2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

3.9/5 (36 ratings)
Compare Offers on Personal Loan Pro

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About Prosper

Prosper Loans is an online peer-to-peer lender marketplace that offers fast loans funded by individuals and investors. Prosper handles all loan servicing on behalf of borrowers and investors. Loans range from $2,000 to $40,000, and terms range from three to five years with a fixed interest rate. You can check your rate online instantly. The company does not charge a prepayment penalty if you pay off the loan early.

Pros

• No prepayment penalty
  • No collateral
  • Lower interest rates
  • Check your rate for free

Cons

• Minimum FICO score of 640
  • High origination fee

Bottom Line

Prosper Loans provides convenient options for borrowers with good credit and has online applications, direct deposits, no collateral, and loans that can be used for many purposes.

Top Prosper Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've taken 3 loans from Prosper over the last 5 years and have had a perfect experience every time. The first time I was buying my first car… The next time I had credit card debt ...

Verified

Great service and response. Very helpful and walked through the process in detail. I received call back and notifications. Didn't take more than a week. After submitting my reques...

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

What is Prosper loans?

Prosper offers multiple loan types, including debt consolidation, home improvement, short-term, bridge auto, small business, baby, adoption and engagement ring loans. Prosper Loans also offers HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans and green loans for financing solar energy or water conservation systems in your home.

Prosper deducts monthly payments from your account. If you decide to pay the loan off early, Prosper does not charge a penalty.

How does Prosper work?

Prosper loans are available online. Before you apply, you can check your rate without impacting your credit score. You’re asked to provide personal information when you apply, including:

• Your name
  • Your address
  • Your date of birth
  • Identity verification

After you’ve provided this information, Prosper matches you with traditional lenders or individual investors that fit your needs. You choose the offer that works best for your situation, which could involve several lenders to meet the full amount you want to borrow. Once you select your loan, you receive funds in your bank account through direct deposit. Since the loan is unsecured, your signature is all that is needed to get the money — no collateral is required.

For HELOC loans, Prosper offers flexible access to your money and monthly repayment terms. You can see your rate and credit limit online in seconds, without impacting your credit score. Loan amounts are available up to $300,000. The bank pays closing costs on your HELOC (above $10,000) with Prosper.

Prosper loan rates

Prosper's interest rates vary based on the loan amount and your creditworthiness. Personal loan APRs are fixed and range from 7.95% to 35.99%, and customers with higher credit scores typically get lower rates.

Origination fees vary between 2.41% to 5%. HELOC rates start as low as 3.24% variable rate and range up to 10.35% after the introductory period.

Prosper FAQ

How long does it take Prosper to approve a loan?
The application review process takes up to five business days.
Is Prosper a good lender?
Prosper works with FDIC-insured WebBank. Personal loan interest rates are fixed and competitive with similar loan types from other lenders. Prosper charges an origination fee of 5%, which can be higher than a traditional bank.
Does Prosper verify income?
Prosper verifies income for a subset of borrowers based on a proprietary algorithm. That means not every borrower’s income is verified, but some are. If you need to verify your income, Prosper asks for pay stubs, tax returns or bank statements.
How long do Prosper loans take?
Once approved, you could get your loan in as little as one to three business days. When your loan request is posted to the marketplace, it remains active for 14 days.
Can you pay off a Prosper loan early?
You can pay off a Prosper loan early with no prepayment penalty. You can also make additional payments on the principal amount during the month.

Is Prosper a good lender?

Borrowers who want relatively fast access to cash at reasonable rates with no collateral might benefit from Prosper’s services. Though the online application process is convenient and can be completed without visiting a bank or physical location, the Prosper loans verification process could take up to five days, which might be too much of a wait for those who need emergency funds.

Prosper Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prosper?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Easy application process. I used this service for my daughter's student loan. There have been no issues through the duration of the loan.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Prosper is a newer type of loan company called a peer-to-peer lender. Loans are funded by individual investors, as opposed to banks or other credit companies. Prosper itself does not actually fund any part of the loan. I found it to be a very simple process of filling out a very short form on a website, including how much money I wanted to borrow and how many months/years I wanted to pay it back. Once you submit the form, it somehow looks at your credit "picture" without actually pulling a credit report, and therefore not leaving an inquiry on your credit report. Once you accept the loan and the loan terms, Prosper does pull an actual credit report that will show as an inquiry. If all looks good the loan is put out to the investors and the investors decide whether or not they want to invest enough to fund your loan.

It only took about 1/2 of a day and I received the communication from Prosper that my loan had been funded. A couple days later the loan proceeds were transferred directly to my checking account. I did not have to actually talk to anyone. All communication was done through email. They seriously could not make it any easier. It's a great way to get money without all the intrusive stuff you have to go through with a bank or standard loan company. I would give Prosper a perfect 10 out of 10. To wrap it up, Prosper is a much simpler way to get a personal loan. A quick web form to initially apply; a quick decision that does not initially affect your credit; a quick turnaround for funding the loan and dispersing the loan. Easy as 1, 2, 3!

Get buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Great customer service. Excellent friendly staff. Very professional, start to finish. You are treated with the utmost respect makes you feel like one of their family members. I would definitely recommend it to someone else especially Google reviews.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Prosper is a peer-to-peer loan company. Individuals helped finance the loan. It was a quick and easy process. Funds were available within 5 business days of my application. I recommend it to anyone with good to great credit.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Prosper is my "Go To" for a loan. They have been there for me (3 times) since 2016. The application is quite simple and their customer service is knowledgeable, friendly and reliable. I would highly recommend Prosper.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I made a 0.8% return on my investment over a 3 year period when I first tried investing with Prosper. Many of the loans were sent to collections and I did not receive my investment back. I chose to mostly invest with lendees with at least a "B" rating, but even some of the "A" rated lendees did not pay and went to collections. I do not know how Prosper is investigating the lendees, but it does not reflect how likely they are to pay. The lender interface to view the investments is also misleading and make your investment return look better than it is. At the end of the 3-year period, the interface stated I made 3% on my money (still a horrible rate over 3 years), but when I did the calculation manually, I had only made .8%. You are much better off with traditional investments than trying to profit off of the debt of your fellow citizens.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Please let this sink in. You need financial assistance and you take your chance with Prosper. You apply, and after a hard pull on your credit, Prosper tells you, "approved". You allow them access to your bank account and then provide a copy of your driver's license electronically, per their request. You wait. Two days later your loan is cancelled and you receive an email saying, "We could not verify identity". It is a scam to get your information. They know everything about you now. And, the sad thing is, they get away with it. Read the negative reviews. They are real.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

DO NOT APPLY! I applied for a personal loan and agreed to ONE hard credit pull and now I am getting alerts that my credit has dropped 15-20 points due to multiple hard credit pulls from Prosper. Additionally, the company definitely should be investigated for falsely advertising. They sent me an email saying I was "approved" for a loan. NOT "pre-approved" or "pre-qualified", "APPROVED". Then, after submitting all my documents and information needed for a hard pull, I find out I wasn't actually approved yet and that everything I submitted was not meant to verify my information, but instead meant to be used for a loan approval process. NOT OKAY!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

A short 3-year $8,000 loan is costing me total $19,226. Contract didn't list that!? Scam. Confusing victimizing contract. Loan shark. Victimizes low income people. Contacted Attorney General. Now spending $1,000+ on a lawyer. VERY ANGRY!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I was pre-approved for a loan by Prosper - and immediately sent in all of the documents they requested - including bank account information, proof of income, and a copy of my driver's license. I had to email them because the Prosper website wouldn't upload my documents. I called customer service about the problem, and spoke with an agent who was completely clueless about what to do.

Two days after I sent the requested documents - I received an email from Prosper stating that my application was canceled because I didn't provide sufficient proof of identity!! I immediately called customer service - and once again spoke to an inept, mentally vacant agent - who said Prosper couldn't prove that I was "a person." She said there was nothing she could do - and that my application and account were closed.

I then emailed Prosper and asked why - specifically - the application was denied given I had provided all of the requested documents. I even offered to submit other government identifications. It has been several days - and I have not received a reply. TERRIBLE - TERRIBLE - TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. There are dozens of other loan brokers - I have already gotten a loan with another company with much better and efficient customer service. So don't waste your time with a company who cares nothing about their customers.

Prosper Company Information