3.2/5 (72 ratings)

About Assurant Service Protection Advantage

Assurant is an appliance protection program with low deductibles and a short waiting period. Assurant’s plans cover a variety of home appliances, and you can create coverage based on your products and the types of damage you want covered.

Pros

• Transferable coverage
  • Monthly payment options
  • Short waiting period
  • Low deductibles

Cons

• Varying costs
  • No upfront pricing

Bottom Line

Assurant offers a transferable appliance protection program with low deductibles and short waiting periods. Although Assurant’s costs vary greatly, its payment plans can help make coverage more affordable.

Top Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Verified

Your service was right on. The time frame was quick and easy. The warranty procedure was not complicated. The phone service was spot on! Very pleasant person to understand and tal...

Verified

Highly recommended, Would recommend to a friend. Website was very user friendly. Looking forward to visit again sooner than later. Wish I could give ten stars instead of 5 stars. ...

What is Assurant service protection?

Assurant’s service protection is an appliance warranty program you can purchase for appliances when buying a home. It extends the life of a manufacturer’s warranty, covering functional parts and labor after the warranty expires.

With Assurant service protection, 100% of functional parts and labor are covered if you submit a claim. This does not cover problems due to random acts of nature, cosmetic damages or issues caused by power outages. All services are completed by reputable technicians, and plans can be transferred to a new owner if you move before your protection is up.

How does Assurant service protection work?

With Assurant service protection, homeowners create a plan centered on which appliances they want covered — typical selections include stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and TVs. You can choose to cover up to nine appliances with one plan, though your products must be no more than 15 years old.

After choosing your plan, you can sign up for coverage that's effective within 48 hours if the product is under manufacturer's warranty or 30 days if it isn't. Then, in the case of an appliance malfunction, you file a claim and wait to receive care from Assurant’s network of authorized specialists.

Assurant service protection costs

The price of an Assurant service protection plan varies based on a few factors, including where you’re located, the product type and brand and when your appliances were installed. For example, a three-year plan for a side-by-side GE refrigerator installed in July 2020 in Kansas City costs $402.33, while a Frigidaire dishwasher installed at the same time in the same city runs $218.85 for a three-year plan.

You can save on the overall cost by purchasing more years of coverage. Assurant also offers the option to pay in four installments. Its plans include a $50 deductible.

Assurant service protection FAQ

Is there a waiting period for Assurant service protection?
If your product is still under warranty, your appliances can be covered in under 48 hours. If your product is no longer covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty or your service contract has expired, your new plan will start 30 days after purchase.
What systems does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers all functional parts and labor costs if a protected item fails. Products available for coverage include refrigerators, small kitchen appliances, microwaves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, freezers, ovens, ranges and cooktops less than 15 years old and TVs less than 10 years old.
Is Assurant service protection available everywhere?
According to the website, Assurant has a vast network of technicians, so service should be offered widely. If no technicians are available in your area, you can ask for a refund.

Is Assurant service protection worth it?

Assurant is a well-known name in the insurance industry, and its service protection program could help you save money on repairs. With multiple coverage options, plus protection for up to nine appliances, it’s simple to tailor a plan to each homeowner. While upfront pricing isn’t available on its site, its quote tool lets customers calculate expected costs in their area. And, with little to no waiting period for coverage for most products, Assurant offers faster protection than many other options.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

1 featured review

Original review: May 9, 2022

When I went to the Assurant site, the process of scheduling and describing the problem with my refrigerator went swiftly. I had no problem filling in the information requested and the scheduling process for repair went quickly. I am presently awaiting the repair call from Assurant's repair department indicating what time the repair person will arrive at my home,

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thank you for sharing your review with us, Allan. In the event you need assistance with this claim, feel free to send us a private message.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

The web site works well but with longer than expected service response time. Food in the fridge is starting to smell rotten and the fridge is needed daily is especially needed working during a time of eating mostly at home.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Bradley. In the event you still need assistance, please check the private message we've sent.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2021

I bought a Bauer pole saw and had used it a few times. I was cutting some limbs on a small tree and it was working perfectly and I really enjoy the tool. I set it down for a minute to move some branches. Fix it up to use it and it just stopped working. Could not figure it out and I knew I had a fresh battery in it so I was concerned if I got the protection plan or not. When I got to Harbor Freight they said yes I had purchased it and that is because they always are courteous and ask me if I would like to purchase it. After that the exchange for new product was no problem. Just took a few minutes and I was on my way with my new pole saw with a new protection plan on it for 2 years.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thanks for sharing your review with us, Fred. We're happy to hear you're pleased with our services.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

Susan was very professional and nice to work with. No Predator motor in stock. I’m 120 miles from Billings. Will have to return to get a new one. That’s 480 miles round trip twice. While there I bought 2 more items I like Harbor Freight motor for my trencher. This will be 4th motor including original Robbie rec. warranty.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any questions about the process, please check the private message we've sent.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

The process was somewhat lengthy and time consuming, but hope it will be worthwhile. I hope that emphasis can be shifted by some manufacturers away from designing less expensive consumer items (sometimes called "programmed obsolescence", i.e., fail soon as warranty runs out, or even before and cannot be redeemed/replaced easily), to providing durable safe products at reasonable cost, that will last much longer, hence helping to improve environment, reduce climate change, make better use of limited power/water resources, etc. Even manufacturers of larger items, like autos, refrigerators, washers, air conditioners, home building products, etc. may have to would need to consider making things last longer.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Kenneth - We are sorry to hear about the delay with your case but glad to hear you feel it's worthwhile. Your feedback has been documented. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: May 16, 2022

I scheduled an appointment online, but no one appeared and, when I called the automated voice said it had no record of an open service call. It is very convenient to set up a service call, but when nothing comes of it is quite a disappointment.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We're sorry to hear that. For help, please check the private message we've sent.

Original review: May 13, 2022

Expected warranty service plan to be for repair service for dehumidifier purchased on 8/20/2020 that has stopped working. Service was not scheduled. A check for an unknown amount is to be sent. GE Dehumidifier with pump cost $299.00, after tax $328.15. This dehumidifier was well maintained and location was unchanged.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We appreciate your insight about this experience, Mary. If you still need assistance, please send us a private message.

Original review: May 8, 2022

Exchange was fast and without questions, I didn't remember if I bought the replacement plan so they looked it up for me in the store using my phone number, after that they replaced my compressor with a new one they had in stock.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Glad we could help! Thanks, Bruno.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: April 25, 2022

Useless extended warranty services! My refrigerator is out since 6 months, I called in October in 2021 and they came and changed the part in February 2022 and asked me to turn on the refrigerator after 24 hours. I turned it on the next day with the same problem. I called the warranty again and first they said the case is closed and open a new case with Nebraska. I opened it again and since then they don't even know what they are doing. It's been over 2 months and I called them and after waiting for over an hour for them to find my case, they said that we sent the request and someone will call you in 48 hours. The 2 weeks passed and nobody called. I called again and they repeated the same story.

I called again and again and request them to let me talk to the supervisor, and they said that's not their policy. I finally got a hold of the supervisor after begging for an hour and he said to go to the service provider. I called the service provider and he said that I am driving on the highway and will call you later today but like always he never called. I tried to call him the next day but no answer. It's been almost 6 months and my refrigerator is not fixed and they are saying that they don't know how long will it take more. Do not pay these useless people for extended warranty.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We apologize for the issue you're facing, Abdul. For assistance with this case, please check the private message we've sent.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Water filter will not come out. Filling out the claim was easy and straightforward. Able to set up a time in just a few days for repairman to to come to house. It didn't take much time to complete the request. Given I am a senior citizen and not real adept at using a computer, the processes was easy.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Charles - Thank you for sharing your review with us.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information