2.95/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

From refrigerators to smart speakers, Assurant keeps millions of households up and running with service protection plans that save time and money. Our service contracts protect purchases with additional coverage that goes beyond the manufacturer’s warranty, helping our customers get more value from the things they buy. We also provide premium tech support for virtually any smart home appliance or electronic device. If something does go wrong, our highly-rated customer service teams and certified service professionals are available via call, click or chat to help save the day.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

So here we are 14 days after The technician was here lying to my face in my kitchen that my GE Cafe oven would be repaired by the weekend. It needs a new main board. A 120$ part that is available ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET in 2 days time. Not these guys. All this after being told it takes 7-10 days to complete the repair normally. As I type this I am still on hold waiting for a manager. I can't rate their service as I have received ZERO. If you are in NJ and they assign CENTRAL APPLIANCE SERVICE run the other way. On Second thought, run from ASSURANT. So far this "warranty" is a scam as I have not seen a repair or received any service whatsoever be it customer service or a service person who is competent and not a bold face liar. DO NOT BUY AN ASSURANT SERVICE PLAN.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We understand that you are frustrated with the delay with getting your appliance repaired. We would be glad to have our escalation team look into this issue. Please send a private message with your incident number so that we can take a look.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Assurant has "most assuredly" exceeded my expectations with their self-service repair website. It was fast and easy to use! The calendar with the time options was also easily navigated. I think my tech-challenged older parents could actually use this site..

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thank you for the feedback, Lisa! We strive to make the site as user friendly as we can.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I called to get my Whirlpool dryer fixed through Assurant. They sent a technician out, he took the dryer apart and told me the vent hose had not been properly cleaned. Then he tells me that he doesn't have the part which I'm sure he was lying to me, then he tells me I will get an e-mail from his company or a phone call telling me when he was bringing the part back and fix the dryer. I waited a few hours and didn't hear anything, so I called and the representative tells me they are denying my claim because I didn't properly maintain my dryer vent. So I said, "If I were an 80 year old person that purchases an extended warranty because I couldn't move the dryer out you would not honor the warranty because I did not properly clean the vent." This company is bad, bad, bad, anybody that reads this please do not use them!

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We would be glad to have our escalation team review this issue. Please send a private message with your incident number.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

On Monday, October 14, 2019 my air conditioner compressor stopped running and I made an online repair request. Between then and the time Assurant's service provider called, it started running again. The provider asked me to cancel the request, as there was apparently nothing to repair, so I did as they asked. The next day the AC was again not cooling and there was thick ice on the refrigerant lines at the compressor so I called to reschedule a service call. Later that day a technician called to say he couldn't come because Assurant had fired his company, their only AC contractor in Central Florida. I called Assurant and learned that they had done so without lining up a replacement, leaving their customers with no service. They said it would take 2-3 days to find a replacement, and that they would do nothing to repair my AC in the meantime despite temperatures in the Orlando, FL area being around 90 degrees.

On Friday, October 18 they finally sent a service provider to inspect my system. He found a leak in the refrigerant line where it enters the compressor, and said the location of the leak prevented its repair and that the compressor must be replaced. Later that day the provider called to say that Assurant had not approved the repair and was reviewing it. When I called Assurant, they said it would take 2-3 business days before they had a decision, leaving our home without air conditioning through the sweltering and humid weekend. That same day I checked my system's warranty status and learned that the compressor is still under the manufacturer‘s warranty. I called the service provider, who confirmed this and provided Assurant with a reduced repair estimate based on this new information.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 Assurant sent me an email claiming their service provider had determined that my system was unrepairable and asking me to accept $1,000 as the depreciated value of my system in lieu of a repair. I replied that their provider told me my system is repairable, that I have an independent quote for the repair that is higher $1,000 and that I do not accept their offer. As of this time I have had no response and my system is still not functional. I’ve now been without air conditioning for ten days. I've contacted an air conditioning service provider and scheduled a repair for Thursday, October 24 and have contacted an attorney to take legal action against Assurant for breach of contract.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Ronald, we have reached out privately to see how we can help. Being without air conditioning in Florida isn't easy!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

My unit broke. Instead of sending me a new unit or gift card, this company only refunded me the $20 I paid for a warranty. How is that a warranty? It is not. It's false advertising. Extremely bad customer service. They say it's a warranty but it is NOT.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We would be glad to review this situation if there was an error made. Please send a private message with your claim number and best contact number so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I purchased an air compressor from Harbor Freight 2 months ago as well as a 1 year warranty. When the compressor failed I exchanged it and was told my warranty was no longer any good after 3 months because it required an exchange and they only covered 1 exchange.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

If you believe there was an error made with your calim, we would be glad to have our escalation team review. Please send a private message with your claim number and best contact number so that we can have a representative review and contact you directly.

Resolution response: Oct. 17, 2019

After 50 days and three different repair companies which were all unable to resolve my issue, the company has finally elected to reimburse me for a new refreigerator.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

On July 5th 2018, I purchased an extended warranty through Assurant in the amount of $411.56. The term of the plan was a (2) year warranty from August 2018 – August of 2020, and was to cover any repairs and parts for my Samsung Refrigerator/Freezer. On August 30th 2019 I contacted Assurant to request service for my refrigerator as my refrigerator was not cooling and it showed a temperature of 60 degrees. I was scheduled an appointment through their automated system for September 2nd between the hours of 9am-5pm; needless to say I had to wait home the entire day since the company did not provide me with a 4 hour window but instead provided me with an 8 hour.

I was told the repair facility that would be arriving at my home was “Jimmy’s Repair”. At 5pm nobody had showed up at my home; I immediately contacted Assurant via phone and could not reach any live person to find the status of the repair technician. My second call was directly placed to “Jimmy’s Repair” to check on the status of the technician and once again to no avail no response.

On September 3rd 2019, I made a call to “Jimmy’s Repair” and spoke to a “Linda” and advised them that I had service appointment on Monday September 2nd and she stated that it was a Holiday and they were closed and they do not know why Service Protection scheduled me for this day and that later on I that day I the service repairman will visit my home to inspect my refrigerator.

Later on September 3rd, I received a phone call from my wife who was at my home at the time of the visit and she advised me the repairman from “Jimmy’s” was unable to service my refrigerator. Unfortunately the repairman was elderly and did not have the physical strength to pull out my refrigerator to properly diagnose it but he stated he lives nearby my home and he would visit my home the following day and if I can assist him with pulling out my refrigerator..

On September 4th, the same repairman from “Jimmy’s Repair” visited my home in the morning and per his diagnosis he stated that I needed a “motherboard” and he would order the part and once It arrives I would be contacted for a new appointment. The repairman has asked me for a payment of $50.00 for his diagnosis? I stated to the man why do I have to pay I had purchased a service warranty and paid over $400.00; he stated that this was part of my plan, something I was never advised about from Assurant when I purchased this plan. The repairman demanded payment and I obliged by providing him with my credit card.

On September 7th I received a phone call from the owner of “Jimmy’s Repair” asking me if they can revisit my home to make sure the first repairman made the proper diagnosis. I expressed my frustration with this entire process, and why now 3 days after the diagnosis am I being asked for a second opinion? I complied and had the owner visit my home later that day. The owner concurred with the first technician's visit and stated I needed a “motherboard”.

Later that day; my ice unit on my freezer stopped making ice. I called “Jimmy’s” and stated to “Linda” ever since the owner came out and inspected my unit he also messed with my freezer and it was not producing any more ice; I was told from Linda that there is a “reset” button on the freezer and to press it and allow 24 hours for it to start making ice. 24 hours later still no ice, I contacted “Jimmy’s” once again they stated once the “motherboard” comes in they will check the freezer and see why it stopped making ice. So now I go from a refrigerator that wasn’t cooling to a refrigerator that also isn’t making any ice beyond refrigerator.

On September 11th I contacted “Jimmy’s Repair” and spoke with Linda and inquired what is the status of the part? It has now been over 1 week since the diagnosis and I have not had a working refrigerator for now 2 weeks. Linda stated the part was on backorder and she had no idea when the part would be in? I immediately contacted Assurant and spoke with “Dan” and stated this was unacceptable service. I was able to look up the part myself via internet search from the part number received directly from “Jimmy’s Repair” and stated I can purchase the part myself and have it delivered as early as September 13 and asked “Assurant” that if I were to do this would they reimburse me for the cost of the part? “Dan” stated he cannot guarantee this and he would look into it and let me know.

On September 16th, I receive a call from “Dan” of Service Protection” and he stated that if I ordered the part on my own and submitted a receipt they will review it but there would be no guarantee I would be refunded; at this point It has now been almost 3 weeks with no refrigerator and what choice do I have; I purchased the part myself and was told I would have it on September 18th.

On September 18th I receive the part and coincidentally I received a call from “Jimmy’s Repair” stating they as well received the part and the repairman would be to my home later that day to install it. On the evening on September 18th the owner from “Jimmy’s” installed the part and also service my freezer. I was advised to wait “24 hours” and the temperature of the fridge should reach its normal setting of 38 degrees and that the freezer will be making ice within the next 4 hours. 24 hours later still “NO ICE” and the temperature is still set to “60 degrees”. On September 19th I immediately contacted Assurant and stated this was unacceptable service; my family and I have been days without a working refrigerator and ever since their visit my unit stopped producing ice! I was told that Assurant would be contacting Jimmy’s to see what was the issue.

On September 20th, I contact Assurant again to check on the status and I was told that unfortunately “Jimmy’s Repair” stated they do not understand why it’s not working and there is nothing more they can do. I stated this was completely unacceptable and I demanded to speak with a supervisor. I had spoken with a “Stacy” a Supervisor of Assurant and she stated that they will be scheduling me another appointment to have an “Authorized Samsung” appliance repair facility visit my home to inspect my refrigerator. I was also advised from “Stacy” that if the second repair facility was unable to fix my unit that the final step would be to refund me the cost of my refrigerator which was part of my service plan. I was told the appointment would on October 2nd; now putting me and my family over a month without a working refrigerator

On October 2, I had a service appointment with “Dial Appliance” a so called “Authorized Samsung Repairman” came to my home to diagnose the unit. The serviceman was in my home for less than 5 minutes and only visually inspected my refrigerator and stated that I needed “Freon” but unfortunately my refrigerator takes what is called a “600 coolant” and “Dial Appliance” a so called “Authorized Samsung Repair Facility” is “NOT AUTHORIZED” to work with “600 Coolant”. Once again I immediacy contacted Service Protection Advantage once and expressed my anger, my claim specialist “Daniel” of Assurant is rude, lacks no Customer Service and has been completely un-sympathetic to my issue. “Daniel” is argumentative and has a rebuttal for anything I say to him.

On October 4th, I contacted Service Protection and asked them what do they repair to do at this point? It has now been 36 days and my family and I have been living out of camping coolers which lay on my kitchen floor. Since my unit has broken back on August 30th my wife every night has to go to our local supermarket to purchase bags of ice to keep the essentials like “milk” and “eggs” properly stored for my three children. The customer service rep whom I had spoken to at Assurant stated she would get a message to “Stacy” the Supervisor who promised me that if the second company could not fix my unit I would receive a check towards the purchase of a new refrigerator. On October 7th, I had called back into Assurant and once again spoken to “Daniel” a rude examiner and advised on the status of my claim, he said no had no response and would escalate this to the “Higher Up Department”.

On October 8th, I had called back into Assurant and once again spoken to “Daniel” a rude examiner and he advised that “Assurant” was looking for a now “THIRD” repair facility; one that is “AUTHORIZED” to work on type “600 Coolant”. I stated this was not acceptable; “Stacy” the Supervisor had specifically stated to me back on September 20th that if “Dial Appliance” could not repair my unit I would be compensated for a new refrigerator! Since September 20Th, “Stacy” has been unresponsive to any of my calls and emails.

“Daniel” my examiner stated that until they receive word from a repair facility that the unit is un-fixable they cannot compensate me and my new appointment is now with “A&E Appliance” which is scheduled for October 15th. It is now 42 days and my family and I are still without a working refrigerator. Assurant should be ashamed of themselves and how they have handled this entire process and should stand behind what they have stated. A working refrigerator is a mandatory necessity.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We apologize for this situation and would be glad to have our escalation team review this to get it resolved. Please send a private message with your incident number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Assurant has only 1 available repair company in the greater Dallas Ft. Wort area. They have little flexibility and, frankly are not very good at what they do. My last repair on the same appliance they took almost 3 weeks to acquire the part. The refrigerator is still active in new retail. I did not have a working refrigerator during this time. They never have any parts on the truck. They know the model number before showing up, and given the complaints specific to this particular unit. A good company would come prepared. They have not yet been prepared.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Our apologies for this situation. Please send a private message with your incident number and best contact number so that we can review and have our team contact you directly.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I have had a problem with my washer for the past 2 weeks now and the customer service has been very frustrating, rude on top of stumbling on one block after the other with their red tape and nothing has still been resolved and still No washing machine. I am canceling my contract with them today.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Virginia, we reached out privately to gather a few more details. We would like to investigate the delays you are experiencing.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

They have been inactive and not doing anything for warranty repair. Followed up two weeks after diagnosis to find out parts have not been shipped because they are factory back order. Spend two hours on the phone with service company to get information. Staff for Assurant are powerless and lie in order to get you off the phone. Told I would get a call back, did not, told cannot contact higher department than told I could if they wanted to but didn't want to. Supervisor disconnected when I said she must have misspoke earlier. Each person tells me a different story. Best estimates are that I might have more information in two to three days and might have a resolution in a month. Warranty cost half the price of the fridge, so I'm running up to a loss quicker than a break even.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We apologize for this inconvenience. We would be glad to have our escalation team look into getting this resolved for you. Please send a private message with your incident number and we will have a representative review and contact you directly.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information