First Citizens Bank

Albermarle, NC

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Years ago my father's account # was stolen off of a check somewhere locally and checks were printed with his account # and NAPA's name & Logo as the account holder (didn't match). My father had a CP who checked the transactions against the bank statement monthly. Because the account was checked 30 days after the fraudulent charge, I noticed when I got the copies of the canceled checks and not only did First Citizens refuse to give him the money back, they closed his account and refused to service him. They reserve the right to close any account at any time. My dad had only $90,000 in that account at that time. I still kept my account there.

Now since the merger/online changes, I am charged $36 to $200 a week in overdraft charges. I received $650 this week in child support alone. I made $1300+ last week and right now I am -$40 in my account. I've paid $600 for my car to be fixed, and $250 for my ATT bill. And the rest were $5.00 to $30 charges. I always check my account online to see what's pending before I spend any money.

They reorder all of my charges to the point that they don't know what was spent when. I had my card stolen and someone spent $233 at my local Walmart. I knew it wasn't me but because of the reordering, it appeared that I used my card at McDonald's (where it was stolen by the lady at the drive thru and used a couple hours later) after the Walmart charge at 8:00 am that morning. Anyone who knows me knows I was NOT anywhere at 8:00 am. I am so sick of this bank and the money they have essentially stolen from me and my family. I am leaving and filing a class action lawsuit. Local customer service is great. It's the policies and higher up practices that are the issue.

I recently had some really amazing customer service at my local branch. After having all of my personal information stolen out of my vehicle, they were very helpful in helping me take precaution when closing an account and opening a new one even though I did not have the typical forms of ID due to it all being stolen. However, almost 3 weeks later I noticed that I had funds that were attempted to come out of that account when I was told the account would be closed. This led to me needing to make several calls to customer service. Come to find out there is a service fee if you make more than 4 phone calls to speak to a rep. I never would have needed to make these calls if my account would have been handled properly and been closed when I requested it.

Most of the customer service reps were very nice and extremely helpful. However, the most recent rep that I spoke with REALLY had an attitude problem. In my situation, I have been a victim of crime and have needed a lot of help and support from my banks and accounts all around. She really made me feel unimportant and like I was in the wrong and that my problem didn't matter. I have never been so annoyed with First Citizens bank. Just yesterday, I was bragging about my bank. Especially after a lady called me from First Citizens bank in Lexington to tell me that someone was in the drive thru teller trying to act as if they were me. She reported to the police and did not give the person my ID or my card back. This circumstance today is what made me want to write this review. Yesterday I would have given 5 stars, today is much different.

I was double charged by Walmart Online Groceries almost $600. This and it incurred 3 OD charges! Customer service for my bank had to 3way call with Walmart online to verify that the charge was inaccurate. They argued when the Walmart associate said the initial charge is an 'authorization charge' and would fall off and customer service said "no, the money has been removed from her account". Customer service took off the charge and refunded 1 OD (they are only allowed to refund one) so I was referred to my local branch to get the other 2 OD refunded. Thursday AM I called every single branch in Clayton, Smithfield, Zebulon & left messages for management & got not 1 return call.

Today, I got in touch with a very nice lady at the Smithfield Branch. She was very helpful and understanding. She referred me to her manager after speaking to him. His name was Kevin. Kevin said he was not going to refund the two OD fees of $36 each totaling $72 I incurred through NO fault of my own but rather by being double charged a large sum by a company mistakenly. Kevin explain that it was not "bank error" and I explained it was not "the error of his longtime client". Essentially First Citizens is taking the opportunity to MAKE MONEY off a bad thing that happened to one of their clients! What kind of bank that advertises this 'helpful' 'you’re safe' attitude but takes every opportunity to take your money.

We are a family of 7 and a lot of money goes through the bank and we are seriously thinking we need to take our money elsewhere... and our groceries for that matter. So Walmart Online Groceries stinks because you get charged twice and you better have enough money to cover multiple charges! I hope "Kevin" and the CEO's enjoy my $72 in their bonus that could be going to my kids! All the money that bank takes from us over the years we could have bought our little’s a playset outside already! It is shameful that our bank is blatantly using this opportunity to screw their long term clients over. Wal-Mart gave me an 'oh well' and my bank flew in like a vulture. Perhaps spending a little extra at Harris Teeter would be worth it!

I called First Citizens and told them that I had a discrepancy on my account and wanted to cancel my credit debit card. Then after 10 days I call back to find out why I have not received a new one. They told me that I did not ask for a new card even though they got my new PIN number. Then after the 10 days I go back to my bank in person and talk to one of the Reps and they tell me they will order me a card and since I'm so close to the main office it should only take 3 to 5 days. That was on the 20th of June. 9 days later I called back and they tell me it was just mailed out yesterday so for seven days they sit idle. This is a bunch of crap. I will do my business somewhere else.

I did my mortgage through First Citizens because they had the best rate at the time. This was a big mistake. It began well, I was able to sign on and view my mortgage online and set up auto-payments. Shortly after, however, First Citizens did away with their mortgage website with NO REASON WHY. They claim that they may bring it back but it has been over a year. Only one reason for a business to hide the details of your account... Looking to refinance with another company shortly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

I loved First Citizens before they upgraded to the Digital Banking. It's the worst thing ever. It never shows the proper amount and then you never know which amount shown you should actually go by. To top it off one time I had a double charge by accident. It was pending and eventually fell off my account but I still got an overdraft charge for a pending transaction. I had to call several times and eventually got a refund.

If you read all of the reviews of this bank, I believe they can be summed up in just one word: INCOMPETENCE. No need to bore anyone with the details of my experience... and that means that I will leave out the part about the smug attitude of one of the local Naples, Florida tellers... just my opinion anyway.

Overdraft fees are nothing new to our generation. Including switching purchases around to collect more fees. Today I was informed that a cash deposit was held for 2 days because I had an overdraft fee in the last 6 months. The bank also has a hold on a transfer from another bank. Ironically, they're assessing overdraft fees and holding my deposits back. If this isn't an illegal practice, it should be.

I read many of your posts as we are with First Citizens Bank (Bethlehem Office) Hickory, NC area. We have a Business account, Personal account, Savings account, and even (2) different Lines of Credit, plus checking overdraft account. We have been with them approx. 7 years now... But today, NONE of your branch managers get to know you or your local business or dealings like they used to do and NONE of them are allowed or capable of making any common sense decisions. Everything is "one size fits all" and they only send requests off to corporate out of State to get answers and decisions from people who do not even know of you locally...

But the other day I receive letter from FCB saying I had a Line set to mature in May and stop in any office to get it renewed. I never received such letter before. All my Lines have always been used responsibly, always making higher monthly payments than required, and FCB has made lots of interest off of us having these and they have always been renewed automatically before.

Well, after I went to Viewmont Office, I was only asked couple questions about what I expected to earn and what my mortgage payment was and loan balance left there- that's all... I assumed since I am well known in my region as a reputable small business owner, regular banking with literally daily deposits going into business/personal accounts etc and even have bank people as my customers, the Line would still continue as it always had. The next day I receive call from some young guy saying "They decided not to renew your Line". "What" I said! Why? All he would say is "They decided to take your existing balance open on Line, change that to a 36 month fixed loan at 2.5% higher interest rate." As if I should be happy hearing this! I was not!

That particular Line was my damn Business LOC and now FCB effectively has canceled that Line I use, and now charging me higher rate (to pay off existing balance open) and effectively have attacked my business operation here doing so. I have NEVER had problems with any account, even have other credit union account with Federal CU, and now FCB does this to me? Makes no sense. I have great credit, many local supplier credit/charge accounts established to all in good standing. But FCB don't seem to care it seems. I built a consistent reliable business over 13 years ago here from nothing, making 6 figures annually now today and they close my Business Line down!!! So much for supporting your local businessman.

After 15 years with FC I am leaving. The online services upgrade debacle is the last straw. The true insult is that they don't do anything about it. Not even an, "Oops". The President and VP's need to be FIRED. If they can't do online in 2017 then it's over. The OL services have been hosed since the upgrade last year, October... LAST OCTOBER! The response, or lack of, is inexcusable, but they just plod on. They lost some of my pay-to accounts, my scheduled payments went dark - got some late fees for that. Thanks a lot FC.

The latest pain is that their new OL can't seem to connect to Duke Energy to set up auto-pay. I've tried for several months, waiting for them to correct. But, Hey. It's just Duke Energy, no one needs that, right? It really is a horrible system now. VP of IT... FIRE HIM. Truly unbelievable that a bank could perform this poorly in 2017. It really is a struggle to find words to express my disappointment and incredulity.

I opened up a checking account online. It did not require a minimum balance, and that was the reason I opened the account. Later, I added my wife to the account and we started getting charged $35 overdraft fees. It happened numerous times. So many times we were unable to make the mortgage payment because my wife lost her whole paycheck. The bank paid checks that did not clear, but charged us the $35 fee plus the amount the check was for. Which in turn kept the account in a negative balance.

Plus whenever we deposited a check using the ATM it took 2 days to post to our account. I will never use or recommend First Citizens Bank again. They do not put the customer and his/her needs first, and the customer service is terrible. They don't care about the customer, but only about making money off him/her by charging fees. I was even charged a fee for calling the 24 hr automated phone line to check my account balance. Bank of America would at least work with us, and give us a grace period of 24 hrs to make a deposit to cover checks they paid due to insufficient fund. However, they do not offer the account with no minimum balance anymore. Both my wife and I work hard and try to make a living so we can provide for our 7 year old son and pay our bills on time. We can't afford to be charged all kinds of service fees by a bank. So, we will be doing our banking elsewhere now where the customer comes first.

I banked with First Citizens for over 15 years since I moved to North Carolina, now I am closing all my accounts. The system "upgrade" is a joke, and in my opinion a way to generate fees. My husbands pension check has always been available by the last day of the month or even a day before if the last day of the month fell on a weekend. Now the pension payment is "pending" but I cannot transfer any money between accounts for FIVE DAYS. The pension payment is done electronically, so they have the funds. All of the bills I scheduled to have paid in the first few days of the following month show as being overdrawn.

Although they do not charge od fees for these, it is all very confusing. So many payments are "pending". There is no way to know what your balance is so the chance of being overdrawn is very high if you are not careful. For example under the old system if I went to the food store the charge would show up immediately as "pending" and settle the following day. Now when I go to the food store, I do not see the charge for a day or two and it is pending for another two or three more. I AM CLOSING ALL MY ACCOUNTS. THIS IS THE WORST BANK EVER.

First Citizens Bank shut down their mobile banking for an upgrade. Although inconvenient, there was adequate notice of this. The system did not work on the promised date with no notification to clients by email. Long holds and no specific information. The last straw was the corruption of the First Citizens Bank link with Quickbooks which I have used without difficulty for 15 years... Again, no admission of the problem. Long holds on the phone and a promise that it would be fixed ONE WEEK LATER. (Oct 31, 2016). It's November 5, 2016 and I'm still waiting. I can't reconcile accounts. I am the sole owner of a small business and this is crippling and so time consuming. I give you one more day, then I walk. I'm sure I can save money, but as a decades long customer, wanted to keep going.

I answered an ad on Ziprecruiter.com for a home based job, didn't realize it was a scam! This started on Sept 28th, 2016 now it is November 4th, 2016 and my problem has not been completely settled. Bottom line is that I will NEVER use First Citizens Bank ever again, nor will I refer anyone to use their services! My account still has not been completely fixed. With the bank being down for the week, I could not do any kind of business, then my Bill Payees were all ERASED? I have been treated like I was in cahoots with the scammer! SHAME on you! Plus make note the bank is NOT accredited! I will be moving my funds on Monday to Bank of America!

This bank is garbage. Before the website update I was able to transfer money between my other financial institutions and First Citizens free. Now I cannot transfer money in unless I use my out-of-state bank which doesn't have the option of adding external accounts from other institutions which is why I chose First Citizens in the first place a few months ago since I moved out of state. My old bank is a local hometown bank which I use to take care of my finances in that state and doesn't have a lot of options but they do allow you to connect to their bank to transfer money out if needed. However First Citizens has stopped that service and now I am forced to fly back to New York to close that account, and call over a dozen businesses to notify them they will now be getting paid from a new, out-of-state bank and we must set up new automatic payments, which should be an unnecessary headache.

I was a customer of thirty years until the bank attempted to upgrade its online system but failed horribly and ignobly. As part of the upgrade, the bank warned its customers that online bill pay would be unavailable from 17 - 24 October and access to accounts unavailable from 21 - 24 October. The upgrade failed and on October 24, many/most/all (?) customers could not access their accounts. The outage lasted between 48 and 96 hours. It was a debacle as customer service reps often passed on information that was in direct contradiction that the bank displayed on its Facebook site while (initially) displaying nothing on its home page.

Updates were by anonymous postings to the banks Facebook page and initially downplayed the significant problems ("We faced some technical challenges" and characterized the outage as an inconvenience). It would have been easy for the bank's CEO to post a calming video to the bank's homepage or Facebook page but he chose not to. This fiasco cost the bank its credibility and trustworthiness and caused this thirty-year customer to find a new bank. I'd be wary of using this bank until it proved itself capable of telling the truth and having a competent IT team.

I have been with First Citizens for many years but the quality of the FC services has really gone down the tubes. Our local branch here in Laurens has a great staff that have been cordial and accommodating. But since the merger of NC and SC, First Citizens seems bent on finding ways of screwing their customers. We received notice from FC on or around Oct 10th 2016 that their online banking would be down from the 17th to the 24th. WOW a whole week without being able to pay bills etc. So, I paid most of my bills early so I would have them be on time.

The 24th arrives and no online banking??? I called support twice and it was as if FC had hired a bunch of temps to answer the phone and say, "sorry you're having problems," and when I made a statement I would get an, "uh huh or OK," but no intelligent comments at all. After 2 attempts to reach someone, anyone, in tech support that would have an IQ above that of a potato, I gave up. I checked Tuesday morning the 25th and still could not log in. Now we are 9 DAYS without service... This is not bubba's tire fix it shop down at the end of some off-road rural area ran by some guy named Goober who didn't finish the 7th grade. This is First Citizens Bank servicing both Carolinas, I expect better service than Goober would give me but looks like Goober is at least honest.

At 2:00PM on the 24th, I finally got some indication that I might be able to get into my account but I could not log in without error after error. I made 2 more calls lasting several hours and finally got a person on line. As we would walk through one stage of connecting and get an error message, she would say, "Well, good news and bad news." The good news was I could get that far in the login process but IT was keeping some part down??? WHAT??? I FINALLY got into my account after 4:00PM and took about 20 minutes to figure out how to navigate the new and much more confusing layout which REALLY STINKS. Only to discover all of the history of payments I have made are no longer there. No HISTORY??? So now, I am faced with going into my checking account and fish to see if I did or did not pay AT&T yet, Did I pay the trash service and on and on.

The new software is a huge CLUSTER **. Now to add insult to injury, I had been sending one of my nieces a little money each month to help her out. Now since she is not a commercial account FC wants me to set something up like PayPal and pay for a service I have had free for years. That's not going to happen. I'll buy a stamp each month and be money ahead.

Just after FC, NC and SC merged I had an incident where my wife and I made payments without talking to each other and we overdrew one of our accounts by $12. NO problem, we have a $1000 overdraft protection account. WRONG. Next day FC had charged me $15 for using the service I had been told was FREE. I went to FC's online rules and read Overdraft Protection is now FREE (AS LONG AS YOU DON'T USE IT). WHAT??? That's like me offering someone who is thirsty a FREE glass of water BUT, if you drink any I am going to SCREW YOU OUT OF $15 for EVERY SIP...

SHAME ON FIRST CITIZENS BANK. This is nothing but retarded, low intelligence, money grabbing, jerks just trying to screw their customers every chance they can. It will take a month or two to set up bill paying at another bank and transfer all of the funds in our multiple accounts but I have had it with FIRST CITIZENS. KINGS OF RIPOFFS. It's bad enough they pay .01% interest on our savings while charging 18%-24% to their credit card customers but this once great bank has devolved into a circus of jerks looking for ways to cheat and steal from the very people who directly pay their salaries.

Go google, "Salaries for First Citizens CEO" and you will see he's making $625,000 and his top financial officer is making $500,000. Look for yourself. They can't afford to pay more than .01% interest on our money and the CEO is walking home with $625,000/year not to mention all of his perks like free travel, vacations and other benefits paid on the backs of their clients.

But he's going to squeeze you out of every penny, nickel and dollar he can. THIS IS JUST PATHETIC. Any possible banking I will do with FC while I am closing my accounts will be only due to the great people at our local branch. I'm DONE WITH FIRST CITIZENS. My only complaint is I didn't abandon this bank a long time ago. Look at the multiple reviews for FC and they are all the lowest allowed by the review survey. ALL ZEROS.

DO NOT choose First Citizens Bank. They are awful. It will take at least a week for payments to come out of your account. I never know if my account information is correct. They recently did an upgrade for the online banking. Online banking was down on a Friday and said it would be available by Monday. It was not available. I got locked out of my bank account after entering my login information and then sat on hold for a long time before I eventually hung up the phone. This new "system upgrade" has been a pain to deal with. They need to get it together for their customers which I no longer want to be one of them.

On several occasions, it looks like they have deliberately held transactions from going through until I do not have enough money to cover it and then subsequently charging me an overdraft charge. The last one that has not cleared yet (they must be waiting until I do not have enough money), I called both the toll free customer service and also contacted my local branch. Local branch just said that the transaction had not gone through (this was for a transaction done 2 days earlier and cleared according to the local electric company) and said it was more than likely the electric company holding it up.

I explained that on their website, it was reading as cleared. I contacted the electric company and they assured me that they even had an authorization number for that transaction going through. So, I need to find out how to report this to whatever agency is responsible for overseeing banks in the state of NC. Clearly, at least in my opinion, this is deliberate. I am now keeping records of this. It's insane.

I have been with First Citizens for 11 years! My first problem was when they issued the card with a chip in Feb 2016 but I didn't get it, but called customer service for help with another issue in July and that's when they told me and that they needed to deactivate my current debit card and they were issuing a new card with a chip. Three weeks later, I still didn't have the card. I called several times and was told it was mailed. About a week before leaving one state to move to another I called again and expressed my frustration, everyone at customer service has a different answer. I ended up hanging up on the first lady because I wasn't getting anywhere. Called back and was able to get it resolved by them issuing another card and having it delivered by FedEx. This issue seemed to set off a trickling effect with this bank.

At the end of August my family relocated from GA to CA. I called the bank the day before we left GA to tell them we were moving and would be driving across country that I needed to set up a travel alert. Answered all the security questions and the travel alert was placed on my account. In Arizona, I stopped for gas and my card was declined, I knew the money was there! I call and wasted over 30 minutes of travel time to resolve the issue. The travel alert had been lifted that's why it was declined. I had to go back through all the security questions again to put the travel alert back on my account so we could finish the drive. This was the second issue. A few days after arriving in CA, I received a call from someone who works at First Citizens to confirm all the charges from the gas stations in the different states we drove through.

Here I am thinking everything is fine now. I go to check my account balance before paying a bill and my balance that was well over $600 had only .82 in it. I start looking through the charges and see over the past two days someone in Arkansas withdrew all money out of an ATM in Arkansas. I called my dad first and he told me when we stopped in Arkansas for the night and got gas there, that people set up the gas pumps to steal your card and pin #. I call First Citizens right after. I'm told they are deactivating my card, issuing a new one and in 7-10 business days the money would be back in my account and that I can go and file police reports. She didn't explain that they were doing an investigation or made it seem like they were interested that someone compromised my info and fraudulently took my money.

After venting to friends and hearing how their banks dealt with similar situations, I was irritated and felt their handling was unacceptable. I called back, I went off and expressed my frustration. The rep got with supervisor, they explained they were doing an investigation. I advised the time frame on getting my money back was not acceptable and I needed it asap. She said she would send a message to the fraud dept and it was at their discretion if they would approve the expedited credit. She told me they would see it in the morning and she would call TBD next day with an update. I never heard from her again.

I called back the next morning to get the times of the transactions and to confirm the notes from the day before and also to confirm that because a tip I left a few days prior for a business didn't hit until after this person took all my money and now my account is negative that I would not get a overdraft charge. I called back later that day because I still had no call with info on my expedited credit. I'm told they couldn't do anything until after the charges posted and they didn't post until that day so everything I was told the day before was wrong. I explained there was no possible way I made a transaction in CA and 40 minutes later was in Arkansas withdrawing all my money, this was clear that it was fraud and I needed my money immediately back in my account. I was put on hold while the rep spoke with the fraud dept to explain and she if I could get my credit expedited.

After a lengthy hold she came and advised they were expediting my refund. I asked how long does that take. She had to put me back on hold to find out. She comes back and tells me 24-72 business hours the money would be in my account. I checked later that day and it showed a credit pending. I went to the bank the next day to withdrawal my money since I had no other way to access my money. I left .57 in the account. I should have withdrew it all that day and closed the account but I was an idiot. I got my new debit card about three days ago, haven't activated it yet.

After all this happened I set up the alert that I get notified any time a debit occurs over $20. On 10/5, I wake up. I see I have emails so I check them. I see one is the alert of a debit transaction over $20 occurred. I was confused, one the account has NO active debit card and two the account had only .57 in it. I login to the app to see a negative 382.95. I call the bank, frustrated and confused and explain to the rep that it doesn't seem logical that someone could successfully withdraw $380 (assuming the 2.95 was a fee to use the ATM) from an account with only .57 in it while using a debit card # that hasn't been active since 9/27 and also explained the recent fraud. She doesn't understand either and asks me to hold. This was also a lengthy hold but she checked in a few times to let me know they were trying to figure it out.

Around 30 minutes later the answer I get is the person tried to get the money out but it was declined and they had a system glitch that's why it appears they did get the money out. She advised the fraud team would resolve it and put the .57 back in my account and get my account out of the negative. At this point I am overly done with this bank and I was ready to close the account so I asked the lady could I go to the local branch (about 25 minutes away) to close it and she confirmed I could.

I go and open a new account with another bank. I then drive to First Citizens to close the account. The lady at the bank informs they can't close it because the charge is still pending and my account is still negative. Extremely annoyed I tell her what the lady at customer service told me and that she advised they could call to confirm. She said they still couldn't close it. I said "Well I'm not driving back here to close the account" and asked how else could I close it and she rudely just stated they couldn't do it at that time. I told her again that's fine that I wasn't coming back to close it and said I would just not use the account anymore and leave the .57 in there and just forget about it and she said well if it goes negative again and it's not resolved it'll be a charge off after 45 days and would be reported to my credit.

I said right before I came I called again to see if I could close the account over the phone and I was told no, either in person or by sending a letter. So I ask about sending the letter, she confirms I can mail a letter to the branch that opened my account. Now I'm fuming because I wasted time and gas. I just want to close the account and be done with this bank.

I angrily leave and get in the car and call customer service again and immediately start going off. She asks me to hold advising she was getting a supervisor. The supervisor gets on after like a 5 minute hold. She's rude of course. She's not listening. I recap everything with her. She confirms that yes the charge was pending and no I can't close the account while it's negative. I express how frustrated I am by all the different answers I'm getting. She just apologizes and confirms that yes I keep getting wrong information. She also told me since this as fraud that it would not get reported to my credit. She also advised me that this person was able to successfully withdrawal $380 from the ATM, that it wasn't denied. I asked her how that was possible when the card # they are using was deactivated on 9/27 and the account only had .57 in it. She of course said she didn't have an answer.

I confirm with her I can send a letter to close the account once it is out of the negative and she said yes and gave me a fax # so apparently the lady at the branch I left wasn't right either because I could fax it to the main office and didn't have to send it to the branch where I opened the account. After getting the fax #, I hung up on the rep because she was rude just like they all are and had different answers just like they all do. Hopefully tomorrow my account will be out of the negative so I can fax this letter and get the account closed before someone else fraudulently takes money that doesn't exist in the account with a debit card # that has been deactivated days prior.

After 11 years, I can't believe this is how I'm treated. I want everyone to know how they do business, how they aren't secure at all, how no one that works for this bank has the same answer as their co-worker, they have no common sense, they are unprofessional, they aren't helpful. Their procedures are unacceptable. They are unethical. This bank is horrible! I can't believe they are still in business. Please, get accounts with a real bank, your money is not safe with First Citizens.

I've been trying to get a lien release for a boat from this bank for MONTHS. I keep getting the runaround. NOBODY EVER has any explanation as to WHY I cannot seem to get this lien release. CAN YOU HELP!!!!???

I have both a personal and business account with First Citizens. They have stolen thousands of dollars out of my account by "rearranging" debits to go through on a different day to reflect a negative balance, thus charging me $35. Many many times this has happened. Too many infractions to remember them all! I am furious and fed up with this bank! A temporary hold was placed on funds for an item I sent to Apple and Apple released the hold, but First Citizens never returned my previous balance to reflect it. It just disappeared and they won't answer me about it. That was another $750. DONE with this bank! Don't waste your time people!

I opened an auto loan with First Citizens Bank when I bought my Ford Explorer in December 2015 from Chestatee Ford in GA. I normally like to make payments well in advance and to pay some additional principal so the loan is paid off quickly. I sent my second payment 30 days early for 3 monthly payments in advance plus $2000.00 towards principal with a note on how to apply the check. I received a "past due" notice about 45 days later saying my account is past due. They did not apply the amount correctly, so after a phone call they told me NOT to ever send in additional principal amounts because they could not apply it correct. So after getting that straightened out, I sent in another check for (4) months payments with the payments dates on the bottom left on the check, payment coupons and a letter on how to apply the check.

Of course, First Citizens Bank didn't not apply the months correctly to my account and told me never to send in more than one months payment at a time. I'm thinking First Citizens Bank might have the lowest IQ ever in the banking industry at this point. Today I get a new coupon book since it looks like they've moved payment processing centers from Raleigh to Charlotte, with payment coupons for a year that have already been paid. Now I know this bank has the lowest IQ in the industry. I normally wouldn't bother to write a review but if you're worried about your credit score, money and don't have time to burn, stay FAR away from this bank. Yes, I'm going to pay off this account in full and never have to deal with these hillbillies again!

UPDATED ON 09/03/2016: I paid off my Ford Explorer 22 days and still received a past due notice today for my August 10, 2016 payment that I paid on March 22, 2016. This bank cannot apply funds correctly; even with the account number and payment date to be applied written on the check. Stay as far away as possible to First Citizens Bank - they're horrible business people.

On Tuesday, March 8, 2016, my bank account was compromised by phishers from www.mycashday.com. Scammers stole my identity and were trying to steal my money from my First Citizens account. I called my local branch at 301 Broad Street, Elizabethtown, NC 28337, (910) 862 - 4027. My first point of contact was teller **. She stated that she would cancel my debit card and send the new one to my working PO box out of state since I verified my identity through the questions asked. She also told me to call Fraud Central at 866-567-7760. I did and spoke with Lamar. He closed my old account and opened a new one. He sent me an email with the procedure to open a new acct with the new number. Problem was, it requested my current 16 digit debit card number. I had no access to it since it was just mailed to me, so he told me to call customer service.

I did and spoke with Alisha and Shanequa. They both told me that they could not give me that information and I would have to speak with someone at the local branch. I called the ET local branch. They also told me that the local branch COULD NOT MAIL MY DEBIT CARD TO THE ADDRESS I REQUESTED, but to the address on the system. Problem was I was not there at the time and had a house sitter there while I worked out of town. Not the kind of mail you want a house sitter to get a hold of. Had customer service not told me, I would STILL be waiting for the card to arrive.

I called the local branch and spoke with **. The worst of anyone I spoke with. I explained the situation. She bluntly stated that customer service was correct and MY CARD WAS BEING SENT TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. I had them cancel it and requested to speak with **. ** stated ** had left on a break. She lied. Because I had a mortgage payment due that was time sensitive, I requested to get the new account number so that I could pay my bill over the phone with my mortgage company. She said she couldn't because she couldn't confirm who I was over the phone. I told her that ** opened my account in that brick and mortar branch and had recently been my referral for Hope ** and Kristy ** of Camp Clearwater in order to purchase a trailer at their privately owned campground. I have the text from ** stating she'd be glad to be my referral on February 22, 2016. ** bluntly CALLED ME A LIAR and stated verbatim, "You did not open your account here." The nerve.

They lost or ** put in the wrong information and do not have me listed. I will be calling ** on Monday to get it cleared up since one of the security questions is "where did you open your account." When I told them at the fraud and customer service departments, they said the records show me opening the account somewhere else but could not tell me where since they do not know me in person. That I understand, but THE BRANCH SHOULD HAVE ME IN THEIR SYSTEM and I want to know what the records state as to where it was opened.

During this process, ** stated that she would cancel the debit card, cancel the new account, and reinstate the old one and that everything was fine if I moved the money before the scammers steal it. She lied. I called the fraud company back and they had already closed the old account and in process of closing the new one if I could not get to a local branch to verify who I was. I was OUT OF TOWN and could not do that. All I needed was the full acct number to my new account that had over $2000 in it. If the local brand did their job correctly, they would have me in their system, could have called ** on her cell phone (which I have since relocated myself on my old phone...wish I had thought to get it during this horrific time) to verify. ** lied and said she tried to call **, but in reality did not.

She slipped up later in the conversation and said is not allowed to call ** while she was on vacation. ** then gave me a number to a different local branch that was closer to where I was working. I called the fraud center first to let them know so that they would know what to expect to see on the records on their end. I called the other branch in VA before going in. Turns out that after asking a lot of questions that only I would know the answer to, they found my records, reinstated the new account opened by the fraud department, and gave me my acct number over the phone so that I could pay my mortgage account. The manager is ** and I also spoke with Teller, **. They were very helpful. Had it not been for them, my money would be electronically and permanently GONE if both accounts were closed. All because of the misinformation given and totally incompetent actions of **, **, and ** of the Elizabethtown Branch.

In regard to **, I am not sure if she is at fault if she did not put my name in their system correctly or that ** and ** had no idea what they were doing and didn't know how to find it. I will be finding that out by phone on Monday, March 14 when I call. I am putting in a complaint to them at their corporate office as well as soon as I can find the contact information. If anyone knows it, please email it to me at **. Thank you! They truly turned two days of my life into an absolute nightmare. No apologies from ANY of them. Not even for sending the debit card to the wrong address.

We tried to withdraw money from our account at an ATM, and we're notified that the account did not exist. We called the local First Citizens where we opened the account and we're told that we had closed the account, and our ID had been checked in order to do so. We were then told that the account had been closed a month ago. A second employee said that she couldn't see anything and we should call a 1800 number. A third employee then said that we had called in by phone to close the account. We were then told by a fourth employee that the account had been closed because of suspicious activity of the card being used internationally. This suspicious activity was relayed to us over a year ago, and we told the concerned employee that we spend time overseas, and we would be using the card overseas.

Despite this, the account was closed over a month ago, and a letter notifying us of this was never sent, nor was the cashier's check containing the balance of the account ($1587). The address on file was verified to be correct, yet we never received any form of communication, or funds. We couldn't check this online either. The account doesn't exist for some reason. Not closed, with a history of events. It just does not exist. Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Instead of researching the situation, false stories were fabricated that led me to believe that my identity had been stolen. Poor decisions were made back to back to back. Unbelievably disappointed.

Run! This bank takes advantage of those who fall on hard times and need a bank account. They WILL NOT POST YOUR MONEY ON TIME - IN FACT DAYS AFTER THE DATE THAT THEY RECEIVE THEM FROM YOUR EMPLOYER! They are awful. Do not bank with these people. Go to Walmart or get a prepaid card! These people will steal your money!

Fraudulent charges on my bank account. Called them about it. They assured me they would be removed. Almost two weeks later, they are still there. When this happened to me with another bank in Florida 15 years ago, I was credited within 2 days. Other problems with them. Their business website is beyond horrible.

This bank is trash!!! I followed their requirement to open a new account on July 10 and sent many times messages to confirm with them if I would receive this bonus. They told me many times I would GET IT soon (about 10 times confirmed). Recently I haven't received the bonus, then went to online to ask them. They told me "This is a promotion for new customers and you have a credit card with us, so you would not be classified as a new customer." Then I called them, they said NO!!! Lie, cheat me. Not responsible. Trash!!!

A month ago I cashed a large check and was shorted $1000. Bank closed after I left and it was Monday before I could get back to the bank to report the shortage. The bank employee told me they did a bank audit and they were not over so I just lost this money. 10-27-15 I went to bank at 2:10 PM and another teller shorted me $100. The teller counted money three times. I wanted to count again because I counted twice and the money was still short. Teller recounted twice and after second count said I was right she had shorted me the $100 and counted for the third and final time. I have lost trust in First Citizens Bank because of constant inaccuracies.

I don't like way how First Citizens bank charges people for getting their own money from their account. Even if you go inside to withdraw they charge you $5 out your own money. $5 at the ATM. $19 for a money order too. Now my grandma had First Citizens Bank for a long time and now they start charging people just to take their own money out. This bank need to be shut down all over South Carolina. First Citizens Bank are scam artists.

First Citizens Bank Company Profile