4.4/5 (149 ratings)

About Eargo

Eargo is a health tech company that’s destigmatizing hearing loss through innovation. Eargo brings a refreshing brand to an archaic industry overrun by inflated prices, needless negotiations, and complex purchasing barriers. For the first time, there’s a brand that provides consumers with a modern buying experience, great technology, and a clear understanding of hearing health. Learn more today about the enhanced auditory experience Eargo has offered millions of people across America.

Pros

• Licensed, professional support
  • May be covered by federal benefits
  • Nearly invisible
  • Rechargeable hearing aids

Cons

• Not for profound hearing loss

Bottom Line

Eargo sells four hearing aid models with an open-fit, breathable design. While not appropriate for those with profound hearing impairment, Eargo provides quality devices for mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss.

Eargo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Eargo?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

Have been taking it slow and being very critical for various situation as to how to get the most for my Eargo neo hifi... I found out I needed more base added for program 1 and 2 and I didn't use program 3 and 4.

Eargo response

Thank you for sharing your experience. Please feel free to contact us directly if you need anything. We are always happy to help!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I just wanted to say that I am more than pleased with these Eargo Hearing Aids. They work better than expected. And the folks at Eargo have been great to work with. I was amazed at how quickly my brain adjusted to the new sounds and how comfortable these aids are - in short order I didn't feel them at all.

Eargo response

Wow! We are so happy to hear that you're pleased with our hearing aids!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

I decided to try Eargo, after a neighbor tried them. They work great, fit great, the Eargo specialist work with you to get the best fit. The customer service, cannot be beat. They help you in every way needed, and quickly. My mother in law got hers at Costco, and she wishes she had gotten hers from Eargo, hers fit outside the ear, and she has to go back to Costco, wait in line and try to fix them -I.e. the adjustments if needed etc. Eargo's specialists can literally do it with a phone call or email, and they teach you how to- but if you can’t get it right, like me-I just emailed or texted. They fix it- I showed them to my fellow tea ladies, they were amazed how small they are but powerful.

Eargo response

We are so glad you decided to try Eargo. Please keep spreading the word!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I like the flexibility with being able to tune the Eargo hearing aids myself. However, the hearing aids are fragile. Eargo has already replaced one set for free. The hearing aids just stopped communicating with the charger. But the people that will call you and walk you through things are good customer support. I’ve dealt with at least two technicians. They're interested in keeping you happy.

Eargo response

Thank you for sharing. We are always happy to help and our support team is there to make sure you do well with our hearing aids.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I have found the EARGO 6 to be a HUGE improvement over my previous "behind the ear" hearing aids. I wear glasses and along with a covid mask. The old type hearing aids were always in the way or being pulled off with the mask. The convenience of the EARGO 6 being in the ear and out of the way is wonderful. They have really improved my 76 year old hearing much more than the behind the ear ones did. Sounds are clear and with the built in ability to create a sound profile for each of my ears makes these truly fully custom to my needs.

Being able to fine tune all of the important setting with the app instead of having to get an appointment with an audiologist. The plus of having the really excellent support of Eargo's people makes these units the best available for my needs. Being an Engineer I ask a lot of technical questions and have had all of them answered promptly, usually by the person I was talking to - their people have a wide knowledge of hearing aids and auditory interfacing. The support from the company is easy to obtain, quick to respond and everyone I have talked to have been very knowledgeable and very pleasant to work with.

Eargo response

So happy to hear that your are enjoying the fit and performance of your Eargo hearing aids!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I recently purchased this device and it has made a huge difference in my quality of life. It takes about two weeks to get use to using these, but after that, you forget that you have them in. I recommend this for people with mild hearing loss. I can now hear high frequencies again, like spring peepers (little frogs)!

Eargo response

Thank you so much for sharing your Eargo experience! So happy that we were able to help you and really appreciate the recommendation.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

The Eargo 6 hearing aids have opened my ears to frequencies I haven't heard in years. The clarity and clearness are awesome. The app is easy to use and gives me the ability to change volume, noise filter, and programs right from my mobile phone. I would recommend Eargo 6 if asked by anyone with a hearing loss.

Eargo response

Thank you so much for sharing your Eargo experience! So glad that you're pleased with our hearing aids.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

The charging system is terrible; I bought these in June 2021. The charging system never worked from the beginning. But to get a replacement charger I had to call, text, and email at least a dozen times. Then finally, they agreed to replace the charger but not until I sent the old charger to them. Meaning I would be without hearing aides for a week. After begging, they agreed to send the charger if I promised to return the one that did not work. A little over a year from the purchase date, I cannot change the preset programs, and they will not keep a charge. After my first experience with support, I decided to trash them and purchase another brand. Don't buy. You will regret it.

Eargo response

Hello Danny. We're so sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with your Eargo experience. It appears that you're well within the warranty for your Eargo devices until 2023 and we would be happy to assist you in troubleshooting or getting you replacement devices if needed, and if you still have your Eargo charger and hearing aids. Based on this review, it seems as though there has been miscommunication regarding our exchange process, and we do apologize again for that. The process to receive proper support from our Client Care team should be very pleasant, helpful, and straightforward. Someone from our team will be contacting you directly from here to see if we can turn your experience around for you!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

The Eargo hearing aids are more discreet in terms of the fitting and they don't cost as much as other standard behind the ear hearing aids. Eargo improves my hearing. I pick up higher frequency sounds that I normally wouldn't hear. When I'm outside, I hear birds chirping. Otherwise, I wouldn't hear. I had scheduled an appointment early on right after I’ve gotten my hearing aids for somebody to review with me the setup, how they were working and fine tuning them. They canceled that appointment at the last minute. I would have liked, at least, a phone call with more lead time on that one. The other thing they could do a better job at is periodically following up with people at certain intervals to check on them and see how they're doing. I feel that they leave you out there on your own. I know I can call them back but I still think it would have been good from a customer service standpoint to generate some follow-up phone calls. But overall, their customer support is good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

The Eargo hearing aids work very well. The cost was a little high, but they are very good to work with. I like the idea where you can charge them. You don't have to put batteries in them. Their team has also been very good and helpful. I would recommend them.

Eargo response

We appreciate you sharing your Eargo experience and the recommendation!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I’m delighted with the enhanced hearing I’m experiencing with the Ergo 6. At times I’ve turned the volume down as it’s little loud. I love the digital feature. With arthritic fingers it's great to plug it in and recharge it with no batteries to ever worry with. The device is very easy to clean, as are the ear pieces.. It’s truly great to be able to hear again! Arle **

Eargo response

So glad you're enjoying your Eargos! Thank you for sharing.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Having tried a variety of amplifiers in the $2-300 range, I felt it was time to pay more see if the difference in cost was worth it. For me, after a full month I would have to say it is worth the money. I’m nearly 79 and years of working in heavy (metal on metal) manufacturing has taken its toll. The Eargo6’s are a quality in-the-ear product. The hearing test is first rate. The app makes the product very friendly/useful. The customer service (audiologist) has been very informative and friendly. The product does exactly what I was promised. During last week’s vacation on Cape Cod, my oldest son remarked, ”Dad, you haven’t said "what" once this week." The Eargo6’s are a very good investment. Highly recommend.

Eargo response

What a great recommendation! So glad to hear you are doing well with your Eargo hearing aids.

Original review: July 30, 2022

My Eargo hearing aids are good. I get a little tired of cleaning them all the time, but you have to do that with all of them. With the previous ones I had, I didn't like that the battery was on the outside and it went around the back of your ear. They were just a pain in the neck. If a battery goes dead in a week's time, you're going to spend a heck of a lot of money on batteries. And they weren't cheap. The ones I got now are 100% better. I like the fact that they charge up the batteries themselves and they’re small.

Eargo response

Thank you for sharing your Eargo experience. We're so happy to hear that you are enjoying our hearing aids!

Original review: July 27, 2022

I returned the hearing aids within the trial period. That was my first experience with that kind of hearing device, and while I liked the benefit, they were completely in my ear canal. My ear canal on the right is much bigger than the one on the left, and every time I used the hearing aids, my wife wound up having to get the tweezers to pull that thing out of my head. I'm new to the device, so it itched and I would put my finger up there. Every time, I would jam that thing down farther and farther until it would slip past the point of me being able to get it, so I would come to my wife with the tweezers and she's like, "Again?"

I travel for work, and there's no way I can be on the road in a hotel without my wife and this thing stuck in my ear. I tried the bigger earpieces and it still didn't work. Apart from that, Eargo's follow up, explanations, and in-service training were a 5. I dealt with a couple of different people, and they were thorough and no gimmicks. It was a good experience, but the product didn't work for me even though they worked properly.

Eargo response

We're sorry the Eargo hearing aids didn't work out for you. Thank you sharing your thoughts on the overall experience and we're glad it was a good one despite the fit issues.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I have been wearing Behind the Ear hearing aids for over 14 years. These Eargo 6s work better than my $6000 BTEs!! I can finally hear my husband with his back to me! He said I never could hear him like that before! The fact that they are 1/2 the price is another plus he likes ;). Very happy with them and NO MORE BATTERIES!!! And the charge has lasted all day - 15 hours. I'm so glad I decided on these because the BTEs felt like they could fall out every time I put my glasses on and a mask. You can program them yourself on their app and it provides the same sound hearing test I've done a hundred times in a soundproof booth. Excellent price, product and service!! THANK YOU EARGO!

Eargo response

So happy to read your review here and see that you are enjoying your Eargos so much! Thank YOU!!!

Original review: July 26, 2022

I ordered hearing aids that I had to send back ‘cause they didn't fit right. Eargo sent me the next one up, and that worked. I’m still getting used to them though. It sounds like I got birds chirping in my ears. When I first put them in, it lasted about 30 minutes, but now, I don't notice it very much. Overall, I like Eargo a lot, and I’d tell people to go and try them.

Eargo response

We appreciate you telling others about Eargo! If you ever need assistance, our support team and hearing professionals are always happy to help!

Original review: July 25, 2022

When I put my Eargos in, they were absolutely excellent, and I was very pleased with them. At the moment though, there’s something wrong with my right Eargo. After 15 to 20 minutes, it starts clicking and jumping from one volume to another. That started happening two weeks ago. I thought it was from moisture or something got in there, so I left the device on charge, hoping anything would just dissipate. I tried the device yesterday, and it lasted 30 minutes. It was right back to its old self doing the same old thing. It's absolutely useless and I intended to call up about it.

I haven't had my Eargos that long, and my right Eargo didn't last that long. Now, I have my old hearing aid in my right ear. On the other hand, my left Eargo is working perfect, and I have no problem with that at all. The hearing is very good, and there's very little regenerative feedback, if any at all. The volume controls are right on the money too. I can bring them up where I want them, and that's quite simple. I also like the idea of being able to get on my iPhone and set the frequency response to them.

Eargo response

Hello Joseph! Thank you for taking the time to write about your Eargo experience, although we are sorry to hear that you have had any trouble with your Eargo devices. One of our Personal Hearing Professionals will be contacting you directly from here to assist with the issues occurring, as well as to answer any questions that you may have about the app or anything else with your devices! We appreciate your business as well as your feedback.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Never thought I could afford them but they did get me financing with a low payment. Customer service is awesome and they set up conference calls if you would like to go over any concerns you may have. I’m hearing sounds I never heard before.

Eargo response

So great to hear that you are enjoying your Eargo hearing aids and the support that comes with them!

Original review: July 18, 2022

I discussed purchasing hearing aids with EARGO. They answered all my questions. I purchased them about 1.5 months ago and have been very happy with hearing aids and all the followup from Eargo customer service. I have hearing aids that went over your ears, but I didn't like them and rarely ever wore them.

Eargo response

We're glad you found Eargo and you're happy with both our devices and customer service!

Original review: July 17, 2022

I liked the fact that with Eargo, it was in-the-ear and there was an app to control the volume. I returned my initial hearing aids because there was a buzzing in the ear that had the most severe hearing loss. Although I couldn't hear it, somebody that was standing or sitting next to me could hear it. Anybody that I spoke with at Eargo was great. They tried adjusting the hearing aid from their end and my end. In the end, the technician felt it was just the particular type of aid that probably wasn't conducive to my loss.

Now, I have an over-the-ear aid, which now I'm having trouble with because I wear glasses and headbands and it's starting to irritate me. I was gonna go to Eargo today because the hearing aid is a little bit difficult to get in as well. When I took the aid out, the little end part on it stayed in my ear. It was too big and Eargo didn't have the correct size when I was there.

Eargo response

Thank you so much for sharing your Eargo experience! Although our hearing aids aren't designed for your type of hearing loss, we're glad you gave us a chance and were pleased with our support team.

Original review: July 15, 2022

I've had my Eargo Hearing Devices for about 3 months now. I have a specific type of hearing loss where I have a hard time understanding conversations. I worked with an Eargo Hearing Specialist who opened a whole world of frequency profiles, I was not aware of. I now can hear conversations clearly with minimal background noise. I'm very happy with my Eargo Hearing Devices. I can hear again!

Eargo response

Wow! The experience you shared makes all of us at Eargo so happy!

Original review: July 15, 2022

I get a lot of feedback from the hearing aids that I got from Eargo and sometimes it's way too loud. So, I only wear one at a time. I don't wear both of them at the same time because with both of them on, it's too loud. I hear things the best with them when I'm watching TV. but if I'm out in public wearing them, I don't get a whole lot out of it. I also can't get the Sound Matches feature down right because Eargo tells me to turn my phone down to low, then I have turn it back up, then I don't hear my phone ringing and I miss phone calls. But other than that, Eargo's reps have been helpful.

Eargo response

Hello Sheila! Thank you for taking the time to write about your Eargo experience. I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your devices, but our support teams would be more than happy to help you! One of our on-call Hearing Professionals should be contacting you shortly to assist. You can also feel free to reach out to our Client Care team at your convenience by calling (800)615-9000, emailing support@eargo.com, or by using the live chat function on our website at eargo.com.

Original review: July 6, 2022

After researching I called and spoke with a representative who was very helpful. I decided to order Eargo 6. The doctor of audiology was very professional. She answered all my questions and help me load the phone app. I am happy with my decision.

Eargo response

We appreciate your feedback in regards to your Eargo experience! So glad that you are receiving professional support and you're happy with your decision to order Eargo hearing aids!

Original review: July 2, 2022

Both hearing aids were working well. But something happened to the one on the left and then the one on the right is not working at all. I cannot tap to each hearing aid to move up the scale one to four. I've been in a jam the last couple of days.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I have been wearing healing aids for ten years. I put off getting them as it would then deem me as old! Vanity! This is the second company I have purchased hearing aids from. I love them! They are small, easy to take care of, and they work. The app allows you to make them totally attuned MY ears. The support from Eargo is excellent.

Eargo response

So happy to hear you love your Eargos! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the hearing aids!

Original review: July 1, 2022

Before getting the Eargo hearing aid, I could function on a day-to-day basis. As of right now, speaking on speakerphone, I do not have the apparatuses in my ear. So, I was not even remotely close to being deaf. However, my day-to-day life was impacted and daily conversation by a lot of having family repeat themselves. The rep was very articulate and helpful, and the quality in the articulate speech of the sales representative was great. But my first problem with Eargo was I had great difficulty in understanding the quality of speech coming from the people who were handling the problems. When I purchased the product, they said that the upgraded digital version was not going to be ready for 12 weeks. I was far down the rabbit hole so I let it happen.

When I finally got the product, one of the two earpieces was not charging at all. I spent dollars on a one year no-questions-asked replacement policy so I told them to send me another one. But they wanted me to wait. They said that they leave the hearing aids on to completely discharge it, then hold the button in for 12 seconds and then turn around and charge them for two days. The hearing aids come in a very slick little black rechargeable box for recharging the earpieces. There are two stations for the right one and for the left. When you put the earpiece in, the lights turn green. Then, when they're charged, the lights either go out or they just get to a very dim green. In any case, the light has never gone out on the blue one. So, I'm looking at it right now and the light still has been on for the entire time I've had these in my hand.

If you push the volume button in and release, that changes the volume. If you push the button in and hold it for three seconds, it'll beep or it'll double beep or it'll triple beep. In other words, if I'm listening to TV, I might only want the one beep. If I'm listening to the TV and there's a fan on in the room, I might have to go to the triple beep and the TV quality backs out. I spent $400-ish and it's almost not even worth putting them in my ears anymore. They're such a pain in the neck, up and down. I'm not very happy with Eargo and if I had more confidence in me remaining professional and calm, I'm almost considering contacting the company and using the extra warranty that I purchased.

Something else I would like to bring forth is that Eargo advertised a CIC rechargeable, which is the one that seems to get the most airtime on TV advertisements and they always run a special. I supposedly have one called the CIC digital, which was where it started getting a little bit shaky. The rep said it has improved but they are still showing the inexpensive CIC. Eargo is probably having the product made somewhere else, which is fine, and from the phone calls that I made and the similarities to the people I've spoken with in the customer service end of it, it's almost like it's a family-type business. Their sales department is not a part of their family. I'm gonna give it another try. I've got time to exercise the 100% return policy.

Eargo response

Hello Orlando! Thank you for taking the time to write about your Eargo experience. We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties and issues you've experienced with your Eargo devices, but our Client Care team would be more than happy to assist you and to honor your warranty period if needed. For helpful information, troubleshooting assistance, and potential replacements, please contact our support at your convenience. Our Client Care team can be contacted by calling (800)615-9000, emailing support@eargo.com, and by using the live chat function on our website at eargo.com.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I'm enjoying the Eargo hearing aids. I had a pair of prescription hearing aids that were over the back of the ear and I hear better with these than I do those. So, I'm very pleased with them. I would brag about them to anybody. In church, I couldn't understand the pastor. There are some voices in some ranges that I still have a little bit of trouble with. But I can hear most ranges better now than I did. The rep called me to see how I was doing. I already replaced the battery because the thing instructed me to and the rep said that there was a lot of them that was getting that, and Eargo sent me a whole box of them. The reps I've talked to has been extremely nice. I went online to see how much the tips and the little black caps were. They’re expensive. They’re $45 a shot and I don't know if I'm gonna be able to afford to purchase them. So, I'm taking good care of the two I've got.

Eargo response

We're so glad to hear that you are enjoying your Eargo hearing aids! We always want to make sure our support and the interaction you receive is satisfactory. Please don't hesitate to contact our team if you have any questions or need assistance with anything in the future. We are always happy to help!

Original review: July 1, 2022

Eargo was the first set of hearing aids that I had. According to my audiologist, they're hearing amplifiers, not so much a hearing aid. So, they would pick up more background noise. If I was in a room by myself watching TV or talking to my wife, that would cause a static, other than the TV would interfere with some of my ability to hear. I am on Medicare and Social Security Disability so I talked to them and they suggested me to go to Hear.com, which I did.

My wife contacted somebody in reference to what to do about how to get the Eargo hearing aids returned and we sent them back. They rep said they have a different product that they would send out. But by the time I heard back from Eargo, I already had my regular hearing aids I'm using now. Eargo would be good for certain people in certain circumstances like somebody who was probably in home health care type setting where everything is on low key level for that type of hearing aid situation. They worked okay in the beginning but they turned out to be more of a hassle.

Eargo response

Hello Kevin! We're sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with your Eargo experience. Just to clarify though, Eargo hearing aids are not personal sound amplification products. They are the same FDA registered Class I or Class II exempt medical devices you can purchase in medical offices or through hearing aid retailers. Thank you for trying Eargo, and we do wish you the best of luck on your hearing journey!

Original review: July 1, 2022

The experience was good. The service was excellent. Unfortunately, the product didn't suit me that well. I thought they would be a more updated, better product. But they didn't help my hearing any more than what I already had. I sent them back because that was on the 45-day trial. But it wasn't exactly a free trial, so it ended up being a little bit of expense because you set up the payment thing and then to cancel it, there was a $20 fee to cancel.

Original review: June 30, 2022

I like a lot of the features of the Eargo 6 model but I don't like that the charging station is only good for one charge and the charge for the charging pod itself only lasts one day. So, even if you don't have it plugged in, it dies on its own and it's only good for one charge. Whereas I'd leave my Neos for three weeks and the pod was still charged and the devices were still charged in it. So, the longevity of the charging pod on the 6s is substandard, considering the 6s is the top of the line. It's shocking that it's only good for 14 hours.

As for the hearing part, the 6 has different features but I wouldn't say it's better than the previous ones I had. I also don't like that when the volume gets up, there's a lot of digital feedback and it almost screams in your ears with its high pitch. And that happens even after it's set to my hearing. Even though it has bass and treble settings, the bass isn't that great and the treble is more enhanced. I asked the person at Eargo about it when they were contacting me to make sure I knew how to do everything on the hearing aid and I was told that that's just the way it is. Whereas the Neos, which is retail or not even half the price of the 6s, even though it had super basic functions, the quality of the sound is better. I was a little disappointed since the 6 was the best of the Eargo line and the fidelity is not that great. It's also much more sensitive than the Neos were.

Eargo Company Information