3.21/5
Based on 64 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

262 Valspar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I paint furniture, and I thoroughly sand down the piece before painting. I have previously used the Valspar TRADE primer, which has AWFUL coverage. And have also bypassed the trade primer, and have just used the Premium V700 Wood & Metal Eggshell. My furniture takes a MINIMUM of 5-6 full applications, which is VERY time consuming. And yet, I still get a grainy finish with dull/dark scratch marks in between. The finish isn’t flat or smooth, it’s very rough and grain like. I’ve also just tried using Valspar basic tester pots of wall & ceiling paint, and it still comes out with the same texture. I’m slowly giving up on Valspar!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Valspar Reserve paint made me ill for 3 days now? Had to put on 2 coats over med yellow? They should tell you this paint might make you sick. # Days and it still stinks; eyes are red and burn? Best paint?

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I used Valspar decking paint because I have their paint all over my house and outside. So thinking it would look fantastic and it did... for a while. First time I washed it with just soapy water and a brush it started to come off, I applied 3 coats because it was very light colour and got dirty easily. I complained to Valspar as I had spent nearly £300 painting it all, the deck is roughly 35 by 35ft. They sent me vouchers for 5lt of deck paint and told me to sand it all down first. Are they having a laugh? This all started last year and first time I jet washed it this year it was just rolling off as water hit it... Valspar just keep saying sand it down, so can the bright spark who said that tell me, "How the heck you get paint out of grooves???"

I am 60 yr old with back, hip and knee problems and cannot afford for someone to come do it so have been sanding it down with a small power sander because I cannot afford £170 to hire a floor sander. It's going to take months to complete as I also work full time. I am in constant pain trying to do this and have contacted head office at Valspar and guess what? Same as last year. No reply. I am going to give it 1 more time emailing them to try solve this problem. If not I am going to take action. We had the decking for my beautiful amazing grandson who has no garden to play in down home. Logan is severely autistic and disabled, he will never be able to wear shoes and all the scraping in the grooves is hacking my deck to bits. I am using a small scraper but it just keeps catching and now there are hundreds of little splinters all over, how can I let him on it safely.

Now he is going to be stuck in his wheelchair and won't be able to play, we also bought a spa last year so it could help him when he has his operations on his feet. Well it's still in the box and all my furniture and barbi are still under cover. Hope nobody spends £6500 on their deck and first time it's painted find few month later it all goes WRONG.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I did not know about the 2017 smell problem of Valspar paint and I used it to paint a room (April 2018). In a hot week the problem of the bad odour emerged easily. Valspar is not going to refund or do anything and B&Q in UK seem silent on it. Search online on UK newspapers and you can read about this problem. Don't buy this paint. After the work you need to do to prepare the job and do it, the result can only be a disappointment, starting with Valspar paint can only be a risk.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have used the paint bought from B & Q, unknowingly there was an issue regarding the smell, I painted two rooms and began to notice a sour type dough smell, I ignored the smell thinking it was the new carpets we had installed. Having watched the consumer programme Watchdog on BBC1 it became apparent there was an issue regarding the paint, I have spent a lot of time, money and effort painting the rooms and with new carpets, it feels we have not improved the rooms but added a problem with the strong smell emitting. I am going to approach B & Q complaints department and hopefully understand the problem their paint has caused.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Painted property I moved into with Valspar Paint in August 2017. After few days noticed strange smell in the rooms that had been painted with Valspar, fortunately rest was done in Dulux. The ammonia, cat pee smell remained and when I looked into Valspar noticed this was a big issue. Spoke to them and they offered small amount of money to buy sealer and had to buy new paint, not Valspar!! to redecorate.

Now April 2018 notice smell is returning when windows and opened as it is getting warmer. Spoken to Valspar again who would like proof of the purchase of sealer or see the empty tins but again have only offered small amount of cash to buy new Dulux sealer which is expensive and need to pay for redecoration. Have found out there is not standard amount being offered to people some have had to have rooms replastered which Valspar have paid for and new carpets yet the smell still remains in the air. At a loss to know the best solution, just hope it doesn't affect people's health as 2 of the rooms are kids bedrooms. DO NOT USE VALSPAR.

Original review: April 3, 2018

As a decorator I was disappointed when B&Q dropped the brand leader Dulux and swapped it for the little known Valspar mix to order paint. The first issue is the packaging. A Google search for "Valspar paint lids" will show the problem. A flimsy lid which comes off too easily, often in the car in the journey home from the store. In my customer's case she needed to get a second tin. Showing the previous label to the store resulted in a paint completely different being mixed which the store refused to refund. The paint itself is far inferior to Dulux in my opinion.

I know a lot of decorators and none use Valspar. It's very watery so easy to spill from the brush as well as being prone to roller splatter. It's usual for a paint to require two coats however Valspar needs three, or at least it did to properly cover magnolia with creamy white. I used Valspar a month ago. My customer paid extra for the "scrubbable" finish, and it's not wearing well. It hasn't really been wipeable so now my customer needs to pay to have her stairs painted again, this time with the trusty Dulux trade paint.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I like the color varieties that they provide, and the in-store paint samples that help you choose mixed colors for accent walls, etc. I also liked their outdoor paint and stains. They had a Biltmore Estates color theme that was beautiful. I also like that it is durable and goes on well. However, the pricing is higher than other paint brands. Other than that, they seem to really have a good handle on the home paint market. Pretty decent paint brand all in all. Very satisfied with Valspar.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The paint has very good color quality. It is durable, it stays on when wash the walls and goes on smoothly. I probably didn't need to even do 2 coats because it covers so well. I like the paint very much. My only regret is that they (stores) don't offer sales on the paint very often. I tend to buy paint and supplies for one project at a time. But my overall experience was a wonderful one. I have recommended this paint to my daughter and her husband as they are beginning to do some home remodel projects.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I selected this brand based on the description of the salesperson and the finish of the paint. This paint met all of my expectations, each and every one of them. I really liked the richness of the color and the fact that it covered up the previous paint color underneath. It has been six years since we painted my bathroom and it has barely chipped. Everything with this brand and the shade and the overall price of what I paid to paint all my rooms was a pleasant experience.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have been seeing the commercials for Valspar for about 4 years. It looked nice on tv but everything looks nice on tv, so I went out and bought some for my bathroom wall and I've never really liked any other brand than Valspar. I really love that it is very colorful and vibrant, it looks like I just painted my walls everyday! I always get great comments on how dense my walls look with the Valspar paint. It's amazing. Overall great paint! I need a endless supply with every different color.

Original review: March 24, 2018

5 gallon bucket of Ultra 4000 ceiling white. Once applied the odor was so bad it cause me to vomit. 24 hours later it still smells just as bad. Windows are open and fans used, but no help. Called fire department to check if it could be dangerous. They suggested to leave the house to avoid the horrendous odor. Valspar representative suggested paint over with 2 coats of a sealer. We are on social security and don’t have the money to pay someone again to repaint. Guess we will just try to live with the odor.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I went to Ace Hardware and bought Valspar Optimum. I hired an experienced painter and as soon as the first coat dried we realized that it did not cover the light yellow of the old paint. My painter was applying Beach Breeze (a teal color) as soon as she started putting on the second coat of the teal color we noticed it was blotchy and what seemed to be a darker color. I had the paint shook at Ace and she had stirred it also. She stirred it again and shook it too. I called Ace and took the paint back and got another brand. I took pictures of the walls and showed them to Ace and also call Valspar and sent them the pictures.

I am extremely disappointed in this paint. I spoke to Valspar and sent them pictures but they have not returned my phone calls. This is very expensive because now the entire bathroom has to be painted again and I have to pay for it!!! Valspar says they will replace paint but not labor! What a crock!!! I may have to get an attorney! I will do that, and it's not just the money for the painter but my bathroom is tied up for another 3 days!!! The inconvenience is also a factor! Don't buy this paint!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I selected Valspar because it was highly recommended by one of the associate at Lowe's and it met my expectation. It had tons of color selection that I liked and that were available. The paint wasn't as strong as other brand when it comes to the actual paint smell. The painter who did my room enjoyed doing the work because the smell of the paint did not bother him. He told me that he will get the same product when he does his next project. I would most likely get this product in the future again, in an event that I may need to have my property repainted again.

In my opinion they could have more possible and available colors for people to choose from and make it more available to other stores as well not just Lowe's or Home Depot. The pricing was just about right and not that expensive at all opposed to what my painter had told me. He said that Valspar is a great product but he wouldn't be able to afford to buy a lot of it so it would also be more interesting if the prices would go down a little bit. Furthermore, I also think that it should have more advertising so that people can be more aware about the product itself. I was also wondering if it is possible to create or come up with new ideas for new containers for paint. The tin aluminum containers are just getting outdated and not desirable to look at.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I had to cover an ugly red wall, and wanted to change it to a light blue. I picked Valspar at a local branch of a well-known hardware/building supply store and it was a good buy. Valspar got the job done. it provided better coverage than I have experienced with several other similar products at a fair price. With only one coat of primer and two coats of paint my project was done. This paint saved me both time and money, without any bleed through from the existing paint. It is a quality product. I have family members with very strong sense of smell. Even shortly after the paint was applied they were able to be in the room with me without discomfort. But I wish that Valspar could be a little cheaper and a little bit thicker. And I don't know if it comes in a primer and paint mix. But if it does it was not available on the shelf at the retailer I got it from.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I selected this brand because it was recommended to me by the associates at the store. I like that it covered a lot with just one coat and I didn't have to keep going over spots again and again. It also didn't have a bad smell and didn't offend my family as I was painting. I had a great experience with it and would purchase Valspar again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have used Valspar Trade paint throughout my property. What I have noticed that the paint has been chipping off in areas where you need to be standing on a ladder. I would go as far as saying it is wipeable as it leaves a stain mark where you have used damp cloth. I am now having to spend £3500 to repaint the entire property. Stick what you know. Dulux Trade.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Valspar paint did a fairly good job. It covered really well and had a nice fragrance. They added lavender or something like that at the store where we bought it. We painted paneling and was surprised that it only took one coat. But when the paint job was fairly new, if you nicked it with something, it would peel off fairly easily. I found myself doing a lot of touch up because of this. We just had to be careful around it for the first month or so, but I was fairly satisfied with the effect. If we buy this brand again, we know not to get too close to it for a while.

Original review: March 20, 2018

A friend used Valspar on the house he was remodeling. 85% of the paint I liked better than Behr paint and 15% of the paint did not look good when put on wall. I like that the paint is a good brand for interior or exterior. I liked the colors of the paint and there are a lot of good colors. But the color mix can be different to make it smooth looking. The paint went on weird and I did not like the way the paint went on to the wall. Valspar was priced in the middle of the road but I like to see the price $2 cheaper.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I selected this at the suggestion of my daughter, who told me this was a really good brand. It was also on sale when I needed to purchase it so that was a plus. I like that this paint goes on even and smooth. It is stain blocking and washable. It easily wipes clean. It also has a lifetime warranty. My overall experience with Valspar paint has been very good. It really is a great paint and I will buy again.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After talking with the representative at Home Depot, we determined it was the best quality paint for the money. I was impressed that high quality paint was available at a price that wouldn't break the bank for us. Also, I was very impressed with the one-coat coverage of the paint. The color dried exactly as it was shown on the samples we chose it from. It met and exceeded all of our expectations. I would purchase this brand again next time I have an interior paint project.

Original review: March 17, 2018 Valspar has paints that are safe to use in living environments. This is good to know that they don’t damage your health. Great for people with health issues.

We love our choice. It was easy to apply and safer than some others. We could ask for cheaper but it was good. It has great color and was everything we hoped it would be. We receive compliments all the time. We will use this again and recommend it. We love it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Valspar has the best color assortment - especially when I'm looking for something different. It's a premium brand without the huge price tag that some other premium brands have. I liked the paint and I got what I expected. It went on smooth and looked like the color I wanted. It only took a primer and one coat to look really nice. I chose the brand because it was one of two that were available and the other one had provided a bad experience in the past. However, I would like to have a variety of sizes available, including some touch-up options such as small tubes or pens. I realize it might be difficult with all the colors available, but it would make me consider the brand more often.

Original review: March 15, 2018

My husband and I researched brands of paint before painting the outside of our house. We wanted a paint that would last and according to our research, Valspar is the paint for us. The paint went on well and covers a lot of area. It lasts long and is known for being tough in all weather conditions. The weather changes all the time in Florida, but Valspar stands up to every weather pattern. The colors are great. But it would be nice if Valspar would offer some type of guarantee on their paint. Sales would be nice too. Also I would love it if the paint would cost a little less as it is pretty expensive. However, I love the quality and reputation that Valspar has.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Valspar contained primer, so it covered the painting surface easily with one application. The dealer had no trouble matching the color of the paint to exactly what I needed. The paint is also very easy to clean and I was able to receive a rebate per each gallon, so it lowered the overall price. The brand exceeded my expectations. But the price per gallon being lowered would make this specific product more appealing and attractive.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Paint came a beautiful color and was easy to put on and distributed evenly. Indoor non-chip no fade. Needed 1 coat and a few touch ups and I was really impressed. I like that it was a thicker type of paint. Easy to store and it doesn't dry out. A decent price too. Able to buy in many stores and choose from many different color. Overall a good paint. Unfortunately all paint fades in time. Hopefully to buy more in years to come and transitioning my whole house in a good budget. Maybe more discount on it. I would buy this paint again and recommend it to many. Even can find coupons and on sale at many hardware stores.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I liked that Valspar paint and primer was all in one. I also liked that I could choose the color and have it made in front of me. I liked the one coat coverage and the satin finish the best. It was very easy to use and clean up was not too bad. I was completely satisfied with Valspar and will be using it again when I choose to paint another room. Would highly recommend this to anyone looking to paint a room in one coat.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I bought Valspar because I liked the June color of the month called Snow in June. It's sort of mauvy pink, very soothing and warm, which I like and it was on sale that week from Ace Hardware. It goes on smooth and I only needed one coat to finish the wall. The finished results look like a professional did it. It's the best investment and it brightened up my dining room. I would recommend this paint to anyone who wants a clear finish and have already advised a few friends that are planning a paint job.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My experience with Valspar has been excellent. I purchased it because it was the cheapest brand. I do not have a lot of money to spend on home improvements, therefore, I often look for an acceptable inexpensive brand. But I wish Valspar was sold in stores such as Walmart.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased two gallons of Valspar semi-gloss Aspire paint and primer - exclusive ever*luxe - low odor, zero voc. I ended up in the ER with breathing problems, chest pressure and headache. Had an EKG to rule out heart issues, x-rays, breathing treatment and missed work. I can't sleep in my bedroom for the smell of chemical. Right now with inhalers, **. No one knows how to get smell out, except take out all of my walls out my bathroom and replace sheetrock and start over. That is not in my budget!!! The paint container clearly states to low-odor which I asked consultant over and over low-odor for me and my special need son. He was truthful, but the product's label is NOT!!!

Valspar Company Information

www.valsparpaint.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business