2. Elder Care

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Stair Lift Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

AmeriGlide Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGlide?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriGlide?

Original review: March 4, 2019

Have a broken armrest. Price is $120 for two pieces of plastic! Shipping is $20, each piece, top and bottom, is $48!!! REALLY!!! As it is an AmeriGlide, you can only get parts from AmeriGlide. A total racket!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

We purchased 2 Ameriglide Horizon stair lifts through Roger ** at the Raleigh store. First, just a side note, what a beautiful store! The place is a showcase and even has a working two story elevator display. Their stairlift display has a curved, which I went in to see, and 3 straight stair lift models. Roger helped me evaluate the options we had for our staircase which were using 2 straight lifts and transferring from one lift to the other or having them build a customer curved stair lift just for our staircase.

My mother is 91 but still very active. She has the capability to transfer now but who know about next year. We decided on a curved lift although it cost twice as much a the 2 straight lift solution. This is not a quick process as the lift is custom made for our staircase. Two days after we signed the paperwork a tech, Eddie **, showed up and used a camera to measure our staircase. They then created a CAD drawing of exactly how the stair lift would be built and we made a change with the upper landing by adding a 90 degree bend so the chair stops in the hallway away from the stairs and out of the way. They had to create another CAD which took a few more days. We approved the CAD and the order was sent to the plant for production of our lift.

Three weeks later a pallet showed up at our house. Eddie came out the next day and installed the lift and we must say it is perfect! My mother loves it, and we love knowing she is not going to fall down the stairs. We can highly recommend the AmeriGlide curved stairlift. We don't normally leave comments. However the process and product deserve our comments. Just perfect!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

The purchase of our stair chair went smoothly but after the total was paid to order the device, trying to get the chair and have it installed was a 6 month nightmare and at this time (12/3/2018) it has finally arrived but is still in boxes on my porch. I contacted our salesman...he directed me to someone else. The second person directed me back to our salesperson, the salesman directed me to the installer, the installer directed me to someone else who said he couldn't help me. Finally our sales person said it had not arrived to us because it was being refurbished. The second person I was directed to called back and said the chair was accidentally sent to someone in central Missouri. We live in Central Illinois.

The individual in Central Missouri phoned me (I have no idea how he got my number) and said he would take it to UPS himself but after several phone calls to AmeriGlide he still did not have the correct paperwork to send them. 6 months of double talk, lies, and finger pointing, the chair was delivered last week and is still sitting on our front porch. The company refuses to compensate me for the inconvenience of waiting 6 months for something promised to be installed within 6 weeks of payment nor will they take it back and refund my money. BEWARE! DO NOT deal with AmeriGlide!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

This product shipped from Canada and installation assistance and service is not available in Michigan. For me, this was not a problem. Being in the lift business (large theatrical and industrial lifts) I have the skills and resources to install and maintain. The numbered items below are from a letter sent to AmeriGlide (no response). It was later discovered that the problem in No 6. below was due to the use of counterfeit parts out of China. Now to be added to the list are failing main lift bearings. Grrr. The reason I gave them a 2nd star is that the sales people responded appropriately.

1. This was ordered as a Hercules II. When delivered, it has a tag calling it a Vista A-613. If I call AmeriGlide for tech support, the support people may not know that the Vista is made by a Canadian division and even that it exists.
        2. Limit switches are a non-standard size Chinese import, but look like an industrial standard configuration. When I had a limit switch fail, I had to wait over a week to get a new one from Canada. I could not simply purchase a standard limit switch and install it because it would require completely new bracketry.

3. I recently had a failure of the lift and found that the spade terminals on the drive contactors were loose. I had to crimp them slightly and place them securely back in place. This could be prevented by care during manufacturing.

4. The manual override tool is all but useless. It has a thin plastic knob that is usable only by someone with a large hand (fortunately I do). The thin plastic cuts into the hand during use. Only a fraction of a turn can be made with each grip on the handle. Using it for any real problem is not practical. I modified mine by removing the plastic handle and welding in a ¾” threaded stud and a hex nut to the stud. I can at least put a wrench on it to get sufficient torque.

5. I recently had a failure while a wheelchair bound person was on the lift.
        a. There is no access hole for the manual tool in the top cover.
        b. The directions with the lift indicates that there is access.

c. The top cover cannot easily be removed with the lift near the top position. With the wheelchair on the lift, I had to use a right angle screw driver to reach into the slot between the column and the lift sides to make ¼ turns on the screws securing the top. In the future, I will drill 2 access holes so I can get a screw driver onto the screws.

6. As a root cause of the recent failure, the C1 solenoid has failed. {I have identified this as Albright part number: SW80-636L. This is a special, evidently manufactured for you. I am attempting to get an equivalent replacement (P/N: SW80A-2329L)}. I hope I can get it delivered overnight from the local supplier. Otherwise on Wednesday, I will have to call the Fire Department to help exit the house using an evacuation chair.

Diagnosing the problem was difficult because:
        a. This happened on a weekend and no tech support was available.
        b. The black and white printout of the electrical schematic included in the panel was evidently made from a color print. It wasn’t until I stood in sunlight that I saw there were more faint lines on the schematic.

c. The legend on the drawing is incomplete.

d. The format of the drawing was made to save paper and not to be readable. Using a conventional one-line format would make it more understandable. It would probably require one or 2 more sheets of paper.

e. Electrical diagram is suitable for installation only. There is no sequence of operation or other information that would make troubleshooting practical (what do the lights mean?).

7. In troubleshooting a problem with the system, the control panel is only accessible when the platform is at the full up or full down position. My lift is 5’. If it were any shorter, access would be a real problem. I am sorely tempted to get a mini PLC and build a new panel that I can locate externally and easily debug. Consider having application specific mounting option for the control panel:
        a. Reverse mounted so that the panel may be accessed from behind the lift column

b. Remote mounted with extension cable so that the panel may be mounted in an accessible location

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Called in and learned that we could use two straight stairlifts on our L-shaped staircase instead of the $12-20,000 quotes we received from other companies. The total price we paid for two stairlifts was under $5,000. Huge savings, and my husband and I really appreciated the rep steering us in this direction.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Excellent, definitely the most affordable. My in-laws are moving into our home and we needed to have a stair lift installed to help them reach the downstairs area where they will be living. We had a few companies come out and give quotes. One was over $3000, and the other was over $4000. AmeriGlide gave a quote over the phone with and without installation. We opted for installation and only paid $2432.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Overall for the price paid, I expected a system that was a little more refined, a lot of the components come together like an amateur cobbled this thing together in their garage to make it work. After installed it does work and seems to be adequately sturdy for its purpose. My lift arrived with the following problems: 1) Final Limit Error - I immediately called my sales rep Danny ** for assistance and he quickly transferred me to parts, which went straight to voicemail. I left a message and now, 2 days later still no response. Apparently once they get your money they're out of the customer service business and you're on your own. Lucky thing I'm a retired electronics tech and they do provide a wiring diagram. I found the problem with adjustment of the Safety Gear Limit switch, not sure what that switch does, it's attached to a bunch of levers and springs, I adjusted it until the error disappeared.

2) I was missing the fused link that you are suppose to connect between the batteries, I fabricated one. 3) The lead that they included to connect the last battery to the power switch was too short, I fabricated one of them as well. 4) A big gouge in both halves of the rail, the gouge on the top rail is cosmetic, but the gouge on the bottom rail was on the side of the rail which interfered with the passing of the carriage assembly. I had to use a flat file to smooth out the guide roller opening to allow smooth passage past that point.

5) No hardware was sent to attach the upper rail end cap, I took a screw out of the bottom cap and matched it at the hardware store. Wouldn't you know, apparently the two rail sections I received are from different extrusions. The holes for the upper cap are larger in diameter than the bottom rail, a second trip back to the store for some thicker screws.

6) The power leads from off of the power supply that you are suppose to connect to the rail already have the connectors crimped onto the wires. Pretty interesting when you are suppose to thread this end of the wire through the cable gland on the rail, but it is physically impossible to do that with the connectors already on the wire. I had to cut them off, back to the hardware store for connectors and install new connectors after the wire was threaded through the gland.

7) After getting this thing to finally work, It would not charge. So I had to take it all apart again (3rd time) only to troubleshoot it down to a blown 7.5A fuse on the motherboard, a blown fuse on a tested unit, tested by NP on 23/3/17, notice the date of 2017, I'll get back to that below. Another trip to the hardware store for a fuse and everything seems to work. 8) Well almost... The remotes do not seem to work, no documentation other than how to mount them to the wall is included. Not an important feature for me anyway.

As I mentioned my sales rep was Danny **, he was the most helpful person up until I paid. Let me explain: I needed this lift installed before my mother arrived to live with us. He assured me I would have it delivered on the 13th, I was leaving on the 17th. I confirmed with him on 2 additional dates and got the same answer.

Now shipping from North Carolina to my location is 5-7 days ground via any carrier including freight. So on the 10th I again inquired about shipping, got the same answer. So when it didn't show up on the 13th I call again and now all of a sudden I'm not going to get it in time. This was when the big storm hit NC, but this thing should have shipped the week before to be on time. I had to depart to move my mother, and it was sitting here waiting when we returned, but with all the problems I had getting this thing up and running (see comments above) it took 3 days before my mother could use it. She was confined to the upstairs for 3 days because I had to carry her up the stairs and she did not feel safe being carried.

Take everything that Danny ** tells you with a grain of salt, he's just into getting your money. I purchased a used Horizon unit, he told me that they didn't have any used units in stock and that I would be receiving a new unit... Even better. But did you notice they inspected by date on the used unit I did receive? March 2017? Yep, not in stock since 2017! I received what I paid for, kind of, but just don't like being lied to. I do have buyer's regret not due to the quality of the lift, but due to the lack of customer service. Be prepared to troubleshoot and fix this thing yourself, you'll be on your own once you've paid. If you think that will be an issue for you, then you should shop somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

To buy the $3895 dumbwaiter became $5,487 after shipping and taxes. Website suggested easy installation and originally planned to install the dumbwaiter. The instructions proved this isn't a DIY project. Then, there is the state permit and inspection. Hired AmeriGlide in Marietta to install... $2,429. Under $4K for a dumbwaiter sounds great, but by the time the electrician is paid, doors are bought, installed and finished, plan for a minimum of $9,000 for a dumbwaiter, not counting the framing for the shaft. AmeriGlide, Marietta is a independent company. They do not warrant their installation past the 1st month (even if the house is vacant and the dumbwaiter hasn't been used). Our first problem with the locking mechanism (they provided and installed) required pre-agreement to pay them for their service.

Original review: May 24, 2018

If you are in need of a stairlift chair for your loved one, take my advise and use a different vendor! AmeriGlide is only after the sale and the experience we had with them was enough to make me write my first review ever! I was VERY specific about the space this chair was going in as it was a unique area.The sales snake was very reassuring that what we were purchasing would function perfectly fine in the space. I literally cannot get into my home if the chair is down, and there is a 13" track right in the middle of a walkway. And AmeriGlide DOES NOT CARE that they sold us a chair that does not work in our home. We are now stuck with a few thousand dollar chair that is going to end up causing more grief than help.

Original review: May 22, 2018

This company WILL NOT respond to problems... If you purchase this stairlift you cannot get service, you cannot get parts. They promise call back and WILL NOT CALL BACK... The sales dept is very good, after you purchase, you are left hanging and in my area no one will service them. I can service the unit, however I cannot get parts. I am now MAKING the parts to rebuild the unit. If this does not work we will SCRAP the Horizon... We have had the Horizon for 18 months and are considering buying an Acorn and throwing this one in the dumpster.

AmeriGlide® Company Information