2. Homeowners
  3. Paint Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.54/5

Valspar Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have used Behr and Valspar in the past many times, but it is Valspar I find that holds up better to scuffs and scratches. I painted a bathroom with Behr and it took four coats just to hide the white wall, and even now it's very susceptible to scratches, even though that was their premium line of paint. Valspar I haven't had any issues and I find cover and coverage to be really solid. I always go with the Signature which is paint and primer, and it always takes two coats. Can't speak for their top of the line paint since I only use Signature.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I had a number of furniture painting projects including tables, chairs, dressers and small pieces. Each were different; some prepainted in a different color, some varnished, some raw wood, etc. I didn't want to do a lot of sanding but I wanted the paint to stay on. I chose a gallon of Valspar furniture and cabinet paint in Honey Milk. I have been very happy with the coverage (none was one coat) and texture of the paint. I'm going back for another gallon in another shade of white for further projects to furnish our vacation home.

Get buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I really loved VCalspar paint. Would have given a 5 until they made ALL their paints with primer. I prefer paint without primer and it goes on easier and I used the same amount or less of the paint when I put 2 coats on. The paint with primer is thicker (I expect that) but does NOT go on easier or with less streaks. There is NO WAY that I can get away with 1 coat of paint - even when I would buy the more expensive (one coat only) paint. Primer paint is more expensive, covers less area, and you still need 2 coats on your wall - thus bringing your painting costs significantly up. Valspar is still better than Behr though in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I have always enjoyed painting with Valspar paint as it seems to apply and cover nicely. The paint continues to amaze me at how well it hold up from the kitchen to the closet and even the bathroom. I have used it on cabinets and walls indoors and outdoors. As long as I prep the surface I am painting properly, the paint never fails. Sometimes I need two coats but a lot of times I can go with one. It wears well and washes well. With all kinds of colors to choose from, I have never had a problem finding just the right color for my application.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I used this paint, Gloss White, on the Hardie Board exterior siding I have on my home. I first prep'ed the surface by washing the wall with "Tide w/ bleach". I sealed the roofline and side edges with DAP Alex Plus 40 year caulk. Then I painted the wall with Kiltz water base white primer to give the Valspar oil base Enamel paint good adhesion. The Valspar enamel was a little "thick" straight out of the gallon can. I poured about a "pint" of paint out of the gallon can into one of those plastic paint mixing buckets they sell in the paint section.

Added a "splash" of mineral spirits to the pint and mixed it with a 4 in brush I used to apply the enamel paint. The mineral spirits thinned the enamel paint and made it easy to spread good coverage. There was a lot of little drips, no problem as long as you brush them off right away. One coat of paint was all I needed. One gallon covered half of my exterior walls. I now have a beautiful white exterior that looks like it has a clear coat of paint over it. Glows in the moonlight. Repeals moister and rainwater. The can said 7 days for paint to full cure. Slow cure equals longevity. I painted in June in DFW Texas outside Temp was in the 90's.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I have been a painter for over 40 years, and have used several brands. Recently purchased Valspar at Lowe's. Big mistake- Inferior product at best. Bought 1 gallon semi gloss @ 40 + dollars to paint a bathroom --2 walls @ 8x8. 4 coats and still not covering dark paint that was on the wall!! Gliddon or Sherwin Williams from now on! Never never never Valspar again!!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I bought Valspar premium v700 interior from B&Q. The paint dries to a tacky finish, has already started to flake after 12 hours, and chips easily. The paint 100% is not wipeable. I have tried with a damp cloth and the paint comes straight off. I have good experience of surface preparation and painting; I've painted many different household surfaces/materials successfully with various other brands of paint. This is by far the worst brand of paint I have ever used.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I think that Valspar is one of my number one paint companies in the world. I like it because I don't have to put a lot of primer on my wall for me to get a great painting job. I think that it is really important and it covers a lot of spots that some other Brands won't cover.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

Overall a good covering paint that does the same coverage as more expensive brands. Many coats are not needed to effectively cover....and most of the time one coat nails it. I always try to find this brand 1st!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

The paint covers well. The colors are endless. The price isn’t that bad and check the mismatched paint, a real deal. If you're not satisfied then it’s refundable. It comes flat, semi satin glossy, eggshell, what could be better and it’s sold at all Lowe's.

Valspar Company Information