Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Curves Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Curves?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Curves?

Original review: June 2, 2018

I love Curves because the circuit works all my muscles without me having to think about it. I just come in and start working out. Everyone is friendly and I look forward to going there each time. The workouts automatically increase as I get stronger so I keep seeing results.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I've been going to Curves locations for 14 years. The people are great, the staff is great, it meets the needs of senior women quite well. I wish there was one closer than 12 miles away from my home.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Curves is a awesome place for workouts. I am always hesitant to go to gym. It's Curves and Roopa who changed my way of life. Today Curves has become my daily part of life. Curves' a place with gym, workouts and zumba only for women. Curves is best place to strengthen women. Thanks Curves and team.

Original review: July 29, 2016

I read some of these complaints and find it amazing that people don't bother to read an agreement they are signing but then have the gall to complain and talk about taking someone to court for what, expecting them to commit to what they agreed to and signed. Give me a break. What are you gonna tell the judge when he ask "did you sign this agreement." "Yes but I didn't read it and now I want to complain." What a joke. And where do you think these owners get their income. Do you complainers go to work every day and then if were told "oh sorry no paycheck today" would that be ok. I think not but you want a franchise owner to work for free. Do you realize these owners may "own" their club but they are a franchise and have rules, lot of rules they are legally required to follow. Of course not because you are just a complainer, poor me, poor me. Suck it up and get a life. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Original review: June 4, 2016

I am filing a complaint with 2 Curves locations in Matthews, North Carolina, and Indian Trail North Carolina. I first started going to Curves at the Matthews location in May 2015. At the time my self-esteem was poor, for the first time in my life I had a belly, I was working as a Live-In Caregiver helping the gentleman's wife care for her husband who had multiple physical and psychological issues. I had started the job in late December so began making Christmas treats, cookies, fudge etc. He was able to help me with unwrapping Hershey Kisses and Rolos. Of course I ate all the treats and when the weather got warmer, could not fit into any of my shorts so decided to join Curves and was greeted warmly by a coach, getting a baseline of weight, measurements etc. I went on my days off, Wednesday and Saturdays. It took me awhile to learn all the machines and liked the balance and dance classes.

Every time I came in and swiped my card it said: "See your coach," and got nothing but evasive answers, oh she was going to try and get everyone on the same schedule. This went on for months and I thought what am I paying $44.00 for, one coach said, "You can weigh yourself anytime," never measured or weighed to see if I was making any progress. Then one day as I was driving over to my old neighborhood I noticed a Curves in a shopping center, in the corner, not very visible, except I noticed balloons and thought I would stop in there. I explained my predicament and decided to change location and go to the Curves in Indian Trail, North Carolina. Unfortunately I was only able to attend this Curves a few times, I was working longer hours, not getting my days off, then find out I needed 2 medical procedures in September and October.

I called and spoke with the owner who said I needed a letter from my Dr to show proof I could not work out until I fully recovered. I also called the owner and let her know I had lost my job in October because my client became a danger to himself and others. The money I had in my savings went very fast, having to get a storage unit, pay the rest of my bills and staying at Extended Stays because I really did not want to go back to a friend's house who had helped me in the past when I was having financial difficulties, this did not matter to the owner, they don't care what is happening in your life, the bottom line is the monthly fee. The contract says 2 different things also, that you are to give a 30 day written notice, but also states some mumbo jumbo about giving a written notice no later than the 3rd day from the time you signed up a year earlier, which one is it?

I was appalled when I finally read the contract, they will keep billing you even if you die! Go after your estate. This place preys on vulnerable women who want to get back into shape. It's horrible. I should not have that $ automatically taken out of my account in June of 2016, but because I didn't give a written notice. $44.00 a month is a lot of $ to me right now, I have had to move clear across the coast where my wonderful family has been helping me out, otherwise I would be homeless, does Curves care, he'll no they don't. They will after I take this higher if my account is not credited back to me, it really helps to have a lawyer in the family. Curves is pure evil greed.

Original review: April 27, 2016

When I workout, I focus on working out. The Curves in Jasmine Square in Ocala off 200 is "different." They count how many times you go around the circuit and let you know if they think you go around too often, they will tell you when they think you need a haircut, if you stayed in the restroom long enough to wash your hands several minutes, and it goes on and on. They will talk about you when you're not there because others would relay info to us.

Also, this is Florida. The owner feels turning fans on cools the gym. For $40 a month I expect a cooler gym. It is hot pretty much year round and never the temperature other gyms keep it at for motivating one to really workout. My friend and I were paying almost $40 month when other local gyms were 2 annual memberships for Too Your Health for $99 and another gym charges $10 a month. We are now members of the Dunnellon Too Your Health and we don't know why we waited as long as we did.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I have been using Curves for about 10 years. I love it! The Saline, Michigan Curves has well trained, caring coaches. The other members are friendly and caring also. We laugh together, share each other's problems, and support each other through life's joys and tragedies. I love the workout and would go every day if I had the time. I especially enjoy the key tag feature - it makes me push my workout to its full potential. I also love the new workout classes between circuit machines -especially the Jillian Michaels. I have become so much stronger using these workouts. When I started I could barely do one push up and now I do 10! I can go in tired and depressed and come out rejuvenated and happy!

Original review: March 20, 2016

A friend of mine and I decided to join Curves in Oct 2015. I asked the then owner, Drew, two simple questions 1) Is this location in risk of closing and 2) Is this location in risk of being sold? She assured us that we had nothing to be concerned with. So after reading contract, we joined. Just prior to joining I had rotator cuff surgery in my left shoulder due to a car accident. She understood (she said) and encouraged me to do machines in the circuit that would not do any damage. This is when she said they have a walking class that a lot of the ladies really loved. That was very good news to me for cardio. So we joined, but I had done my research and did not want them to have my bank info so I paid for a year in cash, and she did discount my fees for paying in cash.

The walking classes were scheduled in the day and there were quite a few of us that attended. Basically it was putting in Leslie Sansone DVD's and do the walk in the center of the room. It was AWESOME!!! Great cardio and we always encouraged each other to finish! Fast forward to Nov 2015. I had the bad luck of falling down a 2 story staircase in my home and broke both my shoulder and elbow in my right arm. Surgery, metal screws (23) and metal plates (4) and no working out of anything per Dr. orders. I got the letter from my Ortho Surgeon and my friend turned it in. "No problem" said Drew when I called to confirm that she had my letter. She stated my membership was on medical hold until my Dr. cleared me. Late Jan 2016 my Dr. cleared me to work out lower body only. That was OK with me because of the walking. Very happy!

The my second week back I overheard Drew saying that it was her last day because the gym had been sold. That was one of my questions she LIED about when I joined. So the new owner's (wife) was there one day, I tried to introduce myself and she abruptly told me to fill out a questionnaire, she has no time to "chat." OK. Negative impression. Then I was out for a week because of medical complications with my elbow. I returned after their "Grand Reopening" and I was pretty sad at the changes. Some were positive, but for me, most were negative. The was no more walking classes... No discussion. When I told him I needed the cardio, he said I'd get a better workout on the very flimsy rubber mats (already curling) between machines and I would be shown how to do this. One of the leg machines was gone. Told by Mark it was not safe because it caused some people pain.

I'm thinking come on ladies! If it hurts don't do it! I don't need him to tell me it isn't good for me. So that is one less machine I can work out on. Never once during the hour I was there nobody came to talk with me about the mats. AND Mark told me he will be there a lot. What happened to "this is a gym for women?" I am not the only one frustrated. There were 5 other women who left angry just during my visit. There is one funny thing about this... The sign posted in the bathroom that states in part "We have no intention of eliminating the things you like." You already did! Which brings up the fact that the bathroom itself has no door. The cubicles do, but not the room. Where will we change our clothes since there is only 1 small space with a curtain? Not enough.

Also, will he be using the ladies room, and who will do the measuring? I give this gym 6 months, a year at most and it will close for good, which is a shame. I am now looking at other locations and buying Leslie's DVDs on eBay. I thought I had done my research, but Mark even stated that Drew had this up for sale for 2 years. In one word: UNACCEPTABLE! I am not happy with this gym in Meridian Idaho!

Original review: March 10, 2016

I'm in college and needed a job to pay for school and since my mom comes to Curves, she recommended coaching to me. May I point out, I love the idea and the program has worked for my mom for years. I met with the owner and she was very nice and gave me the job on the spot. Here's my problem. School is expensive and I don't get very many hours. 12 hours a week is the most I've gotten. I'm struggling to pay for school, gas, and other expenses I have and she's refusing to give me more hours. My next problem is the training process. It's about 140 hours of online training. They didn't go into a lot of detail about health and fitness. Yes they did go over the machines and how to weigh and measure. But most of the training was marketing and how to sell a membership which is fine but that was the majority of it. Not what Curves should really be about which is losing weight and staying healthy.

My last problem I'm expected to partake in the workout program. Our hours are 7:30-12 and 3:30-7 Monday-Friday and 9-11 Saturday and if you saw my daily schedule you would want to take a nap. I have joined a 24-hour gym because they are open at a convenient time for me. Honestly if the hours didn't suck so much I would utilize it more but I can't because we're not open when I can come and I know that's the case for many ladies that have come to me and said they wanted to cancel.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2016

I had started my membership in May 2015 because I wanted to get back into a routine fitness routine. I had met the owner of the local Curves gym at my place of employment and she encouraged me to join. I liked the fact that only women were there and I didn't have to deal with with a younger crowd watching you. Although I felt that I was in better shape than most of the women there I enjoyed it and the other women were friendly and encouraging. As time went on I would want to be more focused on my workout and a certain "coach" would continually ask me questions. I had known her from working in the same hospital about 15-20 years prior and she was now retired from this competing hospital in the same town and we had just opened a clinic the end of January 2016.

The community of Princeton, Illinois was happy that our hospital was bringing a service to the town that the current city owned hospital could not. Other Curves members would consistently tell me how happy they were that our clinic had opened. The members of Curves were always very pleasant and I enjoyed talking to them.

One morning I had received a voice mail that the manager wanted to speak with me. I called her back later in the day but she wasn't there so I left a message to have her call me back but she never did. I continued to work out there for one more week until I received a letter stating that my membership was to be terminated immediately. It stated that it was due to my "conduct in the circuit". Apparently there were "complaints" from others that I was "complaining about my co-workers and insulted the town of Princeton". The letter stated that other members were upset about it so therefore my membership was terminated effective immediately.

I immediately called the owner, Robin, to discuss the letter but she wouldn't return my call. I also texted her but she wouldn't respond. I also called corporate to explain the situation and they said that all they could do was to contact her to let her know that I was trying to call her and that I wanted to speak with her. After several attempt, it's obvious that I will not get a phone call. I felt that I had a right to discuss something that I was falsely accused of. I also feel that if there had been any issues, they would have spoken to me about it first before sending me the letter.

This whole experience is ludicrous and it's hard to imagine that ANY professional business would behave like this. I truly believe that I was singled out because one of the "coaches" didn't like the fact that I was working at a competing hospital clinic (Probably it's important to mention that this woman is married to a Doctor at the other hospital in town). Since I cannot get an answer or a response from the owner I feel as if it's the Mean Girls Club from high school. Completely unprofessional.

Curves Company Information