3.1/5 (68 ratings)

About Assurant Service Protection Advantage

Assurant is an appliance protection program with low deductibles and a short waiting period. Assurant’s plans cover a variety of home appliances, and you can create coverage based on your products and the types of damage you want covered.

Pros

• Transferable coverage
  • Monthly payment options
  • Short waiting period
  • Low deductibles

Cons

• Varying costs
  • No upfront pricing

Bottom Line

Assurant offers a transferable appliance protection program with low deductibles and short waiting periods. Although Assurant’s costs vary greatly, its payment plans can help make coverage more affordable.

Top Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Verified

Your service was right on. The time frame was quick and easy. The warranty procedure was not complicated. The phone service was spot on! Very pleasant person to understand and tal...

Verified

Highly recommended, Would recommend to a friend. Website was very user friendly. Looking forward to visit again sooner than later. Wish I could give ten stars instead of 5 stars. ...

What is Assurant service protection?

Assurant’s service protection is an appliance warranty program you can purchase for appliances when buying a home. It extends the life of a manufacturer’s warranty, covering functional parts and labor after the warranty expires.

With Assurant service protection, 100% of functional parts and labor are covered if you submit a claim. This does not cover problems due to random acts of nature, cosmetic damages or issues caused by power outages. All services are completed by reputable technicians, and plans can be transferred to a new owner if you move before your protection is up.

How does Assurant service protection work?

With Assurant service protection, homeowners create a plan centered on which appliances they want covered — typical selections include stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and TVs. You can choose to cover up to nine appliances with one plan, though your products must be no more than 15 years old.

After choosing your plan, you can sign up for coverage that's effective within 48 hours if the product is under manufacturer's warranty or 30 days if it isn't. Then, in the case of an appliance malfunction, you file a claim and wait to receive care from Assurant’s network of authorized specialists.

Assurant service protection costs

The price of an Assurant service protection plan varies based on a few factors, including where you’re located, the product type and brand and when your appliances were installed. For example, a three-year plan for a side-by-side GE refrigerator installed in July 2020 in Kansas City costs $402.33, while a Frigidaire dishwasher installed at the same time in the same city runs $218.85 for a three-year plan.

You can save on the overall cost by purchasing more years of coverage. Assurant also offers the option to pay in four installments. Its plans include a $50 deductible.

Assurant service protection FAQ

Is there a waiting period for Assurant service protection?
If your product is still under warranty, your appliances can be covered in under 48 hours. If your product is no longer covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty or your service contract has expired, your new plan will start 30 days after purchase.
What systems does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers all functional parts and labor costs if a protected item fails. Products available for coverage include refrigerators, small kitchen appliances, microwaves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, freezers, ovens, ranges and cooktops less than 15 years old and TVs less than 10 years old.
Is Assurant service protection available everywhere?
According to the website, Assurant has a vast network of technicians, so service should be offered widely. If no technicians are available in your area, you can ask for a refund.

Is Assurant service protection worth it?

Assurant is a well-known name in the insurance industry, and its service protection program could help you save money on repairs. With multiple coverage options, plus protection for up to nine appliances, it’s simple to tailor a plan to each homeowner. While upfront pricing isn’t available on its site, its quote tool lets customers calculate expected costs in their area. And, with little to no waiting period for coverage for most products, Assurant offers faster protection than many other options.

1 featured review

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

We were not looking for a refund. We just wanted a replacement knob and still would like to purchase one but we can't find the parts so if we can get help finding the part please let me know. We are very pleased with the washer though.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We can have this sent over to the appropriate department. Please see our private message requesting additional information.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Refrigerator is set at 41 degrees but ice forms on water in refrigerator at times. I set at 42 degrees today and it went up to 50 degrees. Then Turbo Cold setting took it down to 30 degrees. Have up to 20 insulin pens requiring refrigeration but cannot freeze. Extremely costly to replace. Prior visit by technician cannot determine why this occurs as nothing unusual registers on computer at time of checking.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We're sorry to hear about that, Larry. In the event you need to speak with a specialist, please respond to our private message.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

The web site works well but with longer than expected service response time. Food in the fridge is starting to smell rotten and the fridge is needed daily is especially needed working during a time of eating mostly at home.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Bradley. In the event you still need assistance, please check the private message we've sent.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I bought a Bauer pole saw and had used it a few times. I was cutting some limbs on a small tree and it was working perfectly and I really enjoy the tool. I set it down for a minute to move some branches. Fix it up to use it and it just stopped working. Could not figure it out and I knew I had a fresh battery in it so I was concerned if I got the protection plan or not. When I got to Harbor Freight they said yes I had purchased it and that is because they always are courteous and ask me if I would like to purchase it. After that the exchange for new product was no problem. Just took a few minutes and I was on my way with my new pole saw with a new protection plan on it for 2 years.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thanks for sharing your review with us, Fred. We're happy to hear you're pleased with our services.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Susan was very professional and nice to work with. No Predator motor in stock. I’m 120 miles from Billings. Will have to return to get a new one. That’s 480 miles round trip twice. While there I bought 2 more items I like Harbor Freight motor for my trencher. This will be 4th motor including original Robbie rec. warranty.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any questions about the process, please check the private message we've sent.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

I bought and immediately returned a refrigerator to Lowe’s. I’ve been trying over 2 months to get a refund from Assurant on the protection plan. What is the holdup? I do not recommend this company. Please refund me.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are very sorry to hear this. Please see our private message requesting additional information.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

The insurance is good because the fridge sucks. Well the drawers don't stay shut and fridge door squeaks. There is no way to get the bottom water filler thing out to clean and it is too big on the side to fit things. They fall through the hole.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your refrigerator. If there is something we can look into for you, please reach out in a private message with more details.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I am in a nightmare trying to acquire repair assistance through an expensive 3-year extended warranty with Assurant for my LG Refrigerator/Bottom Freezer. On August 31, 2022 the deposit deductible was paid and what became 1st of now (12 days later) up to 5 FIVE tickets to acquire repair was opened. I am heading in to two weeks now with Refrigerator in my home! Every time I call or chat with Assurant to report that ticket was incorrectly closed, the claims people keep telling me they will open a new ticket and escalate to their regional service team. I have been told that same canned response now 4 times. I am now going into week two of having no one come to my home to repair my appliance! No one from Assurant has apologized for this highly upsetting, time consuming, frustration and as I said I have still not received what I paid for August 31st which is a repair of completely broken refrigerator/freezer appointment - - which should have occurred 8-10 days ago!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I contacted GE about a washer repair and I was told I had registered with Assurant. The letter I received when I purchased the repair contract made me think I was dealing with GE. Assurant sent a repairman from Axis Appliance Repair who could not communicate in English. He messed with the dishwasher said something and left without it working. I called GE and a repairman showed up with GE on his shirt, a proper truck and tools. He had the dishwasher working before he left. I received a call for Axis about three weeks after the first call and they said they were coming with parts. I told them the machine was working and not to come. Today I received an email from Assurant saying Axis Appliance had billed for the repair. This is false. Axis did nothing to repair the machine. Dealing with Assurant is a mess.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are very sorry to hear this. Please see our private message for more information.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Extremely disappointed with the service provided by Assurant. I’ve had my GE washer/dryer combo unit for less than 4 years. Recently I scheduled a repair because my washer was making a loud noise while spinning. Assurant sent in a third party company “Total Appliances” and the tech guy came to look at my machine, he was here for less than 5 mins. Guy seemed annoyed after I kindly asked to remove his shoes and wear a mask (just had a baby). Not only that he was in and out and complained that the location where my unit is located is tight and that he needed another tech to come in with him and that he would order the parts needed for the repair.

A few days passed by and then I get an email from Assurant saying my machine is “non-repairable” due to overloading! WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I have been calling them to request to a second opinion and have a GE tech come and look at my machine but they refuse to help me. I don’t believe my machine is non repairable, and if it is I want to hear from the actual manufacturer, not a bogus lazy third part company.

Also, the contact states that if the pair is considered “non-repairable” as they claim, I should be able to have it replaced or given the depreciated amount of what the product is not worth. DO BETTER ASSURANT, you guys are scamming people over charging with these expensive plans and then want to refuse to help customers. Have more sympathy for your customers, I should not have to be chasing you guys to fix my machine when I have a sick newborn baby at home who has been throwing up and I can’t even do his laundry. UNACCEPTABLE AND INHUMANE!!!

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are very sorry to hear about this. Please see our private message requesting additional information.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information