4.9/5 (38 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Monetary Gold

Monetary Gold is a direct precious metals dealer that can help you invest in gold, silver, platinum or palladium. It offers both cash purchases and self-directed gold and silver IRAs. Depository storage is available through Delaware Depository. You can contact Monetary Gold for a free coin guide, TSP guide or gold IRA guide to learn more.

Pros

• Free shipping for new clients
  • Offers gold and silver IRAs
  • Large selection of investments

Cons

• Not available on weekends or holidays
  • Prices not listed online

Bottom Line

Monetary Gold deals in precious metals. Clients enjoy perks like free shipping and access to workshops with trusted advisors. Customer service isn’t always available, but you can monitor your account online.

Top Monetary Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The three people who guided me through my investment are phenomenal. ... They made me feel at ease through the complete process. They answered every question I asked to my satisfa...

Verified

Monetary Gold's customer service is first class! Not only did they walk me through the process of setting up a precious metals IRA but they handled all of the paperwork and made t...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a precious metals dealer that specializes in gold and silver investment products, including rare, foreign, modern proof, bullion and semi-numismatic versions of mass-produced coins. Monetary Gold can also help you open a precious metals IRA and fund your account with IRS-approved precious metals.

Metal prices fluctuate depending on several factors, including their mintage, scarcity and demand. Be aware that proof coins usually have a premium beyond the value of their metal content, too. Some popular options (separated by class) include:

• Bullion coins: Gold Austrian Philharmonic, South African Krugerrand, gold Canadian Maple Leaf, gold and silver American Eagle and American Gold Buffalo coins
  • Rare U.S. coins: Saint Gaudens, Liberty and Indian gold coins
  • Foreign coins: Gold British Sovereign, German mark, Swiss franc, French franc Angel, french franc, Napoleon III franc, Italian lire and Belgium franc coins
  • Modern proof coins: Gold and silver American Eagle coin sets

Monetary Gold storage

Once you fund your IRA, Monetary Gold transfers the precious metals to the depository on your behalf.

• Shipping and delivery: Shipments are fully insured and require signatures upon arrival.
  • Storage: Metals are stored at Delaware Depository Service Company. This facility has high-security vaults, monitored security devices and redundant alarms.

Once the metals have been processed, inspected and insured, your IRA custodian is responsible for statements and holdings.

If you’re not using an IRA and you want your metals delivered to you, you can select from FedEx, USPS or UPS for shipping. This option costs a $30 flat fee.

Monetary Gold fees

With Monetary Gold, you pay $100 per year to store and insure up to $100,000 of gold. For accounts over $100,000, it costs $1 for every additional $1,000 of gold. For example, if you have $150,000 of gold, your annual fee would be $150.

Monetary Gold also requires a $5,000 to $10,000 minimum investment, depending on your choice of custodian.

Monetary Gold FAQ

Can I get a Monetary Gold IRA if I already have a retirement savings account?
Yes. You can have multiple retirement accounts, and Monetary Gold can help you roll over your 401(k) or 403(b) into a precious metals IRA without incurring penalties or taxes. Transfers are available for traditional, Roth or SEP IRAs as well.
How long does it take to set up an IRA with Monetary Gold?
It takes Monetary Gold about two to three days to open a gold IRA account after processing begins.
What metals can I include in my Monetary Gold IRA?
You can have gold, silver, platinum and palladium in an IRA with Monetary Gold.
Is there a minimum investment to open a Monetary Gold IRA?
Depending on the custodian you choose, the required minimum investment amount is between $5,000 and $10,000.
Where is the Monetary Gold headquarters located?
Monetary Gold is headquartered in Woodland Hills, California.

Do we recommend Monetary Gold?

Monetary Gold is a viable option if you’re interested in investing in precious metals, but it doesn’t have much that makes it stand out from other gold IRA companies. Still, it may be worth learning more to see if it’s right for you. You can also take advantage of the company’s free workshops to learn more about how to invest in gold and other precious metals.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monetary Gold?

Original review: April 14, 2022

If you are a first-time metals buyer like me, you might be overwhelmed for where to begin. Although I encourage you to do your due diligence, I would love to reassure you if you select Monetary Gold. Their record is perfectly clean, and their personnel reflect that with every communication. They are so well informed and excellent at explaining to someone who is a beginner. I intend to make more purchases through Monetary Gold, and look forward to their assisting me with my investments as well.

Hi Carol,

I am so glad to hear about your experience. That's exciting. As a first-time buyer, yes it can be scary treading into new territory, but I'm happy that everything worked out for you and that there will be more purchases in the future.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Here's to a prosperous future!

Mark

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

I recently rolled over a portion of my 401K with Monetary Gold to invest in precious metals. This is the first experience I've had with this type of investment. Jonathan ** and Andrea ** were both very professional and provided information that allowed me to research in advance of our meeting. They were both very thorough in providing, and explaining, the process and the required documents, answering my questions with knowledge and clarity. Recommendations were presented that were best suited to my situation. Never did I feel pressured. The customer service provided was exemplary.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. What a pleasure it was working with you. We welcome you to the Monetary Gold family and look forward to a long vibrant relationship.

Thank you again for the wonderful review.

Mark

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

We were looking for the right place to put our IRA that would hopefully be a shelter in a storm. In each conversation with Brandon, the senior account executive at Monetary Gold, we had a growing sense that we had found the right harbor. At no time was any pressure put on us so that we would feel rushed into a decision. It was a matter of his gracious presence, broad knowledge of the world of finance, and genuine interest in our well-being whatever we might decide to do. He invited us to explore with him, ask any questions, and naturally we did look at options with other institutions. But we always felt at peace with his competence, openness, and true respect for our desire to discover the right path for us. With his good-natured and easygoing accompaniment, we were led over a period of time to open an account with Monetary Gold. We are glad and at peace about it. Kathleen M.

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for such a great review and thank you for sharing the details. That was really nice. We look forward to a long prosperous relationship.

Sincerely,

Mark

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

For what seems like much of my adult life, I have been a collector of precious metals in bullion form. But with uncertain governmental monetary policy stalking sound money practice, I had become increasingly less certain that my financial preparations were safe and sufficient for future needs for my family. So I began a search for a source to guide me through the minefield of competitive money sharks and gurus.

Believing that prayer helps, I asked to find the right guidance. online I came upon Monetary Gold (BBB rated A+). Subsequent conversations with Nicholas ** were encouraging. His patience and knowledge was the education I needed to gain trust again to move forward in my financial affairs from Bullion to Privacy Metals. Nicholas is the steady hand I needed on my shoulder. He keeps his word and delivers as promised always. Now my wife and I are satisfied as we begin our long term relationship with Nicholas and Monetary Gold.

Kenneth,

That is just stunning to read those words. We thank and appreciate you. We'll keep you updated as the markets move.

Welcome to the family,

Mark

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

My experience with Monetary Gold has been great. Dealing with Mr. ** has been a pleasure. We talked on the phone several times before, during and after the transactions. He has always been very informative and sent me some very informational reports. He has also called to see how my wife and I are doing once he became aware of an illness in the family. He is very pleasant and easy to talk to. So far I moved over an IRA and made two purchases of physical metal which came really quickly. I recommend Monetary Gold and I will continue to do business with them.

Carlos,

Thank you for such great words. We are happy to welcome you into the Monetary Gold family and look forward to a long relationship. We wish you all the best of success.

Mark

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I have never been more impressed with a company. Their reputation and employees are among the best! I would recommend them to anyone who is serious about Prescious Metals. Their knowledge of product was excellent and their willingness to help and explain the details were beyond measure. I am very pleased to have found them and am very happy with my experience! I am looking forward to a long and prosperous time with them.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Would definitely recommend and use this company again. Wonderful people to work with and wonderful customer service. They went above and beyond to help me and to make my experience a great one. They really know what they are talking about.

Original review: July 11, 2022

All personnel were very friendly and professional. I had many questions as this is my first time with this type of investment. The process and options were laid out in clear and easy to understand terms. I look forward to future business with Monetary Gold.

Monetary Gold response

Hi Joseph, Let me be the first to congratulate you on your purchase. That's a big step. Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm honored to have your review.

Resolution response: June 29, 2022

I was able to resolve my concerns working with MG and feel they were fair in making good on my investments and providing a more in depth explanation of how my money was invested. I would still recommend that anyone looking to invest in precious metals do their research and understand the process prior to investing. For me, upfront pricing would have would have helped with my decision and might have avoided this "misunderstanding".

Original review: June 28, 2022

I went through the entire investment process with Monetary Gold (MG) and it went great until I received my statement and realized it was 50% less than my investment. When I contacted MG they told me a line of lies as to why it was showing less and was actually worth what I paid so I asked them to sell metals, gold and Silver, and was then told that I would lose 40% of my investment if I sold now and that I should wait 4-5 years. Then I purchased the metals at retail and that they only pay wholesale when you go to sell the metals. This would mean that gold and silver prices would have to go up 40% just to break even.

When you move money from one IRA to another the value should remain the same less brokers fees and account creation fees, not 40% of your investment. Monetary Gold will take your money, they win you lose. Ask to read their RECITALS (agreement), the section on Arbitration and Confidentiality. It's designed so if you do go to Arbitration and win you are not able to share the outcome with other investors. It's a huge scam ripping off investors money and getting away with it.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Our advisor was very helpful and took the time to answer all our questions. He listened to our concerns and put together a plan that gave us what we were looking for. I am very happy that my wife and I did this and only wish that we had done it sooner. Our advisor got us the best price for our metals purchase.

Monetary Gold Company Information