1.13/5

293 Valspar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

I just purchased this paint for my daughter's room a week ago. The paint went on the wall much darker than the swatch I picked out. It was supposed to be a light grey, turned out to be a grey, blue, magenta color. UGLY. Then came the worst part. I only painted a portion of the room before I decided to take the paint back to Lowe's for a refund, but the very pungent paint smell was nothing I have experienced before (and I've painted many rooms in my lifetime). It stunk up the entire house! I am going to try the Magnolia Home paint at Ace Hardware.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The paint was thin and covered very poorly, difficult and time-consuming to apply. Dried too quickly at temperature of 65 degrees F, such that peeled off and formed globules when overlapping painting, after less than 5 minutes between brush strokes. Shade of white varies a lot when dry. Even when using Valspar primer. Had to use 4 coats to get anything like a decent finish, even with using Valspar primer. Overall a poor paint and very time-consuming bad experience.

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Purchased and used this paint June 2018, shortly thereafter off and on I began to smell what l thought was a damp mouldy, cat wee kind of smell. The following months seen me visit my doctor on numerous occasions for mainly for headaches and fatigue. I've had countless blood tests, blood pressure checks and even a brain/head MRI scan all coming up with nothing. So fast forward to April 2019 when l am thinking about some more decorating and searching the internet and l come across the stories about Valspar paint and other peoples problems/health. So the question I'm asking does anyone feel they have been made permanently ill? Is anyone still suffering after redecorating? Does anyone even know what the fumes are being given off? i.e what chemical. Also considering they have pretty much admitted liability (by giving refunds?) Has anyone sued? All comments are much appreciated. Email **

Original review: May 5, 2019

Found a colour card the perfect shade to match my wall sample from my living room, went over to the counter to buy a tin, the lady at the counter insisted that I should use Valspar's colour matching instead. When I got home and started to paint the wall it was a completely different colour to what I wanted. Valspar won't refund my money unless I buy another tin of paint the same size but as I had lost faith in the company I only bought tester pots of the colour that I initially picked out in the first place to cover up the wrong colour that they sold me so now they won't give my money back for the first tin and I just feel ripped off!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Approx. 2 seasons ago I painted my new garage floor with your concrete paint. I followed instructions to the letter and even let the concrete cure for almost 4 months before painting it. I etched it twice, rinsed thoroughly, let it dry for three extra days with the overhead heater on. From the first time I drove a car in, it made permanent black stains that have not come up. Then the floor started to peel where the car sits, now it is peeling in other spots. There are large brown stains that won't come up. The only traffic the floor sees is my personal car - there has been no grinding, no heat, no nothing that should affect a decent floor paint. As of yesterday, I have cleaned the floor three times and it looks like-awful. I defy you telling me anything that I did that was wrong. What a disappointment - I will never use any Valspar product again. Wallace **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: April 23, 2019

Painted in 2017. Resulted in urine smell. 1 year of battles and various Valspar employees being obnoxious, obstructive and non-committal and we finally received a pay out for remedial work (Dulux stain block). Applied to the letter and photographic evidence taken. Remedial works have failed. Back to square one and dealing with "Levi", a particularly self important "Claims Manager". Awful staff. Beyond awful company. Substandard product.

Original review: April 23, 2019

After a hot day we opened the door to our girl's bedroom to get a bad smell of cat urine. As per other complainants we blamed one of the cats but could not find any wet areas after clearing the room. Washed the walls in case the cat sprayed there but the whole wall smelled and got worse when the window was opened. Waiting for Valspar customer services to come back with a solution as we have painted the main kitchen wall with Valspar paint but hoping it was a different batch.

Original review: April 18, 2019

This is the worst paint I've ever dealt with. Does not cover good, dries splotchy, some areas shiny, others dull. Three to four coats on each wall and still doesn't dry right. Have never had trouble with painting a room as I did with this paint.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I wanted to paint an oak bar that my husband had built and went into Lowe's to look for paint. They recommended Valspar. Bought the paint and primer and started my project. Priming went well, started to paint, noticed that the paint seemed to smear somewhat, had to roll over several times. First coat dried kind of splotchy, did not surprise me to much as I was using a rich dark red, applied second coat. After drying time, again still noticed parts that were not unified in color, put on third coat. This was hours apart, more than the drying time even recommended on the label for re-coating.

After drying overnight, I saw that I had a small run and tried to lightly sand it down, the paint PEELED off in a rubbery strip! Now I have to figure out to repaint just a strip so it blends in with the rest of the panel. This is the worst paint I have ever used and would highly recommend using a different brand. I am an experienced finisher of wood, both staining and painting with over 25 years experience. I will NEVER use the Valspar brand again for anything!!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

Did all the prep work needed for my bathroom remodel. Hours of sanding, spackling, etc and textured, primed and painted with Valspar. Both Valspar primer and paint. We went to take off the painter's tape and the paint came with. All the paint peeled off like a sheet of plastic. Easier to peel off than paint in the first place. Splotchy in places. Would take paint off when you painted over the 1st coat. Stayed tacky and never fully cured. Absolute nightmare. First and last time ever painting with Valspar.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I purchased Valspar concrete stain 2 years ago. Lasted about 12 mos. (failure no. 1) Wanted to remove and resurface so TRIED to contact their customer service (TOOK 3 ATTEMPTS) and failure number 2, when they finally replied to my inquiry... the idiot suggested a stripper that works on WOOD and to treat AFTER REMOVAL with a product specific to WOOD! After 15 years with a Sherwin-Williams account I QUIT THEM! OVERPRICED AND NOT WORTH MESSING WITH.

Original review: April 5, 2019

This is the first time using Valspar primer paint, Signature brand. Without exception it is the worst paint I have ever used! I5 took 4 coats to cover a sanded TSP washed linen White semigloss paint with Signature Semigloss. It clumps while being applied, leaves deep brush strokes, from foam, pad, fine bristle, even roller applications, sanding between coats with 250 grit, very lightly applied just rubbed off the cost in chunks! I have painted throughout my life, never have had such a poor product.

Similar outcome when using white semigloss on prior painted woodwork. 6 coats required to get a uniform appearance, vs blotchiness with fewer! Not much better on raw wood. Multiple cans if different paint all performed similarly! Seller reports multiple complaints, and advised scraping, sanding off the paint and use separate primer/binder and paint! Not a very support response response to a known failure in this product! You have list a customer!

Original review: April 2, 2019

This junk paint is like water and just drips then it dries so fast you cant feather out the drips. My wood surround that I built for my fireplace needs to be sanded down to fix all the indentations from brush contact and drips. Don't buy Valspar High Gloss Ultra White Paint because you will be doing everything all over again. Save the headaches.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have never even consider looking up reviews of a brand of paint until today - but this paint is terrible! I would give it no stars if I could. It’s thin and watery - even the gloss - it’s as likely to take paint back off as it is to put it on - and if you add more to try to get a covering it drips everywhere. I had to do 3 coats of gloss and spent all day doing it and it’s still patchy and needs another one - and I need to sand off the drips too. I then tried with the matte on the wall and that was just as bad - I’ve never used paint that is so useless- I’m planning on taking it back to B&Q tomorrow to get my money back

Original review: March 17, 2019

I painted 2 large bedrooms with Valspar emulsion to the walls and to the woodwork their so called gloss... It took me 3 days and 4 coats to cover a very neutral colour emulsion on the walls and it was still patchy... Then it peeled in places as did the gloss from the top of one of the doors. All of which had been prepared properly. When I took the paint back to B&Q (including empty tins) I was in no mood to be told that there were no refunds on paint products... sufficed to say that I left the store with a full refund. NEVER AGAIN!!! Be insistent and get your hard earned cash back!

Original review: March 2, 2019

Similar experience as other complainants. Even though it claims to have a primer base, and I was painting over a very light color, it's going to require at least 3 coats. The paint is very thin and watery - why Lowe's and Ace Hardware would sell this stuff is beyond me. I'm going to purchase Behr paint which will cover in one coat and will never shop at Lowe's again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Painted my home last year with Valspar washable paint. Area was prepped correctly, walls took 5 coats of paint! Paint was like water, very poor quality, a year later has faded, patchy and as for being washable!! Forget it. Do not buy this product, absolute waste of £1000.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Like water. 5 coats required! Hands down the most appalling paint I have ever used. Save your money and time and stick to Dulux or Crown. This company is a disgrace! It cost me £80 to paint a box room and it’s still patchy but I refuse to buy a third 5l tin. Total scammers and it’s not fit for purpose.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I purchased Valspar paint as I wanted to match a colour. I wish I had read the reviews first. I painted my kitchen walls and love the colour, but found when hanging a picture tile that the paint came off very easily when the edge of the tile touched the wall. I touched it with my fingernail and the same thing happened. I also bought some to do my living room which I will be taking back to B&Q. I usually use Crown or Dulux and have never had this problem before. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The Valspar Emulsion I had was very watery, did not cover properly. Applied two more coats & both dried very patchy. Asked a professional painter & he said that it is rubbish paint. It took him 7 coats before he got a satisfactory result for a customer. We contacted Valspar & they said, "Complain to B&Q Head Office" which we did & eventually got a full refund. Will stick to Dulux in the future.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Customer pick up the paint from Lowe's. It is the reserve. Also pick up primer. This paint is paint and primer combo. I've been in this business for over 25 years and at times you come across a paint that does not work at all. And this is one of them. Primer was applied to walls that need priming and it went on so thick that it made the texture look like a orange peel, having to do patchwork and sanding and then painting. All patchwork showed. Had to re-sand these walls. Very hard to sand them out to remove the very hard texture that the primer left behind. The paint also does not stick to the walls. Peels off with very little effort. So to say the least this paint sucks. Feel bad for people that get sucked into buying this product. For those who that are thinking of buying this for your home or for a contractor to save money. I say pay the extra for a paint that is known to work for what it's made for and is backed by a guarantee.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I decided to repaint my whole house. I asked the rep on the paint department at Lowe’s what type of paint she recommended and she said the paint + primer by Valspar is a good seller so I bought it. I did just like the directions said. In some of my house I had to prime it first due to covering up wallpaper with Kilz primer which the primer did a amazing job covering it up and the Valspar paint did ok on that part of my house but the rooms I didn’t not prime. Looks HORRIBLE. I even put 2 coats on it. The paint was so watery even after mixed very very well with a mixer. You can’t even tell I just put new paint on my walls. It scuffs up so easy. And bleeds thru HORRIBLY. I am so disappointed and upset. The time and hundreds of dollars I have spent on these 40.00 gal of paint. So disgusted. Don’t recommend this to anyone. Ever...

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

After looking around for a very specific color combination, we found Valspar had an excellent variety of color options and we found the colors we were looking for. Having applied the paint, I am very happy with how well it covered, especially given the patchwork spackle job I had done on the wall and had primed beforehand. There’s no sign of that now, and the colors look rich and vibrant (though I did do two coats, which I typically do with any paint).

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Being a professional painter and having seen the paint "Himalayan Birch" in the Valspar catalogue and picked up the sample card it looked a perfect neutral off-white shade to go with a grey sofa. As B&Q had no sample pots available, I purchased 5 litres of the paint. As I opened the pot it had a bluish tinge to it? Painting this over Jasmine White should have been no problem. As it went onto the wall the room started to look blue.

I have used paints before that you need to cover the walls completely before you can see the true colour. I spent the day doing this. Once fully dried the paint remained a blue colour on the walls and under artificial light looked slightly better. However putting the sample card against the wall it does look very close. I returned the paint but was not offered a refund as the paint put on the card looked similar. However the manager used the paint scanner to sample the paint and guess what... the machine matched it with a blue paint! Therefore unfortunately the Valspar Sample cards are very inaccurate and I will never trust these ever again. Wasted nearly £40. I had to repaint the next day with a good reliable paint. You have been Warned!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This water based paint is not fit for purpose. On opening the tin it has a watery appearance and needs to be stirred very thoroughly and for a long time. Application is difficult as it doesn't blend into itself. I found it was best to apply it thick and quick which doesn't necessarily make it neat and can lead to runs which are impossible to brush out even a little later. It doesn't look as if it has covered well when wet but is better when it dries. But...try putting another coat on top and it starts to bubble up. We ended up washing, yes, washing it off the skirting boards. This is in our en suite with a vinyl floor that get a regular mopping. Had we continued with this paint how durable would the finish have been? We will not be using Valspar again. After reading the reviews I am wary about using the emulsion I've already bought for the walls.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Updated on 11/24/2018: They sent a Sherwin Williams Rep to my home who offered and supplied free Sherwin Williams paint and supplies, recommended priming and re-painting. I could not stay in the room long enough to even prep to prime so after I paid someone to remove my computer and set it up in another room I had to hire someone to prime for me. 2 coats of prime and a week later there is still an odor, although it seems better, I paint as I need that room for Christmas company and wow the odor is back worse than ever. My eyes are red and burning and my throat dries up and coughing. I believe Valspar has a toxic product and they know about it from some of these other reviews and just did not do anything about it. I am beginning to think the only solution is to replace the drywall!! Valspar/Sherwin Williams/Consumer Affairs...is there any help out there against these big companies?

Updated on 10/17/2018: They offer a refund on the paint that is making me sick. This all you have to offer me? What about my health? Burning throat, dried out nose, pounding headache and sick to my stomach? Shouldn't you as a company be doing something about this obvious toxic product you are providing? I started doing research and found I am not alone. Shouldn't this have been removed from the shelves? Or at the minimum had a warning label that this paint could make you ill? Not only my health and my family...this is my office, desk, equipment, computers, printers need to be brought down moved. Sounds like you are suggesting primer and paint...more work, equipment brought back put together and brought operational, not to mention loss of productivity…money.

This was to be a simple paint job and now I am sick every day... I am concerned on what is in this paint... Any help, suggestions? I have painted this whole house using Benjamin Moore paint with no issues. Can you help me, I need to be in my office more than any other room. Batch Number: 2118wc0334. Number of Coats: 1. Who Applied: DIY. Was Previously Coated: Yes.

Original Review: HELP! I painted my office over 2 weeks ago, Lowe’s Valspar interior eggshell finish... Still strong odor and every time I go in there my nose dries out, I get a sore throat, headache and nausea... I have had the window open and 3 fans going. I have painted this whole house in the past with different brand paint and no problems like this. Have any of you dealt with this? Any ideas why? Any solutions?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

From the moment this paint is applied, you can tell straight away how bad this paint really is. I used a good paintbrush to apply this paint on the corners of the wall and ceiling where it came out very watery for a brilliant white matte based paint. I gave it time to dry where the effects of it were worse than when I first applied it. I’ve painted many times before and I don’t know why I even thought I’d give this brand a try. There aren’t many good positive reviews for Valspar and I wish I checked this in the first place. It’s cheap because it won’t give you a good result. Wasted journey and time.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Used Valspar paint in 2017 to paint our living room, hall, porch, stairs and landing. Eventually, we started to experience a strong, cat urine smell in our house and the paint was to blame. Due to the size of the area, quotes to remedy the issue as per Valspar’s directions where high as two coats of stain block would need to be applied to all surface areas. It has taken the best part of a year (putting up with our house smelling disgusting) to settle and receive the funds to put this right. We have not been compensated for the HUGE amount of inconvenience we had experienced to have all rooms redecorated and out of use or the fact we had to live with such a vile odour for so long. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I've also been plagued with the Valspar bad odour problem. It seems to be triggered by exposure to outside air, so on hot days the smell is very strong as windows are open. I'd encourage anyone affected by it to complain as I have just been offered a cash settlement. I contacted B&Q customer support and they forwarded it onto Valspar themselves. You'll need a copy of your receipt so they can find the batch number from the store to see if the batch is affected. Reading someone saying it's still happening in recently decorated rooms however makes me wonder if it's worse than the initially reported "bad batch". I've been offered over £800 for one room's redecoration. Make sure you complain if you are affected!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This paint is HORRIBLE. We purchased our home in September 2017 and paint literally the whole entire home top to bottom. Spent A LOT of money and A CRAZY amount of TIME! First off we had to paint about 3 coats going over off white color same sheen. Walls were properly prepared and time between coats was at least 24hrs. Walls remain tacky. They also chip, peel and scuff HORRIBLY! I don't have kids or pets but I could not imagine it with either. You lean ANYTHING against the walls it peels off. Can not tell you how much I HATE Valspar for the NIGHTMARE experience. Now I will be repainting the whole house again because of this ** paint.

Valspar Company Information