PNC Bank

PNC Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: July 15, 2019

I applied for a home equity line of credit. I submitted the required documents. On the 9th of July, 2019, I signed the final document at local branch of PNC. At that time I was told, I had to wait the 3 day required time. This I understood. After the 3 days, money was not deposited into my account. Upon contacting the loan department in Pittsburgh, I was told the money wasn't available yet because I didn't request that I needed the money immediately. I've never heard of this practice. After numerous phone calls and talking to numerous personnel, I was told "booking" wasn't completed yet.

To this date, I don't know when money will be deposited. One fella at Loan Department was very rude, I have his name and will let PNC know who it is. I WILL NEVER APPLY FOR A LOAN AT PNC, AND LET ANYONE I KNOW HOW I'VE BEEN TREATED. My daughter is going for a mortgage for a new home and after what I've been through, she will not consider going to PNC. Local branch was helpful, but once application went to Loan Center, and all my information was obtained and I was approved, they didn't care anymore. Anyone interested in obtaining a loan, do not go to PNC.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Avoid this bank. Customer service sucks. Their systems don’t update like they should. They keep moving money from my reserve account when clearly there’s enough money in checking but since they use some outdated systems it never reflects the right amount.

Original review: July 9, 2019

After two reps and 40 minute wait, “money manager” could care less that I’ve been a customer for 50 years at various PNC predecessors and since their takeover. Asked him to waive a $36 overdraft fee on an account I usually diligently monitor, because I overlooked one check my wife wrote. Asked as a courtesy, but all he quoted robotically was that it was a “correct” charge by the bank. I guess they are not making enough on their investments, so need to squeeze us. Sad to see real personal service forgotten. Another issue: convenient branches are disappearing, and hours curtailed. Time to find a bank with more heart, if that is at all possible.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Worst customer service ever. I attempted to pay on my home equity line in the bank and the teller could not figure out how to make that happen. I then attempted to do so by phone, again no one could figure out how to make the payment happen. Time for me to move on and find a bank that actually wants me as a customer and will provide customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2019

From day one, the entire mortgage process was horrible. They don't value you as a customer. They made me jump through so many hoops and so much red tape. I should have been on their payroll. I was putting in so many hours photocopying documents and paying to fax and mail document after document. The mortgage loan officer was not helpful, and showed no concern to my struggle. After getting the mortgage they were late paying my property taxes, and their website is a black hole. You cannot find a log in portal for your mortgage and their customer service is beyond useless. There may as well be untrained 5 year olds staffing their customer service line.

What's even worse, is that I recently suffered damage to my home from a nasty hail storm. I need a new roof and siding and some other things. While my insurance company was fantastic (I had a check in my hands in less than 24 hours), PNC was and still is the biggest waste of money invested on the planet; like I said it is a black hole--you put a ton of effort in and nothing ever comes out. I had to call 5 times to get someone to tell me how to get someone to sign my check. I had to pay 30 dollars to mail them a bunch of paperwork, including the check that was supposed to pay for my contractor to start repairing my home. They had my check in their possession for 1 month and 8 days and they kept telling me that they couldn't pay the contractor.

I made a dozen calls to PNC regarding this, and they would immediately put me on hold for 10 minutes, and kept asking me for my phone number and email and address! My phone number and email and address have not changed in the last 10 minutes! Each person I talked to sounded more miserable than the last. They showed no concern or empathy, and they really didn't have any desire to do anything but put me on hold and tell me to go on their website. I needed them to give me my money so I could pay the contractor to fix my house, and nobody could help me. They kept my money until I contacted the Better Business Bureau!

Once I filed a complaint they screwed up even more! Not only did they lie to me and tell me that they were sending me the check, but they sent 100% of the funds to the contractor!!! I mean, come on! Now I have absolutely NO assurance that they will even fix my house, or that they will do it right, or in a timely fashion because they have ALL THE MONEY UP FRONT! They could just skip town if they wanted to! PNC is a pathetic company. They are disorganized and they have no right to even be in business. They treat their PAYING CUSTOMERS like lower than scum on the bottom of their shoes and I am refinancing with another creditor as soon as my house is fixed--if they even fix it now that the contractor has all my money!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I like PNC Bank but their mobile banking app is the worst!! It is down about 50% of the time I go to use it. Constantly getting the "Out of Service" banner when I go to log in! Frustrating! It's time for PNC to figure out the problems and get with the modern age!!

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had opened an account with them and was suppose to have my SS sent to my new checking account. (I was moving to Florida and the bank I was using had no branches in Florida.) The paperwork for the SS was never sent in and so this never happened. I got charged and charged for breaking their rules" out of their Corporative neglect and mistake. I went into the bank to talk with the manager. She looked at the papers, asked to see my card and shredded it. Then looked up and said, “Now you don’t have an account.” I had deposited $500 in this account. $100 only for the checking and the rest for this Statement saving and according to them I also had a reserve checking account without an checking number or checks.

When I moved down to Florida I went into a PNC to find my statement savings since my online banking was turned off. According to the Branch there was no account in my name and they were going to call the Sheriff for me trying to hold up the bank. I was in a state of shock. I had no proof of the account and now they wanted to arrest me? I left and used the phone. They said I was harassing calling them to ask where my money is. I did not abandon the money or the account since I was calling, they followed a loophole in the law stating that since I showed no activity (I didn't have the accounts or numbers) they turned the money over to the PA State Unclaimed Property.

Finally when I called they admitted they had the money in the account and they closed it. They stole my money. The Law is if the money is not claimed the State sends it back after so many year and PNC get the money. I filed to get it back But I was told now it's going to take 17-20 weeks before I get the money back. The bank stole my money, abused me as a senior, extorted me, charged me with fees which they caused not me. And when I moved to Florida and tried to get my money it became an interstate scam.

Original review: June 23, 2019

Stay away from this or any PNC Bank credit card. They won't post your payments, don't matter how many times you call, so they can charge late fees. Just closed my credit card account today. They will scam you and take your money. Solange **

Original review: June 20, 2019

A representative of this bank came in to my job`s orientation, offering $200.00 free to open an account, with nice details. I was wrong to assume this would get better as I listened. I already have a bank account with another bank and have for many years. I have no outstanding car loans, live in a paid for house and have a driver's license to match. My job had to have a decision on approval of me, or not, with PNC Bank before I could go to work, in terms of how I was paid. I had to repeatedly call the bank until I found out in the 2nd day near close of business. I also don't have any outstanding loans. I've had 2 overdraft totals in 18 months, both just under $10.00. One of those being at the same timing from my own bank as I was trying to get approved for PNC, and was denied. I was zonked with being told that I was denied an account. Don't do business with them is my advice.

Original review: June 14, 2019

PNC has give me the run around about getting my money back from the ATM. I deposited 700 dollars into an ATM to be preloaded to my smart access card and it continuously was counting my money and didn’t deposit but continue counting and read error and spit my card out so I then went inside and manager told me where it was an smart access I would have to file dispute and I did then I received letter that said no transaction made or record of, then I re-did my dispute because money still wasn’t in hand. So I ask to see cameras and they said dispute people looks at those. I still don’t have my 700 and either someone else pocket it or ATM service guy is a crook. My next step is a lawyer and a police report because being the amount is consider a felony charge. And something needs to be done.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I made the mistake of over drafting a couple of dollars. As I went through my day I made 4 transactions. 144 dollars was charged in fees. As someone who lives off 8 dollars an hour, avoid this bank. Going to be great to not eat this week... Heartless people.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Employees seem to be lacking a lot of intelligence. Also it is not recommended for foreign investors to open bank account there. They are discriminating against foreigners. They will get in trouble with Security and Exchange Commission.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had some money in my account and PNC Bank took my money. I’m going through a financial situation and they took more than the monthly fee. Usually a bank takes a 1.00 from your account but no PNC Bank took all my money. Never again will I ever deal with this bank again.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I have had issues with them before but not quite this bad. My husband pays my credit card bill by mail. It is set up to be paid monthly from his account to mine. They consistently get the check on Friday but do not credit my account until Monday. This results in finance charges when not paid on time. Apparently they can’t credit my account on a Saturday or Sunday? Ok, if that’s not enough, they have no way of knowing when a check comes in the mail. If the bill is not with it they apparently send it back. They have no system to tell what money comes in when. I have spoke to about 12 different people this week and received 12 different answers. They have been trained to lie instead of finding an answer. This was the last straw. I will be changing banks. If I can’t trust them to tell the truth, why would I trust them with my money?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have been a customer for over 15 years with PNC. A while back I was dating a man that said "come on my account, if anything happens to me you can get money out". I asked PNC to remove me from that account. Their policy is unless some is deceased names can’t be removed. I had an account with them all by myself as well where my work checks went into. Needless to say yesterday PNC took the 3700.00 I had in my account to cover overdrawn fees in my ex's account. They refused to do anything about this and when I called my ex he said he reported the debit card stolen, which PNC refused to do anything about. All that money in my account was for my rent, my bills and food. And they didn’t give a crap. The account was not in my ex's name. This is the worst bank ever and I hope they get run out of business. They could care less the hardship they have caused me. Don’t bank with PNC Bank. This is how they treat their customers.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Customer service people are not helpful. Very young, rude and slow. This bank said my account was hacked but never notified me that I needed to update my online banking username/ password. One 5/28, I tried to log into my online banking. I was unable to log in. I bounced around to 3 different customer service reps to finally learn that my account had been locked on May 6th. At one point, the customer service woman told me I had received an email about the account being locked, which I had not. I searched my inbox to confirm. No emails from PNC. If my account is hacked or there is an attempt to hack my account, I would want to know immediately, not 22 days later when I am unable to log into online banking! Overall, I think the communications are very poor and this bank is not well organized. I would not recommend PNC.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I’ve had an account with PNC for ten years, never had any issues, until now. My social security number was stolen and someone ruined my credit. I thought my money was safe in my bank. I even alerted them to the issue. Incorrect, they allowed a company that buys out collections, even after they were removed from your credit report and records to clean out my entire account. As if that’s not bad enough, they let them do it on the Saturday before Memorial Day... so I can’t even speak to anyone for three days. I can’t get gas or food or anything else I need because of a scam that this bank allowed. I have no idea how this is legal.

Original review: May 26, 2019

We have had a Commercial Loan for 15 year. I would never recommend or borrow from this bank again. It is the WORST lending institution I have ever dealt with. A red flag should have gone up when the Loan Officer was 20 minutes late for the appointment to finalize the loan. The Teller was extremely rude and act as if we were an imposition after we had driven 30 miles to a branch because we had to change our address and they required that a fax be sent... ON A DIAL IN FAX MACHINE (who has those). The never-ending automated phone system is a hassle to use just to get a payoff statement sent. We close on the sale of the building and our loan will be paid off Friday, can't wait. I will NEVER do business with PNC again, no matter how low their lending rates sink.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Although I've been happy with the bank I currently use for my checking account (Regions), I'm in the process of moving to a different state where my current bank does not have any branches. So, I opened a checking account with PNC, and funded it with a check drawn from my existing account. The check cleared on the following day, May 23. My employer requires a voided check in order to transfer my direct deposit to the new PNC account.

On May 25, I went to the local PNC branch to get a convenience check printed, and was told that my account was on hold since Regions had declined the funding check (which I knew had cleared days ago). I went to the Regions branch right across the street, got printed proof that the check had cleared, and took it back to PNC. The manager said, "Oh, sorry about that. No problem, let me call our hold department to clear it up." A minute later she came back and said, "sorry, they only work Monday thru Friday, so we cannot fix this until after Memorial Day." At that point I told her not to worry about it, that it was my fault for opening an account with the wrong bank, and I would close it. A waste of time.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I did open account with PNC Bank and they offer me a credit card with 0% interest. When I looked at my bill statement it was a charge. Was waiting for answer for month, finally some ** called me and refused to open me 0% rate cc. I'm never going to be customer for this institution. Scammers, liars, not bankers.

Original review: May 24, 2019

This has been the most horrible experience I’ve experienced in quite a while. I set up an account online. Nowhere that I saw on the website did it say it was going to be $25 so I didn’t expect that to come out but OK that’s fine. So I set aside time on my day off Saturday to go to the bank to sign to get my card and I waited an hour! After waiting an hour, I signed all of the paperwork and left. Fast forward 5 days later and there’s still a hold on my account. I called customer service and they told me that the lady at the branch didn’t fax over the paperwork and that is why my $25 that I deposited is still on hold and that I would have to go BACK to the bank and sign for the card again.

Then after being on the phone with customers service for an hour they told me that it would cost $25 to close my account and they kept me on hold for an hour just to tell me that. This is the most horrible experience in an organized company I have ever dealt with. I do not recommend them whatsoever. If you are looking to open up a new checking account try Bank of America, Fifth Third Bank or even Michigan First but I do not recommend PNC! Now because of THEIR mistake I will not be able to receive my paycheck.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Tree fell through our house over six weeks ago. AAA Insurance took ten days to get money to us. PNC, as the mortgage holder, now has our money. Four weeks of calling DAILY, we still have no money. Every document sent in is wrong. They have never contacted us to help us get the required information. I can prove that they are just stringing us along. Documents that they have refused are now OK. Others that they have accepted are now wrong. Worst Mortgage company that I have ever dealt with. Will never do business with again. Consumer BEWARE of what you sign with this company. They claim to be protecting you as a customer but their process makes no sense. Have already spent $22000 of own money stabilizing home and they just informed us that they can't accept Contractors W-9 because they can't tell if he wrote 2018 or 2019. These people are insane!

Original review: May 22, 2019

I recently requested to close the escrow account on my home loan - that process was a cluster. When I finally got approved, they wanted to charge a 2.5% closure fee. What a joke... Now looking to refinance with another lender. Avoid PNC like the plague.

Original review: May 21, 2019

1. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME CHECKING YOUR BALANCE ON MOBILE APP. It doesn't accurately reflect your balance, either at the time of transactions, the next day or even after the transactions post. I paid 3 bills online after the 10 pm cutoff of the banking day, around 10:30 pm. The initial debits showed. By the next day (the same bank day as the 3 debits), the debits disappeared, leaving me to think that they didn't go through. One of the payments had to be done by 11:59 pm, the day I paid it. I called customer service, who could only say that they didn't see the transactions. They accelerated my situation. I was told that someone would call within 24 to 48 business hours. It was Friday, leaving me wondering about the account all weekend.

The charges finally came out the following Monday. By Tuesday afternoon (1 hr short of 48 business hours), I called the bank back. Apparently the app is unreliable. I needed to go to the PNC website to get an accurate accounting. At the same time, it appeared that I was charged a bounce fee, even though I wasn't overdrawn. I checked into that issue that Tuesday.

This is what I was told. Say I swipe my card at a store. I only have $5 in the bank. The bill is $10. If I have overdraw protection (not the same as overdraw protection), the $10 debit charge will go through. I will be charged a "transaction fee" ($36 bounce fee). It may take a few days for the $10 to post. Meanwhile, if I don't deposit funds to cover the overage, other non-swipe transactions will go through, accumulating more bounce fees. If that $10 charge, which overdrew my account, goes through after the other transactions, the Bank won't charge me the initial bounce fee. There is 1 caveat. I won't get charged, but only if I opted out of the overdraw option. If I opted out, that initial transaction wouldn't have gone through. It stands to reason then, that I wouldn't get charged an overdraft fee. I wasn't overdrawn at the point of the failed overdrawal.

One more caveat. If the next transaction(s) were made as recurring charges, I wouldn't get the "overdraft fee" refund from the initial, denied, transaction. I guess not, in any case. It was denied. No overdraft fee. Then there's the recurring overdraft fee. I never did figure that out. Sometimes if the overdraft continues to the next day, they charge an additional $7 fee. Every day until it's cleared up. According to the customer service person, they can charge up to $36...a day. Plenty more. But I'm tired of carrying on. Think twice about signing up for this bank.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I started my small business 5 years ago and have used PNC Bank from the start. The Columbus Indiana branch on 25th street needs lessons on courtesy. Every single time I’ve had to deal with these rude people, I’ve left upset so between this issue and all the service charges just to have a business account, I’m just done! 3.00 just to check my balance from a business savings account. 5.00 to maintain said account. The list goes on and on. I have been to other branches and not had any problems as far as customer service and I don’t have many issues with the app. It’s a shame that one branch of rude customer service people can ruin it and so many service charges as well.

Original review: May 9, 2019

PNC wouldn’t refund my money due to me miscalculating money cause of their APP said. I had the money in my account. Now ya I understand if this happened every week to not refund something but I also understand customer satisfaction as well and I’m very unsatisfied. This doesn’t happen every week. As I’m normally good with math and calculating how much I have. Tired of the same issues every time with PNC taking an overdraft fee when I have money being refunded as is.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I would highly suggest using any other bank rather than PNC. I started a savings account to park money used periodically to fund CDs in another bank. Despite using the very same user ID and password as I use on two other banks the software at PNC repeatedly corrupted my password blocking my access. I repeatedly complained and there was zero improvement. Finally I got so frustrated that I called and asked to close my account. They were able to get me temporary access and I transferred all the money to another bank and thought they would honor my request to close the account.

They lied and did not and an outstanding transfer request came in that I was unable to cancel due to no access to the account and they tried to claim I overdrafted my account and wanted to charge me a $36 overdraft fee. When I called to complain that the account was supposed to be closed they tried to blame me. Btw it took 20 minutes before someone answered the phone another indication of their lack of customer service. They are unbelievabley arrogant and incompetent.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have had nothing but problems out of PNC, being called to tell me my car loan is on Collection and pending repossession, even though my parents were on time. Very rude customer service reps. And the most infuriating automatic answering service, that if someone doesn’t answer the phone in the first three rings it will hang up on you are you at spin five to ten minutes just to get the automated machine to understand what you want. I will never go back to this bank, this is just the most recent problem I have had with them. Type to get a refinance with a different bank.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My PayPal account was hacked and $10000 was stolen from my PNC checking. PayPal didn’t care. Called PNC and was told we’re such good customers they felt we’d just cover the loss! They’ll open a dispute of charge but no guarantee we get money back and it will take 10 days. I have no money for food or to pay bills or mortgage. They really didn’t care but are charging us overdraft fees by the second. They are evil.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been reliable PNC customer for the last 8 years. While I have had several complaints in the past, nothing has frustrated me to the point of writing a review. I have been living abroad for the last 8 months and traveling extensively. I have continually updated my account to approve such travel. However, three days ago, for no apparent reason, they 'red-flagged' my recent purchases and froze my cards without warning. I have repeatedly messaged their customer service agents to no avail and was finally told to use the chat or call directly.

I have been checking the chat roughly once every hour for the last two days and it is always closed. I only have a Spanish phone number and my plan does not permit international calls so I am unable to call PNC's help number. As they are a very limited, US based bank, there is no international call number. Because of this fiasco, I have been unable to purchase food and necessities and have been unable to book reservations for upcoming travel plans. If I could give PNC less than 1 star, I would.

PNC Bank Company Information