Is an appliance extended warranty worth it?
It can help pay for major repairs, but should you get one?
How much money did you drop on that fancy fridge? If you’re like many of us, you want to make sure you get your money’s worth on your home appliances — and you might not have the budget to pay for a big repair or replacement in the event something goes wrong.
Most new appliances come with a manufacturer’s warranty, but it’s possible you’ll want to extend the coverage to protect your purchase for longer. This is where an appliance extended warranty comes in handy.
How do extended warranties work for appliances?
An appliance extended warranty is a service agreement that provides coverage for repair and replacement of the individual appliances listed in your contract. You can get this type of warranty from the manufacturer or dealer of your major home appliances before your manufacturer’s warranty expires to make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
An appliance extended warranty is a service agreement providing coverage for repair and replacement of appliances listed in the contract.
Appliance extended warranty vs. home warranty
An appliance extended warranty is an alternative to paying for a home warranty plan that covers the appliances you’re concerned about. These extended warranties help pay for the repair and replacement of home appliances, including refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, washers and dryers. You can get this coverage from the original appliance manufacturer or vendor, or you can purchase it from a third party.
A home warranty provides bundled coverage for these home appliances as well as various home systems, depending on your plan. It pays for the cost of fixing or replacing a covered household item when it breaks down from wear and tear.
Extended warranty coverage for appliances
If you’ve bought an appliance at a brick-and-mortar store, you’ve probably been asked by a salesperson if you want to go ahead and extend your warranty at the time of purchase. Typical appliance extended warranties cover individual major home appliances like refrigerators, dishwashers, ovens, cooktops, clothes washers and dryers, and water heaters.
Appliance extended warranty coverage differs depending on the specific warranty plan; some coverage lasts a short period, while other plans last years, and particular parts coverage and conditions vary. These contracts are often similar to the original manufacturer’s warranty — they just extend the period of time you’re covered.
Pros and cons of extended warranties
Appliance extended warranties offer a number of benefits — for instance, they can be more affordable than a bundled home warranty plan — but they don’t make sense for everyone.
Appliance extended warranty pros
- A level of comfort: You have peace of mind knowing you won't have to break the bank to repair or replace an appliance that fails.
- Professional repair: Whether you’re new to the area and don’t know any local professionals or you’re just not as handy as you’d like to be, a warranty guarantees repairs done by a qualified technician.
- Convenience: Having a warranty helps to get an appliance fixed as soon as possible. It also spares you from having to find a technician yourself to do the repair.
- No hidden fees or charges: When you purchase a warranty, you know exactly what you’re paying, with no hidden fees or sneaky charges.
Appliance extended warranty cons
- Cost: The cost of the warranty isn’t cheap, though you may be able to spread it out over monthly payments.
- No coverage for home systems: If you’re looking to get coverage for home systems in addition to your appliances, an appliance extended warranty can’t help you — you'd have to get another warranty to cover home systems.
- May not be used: While it’s helpful knowing coverage is there if needed, some people never use a warranty, which can make it feel like a waste of money in the end.
- No accident coverage: Most appliance extended warranties cover breakdowns from routine use, not accidents that cause damage.
What is an extended warranty?
How much do extended warranties cost for appliances?
Are refrigerator extended warranties worth it?
Can I cancel my extended warranty?
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.