2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Valspar Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Years ago I used this paint and it did not cover with 4 coats! Then up on cleaning my brushes and tools, many pigments in the paint already dried and will dry in the brush before you even put it on the surface you are trying to paint! These dried up pigments in the brush can not be washed out with water or nothing so you can reuse the brush soon after. The brush has to completely dry, then you have to keep slapping the brush to get them to fall out of the brush you use in the paint. I am doing a small job now that the customer bought this same paint that I had for years because of this reason, stayed away from. Still after many years this product is complete junk! It has cost me so far this job $75 worth of good brushes! Stay away from this product! It should banned from being made and sold!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I really wish I had read the reviews before purchasing this product. I assumed that since it was the primary brand sold by Lowe’s and it had a very high price tag, it should be good stuff. I bought one gallon of the Signature paint to start covering the new walls in our recently renovated basement following flooding this fall. Upon completion of the largest wall, it looked terrible, very blotchy with uneven covering. I went back to the store and shared my disappointment with them. It was suggested that I move up one level to the Sherwin Williams Showcase paint and was given a “deal” since I needed two more gallons. Unfortunately, the results were the same, even with an extra coat of primer. In all my years of painting, I have never had such bad luck. My hope right now is simply that when we have everything back in the room, it won’t be so noticeable. I could not afford and do not have the time to start over. I will not ever use this paint again.

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I cannot believe how much I hate this finish. Unfortunately, you don’t realize your mistake until it is too late. I applied the first coat, as instructed. 80% of my kitchen, including 14’ vaulted ceilings were covered. The coverage was very poor and I knew right away this was going to take more than 2 coats. I disliked the distribution of the sand texture. It was either very thin, or bunched all up. After that coat dried enough to touch, I was NOT happy. It feels like 60 grit sandpaper! I thought maybe a second coat would even it out and make the texture more tolerable. Nope. Still sandpaper. The thought of sanding all of this off was pretty daunting. So, I used a product requiring troweling over the top. It would not cover it. The grit to this is very substantial.

So, I am now climbing all over my kitchen with a sander attached to a vacuum. It is dangerous and I am furious. I will now need to trowel on two coats of texture, prime, and paint. I will be climbing this ladder and stretching all over 6 or 7 times before I have a nice paint job. Awful. Just AWFUL. It’s more than the overpriced paint. Valspar, you should come hire a professional painter to fix this mess. Shame on you for putting this garbage on the market. Lowes, dump this brand! Where do you think I went for more paint and all that goes with this project? Home Depot. I will not trust your choice of brands again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

This is the worst paint I have ever purchased in the last 40 yrs. I bought semi gloss kitchen paint. It did not cover, it peeled off after one coat a week later. The shade/color on the can did not match the walls. The $35.97 I paid for the gallon was ridiculous!! I would never recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

We recently had our bathroom redone and bought Valspar ceiling paint at the recommendation of Lowes Home Improvement Center. Within a few weeks of the contractor sanding the ceiling and applying a primer, and two coats of Valspar paint, the paint was peeling off of the ceiling. Although the product failed, the Product Support Department reimbursed us for the cost of labor as well as the cost of the paint. I am disappointed in their product, but they showed me integrity by paying me back 100%. I deducted one star because it did take over 60 days to get the money after the online claim was filed. In addition, I had to reject their initial offer to reimburse for the paint only. With that said, they made the proper restitution and I give them credit for fixing their problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I bought the Valspar paint for difficult surfaces to paint a wooden mirror frame. It was expensive paint so I thought it would cover in a couple of coats, but it didn’t. It took 5 coats and still would not cover properly. B&Q should not sell this product as it does not work. I think the product should be removed from sale until it is reviewed and improved. I feel cheated and wish I could start again with an ordinary primer and undercoat. It just scrapes off even if gently sanded.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

If you were thinking of buying Valspar paint from B&Q, don't. Just don't. If I could give it zero stars, I would. We have spent over £300 on one specific paint (it was a particular colour that we specifically wanted, and we paid for the premium top quality mix) and it is the most awful, shoddy, not fit for purpose paint that we have ever come across. It pitches itself as High Performance, premium quality paint when in reality It doesn't even perform as well as cheap white emulsion, and that makes us very unhappy. We paid extra to have the supposedly durable, Hard-wearing, wipable formula of Valspar paint that is suitable for all types of surfaces and with a soft sheen finish... Well I can tell you that all it's suitable for is flushing down the loo.

Initially, once the paint is on and freshly dried, it looks lovely. But that's a real false sense of security it's giving you. On metal surfaces, that have been fully primed with decent metal surface primer, the Valspar paint lets rust through within weeks of application. If you so much as breathe on a surface you have painted with this paint, it flakes and chips off. If you try and wipe this paint clean, as its claims suggest is possible, you will just wipe the paint straight off the wall. It's an abdominal product and a complete waste of money and time. I only wish we weren't already so committed to the colour as we cannot find a match in any other range and therefore are trapped into finishing up with this or paying out another shed load of cash to redecorate in another colour.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Used Valspar paint 10 years ago. Was thick and covered with one coat, so used it again. 10 years later now and it is crap. They have changed it. Used the top of the line signature paint and prime from a off white to ultra white and it didn't cover. Had to do second coat on interior 1400 sq foot home. Cost me a lot of money. Watered down watery paint. Very upset. Why did they make it so watery and thin. Will never buy again. Will use Sherwin Williams or Behr paint next time. Don't waste your money. Valspar sucks...

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Worst paint I have ever used! Going back to Kelly Moore! Valspar DOES NOT cover in 1 coat as claimed. It is full of plastic bits that get onto the walls and ceilings. It is a bad paint all the way around! TOTAL AND COMPLETE WASTE OF $$$!!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I purchased Valspar Signature High Hiding paint with primer. I was covering a light tan walls with white. I was told because I asked specifically if it covered in one (1) coat, I was assured it did. IT DIDN’T! Don’t waste your money and time on Valspar paints.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

Valspar Company Information