2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Shop on Ace
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.46/5

Valspar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I really loved VCalspar paint. Would have given a 5 until they made ALL their paints with primer. I prefer paint without primer and it goes on easier and I used the same amount or less of the paint when I put 2 coats on. The paint with primer is thicker (I expect that) but does NOT go on easier or with less streaks. There is NO WAY that I can get away with 1 coat of paint - even when I would buy the more expensive (one coat only) paint. Primer paint is more expensive, covers less area, and you still need 2 coats on your wall - thus bringing your painting costs significantly up. Valspar is still better than Behr though in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I have always enjoyed painting with Valspar paint as it seems to apply and cover nicely. The paint continues to amaze me at how well it hold up from the kitchen to the closet and even the bathroom. I have used it on cabinets and walls indoors and outdoors. As long as I prep the surface I am painting properly, the paint never fails. Sometimes I need two coats but a lot of times I can go with one. It wears well and washes well. With all kinds of colors to choose from, I have never had a problem finding just the right color for my application.

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I used this paint, Gloss White, on the Hardie Board exterior siding I have on my home. I first prep'ed the surface by washing the wall with "Tide w/ bleach". I sealed the roofline and side edges with DAP Alex Plus 40 year caulk. Then I painted the wall with Kiltz water base white primer to give the Valspar oil base Enamel paint good adhesion. The Valspar enamel was a little "thick" straight out of the gallon can. I poured about a "pint" of paint out of the gallon can into one of those plastic paint mixing buckets they sell in the paint section.

Added a "splash" of mineral spirits to the pint and mixed it with a 4 in brush I used to apply the enamel paint. The mineral spirits thinned the enamel paint and made it easy to spread good coverage. There was a lot of little drips, no problem as long as you brush them off right away. One coat of paint was all I needed. One gallon covered half of my exterior walls. I now have a beautiful white exterior that looks like it has a clear coat of paint over it. Glows in the moonlight. Repeals moister and rainwater. The can said 7 days for paint to full cure. Slow cure equals longevity. I painted in June in DFW Texas outside Temp was in the 90's.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

We bought 6 gallons of Valspar Signature semi gloss paint from Lowe’s. We pulled down trim, missed, and textured walls. I read these reviews and almost had a heart attack but the reviews couldn't be more off base. We chose Juniper Breeze and it only needed one coat. The kitchen and living area were done in Coconut milk and it barely needed a second coat. My husband is now taking the tape off of the walls and it is beautiful!! I don’t know if the others maybe didn’t prep correctly, or if they didn’t cut the tape before pulling it off (which would pull the paint off). We will continue to use Valspar for the rest of our home.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

We recently had our bathroom redone and bought Valspar ceiling paint at the recommendation of Lowes Home Improvement Center. Within a few weeks of the contractor sanding the ceiling and applying a primer, and two coats of Valspar paint, the paint was peeling off of the ceiling. Although the product failed, the Product Support Department reimbursed us for the cost of labor as well as the cost of the paint. I am disappointed in their product, but they showed me integrity by paying me back 100%. I deducted one star because it did take over 60 days to get the money after the online claim was filed. In addition, I had to reject their initial offer to reimburse for the paint only. With that said, they made the proper restitution and I give them credit for fixing their problem.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

My favorite brand is Valspar. I like it because it covers well, usually with one coat unless it’s a bright hard to cover color. In that case it may take two coats. It goes on smoothly without very little dripping. I can get a professional look and do it myself. Indoor and outdoor paints are both top quality with valspar.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I use Valspar paint for my interior paint. I like the primer and paint. That paint gives me good coverage. The different shades gives me the correct color I want. It is durable. Valspar paint is sold at most big box stores so you can find it anywhere. I saw a lot of ads for this paint and decided to try it and I’m glad I did. I love it. I will always buy Valspar paints.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

I have always turned to the Valspar brand for my painting projects. Not only is it durable high-quality paint, it is low emission of harmful chemicals. My local hardware store has, unfortunately, quit carrying Valspar, however, so I may have to try some other brands.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Good one coat coverage, lots of great colors, interior and exterior quality paint. Fair price, less expensive as some of the other quality brands. Available locally. Will purchase again for my next project.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

The colors remain just the same as they did 4 years ago when they were applied! Not too shabby when you consider the paint was applied to mobile home walls without using a base coat first! Now, 2 coats were necessary since I was covering up the "lovely" brown imitation panelling that was used to begin with! Very happy, even still to this day.

Valspar Company Information