Valspar

Compare Home Supplies and Tools

Research top Home Supplies and Tools recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Bought a silver/grey Valspar paint. It was mixed, looked good in the false light of "B and Q", got it home, started to paint my walls after tea (heading into false light territory) it looked pale lilac. Not to be discouraged in the false light I continued to brush it on, or should I say stretch it on. It was the worst paint I have ever used. I been painting and decorating for 30 years and I've used the cheapest value range paint and never been as disappointed as I am with this tub of rubbish. You have to spread it. Don't go over what you already painted as it comes right back off, and it skins quicker than rice pudding in the oven at 38 for 5 liters.

I was definitely ripped. Pls everyone stick to shop's own brand. It's nicer, cheaper, easier to apply and goes further. Normally I do a 2.5 liter tin of colors everywhere in my front room. I've used 5 liters of Valspar and it's still patchy. What a waste of my time and money. I would of got better results with sterilized milk, corn flour and food coloring. Buyer please be warned. It's crap.

I have been a homeowner for 28 years and call me crazy, but I actually enjoy painting my walls. Over the years I have used many different brands of paints and have used Valspar in the past with good results. I am a picky painter as I like for my walls to be smooth and detest roller marks! After two recent experiences with Valspar, I will never use this brand again!

The first round, I used the most expensive Valspar which is touted to be the "primo" one coat, easy peasy paint! It is the absolute worst! The paint is thick, sticky and doesn't level well on the wall. I even changed rollers after a few passes thinking I had too much of a nap on the roller, even though it said for smooth walls and satin paint. I was painting a small bathroom, so I went ahead and finished the job as we have deadlines to meet with plumbers and granite installers and you know how it is, when you're already home with your paint color that you've taken forever to choose, your favorite angled brush and a good roller... you're ready to paint!

Several times I almost gave up. It's just a sticky mess and after just a few minutes of painting it started to leave little gritty particles on the wall. It was like the paint was drying between the bristles of my trim brush and in the roller tray and then leaving the particles on the wall. It just does not leave a desirable smooth finish. Now I regret that I didn't stop because I feel that my walls would have to be sanded to get them back as smooth as they were prior to painting! And, on top of that, my brush was ruined after using it for only a couple of hours and never letting it dry out. When I tried to wash it out, it was like trying to remove oil paint, but it's latex! And, I literally had to scrape it out of the tray. I went back to Lowe's where I purchased the paint and I must say our local store has great paint people! I took my ruined brush in and explained to them what had happened.

They were very apologetic, even gave me a new brush and a complimentary gallon of the mid grade Valspar paint which I was told would be much better and that they had received some complaints on the higher grade paint about its thickness. So, I went home very optimistic about painting the adjoining hallway with my free brush and paint. Unfortunately after about three passes with the roller, I realized I was in for it again! The same problems as mentioned above only the paint wasn't as sticky and seemed to level out better with multiple roller passes. However, I was painting in evening lighting and this morning when I looked down the hallway, I was sad to see that the paint did not "lay down" well and is actually even rough to the touch in some places. So, my solution is this... I will be heading down to my Benjamin Moore in a few minutes to purchase a couple of gallons of their paint which I have never been disappointed with!

It's too late to do anything with the bathroom as the new vanity, wall cabinet and tile are installed. With it being a small room it won't be that noticeable. But, I will be sanding the hallway and repainting it with a quality paint as Valspar apparently no longer has a paint that is even slightly acceptable! Don't buy this paint, you will be very disappointed! I had to rate it 1 star as there wasn't an option to leave a zero, but I would absolutely give it a zero!

Went to buy Dulux paint but was recommended Valspar. What a wasted three days of painting. As the third coat is drying it is puckering up and powdering off. We have to do the whole lot again. Wasted time and money for nothing. DO NOT BUY THIS RUBBISH. Bought from B & Q. My husband is in the building trade and he could not work out what was happening. In all the years of painting we have never had this happen before. Did some research and found out that this product is known for this fault. Stick to Dulux or Crown.

I am a painting contractor with over 25 years under my brush. This is the sorriest bucket of paint I have ever used. Watery, lack of coverage, picture framing, and the most awful smell. Low VOC? I don't think so... It will take your breath. The ammonia is so overpowering. Terrible paint. I don't know how they get away selling this garbage.

Do not be fooled that this is a premium product, we have bought the paint on four occasions and had mixed results on each. On two occasions the paint has been patchy and left a series of discoloured patches across the walls and only after 4 or 5 coats has it finally covered. We have reverted to Dulux and other brands and have never had the problem again. Valspar and B and Q (UK) have been very unhelpful. Best avoided if you need consistency when time and money is at stake. Shop elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

My first time using Valspar reserve with HydroChroma technology (purchased at Lowe's). I've been painting (part time) for over thirty years and this is easily the most difficult paint I have ever dealt with. It's incredible how bad it is, never seen anything like it. When applying the paint with a 3/8" nap roller, if you overlap the area just painted 20 seconds before the paint lifts right off the surface. You can't get the roller wet enough. The finish is sooo blotchy where the roller has lifted the "skin" off the paint from the previous pass. 3/8" nap and looks like I shot the surface with a texture gun (and screwed it up). Disappointment is a gross understatement.

I am an experienced painter and bought Valspar cabinet paint for a bathroom vanity. A quart cost me $25 and the can said "no brush marks." What a crock! I followed the instructions on the can knowing I had to prep the cabinet by sanding the old finish and used a tack cloth to remove all the debris and used a new high end brush to apply the paint. The instructions stated to apply the paint in thin coats so I assumed that the paint would have a nice flow. It was thick and sticky and really difficult to work with. After 2 coats I abandoned my quality brush and bought a 59 cent foam brush. Two more coats later I finally was able to get a finish that was marginally acceptable but it wasn't what I expected. I am so glad I didn't try this paint on a kitchen because I would have gone postal. Save your money and sanity. There are many less expensive paints on the market that outperform this product.

To start I would not give the Valspar Signature one star but had to select something. I have painted for many years and seldom have I crossed garbage paint like this. The last time I had a similar problem was with Walmart paint back in the early 2000's. Short story: Went to the local Lowe's to buy paint after hearing Valspar signature was the best paint around and covered in one coat, was told it was pricey but worth it. After speaking to the paint pro I bought 30 gallons of paint in different colors. RED, YELLOWS, BLUES, GREENS AND GREY. The walls were primed prior to painting with the top of the line signature. HUGE surprise when the paint was not covering!!!! The yellow took 7 coats, the greens 3, red... I lost count, the blues ranged from 3 to 5 and the grey was the best with only 2 coats.

To add contrast in one room we wanted to add a lite purple and decided to grab Walmart color place paint. Another huge surprise it covered in one coat. Went to wash the walls after just 30 days thanks to little kids and the Valspar paint is coming off the walls!!!! Garbage paint, should have stuck with Behr paint which holds up great. Do yourself a favor and buy Behr paint or color place.

Bought 2 gallons for ceiling, and 3 for walls, even after 3 coats there were blotchy patches. Some areas were blistering and peeling, had to sand down and repaint these areas. Personnel at store recommended this paint, would love to pour this paint over his head, it probably wouldn't stick though.

I was happy with the coverage. I'd painted a 13 x 19 living room, 1 gallon was enough to cover the ceiling. The only thing I didn't like, the paint is thin and splatters a lot!! I won't buy this paint anymore just because of that. I will buy Dutch Boy, it's much thicker and doesn't splatter nearly as much as the Valspar.

Valspar Signature interior has been nothing but a nightmare. 4 coats and I still see my base color... White. The color I purchased was light raffia. Don't waste your money on this garbage. I unfortunately can't afford 35 dollars a gallon to paint a 10×2 patch over and over.

I purchased the Valspar ceiling paint for the ceilings in all the rooms of a 3 bedroom house about 1500 sq. ft. and also a semi gloss latex to paint over the walls which were neutral colored. The walls and ceilings were all washed down with the appropriate chemical as per directions on the box. I then painted and I have to say this is the worst paint I have ever used. The coverage of this paint is very poor, I tried to contact the residential customer service department there was no answer I left a message and after 2 weeks there's still no callback. I will never use Valspar nor would I allow any of my tenants to use it nor recommended it to friends, family, etc... Save yourself a lot of time and money and skip the Valspar products!

Purchased a gallon of Valspar sandstone paint. Salesperson said it goes on like any other paint and advised me that 1 gallon would be more than enough for an 11 by 10 room. After coat 1, it looked like the worse paint job I ever saw. Splotches and didn't cover. I have painted several rooms in my life and never had a problem. 3 gallon at $49 each later and a lot of hard work it took for a less than satisfactory job. I emailed the company to see what they could do for me and no response. Stick to Home Depot BEHR paints! You will be much happier.

We are a professional painting business that just finished using Valspar Pristine Satin and Reserve Eggshell to paint a very large area. 4 coats later, it still looks very bad. We used these paints at the customer's request. Utterly Beige is the color we are applying over a pale yellow and it looks awful. You can see everywhere we cut in, brush strokes are obvious and the sheen is splotchy. Worse yet - the longer the paint dries, the worse it gets! Now, after a week, you can see every drywall seam, ding, dent and previous repair. Even nail hole patches are obvious. Valspar has offered to refund us the purchase of all new Reserve, but I'm nervous... They also want us to sand the walls with 220 grit before painting a 5th coat. I'm thinking I should just cut my losses and switch to what I know works at this point.

Cannot put 2nd coat of spray lacquer without it wrinkling!!! Tried to put primer over it to change product line it crackled. I do not recommend Valspar paint!!! SHERWIN WILLIAMS paint owns Valspar. It is now tank wash!!!

We bought Valspar signature semi-gloss. This says it has primer in it, it's one coat. After three coats rolled on, it still has some blue showing through. After 36 hours when we tried to take the edge tape off, the paint peeled like a bad plastic wrap. It even peeled the old paint and paper off the drywall. The valspar rep refunded us and bought us different paint (signature high-hiding paint and primer.) He also told us the walls had been wiped down with 409, that's why we had a problem. We bought this house from my brother and his wife and they never bought 409 or wiped down the walls! We are still working on getting this bad paint off and we may need to have drywall torn out and reinstalled. I'm not sure how to proceed with this new valspar, but if it gives us problems we may have to go after valspar in court.

I took all the numbers and information off the gallon of paint I had purchased at Lowe's only for the guy to say he had to have the label. I drove thirty miles for this guy to tell me this. Your representative was there and he done nothing. I then had to drive another thirty miles to take the entire can to them. At first he didn't even want to shake the paint that was in the can. I said, "You should shake that so the color matches." So finally he did but he never stirred it before taking the test so the paint did not match the color I was trying to cover therefore I had to repaint every room. Had it been color matched correctly I would not have had to buy 8 gallons of your paint. I will never shop at Lowe's or buy any Valspar paint again. I will go to Sherman Williams. I know nothing will be done about this but wanted to let you know my experience.

Have just struggled to use Valspar primer/undercoat and gloss which are the most appalling products but due to the cost have had to carry on and use them. Wanting to uncharacteristically make a complaint, the company website is unobtainable via Google but, being so incensed I've dug a bit deeper and found that B&Q seem to have some connection with the company. Funnily enough, the B&Q chap recommended this paint. We normally use Dulux - never a problem over 30+ years of decorating - but needed to paint factory-finished acrylic-primed windows and prepared old windows. 4 coats of each paint later and can still see through it. An absolute waste of money and hours of work and it just looks total rubbish. Have contacted B&Q but not hopeful of any contrition.

Used Valspar interior paint on an old cabinet that I sanded back to natural wood. Spent hours and hours doing this only to make the bad decision of using Valspar paint. Four coats later and it's still needs god knows how many more to cover the wood??? Wish I hadn't taken the advise of the hardware assistant and just stuck with my usual Dulux or Taubmans brand. Won't be doing that again!!! Whatever you do don't go with this brand!!!

I've painted many indoor and outdoor projects over the years but my indoor experience using Valspar Reserve paint in my kitchen was the absolute worst paint I ever used. The first problem is one can't roll it but once as the paint lifts off the wall otherwise. That means one swipe of the roller, which causes paint runs which can't be brushed or rolled out. As if that wasn't bad enough the "one coat coverage" was not accurate as two coats were required, and this was painting over a light pale yellow with a variation of white paint. To add insult to this the paint cost was in the $35 range. Stay away from this paint unless you like sanding runs and painting over and over once each coat is completely dry.

Valspar wood and metal paint - Bought the fluffy robe. Did all the prep ready to paint and it's just like water. Rang B and Q. Got told to take it back so they could have a look at it and see what they could do. Basically got told I should of bought the premier one and they can't do anything. I would have to take it up with Valspar. Absolute joke and waste of money. If I had all the time in the world to start writing complaints and answer stupid questions like what sort and make of brush did you use. Bloody toothbrush. Not a happy chappy.

I bought 10 liters of Valspar Trade matte emulsion in brilliant white last December and when my painter opened it last month he found it had separated. After 20 minutes of stirring it still hadn't mixed so he had to buy alternative paint to complete the job. I was astonished to be informed by the manager of B&Q Abbey Centre that after a few months the paint is likely to separate and may well require more than 20 minutes of stirring. He further recommended returning it to a B&Q store so they can put it in the paint shaker and then it would definitely be ok. I've never encountered this problem with other paints and since my nearest B&Q is 20 miles away I don't think I'll be buying Valspar paint again.

I've bought 5 litres of Valspar paint to paint my boat. I gave the boat 4 coats in dry conditions. I was told that the same paint is used to paint shipping containers. First time it rains my whole boat is left with water marks. I've had to sand it all down and now going with a different brand. £74 wasted + my time.

I bought the high-hiding paint + primer and it did not cover my trim work that was the same color, white. I thought it would be a one step process but after paying $36 for a gallon of paint that did not work and left my trim looking awful, I now have to buy more paint to redo the job. I got this paint from Lowe's so I will be sure not to buy this brand again.

We purchased Valspar paint 5 years ago and painted the exterior of our home. Then within a few months it was peeling off three of the porches, especially the floor. (Yes, we used porch floor paint for that!) By then it was in the fall and we could not do anything with the porches due to the weather. Then in the spring we went to speak to a Valspar representative. He told us we needed to scrape the floors, banisters, etc. and use the Valspar primer before we used new paint. So we scraped and primed everything and then used the primer and painted as directed. It is three years later and our house looks horrific. The paint is peeling everywhere and you can clearly see the primer (white) underneath. The paint did not last as the guarantee stated it would. Off to repainting the whole house again.

Consumer Increased Rating!
Both Lowe's and Valspar have exceeded expectations with my paint issue. They contacted me several times in an effort to resolve my complaint and treated me with respect and concern.

I appreciate the fact that they are in the process of determining if the batch of paint I got was defective, yet they refunded me the price of the paint at once along with an apology for my experience.

They even refunded me for the other paint I bought that was not defective,14 gallons of Valspar Reserve paint in all. Any product can be defective, but not all companies would take the measures these two did to make it right. I have been a life-long customer of Lowe's and Valspar and will continue to shop with them.

Thank you, Lowe's and Valspar for your excellent FIVE STAR customer service.

Faye of Warren, OH on

Original Review

I bought top of the line Valspar Reserve ONE coat paint. It was the worst and very expensive. Even with clean prepped walls and their suggested high-end rollers and paint brushes it didn't cover, smelled horrible and looks terrible. I should mention that I was going over a light yellow with their Mushroom Bisque, in the same color family. Something has changed with this paint in the last 2 years because my parents had their home painted with it with great results. One coat covered and there was no odor. I spent several hundred dollars on this paint to cover 1800 sq ft. FIND ANOTHER PAINT!

I've been using Valspar paint for several years now but recently I've noticed that the flat interior has an eggshell finish, and I'm not talking about when it's wet! It's been two days, the temps have been in the 80's and next to no humidity. This paint is dry dry dry and has an eggshell finish on a flat finished wall. I had to double check the can to make sure I wasn't given the wrong paint! SO SO SO disappointed. Went to Home Depot for a cheap cover paint to fix this mess. Thanks Valspar, won't be using you anymore.

We went to Lowe's and purchase paint for our new home bathroom. We bought a semi-gloss Valspar paint and I have to say this paint has been the worst paint I have ever purchased. This paint looks like you have oil paint on the walls and it dries up horrible. My walls in the bathroom looks horrible. Will never ever purchase this Valspar paint again. Stick to Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore paint. I do not recommend this paint. Stay away from this horrible paint.

I had to tell the world about the dreadful quality of Valspar paint - DO NOT buy it! It has taken 6 coats of both primer and paint to get an even coat of paint on 1 feature wall and in gloss on a wardrobe in Pretty Poppy red. We started using the Premium paint then found out about the "even better" Trade paint - both were a complete waste of money. This paint is not fit for sale - consumers are wasting their hard-earned cash on a product which apparently has not been quality inspected.

We purchased the paint for new plaster because we had just renovated our house and had a new ceiling downstairs and all newly plastered walls. We applied the Valspar paint and then applied Dulux colour on top. We have now found if you knock the paint, it peels off and the Valspar paint underneath just washes off. We have now had to remove all the paint back to bare plaster and start again. I therefore would not recommend Valspar paint to anyone. I have complained to them about this and all they have offered is a voucher for 5L of their paint. Why would I want to buy any more of their paint.

Valspar Company Profile