1.07/5
Based on 57 reviews that contain star ratings

Albermarle, NC

58 First Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

So for the past two years, I've been seeing trumped ATM fees, 3, 4 & 5 times. But this ATM fee isn't from the ATM machine. It's been charged by First Citizens Bank. I firmly believe this problem is grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Before FCB took over at Guaranty bank I did a change of address, once again when it switched and my debit card along with pin number was sent to old address. Job sent direct deposit after closed account. FCB Did Not redirect funds back to my employment, instead they tell me they would send a check to only send it to old address again. I called several times, went into a branch to be told I have to wait for 3 months to get my funds. I worked hard for or for old address to return mail. They also refuse to cancel check. If I could rate this bank it will be 0!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My wife and myself both had accounts plus a joint account with G Bank. Then FCB took over. Several of the local banking locations closed making banking harder but still bearable. Then they sent out new debit cards or so they said. Of the 3 accounts we only received one debit card and for that one the pin never came as promised. Activated the new card and for 2 weeks it was refused for every transaction. Getting online access to the account with their new code refused to work several times until I finally got lucky I guess and I could finally match a new pin to the card.

Twice I called customer service and in total wasted over an hour and a half (wait times over 25 min) and all I got was a run around and NO help at all. For my wife to get her debit card she never received they want her to waste more time on the phone before they will mail it to her. We'll be transferring all accounts to the credit union as FCB has had their 3 strikes. They currently advertising on the radio about their customer service but in my experience it only services them and is the worst I have ever encountered.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

First Citizens took over the bank I have used for many years. During this time they never sent me nor my fiance our debit cards or account info on time which locked us from accessing our money. Then they screwed up nearly all auto deductions causing late fees. Then they reject withdrawals. I went to talk to the very rude tellers there and they denied everything. Then they wanted to charge me $7 to get a print of my transaction history. This place should be shut down. Do not use this bank.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was a recipient of a First Citizens gift card. I attempted to inquire the balance on the card and the website stated that the card was inactive. I do not believe that the card was ever used and it was within the expiration date. I attempted to call their Customer Service department and was totally unable to get access to the information on the account. I was asked the original purchaser. I was unsure of the purchaser. I was also asked the original balance. I did not have that information either. I am totally frustrated with their procedures to access the transactions on this account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

First Citizens bought out my bank’s loans from FDIC for pennies on the dollar in 2009 when banks were crumbling. Profiting millions. My loan was a construction loan that was complete but not converted to conventional loan yet. First Citizens refused to refinance the loan and would only keep it as a home equity loan that was closed to draw upon. Since it was a “home equity” loan in their status, it allowed them to apply balloon payment demands once the term hit. During this recession no banks were doing jumbo refinancing so First Citizens tried to steal my house from me because of the equity it had. This bank only wants your deposits and to use and suck the life out of anyone they can get. Since they’re based out of NC, no one in any branch has a clue what is going on or how to do anything. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I just opened my account & I'm already having issues. Money is there & then suddenly it's gone. I filed a dispute & nothing so far. Meanwhile the place that took my money is still charging the membership fee. Supposed to be once a month and they have taken it out twice this month. Don't hear anything from bank.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I reached out to First Citizens customer service due to a charge on my account of $** when it should have been $**! I spoke with Janet and she informed me that there was nothing she could do and that I would need the merchant that made the error to call in and resolve the issue. I am appalled that this is supposed to be MY bank and they should resolve issues concerning MY money for me, not allowing a third party to take the responsibility of making a phone call. This payment could have been easily voided or stopped and I would have access to my funds but neither Janet or her supervisor Avery were willing to do anything other than tell me to have the merchant call back on Monday.

What if I need my money now, an emergency situation or I could be leaving to go on vacation, and I have no access to my funds? Thankfully this is not the case, but it could easily have been. First Citizens doesn't care about their customers and their policies are not designed in a way that is helpful to their customers. Please avoid going through what I have had to go through and don't open an unsecure account with this bank. It's not worth the headache!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I called on April 16, requested my accounts closed. The agent told me exactly what I needed to do. I followed the instructions and sent memo. They received my letter, but decided my signature wasn't good enough and wanted a notarized signature. I don't have a problem with this, except they failed to inform me and locked my accounts. It's now June 4, and I still can't get into my accounts, because they have a certain form they want notarized now. They refused to give me access to any of my money in my accounts. They keep charging me fees every month as they take money out of my account, but locks me out! I hate this bank!!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been a member with First Citizens Bank since 2006, when I was in high school. I got my first auto loan through them, co-signing with a parent since I had no credit history. Even with a co-signer, the interest was 14% for an auto loan. I went to college and used the account often, having both a debit and credit card. Throughout college and after, I had a couple high-interest personal loans that I paid off. I also had another auto loan through them, around 10% interest that I got by myself. I maxed out my credit card during college, but paid it off once I graduated. I have EXCELLENT pay history, never delinquent on payments. I paid all personal loans off, all car loans off early, and brought my credit card back to $0.00 balance.

Since then, I have applied for a small personal loan, as well as a credit line increase. I tried this multiple times over the course of two years, getting denied every time. Their reason for denying me has always been debt/income ratio. I can't help that I have student loans from college. First Citizens completely ignores my payoff history, as well as my promptness in payments every month. I have great credit as well, which apparently does not matter to them. I have already deactivated my debit and credit card with them and will close both my checking and savings account as well. I am disappointed that my history with them means nothing, when applying for new loans or small credit increases. I am taking my business to SECU.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have had a checking account with First Citizens Bank since 1991. Today I was told by the local branch supervisor that because they had reversed an overdraft fee for me 14 months ago, that they would not be overturning anymore ever. See, I actually did cause myself to overdraft and asked if they could overturn the fee. Last year when they overturned it, the customer service person informed me that they normally could do one per calendar year. So when I initially called yesterday, I had to leave a message with someone in the bank because the supervisor was busy. She never returned my call.

Flash forward to today when I had to call back again, I finally spoke with her when she gave me that information in a not so matter of fact manner. I've paid fees, overdrafts, and everything else over the course of 27 years and you guys won't overturn one simple 36 dollar fee because you overturned one for me fourteen months ago? I informed her that I would be taking my checking account elsewhere, and there wasn't even an attempt made to try to keep me as business. I'm looking forward to going to PNC bank on Monday! Good riddance!

Original review: March 12, 2018

They cheated. You call and tell them there a mistake and they tell you, "No that your correct balance" and you repeatedly ask if they're sure and they say yes. Three weeks later they take 5000 and place it on hold and said, "Oh we didn't do the transaction right" and now they tell you, "Sorry but we're taking this money."

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

For the second time in 3 yrs I’ve caught First Citizens Bank STEALING money from my account for absolutely no reason. And the kicker is... they are still KEEPING half of it. They don’t even know what a Calculated Service Charge Type 37 is. They even alluded that it was partially MY fault. And yes I should have caught it sooner, but I had TRUST that the bank wouldn’t just take money out of my account for no reason. They ADMITTED they made a “MISTAKE”, which they didn’t have an explanation for, yet their “POLICY” says they could only refund less than half of what they STOLE. The legal term for this is called EMBEZZLING! How can a bank take money for an account and keep half of it and say this is JUSTIFIED? How is this right? It didn’t cause the bank a loss of money to take from an account. So why First Citizens?

I have had an account with First Citizens since 1991 and it has absolutely sickened me that the bank that I have loved has chosen to risk losing my account for money that they TOOK and have the arrogance to KEEP it. Even the bank manager who I spoke with about this defended this business practice. Saying that it was policy not to fully refund money that they blatantly took. But, could not explain why this POLICY was in place. Just their POLICY. In closing, I will be TERMINATING my 26 year relationship with First Citizens Bank. It is obvious that they don’t care about personal accounts and doing what is RIGHT for their loyal customers. From their actions it looks like they’ve gone from being a family bank to falling right in line with all the others in CHEATING their customers. SHAME ON YOU FIRST CITIZENS!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I've been banking with FCB for at least 2 years, and my family has been with them 40+ years. I've never had a problem with them until the last couple of days I end getting a call from the branch manager here in Crewe, Virginia - stating that my account had been hacked and my money and info had been jeopardized. I was told that it was never my fault, but that I should use "harder passwords". A lady from NC was using my info, putting money in, and taking money out of my account. A check was deposited in my account (which I knew nothing about and had been Christmas shopping the previous day) and that it was a fraud check. Immediately I was scared and needed answers immediately so we sat down for a meeting and she ended up calling another lady from another branch for more info and help. She was very rude to me and kept pushing her issue that I had given my account number out on a check.

I NEVER in my life have used checks let alone even know what my account number is. Whoever the person was got my password from that mobile banking app in which I hate so much! So why exactly was this my fault I asked? Well, leave it to the lady. My passwords were too easy and that somewhere down the line I had given my account # and router # out. Eventually, she said that she'd investigate but I never gave her enough information whereas she could know more, and that I was hindering information. The end of the conversation was complete BS because I'll end up having to pay back the money that I spent (that I was NOT notified about being in my account). Lesson learned, and I will be banking elsewhere!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been with First Citizens for over 30 years and never have I been so frustrated!!! I feel as though someone else is duplicating my charges! I keep up with my daily balance on my app thinking that would help me stay on top of my balance. Went to bed with over $600 in my account to wake up to $300!!! Went to the banks and they showed me a statement of what was taken out and they were charges that were already taking out (pending) but they said after pending it goes back into your account for a day or three and is taken back out. How do I know I'm not getting doubled charged? Their answer is to keep a ledger. I have never been so confused, frustrated and taken advantage of in my whole life! Leaving First Citizens!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

First of all, what kind of bank shows the deductions before they show your deposit? Example, I get paid on the 1st, the deposit is there on the morning of the first. That afternoon I make three purchases with my debit card. When I look at my account online, I actually had the purchases taken out first, which put my account in the negative, and then they put in my direct deposit. What sense does that make?? And then even if I had a positive balance before the deposit, once they finish putting in all the pending things and/or purchases, I'm in the negative! I called one time and the girl kept trying to explain it to me, and would then have to put me on hold, because she didn't have answers to my questions. After her putting me on hold a few times I was conveniently disconnected.

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Because of their stupid way of keeping account of my funds, I had more bounced checks and fees with them than I've had in my WHOLE LIFE. I only had an account with them maybe 7 or 8 months. The final straw was when I went and took out the majority of my funds when it was deposited into my account from direct deposit (to put in my other bank account because I no longer trusted them with my money and had planned to have my direct deposit switched), and when I got the text with my balance the next day my account was, again, in the negative. I closed my account the same day. See photo attached.

Before the deposit was made there were some pending transactions, but the balance was positive. They somehow managed to finalize the pending transactions, but still I ended up in the negative. Again, how do they do their accounting??? When I found these reviews I realized I was not alone. I wish I had done some research before I opened my account. They offered people at my job discounts if we opened an account with them. The biggest mistake of my life! Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! Please don't put your money in this bank. You'll regret it. Signed, At least $180.00 lost.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Years ago my father's account # was stolen off of a check somewhere locally and checks were printed with his account # and NAPA's name & Logo as the account holder (didn't match). My father had a CP who checked the transactions against the bank statement monthly. Because the account was checked 30 days after the fraudulent charge, I noticed when I got the copies of the canceled checks and not only did First Citizens refuse to give him the money back, they closed his account and refused to service him. They reserve the right to close any account at any time. My dad had only $90,000 in that account at that time. I still kept my account there.

Now since the merger/online changes, I am charged $36 to $200 a week in overdraft charges. I received $650 this week in child support alone. I made $1300+ last week and right now I am -$40 in my account. I've paid $600 for my car to be fixed, and $250 for my ATT bill. And the rest were $5.00 to $30 charges. I always check my account online to see what's pending before I spend any money.

They reorder all of my charges to the point that they don't know what was spent when. I had my card stolen and someone spent $233 at my local Walmart. I knew it wasn't me but because of the reordering, it appeared that I used my card at McDonald's (where it was stolen by the lady at the drive thru and used a couple hours later) after the Walmart charge at 8:00 am that morning. Anyone who knows me knows I was NOT anywhere at 8:00 am. I am so sick of this bank and the money they have essentially stolen from me and my family. I am leaving and filing a class action lawsuit. Local customer service is great. It's the policies and higher up practices that are the issue.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I recently had some really amazing customer service at my local branch. After having all of my personal information stolen out of my vehicle, they were very helpful in helping me take precaution when closing an account and opening a new one even though I did not have the typical forms of ID due to it all being stolen. However, almost 3 weeks later I noticed that I had funds that were attempted to come out of that account when I was told the account would be closed. This led to me needing to make several calls to customer service. Come to find out there is a service fee if you make more than 4 phone calls to speak to a rep. I never would have needed to make these calls if my account would have been handled properly and been closed when I requested it.

Most of the customer service reps were very nice and extremely helpful. However, the most recent rep that I spoke with REALLY had an attitude problem. In my situation, I have been a victim of crime and have needed a lot of help and support from my banks and accounts all around. She really made me feel unimportant and like I was in the wrong and that my problem didn't matter. I have never been so annoyed with First Citizens bank. Just yesterday, I was bragging about my bank. Especially after a lady called me from First Citizens bank in Lexington to tell me that someone was in the drive thru teller trying to act as if they were me. She reported to the police and did not give the person my ID or my card back. This circumstance today is what made me want to write this review. Yesterday I would have given 5 stars, today is much different.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I was double charged by Walmart Online Groceries almost $600. This and it incurred 3 OD charges! Customer service for my bank had to 3way call with Walmart online to verify that the charge was inaccurate. They argued when the Walmart associate said the initial charge is an 'authorization charge' and would fall off and customer service said "no, the money has been removed from her account". Customer service took off the charge and refunded 1 OD (they are only allowed to refund one) so I was referred to my local branch to get the other 2 OD refunded. Thursday AM I called every single branch in Clayton, Smithfield, Zebulon & left messages for management & got not 1 return call.

Today, I got in touch with a very nice lady at the Smithfield Branch. She was very helpful and understanding. She referred me to her manager after speaking to him. His name was Kevin. Kevin said he was not going to refund the two OD fees of $36 each totaling $72 I incurred through NO fault of my own but rather by being double charged a large sum by a company mistakenly. Kevin explain that it was not "bank error" and I explained it was not "the error of his longtime client". Essentially First Citizens is taking the opportunity to MAKE MONEY off a bad thing that happened to one of their clients! What kind of bank that advertises this 'helpful' 'you’re safe' attitude but takes every opportunity to take your money.

We are a family of 7 and a lot of money goes through the bank and we are seriously thinking we need to take our money elsewhere... and our groceries for that matter. So Walmart Online Groceries stinks because you get charged twice and you better have enough money to cover multiple charges! I hope "Kevin" and the CEO's enjoy my $72 in their bonus that could be going to my kids! All the money that bank takes from us over the years we could have bought our little’s a playset outside already! It is shameful that our bank is blatantly using this opportunity to screw their long term clients over. Wal-Mart gave me an 'oh well' and my bank flew in like a vulture. Perhaps spending a little extra at Harris Teeter would be worth it!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I called First Citizens and told them that I had a discrepancy on my account and wanted to cancel my credit debit card. Then after 10 days I call back to find out why I have not received a new one. They told me that I did not ask for a new card even though they got my new PIN number. Then after the 10 days I go back to my bank in person and talk to one of the Reps and they tell me they will order me a card and since I'm so close to the main office it should only take 3 to 5 days. That was on the 20th of June. 9 days later I called back and they tell me it was just mailed out yesterday so for seven days they sit idle. This is a bunch of crap. I will do my business somewhere else.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I did my mortgage through First Citizens because they had the best rate at the time. This was a big mistake. It began well, I was able to sign on and view my mortgage online and set up auto-payments. Shortly after, however, First Citizens did away with their mortgage website with NO REASON WHY. They claim that they may bring it back but it has been over a year. Only one reason for a business to hide the details of your account... Looking to refinance with another company shortly.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I loved First Citizens before they upgraded to the Digital Banking. It's the worst thing ever. It never shows the proper amount and then you never know which amount shown you should actually go by. To top it off one time I had a double charge by accident. It was pending and eventually fell off my account but I still got an overdraft charge for a pending transaction. I had to call several times and eventually got a refund.

Original review: May 14, 2017

If you read all of the reviews of this bank, I believe they can be summed up in just one word: INCOMPETENCE. No need to bore anyone with the details of my experience... and that means that I will leave out the part about the smug attitude of one of the local Naples, Florida tellers... just my opinion anyway.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Overdraft fees are nothing new to our generation. Including switching purchases around to collect more fees. Today I was informed that a cash deposit was held for 2 days because I had an overdraft fee in the last 6 months. The bank also has a hold on a transfer from another bank. Ironically, they're assessing overdraft fees and holding my deposits back. If this isn't an illegal practice, it should be.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I read many of your posts as we are with First Citizens Bank (Bethlehem Office) Hickory, NC area. We have a Business account, Personal account, Savings account, and even (2) different Lines of Credit, plus checking overdraft account. We have been with them approx. 7 years now... But today, NONE of your branch managers get to know you or your local business or dealings like they used to do and NONE of them are allowed or capable of making any common sense decisions. Everything is "one size fits all" and they only send requests off to corporate out of State to get answers and decisions from people who do not even know of you locally...

But the other day I receive letter from FCB saying I had a Line set to mature in May and stop in any office to get it renewed. I never received such letter before. All my Lines have always been used responsibly, always making higher monthly payments than required, and FCB has made lots of interest off of us having these and they have always been renewed automatically before.

Well, after I went to Viewmont Office, I was only asked couple questions about what I expected to earn and what my mortgage payment was and loan balance left there- that's all... I assumed since I am well known in my region as a reputable small business owner, regular banking with literally daily deposits going into business/personal accounts etc and even have bank people as my customers, the Line would still continue as it always had. The next day I receive call from some young guy saying "They decided not to renew your Line". "What" I said! Why? All he would say is "They decided to take your existing balance open on Line, change that to a 36 month fixed loan at 2.5% higher interest rate." As if I should be happy hearing this! I was not!

That particular Line was my damn Business LOC and now FCB effectively has canceled that Line I use, and now charging me higher rate (to pay off existing balance open) and effectively have attacked my business operation here doing so. I have NEVER had problems with any account, even have other credit union account with Federal CU, and now FCB does this to me? Makes no sense. I have great credit, many local supplier credit/charge accounts established to all in good standing. But FCB don't seem to care it seems. I built a consistent reliable business over 13 years ago here from nothing, making 6 figures annually now today and they close my Business Line down!!! So much for supporting your local businessman.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

After 15 years with FC I am leaving. The online services upgrade debacle is the last straw. The true insult is that they don't do anything about it. Not even an, "Oops". The President and VP's need to be FIRED. If they can't do online in 2017 then it's over. The OL services have been hosed since the upgrade last year, October... LAST OCTOBER! The response, or lack of, is inexcusable, but they just plod on. They lost some of my pay-to accounts, my scheduled payments went dark - got some late fees for that. Thanks a lot FC.

The latest pain is that their new OL can't seem to connect to Duke Energy to set up auto-pay. I've tried for several months, waiting for them to correct. But, Hey. It's just Duke Energy, no one needs that, right? It really is a horrible system now. VP of IT... FIRE HIM. Truly unbelievable that a bank could perform this poorly in 2017. It really is a struggle to find words to express my disappointment and incredulity.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I opened up a checking account online. It did not require a minimum balance, and that was the reason I opened the account. Later, I added my wife to the account and we started getting charged $35 overdraft fees. It happened numerous times. So many times we were unable to make the mortgage payment because my wife lost her whole paycheck. The bank paid checks that did not clear, but charged us the $35 fee plus the amount the check was for. Which in turn kept the account in a negative balance.

Plus whenever we deposited a check using the ATM it took 2 days to post to our account. I will never use or recommend First Citizens Bank again. They do not put the customer and his/her needs first, and the customer service is terrible. They don't care about the customer, but only about making money off him/her by charging fees. I was even charged a fee for calling the 24 hr automated phone line to check my account balance. Bank of America would at least work with us, and give us a grace period of 24 hrs to make a deposit to cover checks they paid due to insufficient fund. However, they do not offer the account with no minimum balance anymore. Both my wife and I work hard and try to make a living so we can provide for our 7 year old son and pay our bills on time. We can't afford to be charged all kinds of service fees by a bank. So, we will be doing our banking elsewhere now where the customer comes first.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I banked with First Citizens for over 15 years since I moved to North Carolina, now I am closing all my accounts. The system "upgrade" is a joke, and in my opinion a way to generate fees. My husbands pension check has always been available by the last day of the month or even a day before if the last day of the month fell on a weekend. Now the pension payment is "pending" but I cannot transfer any money between accounts for FIVE DAYS. The pension payment is done electronically, so they have the funds. All of the bills I scheduled to have paid in the first few days of the following month show as being overdrawn.

Although they do not charge od fees for these, it is all very confusing. So many payments are "pending". There is no way to know what your balance is so the chance of being overdrawn is very high if you are not careful. For example under the old system if I went to the food store the charge would show up immediately as "pending" and settle the following day. Now when I go to the food store, I do not see the charge for a day or two and it is pending for another two or three more. I AM CLOSING ALL MY ACCOUNTS. THIS IS THE WORST BANK EVER.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

First Citizens Bank shut down their mobile banking for an upgrade. Although inconvenient, there was adequate notice of this. The system did not work on the promised date with no notification to clients by email. Long holds and no specific information. The last straw was the corruption of the First Citizens Bank link with Quickbooks which I have used without difficulty for 15 years... Again, no admission of the problem. Long holds on the phone and a promise that it would be fixed ONE WEEK LATER. (Oct 31, 2016). It's November 5, 2016 and I'm still waiting. I can't reconcile accounts. I am the sole owner of a small business and this is crippling and so time consuming. I give you one more day, then I walk. I'm sure I can save money, but as a decades long customer, wanted to keep going.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I answered an ad on Ziprecruiter.com for a home based job, didn't realize it was a scam! This started on Sept 28th, 2016 now it is November 4th, 2016 and my problem has not been completely settled. Bottom line is that I will NEVER use First Citizens Bank ever again, nor will I refer anyone to use their services! My account still has not been completely fixed. With the bank being down for the week, I could not do any kind of business, then my Bill Payees were all ERASED? I have been treated like I was in cahoots with the scammer! SHAME on you! Plus make note the bank is NOT accredited! I will be moving my funds on Monday to Bank of America!

First Citizens Bank Company Information