1.00/5

Save on Repairs with a Home Warranty

247 Assurant Service Protection Advantage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have a service contract on my refrigerator built-in Monogram since 5/4/2009. On 2/26/2019, I submitted a claim to Assurant as my fridge stopped making ice, on the fridge side all my foods are frozen and the temperature control knob was unable to turn. On 2/28/2019, GE Service man dispatched at my house advised me that the broken part was no longer made so it's not repairable and told me to call my insurance company. I called Assurant the same afternoon to report the non-repairable part. The agent handled the call told me that they need to wait for the technician to submit his report. I called back the next day on 3/1/2019. The agent put me on hold to call GE Service and was told that the part was not repairable. The agent advised me that it would take 3 days until Wednesday 3/6/2019 for the claim office to make their decision.

I called to follow up on 3/8/2019, the agent told me that my case was close and the technician already fixed it. It was not true as he did not do anything. It's still broken. I requested to talk to her supervisor. She dropped my call. I called back and they dropped my call again. I had to call 3rd time and waited for a long time. A supervisor named Eric finally talked to me. He was very rude. He said that if the fridge is not repairable, how come I did not call on the same day of repair (2/28/2019). I assure him that I did call to report that on the same day 2/28/2019 and followed up on 3/1/2019. He insisted that I did not call. After reading through their notes, he acknowledged that I called. Why was he so rude to accuse me unprofessionally? I called on 3/11/2019, again no update.

On 3/12/2019, I received an email update from Assurant to deny my claim as follows "We are sorry to inform you that based on our service provider’s inspection we have determined that the reported loss/damage to your product is the result of rust. This type of loss/damage is not covered, as listed in the terms and conditions of your service plan." The similar situation happened on 4/4/2016, incident# **. Another one happened on 10/1/16, incident# ** Another one happened on 1/17/17, incident# **. The service man could not fix it and made it worse. So, I had my home warranty 2-10 fixed it until it broke again on 2/26/2019. STAY AWAY FROM ASSURANT to avoid this situation.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We have had our Samsung Dryer repaired now a total of 7 times. The service man says it can no longer be fixed (it is irreparable. We have a family of 4 and both our kids are in 2 different sports so we do A LOT of laundry. We have had to miss work on every one of these "repair" times. The window is a 4- 5 hour window they give you that it will be there.

We have missed hours of work, had to go to the laundry mat, spent money on the laundromat and our TIME that has been wasted with the calls and no resolve. When we call they do NOT care and just continue to read a script repeating themselves. They refuse to allow you to talk to a supervisor stating "sorry there is not one at this time". The call is a call center in the Philippines. The amount of stress, money and absolute inconvenience it has caused is absolutely terrible. They do not care and the dryer should have been replaced a long time ago. We need the madness to STOP and SOMEONE to be held accountable for the warranty we PAID for.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Since Nov 2018 we had 4 different providers that came in to fix our dishwasher. They sent people not knowing what to do. They didn't fix anything. Also one time they sent someone that didn't know how to work on Viking brand. We waited 3 months to finally have an answer and said that our repair was an accidental damage and they will not cover any repair. A brand new dishwasher that needed a new door, coming up with excuses so they don't have to pay for it. HORRIBLE SERVICE... They charged us 100$ monthly... For nothing!!! Huge scam!!! DON'T BUY IT... DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND TIME... WORST COMPANY EVER.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My GE dishwasher stopped working after 18 months. I contacted GE and they recommended I call Assurant. I paid for the extended warranty and they set up the first service appointment which never happened. I had to call them over and over to try to resolve the issue. They kept saying they were looking for a GE repairman in my area. Finally after two months, someone came and said they needed to order a part. Two weeks later I called the repairman to see if the part had come and was told it was no longer available and Assurant had canceled my service. They didn't notify me so I called them again. They said yes they had canceled my contract and my money was refunded to my credit card (which it was). I again called GE and they sent a GE Factory service repairman who had the needed part on his van and fixed the dishwasher within an hour! This was three months later. I would not recommend Assurant.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

This is the business model: If you need to file a claim, you can call the automated service or go online. You can select the next available service. You get an incident number. This is the best part. When no one shows up at scheduled time, you can call the local service repair place. They will then take all your info and set up a date for repair... What was the purpose of the online scheduling??? Don’t waste your time calling customer service. Other than scheduling, they are useless. If you ask to speak with a manager, you are put on hold until you decide to hang up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Appliance Warranties Sold by Nebraska Furniture and serviced through ASSURANT are WORTHLESS and FRAUDULENT. DO NOT BUY!!! When my family moved just over three years ago, Nebraska Furniture Mart was just opening up. My husband and I enjoyed shopping there, it was new, fun and we thought a great deal. We ended up ultimately purchasing 8 appliances there -- stand alone fridge, freezer, dishwasher, double oven, oven hood, beverage refrigerator, washing machine and dryer. Everything was fine until the dishwasher started leaking one year after installation onto the hardwoods in my kitchen. I followed the process through the service contract that I purchased and the first repairman came out to fix the leak. Long story short, we have had repairmen out too many times to count and the DISHWASHER IS STILL LEAKING!

On the spiffy service contract sales flier on the front cover it has the Nebraska Furniture Mart Logo and the following quote: "OUR PROMISE -- IF WE CAN'T FIX IT, WE'LL REPLACE IT!" In our experience that is entirely false advertising -- there have been repairmen who refused to come out to work on the leak a third time because they said there was literally nothing else they can do. I have placed so many calls to Nebraska Furniture Mart customer service and they like to tell me that it is completely out of their hands. They say they can do nothing to ensure that the contract THEY sold me is properly respected as advertised.

I have called ASSURANT so many times and get absolutely nowhere. I had a supervisor there tell me that the fact that the dishwasher is leaking all over my wood floors and they have been unable to fix it with 5 service calls doesn't mean that it should be replaced. My recommendation is that if you are in the market for appliances and would like to have the peace of mind of an extended warranty for the appliance, FIND ANOTHER COMPANY TO BUY IT FROM. I am writing this review after another call this week in which neither company can even give me a status update.

Side note -- the door open button on my microwave just broke and I called into ASSURANT and they don't even have record of that service contract. I called Nebraska Furniture Mart last week about that and they stated it was a clerical error on their side and promised to fix it with ASSURANT. Called back to ASSURANT today -- NO RESOLUTION OR CHANGE. I will continue to update this review as I try to resolve this issue.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I purchased an extended warranty for my 1 yr old washing machine last March. I called Assurant on 1-14-19 to request service & was told they don't have service technicians in my area -- I live in NE Wisconsin! I questioned this unbelievable statement, was put on hold then was told my "case" was being given to the research team & they would get with me in 2-3 days with the results of getting a service tech. Well today is day 3...I was told by one customer rep that HE couldn't talk to me about my problem, THEN the automated system said my service request was CLOSED!! I called back for the 4th time and was on hold for 15 minutes because all reps were busy...I hung up! This company SUCKS!! I'm going to request a refund on the balance on my account...I wonder how THAT will go?!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

40 Minutes so far on the phone trying to set up a repair on this warranty for my dishwasher. They gave us an appointment but when no one showed up the repair company states they never got the appointment and can maybe come the next day. Then I called Assurant and they want us to wait another 10 days for repair after waiting 5 days already. I would not use this warranty company if I were you!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have a dishwasher which is in need of repair. Long story short, it's 2 months later and I can't get someone to repair it. Lengthy phone calls with Assurant Solutions and I can't speak to a manager. The customer service is very disappointing and no one offers a solution other than trying to set up yet another appointment with a contractor - had 2 already. Please beware.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I could tell you about my experience with these thieves, but honestly it would just be another story that so many other reviewers have left here. Plain and simple these guys are in the business of not paying you out... They are an insurance company for God sake. And in the case you might get a replacement you will get a below subpar "refurbished" replacement. I really can't state this more, just don't throw your money away on their so called coverage because when it's your time to have to use it, it will be too late and you will see what all of us have been experiencing here.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Lousy service; substandard providers; limited providers for our area for LG; takes inordinate length of time to schedule an appointment. Oh yeah - when you call you get a boiler room in the Philippines, agents barely understandable, put you on hold incessantly, claim to have NO supervisors available for assistance. And when you insist on them getting one, they put you on hold indefinitely until you just hang up (I usually give up by 20-30 minutes). I have actually had several providers in our community say they stopped working with them completely, so the customer is out of luck!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Tangerine Credit Card Insurance - After my belongings were stolen from the car, I've submitted the claim for the recently purchased items. Luckily, I had receipts and credit card statements. After one month decided to follow up and sent email asking about the status of my claim. The answer was "Unfortunately, we are not able to discuss details of your claim via email. Please call us for information regarding your claim."

Strange (details can be submitted via email, but the claim status cannot, but OK) - called and waited for 30 minutes to learn that the reviewer put the note "Missing credit card statements." Asked rep to validate - of course, they were present. After lengthy apologies I was told that the reviewer will call me next day to clarify. Needless to say that nobody called. As you can imagine, it is not the most helpful experience after the theft. Will check if they are accredited by BBB and if the issue will not be resolved in the next week, will place complaint there.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Huge scam. They did not cover the issue with our two-year-old oven. Don't waste your money. After spending a ridiculous length of time on the phone, I was denied transfer to a manager to appeal their decision not to cover. I planned to submit my request via e-mail, but that contact information is not available.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have a service contract with Assurant on my washer and dryer. I called them a few days ago and they gave me an appointment to check out a leak in my washer. The appointment was today sometime between 8 a.m. and noon. I received a call at 10:26 confirming this. At 11:22 I called the repair service to check why they hadn’t arrived yet. The serviceman told me that his business doesn’t even open until 9:30 a.m. (so why did I get up at 6 to be ready for him by 8?) Furthermore, Assurant apparently doesn’t confirm that appointment time with the provider, they just send a work order and wash their hands of the whole thing. “Rake in the money and provide nothing” must be their company motto.

So now I am waiting until the provider has a time when he can come, hopefully at least today. I have tried to reach a customer service rep for Assurant, but all calls are routed to the Philippines, with no way to reach anyone with any authority or status, or anyone in the good old U.S. I would not recommend Assurant to anyone who actually thinks they might want service on their appliance. Stick with a local appliance dealer who provides their own service contract. The big box stores sell your contract to Assurant, and you are in trouble when you need a repair.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have a Vancity visa. I tried to use the insurance coverage, got damaged baggage and called them. The operator, Nadia said it is different department (but it wasn’t) forward me to somewhere else and no one picked up the phone for more than 40 minutes. I called back and again, Nadia answered me. She refused and told me to call flight company! She had never listened to me and kept talking over me aggressively. It’s just horrible.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Our washing machine broke almost 2 months ago so we started the process of having a repair person come out under the Assurant coverage. The initial set up took over a week to get the first visit. The process is the claim is entered and takes about 3 days to get approved. That gives the green light to send someone out, which still needs to be scheduled, adding another 2-3 days. The repair shops that are used by Assurant are not very good and have very low ratings. The first technician that was sent out couldn't fix after 4 attempts. The last scheduled visit he didn't even show up - without letting us know. This was a waste of over a month. The second repair place has been out once and says we need to order some parts.

Assurant has sit on this claim for over 2 weeks and won't complete the request for parts needed. Every time we call them, which takes 30 minutes, they have to forward to a different department for approval. This takes a few days. Honestly we should have gotten a replacement washing machine by now. Knowing this, I would have saved the time, money and headache of doing our laundry at the coin-op and hired a reputable repair person myself and had it done in a week.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We purchased our first home and within months the dishwasher broke down. We called a repair service who recommended we purchase an extended warranty program through Assurant, it seemed like a fantastic program so we purchased the five year plan. This week my dishwasher flooded my kitchen. We called Assurant, got a service confirmation for 48 hours later. The day of the repair I call the service company who has no record of the repair, I call Assurant who commits to getting it taken care of on the day they promised and they would call me back. Long story short, no callback. I call back two hours later for a follow up and am basically told by a supervisor, "Sorry, the repair people are busy until next year so we need to find someone else."

They scheduled the repair for next week which is now over a week I am without a dishwasher with a baby in the home. That's not the most disgusting part. I called the original service company, you know the one that was booked until next year. They have an available appointment on Monday. So not only does Assurant not know how to do their jobs, they don't follow up, don't follow hey and then LIE. I wish I could get my money back and find someone else altogether. I truly despise this company and DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have been waiting for Assurant to find a vendor for 1 1/2 weeks to fix my freezer. The call center rep said they had no vendor in my area (Asheville, NC) yet the vendor that is now scheduled said they had never been contacted. It has been time consuming trying to get an answer, and get anyone to take responsibility. The reps who answer the phone have no idea how to handle a problem and I had to INSIST to talk to a supervisor. They are not empowered to do anything, so I insisted on escalating to consumer relations (Jessica) and asked to deal with one person till I have resolution. They won't accommodate that. I have no confidence in this company and the reviews demonstrate VERY LOW customer satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We are a vendor who went to one warranty service call for this company. It has been a month since we submitted our invoice and we have been receiving the run-around from all parties who answer the phone when we inquire about payment. Each time we call, they extend the payment processing another 5-7 business days. We do not understand where the disconnect is, but we should have heeded the warning from another company we partner with, who also experienced the same situation with this business. If you are a service vendor considering doing business with them, please think twice before signing an agreement.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have not had a working refrigerator for 5 months. Assurant sent GE Factory Service repair and after more than 20 visits, they declared the refrigerator unfixable. Assurant owes me a payout on this unit but says that the part that is needed, which is no longer available, is not their responsibility to replace. Plus they claim they old me nothing on my contract. This is a huge scam; do not buy this appliance insurance. It is expensive and they do not deliver on their promises.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My dishwasher stopped working on October 2, 2018. Called Assurant who scheduled a repair with G & A Appliance Repair Service for 10-4. No call and no show for G & A. Called Assurant who also could not get in touch with G & A. They scheduled a new appt with Audio Video Repair, Inc. for 10-8. Audio Video came on 10-9 and told us it needed parts and sent a report to Assurant on 10-11. It is now 10-22-18 and we are still waiting for Assurant to authorize the repair. Assurant has delayed authorization saying that it was in claims, then in special claims, and the last excuse was that they were waiting to speak to the service technician. When you call, you may be on hold for anywhere from 5 to 41 minutes. To add insult to injury they just put in their monthly fee to be automatically paid from my account. Meanwhile I am 20 days out with no repair in sight.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Paid $210 for a warranty and MC Appliance was supposed to come out one day. Didn't show up. Then they tried again, and didn't show up. Finally, guy came about 1 hour late the next week and walked in and out. Said there's silicone around cooktop. Can't help. Then sent photos after we removed cooktop from socket to show all silicone removed. Norman and Nederia from Assurant Solutions said they needed more photos but I would get a call. I am still waiting for call I was promised earlier in week. Stay away from this company. They took our $ but no service. Now I need to get Maryland Attorney general involved. MC Appliance - Rico - horrible - had me empty drawer to check stove, and then walked out without helping.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

DO NOT BUY AN ASSURANT PLAN. In my opinion, they are nothing more than a scam company. I bought an extended warranty on an auto part purchased on eBay. The part failed and I wanted a refund per the insurance agreement. If you want to talk to someone about a claim, GOOD LUCK. They do not answer emails nor can I find a phone number to talk to someone. I am out the $120 for the insurance payment along with the $950 dollars for the part!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

They deserve Zero starts but wasn't an option. They sell you on a great insurance product but don't deliver when needed. Avoid at all costs, waste of money. When it comes time to needing them they take a few days to send out a service company that don't show up so now you are without an appliance for several days. They then say they will find a new company to service where the same thing happens. Now you don't have use of your appliance for another few days with zero communication. Finally had someone come and evaluate the oven and they said it needs a part that they need to get approval to order which takes two days to get approval then another 4-6 business days to receive. It has been now two weeks and still no communication and still no oven. Insurance people are absolutely unhelpful and vendors couldn't care less. You are stuck - paid for insurance but get nothing out of it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

They sent new plan 5 months in advance. Now there is a deductible: I have many appliances covered with them and NO deductibles. I was told in the past with a renewal I would not have to pay a deductible if it was not on the original contract. Agent stated that nowhere on my past plans does it state I called about the deductible the last time I renewed. The new papers they sent clearly state renewal! The deductible is in very small and light print. Agent also claimed it is a new contract and not a renewal. Also they never have the parts with the service contractors and it takes several visits for a repair even when it is the refrigerator. I understand that they cannot carry every part for every appliance but they should be able to get the new replacement parts faster.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchased the warranty for appliances in two locations from Assurant, first of all in one location the washer broke & tenet was living there, Assurant didn’t repair it since the model number sticker wasn’t attached on the washer, called the maker of washer they emailed me the model #, but Assurant didn’t accept it, the tent has no washer for the whole month since we were waiting for them to make decision, finally we bought a new one.

The other location that we live in & have appliances warranty from Assurant. I purchased it for 5 years made payments I was never told that they didn’t receive the last payment (the 12th payment) since my card was lost & had to cancel it, when I called for service for washer I was told, "Your contact act has been cancelled, because you didn’t make your last payment, we sent you a letter in 2014 that your last payment is due." Now is 2018 & I don’t even recall I received this letter, 4 years after they telling me, "We can’t service it because you didn’t pay the last payment." Very good customer service, if I want repair I need to purchase another 5 years plan from them for much more than what I did before. Who can call this company very good warranty service.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Refrigerator not working. Assigned us to a Mobile phone and a truck in a town an hour away from our metropolitan area of 350,000 people in upstate SC. Serviceman had mobile phone with rap music on answering machine and full voice mail. Finally answered and said he would be here yesterday in afternoon. He did not show up. Assurant assigned us a new case number and said 2-3 day wait. All food now spoiled. Assurant phone center in Manila Philippines could care less! $600 dollar policy worthless.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Purchased a LG front load washer from Home Depot, bought the extended warranty, July 9, 2018, machine wouldn't drain properly, smoking during spin cycle, called Assurant, sent repairman out, ordered parts, came back out second time, replaced some parts, another part was sent wrong size, waited for him to come back out, after a week, he wouldn't return phone call. Called Assurant, they tried to call, same thing, no answer, finally got hold of him, he stated it was a two man job, he was only one person (drum was burnt up). He couldn't do it by himself. Called Assurant, they sent another repairman out, he called Assurant, told them the machine was too expensive to fix, give replacement card to get another machine from Home Depot, now Assurant wants the ORIGINAL receipt from us, that we did purchase the machine drum has 10 warranty, but have to have the ORGINAL receipt before they will do any more work.

Here it is Sept 6, I still don't have a washing machine. Called Home Depot, they are sending me the receipt! Going to HOLD out and make them fix it, even if it costs more than machine was originally! I would RUN from this company, we are contacting Judge Judy to go on TV, to get a NEW machine. I've read the reviews, I'M not the only that this company was ripped off.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

When we bought the extended warranty on our GE Profile Range we were not given a choice of third-party vendor, so we're stuck with Assurant. We live in this house half the year and most of that time use the range's cooktop but not so much the oven as we're grilling outdoors a lot. Last year I went to use the self-clean feature for the first time, and the range gave a digital error message. Upon calling for service a tech was sent about 10 days later, and he said he needed a part. He ordered the part and when it came, I called again. A different tech came out and said it wasn't the right part, and he'd order another part that would require 2 techs to replace (a valve for the gas shut-off, I believe).

That part came a few weeks later but the vendor claimed they couldn't fit us in before we left for several months, although I had been telling them all along that we'd be leaving. Now we're back and I've called, left a voicemail (nobody ever answers the phone), and have a sneaking suspicion I'll be starting from square one all over again. Waiting since December, it's now September. Assurant is assuredly and woefully inadequate for reliable coverage.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I had issues with my GE fridge and reported the issue to Service Protection Advantage on July 23rd, who forwarded my ticket to a local repair shop called "Mastertex Appliance Repairs, LLC". The repair shop sent someone to diagnose the issue on July 25th and he said that some parts need to be replaced. He placed an order for those parts that same day and said it could take up to 2 weeks to get those parts. Now it has been 5 weeks since that repair guy had come, and I have followed up many times with both - Service Protection Advantage as well as Mastertex Appliance Repair, but neither of them have been able to give me an estimated date for repair. So I am sitting here without a fridge in Houston summer and 6 dependents (parents, wife, and 3 kids).

I asked Service Protection Advantage if they can just reimburse me for the appliance so I can move on and buy a new fridge and be done with this issue. However, their response is that I need to wait until the parts are received (for which no one can give me an estimated date) and the service technician tries to fix the issue. I have tried to escalate this issue too, but am told that this is just how it works. So I am looking at another few weeks to maybe months of just waiting for the parts and hope the company decides at some point of time to just move on. Any help or guidance on how to get this issue fixed sooner will be greatly appreciated.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information