Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.62/5

644 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I purchased a home in 2005. The previous owners had purchased all new pella wood frame windows directly from the company. Within 3 years they were leaking and finish was flaking off now. They are in such now. They are so bad every window in the house needs replaced.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

We have a triple window, two windows (casement) opening. They were installed - bought from Foxworth Galbraith (Silver City, NM) 9 years ago for a new build construction. Over that time we have had breakages from bird strikes. The last one cost us over $550 for a Pella "expert" (nonsense) from Las Cruces to come and replace a pane.

We have another broken pane (outer one only) BUT we also have two rotten wooden window frames. The outer frame is fine, it is the actual window where the wood has rotted... Why? Because, as our builder explained, the aluminum outer covering is not siliconed to the window, allowing rain water to get behind the aluminum and rot the frame wood! BAD design.

Now, I have a choice to make... as I am sure Pella won't honor any guarantee. (Last time I called Pella no one gave a damn at the extortionate price to replace a pane). Cost? $1600 - but in the long term perhaps worth it. Get the idea we're already angry with Pella? After the Las Cruces extortionate pricing, is anyone surprised?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

We bought these windows, when we built our new home 10 years ago from Pella. They have been nothing but problems from the day they came. I believe defective would be the correct word. 6 of the 20 windows have been repaired and we have 2 more to fix. These are double hung windows, which Pella claims the pin in the mechanism is defective. They none have a stronger 1 to replace it with. But not as a recall, they charge $150.00 to send someone out and then and additional charge after the first hour. Plus 2 days waiting time for them to come fix them.

The window will not close, therefore I have a towel in the window to keep the heat out while the central air is on. Winter time they frost up and even become icy. Probably end up with wood rot because of it. I try to wash my windows inside and out once a year but right now I'm afraid to open any of them because they may not shut and then wait for someone to service them. I would never purchase these windows again. Bad call by contractor. Also we were told they only carry a 2-year warranty and the fact. I hate to think what these windows will be in 20 years if they even last that long.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

We've ordered Patio doors and a Front door In April 2016. Installation schedule for May 24, did not happen. Rescheduled June 15 did not happen (We were out of town until end July). Rescheduled August 5 they have started the installation, could not complete, wrong window delivered. Rescheduled August 31. Received a phone call today that they can only complete the installation in October!!! They don't seem to care at all. They just tell you "this is the situation there is nothing we can do"!!! Never again Pella!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

I'm so disappointed in what I thought was a great American company and the way they've handled replacements. My house is only 15 years old, and we got a paltry 30% discount for rotten windows, well over half of all the many windows installed. Two of the windows were large three pane or "picture windows" and came without "fins", which took six weeks to arrive! I'm still living with one window installed with plastic up on the outside until the contractor can come back out to finish. Their customer service is terrible, and it couldn't be more obvious that they are sales focused and not customer focused. Terrible experience!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

The service is very poor. If you try to use a different company, getting a quote from Pella for parts has taken 4 weeks and delivery of the parts will take another 4+ weeks. I believe Pella includes this delay to protect their service business. The windows are good, but service and replacement parts are terrible. I would not purchase Pella windows again.

Original review: July 26, 2016

We purchased a Pella Sliding Door because we believed them to be the best. Now 4 years later the door had started being very hard to open and close and now is very difficult to close! I noticed a piece of rubber sticking out between the two door frames. I called today to have the door serviced. She said that sounds like the weather stripping.Today is July 26. The first available service appointment is not until August 31! Then I'm told, "let me go over the fees so you won't be shocked." I said "what are you talking about? It has a lifetime warranty." I hear, "yes the door but you have to pay $168 for them to come out and $108 an hour for them to repair the door!!"

What kind of warranty is that? Who makes $108 an hour??? Who charges $168 just to come out? I was told "well, if you know the parts we can just order them!" I am SERIOUSLY SHOCKED to think a company that one would believe has a good reputation this is how they operate! I guess the plan is to gouge you to start with and continue to gouge you with the labor cost! Oh, the door is fine we just OVERCHARGE for everything else. Oh and by the way NO ONE but Pella can touch the door or it voids the warranty! Probably cheaper to do that!

Original review: July 25, 2016

I have had multiple issues. Had 3 Pella entry doors. 1 warped and I wanted a different design to purchased a new one that took 2 months to be delivered. The other 2 where the warranty just expired (one last year, 1 this year even though I bought them together), have panels coming off and Pella will not do anything except sell me new ones. This is after a months of single sided communications and follow-up. Only adding images of 1 door, the other one has a similar issue.

Original review: July 2, 2016

Special order vinyl sliding window approximate size 24x 12" costing 125.00 and requiring one month wait, was poorly packaged and arrived at store with one side bent and caused by, it appears, pressure on the vinyl frame during shipping.

Original review: July 1, 2016

Window seals started leaking on the highest quality Pella windows architectural series windows on my home, and after I called Pella in Houston numerous times, they finally came out and said they would not cover it under their warranty. Bad windows from a bad window company. They confessed they were not made correctly, and they had production problems, but it will be at my expense to pay for their mistakes. There is a class action lawsuit against Pella.

Original review: June 25, 2016

We choose Pella for our windows and doors as they seemed to produce a quality product and our salesperson John ** was very thorough in our quote and seemed very knowledgeable. Well everything fell apart at installation and post sales service. The door they installed is of poor quality and the inside looks like a patchwork of different wood finishes, not what you expect for >$10k for a door.

I can understand mistakes happen so gave them benefit of the doubt to correct the problem. It is now 2 weeks post installation and no one is calling to fix the problem. More incompetence is a painter is sent to fix the mismatch and he comes with no paint brush so obviously can't do the work. They assured me it would be fixed before I had family coming in from out of town for my kids birthdays but it was not. Promise after promise, disappointment after disappointment. Do NOT get your windows and doors from Pella. They take your money and then make a mess of the post sales which is ultimately what is most important.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Pella Architect series french door have a defective strip attached to the passive door that slips, making the doors not able to open as the strip falls below the threshold of the door. These doors are over $3,000 each and Pella requires homeowners to pay for repairs. Beware purchasing these items!

Original review: June 8, 2016

I remodeled my home and bought thousands of dollars worth of Pella windows and doors. One month after I purchased and had them installed by my contractor I had a problem and had to have them come out for a service call and was charged for the call and the problem was due to faulty merchandise I purchased from them!

Now the latch on my sliding screen door broke off and I had to replace it. It is made out of very flimsy plastic which in itself shouldn't be used on an expensive door. It cost me $25.00 to replace this piece of flimsy plastic and if I want them to come out to put it on another $50 service charge. I also want to mention that when I went to pick up the part there were two other people waiting behind me who had the same problem. I only wonder how many other people come each day with the same complaint. For such expensive products one would think they should be made from good materials and should last. I would never again use Pella products or recommend them.

Original review: May 30, 2016

I am extremely disappointed with Pella. I purchased a Mahogany Stain double entry door with Advantage Plus protection system. The door was purchased in Aug. 2011. The outside of the door is fading. Upon calling Lowe's, which is where the door was purchased, I was told not to worry as the paint is covered for 10 years. Also if you check the warranty online it says it is guaranteed for years. But when you speak to Pella directly, they do not honor their policy. They claim the paint is only a 2-year warranty and that it is up to the consumer to maintain the door by painting it themselves using gel paint. They claim it is stated in the owners manual which they never give you.

When I mentioned I never received the manual the supervisor on the phone told me it was my responsibility to ask for one. The rep from Lowe's was flawed by this explanation. I am disheartened how dishonest this company is and will never be purchasing any Pella products and will advise all family and friends not to purchase as well.

Original review: May 19, 2016

We attempted to have Pella install 6 new windows and a patio slider door. It took them 3 months to get the product before installation. They made replacement windows instead of new construction windows and the project manager wanted to somehow retrofit the replacement windows into the opening with a little bit of tape to close the gaps.

All he was trying to do was finish the job even though the windows would not have lasted more than 5 years. They don't care about the customer or doing the job the right way and they wanted us to pay for windows that were incorrect. We spoke to 8 different people at Pella and everyone was extremely rude. We ended up keeping the sliding patio door because there was no issue with the installation and they jacked up the price of the door because we weren't going to purchase the windows. Shady company, horrible customer service and ethics are going downhill. Shame on us for putting our faith in a company that has been around for over 75 years. At the rate they're going I don't see them lasting much longer.

Original review: April 26, 2016

Installation date: April 7, 2016. From the Pella website: When you choose Pella, you're buying more than just a window or door. You're getting the experience and service of local Pella professionals who are proudly committed to your satisfaction. Let me begin by stating that I am deeply concerned about the quality of the 13 Impervia windows and 1 sliding glass door and of the performance and attention to detail of the Handpicked Independent Pella Certified Contractor and installation crew. Yes, the windows are an improvement over the aluminum framed builder grade windows that came with the home in 2000, but the overall impression this customer has of each aspect of the Pella process, assembly, fit and finish, quality assurance, and installation, do not add up to a positive customer satisfaction rating.

If these issues are not addressed and mitigated at the corporate level, Pella will find it increasingly difficult to improve their customer satisfaction rating. The pictures included are to support the following comments and observations. Fabrication. Almost every corner of every window and sliding glass door where the sections are fitted together has various degrees of separation. Several windows have excessive manufacturing material remaining on the inside joints between the panes that are visible when you look out the windows. Fiberglass threads remain on some of the end cuts of the frames and sliders from the fabrication and assembly process. In my opinion, these should have been addressed prior to the Finished product leaving the factory. More concerning is the appearance of cracks in the frame on two of the windows. If this is happening after ten days, what will these windows look like in a month?

Installation. Every window installed by the Handpicked Independent Pella Certified Contractor and installation crew was left in various stages of incompletion. Some windows are missing trim; others are missing the stopper or the stoppers were cut too short thus failing to prevent the window latch from coming into contact with the frame when opened. One of the windows bottom trim is cut short on both ends leaving unsightly gaps. All of the windows were dirty, and required my wife and I to acquire and apply acetone to remove black residue on the frames and glass, the excess glue on the frames and glass, and excess caulk on the finishing trim. Additional issues with the installation are: the crew did not arrive with an adequate amount of supplies to complete the job, and did not clean up and or remove excess construction material trash from the job site.

This is a concern and that the construction material left behind on the lawn that we have found to date is solid plastic, and I am certain will not react well when this trash encounters a spinning lawnmower blade. I understand a crew will be returning at some point in time as the screen for the sliding door was damaged during shipment and a replacement was ordered. However, how long will it be until a crew returns to our home to complete the job we have paid for? No one from Pella has contacted us regarding follow-up on the replacement screen, nor have we received a request for a date for the crew to return in order to complete the installation.

Original review: April 8, 2016

Terrible customer service once you purchase the windows. The product is great! Love the windows. Doors are ok. But customer service is incredibly low and lacking. Not worth what they charge for the product. I paid $15,000 on 4 windows, 1 bay window and 1 entry door. They dropped the ball. The door arrived with the wrong color. It has taken over 2 weeks to get someone to confirm they will fix it. I talked to the manager of installation and he had an attitude. He said this was the first he heard of my problem. Yet I called him 3 days prior and left a message on his cell phone. Instead of fixing their mistake right away, they failed to be prompt, courteous, and helpful. Will NEVER buy Pella again.

Original review: April 5, 2016

We spent $25,000 on all new Pella windows & doors for our 100 year old Craftsman home. The windows and doors look great, but there are some design issue that have caused problems. The worst problem Sliding Doors from Pella that lock themselves. They lock themselves because in Pella's unusual handle design for the slider, they placed the lever that locks the door in a position where your hand often flips the lever in "lock" position when you are simply trying to slide the door open or closed.

If you happen to be closing it on your way into the house, you just have to unlock it again. BUT if you are closing it on the way out, and don't have keys in your pocket -- sorry, you are locked out. When I asked Pella repair why they would not correct the design flaw, they said it wasn't covered under warranty. That's disgusting. If they designed very expensive items that don't work properly, they should fix the flaws -- warranty or not. They've got my money. I've got bad doors. The company doesn't appear to care.

Original review: April 2, 2016

I have Pella Pro Line windows in my 20 year old house. They are not very well constructed and they rot and leak rather quickly. I have had to replace 7 or 8 of the windows and one of the windows is rotted again for the third time, meaning I have already replaced it twice. I have contacted Pella twice over the last 10 years or so asking for some help with the cost of replacing these defective windows. The letters to their CEOs over the 10 year period have not produced any help. They keep telling me that the windows are beyond the warranty period which I think is one year for parts and workmanship. Obviously not a very good product if they only guarantee it for one year.

They also go on to say that they have no control over environmental conditions. Do they mean they have no control over rain and snow which we have lots of all over the planet, and that a reasonably well made window should be able to manage quite easily. I will no longer buy any Pella products, and I would strongly suggest that anyone looking for windows for their home would think very hard about buying any Pella products.

Original review: April 1, 2016

Have used them many of times. Their Service People are rude. I'm on the call list apparently and they do not stop no matter what you ask. Windows do not hold up like Pella - destroys them for a great comfortable price. Used Andersen 4 years. Will only use Pella now.

Original review: April 1, 2016

Pella is misleading. They offered a discount in the spring and after an inhome quote, stated that our 1926 house had non-standard doors and couldn't quote the job. The quote took more than 10 days to receive. Just a waste of time.

Original review: March 20, 2016

I wanted to repair my 15-year old Pella sliding door before I replace. Horrible experience, almost as bad as dealing with Sears. I started in July going into the store, nice, told me to call customer service. Several phone calls, no one calls back. Finally in Early September an service call is set in late Sept for a service man to come and look at my door for $125.00. Just look, but don't fix. Since the guy makes his own schedule, he will call you the night before to give you a time frame. The guy never called. I was home, the showed up, fixed a few things, said he would have to come back and that he would put in this file, not to charge me again for the visit.

Pella thought otherwise. I waited a few weeks for a call back and for a appt, no call back. The service never put in an for my order. Someone did, but they would have to charge me again. Finally in January, someone else came, fixed a lock. Still no weather stripping, and now the door needs new bottom wheels. Once again, Pella says now I would have to pay $240 for the serviceman to come out the fix what should have been done the 1st or second time. Also, they was 3 pages of window measurements for my house which the guy stayed the whole time on my back deck. No matter what I said, if I wanted the door fixed, it was not $240.00 for labor to finish the job. I will try going to the Home Depot for the parts and have my handyman finish the job. Horrible customer service. Would never recommend Pella to anyone.

Original review: March 2, 2016

We paid for materials and installation of 13 windows and a front door. The sale was fine but after that went downhill fast. First try at installing left windows out of plumb and busted vinyl siding all around the house. Second try was better but the windows had trash in between the glass. The door sidelite was a different color than the door, the door had the wrong hardware. In the end, they said that we were sold something they couldn't provide (quality). They give us (not willingly) a 3k dollar refund to replace the siding and one of the windows that they couldn't get right. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

We installed 16 Pella windows (new construction) and one Pella sliding door. From day one, the condensation on the interior around the edges was terrible. The wood developed mold on it, although we attempted to continually dry the windows. I have been told it is due to the metal spacer between the panes. At year 9, all the exterior metal clad came loose from the windows. They started leaking and the frame rotted. The wood developed mold around the windows. You can actually see outside through the rotted wood.

Contacted Pella while the windows were under warranty. They sent a service tech out and he pounded the metal clad back in place and then silicones all the windows. Said he would go back to the shop and get new windows ordered. Never happened. I have continued to contact Pella and was told that they were involved in a class action lawsuit and their hands were tied. After the lawsuit was settled, I received a letter from Pella telling me I could get 30% off of new Pella windows (as a result of the settlement). My question - why would anybody in their right mind do business with Pella? They don't honor their warranty and don't care about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

Purchased new dual pane windows and sliding glass doors for our entire house back in 2008. Recently we noticed one of the windows appears to be cloudy or has the look of having steam on it. I tried to clean it thinking it might be something that might wipe off but unfortunately it did not. I called the Pella customer service number and the person told me that a Pella technician will come out to investigate the window for a $75.00 CHARGE. He then said if in fact the window is defective (which it is) then we would have to pay for the labor at $150.00 per hour. This is not fair because we bought these windows thinking we were purchasing a quality product.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

Bought a whole series of new construction windows and sliding glass doors with built in blinds. However, one of the windows keeps developing a large condensation spot dead center on the inside of the stationary part of the window. All year long. And in the winter it turns to frost. I called tech support and they say it is not the window, but it is an environmental issue is my home. All the windows and doors are on the same wall and all together. So how can it be an "environmental" issue? Wouldn't it affect all of them? Paid a lot of money for this top of the line stuff. NOT HAPPY with Pella's lack of help.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

We purchased Pella 13 years ago in current home. We purchased the wood framed windows. Top of the line. They're expensive but worth every penny. Also changed our sliding glass doors. I have not had a single problem with them. We purchased them right from Pella. Not through a hardware store. Sorry to hear all of the problems people are having. We're from the Poconos and also had Pella windows and doors and never had an issue. We replaced the Anderson and Builders First Choice b/c there were so many issues right from the start. Don't buy those for sure.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

In 2009 we purchased 16 Pella Impervia Replacement windows through a Pella window store. They measured, ordered and installed them in a timely fashion. Over these few short years, however, we are EXTREMELY disappointed with these windows. We have re-caulked all of them, in fact, the upstairs windows were never caulked by them. They are not energy efficient at all. One can stand in front of many of them and feel a breeze between the top and bottom sections of the double hung windows. We also get a lot of condensation on the inside of these windows - this happens even with the use of a dehumidifier running that keeps our house at a 35 to 40% humidity level.

At the time of purchase, we inquired about storm windows for them, but were told they weren't needed because Pella windows were so energy efficient that Pella does not even make storms for their windows. That statement turned out to be a very arrogant comment for a very POOR product. We are very DISSATISFIED with these windows. Would NOT use a Pella product for any future home we build or own and would definitely NOT RECOMMEND them to anyone. For the money spent (top dollar) on these windows, we most certainly expected a much, much better quality product. Very misleading statements and very poor business attitude.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

Pella never answered my calls for service and help during my warranty years. In 2015, Lowe's staff gave me a hotline number. In January 2016, a service rep confirmed the defective window leaked for over 4 years and destroyed my room under it. Pella said, "Buy a new window. It is out of warranty." I have never been satisfied with any service or product they sold. This Pella install architectural series window that destroyed my room was not suitable for egress, which was the reason I bought it. I did not pay the remainder of the bill. That's the only time they came out what's to get their money during the warranty. I had 2 different roofs replaced. Both roofers came out multiple times after replacement looking for leaks. One discovered the window defect years later, yet still in the warranty period.

My other Pella windows never opened or closed properly. The outside screens did not swing out and back for cleaning or removal as required at the time of purchase. Weather stripping on the double-hungs falls off. I cannot use it and get air infiltration. I have had to pay contractors to try to help me. This service associate who visited was helpful and nice. I cannot get the third window back on other designer series windows.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

We in good faith purchased a full house full of new Pella Impervia fiberglass windows and Sliding Pella Impervia doors from Lowe's store in CA. What we got and are still dealing with at this date 1/18/2016 is a poor quality product. The windows are made very poorly. The corners are not mitered well, crooked grills, exposed glue, cracked fiberglass fins, condensation on windows, poor sales service, poor customer service, among poor quality windows and doors that have had to be reordered due to very poor craftsmanship.

Also, the Pella Impervia Windows steam up at night, so much that you can not see out of them!! This is not caused by a humidity issues from inside our house! Pella tells you to leave your windows open at night, which allows everyone to see in your house to prevent this from happening! I do not understand how that can be a solution, when at night, you want to be able to close your window's drapes so no one can see inside your house as a preventative theft measure. So Steer clear of purchasing Pella windows and door from Pella, unless you want to deal with these issues and headaches!! Is anyone else having these issues?? Let's get a class action lawsuit against Pella FOR SELLING A POOR quality product that should be removed from the market.

Pella Company Information