Need a window & door company?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.70/5

627 Pella Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 5, 2016

We spent $25,000 on all new Pella windows & doors for our 100 year old Craftsman home. The windows and doors look great, but there are some design issue that have caused problems. The worst problem Sliding Doors from Pella that lock themselves. They lock themselves because in Pella's unusual handle design for the slider, they placed the lever that locks the door in a position where your hand often flips the lever in "lock" position when you are simply trying to slide the door open or closed.

If you happen to be closing it on your way into the house, you just have to unlock it again. BUT if you are closing it on the way out, and don't have keys in your pocket -- sorry, you are locked out. When I asked Pella repair why they would not correct the design flaw, they said it wasn't covered under warranty. That's disgusting. If they designed very expensive items that don't work properly, they should fix the flaws -- warranty or not. They've got my money. I've got bad doors. The company doesn't appear to care.

Original review: April 2, 2016

I have Pella Pro Line windows in my 20 year old house. They are not very well constructed and they rot and leak rather quickly. I have had to replace 7 or 8 of the windows and one of the windows is rotted again for the third time, meaning I have already replaced it twice. I have contacted Pella twice over the last 10 years or so asking for some help with the cost of replacing these defective windows. The letters to their CEOs over the 10 year period have not produced any help. They keep telling me that the windows are beyond the warranty period which I think is one year for parts and workmanship. Obviously not a very good product if they only guarantee it for one year.

They also go on to say that they have no control over environmental conditions. Do they mean they have no control over rain and snow which we have lots of all over the planet, and that a reasonably well made window should be able to manage quite easily. I will no longer buy any Pella products, and I would strongly suggest that anyone looking for windows for their home would think very hard about buying any Pella products.

Original review: April 1, 2016

Have used them many of times. Their Service People are rude. I'm on the call list apparently and they do not stop no matter what you ask. Windows do not hold up like Pella - destroys them for a great comfortable price. Used Andersen 4 years. Will only use Pella now.

Original review: April 1, 2016

Pella is misleading. They offered a discount in the spring and after an inhome quote, stated that our 1926 house had non-standard doors and couldn't quote the job. The quote took more than 10 days to receive. Just a waste of time.

Original review: March 20, 2016

I wanted to repair my 15-year old Pella sliding door before I replace. Horrible experience, almost as bad as dealing with Sears. I started in July going into the store, nice, told me to call customer service. Several phone calls, no one calls back. Finally in Early September an service call is set in late Sept for a service man to come and look at my door for $125.00. Just look, but don't fix. Since the guy makes his own schedule, he will call you the night before to give you a time frame. The guy never called. I was home, the showed up, fixed a few things, said he would have to come back and that he would put in this file, not to charge me again for the visit.

Pella thought otherwise. I waited a few weeks for a call back and for a appt, no call back. The service never put in an for my order. Someone did, but they would have to charge me again. Finally in January, someone else came, fixed a lock. Still no weather stripping, and now the door needs new bottom wheels. Once again, Pella says now I would have to pay $240 for the serviceman to come out the fix what should have been done the 1st or second time. Also, they was 3 pages of window measurements for my house which the guy stayed the whole time on my back deck. No matter what I said, if I wanted the door fixed, it was not $240.00 for labor to finish the job. I will try going to the Home Depot for the parts and have my handyman finish the job. Horrible customer service. Would never recommend Pella to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pella?

Original review: March 2, 2016

We paid for materials and installation of 13 windows and a front door. The sale was fine but after that went downhill fast. First try at installing left windows out of plumb and busted vinyl siding all around the house. Second try was better but the windows had trash in between the glass. The door sidelite was a different color than the door, the door had the wrong hardware. In the end, they said that we were sold something they couldn't provide (quality). They give us (not willingly) a 3k dollar refund to replace the siding and one of the windows that they couldn't get right. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

We installed 16 Pella windows (new construction) and one Pella sliding door. From day one, the condensation on the interior around the edges was terrible. The wood developed mold on it, although we attempted to continually dry the windows. I have been told it is due to the metal spacer between the panes. At year 9, all the exterior metal clad came loose from the windows. They started leaking and the frame rotted. The wood developed mold around the windows. You can actually see outside through the rotted wood.

Contacted Pella while the windows were under warranty. They sent a service tech out and he pounded the metal clad back in place and then silicones all the windows. Said he would go back to the shop and get new windows ordered. Never happened. I have continued to contact Pella and was told that they were involved in a class action lawsuit and their hands were tied. After the lawsuit was settled, I received a letter from Pella telling me I could get 30% off of new Pella windows (as a result of the settlement). My question - why would anybody in their right mind do business with Pella? They don't honor their warranty and don't care about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

Purchased new dual pane windows and sliding glass doors for our entire house back in 2008. Recently we noticed one of the windows appears to be cloudy or has the look of having steam on it. I tried to clean it thinking it might be something that might wipe off but unfortunately it did not. I called the Pella customer service number and the person told me that a Pella technician will come out to investigate the window for a $75.00 CHARGE. He then said if in fact the window is defective (which it is) then we would have to pay for the labor at $150.00 per hour. This is not fair because we bought these windows thinking we were purchasing a quality product.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

Bought a whole series of new construction windows and sliding glass doors with built in blinds. However, one of the windows keeps developing a large condensation spot dead center on the inside of the stationary part of the window. All year long. And in the winter it turns to frost. I called tech support and they say it is not the window, but it is an environmental issue is my home. All the windows and doors are on the same wall and all together. So how can it be an "environmental" issue? Wouldn't it affect all of them? Paid a lot of money for this top of the line stuff. NOT HAPPY with Pella's lack of help.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

We purchased Pella 13 years ago in current home. We purchased the wood framed windows. Top of the line. They're expensive but worth every penny. Also changed our sliding glass doors. I have not had a single problem with them. We purchased them right from Pella. Not through a hardware store. Sorry to hear all of the problems people are having. We're from the Poconos and also had Pella windows and doors and never had an issue. We replaced the Anderson and Builders First Choice b/c there were so many issues right from the start. Don't buy those for sure.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

In 2009 we purchased 16 Pella Impervia Replacement windows through a Pella window store. They measured, ordered and installed them in a timely fashion. Over these few short years, however, we are EXTREMELY disappointed with these windows. We have re-caulked all of them, in fact, the upstairs windows were never caulked by them. They are not energy efficient at all. One can stand in front of many of them and feel a breeze between the top and bottom sections of the double hung windows. We also get a lot of condensation on the inside of these windows - this happens even with the use of a dehumidifier running that keeps our house at a 35 to 40% humidity level.

At the time of purchase, we inquired about storm windows for them, but were told they weren't needed because Pella windows were so energy efficient that Pella does not even make storms for their windows. That statement turned out to be a very arrogant comment for a very POOR product. We are very DISSATISFIED with these windows. Would NOT use a Pella product for any future home we build or own and would definitely NOT RECOMMEND them to anyone. For the money spent (top dollar) on these windows, we most certainly expected a much, much better quality product. Very misleading statements and very poor business attitude.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2016

Pella never answered my calls for service and help during my warranty years. In 2015, Lowe's staff gave me a hotline number. In January 2016, a service rep confirmed the defective window leaked for over 4 years and destroyed my room under it. Pella said, "Buy a new window. It is out of warranty." I have never been satisfied with any service or product they sold. This Pella install architectural series window that destroyed my room was not suitable for egress, which was the reason I bought it. I did not pay the remainder of the bill. That's the only time they came out what's to get their money during the warranty. I had 2 different roofs replaced. Both roofers came out multiple times after replacement looking for leaks. One discovered the window defect years later, yet still in the warranty period.

My other Pella windows never opened or closed properly. The outside screens did not swing out and back for cleaning or removal as required at the time of purchase. Weather stripping on the double-hungs falls off. I cannot use it and get air infiltration. I have had to pay contractors to try to help me. This service associate who visited was helpful and nice. I cannot get the third window back on other designer series windows.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2016

We in good faith purchased a full house full of new Pella Impervia fiberglass windows and Sliding Pella Impervia doors from Lowe's store in CA. What we got and are still dealing with at this date 1/18/2016 is a poor quality product. The windows are made very poorly. The corners are not mitered well, crooked grills, exposed glue, cracked fiberglass fins, condensation on windows, poor sales service, poor customer service, among poor quality windows and doors that have had to be reordered due to very poor craftsmanship.

Also, the Pella Impervia Windows steam up at night, so much that you can not see out of them!! This is not caused by a humidity issues from inside our house! Pella tells you to leave your windows open at night, which allows everyone to see in your house to prevent this from happening! I do not understand how that can be a solution, when at night, you want to be able to close your window's drapes so no one can see inside your house as a preventative theft measure. So Steer clear of purchasing Pella windows and door from Pella, unless you want to deal with these issues and headaches!! Is anyone else having these issues?? Let's get a class action lawsuit against Pella FOR SELLING A POOR quality product that should be removed from the market.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

Unbelievable incompetence several times over. I go to East Bay of San Francisco store in September 2015 to get a simple replacement clip for a screen, which I take to the store. They don't have one. Fine. Guy takes photo and says they will send me the clip. Clip doesn't arrive after 2 weeks. I call. They don't have record of me. They take information again but say they are having some warehouse problems and don't know if they have the clip or not. Say they will get back to me.

Surprise surprise they don't. Weeks go by while they assure me they have the clips and it is just a question of finding one, nothing arrives. December arrives and out of thin air a woman calls to say they haven't forgotten about me and will send the clip the following week. They don't. January 7th I call them back. They claim they sent me a clip in November making no acknowledgement they had called in December to say they were sending a clip. They now assure me again they will call tomorrow to confirm they are sending the clip. Unbelievable. I need the clip for a client to get paid on a $400 job. So while the clip is worth maybe 50c it is costing me $400 not to have it. So many times they could have come through on this and so many times they didn't. Lousy inventory system, lousy communications and lousy service.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

I dislike the product and your prices are ridiculous. I migrated to accent Southwest on my newer Windows and love everything about them. My existing Pella Windows cause me nothing but trouble and expensive service calls to remedy. They do not close properly. They are under 10 years old. Matheny are crafty. They cannot maintain and repair a product that is about 10 years old. Their service calls are expensive. They do not take responsibility for the product. Terrible service. Please take me off your mailing get list.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

We simply needed two windows replaced. Unfortunately, the measurer did not measure one window correctly, so when the installer arrived, he could not complete the work. Because we had to wait for a window to be reordered our financing ended up in two separate accounts. I monitored the monthly amount to make sure to avoid interest and even called prior to the end of the first account deadline to assure accuracy, but was given inadequate information and ended up paying $400 additional dollars in interest. Not only were the windows a poor quality, but the financing ended up being a fiasco.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

Uninsulated Garage door ordered 11/15 with estimated delivery of 12/10. Day comes and goes with no communication. On 12/18 I call to see what the delay is. I am told the associate is going to call the shipper and get back to me. No response, I call again a few days later and am told the door was lost. They can ship me an insulated upgrade to be here 01/01/16 or I can wait till 01/11 for an uninsulated. I request the quickest they can ship one, whatever it is. 01/04 now. I find out they never shipped anything. I should now be getting the door by next week. Going on 2 months from the date of order.

I actually work for Lowe's and often cover the dept which sells these doors. I priced out Home Depot and it was cheaper even with my employee discount but went with Lowe's/Pella because I work here. I will not in the future be recommending Pella doors. I'm fortunate this is my issue and I don't have to deal with this being one of the contractors I work with.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2015

Window installed in 2003. Wood frame, maintained and painted 3x since then. Crank window doesn't close properly. Starting to get rot on sill. Called about warranty, their system was down. But since it was over ten years old... no warranty. OK. Still need it repaired. How much? $160 for service call! Over $100 to fix window! Will probably replace but NOT with Pella.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

I purchased Pella Impervia windows from the Monroeville Showroom near Pittsburgh, PA. Ordered 10 windows and 1 sliding glass door. 2 windows were cracked in the fiberglass and 5 had chips in the fiberglass on the outside of the window. The vinyl sliding door had a large scratch on the thread. Pella representative, Warren, sent two replacement windows and a repair man that used my paint pen to dab paint into the chip areas. The repair man said I would have to get sand paper and sand the scratch out of the sliding door. Warren hasn't returned my last two calls.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Poor customer service. Placed warranty claim before expiration. Delayed acknowledgement until after 2 weeks of expiration then denied claim. Rotted windows after 8 years never opened. Big name, poor design and quality.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

We ordered a Pella bay window several yrs. ago from Lowe's and they measured it wrong, sent the wrong window, a real fiasco. Finally got it straightened out. Now we need new corner picture windows. We asked for a Pella Rep to come out and measure to make sure we didn't run into the same problem. They sent a Pella Rep. He measured. The windows came on Nov. 13, 2015, but 3" too tall. I don't know how someone can measure that much off. I can see a fraction of an inch, but 3"?? Now we are being told that they are going to remake them but that LOWE'S has to eat the original window cost! How can this be Lowe's fault when Pella came out and measured wrong? This will be the last window we purchase from Pella. What a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

In 1998, I had a Pella Patio Door and several windows professionally installed. Lately, it has been very difficult to open, slide open, the door. I figured that the casters (rollers) had failed. After all, the installed windows are perfectly fine. I took the sliding door off the track to discover that the casters (rollers) did not fail. That the wood had rotted away which forced the casters (rollers) to recess into the wood itself. After reading all the issues over these patio doors, I am greatly disappointed. Apparently, there was even a class action lawsuit in 2012 but unfortunately, I never heard anything about it. As a result, I am out of a patio door and will need to replace it. I can tell you one thing... h** will have to freeze over before I even buy another Pella.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I have had an issue with my Pella window fogging up in my house for over 15 years especially when the temperature turn cold. I have had Pella out to inspect at $75 a visit to just tell me it's humidity. I don't understand why my Andersen windows that are 20 yrs old in the house don't have the same issue. Pella also tries to tell me it's the side of the house the windows are located, well it happens on the left side and the back of my house. It's frustrating since the windows were expensive and they don't stand behind their product, the only solution they offer is sending me cleaning instructions. I ask why bow Pella window is exempt from the fog issue since the humidity in my house is the issue.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

We got what we paid for - a cheaper window (than Andersen) is a cheaper product. The installation was less than cleaned up and the damage done to my home has still not been rectified. I've been waiting over 6 weeks!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

Came home tonight to hear crackling at the front door. Opened it to find the storm door completely shattered and beginning to crumble. No apparent reason. Temp outside is 50. No trouble with the door up till now. Had it about 10-15 yrs. Terrible mess to clean up & still don't have it all.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

After noticing a crack in the glass of one of my Pella Windows, I called and arranged for a service man to check the damage and give me an estimate for repair. It is a single pane stationary window, with tinted UV coating, and is not made to open or close. It also has a removable inside storm window. Upon seeing the window, the serviceman quickly said Pella no longer make windows in those frames. Since the frame is still in good condition, I then asked for him to give me an estimate only to replace the broken glass. That's when he said, "the glass cannot be replaced because of the way it is sealed in the aluminum clad frame". In other words, there is nothing Pella can do to repair the glass. I find it AMAZING that a representative from Pella is actually telling me that the glass on one of their windows cannot be replaced. In other words, if it breaks, TOO BAD. I am now looking for a repairman that can figure out how to replaced the glass.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

Windows rotted in 12 years from installation. $6000 later the same crap is back. And they don't properly close. Junk, junk, junk. This company is a fraud. Run away. Do not buy Pella. They are crap. Made in Mexico and crap, crap, crap. RUN.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Windows installed improperly & are leaking causing dining room ceiling leak - awaiting resolution!!! Very disgusted!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

We bought replacement windows for our whole house through a contractor who got them from Lowe's. They looked OK at first glance but after moving in the home we first had (and still have) a difficult time opening them. However the big problem is the components are separating or warping. Have written to Pella twice and sent photos showing the issues. No answer at all. Not even an acknowledgment of receiving the complaint.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

For 5 years I managed the Pella Business in CT and NY. Our Customer Service rating was amongst the lowest in the 60 branch organization and by far the lowest of the large branches. A major weakness of the system is that when you purchase Pella you are NOT dealing with the manufacturer except in regards to the product. The product is manufactured by Pella Corporation, but SOLD by franchises or private companies that have signed a Pella Window Agreement. The main motivation of this group of owners is Profit and NOT service and/or long term relationships. Service Cost money and in CT and NY they have gone through 7 service managers in 6 years with the most recent hire QUITTING after a few months. They do not believe in Service.

I am now on the building side - I waited 11 weeks for a service event. This Monday, the Service Tech NO Showed on our client. No phone call, NO email. No call to reschedule. I began calling my old contacts. No return call. I finally reached one of the great employees - Myrna, who gave me the earliest scheduled service call - 2 more weeks later. This is NOT a coincidence. This is NOT an rare occurrence. For 5 years I took calls from customers like me trying my best to explain away this HORRIBLE service.

Pella Company Information