2. Homeowners

MTD

MTD
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.53/5

MTD Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2019

I purchased an MTD lawn mower 7/30/2018 and used it 3 times before putting it up for the winter. It was stored under a protected carport. I used only gasoline that had been treated for ethanol. When I tried to start it in April 2019 it would not start. I took it to authorized service and paid $85 to have it diagnosed. Their evaluation was that it needed a new carburetor and that it was not covered by warranty. I called the MTD customer service and they said that "due to EPA requirements that the jets in the carburetor had been made smaller and that was probably the problem". They also said it was not covered by warranty. I've read many other reviews saying the same kind of thing. This company should not be allowed to sell a product that only lasts for 3 uses.

Original review: July 27, 2018

MTD is a good mower for it's age of (26) years. I can still get parts at local shops and online. Easy to work on not like a car can still find working support from MTD.

Get expert buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Bought mower (Troy Bilt Model# 13YX79KT011) 12/15. Steering went out the first summer I mowed. Two year warranty so local service center "fixed". Mowed so more. Steering went out. Service center "fixed". This went on 5 or 6 times over the two year warranty. Fast forward to this summer, 5/18, steering went out. Local service center picks up, replaces steering shaft, gear, and tightening screw. Mowed one time. Steering went out. Warranty is lapsed so that cost me $65. Call service center. They tell me they can't fix it and I should call Troy Bilt. I call Troy Bilt. Sat on phone menu hell for 30 minutes waiting for their one operator to pick up. Initiated chat while I waited. The chat customer service representative (Britny) told me to try a different Troy Bilt service center and the $65 I'm out is between me and the service center not Troy Bilt.

The telephone customer service rep (Stephanie) told me she couldn't find her technical supervisor but took my information and was going to call me back when she found her supervisor. That was yesterday. They still haven't called. So I have a 2.5 year old mower sitting under a shade tree while the grass grows. This is a two fold problem. The product is deficient and that is complicated by the ineptness of the local service center. I will never own another MTD product. Fool me once... I ordered a John Deere yesterday. We will see how that goes. And yes. I did call another Troy Bilt service center yesterday to see if they can fix the mower. They are charging me $46 just to come pick the mower up so the drain continues. The sad thing about this is when the Troy Bilt steers it has really nice cut but I can't afford to pay $65 every time I mow. Learn from my pain and frustration. Stay away from MTD products. They are cheap for a reason.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Troy-Bilt, MTD purchased approximately 7 to 10 products. Not once have I went through the warranty process, needless to say on a new lawnmower. Never used at all whatsoever purchased under 49 days. A loud clonking sound occurred. Having not once used, Troy-Bilt felt it's ethical that I send it to a dealer to repair, taking into consideration I would have purchased a used lawn-mower. Best aspect of all, they informed me to deal with Lowe's. How is a manufacturer unable to help a customer but yet anticipate a store to help. Worse customer service ever. Not a single email fromTroy-Bilt has anyone left the name of whom I am speaking with which shows that you are not dealing with a person, you're dealing with an order taker.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Yard Machine 21" 550E Series - I purchased my Yard Machine self propelled mower less than one year ago. It just stopped yesterday. I spent an entire morning trying to match the spark plug, and replaced the old one. Also replaced the air filter. Nothing. Mower was still dead. Then I get the number for the service warranty. I call, and get a message that says they are busy helping customers, don't leave a message because they don't check them. The mower is obviously not well made, and the service providers MTD contracts with are anything but customer friendly. I would never purchase one of their products again. The mower was purchased at Home Depot in Venice, FL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Have had our MTD 18.5 HP Yard Machine for 33 years. Still running strong. Has dual deck. Use to cut five acres of rough pasture land with it. Put chains on the rear tires to give more traction when cutting on steep grades. Great machine.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I bought a Yard Machine 21' Self Propelled Mower about 2 months ago from Home Depot and I cut my grass once. The second time I started cutting my grass I was about half way and it stopped. I tried to restart it and it started 3 times and stopped 3 times then would not start again. I took it back and with a little moxy I got a new lawn mower still in the box but guess what. This so called brand new lawn mower with fresh gasoline and the oil that came in the box. This brand new one will not start at all so now I get to take this thing back also. PS: Did I mention brand new in the box and will not start?

Original review: May 28, 2017

Two walk behind mowers and one trimmer and it's three strikes they're out. Works for most of a season on the mowers, and about half for the trimmer. This is the downside of once reliable brands being swallowed up in corporate b.s. Plenty of customer reviews to read before buying any other brands.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I purchased this MTD Yard machine 21" push mower yesterday from Menards. My grass was long and my old mower was falling apart. I took it home and put it together. Added the oil that came in the box and put fresh gas in. After priming, it started right up...and died within 5 seconds. I tried several times and as long as I primed it 3 or more times, it started immediately and promptly died. I called the company, they said "Take it back to the store just as it is right now. It is defective." Luckily I had bought the warranty for $15.

I took it back to Menards and they said they would take it back, but I had to go home with it and drain the oil and gas. I asked if I could do it there, and they refused. I reiterated I had been told to bring it in as is, and they said they weren't the ones to tell me that. No matter that I lived 20 minutes away. So I did take it home and drained the oil and gas and brought it back. They did give me a full refund. I did not want another unit. I think next time I will go to a local business that will service what they sell.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I bought a Remington weed eater made by MTD last year at Northern Tool. It ran great last year, I followed all the directions on storing it through the winter, drained the tank. This year I got it out and it wouldn't start, changed the plug, then discovered it wasn't picking up gas to carb. Bought a new primer and installed, it's doing same thing.

This weed eater was over a 100.00. I am recently in remission from cancer and my money doesn't come easy, but it's nice to know for future references that when you spend this kind of money that customer service has no time for you only to tell you they can't help you. It bothers me a lot to know that while a small portion of my money went towards the company, and they can't help me, had it been a couple of years I can see where that would be the issue, but it was last year. I hope you sleep well knowing your product was defaulted and you can't help a customer that trusted you. I will not be buying any more of your products, ever!!!

Not sure about MTD?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Riding Mower for you.

Modern Tool and Die Company expert review by ConsumerAffairs

MTD has an 80-year history with a headquarters in Valley City, Ohio. This riding mower manufacturer focuses on mid-range options for residential customers and commercial usage.

• 1.36-gallon fuel tank: This fuel tank holds enough gas to complete small yards.

• 20 HP: The mid-range engine provides enough power for the typical homeowner.

• Affordable: These affordable riding mowers provide a budget conscious option for homeowners.

• 2-year warranty: A limited warranty gives protection against problems soon after purchase.

• 42-inch deck: This cutting deck accommodates up to two-acre lawns without difficulties.

• Best for: Residential homeowners wanting an affordable riding mower option.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team