Protect What Matters Most

GE Service Contracts

GE Service Contracts
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.16/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

BOTTOM LINE

GE Service Contracts lets homeowners decide exactly where they need more coverage. Customer service and coverage can be confusing since a third party sells the warranties, but we like that coverage is widely available.

PROS

• Different contract lengths
    • Nationwide availability
    • Pick and choose coverage

CONS

• Third-party administration

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is a GE service contract?

Appliances from GE come with standard warranties that cover the product for a specified period. Once this coverage ends, customers have the option to purchase a GE service contract for continued coverage. GE’s partner, Assurant, administers these service contracts. You can file a claim, view plans and get help on Assurant’s website.

GE Service Contracts plans

GE extended service contracts work differently from traditional home warranties that cover a wide range of systems and appliances. Customers select the exact appliances they want to be covered through Assurant, GE’s partner. Each of these appliances’ extended service contracts has an annual cost and varies between two and five years in length. Sold appliances maintain their extended service contracts with their new owners.

GE Service Contracts coverage

The Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant covers GE appliances up to 15 years old. The following GE products have extended coverage options:

• Refrigerators

The Service Protection Advantage plan doesn’t cover:

• Damage from power surges
      • Cosmetic damage
      • Products for commercial use
      • Consumable items (e.g., lightbulbs, batteries)
      • Damage from acts of God
      • Consumer abuse

GE Service Contracts cost

GE extended service contracts typically cost between $53 and $76 a year. GE offers interest-free payment options on its service contracts, and customers can choose between paying for the extended service upfront or making several payments. The multipayment option lets customers avoid costly one-time expenses.

ApplianceAverage one-year cost
      Clothes dryer$53
      Dishwasher$58
      Cooktop$62
      Range$63
      Washing machine$75
      Refrigerator$76

GE Service Contracts FAQ

Can I cancel my service contract from GE?
      Consumers who purchase an extended service plan for their GE appliance can cancel at any time with no questions asked.
      How long is the waiting period for GE service contracts?
      If the original GE warranty is still in effect, there is no waiting period. If the original warranty has expired, a 30-day waiting period must pass before coverage begins.
      Do GE service contracts cover spoiled food?
      Yes. If a refrigerator failure leads to food spoilage, GE provides $100 for lost food.
      Who administers GE service contracts?
      Assurant administers GE service contracts.

Are GE service contracts worth it?

GE service contracts might be worth it for those looking to manage expenses and avoid paying for costly repairs. Like all extended warranties, it comes down to whether the consumer prefers to make low monthly payments to avoid the possibility of a large, one-time repair expense. Most GE extended warranties won’t break the bank, and we recommend them to people who can afford the premiums.

GE Service Contracts Reviews

Original review: March 19, 2020

I’ve been trying to get my brand new refrigerator fixed for the last 2 years. Hundreds of phone calls/emails, trouble shooting and replacing parts myself for hours, and 4 wasted days waiting for a technician who didn’t know how to fix it. I’ve called every number and emailed every email I can find and still can’t get a repair technician on the phone. I want them to look at the notes and tell me what they can try that hasn’t been done before instead of coming for a FIFTH time and wasting my time again and trying all the same things that don’t work. How can I get a hold of the corporate office?

Original review: March 3, 2020

Have replaced many fuses, added a Surge Protector & unit still fails and won't function at all. This has occurred at least 5 or 6 times since purchased @ Best Buy in Slidell La. Each time failure occurred a service man in a G.E. mobile Van/truck came to our home, was reasonably pleasant. This continues to happen just after the warranty, then extended after repairs. Took steps to prevent w/ use of Surge Protector. Unit Worked briefly, then shortly failed again!! It seems there is an 'Inherent Flaw' with our specific unit. Submitted by Tom & Cynthia **, Owners. I may be reached at my home/office @ **.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Our gas stove was purchased five years ago. Back in 2017 something broke on the right front burner causing gas to leak. We had a protection plan so they came out and fixed it at no charge but the technician mentioned that he had noticed a problem with this happening and to be aware. Well it happened again. Came home from being gone all day and my son said that he smelled gas and we realized it was coming from the same burner that it was before. I immediately shut the gas off to the stove. This should not be happening. Stoves should last a long time and certainly should not be leaking gas two time in less than three years. It is a safety concern at this point and I am absolutely unhappy with the lack of help and concern that I have received from customer service in rectify this issue.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I purchased a gas dryer 6 months ago and it stopped heating up. The technician ordered the correct part number but was sent the wrong part. When he called to try and get the correct part he was treated rudely and GE rep on the phone said he couldn't help with ordering the part. This has been going on a little over 2 weeks now. The technician is awesome and has gone above and beyond to solve this problem. I thought GE was a reputable company. I will not be making any purchases from this company again.

Cathy H.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Very disappointed in the GE washer and dryer I purchased in mid August. Everything was working fine but at about 6 weeks, the dryer started making a extremely loud noise. Closing the utility room door did not help. Service tech listened to my video and ordered a bearing kit. He came out and replaced it but it still was making the loud noise. Recorded it again and he came out and said the drum was bent probably by the installers. He also noticed the dryer door was bent in several places. (I commented on that when it was delivered but the installer said it was supposed to be that way.) He also said the rigid dryer duct was all messed up and cut too short so he adjusted that.

On the 3rd service call to replace the drum and door, he said all was well. I noticed water on the floor but thought it could have been due to an overflow of the washer. Now I've had the 4th service call as the dryer was again making the loud noise AND the dryer duct had come loose and now had a tear in it. When I got back there to put tape over the tear, I noticed dripping from the hose going into the washer. Verdict-the drum was not seated correctly and needed grease, the back was bent and the hoses on the washer were not installed hot to hot and cold to cold. He promised this would be my last call! NEVER had a service call on my 20 year old cheapest I could find washer and dryer which were another brand!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I purchased a New GE washer dryer set from Home Depot on Aug 25. Aug 29 it was delivered. The drum kinda sounded funny when it was turned on. But then a week later the entire machine stopped working. Ge repair came out following week. Wasn't fixed. Had to have local company come out several times. It was unrepairable due to damage of frame. Fast forward 2 1/2 months later. After ge being rude to service company, I finally received a new dryer. But this one doesn't work!!! Ge is giving me a hard time. I have to have repair company cone out again! It smells like it's burning plastic and making awful screech when turned on. I can't even use it!! I will never purchase another ge appliance. 3 months and still no working dryer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I purchased a GE dryer at Home Depot on Nov 14th 2019. They delivered it on Nov 22nd 2019. I hooked it up this morning on Nov 23rd and it doesn't get hot. They won't send a technician out until the 29th. It's less than 24 hours after delivery and that's the best they can do. I will never buy an appliance from Home Depot or GE Brand again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

Have a 5 month old refrigerator -still under warranty-- have contacted GE customer service numerous times, repair places in our area, and the place we purchased it. It quit on 10/6/19, still no-one has come to repair it. All we get in reply from customer service is that a certain service company will contact us, and set up a day, WHICH never happens.. It is going on to 3 weeks without a appliance! No repair place has contacted us. Trying many different routes to no avail. We are not happy campers. Not sure about purchasing any other GE appliances.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

My husband and I just bought a new house with GE washer and dryer included. However, when we move in we just found out that the dryer has some damage inside and won't operate. We called GE and they said they would repair it. We don't want just repair because it's a brand new house and we just moved in for like a week, then they asked for closing statement, which we included in our email and sent for three times to three different people. Then they asked us to prove we are the first owner of the house, which doesn't make any sense because it's a BRAND NEW HOUSE. After two months, we just gave up and asked to just repair the dryer, then after about a week, they just called say that they can't repair it today, because two people are needed to repair the dryer, and they just have one people today. I was furious because this makes no sense at all! I just have no idea when will this problem be solved. Maybe forever.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

If I could give this company zero stars I would. We bought a brand new GE dryer in April and it stopped working a week ago. We reached out to GE about it and at first were told because we did not have our original receipt, that they could not tell if it had been purchased within the past year and could not help us. Understandable, but I explained to them that this dryer was built this year in 2019 and it said so on the tag. The dryer was only about a month old when we bought it. They still said they could not help us even though they understood that. We then turned to Lowe's where we had purchased the dryer and thankfully they were able to go back on our account and print us a new receipt.

We then contacted GE again and they told us various things to try, none of which worked. She then said they would have to get a repairman scheduled to come out and work on it. This was on a Sunday and she said we were in a Customer Care Center and would have to call back during business hours Monday through Friday. My husband called the following morning and after being on hold for an hour to even speak to a human being had to hang up to continue at his job. I called around 1:30 that afternoon and was on hold for close to 30 minutes.

When I finally spoke with someone and explained our situation to her she told me that they did not have a service technician in our area. I explained to her that we were located very close to two major cities and did not understand how that could be possible. She then tried to tell me that if they could not find a technician that we would have to find our own. They said that they would send the parts needed for free and reimburse us up to $250 for the service call. I explained to them that a service call would cost us more than that having to call someone out twice to see what is wrong with it and then again to replace the parts. Our dryer is still under the one year warranty and is supposed to fixed or replaced at no charge to us.

Finally, that afternoon I received a text that A&E Services was coming to repair our dryer on Friday anywhere from 8-5. My husband made sure to be off as long as he could that day to be there and we had scheduled for a family member to be at our house until I could get home from work. My husband called on Friday morning to get a better time slot of when they would be there and he was told that they would be there between 3 and 5. Shortly after I received a call saying that our service would need to be rescheduled because our technician was no longer available. I explained to them that we were just told that they would be there between 3 and 5 and she said that the service tech was no longer available and the next available date was on Wednesday of the following week between 8 and 5.

So here we are a week into being without our dryer and GE seems to be avoiding us at all costs. If this dryer was not under warranty and the expenses to fix it were coming out of our pocket I am certain they would have been there right away with an available technician. I am pregnant and dealing with this company has caused much unneeded stress! Never again will GE get any of our business and I have been sure to tell everyone about how terrible GE Customer Service is and how they don't like to back up what they sell. I highly recommend purchasing any other brand but GE!!!

GE Service Contracts Company Information