2.94/5

269 Valspar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They offer a refund on the paint that is making me sick. This all you have to offer me? What about my health? Burning throat, dried out nose, pounding headache and sick to my stomach? Shouldn't you as a company be doing something about this obvious toxic product you are providing? I started doing research and found I am not alone, shouldn't this have been removed from the shelves? Or at the minimum had a warning label that this paint could make you ill? Not only my health and my family... this is my office, desk, equipment, computers, printers need to be brought down moved, sounds like you are suggesting primer and paint... more work, equipment brought back put together and brought operational, not to mention loss of productivity… money... This was to be a simple paint job and now I am sick everyday...

I painted this room over 2 weeks ago and still a strong odor and every time I go on that room my nose dries out, my throat hurts, I get a migraine and very nauseous. I have had the window open and 3 fans going in that room and still getting sick. I am concerned on what is in this paint... and help, suggestions? I have painted this whole house using Benjamin Moore paint with no issues. Can you help me, I need to be in my office more than any other room. Batch Number: 2118wc0334. Number of Coats: 1. Who Applied: DIY. Was Previously Coated: Yes.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

HELP! I painted my office over 2 weeks ago, Lowe’s Valspar interior eggshell finish... Still strong odor and every time I go in there my nose dries out, I get a sore throat, headache and nausea... I have had the window open and 3 fans going. I have painted this whole house in the past with different brand paint and no problems like this. Have any of you dealt with this? Any ideas why? Any solutions?

Get expert buying tips about Paint Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

From the moment this paint is applied, you can tell straight away how bad this paint really is. I used a good paintbrush to apply this paint on the corners of the wall and ceiling where it came out very watery for a brilliant white matte based paint. I gave it time to dry where the effects of it were worse than when I first applied it. I’ve painted many times before and I don’t know why I even thought I’d give this brand a try. There aren’t many good positive reviews for Valspar and I wish I checked this in the first place. It’s cheap because it won’t give you a good result. Wasted journey and time.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Used Valspar paint in 2017 to paint our living room, hall, porch, stairs and landing. Eventually, we started to experience a strong, cat urine smell in our house and the paint was to blame. Due to the size of the area, quotes to remedy the issue as per Valspar’s directions where high as two coats of stain block would need to be applied to all surface areas. It has taken the best part of a year (putting up with our house smelling disgusting) to settle and receive the funds to put this right. We have not been compensated for the HUGE amount of inconvenience we had experienced to have all rooms redecorated and out of use or the fact we had to live with such a vile odour for so long. Avoid like the plague.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I've also been plagued with the Valspar bad odour problem. It seems to be triggered by exposure to outside air, so on hot days the smell is very strong as windows are open. I'd encourage anyone affected by it to complain as I have just been offered a cash settlement. I contacted B&Q customer support and they forwarded it onto Valspar themselves. You'll need a copy of your receipt so they can find the batch number from the store to see if the batch is affected. Reading someone saying it's still happening in recently decorated rooms however makes me wonder if it's worse than the initially reported "bad batch". I've been offered over £800 for one room's redecoration. Make sure you complain if you are affected!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Valspar?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

This paint is HORRIBLE. We purchased our home in September 2017 and paint literally the whole entire home top to bottom. Spent A LOT of money and A CRAZY amount of TIME! First off we had to paint about 3 coats going over off white color same sheen. Walls were properly prepared and time between coats was at least 24hrs. Walls remain tacky. They also chip, peel and scuff HORRIBLY! I don't have kids or pets but I could not imagine it with either. You lean ANYTHING against the walls it peels off. Can not tell you how much I HATE Valspar for the NIGHTMARE experience. Now I will be repainting the whole house again because of this ** paint.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Enticed had used Behr paint from Home Depot and had excellent one coat painting experience with it. This time went to Lowe's as my wife was wanting to paint our kitchen and the service clerk recommended the Valspar primer and paint combo that was a one coat coverage. We purchase to gallons tinted and got home. The next day got our stair and drill and stared the paint very well and started to paint the kitchen we have shiny places showing and had to go over two to three coats in areas that did not cover well period 3 weeks later the walls are still tacky. We have had warm weather and they should have been dried at tops three to four days.

I am going to return the other gallon back to Lowe's and get a refund and go back to Home Depot and get the Behr paint two more gallons and repaint the whole kitchen again. This was her first time trying Valspar and will never try it again. These could have been just a bad gallon of paint that we got but was a lot of work wasted in painting the kitchen and don't want to go through this again. Walls were washed and thoroughly cleaned before painting and allowed to dry completely a week before we started painting. This was a very unhappy experience for us using this paint and as we are both disabled wasted and was a painful experience for us. Same I lot of people by the reviews have had good luck and success with it but ours unfortunately was not the case.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I paint furniture, and I thoroughly sand down the piece before painting. I have previously used the Valspar TRADE primer, which has AWFUL coverage. And have also bypassed the trade primer, and have just used the Premium V700 Wood & Metal Eggshell. My furniture takes a MINIMUM of 5-6 full applications, which is VERY time consuming. And yet, I still get a grainy finish with dull/dark scratch marks in between. The finish isn’t flat or smooth, it’s very rough and grain like. I’ve also just tried using Valspar basic tester pots of wall & ceiling paint, and it still comes out with the same texture. I’m slowly giving up on Valspar!

Original review: July 17, 2018

Valspar Reserve paint made me ill for 3 days now? Had to put on 2 coats over med yellow? They should tell you this paint might make you sick. # Days and it still stinks; eyes are red and burn? Best paint?

Original review: June 23, 2018

I used Valspar decking paint because I have their paint all over my house and outside. So thinking it would look fantastic and it did... for a while. First time I washed it with just soapy water and a brush it started to come off, I applied 3 coats because it was very light colour and got dirty easily. I complained to Valspar as I had spent nearly £300 painting it all, the deck is roughly 35 by 35ft. They sent me vouchers for 5lt of deck paint and told me to sand it all down first. Are they having a laugh? This all started last year and first time I jet washed it this year it was just rolling off as water hit it... Valspar just keep saying sand it down, so can the bright spark who said that tell me, "How the heck you get paint out of grooves???"

I am 60 yr old with back, hip and knee problems and cannot afford for someone to come do it so have been sanding it down with a small power sander because I cannot afford £170 to hire a floor sander. It's going to take months to complete as I also work full time. I am in constant pain trying to do this and have contacted head office at Valspar and guess what? Same as last year. No reply. I am going to give it 1 more time emailing them to try solve this problem. If not I am going to take action. We had the decking for my beautiful amazing grandson who has no garden to play in down home. Logan is severely autistic and disabled, he will never be able to wear shoes and all the scraping in the grooves is hacking my deck to bits. I am using a small scraper but it just keeps catching and now there are hundreds of little splinters all over, how can I let him on it safely.

Now he is going to be stuck in his wheelchair and won't be able to play, we also bought a spa last year so it could help him when he has his operations on his feet. Well it's still in the box and all my furniture and barbi are still under cover. Hope nobody spends £6500 on their deck and first time it's painted find few month later it all goes WRONG.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I did not know about the 2017 smell problem of Valspar paint and I used it to paint a room (April 2018). In a hot week the problem of the bad odour emerged easily. Valspar is not going to refund or do anything and B&Q in UK seem silent on it. Search online on UK newspapers and you can read about this problem. Don't buy this paint. After the work you need to do to prepare the job and do it, the result can only be a disappointment, starting with Valspar paint can only be a risk.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have used the paint bought from B & Q, unknowingly there was an issue regarding the smell, I painted two rooms and began to notice a sour type dough smell, I ignored the smell thinking it was the new carpets we had installed. Having watched the consumer programme Watchdog on BBC1 it became apparent there was an issue regarding the paint, I have spent a lot of time, money and effort painting the rooms and with new carpets, it feels we have not improved the rooms but added a problem with the strong smell emitting. I am going to approach B & Q complaints department and hopefully understand the problem their paint has caused.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Painted property I moved into with Valspar Paint in August 2017. After few days noticed strange smell in the rooms that had been painted with Valspar, fortunately rest was done in Dulux. The ammonia, cat pee smell remained and when I looked into Valspar noticed this was a big issue. Spoke to them and they offered small amount of money to buy sealer and had to buy new paint, not Valspar!! to redecorate.

Now April 2018 notice smell is returning when windows and opened as it is getting warmer. Spoken to Valspar again who would like proof of the purchase of sealer or see the empty tins but again have only offered small amount of cash to buy new Dulux sealer which is expensive and need to pay for redecoration. Have found out there is not standard amount being offered to people some have had to have rooms replastered which Valspar have paid for and new carpets yet the smell still remains in the air. At a loss to know the best solution, just hope it doesn't affect people's health as 2 of the rooms are kids bedrooms. DO NOT USE VALSPAR.

Original review: April 3, 2018

As a decorator I was disappointed when B&Q dropped the brand leader Dulux and swapped it for the little known Valspar mix to order paint. The first issue is the packaging. A Google search for "Valspar paint lids" will show the problem. A flimsy lid which comes off too easily, often in the car in the journey home from the store. In my customer's case she needed to get a second tin. Showing the previous label to the store resulted in a paint completely different being mixed which the store refused to refund. The paint itself is far inferior to Dulux in my opinion.

I know a lot of decorators and none use Valspar. It's very watery so easy to spill from the brush as well as being prone to roller splatter. It's usual for a paint to require two coats however Valspar needs three, or at least it did to properly cover magnolia with creamy white. I used Valspar a month ago. My customer paid extra for the "scrubbable" finish, and it's not wearing well. It hasn't really been wipeable so now my customer needs to pay to have her stairs painted again, this time with the trusty Dulux trade paint.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I like the color varieties that they provide, and the in-store paint samples that help you choose mixed colors for accent walls, etc. I also liked their outdoor paint and stains. They had a Biltmore Estates color theme that was beautiful. I also like that it is durable and goes on well. However, the pricing is higher than other paint brands. Other than that, they seem to really have a good handle on the home paint market. Pretty decent paint brand all in all. Very satisfied with Valspar.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The paint has very good color quality. It is durable, it stays on when wash the walls and goes on smoothly. I probably didn't need to even do 2 coats because it covers so well. I like the paint very much. My only regret is that they (stores) don't offer sales on the paint very often. I tend to buy paint and supplies for one project at a time. But my overall experience was a wonderful one. I have recommended this paint to my daughter and her husband as they are beginning to do some home remodel projects.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I selected this brand based on the description of the salesperson and the finish of the paint. This paint met all of my expectations, each and every one of them. I really liked the richness of the color and the fact that it covered up the previous paint color underneath. It has been six years since we painted my bathroom and it has barely chipped. Everything with this brand and the shade and the overall price of what I paid to paint all my rooms was a pleasant experience.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have been seeing the commercials for Valspar for about 4 years. It looked nice on tv but everything looks nice on tv, so I went out and bought some for my bathroom wall and I've never really liked any other brand than Valspar. I really love that it is very colorful and vibrant, it looks like I just painted my walls everyday! I always get great comments on how dense my walls look with the Valspar paint. It's amazing. Overall great paint! I need a endless supply with every different color.

Original review: March 24, 2018

5 gallon bucket of Ultra 4000 ceiling white. Once applied the odor was so bad it cause me to vomit. 24 hours later it still smells just as bad. Windows are open and fans used, but no help. Called fire department to check if it could be dangerous. They suggested to leave the house to avoid the horrendous odor. Valspar representative suggested paint over with 2 coats of a sealer. We are on social security and don’t have the money to pay someone again to repaint. Guess we will just try to live with the odor.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I went to Ace Hardware and bought Valspar Optimum. I hired an experienced painter and as soon as the first coat dried we realized that it did not cover the light yellow of the old paint. My painter was applying Beach Breeze (a teal color) as soon as she started putting on the second coat of the teal color we noticed it was blotchy and what seemed to be a darker color. I had the paint shook at Ace and she had stirred it also. She stirred it again and shook it too. I called Ace and took the paint back and got another brand. I took pictures of the walls and showed them to Ace and also call Valspar and sent them the pictures.

I am extremely disappointed in this paint. I spoke to Valspar and sent them pictures but they have not returned my phone calls. This is very expensive because now the entire bathroom has to be painted again and I have to pay for it!!! Valspar says they will replace paint but not labor! What a crock!!! I may have to get an attorney! I will do that, and it's not just the money for the painter but my bathroom is tied up for another 3 days!!! The inconvenience is also a factor! Don't buy this paint!!!

Original review: March 24, 2018

I selected Valspar because it was highly recommended by one of the associate at Lowe's and it met my expectation. It had tons of color selection that I liked and that were available. The paint wasn't as strong as other brand when it comes to the actual paint smell. The painter who did my room enjoyed doing the work because the smell of the paint did not bother him. He told me that he will get the same product when he does his next project. I would most likely get this product in the future again, in an event that I may need to have my property repainted again.

In my opinion they could have more possible and available colors for people to choose from and make it more available to other stores as well not just Lowe's or Home Depot. The pricing was just about right and not that expensive at all opposed to what my painter had told me. He said that Valspar is a great product but he wouldn't be able to afford to buy a lot of it so it would also be more interesting if the prices would go down a little bit. Furthermore, I also think that it should have more advertising so that people can be more aware about the product itself. I was also wondering if it is possible to create or come up with new ideas for new containers for paint. The tin aluminum containers are just getting outdated and not desirable to look at.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I had to cover an ugly red wall, and wanted to change it to a light blue. I picked Valspar at a local branch of a well-known hardware/building supply store and it was a good buy. Valspar got the job done. it provided better coverage than I have experienced with several other similar products at a fair price. With only one coat of primer and two coats of paint my project was done. This paint saved me both time and money, without any bleed through from the existing paint. It is a quality product. I have family members with very strong sense of smell. Even shortly after the paint was applied they were able to be in the room with me without discomfort. But I wish that Valspar could be a little cheaper and a little bit thicker. And I don't know if it comes in a primer and paint mix. But if it does it was not available on the shelf at the retailer I got it from.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I selected this brand because it was recommended to me by the associates at the store. I like that it covered a lot with just one coat and I didn't have to keep going over spots again and again. It also didn't have a bad smell and didn't offend my family as I was painting. I had a great experience with it and would purchase Valspar again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have used Valspar Trade paint throughout my property. What I have noticed that the paint has been chipping off in areas where you need to be standing on a ladder. I would go as far as saying it is wipeable as it leaves a stain mark where you have used damp cloth. I am now having to spend £3500 to repaint the entire property. Stick what you know. Dulux Trade.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Valspar paint did a fairly good job. It covered really well and had a nice fragrance. They added lavender or something like that at the store where we bought it. We painted paneling and was surprised that it only took one coat. But when the paint job was fairly new, if you nicked it with something, it would peel off fairly easily. I found myself doing a lot of touch up because of this. We just had to be careful around it for the first month or so, but I was fairly satisfied with the effect. If we buy this brand again, we know not to get too close to it for a while.

Original review: March 20, 2018

A friend used Valspar on the house he was remodeling. 85% of the paint I liked better than Behr paint and 15% of the paint did not look good when put on wall. I like that the paint is a good brand for interior or exterior. I liked the colors of the paint and there are a lot of good colors. But the color mix can be different to make it smooth looking. The paint went on weird and I did not like the way the paint went on to the wall. Valspar was priced in the middle of the road but I like to see the price $2 cheaper.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I selected this at the suggestion of my daughter, who told me this was a really good brand. It was also on sale when I needed to purchase it so that was a plus. I like that this paint goes on even and smooth. It is stain blocking and washable. It easily wipes clean. It also has a lifetime warranty. My overall experience with Valspar paint has been very good. It really is a great paint and I will buy again.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After talking with the representative at Home Depot, we determined it was the best quality paint for the money. I was impressed that high quality paint was available at a price that wouldn't break the bank for us. Also, I was very impressed with the one-coat coverage of the paint. The color dried exactly as it was shown on the samples we chose it from. It met and exceeded all of our expectations. I would purchase this brand again next time I have an interior paint project.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Valspar has paints that are safe to use in living environments. This is good to know that they don’t damage your health. Great for people with health issues.

We love our choice. It was easy to apply and safer than some others. We could ask for cheaper but it was good. It has great color and was everything we hoped it would be. We receive compliments all the time. We will use this again and recommend it. We love it.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Valspar has the best color assortment - especially when I'm looking for something different. It's a premium brand without the huge price tag that some other premium brands have. I liked the paint and I got what I expected. It went on smooth and looked like the color I wanted. It only took a primer and one coat to look really nice. I chose the brand because it was one of two that were available and the other one had provided a bad experience in the past. However, I would like to have a variety of sizes available, including some touch-up options such as small tubes or pens. I realize it might be difficult with all the colors available, but it would make me consider the brand more often.

Valspar Company Information