1.07/5

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Quit paying for costly home repairs

Valspar Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

If you were thinking of buying Valspar paint from B&Q, don't. Just don't. If I could give it zero stars, I would. We have spent over £300 on one specific paint (it was a particular colour that we specifically wanted, and we paid for the premium top quality mix) and it is the most awful, shoddy, not fit for purpose paint that we have ever come across. It pitches itself as High Performance, premium quality paint when in reality It doesn't even perform as well as cheap white emulsion, and that makes us very unhappy. We paid extra to have the supposedly durable, Hard-wearing, wipable formula of Valspar paint that is suitable for all types of surfaces and with a soft sheen finish... Well I can tell you that all it's suitable for is flushing down the loo.

Initially, once the paint is on and freshly dried, it looks lovely. But that's a real false sense of security it's giving you. On metal surfaces, that have been fully primed with decent metal surface primer, the Valspar paint lets rust through within weeks of application. If you so much as breathe on a surface you have painted with this paint, it flakes and chips off. If you try and wipe this paint clean, as its claims suggest is possible, you will just wipe the paint straight off the wall. It's an abdominal product and a complete waste of money and time. I only wish we weren't already so committed to the colour as we cannot find a match in any other range and therefore are trapped into finishing up with this or paying out another shed load of cash to redecorate in another colour.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Used Valspar paint 10 years ago. Was thick and covered with one coat, so used it again. 10 years later now and it is crap. They have changed it. Used the top of the line signature paint and prime from a off white to ultra white and it didn't cover. Had to do second coat on interior 1400 sq foot home. Cost me a lot of money. Watered down watery paint. Very upset. Why did they make it so watery and thin. Will never buy again. Will use Sherwin Williams or Behr paint next time. Don't waste your money. Valspar sucks...

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Worst paint I have ever used! Going back to Kelly Moore! Valspar DOES NOT cover in 1 coat as claimed. It is full of plastic bits that get onto the walls and ceilings. It is a bad paint all the way around! TOTAL AND COMPLETE WASTE OF $$$!!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I purchased Valspar Signature High Hiding paint with primer. I was covering a light tan walls with white. I was told because I asked specifically if it covered in one (1) coat, I was assured it did. IT DIDN’T! Don’t waste your money and time on Valspar paints.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Prepped my ceiling, applied sheet rock sealer and primer, applied color changing ceiling paint in white. Ceiling is now white and yellow stripes no less. I am angry, a lot of time and Money wasted. You are better off going to Sherwin Williams. In the long run you spend less time and Money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: July 25, 2019

This is the 2nd time I had purchased Valspar paint from our local hardware store and both times I have had nothing but problems with the paint. The shade color that I gave never matched when it was on the wall and actually was quite different and this time the paint was like water. We shook it. We stirred it. We dump that. We tossed it and something's wrong with it.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Worst paint ever. Waited until a period with no rain in the forecast and temperatures within the range indicated on the can. Painted 10 days ago. Porch floor still sticky to the point that a paper towel accidentally dropped on it stuck and I could hardly get all the paper bits removed when I discovered the paper towel. REVIEW POSTED JULY 16, 2019

Original review: July 9, 2019

Not happy.. I've painted for 50 years and I just finished painting the inside walls and trim of a 1000 square foot house with Valspar Signature paint and primer. I use Purdy expensive brushes and have thrown away 6 $23.00 dollar brushes because the paint builds up in the stock of the brush in about 2 hours and hardens and the brush flares out where it is impossible to use a great angle brush to paint. No more of this paint. It covers great and looks good but who wants to spend $150 dollars for brushes when 1 brush should work and be used on the next job. Especially for such a small job. Very very unhappy.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I’d have preferred no stars, but had to give something. Had several rooms decorated using Valspar, over a period of a few months from around December 2018 to Feb 2019. One room, painted using white cliffs, mixed & brought from B&Q Welwyn Garden City in December 2018, started to develop the cats wee smell a few months ago. Just one room.. It’s worse when I have the back doors open. I have spoken to Valspar who were unhelpful. Again Levy (mentioned before) basically said he was the most senior & there was nothing wrong with the paint. I therefore contacted B&Q, as I brought the paint from them. Equally unhelpful, I have now written to them formally citing the CCA act, they have said I should just go back to Valspar. This was after several bouts of correspondence, they have even blamed me, for not using Valspar primer.

I have never experienced this awful smell previously, despite decorating the same walls, several times over the years, I’m convinced that this particular can is faulty as none of the other rooms smell, despite being painted with different colours of Valspar & all being prepped the same way. I have been offered the cost of a can of paint, however I have refused this, as I believe they should cover the cost of getting rid of the smell caused by their faulty paint. I am continuing to pursue the matter.

Original review: June 16, 2019

This paint was recommended to me by Ace Hardware for an exterior door and door frame. We spent two days sanding and removing the old paint and getting it prepped. Got to work with the new paint, and was shocked to see how thick it was and that it goes on clumpy. I figured it was supposed to be like that to protect exterior wood. It dried terrible, lumps and all the brush strokes. I returned it for the $46 I wasted. Got home and spent two hours re sanding and vacuuming the mess. Total waste of time! Worst product. Called back to Ace to ask the manager to call me Monday, I’d like a gift card or something for the four hours I lost returning, going to Home Depot for Behr paint (went on excellent), sanding and cleaning up. Ace clerk said they are discontinuing Valspar, but were selling the last cans! So they know it’s crap but went ahead and ruined my day by selling it to me. No more Ace for me.

Valspar Company Information