2. Homeowners

Find deals on a new lawn mower

Shop and compare today on Cub Cadet

Visit Website

MTD Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MTD?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I ordered a riding mower with the Stow Hauler attachment on July 1,2020. I have received the mower, but have received no communication from MTD regarding the hauler. I have tried to contact them on numerous occasions, but get put on hold for A VERY LONG TIME, and ultimately have not been able to find out anything. They are hiding from the public because their service is SO POOR! I will make it a point in the future to NOT BUY these products. This company's interest in helping customers is non-existent. NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: May 7, 2020

I purchased a couple parts for my Huskee mower (MTD motor) on Sunday, 04/26 from mtdparts.com. I paid for the 2-4 day shipping option. Five days went by, and my order was still not shipped, so I finally attempted to contact MTD via phone and chat on Friday morning, 05/01. I waited on hold on the phone for an hour and a half, and kept trying the chat agent for two and a half hours (retrying when it said no agent was available), and got no contact with anyone. Finally, I received an email on Tuesday, 05/05, informing me my order shipped.

I understand things are tough with the COVID pandemic, but the utter lack of communication or announcements on any of MTD’s online presences (including MTDparts.com) is unacceptable. Even something like “all orders may be delayed” would have been fine. At least then, I’d know to go somewhere else if my needs were time-sensitive. It is absolutely infuriating that I cannot get anyone to give me an explanation, refund the extra shipping I paid, etc. I will never use MTDparts.com again.

Get buying tips about Riding Mower delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: April 27, 2020

First off I just have to say I absolutely love these negative reviews from people who bought one of these tractors and complain because it shuts off when they put it in reverse and they can't mow backwards, that is just hilarious, or they get out of the seat and the tractor dies so they go buy a new battery! LOL that is priceless! So anyway I have a 1997 Huskee GT and this thing has been the best garden tractor, mower, bulldozer, rototiller, snow plower oh, anything you can think of! I've pulled stumps with this thing!

MTD makes the absolute BEST yard equipment as far as I'm concerned and IF my 1997 ever gives up the ghost, I'll buy another one just like her, and if she outlives me I'll pass it down to my son who is almost the same exact age. Thanks MTD for years of hard work and producing tough, high quality machines (that are so thoughtful they shut off if you leave your seat).

Original review: May 11, 2019

I purchased an MTD lawn mower 7/30/2018 and used it 3 times before putting it up for the winter. It was stored under a protected carport. I used only gasoline that had been treated for ethanol. When I tried to start it in April 2019 it would not start. I took it to authorized service and paid $85 to have it diagnosed. Their evaluation was that it needed a new carburetor and that it was not covered by warranty. I called the MTD customer service and they said that "due to EPA requirements that the jets in the carburetor had been made smaller and that was probably the problem". They also said it was not covered by warranty. I've read many other reviews saying the same kind of thing. This company should not be allowed to sell a product that only lasts for 3 uses.

Original review: July 27, 2018

MTD is a good mower for it's age of (26) years. I can still get parts at local shops and online. Easy to work on not like a car can still find working support from MTD.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Bought mower (Troy Bilt Model# 13YX79KT011) 12/15. Steering went out the first summer I mowed. Two year warranty so local service center "fixed". Mowed so more. Steering went out. Service center "fixed". This went on 5 or 6 times over the two year warranty. Fast forward to this summer, 5/18, steering went out. Local service center picks up, replaces steering shaft, gear, and tightening screw. Mowed one time. Steering went out. Warranty is lapsed so that cost me $65. Call service center. They tell me they can't fix it and I should call Troy Bilt. I call Troy Bilt. Sat on phone menu hell for 30 minutes waiting for their one operator to pick up. Initiated chat while I waited. The chat customer service representative (Britny) told me to try a different Troy Bilt service center and the $65 I'm out is between me and the service center not Troy Bilt.

The telephone customer service rep (Stephanie) told me she couldn't find her technical supervisor but took my information and was going to call me back when she found her supervisor. That was yesterday. They still haven't called. So I have a 2.5 year old mower sitting under a shade tree while the grass grows. This is a two fold problem. The product is deficient and that is complicated by the ineptness of the local service center. I will never own another MTD product. Fool me once... I ordered a John Deere yesterday. We will see how that goes. And yes. I did call another Troy Bilt service center yesterday to see if they can fix the mower. They are charging me $46 just to come pick the mower up so the drain continues. The sad thing about this is when the Troy Bilt steers it has really nice cut but I can't afford to pay $65 every time I mow. Learn from my pain and frustration. Stay away from MTD products. They are cheap for a reason.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Troy-Bilt, MTD purchased approximately 7 to 10 products. Not once have I went through the warranty process, needless to say on a new lawnmower. Never used at all whatsoever purchased under 49 days. A loud clonking sound occurred. Having not once used, Troy-Bilt felt it's ethical that I send it to a dealer to repair, taking into consideration I would have purchased a used lawn-mower. Best aspect of all, they informed me to deal with Lowe's. How is a manufacturer unable to help a customer but yet anticipate a store to help. Worse customer service ever. Not a single email fromTroy-Bilt has anyone left the name of whom I am speaking with which shows that you are not dealing with a person, you're dealing with an order taker.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Yard Machine 21" 550E Series - I purchased my Yard Machine self propelled mower less than one year ago. It just stopped yesterday. I spent an entire morning trying to match the spark plug, and replaced the old one. Also replaced the air filter. Nothing. Mower was still dead. Then I get the number for the service warranty. I call, and get a message that says they are busy helping customers, don't leave a message because they don't check them. The mower is obviously not well made, and the service providers MTD contracts with are anything but customer friendly. I would never purchase one of their products again. The mower was purchased at Home Depot in Venice, FL.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Have had our MTD 18.5 HP Yard Machine for 33 years. Still running strong. Has dual deck. Use to cut five acres of rough pasture land with it. Put chains on the rear tires to give more traction when cutting on steep grades. Great machine.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I bought a Yard Machine 21' Self Propelled Mower about 2 months ago from Home Depot and I cut my grass once. The second time I started cutting my grass I was about half way and it stopped. I tried to restart it and it started 3 times and stopped 3 times then would not start again. I took it back and with a little moxy I got a new lawn mower still in the box but guess what. This so called brand new lawn mower with fresh gasoline and the oil that came in the box. This brand new one will not start at all so now I get to take this thing back also. PS: Did I mention brand new in the box and will not start?

Modern Tool and Die Company author review by ConsumerAffairs

MTD has an 80-year history with a headquarters in Valley City, Ohio. This riding mower manufacturer focuses on mid-range options for residential customers and commercial usage.

• 1.36-gallon fuel tank: This fuel tank holds enough gas to complete small yards.

• 20 HP: The mid-range engine provides enough power for the typical homeowner.

• Affordable: These affordable riding mowers provide a budget conscious option for homeowners.

• 2-year warranty: A limited warranty gives protection against problems soon after purchase.

• 42-inch deck: This cutting deck accommodates up to two-acre lawns without difficulties.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team