1.00/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

231 Assurant Service Protection Advantage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We purchased our first home and within months the dishwasher broke down. We called a repair service who recommended we purchase an extended warranty program through Assurant, it seemed like a fantastic program so we purchased the five year plan. This week my dishwasher flooded my kitchen. We called Assurant, got a service confirmation for 48 hours later. The day of the repair I call the service company who has no record of the repair, I call Assurant who commits to getting it taken care of on the day they promised and they would call me back. Long story short, no callback. I call back two hours later for a follow up and am basically told by a supervisor, "Sorry, the repair people are busy until next year so we need to find someone else."

They scheduled the repair for next week which is now over a week I am without a dishwasher with a baby in the home. That's not the most disgusting part. I called the original service company, you know the one that was booked until next year. They have an available appointment on Monday. So not only does Assurant not know how to do their jobs, they don't follow up, don't follow hey and then LIE. I wish I could get my money back and find someone else altogether. I truly despise this company and DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have been waiting for Assurant to find a vendor for 1 1/2 weeks to fix my freezer. The call center rep said they had no vendor in my area (Asheville, NC) yet the vendor that is now scheduled said they had never been contacted. It has been time consuming trying to get an answer, and get anyone to take responsibility. The reps who answer the phone have no idea how to handle a problem and I had to INSIST to talk to a supervisor. They are not empowered to do anything, so I insisted on escalating to consumer relations (Jessica) and asked to deal with one person till I have resolution. They won't accommodate that. I have no confidence in this company and the reviews demonstrate VERY LOW customer satisfaction.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We are a vendor who went to one warranty service call for this company. It has been a month since we submitted our invoice and we have been receiving the run-around from all parties who answer the phone when we inquire about payment. Each time we call, they extend the payment processing another 5-7 business days. We do not understand where the disconnect is, but we should have heeded the warning from another company we partner with, who also experienced the same situation with this business. If you are a service vendor considering doing business with them, please think twice before signing an agreement.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have not had a working refrigerator for 5 months. Assurant sent GE Factory Service repair and after more than 20 visits, they declared the refrigerator unfixable. Assurant owes me a payout on this unit but says that the part that is needed, which is no longer available, is not their responsibility to replace. Plus they claim they old me nothing on my contract. This is a huge scam; do not buy this appliance insurance. It is expensive and they do not deliver on their promises.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My dishwasher stopped working on October 2, 2018. Called Assurant who scheduled a repair with G & A Appliance Repair Service for 10-4. No call and no show for G & A. Called Assurant who also could not get in touch with G & A. They scheduled a new appt with Audio Video Repair, Inc. for 10-8. Audio Video came on 10-9 and told us it needed parts and sent a report to Assurant on 10-11. It is now 10-22-18 and we are still waiting for Assurant to authorize the repair. Assurant has delayed authorization saying that it was in claims, then in special claims, and the last excuse was that they were waiting to speak to the service technician. When you call, you may be on hold for anywhere from 5 to 41 minutes. To add insult to injury they just put in their monthly fee to be automatically paid from my account. Meanwhile I am 20 days out with no repair in sight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Paid $210 for a warranty and MC Appliance was supposed to come out one day. Didn't show up. Then they tried again, and didn't show up. Finally, guy came about 1 hour late the next week and walked in and out. Said there's silicone around cooktop. Can't help. Then sent photos after we removed cooktop from socket to show all silicone removed. Norman and Nederia from Assurant Solutions said they needed more photos but I would get a call. I am still waiting for call I was promised earlier in week. Stay away from this company. They took our $ but no service. Now I need to get Maryland Attorney general involved. MC Appliance - Rico - horrible - had me empty drawer to check stove, and then walked out without helping.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

DO NOT BUY AN ASSURANT PLAN. In my opinion, they are nothing more than a scam company. I bought an extended warranty on an auto part purchased on eBay. The part failed and I wanted a refund per the insurance agreement. If you want to talk to someone about a claim, GOOD LUCK. They do not answer emails nor can I find a phone number to talk to someone. I am out the $120 for the insurance payment along with the $950 dollars for the part!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They deserve Zero starts but wasn't an option. They sell you on a great insurance product but don't deliver when needed. Avoid at all costs, waste of money. When it comes time to needing them they take a few days to send out a service company that don't show up so now you are without an appliance for several days. They then say they will find a new company to service where the same thing happens. Now you don't have use of your appliance for another few days with zero communication. Finally had someone come and evaluate the oven and they said it needs a part that they need to get approval to order which takes two days to get approval then another 4-6 business days to receive. It has been now two weeks and still no communication and still no oven. Insurance people are absolutely unhelpful and vendors couldn't care less. You are stuck - paid for insurance but get nothing out of it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They sent new plan 5 months in advance. Now there is a deductible: I have many appliances covered with them and NO deductibles. I was told in the past with a renewal I would not have to pay a deductible if it was not on the original contract. Agent stated that nowhere on my past plans does it state I called about the deductible the last time I renewed. The new papers they sent clearly state renewal! The deductible is in very small and light print. Agent also claimed it is a new contract and not a renewal. Also they never have the parts with the service contractors and it takes several visits for a repair even when it is the refrigerator. I understand that they cannot carry every part for every appliance but they should be able to get the new replacement parts faster.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchased the warranty for appliances in two locations from Assurant, first of all in one location the washer broke & tenet was living there, Assurant didn’t repair it since the model number sticker wasn’t attached on the washer, called the maker of washer they emailed me the model #, but Assurant didn’t accept it, the tent has no washer for the whole month since we were waiting for them to make decision, finally we bought a new one.

The other location that we live in & have appliances warranty from Assurant. I purchased it for 5 years made payments I was never told that they didn’t receive the last payment (the 12th payment) since my card was lost & had to cancel it, when I called for service for washer I was told, "Your contact act has been cancelled, because you didn’t make your last payment, we sent you a letter in 2014 that your last payment is due." Now is 2018 & I don’t even recall I received this letter, 4 years after they telling me, "We can’t service it because you didn’t pay the last payment." Very good customer service, if I want repair I need to purchase another 5 years plan from them for much more than what I did before. Who can call this company very good warranty service.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Refrigerator not working. Assigned us to a Mobile phone and a truck in a town an hour away from our metropolitan area of 350,000 people in upstate SC. Serviceman had mobile phone with rap music on answering machine and full voice mail. Finally answered and said he would be here yesterday in afternoon. He did not show up. Assurant assigned us a new case number and said 2-3 day wait. All food now spoiled. Assurant phone center in Manila Philippines could care less! $600 dollar policy worthless.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Purchased a LG front load washer from Home Depot, bought the extended warranty, July 9, 2018, machine wouldn't drain properly, smoking during spin cycle, called Assurant, sent repairman out, ordered parts, came back out second time, replaced some parts, another part was sent wrong size, waited for him to come back out, after a week, he wouldn't return phone call. Called Assurant, they tried to call, same thing, no answer, finally got hold of him, he stated it was a two man job, he was only one person (drum was burnt up). He couldn't do it by himself. Called Assurant, they sent another repairman out, he called Assurant, told them the machine was too expensive to fix, give replacement card to get another machine from Home Depot, now Assurant wants the ORIGINAL receipt from us, that we did purchase the machine drum has 10 warranty, but have to have the ORGINAL receipt before they will do any more work.

Here it is Sept 6, I still don't have a washing machine. Called Home Depot, they are sending me the receipt! Going to HOLD out and make them fix it, even if it costs more than machine was originally! I would RUN from this company, we are contacting Judge Judy to go on TV, to get a NEW machine. I've read the reviews, I'M not the only that this company was ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When we bought the extended warranty on our GE Profile Range we were not given a choice of third-party vendor, so we're stuck with Assurant. We live in this house half the year and most of that time use the range's cooktop but not so much the oven as we're grilling outdoors a lot. Last year I went to use the self-clean feature for the first time, and the range gave a digital error message. Upon calling for service a tech was sent about 10 days later, and he said he needed a part. He ordered the part and when it came, I called again. A different tech came out and said it wasn't the right part, and he'd order another part that would require 2 techs to replace (a valve for the gas shut-off, I believe).

That part came a few weeks later but the vendor claimed they couldn't fit us in before we left for several months, although I had been telling them all along that we'd be leaving. Now we're back and I've called, left a voicemail (nobody ever answers the phone), and have a sneaking suspicion I'll be starting from square one all over again. Waiting since December, it's now September. Assurant is assuredly and woefully inadequate for reliable coverage.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I had issues with my GE fridge and reported the issue to Service Protection Advantage on July 23rd, who forwarded my ticket to a local repair shop called "Mastertex Appliance Repairs, LLC". The repair shop sent someone to diagnose the issue on July 25th and he said that some parts need to be replaced. He placed an order for those parts that same day and said it could take up to 2 weeks to get those parts. Now it has been 5 weeks since that repair guy had come, and I have followed up many times with both - Service Protection Advantage as well as Mastertex Appliance Repair, but neither of them have been able to give me an estimated date for repair. So I am sitting here without a fridge in Houston summer and 6 dependents (parents, wife, and 3 kids).

I asked Service Protection Advantage if they can just reimburse me for the appliance so I can move on and buy a new fridge and be done with this issue. However, their response is that I need to wait until the parts are received (for which no one can give me an estimated date) and the service technician tries to fix the issue. I have tried to escalate this issue too, but am told that this is just how it works. So I am looking at another few weeks to maybe months of just waiting for the parts and hope the company decides at some point of time to just move on. Any help or guidance on how to get this issue fixed sooner will be greatly appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I bought an extended warranty for a dryer when the appliance was first purchased. The extended warranty was recommended by the store at which the purchase was made and the terms seemed reasonable. During the course of the service contract’s term a couple of claims were made and resolved to my satisfaction by a local, reputable repair firm. Based on these experiences I purchased a two year extended service contract. Big, big, BIG mistake.

After making timely and full payment for the extended contract the actual contract document was delivered to me. Fortunately, I had no further claims until about two months ago. That was when I began my descent into the surreal rabbit hole known Assurant customer service. First, the local repair company was no longer affiliated with Assurant so, after suffering more bureaucratic red tape than K in Kafka’s “The Castle”, a service visit was scheduled with another company. This company was located hundreds of miles from my location and understandably refused to fulfill the request.

Assurant basically told me it was my problem as they were not obligated to fulfill my service request since they had no providers located in my area. Of course no such limitations were enumerated in my contract and Assurant accepted my payment knowing the previously used repair firm would no longer fulfill their requests. After wasting hours on the telephone trying to find some mutually agreeable solution I finally surrendered to the inevitable, purchased the needed part and hired the local firm directly to make the needed repairs. Of course this was only a preview of even greater difficulties and inconvenience to come.

This morning my dryer stopped working and flashed an error code with “Call Service” on the display. Based on my owner’s manual and research it appeared that the dryer might need a new heating element. I know nothing about this type of repair and have enough sense to use someone who does. Since I have a service contract I called Assurant and was told they could not find any record of my contract. Apparently it was a figment of my imagination despite the written document in front of me, demonstrated payment for some unknown (by Assurant) reason and a documented and attempted service call less than two months ago based on... MY IMAGINARY SERVICE CONTRACT!

Finally, the customer service idiot informed me that I still owed one payment and that if I sent Assurant additional money they could schedule a service call. Despite the cancelled checks in front of me proving payment in full. Despite the final contract in my possession stating that it was in effect and not noting any additional payments due. Despite the fact that Assurant had scheduled a service call less than two months ago based on the same contract and had not noted any deficiencies in payment. Despite the fact that the missing payment had allegedly been in arrears for nearly 18 months without any dunning notice or payment reminder from Assurant, even when attempting to fulfill a service request predicated on the allegedly non-binding “preliminary” (at least no longer imagined) service contract.

All I needed to do was provide proof of payment already made and they would attempt to schedule a service call. It was repeatedly implied by their billing department, customer service rep and customer service supervisors that I was mistaken, at best, or an outright liar. Despite the abundant evidence to the contrary. My call was routed from one department to another, typically with an accompanying long wait on hold, as The circular logic of Assurant seemed to prove that the definition of insanity, and stupidity, was in fact repeating the same action expecting different and more satisfying results.

In my humble opinion this company perpetuates fraud upon consumers through use of disingenuous and duplicitous business practices. They cannot be trusted to fulfill their legal and fiduciary responsibilities. The cannot be trusted to respond to service requests in a timely and forthright manner. They cannot be trusted to respond in a polite and competent manner to the most basic customer service requests. THEY CANNOT BE TRUSTED! If you are contemplating using this firm please run, don’t walk, away from any contemplated service contract as fast as you possibly can. Otherwise you will simply waste your money with the purchase of a worthless service contract provided by a worthless and untrustworthy service provider. The only “Assurance” you will get from this company is assured regret for ever being associating with them.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I hold a contract with Assurant for 3 appliances one of which is a dryer. 3 weeks ago I called for service. It took 3 days for them to call me back with the name of a repairman. I called him and we had an appointment for 4 days later. He never showed up. Making a new appointment for another 3 days. Again he never showed up. Assurant then set up an appointment with another repair company who refused to come to my house. I called Assurant many times trying to get my dryer fixed and no one knows anything. Even twice I spoke to agents in Manila who were no help whatsoever. Assurant again told me that the first technician was the one who would call and set up a new date. He never did. After paying all this money for nothing now I need to hire someone else at more money. Horrible company.

Original review: July 28, 2018

This company off-shores their service call staff. The repair people they sent to our house barely speak English. We requested service on our Kenmore freezer. They sent 6 different repair people over a month and a half long period. The first repair company thought they fixed the ice maker only to have it freeze up 2 weeks later. I had to start the process from the beginning for a new claim and the following 5 repair companies said they did not know what the problem was. My husband searched the internet, ordered the part for $30 and fixed it himself.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. They are now giving us the runaround on our GE Monogram refrigerator. I asked them if the company they are sending is GE Monogram authorized and they said "yes". The person they sent spoke Russian and barely any English. He told me himself on the phone he was "GE Authorized"... but when he arrived, he saw my refrigerator was a "GE Monogram" and said "Sorry... I'm not authorized to repair this refrigerator".

Original review: July 16, 2018

Paid for extended warranty on appliance and refuse to fix. Stole $250 from us. Ice maker not working for 4th time on 3 year old fridge and they refuse to fix. Warranty is good through 2019. Buyer beware. Protection is worthless.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I doubt it matters because I see countless poor reviews yet nothing has been done by this company to improve customer experience. I can't even get through on the phone or via website to file a claim. They drop the call or circle your claim into an endless loop. Worthless contract, complete waste of money.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I called for service of my air conditioning system and was told they do not have service providers in DMV (District, Maryland, Virginia) areas. Told me that the locating team would call me when they found. Today is the third day since I made the service call and they have not yet contacted me. They did not tell you this kind of stuffs when you signed the contract. Now I have no air condition in my house for three days and the temperature inside is 90 degrees. I suggest you need to review your contract again to make sure they have the service providers in your areas when you need one or find other dependable service contractors.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I arranged an appointment to repair my range hood but when the service tech arrived he refused to get up on a "short"; 3-5 step stool/ladder to repair my range hood. He said his company wouldn't allow him to use a ladder due to liability issues! They didn't tell me that when they accepted my money for my range hood insurance!! My hood is still not repaired and they have my money! I would have given them a "zero" if I could!!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I signed up for the extended service contract for all appliances in our kitchen. I signed a 5 year contract and never used it until now. My wine cooler is not working and I called them to get a technician out to fix the machine. To my amazement I was advised that they do not have a service provider in the DMV area (Maryland, Virginia and District of Columbia). Well, it would appear that this is their first attempt to thwart your attempts to make a claim, as this seems to be happening in other major markets. The next thing you will be told is that they have 3 days to provide you with a service advisor.

Well day 3 came and went and I called again, only to be told by some call center employee with a bad accent that they would immediately escalate this to their "service provider location team" - can you imagine this - this issue is so prevalent they have their own department for this. Of course, nothing happened, nothing was done and I have called every day since only to be given the same runaround. What is quite hysterical, is that I received in the mail yesterday a letter from Assurant inviting me to renew my service contract and have peace of mind. I will not go away, I will call them every day, twice a day to get this resolved. This is no longer about money, it is about the principal of a company charging for services not provided. I will provide a weekly update to everyone on this site.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Contacted customer service about an AC unit I bought on eBay that was making loud noises from the fan. It's not working properly because of it and the representative turned my wording around to make it a "sound" issue instead of a mechanical issue, i.e. something they would fix. When I told her she was wrong, she just kept saying the same thing over and over basically blocking me. These guys are rip off artists. Do NOT BUY.

Original review: April 13, 2018

EXTREMELY Poor Customer Service and communication between Assurant, their service providers, and customers! NO ONE EVER CALLS BACK!!! I filed a claim back in early January to have my Viking freezer repaired. Ice was building up on the bottom of the freezer floor and in the back. They sent out a serviceman from A+ Appliance. The serviceman, said they had to get approval and order the part. It took approximately 3 weeks to get the repair completed and within a week of the repair the freezer had ice build up again! I contacted A+ Appliance to say we still have the same problem. They informed me that A+ and Assurant closed my case. I had to call Assurant to start process all over again! After several phone calls, on March 15 same serviceman came out from A+ and tells me he has to get authorization to order another part.

A few weeks past and I called A+ to inquire when they will get the part and come to fix my freezer. They tell me the case is closed again and I need to contact Assurant. The Assurant representative says they closed the case because there is no OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) service company in my area. This doesn't make sense to me... I don't live in a remote area. I have been calling weekly to follow up on my claim. I am getting no further than customer service for over a month now. They informed me that the claim is being reviewed and the Claims Department will get in contact with me. Well it is now almost the middle of April and I have heard nothing from the Claims Department nor will they transfer me to them or give a contact number. Is there really a Claims Department??? I paid for this service coverage from 2017 to 2021 in good faith and have received NOTHING but AGGRAVATION!

Original review: March 23, 2018

Had to call Assurant to get service on my 2007 Maytag front loading washer, not filling. After replacing the hoses and clearing the drains myself, still not working. Customer rep tells me there are no techs in my area but I should get a call sometime from another company in the next three days... Last time I had a repair needed on an appliance under warranty, I had to pay another company for the repair then wait for Assurant to reimburse, this is UNSAT. Want to look into Home warranties...

Original review: March 22, 2018

Three successive calls were placed to Assurant to repair a refrigerator covered by an Assurant contract. In each case, Assurant's policy is to inform General Electric (GE) - the latter is the entity which actually sends a technician to effectuate the repair. The last technician to appear (on March 19, 2018) advised that the roll out basket at the bottom of the freezer was not rolling in fully and would not seat properly. Its protrusion in turn resulted in the inability of the freezer door to close properly, which in turn allowed ice build up and cessation of freezer operation.

The problem with the freezer basket is that it has a wire basket design - the side wires are flexible, deform easily and when out of true, prevent the basket from sliding in completely. This basket design is no longer in stock with GE or anywhere else. When Assurant was informed about this, they replied via email that the problem was cosmetic and not covered by the contract for repair. This is not a cosmetic issue - it is a design flaw, since the side wires are too flexible for the application. Moreover, cosmetic flaws do not impede operation the way this problem does.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Service provider and company say they ordered new freezer side door 3 weeks ago - nobody known when door is being delivered. Ice maker does not shut off - that has to be new claim. Service provider has no idea when door is coming then tells me he is washing his hands and is canceling the order for the door, Then I get e-mail from Service Protection Advantage that I threatened the service contractor and that refuse to fix my fridge. I am 74 years old, 5'1" and just want our fridge fixed!!!! Have been paying them out of my American Express card autopay monthly for 16 years - servicer who said I threatened him forgot that his work a few weeks ago broke the fan switch in the frig and we had no power for 24 hours - almost lost everything we had. Now I am waiting for 3 more business days to see if this company will ever change frig door which they say is on back order - from where - MARS? I have never been treated so horribly in my life.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Assurant knew how old my washing machine was when they sold to me an extended warranty for my washing machine in 2015, more than 3 years ago, for approximately $17 a month. I opened a claim in March 2018 to have the washing machine repaired. Assurant refused to repair my washing machine because they have determined that my appliance is being replaced due to NOT COST EFFECTIVE and offered me a $287.68 cash settlement. Assurant is NOT replacing my washing machine, but they found a comparable replacement for $900. So, I have spent more than $600 for Assurant to deny my claim, find me a replacement, and for offer me a cash settlement. At the end of the day, I'm out of pocket $1,212, $900 replacement washer + $600 for 3 years of extended warranty - $288 cash settlement. It is much wiser to put $17 a month into a savings account for when your washer dies instead of paying Assurant to deny your claim.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I guess we all have the same complaint. Poor Customer Service and communication between Assurant and their service providers. I filed a claim back in January the Service provider. Their contact came out. After researching the part needed it was no longer available. They informed them of that and Assurant closed my case. Called to get status but could not get no further than customer service for over 2 MONTHS NOW. They informed me that the claim was closed cause the part is no longer available and the Claims Department will get in contact with me. Well it is now March and I have heard nothing from the Claims Department nor will they transfer me to them or give a contact number. Is there really a Claims Department. But they have been paid and I have this service since 2014 and this is my First & Last Claim with them. Don't do it.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This was my second time to have to call this company for service in all of the years I have paid them for my appliances. The first service technician they sent to my home couldn't fix the problem as he didn't have the parts. So he said he would order the parts and when they were received that I should call back to schedule a return visit. Well he then closed out the tickets so I guess that is where my problem started. Their advertisement of Peace of mind protection and Reliability hassle-free is a joke. These people have no respect for the customer who is actually paying for them to have a job. When I got upset because I have been put in a loop of auto-bots and talked to 3 people the CSR hung up on me.

I called back and got the same person. I had to act like a robot myself in order to get him to schedule a service call for me. I will never renew my service contract with these people. So disrespectful to me and talked to me like I was an idiot who didn't understand how their service calls worked. I know how they work. They hire subcontractors to do the work and they don't care if it gets done right or not. It would help if someone spoke understandable English too. But the second person who answered my call who did speak fluent English just pushed me back into the auto-bot loop. Good customer service simply does not exist today and it definitely is not in this company.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information