2. Education
  3. Student Loans

Great Lakes Higher Education Corp.

Great Lakes Higher Education Corp.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.74/5

Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation and Affiliates is a non-profit corporation with more than 1,300 employees, all committed to changing lives for the better through higher education. We’re one of the country’s leading guarantors and servicers of student loans, serving millions of borrowers, the U.S. Department of Education, more than 6,000 schools, and 1,100 lenders nationwide. We provide support to make higher education accessible, the financial aid process simpler, and the possibility of paying for college real. We know student loans, inside and out.

Great Lakes Higher Education Corp. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Lakes Higher Education Corp.?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Lakes?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Very helpful knowledgeable staff. Kept me updated on every way to extend, save, waive or pay down loan. Easy payment remittance, kept me updated on balances, tax info. Made tax forms available and completed for accounting.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2020

I was overwhelmed by the student loan debt and how I could possibly pay it back. I had no income and was using up savings. Finally it came to light that I had some long-term medical issues that would prevent me from working in my chosen field. I qualified for Disability from Social Security. As a result, Nelnet took over the loan and then forgave it; I had to submit a copy of the disability determination letter from Social Security to get that dispensation. BTW I disliked the interface system for Great Lakes. It just wasn't very direct or timely.

Get buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

My loans were originally with the federal government before I consolidated with Great Lakes. The government was not a very welcoming experience because they didn't seem to work with me on any issues I had. Great Lakes is just the opposite. They are more customer friendly and flexible. I have nothing negative to say about the company.

Original review: May 12, 2020

My Great Lakes incorrectly coded the CARES act student loan forbearance to credit reporting agencies, therefore resulting in a greater than 10 point reduction in my credit score despite my account being in good standing. I contacted the company about this through their online portal and received a response in less than 24 hours. Their response communicated the error and clearly explained each action that will be taken to address, correct and reverse the issue. I am very pleased with the prompt customer service and communication on this matter.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Must know the long loan ID number to log in. Have to reference it every time. Clear and simple web page design. Payment notifications are timely. I am overall sickened by the interest rate for grad school loans. It is robbery and negatively influences people’s decision whether to purpose advanced degrees or not.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

They bug you before you graduate. I am not finished my degree and already getting letters, emails and phone calls before I finish. I do not think this is good practice for them to be doing to students. I have not secured a job yet.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I find the company to be helpful and they explain everything in detail until you fully understand. They are very polite and helpful to clients. They make the process easy and more manageable for the layman.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Great Lakes "higher education" is as fraudulent in their practices as a $3 bill. When their people walked me through an IDR application to defer payments, and everything was to (supposedly) their satisfaction, they denied my application demanding additional information that's completely irrelevant to the application. Then they proceeded to report me to the credit bureaus, destroying my credit. And without credit, my life is destroyed. So now, what have they accomplished? No Credit and no payment. Congratulations, scumbags.

Original review: May 15, 2020

Typical predatory loan servicer using the system to line their pockets. Borrowed from them for graduate school and have the privilege of paying them 1.5-2x what I borrowed. Want to pay a lot more than you borrowed? Choose Great Lakes and they will be sure to take advantage of your financial needs while attending higher education.

Original review: April 5, 2020

My experience with Great Lakes mirrors Mary from Brooklyn and I would be interested in joining a class action lawsuit against these gangsters. Great Lakes should immediately be removed from the US Department of Education list as an approved loan servicer. They hold themselves out as a 501(c)3 non-profit but clearly they do operate for a profit. They are without any guiding compass of ethical business practice.

Great Lakes Higher Education Corp. Company Information