4.9/5 (32 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Monetary Gold

Monetary Gold is a direct precious metals dealer that can help you invest in gold, silver, platinum or palladium. It offers both cash purchases and self-directed gold and silver IRAs. Depository storage is available through Delaware Depository. You can contact Monetary Gold for a free coin guide, TSP guide or gold IRA guide to learn more.

Pros

• Free shipping for new clients
  • Offers gold and silver IRAs
  • Large selection of investments

Cons

• Not available on weekends or holidays
  • Prices not listed online

Bottom Line

Monetary Gold deals in precious metals. Clients enjoy perks like free shipping and access to workshops with trusted advisors. Customer service isn’t always available, but you can monitor your account online.

Top Monetary Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The three people who guided me through my investment are phenomenal. ... They made me feel at ease through the complete process. They answered every question I asked to my satisfa...

Verified

Monetary Gold's customer service is first class! Not only did they walk me through the process of setting up a precious metals IRA but they handled all of the paperwork and made t...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a precious metals dealer that specializes in gold and silver investment products, including rare, foreign, modern proof, bullion and semi-numismatic versions of mass-produced coins. Monetary Gold can also help you open a precious metals IRA and fund your account with IRS-approved precious metals.

Metal prices fluctuate depending on several factors, including their mintage, scarcity and demand. Be aware that proof coins usually have a premium beyond the value of their metal content, too. Some popular options (separated by class) include:

• Bullion coins: Gold Austrian Philharmonic, South African Krugerrand, gold Canadian Maple Leaf, gold and silver American Eagle and American Gold Buffalo coins
  • Rare U.S. coins: Saint Gaudens, Liberty and Indian gold coins
  • Foreign coins: Gold British Sovereign, German mark, Swiss franc, French franc Angel, french franc, Napoleon III franc, Italian lire and Belgium franc coins
  • Modern proof coins: Gold and silver American Eagle coin sets

Monetary Gold storage

Once you fund your IRA, Monetary Gold transfers the precious metals to the depository on your behalf.

• Shipping and delivery: Shipments are fully insured and require signatures upon arrival.
  • Storage: Metals are stored at Delaware Depository Service Company. This facility has high-security vaults, monitored security devices and redundant alarms.

Once the metals have been processed, inspected and insured, your IRA custodian is responsible for statements and holdings.

If you’re not using an IRA and you want your metals delivered to you, you can select from FedEx, USPS or UPS for shipping. This option costs a $30 flat fee.

Monetary Gold fees

With Monetary Gold, you pay $100 per year to store and insure up to $100,000 of gold. For accounts over $100,000, it costs $1 for every additional $1,000 of gold. For example, if you have $150,000 of gold, your annual fee would be $150.

Monetary Gold also requires a $5,000 to $10,000 minimum investment, depending on your choice of custodian.

Monetary Gold FAQ

Can I get a Monetary Gold IRA if I already have a retirement savings account?
Yes. You can have multiple retirement accounts, and Monetary Gold can help you roll over your 401(k) or 403(b) into a precious metals IRA without incurring penalties or taxes. Transfers are available for traditional, Roth or SEP IRAs as well.
How long does it take to set up an IRA with Monetary Gold?
It takes Monetary Gold about two to three days to open a gold IRA account after processing begins.
What metals can I include in my Monetary Gold IRA?
You can have gold, silver, platinum and palladium in an IRA with Monetary Gold.
Is there a minimum investment to open a Monetary Gold IRA?
Depending on the custodian you choose, the required minimum investment amount is between $5,000 and $10,000.
Where is the Monetary Gold headquarters located?
Monetary Gold is headquartered in Woodland Hills, California.

Do we recommend Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a viable option if you’re interested in investing in precious metals, but it doesn’t have much that makes it stand out from other gold IRA companies. Still, it may be worth learning more to see if it’s right for you. You can also take advantage of the company’s free workshops to learn more about how to invest in gold and other precious metals.

Monetary Gold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monetary Gold?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

How I wish we had originally signed up with Monetary Gold in the beginning instead of the company we went with; we would have ended up being so much better off!! MG has kept reaching out to us, helping us, which hasn't been very easy because of our difficult situation. We really appreciate all their help and suggestions in getting our investment out of where it was and over to them. Very happy with them!

Hi Jerry,

I'm so sorry about the issues that you had with the other company. I'm glad we were able to help get things worked out. Welcome to the Monetary Gold Family. We'll periodically keep in touch to give you an update on how the markets are and how you're doing. Thank you again for the great review.

Mark

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2022

First I would like to thank Jonathan ** & his staff being patience, professional, Informing how the Precious Metals Industry works and walking me through with courtesy. Definitely will be telling my friends, coworker & family about Monetary Gold Company. Easy investment service. Little upset I didn't do this earlier, you hear about investing strategies all the time however it's never too late to start. Thank you Mr. **!!!

Hi Roy,

Thank you for the kind review. I will pass this on to Jonathon. As you said, it's always good to get started early, but it's better to get started than to not get started at all. It's pleasure to have you in the Monetary Gold Family. We'll keep you posted with updates and look forward to a prosperous future.

Mark

Original review: April 14, 2022

If you are a first-time metals buyer like me, you might be overwhelmed for where to begin. Although I encourage you to do your due diligence, I would love to reassure you if you select Monetary Gold. Their record is perfectly clean, and their personnel reflect that with every communication. They are so well informed and excellent at explaining to someone who is a beginner. I intend to make more purchases through Monetary Gold, and look forward to their assisting me with my investments as well.

Hi Carol,

I am so glad to hear about your experience. That's exciting. As a first-time buyer, yes it can be scary treading into new territory, but I'm happy that everything worked out for you and that there will be more purchases in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Here's to a prosperous future!

Mark

Original review: March 23, 2022

When I first made contact there was some sales pressure and it came when I had a lot going on with Family and Work which caused me to push back on the schedule some. After Jonathan ** and I got together the transaction went smoothly. I feel Birch Gold/Strata group took advantage of me and poorly invented my assets and I feel Johnathan has my best interest based on several well perceived conversations. This is business so let's see how Monetary Gold performs going forward.

Hi James,

Thank you for the kind review and rating. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Birch/Strata. I'm pleased to hear that we did better. I look forward to a long prosperous relationship. Any questions and we're here to answer them for you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I recently rolled over a portion of my 401K with Monetary Gold to invest in precious metals. This is the first experience I've had with this type of investment. Jonathan ** and Andrea ** were both very professional and provided information that allowed me to research in advance of our meeting. They were both very thorough in providing, and explaining, the process and the required documents, answering my questions with knowledge and clarity. Recommendations were presented that were best suited to my situation. Never did I feel pressured. The customer service provided was exemplary.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. What a pleasure it was working with you. We welcome you to the Monetary Gold family and look forward to a long vibrant relationship.

Thank you again for the wonderful review.

Mark

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

The service has been very informative as I learn about the system and how it all works. The people I have been working with has been helpful and informative. I believe I have found a good company to work with.

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Welcome to the Monetary Gold Family. We will stay in touch and keep you update.

Thanks,

Mark

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

I had been working with another company in reference to transferring my 401 over to Gold/Silver. When Jonathan ** contacted me and educated me on Monetary's offers as well as education in general, I immediately switched to him. I could not believe how on top of my account he was. It was about a 4-day adventure with him whereas with the other company it was well over a month and the transfer was still not completed, I would recommend him and this company to everyone.

Hi Virginia,

I'm so sorry to hear about the issues with the other company. I'm glad that together we got them worked out and got you on the right track. Thank you for the great review.

Mark

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

My experience with Monetary Gold was outstanding. Their representatives were very personable, knowledgeable, and helpful. All the transactions were clearly explained and they made sure I understood all the procedures completely before the transactions were completed. I would recommend Monetary Gold.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

I worked with Di ** on my purchase. She is extremely knowledgeable and took her time to explain how my investment will work. I would recommend her to anybody interested in this type of investment. I am very excited to see how this will work for me.

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for the great review. I will let Di know of the compliment you gave her. Here is to a long prosperous relationship.

Sincerely,

Mark

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I have never been more impressed with a company. Their reputation and employees are among the best! I would recommend them to anyone who is serious about Prescious Metals. Their knowledge of product was excellent and their willingness to help and explain the details were beyond measure. I am very pleased to have found them and am very happy with my experience! I am looking forward to a long and prosperous time with them.

Monetary Gold Company Information