3.8/5 (179 ratings)

About Mayo Clinic

The Mayo Clinic Diet is a long-term weight management plan that focuses on helping you make sustainable lifestyle changes that lead to weight loss. The plan centers around building positive, healthy habits to help with lifelong weight management. Keep reading to see if the Mayo Clinic Diet is right for you.

Mayo Clinic Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: April 27, 2022

Well, all of my previous visits were fine. I would like to 1st say that I have NEVER BEEN mistreated to this degree. My husband and I came in for Surgery in Mid March. Upon arriving at the front desk, I was threatened by the lady and older gentleman. Because I didn’t let her finished her sentence, she threatened to call security. I then asked the older gentleman what I’d done. His words were (YOU TALKED OVER HER,) while she was speaking and then did literally call security. That incident changed everything. It felt AWFUL. But then to make matters worse, the nurse came in to let my husband also PCA to leave, Also making him feel equally uncomfortable by calling security, to watch my husband walkout. It was an AWFUL AWFUL EXPERIENCE! That is now a REASON to Never visit, my now previous Surgeon! Dr. Z! He was my only reason for the visit, because of his Authentic Concern and compassion for his patients!!

Original review: April 8, 2022

Contacted Mayo Clinic about a rare medical condition. I had been warned that they did not believe in sero-negative diagnoses. Asked repeatedly if the medication that I was already on would affect THEIR test results... Don't stop the medication they said... Oh no you are fine they said.... Oh that's right the medication I AM ON WILL MASK THE SYMPTOMS. They went out of their way to say no such thing......

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2022

2/23/22 gave medical records release to required doc at Mayo Clinic (Minnesota) - their medical records dept. is closed to patients. 3/31/22 - records still not sent. HIPAA requires 30 day turnaround.

Original review: March 12, 2022

So, after 4 months of persistent testicular pain my current urologist has run out of ideas. The ultrasound, CT scan and other tests did not reveal anything. The last suggestion left was to try physical therapy which I did. Again, no improvement. Finally, I started doing my own research and discovered the micro-denervation procedure that the Mayo clinic offers. I called right away excited that this might help with the pain. I spent about a half hour on the phone relaying details of my condition with a woman who sounded very caring at first. Several times she excused herself and put me on hold. It was pretty clear that she was speaking with someone else on the side.

Finally, she returned with an apology and advice that I continue treatment with my current urologist. I said I don't understand. I repeated that they had run out of ideas and did not offer the procedure I was interested in. The woman went on to explain that they are very busy and cannot help everyone. Needless to say, I got very angry and went off on her for getting my hopes up. I sat down on the couch and cried afterward. I wasn't expecting them to get me in the next day to do the procedure. I just wanted an appointment for a consultation and couldn't even get that. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with this place. Don't know what kind of place that turns away someone in obvious pain. Oh yes, the Mayo clinic does.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Denied by Endocrinology and Internal Doctors. I Was Hoping To Get Some Help from Mayo Clinic, and, Specifically, from the DOCTORS Who Had Provided Their Consultations Prior To My Surgery. I Had An Adrenal Gland and Tumor Removal Surgery Back In 2013, and the case was so complicated that my surgeon consulted a dozen times with Mayo clinic specialists, prior to removing my adrenal gland. As of today, I’m struggling with multiple and severe endocrine and hormone issues.

My condition is an extremely rare case, and I have not been able to find a specialist who would have experience with treating post-surgery patients like me. I was hoping to get some help from Mayo Clinic, and, specifically, from the DOCTORS Who Had Provided Their Consultations Prior To My Surgery. Despite my multiple calls to Mayo Clinic (last time in January 2022) I was denied scheduling an appointment with them without any reasonable explanation. What’s more, the clinic falsely claims that somehow they already have all the recent lab test results without me sending these to them.

I explained to them that I was very much willing to wait for as long as needed – a month, a year, whatever. What’s more, the clinic falsely claims that somehow they already have all the recent lab test results without me sending these to them. The Mayo clinic denies me any help despite me being their patient in fact in the past, and despite their website stating anyone can make an appointment with them and seek their help.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I was a recent patient of Dr ** in your GI department. I’ve had appointments with her and had one scheduled. Days before my appointment with her it was canceled. I called the clinic to ask why. They told me to contact my local gi. I contact them and they say they wouldn’t know why. I messaged and called Mayo multiple times trying to figure out why. No one ever gave me an answer and rudely sent me a letter stating how I need to stop contacting them. I have never felt so humiliated before and for it to be done by a doctor's office that is to be helping me. A friend advised me she had the same issues and referred me somewhere else. I have since started going to the University of Iowa and have already been treated better and they actually understand what’s going on and don’t make me feel stupid. Y’all are supposed to be number one in the country and I will never go to your hospital or clinic again. I will let everyone know what an awful bedside manner y’all have.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2022

I was recently seen in the ER and kept overnight as an inpatient with a TIA/transient blood clot to the eye. Everyone I encountered was quite caring and pleasant. I was confident that equipment and procedures were state of the art, and every encounter with a physician has been excellent. Follow-up has been another story however. Each time I am given follow-up appointment instructions by the doctor it doesn't translate to the staff that manage check-out. After four attempts to schedule my next appointment per my doctor's instruction to me, it has yet to materialize. I know they're busy. Maybe they're trying to tell me something.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

Breast Clinic in JAX is a mess. Administration for chemo and billing is a mess. Scheduling is a mess. Lots of in-house fighting. Never encountered caretakers who care so very little. Had to go to another facility so I don't die. Neurology runs smooth and is beyond awesome, however.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

There isn't any organization on Earth with a more undeserved reputation than Mayo Clinic. I'd heard so much about how amazing they are, the place to get answers and help when no one else can. That's a lie, plain and simple. Mayo Clinic should be well known for its true colors, which is exceptional levels of rudeness, horrid non care of patients, an overwhelmed ER who not only is incapable of handling patients (socially, intellectually, medically, any manner you can think of) but refuse to do so even if they could. I half wonder if refusal to serve is a cover up for inadequacy and terrible staffing.

Mayo Clinic ER Jacksonville treated my wife's extreme pain, numbness, neck stiffness, immobility, vomiting, etc from a Lumbar Puncture like a nuisance to them. That's after we spent all day chasing down her physician through terrible customer service reps or assistants who wanted to blame her for everything. It was clear what they wanted was to make their job as easy as possible by trying to discourage care even when it's the very thing they told us to watch for and contact that immediately so that they could do a certain procedure to resolve the issue. They also gave us wrong instructions at first, then later blamed us for following the given instructions.

After over 24hrs of call after call after call we finally hear back. We're told to run to the ER, that they called down and that the ER is aware we are coming and we will get the procedure and services we need. We did exactly that, and they outright said they're not going to do that. Just downright refusal. Their nurses walked past my wife wallowing on the floor of the er, vomiting and in agony, even lost bladder control it was so bad. What did Mayo do? Scolded her like a child, told her to get off the floor and quit making a scene, and to sit in a chair despite the fact that sitting up was far worse than lying down. Then asked her if she wanted a towel or something to go dry her pants off. When she's immobile, in agony, vomiting profusely, etc.

Sure, that's why we paid you! To make her feel like she's a nuisance for complications from a procedure Mayo did, for their wrong directions, late response, and either straight up lies about what they'd do when we got to the ER or else the ER lied and said they would and then refused. There is no way to slice it. This hospital system is a total fraud. I'm going to have to call out insurance about them. She literally would have been better off to go to McDonald's for help, she'd at least be able to lie on a bench without being harassed briefly. If they didn't lie to us about how they were going to help we'd have never even gone in and had her spend 8hrs suffering abuse in public for absolutely nothing but scorn from Mayo. 100% of this place belongs in the recycle bin and permanently deleted. I see no reason for it to exist.

Maybe my insurance will consider paying the other ER patients who weren't being seen to either who helped my wife in the lobby far more than any Mayo staff did. Out of their depth, massively overinflated ego and reputation, and literally worse than any no name small town hospital I've ever been to. I can't possibly recommend avoiding them at all costs enough. If someone I could post a review that the whole world could instantly see and embrace and it was crickets and boarded up windows at Mayo tomorrow, I would do it in a heartbeat. For justice. To save lives and stop the travesty that is this place.

But let's be clear, the building isn't guilty of anything. It's their people that are rotten and worthless, under educated, woefully incapable, and with poor social adjustment. I wouldn't want them teaching my kids kindergarten. I don't think any business could ever be a larger disappointment. Congratulations, lifetime achievement award as the biggest letdown to ever exist. Seriously, close your doors. If you care for people, go drive trash trucks for a living and take your trash excuse for services and put them in that garbage where they and you all belong.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I must say I'm extremely disappointed in the Mayo Clinic's treatment of my husband. We were first informed by the Mayo Clinic that my husband had hemochromatosis which is a genetic disease which runs in his family. During his care with the Mayo Clinic he was forced to endure treatment as though he was a alcoholic even though we were social drinkers and he didn't abuse alcohol. He was required to attend 12 weeks of AA and Intensive Outpatient Therapy 3 to 4 times a week 3 to 4 hours per day for 3 months, or he would not be eligible, put on the transplant list or even considered for or a liver…even if he had a private donor. It is extremely disappointing that so much emphasis was placed on alcoholism he didn’t have.

His last visit to the Phoenix facility we were told he was extremely ill and they were going to admit him. But since they didn’t have room, they made him sit in the hospital lobby for seven plus hours. I asked if we could leave and go get breakfast and they said no. After 7 hours of sitting in the lobby he was taken to the ER. The month prior to him being admitted we were required to fill out the paperwork for DNR. They did not abide by the paperwork, instead When I arrived at the Mayo Clinic the next day they had done all sorts of things to him to try to save him even though he was a DNR. When I asked them about the DNR they were completely clueless, as though they had no record of the paperwork they required us to submit. He continued to receive medication that would not do anything to help. I requested they send a Palliative care doctor and she agreed what they were doing was unnecessary.

It's too late for My husband, he passed away. But the final topper to the experience was having his death certificate show cause of death as alcoholism. Fortunately we were able to show the Report from the Clinic regarding the hemochromatosis and they agreed to change his cause of death. After the Experience I have to give them one star for treatment he received.

Mayo Clinic Company Information