BBVA USA Bank

BBVA USA Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.46/5

BBVA USA, formerly Compass and BBVA Compass, provides checking and savings accounts, credit cards, lending, mortgage and investment services. Product services are also available for remote banking, student banking and ClearSpend prepaid cards. Account holders can complete payments and transfers, pay bills, make deposits and receive alerts about their account activity through BBVA’s mobile banking app.

BOTTOM LINE

BBVA provides individuals and small businesses with low-cost and affordable banking options. Its specialty programs benefit a variety of customers, including mobile bankers.

PROS

• Banking app
  • Apply online, in person or by phone
  • Free checking

CONS

• Low APY on savings accounts
  • Limited branch locations

Top BBVA USA Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

The employees are always friendly and helpful. The financial advisers are always ready to help with questions. There seems to be a branch in most cities and their summaries easy to understand.

I have tried to call four times now. The first three times I would get someone who would transfer me then I would sit on hold for another hour then the phone would go dead. Last time I called no answer at all. They for some reason have blocked my card and have no access to money on it.

BBVA bank services

BBVA USA is among the 25 largest commercial banks in the United States. BBVA’s banking services include checking accounts, savings accounts and credit cards for individuals and commercial clients. The bank also provides wealth management services. Customers can apply online, in person or by phone to open a new account, and the BBVA mobile banking app lets account holders access their information at any time.

Some of BBVA USA's services include:

BBVA checking accounts
    BBVA USA’s three personal checking accounts – Free, Convenience and Premium – can be opened with a deposit of $25. All account types include online and mobile banking, no ATM fees and a Visa debit card. While the Free option doesn’t require a monthly service fee, there’s a $9 monthly service fee for Convenience and a $19 monthly service fee for Premium. BBVA USA waives these charges for meeting specific requirements, including qualifying direct deposits every month or average daily collected balances. You can add features like overdraft protection, cashier’s checks and safe deposit boxes to select accounts.
    BBVA savings accounts
    With BBVA savings, customers can get a regular savings account, an online savings account, a money market account or a certificate of deposit (CD). Customers can earn as high as 0.5% annual percentage yield on their savings. Except for the certificate of deposit, which requires a $500 deposit to open, all of the accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit. There are no ATM fees to withdraw money from a personal savings account.
    Credit cards
    Customers in Alabama, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, California and New Mexico have the option of four credit cards through BBVA: the BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints Card, Select Card and Optimizer Card. The BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints and Select Card come with special perks for avid shoppers.

For example, Select Card holders earn points on entertainment, dining, travel and purchases and receive 24/7 access to concierge services. BBVA’s Optimizer credit card is a good choice for consumers who want to build or improve their credit — it uses a savings account as collateral and offers a secured credit line that can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. All BBVA credit cards support Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.

Loans
    BBVA offers a variety of loans, investment services and specialty programs. Customers can choose from express personal loans, auto loans, home equity lines of credit, home equity loans and mortgage loans.
    Investment services
    Those interested in investing with BBVA can work with BBVA Investments, a full-service brokerage, and its financial consultants to prepare for retirement or education expenses. The company also offers online, self-directed brokerage accounts.
    Business checking

Like BBVA’s personal banking, small business owners can choose from three different checking accounts: BBVA Business Connect checking, BBVA Business Choice checking and BBVA Business Premium checking. All options require a $100 minimum opening deposit.

BBVA’s Business Connect Checking gives new business owners an opportunity to bank without the fees, and more established businesses have the opportunity to earn interest on their balance with BBVA Business Premium checking. Accounts include free online banking, mobile banking and bill pay through Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay.

Business savings and money market accounts
    BBVA business savings and business money market accounts offer small business owners the chance to put their money to work by earning interest on their savings. A BBVA business savings account can be opened with a $100 minimum deposit, while a business money market account requires a minimum $1,000 opening deposit.
    Business credit cards
    Business owners looking to open a credit card with BBVA can select the BBVA Visa Business Rewards credit card or Secured Visa Business credit card. Both cards offer 1.5 reward points for every $1 spent and additional staff cards for free. The $40 annual fee on the Secured Visa Business credit card can be waived the first year.
    Commercial, corporate and wealth
    Multiple solutions exist for BBVA’s commercial, corporate and wealth management clients. The commercial bank acts as a strategic partner to offer financing, risk management and wealth strategies for businesses, corporations, companies and individuals in 24 countries.

BBVA fees

The cost of opening an account with BBVA varies significantly based on the type — personal checking accounts may have no cost, while there may be a $1,000 minimum opening deposit on money market accounts.

Most personal banking accounts can be opened with a minimum of $25, and business checking and savings accounts generally require a minimum deposit of $100. The minimum opening deposits and monthly service charges for BBVA’s most popular products and services are listed below.

AccountMinimum depositMaint. charge
    BBVA Personal Free checking$25$0
    BBVA Personal savings certificates of deposit (CD)$500$0
    BBVA Business Premium checking$100$25
    BBVA Business savings$100$5
    BBVA Business money market$1,000$10 - $15

Costs may vary based on location — accounts in Alabama and Florida, for example, may incur a higher monthly maintenance charge than accounts in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, California or Texas. Most credit cards through BBVA also include no annual fee. For cards that do require an annual fee, the bank typically waives the first year’s fee.

BBVA FAQ

How long does BBVA mobile deposit take?
    BBVA mobile deposits take approximately 24 to 48 hours. Checks submitted for processing before 8:30 p.m. CT are deposited the same day, while checks submitted after that time are deposited the next business day.
    How long does it take for a check to clear at BBVA?
    While a hold on a check can occur for a variety of reasons, BBVA clears most checks within one to five business days.
    What time does BBVA direct deposit hit?
    BBVA direct deposits are accessible on the same business day.
    What is the BBVA Compass ATM daily limit?
    With BBVA Compass, customers can deposit up to 15 checks or 35 bills at one time, and they can withdraw a maximum of 30 bills at one time.
    Will BBVA let you overdraft?
    Yes, BBVA offers an Overdraft Payment and Protection program that lets you link a BBVA savings, money market or second checking account to cover overdrafts. Customers can also choose to opt out of overdraft protection if they prefer.

Is BBVA a good bank?

BBVA’s products and array of banking services make it worth considering for individuals and small businesses in need of affordable banking solutions. While branch banking is limited, BBVA offers customers nationwide the ability to apply online or by phone. However, be aware that customer reviews mention BBVA’s customer service can be slow to solve issues, and its online savings rate is lower than some competitors.

BBVA USA Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

BBVA has the worst customer service of any company I have ever used! I paid off a car loan with them over 60 days ago and they still have not released my title. Every time I call them to see what the hold up is on the title release I get a different reason from every person I speak with. When I ask for a supervisor they say they are all busy and that one will call me back. 60 days later and I still have not received a call back or received my title release. Hard to believe this bank is still in business. Stay away!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

I buy a truck from dealership. BBVA accepts the financing. It takes BBVA 2 months to finally send me payment information. After I receive information to pay a payment, I pay a payment, through BBVA online. Then I receive a letter from collections, even though I paid the first payment early. I then spend an hour trying to reach BBVA. I finally get a real person but she speaks broken Spanglish, even though I pushed 1 for English. She was really good at interrupting me when I was speaking, not good at listening. Finally I hung up and gave up. My BBVA branch service is just as bad. Excuses like not enough help or changing times or of course Covid. Been at BBVA over 22 years. They stink so bad I have to leave, no matter how bad other banks are they are better than BBVA.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

Worst customer service ever!!! I have been trying for 2 months to pay off my loan. I called customer service and no one can figure out how to process my payment so they transfer me from one department to another before hanging up or send me back to the queue. I have been waiting on hold for hours. When asked to speak to a supervisor they refuse and hang up. Most unprofessional, shady scumbags I ever met. Absolute nightmare experience. DON'T EVER USE BBVA.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

My experience with BBVA over the last few months has been a nightmare. I could never, ever recommend this bank to anyone! I made an honest mistake regarding a balance transfer and what should have been a simple resolution ended up taking almost SIX MONTHS to resolve. Cynthia, the “Client Experience Manager” in Grapevine TX, was assigned to my ticket after getting nowhere with BBVA's customer service hotline. Most of the time I would receive no follow ups or updates, but when I did receive a response, I was either lied to or given a generic response with no useful information. Several times I was told that there would be a resolution “by tomorrow” or “by next week” but then I would receive no further follow up.

To make matters worse, while I was dealing with this frustrating issue, I was contacted by 3 different people at BBVA who tried to sign me up for a new loan or credit card. Meanwhile, I couldn’t even get anyone to give me the refund that I was owed! This made it clear where BBVA’s priorities are… No concern for resolving a customer’s issues, but they are more than happy to take EVEN MORE money from you!! The fact that a bank is able to operate with such a fractured structure & poor communication while putting no effort towards providing quality service for their customers is astounding. Now that my issue has FINALLY been sorted, I have closed all accounts with BBVA and taken my business to another bank.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2020

I have had two issues with BBVA. Firstly they changed my mailing zip code on multiple occasions. All of a sudden, none of my online purchases go through. Getting this fixed is like pulling teeth. God forbid if you have to move and change your address, prepare for a 3 week fight. Now this is the kicker, my debt card expires in two days, and my new card won't arrive for two weeks. I called them earlier this month to get the ball rolling on a new card and they refused to help me. Now I will be without a card for two weeks. Did I mention that my child will be born in a few days. I guess BBVA doesn't care.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Apparently they’ve been rated “Covid friendly” for their response and customer service in relation to the pandemic. I have been a client since I was a child and I am currently in my 30’s. I recently over-drafted once (currently in good standing) and am suddenly unable to make mobile deposits for a period of 3 months. I called customer service twice and it’s a ridiculous built-in restriction of the system. So—if you are in a financial situation where you have recently overdrawn, they keep you from being able to deposit checks to —oh I don’t know—not overdraw again?? I am currently living out of state and have no branch near me to deposit at. Seems really “Covid friendly.”

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Interest rate plummeted sooner than any other online account I have. Closing the account and receiving my funds took well over a month. They even made a huge mistake and sent me someone else's closing check. Complete incompetence.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I applied to BBVA bank online for new business and personal checking accounts on July 29 and received an email to the effect that it is being reviewed. As I had heard nothing for several days I emailed and received a reply as follows: "Please contact our new products department at 866-617-5503 option 1 to decision your application." I thought this a strangely worded response and would suspect that it was worded by someone whose first language was other than English, and possibly indicating a scam or phishing attempt.

I called the number provided which was answered as the fraud dept and was told that they were not needing any further info but would be hearing from the department responsible for approvals as to whether my application was accepted. It is now ten days following my application and I have heard nothing further! I checked them out on this site and could not believe the amount of complaints. I will not contact them again and if I ever receive an approval I certainly will not switch my accounts to them.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

This is a small bank but excellent in all areas. The staff are super nice and very helpful. The app is very user friendly. Will loan where others won’t. Notary available usually. Highly recommended!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Great interest rate of 10%. Have to call annually to get a new card. Online website terrible. Have to email them to change your address. Minimum payment percentage double of my other cards. If not for the lower interest rate I would close the account.

BBVA USA Bank Company Information