1.36/5

41 SentrySafe Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 28, 2019

We purchased our safe about 8.5 years ago. It was very dependable until it wasn’t. First call to Customer Service, they advised we purchase new batteries of a certain brand. When called back to say that didn’t work, they then said the batch of batteries/brand purchased did not work in their safe. Back to the store, replaced batteries with specific brand and year; still not working. Back to the store upon their recommendation for 9V battery to open the door (which we were able to do and get the goods out). Placing the specified batteries back in, safe now, again, not working. Very disappointing.

I purchased this safe with the understanding that it had a lifetime warranty. Yet each call seems to shirk responsibility by giving us a new reason to (a) return the store or (b) purchase a new part from them (new AA battery housing for $10) or (c) end up right back where we began. I would appreciate the company making good on this purchase by honoring the lifetime warranty.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I am SO DISAPPOINTED in Sentry Safe. My husband passed away and I don't know where the key is to the safe. I have been using the combination. The battery ran down and to replace the battery, I have to get into the safe. After speaking to the Customer Service Support Team, they no longer have replacement keys to this model. WHAT!!!! I am SHOCKED! Seriously, I don't know what else to say. They said to contact a locksmith. I would think I would have been able to get a key forever. Just venting.... and so disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Safes delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

Do not under any circumstances buy a Sentry. Quality is a total joke! Has two 3/4" bolts on one side of door to impress you as secure but has only four small rivets holding door on the side you can't see. Supposed to be "a lifetime safe" but door just fell off in our hand. We contacted Sentry and rude, arrogant customer service would do nothing to repair or replace it. Do not buy Sentry/Masterlock.

Original review: May 10, 2019

This is my third safe. New to Sentry I am sorry to say. Took delivery on a 6+ cu ft and when I opened it the odor nearly knocked me out. It was such a toxic odor. I have never experienced anything like this with a safe. Customer Service took the whole thing quite lightly. They safes are made out of the country (so that excuses the toxic odor?), I should leave it open for some time, put baking soda in it and scrub it with a bleach mixture. Why should a customer be required to do all of this for a new safe that was $600. It is absurd. Never buy Sentry.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I lost the key to my safe back in December. I call the CS department. After waiting on hold for 30 min, I got a hold of someone. What should have been a 10 min conversation turned into an hour. After getting put on hold 4 times for 10=15 min each time, the guy then put in my order telling me it would take 10-15 business days to get a replacement key. Fast forward 20 days later, I call to see what's up. The second person I've now talked to about this now tells me that they have been out of the key for 3 years now and the order should have never been placed. She said she would contact me the next day after discussing alternatives with their key manufacturing department.

Fast forward to today; no follow up. I call, ask for the refund and then ask for a manager. The new guy says that he will process the refund and then puts me on hold for 10 min so he can find his manager. Comes back and says that he can't find the manager, so he will pass along the information and I will hear from someone at the end of the day. Its the end of the day, and I'll give you three guesses as to who never called or emailed. Don't buy from them, because if you ever need help, you're ** out of luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SentrySafe?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

These safes are garbage, no matter what model you buy. Customer service is a joke. They will never respond to e-mail or phone calls. Don't waste your time or money. I tried contacting them several times and never heard from them. The gun safe is unreliable for even the simplest entry.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

We bought 2 fireproof file cabinets at 2800.00 a piece a few yrs ago. We need a part so we called the company and first the representative didn't even know they had file cabinets then after the run around she told me, "We do not carry parts" so I asked to speak to a manager and put me on hold for twenty minutes after she told me a manager will call me back. Still waiting... I wish I did my research on this company so I would have bought from another manufacturer... I'm not done with them yet. I will call back weekly till I get the part that I need...

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We just bought the safe today. It was a different safe than the one on the box. It didn’t open, didn’t turn on, no instructions and Customer service was closed so they couldn’t help returning it to where we bought it. Never buying this brand again.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

My home was broken into, the safe was literally pried open. When I called SentrySafe about getting my money back, they tell me they don't cover thief. They say security protection. False statement. Please do not waste your hard earned money, because you will be very disappointed. This company does not stand by their products. This site will not submit my review without rating this company, so I have to give them a ???. They don't even deserve that. Now for the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Contacted SentrySafe for a repair and they told me that they do not ever carry spare parts for any safe they sell. I pointed out that the safe that I have can be opened with only 2 of the 3 numbers in the combination being used. They could of cares less about that. They said to call a locksmith to have them fix it. I contacted a Locksmith and they said they would have to contact sentry for parts. Well Sentry has no spare parts for any safe that they make or sell. So upon telling Sentry this they said we will give you 20% off a new safe. I just spent $200 on the broken one 2 years ago.

Now they want to sell me one. What gets me is that they claim my unit is only covered for a warranty of 1 year. The manual that came with the safe said it was a 3 year coverage. I have asked for someone from the corporate office to contact me to have this issue addressed and they will not have anyone contact me. All I keep getting is, "Buy a new safe from us and your issue will be solved." If I have to replace my safe I will not be buying a SentrySafe.

SentrySafe expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

SentrySafe started manufacturing safes in 1930. Now, the company sells fire-resistant safes and secure storage solutions around the world. SentrySafe is owned by the The Master Lock Company.

• SentrySafe alarm safe: The SentrySafe alarm safe emits a loud alarm when it is being tampered with. The alarm will sound if someone moves it, tries to pry it open or enters the wrong combination on the keypad five times.

• Fire-resistant safes: Many products from SentrySafe are fire- and flood-resistant. SentrySafe sells fire-resistant safes with capacities ranging from 0.5 to 6.1 cubic feet. These safe can resist fire damage of up to 1850 degrees Fahrenheit for nearly two hours.

• Other safes: SentrySafe also sells several different types of safes. Personal travel safes, home defense safes for handguns, filing cabinets and cash boxes are all available for purchase.

• Lost key or combination service: If you lose your key or forget your combination, SentrySafe can help you fix the problem. Register your safe by entering your model and serial number. SentrySafe will contact you with further instructions to confirm your identity. This service costs $20 and takes about a week to complete.

• Available retailers: You can buy SentrySafes at various retailers, including Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, Target, Costco, Lowe's and Amazon.

• Best for: consumers who want fire-resistant safes for their homes.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

SentrySafe Company Information