Albermarle, NC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

First Citizens Bank Reviews

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I've been working with First Citizens since the first week of December, 2019. I submitted everything they requested within 1 business day of request. I got all inspections I Was told to get done. My closing was scheduled for Friday, 1/17. On Monday, 1/14, 4 days before closing, First Citizens requested additional paperwork. I submitted it.

On Tuesday, 1/14, I was told I have to get a well water inspection. I scrambled to find someone who can do it and put a rush on it. He completed it that day at 6pm, and dropped sample at lab at 630am next day. I got results back and uploaded to First Citizens on Friday 1/17. Closing was rescheduled for Wednesday, 1/22. On Tuesday, 1/21, I am told the USDA hasn't returned the Closing Disclosure (CD) and that there is a 3 business day waiting period after I receive it before I can close.

Rarely do the loan officers reply to mine or my realtor's emails. Sometimes we have to email the same question 2-3 times to get a response. They do not return phone calls. My realtor is still waiting on a return call from last week. I went above loan officer's head and called bank to leave voice mail for her manager last week and haven't received a return call. Today I called again, and this time went above her manager's head, and am awaiting a call. I also submitted emails to the loan officer manager via the website today.

They keep dropping the ball, repeatedly, on this. Not communicative. Not responsive. Now that I'm so far into the loan I cannot back out at this point and find another lender, and am stuck at the whim of them getting their act together, and as it stands, my loan closing cannot be rescheduled because they *just* submitted the info! 6 weeks after initial contact! Bewildering! I will not do business with First Citizens again, ever. This is the 4th house I've purchased in my life and I've NEVER dealt with such indolence.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I've been banking with FC for over 20 years. Since I've been banking online I've been hit with numerous fees. I called to complain and out of 5 fees I was reimbursed 3. The other 2 should have been reimbursed but I got 3 back it felt like a small victory. I had one fee reimbursed and 2 days later they hit me again for no reason. I figure it was to get the reimbursed one back. Every time I complain it's always my fault. They also hit me each month with atm fees for using their atms. When I complained the atm fees stopped. This is a very bad bank to bank with. They will hit you with needless fees and there is nothing you can do about it. Bunch of crooks!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

So, First Citizens is literally the worst bank. Normally, if the bank allows a charge to go through and it results in a negative balance you will not be charged an overdraft fee until midnight. Not the case here. This bank will let the charge go through, allow you to straighten out the account before midnight and then charge you TWO overdraft fees 3 days later.

Reference: I had a charge go through on Friday morning at 8am resulting in -$38.00. At 5pm, the account was still -$38.00. I put money in the account and had a positive balance until TUESDAY MORNING when I was charged a $72 overdraft fee. They say it’s because the account isn’t supposed to be allowed to go negative, but shouldn’t the bank refuse the payment if the account isn’t supposed to go negative? This is a horrible bank. The only reason I even opened an account here is because my employer writes my paycheck from a First Citizens account and they charged me $8 PER WEEK for 3 years just to cash a check that was drawn on their bank! This is a sham. Do not ever bank with First Citizens. They will screw you over and then do nothing about it.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

First Citizens Bank purchased the bank that I did business with. The Result: They shut down my Debit Card while I was traveling. Apparently they do not have customers that travel more than 30 days at a time. It’s MY MONEY. But with the purchase I had to follow their rules which required me to get a new debit card. My bank was sold before and I was not required to get a new debit card. I was FORCED to play by their rules to access MY MONEY. ARROGANT! Charges that never appeared on my past statements started to appear. Nickel and dime is how they they expand their revenue stream. GREEDY!

Keep in mind that I never chose to do business with First Citizens Bank. Suddenly they had MY MONEY and dictated that I play by their rules which are immersed in GREED. ARROGANT responses are all that I have received when questioning First Citizens Bank’s methods. MOVE YOUR MONEY NOW! ARROGANT GREEDY JERKS!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I banked with FC for decades before moving from NC. Because it was no longer convenient to bank with them and the level of service had been declining I changed banks 10+ yrs ago. The following is the 2nd unscrupulous incident I’ve had with them this year. On 9/26/2019 the treasury department on behalf of my federal agency mistakenly sent my travel reimbursement pay via ACH to my closed FC checking account.

FC did NOT send the money back!!! The electronic check should have bounced back immediately!! I called twice. I provided them with my ssn, the electronic check tracing #, and my old FC acct #. I was asked and answered my mother’s maiden name, but apparently I answered wrong when asked if it was a joint acct - I couldn’t recall - it had been over 30 years!! I was then advised they couldn’t assist me - I had to go to a branch - 100 miles away. I requested to speak to the ACH dept and a supervisor - denied!!

On 11/1/2019 a payroll rep from my agency then called and got the runaround, transferred to several people, was put on hold for over 30 minutes combined, and after 1.5 hours was told that the treasury dept. needed to call them. The rep explained treasury was making the payment on our agency's behalf. She was then told that I needed to call and when she responded that she was calling because I’d gotten a verification question wrong, FC claimed they’d look into where the money went and get back with her or me. This bank is totally desperate, unethical, predatory and insanely bold - they’re actually holding onto money sent by the US dept of treasury on behalf of a legislative branch agency to a nonexistent account. WOW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First Citizens Bank?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Do not use this bank. They will try to get money from you. We paid our water bill last week and it just now came out of my account today, ending with an overdraft fee. We will be getting that money back, even if I have to fight it in court. This wouldnt be the first time they have done this.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

This bank makes their money on fees for things you would expect to be part of the package having a checking account. For instance, an online transfer to a previously recorded bank generates a $3.95 fee. Calling them up to dispute the charge results in customer disrespect and of course they will not remove their unfair fees since they obviously make money on cheating their customers. I will never ever do business with them again.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

IF there was a choice for NO stars, that would be it. My mother had been a customer for years. We recently moved, and although we changed her address on line, unbeknownst to us, First Citizen's continued to mail her bills to the old address. So, she never received a bill and did not know she had a balance. Then one day, she received a call from a very rude individual absolutely berating her about non-payment.

My mother is 84. She asked to get me on the phone to discuss as I handle all of her financials, but the collection person would not even consider it. Told my mother she could not talk with me. Now mind you, the contact phone number on the account is mine. Did they ever try to call me? NO! I called to file a complaint and a "manager" was to have called me within 2 business days. It has been a week. Don't EVER bank with First Citizens. Disrespectful, deceitful and can't even change an address. None of this was my mother's fault yet they made her out to be a criminal. How dare you First Citizens harass an 84 year old! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

When I first opened the account it was set up wrong. I had to go to another branch who closed that account and opened up a new one. The first account opened the agent asked me questions and that I bet have never heard a banker asked. There was no eye contact throughout the M process. Because the amount of money I was depositing it seemed as though she was insinuating that it was drug money. When I went into the next branch a week later is when I found out that she had set the account up wrong. Because of my experience and several customer service calls that week they decided to give me free checks. That was in August. I guess they are on backorder.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have had this business account for 11 years. Every since that merger occurred with BestBank they have been inconsistent and really don't know their products. The different branches which are very scattered here in Georgia have different policies per branch as it pertains to deposits. I was told by the customer service center it's up to the branch when it comes to holds. Now I have an established history when it comes to this account and the type of deposits that are made but they will sometimes make deposits available immediately and sometimes just decide to do a 2-7 day hold depending on what the teller thinks. In addition, the phone reps never have thorough knowledge of the products they are discussing and somehow the security questions when calling in keep increasing and changing and don't match with what was on file the previous times I've called in... Very inconsistent and I'm closing the account because of it.

Not sure about First Citizens Bank?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

First Citizens Bank Company Information