2.10/5

45 Mayo Clinic Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 10, 2019

Our son is 50, has Down Syndrome, and has been attended to for an upper plate at the Mayo Prosthodontics Department for the past 10 years. His plate was made many years ago by Dr **. The plate has served him well and really gives his smile an appealing look. Due to two extractions of his remaining 3 teeth, plus the effects of time, Dr ** has been making adjustments to the inside denture material. This whole process has taken a year progressing from the temporary material to the permanent one. We can not say enough for the excellent work and treatment of these dentists plus the entire Prosthodontics Department. They have created an excellent rapport with our son. He actually doesn't mind going to the dentist!

Original review: May 9, 2019

Just weeks out from double cataract surgery with the inimitable Dr. James Garrity, M.D. (ophthalmology): Went from extremely nearsighted (for 50+ years) to visual acuity of 20/15 - with distance vision IOL (intraocular lens) implants that provide exceptional clarity from computer to horizon. I do have post-surgery glasses with clear lenses atop a reading power, for occasional use (only for extremely close reading purposes).

Dr. Garrity and staff (notably, Ms. Cheryl **, C.O.A) were exceptionally personable, informative, empathetic, and responsive to all my many inquiries (both pre- and post-op)... and both surgeries were expedient, painless, and thoughtfully administered with the utmost care and consideration. I have had multiple surgeries at the Mayo over the years - spinal, cancer, urological, and now ophthalmological - and have never failed to received the quintessential patient consideration and outcomes: Dr. Garrity continues to uphold and exemplify that stellar standard!

Get expert buying tips about Hospitals delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I had the most pleasant experience at Mayo Clinic this morning from 6:55 to 11:50 AM. Cardiology Evaluation: Dr. Thomas ** thorough examination and follow up explanation were most impressive. I am honored to have met Dr. ** and pleased to highly recommend him. Cardiology Electrocardiogram Nurse Technician “Tammy” was most pleasant, knowledgeable, and courteous. Cardiology Echocardiogram: Nurse Technician “Jennifer,” Electrocardiogram Specialist “Jason,” and attending Cardiologist Dr. Jeffrey ** were most pleasant, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful. Their professional conduct made the workout tolerable. I hope you will find this review helpful.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I even don't know how to start. I will make it short. In general, you can walk to Mayo for a cold and end up getting tested for 100 things being bumped from one doctor to another. Most of the doctors they have are foreign graduates who has a very questionable understanding of the side effects of the horrible medication they prescribe.

I was a patient at nephrology for 4 years and the medication they were prescribing me were so bad for kidneys. Some of the medications were used off FDA label (legally they could). Any time you question the foreign trained parrots they would just tell you "the benefits outweigh the risks of the meds"; probably as instructed by their big doctor. If not for ** Mayo nephrology department will go out of business. The meds I was given were so potent they were impossible to stop. I came to a point that I was convinced that I am sick from my medication. Not from a disease. When I looked at my labs on arriving to Mayo, they were fine. Then I realized with time, with each test, each medication, the side effects were mounting from from simple immune symptoms to full blown lupus like symptoms.

I finally chose death over seeing a doctor in Mayo. I read pharmacology of all meds and slowly cutdown almost all except for the blood pressure med. It has been almost two years; my ** battered body has almost recovered and slowly have begun to enjoy life. My family was with me the whole time and I am eternally grateful for them. Time to time I dream the crazy town called Mayo.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL is nothing like Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. From very basic medical treatment (incorrectly administered vaccine), to infection, to misdiagnosis, to botched surgery, Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL is not only unethical, it is dangerous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayo Clinic?

Original review: July 10, 2019

After having surgery to remove melanoma from my right leg in Atlanta, GA I developed lymphedema. This is swelling in my leg that causes pain and cellulitis infections. The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville has one of the very few micro surgeons in the country who perform the microsurgery to repair the damage. I traveled from Atlanta to Jacksonville after waiting 4 months for the appointment. The surgeon was an hour late and spent 5 minutes with me. He took 10 seconds to look at the 2 inches of documents I had been collecting for the nearly 2 years since my cancer surgery. The only thing he noticed was an article about another micro surgeon in Iowa. He said if it didn't work out for me at the Mayo Clinic he would highly recommend the other surgeon. He said I would need to have testing done but it couldn't be done while I was already there. I would have to travel back there again. He said it could all be done in one day but it would take all day.

I expected to pay my specialist co-pay when I was there but they said I didn't need to. I received a letter from them nearly 2 weeks later telling me that I was scheduled for 2 days worth of testing and that some of the tests I "might" be put to sleep for so I would need someone with me or they wouldn't be able to do them. No one called to schedule these tests and ask if the dates would work for me or if I could have someone else travel there with me for the tests. I had already spoken to the surgeon in Iowa and had decided to go with him. So I went into their portal and cancelled all the tests and send a message to the surgeon that I had taken his advice and selected the other surgeon. A week later I got an e-mail that there was a message in their portal for me. It was an invoice for $436 for a 5 min office visit and the doctor never even touched me.

I went into my insurance company portal and found the claim and it said that the Mayo Clinic is out of network and that I owed $90 and change and this would be applied to my out of network deductible. It indicated that they had to discount the rest as it was out of line for the service performed and went on to say that in Florida there is a statute that says they cannot balance bill for what insurance won't cover. So I went into Mayo's portal and paid the $90 and change and then sent a message stating why and what I paid. They responded a couple days later that they aren't under contract with my insurance company so they don't have to do what they "suggest" and I need to pay the balance.

I contacted my case manager at my insurance company and she forwarded my issue to a new department set up to handle this exact issue. Someone called me from that department and I explained my issue and she again said that they can't balance bill due to the statute in Florida. She said she would get in touch with the hospital and get back to me. She did both and the person she spoke to said that she was aware of the statute and the balance bill was in error and would be credited. I waited several days and checked the portal again and it still said I owed it. I sent another message and the next day (today) I got another response stating they don't have to do what my insurance company says and I need to pay it.

My insurance company has called them again and was told that they are slow and it should be resolved in another week or so. They aren't slow sending me this bills. I am glad I opted to go somewhere else for my surgery. I can't imagine what a pain this would be if it's been this difficult handling an office visit invoice. And $436 is extremely high for any office visit but certainly for one at a "non profit".

Original review: July 2, 2019

When I arrived at Mayo Clinic, I felt hopeful. It stood as my last beacon of hope. Left Ventricular Block. Anemia. Bruising all over body. Hyper Tapeworm infection in the skin. The Nurse was amazing. The Internist was amazing. I was very embarrassed by the infectious disease in my body, and what it had done to it. She put me at ease as I laid in the hospital bed in nothing but a gown, completely vulnerable. She told me to lay down and relax while I wait for the attending because they are here to help. He stormed in. He accused me of having poor hygiene (laughing and mocking me after briefly glancing at my badly Norwegian-Scabies-Infested feet. He told me they were not going to treat me that day. He said "We will not be performing any kind of tests or biopsies on you."

I felt absolutely defeated, humiliated and started to cry. He did not flinch as he turned around and stormed out of the room. Did the laws change? Is it legal to do this, before confirming a patient's condition is stable? How do they get away with calling themselves a charitable organization if they discriminate against Medicaid/Medicare insurance carriers? "Do no harm." How can you call yourself a doctor?! You are an Evil little man who has not heard the last from me. Guaranteed.

Original review: July 1, 2019

The Mayo Clinic's website is a cesspool of biased and incorrect information so bad that it amounts to medical industry propaganda. They are a mouthpiece for big pharma and spread nothing but negative and often false information about all forms of alternative medicine. This is extremely troubling because proponents of alternative medicine also spread terribly biased misinfo that is positive about these same products and practices which puts your average person in a real bind when trying to make life altering decisions. There is almost no one out there giving it to them straight and with how big the Mayo Clinic is this is incredibly irresponsible, dangerous and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Referred to Mayo Clinic by my PCP and a Rheumatologist. My health has been getting progressively worse over the last 15 years to include pulmonary disease, SOB, abnormal EKG's & stress tests, chronic sinus infections, joint pain, muscle weakness and neuropathy (confirmed by EMG's), facial pain with swelling, intermittent rashes and eosinophilia. The doctors I had been seeing at home were all stumped as to what was going on and why I wasn't responding well to medical interventions. I had abnormal test results, chronic malaise, high eosinophil counts in blood and tissue samples (severe EOE), normal cardiac catheterizations, negative allergy tests (both blood and skin), and two positive methacholine challenges (but always have clear lungs on auscultation).

Arrived for a week long battery of tests and meetings with multiple doctors in the specialties of Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, Pulmonology, GI, Dermatology and Allergy. Internal Medicine did the coordination with the other specialties after a thorough history and physical. Test were completed to include labs, chest and abdominal X-rays, echo, methacholine challenge, pulmonary function test (PFT), EMG, EEG, visual and coordination tests, skin biopsies, and allergy testing. My past medical records indicated severe reaction with one of my methacholine challenges at the highest level 5/5 (which required hospitalization).

Medical records supplied to Mayo confirmed all the before stated medical complaints and test results by multiple specialist in my hometown area. Prior to Mayo, I was referred to a Rheumatologist at the Froedtert and Medical College in Milwaukee, WI. This Rheumatologist conducted a H&P, looked at my past medical records and had me complete labs and an EMG. The Rheumatologist stated he wanted to diagnose me with Churg-Strauss Syndrome, but the EMG test of my legs didn't indicate much vasculitis. There are 6 criteria for Churg-Strauss. A positive diagnosis is made when a patient has 4 or more of the 6 criteria. I had 4 without the EMG, but the Rheumatologist was reluctant to make a final diagnosis as he stated he didn't want to treat it incorrectly if it was Churg-Strauss, or make me worse if it wasn't. Thus the referral to Mayo.

Mayo reviewed my medical documentation and records, conducted their own battery of tests and had me complete consultations with their specialists. After all consultations and tests, to include a brief EMG, short PFT, and a methacholine challenge stopped at 3/5 I was sent back to the Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Doctors for the finalization of my results. I was informed that I have no pulmonary disease or other signs or symptoms of the past history of medical complaints and was told to stop all but my cardiac medications. The final diagnosis by Mayo was Somatization.

Nine Months later I ended up in the hospital with cardiac, neuro, and pulmonary issues and was diagnosed with Churg-Strauss Syndrome. Was started on Chemotherapy and immunosuppressants that same day. Within 1 month I was doing better and a lot of my past symptoms were improving. Unfortunately, I now have permanent nerve damage of my left arm and hand, and progressive sensory and motor neuro damage to rest of my appendages. The interesting part of the whole Mayo experience was that the doctors thought I was making it all up (somatization) and that I couldn't possibly have Churg-Strauss Syndrome (and I quote) because "I didn't look sick enough".

Original review: June 9, 2019

Went up there for treatment for my Dysautonomia, that has been diagnosed at Stanford, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, and the Medical College of Wisconsin but treated unsuccessfully. My diagnoses, symptoms, and current state of health were attributed to “somatic delusions” and I was locked on a psych ward for weeks. I nearly died while there.

Don’t let the name fool you. Either you get the care you need, to live a healthy life, or you don’t. In my case, no one went over my records and I was labeled a mental defective. Highly inappropriate and abusive. I have had numerous attempts at treatment here and it always ends the same way. Lack of compassion, lack of understanding, and a brush off from arrogant doctors. Pathetic waste of my time and money. They sure do hound you for collections though!

Original review: May 28, 2019

Was ecstatic to get an appointment with Mayo Cardio. Was 4 mos away & hopeful despite waiting a yr to get appointment in Mayo Phoenix - Dr. ** & team. NO TEAM JUST "** & **". Prior to visit staff great. Saw Dr. **, IMO was brutal - did not read my history - rude, arrogant. Mayo Cardio stinks.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I am a complicated case, however that is specifically why I sought out the Mayo Clinic. They were very difficult to get into, their facilities were very nice, although they charge 15% more than insurance allows, but I was fine with that if I would have gotten answers. I had good doctors in gastroenterology and urology, but unfortunately was treated without respect, compassion, or care and as a burden in neurology and hematology. I received no communication at all, or was lied to in order to cover up ignorance. This is shameful when people are desperate and are seeking help. These doctors were only experts in arrogance. I have no problem with a doctor not knowing an answer, they are practicing medicine, but being cocky or making stuff up, or brushing you off, or in a difficult case never responding does not serve anyone. Beware!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

If it was one doctor I wouldn’t waste my time reviewing but this was 3 out of 4 doctors that we saw. We had an ENT stand between us and our son to do a throat exam. He could have stood in front of my son to do the exam. He didn’t want us to see that we were right about our son not having a gag reflex. He pushed the qtip in so hard that my son had to grab the trash can. Clearly uncalled for. Immunologist ran tests and then left town without telling us that was her plan. My sons labs are way off but they keep saying it’s borderline low. Our doctors at home and at Children’s hospital here have been wonderful. I wish we would have never wasted our time with Mayo!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I've lived with facial pain for five years. Finally after trying many other health care providers I made an appt at the Rochester Mayo. I was told to send records 3 weeks early. I was told I’d see Dr ** In Neurology. When meeting with Dr ** he opened the packet of records I’d sent and asked me “what’s the problem?” He then examined me for five minutes. And checked my reflexes. Then told me I was in the wrong department and needed to see Dr ** in the Dental department. Because I already had a hotel room I was told I could hang out to see if Dr ** had an opening. He did not but Dr ** did call me at home for a telephone interview. Then Dr ** told me he would review my records and do everything he could to help me. I then received a letter declining services.

When I called the Mayo they said Dr ** had a preliminary diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia. I do not think it’s very professional to come up with a diagnosis without seeing a patient personally. The reason I went to the Mayo is for treatment that others could not provide. Not for Dr ** to read what others have written and then make a telephone diagnosis.

The way I was treated was very unprofessional and uncaring. Oh and if I do have Trigeminal neuralgia.... then I was in the right department with Dr **. After pleading and begging for an appointment at the Mayo I was finally told that if I didn’t cease to call and email that the Mayo would take steps to stop me. I’m fairly sure this means that they will file for a protection order of some kind. Very nice. Thank you Mayo.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My Experience was very similar to B. of MN. I was asked to send in reports and get a doctor’s referral to the Mayo clinic in Rochester. I called after about a week and was told they needed more reports??? And that they needed the doctor’s referral. (which my doctor had already called in.) They lost it and the reports I sent. My doctors here went to a lot of trouble to send those reports and I had to ask them twice!!! After about my fourth conversation with the dermatology advocate I was given, he finally informed me that I was looking at August as an appointment time... It was the end of April! I called the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, and I was given an appointment Within a week or two. They didn’t ask for all the reports/referrals that Minnesota did. What a difference in clinics! If you get no satisfaction in MN., try Jacksonville.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I requested an appointment to review an autoimmune diagnosis. I was given a MR number and access to the patient portal and told all messages would be posted on the portal. I was also told I needed a referral. My primary Dr sent the referral and all documents requested. Over a week later I called Mayo for an update. I was told my referral was being reviewed. Another week passed I called Mayo again for an update. I was told I first needed to be seen by General Internal Medicine and my Dr needed to send another referral for that clinic! At no time was I contacted and no messages were posted in my patient portal. I asked why was I not contacted or notified of these requests? I was told they were busy and behind with sending messages. My Dr sent another referral for Internal Medicine. After another week I called Mayo again and was told my records were still being reviewed.

Several days later my Dr informed me that Mayo sent notification stating that they had nothing to add and I didn't need to be seen there. I later learned that Mayo announced that they have basically stopped taking Medicare patients, and that private pay patients are now their preference and priority! Since I have Medicare I assume that was the deciding factor as to not see me. So Mayo has joined the ranks with others who cherry pick and select patients based on the their insurance.

Now Mayo, a so called world renowned leader in state of the art healthcare innovations and unsurpassed quality, has fallen from grace into the snare of greed and profit..The mission and vision apparently has been modified to state All are welcome with the right type of insurance. Government health insurance plans not accepted at most locations. Once again another historical benevolent organization falls to the pressure of the almighty dollar. Your payment source now dictates and determines your eligibility to be seen at Mayo not your health care needs!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Yes I went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota, eight months into my Lyme disease sickness. After they had booked out three days for me, with a stay in their complimentary hotel room connected to the hospital. They did about two days worth of testing. They saw that I had low cd56 and low cd57. I'm not sure what other results they found, but every time I mentioned Lyme disease and how I pulled three ticks off of me people were silent. They Strip Me Down naked and told me that this somehow was beneficial to testing, and I was screaming at them how horrific this place was and that that's not how you fix Lyme disease.

They put me through a two-hour psych evaluation, and told me that I was mentally sound and that there was nothing wrong with my mind. It wasn't deteriorating due to Lyme disease in my brain, like I had claimed. They did nothing for my racing heart, I was having severe Panic anxiety that doesn't stop because my mind had been stuck in fight-or-flight-mode and my heart was acting like it was having Lyme carditis type issues. Another doctor approached me and told me that I walked with a gait because... quote unquote "thats just the way God Made Me".

I've never been more insulted and offended in my life the way these people treated me and talk down to me. And lastly I was told that "we don't treat Lyme disease here at Mayo Clinic." And then they sent me home with no answers, and they didn't even start me on my first round of antibiotics. Even though a clinical diagnosis would have been good enough for my first round. Hospitals were more concerned about passing a blood test before they handle antibiotics which in my opinion is very dangerous to play with people's lives like that. So good luck with your visit to Mayo Clinic! I think they're a bunch of ** there, that's my personal opinion. You can tell them all I said so!

My first 8 months of being ill with Lyme and co-infections, I had severe vertigo and I lost my ability to walk. Had to buy myself a wheelchair. I couldn't eat any food... Every time I would ingest food I would instantly vomit it back up. I had a fever that never went away and I would sweat pools of sweat. I would wake up drenched, I never stop sweating. I was sleeping on ice packs because of encephalitis/meningitis in my head located around my cerebellum, the ice packs were the only thing that would numb the burning pain from inflammation. My brain was on fire for eight months. I was in excruciating pain and I was ready to blow my brains out, pain so severe that death seemed like the only logical answer to end the crippling pain and suffering.

Nobody Knows the hell I went through. I know I was sick with more than just Lyme but they refused to test me for other co-infections such as Babesia and Bartonella. It's very sickening that I live in a world that would allow me to just die because they'd rather neglect me than to give me a ** antibiotic to save my life. And if I could sue each and every doctor I've encountered along this horrendous Journey I would. And that is why I have so much spite left inside of me because of how I was done wrong by the medical community. And I will not sleep until Justice is served!

And that is why I advocate so hard for Lyme disease, for the people that are too ill to have a voice. This is why a clinical diagnosis is so important, based on the information I gave them they should have easily been able to treat me with the round of antibiotics. The longer you let Lyme go untreated it will go to your brain and your heart and it will kill you. It's a disgusting medical system we have. Shame on you Mayo Clinic, I would give you zero Stars if I could.

Original review: April 12, 2019

How do you spell USELESS; its PA Alisia in the Ortho Department at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Don't go to the Mayo Clinic with any broken bones or you may end up with this useless person. Terrible experience!!! Has no idea what she is doing; doesn't know answers to basic questions. Keep away from her and the Mayo Clinic. Being a Canadian, I heard such great things about the "Mayo Clinic" but it is sub par based on my experience.

Original review: April 9, 2019

As a current patient of a neurosurgeon, I called and tried to make an appointment to see him again for a follow-up appointment after a lumbar fusion operation five years ago (which he had requested that I do). I spent 45 minutes talking to 4 different people on the phone trying to make an appointment, and they were unable to accomplish that simple task. All I got was obfuscation, delay, and excuses, with absolutely nothing accomplished! Mayo Clinic used to be good at coordinating multiple appts. for out-of-state patients, but not anymore! Instead, they've become incredibly incompetent. Take your business elsewhere, unless you enjoy frustration and having your time wasted.

Original review: March 28, 2019

We were so grateful to get in to Mayo Clinic after our daughter had experienced burning chronic facial pain for months. We thought we understood (and from the misleading website) that tests were performed quickly upon initial check-in and a possible diagnosis and treatment quicker than most medical professionals. Our sweet church family put up the money so we could travel and get the best care possible. After an 11 hour trip from the Memphis area this was the process timeline: March 21--consult with Dr. Doctor informs that he is leaving town but schedules 3 tests that have already been performed in hometown (results were sent to Mayo for him to see). March 22--Husband tries to talk to someone about switching doctors since ours would not be available until April 1 March 26--3 tests performed (MRI MRV Lumbar Puncture).

A colleague doctor read us results but was not allowed to give us any advice other than JUST to read the results of cleared test scans; recommends blood pressure to be checked by a hometown care provider. Then we are told that NOTHING else can be done until we are able to talk to our doctor on April 1. We could E-mail him on Patient Portal but there was no guarantee that he would ever see it. At this point I am realizing that there is NO team of doctors that gives second and third opinions like the website says. Please don't be mislead by that information.

The sweet female doctor does show mercy and calls us later to set up an appt for blood pressure issue and pain management. HOWEVER, the pain management appointment is not until April 19!! Then I started e-mailing and handwriting letters to speed up the process and get answers. No return messages yet. March 27--We plead and tell our situation to the receptionist at Pain Management. She was great and arranged for a doctor to "give wiggle room" for a consult on the pain on April 2 (and possibly---but no guarantees on treatment that day). She also said that so many are out of town and they are short-staffed this week. We decided then that we should have NEVER come, but now we are in too deep. Now our trip will exceed two weeks, resulting in extra travel expenses and frustration over the lack of urgency. We also realize that we are yet a small gnat in the large numbers of people needing assistance.

I write this to encourage anyone to FIRST seek medical attention at a large city close to you. DON"T expect Mayo Clinic to be a miracle hope-giving medical institution. It may not be that for you. My expectations were high and now I am on the phone trying to set things up in Memphis and feeling sad about the money and time wasted here. On a positive note: Rochester is a beautiful city!!

Original review: March 27, 2019

When you scheduled a appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota they want you to plan to be there 5-7 business days. I planned on 7 business days. The day of my appointment the neurologist Dr. ** was going out of town and wasn't going to be back for the remainder of the 7 business days they require for you to be there. I seen him the first day and still waiting for him to send my work to my neurologist in Oklahoma the results but he won't be back til April 1st and I am off work. This tells me that they get people there to spend money in the high district that the Mayo Clinic is in, taxes are high in this area.

Dr. ** sent me to the complaint center and all they wanted to do was try to throw cafeteria vouchers at you is not what I was looking for. I was looking for a answer and never got one. Probably never will. Ryan **.... Everything in the downtown Mayo district area is very expensive, Mayo Clinic I believe are interested in helping people, but are also just as interested as helping the city of Rochester!!!!

Original review: March 10, 2019

My Husband has been ill for 2 years and has been through tons of testing with our local doctors. With no end in sight and no answers we decided, upon recommendation of our primary care physician, to call Mayo for an appointment. After all of the nonsense that we had to go through to get to appointment scheduling, they were to call us back within 5 business days to schedule. On the 6th day we called them! Our answer was that he didn't meet their criteria and they would NOT be able to see him!!!

Original review: March 3, 2019

Overall care is ineffective. They'll do whatever they can to get you back into the appointment chair as much as possible so they can have your money, but don't expect any helpful results, and do expect to be treated as a drug seeker from the beginning. On a more specific note: I had a minor surgery involving an punch biopsy scheduled. In the procedural room, the doctor came in accompanied by a young female. The doctor introduced himself but never the female, and she ended up being the one who performed the procedure (without my permission).

Upon later review of my procedural notes, I saw that they had stated that all people involved in the procedure had been introduced to the patient (me) by name and title. This was directly a lie, as that female was not introduced to me and for all I knew, could have been someone they found on the street and put in a lab coat. I would not have agreed to her performing the procedure if I had been asked, but I was never asked. Of course my chart says the opposite. Mayo is a learning hospital so DO NOT expect quality in your surgeries/Procedures and do not expect them to be honest with you in person or on paperwork.

Of course I was immediately concerned about my sutures from this procedure not healing correctly, so I made an appointment to see a doctor right away the next day. After being seen I was told that everything was fine and not to worry. I was more of the opinion that subdermal sutures should have been applied, but since I'm only the patient, my opinion didn't matter.

To nobody's surprise, when I had a doctor remove the sutures a full 10 days later my wound came gaping back open as if nothing had healed at all. It was so deep that simple surface stitches weren't holding the wound together enough for it to start healing (that's what subdermal sutures are for, but again, as a patient my opinion didn't matter). They put steri-strips over it and told me to let it be. It took over a month (supposed to be 7-10 days) to 'heal,' and when I say heal I mean that I now have a large permanent hole punch of scar tissue in my arm that is not only noticeable and ugly, but also uncomfortable and an even bigger threat of skin cancer now than it was in the first place. This causes me daily anxiety and I'm afraid to wear most of my clothes now because of the appearance of my arm. All in all it was a total failure.

When I complained they said they would 'look into it' but later told me that they had done everything to standard and that they wouldn't be doing anything about it. They made no mention of any of my concerns about not being properly informed, etc. as though they weren't even listening when I filed the complaint. This is only one of several examples I have of Mayo's poor service, and I only doctored there for less than 2 years. My life is quantifiably worse for ever having gone to Mayo and I would highly discourage anyone from making the same mistake that I did. Save yourself the time, money, heartache, and frustration, and just go somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I have been having annual Wellness visits at Mayo since becoming eligible for Medicare. Mayo Clinic's scheduling always called me to schedule my wellness visit. This is composed of 2 appointments; 1) for labs and a nurse reviews my meds., profile, checks my balance, and questions for one's mental status and 2) a subsequent visit with my doctor for brief exam, lab review, concerns and a personalized plan of service, as needed. Medicare has always covered my annual wellness visits at Mayo Clinic.

In November 2018 I received my call to scheduling my annual Medicare Wellness visit; and the 2 appts. were scheduled. Later my visit with the Doctor was denied by Medicare. Needless to say I was surprised by this. Upon inquiry to the billing/claims dept; I was informed that my visit with the nurse was the wellness visit, that Doctor visit was not covered. I mentioned that I had no exam, no PPS or discussion of needs or findings were discussed. Additionally I added that I had not received any advance Beneficiary Notice for this appointment, and that Medicare annual Wellness visit specifically states I would get a PPS when meeting with the doctor. Mayo response, "You have to pay for the bill."

The only thing that I can see has changed is the fact that I now have to pay for a wellness visit with my doctor that has always been covered in the past. I am rethinking any further Wellness visits with Mayo in the future. For those patients who trust Mayo to provide accurate billing, they should look closer as to what is really due and payable. Errors are always in favor of Mayo.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was in a clinical trial for a cancer drug for a month. Between the pre-trial tests and last tests for a bad reaction I owed money for the tests and labs. Medicare said they could not pay as billed because not all the tests were standard. There is definitely a trick they use in billing so Medicare denies the charge. I complained to my Mayo doctor and some charges were reversed but there was no way to talk to anyone in billing. "Call back later" was the usual recording. Typing them a complaint evokes an inadequate response with "no reply" allowed. The transportation there and hotel room is already a burden. They threaten "future action" after 4 months. The care at the Clinic is great but I would never do another trial there. I don't think Clinical Trials should make money off the volunteers. It's too bad the billing department is going to ruin the reputation. I brought my husband there 10 years ago and was in awe of the care and PRICE. No problems then with billing.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I am handicapped and in a wheelchair. I live about 25 miles from the Rochester Mayo Clinic and it takes considerable effort and expense to travel there. I had previous problems with another oral surgeon which left me with a constant, pounding pain in my tooth/jaw for over two months. First, the only appointment available was six weeks out. I took it because I didn't know what else to do. I got myself dressed, scheduled special wheelchair transportation and insured I got to Mayo well before my 1:30pm appointment time. I was taken back to a room fairly on time (unusual for Mayo) and then sat in the room until 3:45 at which time I left because my transportation - the last ride for the day - was coming at 4pm. NEVER SAW THE DENTIST!!! But Mayo was quick to send me a bill for over $1,800.00. Yah, right!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Beware - even if you park correctly you may find Mayo put a boot on your car while at an appointment. Then prepared to be insulted by their security. Very rude and unprofessional workers. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My complaints were disregarded for years and I had heart failure in 2016. I told my cardiologist about my chest pain directly over my heart during a previous visit and when I brought it up at the following visit, she said that I never mentioned it. The doctors here do not listen and do not care about certain patients. I am already having problems with the hernia operation performed in 2008 and I have been complaining about it for years and they ignore me. Scans have shown post operative changes. I have done some research and found out it could be something serious. They just ignore me.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I have a fairly rare disease called, Ehlers-Danlos. I have seen several Drs at the Mayo in Rochester, Mn and have always been disregarded. The treatment I received at Mayo was the poorest treatment I have ever received. There are many comorbidities to EDS. One is a blood clot in my brain, and poor spinal fluid flow. When the Mayo Drs can’t figure something out, they simply stop seeing you. I am a nurse and care for patients with MS. Every patient I have ever had that started out at the Mayo was treated poorly or misdiagnosed.

The Mayo is overrated by far. The Brothers are gone now, but they still try to ride on their coat tails. I was misdiagnosed as well. Most of these Drs are either too old and need to retire, or young and just don’t try to figure a harder case out. “Faith-Hope-Science” should NOT be their motto. If someone wants to go and see some pretty art, or have a nice lunch at Victoria’s fine. But if you want to be treated for your illness with dignity and get some answers, do not go to Mayo.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I called for an appointment for my wife who is suffering from possible Trigeminal Neuralgia. I was told there are no appointments and no waiting list. I asked when is the next available appointment and was told there are none. Really? I am a physician and I have never heard such a response. If they have no appointments then why advertise. Is she being discriminated against since she is Medicare? She has been there in the past and should be able to get in as an established patient. I am very disappointed in Mayo. I think they think too much of themselves.

Mayo Clinic Company Information