4.9/5 (31 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Monetary Gold

Monetary Gold is a direct precious metals dealer that can help you invest in gold, silver, platinum or palladium. It offers both cash purchases and self-directed gold and silver IRAs. Depository storage is available through Delaware Depository. You can contact Monetary Gold for a free coin guide, TSP guide or gold IRA guide to learn more.

Pros

• Free shipping for new clients
  • Offers gold and silver IRAs
  • Large selection of investments

Cons

• Not available on weekends or holidays
  • Prices not listed online

Bottom Line

Monetary Gold deals in precious metals. Clients enjoy perks like free shipping and access to workshops with trusted advisors. Customer service isn’t always available, but you can monitor your account online.

Top Monetary Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The three people who guided me through my investment are phenomenal. ... They made me feel at ease through the complete process. They answered every question I asked to my satisfa...

Verified

Monetary Gold's customer service is first class! Not only did they walk me through the process of setting up a precious metals IRA but they handled all of the paperwork and made t...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a precious metals dealer that specializes in gold and silver investment products, including rare, foreign, modern proof, bullion and semi-numismatic versions of mass-produced coins. Monetary Gold can also help you open a precious metals IRA and fund your account with IRS-approved precious metals.

Metal prices fluctuate depending on several factors, including their mintage, scarcity and demand. Be aware that proof coins usually have a premium beyond the value of their metal content, too. Some popular options (separated by class) include:

• Bullion coins: Gold Austrian Philharmonic, South African Krugerrand, gold Canadian Maple Leaf, gold and silver American Eagle and American Gold Buffalo coins
  • Rare U.S. coins: Saint Gaudens, Liberty and Indian gold coins
  • Foreign coins: Gold British Sovereign, German mark, Swiss franc, French franc Angel, french franc, Napoleon III franc, Italian lire and Belgium franc coins
  • Modern proof coins: Gold and silver American Eagle coin sets

Monetary Gold storage

Once you fund your IRA, Monetary Gold transfers the precious metals to the depository on your behalf.

• Shipping and delivery: Shipments are fully insured and require signatures upon arrival.
  • Storage: Metals are stored at Delaware Depository Service Company. This facility has high-security vaults, monitored security devices and redundant alarms.

Once the metals have been processed, inspected and insured, your IRA custodian is responsible for statements and holdings.

If you’re not using an IRA and you want your metals delivered to you, you can select from FedEx, USPS or UPS for shipping. This option costs a $30 flat fee.

Monetary Gold fees

With Monetary Gold, you pay $100 per year to store and insure up to $100,000 of gold. For accounts over $100,000, it costs $1 for every additional $1,000 of gold. For example, if you have $150,000 of gold, your annual fee would be $150.

Monetary Gold also requires a $5,000 to $10,000 minimum investment, depending on your choice of custodian.

Monetary Gold FAQ

Can I get a Monetary Gold IRA if I already have a retirement savings account?
Yes. You can have multiple retirement accounts, and Monetary Gold can help you roll over your 401(k) or 403(b) into a precious metals IRA without incurring penalties or taxes. Transfers are available for traditional, Roth or SEP IRAs as well.
How long does it take to set up an IRA with Monetary Gold?
It takes Monetary Gold about two to three days to open a gold IRA account after processing begins.
What metals can I include in my Monetary Gold IRA?
You can have gold, silver, platinum and palladium in an IRA with Monetary Gold.
Is there a minimum investment to open a Monetary Gold IRA?
Depending on the custodian you choose, the required minimum investment amount is between $5,000 and $10,000.
Where is the Monetary Gold headquarters located?
Monetary Gold is headquartered in Woodland Hills, California.

Do we recommend Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a viable option if you’re interested in investing in precious metals, but it doesn’t have much that makes it stand out from other gold IRA companies. Still, it may be worth learning more to see if it’s right for you. You can also take advantage of the company’s free workshops to learn more about how to invest in gold and other precious metals.

Monetary Gold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monetary Gold?

Original review: April 14, 2022

If you are a first-time metals buyer like me, you might be overwhelmed for where to begin. Although I encourage you to do your due diligence, I would love to reassure you if you select Monetary Gold. Their record is perfectly clean, and their personnel reflect that with every communication. They are so well informed and excellent at explaining to someone who is a beginner. I intend to make more purchases through Monetary Gold, and look forward to their assisting me with my investments as well.

Hi Carol,

I am so glad to hear about your experience. That's exciting. As a first-time buyer, yes it can be scary treading into new territory, but I'm happy that everything worked out for you and that there will be more purchases in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Here's to a prosperous future!

Mark

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I recently rolled over a portion of my 401K with Monetary Gold to invest in precious metals. This is the first experience I've had with this type of investment. Jonathan ** and Andrea ** were both very professional and provided information that allowed me to research in advance of our meeting. They were both very thorough in providing, and explaining, the process and the required documents, answering my questions with knowledge and clarity. Recommendations were presented that were best suited to my situation. Never did I feel pressured. The customer service provided was exemplary.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. What a pleasure it was working with you. We welcome you to the Monetary Gold family and look forward to a long vibrant relationship.

Thank you again for the wonderful review.

Mark

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

We were looking for the right place to put our IRA that would hopefully be a shelter in a storm. In each conversation with Brandon, the senior account executive at Monetary Gold, we had a growing sense that we had found the right harbor. At no time was any pressure put on us so that we would feel rushed into a decision. It was a matter of his gracious presence, broad knowledge of the world of finance, and genuine interest in our well-being whatever we might decide to do. He invited us to explore with him, ask any questions, and naturally we did look at options with other institutions. But we always felt at peace with his competence, openness, and true respect for our desire to discover the right path for us. With his good-natured and easygoing accompaniment, we were led over a period of time to open an account with Monetary Gold. We are glad and at peace about it. Kathleen M.

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for such a great review and thank you for sharing the details. That was really nice. We look forward to a long prosperous relationship.

Sincerely,

Mark

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

For what seems like much of my adult life, I have been a collector of precious metals in bullion form. But with uncertain governmental monetary policy stalking sound money practice, I had become increasingly less certain that my financial preparations were safe and sufficient for future needs for my family. So I began a search for a source to guide me through the minefield of competitive money sharks and gurus.

Believing that prayer helps, I asked to find the right guidance. online I came upon Monetary Gold (BBB rated A+). Subsequent conversations with Nicholas ** were encouraging. His patience and knowledge was the education I needed to gain trust again to move forward in my financial affairs from Bullion to Privacy Metals. Nicholas is the steady hand I needed on my shoulder. He keeps his word and delivers as promised always. Now my wife and I are satisfied as we begin our long term relationship with Nicholas and Monetary Gold.

Kenneth,

That is just stunning to read those words. We thank and appreciate you. We'll keep you updated as the markets move.

Welcome to the family,

Mark

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

My experience with Monetary Gold has been great. Dealing with Mr. ** has been a pleasure. We talked on the phone several times before, during and after the transactions. He has always been very informative and sent me some very informational reports. He has also called to see how my wife and I are doing once he became aware of an illness in the family. He is very pleasant and easy to talk to. So far I moved over an IRA and made two purchases of physical metal which came really quickly. I recommend Monetary Gold and I will continue to do business with them.

Carlos,

Thank you for such great words. We are happy to welcome you into the Monetary Gold family and look forward to a long relationship. We wish you all the best of success.

Original review: May 5, 2022

First I would like to thank Jonathan ** & his staff being patience, professional, Informing how the Precious Metals Industry works and walking me through with courtesy. Definitely will be telling my friends, coworker & family about Monetary Gold Company. Easy investment service. Little upset I didn't do this earlier, you hear about investing strategies all the time however it's never too late to start. Thank you Mr. **!!!

Hi Roy,

Thank you for the kind review. I will pass this on to Jonathon. As you said, it's always good to get started early, but it's better to get started than to not get started at all. It's pleasure to have you in the Monetary Gold Family. We'll keep you posted with updates and look forward to a prosperous future.

Original review: May 5, 2022

Jonathan did a great job explaining and walking us through the precious metals purchase. He cares about his clients and takes a personal interest in making sure that their experience is meaningful and rewarding. We would and will recommend Jonathan ** and Monetary Gold to family and friends. Thank you Jonathan for being there when we needed a good representative to walk us through the process.

Hi George,

Thank you for sharing your experience and a great review. I will let Jonathan know of your experience working with us. We'll also keep you updated on the markets. Welcome to the Monetary Gold Family.

Mark

Original review: April 28, 2022

Monetary Gold is a great firm to do business with, they dot the I's and cross the Ts on everything with great attention to details. We highly recommend Monetary Gold to everyone, You will be very happy like we are.

Hi William,

Wow! What a great review. Thank you so much. We do try to cover all our bases. Thank you for the recommendation. That says a lot.

Once again thank you,

Mark

Original review: April 25, 2022

Overall great experience Jonathan D. The agent that helped me from start to finish (2 weeks) was excellent. He called and followed up. He explained the aspects to me and described the benefits of the different medals short vs long term.

HI Michael,

Thank you for the nice review. I'm so glad it was a good experience. Let me be the first to welcome you to the Monetary Gold family. We'll keep you updated and look forward to a prosperous future together.

Thanks,

Mark

Original review: April 19, 2022

Di contacted me after learning that my financial planner was not happy with my decision to invest in precious metals. She was very straightforward and helpful and answered all of my questions and the objections raised by my financial planner. It was a pleasant process.

Hi Donald,

Thank you for sharing. I know financial planners don't like it when they can't make commissions off of selling us financial products, but I think the preservation of the "time" that you traded for your money is more important. Welcome to the Monetary Gold Family and to a long prosperous relationship.

Monetary Gold Company Information