3.00/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

20 Mayo Clinic Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Beware - even if you park correctly you may find Mayo put a boot on your car while at an appointment. Then prepared to be insulted by their security. Very rude and unprofessional workers. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My complaints were disregarded for years and I had heart failure in 2016. I told my cardiologist about my chest pain directly over my heart during a previous visit and when I brought it up at the following visit, she said that I never mentioned it. The doctors here do not listen and do not care about certain patients. I am already having problems with the hernia operation performed in 2008 and I have been complaining about it for years and they ignore me. Scans have shown post operative changes. I have done some research and found out it could be something serious. They just ignore me.

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have a fairly rare disease called, Ehlers-Danlos. I have seen several Drs at the Mayo in Rochester, Mn and have always been disregarded. The treatment I received at Mayo was the poorest treatment I have ever received. There are many comorbidities to EDS. One is a blood clot in my brain, and poor spinal fluid flow. When the Mayo Drs can’t figure something out, they simply stop seeing you. I am a nurse and care for patients with MS. Every patient I have ever had that started out at the Mayo was treated poorly or misdiagnosed.

The Mayo is overrated by far. The Brothers are gone now, but they still try to ride on their coat tails. I was misdiagnosed as well. Most of these Drs are either too old and need to retire, or young and just don’t try to figure a harder case out. “Faith-Hope-Science” should NOT be their motto. If someone wants to go and see some pretty art, or have a nice lunch at Victoria’s fine. But if you want to be treated for your illness with dignity and get some answers, do not go to Mayo.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I called for an appointment for my wife who is suffering from possible Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was told there are no appointments and no waiting list. I asked when is the next available appointment and was told there are none. Really? I am a physician and I have never heard such a response. If they have no appointments then why advertise. Is she being discriminated against since she is Medicare? She has been there in the past and should be able to get in as an established patient. I am very disappointed in Mayo. I think they think too much of themselves.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Mayo is certainly in the business of making money to the point where they don't see anything wrong sending a $2,000 bill to the patient just because they used a CPT code (billing code) that is excluded under their contractual agreement with the insurance company. Let me get this straight: the insurance company did not deny the claim because the procedure was not covered, they denied the claim because Mayo used a billing code that is excluded per their contractual agreement. There is a huge distinction between a procedure and a certain billing code not be covered by your insurance company.

For the same procedure, a doctor can bill using different billing codes and for some of them the insurance company will pay more than for the others. This is where the scam with Mayo comes into play: they will always use the billing code that will bring them the highest return regardless if it’s excluded or not by your insurance company. And if your insurance company denies the claim it will be your responsibility to pay the cost. I apologize for this review to staff and doctors and other people who were nothing but great, but Mayo’s billing practice is a disgrace to their patients and the people who trust them enough to represent them professionally.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had the most pleasant experience at Mayo Clinic this morning from 6:55 to 11:50 AM. Cardiology Evaluation: Dr. Thomas ** thorough examination and follow up explanation were most impressive. I am honored to have met Dr. ** and pleased to highly recommend him. Cardiology Electrocardiogram Nurse Technician “Tammy” was most pleasant, knowledgeable, and courteous. Cardiology Echocardiogram: Nurse Technician “Jennifer,” Electrocardiogram Specialist “Jason,” and attending Cardiologist Dr. Jeffrey ** were most pleasant, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. Their professional conduct made the workout tolerable. I hope you will find this review helpful.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Be forewarned. The Mayo Clinic in Rochester and its affiliated physicians engage in balance billing. If you are not familiar with this, it means that if Mayo is out-of-network for your insurance, whatever amount that your insurance doesn't pay, or "adjusts", Mayo will bill you that amount and hold you financially responsible. I had to pay an additional $12K out of pocket.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Danielle Marie ** is a phlebotomist there that committed stolen valor against the USMC. She pretends to be a USMC veteran when she never served. The USMC hymn plays every now and then on the hospital campus while that fraud impersonates a service member.

Original review: July 2, 2017

Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is where my father was treated for throat and lung in 1955. They treated him and my mother with respect during and after treatment. I was 11 years old when my father was diagnosed with cancer - he died when I was 13. Prior to going to the Mayo Clinic he was misdiagnosed by doctors in Michigan for 2 years. My parents were told if he had come there first his chance for a full recovery would have been possible. This made quite an impression on me. I have always said that if I ever need a professional opinion from a doctor I want it to be from Mayo Clinic. I wouldn't waste my time going any place else. Their outstanding reputation speaks for itself.

As a final note, our financial situation was impacted by my father's illness. The agreement was my mother would pay each month a (low) amount. She did this faithfully for several months and when a time occurred when she knew she wouldn't be able to make a month's payment she contacted them, explained why and that she would do her best to double the due payment the following month. She received a reply stating it wouldn't be necessary because they were regarding the bill as PAID IN FULL. A well-known patient had paid the bill. There are no words to describe this generous gesture.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I have health insurance, so they billed my insurance provider. I only had to pay my co-pay. It was easy and simple. Would recommend to anyone. Facility was very clean. Staff was friendly. If there was a spill, they cleaned it up and made sure a wet floor sign is there so no one slips and falls. I received the care I needed to get better. Got my recommendations, followed through and within a couple of weeks I was feeling better! Great practice. They could have been a little faster in responding to me. It took almost a day to get my answer back from them about my initial questions.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

They were very helpful and answered any questions I had. They immediately took my insurance information and got me the coverage I deserved and needed. Everything went as planned. It was very clean and I could even see an on hand cleaning staff while I was there. So they were constantly maintaining the work place. The staff was maintaining cleanliness as well. Overall the quality of care was very good. I would take any of my family members to the hospital. Which is a difficult thing to say. Most hospitals are absolutely terrible but they were great. The response time was impeccable. They were there on a drop of a hat. Which is what I liked best. So many times you will see staff not treat your family like there and they did and the made sure you were taken care of.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

The billing was the same as any hospital or Clinic would be but they also were very much helpful in finding outside resources and outlets for financing and grants. We didnt have very much much money at the time and were helped by a non profit to take care of our medical debt. The clinic was very clean and organized. Some hospitals are busier than others and this one was on the busy end but they still managed to stay on top of keeping it sanitary and organized neatly which gave good peace of mind.

The were very attentive and caring. We have had some nightmare experiences medically and the Mayo clinic was not. There was always a nurse or doctor close by and willing to accommodate any request we had. It was appreciated. Their response time was fast and decisive. We barely could think when the emergency happened but as soon as we stepped into the clinic someone was willing and able to do a good act. We didnt think that was possible.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Pleasant, helpful and understanding. They made everything clear upfront how much everything would be and how much insurance would cover and not cover. We went during winter and one of the worst storms they had in years. We were extremely thankful for the network of underground pathways and structure so we could easily travel to all of our appointments without having to go out into the snow. There were restaurants around and we were very comfortable there. The area was clean, safe, and easy to navigate. Coming from out of town they were understanding and scheduled all testing and appointments within a day of each other, we did not have to wait long for any appointment, and all test results were ready when we saw the doctors. We received reports and answers very quickly. The doctors took their time with us and we did not feel rushed at all. They were forthright and seemed genuine and honestly cared about us.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

The billing could have been a little less. I went to the place for help. I didn't ask to be robbed but for the help that I received I couldn't ask for a better service. The place was the cleanest. I could smell the cleanliness. I could tell that I was in a nice space. I could breathe easy and it was amazing. I was taken care of great. I couldn't ask for a better staff to take care. I would go back again. My mother was taken care of great as well. The response time was amazing. If I needed help they were there within a matter of minutes. Thanks for that. I was very satisfied with the care service and response time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

The billing was cheap! I was not expecting it to be this cheap, but I am glad it was. Makes life easier to live. Especially since I am so poor that I can barely afford to breathe. It was very clean. A - Rating! You could literally eat off the floor! Anyways, I really enjoyed the clean place. I was treated like a princess, even my boyfriend would never treat me that good. It was a spoiled heaven for me and I literally wanted to cry because I knew nobody would ever treat me that good. The people treating me like a princess were faster than light, faster than fan girls when they hear their favorite actor or actress on TV.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Like any medical establishment, fees are exorbitant and charges were numerous, but I suppose that is the case because doctors are now in so much debt and machines are expensive. Very clean and sanitary environment and building was cleaned several times a day by janitorial staff. All furniture and beds were clean and sheets changed regularly. Nursing staff and medical staff are very professional and communicative, responsive to many of my questions, and took time out to assist as necessary. Hit the call button a few times and nurses did take some time to respond, however overall response was relatively decent but could have been a little better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

The customer service Representatives at Mayo Clinic are very professional and very helpful. Any questions I had on my bill they were sure to give you detailed explanation. I would recommend them to anybody. My opinion Mayo Clinic was a very good Hospital. I always have people cleaning there and anything that was spilled on the floor was clean up efficiently. I never saw anything dirty. There a lot of times at hospital the window blinds are dirty there and they were very clean there.

The care that I received at Mayo Clinic was above and beyond what I've received at any Hospital. They were very efficient to all my needs. I had no problem getting a doctor to answer any questions or if I needed an aspirin no problem getting a nurse to come right in Mayo Clinic response time with anything was astounding. If you call for a nurse within three minutes was by your bedside. If you need to speak with a doctor within 30 minutes there was one by your bed. Anybody that had major issues they had a response team right there standing by waiting.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2016

Billing wasn't crazy bad, was very expensive but service matched the price. I was billed in the mail. So I was able to not stress during my treatment. Everything was super clean and sanitary. I have no complaints on the cleanliness of the facility. The staff all looked neat and clean and professional as well. The care was superb. I was checked on every few minutes and I really didn't mind it because the staff was super nice all the time. I have no complaints. The response time was not crazy bad. Anytime I needed someone they were there within minutes to help me out. Very prompt and ready to help.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

The bill came and they were very flexible with payment dates. They totally understood our situation and tried to help us instead of just being rude and pestering. The cleanliness of the clinic was astounding. Like any hospital everything was fresh and sanitized. And they worked hard to keep it that way. They were very attentive to our needs. They having a comfortable and safe atmosphere there. If there was even the slightest problem they were on it right away. The response time was amazing. If there was a problem they wasted no time in fixing it or finding a way to make everything better. I would definitely recommend this clinic to anyone who has health problems.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

Has great billing service. It has great option to fit my situation. It was easy to talk to the person in charge of billing. It was easy to figure out the right option. I am glad that the clinic was clean. It being a clinic had me in doubt of its cleanliness but I was pleasantly surprised that it was well kept. The quality of care was great. The staff was nice and polite and was helpful when asked. I am usually hesitant to ask for help because some people's reactions aren't pleasant. The response time was appropriate depending on the situation. The staff was great at checking up on you while you wait and attending to any needs.

Mayo Clinic Company Information