying their good name.

I submitted a homeowner's claim to the Hartford on 6/10/16. Today is 10/2/16 and I just received an estimate last week, almost 4 months since the start of the claim but not yet in writing, a task that would take about another 10 days. A leak was discovered right outside of our Master Bedroom and Bath due to a faulty sprinkler head. Apparently, the mold that grew was because of the leak. The adjuster for this claim was changed 3 times, from one adjuster to another and another.

On a Friday evening at 5 PM we received a call from the 1st Hartford adjuster telling us to grab some clothing and get out of the house. No explanation, just "get out". Thus began a 4 month escapade like none we've ever experienced before. We lived at the Woodland Hills Hilton for 4 weeks, my wife who is undergoing chemo treatments for her 6th recurrence of Ovarian Cancer and me in the same room. Very inconvenient living in one room when one of the residents is so sick. It makes for a living hell. I informed the Hartford of the inconvenience but they were completely unmoved. It seemed to us, to mean, "don't ask questions, just stay where we put you and we'll do what we need to do at our speed and convenience. Your problems are your problems and don't bother us with them. Your claim will be handled as we see fit".

After 4 weeks at the Hilton, they put us in a very nice apartment for the remainder of the time. After waiting 4 months to find out what we needed to do and how much it would cost us, they left us 3 weeks to mitigate the damage. I am 78 years old and am no match for the young trained adjusters that raked us over the coals. They ignored most of my phone calls and most of my emails. Trying to get information about the claim and the progress being made with the claim were next to sheer folly. Emails and phone calls were ignored on multiple occasions. We felt entirely alone with no support and felt completely abandoned by the Hartford... We just wanted to go back home, nothing more. The cost for the repair of the damage came to almost $35,000. The payment from Hartford was for a little less than $15,000. All the rest came out of our pockets.

When I called them after realizing that 3 weeks wasn't enough time to get all this work done, they told us that was our problem. We asked for 10 more days at the apartment before the house would be ready to be occupied and they just said "No". No amount of pleading could change their mind. They claimed that the repair would take 2 weeks, leaving us one week to move back home. The rudeness and disrespect shown by the adjusters was a shock. I have never done business with a customer service department that ignored phone calls and emails as regularly as the Hartford. Their behavior was despicable as was their attitudes.

I have been a Hartford policy holder, both Homeowner's and Automobile, for more than 25 years. If you learn anything from this review it should be, do not trust the Hartford to have your back because when the chips are down, they don't have your "back". The only backs they are interested in covering are their own. They let you sway in the wind while they're smiling for ripping off another Senior Citizen. In addition, the phone call that caused us to leave the house on a Friday evening with no warning, we were told that we would be paid $80 per day for food. Of course, they denied telling me that was so. When they called to tell us to get out, I put the phone on speaker and those people present in my home heard those words as well.

I am so disappointed with their lack of urgency to get this problem mitigated that I would like to take the bastards to court. If I had the energy and/or if my wife wasn't so sick, the ending of this story would be different but for the reasons stated above, we just don't have the resources nor the strength to pursue a law suit.

I had the Hartford Homeowner Insurance for 5 years. I had one claim for water damage resulting from a broken shower faucet. Hartford increase my premium from $1,450. to $2,500. AND did not notify me of the increase. I became aware of the HIGH increase when my mortgage company notified me that my monthly mortgage payment was being increase to cover the shortage in my escrow account. I called the Hartford thinking there must be an error and was told by all three levels of management "Yep, that's the way it is!" I shopped around and found the SAME coverage with Travelers Insurance for $1,030 a year!!! I called Hartford, cancelled my policy and THANKED them for motivating me to find the SAME coverage for LESS than what I was paying Hartford BEFORE the massive Insurance premium increase!!!

Home fire Dec 2015. Home to date, August 2016 - ZERO resolution. Consistently, the rudest, most dismissive customer service ever experienced. No matter how good your records are and what proof you have... you the customer, are not who Hartford is concerned with helping. Full replacement value on my home. In brief, from loss to July 1, we sat in our damaged home, in unhealthy conditions (finally determined by an environmental hygienist in August 2016 at my insistence to have home evaluated) unable to use heat or a/c from date of loss until I called and insisted they find & provide us housing elsewhere. IT WAS NEVER OFFERED until I mentioned retaining an atty.

Our claims person flat out lied and fabricated a start date for our rebuild without ever contacting our chosen contractor to advise he won bid so he booked other jobs subsequently pushing our rebuild out an additional 6 weeks. This caused us to exhaust our $33,000 housing allowance before work has even started!!! That's the brief description of part of the disaster. The point being that even when their own employees lie and cause the paying customer to lose housing... they take zero ownership, admit zero fault!!! We are now living in our filthy, smoke damaged home in the middle of summer (high 90s to low 100s) with no a/c. My mother has severe asthma and our other family member had to undergo a partial foot amputation during this fiasco and is now living in the home post surgery, within an environment potentially loaded with debris and unhealthful particles from the fire many months ago.

Hartford never sent any service to clean our home, our air ducts, or to make certain environment was safe for us. They did an asbestos test... that was it!!! We still sit in our hope awaiting resolution which at this point looks like a legal turn for us. DO NOT insure your home through The Hartford. The only thing consistent with this company is that they train their people to keep the client in the corner by being rude, dismissive, and pushy. They are trained to steam roll their customers and they do so with surgical precision. There are other big issues to note but those are being considered legally so I am not mentioning. One star rating only because that is the least you can give. They deserve ZERO.

I wish I did not have to give the Hartford a star at all. We recently moved to Rosharon Texas for a job that my husband took on. We were forced into taking a Craigslist.org house because the business was too lazy to help us find a much better home. They needed him to start ASAP so they helped dump the Uhaul so we could return that the same day we got the house. Anyway, the house was totally redone on the inside so there was no real concern that there was a problem.

Well we were sorely wrong about that, my husband became sick about a month of living in this home. Then our animals started getting ill, and then I became ill as well. Never mind the business my husband went to work for decided that they would not help us after we found out what the problem was. We had a large amount of black mold growing everywhere in this home. It was under the beautiful remodel. So since his business would not help we turned to our insurance company... you know the one we had been paying premiums for. And best of all they had a clause in the policy to cover mold!!! YAY right? No we had to find a broken pipe in a wall that had been remodeled?

They had a leak company to come find the leak with their equipment... yay. They spend their time sitting outside holding a chicken and playing with a hose. Now here is some brilliance!!! While the adjuster is sitting in an air conditioned office in Arizona he has sent in people who could not find their way out of a wet paper bag! So I listen to this adjuster twice and I stayed calm and after these guys were at the house I let him know what a complete moron he is. We begged this guy to find a way to help us because he had a clause that would help cover our loss right? No they couldn't find a broken pipe in a house that had been totally remodeled inside. The mold was being created by the environment. We were living in hot and wet.

My husband and I actually had lived closer to the water and never had mold before. We lived in the canals on the water and we never had mold so what the heck where did this come from. We figure it had to be pre-existing and was probably there way before we ever were. We found out after we ended up abandoning everything we owned, became homeless, and ended up literally losing everything, that the Hartford does not like paying out claims. AARP is certainly backing the wrong horse.

My husband started reading all of the feedback and it is clear that the company loves our payments every month but should anything happen they will not pay off. They won't (by the ads I have seen) kick you off the insurance due to having an accident but they don't pay off either. So why bother having that kind of insurance. We got the final bill for our renter's insurance, are you freaking serious? They want the money but they don't want to help us out? Whatever!!! DO NOT BUY HARTFORD INSURANCE. It is a total waste of time and it isn't that cheap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford?

I found their auto rates to be competitive, but they slammed me on home rates in my combined policy. Started out great, but... I would like to know how any insurance company can justify increasing rates on a homeowner's policy by 20% four years in a row. I have filed no claims, or had any losses. In 2013 I paid $654.00. In 2014 I paid $780.00. In 2015 I paid $855.00. And now in 2016 they raised it to 1,104.00. So, it was goodbye to The Hartford. I'd had enough.

I'm getting total ripped off. My premiums have more than double in a 2-year span. With no claims filed!!! Went from 649.00 year 2014/2015 then jumped in year 2015/2016 to 10,033.00. Now jumping from year 2016/2017 to 1,289.65. This is highway robbery! Who is padding their pockets!!! Premiums should never double in a 2-year span with no claims! I will get to the bottom of this. I called my local brand DCI and explained my issue. She said she would call me back. I waited 4 hours and called her back. She promised she would get back to me before the end of the business day. Surprise. She did not. BEWARE. I will not be ripped off.

This company is a scam. I have 92 year old lady stays with me - bathroom floor is gone mushroom growing. Have filed 3 different time and still no help. This is a company stealing money from people who think this a legitimate business. Since you don't help with claims give me my ** money back.

This company is just downright heartless. My father recently passed and his accounts frozen and a payment was missed so the policy was cancelled (It was on auto pay). We called to notify them of his passing and found this out. They refused to reinstate the policy and said she must wait 1 year before she is reconsidered. They have never been late on a payment and how cruel is it to treat a person this way when they are grieving a loss.

We are very happy with our homeowners insurance company. They help us, whether it be a claim, a question on a bill. Or just making sure we have the right coverage for our needs. We have had a couple of claims, and they were so helpful, from beginning to end. We were really distraught one year, we had water in our basement, over a foot high... We lost a lot of personal effects, carpeting, we thought was ruined. The contractor they contacted worked so quickly, they were able to save it. Over the years, we did try to stay with one company, but they did not consider us as loyal. So we dropped them... The Hartford has been there for us, all the way. And has never threatened to drop us.

When I switched to Hartford I got a big drop in cost from my previous company. I think it is worth looking around for a better price. I was able to switch and save $400 the first year alone.

I am very pleased with my homeowners policy that I have through the Hartford, I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. They are very helpful when they are needed.

I'm very happy with our current insurance. We haven't filed a claim in a long time, but last time we did it was fine.

If you have a claim Hartford is a good company. They pay promptly and there is no long time lag. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for insurance.

Happy with correct billings statements. Have never made any claims and so have no experience with how they handle claims or the process. They make it easy to re-enroll every year.

My now 92 year old mother had a flood in her home. The agent started out nice but then stopped returning my calls. Even the supervisors stopped calling. I had to get a lawyer and they won't return his calls either. I feel like they are just waiting for my mother to pass away so they don't have to pay.

No problems with them and they give the most for the price. Their reps are very good and their web site is easy to follow. There are no hidden stuff and the cost is the cheapest on the market. And cannot find anything better and I check all the time.

Rates are very affordable, have more than enough coverage for the rate paid. Have never filed a claim, so can't comment relative to claims service. Overall, very pleased in dealings with company.

Their website is very easy to navigate and you can get their quotes online without any annoying phone calls. Their rates are very competitive with State Farm and Allstate. They also give the multi-policy discount if you want other insurance like auto. Also available through a local representative if you prefer the personal contact.

While I have never had to file a claim, they have been very helpful in making sure I have the right amount of coverage and at a reasonable price. Any time I would call with a question they were always quite able to answer it to my satisfaction. When ever I make any improvements to my home I just call them and let them know and boost the coverage to the limit that I would need.

Hartford insurance has always treated me more than just another customer to them. All of the representatives for the company have taken the time to know you on a more warm and personal level not just another money maker for their company. The local agents all know me and my family and even remember our dogs. Our Hartford rep even took the time to send my son a Birthday and also a Get Well Soon card in the mail and is almost like part of our family.

I can call them when I have a question. They know how to call me back with an answer. Any paperwork I need they do mail out to me right away. I recommend them to all my family members and associates.

I'm a 74 years old widow, and these agents seem to think I'm stupid. Eleven months after reporting leak with mildew and mold, this claim is still not settled. When I complain, Hartford sends me back to the same supervisor who didn't fix the problem the first time.

I feel they have my best interest at heart. I have never had any problems with them from the first day till now. The amount I pay it perfect for my budget. The customer service department is so good. They are friendly, make me feel like they are part of my family and enjoy my phone calls and questions. I have always been able to get in touch with them at any time.

Though expensive, the company is quick to respond and easy to deal with. They have a good telephone reporting system and are quick to respond to claims and requests. Their record keeping when you have multiple policies with them can frequently get confusing as they have misapplied payments on numerous occasions.

I have had a pleasant experience with Hartford, through a hail storm. They were fast, courteous and fair. Then when I asked them to adjust my rates, they did just that, without trying to talk me into more coverage.

No issues, never have filed a claim to have interaction with them so can't really respond as my insurance is paid thru my mortgage. So I have no real interaction with them.

This company provides several options to insure a quality product. The company also seems to use agents that are well informed of the product they represent.

We changed to the Hartford insurance over a year ago because the rates were more affordable and the switch over was easy. We have not had to make a claim thus far so I cannot talk about the ease of making a claim. So far we are pleased with the company.

Homeowners policy was easy to sign up for. It is cost efficient. It covers all of my major concerns. It comes with a discount because I also have auto insurance with the same company.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

The Hartford is a Fortune 500 insurance and investments company originally founded in 1810. The company provides several types of insurance, including auto insurance and homeowners insurance.

• Tons of options: The Hartford clearly outlines their options for home insurance coverage. These coverage options include things such as the dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability and medical payments.
  • Affordability: This insurance company offers ways to make a homeowners insurance policy more affordable. These include auto and home insurance bundles, retiree credits, fire/burglary system credits and policy renewal credits.
  • Legacy: The Hartford is one of the United States’ oldest insurance companies, originally founded in 1810.
  • Customer service: As a big, multidepartmental company, the fear would be that The Hartford’s customer service process would be slow and bureaucratic.
  • Insurance: The Hartford does offer homeowners insurance policies, but it is focused on other coverages as well, such as auto insurance and commercial insurance.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners