Albermarle, NC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.40/5

First Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: March 1, 2021

They caught someone trying to charge $7000 and sent me a text. I never used their debit card once. I happened to log in to my account and a charge to a charity in FL as well as a charge to a Flower shop were allowed. Apparently, this happens a lot to this bank. The charity refunded my money first, so First Citizens got off easy there. Their money is insured, which they don't make well known. The police told me about their money being insured. I contacted the FTC, CFPB, police, etc., because no one in fraud seemed to be empathetic or bright.

I finally got the remaining 42.90 refunded for the flower shop fraud at exactly 10 days and received a curt letter stating they the bank had followed procedure and the case was now closed. No one at the bank seems to have the same information concerning different procedures, anyway. If you want friendly, individual service, avoid this bank. I don't think they care about their customer at all. I am really shocked at this whole experience.

Original review: March 1, 2021

After 4.5 years as a customer, I received a new $15 fee for online banking. The only reason I am a First Citizens customer was for Free Checking. Customer Service said I could go to a branch and have them switch my accounts to a different online banking system with very little difference with no fee. Could they make it more difficult. AVOID THIS BANK. Worst in class technology and branches closed on Saturdays. Convenience is clearly not a consideration for them. They are so bad, I get my SBA loans through other institutions and just use their checking in case I need a local branch. If they want to nickel & dime small businesses, I'll take multiple accounts and tens of thousands of dollars to a new bank. First Citizens is NOT SMALL BUSINESS FRIENDLY.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I can't get any support over the phone and continue to be sent to a local office to receive help. Once I drive to the local office, I see a sign posted on the door stating the office is closed due to COVID. I then go back through the drive-thru to talk with someone who gives me the name of the branch GM who can't seem to figure out how to help me either. He is very nice and continues to say he is "pushing buttons" and the back office will fix the issue one of these days. Well, the issue doesn't get fixed so I go on-line and am able to create a Bank of America account and all my issues are addressed and solved within 12 days.

I now want to cancel my First Citizens account and am being told I have to be back to the local office to close my account. This is the local office that is CLOSED and is the reason I am canceling the account in the first place. In the meantime, First Citizen continues to charge fees because I have transferred the majority of the money out of the account. HELP!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

First Citizens Bank purchased the bank that I did business with over a year ago. Since that time, they’ve continued to send monthly statements @ $5 each. I call each month asking them to stop. I’ve tried to close the account-they said my signature didn’t match. My balance has gone to zero, and they had the nerve to charge an OVERDRAFT FEE!!! Once they charged the overdraft fee, they closed my account! (Which is fine because I’ve wanted to close it anyway.) But I shouldn’t have to pay $35 for this. THEY dwindled my account down to $0 and have the nerve to charge me!! Customer service is unhelpful. They talk you in circles and in the end, rob you of your money through a $5 monthly statement fee that they make impossible to cancel.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have been a First Citizens Bank customer for 9 years. I have a savings, a checking and credit card with them. I needed to open an Estate Account for an inheritance. I checked with them to make sure I had all the proper documents. Went to the bank when I received the check and presented my documents. Their legal department balked because the Letter of Authority from the court was not original. Strange because I had the check in hand. Nothing illegal happening here. I went to First Bank of SC with the same documents that same day and opened the Estate Account there in 20 minutes. This is the 2nd time I have been disappointed by FCB's legal department. The other time was for a simple Notarized Signature that they would not do because it was a property sale. Went to the UPS Store and got it. I don't feel like they really want to assist their customers. Apparently, they don't need my business.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

This is absolutely the worst bank ever! My bank account was compromised and I called several times and even went so far as to file complaints with the BBB (they never responded so the BBB just closes your case). Someone was making large payments on bills from my account and FC called me a liar and said, "Why would someone pay your bills?" Gee, I don't know? I explained over and over to them it wasn't me and now they screwed up my credit so bad it'll take years to recover. The branch in Brookfield is pitiful and the bank manager doesn't call you back, she just goes on vacation and then calls you back 2 weeks later. I never had an issue with Guaranty Bank and they were friendly. I also reported to the CFPB but, they didn't do anything either. I can't believe they allow this bank to exist.

Original review: May 12, 2020

As a retired Realtor, don't ever go to a bank branch manager for any credit accounts. They are amateurs. I was produced with HUD statement with three errors on it. Most people would have never caught the errors.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I'm constantly being hit with over draft fee. I always check the available amount I have before using my card but sometimes they don't add a charge til days later I guess. I went over by 85 cents and deposited money into my acct few hrs later. 5 days after that, they hit me with over draft. A few times I was charged over draft and I added up all the charges and one couple occasions I was not over. When I sent a auto draft out and I did not get the money in the bank in time I was charged insignificant funds fee and I understand that. I did not get the money in the acct in time, that was completely my fault. But when I only go over 85 cents and only because it said I had money in my acct and I deposit my check same day to charge me over $30 is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I've been working with First Citizens since the first week of December, 2019. I submitted everything they requested within 1 business day of request. I got all inspections I Was told to get done. My closing was scheduled for Friday, 1/17. On Monday, 1/14, 4 days before closing, First Citizens requested additional paperwork. I submitted it.

On Tuesday, 1/14, I was told I have to get a well water inspection. I scrambled to find someone who can do it and put a rush on it. He completed it that day at 6pm, and dropped sample at lab at 630am next day. I got results back and uploaded to First Citizens on Friday 1/17. Closing was rescheduled for Wednesday, 1/22. On Tuesday, 1/21, I am told the USDA hasn't returned the Closing Disclosure (CD) and that there is a 3 business day waiting period after I receive it before I can close.

Rarely do the loan officers reply to mine or my realtor's emails. Sometimes we have to email the same question 2-3 times to get a response. They do not return phone calls. My realtor is still waiting on a return call from last week. I went above loan officer's head and called bank to leave voice mail for her manager last week and haven't received a return call. Today I called again, and this time went above her manager's head, and am awaiting a call. I also submitted emails to the loan officer manager via the website today.

They keep dropping the ball, repeatedly, on this. Not communicative. Not responsive. Now that I'm so far into the loan I cannot back out at this point and find another lender, and am stuck at the whim of them getting their act together, and as it stands, my loan closing cannot be rescheduled because they *just* submitted the info! 6 weeks after initial contact! Bewildering! I will not do business with First Citizens again, ever. This is the 4th house I've purchased in my life and I've NEVER dealt with such indolence.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I've been banking with FC for over 20 years. Since I've been banking online I've been hit with numerous fees. I called to complain and out of 5 fees I was reimbursed 3. The other 2 should have been reimbursed but I got 3 back it felt like a small victory. I had one fee reimbursed and 2 days later they hit me again for no reason. I figure it was to get the reimbursed one back. Every time I complain it's always my fault. They also hit me each month with atm fees for using their atms. When I complained the atm fees stopped. This is a very bad bank to bank with. They will hit you with needless fees and there is nothing you can do about it. Bunch of crooks!!!!

First Citizens Bank Company Information