PNC Bank

PNC Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

PNC Bank Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We started our business with PNC and asked them for the credit card reader through them, they told us that it will be $27 a month to lease it and no minimum sale amount required. Also the device was insured for the lifetime of the lease of two years. I did ask the PNC representative that came to my store to talk with me about the machine and confirmed twice that I will only pay $27 a month for the lease, nothing else! Within a month we started to receive fees for apps that were supposed to come with the machine, they told me I had to have insurance on it and that it did not come with it and then today they charged me double for the machine for the month. I am so disappointed. The only explanation they can give is that I was charged for two months of use and I have only had the device 23 days. I have asked for everything to be canceled and take their machine.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I'd been keeping a close eye on my account through online banking because I had overdraft fees at a time when I shouldn't have. I should have taken screenshots to prove it. Direct Deposits have been sitting in pending while debits are allowed to come through which caused overdraft fees. They will not refund and insist they have posted items as they come through. I also noticed several dates had changed on items that had been posted (not pending transactions). The change resulted in my balance changing from day to day causing an overdraft fee. Keep a close eye on your account and take screenshots of your activity. I will be closing my account with PNC.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Spoke with Jennifer ** in the Retail Escalation Dept in the hope of trying to understand why a computer application denied me the privilege of opening a Checking Account online? She informed me that my application was rejected and a letter would be sent out to me. She could not explain why my application was rejected and refused to allow me to speak with anyone else about my situation. Is this the kind of institution and people you want to be handling your money?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

PNC Bank charged me 430$ in fees 'cause they paid out 3 of my bills which made me overdrawn. The 1 $19.55 check cost me $144 and they still didn't pay it. 2nd one for $47 cost me $72 and didn't get paid. This was only 9 days. This is bull. Been with them 40 years. Time to find another bank.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Never late, never past due, never not paid every dime I borrowed from them back and they wouldn’t loan me any money. In my working life I put everything I made for while with them which was Million plus through the bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

A few months back I financed a vehicle through PNC. I am astonished they don’t have online bill pay. You have to mail a check with coupon. I signed up for auto withdrawals and I was told I’d receive a letter once it was set up. WRONG! I mailed a check and they auto deducted. I called and asked for a refund check or reversal of the auto payment. Because I don’t bank with them, it would take 2 weeks to get a check. No problem. I called 2 days later to find out if a check was mailed. “No ma’am. We were unable to verify your address.” WHAT? They had me verify my address when I called previously. Why wasn’t I called? Had to ask to speak with a manager 3 times before I was transferred.

The “manager,” of the escalation department, continuously tried to talk over me. Even said it wasn’t mailed because of an invalid address, but the person who put through the paperwork did it incorrectly. Who trains these people? Told me he’d try to get out that day. He gave me his name and # and said he’d call me back that day. WRONG! I left a message for him the following morning. Still no returned call that afternoon. Spoke to someone else in the department who said the check had not been mailed, but that the review team was emailed. WTF? I was assured the “manager” would call me back and leave a detailed message on my cell. Uh... No he won’t because he’ll be talking to me. Still no call! Piss poor customer service! Untrained personnel! Doesn’t care about their consumers! I am getting a different lender!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Today I got an email time stamped for a time I was not even awake, saying the email associated with my SmartAccess card has been changed, and to call if I didn’t authorize this change. Before calling, I tried to log into the account and it said the last 4 digits of my SSN were wrong. So I called, and the rep noted I had called earlier in the day to change all of my information - I did not. They let some random person change all information associated with my SmartAccess account INCLUDING THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER *OVER THE PHONE.* And for me, the rightful account owner, to change it back I’M the one who has to take time out of my day to visit the branch to prove my identity. But this was not so with whatever freak stole my information! This is NOT a bank that values your security whatsoever. Stay away.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I will never do business with this company again. I have been trying to refinance the auto loan they hold for my Jeep. My credit union has sent 4 checks totaling well over 100,000 dollars and PNC continues to A) say they never received them, B) we received it and know who signed for it, C) it takes 21 days to process a check d) they never received or signed for a check - even though they before admitted they signed for the check and D) will not back date the check even though we have tracking numbers. This currently costing me over $500 in interest they refuse to return. Sometimes they will talk to my bank and give them my personal information - until we ask for the payments to process, then suddenly they need me on the line. So either they are breaking the law by giving out my account information or they are lying to make the process harder. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! They are impossible to work with.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Very dissatisfied with the Escalation team and customer service. Told late payment issue would be taken care of and it was not. Made payment of $51.33 in June and $551.33 was taken from my checking account. Told 3 times that they were refunding the $ and 5 months later I am still waiting, even after 6 calls to different individuals. Now Samantha at Escalation Team was helping but never once did she actually listen to what I said. Terrible service, I choose to never get another loan thru PNC.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Checked the website to see if my Social Security check had been recorded yet. Shocked to see my checking account balance was ZERO. Cannot access activity for checking or savings. Savings was transferred previously since I am closing the account. However it takes Social Security 60 days to change banking info so the deposit was supposed to go there. Website says I last accessed my account at 9:35 pm. I knew that was incorrect so to be sure I checked my browser history. This desktop did not access the account at 9:35 pm. And of course, I tried to access the account after hours so there is nothing I can do now. Just spend a sleepless night wondering if I'm broke right before the holidays. This is the last time they will jerk me around. Found this website trying to see if others had reported the system down. At least I know I'm not alone with my dissatisfaction with this bank.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have had an account with PNC for about 20 years. We had a hurricane in Wilmington and the devastation was horrific. Because of the hurricane I had financial difficulties. They closed my account a few days before my direct deposit was to post. They held my check and are still holding it. I had to make many calls to PNC and the payroll department to try to locate my money. All the PNC employees told me the check bounced back to payroll. Payroll had no indication of this. No one from PNC got a clue where my money was. Finally I spoke with someone who told me they were holding the check and it would be mailed to me. It has been a week since it was mailed out and I still haven't received it. I called and spoke to Mark **. I asked him to cancel the check and wire the money to my bank. He said they can't do that.

I never heard of a bank that couldn't wire money. They were not at all sympathetic about us going through the hurricane. They kept my money for 2 weeks when I needed it during this time of devastation. They are not a bank I would recommend to anyone. Each department can only do one thing. I heard, "that would be a different department ma'am" more times than I care to count. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and this disconnect is detrimental to any business. They won't ever get my business again and I certainly won't recommend them to anyone. Everyone I spoke with was rude and unable to help me.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Loan Originator lied to get my business. I didn't realize until my closing documents arrived 7 weeks after the process started that I was lied to on June 27. About the rate, time to close and closing costs. Every time he spoke to me it was on his personal unrecorded cell phone. Therefore, there are no recorded conversations at PNC.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Made an account address change I did not ask for (instead asked to sign up for web banking so I can manage elderly parent's checking account) and 3 calls later, they were still not able to resolve issue. SHAME!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I attempted to make my credit card payment via the telephone automated system without success. And subsequently was put on hold for more than 20 minutes while attempting to pay via a customer service representative, resulting in a late payment scenario. Background: PNC does offer a late payment exception but contains very strict guidelines. They employ a very inconvenient on time payment cutoff of 6 p.m. (E.S.T.)! I have 6-8 credit cards, with American Express, Citicards, Chase, & Bank of America among others, and in all cases there is a cut off time for on time payments with the earliest being 8 p.m. (E.S.T.) up to 11: 59 p.m. (E.S.T.)... very manageable and understandable.

I explained what caused my problem to pay my bill on time to the PNC representative I spoke with and the supervisor I requested. In both cases no attempt to understand the inability I had to make my payment on time due to a problem with PNC’s automated system as well as excessive hold time to reach a representative was acknowledged. They simply guided me to alternative payment options, for which, I had also made attempts in paying my credit card bill to no avail, explaining such to both persons employed by PNC. The result with both representatives was a less than sincere sounding: “I’m sorry that you had such an experience but there’s nothing we can do to change anything.”

Wow, that’s the epitome of customer service and a real effort to retain a long standing card holder as I am, as well as a PNC Bank customer of long standing! I strongly plead anyone reading this account to take heart in what my distasteful experience was and is with PNC credit card services, as it’s obvious that this corporation has taken advantage of a customer’s failure no matter the nature of unavoidable circumstances leading to such was. He/she clearly made no attempt to reconcile the problem in a satisfactory manner. As a result do I plead with you as a potential PNC customer to consider opening a credit card account instead with one of the alternatives listed above — you’ll be much more satisfied!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

On Friday 10/26/2018, I visited PNC Bank located at 340 Madison Avenue, New York NY 10173 and I used the ATM to deposit funds into my account. The ATM malfunctioned by accepting my deposit but the transaction was not completed as my receipt was not printed nor was the funds credited to my account. An error message came on the screen of ATM machine stating that no more than 50 bills can be entered at a time and the machine returned only a small portion of my deposit but kept the majority of my deposit. My deposit was under 20 counted bills. The machine then read that ‘service has been called’. I called out for someone at the branch to assist and was ushered to a banker who informed me that there was nothing that he could do since the bank does not service the ATMs and proceeded to call into the claims department.

I was visibly upset because the deposit was intended to pay bills that was due. The claims representative on the phone could not offer any assistance other than inform me that it will take 10 business days for an investigation and for my funds to be credited to me. Ten days later does not help me! I asked the banker if he could view the cameras to confirm my deposit and he responded no. I then asked to speak with the Branch Manager and I was told that the manager already left for the day, so he was the only one who could offer assistance in which he did not! I left the branch upset of course and I went to Wells Fargo to deposit the remainder of my funds that I intended for PNC.

At Wells Fargo I advised the banker what happened and he stated that I should’ve been offered Provisional Credit due to the situation and advised that I file a complaint. I called my best friend who previously worked in the banking field and she stated the same as Wells Fargo and also stated that this was standard procedure. Why was I not offered Provisional Credit at PNC? The banker at PNC did not care and was relieved when I left the bank. Once this issue clears up, I will not continue my business with the bank. I will also inform my friends and my colleagues in the insurance industry my experience. This horrible experience should not be repeated.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I will be closing my accounts shortly. What a load of crap... had money in other accounts with them but still took a $36 charge for going under by a dollar. Called to ask if it could be waived and why they didn't take it out of another account and was told no. Enjoy your $36. I'll be moving on. Ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

No response to request for follow up - I've had an account for 32 years. Recently had fees applied I disagreed with and called expecting assistance. Spoke with two very rude reps, so called my branch. In both cases I was told I'd get a call back regarding my complaint. That was 5 days ago. Description: I made 7 or so purchases each less than $3 after confirming my bank balance. The following day I saw a bill payment that legitimately put my account in overdraft, but it was listed between the several small purchases. PNC then added $36 overdraft fees to 2 of the $3 transactions. I will not stay with a bank willing to lose a long term customer due to $72 false fees.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I decided to give this bank a second chance after having to close an account because they would not stop withdrawals from a scam operation. I opened an account for a non-profit organization and after jumping through a lot of hoops, the account was opened. A month or so later, I received notice that the account was being closed. I asked why and they told me to go to my local branch. The local branch said that I had to sign a few more papers which I did. Today I received a check saying that the account was closed with no explanation. This is the worse bank I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

On 9/20/18 I called for a payoff amount, was given $7,488.25 which included a cash advance balance of $661.64. Paid this amount on the due date but it wasn't actually applied to account until 9/24. Received my Oct statement with a balance due $13.34 from the cash advance balance, not purchases. 10/4 3:51 pm I called cust serv. Spoke with Dawn **. She stated account closed 9/24 and that's the interest accrued up until 9/24, asked why there isn't interest accrued for my balance on purchases, stated was paid off 9/20, stated account is zero but cash advanced still accrue until account closed, asked her to get a supervisor, she stated she talked w/her super and agreed to give a "Supervisor Exemption Waiver" for $13.34, allow 3-5 days to appear, wanted guarantee it will be done so I'm not charged a late fee, stated no fee since 3-5 days is before due date 10/20.

Called and checked my account 10/13 balance still due, spoke with Rashawnda in customer service 4:47 pm. Stated my previous call account only notated nothing was ever done, informed wanted to file a complaint with her supervisor re: prev call and what was going to be done. She stated she spoke with her Team Lead Timothy **. ASSURED me was going to be taken care of now, just to be sure check back Tues. 10/16. I forgot all about it since my dog was sick and I preoccupied trying to help him. Called 10/22 and I STILL have $13.34 due. Called cust serv again. Asked to speak w/ supervisor, 9:45am. Spoke w/Antonia **, stated nobody higher than him. Read the notes and nothing in there about writing off the balance.

I am responsible for residual interest on cash advance since account closed 9/24 3 days after due date. I wasn't charged anything for my purchase bal though, he stated I would not be charged a late fee because my balance due is less than their minimum payment, HE WILL NOT ADJUST. Even though 2 previous supervisors said they would. He stated in the noted it only stated $3 and some cents would be adjusted which made no sense, but I asked why isn't that adjusted then. He said he didn't know and NOTHING was going to be adjusted to my account, but rest assured I was not charged a late fee. I became irate and cussed and then he stated he no longer needed to speak with me. I hung up.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Highly recommend to not bank with PNC. Horrible Bank! Opened savings account online only to have my funds on hold for weeks and held hostage not having access to any of my money. Do not bank with PNC.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had given my savings account by accident to my rental portal instead of my checking account. I had called because the portal kept taking money and did a stop payment from everything from that company. Well, the first rep only did a stop payment for the rent amount and not everything that was supposed to come from that company! So the portal tried to take out a fee for $20 and that kept giving me NSF fees three times. When I called again the second rep stated the first rep didn't do a stop payment for everything! So he did but fees kept coming out and today when I called a manager at escalation he refused to understand and listen that the first rep didn't do the entire job like he was supposed to. Otherwise nothing should be allowed to come from the portal!

Those fees should be taken care of by PNC but he wouldn't listen and kept saying, "I'm sorry there isn't anything more I can do. I won't reimburse the NSF because you did call in twice before but it takes a few days from the actual date you put the stop payment through before the NSF is activated, sorry can't help you!" That is what he kept saying, said he understood but he just said that, they all say that but if he did he would have helped and he didn't. So because the first rep didn't do his job I have to pay for it? Thanks but no thanks... I can see why PNC only has a one star rating!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The phone customer service was exceptional. The associate showed empathy about any the wait time as a result of slow network issues. Nevertheless, I was charged an overdraft because I had inputted the information of my savings account instead of my checking entirely by mistake. I explained to them that I obviously had money in my checking account and that it obviously wasn't intentional yet, they rejected forgiving my fee because I had been forgiven before (more than a year ago) and that somehow barred me from getting more. These overdraft fees were never intentional and were a result of a school loan system that would continually change my account without permission and the business would not return the deducted amount. It's ridiculous what businesses are allowed to get away with nowadays!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Worst service! I used the PNC App and tried to pay my credit card. The App had a feature of “Pay my Bills”. I transferred the money and it took five days to send it. Then the PNC customer representative promised me that he would help me remove the late fee. Today when I checked my account. The late fee was not refunded. I called them. The representative named Austin (in the acceleration support team) told me he could not help and later hung up my phone call. Since PNC could not help, why did they say they would previously? I was shocked by Austin’s attitude because never had I met such a rude customer support!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I've been a "customer" of PNC for several years and I'm done at this point. Customer service is a joke and I'm tired of being nickel and dimed. I do my banking online through the PNC app and it's caused me overdraft charges due to latency of charges showing up and I noticed the last time and this time that dates of money going in and out have changed. Sure it's just negative a few dollars but PNC will charge you $30 something dollars on any amount overdrawn and then $7 until you can straighten it out. This bank is garbage, go anywhere but here.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I just opened a account with PNC. In the past my dad has endorsed check to me for bonuses and such. The 24th of October he endorsed another check to me and it was a higher amount than in the past. With that said I knew there would be a so many day hold on the check that in understandable. Now it has been past 14 days and all of a sudden I'm told the check will not be available to me so I call my father. Upset he reaches out to issuing bank that informs him the check had been paid for over a week now. I contacted PNC they have no answers for me. Just keeps repeating they believe the funds will not be paid. YES my friend they will and have already been paid to PNC. Where is my money? Now I'm told it will take 30 days to look into. What kind of scam is PNC on?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

When calling in a complaint about a local branch I asked for a return call from the District Manager instead of the Branch Manager. They absolutely refused to tell me who it was and would not guarantee a return call from the District Manager. I was told that was "strict" company policy. Any complaints I had could only be handled locally. She wouldn't even forward my complaint to the District Manager only the Branch. Which makes zero sense because that is where the problem stems from. That’s like the fox guarding the hen house.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have been an account holder for years since PNC took over RBC with whom I had been a long-term customer. I have personal and business accounts. Last month the bank canceled my 2 business accounts and personal account without notice. This caused numerous recurring payments to bounce and prevented me from accessing cash while traveling in Mexico, during the week it happened. Upon return, I was advised that my accounts were closed because the bank was missing information regarding my citizenship (I am a green card holder) and I needed to take various pieces of ID to the local branch. Which I did. After an hour with the local rep, and him on the phone with HQ, it was determined that they did, in fact, have all the ID on file and that the accounts should not have been closed in the first place!

I was advised that the total amount of funds (approx $50k) were being sent to me via cashier's checks and that I could redeposit them after I received them. 2 days later, while back in the branch the rep came to me to say the checks had NOT been sent at all, but that the funds had been restored into my account. Evidently, they had no idea where the money was, let alone what they were doing. The local rep did advise that he would request a refund of the charges I incurred for the bounced payments. This remains to be seen. I also am concerned that my personal credit history will be affected by this. Regardless, not only was I put in a difficult position while traveling with no access to cash, I have spent several hours of my time sorting out a mess that was theirs to start with and should never have happened in the first place. This is inexcusable.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I needed to have a document notarize and found a PNC bank near me in Hazel Park Michigan near 9 mile and Michigan blvd, every other time I needed a document notarized I always went to the closest bank to me and no problem. But PNC must have a policy that they will refuse services to anyone that does not bank with them, not the best way to make new customers. I don't think they would have even given me change for a dollar. Feel bad for customers of PNC bank, they can’t even treat people like human beings. Hate to have them taking care of my money.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

PNC Online banking has been difficult to work with. They have made two major mistakes on our bill pay account in the past year. One typographical error, one penny short, caused us to have our health insurance cancelled for three months in arrears. We had no idea we did not have health insurance, all because of a one penny error. On another occasion, our credit card payment was paid by PNC Online Banking. We received a confirmation that the check was issued and sent two days before the due date. Received our next statement and found out that the credit card company never received the check and assessed us interest fees. We always pay our bill in full every month. When I asked if PNC would stop payment on the missing check, I was told they were not responsible.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I've been a customer for 10+ years, but due to some recent major problems, I am now taking steps to close my account for good. The first problem: I fell on hard times this January because I did not get paid that month, so I bounced some checks. I got charged fees, which is understandable. However, I had a hard time paying back the fees, so it led to Continuous OD charges that added up fast. I ended up losing over $200 in fees because of this. When I finally got paid, what I owed plus the fees came out. Since this, it's been a long uphill battle of trying to catch up: I keep falling short, overdrawing, and then get charged even more fees. According to my last statement, I have amassed over $900 worth of OD and COD fees this year. That is not counting returned check fees or stop payment fees.

I tried to discuss this with PNC multiple times, but they keep giving me the run-around. They suggest features that have NOTHING to do with my situation ("have you considered paying your bills through online banking?") or tell me to sign up for OD protection - which I can't do because I don't have the money for a savings account, and they won't approve me for the credit card. I even signed up for an escalation and the guy that was supposed to call me asked for my availability - then proceeded to completely ignore it and called when I wasn't available.

The second problem: a payday loan company I did business within the past randomly deducted over $600 from my account. I only learned about this when I got a text message alert about it. I called - which is what they say you are supposed to do - and the CSR basically told me that I had to wait until it was cleared to dispute it, which could take days. I later was told by a lawyer that I have the right to revoke ACH permission to that company, so I chatted with a CSR online to talk about it. Surprise surprise, she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about and basically said that I can't stop people from yanking money out of my account. That was the last straw. I'm taking steps to close my account with PNC and I will be taking my business elsewhere. They have let me down for the last time. We are done.

PNC Bank Company Information