2. Moving
  3. Real Estate Websites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

Homes.com Reviews

Original review: June 23, 2020

Have experienced flat out fraud from Homes.com. I signed up for one of their lead services. After complaining that I hadn’t received any leads for three months I asked to cancel the service since I was out of my contract term. They said they would cancel but they continued to bill my credit card. Had to place a stop payment on my credit card with AMERICAN EXPRESS only to have homes.com then send me to “collections”. Total nightmare dealing with this company. To make things worse Homes.com was hiring third-party call companies to call me through their lead service and pretend to be buyers to fill their quota. We use Chime CRM and record all of our calls. I had to go back and listen to the call from my team member to even believe it. We are now contacting the California Attorney General to escalate things on our fraud case.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I am an active real estate agent and got talked into signing up for Homes.com's "Local Connect" services. I was bilked almost $900 over 3 months, for nothing. Don't waste your money here. And their "customer service" is a total joke. They do not return emails and you can't reach anyone by phone. How is that for "service"? Zero value for my $900. I am not afraid to spend money if it generates business. This was a complete waste.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your feedback, Steve. We're sorry to hear your frustrations, and would like to connect with you regarding your concerns. However, we can't seem to locate your specific account with the details provided. When it's convenient for you, would you mind sending a private message with your direct contact information so we can provide timely assistance?

Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I was told I was paying for Homes.com leads. I only received 2 leads from homes.com the other so called leads were people looking at homes not for homes. This is what it stated on the lead when received. (This consumer requested information from a real estate website, though not necessarily Homes.com. They are interested in the following property or area. Please contact the consumer for more information.) Majority of what I received came from other sites, and they were just looking. I signed a contract for homes.com leads.

I had a payment left to pay, but due to the COVID 19 and the state in a shutdown and not receiving any leads from homes.com that were worth anything. I told the the payment center I could not pay at this time and thought I was being put on hold. Instead, homes.com turned me into collections during this tragic time. Homes.com is more concerned about money than health and life and they a very deceiving with what you are paying for. You are paying for people looking at homes not for homes. When I signed a contract, I signed to purchase leads from homes.com, but that is not what I received. They will do whatever it takes to get their money, but they could care less if you make money.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your feedback, Lisa. I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't met expectations, and I understand your frustration. I spoke with our team today and it looks like they reached out to you not long ago regarding your concerns. I hope this was a fruitful conversation and that you feel taken care of. If that's not the case, or you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'm happy to help!

Original review: April 14, 2020

Very misleading. The leads are fake. I had a detailed conversation from a lead that was just texted to me. Her name is Kathryn P. The text message said "Great News! This consumer is requesting a real estate agent contact". I called her within 30 seconds of getting this lead. She was surprised I called because she never requested a "real estate contact".

I started probing into how I was able to get her contact information. She said she did a google search for "MLS". She went to a page that was not Homes.com and had to fill out her contact information to get access to search for properties. I was told by the Homes.com Sales rep that people searching on Homes.com would be reaching out to me to inquiry about a property, the same as it works with Zillow or Realtor.com. This was my 3rd lead in 3 weeks. The first lead hung up on my and the 2nd said he never requested any information. All 3 leads from Homes.com said " "Great News! This consumer is requesting a real estate agent contact". Completely false! All three were on a landing page and filled out their information to access that page, not to be contacted by a Realtor.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your feedback, William. We're sorry to hear you've experienced some difficulty. I see you were able to speak with an Account Manager yesterday; were all of your concerns addressed? If that is not the case, please reach out to our customer service department at Support@homes.com, or send us a reply for any additional concerns you'd like addressed.

Original review: April 14, 2020

I was contacted by a sales rep from Homes.com and we went over a zip code I have been farming for well over a year. She said that Homes.com had 458 leads that month in that zip & I thought why not for a trial period. I am in month 3 of my CONTRACT and to date they have supplied 2 prospects, one of which had no idea why I was calling and the other has yet to pick up the phone. Obviously leads are a number game but if I own all incoming leads in this zip for my "term" and you send me a demographic that shows 458 visitors to Homes.com in a month, I should see more than 2 crappy prospects. Just another lead generation company promising the world and not delivering. If they were a good company they would offer a refund because they said they will get the leads to me. Don't spend your time or money with HOMES.COM.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your review, Gary. We're so sorry to hear that it wasn't a fruitful experience for you. It looks like you've already spoken with our team member Rick, but if there's anything more we can do to address your concerns, please let us know.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Homes.com?

Original review: April 8, 2020

Please don't ever buy "leads" from these snakes. They only send you non working phone numbers or mobile home "leads" which the last time I checked is NOT real estate especially in California. And they have the audacity to charge $300 or more per month and make you sign a contract! What a joke and a SCAM! ** Homes.com!

Homes.com response

Michael, thank you for sending in your feedback. We're sorry to hear you haven't had a stellar experience with us, but we'd love the chance to make it right. However, we can't identify you with the information provided here. When it's convenient for you, would you mind sending us a private message with your contact details? Thank you!

Original review: April 2, 2020

AGENTS - DO NOT SPEND A DIME ON HOMES.COM. We are one of top producing teams in our market (100+ homes/yr) and typically do not spend on lead gen unless we know it's a good ROI for our business. However, Homes.com rep called and claimed that they revamped their lead gen systems and it's a totally different product now - IT'S THE WORST POSSIBLE LEAD GEN product out there. Craigslist is a better lead gen tool than this. Do yourself a favor - BUY A RADIO instead, it will do more good to you than Homes.com leads - I Guarantee it. DONT SPEND A DIME on this company. THEIR SALES AGENTS DO NOT DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU THEY WOULD DO AND ALL ARE BUNCH OF EMPTY PROMISES.

Homes.com response

Herman, thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that your time with us has not been the most fruitful. Upon reviewing your account, it does appear that you received qualified leads through our LeCo system, but we regret if this fell short of expectations. We have forwarded your feedback to our teams, and if there is anything more we can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: March 20, 2020

They advertise leads, but don't supply any that can be used. More interested in training material which I have no interest. Very expensive and tie you up into a 3 month account charging over 200.00 a month for nothing.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your review, Rose. We're sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't met the mark, but we would love to connect with you and address your concerns. A member of our team will reach out to you shortly to provide assistance, but if there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know!

Original review: March 13, 2020

Updated on 03/13/2020: This is in response to the response from Homes.com. They want me to respond in a private message. Folks, I made it very clear that I was not given the knowledge of the entire program I bought and that their staff did not know the product, therefore I wasted 5 months. They did not address that at all in their response of course. I was not expecting a ton of leads but was assured one or two. Of course, I got zero.

Perhaps if someone would have gone over the entire program and that the leads go to a dashboard which we could not find, or targeted a different audience with the ad that I was paying for which was never brought to my attention. Plain and simple, they will try to say whatever they want. I have had enough of that run around. Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to see all the emails between them and myself plus my office, I will be happy to share. This is a truly ugly company with no ethics and accountability. To homes.com...if you continue to respond with half truths to my reviews, I will continue to post.

Original review: RRUUUNNN. $400 X 5 MONTHS = ZERO LEADS. Just after I signed up my consultant was changed. I thought there was nothing more to the program than what she had already set up. I remember asking my new consultant a question that he did not know how to answer as he was new and not fully trained. I DIDN’T find out until four months later that there is a dashboard, DIDN’T know that your consultant is supposed to go over your account monthly to make adjustments and see which ads that I am paying for were working. I just sat and waited for the phone to ring. When I began to complain, they told me they were branding me by posting. I made perfectly clear at the start that is not what I was looking for.

We have people at our agency whose job is specifically to post. I came to know I was not explained the entire program about the ads, dashboard where they say my leads were going to. What dashboard?? Whose dashboard??? NOTHING there. I requested a refund. My rationale was if you order something and it comes in broken then you are entitled to a refund. If you buy software and it doesn’t work you get a refund. They refused. Their excuse is that they just recently implemented these agent programs. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR THEIR GROWING PAINS, or be assigned someone that is "new" and never went over the account with me.

This is not how you keep customers. I was able to have the regional counselor get a cancellation for me. They delayed that so they could have the retention department speak to me and meantime another $400 went through which they refused to return. The retention department lady who I spoke with is a master manipulator. Spoke in circles every day. Promised freebies. Only if I continued to pay. I couldn’t get my head wrapped around that. And after a few days of lengthy calls, I just hung up on her. My head was heavy and spinning. No joke. This is not how you keep customers. I wonder how many other guinea pigs are out there.

I am a seasoned agent with many recognitions. I have been around. You never want to sign up with a company that does not take responsibility. I'll tell you something that is more alarming to me. Knowing that they are wrong, talking in circles with me and offering “freebies”, denying any sort of refund, made me lose all trust in this company. I would not be at all surprised if they are double or triple selling their leads. How do you know that you have a certain percent of the territory? Maybe they are showing the same impressions to someone else. Furthermore, our company has about 1,500 agents. Our company has recently hosted Homes.com at our yearly convention.

Our company has had homes.com do some Con Ed hours. When I started to have problems, I called the owner of our company who called our marketing department to take of this....even with all her letters back and forth with homes.com, she was unable to get them to do anything for me. Imagine that. They couldn’t even show us appreciation or good faith even though they admit they were wrong. You know what they did do? They penalized their regional broker by dropping our office from his roster.

I have never written a review for anything. But this company is ugly in so many ways. I will continue to keep posting this review. I want to make sure that newcomers to this site will be able to see it too. Sorry for being so lengthy. I assure you, there was much more that I could write. Finally, for your peace of mind, sign up with a reputable company who is there for you.

Homes.com response

Thank you for your feedback, Marlene. Based on our records, the product you had was branding through social media channels, and not a product specific to lead generation. We are sorry to hear the results did not meet your expectations; however, we'd be happy to reach out to you regarding other solutions that might be more aligned with your needs. Let us know if that is the route you'd like to go.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I bought lead generation for 6 zip codes which, based on 1750 ad impressions for those zip codes should've should've generated approximately 17 leads per month. In 2 mos I rec'd 6 unworkable leads, TOTAL. According to records none were contacted by lead concierge to determine their interest level as was promised. Four never responded to my contact attempts and the two I was actually able to speak with told me they had no desire to buy or sell real estate and immediately hung up. When I decided to terminate my association, I sent an email notification which apparently generated an automatic reply with phone number to reach Client Success Team "directly". I called and was forced to leave a message and have not received a return phone call from anyone. I'm sorry I put my faith in this company and wasted my marketing dollars.

Homes.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Homes.com has a long history in real estate advertising. It originally existed as Homes & Land Magazine, which began publication in 1973. The magazine began publishing digitally in the 1990s and later became Homes.com. The site is now owned by Dominion Enterprises and headquartered in Norfolk, Va. The site lists properties that are for sale and rent.

• Local professionals: Homebuyers still looking for a real estate agent, mortgage banker, home inspector or other real-estate related professional can find listings on Homes.com.

• Blog: Homes.com has a blog with informative articles on buying a home, moving, building and remodeling a house and much more.

• Forums: Homebuyers, renters and homeowners can all post real estate questions on the forums on Homes.com’s website. Although anyone can answer other users’ questions, most questions are answered by real estate professionals.

• Search options: Site visitors can easily browse for a specific type of home or property, like a multi-family home or empty lot. Users can then narrow their search from there.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team