MTD

Compare Riding Mowers

Research top Riding Mowers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a new MTD lawn mower in April 2016, using Briggs & Stratton engine. I replaced the oil, used the engine according to guidelines as any normal consumer would, I used the thing 4 or 5 times, each time for 1 or 2 hours... then the engine block (probably connecting rod) exploded... I checked the oil level before this last usage and it was normal. After 1 hour of work the engine exploded. I am lucky not getting the shot from the engine into my leg. Of course, the warranty claim is rejected with default answer "not adequate oiling" of the engine.

I did question to your representative, by phone and had not intention to give info, about start pull cord. He said if I don't see the machine I cannot give info. I was by phone, how he can see this, this is... and attitude was for not get intention to give orientation. It is the worst customer representative I have found from all the companies that have service in spanish.

I purchased a brand new Yard Machines lawnmower in May and it died after only 4-5 cuts. It came pre-assembled from Sears and I followed all of the instructions that came with the lawnmower including adding gas and oil. I even kept it in a shed behind the house so that it was not exposed to the weather. When it stopped working, it had somehow ran out of oil... Maybe it leaked, burned up, I'm not sure but Yard Machines (MDT Products) refused to cover it by the warranty stating that it overheated due to having no oil in it and that could only be caused by customer neglect. I even contacted their head office hoping that they would come to their senses but they refused to help me. Now, I have a lawnmower that has been used for less than 2 hours total that is going to the dump. This was my first AND LAST time buying this brand!

Only got 2 uses out of a Bolens mower and warranty won't cover repair because they say it was bad fuel. I bought a Bolens 21" walk behind lawn mower with large rear wheels from Lowe's in June 2016 because my other mower (Weed Eater from Walmart) had died after 4 years. Heard that Briggs & Stratton engines were good (Weed Eater had one) and thought something from Lowe's would have a good warranty. Liked the big rear wheels -- thought it would push nicely. I am a 64-year-old woman and use a ride-on mower for most of my yard, but need a push mower for the hilly parts and areas between garden beds, and along the road, etc. Although I'd never used it before, I bought a bottle of Sta-Bil additive as recommended by the salesman. Filled up my gas can at 7-11 and added 1/2 bottle of the Sta-Bil. The mower worked beautifully that day and again one week later.

The next week, I added more fuel (from the same container) and the mower started and ran for a few minutes but then died. I tried to restart it -- no luck. Called the customer service number on sticker on mower. Was told to take it to Cecil's Tractor in nearby town because they handled the warranty service. Had to wait 10 days for them to look at it -- not their fault, it's the middle of mowing season and they're very busy. Verdict is that the carburetor needs cleaned and/or replaced and this service is not covered by the warranty because the problem is due to bad fuel. I put the same fuel in my ride-on mower and it is still working. Minus the Sta-bil, I also filled up my SUV and it ran fine -- don't think it was the fuel or the Sta-Bil.

Repair shop (Cecil's Tractor) says cleaning the carburetor will cost $95 and if that doesn't work it will be an additional $75 to replace the carburetor (could cost up to $170). I don't have that kind of money after just paying $179 for the mower only 3 weeks ago! I will never buy another Bolens, MTD, or Briggs & Stratton product if this is the lousy warranty that they have -- you'd think that if a mower wouldn't start within 1 month of purchase you'd just get a new one or they'd repair it for free. Things aren't what they used to be! I'm bringing the mower home and will try to find a student at the high school where I teach who wants to try cleaning a carburetor (kids like that are much harder to find these days -- in the 1960s when I was a teen, most boys tinkered with engines).

I've got a Remington string trimmer I bought end of season 2015. I used it 2 times in 2015. Ran it completely out of has prior to storing it for a long Wisconsin winter. Spring 2016 came. Put fresh 40:1 mixture gas in it, ran it the first time. Ran great. Second time after weather got warmer. Ran it for about 30 minutes, it shuts off when it gets hot and won't restart till it cools off. Called MTD, they sent me to OK Hardware in Amherst Wisconsin, closest authorized dealer near me. I went there and Dave made an adjustment and cleaned out the carburetor. Said, "Try that".

Took it home. Couple days later went to use the Remington string trimmer. Got about 15 minutes into weed eating my yard. Iit died and wouldn't start until cooled off. I called OK Hardware and they told me they are an authorized REPAIR NOT RETAILER yet they've got about 30 of these string trimmers hanging for sale in the store. The owner of Hardware store told me he's never seen MTD exchange one out that I had to call MTD back and rectify the problem with them. I called MTD Warranty center and asked me why the OK Hardware Store in Amherst Wisconsin wasn't working with me on the problem. My reply was, "I don't know. That's why I'm on the phone with you!!!"

At first the lady from warranty center told me Remington is not made by them and are now bankrupt. I asked why that hardware store is still selling their products. I was put on hold. 5 minutes later she came back saying she gave me the wrong information that it was vursa or whatever she said not Remington. Anyways my wife travel nurses. We travel every 13-16 weeks. Shows how much I'd use a string trimmer 5-6 times!!! She said without a receipt they wouldn't do anything for me. The machine is date stamped 2015, it's only 2016 and like I said, 6 months during winter months I don't weed eat the snow!!!

BUYER BEWARE. I WOULDN'T EVEN GAVE THEM ONE GET THE RUN AROUND. 1 person, "Yeah we will take care of you." The next saying, "Nothing we can do for you." Lesson learned. Read reviews before buying something. Look at MTD'S reviewer rating, 1.5 stars out of 5!! People, please don't waste your money!!! This company will not back their products!!! I wouldn't even gave them one star but had to proceed to leaving my review. The warranty center people are rude and talk down to you!!! Do not buy from OK Hardware Amherst, Wisconsin and definitely don't buy MTD products. You will regret it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

I bought this weed trimmer at Lowe's one year ago. It is very difficult to start. It will not stay running when. Throttle is advanced. It will run occasionally OK after a 20 minute warm up. The line advance (bump head) broke after 1 month. Adding line is a pain. I sold it at our yard sale.

Bought a yard machine push mower last summer. Won't start for start of season. Fresh gas, changed spark plugs, checked oil, cleaned air filter. That's about the extent of my mechanical ability. Before taking it in to a repair shop, I called for warranty. Won't honor 2-year warranty without proof of purchase. I don't have a receipt for a $250 cash purchase from Home Depot from last summer. My fault for not saving the receipt, but a product that has less than 25 hours of use and won't start is unacceptable.

Purchased the chainsaw (Versa Chainsaw Model RM1635W) from Lowe's. Have used them before and for this time watched YouTube and read all instructions before use, so knew that with initial use adjusting the tightness of the chain would be necessary after use. This needed to be done after about 15 minutes of using it. The next day used it again and the bolts and entire casing fell off (needless to say, the chain came off also). One bolt was lost in the brush and when I went out to find another bolt, they are specialty bolts that Lowe's doesn't carry.

When I returned to the house, someone else had taken the housing and other parts laying beside the chainsaw thinking they were to be removed during this property clean out and I have been unable to find them anywhere, so went to Lowe's again. They don't sell the parts - Sears does, but Lowe's recommended calling the Remington Customer Service number "since the product is under warranty".

I had already registered the chainsaw through Remington, so they had the model # and serial number. I called and spoke with 3 people during the day - the first explained that the company had been sold and they had limited parts available (of course), and that if I wanted parts, I would have to figure out what they were called and look them up on the internet to provide THEM with the serial numbers to see if they even had them!!! I did that (found the numbers on a SEARS site after picking through the diagram for the model) and called back. The cost to me would be half what I paid for the chainsaw and more for shipping, so I decided to give up until it occurred to me that the warranty (these warranties on these products are useless) should have covered these items since the thing FELL APART.

So I called back and explained my reasoning and the agent left to "see what (he) could do"... giving the impression that they are talking to a supervisor when in fact they probably just have standard instructions. He got back on the line and said they could offer me a 10% discount and free shipping and that the warranty was only for manufacturing errors (do they ever take responsibility for their products?). Since I hated to have wasted the money for cutting down one small tree with the thing, I agreed to have the parts sent and am waiting a week for them to arrive. Long menus, very difficult process requiring the customer to do the work despite registering the product, and an expensive attempt to fix this product.

Bought a new MTD Gold lawn tractor after breaking a blade and breaking a spindle because the deck was set up wrong. Had order new parts. That is when I found out the mower was two years old. Then it was needed to replace the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. That was followed with two spindle bearing failures and two spindle pulleys break off the shafts. Replaced numerous belts - deck wheel fell off last year. Junk! I was a small engine repair instructor and in my late sixties. Never seen equipment this poor.

Developed a small oil leak with the 7000 series motor so was looking to see if this was just me. Guess not but easy repair. I have been buying MTD mowers for many years. Surprised to read so many bad times with them. My new style fab deck 54 inch Zero turn has been perfect. With 230 hrs.. My old 50in had 600 hrs when I sold it with one time replacement on belts. I have several friends that commercial mow and always go back to MTD when time to replace. FYI MTD builds most of today's non-commercial mowers- Sears, Troy Blt, Cubs and many others. Pretty much same mower, diff color. I will continue to use this line.

2013 MTD GOLD 21 HP MODEL #13AX915T004 - Bought this riding mower brand new in 2013. Biggest piece of ** I ever bought ($2,600.00). It has been in the shop (warranty refuses to pay) more than I have used it. It is two years old and barely and I mean barely has 8 hours on it. It had 3 hours on it when we bought it. We were told that was normal for MTD new tractors to have couple of hours on it. The deck belt keeps falling off for no reason. Has to go into the shop continuously. Battery has to be replaced three times already. Avoid MTD like the plague.

MTD Gold Riding Lawn Mower Model SV 620 - My lawn was built May 18, 2012. It is barely three years old. I have maintained it very well. Replacing fuel filter, oil filter and oil, and air filter before every mowing season. After the first year have had nothing but headache. Belt replacements, spindle replacement, and the carburetor issues (which is due to a faulty part they use). Finally, last week I was mowing, and stopped to remove a piece of debris in my yard. I put it in idle, and was off of it for not even a minute when it made a horrible sound. It threw a rod, and blew right through the engine. The engine is only warranted for 2 years. I missed the warranty period by a year. I will never buy another Kohler again.

Sears Craftsman Model C459-36310 Serial Number 1W084KA0625 - Warning, Warning, Warning. Do not buy lawn mowers and other lawn equipment manufactured by MTD Canada. I bought a Sears Craftsman / MD lawn mower in July 2014 used it approx.. 6 times over the summer and stored it in an insulated garage over the winter. I was unable to start it this year and so my horror story began. MTD does not stand behind their 2 year warranty. Having contacted them and Sears several times today it cost me $60 to get my lawn mower from MTD and Sears approved repair shop.

Having had my lawn professionally power raked etc this spring, I first tried to start my lawn mower in late May. As I was leaving on vacation I ended up having to borrow a neighbor's lawn mower. Upon return from a weeks vacation my saga began. I first contacted Sears Financial as I bought the mower on my Sears card. The woman was very helpful finding and supplying me a copy of my sales receipt. Telling me that the lawn mower was under a 2 year warranty. She then attempted to transfer me directly to MTD for warranty service but of course they were closed.

So last week a good friend of mine and I load the lawn mower into her SUV and we drive it across town (50th street and 67 ave) to the authorized repair shop. We walk in with the mower and two service guys look at each other and say "MTD?" Yup, and they kinda rolled their eyes…. I told them my story and they said they would take a look at it. So they called me yesterday and said that they would fix the lawn mower at the cost of labour only. $60 and change. The guy from the shop was very nice and apologized saying that MTD was very sticky about their warranty. I do not fault the repair shop. I understand that someone needs to pay for his staff and overhead.

So on the way home we stopped into Sears. I asked for ** the manager and told him that we had spoken over the phone. He took a copy of my sales receipt and the repair shop bill. Saying he would call them and see why the lawn mower was not covered under warranty. I mentioned the run around with MTD and said that I should not have needed to deal with MTD, but then now for the first time said if the problem was fuel related that warranty would not cover the repair. I asked how putting fuel (gas) into a gas powered lawn mower would basically what I understand VOID the WARRANTY.

I am tired of the song and dance. So just to warn customers once you put fuel into your lawn mower you are hooped. Since all of this began I have checked consumer websites such as this…. Funny how the website refers to MTD as “Modern Tool and Die Company.” Buyer Beware! What ever happened to If “ you are not completely satisfied bring it back”

PS. MTD sells their products under several brand names and Box stores. Check to see if it is MTD then hide your wallet and run. Hopefully more successfully and longer than their products!

Warning, do not buy a Yard-Man mower or anything with the MTD brand. The Yard-Man I bought less than three years ago came with a bad carburetor. Customer service (a joke) wanted me to take it to their nearest dealer which was 60 miles away. I finally had to pay $95 to have it replaced and had to write a letter to the CEO of MTD to get my refund. Now another problem where they sent me a part that did not fit, promised to call back but never did. Now they want me to take the mower to their service shop and pay for the repairs. Piece of junk, cheaply made, will not hold up to normal use. Customer service and parts department are no help at all.

On May 6th 2015, I went to mtdparts.com to order three simple parts for a mower I purchased at Home Depot. Blade adapter, bolt and blade. $41.72 was the total. I hit the 'place order' button, the page refreshed and a red ERROR banner was across the top of the page stating "the address we have on file does not match this account please call cust service to place your order". At first I thought maybe I entered the info wrong so I redid the form, hit submit again, and again, same error on the refreshed page. IMPORTANT - because this page still had the PLACE ORDER button, I assumed that NOTHING had occurred. I was wrong. IMMEDIATELY, MTD had placed an authorization hold on the order amount. IMMEDIATELY. This happened TWICE it turned out. Each time I hit the place order button.

So, to summarize, was on site, hit 'place order', order was rejected IMMEDIATELY but authorization was place. Well, today, (June 2) I tried again. Same problem the first time, so I stopped and quickly called customer service. I realized this time, that an order had been authorized as I IMMEDIATELY got the authorization email. When I got on the phone with the first cust service person, they informed me that the order had been rejected, so "no money was removed from your account". To which, I explained that "YES", they were right no money had been transferred, but THEIR SYSTEM HAD AUTHORIZED A PURCHASE THAT THEY HAD IMMEDIATELY REJECTED.

Well, needless to say, the first cust service rep didn't get it. Couldn't understand how it was THEIR system that was mistaken. Well, to prove this, I, while on the phone LIVE with a cust rep, placed the order again. This person took down my info carefully, entered it into their system, and as he hit the 'place order' button, AGAIN, I immediately got the AUTHORIZATION email from PayPal, however, he said to me in the same second, "Sir, it seems the address you gave was incorrect".

Now I tried to explain to him, it was not the info he entered, and the proof was that PayPal would have NEVER authorized the hold if the info was incorrect. Again, he didn't get it. As I tried to calmly explain, each rep became increasingly agitated, and ultimately we ended up ending the phone call. I called PayPal who could see the problem and immediately fixed it. But it should be noted here that their website and PayPal don't like each other, and it appears their IT department will never really know the problem because CUSTOMER SERVICE doesn't listen long enough to get it.

Sadly, this experience has forced me to step my mower game up, and NEVER again purchase the crap from the big box stores. Clearly, if you purchase an MTD product as an independent retail customer, you are taking chances with your yards maintenance. These people need to learn HOW to deal with and listen to customers, and FURTHER, they need to understand when a technical problem is THEIRS and not the fault or issue of the customer. Good ridden MTD.

We bought this mower from Lowe's when we moved in a new home in May of 2010. Before it was a year old, a wheel bracket broke off the deck. The next year a deck belt and steering ball joint assembly broke. In year three I had to fabricate front wheel bushings. Year four required drive and deck belts. This year I have had to order a steering link (the original was wallowed out so much the metal was the thickness of a paper clip), a shoot for the deck (original just fell off) and the local repair shop had to lock the electric carburetor fuel cut off valve open so it will run. I mow .6 acres of yard with a gentle slope. All of these things are a pain in the butt, but the worst thing is the rotten customer service.

If you order parts from them, 1) you get no confirmation of your order, 2) when you call to check on the confirmation, you can't find out when the parts will ship. Hint. It will be at least four days, and 3) if you try to cancel the order, you get a runaround about them not being able to contact the warehouse. MTD products are poorly built, and the customer service sucks. When this junk falls apart so badly that it can't be repaired, you can bet that my next mower will be made by someone other than MTD. Hopefully MTD will not have cornered the entire market by then.

I'd not recommend this product ever. All I have to say is that the deck is a waste of time. Fixing one of the spindles ripped off the deck and I had to buy a new one then another one ripped off as well. We ordered a ring to mount it on. Hopefully it will work.

Do not buy anything made by MTD. I bought a cub cadet tractor - worst thing I ever DID. DID not know it was made by MTD until later; would have never bought it if I knew - paid 2100.00 at Home Depot (1050 Cub Cadet 23hp). Before MTD bought out Cub Cadet they were very good before - now are junk. Also their customer service by Bill sucks, he should be fired for lying. My deck started making noise at 52 hours of course - their warranty was 50 hrs. Removed the deck, inspected all three blade bearing - would sloppy and loose. Called Bill with MTD, was rude and told me it was out of warranty. I have been a Ford tech for 30 plus years; all three blade bearings don't go bad at the same time. Asked him if he had seen any problems with them - flat out lied to me - I asked him who was the repair shop my area that they recommended.

I called and talked to the manager - he was very honest and nice and told him the concern I had. He said MTD was fully aware that they were having major failures because the bearing were sealed bearings and made in China and DID not have enough grease in a lot of them. I removed all three of them myself. Disassembled, sure enough, 'China' written on them. Get this, they were sealed bearing inside housing but housing had grease zerts to grease. Is that a joke or what? No help from MTD. Bought three at 119.00 each (x3), installed, then at 56 hours main drive belt failed. Replaced it, mowed yard three more times; now steering won't move. Looked down right tie rod link broke, replaced that. Next week end went to mow yard, won't crank. Got out, test light, battery - ok. Power to starter solenoid - no power to starter, solenoid had failed. Replaced now cranks.

Again three weeks later, went to mow yard, now cranks won't start. Spray carb with carb spray; runs then dies. Removed carb, found electronic fuel, shut off solenoid at carb failed, replaced, re-assembled, now runs again. Mowing a month later, mower blades would shut off after 1-2 min. mowing. When cold outside trans will just whine, won't move any direction. Dont buy MTD - junk. Thanks for taking my money, it will never happen again.

24" Snow blower with MTD Engine - Twice this winter this piece of junk snow blower failed to start when it was needed. Only one year old and useless. Carburetor on the MTD-made engine clogs if you sneeze. Now, I have to buy a REAL snow blower or pay someone to plow the driveway this winter. We had an old snow blower that started every winter for at least 10 years like clockwork, but this engine must have been designed by idiots! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

I ordered snow thrower parts on Thanksgiving 11/27; really needed replacement belt and shear pins. MTD did not ship the parts until 12/6. Claimed that they were very busy with Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, but my order was placed before that. Now it's 12/11. I have 10" of snow on the ground with more coming today, and no drive belt or shear pins for the snow thrower. Not happy with MTD. If they'd shipped within a reasonable time I wouldn't be in this fix.

Company claims I improperly installed the handlebars to my push behind lawnmower causing them to slide into the motor. Company also claims that if the pins and handlebars were properly installed then the failure would have never occurred. If what they say is true, the failure would have occurred the first time I turned on the lawnmower or shortly thereafter. Not 3 months down the road. Secondly, WHY would you even allow the ABILITY for the metal poles of the handlebar to slide ANYWHERE NEAR the lawnmower blade! They have been so far lucky, people haven't been seriously injured by this design flaw. Buyer beware! They will not stand behind their product and have flawed product designs!

I bought a 27cc Gas Brushcutter Lawn Trimmer. It suppose to have 2 year limited warranty. I took it back to the store that I got it from. They in turn sent it out to be fixed under warranty but the service person said that we modify it. We didn't - the only thing was that my husband was using it and the bolt fell out in the grass and he couldn't find it so he put another bolt in to hold it. Then it wasn't running right and stop working so they said it was the clutch and it wasn't under warranty. It's been in the shop for 4 weeks now and they said that because my husband put a bolt in and in their warranty book says it not cover so they are not paying the $20.00 part and $100.00 labor to put it in. But in the book online that comes with this model, it doesn't say anything about it not being cover. I have been on the phone for over 2 weeks talking to a answering machine or other warranty people but because they said that it was in their supervisor hand they couldn't help and never getting to talk to the supervisor. I did get a call today telling me that it wasn't cover due to their manual saying it wasn't cover. So confuse and very upset with MTD. We will never buy anything from this company again. It's got 2 year warranty and they don't stand behind it.

I recently purchased a Yard Machine mower, and within a few weeks I called because I could not get it started. I was told to bring it in for service, along with the receipt, and it will be repaired. I did this, and all was fine. After a few weeks, the problem happened again, so I called their customer service. In all my years I have never encountered such an arrogant woman at the other end of the phone. She continually interrupted me, blamed me for not doing this or that, and said the engine was a Briggs and Stratton, so it wasn't their problem, call them, etc. When I said I was going to make a complaint, she said, "Go ahead. I've been here for 18 years, and you won't get anywhere with it. Just google MTD and see." Well I did, and apparently she is right. Unbelievably poor customer service. I would never ever buy anything from MTD again. Buyer beware!!!!

MTD mower is of very poor quality. Hard to start and keep running from day one, even for my 16-yr old grandson! I think I was 'robbed'. I bought this mower Menards in Tinley Park IL 2 yrs ago. I should have gotten a Honda or Toro but had a limited budget. As a senior I am stuck since I can NOT afford another mower. American Products used to be well made years ago. Now much of our products are junk - made to be 'thrown away' after a short time.

I am writing this because this mower treated me well. I bought this riding mower 15 years ago and I changed the oil twice. I replaced the battery once and never Seen the inside of my garage that means left it outside all winter and every winter. Only taken the battery out for winter months. Never sharpened the blade once. Mowed my two acre lawn and graded my driveway with a pic of chain link Fence by dragging it. I smashed into my stone wall last summer and wrecked and Hood and blew tire out and still mowed the lawn for rest of season on a flat. Now upgrading it to a John deer. Hope John deer treats me as well.

Only good thing, it has Briggs Stratton engine, body work poorly made, cutter bearings waste of time. Had to fit own grease nipples. Belts cost fortune and can be easily destroyed by small twig. New batteries on these are allegedly substandard.

I brought a new MTD ride on 38" cut, only 12 months ago. In that time, I have replaced 4 belts, one set of blades, one spring and now it needs a new battery. Not happy at all. I was told when I brought the mower that they were very good for the price, and it's included a 2-year warranty. This is why I brought a new one for $2,100 rather than a second hand one for $1,500. I have spoken to the dealer a few times and have not got much help at all. Every time I go there, I spend more money and don't get much assistance. So far, I would have spent $400 on parts and repairs and now up for a new battery as well. To be fair, I did hit a rock earlier on and this is probably the need for new blades but not for 4 belts, a spring and a battery.

Just 2 days ago, purchased my most recent belt and mentioned to the consultant at the Ballarat MTD again about not being happy, and did he think the mower is too underpowered for my needs. I mentioned I have an acre block and the grass had got quite long. Also did he think I should upgrade to a better model and how much would it be worth. He said they are pretty basic mower. Mind you, this was the same guy who I bought this off and that it would only be worth about $800 to them. I said, "Well, what about privately?" He said $1,100 and that they would sell it for $1,600. Now I'm in sales myself and a 100% make is a bit rich, and to offer me $800 for a mower I paid $2,100 for 12 months ago is a joke! He also mentioned to me when I bought it that in a couple of years if I wanted to trade up, it would be worth about $1,500.

Now as mentioned, I bought a new belt 2 days ago and mowed about a quarter of my block and the New belt slipped off. I fitted it exactly how I was told to from the dealer. He also told me to only do a halve cut and to not mow over the excess grass and this was too much work for the mower. Now I have nearly finished mower today, and also cut a high level to start with, and the belt is halve burnt through again. This means after using this only once and not actually finishing my lawn, and now I'm going to need a new $48 belt to finish my lawn. Would have nearly been cheaper to pay someone to do it. Not happy and not sure what to do now!

The mower has been giving trouble since it was 2 months old. The 2-yr warranty was a scam. The worst riding mower ever! Do not buy!!

Over the years, I have owned many pieces of home maintenance power equipment, bought under several brand names. Everything worked well, performed as expected, and parts were readily available. Since the acquisition of these popular brand names to MTD, quality has fallen far below sub-par expectations, parts availability is near non-existent and customer support is a joke! If I can no longer purchase equipment that MTD does not have a portion of... I will sell my home, of many years, and live in a hut on the BEACH!!!!

The usual, you spend hard-earned money on a lawnmower and it turns out to be a POS. Used about 3 times and will not start and stay running.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

MTD has an 80-year history with a headquarters in Valley City, Ohio. This riding mower manufacturer focuses on mid-range options for residential customers and commercial usage.

• 1.36-gallon fuel tank: This fuel tank holds enough gas to complete small yards.
  • 20 HP: The mid-range engine provides enough power for the typical homeowner.
  • Affordable: These affordable riding mowers provide a budget conscious option for homeowners.
  • 2-year warranty: A limited warranty gives protection against problems soon after purchase.
  • 42-inch deck: This cutting deck accommodates up to two-acre lawns without difficulties.
  • Best for Residential homeowners wanting an affordable riding mower option.

Compare Riding Mower