4.3/5 (127 ratings)

About Eargo

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. Eargo brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Pros

• Licensed, professional support
  • May be covered by federal benefits
  • Nearly invisible
  • Rechargeable hearing aids

Cons

• Not for profound hearing loss

Bottom Line

Eargo sells four hearing aid models with an open-fit, breathable design. While not appropriate for those with profound hearing impairment, Eargo provides quality devices for mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss.

Eargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The Eargo reps were fine. However, we were trying to send them back because he said they weren't helping him. There was no way that he could increase the volume. We looked at the video. We also went through the instructions. He's just not a good fit for them. His mother-in-law has one and they can adjust the volume. He was supposed to tap on them. He tapped on them, but they didn't increase. So, he just got discouraged.

Eargo response

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve your hearing by giving Eargo a try. We're sorry if Eargo has not worked out for your husband, but we appreciate you still taking the time to write about your experience with our support and product. If assistance with anything is needed, our Client Care team is always happy to help! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

I used Eargo's customer service once when I questioned the fact that I couldn't purchase the sound caps on the back when you need to change them every so often. There was nowhere to buy them on the website. They said they were gonna do that and put the caps on their website for sale. I like the hearing aids because they're small and out of sight when you got them in your ear. You can use your smartphone to do all your adjustments on it, so it makes a difference. However, I don't wear my hearing aids every day 'cause a lot of times when I'm working on the yard and using machinery, it's not good for all that noise to have the hearing aids in.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I bought a pair of Eargo 5 hearing aids and they are very weak so I returned them for a refund! Eargo said their warehouse never received them! It took them 3 weeks to tell me that! I don't think they know what happened to them! They told me I was not going to get a refund! They should insure something so expensive! I am out 2775.00. l am going to have to take them to court! I was told these hearing aids are 6 dollars from China! Please don't waste your money! You have been warned! Don't try to get a refund because they do not give refunds!!! Terry **

Eargo response

Hello Terry. As you know, we have made every effort to attempt to locate your system. Our warehouse has not received a return with a serial number that matches yours, and the tracking number we provided to you has not been activated since it was issued.

In order to issue a return for an Eargo purchase, we must receive the physical product in return. At a minimum we would need a tracking number to be able to show that your product was in transit to be returned to us to deem it lost and proceed with a refund.

We recommend inquiring with your local USPS office where you dropped off your package. If they are able to locate your package and ship it back to us, please contact us with the tracking information and we will happily proceed with processing your refund outside of our return period.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Eargo is a great product, and the quality is real good.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this positive review. We're so happy that you're happy with our product. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I bought these last March. When driving the car with the windows partially open, they change programs constantly. Customer care suggested taking them out when I drive. Not a good suggestion. These devices will drive you crazy when you drive with the windows open or the top down. I'm not not sure if the Eargo 5 has fixed the problem but the company said they wouldn't allow me to upgrade and pay the difference to mitigate the problem. Also, the charging unit stopped synching to my phone. They did offer to send a new charger and I hope there is an adjustment to fix the program change issue.

Eargo response

Hello! We're so sorry to hear about the frustration regarding the sound profiles changing on their own. The reason for this is that the sound profiles should cycle when air is pushed into the microphone, like when you're tapping your ears twice. Another way that you can avoid this (other than removing the devices when driving with the windows down) is using the free Eargo app to mute all sound profiles but the desired profile. There is already a case in progress for one of our on-call professionals to call you and work through trying this with you.

I hope this is helpful, but if you need anything else then please let me know. Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Resolution response: Aug. 31, 2021

I was able to come to a resolution with Eargo. It’s a good product. It just didn’t work for me.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I have worn hearing aids for 9 or 10 years, (behind the ear models,) and a year ago decided I’d try the Eargo Neo HiFi. There were some initial problems with feedback and getting used to an in the ear aid, but once I got past those I liked the product. But a little more than two months into wearing them, I began to have problems where they weren’t amplifying sound and wouldn’t cycle through the programs. Long story short, the issue for me is that the microphones in the Eargo stop working after two months. This first happened to me just after the initial period where I could return them had expired, and so I worked on solving the problem. Eargo has been good about honoring the warranty and giving me a new hearing aid. In general I’ve found the people on the customer service line to be helpful, and usually easy to reach.

The service representatives have worked with me to try to solve the problem, which apparently is caused by the microphone getting obstructed with wax and debris. I have followed every suggestion they’ve made—compressed air for cleaning, using a different brush, letting the aids dry first before cleaning. But the aids continue to fail after about 2 months no matter what I’ve tried. There have been times they’ve seemed to blame me for this, insinuating I don’t care for them properly. But I’m very meticulous about cleaning and caring for them, and follow all their suggestions, even up to buying another maker’s hearing aid vacuum that cost me $100. Nothing has worked. I’ve now had to replace each hearing aid separately 5 or 6 times in the last 14 months. The customer service representatives are helpful but limited in what they can do when they are dealing with you only over the phone or video.

After the last aid failed, despite following their suggestion of daily use of the vacuum as “the only other thing to try,” I called Eargo again. The customer line had me on a 40 minute hold each time I called, so I requested a call back. They called back the first time within the hour, but unfortunately I couldn’t take the call. After that I requested callbacks twice, as well as made 2 emails to their support line as they suggest, and didn’t receive any calls or emails in return for 6 days. All this time I was without a left hearing aid. I finally had to write to a customer representative whose direct email I had from a past complaint, and finally heard back.

I told Eargo I was very frustrated that during the last year, I’d had ten to twelve failures of the device, and a total of about 3 months during that time where I was without a hearing aid. I mentioned I knew that they’d come out with a new model, the Eargo 5, with changes to the microphone and cover which seemed to address the exact issue I had with my Neo Hifi model's failing. The Eargo 5 has a self-cleaning, removable microphone cover which indicates to me they are aware there was a design flaw in the Neo Hifi. The representative said the new model would likely take care of the problem I’ve had with my current aids.

I asked what kind of upgrade I could get, particularly since the current ones I’ve own have continually failed. They said I could get $500 off the cost of $2950, not because of the problems I’ve had, but because that is just what they offer any current Eargo customer. I said the Neo Hifi I already had cost nearly that exact amount, and I was hesitant to again spend that amount of money to try a new pair which I wasn’t even sure would solve my issue. The representative pointed out their 60-day return policy. I explained the problem with my original pair was that they functioned just past that time and then failed, and consistently did so, and despite numerous interactions the company had not properly remedied that during the last year.

I have decided that I’m unwilling to risk more money on a new product from Eargo, as they have not remedied what is a defective product for some people, and clearly is for me. And I’m not going to go through another year under warranty with my current devices where I have to send in the devices that have failed and wait to receive a replacement, every month or so. I will find a hearing aid and a company that works for me and is committed to giving my money’s worth in their product.

Eargo response

Hello Phil! Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're very happy that you're satisfied with the support we've provided in continuing to replace your devices for free when needed. However, we're very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your Eargo aids thus far.

Eargo hearing aids being in-ear devices do require certain daily and monthly maintenance. For future reference, it can be very helpful to further discuss cleaning and quality with one of our hearing professionals, if you'd like us to arrange a call for you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I called Eargo, ordered from them and customer service was super good. I'm a federal employee, so I was able to get a good deal. The cost is negligible and my hearing aids are doing what I want them to do. It's made life better. I don't have to ask people to repeat themselves often. I have recommended Eargo to several people now (people that had $5,000 hearing aids that were very unhappy with them) and they may have already followed through.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We're so happy that you're happy with our product and support, and that you've been recommending Eargo to others! We do have a referral program, if you want to email our Client Care team with information on who you referred to us. Thank you again for this review. We truly appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

Since using Eargo, there's been an improvement with my hearing, although I'm not sure it deals with all the tones that I have deafness with. I have printouts of the hearing tests that I had done and they didn't ask for those, which would have been an intelligent thing to do. They could have matched the hearing aids to something more medically documented. Other than that, the hearing aids fit very well in the ear. I'm reactive outside and my chance of losing them or having them fall out is slim to none.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're happy to hear that Eargo's fit you well and have ultimately improved your hearing, but we are sorry if they do not help with all tones you need them to help with. While providing a hearing test is in no way required, it can be helpful in adjusting your Eargo aids through the app, if you did want to email our Client Care team that document to attach to your account. Thank you again for the opportunity to improve your hearing, and please keep spreading the word about Eargo!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

Everything was good with Eargo’s customer service. I got the inside the ear style hearing aid and they work well. I can hear better.

Eargo response

Hello Scott! Thank you so much for sharing this positive review of your Eargo experience! We're so happy that you're happy with our product and the support that we've provided.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

My life has returned with the arrival of my Eargo hearing aids. I can now enjoy my family and their visits and be able to hear their stories and jokes and just general conversations. Thank you Eargo for your quality product. Frank A **

Eargo response

Hello! Wow! Thank you so much for sharing about your experience. We're so happy for the opportunity to improve your hearing, and life. We sincerely appreciate your business!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I want the latest model of everything. I spent $2,495 to find out 8-9 weeks later a whole new version has been released. Very disappointed! If you would have been honest and said a new version was coming out, I would have waited and gladly paid the higher price!

Eargo response

Hello! We are very sorry for the disappointment, but we could not announce the upcoming release of our new product until it was announced to the public. In addition, we were not given an exact date of the upcoming release, so we would've been unable to share important details regardless. The Eargo system that you have is still a wonderful product! Please reach out to our Client Care team if you need any assistance.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

My entire experience with Eargo has been extremely positive. From the first phone conversations to the wearing of my hearing aids, I don't think it could be any better. You have a world class product and first class personnel. Thank you Eargo.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing this positive experience! We're so happy that you're happy!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2021

I can adjust left & right hearing aids with Eargo App bluetooth connection, but not with tapping by my ear. I've tried more than several "tapping methods" for both ears, nothing works. I'm okay with this because hearing aids are otherwise working okay.

Eargo response

Hello! We're very if you're having issues with your Eargos cycling sound profiles properly. For assistance with this, please contact our Client Care team Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, using the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling 1-800-615-9000. Otherwise, we're happy that you're still ultimately satisfied with our product!

Original review: July 30, 2021

Slightly hard of hearing, especially at the higher decibel ranges. These aids were exactly what I needed and the customer support has been fantastic. Earlier skepticism (a product of the times) is all all gone! Wife happy too since now she does not have to keep repeating herself.

Eargo response

Hello Terry! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing, and we're so happy that you're happy!

Original review: July 26, 2021

Now that I'm using Eargo, my hearing is so much better. But sometimes, my charger doesn't work and I have to clean the terminals. Even though they look clean, they're not perfectly clean. The other night, I put it in to charge and only one of the hearing aids charged. I tried it again and got it all to work. Other than that, I'm very happy with the hearing aid. It was a good decision on my part to do that and I would recommend the Eargo.

Eargo response

Hello Rafael! Thank you so much for your positive review, and for recommending Eargo to others! We're sorry if you've experienced some issues with charging, but we are so happy to hear that the instance has since been resolved. If you need assistance with anything else moving forward, please feel free to contact our Client Care team! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST by emailing support@eargo.com, through the live chat function on our website at eargo.com, or by calling us at 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: July 20, 2021

Once you get used to wearing Eargo, they're pretty good. Everything's clear. Not jumbled up. Their reps were great too. I'm very happy with them.

Eargo response

Hello William! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing, and we're so happy that you're happy!

Original review: July 18, 2021

If you want to spend a year fiddling with settings, cleanings, reinstallations, a laughably useless app, but very nice customer service people, then by all means buy these. You'll get all of the above and then the actual product will mysteriously stop working right after the one year warranty expires. Everyone will be very sorry and offer to help you reinstall, re-clean, re-setup, re-test, etc. but the poorly designed product will still be dead. No refund, no replacement unless you're willing to pay another few hundred (per ear) for another short lived unit.

Eargo response

Hello Filip! Thank you for your positive review on our Client Care team, although I am very sorry that you do not enjoy our product. Since Eargo hearing aids do sit inside the ear canal, they truly do require daily and occasionally vigorous cleaning. As for our app and how the product itself works, we have since released a new and improved Eargo system, the Eargo 5 (a new app comes with this device as well)! If you'd like to give us another try, we provide a 45-day trial period with a 100% money back guarantee. Please call us at 800-481-1302 if interested.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I can hear better with my Eargo hearing aids. When I watch a movie, I could pay more attention, listen to the movie and not worry about anything and missing parts. Everything's going good.

Eargo response

Thank you so much for sharing about your positive experience with Eargo! We truly appreciate the opportunity to improve your hearing. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo to friends and family, and just let us know if you need anything!

Original review: July 9, 2021

The reps were very upfront and helpful. When I try to answer a phone, the hearing aid gives a bit of a squeal in my ear. But other than that, it seems to be doing fine. It adjusts pretty well and is easy to clean. I actually forget it's in my ear. The set that I got for the sample to see which one would fit in my ear most comfortably, I gave it to my cousin. Because he's got to have some hearing aids as well, and I highly recommended the set that I got.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're very happy that you're happy with our product and representatives. Keep spreading the good word about Eargo, and thank you so much again!

Original review: July 8, 2021

Eargo's hearing aids are okay except I don't have good luck getting them in where it goes into the clearance of the channel. But I hear better all the time if I use them. I talked to the rep one time and told her that I was having trouble and that the hearing aids were too big. She said they had smaller hearing aids and that she would send them to me. She did so immediately.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We're sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your devices, but glad to hear that assistance from our representatives for you was immediate. If you should need additional help with anything, please contact our Client Care team! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST through using the live chat feature on our website, emailing support@eargo.com, or by calling 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: July 7, 2021

My experience with Eargo has not been very good. I have it on number one and they pick up so much background. Like if a fan is running and I'm trying to watch TV, it even picks that up. Also, to turn them up or turn them down, you gotta smack yourself in the ear. People look at me when I'm tapping myself in the ear and they think I'm crazy. But the quality of the device has been very good. I'm fine with it too. Eventually, they said if I leave it in all the time, I'll get used to it.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. If you need assistance in having adjustments made to your Eargo aids or anything else, please just let us know as we want your journey with Eargo to be as positive as possible! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST through using the live chat feature on our website, emailing support@eargo.com, or by calling 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I like Eargo so far, but I'm still getting used to them. They're also expensive. $2,500 isn't cheap by anybody's standard. But they're cheaper than my first hearing aids and I like the way they work. I also have talked with their rep a couple of times through emails. I like them so far.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for sharing about your Eargo experience. We're truly happy that you're happy with your Eargo aids and that you have found our representatives helpful so far. If you need assistance with anything while still getting used to them, we're always happy to help! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST through using the live chat feature on our website, emailing support@eargo.com, or by calling 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: July 5, 2021

The reps of Eargo were very good and helpful. When you put it in, it will say something like, “Program one, program two,” and you tap your ear, it changes. However, I put them in on the weekend and the right one wouldn't connect. It's also hard to get used to. But the experience with it was fine.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. If you're still having any trouble with your Eargo devices, please reach out to our Client Care team for some assistance! Our Client Care team can be reached Monday-Friday 8am-8pm CST through using the live chat feature on our website, emailing support@eargo.com, or by calling 1-800-615-9000.

Original review: July 4, 2021

After using another brand of ITC aids for five years, I am amazed at what I don't hear as well as what I can now hear. I don't hear overamplified background noises like the roar of tires on the highway when driving or air blowing out of a nearby a/c vent, I do enjoy being able to understand normal conversations in many situations I couldn't previously. Finally I really, really, enjoy the feeling of open and natural hearing-not like I have bucket over my head!

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for the amazing post about your experience with Eargo! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing, and we're so happy to hear that you're happy. Please keep spreading the good word about Eargo!

Original review: June 29, 2021

I have Eargo hearing aids that are in the ear. They're like invisible. They've helped a lot. Before having them, I'd have to have the TV real loud and the wife would say, “Can we turn it down?” Now, I don't need to. The customer service team had to resubmit a claim because the insurance wasn’t gonna pay for it. They needed more paperwork. I haven't heard back from the insurance company, but I got an extension on my trial period. And if for any reason the insurance doesn't pay for it, I can return them. I’m happy with Eargo.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're so happy that you're happy with the product, and thank you for giving us the chance to sort things out with insurance while you continue to enjoy your devices. Lastly, keep spreading the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Original review: June 27, 2021

Eargo can work on YouTube videos of walking everybody right through on how to pick up the hearing aids, how to put them back in the thing, and how to look for the lights that light up and stuff. Also, when you drive down the road and you open or close the window in the car, it's the same as cupping your hand over your ear to change the setting. If I have the hearing aid off and it's in and then I crack the car window, the hearing aid is gonna turn on. But other than those, the functionality is great. There are days I don't wear it and once I put it on, I realize I'm missing a lot.

Eargo response

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with Eargo! We're happy to hear that you're ultimately happy with our product, and that they do improve your hearing. We truly appreciate the opportunity to help!

Original review: June 26, 2021

The hearing aid is comfortable. You hardly ever see it. It worked very well for me. It's easy to control with just slapping it and changing the volume. Also, the reps have all been very cooperative and polite.

Eargo response

Hello Donald! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're so happy that you're happy with your Eargo aids and with our support so far.

Original review: June 18, 2021

It takes a little while to get used to Eargo hearing aids and what range you want them in. But sometimes, I've got in the shower twice and forgot they were in. They're so comfortable I don't even know I have them on. A lady rep called me and was really nice. She was asking me what I need to know about the hearing aids, but in today's technology with the iPhone, I can do everything myself. And I'm an old man, I still got the technology down.

Eargo response

Hello Mike! We're so happy to hear that your Eargo aids are comfortable, and hope that you are used to them now! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing.

Original review: June 5, 2021

My Eargo hearing aids make it easier mostly in meetings when I'm further back or sometimes if I'm in the front and briefing then there are folks a little bit further back. In the past, depending on the pitch of the person, it could be a big issue and my hearing aids helped with that a lot. So, I don't use them so much in my day-to-day activities, like listening to TV, because I don't want to leave them in my ear too long. But they've been really beneficial for on a six to eight hours a day when I'm doing actual work and I'm having communication. As people are a little bit of distance away from me, my hearing aids have given me a significant amount of relief from having to ask somebody to repeat or speak up. The batteries also seem to last a really long time and the hearing aids are functioning well for me, so I'm happy.

They're pretty comfortable, too. I have sensitive ears, so if I wore even what everyone else would rate the most comfortable earbud in the world, in three or four hours in, my ears start getting tender. My Eargo hearing aids are more comfortable than my expensive earbuds for listening to music or being on a plane since I travel a lot. Even the most expensive earbuds hurt my ears 10 times more than these do. After eight hours, my ears do get tender. But these hearings aids are so much better than my earbuds because they're really small and they've not given me any odd sounds or any issue.

Eargo response

Hello Kirk! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're so glad that your Eargos help as needed while working, and that the battery life of the Eargos are satisfactory. Lastly, please spread the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Original review: June 4, 2021

The customer service of Eargo was good. The quality of the hearing aids is good too. They work well.

Eargo response

Hello Tom! Thank you so much for taking the time to post about your Eargo experience! We truly appreciate you giving us the opportunity to help improve your hearing. We're also so happy to hear that you're happy with our customer service, and our Client Care team is truly always happy to help. Lastly, keep spreading the good word about Eargo to friends and family!

Eargo Company Information