2. Homeowners

GE Service Contracts

GE Service Contracts
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.24/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

BOTTOM LINE

GE Service Contracts lets homeowners decide exactly where they need more coverage. Customer service and coverage can be confusing since a third party sells the warranties, but we like that coverage is widely available.

PROS

• Different contract lengths
    • Nationwide availability
    • Pick and choose coverage

CONS

• Third-party administration

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is a GE service contract?

Appliances from GE come with standard warranties that cover the product for a specified period. Once this coverage ends, customers have the option to purchase a GE service contract for continued coverage. GE’s partner, Assurant, administers these service contracts. You can file a claim, view plans and get help on Assurant’s website.

GE Service Contracts plans

GE extended service contracts work differently from traditional home warranties that cover a wide range of systems and appliances. Customers select the exact appliances they want to be covered through Assurant, GE’s partner. Each of these appliances’ extended service contracts has an annual cost and varies between two and five years in length. Sold appliances maintain their extended service contracts with their new owners.

GE Service Contracts coverage

The Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant covers GE appliances up to 15 years old. The following GE products have extended coverage options:

• Refrigerators

The Service Protection Advantage plan doesn’t cover:

• Damage from power surges
      • Cosmetic damage
      • Products for commercial use
      • Consumable items (e.g., lightbulbs, batteries)
      • Damage from acts of God
      • Consumer abuse

GE Service Contracts cost

GE extended service contracts typically cost between $53 and $76 a year. GE offers interest-free payment options on its service contracts, and customers can choose between paying for the extended service upfront or making several payments. The multipayment option lets customers avoid costly one-time expenses.

ApplianceAverage one-year cost
      Clothes dryer$53
      Dishwasher$58
      Cooktop$62
      Range$63
      Washing machine$75
      Refrigerator$76

GE Service Contracts FAQ

Can I cancel my service contract from GE?
      Consumers who purchase an extended service plan for their GE appliance can cancel at any time with no questions asked.
      How long is the waiting period for GE service contracts?
      If the original GE warranty is still in effect, there is no waiting period. If the original warranty has expired, a 30-day waiting period must pass before coverage begins.
      Do GE service contracts cover spoiled food?
      Yes. If a refrigerator failure leads to food spoilage, GE provides $100 for lost food.
      Who administers GE service contracts?
      Assurant administers GE service contracts.

Are GE service contracts worth it?

GE service contracts might be worth it for those looking to manage expenses and avoid paying for costly repairs. Like all extended warranties, it comes down to whether the consumer prefers to make low monthly payments to avoid the possibility of a large, one-time repair expense. Most GE extended warranties won’t break the bank, and we recommend them to people who can afford the premiums.

GE Service Contracts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I purchased a warranty for my washing machine. On 9/26, I called to report a problem. On 10/7, a repairman came out and changed out the motherboard. On 10/8 I realized the washing machine still was not working correctly. I called to let them know and was given a number to reference and told I would be called back in the next 24-48 hours. That call never came. On 10/12, I called again and was told they did not have any information about my account. I was also given the wrong number to check the account. I finally got a different phone number and contacted GE directly. I am now scheduled to have a technician arrive on 10/19. Bad service!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I was sold a lemon/paperweight GE dishwasher. It was delivered in April 2020. The company we purchased it from, Home Depot, could care less. I have spent more time on the phone trying to get the dishwasher first fixed and then when it became apparent that it would not be able to be fixed, replaced. After six separate instances of repair people coming out and it still breaking within days/weeks I was told I would receive a replacement. It's been six months of dealing with this. Now that I was told I am supposedly going to get a replacement its crickets from GE. I have been refused information, I am not given the courtesy of a return phone call.

Today after spending three and a half hours on HOLD both customer "service" agent Jamie and her Manager Evan refused to give me the phone number for corporate. Like you work for the company and you don't have a phone number? OMG how freaking stupid do you think the consumers are? Some people may be ok with being jerked around for their hard earned money but I am not. I am looking into attorneys and hope to either file or find a class action law suit. I see this is common for the company to treat customers in this manner.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

They won't come out to fix my dishwasher which is under warranty. They keep canceling the appointment on me with no notification, or explanation of why. I've waited at a vacant home for hours, TWICE now. When I try to re-book, there are no appointments available for a long time. And now when I try to re-book, they are trying to charge me a trip fee when it's under warranty. There was not a trip fee for all the previous bookings, which they didn't show up to. Customer service reps on the phone are rude and not helpful. The info given on the phone is never consistent with what's on the website, so what's the point of the website at all? HORRIBLE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

We bought a brand new washer and dryer from GE appliances. The dryer stopped working two weeks after we bought it. It took them a week to send a technician out, then the wrong part was ordered, then the part was on backorder. We have been out of a dryer for over month (that we just purchased). Wait times to call customer relations are three hours, each time our appointments get moved out weeks, taking time off work each time for appointments that just get automatically moved due to issues with parts. I still haven't had this issue resolved and was just told it would be at least another week to see if a replacement is even in stock. Not to even add the additional wait time if it is not, and time to ship. At this point, I wish I could return both the washer and dryer, and never ever do business with this company again.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Poor service service repair on Thursday due to problems with food freezing ice cubes stuck together warning regarding filter. The request was make a week prior. On Friday AM the frig was not not as cold as the day before, Ice cubes stuck together, ice cream melted. Called Appliance store and they advised me someone would be out on Friday or Saturday the AM. No one showed. I called GE service, held on 1 hour, advised service due 6/18/2020. We are old have expensive medications that have to be kept cold over $600.00 worth. I called the store where I bought the fridge from and he sent out his repairman and was here within 3 hours and fixed the problem and ordered a new part. I want a refund for my three year policy. This refridge, stove and micro were bought 2/12/2020. I will not go through this again. The place I do business with for 40 years. If this is not solved I report it to someone who will handle this for me.

Original review: May 7, 2020

First dishwasher broke after 3 days. They replaced it but it was a complete hassle. Second dishwasher broke after 2 weeks. And now they won't help.. basically they stole my 600 and I'm washing dishes..

Original review: March 19, 2020

I’ve been trying to get my brand new refrigerator fixed for the last 2 years. Hundreds of phone calls/emails, trouble shooting and replacing parts myself for hours, and 4 wasted days waiting for a technician who didn’t know how to fix it. I’ve called every number and emailed every email I can find and still can’t get a repair technician on the phone. I want them to look at the notes and tell me what they can try that hasn’t been done before instead of coming for a FIFTH time and wasting my time again and trying all the same things that don’t work. How can I get a hold of the corporate office?

Original review: March 3, 2020

Have replaced many fuses, added a Surge Protector & unit still fails and won't function at all. This has occurred at least 5 or 6 times since purchased @ Best Buy in Slidell La. Each time failure occurred a service man in a G.E. mobile Van/truck came to our home, was reasonably pleasant. This continues to happen just after the warranty, then extended after repairs. Took steps to prevent w/ use of Surge Protector. Unit Worked briefly, then shortly failed again!! It seems there is an 'Inherent Flaw' with our specific unit. Submitted by Tom & Cynthia **, Owners. I may be reached at my home/office @ **.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Our gas stove was purchased five years ago. Back in 2017 something broke on the right front burner causing gas to leak. We had a protection plan so they came out and fixed it at no charge but the technician mentioned that he had noticed a problem with this happening and to be aware. Well it happened again. Came home from being gone all day and my son said that he smelled gas and we realized it was coming from the same burner that it was before. I immediately shut the gas off to the stove. This should not be happening. Stoves should last a long time and certainly should not be leaking gas two time in less than three years. It is a safety concern at this point and I am absolutely unhappy with the lack of help and concern that I have received from customer service in rectify this issue.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I purchased a gas dryer 6 months ago and it stopped heating up. The technician ordered the correct part number but was sent the wrong part. When he called to try and get the correct part he was treated rudely and GE rep on the phone said he couldn't help with ordering the part. This has been going on a little over 2 weeks now. The technician is awesome and has gone above and beyond to solve this problem. I thought GE was a reputable company. I will not be making any purchases from this company again.

Cathy H.