1.53/5

127 MTD Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 12, 2015

24" Snow blower with MTD Engine - Twice this winter this piece of junk snow blower failed to start when it was needed. Only one year old and useless. Carburetor on the MTD-made engine clogs if you sneeze. Now, I have to buy a REAL snow blower or pay someone to plow the driveway this winter. We had an old snow blower that started every winter for at least 10 years like clockwork, but this engine must have been designed by idiots! DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2014

I ordered snow thrower parts on Thanksgiving 11/27; really needed replacement belt and shear pins. MTD did not ship the parts until 12/6. Claimed that they were very busy with Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, but my order was placed before that. Now it's 12/11. I have 10" of snow on the ground with more coming today, and no drive belt or shear pins for the snow thrower. Not happy with MTD. If they'd shipped within a reasonable time I wouldn't be in this fix.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2014

Company claims I improperly installed the handlebars to my push behind lawnmower causing them to slide into the motor. Company also claims that if the pins and handlebars were properly installed then the failure would have never occurred. If what they say is true, the failure would have occurred the first time I turned on the lawnmower or shortly thereafter. Not 3 months down the road. Secondly, WHY would you even allow the ABILITY for the metal poles of the handlebar to slide ANYWHERE NEAR the lawnmower blade! They have been so far lucky, people haven't been seriously injured by this design flaw. Buyer beware! They will not stand behind their product and have flawed product designs!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2014

I bought a 27cc Gas Brushcutter Lawn Trimmer. It suppose to have 2 year limited warranty. I took it back to the store that I got it from. They in turn sent it out to be fixed under warranty but the service person said that we modify it. We didn't - the only thing was that my husband was using it and the bolt fell out in the grass and he couldn't find it so he put another bolt in to hold it. Then it wasn't running right and stop working so they said it was the clutch and it wasn't under warranty. It's been in the shop for 4 weeks now and they said that because my husband put a bolt in and in their warranty book says it not cover so they are not paying the $20.00 part and $100.00 labor to put it in. But in the book online that comes with this model, it doesn't say anything about it not being cover. I have been on the phone for over 2 weeks talking to a answering machine or other warranty people but because they said that it was in their supervisor hand they couldn't help and never getting to talk to the supervisor. I did get a call today telling me that it wasn't cover due to their manual saying it wasn't cover. So confuse and very upset with MTD. We will never buy anything from this company again. It's got 2 year warranty and they don't stand behind it.

Original review: July 25, 2014

I recently purchased a Yard Machine mower, and within a few weeks I called because I could not get it started. I was told to bring it in for service, along with the receipt, and it will be repaired. I did this, and all was fine. After a few weeks, the problem happened again, so I called their customer service. In all my years I have never encountered such an arrogant woman at the other end of the phone. She continually interrupted me, blamed me for not doing this or that, and said the engine was a Briggs and Stratton, so it wasn't their problem, call them, etc. When I said I was going to make a complaint, she said, "Go ahead. I've been here for 18 years, and you won't get anywhere with it. Just google MTD and see." Well I did, and apparently she is right. Unbelievably poor customer service. I would never ever buy anything from MTD again. Buyer beware!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Modern Tool and Die Company?

Original review: May 25, 2014

MTD mower is of very poor quality. Hard to start and keep running from day one, even for my 16-yr old grandson! I think I was 'robbed'. I bought this mower Menards in Tinley Park IL 2 yrs ago. I should have gotten a Honda or Toro but had a limited budget. As a senior I am stuck since I can NOT afford another mower. American Products used to be well made years ago. Now much of our products are junk - made to be 'thrown away' after a short time.

Original review: April 13, 2014

I am writing this because this mower treated me well. I bought this riding mower 15 years ago and I changed the oil twice. I replaced the battery once and never Seen the inside of my garage that means left it outside all winter and every winter. Only taken the battery out for winter months. Never sharpened the blade once. Mowed my two acre lawn and graded my driveway with a pic of chain link Fence by dragging it. I smashed into my stone wall last summer and wrecked and Hood and blew tire out and still mowed the lawn for rest of season on a flat. Now upgrading it to a John deer. Hope John deer treats me as well.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

Only good thing, it has Briggs Stratton engine, body work poorly made, cutter bearings waste of time. Had to fit own grease nipples. Belts cost fortune and can be easily destroyed by small twig. New batteries on these are allegedly substandard.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2013

I brought a new MTD ride on 38" cut, only 12 months ago. In that time, I have replaced 4 belts, one set of blades, one spring and now it needs a new battery. Not happy at all. I was told when I brought the mower that they were very good for the price, and it's included a 2-year warranty. This is why I brought a new one for $2,100 rather than a second hand one for $1,500. I have spoken to the dealer a few times and have not got much help at all. Every time I go there, I spend more money and don't get much assistance. So far, I would have spent $400 on parts and repairs and now up for a new battery as well. To be fair, I did hit a rock earlier on and this is probably the need for new blades but not for 4 belts, a spring and a battery.

Just 2 days ago, purchased my most recent belt and mentioned to the consultant at the Ballarat MTD again about not being happy, and did he think the mower is too underpowered for my needs. I mentioned I have an acre block and the grass had got quite long. Also did he think I should upgrade to a better model and how much would it be worth. He said they are pretty basic mower. Mind you, this was the same guy who I bought this off and that it would only be worth about $800 to them. I said, "Well, what about privately?" He said $1,100 and that they would sell it for $1,600. Now I'm in sales myself and a 100% make is a bit rich, and to offer me $800 for a mower I paid $2,100 for 12 months ago is a joke! He also mentioned to me when I bought it that in a couple of years if I wanted to trade up, it would be worth about $1,500.

Now as mentioned, I bought a new belt 2 days ago and mowed about a quarter of my block and the New belt slipped off. I fitted it exactly how I was told to from the dealer. He also told me to only do a halve cut and to not mow over the excess grass and this was too much work for the mower. Now I have nearly finished mower today, and also cut a high level to start with, and the belt is halve burnt through again. This means after using this only once and not actually finishing my lawn, and now I'm going to need a new $48 belt to finish my lawn. Would have nearly been cheaper to pay someone to do it. Not happy and not sure what to do now!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2013

The mower has been giving trouble since it was 2 months old. The 2-yr warranty was a scam. The worst riding mower ever! Do not buy!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2013

Over the years, I have owned many pieces of home maintenance power equipment, bought under several brand names. Everything worked well, performed as expected, and parts were readily available. Since the acquisition of these popular brand names to MTD, quality has fallen far below sub-par expectations, parts availability is near non-existent and customer support is a joke! If I can no longer purchase equipment that MTD does not have a portion of... I will sell my home, of many years, and live in a hut on the BEACH!!!!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2013

The usual, you spend hard-earned money on a lawnmower and it turns out to be a POS. Used about 3 times and will not start and stay running.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

MTD is a holding company for many brands. Among others is the Troy-Bilt brand of lawn mower. On 6-14-2009, I purchased a Troy-Bilt Mustang ZT-50. Within a year, the welds holding the deck to the lift rod assembly broke. This was covered under the warranty and I received what I would describe as excellent service from Rob - who was the MTD service manager for the Kentucky region. This was after an odyssey of trying to discuss the issue with several MTD customer representatives over the phone. (It took a call from the Lowe's Outdoor Equipment manager to get their attention.)

Flash forward to September of 2013. After careful inspection and maintenance of the equipment over the 4 years of ownership. The electric PTO switch quit working. It was while trying to troubleshoot this problem that I discovered that the main transmission belt was worn and in need of replacement. I immediately consulted my Troy-Bilt operator's manual for instructions and part numbers, traveled 30 miles round trip to obtain needed belts. When I got back, I followed the attached instructions only to discover a bracket welded in place - This bracket is in none of the documents or illustrations on the MTD website - which prevented me from following the MTD instruction manual.

I called the MTD hotline and got a rude brush off from two different operators. Both stated that since this problem was not illustrated in their manuals either I would have to call back and consult with the apparently better trained techs that work from Monday to Friday. Growing more frustrated, I decided to take a video of the situation with my trusty iPod which illustrated the problem and show it to the Lowe's store employees. After driving another 30 miles round trip, none of the employees stated that they had seen anything like that and since there were no floor models, we were basically out of luck. They did however promise to locate the MTD field rep for their area and get him in touch with me. This was on a Saturday.

Following up on the following Wednesday, I received the name and number of Ryan **, who the store clerk, Eddie **, assured me would be in touch to explain a method for resolving the problem. Today, Saturday, after not hearing back from anyone at MTD, I called the number and got Mr. Ryan **, who explained he was on a camping trip. I apologized for interrupting his camping trip. I then began explaining my problem which he recognized. He apologized for my problems and stated that the belt could be removed by taking out the central bolt which held the pulleys for both the transmission and deck drive pulleys to the drive shaft of the engine. I then stated that I had tried this but could not due to the ratchet turning the engine. He then replied that I would then need an impact wrench to remove the bolt.

I then explained that - in addition to spending 30 dollars for this same advice on Fixit.com - I could not understand why it was incumbent on the consumer to spend as much as 300 dollars for an impact wrench to rectify a problem which was not documented in any of the manuals published by MTD? Things naturally went downhill from there. He stated that neither John Deere or other manufacturers published this information either (REAL LAME ARGUMENT SINCE MTD WAS OBVIOUSLY THE OEM FOR THIS EQUIPMENT).

I then commented that this was illustrative of a company that was not interested in growing market share and would not be purchasing any more equipment made by MTD in my life time. Needless to say, I am not happy with MTD or any of its representatives and highly recommend anyone reading this to avoid the brand or any of its cleverly disguised sub-brands (Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, etc...) by anyone interested in yard equipment that they expect to last more than the limited warranty period of 2 years.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2013

I placed an internet order on a Sunday, assuming the order would be filled Monday. I called on Tuesday and was met by rudeness when the phone was answered, and I refused to spell my name just to make a simple inquiry. I was put on hold for about 5 minutes, then was rudely transferred, and was again on hold for almost 10 minutes. The gentleman was polite, but refused to help me, other than saying I could refuse shipment and they would credit my account some time in the future that he could not tell me. I just wanted to find out if my purchase had shipped, and because of the rudeness, I decided to cancel the order, which they will not let you do. I refuse to ever do business with the people at MTD. They are rude, condescending, and definitely not customer friendly.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2013

I bought an MTD Yard Machine 2 years ago, $1500. Had a two year warranty. After only 20 hours of use both sets of bearings in the two spindles holding the blades broke and the blades fell down from the housing. The warranty had expired two months ago. I sent a message to MTD 10 days ago. No response. Called them today and was told it was a wear item and they would not do anything. After only 20 hours of use! Maybe I got a lemon. Thought I would pass it on. Cost me $250.00 for repairs.

Original review: June 22, 2013

I am more than pleased with my Yard Machine 13bk608g062 purchased on 10/1/2001. I have used it to mow a 1 acre lot once a week for 12 years, and haul hundreds of loads over 150 lbs. I have hit large stones and jarred the deck many times. The mower has never failed to start and has performed excellently. I just bought my third battery in 12 years. I have only replaced the deck belt once in 10 years. I have replaced the spark plug only twice. The drive belts just went last week after 12 years of use. That is how I found my way to this page. I change the oil once a season and check it every time I use it. I also rinse it off after every use. I read my owner’s manual and followed it. I have to believe this is more than dumb luck. Here is a tip, heavy grass clippings and sticks can get caught between the bottom of the mower and the top of the deck damaging deck and drive belts. Check and clean this area frequently.

Original review: May 17, 2013

We have been using the above stated machine in our institute for last 6 months. The box joining the rear wheels that may be carrying the gear system is starting to make noise. I have not found any space for lubrication. Please advise me whether grease or CL oil is required to lubricate it or something else?

Original review: May 9, 2013

I bought a 1997 Model 13as699h062 tractor with a 46" mower deck and 18.5 twin Briggs and Stratton engine. It has been a nightmare. It started with the front wheels. The bushings were out. I had to make them out of hard PVC. The steering secondary gear hole was out of round so bad that I had to fill the hole with weld and drill a new hole, and the original bolt was so soft that it was almost cut in half. So I put a hardened tempered bolt in it. The armature magneto was out - no spark. That cost $55.00 and it went out after 45 minutes and I had to buy another one because all of these so-called mower, tractor and small engine repair shops have a no return policy unless you pay them $300.00 to do the repairs. What a bunch of ripoff artists.

The tires looked like new but none of them would hold air. That cost me $16.00 for 4 cans of fix "O" flat. Now they are perfect. The belts were worn so I replaced them. The dealer wanted $70.00 for the two belts and another $60.00 for blades and $50.00 for a battery and no one on this planet seems to know what makes the blades spin. When I contacted MTD, they could not tell me what makes the blades spin, and now I’m beginning to believe that the weight of the deck when it’s lowered puts pressure on the belt to spin the blades. The owner’s manual is a worthless piece of crap, and to top it all off, the starter started dragging and those idiots at Briggs and Stratton wanted me to pay $50.00 for a new nose cap for a $3.00 bushing that wore out. So I went to the auto parts store and found a bushing that was close enough and cut it down and made it work for 2.28 cents.

I want to tell you all something. If you buy a new or used lawn tractor and you have no mechanical ability, you’re insane. DO NOT BUY ANY MTD, CUB CADET, or CRAFTSMAN yard equipment. They are all junk made of the lowest standard of quality.

It would have cost me over a thousand dollars to have this great looking perfect running engine tractor fixed by a so-called repair shop, and because I'm very mechanical and thrifty, I found out how to get parts cheap. In Shelby, Ohio there is a place called Glens Surplus. They had all of the parts I needed. I got new belts, 3 blades, a brand new battery (375 cold cranking amps), a solenoid, all of the pins and washers, and excellent service, a brand new armature magneto, and everything else I needed, including steering parts; and I have exactly $134.00 in this mower and every part I bought was marked MADE IN USA, which was the whole reason I wrote this article. When I added up the parts alone, I would have spent $690.00 at either MTD or a reputable dealer, if there is such a thing. I hope this helps you in some way and I hope MTD, CRAFTSMAN and CUB CADET lose $10,000,000 in parts sales over the next year. I called all of them and told them that I was going to blow the whistle on them...

Original review: Nov. 7, 2012

Self-propelled mower has a defected transmission. It has been in the repair shop since May 22, 2012 to November 7, 2012. The transmission was replaced and would not propel. It's another defected transmission. I have called Lowe's warranty, also MTD's warranty people. I was told I needed to move on. Is this the way MTD and Lowe's do all their warranty to customers? Is the consumer protection agency even bothering to listen to consumer complaints nowadays? I was sent from a Lowe's person to an MTD person. None of these people are doing the job they are paid to do. Anyone who buys a Lowe's or MTD product is setting themselves up for a loss of money on the product and money spent on a warranty. I'm disgusted.

Original review: July 18, 2012

For those of you that have had issues with MTD products I do feel sorry for some of you but not all. Why? People on average purchase MTD because they are affordable! Right? And of course, in today's rip off nation we have to deal with lower quality products by nursing the living ** out of them. So, when people buy a low end product and think they can drive it like a tank and never maintain it, well ** is going to happen then! There are lemons but I fearlessly believe and know some pretty slow owners.

I have purchased 4 MTD products over the last 10 years and have been really pleased. The trimmer has worked well besides one head replacement over the last 6 years. I have purchased 2 pushers and they have been great! I mow cemeteries with them annually. And last but not least, by any means (okay, take a seat now), I bought a used (1993) MTD Yard Machine rider (42" cut, 14 horse, 6 speed) this year (summer of 2012) for $150.00. It runs and cuts great because the owner before me babied it all the time like responsible owners should. And I will do the same. I would put this rider up against any Deere, cub, ZTR, you name it.

I realize customer support issues with MTD have frustrated many of you but so do other companies. Companies like MTD operate business so that the "regular Joe" can provide care to their lawn and afford to eat too. For that, be respectful and stop demanding tank quality because it just isn't going to happen folks. Oh, I remember one of the posts here about a guy who kept on buying MTD products and every year became more and more disappointed. LOL, stop buying them then. That simple! Go buy a Deere or better yet a Craftsman. My work is done here.

Original review: July 3, 2012

I finally found a site where I can vent about MTD products. First of all, going through school, I worked on summers on a golf course and saw the machines they used and they lasted. So now I own a house and trusted those names. I never knew that MTD bought out the names of reputable companies and uses those trusted names to sell crap. My first MTD-made product was a log splitter. It lasted 2 years and then nothing. It was in the shop for so many times that I gave up on it. Then I bought a power washer, used it for one year then trouble. I found out that is a known problem. They sent me a part that would fix it, yeah right. Next purchase was a push mower for a small, hard to reach places that the tractor would not get to. I used it 6 times and had so much trouble that I put it in the garage. Because I did not buy the extended warranty, all repairs were on me. I have a new mower in my garage for 6 years now and it just sits there.

After all the trouble I had, I did not make the connection until I bought my big Troy-Bilt garden tractor. The first year, it worked okay although I had some trouble starting it. The second year was a nightmare. I did buy the 3-year extended warranty. Yeah, try and get service because repair shops take care of landscaping companies first, which is understandable. So in the first two years, the MTD built with Troy-Bilt name on it cost me $72.00 for two different batteries and me having to recharge it almost after every use even though the batteries were new. Finally, I got mad, kept calling and delivered it to the repair shop, which said they would do the warranty work and have it back in two weeks. This was in February. By April 30th, I called and asked. They said they were waiting on parts.

Two weeks later, I called for parts, not in. Two weeks later, I went up and my tractor was sitting outside uncovered exactly where it was dropped off at. I talked to the manager and was told they would get on it, it was a mix-up. Three weeks later, I received a call that it was ready. The problem with the battery was the alternator - it would shut off before the lawn was finished and I had to recharge the battery for 24 hours to finish the lawn. And it was burning up the batteries so $140.00, plus wasted buying batteries.

In the second year, I started having to replace the belts. They kept breaking. The first year, I bought the MTD-made Troy-Bilt tractor. It was August 28th, so I did not use it a whole season. The second year, with every month buying belts was getting me mad. Again, to the repair shop MTD forced me to use. The spring of the second year, once again, the tractor sat there this time for 10 weeks and me, the **, was going out and renting a push mower to cut my lawn at a cost of $30.00 a day. I also hired a landscaping company to cut my grass that my neighbor used. They charged me $80.00 and it did not include trimming. So the $30.00 a day was cheaper than paying someone to do it. So every 2 weeks, I was renting a mower and taking 3.5 to 4.0 hours to do the lawn because I was being told my tractor would be ready soon.

I finally got it back and again, the belts started breaking again. I ended up starting to buy extra belts so I would have them on hand instead of regularly driving to Lowe's for replacements. So, I limped with my tractor that second year, hating it all the while. Also, while having the deck off, I found the welds on the deck that were broken. It cost $95.00 for a welder to weld them back in place. The welder told me I was lucky because the welds on the deck were only tack welds and he was amazed I made as long as I did with the welds. Also, the deck wheels, the bolts kept breaking off so once again, I started buying extra bolts, washers and nuts to have them on hand.

Now the third year comes along. Spring, I took it out and the front wheel fell off. The metal broke. I ordered the axle parts to repair it and they are out of stock according to MTD. So three weeks later, I got the parts. A month later, the belt broke again, took off the deck and this time, it was the main pulley that sheered off. I called MTD and ordered the part once again. Not in stock and backordered. Three weeks later, I got the pulley and I cannot get the old stem of the pulley off. I tried huge wrenches and a six foot cheater bar and could not get it removed. All in all with the repairs and the rental mowers, and hiring the landscaping company to cut the grass, I spent over $1,200.00 to fix my MTD/Troy-Bilt tractor and now I am livid. I have a $2,800.00 tractor that in two years cost me $1,200.00 plus in repairs, parts and rentals as well as a company to cut the grass. So, my $2,800.00 tractor was now costing me $4,000.00.

I am stupid for putting up with this, but with MTD, you call them and if you complain (without cursing at them), they keep hanging up on me because I kept saying their products were crap and kept asking them if they knew people were having these problems, to which the answer was "No, we make great products." I did call the service rep a liar when he said that to me. I also informed him of the other MTD products that I had that were junk also. I wrote to Lowe's and MTD, telling them of the problem. MTD never answered, Lowe's called me and had me go to the store and offered me a new tractor (not MTD model) at a discounted price. So now I just spent another $3,000.00 on a new tractor to replace the one I had for less than 3 years. After all of this, because of MTD, it cost me over $7,000.00 for two tractors, repairs and lawn services as well as rentals.

What really bothers me is that MTD is selling these junk pieces of equipment, has horrible customer service and when I was at Lowe's, I was told the salesmen at Lowe's were telling people to stay away from anything made by MTD. MTD is using a reputable company's name that made good products. They buy that company's name and then build them at the MTD plant and not telling people that the machine they are buying is not the manufacturer that you think it is. They have a customer service number in the USA, but now from what I read are not even made in the USA. This is fraud, but not in their eyes.

And what is really bad - you may think you are buying some John Deere, Troy-Bilt, Bolen and craftsman models. All these models and others like Ryobi are being made by MTD, and the only way you can find out is in the owner's manual of some hidden place on the product. It is hidden for a reason so you won't find MTD on it until you call customer service or parts and they answer the phone saying MTD. This is hidden because they know they are hiding the fact that MTD is making crap machines. Why else would MTD's name be hidden or why are they not putting their name on machines they make? If you buy an MTD, you are going to get crap and ripped off even though you thought you were buying a machine with a reputable maker's name on it.

Be careful when you buy any yard equipment, check the owner's manual and with your cellphone, call from the dealers the service number on the owner's manual and the part number. If they say MTD when they answer, hang up and run or buy another machine that is truly not made by MTD. You will have nothing but trouble and spend your money on parts and repairs if you buy anything made by MTD. Oh yes, my new Troy-Bilt tractor of less than 3 years old, I put it in my front yard for sale for best offer. I sold a $2,800.00 tractor 2.5 years old, much of the time broken or in the shop, for $300.00. And yes, I did warn the guy who bought it from me that it was made by MTD and I had a lot of trouble with it. But at $300.00, he said he would take the chance.

Original review: June 27, 2012

I have a Husky mower 50 inch cut made by MTD. I went into Lowe’s to buy a new set of 3 blades. Lowe’s sells a set made by the Arnold Corp. which is a subdivision of MTD. The package describes the different mowers that the blades are supposed to fit and included Husky mowers with a 50 inch cut. No model numbers were listed for exceptions, it was totally generic. When I installed the blades and started the mower, the blades were overlapping about an eighth of an inch. The damage caused was a broken drive belt and damaged pulleys. When I talked to Brian, a supervisor in customer service at MTD, he said there was nothing they could do because the service wasn't done by a professional. Since when do we buy parts at Lowe’s and take them to a professional for installation? Lowe’s is meant for do-it-yourself work.

When I complained that their labeling was insufficient and misleading, all that Brian could say is it's not MTD's problem. I asked for his last name and employee number and he said they are not required to give that info out since they are a private company. I asked for his supervisor and the company's president name and it was the same answer. I will stay away from all MTD products in the future and I have asked the Lowe’s manager to remove this product from his shelves so no one else damages their mower.

Original review: May 17, 2012

I bought a lawn mover with a four-year warranty. The next year, it broke down and I took it to a servicing center of MTD called AC Jenkins as directed by Canadian Tire. I asked him whether I need to pay something to get this fixed and he mentioned absolutely nothing to get it fixed. The next week, I went back. He gave me a bill for 50 bucks. I asked him what got fixed. He told me blah blah blah and rolled his eyes and asked me to give him money! I called MTD the next day, talked to warranty servicing rep. The rep mentioned it is totally fine what he did and tried to blame me for nothing. These are very bad servicing agent guys and not-helping mentality MTD guys. So both suck! Please go and buy something better from professionals and not from people like this.

Original review: May 8, 2012

MTD Yardman - The seals on the rear axle/transaxle would let the grease leak out as the temperature came up in the summer. When it cooled off at night, the pressure inside the axle would drop. It would get air in and the next day when it got hot, it would dump more of its lubricant. There is no service on that part, and I didn’t want to pay for a new one. So I took it out, took it apart, drilled a hole and installed a vent, so it wouldn’t pressure up. I threaded in a grease gun hose so I can add grease if I need to. I still don’t have a brake, because the grease got on it and it still leaks a bit at that seal.

But I’ve run that thing through some really harsh stuff. Of course, I don’t take a full bite when I’m clearing with it. But I cleared an area close to 1/2 acre that I couldn’t walk through without a machete. It took about 3 years. It was very slow, working to cut just a bit at a time and to watch out not to run up on something and wreck the blades or bend a shaft. If I was going to complain about anything, it’s the way it kills batteries. I’ve got a 4 wheeler that sits and sits and sits, and the battery on it lasted 4 years and it was in it when we bought the thing. The lawnmower will ruin a battery a year. So, I got a float charger. Hassle, yes, but a battery is costly and sometimes when I hit the starter, it simply will not spin that motor over, even when the battery is fully charged. I hear that can be due to needing the valves adjusted, so I’ll be going in there soon.

Hint! If you hit the starter and it won’t spin the motor, let off the key quick. Then, raise the hood. Look at the top of the motor and hit the starter. As soon as it stops, let go of the key and watch it rotate backwards. When it gets turned backwards, hit the starter again and let off just before it stops, it will bounce off the compression and spin backwards further. Do that a couple of times and then it will spin on through compression. You’ve just got to give it a running start.

Original review: March 15, 2012

The steering mechanism is not catching on the gears so the steering wheel is not turning anything. We have had it for about 5 years and we want to fix it ourselves without a mechanic. Is there anything you know we could do to fix it?

Original review: March 4, 2012

I bought a Yardman riding mower around four years ago. From the first time I used it, I’ve had problems. Every time I tried to shift or engage the blades, I could smell something burning. I put up with this until last year, when it finally broke down. I accidentally hit a hidden tree stump, and when I tried to remove the blades to replace them, I couldn't get the bolts off. This wasn't what caused it to break down. I believe that happened when I got hold of watered down gas. Fed up, I disassembled the whole thing. This complaint is to warn people about this brand of mower.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2012

MTD is a piece of junk. My lawn mower broke within a year and they refused to fix it under warranty. It is a piece of ** they make. I bought it in Lowe's and their service is horrible. They treat customers like **. Beware of Lowe's and MTD who will go out of business, which is my wish. They are he stupidest people in the world. Again, please don't shop at Lowe's and and don't buy MTD or yard machines anywhere.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

The chipper ia about two years old and developed stress cracks in the cheap plastic hopper connector and threw hard debris against my leg requiring doctor's visit and stitches. I had to find old type model and had a welder retrofit a metal hopper onto the device because the plastic hopper is a serious safety issue in my opinion.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2011

I bought a MTD yard machine riding mower, in the summer of 2008. I used it 4 times and had to send it back to the shop to have the engine replaced on it (supposedly under warranty, but it still cost me $200 for shipping back and forth). Since then, it has been a piece of crap. It had 3 batteries, numerous belts (when you can locate them), deck bolts, untold how many of those, pulleys, blades and who can remember what else. It's been broken down over 6 weeks because we couldn't get the parts. I finally got it fixed today, and did an approximately a 50 foot strip of grass and the pulley to the transmission broke. This has been a lemon from the get go and I will be pursuing legal options on recouping my money, cost of parts, repairs and labor and my time I've had to be without a lawnmower, which caused my grass to get over grown, allowing for a snake problem, which killed my dog. This is all not to mention having to have my lawn cut by others and paying for that. What a disappointment from this company! Do not buy an MTD or yard machine!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2011

I have had the Yard Machine riding mower for a little over a year and I have gone through approximately 10 drive belts. They continuously break or get chewed up after three uses of the lawn mower. And now, I can't adjust the deck height without fear of the belt slipping and getting chewed. I went back to Home Depot where I purchased it and was told that customers complain about Yard Machines all the time--so why isn't something being done about it? Stop selling them! It's a Deere for me next time and nothing else.

MTD Company Information