Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

FireX Smoke Alarms Reviews

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

13 of these bad boys were installed in our new home 2 years ago and installed by a professional. These are both hardwired in with a 9V battery backup. Alarms starting going off immediately with a very large Beep, and a women's voice saying "fire, fire", beep, beep, beep, "fire fire". We took all alarms down and clean them per instructions from Kidde as "there may be construction dust in the units". We also replaced all batteries with brand spanking new batteries, even through they came with battery backups in addition to the hardwiring, but per Kidde's instructions the batteries may need replaced.

Week after week the alarms would sound. Called Kidde for replacements and of course, they won't replace them, but want to run "tests" of which alarm is setting the other 12 off. So, one by one, when an alarm would go off (ALWAYS at 2am), we'd get up, remove the battery and the entire unit from the hardwire leave it unplugged for a few weeks and nothing would go off. Just when we would start sleeping, it would set off the whole system again. So for the past 2 years, we have "tested" each unit. Currently, we have 4 of our 13 units unplugged as we "think" they are the faulty ones, but there is nothing on the alarm itself to indicate an issue. The green light is on and then the wick red to indicate all is functioning properly.

This is absolutely dangerous. We never once have receive a beep, a verbal warning, or full red light to indicate a low battery, (which we have religiously replaced every 6 months in every unit with brand new batteries), but instead get the beep, beep, "fire, fire" beep beep. etc. This is an absolute risk to my family. Originally, the fire alarm would wake my entire household (4 total) and we'd all wake up, search the house, and prep for evacuation. Now I am the only one who even wakes up, because the "ALARM" is no longer an alarm, but rather a background noise. I have ran all the tests, cleaning, new batteries, and everything that Kidde has recommended. This is an absolutely ridiculous piece of junk that should be recalled and replaced. There should never be anything shouting Fire, fire if there is not fire.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

My alarms are all manufactured 2015, three of the 9 I have installed have released a smoke/soot stain to my painted walls and the crown moulding from the 12 o'clock position of the wall-mounted unit. I've used dry chemical sponge without success. Contacted customer service at Kidde and after 18 days am awaiting explanation and cause. The response I received 3 days ago after 2nd attempt to contact resulted in "never heard of the problem" and wanted more information and photos from me. Sent, still waiting. I haven't found any other consumers online complaining about this, but my handyman indicated that he's run into this as some emission from the ionization component. I just want to get these stains removed from my painted walls and crown moulding. Apparently Kidde customer services is not so interested.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We manage 8 Townhomes. All smoke detectors were replaced with this brand of FireX wired detector (i4618A) in 2017. The detectors were purchased at Home Depot and were manufactured in 2015-2016. In 3 Townhomes, I have had to replace all of them once again because they started up without reason blaring and the blaring would not stop until they were disconnected from the ceilings. There was no cause. One home was vacant at the time. The original replacements in 2017 cost us over $900. Then, we turn around less than 2 years later and spend over $300. Never again will we purchase FireX smoke detectors.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I moved into my new home 18 months ago. The builder installed Firex i4618A alarms. Recently the alarm in my bedroom starting tweeting at 3 am. Changed the batteries several times with no change. Garbage!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Like others have mentioned, my interconnected alarms started going off at 3:00 AM. We disconnected them, cleaned them, and replaced the batteries. It's now almost 8:00 AM and I have been up for hours trying to fix this problem. I'm going to disconnect them all and throw them away. My house is only 7 months old. These pieces of junk couldn't even last a year.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FireX Smoke Alarms?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

My fire alarm caught on fire! Yes, believe it or not. Two of my fire alarms went off this morning. When I rushed around looking for the problem, I found that another one of my alarms was smoking and sputtering with a small electrical fire inside the FX 1218 itself! I was able to blow out the flame inside the alarm, then turn off the electricity at the breaker. The fire was all contained within the alarm itself, but it smoked up the house pretty good. I am replacing all eight alarms in my home with another brand!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have an issue with my Kidde fire alarm. I called their customer service number yesterday and after almost 1.5 hours waiting on the phone, I hung up. I emailed them and received a response that they will get back to me as soon as they can, but for urgent calls, call their customer service number. What a joke. I called back today and am currently still on hold after 47 minutes. Unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My house was built in 2006 and has about 10 fire alarms. I left my home and forgot to turn off the stove. Two hours laters, my house was filled with smoke and none of the alarms chirped. Luckily, this was during the day when I was not home. Terrible smoke detector!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

We purchased our two story home with the i4618 interconnecting alarms. They have gone off a time or two while cooking. On 1/5/18 we had a fire in our garage. I woke up to the smoke choking me. We were all sleeping. When I opened my bedroom door to investigate, the entire 2 stories were filled with thick smoke. The garage had an active fire and smoke so thick you could not see. NONE of the 10+ alarms installed sounded. If the smoke didn't wake me up, we could all have been killed. The fire department tested all alarms, and they were functioning when tested. This is deeply concerning. I am waiting for a response from Kidde regarding this issue, however given this experience I would NEVER recommend this brand.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

At 5 am, two mornings ago, I was awakened to all 7 of my fire alarms sounding off. Two are located on the vaulted ceiling, which I could not reach. I had my windows open because it is finally cool in Arizona. I Googled how to stop the alarms, & the only way was to close my windows, & warm up the place. After my dog ran outside to get away from the chirping & 10 minutes later, the alarms were silent. I disconnected the one in the bedroom & waited until the others were silenced. I purchased the home two months ago. These were apparently installed in 2006 when the house was built, but changing the battery in the one in the bedroom did not help. It continued to chirp, so I left it disconnected. Not a pleasant experience at all. If I cannot open my windows on a cool Fall day, then that is a problem! Help!

FireX Smoke Alarms Company Information