2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

SentrySafe Reviews

Original review: June 1, 2020

I was an employee at Sentry Safe for 27 yrs. They manufactured both plastic and metal security/fire safes. I worked on the assembly floor and have assembled every model safe the company made. Sentrysafe was a family owned company. The original name was John D. Brush. The company was in business for over 75 yrs in the Rochester NY area. In 2013 the company was sold to Master Locke. It was moved to Mexico. Up to this point the safe was a quality product. The company was known for its quality safes and customer service throughout the world. Master Locke does not care about quality as the Brushes did. Any safe made after 2013 I would not purchase as the care for the quality is not there anymore. It is embarrassing to read these reviews.

The company customer service is not helpful at all. They charge outrageous fees for lost keys or combinations. There is no support one on one anymore with a customer over the phone to help them with their problem. I needed a key a few weeks ago, they wanted 35.00 plus shipping for a key!!! I found the key elsewhere for 10.00. I would not recommend any Sentry Safe product produced after 2013.

Original review: April 10, 2020

I purchased a digital SentrySafe - fire safe 18 months ago, lugged it home and set it up with some valuables inside. A month ago I needed to get inside, but no matter how hard I tried, it would not open. I called Sentry customer service at least 4 times. The first time they assured me that the problem was my brand new Kirkland batteries with 2028 expiration date were the problem. They said I must use only Duracell or Energizer batteries with an expiration no sooner than 2029. Then the Duracell batteries I bought didn’t work either.

They suggested I lay the safe on its back and put 60-70 lbs of weight on it because sometimes the door gasket swells up, preventing the pins from disengaging. I put 100 lbs on the door for a week, but it didn’t help. Then they told me to try Energizer batteries because the nubs are shaped differently Duracell. Then they told me to stretch out the springs that hold the batteries in place. Finally they told me that even though this was the first time I was trying to open the safe, the warranty had expired and I was out of luck. At this point I took the safe outside and managed to open it with a sledge hammer. Without a doubt, this is the worst product I have ever purchased.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

This company advertise a great and safe product. This is very sad and misleading. I unfortunately trusted them only to be let down. The so called safe is crap. Someone just pried it open from the back, stole from me and put the safe back. If I didn't take it all the way out I would have never noticed it. Thanks for NOTHING.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I got this safe last year, now I'm getting around to installing it. I could not find a owners manual in the box which has some code I need to activate the safe. I called customer service to get the activation code and they want me to pay $35 for the code. Seems like a rip off. Now I have to pack it up and haul it back to Costco and return it. Seems like a lot of work for me and Costco because they have poor service. I would not recommend this SentrySafe after this experience.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Updated on 04/26/2020: Long story short my combination changed itself. I couldn’t get into the safe. The customer service confirmed this happens occasionally. But no worries, in about 10 minutes I cut through the side of the “safe” like Butter with a hack saw. I was robbed the day I bought this piece of excrement

Original Review: I realized that if you can bolt the safe by drilling through it you can also cut the safe walls with a saw. So I cemented the box in my crawl space so only the solid door is accessible. It worked until one day the combination changed itself. I called the company who admitted “maybe the tumblers fell“. I should try about a thousand different combinations and if that doesn’t work call a locksmith. WHAAAAAT.? Omg???? I will spend a day chiseling the safe out then cut it like butter to get inside.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SentrySafe?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

Bought a Sentry Safe for my valuables. Always kept inside in my closet. The door fell off after I opening after being away for a couple of weeks. Sentry Safe offered 20% off of another safe comparable to the one I purchased. Why would I buy another safe that would fail in this way? It seems to be a common problem. I will replace this safe but from another manufacturer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

This safe malfunctioned from the moment it arrived at my home. I have fought with it for 2 years and am finally giving up. I STRONGLY urge you purchase a safe with a "tumbler" locking mechanism rather than a "battery powered" locking mechanism. I must say that the customer service team was very helpful but I had to speak with them way too many times. Let's face it, there are 2 important features of a safe: 1) Security 2) Reliability. This safe has been anything but reliable. You have been warned.

Resolution response: Oct. 23, 2019

Sentry Safe stood behind there safe. The customer Service l received was outstanding. Employee Jenifer ** was outstanding to work with and resolved my issue with this safe. Returning and replacing safe at no cost. My interaction with Sentry Safe customer service was outstanding and we have settled this issue. Would recommend Sentry Safe as there stand behind there product. :)

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

My safe arrived yesterday, as it was unloaded inspected the box that it came in. All looked good. Signed and driver was on his way. I pulled the 2.05 cu ft safe out of shipping box which had no damage. But the safe itself was damaged in four places. Two corners were dented in, top of safe has a lump on it, and hinges are scratched and dented on front, combo dial will not turn. Very disappointed. Tried to call SentrySafe first but was closed, as it was after 5pm on Friday. Called Lowe's online as this is the website l used to purchase the safe, CR was very nice and understood my issues and said Lowe's will follow up with SentrySafe. He noted all the damage to the safe and said Lowe's will stand by the sale and return it for me and get me a new one that is not damaged. Not sure how the shipping box had no damage, but safe looked like it had been dropped from a 10 story window. (Shipping box had no damage)?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I bought this, put the unopened box in office but didn't open it for a while and l didn't keep the receipt. Stupid me. I trusted this company. BIG mistake. I just called SafeSentry and told them it didn't include a key and so was useless to me. They didn't care or do a thing except to say it should have come with a key. WHICH IT DIDN'T AND THEY'RE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT! BUYER BEWARE, NON EXISTENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! DO NOT BUY!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

We purchased a SentrySafe about 2 years ago. We rarely open and close it. The plastic bar that you push in to actually open it was always kind of strange. You had to really push in hard to open. Well today it fell apart (kind of fell inside) to where you could not open the safe even when it was not locked. There was a slight gap and I had to pry it open then the cheap plastic plus metal lock/catch just fell apart. At least I was able to get important papers out. But the safe is garbage now.

SentrySafe author review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

SentrySafe started manufacturing safes in 1930. Now, the company sells fire-resistant safes and secure storage solutions around the world. SentrySafe is owned by the The Master Lock Company.

• SentrySafe alarm safe: The SentrySafe alarm safe emits a loud alarm when it is being tampered with. The alarm will sound if someone moves it, tries to pry it open or enters the wrong combination on the keypad five times.

• Fire-resistant safes: Many products from SentrySafe are fire- and flood-resistant. SentrySafe sells fire-resistant safes with capacities ranging from 0.5 to 6.1 cubic feet. These safe can resist fire damage of up to 1850 degrees Fahrenheit for nearly two hours.

• Other safes: SentrySafe also sells several different types of safes. Personal travel safes, home defense safes for handguns, filing cabinets and cash boxes are all available for purchase.

• Lost key or combination service: If you lose your key or forget your combination, SentrySafe can help you fix the problem. Register your safe by entering your model and serial number. SentrySafe will contact you with further instructions to confirm your identity. This service costs $20 and takes about a week to complete.

• Available retailers: You can buy SentrySafes at various retailers, including Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, Target, Costco, Lowe's and Amazon.

by David Chandler, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

SentrySafe Company Information