Choice Home Warranty vs. OneGuard
What is the difference between Choice Home Warranty and OneGuard?
When you’re comparing home warranty companies, it’s important to look at plans, premiums, service call fees, optional coverages, contractors and the claims process. In this article, we look at two providers you might be choosing between: Choice Home Warranty and OneGuard Home Warranties. We gathered the information you need to help make your decision.
|Monthly premium cost||$46.83 to $54.75||$32 to $59|
|Average cost for combo plan||$54.75 (Total plan)||$59 (HomeGuard)|
|Annual premium cost||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$384 to $708|
|Service call fee||$85||$69|
|Discounts available||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month||Military discount|
|$46.83 to $54.75||$54.75 (Total plan)||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$85||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month|
|$32 to $59||$59 (HomeGuard)||$384 to $708||$69||Military discount|
|Plans available||Basic, Total||ApplianceGuard, SystemGuard, HomeGuard|
|Combo plan covered items||16||18|
|Service recall period||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||30 days|
|Availability||48 states||3 states|
|Basic, Total||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||48 states|
|ApplianceGuard, SystemGuard, HomeGuard||9||11||18||30 days||3 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Ductwork||Only for covered HVAC units|
|Garage door openers|
|Only for covered HVAC units|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.0||4.1|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty provides service contracts for homes in all states except California and Washington, with a network of over 15,000 licensed and insured contractors. You can choose from two plans; the Basic plan covers essential appliances and systems, and the Total Plan adds coverage for air conditioning, a refrigerator, a washer and a dryer. Optional coverage is available for nine different items, including a pool and spa, a second refrigerator, a stand-alone freezer and limited roof leak. You can file claims online or by phone 24/7, then pay the $85 service call fee directly to the technician who comes to your home. CHW lets you transfer a contract with no fee if you sell your home.
Choice Home Warranty plans
- Basic plan: CHW’s Basic plan covers your heating system, electrical system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppage, water heater, whirlpool tub, oven/range/stove, cooktop, dishwasher, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, ductwork, garage door opener and ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Total plan: The Total plan adds coverage for your air conditioning system, washer, dryer and refrigerator.
- Optional coverage: Add coverage for pool and spa, well pump, sump pump, central vacuum, limited roof leak, stand-alone freezer, second fridge, septic system and septic tank pumping.
What Choice Home Warranty customers say
Choice Home Warranty reviewers report positive experiences overall. They describe the company’s customer service representatives as helpful and friendly and contractors as skilled and professional. Some reviewers had challenges with denied claims or coverage not meeting expectations.
OneGuard Home Warranties offers plans in Arizona, Nevada and Texas. Plans differ based on whether you're a homeowner, buyer, seller or real estate professional. Homeowners can choose to cover appliances, systems or both, with a large selection of optional add-ons. A standout feature of OneGuard plans is its inclusion of home maintenance services (service fee required); all plans cover carpet cleaning, window cleaning, pest control, lawn weed kill treatment and more. The service call fee on homeowner plans is $69. Customers can make a service request 24/7 online or by phone; OneGuard says a qualified service contractor in its network usually contacts you within four hours.
- ApplianceGuard: This appliances plan covers your refrigerator, dishwasher, range/oven/cooktop, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, instant hot water dispenser, trash compactor, washer and dryer. Services include re-key and garage remote reprogramming, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, pest control treatment, termite treatment, weed kill treatment and lawn fertilization.
- SystemGuard: SystemGuard covers the air conditioning system, heating system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppages, water heater, electrical system, ceiling and exhaust fans, central vacuum, smoke detectors, doorbells, garage door opener, permits and code upgrades and equipment disposal. It also includes the following services: air conditioning and heating tuneups, garage door tuneup, re-key and garage door remote reprogramming, carpet cleaning, window cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, pest control treatment, termite treatment, weed kill treatment and lawn fertilization.
- HomeGuard: HomeGuard combines all coverages in the ApplianceGuard and SystemGuard plans. OneGuard says it's the best value.
- Optional coverage: OneGuard offers optional coverage for undetectable preexisting conditions, sprinkler systems, water filtration systems, guest houses, pools, spas and second appliances. Availability depends on which plan you choose.
What OneGuard customers say
Customers generally give OneGuard high marks for an easy claims process and competent repair professionals who got the job done. Reviewers like the extra coverage for services not covered by competitors. Some customers note long times on hold for customer service when calling to set up a repair appointment.
Bottom line: Choice Home Warranty or OneGuard?
If you live in Arizona, Nevada or Texas and are choosing between Choice Home Warranty and OneGuard Home Warranties, you’ll notice some differences. CHW covers both appliances and systems in each of its plans, while OneGuard covers appliances, systems or both. OneGuard has a lower starting cost, but both charge similar prices for their top-tier coverage. OneGuard’s plans, however, include a number of services not traditionally offered by other companies, like pest control and carpet cleaning. Both providers have similar star ratings on ConsumerAffairs.
- Choice Home Warranty is best for customers who want a basic plan that covers both appliances and systems.
- OneGuard is best for customers in Arizona, Nevada or Texas who want maximum coverage, including for services that aren't usually part of home warranty plans, like window cleaning, termite treatment and weed kill treatment.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.