2. Homeowners
  3. Home Builders

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.05/5

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking to hire a builder?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Perry Homes Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Perry Homes?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Perry Homes?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

We purchased our home in February 2020 in the Ventana community in Fort Worth, TX. The actual process of building seemed to go pretty smooth. The project managers for our house did keep us informed and also assured us our issues would be resolved if we ever had any. Soon after we moved in Covid hit. Any problems we encountered unfortunately had to be put off for several weeks. Most issues have been addressed. However the two biggest items in our opinion, was not addressed. After several emails we were told someone from “corporate” would come and hear us out.

Our driveway, two months after we moved in, started to crack. Also, the water coming out of our water hose in the front yard has hardly no pressure. The backyard water hose is sufficient but the front yard is terrible. We noticed before we moved in, the person burying the gas line broke our water pipe. My husband was on site when it happened and witnessed it. We advised the Perry Homes project manager that this happened and was assured it was fixed.

When we moved in we realized something was wrong with our water volume. When you turn on our water hose the volume is fine the first one to two seconds, after that the water stream just falls down. It is impossible to water our yard or flowers Or wash our car with the hose because the water won’t even reach out other than right in front of you. There could be a fix to this issue, but Perry Homes refuses to fix it or investigate the problem. We feel the broken pipe was not repaired right, but it’s covered up, and that is the end of it, in their eyes. They have done nothing to try and figure out why it’s happening. There is so much more to this issue, but this complaint would be five pages long.

As far as the driveway, 1/4 of the driveway has a large crack that is also affecting the walkway to our front porch where the ground is sinking and the slab has fallen. Part of the concrete is actually crumbling and they “corporate” are actually trying to say that is a “normal” crack for concrete. The subgrade was not properly prepared or packed, so the slab is sinking. So basically every time someone walks up to our house the first thing you see is this huge crack, which to me, does not look good on the builder, especially since this is a brand new house and it happened two months after we moved in. Obviously Perry Homes is fine getting that reputation.

We really do love our house as far as the design, but we will never build with Perry Homes again. Perry Homes will only fix an obvious error (meaning, they know it’s not right, but....) during the build process, if the homeowner sees it, and pointed it out. Their motto is, if they don’t notice it, don’t worry about. Just cover it up and hope the buyer won’t say anything. That confirms to me they have zero integrity. We spent $475,000 on a brand new house that has a cracked up driveway. Wow!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

My wife and I were looking for our retirement home, since I'm retiring from the Army and wanted to have our retirement home built in Carpenter Hill, Buda, TX. We signed a contract to have a 4 car garage house built. We signed the contract and went to numerous decoration center appointments and home automation appointments. We thought the process was going to be smooth since we knew what we wanted before each appointment. When we got to the home automation appointment, the floor plan was flipped and they were using a different orientation so it was difficult trying to place the locations of what we were wanting to add because it wasn't the way our home was going to be built.

We did our best but we had our doubts after that. When we got to the deco center, they didn't have the exact floor plan we contracted on. So this made it difficult trying to pick selections for a different master bathroom that was on the print out then what was going to be built. Also, we were told that prior to the deco center appointment, we were supposed to pick out exterior colors, brick, and stone with the sales rep. We were not told this before our appointment.

We then met with the construction manager to go over our selections. He also didn't have the exact floor plan and made notes about it so that we could get it the way we contracted it on. Lack of communication between the sales rep, the deco center, and home automation company prevented us from having a clear picture of what the result was going to be and caused confusion between all parties involved.

Then the home building process was going to begin. The lot was prepped for plumbing and then foundation. There were some plumbing pipes that needed to be fixed prior to foundation pour the next day. The plumbing was fixed after I talked to the construction manager and he addressed them with the crew. This did not give me confidence on the home build going forward. I was looking forward to the build process but I had my doubts.

Then the major issue happened after the foundation pour. We find out after the foundation was poured that the driveway was going to be too close to a drainage inlet. This would make our driveway at a diagonal angle by 4 feet! It was way too late to go back and build the house 4 feet to the left to make the driveway straight. We asked for the company to take ownership of their major error.

They presented us with these 3 options:

1. Stay with the house you’re currently under contract. There will be no compensation.
    2. Transfer to another lot we can do everything you want with the straight driveway. He will give you another $3,000 additional off price.

3. Cancel contract and we’ll give you a full refund for all earnest money.

We chose the 3rd and are waiting to have our ernest money returned. On top of this they already leveraged their mistake with having someone else to buy the home as soon as we were clear of it. I have dealt with used car dealerships with more integrity. Please take your business elsewhere and do not deal with this shady company.

Get buying tips about Home Builders and Developers delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Sept. 11, 2020

Perry Homes made me whole by fixing all my concerns and doing more! Thank you for making my first home buying experience worthwhile and helping me feel like the problems that occurred were not at all intentional or for the benefit of Perry Homes. Thank you we are enjoying the new home!

Original review: July 20, 2020

They made me rush on closing the home and the home wasn't even ready when I closed! The outlets werent working, the grass in backyard was dry and dead, the bases had glue that was cracking, the NEW HVAC system wasn't working for 3 weeks! I couldn't move in or enjoy the experience of having 1 month of free rent because the A/c wasn't working on my new home! All they did was repair the A/C but didn't give me a new HVAC system! Im left having to think if I will have to repair or deal with the logistics of repairing this "new" HVAC system! Do not buy from them! Especially at Blanco Vista in San Marcos, TX.

Original review: May 2, 2020

Do not buy from these people! I repeat! We had a once in a lifetime pandemic, and we signed a contract on the last day in February 2020. We tried to complete the process, but we were forced to delay due to travel restrictions. The salespeople were very pushy, and everything was an upcharge. Everything. You want white paint on the ceilings... upcharge. The job that was moving me to the area has been delayed due to Covid-19, with no plans to proceed.

I had to cancel the contract due to this reason, and Perry Homes was no help. A contract is a contract, they said with no compassion. I understand this, but, these are the people you are dealing with. After speaking with the president, he said, "We just go by the contract." This is a once in a lifetime event we are living through and Perry Homes won't refund any of the money.

From a business standpoint, this is very bad, and taking advantage of the situation, and hiding behind terms just to keep the deposit. This was a bad customer experience, and I can only believe it would continue to get worse throughout the process dealing with these people. Maybe long term we turned out to be lucky by not proceeding. I strongly urge you to not deal with these kind of people who don't understand how to treat people during these times. It wouldn't surprise me if they were taking federal funds too. I will never buy a Perry Home, and the tone of the president was condescending and arrogant. Buy at your extreme risk. Bad experience for sure!

Original review: April 29, 2020

We have searched for home for relatives. We have had couple opportunities to purchase a Perry home, but we experienced bad attitude of sale man Lar.Ver who not tried to help us and seemed to be a racist's attitude (he did not call...mostly we called him...for anything related to the sale of homes). We felt we were not welcome to Perry Homes. We don't think we need to buy perry home anymore.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Most of my experience with Perry Homes has been good. However, within a month after moving in, we found that the 2 very large pine trees left in the backyard were either dead or dying and causing a hazard from large limbs falling off or the possibility of storms topping them onto either my own home or neighbors homes. Other homes in the area have the same problem. Perry Homes does not warranty these trees nor do they take ownership that their own build process should identify these issues and take care of it prior to selling. It appears to be a case of buyer beware. They do not have a complaint department they will tell me about where I can escalate the problem.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

We bought the home on the 24 May 2019 through the Veteran Affairs Loan opportunity provided and both my wife and myself are disabled veterans that cannot perform the warranty repairs on our own physically. We have been relying on Perry Homes to complete these repairs and problems for 4 months. On the 6th of May we did the Home Demonstration with the Project Manager and the Building Manager from Perry Homes. We notified them of the back-exterior door needing replaced and fixed during this appointment. They had 2.5 weeks to have the issue resolved before we moved in on the 24th of May. They have been sloppy about the amount of quality that goes into fixing the problems and we have had to tell them exactly what needs to be done to fix the issue.

For instance, an exterior door that leads to the outside is much heavier than an interior door. These doors require a 3” screw in the top hinges to sit the frame to the interior wall so it does not sag or shift later on (still not done BTW). These doors also require insulation to be placed in between the interior wall and door frames to prevent energy loss (still not done either). These are supposed to be energy proficient homes from what was described to us during the demonstration. This is a brand-new 2019 Perry Homes home and the quality of work that has been put forth, lack of follow through, and completion within a timely manner has not been present during the last 4 months of getting the craftsmanship warranty items resolved.

Perry Homes does quick fixes that won’t last later on. They use caulking to fill in cracks in the plaster, fill in their own mistakes outside in the siding so the owner doesn’t notice and they attempt to recreate the trim pieces using putty and caulking for 3/4” gaps between bottom of trims and floors. I understand that this may not be the project manager or building manager's faults but the follow through of saying you will stop by or check on the work needs to be there. If you say you are going to do something, then do it. Don’t go back on what you say you will do during the process. We don’t want quick fixes in our new home, we want the work to be done right and correctly for it being under warranty. I would not recommend Perry Homes to any of the Veterans or Active Duty that we know so that they never have to deal with the disappointment of owning a brand-new construction home or a brand new first home.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Don’t get me wrong. The home is Beautiful! That’s why I went in... I am going to turn 19 but let age not determine accountability. I went in to look at the home because it was something I was looking to move into. Right away a sales rep starts asking me questions and looked baffled on why I was in the model. Asked me to write a review and here I am. It made me very angered because the questions that were being asked were confused that I could actually purchase a home. I told him I was just getting some ideas to move into and got many questions on. “So wait. You’re looking for a home?” And “So, how are you going to pay for the home?” Well sir. Just like everyone else pays for a home. Money...

Original review: July 19, 2019

We had a great experience in buying our new home in Lakes at Creekside (Tomball). We decided to built the home from zero and everybody involved did an outstanding job: Sheri (Sales agent) followed us from the beginning to the end, Jennifer at the design center, Ryan and Pedro (Project managers) during construction and still when little help is needed. Perry honor warranty without trying to find excuses.

Original review: July 1, 2019

We had to find a home quickly and with the help of our salesperson, Sheri **, she found us the perfect home! Everything went very smoothly with closing and with our walkthrough. Very impressed with Perry Homes and would highly recommend them for your home builder.

Perry Homes author review by Joseph Truini

In business since 1967, Perry Homes is one of the largest homebuilders in Texas. It offers customized, affordable homes in the Austin, Houston and San Antonio areas.

• Guide for first-time homebuyers: Perry Homes offers a complete online guide to help first-time buyers understand the building process and weigh their options.

• Hundreds of designs available online: Prospective buyers can browse a wide variety of designs, sizes and styles before ordering their home.

• Online glossary: Before and during the building process, buyers can brush up on technical terms so that they can communicate effectively with builders.

• Live chat online: Buyers can talk with a representative online to ask questions and get help choosing the right home.

• Move-in ready homes: Perry Homes also has existing homes available for immediate occupancy.

• Partnership with Crestmore Mortgage: You can get pre-qualified and apply for a mortgage online at the company’s website.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Perry Homes Company Information