3.9/5 (220 ratings)

About Mayo Clinic

The Mayo Clinic Diet is a long-term weight management plan that focuses on helping you make sustainable lifestyle changes that lead to weight loss. The plan centers around building positive, healthy habits to help with lifelong weight management. Keep reading to see if the Mayo Clinic Diet is right for you.

Mayo Clinic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

All I can say is the other reviews I don't understand. We've had a grandson that was here with end stage renal disease that they treated and they have been the best hospital that he could have ever gone to. I was sitting on my life's door thinking I wasn't going to make it. When I arrived here I was in really really bad shape. They did surgery on me and took care of me for a week and nurse me back to health. I couldn't have asked for a better team. They're a damn good hospital. Anyone who says different needs to be put in their place. Nothing's perfect. No matter where you go but a lot of times things are what you make them. All I can say is a surgical team that worked on me when my stomach exploded was unbelievable at fixing and they found another problem with my gallbladder. It removed that also so all I can say is I feel better than I felt it a long long time since being here for only one week.

I would highly highly recommend the Mayo Clinic because they've been nothing but good things for me since I've been here. They've done nothing but try to help me the best they can and I feel great at 55. I'm probably going to be leaving today or tomorrow. They want to get me out tomorrow but some issues came up with some equipment I need before I can go home but other than that that's the only complaint that I have which is minuscule. The nursing staff is impeccable. The doctors are remarkable and I would recommend them to anyone who has a problem.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I am giving the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville a 5 star rating because the folks that schedule appointments really go out of their way above and beyond to ‘In my case because I live so far away‘ to really try and get in as many needed appointments on that same day and get the most out of our time and long journey while I’m there. The scheduling department at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville are Awesome and great to deal with

RP

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer 2 years ago and this has devastated me and my family. My local providers recommended watchful waiting until there is distant metastatic disease. I was not satisfied with this. I wanted to be as aggressive as possible to prevent metastatic disease. A friend of mine recommended the Mayo Clinic and I have been a patient there ever since. I received aggressive treatment and I am cancer free now. I am hoping that this treatment will prevent disease reoccurrence. I am currently dealing with the expected side effects of cancer treatment and I continue to get treatment at Mayo for that. I have extremely grateful to Dr **, Dr **, Dr ** and Dr ** for the exceptional care that I received. I am confident that I am getting the best possible treatment in the world.

Original review: July 11, 2022

2021 was a tough year, I was diagnosed with a Heart disease and the Place where I was referred at first just advised me to have my affairs in order, back to my primary Cardiologist and he made some research and ended referred me to Dr.Fred ** (Mayo Clinic) in Jacksonville Florida. That doctor after review my studies interview me online and set a date for a procedure, EVERYONE since the moment we got there was A1 and the team who get you ready before surgery was the reason I went at ease to the procedure and fully confident, I'll be in GREAT HANDS. Doctor ** and Team God bless you and anyone in need for a special medical care I'll recommend go-to Mayo Clinic.. Thanks for a Second chance

Original review: Feb. 1, 2023

I've been dealing with ongoing constant headaches and wanted to come to a solution so my neurologist at USF referred me to the Mayo Clinic up in Jacksonville, FL. Going there was difficult for me seeing how it's a 3ish hour car ride but if it gave me the answers I was looking for, I'd be happy so I could be treated.

I first took the drive from Spring Hill to Jacksonville (over 3 hour drive) and went to Dr. ** and he thought I had hydrocephalus, which was worrying. I was then contacted by his office (a woman named Andrea) that I needed to go for a scan that could only be done at the Mayo Clinic. They told me that I needed to come immediately because they thought I could die. We were told that it was covered by insurance and to be there the next morning.

With traffic, it ended up being a round trip of 7 hours for a normal 15 minute scan that I could have done in my hometown of Spring Hill. After the exam, I was referred to Dr. **, who is amazing. She diagnosed me with the proper diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri and ways to work on a remedy to the situation. After seeing her, I see a massive charge for the scan I did at Mayo Clinic that day.

I called Mayo Clinic several times asking for a resolution because we were misinformed by them that: 1) I might die if I don't get the scan and 2) Insurance covered this procedure. I don't work, I can't take care of myself, and rely on family to help me due to my condition... so seeing this charge was absurd. Getting there wasn't cheap either, so not only do I get billed in full for that scan, I needed to pay for expenses to get there and back for THEIR error. I repeatedly contacted them and tried to tell them my story several times only to be ignored and referred to the credit agency that my bill was sent to.

The worst part of it all: I can't see Dr. ** to treat me because of this billing discrepancy. I've been told that unless I pay my nearly $3000 outstanding balance, I can't be an active patient there. I did nothing wrong and I'm being screwed over by a company that rather spend countless dollars on advertising telling people how great they are instead of dealing with their errors. I also loved how the Mayo Clinic was in network and was covered by insurance but was barely covered at all for visits as well (deductible was met). To the public: if you're looking for a clinic to go to, DO NOT GO HERE. I'm hoping with my public review, I can finally get some resolution with this because I've been getting the cold shoulder from the Mayo Clinic for a couple years now and I'm still desperate to see Dr. ** about my condition. Thanks.

Gordon **

Original review: Jan. 31, 2023

Dr. ** removed a p-acne-infected shoulder implant another surgeon put in. He then wrote a RX in his name for 6 weeks of IV antibiotics. He said this would take care of the infection and by this summer I would be feeling great again due to his superior surgery? Then without checking for infection before surgery he put a reverse shoulder implant back in. I was called 6 days after surgery saying I was still infected as the biopsy came back positive for p-acne or c-acne bacteria. He stated it was not his fault and he was not responsible even though he wrote the RX for antibiotic drugs. I also totally lost my anterior deltoid muscle. Again he said not his fault. Never had an issue with losing my deltoid from the first operation.

2023 UPDATE: The master surgeon who said, "Don't ask questions as you must trust your physician's every word." His special reverse prosthetic screws failed after 2 years due to his not being able to properly secure the baseplate on a even surface. Don't you have a jig for your drill so you mill a flat surface? Avoid this surgeon, he has a big ego and cannot fulfill his own expectations. Look at the photo of my failed screws. Now, I must have another surgery to fix this surgeon's mistakes. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

I never knew that a physician was able to with track their statement or follow up for examinations such as a MRI and Neurologist. How do doctors records become void? This physician TK openly acknowledged and stated that he only does what Worker’s Compensation says to do. I’ve always believed that the physician had the upper hand. When did the physician become the puppet? He lied. He’s a hypocrite and I can openly say he has abandoned his oath as a physician and is not to be trusted. The good lord sees all in the righteousness in people. My opinion I would fear for my soul. After reading the doctor's follow up review I can not believe he lied again. Do not trust.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Like a divorce, I felt free after making the decision to go somewhere else. I had been seeing a specialist for 4 years and really wanted it to work. Her nurse filed a complaint against me because of a heated phone disagreement I had with her as I tried to explain to her that the doctor told me that I could do this, but she did not want to hear it and chided and belittled me. Then she filed a complaint against me. The doctor supported her even though I was following what my doctor had told me! The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing there and with my rare disease, I was not going to stand to for this professionalism. Clearly an understaffed and overworked department proven by the fact that my portal messages were rarely answered and I was scheduled for a surgery that I did not need! Go to U of F health, way better, more professional and organized.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Entire experience was horrific. My special needs son was neglected and abused. Fell out of bed when I was out of the room. IV infiltration every day. Wouldn't feed him. Lost 12 pounds in 9 days. Wouldn't let him shower. Took forever to get clean bedding. Wouldn't address his severe anemia with an iron supplement. Waiting on levels to reach blood transfusion levels. Constantly talked down to us. Worst of all, heard staff several times refer to my severely autistic son as a waste of life and a drain on medicare. Ask a simple question about my son's meds, nurse yells at me "what do I look like, a pharmacy!!!" Son rolled over in bed, his peripheral IV came out. Nurse yells at him "You pulled your IV out!!!!" Absolutely worst place I've been in my life. Will never step foot in there. They are all about money. Google yourself, they even admit it. Disgraceful, horrific place. Steer clear!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Mayo Clinic is a fine-oiled machine. Mayo's process and systems are extraordinary and impressive. It is what led my husband and I to choose to have his surgery at Mayo over a local doctor. In hindsight, that was a mistake. We were convinced, when talking to the Mayo Clinic doctor, that an orthopedic surgeon (which he was) does the same surgery as a neurosurgeon. Maybe the same surgery, but likely not with the same attention to nerve impact. My husband now has constant neuropathy and discomfort that might not be the case if we'd gone to a neurosurgeon. For those that need back surgery, go to a neurosurgeon.

But we were dazzled by Mayo's excellent intake paperwork, appointments and phone responses -- everything that wraps around Mayo's care. Care: Although the surgery room was impressive, according to my husband, St Mary's hospital felt antiquated and the staff were not able to address my husband's needs during his recovery. One year post surgery the surgeon confirmed that the surgery had been successful and end of story. My husband's neuropathy continues. AND, post-surgery my husband's memory began to fail and has not improved significantly. There are scientific papers on inflammation of the brain post-surgeries. During follow-up conversations, those at Mayo said they had not heard of such a thing.

We returned to Mayo for Neurological testing with the hopes of having a doctor follow my husband and provide treatment. After a week of prodding and poking, the Neurologist provided us with a summary of his diagnosis. When we asked what the next steps would be with him, he looked surprised. He said he was merely there to advise, not to treat, and to return to our PCP for care. What?! Why would we go there if not for treatment? I know there are extraordinary things that come from Mayo Clinic's doctors, research and care. We unfortunately will unlikely return because of our experience there.

Mayo Clinic Company Information