3.0/5 (96 ratings)

About Assurant Service Protection Advantage

Assurant is an appliance protection program with low deductibles and a short waiting period. Assurant’s plans cover a variety of home appliances, and you can create coverage based on your products and the types of damage you want covered.

Pros

• Transferable coverage
  • Monthly payment options
  • Short waiting period
  • Low deductibles

Cons

• Varying costs
  • No upfront pricing

Bottom Line

Assurant offers a transferable appliance protection program with low deductibles and short waiting periods. Although Assurant’s costs vary greatly, its payment plans can help make coverage more affordable.

Top Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Assurant Service Protection Advantage?

Verified

Your service was right on. The time frame was quick and easy. The warranty procedure was not complicated. The phone service was spot on! Very pleasant person to understand and tal...

Verified

Highly recommended, Would recommend to a friend. Website was very user friendly. Looking forward to visit again sooner than later. Wish I could give ten stars instead of 5 stars. ...

What is Assurant service protection?

Assurant’s service protection is an appliance warranty program you can purchase for appliances when buying a home. It extends the life of a manufacturer’s warranty, covering functional parts and labor after the warranty expires.

With Assurant service protection, 100% of functional parts and labor are covered if you submit a claim. This does not cover problems due to random acts of nature, cosmetic damages or issues caused by power outages. All services are completed by reputable technicians, and plans can be transferred to a new owner if you move before your protection is up.

How does Assurant service protection work?

With Assurant service protection, homeowners create a plan centered on which appliances they want covered — typical selections include stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and TVs. You can choose to cover up to nine appliances with one plan, though your products must be no more than 15 years old.

After choosing your plan, you can sign up for coverage that's effective within 48 hours if the product is under manufacturer's warranty or 30 days if it isn't. Then, in the case of an appliance malfunction, you file a claim and wait to receive care from Assurant’s network of authorized specialists.

Assurant service protection costs

The price of an Assurant service protection plan varies based on a few factors, including where you’re located, the product type and brand and when your appliances were installed. For example, a three-year plan for a side-by-side GE refrigerator installed in July 2020 in Kansas City costs $402.33, while a Frigidaire dishwasher installed at the same time in the same city runs $218.85 for a three-year plan.

You can save on the overall cost by purchasing more years of coverage. Assurant also offers the option to pay in four installments. Its plans include a $50 deductible.

Assurant service protection FAQ

Is there a waiting period for Assurant service protection?
If your product is still under warranty, your appliances can be covered in under 48 hours. If your product is no longer covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty or your service contract has expired, your new plan will start 30 days after purchase.
What systems does Assurant cover?
Assurant covers all functional parts and labor costs if a protected item fails. Products available for coverage include refrigerators, small kitchen appliances, microwaves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, freezers, ovens, ranges and cooktops less than 15 years old and TVs less than 10 years old.
Is Assurant service protection available everywhere?
According to the website, Assurant has a vast network of technicians, so service should be offered widely. If no technicians are available in your area, you can ask for a refund.

Is Assurant service protection worth it?

Assurant is a well-known name in the insurance industry, and its service protection program could help you save money on repairs. With multiple coverage options, plus protection for up to nine appliances, it’s simple to tailor a plan to each homeowner. While upfront pricing isn’t available on its site, its quote tool lets customers calculate expected costs in their area. And, with little to no waiting period for coverage for most products, Assurant offers faster protection than many other options.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Reviews

1 featured review

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

The process was somewhat lengthy and time consuming, but hope it will be worthwhile. I hope that emphasis can be shifted by some manufacturers away from designing less expensive consumer items (sometimes called "programmed obsolescence", i.e., fail soon as warranty runs out, or even before and cannot be redeemed/replaced easily), to providing durable safe products at reasonable cost, that will last much longer, hence helping to improve environment, reduce climate change, make better use of limited power/water resources, etc. Even manufacturers of larger items, like autos, refrigerators, washers, air conditioners, home building products, etc. may have to would need to consider making things last longer.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Kenneth - We are sorry to hear about the delay with your case but glad to hear you feel it's worthwhile. Your feedback has been documented. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2021

Quick and easy to schedule service, very satisfied with the time it took me to schedule the service and how simple it was. I hope the scheduled appointment goes as well as the time it took me to schedule the service call.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Keith - We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Original review: March 21, 2021

In this case, damage was due to someone locking key inside safe. So I didn't mind the fact that I used my "1 year replacement warranty" up and I no longer can use this insurance policy. I have a flashlight that breaks too easily and I should not have to buy another policy every time it needs replacement-it was obviously is cheaply made-switch wears out immediately. That one is a tipoff. This made sense.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Heather, we would like to understand your feedback. A private message was sent you with further details.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I can't express enough how much this replacement was well worth it. Not a lot of people think it's worth it to add a protection. But I do because it can be done in store when the replacement item is available. & It can also add a new replacement to reach item without having to purchase another item at retail price. So to get another item for the price of the replacement saves on a lot of money when you need the item & don't have $229 every single time you burn it up. I'm glad Harbor Freight offers this plan.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Glad to hear you are pleased with the coverage. Thank you for this awesome feedback.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

When I brought my saw in for warranty, the store clerk checked for my warranty upon entering. I was able to get a new saw and have the warranty processed easily and with a smile from Emily the cashier. She was very efficient at getting my info verified and the paperwork filled out. My Wife and I were very impressed as it was so easy. I purchased another warranty for the new saw because the process was so easy and Emily was very nice through the whole process. Very impressed with her customer service skills and positive personality, Quite rare to find lately! Thank you for a great service product!

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Justin, glad to hear you enjoyed the service! Thank you for the feedback!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Warranty replacement was efficient and hassle free! The warehouse person assisted me in loading the replacement after unloading the old unit. The area was impacted by a hurricane and even with damage to his property, he was enthusiastic.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Greg, we are happy to hear you had a hassle-free experience. Thank you for the review.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

We purchased this GE Refrigerator 8/2017. Since 7/2019 we have had FOURTEEN service calls/repairs. They have replaced the freezer fan, the refrigerator fan, the thermistor, the main computer board, drain line, housing cover for refrigerator fan and freezer fan, ALL 2-3 times each. We have dealt with water leaking all over our floors, food freezing in the refrigerator and then thawing and having to be thrown out, extremely loud noises (which we took video of and showed the tech multiple times), and the water on the door not working after they left. GE says it's reparable because they can put a part in that will fix it for a few weeks. Then the cycle starts again. Because GE doesn't deem it as a defective product, Assurant will not rectify the situation.

GE says Assurant should see all these repairs and buy out the contract or give cash value for the refrigerator. The GE Technician even feels there is something wrong and says he has NEVER seen this many issues before that keep happening over and over again. GE and Assurant do both agree that 14 service calls in 2 years is excessive. Yet no one will rectify this situation.

I will NEVER buy another GE product, nor will I ever recommend Assurant for anything. All we have gotten is the run around from both pointing us back to the other. There have been numerous losses in food cost, lost wages from missing work for the service calls, and it's not something we look forward to having a tech in our house all the time during Covid issues. This is absolutely the worst customer service from both Companies (GE and Assurant). Please save yourself the hassle and do NOT go with either Companies for your needs.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We are sorry to hear about your experience. A private message was sent to you asking for further details.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Bosch sells an extended warranty. Nowhere on the warranty form or page you fill out does it state they outsource to this worthless company. I've been attempting to get service for a broken dishwasher for 7 days now. The stereotypical outsourced support people in their unique form of English assured me someone would call. 1 to 3 days they stated. Well 6 days later and multiple calls to God knows who and still no response. Finally after my wife contacted them, they decided to email us the option to have local service come out and they would review and POSSIBLY pay the claim, only then did I find out I had purchased my Bosch Extended Warranty from a two bit company. I'm mad at Bosch for the deception and myself for not finding out they outsourced, since I'm familiar with scam companies like this. All I can say is, we're starting the process of suing Bosch to return our money for the extended warranty since it's worthless.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Hi Joseph, we are sorry to hear about your case and would like to see if we can help. We sent you a private message asking for further details.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

This was an incredibly easy process. I am completely satisfied! I would gladly purchase a protection plan again with this company. I expected a big hassle, but am very happy with the response to our claim.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

Timothy - Happy we were able to help! Thank you for the review.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Difficult or impossible to speak with a human that can help at this "service company" when problems arise! Fully automated customer service seems out of place when I have purchased appliance insurance in excess of $1200!

Assurant Service Protection Advantage response

We value your feedback and apologize for any issues you may have encountered. If you still need assistance with a claim, please refer to your private messages.

Assurant Service Protection Advantage Company Information