1.03/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

330 Compass Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Four months ago a fraudulent charge was placed on my credit card. I notified Compass Bank immediately and was told they would take care of it, that I would not be charged late fees or interest until it was investigated. The following month the charge was still on my account, which is a violation of Federal Trade Commission regulations. I called them again and was given the same song and dance, with the added information that they had 90 days to take care of it. The following month the charge was still on my account so I wrote them a letter, to which I received no reply. I also began getting collection letters and have been getting them regularly now with escalating threats of action against me. I called them one more time, but nothing changes.

I have finally filed a complaint with both the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. There was nothing left for me to do since they absolutely would do nothing. I had even called the company that charged my account in June, and they claim they never made the charge! I notified BBVA of that as well, but they don't care. Maybe they will sit up and take notice when they hear from the Federal Trade Commission. They are required by law to remove the disputed transaction until it has been investigated.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I've tried logging-on my compass credit card to pay balance of $40.00, their annual fee (btw, my credit score was 837 before this incident. So, why are they charging me?). Tried and tried over several weeks, wouldn't accept my username or password. So, I called several times, listened to music, hung-up on me, bounced around. Finally somebody from Columbia, South America took my call. I was explaining problem of inaccessibility to my account to pay but call was hung-up. I called again, and again, Columbia, South America, different person... I explained problem, he waived $10 late fee but I told him to cancel my account. That I wanted OUT!!!

Nevertheless, several days later I drove to town, and then another looking for a Compass bank. I again explained my problem, unable to logon. He apologized, admitted he'd heard many complaints, but finally waived the annual fee then I asked him to cancel my account and cut my credit card in-half, which he did. Does anybody think "Problem Solved"! Several days later I get a nasty letter from, you guessed, compass credit. That they're canceling my account and downgrading my credit to 744.

Now, it's taken years to build credit to 837 by being disciplined but to lose 93 credit points overnight to 744?, and I haven't used that card account in years. So, I called Compass credit that evening, customer, dis-service told me he couldn't verify me as owner of account despite my giving him my SS, DOB, address (hello fraud?) and that I'd have to go in-person to a bank. This whole thing us about $40 to $50 that has consumed days and days and driving, more driving, "Pulling my Hair"!!!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have several credit cards, and sadly BBVA is the worst of them all. They promise rewards, but when you try to claim them, the website it down, and no one answers the phone for Compass rewards. I tried 3 times, waiting 15 minutes, then the line disconnected every time. So, that means my rewards are no available to me. That is fraud. Sounds like Wells Fargo.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK... Before my dad passed away, he used this bank and was in there every single week complaining about them. His information was compromised and he had to close his account and open a new one. My sister was listed as the beneficiary on the first one and they were supposed to set up the new one the exact same. My dad thought it was set up the same. Well when he passed, they opened the new account and didn't move over the beneficiary to the new account. This caused a delay in having access to his account to pay his bills.

I went in to pay his mortgage and his home equity loan and they were unable to provide a receipt for either of those. The manager took my money and gave me a handwritten note - which was acceptable, and given he asked for a different amount than what I paid for the previous month. On every single instance that we had to have in contact with the bank has been mind boggling. They couldn't get anything straight. We went to sell my father's home and they failed to send the paperwork over to the title company for our closing and good thing we caught it before closing day. They did not receive something they needed so they ignored the request. They couldn't pick up the phone and let anyone know.

Fast forward, the house has been sold for months now, and ironically we get a bill from the bank stating that there is an amount still due on the mortgage account that was paid off. This bank can't seem to get their ** together. I would hope that after I contact the FCC they shut this bank down. In wanting to leave a review about them, I found a ton of complaints just like this. I am not sure how they can still reel in customers with such a poor customer service. They hire people that don't know what they are doing and don't have experience doing banking.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Opened an account with them after moving to a new area of town and starting at a new school as a HS teacher. They froze my account one week later WITHOUT notifying me. Direct deposit went in but I had no access to it. Was planning on using my first deposit to buy classroom supplies over the weekend. Finally got ahold of someone on Monday. Had to take a half a day off of work during the beginning of school year so I could physically go to a branch and try and get to the bottom of it.

So they released the hold and admitted that it was their fault but told me I had to bring receipts to the ORIGINAL branch where I opened it... for all of my bounced utility payments etc. before they would reimburse anything. Then I get compounded fees every 15 days now for a negative 150 dollar balance. It’s now over 200.00 even though I haven’t used this account since. Seems to be a common theme with other customers as well. I will be closing this account with them. They are obviously looking to exploit and freezing accounts on a whim and without reason so they can collect fees.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Credit Card customer service is the WORST at BBVA. I was on hold for TWO HOURS trying to resolve a fraudulent charge which I reported the day after it happened... yet, SURPRISE... BBVA doesn't have record of me calling and reporting it. So they expect ME to make a payment on someone else's purchases? RIGHT. As soon as this is resolved, I'm closing this account. Consumer BEWARE, DON'T trust these people with your credit cards, Discover and Capital One resolved it in 9 minutes. It takes 2 hours with BBVA. Plus, rude individuals who decide to hang up on you... yeah, that happened FOUR TIMES.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

BBVA is a total rip off. A few months ago I put overdraft on my account in order to take 40 dollars and they charged me 212 for using my debit card to get the 40 dollars. I reluctantly paid the fee and brought my account back to positive. Just 2 days ago I called the bank to see why my account was $4 overdrawn and they told me it was because a $36 from a restaurant that I went to last Friday. Mind you that was exactly one week ago today. Then I call back today and now my account is $80 overdrawn even though I have never used my card since before I spoke with them. They are charging people twice for the same charge and I refuse to pay it anymore. Please email me if you have had similar experiences. I would love to speak to an attorney about our options. This is Wells Fargo all over again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

These idiots reworked their website, and now require you to give them a cell phone number so you can access their website just to pay your monthly bill. THE IDIOTS DON'T REALIZE THAT EVEN IF YOU ARE SUBMITTING A REQUEST TO CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, THAT YOUR ACCESS CODE IS BEING SENT TO YOUR OLD PHONE NUMBER EVEN IF IT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE! Months later, they still haven't fixed the problem--surely because they make more off of you in interest since they can only take a $1000 maximum payment over the phone. COMPLETE THIEVERY--COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE. Cancel your card if you have one. Don't open an account if you're thinking about it!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Worst credit card company in the country. They offer a 0% interest rate credit card for a few months, like many other credit card companies. But, until you sign up, you don't realize that they don't accept electronic payments. If you pay your credit card bill online, they force your bank to print an actual check and mail it. On top of that, their "system" takes a full week to "process" this check after it comes in the mail. This means that your payment is always late. Once it is even a few days late (mine was 3 days), they immediately close your account and report your card as "closed by company due to late payment" on your credit report. They refused to work with the BBB system to address this, saying that it's in the Terms and Conditions that they have the right to close the account, and so too bad for you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Imagine getting a check deposited to your account on the 11th and here it is on the 17th and you have no access to your account. BBVA froze my account because it seemed “fraudulent”. I'm unable to do ANYTHING and they’re advising that they probably won’t have it cleared until after 10 days!!! And they refuse to even release it back to the business that issued the check. I’m assuming a ** woman isn’t allowed to have that kind of money without bankers having an attitude or treating you like a damn criminal.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Denying me access to my credit information and not allowing me to access my account to delete my creditors in their system, I consider that stealing my identity because I do not know what they plan on doing with my information.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have an auto loan through BBVA. It is set up on auto payments. In August they took two payments. First they told me they would refund it in 3 days, then they said sorry, we have to mail you the check. Then they told me I needed to send them proof of the transfer. This was two weeks after the transfer and all they have to do is look a their own records. They have proof of it, then they don't. I decided to cancel the auto pay so it doesn't post in September recognizing that I am not getting my money back, even though this issue put my bank account negative temporarily and made payments to other creditors bounce resulting in fees. I am pretty confident they will hit me with a non-payment fee for September after this... I will never do business with this bank again and I implore you, the reader, to not do so either.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I got a car and they set up my loan with BBVA Compass. My complain is about my paid off amount. I paid my car off on 8/8/18, so I was waiting for my title to get home. After 3 weeks I started wondering why I still haven't received my title. Well, I called customer service and it looked like I still had a $27.59 balance on my account after I paid it off. This was very frustrating and unfortunately for me I still have to wait another 3 to 4 more weeks to get everything resolved. That's if they remove the charges. Supposedly, the online system was wrong when I paid off my amount and I should've have call BBVA Compass or go to a branch office to get the correct amount. I don't think this is right and their system should be updated. People should trust when they go to pay online.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I had a wreck July 3rd in which my car was deemed total loss. My insurance cut two checks the following two weeks (I had to complete paperwork before they sent the remaining). The entire time my insurance is working towards paying off my car, I HAVE CALLED BBVA THREE WEEKS STRAIGHT and by week three I finally got someone on the phone. She tells me that my checks never cleared so she gives me an address to give to my insurance which I did the following morning.

Fast forward to another three weeks, I call again just see if the checks have cleared to learn that AGAIN they say that they have received nothing AFTER giving me the address to send it to. At this point, I am livid. I paid on time and was a great customer to them. However, now they are a complete nightmare to do business with. I will not pay another dime to them until they have this cleared and they figure out why they can't receive checks to the address that THEY gave to me! Absolutely unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I deposited my check Saturday. Needed to pay bills. BBVA Compass as a whole was closed and no phone services available. I did my part and deposited my check. The money was good for that check. Had to make payments. The check cleared and BBVA hit me with NSF. I've been with BBVA since 2000. It was Guaranty Bank at the time.

I called to see if they could reverse the NSF fees since I had deposited the check before any transactions were made. At the leisure of the bank they cleared the check days later. I gave them a chance to do good business and reverse the NSF since they had the check already before the transactions were made. I was hung up on. And the supervisor was unsympathetic and of no help. His name was Edgar #**. BBVA exploited and took my money. They did not reverse the fees. Nor show appreciation for a long time loyal customer. They have a record of high identity theft as well. I've had my account compromised 7 times. Do to their weak identity theft protection. I'm leaving this bank.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I logged in to my banking profile and it's still not letting me add my banking information or change or delete my phone number or make any changes to my account, still not sending me a code. Keeps trying to send text to the old phone #. Keep getting error that "this feature requires a one-time security code" but doesn't or can't text it to me. Their customer support service is worthless. Not sure why I can't set up banking information to pay this account without the security code as it would have to be making the payment not some dumb hacker. That's how stupid their setup is. Not everybody pays or deals off a cell phone. Must say this is the worst bank card I've ever had. It's ridiculous that one has to go through so much trouble to pay one's bill. Hate the fact I got this stupid card!

Original review: July 21, 2018

STAY AWAY! They are so bad, I wouldn't even give them a rating, but they get a one because I had to choose. I opened a checking account on 7/12/2018 at the FRY ROAD branch in Katy Texas. I had a $1300 check with me for initial funds. I was told by the banking specialist (hahaha) that the fastest way to gain access to my funds was to do a mobile deposit, it would only take three days, so I did. WHAT A COMPLETE LIE!!! The funds had "POSTED" by Monday, July 16, 2018 but they were not available to use.

I called customer support and was informed that the mobile deposit could take 3-5 days to be "AVAILABLE" in my account. I was then told they would be available on 07/18/2018... ANOTHER COMPLETE LIE!!! I went to the bank at 4:30 pm on the 18th and was then told, "It will be available today after midnight." WHAT??? SAY THAT AGAIN??? "TODAY AFTER MIDNIGHT!!! That is NOT TODAY, that is TOMORROW. How stupid does one have to be. They have now held MY MONEY hostage and unusable by me for 7 days. Additionally, I was informed by the Assistant Bank Manager that mobile deposit WAS NOT the fastest way to get my funds.

Ironically, I go home to find my debit card in the mail. A lot of good that will do... I don't have access to my funds yet. Finally, I went to the bank on 07/19/2018 to REMOVE my funds and close my account. I was asked for ID and proudly presented them with my newly obtained Texas Driver's License (in paper form, because Texas hasn't figured out how to make them while you wait for four hours... ugh) and I was told that they would not honor the paper ID. Well hell, DPS just took my last license, so I had to drive home and get my passport. They are a bunch of lying, untrained, ignorant people ("today after midnight"). I will forever tell people to avoid BBVA COMPASS at all costs!

Original review: July 19, 2018

I refinanced with them. Huge mistake. They don’t applied money to account in reasonable amounts of time. Then charge late fees. No matter what you pay you are behind. To ruin credit so you can never go anywhere else. I also believe they know the equity in California and would like to foreclose on my home. I have paid every month. I am now filing with the government for unfair lending and have to get an attorney. Do not do any business with this company.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I called and did some disputes. They gave me a claim number which is ** and told me I would receive a provisional credit. I woke up the next morning still nothing in my account so I called and was told now I have to wait 10 business days and they gave me two different dates which was the 24th or the 31st of July BBVA Compass is full of crap. I had 192 dollars took out my account. I'm already off work due to a accident and I have a toddler and now I don't have no money till the end of the month. Once I get my money back I'm going to another company.

Original review: July 7, 2018

Avoid Compass (BBVA) at all cost! They claim to have ability to support international business and customers but cannot even support the US lower 48 states. I've submitted numerous formal complaints and their services and problems remain awful. There are plenty of kind and polite people who work there but the company has little to zero customer benefits that the employees can help with. On that same note 50% of the employees mislead and misinform customers and try to say it's federal regulations on how the bank is set up.

I'm sure they follow regulations to an extent; however, when I start to challenge on the difference between policy and federal regulations under Title 12 CFR, the employees lose ground on what they're talking about. I have experienced late automatic bill payments on large sums of money, I've been blocked from accessing my own liquid funds, I've been delayed for approximately a month and a half for a debit card replacement, I've been forced to use funds from my savings because of $1300/day & $3000/mo limits on my checking account when transferring to other Compass bank members to name some precise issues.

After being forced to use my savings with more stringent limits, they charge me excess transfer fees and benefit themselves. It is not right when you need urgent funds of your own, liquid money ready to go, and they don't allow you to spend your own money! I'm pretty sure that is illegal somehow. I don't wish to waste my time, energy, or money anymore with this capricious financial institute and highly recommend banking elsewhere.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I cannot recall how many emails I have had from the online customer service. I live overseas and the worst thing I did before leaving the US was to open an account with Compass Bank (now BBVA). Despite everything I went through on my requirements from operating it from overseas and all the confirmations I got - none of it was true. For years I didn't get mail/statements because their mailing systems couldn't cope with an extra line for another country. I constantly get told by online help to go into a branch and speak to someone and use mobile alerts (despite always telling them I live overseas). The mobile alerts do not work for any other country than US, Canada and Mexico... my debit card doesn't work online despite being told it should... and all I read is bad reviews on this bank.

Seriously do not use this bank, they need a major overhaul in their thinking and operating not to mention in educating their support staff to think outside the US box. If I don't use my account within a 12 month period, the make it inactive then it is a royal nightmare to sort out. Unfortunately living overseas permanently makes it difficult to open an account with another bank in the US and not be there to do it in person - despite being a US citizen. I keep trying to give them feedback on all the problems I am experience (which are probably very different to their regular customers) but I don't feel it goes anywhere. All the answers seem to come out of a customer service bible - all same wording... If you want more of an international thinking bank - try HSBC or Citibank - they are brilliant overseas and probably also in the US.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Beware of Compass Bank. I have had an account with them for a little over a year. Back in March my debit card number were stolen and somebody charged $165 to one merchant and $63.96 to another. Compass Bank is saying that I authorized the charges after disputing this twice with police reports. So long story short they will be debiting my account again and causing massive overdraft charges AGAIN. Do not for any reason open an account with them. They do not care about their customers and will let somebody steal your money while it's supposed to be safe in their bank.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Was hit with three overdraft fees this morning despite having plenty of money in my account to cover all withdrawals. When I contacted customer service, they had completely different numbers than I had on my online statement. I pointed out that when those three bills were paid, I had made deposits and transferred money into the account so that I had a cushion. They claim that my account was already overdrawn when those withdrawals were taken. My records show that I had more than $300 more than was required to pay all three bills. They were unwilling to do anything to help despite the fact that even currently my account is in the green. Tough to justify overdraft fees when the account has a positive amount.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was sent 2 different debit cards. One with a PIN and one without, with different numbers. Went to the bank and one was destroyed and the other activated. Was sent to the teller to put in my own PIN number and the new card was blocked. It took the manager 40 minutes, several phone calls and lots of apologies to straighten it out.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I am here to tell everyone about the ** service I have received at BBVA! This is especially to the location off of Cactus and Tatum. This is absolutely "the worst" bank in the entire country!!! I am here to warn anyone thinking of banking with them to go with a different bank. I was promised a $250 bonus when setting up an account with direct deposit. Well, they hemmed and hawed and kept telling me that they were working on it. It never happened!!! They will bold face lie to you and entice you into setting up direct deposit with them. This is a scam!!! On top of it, charges you make will not clear for days, and you never know your actual balance. I am telling you, don't make the same mistake I made. Any other bank would be better!!! Beware of BBVA!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I call the company on April 2 and I asked them to please send me a copy of my last two statements because they blocked me from getting into my account. The lady I talked to said that she would do it and waive the fee because I could not get into my account. She told me it would take two weeks to get them. Two weeks came and went and nothing so I called them again on Monday the 23rd of April and I talked to the fraud dept again. And this time I was told that the account was closed and they charge it off and that there were no statements on the account. All I need is the last two statements that were on the account.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I use the banking system in the last four decades. I was NEVER told that a bank like BBVA can close a customer’s account for no reasons until the day my accounts were forced to close on March 27, 2018. BBVA closed my family account last November and closed my accounts for NO reasons in March. The truth to be told the reasons for closing my accounts were the racism, discrimination, bully and retaliation. I stood up and asked questions and pointed errors that BBVA made to its regional officer, Mr. David **. Not only Mr. ** did not get the answer for us, he turned around to close my accounts and made an example out of my accounts' closing for NO reasons.

I had my accounts open since 1986 with Guaranty, then BBVA bought it. I NEVER wrote a hot check, always had a positive balance, I was an outstanding loyal customer all thru years. All communications was documented. Please ask your consumers be aware that BBVA will close their accounts for NO reasons. So, there is no so-called loyalty, so-called customer services. It is on its consumer deposit account agreement, page 18. Closing your account for NO reasons. BBVA will not tell its customer when you open your account, until your accounts closed for NO reasons. Please ask your consumers be very aware, do not stand up and do not ask questions, do not point the errors and mistakes to BBVA. If you did, your accounts will be closed for NO reasons.

Further more, BBVA will ask you the purpose of using the bank. Even we were physically presented us to the bank and submitted documents volunteerly, BBVA still wanted to have you to submit it again when they lost the copy. This is my very first time in my life to file a complaint publicly, I wish I did not need to. But, I want to do my due diligent to the public/consumers like you, so the public knows, especially for those minority people. Thanks. 4/25/2018, 6:25pm.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I'm currently on hold for the 7th time today. Nobody I speak to seems to have a full grasp on English and no one seems to have a clue what I'm talking about. I wish I'd checked with the car dealership about which bank my loan would be with. I'd never heard of them... now I know why!! I simply want to access my account so I can see how much interest I paid last year for my taxes. No one can do it. One guy was an ** and hung up on me, another couldn't hear me, another disputed my account number even though I was reading it right back to him from the payment card. Awful... avoid at all costs!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

This bank is the absolute worst to deal with for an auto loan. Others have mentioned an online payment system for auto loans; however, I have never been able to get that system to recognize my loan and I am not sure it is even still offered. I have made my last two payments by phone, both of which have been completely messed up by the service reps. One misentered my account number, and, although I received a confirmation number from the representative, the payment never went through and the money was not taken out of my account. When I called to make a payment the next month, I was told I owed two months of payments. I paid the amount and requested that the payment not be reported as late to credit agencies because the service rep entered an incorrect account and the bank never informed me of this error despite giving me a confirmation number for the payment. The bank refused to correct the credit reporting issue.

When I called to make my payment this month, the service rep told me I owed THREE months worth of payments. She was extremely rude. I was able to give her the date and amount of payment, which cleared my bank account. She could not find it online. After being placed on hold twice, probably so the service rep could locate someone who could actually read, I was told that the last service rep “misapplied the payment” and that is why it was showing up as overdue.

Again, I requested that this payment not be reported to credit agencies as three months late, as the bank has failed to correctly process these payments. Service rep customer service on the last call was extremely unprofessional and almost laughable. I feel like I have to talk to a supervisor every time I call now to make sure my payments are being applied and processed correctly. DO NOT ACCEPT AN AUTO LOAN FROM BBVA. Buy a different car or go to a different dealership. It’s not worth letting them destroy your credit!

Original review: April 23, 2018

Disclaimer: Star rating is inaccurate. Unfortunately, there is no option to give a negative star rating because otherwise I would rate this bank -5 stars. I am writing specifically about their overdraft fee practices. There is a fine line between unfair and abusive, and in this case their overdraft fees most certainly meet the definition of abusive. Here is what I experienced recently: Transactions: 4/17 - $12.76 Debit CheckCard Purchase at Pho So 1. 4/17 - $5.84 Debit CheckCard Purchase at DAISO. 4/18 - $15.51 Debit CheckCard Purchase on Amazon. 4/18 - $8.42 Debit CheckCard Purchase at McDonald's.

Posted Dates of Above Transactions: 4/19 - $5.84 Debit CheckCard Purchase at DAISO. NSF Fee Charge: YES. 4/19 - $12.76 Debit CheckCard Purchase at Pho So 1. NSF Fee Charge: YES. 4/19 - $15.51 Debit CheckCard Purchase on Amazon. NSF Fee Charge: YES. 4/20 - $8.42 Debit CheckCard Purchase at McDonald's. NSF Fee Charge: NO.

Referencing the above order of transactions, I called their customer service line and spoke with the supervisor who was incomprehensible and rude. He made some smart-ass comment to me about "how can a doctor cure a patient if the patient isn't willing to listen to the doctor?" Um, at no point in our conversation did he even bother to ask me what my issue that needed resolving was. So my response was, "how can a doctor cure a patient if he has no idea what the problem is because he hasn't listened to the patient?" BOOM!

Anyway, I asked why I was assessed NSF fees for debit transactions that I made on dates when I had sufficient available balance. Their response was that debit transactions in pending status post on a different date and your available balance on that posting date must be sufficient, otherwise you get assessed an NSF fee. Ok, totally ** policy but makes sense since that's what is provided on the written Terms and Agreement. Then I proceeded to ask, "great, then what was my available balance on 4/19?" He couldn't even tell me. My available balance was positive on this date by the way. ALSO, why the hell was I not charged an NSF fee for my McDonald's transaction then? As you can see, I made that debit card transaction on 4/18 and it cleared on 4/20. On 4/20 I did have a negative balance due to their abusive overdraft fees that very clearly arose out of maliciously reordering transactions. >_> Stay away from this bank.

Compass Bank Company Information