4.1/5 (263 ratings)

About LGI Homes

LGI Homes is a new home builder that builds homes and communities in more than 20 states across the country. It purchases, plans and develops land for its new communities and puts streamlined practices into place to cut costs and speed up the homebuying and building processes.

Pros

• Hires expert builders
  • Uses high-quality materials
  • Dozens of homes and floor plans

Cons

• Limited upgrade options
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

LGI Homes is a leader in the home construction industry. It creates luxury homes in vibrant communities in states all across the U.S.

LGI Homes Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LGI Homes?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

I was pretty comfortable working with LGI Homes. It was a good experience. Chad, our rep, was very good. The quality of our new home is good. It's very basic. There are no frills. There are no upgrades. I did not like that they didn't allow you to change or upgrade one thing. But other than that, the process was good. They were very helpful. They took us on a step-by-step from the dirt to the full complete build. Every process was sent to us, which is good. We saw it online. We couldn't get out here. We were getting pictures every step of the way. I would talk to other people about LGI, especially first-time homebuyers.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the review, Shirley! We are happy that your experience was good and you like the quality of your home. While we do not offer customization or upgrades, we include several things in our homes that would be upgrades with other builders. This allows us to simplify the buying process and to take advantage of cost efficiencies that we can pass on to you! We're thrilled that your New Home Consultant stayed in consistent communication and sent you photos of the progress. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I liked the design of my home from LGI. I liked the look. I like the price and the floor plan. It was a good experience. I was comfortable with the process. It wasn't very difficult. The people at LGI were always helpful. They're with me from the day I went in. They kept in contact with me. They made everything work as smooth as possible. Even to this day, I can call them and they'll just talk to me and help me out.

LGI Homes response

Hi Adrian, thank you for taking the time to review us! We're glad you enjoyed your experience working with our team. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was very happy with the selling process. LGI Homes made the process very easy and seamless for a first-time homebuyer. I appreciated the fact that they covered closing cost, since I was viewing the property more as a short term living situation and investment. I was kept up to date with the whole construction process, and I am happy with the home, including the floor plan, the design and the space. Everything is built to spec, and the included furnishings were up to my liking.

I got some upgraded appliances because of what was available at the time, but I didn't ask for any upgrades. I was happy with what they were presenting. Crossing the finish line though, I was disappointed with the whole walkthrough, closing, and final product. The project was rushed and there were a lot of quality control issues with cosmetic things. However, I had an extensive meeting with Eric, one of the construction supervisors, this morning, and he seemed very receptive of my concerns.

LGI Homes response

Hi Claire, we appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you've already met with the construction team and are starting the process of getting those items resolved. Congratulations on your first home!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I talked to Parker over the phone and set up an appointment. My wife and I came to the appointment. He walked us through the whole buying process before anything happened. He was ready to answer questions. We did a quick credit check and then went and walked through the homes that were going to be most fitting for our family. LGI did a lot of cost savings on the build, and those were things that most people wanted to update or replace. One coat of cover paint is obviously an inexpensive option, but most people that come in and buy a home do repainting anyways. So far, I've met three of my neighbors, and I've joined the Facebook group, and they all seem to be really cool. Overall I love my home. I actually work from home so I have my own home office now. Why go into the office when I have a perfectly good one?

LGI Homes response

Hi Timothy, thank you for the review and congratulations on your new home! We love that you are enjoying your office space and the community.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

We have a few issues that need to be fixed and the overall expectation with LGI Homes was not as expected. The carpeting of the floor was of poor quality and it was not done properly. In the restroom, the corners do not stick together. The bricks outside the house are dirty. We looked at some other houses of the same brick and they do not have that. Our house has some cement outside and it looks messy. Also, our backyard is not leveled, which is a problem because we might have guests coming over and they have kids. So, it's not safe to walk over there.

In addition to that, the locks do not work properly. Another thing is, since we moved in, all the restrooms are blocked even though we do not use them. The water overflowed and it came all over the clothes in the master bedroom and it was all wet. It got into the closet and we had to change that. They took 15 days so there was no carpet in our closet for about 10 days. But our construction manager was nice enough to take care of the whole thing and he has promised to take care of the other things that still need to be fixed.

LGI Homes response

Hi Aayush, we are disappointed about the trouble you've had. This is not our typical experience, but we are glad that the Construction Manager has already been working with you on getting those items resolved.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

We bought a house as an investment property, and the process was easy. We don't live there, but we were told the people who do like it, which is good.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the review!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

We wanted to see some new builds and our Realtor brought us over to LGI. We liked the location in between Dallas and Fort Worth. LGI sat us down and gave us information about the community. We toured all the homes that were available. We walked through the prices and what each one would look like. It was a pretty good conversation. Our rep was very communicative. He messaged us when he said he was going to and if we had any questions or any updates, he would reply in good time. Any issues that we had, LGI took care of them or they set up to take care of them. We're still within the 14-day after-closing. I had some cabinet guys come in here earlier today and fix up some of the issues we had. I'm satisfied with their work. So far, so good and we have no major complaint.

LGI Homes response

Congratulations on your new home! We appreciate you choosing us and are glad you have enjoyed your experience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

The rep, Kim, let me know everything that was going to be in the amenities, and the community is great. However, one thing that surprised me that I did not have is a doorbell. LGI Homes doesn't do doorbells. There are no windows in the bathroom too, but it's just this area of Florida. A lot of the homes don't have windows in the bathroom, so mold definitely will happen. LGI Homes needs to start incorporating windows in bathrooms. That would be a fantastic idea.

LGI Homes response

Hi Tavia, thank you for the feedback! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the community.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

We called LGI Homes, set up an appointment with the house, put down earnest money and waited for our close date and financing. It took a month, which was quick, and the house is all right, but LGI Homes skimped out on a lot of things. I understand everything’s more expensive now, but there are a lot of things that I wish were better. The one thing that really upsets me is the fact we don't have a lawn yet, and it has been almost a month since we moved in. They said it would be in before we moved in, then "It'll be there in a week," and then they said, "It'll be two more weeks."

LGI Homes response

Hi Joann, we are proud to offer homes for quick move-in and are glad we were able to get you into a home in a month. We do apologize for the delay in the lawn and know our team will get that taken care of as quickly as we can.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Cut contract a month early, barely communicating, trying to upsell a house 39k above appraisals, several months of demanding more downpayment got to the point of 30% down, preferred lender is the worse. Do not and I repeat do not try the preferred lender. Good luck with everything but will never get into business with this company again. Please run while you can. Still waiting on our down payment. Horrible (period).

LGI Homes response

We are disappointed you did not enjoy your experience with our preferred lender and that you felt there was a lack of communication. This does not sound like the experience we typically provide.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

The rep was very good, informative, and prompt, and our interaction was a good experience. The process was straightforward. We got whatever was needed, and the people were helpful in answering our query. I'm satisfied, and we are enjoying the community. It was a rental property, so we visited the place, and it looked good. Very promising.

LGI Homes response

Thank you! We are glad you are enjoying the community.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

The rep was very enthusiastic. Very impressive. The only discomfort we had was we had to reschedule twice. Our delivery date was June, then it was delayed for once in July and finally, we were able to close in August. Other than that, everything was good. Whatever we heard about the park, that's good. There's a community.

LGI Homes response

We are happy to hear you enjoyed working with your New Home Consultant and appreciate your patience as we had to adjust the closing date.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

My consultant was easy, and he was able to address any questions that I had before I was even able to ask them. He gave me all the information. The process was simple, and the price is decent considering what everything is going for right now. I love the house, and I like the community. I wish we had a pool, though. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the amenities.

LGI Homes response

We are proud of our simplified buying process and our goal is to provide you with all the information you need upfront, so we are so glad that you enjoyed the experience. Congratulations on your new home!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

LGI's reps were solid, helpful, and quick to update. I had a good experience with them. We were able to move into a new house at a price we could afford. Also, the quality of the build is good. The only issue we're having now is the furnace isn't working and there seems to be weak airflow at the fan.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the feedback, Kyle! We are happy that you enjoyed your experience with us. Please be sure to submit a warranty claim through our online portal regarding your furnace and fan.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

We had been throwing bids at 30 other homes and the market was crazy so we ended up going with new construction. We went to LGI and picked the model that suited our needs. We just closed on the 17th and moved in on the 30th. There’s a couple of little things like some weather stripping that wasn't installed and a little bit of paint here, but nothing glaringly wrong. There's a warranty and everything will get taken care of. All the appliances are great. The materials used are outstanding. If you don’t want to bid on a home and don't want to go through the whole battle, just give LGI a shout and see what they got.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the review, Bradley! We are proud of our streamlined process and are happy that we could help you get into a home.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

Their products are cookie cutter homes but a good value. But the customer service is terrible. Not sure it's just the person I got, but it seemed like he was the customer. They built my house with no air vent in one room and when I opened claim, they never called me back until 4pm the next day and he got mad at me for saying that they dropped ball on it! I mean who considers building and delivering a house without no air vent in a bedroom and then can't admit that they made a mistake!

LGI Homes response

Hi Thomas, we take pride in the quality of the materials we use and are happy to hear that you appreciate the value of our homes! We apologize for the way our team member handled the situation but are glad that you are in contact with someone about the situation.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

LGI had homes that were going to close fairly quickly and they were beautiful. They offered granite countertops instead of the crappy Formica so it was a good bargain for the money. It was a nice home for the cost and we didn't have to wait for a year to get it built. The house looked very small from the outside but when we walked in the door, it took our breath away. It looked great. We’re retired and have no children but we got a five-bedroom house. It was amazing. I like the open floor plan and that is wonderful as well as the master bedroom suite. There are three bathrooms, so I can have guests and everybody can be comfortable. I like the neighborhood. We came from Miami with a busy street behind us. We also have a canal behind us here. Everybody tried to be very helpful to us. The closing was a little bit delayed, further than we had expected, but everybody did a good job and got it closed for as quickly as they could. So, I have no complaints.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

We had been to other places and we needed a new home to be built a little faster, and LGI provided that. Our consultant was Steven and we enjoyed it. He kept in contact with us every week and he tried his best to answer our questions and at least direct us towards people who could answer our questions. Our home's what we expected because we had done our homework on this before. We were looking for something a little smaller, simple, but still new. When we moved in, we said, "Well, that room could have been bigger, there could have been more room here," and this and that. But overall, my wife likes the final product.

The only negatives that we had were we found certain areas that in the cement in the building and other things that they did quickly and we thought it should have taken more time. The appliances took also time to get here. But, of course, part of the contract was the putting in of the appliances. Then when we had the walkthrough, it rained quite a bit and we were splashing around in the grass up to our ankles in water and trying to ask questions. That wasn't super pleasant. The gentleman was trying to go very quickly and explain all things and left a lot of questions unanswered. Then the people who put out the grass squares in the backyard and in the front didn't do an incredible job. We're still having problems cutting it. But we liked the walkthrough before moving in and getting the keys.

LGI Homes response

Hi Angel, we are happy that we were able to meet the timeline you were looking for and that you enjoyed working with your New Home Consultant. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review about your experience.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

We were referred to LGI Homes by my husband's co-worker. My husband fell in love with a particular floor model. We were in a crunch because we were in a high rent lease that was about to expire and we did not want go month to month. The home we chose would be completed 2 weeks before we would have to move out. It seemed like it was meant to be so we moved forward with no representation of our own. We used the sales person from LGI, she was very sales driven, not really very friendly either and lacked professionalism. She referred to the community as "the hood" which is not a good sales pitch at all!

Our in-laws gifted us some money when they learned we were in the process of purchasing the home. We came up with money of our own for the down payment, but we then decided to use what they gifted us to purchase points to lower our interest rate. We were told a signed gift letter from our in-laws would be sufficient for the underwriters, but they started to request months of banking info. from my in-laws and if we didn't provide it they threatened not to give us the loan. The mortgage officer was extremely rude to my father in-law. When I questioned the LGI salesperson and mortgage officer, the sales person was and told her that other people we know never had to provide that much info. for a gift. She was very rude to me and stated "well maybe they never needed help to purchase a home".

If we were not so far into the process I would have backed out! Their warranties are a joke! 6mos. post move in, the concrete in our driveway cracked. There was a transition strip that was never placed on our floor leading to one of the bathrooms. There are some gaps on the flooring in the our kitchen. The doors in some of the rooms never latched properly, we have had plumbing issues, one of our toilets had a leak and ruined the bathroom counter sink at the base. Some of the caulking on the bathroom sink was never placed. The window in our front bedroom has a crack in the frame. There is erosion in our backyard that is getting worse.

We figured these issues would be addressed and fixed by the builder. We understood that a representative of the builder was to come at the 11mos mark to walk through the home and fix any issues, but we then received an email stating the 1 yr inspections were postponed due to COVID. We are paying $500 a yr in HOA dues that is supposed to cover a kids' splash park in our community. It was supposed to be completed this summer and they have only built the bathroom and just buried some of the piping for the park. It does not look like it is being close to complete any time soon.

We paid $380 and hired an inspector and got a detailed report to submit on the builder's website as instructed. That submission goes to their "legal team" to review. It took close to 2 weeks to get a response. Finally we received an email from our community site's construction manager, only to be told that none of things in our claim are covered by the various warranties we signed.

Our floor plan is very nice and the the home is very nice for the price, but had I known we were being bamboozled I would not have purchased from this builder. They need to do better and stand by their work. Overall I am disappointed in their lack of communication, lack of professionalism, follow-thru and most of all the false expectations they portrayed. I should have gotten representation, I thought we didn't need it, since it was new home.

LGI Homes response

Hi Ivette, we take pride in our quality of work and each of our homes undergo several inspections throughout the construction process and are certified by third-party inspectors. While we did have to postpone warranty inspections for several months due to COVID-19, we honored any claims that were submitted during the warranty window. We understand the frustration of finding out some items are determined not to be covered by the warranty. While there have been delays in getting the amenity constructed, we are glad that you are able to see some progress happening and look forward to the day it is complete and available for the neighborhood to use!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

For the price, the home is pretty reasonable quality. The LGI lender is nice too.

Thank you, Carine!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

The people were nice and it was very easy to work with them. The home buying process was pretty straightforward and the quality of the building was good. So far, it's been a wonderful experience.

Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

We needed a house in a specific timeframe and with a specific budget and LGI was one of the only options. The process went quickly and we already knew what we wanted exactly. The person that we worked with explained everything that we were going through and was pretty straightforward. We're loving our home. I've been using the kitchen a lot because cooking is one of my hobbies and I've been really happy with all the kitchen appliances in particular. I have also been liking the tiled shower in the master bedroom suite. It's nice and easy to clean.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We are excited to hear that you are loving your home and your brand-new kitchen.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

There was more square footage per dollar in the build I chose compared to what was in the area. The purchase experience went pretty smoothly. Our representative kept us up to date week by week and that was really nice. There were issues with the house on the day that I purchased it. The walls were patched up improperly. They were not sanded down or painted properly. There was a dent in the fridge. There were some areas that weren't filled in so there were a few holes here and there. There were also some problems in the attic. The wood is not properly secured. We had an inspector come in before purchasing the home who pointed that out. These issues are minor things that should be dealt with, hopefully, within the next few weeks.

The independent inspector that we worked with made sure that he sent over that information shortly after we closed. I spoke to the contact person at LGI that we had been working with and he recommended that I place a work order in, which was what I did over a week ago. When considering an LGI purchase, ensure that the structure and the foundation are properly put together. Over time, there might be some issues that may arise. Look into what materials are being used and make sure that things are properly done.

LGI Homes response

Hi Shivani, we appreciate your feedback and advice. Our buyers are always welcome to bring in their own inspector and we also offer a 10-year structural warranty for additional peace of mind.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

We went and looked at a couple of already built homes and put in a bid on one of them. Then I got a call from my realtor saying that she had spoken with the gentleman at LGI, Greg, and that he had a home for us to come look at. We originally looked at the Bahia and ended up going with the Cocoa. However, we're not happy with LGI and the way things have gone. We did have to kind of rush into the house but we've been here almost a month and we're still waiting on things to get put in the house. This was before we even signed paperwork. This was while we were checking into the house. Up until they got the doors and the windows on, we could come in and view what was going on with the house. We came in and a week solid, there had been nothing done to the house. But all the houses around our house were being worked on.

We don't have a shower door on the master bathroom, which is just a shower. There's no bathtub. So, there's only a 3-inch lip on the bottom to keep the water in. Every time my husband or I take a shower, water is spraying out all over the floor. There's no mirror in the hallway bathroom for guests, and that was supposed to be added. There were supposed to be blinds in all the windows. We ended up having to buy the blinds because people could see right in our windows. I called Greg two weeks ago, left him a voicemail, sent him a text message, but I still haven't heard anything back from him. I finally got in touch with somebody yesterday that put a call into the maintenance manager and said to get stuff done. But we're not very happy with the service that we were provided by the two people with LGI that we dealt with - Jimmy, the maintenance manager, and Greg.

I'm still iffy about the quality as well. There are a lot of dings in the wall. There's paint missing. There are issues that have been sitting here for three weeks that when we did the walkthrough, Jimmy pointed out all the stuff he saw, I pointed out the stuff that I saw, but we're still waiting on it to get fixed. The lots in the community are also quite small. Your next-door neighbor is almost arm's length away. But it seems to be a pretty quiet community. It's really clean.

LGI Homes response

Hi Tianne, thank you for your feedback. We are surprised to hear about some of the items you mentioned, such as the missing mirror. We know that there have been product shortages on many things and our team will resolve it as soon as possible. For the most efficient resolution of your outstanding items, please be sure that you have submitted warranty claims through our online warranty portal.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

We went into the sales office and LGI Homes showed me the price sheet and the model that I would get. There were no choices. It was, "This is what you get for this price." There are no upgrades or changes so that seemed pretty straightforward and I went with it. It's cheaper than the rent I was paying in Raleigh. At first, the process was more salesy, and they want to woo you. But I purchased in February and didn't get to move in until July. Once every six weeks, I would get an update about the house. If I had questions, I reached out then within a day or two, the rep would respond. He seemed to have known the product, but when I had asked a couple of questions like, "Can I not have this pad board outside of the house? I want to get landscaping done, and I'll have to pay to remove it." He said yes, it won't be a problem but it turned out to be a problem.

So far, I'm pretty happy with the quality. I had a couple of things that had to be taken care of. A door guy's coming on Friday. There's a little bit of touch up paint but I've only been in there five weeks, so I haven't had any settling cracks yet. We have mailbox houses instead of having mailboxes at our house, which is a little odd. I had the drive to get my mail every day.

I don't have a great backyard. If it's raining, I can't go sit out back. I have to sit under my front covered porch and I hate sitting out front. I like to sit out in the back in peace and quiet. I really want to enjoy my backyard, but right now I can't 'cause they don't sod the backyard and it's not graded. They did a seed and a hay and if you look at it right now, it looks like all clay with little couple pieces of grass trying to pop up. But I can't even set a chair out there because as soon as you walk out, it starts to go down to where they have a dredge then it goes back up a berm. I can't even set a patio table out there. I have to build a deck, but the cost wood is super expensive right now.

LGI Homes response

Hi Amanda, thank you for the review and feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed our simplified buying process and the fact that all upgrades are included in our homes. We apologize for the miscommunication with your New Home Consultant and will use this experience for additional training. We are glad that your minor items are being resolved through our warranty. We look forward to you being able to make your yard exactly what you want it and we hope that you enjoy your home for many years to come!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I liked that LGI Homes offered the lagoon in the area but for the amount of money, I expected a little more quality of the home. Also, we bought a time home and we didn't have any preferences to appliances or anything in the house. So, I would have preferred to have had a choice of talking with a builder and telling them what we really would like. Other than that, the company itself was good to deal with and everything went smoothly.

LGI Homes response

Hi Carol, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad that everything went smoothly and we hope that you enjoy the community and home.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

LGI Homes went above and beyond. We love it. I only wish that the backyard was bigger. But it's a nice community.

LGI Homes response

We're so glad you are enjoying your home! Thank you for the review, Cecile.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

When I spoke to the rep, Maurel, he was really nice and welcoming. He and the loan officer, McKenzie, made me feel at home. They found me something that's in my price range and informed me of everything that was going to happen. Both of them went above and beyond.

LGI Homes response

Thank you for the review and congratulations on your new home!

Original review: July 31, 2021

The rep showed me the land and the model home, then I signed for it. The process was good and when I had concerns, they responded in a timely manner. LGI Homes has professional, fast builders, but there were some stuff that were not finished before the home inspection. The AC was not placed in, so they couldn't inspect the AC and I had to pay for a second inspection to be performed.

LGI Homes response

Hi Alex, we are glad that overall the process was smooth for you. We hope that you enjoying your new home.

Original review: July 30, 2021

LGI pushed us to close too soon, even though a lot of items were not complete by closing time. The refrigerator, paint, and garage openers were not there. There was a tree hanging over my home that was not taken care of. The front yard was filled with junk that was not clean. I had to take off from my work and personally go there. But then I was not getting responses. I had to talk to one of the construction managers and I had to do a lot of follow-ups to get things done. It would help if things get completed and then we push to close.

LGI Homes response

Hi Amit, thank you for the feedback. We are concerned about the state of your home at the time of your closing, as this is not the experience we expect to provide. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can review the situation.

LGI Homes Company Information