1.15/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

35 FireX Smoke Alarms Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I built my own house about a year ago and the electrician installed a bunch of this FireX i4618 throughout my vault ceiling house. About one week ago, one started chirping around 7am. I checked the battery and it was still good. I took this bad one to Home Depot and complained that this is just one year old and it is defective. Home Depot gave me a new one. Today about the same time ~7:45am, the smoke alarm in one of the bedrooms started chirping. I check the battery and it is just like the previous scenario. FireX should go out of business. After reading other reviews, I can't believe me and other consumers kept buying this junk. It cost $15 at Home Depot. Home Depot should stop stocking this junk. Like other consumers, my beloved pooch started freaking out when the smoke alarm squealed.

Original review: July 23, 2017

These alarms go off for no reason at night from bugs or dust really??? But I can stand there with incense burning and nothing! I can't cook without it going off too! This is an insane way to live!!! We finally had to disconnect one. This helped a bit but still get the alarm at night while sleeping! Do not buy FireX!!!

Original review: July 10, 2017

Do not buy FIREX or KIDDE (same company) smoke detectors (i4618A). I replaced all of the alarms in my home 1 1/2 years ago. Last night all of my hardwired alarms kept sounding for about a minute, then would shut off and sound again after about 20 minutes. I took down the one that set the others off. It was warm to the touch. I blew it out with air from my compressor, then installed a fresh Duracell battery. It immediately started sounding before I even plugged it back in, and I had to remove the battery to shut it off.

I called customer service next morning and explained everything that I did. After giving her all the information she asked about the alarm, including the installation date, she asked me the date on the battery I installed. I told her I had just bought them and since they have a shelf life of 5 years, I don't see how it makes a difference, but let me go look. She then said that since I don't think it makes a difference, she has nothing else to say to me and hung up. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD ANYWHERE.

Original review: May 13, 2017

We just moved into our house in November 2016. The previous owners installed FireX smoke alarms throughout the house. Model #S1966, 120-1072B. Issue # 64,995. Of course just like other consumers spoke about our living room smoke alarm started chirping late at night. At least 2 high pitched chirps. Our 2 big dogs are freaking out & looking at me like make it stop!!!

Also mounted on a vaulted ceiling so had to get the ladder from the garage. Had to figure out how to quickly disconnect this from the electrical connection. A solid pull & it was off. I got the compartment open for the 9 Volt battery. By then I am in the garage as the dogs are scared out of their minds! I get the battery out & think "Whew... glad that is over." I bring it back in the house to see if we have any 9 Volt batteries. Meanwhile the smoke alarm is still chirping!! I think what the heck, it is not connected & no battery in it! Dogs are like get it out of here! I take it into the garage & bury it into some old blankets in a box to muffle the chirps.

We got new 9 Volt batteries & installed one. Mounted it back up on the ceiling. It starts chirping again a lot. My husband took it down & said just smash it. By now both dogs are going to have nervous breakdowns (dog owners will get this). I get a hammer, place it on the garage floor, battery out & smash away. It this point it was fun to do. Just like everyone else stated goes off in the middle of the night. 1 or 2am. So glad I read these reviews. We will be buying a different brand for all the smoke alarms in the house. Our bedroom one had been acting up also.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

Customer service rep was very patience and understanding while we solved the problem. We have 8 i4618 hardwired with battery back up. We took down each unit one by one and removed battery to find the culprit. Then reinserted a new battery... Thank you thank you sir for your help... Sorry I did not catch your name.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FireX Smoke Alarms?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I have the I4618 model. Started beeping downstairs since they are interconnected randomly, then upstairs randomly almost always in the middle of the night, like 2 AM. I also had to run to get a ladder out of the garage to disable this absolute piece of garbage from this absolute piece of garbage of a company in my opinion in the middle of the night to disable several of these as I have vaulted ceilings. Absolute GARBAGE in my opinion. Company should be shut down in my opinion.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I woke up at 5:00 am to my smoke alarm blaring, ran down the hall and started fanning the thing as there was no smoke present. I couldn't figure out what could have set it off. I reached up and unplugged it (electrical connection) to have a look, the smoke alarm itself was "hot" and so was the ceiling around it. 20 minutes later everything was cooled down. I thought I had an electrical problem but after reading about this brand I think it may have malfunctioned. I'm taking it down to the fire station to talk to them about it. FIREX model #FX1020.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

I just replaced my hardwired Firex i4618A because the old model was chirping. A backup battery change didn't fix the issue. I bought the exact same model, brand new, with another new backup battery, and it worked for only 4 days, then started chirping. The hardwired circuit checks out with my electrical tester. The 4 day new FireX i4618A went right into the trash and I installed a new brand. Don't buy this brand.

Original review: May 17, 2016

We moved into the house 2010. Shortly after, we had these interconnected alarms sounding, never a chirp, full blown alarms middle of the night of course! We have replaced everyone, still random alarms! Batteries are changed more than twice a year, hard wired, so when one sounds, they all sound! We keep them dust free, blown with Can Air as recommended when we called, company has replaced a couple of them! Still this goes on! One detector is high on a 12ft wall! At 5 am this morning my husband had to scramble into garage to get a ladder to remove it from our living room wall! Meanwhile, we have 2 dogs freaking out, getting them onto the porch! This is NOT ACCEPTABLE! Never any place I've lived have we ever experienced such poor performing smoke detectors! Never smoke, never fire! Never battery issues! Horrible product - FireX smoke alarm i4618.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2016

Smoke alarm 14618 series - I had five alarms professionally installed in 2012. They go off every time I cook but have had a microwave and an oven fire and they were totally quiet. Then the one in the garage has chirped its way through three new sets of batteries in two weeks, while setting off all the alarms. It is chirping, as I write this. My 4 and 5 year old grandchildren are no longer afraid of firemen and have now promised to bake cookies for them. This is both unacceptable and dangerous.

FireX Smoke Alarms Company Information