1.41/5
  • 1 star
Based on 22 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 22, 2017

24 SentrySafe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

Ever since I bought my safe two years ago, I have never had any issues. My safe stays in my closet and I make sure to keep my valuables in there. It keeps my jewelry away from my child so she cannot touch them. Would highly recommend to a friend. Good price for the money.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Avoid at all cost buying an electronic keypad safe from SentrySafe. Purchased the product (model sfw123ftc) from Costco Canada just over 5 years and the electronic keypad failed to respond without any power. Called customer service to trouble shoot and was advised to get the freshest brand name battery (eg. Duracell, Energizer). Still no power to the keypad after the battery change. Called customer support again and we tried trouble shooting by removing the plastic keypad and connections. No luck again. Then they had the nerve to charge me $50 USD for replacement parts and cannot guarantee it will work. At this point, I am stuck with an unopen safe and a horrible product. SentrySafe does not seem to care and I am stuck with a lemon. On top of this, I searched youtube and found this safe can be cracked in under a minute with a powerful magnet. I will contact Costco to see if I can obtain a refund and update the review.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 28, 2017

Bought my home safe back in 2006. I might go into my safe 4 times a year. In 2011 it would show that it is unlocked but the tumblers never did open. Was told to hit with mallet and it opened. 07/28/2017 it wont open again. Called and the CS lady was so rude! All she wanted was to argue with me and then said if I hit it with a mallet in 2011, then I need a new solenoid. It is $50. Was told this is normal wear and tear that the door wont unlock.

After taking the cover off the inside door, a plastic piece which should have a spring attached to it is broken off. Was told that shouldnt matter and you should buy this solenoid for $50. If the spring was there I am sure it was for a reason! I will junk the safe and buy another brand. This company's products and their customer NO service needs to go out of business or correct their bad products or tell the customer that it has bad wear and tear issues and not to open the safe once you close the door because that is wear and tear that we don't cover!!!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I requested a set of spare keys. Sent my information. They sent me the wrong keys. I email them. No response. I emailed them again. No response. I call them today. They tell me that is has been over six months since they sent wrong keys and that I would have to pay for correct set. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: April 29, 2017

Do not buy this product. Incredibly cheap and shoddy construction. I bought the safe at Costco and made the mistake of putting my passport and green card in the safe. When it locked it would not open again. The handle turned with a very large click but the bolts would not engage. Ended up having to call locksmith to get the items out of the safe. I am shocked Costco sells such a poor quality item.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SentrySafe?

Original review: April 29, 2017

I have a Sentry Safe with the electronic keypad. It's about 2.5 years old. I've used it maybe 6 times over the time I've owned it. Recently went to open the safe display shows that the safe is unlocked. Safe does not open. Handle will move in either direction freely. I called Sentry Safe. The gal I spoke with said to change the batteries. Duh I already had done that. So I appeased her, bought another set of batteries. Lo, and behold same issue. Called back, got another gal. She had no idea what to do. She said sounds like the handle is bad. No offer to do anything. Call a locksmith. What a joke. Never again will I buy or recommend Sentry Safe!

Original review: March 2, 2017

I have a large Sentry Safe BD744762/OA5886 (4 yrs old) with digital lock and round key lock. It's used once a day to store evidence and the last few months the solenoid doesn't always "click" to unlock it after typing in the code. I replaced the batteries and the same thing still happens. It was taking 3-4 tries to open. I also noticed the handle is getting very loose and gets stuck and you have to jiggle it to open. Just yesterday I opened it after a few tries and the DOOR FELL OFF! The bottom hinge broke completely off. I noticed that the hinge was only attached with 2 small 3/16" rivets and NO welding. The door weighs at least 20 lbs so that's some very shoddy construction. I can't remember how much we paid for it but it was $400-$500. I tried to call customer service and never got through. Also the safe model we have doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Purchased safe from Sentry with digital keypad and manual key. First mistake! In just a few years the digital key pad mechanism broke and we are not able to open the safe at all. I misplaced the key thinking I could use the key to get in it. So I contacted them in December, they sent me a new set of keys of course for a price. Got the keys and tried to open the safe, it didn't work. So I called them back and explained that the key won't open the safe, went through all the troubleshooting to find out that the key won't work without the digital key pad and if the key pad isn't working then you can't open the safe! Don't you think they should have told me that when I called the first time? After going through all the troubleshooting, replacing batteries several times and still the key pad won't work. They decided at that point that it is the key pad that malfunctioned and would be sending me a new one.

They told me they would be sending me a new one in 2 to 4 weeks but because they were in the middle of moving their warehouse to Wisconsin it may take longer and to also consider the holidays to allow extra time. The move would be completed by the first week in January and they would send the part right away. The middle of January I called again, only to find out that the warehouse moved in stages, the first stage had been completed. They were still in transition for the second stage and by the way the part you are waiting is in that second stage. You should receive your part by the middle of February!

OK, so we wait, today I called again to see where they were with shipping that part. The gentleman was very kind and told me that the part was supposed to ship on the 13th but they hadn't received any from the manufacture but as soon as they do they will ship it. Really. I said "this is really frustrating because they told me the part was in the warehouse and they were in the middle of moving the warehouse." He said "I am not going to use that line. The truth is we don't know when or if you will get the part." He said I could call a locksmith or find someone with some tools specific to open it. I couldn't believe it, I told him I need to get into that safe and can't believe the run around I have gotten from this company.

He said "Imagine the people that have been waiting since last March for the same part." I said "are you kidding. You have people waiting for a year for the same part?" "Yep", he went on to tell me that Master Lock purchased Sentry Safe and is making no attempt in customer satisfaction. Now we have to figure out a way (least expensive way) to open the safe. Thanks Sentry Safe for all your customer service and endless lies! I will never buy another Sentry Safe or a Master Lock safe if this is the way they treat their customers! I will make sure I spread the word about your company!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Purchased safe from Sentry with digital keypad and manual key. In just a few years the locking mechanism broke and we were not able to open the safe at all. After months of trying to contact Sentry by phone and email we finally had to cut through the safe with a saws-all. We spent hours waiting on hold to speak with a representative that does not exist. Their website is also a sham, we sent numerous emails requesting help and not one was ever answered. I would never purchase anything from this company again. Buyer beware!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I first called Sentry Safe in June of 2016. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes on hold until customer service finally answered. After they did answer the experience was good. The first rep discussed my problem and transferred call to tech support when she was unable to help. Tech support determined the problem (a defective solenoid) and took order for new part and said I should receive in 2-3 weeks.

In later part of July 2016 I called back. After another hold of one hour plus I talked to a customer service rep who informed me that due to problems in closing New York warehouse and transferring everything to new Kentucky location, they had no idea of order status. They said that they were keep order open but would credit my previous charge back on my credit card (which they did). Since July I have called back monthly checking status (each time experiencing one hour plus hold times except of November which was 30 minutes) and each time being told that there is no change in status and to continue to call back. I requested to talk to a supervisor or manager and was told this was not possible. At this point I have no idea of what the final outcome will be but I am quite sure I will never buy a Sentry Safe again nor recommend anybody else do so.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2016

My product quit working with the electronic combination and I could only open with the key. Submitted an online request for product support that included the trouble description. After a week or so I received an Email from Master Lock. The response essentially blamed the problem on either dead batteries or using the wrong brand or batteries. I had used at least four sets of brand new batteries (had previously tested with Ohm Meter) using the CostCo Kirkland brand. The remedy was I either use the key to open or get a new safe. Apparently they don't understand the value of this product is quick access which is via the combination, not a key. I plan to avoid this brand going forward.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I have two Sentry safes. The battery holder on one was not operating. After interminable hold time on their customer care number (averaging 50 minutes) finally got someone who ordered a replacement battery tray. That was on August 11. Sent a reminder Aug 23. Spent another 50 minutes on the phone just now. They have no idea when they may the battery tray in stock!!! Never buy their products.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

Worst customer service ever. Why have an 800 number if you are not going to answer the phone. I will never purchase a Sentry Safe again. Lost combo or keys your safe is useless because they do not answer requests for replacements. I have waited three times on the phone over an hour now on a weekday during business hours and no answer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I paid for ($15 at this date) an extra set of keys on 6/27/16. According to the website, standard delivery orders are shipped in 7-10 business days. As of today 8/30/16, I have not received keys, email, letter or my money back. I have sent an email, I have called (couldn't get through to even go on hold), and am currently on hold as I write this (it has been over 20 minutes). The customer service at this company is terrible. I own 2 safes. I think I am going to try having an extra set of keys made at the local home improvement for the safe that I still have keys for.

Original review: July 29, 2016

Very-Very-Very POOR customer service. 2 emails, 4 phone calls with 2 1/2 hours on hold, faxed a request to have someone call me and still no answer. Do you really want to buy something from a company like this?

Original review: July 27, 2016

I've sworn by this safe. Purchased 2 of the same safe. One for my mom and myself. My safe was purchased on 8/19/15, started having issues ending of July 2016... The safe became very difficult to open. Contacted on 7/27/16 at 8:32 am. I was on hold until 9:27 am when a first rep named Dominic answered. Explained my situation and I was told that it's not a warranty issue because even though it took at least "10" minutes to open it's not a defect. I was then transferred to a technician to troubleshoot a safe that I had no idea could be troubleshooted as everything worked except the difficulty opening the safe. He basically told me it's "weird" this happen as if he was telling me I'm a liar. I saw the reviews on Target for the same product and I'm actually not the only person having this issue.

I work in the customer service technical field warranty department and I've never spoken to a customer like this to make them seem retarded. He told me I can send in the safe. Pay the shipping fee. The safe weighs 44 lbs so as pregnant as I am I should lift this to wherever and pay the return overweight fee. I then asked to speak to a Manager and was transferred to a Supervisor on floor name Greg. He told me I first have to buy a WD 40 to spray in it and if the issue persist I should call back. I literally finished speaking to them at 10:22 am. This took almost 2 hours to be told spray WD 40!! Worst service I have ever received and will not purchase product from this company again as they lack customer service. My warranty expires in 3 weeks and I bet If I call after they will be excited to tell me there's nothing they can do because my warranty expired.

Original review: July 26, 2016

My business has a Sentry Safe and we order a replacement combo/key set. We sent in the notarized packet with the payment for 2 day shipping and received an automatic email stating that the order had been placed. That was over 10 days ago and we haven't heard anything since. We've attempted to contact them via all possible avenues (Facebook, email, phone, twitter) and they won't respond. This is a company that is basically stealing from unsuspecting customers both when purchasing items that are subpar and after the fact. STAY AWAY!

Original review: July 15, 2016

As others have described here, I cannot open my safe. Nor can I get a response while on the phone or via email. I've emailed multiple times and received an auto-bot confirmation the email was successful but never get contacted. I've been on hold several times for nearly an hour and no one picks up the phone. My safe's handle has 2 inches of play in it, and even with BRAND NEW batteries, it takes repeated attempts (5-15 attempts sometimes) to open the door. This safe is a piece of junk, and for the company to sell junk safes like this and never respond to their customers should be put out of business. I think we should all write James Brush, the CEO and tell him how we feel. 900 Linden Ave, Rochester, NY 14625.

Original review: April 23, 2016

Sentry Group Inc. does not reply when I contact them by phone, email, or Facebook message. When I call I am on hold for long periods of time and end up having to hang up after about 30 minutes. When I email or send a Facebook message I get no reply. I have an important question about the new safe I bought from them. Not replying is unacceptable. I filed a BBB complaint.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

Used this product in the past without a problem, however, this time I am have to say if you have an older pet (12) stay away! Initially she was doing the scratching and rubbing like the others have reported but then the turn... no appetite and then the shaking and finally unable to walk (no strength, weak and listless) and stopped eating. After 48 hours of this poison on her, I found this site. Immediately bathed her 2x with Dawn and warm water at 1:30AM! I was afraid this was the end... This morning at 8AM she is walking a little better and she did eat a small amount of her favorite... tuna. I'm hoping she has turned the corner. Will make it thru this ordeal. Buyer beware! If your dog has fleas use a mixture of dawn and vinegar bath. Don't know why I put this horrible product on my babies.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

I've had my safe for 3 years - model # MSW3517 BG162495 Factory code 66474. I go into this safe 1-2 times a year. This morning I needed Docs for court hearing. I went to enter the safe, put in my code, I received the green light to proceed. But door wouldn't open. I put a new 9 volt batt. into the key pad - still not opening. Went online & was blown away at the videos of people who had the same problem I was having. After trying several of the ways that they used to gain entry to their safe unsuccessful & with my court time approaching fast. I took my Fire Ax to the door to retrieve my court docs. I understood that the safe was not rated for Burglar proof. I also understand it's fire proof which is why I purchased your safe. Never in a 100 years did I think your Sentry Safe would not open with my code or the factory code.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2011

It's a fairly common complaint for the safe to show signs of resistence when opening. My safe is the 59" E5251-T4. I just spoke with a Sentry customer service rep. He explained that I need to use white lithium grease on 3 locking pin areas to keep parts moving smoothly. I can buy this grease at AutoZone or a hardware store. I called Sentry because my safe's handle broke off. I am so pleased with Sentry's customer service! A very pleasant man explained how to open our safe after the handle breaks off. I know that the handle is meant to snap off if someone is trying to force it open. Someone in our family didn't realize this.

The customer service rep. took my name, phone #, serial #, model #, and address. He is sending me, at no cost, the spindle and parts with instructions. We spoke briefly about jobs and the economy since we are from different parts of the U.S. He said Sentry is going to expand, train and make more safes in this country (in the N.Y. area.) Good for them!

Original review: April 7, 2010

I read your article on Sentry Safes. I own one and my mother owns one. We both are having the same problem with our safes. They are getting more and more difficult to open. We are worried that we will be in the same position as your article states, in that we will be eventually locked out. Is there a recall on Sentry Safes? Thank you. Eventually the safe handle will break off or we will be locked out due to mechanism failure.

Original review: March 31, 2010

I have a Sentry Safe that has always been kept nicely in my home closet. It is not exposed to any damaging conditions nor moved to cause any damage. Lately, it is becoming more difficult to open the safe although I have the combination. Finally, it will not open. I tried to contact customer service with Sentry, and the only thing they had to tell me was that it was over a year old, so therefore out of warranty and that it was up to me to contact a locksmith to open it.

At this time, I am applying for a job and need the SS card or the birth certificate that are locked in this safe. Going on the internet to try to find help some other way other than the Sentry Company, I found an enormous amount of complaints very similar to mine; and no one was able to get any help from the company. these safes are expensive and sold too abundantly for this company to sell its reliability when it seems it can simply stop opening with the valuables of people hanging in limbo. This really needs to be investigated and why this company can sell a product that can potentially cause such distress with no responsibility from the company.

SentrySafe expert review by David Chandler, Ph.D.

SentrySafe started manufacturing safes in 1930. Now, the company sells fire-resistant safes and secure storage solutions around the world. SentrySafe is owned by the The Master Lock Company.

• SentrySafe alarm safe: The SentrySafe alarm safe emits a loud alarm when it is being tampered with. The alarm will sound if someone moves it, tries to pry it open or enters the wrong combination on the keypad five times.

• Fire-resistant safes: Many products from SentrySafe are fire- and flood-resistant. SentrySafe sells fire-resistant safes with capacities ranging from 0.5 to 6.1 cubic feet. These safe can resist fire damage of up to 1850 degrees Fahrenheit for nearly two hours.

• Other safes: SentrySafe also sells several different types of safes. Personal travel safes, home defense safes for handguns, filing cabinets and cash boxes are all available for purchase.

• Lost key or combination service: If you lose your key or forget your combination, SentrySafe can help you fix the problem. Register your safe by entering your model and serial number. SentrySafe will contact you with further instructions to confirm your identity. This service costs $20 and takes about a week to complete.

• Available retailers: You can buy SentrySafes at various retailers, including Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, Target, Costco, Lowe's and Amazon.

• Best for: consumers who want fire-resistant safes for their homes.

Profile picture of David Chandler, Ph.D.
David Chandler, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

David Chandler, Ph.D., writes for the ConsumerAffairs Research team to help consumers make smart purchasing decisions. David is passionate about creating content that is useful and informative, and he devotes several hours to researching companies, industries and articles for each piece of content he writes to help consumers find what they need.

SentrySafe Company Information