American Home Shield vs. Home Warranty of America
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between American Home Shield and Home Warranty of America?
Home repairs are a reality of homeownership, and often these repairs are both unexpected and expensive. If you’re not financially prepared for these fixes, your wallet can take a big hit. A home warranty (not to be confused with homeowners insurance) can help you feel more prepared, though. Here we compare two home warranty companies, American Home Shield and Home Warranty of America, breaking down coverage and pricing to help you decide which is the right fit.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$43 to $55.31|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$55.31 (Premier Plus)|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$516 to $663.72|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$75 or $100|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Not specified|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$43 to $55.31||$55.31 (Premier Plus)||$516 to $663.72||$75 or $100||Not specified|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, ShieldPlatinum||Premier, Premier Plus|
|Combo plan covered items||18||20|
|Service recall period||30 days||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor|
|Availability||47 states||50 states|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, ShieldPlatinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Premier, Premier Plus||10||10||20||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor||50 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||—||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||3.7|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield has three home warranty plans available. These are ShieldGold, ShieldSilver and ShieldPlatinum. It also has several add-on options that extend coverage to pools, spas, septic pumps, well pumps and guest units. One benefit of American Home Shield is that it also offers electronics coverage (not available in California), while many home warranty companies do not.
American Home Shield plans
- ShieldSilver: ShieldSilver is the lowest-tier plan from American Home Shield, and it offers the cheapest option. Pricing starts at $29.99 per month. Coverage includes cooling and heating systems, electrical systems and plumbing systems.
- ShieldGold: ShieldGold is American Home Shield’s midlevel option. It starts at $39.99 per month. Coverage includes heating and cooling systems, plumbing systems, electrical systems and kitchen and laundry appliances.
- ShieldPlatinum: ShieldPlatinum offers the most coverage and is the most comprehensive option. It starts at $54.99 per month. One benefit is that it covers HVAC tuneup and unlimited air conditioning refrigerant. Additional coverage includes heating and cooling systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems, kitchen appliances, laundry appliances and roof leak repairs.
What American Home Shield customers say
Overall, American Home Shield receives mostly positive reviews on ConsumerAffairs. Happy customers say the company covers critical items, is good about replacing items that can’t be repaired and offers a good value for the service. However, some lower ratings mention frustration with the monthly fee increasing and wait times for both services and customer support callbacks when it comes to claim resolution.
Home Warranty of America
Home Warranty of America is a well-respected company that has more than 25 years of experience in the field. It offers two levels of home warranty plans with two different service fees/deductibles. Its Premier Plus plan offers components many other companies don’t provide, like coverage for dishwasher racks, rollers and baskets. Home Warranty of America also offers add-on coverage options for guest units, pools and well pumps.
Home Warranty of America plans
- Premier: The Premier plan starts at $43 per month. It covers heating systems, water heaters, washers and dryers, built-in appliances, central vacuum, electric system, ceiling fans, burglar and fire alarms, drywall, doorbells, garage door openers, plumbing systems and more.
- Premier Plus: The Premier Plus plan offers everything in the Premier plan, plus air conditioning coverage. Additionally, it provides more in-depth coverage for parts in appliances and systems. Pricing starts at $52.23 per month.
What Home Warranty of America customers say
Home Warranty of America reviews on ConsumerAffairs are mixed. Among 5-star reviews, we see comments about quick, no-fuss service and claims submissions, with customers saying the service paid off and that they’d recommend the company to friends and family. On the other hand, we saw some themes in 1-star reviews related to claims being left open for months and resolutions being difficult to manage. We always recommend looking at the latest reviews for a company when making your decision.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.