2.21/5

116 Oreck Air Purifiers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 24, 2013

The Tower was fantastic for the first 2 years but then the wires started breaking, thereby not cleaning odors out of the room. The wires were replaced under warranty but now, within 3 months, two of the four wires are again broken and odors are present. Would like to get another brand of purifier but the Oreck is still under warranty so can't quite justify the cost of another model. However, I don't want to take the unit in for repair every 2-3 months.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

We bought an Oreck Pro shield xl to improve the air quality of or daughters room because of her asthma. Within a week her symptoms improved. We could even hear that her breathing sounded better. She was more active and even looked better. Can I say how happy we were with the outcome. We live in a trailer and the air quality is poor to say the least.

BUT over a month ago it stopped running. I contacted Oreck for repair. It is under warranty and I took it in and after about three weeks I called the repair person and was told I would have to pay shipping on the part. I called Oreck and they took care of that issue. On the fourth week I called back to the repair person and was told the part now was on back order with no e.t.a. About now, my daughter was experiencing those episodes of labored breathing and poor skin color a lack of energy and so on.

I called Oreck and asked to have the unit replaced because they could not return my unit it a timely manner and because it has such a devastating effect on my daughters health. I was told that Oreck does not make any medical or heath claims. Also I was told that they would have to file a request to have the part shipped to the repair facility and when I asked how long that would take I was told it depended on the work load. I am very unhappy with Oreck's repair service or concern. It is now going on six weeks or more.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2013

I own an Oreck XL Ultra vacuum which I purchased (fortunately) before they changed the design. I DO believe that, since they revised the design of the vacs, the quality is not nearly as good as it used to be. Long time Oreck vac owners would agree, there was no better vacuum to be had. Based on what everyone is saying nowadays about the newer ones, it's really sad. I also own one of the tabletop air purifiers and while I'm not dissatisfied with it, I can't say I'm wholly satisfied. Even before I purchased the unit, it was obvious that since they were resorting to infomercials, the quality would be questionable, at best. Used to, Oreck did NOT advertise. WHY? Because a good product, a time tested quality product, advertises itself. They used their reputable name to market crappy devices, and that's what's really sad.

My purifier has lasted for quite some time. The cleaning of the Truman cell is a hassle, a huge hassle, and it means that I must go without the unit's operation up to a full day. I depend on the unit. Also, if you want the thing really, really clean, you need to use the $15 cleaner they sell (that they conveniently left OUT of the infomercial). Only if I let the unit go for several months w/out cleaning do I see the amount of dirt and contaminates that the infomercial shows. It does pretty well for absorbing odors, but as for dust... no, it doesn't lessen the amount of dust. I think for what it is, it's a fairly good product. But to measure it to the standards by which Oreck holds it and advertises it means it's a pretty crappy device.

Last time I was in the Oreck store (from where I purchased the unit), the same sales lady told me they decided that my model's features turned out to be not so good, proceeded to show me the next newer model and tried to sell me not one, but two of them. I was so dumbfounded, so disappointed... I said, "If you know your product turned out to be bad, how dare you so cheerfully attempt to sell me another." I don't know what's worse, the quality of the products these days, or that Oreck really takes their customers for granted and thinks them stupid. I sit the fence of my stance with Oreck these days, but I'll always be among those who remember that, at one time, Oreck was... the best.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2013

Called to find out what type of deodorizer I need. They told me they can't find my model and it does not exist. Said they would call back. That was a week ago. They do not care and service is **. I wasted 2/1/2 hours on the phone. I called both sites Canada and USA. What crap.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2013

I purchased the air filter hoping to remove much of the dust and pet dander that the Oreck ad said would happen. Instead I have see no change in the level of dust, how I breathe (supposed to be better), or in the level of pet dander (my friend still sneezes when she comes into my condo despite that I clean it regularly). I have used the air filter cleaner, but there is never anything to clean! No matter how many weeks I run it at a time, there is never anything that comes off the air filter when I use the Oreck air filter cleaner. This product is useless, expensive, and a scam as far as I am concerned.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Oreck?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2013

I bought two Oreck XL professional air purifiers. One for my bedroom, and the other for the living room. I have a dog that sheds a lot, and thought it might cut down on the dander, dust, and maybe some of the hairs that are left behind. While I've never really been one to suffer from allergies, within the first week that I've had it, my eyes are itchy, and I am sneezing more than usual. When I wake up in the morning, my throat is dry. It seems to me that it's just kicking up a lot of dust. I saw a cool box fan air purifier on YouTube. It costs less than $40, and supposedly works as well as a $800 Honeywell. I think I'll be returning these.

Original review: June 27, 2013

I just bought Oreck XL by phone after a TV ad with 50% plus a fridge purifier. On the telephone conversation, I asked if the TV ad was true and they said, "Yes, it's only $166.65 plus fridge purifier." I even asked how much to pay for 3 months, and they said $55.55 x 3 months. It was a recorded conversation. Just this morning, the parcel arrived and I checked my receipt with full price, $539.95, with no fridge purifier!!! They deceive people! Do not trust this company ever again!!!

Original review: June 11, 2013

I purchased the Power Scrubber to be used on our stone tile floors in Jan. 2013 for $450. The back of the machine cracked in half (it’s all plastic) in May 2013 after four months only - used 1x a week, so approximately 16x. We took it to a local vacuum repair place and were told they could not help us and we should send it back since it was so new. I contacted Oreck and the woman who spoke to me was not very helpful; she was rude. I told her I wanted a refund, and I was told I would be charged a $169 restocking fee. Hum spend more money and then still have nothing? She told me the warranty had expired just a short 5 days before, and THERE WAS NOTHING SHE COULD DO SINCE THE WARRANTY IS EXPIRED. I asked for a return label to be sent (which has still not arrived) and I wanted a replacement machine.

The machine is not operator friendly. Unlike a normal vacuum where you push and pull back and forth, this will only work in one direction OR IT SHUTS OFF. One must tip it up on its wheels to move it forward and then pull it backward (very awkward). The cleaning solution costs almost $10 a bottle. Luckily, I found a seller for $5 a bottle which is sitting in a box. I AM USUALLY MORE CAREFUL ABOUT PURCHASES BUT FELT I WAS MISLED ABOUT THIS ONE ON SOME REVIEWS. PIECE OF PLASTIC JUNK!!!

Original review: May 14, 2013

I had it about 2 weeks and it broke down on me. Then I called them and they kept making excuses not to fix it or give my money back. The product is junk. It’s noisy and doesn't even work right - a waste of money.

Original review: March 7, 2013

I've been stuck at home for the last week or so. I don't normally watch daytime TV. I ended up watching the Oreck Air Purifier infomercial, thought the item sounded fantastic, wrote down all the info and numbers. But the sweet, kindly old man selling the stuff, sort of seemed too good to be true. And come on, if you are going to con someone, use a damn good decoy. After a bit of looking online, I found out it is mostly false advertising. Much better air purifiers are available and these dubious claims, and "free shipping" and no risk tryouts are all just to get your credit card out.

They do not tell you all the fine print and you will regret the impulse that makes you think, "Hey I need cleaner air right away, and this nice old grandpa can deliver!" Do some research, find a reputable dealer. Beware of too good to be true offers. Come on, really! Was air quality top of your to-do list before you saw this slanted little offer?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2012

Grossly misrepresented by infomercial. It isn't an air purifier or even a functioning air cleaner. They claim it kills mold, spores, and bacteria and is ideal for allergy and asthma patients - not true! The space it claimed to "purify air" is over 900 square feet. Not so. Oreck's webpage states air cleaning/purifying of rooms up to 240 square feet! I have received a return label without hassle and am in the process of doing so. At best, it appears that the Dualmax does deodorize smoke or lingering cooking odors within a limited area.

Simply a case of false advertising, and obviously, they have calculated that more customers will keep the nonfunctional product then return it. Fraudulent hucksters! The bonus insult - it sells for a low, low sale price advertised on infomercial of $399.99. Wow. On Oreck's website, the sale price is $299.99. Yes, "There's a sucker born every minute (WC Fields)." And Joe Oreck knows that all too well. On their behalf, they actually were professional and amicable in processing my return request. I will hold further comment until I see a credit on my chosen method of payment.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2012

We found that it was second hand and we are being charged over 300.00 if not more. We have sent them back and would like our money returned. Thank you.

Original review: March 26, 2012

I bought 3 air purifiers from Oreck without doing the appropriate homework (my bad). After they shipped (no charge to me), I saw an infomercial and thought uh-oh, only crappy products use that technique. So I did some research and found they are not as effective an air purifier as some others that are more affordable. So I called Oreck and explained the situation, they were quick to send me return UPS labels (again on their nickel) and after the returned product was received by them, they credited my credit card within 2 weeks. No hassle at all. You've got to respect that. Bottom line is do your research before you buy. Some complaints on this site are about the quality. If you have the technology to post here, you have the technology to research before you buy instead of giving bad press without even trying to resolve it with the company. Thumbs up for Oreck from this customer anyway.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

My folks bought this for me to help relieve my asthma in 2010. It did work at first to relieve odors and smoke that comes in thru cracks and drains in my apartment (heavy smoker lives below me); then it stopped working so well. It started to have a whining sound. I took it to an Oreck dealer and then replaced the fan inside. Well, that’s been 6 months ago and it still doesn’t clean as good as it did when I first got it. We all know the commercials on how the unit is inside a glass box, but what it doesn’t show is that when the dust is processed thru it is still in the air. If you were to look at my unit right now, why is there so much dust on this unit?

Well, this is how it operates. I am constantly cleaning the machine and dusting everyday around it. Sometimes when cleaning the Truman Cell, it doesn’t get all the dirt off the metal. I can run my finger across it after it has been sitting in Oreck air cleaner solution for a day and it’s still not clean. I am not satisfied anymore with Oreck stuff. I wish for a refund or a better product. I would not recommend any one to buy this product! It’s sad that things that work so well at first just can’t keep on working even when under warranty.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I have the Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier; the one that is the tabletop and with the blue lights. I never had a problem with this unit. After reading other customer's complaints, I cannot say that I would ever give this unit a bad rating. When it makes a "snapping" sound, it is just zapping particles to kill mold, allergens, and dust particles.

Using this has definitely reduced my need to dust, as well as reduced the smell in my house. Sometimes, I have a get together and although I don't smoke myself, I allow others to do so during the winter months when it is too cold outside. Running this takes care of the odors and leaves the house with a "clean" smell. I would recommend this product to anyone as I have never had a problem to date. Just clean the Truman cell every few weeks and you will be happy. You don't have to wait for the red light to come on. Clean it anyway and you will be happy with the amount of allergens and airborne particles (like smoke) that it takes care of.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2011

I purchased the Oreck XL Tower Air Purifier. It worked well, for a while, in removing "doggy odor" from the house. The first one stopped working after a few months and we did bring it back to the store and we received a new one which worked for about 8 months. The wires inside are now breaking and although we cleaned it, the check filter light never goes off. It makes zapping noise off and on, like it needs to be cleaned, but it is clean. It is too overpriced for quality of the machine.

Original review: July 29, 2011

I have tried several times to get answers to my problems with Oreck products. I now own 3 Oreck air purifiers, the xl is the one I have the most problems, bought it last year at Oreck store in Sarasota fountains store. I called them a numbers of times about it arcing after 5 days and have to clean it every 5 days. I trade in my old one because it needed a motor and could not get one maybe 3 weeks or more. Not to my amazement, but the other old one motor started to make a loud noise.

I went to the same store I always dealt with. To find out tops is now running it. Which I had a run in with them a few years ago about a vacuum cleaner. Another bunch of bull, they don't make any parts for the older ones anymore. Like a dummy, I bought a newer one re-man. I should have stopped before I bought the newer one. We also have a small bagless vacuum. I ask him to sell me a filter for it. Response is they are back order, don't know when they can get one, if they can get one. My point of view is, all they want to do is sell you a new one and don't or can't repair the items that they sell. They really have a way to down the customer that they are doing something wrong.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2010

I bought an Oreck sweeper in the 90s. it is still running & I gave it to one of the people that I employed. I bought one again. I have had trouble with the docking system- it disconnects from the pole after one room.

I called & wanted a replacement but I have to take it to one of their stores. They do not consider my time, gas or anything else. Either do it their way or you ate sol. I know it is a lemon because the other one is still fine.

I now have some physical problems & can not crawl around on the floor trying to fix the docking sys., as I have had a hip replacement in July. I do not feel as if I have to do what I am told by Oreck. I feel it should be replaced without question. I have a cleaning co. (ac cleaning service) & have other machines & know when one is not right. I hurt my hip & groin trying to fix it this a.m.

Original review: July 25, 2010

I bought one and got one half off, seemed to be a good deal but I have to say they really didn't work no less dust than normal. They are just fans inside of a fan,what a joke! I ran mine nonstop for a month and cleaned it and it wasn't even really dirty . My air conditioner filter was dirtier, go figure! I have one thing to say junk! I was stuck with junk! My 30 days had expired and one out of the two had just stopped working completely but I really didn't care. It didn't do 1-8th the job, Mr. ** had said anyhow.

Original review: July 19, 2010

Extremely bad customer service. I returned the product unused, unopened. It took six months to get a refund. My credit card was billed twice. It took countless hours on the phone only to reach a call center every single day. I was afraid I would never get my $600 back. The worst customer service experience I have ever had. Unbelievable.

Original review: June 9, 2010

After seeing no results (no improvement of my night-time respiratory problems and sleep, no reduction in dust, no such dirt in the Truman Cell as on the infomercial) from my Oreck XL Air Purifier, I called customer service to arrange the return. I was informed that the 30-day trial period had expired. I was told that I could take it to a local store for service. There was no answer when I called. I put it in the box and left it there until I had a mold issue.

I called customer service again and then the local store. The manager proceeded to tell me that my experience with the air purifier was my opinion, that many customers are happy with the product. He showed no concern for me as a customer but offered to give my product a "free" tuneup, while making sure that he told me the regular cost of the tuneup. He was so abrasive and unfriendly that I hung up. He would not listen to me.

I decided to call back to speak with someone else (with customer service skills). The same person answered. I asked for the manager, only to learn that he was the manager. Based on the treatment I received over the phone, I decided not to make the trip to the store. I cleaned the Truman Cell and tried it for the mold spores that were in my air after removing almost everything from the rooms and disinfecting all surfaces.I later learned that this product emits ozone which possesses a health risk. For this reason, it is rated poorly by independent companies (that are not paid by Oreck).

Economic damage: I spent money that I really could not afford to spend because of my respiratory problems and resulting sleep problems. That money could have been used for other needs.

Physical: My respiratory problems which Oreck asserted would be improved are actually worse. I now experience chest discomfort (pressure/pain), which I did not have before purchasing the product. No doubt, this is because of the ozone and the mold spores that are not being captured and destroyed as Oreck claims to be. Before, my problem was only night-time congestion. Now, upon awakening, my nose runs like a faucet. When I stay elsewhere overnight, this does not happen! I also experience mental distress as a result of my experience with this company and the loss of my hard-earned (and limited) money.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

The Truman cell has a 3 or 5-year warranty. The small wires are not covered by the warranty; they are considered expendable or consumable parts. The first time wires broke it was under warranty and two wires were replaced. The second time I had to pay for part and labor. I dropped the unit off on December 31, 2009 and picked it up the first week in January. Another wire broke on January 23. I purchased this on March 2009. It was shipped on March 20, 2009. I have not taken it to the repair shop yet. Should this be considered a defective unit? The wires break as the unit is being used. I have followed cleaning instructions. I wait 24 hours or longer for the unit to dry after cleaning to put the unit back into the tower. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a table model and I have not had this problem with it.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2009

The oreck devices are sold by television advertising alone in Australia. Kindly old Mr Oreck appears and makes several promises, including the one that the device will be delivered free of charge for appraisal. The advertisements, however a) demand about $US63 for that delivery, and b) offer no idea of what the devices cost.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2009

A couple years ago we purchased an Oreck Floor Cleaner. We were using it in our home and it caught on FIRE! We contacted Oreck and we were politely told it is out of warranty and their is nothing they could do. (It now comes with a two year warranty, instead of one, like ours. I think I know why) If I owned the company and I cared, I would be interested in WHY it caught on FIRE. I think David O would want to know. But apparently I am wrong.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2009

Purchased a Oreck Pro-Shield purifier, model AIR12B. Device arrived in a timely fashion but was non-working out of the box. Call Oreck Customer Support and went through the requested checks from the service person. I was told to send it to a service depot, at my expence, and it would be repaired. I decided that this was unwarrented and desired to have them pick up the product under the 30 day try-it or return it policy. I was then told that they would not accept a defective device and it had to be in working order before they would. What happened to the "I'll take it back for ANY reason and even pay the return shipping" speech on the commericals? Lucky that I used my credit card and the bank is with holding payment until this matter is settled. Perhaps, this is just a fluke and I am the only one with this problem. It now quitely awaits the return of the UPS girl, I am not out any money and have all the paperwork to back up my claims. If your close to an Oreck store, buy it from there and make sure it works before you take it home.

Original review: July 18, 2009

The air purifiers work great! The truman cell tech is the cell that does the work and that is the filter that never needs replacing. Unlike some other purifiers where you buy filters and replace every 3 months, the Oreck truman cell filter never needs replacing. The filter you do replace is the charcoal filter - this is only for odor absorption and not for the function of the unit. It does not affect how the Oreck air kills bacteria like a bug zapper kills bugs. So if you want an affordable product that really works, Oreck air is the way to go!

Original review: July 17, 2009

I purchased two Oreck XL tabletop air purifiers after being told by a tele sales rep that these units would remove the smell of mold from a house we just moved into. From the outset, the units did not seem to be making any difference but I gave it some time. They did give off their own bad smell and we eventually shut them off when they seemed to give my wife and son asthma/breathing difficulties. When I called to complain, I was told that I was beyond the 30-day return period. At this point, I still owed them $513 for the two units, which I told them I would not pay and that they should sent a return authorization or try to assist with getting the units to deliver on the claims that they made.

A few months later, I got a call from Anne in their collections department. After explaining my story, she eventually agreed that if I paid $400, that would suffice to completely remove the remaining balance of $113. She gave me her name and reference number which I made a note of. Almost one year later, I got a call from Alpat Company, a collections agency, telling me that I was in collections for owing Oreck the remaining $113. I disputed the claim and immediately called Oreck to dig up my record. They did not have any record of the conversation with Anne, and asked that I produce some proof. I could not remember if I had kept the invoice or where I had written down the reference number, so I asked them to give me some time to go back through my records. I also informed Alpat that I was disputing the claim, and that they should wait until I resolved this by digging up the note that I had with the reference number.

Alpat ignored this and unbeknown to me, submitted my name and this unpaid debt to the credit bureaus. I found this out via a credit checking service I use. Eventually, I found the reference number and name of the person I had made the payoff agreement with, so I called Oreck on 3.25.2009 and spoke to Lilian in customer service. I gave the reference information and was informed that she would issue the note instructing Alpat to remove my name from collections. This was expected to take 3-4 days, and one month for the credit bureaus to update.

However, Lilian did nothing, and as a result, by June, all my credit card companies began to either close accounts, reduce my available credit or increase my APR. When I called Oreck again to complain, they said it was out of their hands, and that I must negotiate this with Alpat. So, in short, they sold my debt to some uncaring company who has no scruples about destroying someone's credit. And when Oreck is confronted, they won't even take responsibility for the fact that Alpat is their agent in this.

The net cost to me is now running at thousands of dollars, given that one of my cards jumped from a 1.9% balance transfer rate, (which is only offered to people with extremely good credit, as mine was) to over 33%. Surely, when there is a genuine dispute, a company that cares about its reputation will not nuke its customers' credit score for the next seven years over a paltry $113? Not so with Oreck. They simply don't care. Apparently, there are enough unknowing fools out there for them to sell their junk to, and no one to hold them accountable. So stay away from the scam of Oreck's products with their baseless claims, and their heartless, spineless employees and agents.

Original review: July 6, 2009

I called this store for a scheduled annual tune-up after receiving a reminder in the mail. I asked if this job could be done by Friday if I brought it in today (Monday). Vicki said she could not guarantee that it would be done because she had other jobs ahead of me and that she did not know when a technician could get to it because hers quit and one had to come from Lubbock. She said I could get a loaner and pay a $100 deposit that would be refunded to me when I returned it.

I feel that this is unacceptable considering that I was told at the time I purchased this vacuum at this location that I could bring it in once a year and it would only take one day. I just think you should train your staff to be more responsible when they sell a product. Also, please give the store a call and try to schedule a repair. You will be astonished at the lack of care you receive.

Original review: June 5, 2009

Oreck products have always worked great for me. The cell on the air purifier only has to dry overnight and you can use it in warm soapy water. And the way you know it works is when you hear it arch and see it spark like a bug zapper. I don't see why people have such a hard time with the product when they're really easy to use.

Original review: May 22, 2009

I have probably one of every Oreck product that they make. I started buying their after I recieved the vacuum as a gift and fell in love with it. The only product that they make that is disappointing is the hoky sweeper. It works great on carpet but is useless on hardfloor.

The air purifiers have worked just as they should.(I maintain it according to the specified instructions.) The Orbiter is my favorite Oreck product.. and one of my favorite appliances I have ever owned.

Oreck Air Purifiers Company Information