1.10/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Albermarle, NC

Looking for a mortgage lender?

First Citizens Bank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I banked with FC for decades before moving from NC. Because it was no longer convenient to bank with them and the level of service had been declining I changed banks 10+ yrs ago. The following is the 2nd unscrupulous incident I’ve had with them this year. On 9/26/2019 the treasury department on behalf of my federal agency mistakenly sent my travel reimbursement pay via ACH to my closed FC checking account.

FC did NOT send the money back!!! The electronic check should have bounced back immediately!! I called twice. I provided them with my ssn, the electronic check tracing #, and my old FC acct #. I was asked and answered my mother’s maiden name, but apparently I answered wrong when asked if it was a joint acct - I couldn’t recall - it had been over 30 years!! I was then advised they couldn’t assist me - I had to go to a branch - 100 miles away. I requested to speak to the ACH dept and a supervisor - denied!!

On 11/1/2019 a payroll rep from my agency then called and got the runaround, transferred to several people, was put on hold for over 30 minutes combined, and after 1.5 hours was told that the treasury dept. needed to call them. The rep explained treasury was making the payment on our agency's behalf. She was then told that I needed to call and when she responded that she was calling because I’d gotten a verification question wrong, FC claimed they’d look into where the money went and get back with her or me. This bank is totally desperate, unethical, predatory and insanely bold - they’re actually holding onto money sent by the US dept of treasury on behalf of a legislative branch agency to a nonexistent account. WOW.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Do not use this bank. They will try to get money from you. We paid our water bill last week and it just now came out of my account today, ending with an overdraft fee. We will be getting that money back, even if I have to fight it in court. This wouldnt be the first time they have done this.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

This bank makes their money on fees for things you would expect to be part of the package having a checking account. For instance, an online transfer to a previously recorded bank generates a $3.95 fee. Calling them up to dispute the charge results in customer disrespect and of course they will not remove their unfair fees since they obviously make money on cheating their customers. I will never ever do business with them again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

IF there was a choice for NO stars, that would be it. My mother had been a customer for years. We recently moved, and although we changed her address on line, unbeknownst to us, First Citizen's continued to mail her bills to the old address. So, she never received a bill and did not know she had a balance. Then one day, she received a call from a very rude individual absolutely berating her about non-payment.

My mother is 84. She asked to get me on the phone to discuss as I handle all of her financials, but the collection person would not even consider it. Told my mother she could not talk with me. Now mind you, the contact phone number on the account is mine. Did they ever try to call me? NO! I called to file a complaint and a "manager" was to have called me within 2 business days. It has been a week. Don't EVER bank with First Citizens. Disrespectful, deceitful and can't even change an address. None of this was my mother's fault yet they made her out to be a criminal. How dare you First Citizens harass an 84 year old! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

When I first opened the account it was set up wrong. I had to go to another branch who closed that account and opened up a new one. The first account opened the agent asked me questions and that I bet have never heard a banker asked. There was no eye contact throughout the M process. Because the amount of money I was depositing it seemed as though she was insinuating that it was drug money. When I went into the next branch a week later is when I found out that she had set the account up wrong. Because of my experience and several customer service calls that week they decided to give me free checks. That was in August. I guess they are on backorder.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have had this business account for 11 years. Every since that merger occurred with BestBank they have been inconsistent and really don't know their products. The different branches which are very scattered here in Georgia have different policies per branch as it pertains to deposits. I was told by the customer service center it's up to the branch when it comes to holds. Now I have an established history when it comes to this account and the type of deposits that are made but they will sometimes make deposits available immediately and sometimes just decide to do a 2-7 day hold depending on what the teller thinks. In addition, the phone reps never have thorough knowledge of the products they are discussing and somehow the security questions when calling in keep increasing and changing and don't match with what was on file the previous times I've called in... Very inconsistent and I'm closing the account because of it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

This is the absolute worst bank/branch that I have ever dealt with. RUN from this bank. This branch and the First Citizens Bank allowed a third party company (Paysafe- California) to steal money out of my business account, even AFTER I complained to them at least 10 times. I advised them not to let this third party debit my account. I called their fraud department on July 12 and spoke to them for 45 minutes. I went to the branch in person on July 13th, and I spoke to the branch manager. They did not care and the third party continued debiting my account even several weeks after July 13. The bank staff lied about me and said that I threatened to harm them when I never did, period.

When I complained again about them allowing Paysafe to steal money out of my bus acct they made me close out my account after being there almost 20 years. I went to the bank and asked for a redemption of all of my business account money. The bank refused, and instead called the police on me, filed a criminal trespass on me, refused to just give me my money after I asked for it several times, and actually handed all of my money to a Gwinnett County Policemen, and let him walk out of the bank with all of my money IN CASH. Did I mention that I am a minister, pastoral counselor, and ex officer myself? Do not do business with this awful branch.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Wouldn't choose another bank, great rate and customer service! Compared a variety of banks and some were close but First Citizens offered to match or lower the rate if I could find one less than what they offered. All of my banking is now with First Citizens.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I am a disabled woman. My husband and I have been banking with First Citizens Bank for a year now. I have received excellent service up until three days ago. An ATM took 200.00 of my money. I reported this to the bank and was lied to and given the run around about my money being returned to me. They are now saying it will take 10 days for it to be returned. I am giving this review because other people need to know about this bank's dishonesty!

Original review: June 14, 2019

I was a previous Guaranty bank customer of many years and never had one issue with Guaranty. It is almost a year and my debit card has still not arrived. I called explaining that I could not go to a branch as none were now near me since this bank took over and that I am disabled, and so forth, so I just want them to complete the transaction over the phone. I was transferred after a 33 minute with an inept front line CSR who repeatedly (at leas 10 times) called me "Mrs. Ms." - not Ms. after I corrected her the first time.

After the 33 minutes with the deficient CSR that could not remember it was Ms not Mrs. I was then transferred to a person that identified herself as Miesha and stated was a supervisor. When she could not complete this simple request of generating a debit card she became quite rude, cold, and near hostile. She interjected that the call was being recorded and I replied that I also was recording. A person that was not good for anything she became paranoid and stated she was hanging up. She did. Miesha, the grand supervisor of the garbage bank, a marriage of a good fit. Their employees are bottom of the barrel, stay away from this disgusting bank. It is not a normal bank, run.

First Citizens Bank Company Information