1.06/5

Albermarle, NC

69 First Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have owned many businesses and dealt with many banks but I must say First Citizens is the worst ever. Their online Customer No Service is amazing how bad it is. You would almost think you have to train to be that bad. Their Customer No Service in the branches are just as bad. Long waits, not enough staff, rude and they don't care about you at all. I don't say these things lightly but you have been warned. If you are looking for a new bank don't bother with First Citizens and go where they appreciate your business.

Original review: March 30, 2019

These people cannot be trusted. They tell you one thing and then act as if they never said it. I had a loan with a balloon payment which they said would be renewed. Exorbitant closing costs were charged, when confronted about this they promised when loan is renewed in 5 yrs the costs would be much lower and would make up for these high initial closing costs. Well guess what? After paying all 60 payments on time not one payment late, we also had a stellar credit rating. It came time for this loan to be renewed and they would not renew in order to avoid charging me less closing costs which they had promised. Had to pay this loan off. You can do business with this bank if you want to but you will regret it.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We applied online and they took our deposit but 8 days later they still haven't opened the account. Now they're telling us it'll be 5 more business days until the money will be refunded. Unacceptable!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

If I could leave 0 stars for this bank I would. Looks like someone else had a similar experience. Years ago I had a business account with this branch for my car dealership for all of 6 months before I had to switch to a different bank. I had an account with BB&T previously and felt lost in the shuffle of a big bank. First Citizens was closer to my business and I felt I would be better served at a local community bank but I was wrong.

We specialize in vehicles under $2500 and do maybe 60% of our annual business at tax time (Feb-April). After 6 months with the bank, we went into tax season and our weekly deposits increased during that time. The female business account manager at this bank all but accused me of criminal activity. I had been in the car business at that point for 10 years and never had anyone act that way. I AM FROM A SMALL TOWN AND WANTED A COMMUNITY BANK FOR THE PERSONAL FEEL. I will forever remember that feeling and that female manager. She came across as cold and non-personable (as far as I could see with myself and other customers, it was directed towards men) and looked past that until she called me to "discuss" my account. I promptly drove to the bank, asked for her specifically and told her that I would be closing my account due to her actions.

I kept my opinion about it to myself until today. Bank policies have turned local bank branches into anything but what banks used to be, which were anchors for the community. This is the only bank in the small town of Hollywood. I have a rental property that had an emergency and needed the septic tank pumped. When I went to pay the bill, the driver did not have change for a $100 bill so I went to the bank. Upon going inside to see 2 tellers, 1 customer and an empty bank otherwise, I was told they could not break the $100 because I was not a customer. I left, drove to the local gas station and without purchasing anything, they changed out the bill for me.

At that point, I was so disgusted that I felt that I should go back and address it with the manager. Again upon entering there were 2 tellers, 1 customer and an empty bank otherwise. I asked for the manager and explained the situation about a need for change to address this emergency I had to pay for at the rental property. I said I could understand that people may try to pass counterfeit bills but banks have machines to detect those bills. Maybe it was a matter of time for their employees because they were too busy and I could understand but that wasn't the case. The manager simply said that because I am not a customer their policy is not to exchange bills. A simple exception would have made all the difference.

So let me put it like this... THE LOCAL GAS STATION CREATES MORE OF A LOCAL COMMUNITY FEEL THAN YOUR BANK BRANCH. I could have gone to any business in the town of Hollywood and they would have given me the change. Your instinct is to go to a bank. As I see it there would be an opportunity to gain a new customer or at least a friend in the community that would refer people to your friendly bank branch or in this case to repair a previously damaged banking relationship caused by your man hating female employee. I wasn't asking to do some that raised concern like exchanging $5000 in small bills for $100 bills, I was asking to break a $100 bill for 2 $50s. Your bank could have made an exception. You could have scanned the bill or took my ID, or even a fingerprint, but you didn't do that.

Bravo First Citizens Bank! You once again showed me that your bank is anything but what it is... A money grubbing corporate machine only concerned about your policies and your bottom line. The community and the people in it are what makes your bank successful and you have obviously forgotten that somehow. You were never going to have my business again after the first experience. However you could have changed my opinion. Now in our small town, I will be happy to share my experience with anyone that will listen or asks for a bank referral or car loan. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Before First Citizens bought out Guaranty Bank, I was a satisfied customer of almost 20 years. Since First Citizens took over I am getting bombarded with overdraft fees. One thing they do is they take out the debt first then they put in your deposit, regardless if you deposit cash before the end of the day when the pending debts come out. Today, I can see that I was in the positive but customer service is insisting my balance was negative $1.50. From what I see online it was still positive until the overdraft fee. I cannot close this account fast enough.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Overdraft fees! When opening an account you have options and they go over certain things with you. As such is overdraft protection in which I've declined. After reviewing my online account I was charged (Two) times of $36 each in fees on top of the (Company's) auto pay amount which should have declined the auto pay. Instead FCB picks and chooses which items to declined and to accept an overdraft for then charges me this fee. So how can they charge me for something I've declined but still allow to process through to my account when I don't have the funds in there? Scam...

Tomorrow I'm closing my account and going back to a REAL BANK! People please DON'T USE FIRST CITIZENS BANK for anything!!! We work hard for our money. We pay our bills as we can when we can, stop letting banks like this keep taking our money! Every time I go into the bank I cash some of my check and deposit the rest and they never mention once about the account being overdrawn. This is just robbery and the tellers allow it to happen. Someone needs to stand up to them! We all need to stand up for our money!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Aggravating and inconvenienced - I was at the drive up teller and instructed to come inside to cash my check. The check was written from their establishment. Once I entered I asked why I had to come to cash the check. She said it is a convenience for their account holders and non-account holders had to come inside.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I made my first payment over the phone and I paid extra and wanted the extra to be applied to the principle and I stated this three times because I wanted to make sure that they were doing that and I call today to make my second payment and they state they cannot apply it to the principle over the phone and I am very upset and wish my loan was not through them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Do yourself a favor please. Please do not bank here. I have worked for JP Morgan Chase and never in my life have I had overdraft fees, I am 34 years old. In the last 6 months I have paid $700 in fees. If I pay my bills through the account it takes 10 days! For it to go through. I honestly believe that this bank has some algorithm issues because I will have funds in my account and as soon I'm close to very little funds EVERYTHING magically gets processed. Let me say this again, it take 10 days for transactions to clear. Also if I make two transactions for instance one at 10:00 am for $30 and one at 11:00 am for $10 (and I have funds in my account) the later transaction will go through immediately but the first transaction goes through 10 days later.

I call and ask questions because I am wondering why this is happening. I was a banker, am a finance advisor and it seems like I can't manage my money. That's not the case. One customer service rep said that each transaction has an expiration date and after that date THEN will the transaction be deducted. Then another rep said rudely to keep a register. Um we are in almost 2019. I'm a millennial. Everything is done through electronics in this time. I can't bank with Chase because I live in NC. Let me also comment that this bank is NOT ACCREDITED!!! I wonder why?! They have their own rules. Obviously they have free accounts but at what cost to the customer? Don't trust them with your money.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Please never bank here. They stole 600 dollars from me in the course of a year. Closed my account without telling me. Gave me mysterious charges after the account was closed. They don't communicate well at all. The tellers act like they can't pull information up even though I was told on the phone they could. And to top it off they make and act like it is the customer's fault. I wish I could sue. 0 stars if I could. Also important to note I've been with this bank since I was 11.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I am a First Citizens client since 2016. I came to deposit 2 checks and I was with my 4 year old who was running around. The branch manager told me, "You need to fill out forms" and I said I have a child with me and never completed one. She was extremely rude, and after I complained of her lack of customer service skills she completed them for me. I will change the account with another bank. I felt like I was in the ghetto and not in a bank. Lindsay ** should be fired. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

So for the past two years, I've been seeing trumped ATM fees, 3, 4 & 5 times. But this ATM fee isn't from the ATM machine. It's been charged by First Citizens Bank. I firmly believe this problem is grounds for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Before FCB took over at Guaranty bank I did a change of address, once again when it switched and my debit card along with pin number was sent to old address. Job sent direct deposit after closed account. FCB Did Not redirect funds back to my employment, instead they tell me they would send a check to only send it to old address again. I called several times, went into a branch to be told I have to wait for 3 months to get my funds. I worked hard for or for old address to return mail. They also refuse to cancel check. If I could rate this bank it will be 0!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

My wife and myself both had accounts plus a joint account with G Bank. Then FCB took over. Several of the local banking locations closed making banking harder but still bearable. Then they sent out new debit cards or so they said. Of the 3 accounts we only received one debit card and for that one the pin never came as promised. Activated the new card and for 2 weeks it was refused for every transaction. Getting online access to the account with their new code refused to work several times until I finally got lucky I guess and I could finally match a new pin to the card.

Twice I called customer service and in total wasted over an hour and a half (wait times over 25 min) and all I got was a run around and NO help at all. For my wife to get her debit card she never received they want her to waste more time on the phone before they will mail it to her. We'll be transferring all accounts to the credit union as FCB has had their 3 strikes. They currently advertising on the radio about their customer service but in my experience it only services them and is the worst I have ever encountered.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

First Citizens took over the bank I have used for many years. During this time they never sent me nor my fiance our debit cards or account info on time which locked us from accessing our money. Then they screwed up nearly all auto deductions causing late fees. Then they reject withdrawals. I went to talk to the very rude tellers there and they denied everything. Then they wanted to charge me $7 to get a print of my transaction history. This place should be shut down. Do not use this bank.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I was a recipient of a First Citizens gift card. I attempted to inquire the balance on the card and the website stated that the card was inactive. I do not believe that the card was ever used and it was within the expiration date. I attempted to call their Customer Service department and was totally unable to get access to the information on the account. I was asked the original purchaser. I was unsure of the purchaser. I was also asked the original balance. I did not have that information either. I am totally frustrated with their procedures to access the transactions on this account.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

First Citizens bought out my bank’s loans from FDIC for pennies on the dollar in 2009 when banks were crumbling. Profiting millions. My loan was a construction loan that was complete but not converted to conventional loan yet. First Citizens refused to refinance the loan and would only keep it as a home equity loan that was closed to draw upon. Since it was a “home equity” loan in their status, it allowed them to apply balloon payment demands once the term hit. During this recession no banks were doing jumbo refinancing so First Citizens tried to steal my house from me because of the equity it had. This bank only wants your deposits and to use and suck the life out of anyone they can get. Since they’re based out of NC, no one in any branch has a clue what is going on or how to do anything. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I just opened my account & I'm already having issues. Money is there & then suddenly it's gone. I filed a dispute & nothing so far. Meanwhile the place that took my money is still charging the membership fee. Supposed to be once a month and they have taken it out twice this month. Don't hear anything from bank.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I reached out to First Citizens customer service due to a charge on my account of $** when it should have been $**! I spoke with Janet and she informed me that there was nothing she could do and that I would need the merchant that made the error to call in and resolve the issue. I am appalled that this is supposed to be MY bank and they should resolve issues concerning MY money for me, not allowing a third party to take the responsibility of making a phone call. This payment could have been easily voided or stopped and I would have access to my funds but neither Janet or her supervisor Avery were willing to do anything other than tell me to have the merchant call back on Monday.

What if I need my money now, an emergency situation or I could be leaving to go on vacation, and I have no access to my funds? Thankfully this is not the case, but it could easily have been. First Citizens doesn't care about their customers and their policies are not designed in a way that is helpful to their customers. Please avoid going through what I have had to go through and don't open an unsecure account with this bank. It's not worth the headache!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I called on April 16, requested my accounts closed. The agent told me exactly what I needed to do. I followed the instructions and sent memo. They received my letter, but decided my signature wasn't good enough and wanted a notarized signature. I don't have a problem with this, except they failed to inform me and locked my accounts. It's now June 4, and I still can't get into my accounts, because they have a certain form they want notarized now. They refused to give me access to any of my money in my accounts. They keep charging me fees every month as they take money out of my account, but locks me out! I hate this bank!!

Original review: May 10, 2018

I have been a member with First Citizens Bank since 2006, when I was in high school. I got my first auto loan through them, co-signing with a parent since I had no credit history. Even with a co-signer, the interest was 14% for an auto loan. I went to college and used the account often, having both a debit and credit card. Throughout college and after, I had a couple high-interest personal loans that I paid off. I also had another auto loan through them, around 10% interest that I got by myself. I maxed out my credit card during college, but paid it off once I graduated. I have EXCELLENT pay history, never delinquent on payments. I paid all personal loans off, all car loans off early, and brought my credit card back to $0.00 balance.

Since then, I have applied for a small personal loan, as well as a credit line increase. I tried this multiple times over the course of two years, getting denied every time. Their reason for denying me has always been debt/income ratio. I can't help that I have student loans from college. First Citizens completely ignores my payoff history, as well as my promptness in payments every month. I have great credit as well, which apparently does not matter to them. I have already deactivated my debit and credit card with them and will close both my checking and savings account as well. I am disappointed that my history with them means nothing, when applying for new loans or small credit increases. I am taking my business to SECU.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have had a checking account with First Citizens Bank since 1991. Today I was told by the local branch supervisor that because they had reversed an overdraft fee for me 14 months ago, that they would not be overturning anymore ever. See, I actually did cause myself to overdraft and asked if they could overturn the fee. Last year when they overturned it, the customer service person informed me that they normally could do one per calendar year. So when I initially called yesterday, I had to leave a message with someone in the bank because the supervisor was busy. She never returned my call.

Flash forward to today when I had to call back again, I finally spoke with her when she gave me that information in a not so matter of fact manner. I've paid fees, overdrafts, and everything else over the course of 27 years and you guys won't overturn one simple 36 dollar fee because you overturned one for me fourteen months ago? I informed her that I would be taking my checking account elsewhere, and there wasn't even an attempt made to try to keep me as business. I'm looking forward to going to PNC bank on Monday! Good riddance!

Original review: March 12, 2018

They cheated. You call and tell them there a mistake and they tell you, "No that your correct balance" and you repeatedly ask if they're sure and they say yes. Three weeks later they take 5000 and place it on hold and said, "Oh we didn't do the transaction right" and now they tell you, "Sorry but we're taking this money."

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

For the second time in 3 yrs I’ve caught First Citizens Bank STEALING money from my account for absolutely no reason. And the kicker is... they are still KEEPING half of it. They don’t even know what a Calculated Service Charge Type 37 is. They even alluded that it was partially MY fault. And yes I should have caught it sooner, but I had TRUST that the bank wouldn’t just take money out of my account for no reason. They ADMITTED they made a “MISTAKE”, which they didn’t have an explanation for, yet their “POLICY” says they could only refund less than half of what they STOLE. The legal term for this is called EMBEZZLING! How can a bank take money for an account and keep half of it and say this is JUSTIFIED? How is this right? It didn’t cause the bank a loss of money to take from an account. So why First Citizens?

I have had an account with First Citizens since 1991 and it has absolutely sickened me that the bank that I have loved has chosen to risk losing my account for money that they TOOK and have the arrogance to KEEP it. Even the bank manager who I spoke with about this defended this business practice. Saying that it was policy not to fully refund money that they blatantly took. But, could not explain why this POLICY was in place. Just their POLICY. In closing, I will be TERMINATING my 26 year relationship with First Citizens Bank. It is obvious that they don’t care about personal accounts and doing what is RIGHT for their loyal customers. From their actions it looks like they’ve gone from being a family bank to falling right in line with all the others in CHEATING their customers. SHAME ON YOU FIRST CITIZENS!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I've been banking with FCB for at least 2 years, and my family has been with them 40+ years. I've never had a problem with them until the last couple of days I end getting a call from the branch manager here in Crewe, Virginia - stating that my account had been hacked and my money and info had been jeopardized. I was told that it was never my fault, but that I should use "harder passwords". A lady from NC was using my info, putting money in, and taking money out of my account. A check was deposited in my account (which I knew nothing about and had been Christmas shopping the previous day) and that it was a fraud check. Immediately I was scared and needed answers immediately so we sat down for a meeting and she ended up calling another lady from another branch for more info and help. She was very rude to me and kept pushing her issue that I had given my account number out on a check.

I NEVER in my life have used checks let alone even know what my account number is. Whoever the person was got my password from that mobile banking app in which I hate so much! So why exactly was this my fault I asked? Well, leave it to the lady. My passwords were too easy and that somewhere down the line I had given my account # and router # out. Eventually, she said that she'd investigate but I never gave her enough information whereas she could know more, and that I was hindering information. The end of the conversation was complete BS because I'll end up having to pay back the money that I spent (that I was NOT notified about being in my account). Lesson learned, and I will be banking elsewhere!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have been with First Citizens for over 30 years and never have I been so frustrated!!! I feel as though someone else is duplicating my charges! I keep up with my daily balance on my app thinking that would help me stay on top of my balance. Went to bed with over $600 in my account to wake up to $300!!! Went to the banks and they showed me a statement of what was taken out and they were charges that were already taking out (pending) but they said after pending it goes back into your account for a day or three and is taken back out. How do I know I'm not getting doubled charged? Their answer is to keep a ledger. I have never been so confused, frustrated and taken advantage of in my whole life! Leaving First Citizens!!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

First of all, what kind of bank shows the deductions before they show your deposit? Example, I get paid on the 1st, the deposit is there on the morning of the first. That afternoon I make three purchases with my debit card. When I look at my account online, I actually had the purchases taken out first, which put my account in the negative, and then they put in my direct deposit. What sense does that make?? And then even if I had a positive balance before the deposit, once they finish putting in all the pending things and/or purchases, I'm in the negative! I called one time and the girl kept trying to explain it to me, and would then have to put me on hold, because she didn't have answers to my questions. After her putting me on hold a few times I was conveniently disconnected.

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. Because of their stupid way of keeping account of my funds, I had more bounced checks and fees with them than I've had in my WHOLE LIFE. I only had an account with them maybe 7 or 8 months. The final straw was when I went and took out the majority of my funds when it was deposited into my account from direct deposit (to put in my other bank account because I no longer trusted them with my money and had planned to have my direct deposit switched), and when I got the text with my balance the next day my account was, again, in the negative. I closed my account the same day. See photo attached.

Before the deposit was made there were some pending transactions, but the balance was positive. They somehow managed to finalize the pending transactions, but still I ended up in the negative. Again, how do they do their accounting??? When I found these reviews I realized I was not alone. I wish I had done some research before I opened my account. They offered people at my job discounts if we opened an account with them. The biggest mistake of my life! Horrible! Horrible! Horrible! Please don't put your money in this bank. You'll regret it. Signed, At least $180.00 lost.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Years ago my father's account # was stolen off of a check somewhere locally and checks were printed with his account # and NAPA's name & Logo as the account holder (didn't match). My father had a CP who checked the transactions against the bank statement monthly. Because the account was checked 30 days after the fraudulent charge, I noticed when I got the copies of the canceled checks and not only did First Citizens refuse to give him the money back, they closed his account and refused to service him. They reserve the right to close any account at any time. My dad had only $90,000 in that account at that time. I still kept my account there.

Now since the merger/online changes, I am charged $36 to $200 a week in overdraft charges. I received $650 this week in child support alone. I made $1300+ last week and right now I am -$40 in my account. I've paid $600 for my car to be fixed, and $250 for my ATT bill. And the rest were $5.00 to $30 charges. I always check my account online to see what's pending before I spend any money.

They reorder all of my charges to the point that they don't know what was spent when. I had my card stolen and someone spent $233 at my local Walmart. I knew it wasn't me but because of the reordering, it appeared that I used my card at McDonald's (where it was stolen by the lady at the drive thru and used a couple hours later) after the Walmart charge at 8:00 am that morning. Anyone who knows me knows I was NOT anywhere at 8:00 am. I am so sick of this bank and the money they have essentially stolen from me and my family. I am leaving and filing a class action lawsuit. Local customer service is great. It's the policies and higher up practices that are the issue.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I recently had some really amazing customer service at my local branch. After having all of my personal information stolen out of my vehicle, they were very helpful in helping me take precaution when closing an account and opening a new one even though I did not have the typical forms of ID due to it all being stolen. However, almost 3 weeks later I noticed that I had funds that were attempted to come out of that account when I was told the account would be closed. This led to me needing to make several calls to customer service. Come to find out there is a service fee if you make more than 4 phone calls to speak to a rep. I never would have needed to make these calls if my account would have been handled properly and been closed when I requested it.

Most of the customer service reps were very nice and extremely helpful. However, the most recent rep that I spoke with REALLY had an attitude problem. In my situation, I have been a victim of crime and have needed a lot of help and support from my banks and accounts all around. She really made me feel unimportant and like I was in the wrong and that my problem didn't matter. I have never been so annoyed with First Citizens bank. Just yesterday, I was bragging about my bank. Especially after a lady called me from First Citizens bank in Lexington to tell me that someone was in the drive thru teller trying to act as if they were me. She reported to the police and did not give the person my ID or my card back. This circumstance today is what made me want to write this review. Yesterday I would have given 5 stars, today is much different.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I was double charged by Walmart Online Groceries almost $600. This and it incurred 3 OD charges! Customer service for my bank had to 3way call with Walmart online to verify that the charge was inaccurate. They argued when the Walmart associate said the initial charge is an 'authorization charge' and would fall off and customer service said "no, the money has been removed from her account". Customer service took off the charge and refunded 1 OD (they are only allowed to refund one) so I was referred to my local branch to get the other 2 OD refunded. Thursday AM I called every single branch in Clayton, Smithfield, Zebulon & left messages for management & got not 1 return call.

Today, I got in touch with a very nice lady at the Smithfield Branch. She was very helpful and understanding. She referred me to her manager after speaking to him. His name was Kevin. Kevin said he was not going to refund the two OD fees of $36 each totaling $72 I incurred through NO fault of my own but rather by being double charged a large sum by a company mistakenly. Kevin explain that it was not "bank error" and I explained it was not "the error of his longtime client". Essentially First Citizens is taking the opportunity to MAKE MONEY off a bad thing that happened to one of their clients! What kind of bank that advertises this 'helpful' 'you’re safe' attitude but takes every opportunity to take your money.

We are a family of 7 and a lot of money goes through the bank and we are seriously thinking we need to take our money elsewhere... and our groceries for that matter. So Walmart Online Groceries stinks because you get charged twice and you better have enough money to cover multiple charges! I hope "Kevin" and the CEO's enjoy my $72 in their bonus that could be going to my kids! All the money that bank takes from us over the years we could have bought our little’s a playset outside already! It is shameful that our bank is blatantly using this opportunity to screw their long term clients over. Wal-Mart gave me an 'oh well' and my bank flew in like a vulture. Perhaps spending a little extra at Harris Teeter would be worth it!

First Citizens Bank Company Information