2. Homeowners

GE Service Contracts

GE Service Contracts
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.22/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

BOTTOM LINE

GE Service Contracts lets homeowners decide exactly where they need more coverage. Customer service and coverage can be confusing since a third party sells the warranties, but we like that coverage is widely available.

PROS

• Different contract lengths
    • Nationwide availability
    • Pick and choose coverage

CONS

• Third-party administration

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is a GE service contract?

Appliances from GE come with standard warranties that cover the product for a specified period. Once this coverage ends, customers have the option to purchase a GE service contract for continued coverage. GE’s partner, Assurant, administers these service contracts. You can file a claim, view plans and get help on Assurant’s website.

GE Service Contracts plans

GE extended service contracts work differently from traditional home warranties that cover a wide range of systems and appliances. Customers select the exact appliances they want to be covered through Assurant, GE’s partner. Each of these appliances’ extended service contracts has an annual cost and varies between two and five years in length. Sold appliances maintain their extended service contracts with their new owners.

GE Service Contracts coverage

The Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant covers GE appliances up to 15 years old. The following GE products have extended coverage options:

• Refrigerators

The Service Protection Advantage plan doesn’t cover:

• Damage from power surges
      • Cosmetic damage
      • Products for commercial use
      • Consumable items (e.g., lightbulbs, batteries)
      • Damage from acts of God
      • Consumer abuse

GE Service Contracts cost

GE extended service contracts typically cost between $53 and $76 a year. GE offers interest-free payment options on its service contracts, and customers can choose between paying for the extended service upfront or making several payments. The multipayment option lets customers avoid costly one-time expenses.

ApplianceAverage one-year cost
      Clothes dryer$53
      Dishwasher$58
      Cooktop$62
      Range$63
      Washing machine$75
      Refrigerator$76

GE Service Contracts FAQ

Can I cancel my service contract from GE?
      Consumers who purchase an extended service plan for their GE appliance can cancel at any time with no questions asked.
      How long is the waiting period for GE service contracts?
      If the original GE warranty is still in effect, there is no waiting period. If the original warranty has expired, a 30-day waiting period must pass before coverage begins.
      Do GE service contracts cover spoiled food?
      Yes. If a refrigerator failure leads to food spoilage, GE provides $100 for lost food.
      Who administers GE service contracts?
      Assurant administers GE service contracts.

Are GE service contracts worth it?

GE service contracts might be worth it for those looking to manage expenses and avoid paying for costly repairs. Like all extended warranties, it comes down to whether the consumer prefers to make low monthly payments to avoid the possibility of a large, one-time repair expense. Most GE extended warranties won’t break the bank, and we recommend them to people who can afford the premiums.

GE Service Contracts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have a GE Dishwasher and an extended warranty from service protection advantage. My dishwasher is leaking and filed a claim on 23 rd Oct 2020 A technician from Eagle Service visited and told gasket needs to be replaced. Since then nothing happened I have been calling GE Assurant and spoke to supervisor and escalated to case manager. They have been telling Eagle Services will be contacting me soon. Nobody has contacted me so far. It has been more than 75 days. It is really frustrating me.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

We bought the dryer in July 2020 and just 10 weeks after we bought the unit it stopped heating. After waiting on hold for over 2 hours to report and arrange repair I was told the service center would contact me. After I had not been contacted for a week to get an appointment to schedule an appointment, I called the repair center. They said they knew nothing about this. I scheduled with them and they came. Very aggravating. Turns out the wire harness melted and wires were exposed from burning. With my wife being a nurse and it being imperative her-uniforms be kept clean during the pandemic, it took 3 total visits from a technician and 2 different part replacements to get it right.

After roughly 6 weeks of not having a dryer and my wife and myself pleading with GE and hours upon hours spent waiting on hold. They would not replace the unit despite us telling them we smelled burning electrical wires while the unit is working. Just 8 weeks after this happened to us the Dryer started smelling like burning electrical wires again, and stopped heating. Today I waited the total of 3 hours on hold to get a representative to speak with. With my wife explaining the situation in full it was more of the same. We cannot replace the item and will not until the dryer has been framed not fixable. Again despite the burning electrical wires and safety issue GE seems to put our safety last. I will probably end up eating the 900.00 and never ever in my life buy another GE product again. I sincerely hope they change the way they treat their customers that spend a lot of money and rely on their products.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I purchased a laundry center 8 months back. The dryer stopped working. So I called GE warranty service, 3 times to set up a repair, each time they tell a repair service will call me in 24 hours. Has not happened yet. So I call the repairman, says he is too busy, call back GE and tell them to get someone else. They say "No that's the guy you have to use". Call repairman back. Says, "Find somebody else." Bought it at Home Depot. Called them. Told them, "I want to return it. It's broke." They say, "No, call GE." I've already spent hours on the phone with GE. Jose was good. The guy from India told me I had no warranty. What a joke. 1400.00 for that piece of junk!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

Bought a GE Dishwasher which did not work upon delivery. Scheduled a service appointment online which was a local service company which was a no-show. Scheduled another service window online and got a call that said the repair shop was too busy and they hung up on us. My wife and I spent a couple of days trying to speak with a GE Rep to schedule another appointment and were unable to speak to someone to help us schedule an appointment. They told us to schedule online, which each time we tried, it just chose the same local company who was the no-show and too busy anyway.

We called Home Depot for help, which they are going above and beyond to help us get a replacement. But even HD said they were having trouble contacting GE and getting clearance for a replacement or service. Two and a half weeks after installation, we are still trying to find someone to service or replace the faulty dishwasher. I don't know what to do next except buy a new dishwasher or pay out of pocket for repair by the repair company I usually deal with and take GE to small claims or something to reimburse us for the faulty dishwasher or out of pocket repair fees. I can't believe how unacceptable GE is. Would never recommend another GE or subsidiary product ever.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2020

Long story short. Two years ago I had an issue with my very expensive dishwasher. After it leaked and ruined my wood floor and I had to have insurance claim and they gave me a new dishwasher with a 2 year service contract. At the time they were very helpful. Boy have things changed. Their service is disgraceful. You call and get the run around. They have many phone numbers that go to the same place. Then you are on hold forever.

I recently had another experience. Dishwasher said leak detected. Called service. Had to wait over a week. Technician said I needed a plumber to install a “loop” which had to do with the line under the sink. They said they don’t pay for plumbers. I said that they installed the new dishwasher and have been fighting for reimbursement since then because it was installed by their people! Then the dishwasher gave me the same message and I had to have service again! He came and fixed the problem which had to do with a loose water connection. So. Did I really need that plumber? Been calling, writing to their top execs and have not heard back. Never ever buy anything from GE again! Btw, their Monogram dishwashers costs like $2000! You would think they would be well built. Unreal.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I purchased a warranty for my washing machine. On 9/26, I called to report a problem. On 10/7, a repairman came out and changed out the motherboard. On 10/8 I realized the washing machine still was not working correctly. I called to let them know and was given a number to reference and told I would be called back in the next 24-48 hours. That call never came. On 10/12, I called again and was told they did not have any information about my account. I was also given the wrong number to check the account. I finally got a different phone number and contacted GE directly. I am now scheduled to have a technician arrive on 10/19. Bad service!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I was sold a lemon/paperweight GE dishwasher. It was delivered in April 2020. The company we purchased it from, Home Depot, could care less. I have spent more time on the phone trying to get the dishwasher first fixed and then when it became apparent that it would not be able to be fixed, replaced. After six separate instances of repair people coming out and it still breaking within days/weeks I was told I would receive a replacement. It's been six months of dealing with this. Now that I was told I am supposedly going to get a replacement its crickets from GE. I have been refused information, I am not given the courtesy of a return phone call.

Today after spending three and a half hours on HOLD both customer "service" agent Jamie and her Manager Evan refused to give me the phone number for corporate. Like you work for the company and you don't have a phone number? OMG how freaking stupid do you think the consumers are? Some people may be ok with being jerked around for their hard earned money but I am not. I am looking into attorneys and hope to either file or find a class action law suit. I see this is common for the company to treat customers in this manner.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

They won't come out to fix my dishwasher which is under warranty. They keep canceling the appointment on me with no notification, or explanation of why. I've waited at a vacant home for hours, TWICE now. When I try to re-book, there are no appointments available for a long time. And now when I try to re-book, they are trying to charge me a trip fee when it's under warranty. There was not a trip fee for all the previous bookings, which they didn't show up to. Customer service reps on the phone are rude and not helpful. The info given on the phone is never consistent with what's on the website, so what's the point of the website at all? HORRIBLE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We bought a brand new washer and dryer from GE appliances. The dryer stopped working two weeks after we bought it. It took them a week to send a technician out, then the wrong part was ordered, then the part was on backorder. We have been out of a dryer for over month (that we just purchased). Wait times to call customer relations are three hours, each time our appointments get moved out weeks, taking time off work each time for appointments that just get automatically moved due to issues with parts. I still haven't had this issue resolved and was just told it would be at least another week to see if a replacement is even in stock. Not to even add the additional wait time if it is not, and time to ship. At this point, I wish I could return both the washer and dryer, and never ever do business with this company again.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Poor service service repair on Thursday due to problems with food freezing ice cubes stuck together warning regarding filter. The request was make a week prior. On Friday AM the frig was not not as cold as the day before, Ice cubes stuck together, ice cream melted. Called Appliance store and they advised me someone would be out on Friday or Saturday the AM. No one showed. I called GE service, held on 1 hour, advised service due 6/18/2020. We are old have expensive medications that have to be kept cold over $600.00 worth. I called the store where I bought the fridge from and he sent out his repairman and was here within 3 hours and fixed the problem and ordered a new part. I want a refund for my three year policy. This refridge, stove and micro were bought 2/12/2020. I will not go through this again. The place I do business with for 40 years. If this is not solved I report it to someone who will handle this for me.

GE Service Contracts Company Information