2. Homeowners

Yard-Man

Yard-Man
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.00/5

Yard-Man Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Yard-Man?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2010

Yardman 760-770 lawn tractor that has flawed blade engagement system. There is severe loss of motion resulting in oscillations. PTO snapped and the dealer blames me for the problem. That’s great. Shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2008

I just wanted to respond to all those who apparently believe that Yard-Man rider tractors are no good. I purchased a model 145W834P401 in November 1995. It has provided outstanding service ever since. I have modified Craftsman 41 wide snow blower and scoop for the front of it and use them far beyond their rated capabilities with this tractor. I also use a 48 dozer plow with it. The only thing I have done to the machine is to replace the drive belt once and then last week I replaced the carburetor. My neighbors have gone through a number of tractors since I purchased this one and they have had much trouble with theirs. My next tractor will in fact be a Yard-Man.

Original review: June 1, 2007

I purchased the Yardman MTD 42" Deck Hydrostatic Riding Mower. I have to replace the deck and drive belts four times since I purchased in June 2004. I just took it to the repair shop and paid $235. And after 10 minutes of cutting, the deck belt came off, and went under the blades and was cut in two. I paid $1250 for this riding mower from Walmart and did not get the original manual. Customer Service offers no help to alleviate the problem. There is a need to increase the quality of their products, and make their customer service department more customer friendly. They don't care about the customer.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2006

I bought a new Yardman walk-behind lawn mower from Walmart as a backup for my old mower. Since it was a backup, I did not take it out of the box until two months after I bought it. I carefully read the owner's manual, carefully followed the instructions, put in fresh clean gas into the tank and tried to mow my lawn. It ran very poorly. I stopped mowing after about fifteen minutes and contacted the local service center and explained my problem. They were very sympathetic but said that it was a fuel problem and was not covered by MTD. I had to pay to have the mower repaired and MTD said they will not stand behind their product because "it's a fuel problem". I bought another mower (not made by MTD) and used gas from the same can until it was gone and had no problem. My John Deere runs just fine.

Original review: July 24, 2006

At the beginning of the summer I purchased the MTD Yard Man Self Propelled Lawn Mower at Wal-Mart in Northport. On the third use of the lawn mower the self propelled option no longer worked. Now, the lawn mower will not even stay running long enough to cut the yard.

Original review: July 19, 2006

Bought MTD Yardman Self Propelled Walk behind lawnmower, model#12A569q755. Used once, self propelling mechanism quit working. Returned to store for replacement. Another customer was there returning the same lawnmower, for the same reason, self propelled mechanism quit working. This was her second time to the store for a return on the same lawnmower. I received another new one. Used 3 times and self propelling mechanism quit working again.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2005

I purchased a Yardman MTD 18.5 HP, 46 DECK MODEL13S607H354, SER#1C070H20560 from wal-mart on 05/03/00. I have a little over an acre of lawn that requires mowing through the season. I just discoveed that the axles have worn out the transmission housings to the extent that the right axle is expossed. I can stick my little finger under the axle, the left axle has a 3/16 space under it.

I contacted my local repair shop and he didn't believe my discription of the situation, when I convinced him that what I discribed was correct he said in all his years of doing repair he has never seen this condition. He tells me that the transmission case will need replaced. I have a 42 Murray thst is 12 years old tha is still going strong that is used to mow around a flying field with a little more area, all it need is oil, blades and belts. why did't the yardman last longer?? Do you stand behind it or far away.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2004

Sorry, but I can't find your or any other troubleshooting sections, and I need help... Grass is shooting out of the left side of the deck while cutting and it leaves a trail about three inches wide??? (The blades are about four weeks old & nothing is plugged up. Both blades are working.) Just started doing this three days ago. Can't afford to take it to a repair shop and it's driving me nuts... Please if you would, help me out with this problem that I seem to have caught.

Original review: June 19, 2004

I have a Yardman. I have had to constantly replace belts on this mower since summer of 2002 when it was purchased. I had a MTD mower prior to this one and it was a much better machine than the new one. It lasted for 8 years without a problem. This one I paid $1799.00 for and now that it is almost two years old it caught on fire today. It maid a popping noise and burst into flames. It caught the grass on fire as well as a wooden fence. There is nothing left of it but 2 rear tires, the hood, the axle and the cutting deck. Does anyone know who to talk to about that. I'm pretty sure the warranty is out but I feel that something like this should get some attention. It has made that popping noise since it was new, I was told it was nothing. Apparently, it was something. (It's like a backfire)

It was extremely traumatizing, I wasn't in an area that a water hose reached to so I had to run back and forth with buckets of water that didn't put a dent in the fire. After my 4th bucket the gas tank exploded. If we hadn't had considerable rain it would have been a huge disaster.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2003

I own 2 riding mowers (Yardmans). Both of them have transaxle problems and have not been abused - 1 hydro 1-gear drive very poor workmanship - design!

Yard-Man Company Information