2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Shop on Ace
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.63/5

Valspar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: June 16, 2020

I used this paint, Gloss White, on the Hardie Board exterior siding I have on my home. I first prep'ed the surface by washing the wall with "Tide w/ bleach". I sealed the roofline and side edges with DAP Alex Plus 40 year caulk. Then I painted the wall with Kiltz water base white primer to give the Valspar oil base Enamel paint good adhesion. The Valspar enamel was a little "thick" straight out of the gallon can. I poured about a "pint" of paint out of the gallon can into one of those plastic paint mixing buckets they sell in the paint section.

Added a "splash" of mineral spirits to the pint and mixed it with a 4 in brush I used to apply the enamel paint. The mineral spirits thinned the enamel paint and made it easy to spread good coverage. There was a lot of little drips, no problem as long as you brush them off right away. One coat of paint was all I needed. One gallon covered half of my exterior walls. I now have a beautiful white exterior that looks like it has a clear coat of paint over it. Glows in the moonlight. Repeals moister and rainwater. The can said 7 days for paint to full cure. Slow cure equals longevity. I painted in June in DFW Texas outside Temp was in the 90's.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

We bought 6 gallons of Valspar Signature semi gloss paint from Lowe’s. We pulled down trim, missed, and textured walls. I read these reviews and almost had a heart attack but the reviews couldn't be more off base. We chose Juniper Breeze and it only needed one coat. The kitchen and living area were done in Coconut milk and it barely needed a second coat. My husband is now taking the tape off of the walls and it is beautiful!! I don’t know if the others maybe didn’t prep correctly, or if they didn’t cut the tape before pulling it off (which would pull the paint off). We will continue to use Valspar for the rest of our home.

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

We recently had our bathroom redone and bought Valspar ceiling paint at the recommendation of Lowes Home Improvement Center. Within a few weeks of the contractor sanding the ceiling and applying a primer, and two coats of Valspar paint, the paint was peeling off of the ceiling. Although the product failed, the Product Support Department reimbursed us for the cost of labor as well as the cost of the paint. I am disappointed in their product, but they showed me integrity by paying me back 100%. I deducted one star because it did take over 60 days to get the money after the online claim was filed. In addition, I had to reject their initial offer to reimburse for the paint only. With that said, they made the proper restitution and I give them credit for fixing their problem.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I experienced negative results with this product in the past (Valspar Signature Satin Interior Latex), but thought I'd give it another shot. I applied a compatible primer to molding and small cabinet doors. I applied the primer in the AM and waited 24 hours before painting. It was thoroughly dry. I applied the paint and allowed it to dry overnight before attempting applying a second coat. I noticed the paint was still very tacky after 8 hours in temperatures in the mid to high 80's. This is why I waited until the following day to give it a second coat. Unfortunately, it was still tacky and even tacky the day after that.

The specs say it dries to touch in one hour and dry to recoat in 120 minutes. The product I bought didn't live up to those claims. Not even close! Being a professional in the paint & coatings manufacturing industry for 40 years, I can say this is not typical of latex paints. I had recently used another brand to paint my walls and base boards and should have just stayed with that. I'm kicking myself for wasting money and time. I eventually had to sand off the paint and do it all over with a brand that works.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I purchased a charcoal grey/almost black Valspar Simplicity semi-gloss paint from Lowe’s. I used it to paint wood which had been previously stained and coated with polyurethane. Prior to painting, I thoroughly sanded the piece so the paint would adhere. I used a sponge brush to avoid brush strokes. The paint went on well and the color is exactly what I wanted. The problem is, after 4 days, the paint remains very tacky. It would definitely attract and hold dust and so is unacceptable. I contacted Valspar customer service who said the initial cure requires 5 days and can take up to 45 days to cure. I will give it a few more days then will be asking for a refund. I consider it a waste of $30.

Original review: April 27, 2020

The paint, Valspar Signature, Ultra White did not cover as expected. I could still see the old paint underneath. The worse part was trying to clean up the brush and roller after, I used a good quality brush and roller. I could not get them clean. I had to throw them in the garbage. I will not buy this paint again.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Years ago I used this paint and it did not cover with 4 coats! Then up on cleaning my brushes and tools, many pigments in the paint already dried and will dry in the brush before you even put it on the surface you are trying to paint! These dried up pigments in the brush can not be washed out with water or nothing so you can reuse the brush soon after. The brush has to completely dry, then you have to keep slapping the brush to get them to fall out of the brush you use in the paint. I am doing a small job now that the customer bought this same paint that I had for years because of this reason, stayed away from. Still after many years this product is complete junk! It has cost me so far this job $75 worth of good brushes! Stay away from this product! It should banned from being made and sold!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I really wish I had read the reviews before purchasing this product. I assumed that since it was the primary brand sold by Lowe’s and it had a very high price tag, it should be good stuff. I bought one gallon of the Signature paint to start covering the new walls in our recently renovated basement following flooding this fall. Upon completion of the largest wall, it looked terrible, very blotchy with uneven covering. I went back to the store and shared my disappointment with them. It was suggested that I move up one level to the Sherwin Williams Showcase paint and was given a “deal” since I needed two more gallons. Unfortunately, the results were the same, even with an extra coat of primer. In all my years of painting, I have never had such bad luck. My hope right now is simply that when we have everything back in the room, it won’t be so noticeable. I could not afford and do not have the time to start over. I will not ever use this paint again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I cannot believe how much I hate this finish. Unfortunately, you don’t realize your mistake until it is too late. I applied the first coat, as instructed. 80% of my kitchen, including 14’ vaulted ceilings were covered. The coverage was very poor and I knew right away this was going to take more than 2 coats. I disliked the distribution of the sand texture. It was either very thin, or bunched all up. After that coat dried enough to touch, I was NOT happy. It feels like 60 grit sandpaper! I thought maybe a second coat would even it out and make the texture more tolerable. Nope. Still sandpaper. The thought of sanding all of this off was pretty daunting. So, I used a product requiring troweling over the top. It would not cover it. The grit to this is very substantial.

So, I am now climbing all over my kitchen with a sander attached to a vacuum. It is dangerous and I am furious. I will now need to trowel on two coats of texture, prime, and paint. I will be climbing this ladder and stretching all over 6 or 7 times before I have a nice paint job. Awful. Just AWFUL. It’s more than the overpriced paint. Valspar, you should come hire a professional painter to fix this mess. Shame on you for putting this garbage on the market. Lowes, dump this brand! Where do you think I went for more paint and all that goes with this project? Home Depot. I will not trust your choice of brands again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

This is the worst paint I have ever purchased in the last 40 yrs. I bought semi gloss kitchen paint. It did not cover, it peeled off after one coat a week later. The shade/color on the can did not match the walls. The $35.97 I paid for the gallon was ridiculous!! I would never recommend this to anyone.

Valspar Company Information