Sentry Safe

Compare Home Alarm & Security Systems

Research top Home Alarm & Security Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I first called Sentry Safe in June of 2016. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes on hold until customer service finally answered. After they did answer the experience was good. The first rep discussed my problem and transferred call to tech support when she was unable to help. Tech support determined the problem (a defective solenoid) and took order for new part and said I should receive in 2-3 weeks.

In later part of July 2016 I called back. After another hold of one hour plus I talked to a customer service rep who informed me that due to problems in closing New York warehouse and transferring everything to new Kentucky location, they had no idea of order status. They said that they were keep order open but would credit my previous charge back on my credit card (which they did). Since July I have called back monthly checking status (each time experiencing one hour plus hold times except of November which was 30 minutes) and each time being told that there is no change in status and to continue to call back. I requested to talk to a supervisor or manager and was told this was not possible. At this point I have no idea of what the final outcome will be but I am quite sure I will never buy a Sentry Safe again nor recommend anybody else do so.

My product quit working with the electronic combination and I could only open with the key. Submitted an online request for product support that included the trouble description. After a week or so I received an Email from Master Lock. The response essentially blamed the problem on either dead batteries or using the wrong brand or batteries. I had used at least four sets of brand new batteries (had previously tested with Ohm Meter) using the CostCo Kirkland brand. The remedy was I either use the key to open or get a new safe. Apparently they don't understand the value of this product is quick access which is via the combination, not a key. I plan to avoid this brand going forward.

I have two Sentry safes. The battery holder on one was not operating. After interminable hold time on their customer care number (averaging 50 minutes) finally got someone who ordered a replacement battery tray. That was on August 11. Sent a reminder Aug 23. Spent another 50 minutes on the phone just now. They have no idea when they may the battery tray in stock!!! Never buy their products.

Worst customer service ever. Why have an 800 number if you are not going to answer the phone. I will never purchase a Sentry Safe again. Lost combo or keys your safe is useless because they do not answer requests for replacements. I have waited three times on the phone over an hour now on a weekday during business hours and no answer.

I paid for ($15 at this date) an extra set of keys on 6/27/16. According to the website, standard delivery orders are shipped in 7-10 business days. As of today 8/30/16, I have not received keys, email, letter or my money back. I have sent an email, I have called (couldn't get through to even go on hold), and am currently on hold as I write this (it has been over 20 minutes). The customer service at this company is terrible. I own 2 safes. I think I am going to try having an extra set of keys made at the local home improvement for the safe that I still have keys for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sentry Safe?

Very-Very-Very POOR customer service. 2 emails, 4 phone calls with 2 1/2 hours on hold, faxed a request to have someone call me and still no answer. Do you really want to buy something from a company like this?

I've sworn by this safe. Purchased 2 of the same safe. One for my mom and myself. My safe was purchased on 8/19/15, started having issues ending of July 2016... The safe became very difficult to open. Contacted on 7/27/16 at 8:32 am. I was on hold until 9:27 am when a first rep named Dominic answered. Explained my situation and I was told that it's not a warranty issue because even though it took at least "10" minutes to open it's not a defect. I was then transferred to a technician to troubleshoot a safe that I had no idea could be troubleshooted as everything worked except the difficulty opening the safe. He basically told me it's "weird" this happen as if he was telling me I'm a liar. I saw the reviews on Target for the same product and I'm actually not the only person having this issue.

I work in the customer service technical field warranty department and I've never spoken to a customer like this to make them seem retarded. He told me I can send in the safe. Pay the shipping fee. The safe weighs 44 lbs so as pregnant as I am I should lift this to wherever and pay the return overweight fee. I then asked to speak to a Manager and was transferred to a Supervisor on floor name Greg. He told me I first have to buy a WD 40 to spray in it and if the issue persist I should call back. I literally finished speaking to them at 10:22 am. This took almost 2 hours to be told spray WD 40!! Worst service I have ever received and will not purchase product from this company again as they lack customer service. My warranty expires in 3 weeks and I bet If I call after they will be excited to tell me there's nothing they can do because my warranty expired.

My business has a Sentry Safe and we order a replacement combo/key set. We sent in the notarized packet with the payment for 2 day shipping and received an automatic email stating that the order had been placed. That was over 10 days ago and we haven't heard anything since. We've attempted to contact them via all possible avenues (Facebook, email, phone, twitter) and they won't respond. This is a company that is basically stealing from unsuspecting customers both when purchasing items that are subpar and after the fact. STAY AWAY!

As others have described here, I cannot open my safe. Nor can I get a response while on the phone or via email. I've emailed multiple times and received an auto-bot confirmation the email was successful but never get contacted. I've been on hold several times for nearly an hour and no one picks up the phone. My safe's handle has 2 inches of play in it, and even with BRAND NEW batteries, it takes repeated attempts (5-15 attempts sometimes) to open the door. This safe is a piece of junk, and for the company to sell junk safes like this and never respond to their customers should be put out of business. I think we should all write James Brush, the CEO and tell him how we feel. 900 Linden Ave, Rochester, NY 14625.

Sentry Group Inc. does not reply when I contact them by phone, email, or Facebook message. When I call I am on hold for long periods of time and end up having to hang up after about 30 minutes. When I email or send a Facebook message I get no reply. I have an important question about the new safe I bought from them. Not replying is unacceptable. I filed a BBB complaint.

Used this product in the past without a problem, however, this time I am have to say if you have an older pet (12) stay away! Initially she was doing the scratching and rubbing like the others have reported but then the turn... no appetite and then the shaking and finally unable to walk (no strength, weak and listless) and stopped eating. After 48 hours of this poison on her, I found this site. Immediately bathed her 2x with Dawn and warm water at 1:30AM! I was afraid this was the end... This morning at 8AM she is walking a little better and she did eat a small amount of her favorite... tuna. I'm hoping she has turned the corner. Will make it thru this ordeal. Buyer beware! If your dog has fleas use a mixture of dawn and vinegar bath. Don't know why I put this horrible product on my babies.

I've had my safe for 3 years - model # MSW3517 BG162495 Factory code 66474. I go into this safe 1-2 times a year. This morning I needed Docs for court hearing. I went to enter the safe, put in my code, I received the green light to proceed. But door wouldn't open. I put a new 9 volt batt. into the key pad - still not opening. Went online & was blown away at the videos of people who had the same problem I was having. After trying several of the ways that they used to gain entry to their safe unsuccessful & with my court time approaching fast. I took my Fire Ax to the door to retrieve my court docs. I understood that the safe was not rated for Burglar proof. I also understand it's fire proof which is why I purchased your safe. Never in a 100 years did I think your Sentry Safe would not open with my code or the factory code.

It's a fairly common complaint for the safe to show signs of resistence when opening. My safe is the 59" E5251-T4. I just spoke with a Sentry customer service rep. He explained that I need to use white lithium grease on 3 locking pin areas to keep parts moving smoothly. I can buy this grease at AutoZone or a hardware store. I called Sentry because my safe's handle broke off. I am so pleased with Sentry's customer service! A very pleasant man explained how to open our safe after the handle breaks off. I know that the handle is meant to snap off if someone is trying to force it open. Someone in our family didn't realize this.

The customer service rep. took my name, phone #, serial #, model #, and address. He is sending me, at no cost, the spindle and parts with instructions. We spoke briefly about jobs and the economy since we are from different parts of the U.S. He said Sentry is going to expand, train and make more safes in this country (in the N.Y. area.) Good for them!

I read your article on Sentry Safes. I own one and my mother owns one. We both are having the same problem with our safes. They are getting more and more difficult to open. We are worried that we will be in the same position as your article states, in that we will be eventually locked out. Is there a recall on Sentry Safes? Thank you. Eventually the safe handle will break off or we will be locked out due to mechanism failure.

I have a Sentry Safe that has always been kept nicely in my home closet. It is not exposed to any damaging conditions nor moved to cause any damage. Lately, it is becoming more difficult to open the safe although I have the combination. Finally, it will not open. I tried to contact customer service with Sentry, and the only thing they had to tell me was that it was over a year old, so therefore out of warranty and that it was up to me to contact a locksmith to open it.

At this time, I am applying for a job and need the SS card or the birth certificate that are locked in this safe. Going on the internet to try to find help some other way other than the Sentry Company, I found an enormous amount of complaints very similar to mine; and no one was able to get any help from the company. these safes are expensive and sold too abundantly for this company to sell its reliability when it seems it can simply stop opening with the valuables of people hanging in limbo. This really needs to be investigated and why this company can sell a product that can potentially cause such distress with no responsibility from the company.

Sentry Safe Company Profile