Find a Home Warranties partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About GE Service Contracts

GE appliances come with a traditional warranty, but the company also offers extended coverage with a Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant, GE’s authorized provider of extended warranties. The plan covers parts and labor for appliance repairs for an extended period. Customers pick and choose which appliances or systems need to be covered.

Find Home Warranties, Service Plans partners near you

Pros

• Different contract lengths
    • Nationwide availability
    • Pick and choose coverage

Cons

• Third-party administration

Bottom Line

GE Service Contracts lets homeowners decide exactly where they need more coverage. Customer service and coverage can be confusing since a third party sells the warranties, but we like that coverage is widely available.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

What is a GE service contract?

Appliances from GE come with standard warranties that cover the product for a specified period. Once this coverage ends, customers have the option to purchase a GE service contract for continued coverage. GE’s partner, Assurant, administers these service contracts. You can file a claim, view plans and get help on Assurant’s website.

GE Service Contracts plans

GE extended service contracts work differently from traditional home warranties that cover a wide range of systems and appliances. Customers select the exact appliances they want to be covered through Assurant, GE’s partner. Each of these appliances’ extended service contracts has an annual cost and varies between two and five years in length. Sold appliances maintain their extended service contracts with their new owners.

GE Service Contracts coverage

The Service Protection Advantage plan from Assurant covers GE appliances up to 15 years old. The following GE products have extended coverage options:

• Refrigerators

The Service Protection Advantage plan doesn’t cover:

• Damage from power surges
    • Cosmetic damage
    • Products for commercial use
    • Consumable items (e.g., lightbulbs, batteries)
    • Damage from acts of God
    • Consumer abuse

GE Service Contracts cost

GE extended service contracts typically cost between $53 and $76 a year. GE offers interest-free payment options on its service contracts, and customers can choose between paying for the extended service upfront or making several payments. The multipayment option lets customers avoid costly one-time expenses.

ApplianceAverage one-year cost
    Clothes dryer$53
    Dishwasher$58
    Cooktop$62
    Range$63
    Washing machine$75
    Refrigerator$76

GE Service Contracts FAQ

Can I cancel my service contract from GE?
    Consumers who purchase an extended service plan for their GE appliance can cancel at any time with no questions asked.
    How long is the waiting period for GE service contracts?
    If the original GE warranty is still in effect, there is no waiting period. If the original warranty has expired, a 30-day waiting period must pass before coverage begins.
    Do GE service contracts cover spoiled food?
    Yes. If a refrigerator failure leads to food spoilage, GE provides $100 for lost food.
    Who administers GE service contracts?
    Assurant administers GE service contracts.

Are GE service contracts worth it?

GE service contracts might be worth it for those looking to manage expenses and avoid paying for costly repairs. Like all extended warranties, it comes down to whether the consumer prefers to make low monthly payments to avoid the possibility of a large, one-time repair expense. Most GE extended warranties won’t break the bank, and we recommend them to people who can afford the premiums.

GE Service Contracts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Service Contracts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GE Washing Machines?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Way too much to detail. Every aspect from customer service to repair was the worst experience we have ever had! Terrible communication. Wrong parts. Many rescheduled appointments. No responses. Only finally got a response when we filed a complaint with BBB. And still never solved the problem!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

When we purchased the house in 1999 there was a GE Monogram refrigerator in it from when it was built in 1996. The sellers purchased an extended warranty to go with it and we've renewed faithfully since with GE service when they came out. GE has been out and kept it running for 25.5 years now under the plan most recently in January 2021. When we scheduled another call for August 2021, they sent a different company out who said, "oh, the model and serial number don't match our records so we can't service it." This even though they'd serviced it for 22 years and they'd been the one to pull it out, read and enter the numbers.

Given we never provided either to them and only GE's factory service had ever renewed it and entered the numbers, their inability to accurately record and track the original serial numbers is awful. How they stay in business like is one question. We've ordered a new refrigerator, but we're hoping the Assurant would honor the warranty we'd paid for to keep it cooling until the new one arrived. No such luck.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Oct. 11, 2021

Was able to get the ongoing problem repaired. Had to use my 35 years of customer service experience and knowledge to sort out the initial contacts.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Have been a good GE customer, four homes and two remodels using GE products. Now we have a GE washer that has had an ongoing problem that GE service cannot solve. We scheduled another appointment that GE could not make and GE had to reschedule. The rescheduled time would be a week away. I do not understand that by no fault of ours we are pushed to the end of the line for service. Plus the rude customer service representative was of no help, since she continued talked over me when I tried to explain my issue...then hung up on me. Great customer no service. One STAR rating was way too high, but no STAR might get ignored. Last GE product in my lifetime and anyone else I can bring along.

Original review: April 8, 2021

We purchased new construction in August 2020 along with a 1-year home warranty. We have a top-of-the-line GE washer and dryer. As we adjusted to the new appliances, I realized that the washer didn't sound as it should. Lots of banging and shaking. I recorded a couple short videos to document which cycle it was occuring. I contacted our builder who registered a claim with GE Warranty Services in December, 2020. Here we are in April, 2021 and they still have not repaired or replaced the machine. I have had multiple GE techs call and visit the house only to claim they need different parts. At what point is it better to simply replace the machine and repair the faulty one on their own schedule. They can sell it later as refurbished. I have been totally inconvenienced by this process and GE's lack of supporting their manufacturer's warranty.

Original review: March 4, 2021

We have only had our appliances for 3 years, mostly all of them have had issues. We have used GE approved appliance repair companies, which is only 1 in my area and each time they are booked out at least a month, so we have to go without our microwave, dishwasher, oven range, and fridge for that time. Our hardwood floors are ruined from our freezer and mini fridge leaking water, a problem that took 4 months to resolve. Each time I call GE I get a different person and it just depends on who you speak with and how competent they are. I would never recommend GE to anyone and do not trust their appliances. The money we have paid out of pocket to get each appliance fixed is ridiculous. Our microwave caught fire and I had to fight GE to pay that bill even though I used their 'approved' appliance company.

Original review: March 1, 2021

The dial on my dryer broke end of Jan 2020. I called GE Warranty, they gave me a confirmation # for a service tech to be contacted. The contracted technician they have in my area would call at 10 am everyday with the only option of service between 1-3 that day, they do not take appointments and are closed weekends. So for the working family how does that work? I was more than willing to make time if an appointment could have been made. When I called GE to see what else could be done, absolutely nothing.

On Feb 4 they provided a reference # of the part that would be mailed to me and would be to me within 3-5 business days. I called today as it has been almost a month, no part and no follow up call. The part now was never approved as a warranty item, it is my responsibility to make time for the technician. Apparently today though with some digging a manager says the part was sent out by Fed Ex Feb 22 2021 but they cannot provide a tracking #. GE ARE CROOKS!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

The stacked washer dryer presents frequent problems. When you call their technician they over charge and also call you from a No Caller ID so you can not talk to them again if needed to clarify the problem. The GE customer relations is pathetic. They don’t cooperate with customers who buy their appliances.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I have a GE Dishwasher and an extended warranty from service protection advantage. My dishwasher is leaking and filed a claim on 23 rd Oct 2020 A technician from Eagle Service visited and told gasket needs to be replaced. Since then nothing happened I have been calling GE Assurant and spoke to supervisor and escalated to case manager. They have been telling Eagle Services will be contacting me soon. Nobody has contacted me so far. It has been more than 75 days. It is really frustrating me.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

We bought the dryer in July 2020 and just 10 weeks after we bought the unit it stopped heating. After waiting on hold for over 2 hours to report and arrange repair I was told the service center would contact me. After I had not been contacted for a week to get an appointment to schedule an appointment, I called the repair center. They said they knew nothing about this. I scheduled with them and they came. Very aggravating. Turns out the wire harness melted and wires were exposed from burning. With my wife being a nurse and it being imperative her-uniforms be kept clean during the pandemic, it took 3 total visits from a technician and 2 different part replacements to get it right.

After roughly 6 weeks of not having a dryer and my wife and myself pleading with GE and hours upon hours spent waiting on hold. They would not replace the unit despite us telling them we smelled burning electrical wires while the unit is working. Just 8 weeks after this happened to us the Dryer started smelling like burning electrical wires again, and stopped heating. Today I waited the total of 3 hours on hold to get a representative to speak with. With my wife explaining the situation in full it was more of the same. We cannot replace the item and will not until the dryer has been framed not fixable. Again despite the burning electrical wires and safety issue GE seems to put our safety last. I will probably end up eating the 900.00 and never ever in my life buy another GE product again. I sincerely hope they change the way they treat their customers that spend a lot of money and rely on their products.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I purchased a laundry center 8 months back. The dryer stopped working. So I called GE warranty service, 3 times to set up a repair, each time they tell a repair service will call me in 24 hours. Has not happened yet. So I call the repairman, says he is too busy, call back GE and tell them to get someone else. They say "No that's the guy you have to use". Call repairman back. Says, "Find somebody else." Bought it at Home Depot. Called them. Told them, "I want to return it. It's broke." They say, "No, call GE." I've already spent hours on the phone with GE. Jose was good. The guy from India told me I had no warranty. What a joke. 1400.00 for that piece of junk!

Take a Home Warranty Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

GE Service Contracts Company Information