Albermarle, NC

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About First Citizens Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

First Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: Nov. 23, 2021

Can't get debit or credit card alerts. Since they do so many updates constantly the alerts get turned off and you can't get them turned back on. Example, your payment due reminder, if card was used at gas station or if cards were used. Now I get no alerts at all. Have called several times. The customer service rep first stated there was no problem but yet when you call you get a message that the system is having problems getting you logged in. She stated she would have someone call which she did and this customer service person actually stated it was my browser which it wasn't. I tried on my Chromebook and my their mobile app neither works. So she went in and cut the alerts on on both cards but they still are not on. I have messaged them and no fix yet. Time to change banks. Wouldn't advise anyone to put your money in their bank.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I opened an account here and switched my direct deposits and auto drafts over to it. My direct deposits would hit every Friday but would not post to my account until late Monday...so they are constantly charging me overdraft fees for transactions that hit before they decide to make my money available... ridiculous, I'm switching back to a bank that can actually handle transactions in a timely fashion. The point of direct deposit is to be able to use your money ON payday.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Absolutely terrible. My wife wanted to move to another bank and she chose First Citizens. We opened a joint checking, savings, personal checking (for my business), I got a FC credit card and rolled our HELOC all into one nice online interface. I set up auto payments for my CC, autodraft from our joint account the full balance every Monday. I bought some personal items I wanted to pay for out of my own personal account instead of the Joint, so I manually paid the full balance out of my personal funds. Their transaction process is so slow and archaic that it took my payment and then withdrew the full amount AGAIN from our joint account. Branch manager told me that "the autopay is going to process no matter what." So I had overpaid $1,364.00. It took me a MONTH to get credit back into my joint account. Absolutely inexcusable.

Then I had fraud on my CC. Its has been 2 months and I still have over $1000 of fraud charges on my account. Calling the branch is a joke. Called the branch manager repeatedly and "I'm going to stay on the phone until I get a resolution to this. I'll call you back this afternoon." 2 days later and no call. I call her and leave a VM. Wait two more days and call and leave a VM. Then I call the branch mainline and find out she's on vacation...AGAIN!!!! As soon as I get the fraud taken care of (2 months BTW) I am so done here and will IMMEDIATELY close all accounts and run for the hills to ANY bank other than FC. You've been warned!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I have a huge problem with your bank.

#1 No information about how long mobile check cashing takes until you make the transaction and then get stuck waiting 72 hours for deposit.
      #2 Taking debit card too long to arrive in the mail.
      #3 Took way too long for a representative to call my spouse who I added to my account.
      #4 Couldn't find the information of my employer who banks with FCB so I had to open an account and pay $50.

#5 Me having to express myself this way about a bank that handles my funds.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I opened a checking account with First Citizens Bank. It lasted two days. When I was unable to login, I found out to my horror that First Citizens Bank closed my account without notifying me. Not only that, they forced me to pay $103.26 to do that. I had to pay for checks I couldn't use, and the funds were not available because the account was closed without my consent. I will never trust this bank again.

Original review: March 1, 2021

They caught someone trying to charge $7000 and sent me a text. I never used their debit card once. I happened to log in to my account and a charge to a charity in FL as well as a charge to a Flower shop were allowed. Apparently, this happens a lot to this bank. The charity refunded my money first, so First Citizens got off easy there. Their money is insured, which they don't make well known. The police told me about their money being insured. I contacted the FTC, CFPB, police, etc., because no one in fraud seemed to be empathetic or bright.

I finally got the remaining 42.90 refunded for the flower shop fraud at exactly 10 days and received a curt letter stating they the bank had followed procedure and the case was now closed. No one at the bank seems to have the same information concerning different procedures, anyway. If you want friendly, individual service, avoid this bank. I don't think they care about their customer at all. I am really shocked at this whole experience.

Original review: March 1, 2021

After 4.5 years as a customer, I received a new $15 fee for online banking. The only reason I am a First Citizens customer was for Free Checking. Customer Service said I could go to a branch and have them switch my accounts to a different online banking system with very little difference with no fee. Could they make it more difficult. AVOID THIS BANK. Worst in class technology and branches closed on Saturdays. Convenience is clearly not a consideration for them. They are so bad, I get my SBA loans through other institutions and just use their checking in case I need a local branch. If they want to nickel & dime small businesses, I'll take multiple accounts and tens of thousands of dollars to a new bank. First Citizens is NOT SMALL BUSINESS FRIENDLY.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I can't get any support over the phone and continue to be sent to a local office to receive help. Once I drive to the local office, I see a sign posted on the door stating the office is closed due to COVID. I then go back through the drive-thru to talk with someone who gives me the name of the branch GM who can't seem to figure out how to help me either. He is very nice and continues to say he is "pushing buttons" and the back office will fix the issue one of these days. Well, the issue doesn't get fixed so I go on-line and am able to create a Bank of America account and all my issues are addressed and solved within 12 days.

I now want to cancel my First Citizens account and am being told I have to be back to the local office to close my account. This is the local office that is CLOSED and is the reason I am canceling the account in the first place. In the meantime, First Citizen continues to charge fees because I have transferred the majority of the money out of the account. HELP!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

First Citizens Bank purchased the bank that I did business with over a year ago. Since that time, they’ve continued to send monthly statements @ $5 each. I call each month asking them to stop. I’ve tried to close the account-they said my signature didn’t match. My balance has gone to zero, and they had the nerve to charge an OVERDRAFT FEE!!! Once they charged the overdraft fee, they closed my account! (Which is fine because I’ve wanted to close it anyway.) But I shouldn’t have to pay $35 for this. THEY dwindled my account down to $0 and have the nerve to charge me!! Customer service is unhelpful. They talk you in circles and in the end, rob you of your money through a $5 monthly statement fee that they make impossible to cancel.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have been a First Citizens Bank customer for 9 years. I have a savings, a checking and credit card with them. I needed to open an Estate Account for an inheritance. I checked with them to make sure I had all the proper documents. Went to the bank when I received the check and presented my documents. Their legal department balked because the Letter of Authority from the court was not original. Strange because I had the check in hand. Nothing illegal happening here. I went to First Bank of SC with the same documents that same day and opened the Estate Account there in 20 minutes. This is the 2nd time I have been disappointed by FCB's legal department. The other time was for a simple Notarized Signature that they would not do because it was a property sale. Went to the UPS Store and got it. I don't feel like they really want to assist their customers. Apparently, they don't need my business.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

First Citizens Bank Company Information