2. Miscellaneous

3.7/5 (159 ratings)

About Mayo Clinic

The Mayo Clinic Diet is a long-term weight management plan that focuses on helping you make sustainable lifestyle changes that lead to weight loss. The plan centers around building positive, healthy habits to help with lifelong weight management. Keep reading to see if the Mayo Clinic Diet is right for you.

Mayo Clinic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

I started calling approximately 10 months ago, attempting to get an appointment to see a Gastro doc for my acid reflux. I had a procedure years ago for this same issue at Mayo Clinic, yet because I hadn't been to the Clinic in a certain number of years I was told that I am now considered a new patient. When I called last year, I was told that I needed a doctor referral even though my insurance doesn't require it. I tried to explain that there was nothing to speak to my primary care doc about, since the only treatment for my conditions is surgery and I hadn't had any surgeries, hence the problems would still exist.

I went to see my primary care doc anyway and he had minimal to say except "Yes, you should see a specialist." I called Mayo back after my doctor's office faxed over the notes from my appointment. I called back for weeks and they couldn't find the notes, hence I still could not make an appointment. About a month later I finally got someone at Mayo to remove the need for a doc referral/notes, but then was told I couldn't make an appointment because they were all booked up for months to come. They suggested I continue to call back to see if anyone had cancelled.

It's now 10 months later and they told me that the department I am trying to see is not accepting new patients. This is AFTER I waited on hold for about 30 minutes (and had been transferred 2 times). It would have been nice for any of the first two people I spoke to had known that the department wasn't accepting new patients as it could have saved me the 30 minutes and a lot of frustration.

That said, I was rightfully frustrated, and let the woman I was speaking to know that and started to explain the history of this issue. She said her notes didn't say that I needed a doctor's referral/notes. That further frustrated me because I know what I was asked to do (hence why I did it) so to try to tell me what I know to be true was not correct simply because it wasn't in her notes was ridiculous. I got more frustrated (never cursing/saying anything inappropriate) and was hung up on. Well, I think she knew I wouldn't be calling back because no way was I going to wait another 30 minutes on the phone. Absolutely atrocious, especially when someone is worried about precancer/cancer. Ten months makes a big difference. I will not be coming back to Mayo. Hello HonorHealth (who got me in within 10 min of calling)!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Couldn't even get our family member in to be seen. (Yes they were insured) -had a condition no local dr could figure out. Mayo simply said they couldn't offer an appointment to see him. But they will bring in people from outside the country by the droves and don't give on D**N about one of their own here who needs help. Completely useless. Just leaving a young person here to suffer and possibly never get the help he needs before it's too late. The idea that they get any of my tax dollars in form of grants or anything else is nauseating.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2021

I had been having a skin issue since May last year. I sought many dermatologists who gave no answers and didn’t test. It got progressively worse and went to Mayo in Wisconsin. Dr. **: HERO. He was brave enough to say “I don’t know what’s this is but let me refer you to Rochester where they have larger resources.“ Based on a few suspicious issues he lists perforated folliculitis as one possibility. I brought hair samples to Rochester because it could show if follicles were damaged. We were wondering if a salon damaged scalp by not washing product entirely out. My visit ended up in ER where I was found to have Covid.

Unknown to me they were using my hair issue to state me as “delusional?” What professional hospital doesn’t know that one can’t make that diagnosis based on never ruling out things available...as say the hair sample? What an outrage to be told I had Covid yet they were just sneaking around calling family without consent to label me Delusional Parasites as primary reason I was there? I was floored to see that diagnosis. I never had any doctors hint about that. I have learned it’s a top money maker with Medicare. Sooooo...in two weeks I return to have al this stuff checked out to get to bottom of my skin issue. Dr. ** helped to get me in sooner as my body became ridden with marks everywhere. I showed places that were obviously insect stings and lesions with nits.

At my appointment on May 25 a Mayo dermatologist took 15 minutes with me. He had seen the places where the nits were along with the stings where it looked as if it was flesh eating parasites. He did not rule that out. He never did anything but take pictures of my arms and legs ridden with marks ..eaten alive. He did a biopsy on what he choose. I had biopsies done ruing our celiac disease. He didn’t do bloodwork at all? I had post Covid issues? He was referred based on finding out my derm issue. He didn’t talk to me ever again. He ruled me "Delusional Parasites” within 48 hours. He ignored any guidelines to rule out underlying issues. One would have been my Covid... yet no bloodwork. Another would have been why I was there? Unreal. He based it on the prior Mayo visit to ER saying I was delusional. I’m a journalist and fact checker.

Since then I researched why this would be going on so much here. It’s a top money maker based on how complicated people with DP are. Yet I was never treated ...sigh. My take is its fraud across the table. I have returned home and within a month that label had me committed to psych for two days. I was found normal and guess what? I have parasites. I have had them for 7 months. My skin issue is real. I now have to begin the journey of finding out what ones in particular. We are mailing out slides to Johns Hopkins team. My disgust is unreal. There is no accountability either. I tried to get in touch with doctor to beg him to test what needed to be tested. He never talked to me once after that 15 minute “showing”. Medicare paid $7900 for that hour. It's a story I find worth investigating. The poor people who truly are DP need a voice.

The way I was treated only strong people can survive. The ones that who truly suffer take their lives, lose hope and more. I call it “The Decent into Nothingness”. This place ruined my chances to be treated. They write their stories and don’t use facts. This is not the Mayo that used to exist. Had the dermatologist not want top dollar...and actually listen to me. I would have had teams working together and Mayo would have made close to the $100,000 now paid to separate doctors. I have been to 6 places where all have confirmed the parasite issue. They have since found perforated folliculitis, election issues and more. I have Been referred to Rush: and the top dermatologist there because of how complicated my case is. Mayo did nothing. They allowed the doctor to ignore me. They are not the same.

Original review: July 12, 2021

After sending records twice and calling numerous times with lengthy wait times and transfers, I was told after approximately 3 weeks that my prostate was not Mayo (Phoenix) material. This was a huge waste of my time. I think if the reason given was that they were too busy, they could have determined that before my attempt to get an appointment. I think the real reason might be only the connected and wealthy donors get preferential treatment...or treatment at all. I consider their policy of handling new patients uncaring and disrespectful...not what I used to think Mayo was supposed to be about. Mark **

Original review: July 12, 2021

I brought my daughter to the Mayo Clinic in Florida because they advertise themselves as a comprehensive care facility. They do not participate in my insurance which is United Health Care Oxford and they charged me over 10K out of pocket not to mention air travel and hotels etc that I had to spend. There was no communication between the disciplines, no follow up and no treatment prescribed. We had to ask for certain tests etc to be done. For example the gastroenterologist told my daughter should should probably get used to being fat. The gynecologist said she does not deal with PCOS which by the way is an ovarian disease.

I would be happy to provide further details, I am an RN myself and I can say this is the worst medical care I have ever seen in every department we interacted with. They did NOTHING for my daughter. I have since brought her up to NJ to see her previous endocrinologist and she is doing better and getting better. She picked up problems in the blood work that Mayo clinic did not. I made a formal complaint to the Mayo clinic and their review is that they gave my daughter appropriate care. They did nothing. I would never recommend anyone to this despicable facility.

Original review: July 9, 2021

One here’s about how wonderful the Mayo Clinic is, however my experiences have been nothing less than desirable. If the Mayo Clinic doctors are going to provide their email addresses, then read them, correspond to them and not ignore them. If you have too many people where you can’t properly respond to email correspondence, then do not provide that way of communication, or at least have someone correspond.

I reached out to a Dr. Jeffery ** at the MN Mayo Clinic because he was highly recommended with persons having unresolved diagnosis or issues with PPPD. I was reaching out for my son. I emailed Dr. ** on 6/1/21 and have yet to get a response from anyone regarding that email. My son also did an online submitted form with the Mayo Clinic in March of 2021, with no response. After his submittal he received an email that someone would reach out to him within several days.

As of today, he has never received any correspondence at all via email or telephone contacts. He finally called them himself and got the run around about how their process even works at any of their facilities in MN, FL or AZ. If the Mayo Clinic can’t handle the amount of people traffic that are reaching out for medical help, then shut your site down or let people know they aren’t taking any more submittals. When people are reaching out for medical issues, they are reaching out for a reason. We are not reaching to get our cars fixed, we are reaching out for health reasons. Either be on top of it professionally or let people know you can’t help them…pretty simple.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I wish I could give a negative star review. I nearly moved to Rochester to live permanently near Mayo Clinic. I wish I had found this page of reviews before I began the process of trying to get urgent care for a life-threatening, rare skull-based tumor and eventually other conditions. As other complex patients who don't have top insurance have mentioned here, Mayo Clinic can be a huge waste of time and money for people in certain demographics who don't meet Mayo Clinic's financial, patient and possibly social target market expectations. Other than possible sexism with two male doctors, I can think of no other reasons for the horrible experiences with Mayo Clinic Rochester personnel than my complex health history that includes several rare and difficult to treat conditions and my Medicaid and financial situation.

Staff failed to follow up about important scheduling related changes. A serious miscommunication between Mayo Clinic personnel in different offices and also with my referring physician resulted eventually in patient abandonment with the latter. I experienced what I can only describe as fraud by a doctor who went through with a highly expensive telehealth appointment and claimed repeatedly that he made an accurate assessment of my case even though his assistant admitted that he hadn't reviewed everything and they both admitted in writing to not reviewing clear images after Mayo Clinic personnel somehow created poor scans from clear images on my discs. Both doctors were unprepared for the appointment and I was given an inaccurate diagnosis as a result. I know it's inaccurate because I had already received past accurate assessments from other separate specialists who had similar things to say about my case.

The surgeon I was supposed to speak with was also removed from the appointment slot without anyone telling me after I waited approximately two months for the appointment with both specialists, lost the referring doctor after the physician referral line refused to take his written referral and demanded a verbal one, and even even lost work to intermittent nausea from calling in almost daily to check for earlier cancellation appointments because they don't have a wait list. Many staff members were also more focused on the necessity of their own financial assistance program for my case than they were on my symptoms or urgent need for treatment.

Ultimately, after I spoke up about my concerns, the doctor who didn't fully review my scans wouldn't acknowledge the life-threatening symptoms as even possible and refused to mention those symptoms and the fact that they were previously referenced by other specialists in their clinician's note, which they also knew would place me in a situation of being unable to get the various types of help needed to move to Rochester and hit the ground running upon arrival test-wise while waiting for Medicaid approval. Otherwise, self-pay patients are expected to pay a $5,000 deposit even if they're eligible for Medicaid. The doctor acted aggressively and unprofessionally on follow ups. He also showed absolutely no care or concern that I was feeling too sick to take his call and insisted that I had to speak with him out of the blue when he called me rather than schedule a time.

I'm disgusted by the whole experience. It was a huge waste of time and money. I'll now have to waste more to find a surgical team at a different hospital system while hoping and praying that my worsening symptoms don't result in severe debilitation or death because of the delays. I'm also disgusted because all signs pointed to them taking my case and I spent a lot of time researching Rochester and local resources. Even though the doctor said they would take my case during the appointment and in their clinical note, their fraudulent behavior, the miscommunications and their not following through with addressing all of my actual symptoms and situation makes me feel like I wouldn't get the best care possible and that all of the delays and failures were done on purpose to discourage me from becoming a Mayo Clinic patient.

Original review: April 30, 2021

Trying to enter meals in the tracker is a chore because many foods are missing, have inaccurate nutrition information or use units of measure that are illogical. The site recommends a meal plan that you can choose to use. However, it will at times suggest the same foods for multiple meals in one day. Some meals suggested in the first weeks violate the goals of those weeks. Ultimately this is another 1200 (women)/1400 (men) KCal per day diet. This one emphasizes following the food pyramid and avoiding red meat and sugar. Otherwise, we've all seen this before. If you can follow it, you can lose weight. The website offered does not necessarily help you follow the plan. Personally, I do not have time to fight with the trackers and look up the correct calories and nutritional information to then feed into their system.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Would not recommend Mayo. Tests after tests and nothing found. Doctors don't get back to you. Don't suggest any help!! Appointment all messed up. You have to call them for consultation, they don't call you. Guess they need reminders!! Very poor organization!!! They don't seem to care of your life. Husband has abdominal aortic aneurysm, back problems, and other issues. But they are not concerned.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Consumer reviews filed 1/27/2021 After Dr MICHAEL ** refused treatment, and claimed no emergent findings, I was discharged and left alone to faint in Mayo ER entrance in Jacksonville FL. A Mayo security guard helped pick me up and load me into a car. Mayo allowed this Dr. to falsify records. Both witnesses and written documentation refute his statements and actions. After complaint filed with Mayo, the Mayo ED leadership backed up his lies and confirmed them with a letter. Complaint revisited. Again, He was allowed to alter my clinical notes & documents; Date/time stamps of alterations and again, he has lied. Is contact from an attorney required to get Mayo to be honest and hold their Dr's accountable? Wait list for other Dr.'s at same facility has been extended from one week, to one month to currently one+ year. I will be dropping request for other Physicians and pursuing Mayo and Mr. ** for resolution. “Do no harm” has not been enforced on any level.

Mayo Clinic Company Information