2. Health and Fitness
  3. Hospitals

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

The Mayo Clinic Diet is a long-term weight management plan that focuses on helping you make sustainable lifestyle changes that lead to weight loss. The plan centers around building positive, healthy habits to help with lifelong weight management. Keep reading to see if the Mayo Clinic Diet is right for you.

Mayo Clinic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: March 25, 2021

Would not recommend Mayo. Tests after tests and nothing found. Doctors don't get back to you. Don't suggest any help!! Appointment all messed up. You have to call them for consultation, they don't call you. Guess they need reminders!! Very poor organization!!! They don't seem to care of your life. Husband has abdominal aortic aneurysm, back problems, and other issues. But they are not concerned.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Consumer reviews filed 1/27/2021 After Dr MICHAEL ** refused treatment, and claimed no emergent findings, I was discharged and left alone to faint in Mayo ER entrance in Jacksonville FL. A Mayo security guard helped pick me up and load me into a car. Mayo allowed this Dr. to falsify records. Both witnesses and written documentation refute his statements and actions. After complaint filed with Mayo, the Mayo ED leadership backed up his lies and confirmed them with a letter. Complaint revisited. Again, He was allowed to alter my clinical notes & documents; Date/time stamps of alterations and again, he has lied. Is contact from an attorney required to get Mayo to be honest and hold their Dr's accountable? Wait list for other Dr.'s at same facility has been extended from one week, to one month to currently one+ year. I will be dropping request for other Physicians and pursuing Mayo and Mr. ** for resolution. “Do no harm” has not been enforced on any level.

Get buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I had surgery in Mankato MN through Mayo Health System/Clinic/Hospital. The ENT surgeon and his office did not file the correct paperwork for insurance purposes. A good portion of the surgery that should have been covered was not. The claim was denied by the insurance company because of incorrect paperwork. The insurance company has stated they will pay their portion with the correct paperwork. Mayo will not help. They said they would 'look into it.'

The insurance company has twice asked Mayo for the paperwork. Mayo will not respond. The ENT will not respond. The insurance company has stated that it was/is up to Mayo to retroactively file the correct paperwork. Mayo knows full well they need to get their paperwork in order before performing surgeries! I have already paid at least my portion (with the correct paperwork being filed) of the bill. Now Mayo is sending this to a collection agency.

Even the insurance company is trying to help me, but Mayo has said nothing in over a year (remember, they were supposedly 'looking into it.') I have spoken to them. Written them two letters asking for help. Now I get a letter saying I owe the full amount. How do you fight a dysfunctional and corrupt system? Somebody or department (billing?) (compliance?) at Mayo gave up on this issue and passed it along to the 'collections department.' I will not ever deal with Mayo Health System again. Unfortunately, one of my favorite doctors (unrelated to the surgery) is stuck in the Mayo System. I feel sorry for him.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Several surgeries with the same surgeon ended up in emergency surgery to correct an error on their part. The first issue came after they closed me up after laparoscopic surgery and then had to rip me open due to a tear that they caused in my intestines as the laser burned a hole in my intestine and they closed me up without noticing. I was in pain and of course, drugged up but I kept telling them that something was wrong. The bloodwork came back okay and therefore they didn't' believe me.

After doing a CT, they saw the hole in my intestine. They then rushed me to surgery and I now have a 5 inch scar on my abdomen and terrible scar tissue wrapped around my intestines and stomach. I ended up in the hospital almost a month when the original surgery would have had me home after 3-5 days. I then went back for another surgery (same surgeon) and the wound from that surgery still hasn't healed 15 mos. after my surgery. I also got C-Dif while in the hospital (Phoenix).

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I have been under the care of Mayo Clinic GI in Arizona for over 2 years for debilitating abdominal pain. After two years of testing, they have identified areas needing treatment, but keep scheduling more testing. No treatments, no opinions have been provided. Yet I suffer every day. They don't reply to messages. I recently had an escalation of symptoms, called my Family DR at Mayo, was told I could not see anyone as my symptoms were COVID suspected. Got my COVID test, was negative. Never heard back from my family. Dr. Mayo has lost my trust. They just want to do diagnostic testing forever as this is where they make money. They are all about making as much money as possible.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I traveled to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona after being referred by the Medical director of our local hospital in WA state. I have been dealing with severe, crippling, fatigue and nearly 60 pounds of unexplained weight loss in the last year, daily chronic headaches, an inability to concentrate and more. It’s been more than a year since I have been able to spend more than just a few hours out of bed in a day. We were thrilled when Mayo said they would see me. We knew of their reputation for group diagnostic determination and the ability to work with a patient to get to the bottom of often rare and difficult to diagnose conditions. I live out of state, so I had to fly in the middle of the pandemic, knowing that I was putting my own health at risk, but I was desperate for the appointment.

Looking back, I should have stayed home. I arrived eager to meet my doctor and begin the Mayo process. Unfortunately, my whole experience was over in about 20 minutes. The doctor I met with told me that she didn’t think my problem was endocrine related, although she also admitted she didn’t know what was wrong with me. Rather than referring to other doctors in the Mayo system to do further diagnostic work she said she would run some basic screens for thyroid, diabetes, and a celiac screen (which had all been done by my local doctors prior to my coming to Mayo) - as well as repeat I test I had done just a month before at home that she said was normal for cortisol function.

After that she said I could return home. All of the screens came back normal, yet I haven’t heard again from the doctor even after asking who might I see next to get the bottom of my symptoms. It turns out that Mayo is all hype - no substance. I’ve never met a doctor who was less curious than the one I was assigned, and for all that Mayo likes to brag about patients meeting with a team of physicians to get to the correct diagnosis - well, that’s just myth. Save your money. Find some place to get care where they live up to their own advertising. I for one am still quite ill with no one from Mayo helping us get to the bottom of what’s wrong.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I moved to Minnesota (MN) to go to Mayo for a rare form of blood cancer. Where I'd lived, the doctors didn't know how to help me. During the shutdown in March 2020, Mayo abandoned me and all their patients even though the MN governor said that the chronically and severely ill were to still get care (the other health systems in MN didn't do like Mayo). When Mayo reopened, I was told they wouldn't give me the care they'd promised and I would die as a result. Mayo has a reputation among the locals (laymen, doctors outside of Mayo, and gov't officials alike) as only caring about profit. Because they shutdown totally and "had to" take care of poor people with Covid-19, they lost a lot of profit for 2020. My insurance didn't pay well, so they decided to let me die.

When I complained, Mayo retaliated by permanently banning me from their clinic. So I complained to the state and was told by the MN Dept. of Health (MDH) said that Mayo's actions were "morally wrong," but legal under MN law. They can abandon patients, neglect patients even if they hurt or kill them, and ban patients permanently.

I was told by MDH that Mayo was known for turning away patients and neglecting them; especially if they had gov't insurance like Medicare. When I talked to the Office of the Commissioner of the MN Dept. of Human Services, they told me Mayo is known for arbitrarily banning patients. No one I've met in the last 11 months in MN likes Mayo and I don't blame them. I moved over 2,000 miles and spent money I didn't have for nothing. Stay away from Mayo unless you want to waste your time and money and risk death from neglect. They're horrible. Their ethics really are in the toilet (as doctors outside the Mayo health system have told me).

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I was referred to the Mayo Clinic by my health specialist in hopes to solidify a connective tissue disease diagnosis and other health problems. I was told due to the complexity of my health and how full their Jacksonville Clinic is...they wouldn't see me and my request for an appt was DENIED. So due to my case being complex (ie- I need medical help and am desperate for some answers) but this location is so busy, the Mayo Clinic won’t see me. This is crushing... and disturbing. I thought the Mayo Clinic was for cases like mine? I guess the clinic in Jacksonville only sees mild or non-complex cases. Be aware!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Mayo lost hand delivered medical records that took days to gather. Poor processes and communication to get an appointment scheduled. After a lot of time trying to get things situated, denied appointment since already established with another provider. Was encouraged to not delay care d/t cancer diagnosis but denied a Mayo appointment because receiving care elsewhere which we were encouraged to do. What about a second opinion does Mayo not understand? Many dropped calls trying to get info about missing records after waiting on hold for >20+ minutes. Very disappointing experience. Cannot imagine actually being a patient and navigating their system!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

Went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for pancreatitis. After one week, no diagnostic studies and only 3 appointments. One with the hematologist for bleeding disorder, second for a surgeon (wrong diagnosis), and third with the Gastroenterology Department. Unprofessional and unorganized. Do not recommend.

Mayo Clinic Company Information