Service Protection Advantage

Compare Home Warranties, Service Plans

Research top Home Warranties, Service Plans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My refrigerator, broke and I was with no refrigerator for more than one month, having them trying to fix for 4 times and they don't want to give me a replacement option as they still want to fix a 2004 refrigerator and having it break down and not paying for my spoil food and making me wait for the parts. Afraid from getting sick, I can't eat at home and lost a lot of money on food, they still don't want to give me a replacement cost and want me to still be with a broken refrigerator which is a delicate appliance to play with as is food that can spoil and we eat it. Being a customer since 2006 and having other appliance with this plan now, I will cancel all and use another company, as they know the situation, they still want me to wait and be with no refrigerator working, I want to get my replacement cost that I'm entitled.

I have been paying this company for at least 7 years to keep my washer insured. I have maybe used them one time. This second time, the tech that was sent took literally 5 minutes and said it was the motor. Took another week to come install the motor. Then said it needed more parts. Took another week to "order the parts". Then I get an email saying that the total of the parts was more than what it cost to replace the washer therefore they would just replace it. I thought ok good. Then I continued reading the email. They said due to depreciation, I was only going to get $101 dollars since the washer was so old! REALLY??

I have been paying for years and not once have they said "you know what, the washer is old so we won't pay you anything if it completely breaks down so I will stop taking your money". They just kept taking it for years and I have calculated I have probably paid them over $1500 but they can't replace a $400 washer. Not to mention according to them, the washer cost $398 but at Home Depot the price is $549. WOW, never again! Big time rip off! If I could give them 0 stars, I would!

SVC company staff do NOT document, do NOT follow procedures, do NOT return customers calls, & transfer you from one department to another. It has been a waste of our time & money (which I knew it would be but my spouse insisted we insure our appliances). We paid the warranty in full, after a couple months, our Kenmore clothing washer started to spot my clothing with rust.

I opened a case and it was a disaster to say the least!!! We had the runaround from SVC protection and Paul's Appliance Service (who is a local service provider) was just the same. We escalated this issue to the "second level" customer relations representative. I'm now in the process of canceling my warranty and getting a FULL REFUND, not 90%, minus this... Minus that... I have had ZERO claims with them!

We purchased an extended warranty for a GE refrigerator and a GE dishwasher. Two years later we called for service on the refrigerator. They said the contract was canceled for missing the final payment. We did not. We got the canceled check from our bank and faxed it per the instructions from the representative. After multiple calls, no one would acknowledge receiving the fax. After the third call, we demanded to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor gave us a new "direct" fax number. We sent the canceled check again. Finally got through to an automated "customer service" line. The computer voice said to take everything out of the refrigerator, read the owner's manual and call back. REALLY? From start to finish (when we gave up) this drama has been playing for nearly two weeks as the refrigerator struggles to maintain 45-50 degrees. The freezer still works. We will consult an attorney tomorrow.

This company hires third party contractors to do repairs, in our experience they provide a poor service. Scheduling the techs is time-consuming and you don't even get a call when they decide not to show up. I put in a service request mid July for a Bosch washer - door not locking. First scheduled date July 18, tech did not showed up. On or about July 30, first tech came and glued the locking door mechanisms, this did not solve the problem. Called again, second tech came mid-August and says he would submit his findings to the warranty company. We called for follow up numerous times only to be told "we will call you by the end of the day, tech still working on your case."

Sep 21, I called again to Assurant's third party contractor and I get very demanding for an answer. The woman on the phone puts a guy on the phone who tells me to call my warranty company and hanged up the phone. So, I called Assurant, I spent almost an hour with the supervisor and given the poor service we received from the tech/repair guy. She agrees to start from scratch by assigning us a new third party contractor to send a Bosch-certified tech (who never made it to my house). Sep 23, I get an email telling me "the reported loss/damage to your product is the result of misuse/abuse. This type of loss/damage is not covered". So, it only took them 9 weeks to arrive to this conclusion. What a waste of time and money. This company is totally unreliable, unresponsive and disrespectful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Service Protection Advantage?

Less than two years into our extended warranty coverage, we submitted a claim to Assurant (AKA Service Protection Advantage and Federal Warranty Service Corporation) re: our Viking Refrigerator that was less than 5 yrs. old. (Note: we purchased extended warranty for full Viking kitchen of all built-in appliances). When their service repairman arrived, we were told he would not pull-out built-ins, so we had to arrange for installer to make trip to pull-out. On second trip, service repairman told us within minutes that it was "irreparable" and they would submit paperwork to Assurant for replacement. It must also be noted that all of the service repair groups sent out by Assurant were subcontracted and not Assurant employees.

For approximately two months, our refrigerator sat in the middle of our kitchen while Assurant delayed the process asking for more documentation, another opinion from a different service repair group, etc. We would receive a call about every other week (each time a different Assurant representative) letting us know they were waiting on some information from another department within their organization. We were told many times that they would continue to follow-up. About six weeks into the claim, we were told they had the report and would submit for "cash out". Two weeks later, we received call that claim had been denied due to "rust" on back of refrigerator--NOTE: rust was a result of refrigeration leak/defect and not the cause of problem. Assurant refused to provide any written documentation of their final decision, even though we requested this.

Needless to say, our experience with Assurant (AKA Service Protection Advantage and Federal Warranty Service Corporation) has been terrible. It became very obvious, thru this experience, that Assurant's intent was to drag this out as long as possible and find the best excuse not to honor their service contract. This corporation appears to be in business to take people's money and to provide no customer satisfaction or help. This is apparent since they refuse written documentation for their actions so they cannot be held responsible. We urge anyone who considers purchasing an extended warranty to look elsewhere.

My refrigerator which was purchased in 2011 and has been under Conn's warranty program ever since. In May the ice maker quit working and I contacted Conn’s customer service department to get it repaired. I will not go thru all the excuses for not getting it repaired and all the call backs I was supposed to get within 2 days, which never occurred, but I have them annotated. The latest and last excuse I was given is as follows: my refrigerator is now considered by Conn's to be obsolete (2011 model) and no replacement parts are available, so they are going to give me a nominal amount for my refrigerator to apply to purchasing a new one. This company has treated me as if I am a idiot. I will be filing with BBB.

We have had a top of the line GE bottom freezer for 11 years. We purchased the extended warranty and it has been a blessing. We have had 12 or 13 repairs and everyone was timely and done to our satisfaction. As you can see from the number of incidents, we purchased a lemon. Found out GE didn't make bottom freezers at the time. It was built by Samsung. We have NEVER waited more than 4 days to be scheduled. Often the next day after the call. Have found them to be extremely courteous and prompt.

Samsung Washer was leaking out of the front right corner. Wife called Samsung for service. Wife was offered a "Rescue Repair" and service plan for $355.27. At first, she declined. Wife purchased the service plan after "Brian" promised that if they couldn't fix the washer, they would issue a check to replace it. This was Lie # 1. Besecker & Coss Service of Olean, NY (716) 372-0565 was dispatched:

First trip: "Bad sensor" replaced sensor and also scratched floor and damaged wall panel, then unplugged our freezer and left it unplugged, which we discovered several hours after he left - the leaking problem recurred.
Second trip: "Bad computer" replaced computer.
Third Trip: "Bad drain hose" replaced hose.
At five weeks she had ANOTHER service apt, but it was a "no-show".

At six weeks we still have a leaky washing machine, PLUS now we have scratches in our floor, and a damaged wall panel to boot!

The "good news" is that they admitted they couldn't find anyone to fix it - the "bad news" they refuse to make good on their replacement promise, and instead "credited" her credit card for the $355.27. I feel so good about this: The washing machine still leaks across the floor, but on the bright side: My utility room floor is always clean, and I get to build a new wall panel for my water pipes! Yay! I've got a project! They did "credit" her for the $355.27 - but somehow this doesn't make me feel any better about Assurant Service Protection Plan.

This company continued to charge me for months after I cancelled the service. When I called they said they had no record of the charges. I had to block them on with my credit card company.

I called for repair on my appliances (range and washer). I was told that they were unrepairable. I was offered 129 for washer and 179.00 for range. When I purchased these items I was told that if unrepairable they would be replaced. Well Assurance bought them out and they said after 11 years they are given 26% towards replacement. I think this is one of the biggest ripoff. Their customer service dept ladies are very rude and talk to you like you don't matter. I will be cancelling this service. I always received excellent service until they decided to use this company Rip Off Assurance.

Called for service around Thanksgiving 2015. Made appt. No one showed up. Called back and called repairman. He told me he does not let them set his schedule. He will call back. Three weeks later no appt. Called again, he was too busy. January I called Service Protection Advantage. Told them I want someone else. Called another company and said they would be there on Wednesday. It is Feb. 27 no repairman. Sorry service.

Paid for extended warranty for peace of mind... Big mistake!! AG Appliance was sent out after they cancelled on me twice. They spent 5 minutes telling me they were just there to EVALUATE the issues. I never got a call from AG or SPA. I finally called them. They CANCELLED my claim. AG said there was nothing wrong with my washer... It was spinning so loud, neighbors could hear it. If they had actually looked at the machine they would have known there is a loose bearing in the machine... I am currently waiting a response to my request for a cancellation and refund on my warranty from SPA. Never again.

Different names/both scams. You pay a service fee to give you peace of mind but all you get are more headaches. On October 7th put in a request for repair of a dish washing machine. 2 months later we are still waiting for the guy saying that he had to wait for some "parts". When we began making a stink up the corporate ladder he miraculously received the part and made an appointment for NOV 24th. He didn't show up so we called him. He claimed he didn't show up because one of the parts received was broken (A phone call would have been nice?). Bad Customer Service, Bad response time (if any), all lies.

Folks, we had Service Protection Advantage for our fridge protection. When we moved away from the US we cancelled the service via fax. They claim they didn't get it. So fax it again, same spiel! Now after 6 month again the same spiel. The service personnel are nice but just point you to their Terms and Condition. As long as they don't get confirmation they will keep billing you! So learn, use either a courier to hand-deliver the cancellation or even better, stay away from them! A total scam imho!

Don't waste your money for this company. It's a horrible and cheating company. When you buy the insurance, if you have any issue need repairing, normally they will sent a guy from third party to your home at least one week. Then when they come to your home just 5 minute maybe the guy will tell you need replace part. After that you will wait more than one month. When they come back again, there will be the new issue comes out. The worst case they will tell you it was not repairable and they will terminate your contract and return few money which can't coverage repair cost if you find another guy to fix it.

Do not waste your time or money with this company. They are a fraud. Have a GE washer and dryer under protections with Lowe's currently (BEST SERVICE EVER) and the protection plan is expiring soon and I was not sure if I could pay to have it extended. I had a problem with my dryer. Called this company. Was told there was no provider showing up in their system, schedule my own appointment, pay for it, after paying them monthly and they would reimburse me. I asked to have this fraud service cancelled and my money returned back to me. I checked my account and they have STOLEN $30.. Pay two months refunded one month and $12 dollars for the second month. The nerve to steal my money after providing customer service, sending out fraudulent information. Do NOT go with this company.

My dishwasher went on the blink August 5. Since I have washer, dryer, stove and refrigerator on the policy, I guess I should be grateful the dishwasher is something I can live without, though I'd rather not! First they said a technician would contact me and gave me his number. He didn't call, so I called him a call a couple days after getting the information. Then he was going to come over last Sunday. I waited three hours, he never called to cancel the appointment, I called him 3 times without response. On Monday I called the company and they said they would contact me when they had a service person available in my area, probably by the end of this week. I live in NYC and there are thousands of service people available. They also said I could pay for my own repair and be reimbursed up to $150. A service call from Miele starts at $200 without the items needed to repair the machine.

I am gun shy to continue paying this insurance which costs me a little over $200 a month AND pay for repairs which now I question would ever be reimbursed by them. The first Service Protection Advantage case worker I spoke with told me I didn't have insurance on the dishwasher, then when he realized I did, he wanted the serial number even though it is in the records and I had given him both my policy numbers. I am frightened to give them another cent and think the company is a fraud. Spending time and money to get them in court seems like a major headache. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL BE SORRY.

After 4 service calls and the service representative stating the unit as unrepairable, I was informed the replacement would have to come from Kitchenaid. After a call from Kitchenaid, I was informed that the warranty company was to provide the service and replacement and honor the legally binding contract. After 4 hours of being placed on hold numerous times, I would appreciate some assistance with Service Protection Advantage. Thank you.

I have read through reviews and agree with each one. My experience has been the same. In early March, during the wash cycle, the water does not shut off. You have to turn off the washer to get it to stop. After calling SPA for the first time in early March, their selected service provider did come for the first appointment to evaluate our machine. After only about five minutes, they said three parts needed to be ordered. It has now been 13 weeks since this first visit and our machine still does not work. The service company has been a no show for three appointments and cancelled one due to ordering the incorrect part. They have shown up for two appointments, each time having to order more parts.

As others have said, they have our model make and number and should be able to have parts available without a two to three week wait for the part to arrive. The worst part is they have not shown up for an appointment since May 1st. This is six weeks. During this time, I have also called both SPA and the service company many times. It is the same story as others with SPA. I have been told they will call back with an answer and no return calls from them. I have been elevated to supervisors and also given incorrect call back extensions. Most of the time they are defending their service provider and have no interest in providing any customer service. The service provider is the same. Continue to get the run around and excuses. Their incompetence is unbelievable. At this time, I have also filled a complaint with the BBB as well and waiting on a response. I would not recommend for anyone to buy one of their extended service contracts.

One week ago I set up an appointment with Service Protection Advantage (SPA) company to have a refrigerator fixed. They told me the name and phone number of the repair company and we agreed the repair would be done between 8 am and noon today. At 12:40 PM, I called the repair company to ask why they had not shown up for the appointment and the guy I talked to told me he cancelled his contract with Service Protection Advantage company 2 years ago. Sooo, I wasted a morning waiting for a repair person that did not show up and when calling SPA back to get the correct company to fix the refrig, I was put on hold for 19 minutes until she could find someone to do the repair. What an outfit!!

My oven doesn't heat properly. After contacting the company, they installed a new thermostat several months ago. This didn't solve the problem. I contacted them again 3 months ago. After visiting my home, the service technician said the oven could not be repaired. His evaluation was submitted to the company. They decided that a part was needed. The part had been discontinued and could not be located in the U.S. The search for the part lasted 2 weeks. I was told if the part could not be found, I would be giving a check to purchase a new stove (1/4 of the purchase value of the oven). I spoke with someone 4 times in regards to the check. Three times, I was told the check was being processed and on its way via the claims department. My latest and fifth call, I was told that the company was going to repair the unit after all.

Stay away from this service agreement protection plan. They do not honor their own guidelines and promises. I'm very disgusted and frustrated with their integrity as a business. The constant calls, the constant denial to make good on my service agreement plan. It is now May 17. Since February, I have spoken with them seven (7) times about repairing/replacing my oven and my oven is still not repaired nor replaced.

I recently took out a contract and got a real person who told me I would receive the confirmation in 48 hours. This was four days ago. When I try calling, I only get a recording. I have sent two e-mails and have received no reply. I would not recommend this company... they are liars!! I am wondering if they will even cover the appliance as they said they would when and if I need service. Customers beware of this company.

I bought service for my washer, dryer, and dishwasher with Service Protection Advantage on 12/12/2012 to cover repairs until 12/12/2017, $1200 for 3 appliances. I've used the service three times and have found that there is an enormous amount of my time wasted. I waited four hours for a service technician to just diagnose the problem, then I have to make another appointment for repair, waiting another 4-5 hrs, plus waiting a week to get the part. Since SPA already has the model/serial number for my Kenmore Electric Dryer, why don't they bring the parts that may be needed on first visit?

I would not recommend Service Protection Advantage to anyone looking to purchase warranty work for their appliances. Their customer service is terrible. Every appointment you make, you have to sit home for 2 different days, with a 4-hour window each day. They will come assess you first visit then come for a second visit and hopefully repair it. Not so in my case. A cooling fan needed replacement. They did a half assed job and tried to fix it by repairing half the part. When it did not work less than 8 hours after they left, I had a representative at my house who works for the oven company themselves. They said it was a poor repair job and I never should have paid for this. That is how Service Protection Advantage gets you. They take your contract money up front and then do shitty repair work.

When you ask for a supervisor, they connect you to a general call center which by the way, they have many of in different cities. When I asked Joslyn to speak with a supervisor about my issues, she said that you are required to sit home home for more than one appointment for parts. They carry basic ones on their trucks. When I gave her my case number and told her I spoke with another supervisor 3 weeks ago named Melody, she has no idea who she is. I did leave Melody 4 voice mails over the past weeks and still have not heard back from her. Joslyn said every person at the call centers are supervisors and they report to no one - that they are their own boss. This company's customer service is terrible. DO NOT PURCHASE A WARRANTY FROM SERVICE PROTECTION ADVANTAGE.

The BBB and Consumer Affairs NEED to shut this company down!!!!! I have been trying for over a month to schedule a service repair for my GE Profile refrigerator freezer and everytime I call to schedule an appointment here in Los Angeles CA, they book me with a service repair in San Francisco CA (and they can't or refuse to fix this issues). They hang up on me several times on the phone while trying to correct this issue. And now that I want to cancel my contract and request for a refund, I am stonewalled and giving the run around Horrible service. I don't know why the state of California continues to allow this business to stay open and rip off the consumers?

I phoned Service Protection Advantage to report smoke coming from my GE Washing Machine. The following Wednesday following my request for service, a so called technician came to my home. I explained to him that during the washing of a load of clothes my wife heard a loud banging noise coming from the laundry room. When she entered the laundry room she smelled and saw smoke coming from the washing machine tub. The technician knelt down in front of the machine and began pushing buttons on the control panel. After troubleshooting the machine he claimed that the there was nothing wrong with the machine and that it was working properly. He did notice, however, that several of the agitators in the tub were loose. But other than that, the machine was fine.

Subsequent to his departure, my wife resumed washing a load of clothes. The machine began making and very loud banging noise. So much so, that I recorded a sound video of the machine making the noise. I called the technicians office and spoke to his boss. I told the "boss" of the problem and that they needed to come back and fix the washing machine. The "boss" told me he had ordered parts for the agitators and that getting the parts would take sometime because "Service Protection Advantage" (SPA) was the worst company he had to deal with when authorizing the requisitioning of parts. I then explained to him that the agitators were not making the noises coming from the machine. His reply was, "You'll have to call "SPA" and request another service call." Prior to that I phone a reputable appliance repairman in my community and explained to him about the noise, the burning smell and the smoke. Without further ado, he told me, "....a bearing had burned out and that is an expensive repair."

I immediately called "SPA" to request a service call and the "SPA" dispatcher, after much debate, told me it would take five days before a technician could come out again. She further stated that if parts were on order for the machine, the technician would not come to look at the washer until the parts came in. I explained to her that the parts on order had nothing to do with what was wrong with the washer. She began to defend "SPA's" company policy so I ended the conversation.

Today 02-02-15 I again phoned "SPA" to request a service call. I got the same "run around" that I had received the last time I called them, i.e., "you will have to wait until the parts on order for the washer come in before we can send a technician out to look at the washer. At that point I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor got on the phone and gave me the same song and dance. I asked to speak to her superior and she advised me that she was the top authority to handle my grievance. I knew that wasn't correct and I terminated that call too.

OPINION: Service Protection Advantage is an unscrupulous company and should be run out of business and permanently shut down in the entire United States. In my research of "SPA", I have found over thirty (30) complaints against "SPA". Go to www.consumeraffairs.con/auto_warranty/service-advantage.html and you can see for yourself.

I have been paying for home appliance insurance Maint. Agreement since 2002. The original company was GE (excellent Service) and they sold my contract to Assurant/Service Protection Advantage in about 2010. I have called this company about 3 or 4 times for service on my appliances in the last 4 years and I always get a run around about what they will service.

The last incident was December 30 2014 when my Central Air Conditioner went on the blink and would not cool or even come start up. I notified Assurant Solutions/Service Protection Advantage and the representative told me to read her the serial number off the compressor. I told her that it was raining and I could see the serial number that well, but assured her that this is the same units I bought the house with in 2002 (Carrier Mfg). She told me that they could not send a tech out without serial numbers and I had to take a picture of the serial number and send it to her. I told her that my camera would not pick up the numbers, but a technician could see them and I offered to pay for a service call if the numbers did not Jive with their records? She refused and told me that they would have to cancel my Air Condition Part of my policy, because I could see the numbers that well (I’m old and disabled).

I then called a local Air Condition Company to come out and they were able to see the Serial Number and Model writing it down to give to Assurant Solutions. All numbers matched Assurant Solutions Records. The Assurant Rep said it was too late. They cancelled my policy on my Air Conditioners? I then said “Why did you do that when I told you I wasn't capable of reading the numbers?” But guaranteed them, it was the unit. They advised that it was too late (SAME DAY). They have a policy of cancelling if you’re unable to read them the number immediately. They also said that their policy was not to reverse their decisions even if they are wrong.

This company is the Biggest Rip Off there is and they have no intention of standing behind the Maint. Contract agreements only collecting the Premiums. I had to pay 250.00 to the Air Condition Company for repair and Assurant refuses the claim. I have paid Assurant Solutions over 1500.00 in premiums since 2010. I wish someone would investigate their Business Practices and close them down. If anyone has any ideas of how to have them investigated, please let me know.

I paid for the extended warranty. I did a claim for my mom on the dryer. The rubber broke inside of the dryer and they said they won't pay for the rubber. That we have to pay for when we didn't broke it? I found it twisted up and found the other piece in my clothes. Assurant is stealing from people and something needs to be done. Why are we having to pay for something the dryer did and we are paying for extended warranty? I will make sure that people think twice of getting a warranty with Assurant. I will tell people about them. They lucky they don't have a Facebook page and I will keep checking for other medias so people can know how they are stealing from a person that lives off social security. Something needs to be done and I will help my mom expose Assurant for who they really are. A thief.

I have a GE dryer that is not even 3 years old. I paid $150 for a service agreement with Service Protection Advantage. Approx 3 weeks ago my dryer stopped working. When you press the start button all you could hear was a humming sound and the dryer would not start. I unplugged it, I changed all the setting knobs in an attempt to start it and nothing worked. I called for repair. They send somebody from A&E Repairs, located in Wall Township NJ...

When the guy shows up I press the start button to show him what happens and the dryer started right up. So he is as baffled as I am and he decides to put some wet clothes in the dryer and run it thru a cycle... We do that and there is no problem so he leaves... He calls me 20 minutes later and tells me that if he doesn't write down that he fixed something I would have to pay $95 so he said he was going to write down that he changed a switch so I agreed... I DID not sign anything and he DID not give me any paperwork showing that he was there and what he DID.

3 weeks later the dryer stops working again, same problem. I call for service and they send a different guy out. He looks at the dryer and tells me that the motor is bad and it will be $275.00 to repair it. I told him it's under warranty and he said that my warranty was void because the last time a technician came out they found a sock jammed in the motor. I told him that was not true that the last technician didn't even look at the motor because the dryer started right up when he was here. He told me there was nothing he could do unless I paid him $275.

I called Service Protection Advantage and told them that this was an absolute lie about a sock being jammed in the motor. I was with the technician the entire time he was checking the dryer and he never even opened up the dryer to look at the motor and they still denied my claim. So either A&E are lying thieves or Service Protection Advantage are lying thieves... I called the store who sold me the dryer and the service agreement, which is Better Living in Jamesburg NJ, they tried to call and were told they could not speak to them about my problem because they were not the policy holder... $275 is my grocery money for 2 weeks. I can't even express how angry I am!!!!! Small claims court here I come.

Service Protection Advantage Company Profile