2. Finance
BBVA USA Bank

BBVA USA Bank

3.6/5 (238 ratings)

About BBVA USA Bank

BBVA USA, formerly Compass and BBVA Compass, provides checking and savings accounts, credit cards, lending, mortgage and investment services. Product services are also available for remote banking, student banking and ClearSpend prepaid cards. Account holders can complete payments and transfers, pay bills, make deposits and receive alerts about their account activity through BBVA’s mobile banking app.

Pros

• Banking app
  • Apply online, in person or by phone
  • Free checking

Cons

• Low APY on savings accounts
  • Limited branch locations

Bottom Line

BBVA provides individuals and small businesses with low-cost and affordable banking options. Its specialty programs benefit a variety of customers, including mobile bankers.

Top BBVA USA Bank Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

Verified

The employees are always friendly and helpful. The financial advisers are always ready to help with questions. There seems to be a branch in most cities and their summaries easy t...

Verified

I have tried to call four times now. The first three times I would get someone who would transfer me then I would sit on hold for another hour then the phone would go dead. Last t...

BBVA bank services

BBVA USA is among the 25 largest commercial banks in the United States. BBVA’s banking services include checking accounts, savings accounts and credit cards for individuals and commercial clients. The bank also provides wealth management services. Customers can apply online, in person or by phone to open a new account, and the BBVA mobile banking app lets account holders access their information at any time.

Some of BBVA USA's services include:

BBVA checking accounts
BBVA USA’s three personal checking accounts – Free, Convenience and Premium – can be opened with a deposit of $25. All account types include online and mobile banking, no ATM fees and a Visa debit card. While the Free option doesn’t require a monthly service fee, there’s a $9 monthly service fee for Convenience and a $19 monthly service fee for Premium. BBVA USA waives these charges for meeting specific requirements, including qualifying direct deposits every month or average daily collected balances. You can add features like overdraft protection, cashier’s checks and safe deposit boxes to select accounts.
BBVA savings accounts
With BBVA savings, customers can get a regular savings account, an online savings account, a money market account or a certificate of deposit (CD). Customers can earn as high as 0.5% annual percentage yield on their savings. Except for the certificate of deposit, which requires a $500 deposit to open, all of the accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit. There are no ATM fees to withdraw money from a personal savings account.
Credit cards
Customers in Alabama, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, California and New Mexico have the option of four credit cards through BBVA: the BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints Card, Select Card and Optimizer Card. The BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints and Select Card come with special perks for avid shoppers.

For example, Select Card holders earn points on entertainment, dining, travel and purchases and receive 24/7 access to concierge services. BBVA’s Optimizer credit card is a good choice for consumers who want to build or improve their credit — it uses a savings account as collateral and offers a secured credit line that can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. All BBVA credit cards support Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.

Loans
BBVA offers a variety of loans, investment services and specialty programs. Customers can choose from express personal loans, auto loans, home equity lines of credit, home equity loans and mortgage loans.
Investment services
Those interested in investing with BBVA can work with BBVA Investments, a full-service brokerage, and its financial consultants to prepare for retirement or education expenses. The company also offers online, self-directed brokerage accounts.
Business checking

Like BBVA’s personal banking, small business owners can choose from three different checking accounts: BBVA Business Connect checking, BBVA Business Choice checking and BBVA Business Premium checking. All options require a $100 minimum opening deposit.

BBVA’s Business Connect Checking gives new business owners an opportunity to bank without the fees, and more established businesses have the opportunity to earn interest on their balance with BBVA Business Premium checking. Accounts include free online banking, mobile banking and bill pay through Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay.

Business savings and money market accounts
BBVA business savings and business money market accounts offer small business owners the chance to put their money to work by earning interest on their savings. A BBVA business savings account can be opened with a $100 minimum deposit, while a business money market account requires a minimum $1,000 opening deposit.
Business credit cards
Business owners looking to open a credit card with BBVA can select the BBVA Visa Business Rewards credit card or Secured Visa Business credit card. Both cards offer 1.5 reward points for every $1 spent and additional staff cards for free. The $40 annual fee on the Secured Visa Business credit card can be waived the first year.
Commercial, corporate and wealth
Multiple solutions exist for BBVA’s commercial, corporate and wealth management clients. The commercial bank acts as a strategic partner to offer financing, risk management and wealth strategies for businesses, corporations, companies and individuals in 24 countries.

BBVA fees

The cost of opening an account with BBVA varies significantly based on the type — personal checking accounts may have no cost, while there may be a $1,000 minimum opening deposit on money market accounts.

Most personal banking accounts can be opened with a minimum of $25, and business checking and savings accounts generally require a minimum deposit of $100. The minimum opening deposits and monthly service charges for BBVA’s most popular products and services are listed below.

AccountMinimum depositMaint. charge
BBVA Personal Free checking$25$0
BBVA Personal savings certificates of deposit (CD)$500$0
BBVA Business Premium checking$100$25
BBVA Business savings$100$5
BBVA Business money market$1,000$10 - $15

Costs may vary based on location — accounts in Alabama and Florida, for example, may incur a higher monthly maintenance charge than accounts in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, California or Texas. Most credit cards through BBVA also include no annual fee. For cards that do require an annual fee, the bank typically waives the first year’s fee.

BBVA FAQ

How long does BBVA mobile deposit take?
BBVA mobile deposits take approximately 24 to 48 hours. Checks submitted for processing before 8:30 p.m. CT are deposited the same day, while checks submitted after that time are deposited the next business day.
How long does it take for a check to clear at BBVA?
While a hold on a check can occur for a variety of reasons, BBVA clears most checks within one to five business days.
What time does BBVA direct deposit hit?
BBVA direct deposits are accessible on the same business day.
What is the BBVA Compass ATM daily limit?
With BBVA Compass, customers can deposit up to 15 checks or 35 bills at one time, and they can withdraw a maximum of 30 bills at one time.
Will BBVA let you overdraft?
Yes, BBVA offers an Overdraft Payment and Protection program that lets you link a BBVA savings, money market or second checking account to cover overdrafts. Customers can also choose to opt out of overdraft protection if they prefer.

Is BBVA a good bank?

BBVA’s products and array of banking services make it worth considering for individuals and small businesses in need of affordable banking solutions. While branch banking is limited, BBVA offers customers nationwide the ability to apply online or by phone. However, be aware that customer reviews mention BBVA’s customer service can be slow to solve issues, and its online savings rate is lower than some competitors.

BBVA USA Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

This is a small bank but excellent in all areas. The staff are super nice and very helpful. The app is very user friendly. Will loan where others won’t. Notary available usually. Highly recommended!

Original review: July 25, 2021

I deposited a large sum of money into my BBVA account from my 401k in order to cover closing costs on a house. However, when it came time to do an early wire transfer for my home loan I was told they limited Wires/ACH transfers to $5,000.00 per day with a $7,500.00 rolling 30 day time period. This obviously was not going to work. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after 5 minutes was transferred to Rene' who would not provide his last name. He confirmed the limitation and since there is no local branch in Nevada, suggested I drive to Arizona from Las Vegas in order to process the wire transfer on Monday since their banks are closed on Saturdays. This would have been a 4-5 hour drive one way.

He then suggested using a third party to pull the funds from my BBVA account to a cashier's check. Mortgage companies do not take cashier's checks so I would need to deposit to another account that is able to do wires and wait for the check to clear. My house closing is in 4 days! I miss Simple more than I can say. I considered closing my account with Simple before BBVA took over and now I wish I had. My experience with Simple was awesome! I am closing my accounts as soon as possible and moving them to USAA who on a Saturday, made a one time exception to pull the full amount needed into my account with them in order to set up the wire transfer. Talking with BBVA customer service was like talking to a brick wall.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I was a Simple Bank member, who was bought and subsequently shut down by BBVA USA. After realizing it was too late to close my Simple account before the transition, I was forcibly transitioned into a BBVA checking account. To say they botched the transition is an understatement. Their phone lines crashed, their web servers crashed, and they just generally did not care about their new customers during this time. Calling to close my account took 8 hours over three days in May 2021, and I come to find out now that it still isn’t closed! After calling to dispute the issue, the customer service agent (with a noticeable language barrier) was rude and told me, in effect, that I was out of luck, before hanging up on me. BBVA is just as bad as their new parent bank, PNC. They should be perfect for each other. Avoid at all costs.

Original review: July 14, 2021

BBVA consolidated Simple and removed one of the greatest financial institutions ever offered to the public. Simple processed transactions immediately BBVA can take up to 5 days to process a transaction. Online banking is a joke. The website and app are a joke. I have had better luck using spreadsheet apps then any of the tools from BBVA. Last time I checked it was 2021 not 1980. Simple supplied tools to easily help you budget and maintain financial stability. BBVA has crippled millions financially and continues to be a failure of a institution. I will be finding a new bank as soon as possible. Worst bank I have ever done business with.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I had a Simple Bank account. It was recently converted over to BBVA. I didn't have any issues with Simple the entire time I had it. Also, I don't use the account for much. Now that it's with BBVA. I've had 2 issues in about the 2 months that I've had them. One was when I made a small deposit of around $700. It took them roughly 5 business days to clear. Luckily, I didn't really need it right away but on the day that it was supposed to clear there was nothing there. I called them and they said, "Well it can clear at anytime up until midnight..." Up until midnight. I've never heard of this. From any bank. Ever. Usually it's there first thing in the morning. It eventually cleared around 9pm that night. Again, I didn't really need it right away but it's just point of it. 5 days for 700 bucks then on the 5th day, "Oh it can happen at any time up until midnight." Seems pretty crappy to me.

2nd issue. I decided that it would be a good idea to pay my rent through this account because I wouldn't have to worry about any surprise transactions seeing that I hardly use this account. I paid my rent online on the 1st and for the next 7 days it just sat in my account. Also on the 7th day a small transaction from Microsoft for 9.99 came out (which was odd because it usual comes out around the 13th every month.). I saw that and deposited 20 bucks the same day. I monitored my account and the funds were still available.

On the 8th day I monitored my account and funds were still there. Then also on the 8th day I received an email from BBVA at 7:39 pm stating I had non-sufficient funds on the 7th day and I was charged $38 NSF fee. I checked my account. I wasn't charged at all. There was no fee and the funds are still available. 8 days now. Rent never paid. So I decided to just go back online and pay using my debit card. Usually that's instant right? I paid. Check my account. Looks like it went through and all is good.

The next day I get a email from the landlord. They are charging me $50 for NSF. I called them and explained and stated that I paid online the following day. They said they haven't received anything. I call BBVA. They said the debit card transaction is pending. It will take 3 business days and because I paid on a Thursday it won't be processed 'til Monday. 3 business days for a debit card transaction. Rent is still not paid. Funds are available and now I owe an extra 50 bucks to my landlord. I have the funds to pay my rent but can't due to technicalities or shady practices from my bank. Which is now costing me more money.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had a Simple online checking account that I opened several years ago and barely used. The company got bought out by BBVA and I finally decided to close the account. I contacted to customer service department and they said I had a balance of $10.77. In order for me to receive the balance I would have to fill out a request and answer some questions and then pay a $3 fee to have a check mailed to me, OR if I chose to, I could DONATE the balance to BBVA. What kind of bank charges to return a balance to the customer??? I don't care so much about the $10 but just the fact that they ASKED if I wanted to donate the balance to the bank is beyond infuriating!!

Original review: May 15, 2021

I am on SSI/Social Security. Last year in March 2020, an SS agent informed me that someone had opened an account in my name at BBVA bank and deposited (and withdrew) $5,000. I immediately reported this to the FTC, the IRS, and the local Sheriff. I called BBVA and asked them to close the account and send confirmation. The phone rep said someone would get back to me via email with the information I needed to submit to resolve the matter. No email ever came. I spent countless hours in their phone system loop, which does not even have an option for a non customer. The first teleprompt wants your account number, and at that time I did not know what the fraudulent account number was. Go through this three times then you have the option to speak to a rep.

The reps kept saying the ID Theft complaint was successfully submitted and they were "working on it." Lies. One year later I receive notification from Social Security that they consider this $5,000 to be my money and they are now going to deduct $95.00 per month to compensate for over paying me. I had to get super aggressive with the phone rep and demand to speak to a live person handling my account. He transfers me to some woman's voice mail and I left urgent messages asking her to send an information packet to my P.O. box. Instead, one week later she randomly sends something to my email, which I was not expecting, and which expired in 24 hours. I was expecting it in my P.O. Box.

Finally Social Security tells me in June, 2021 they will begin deducting payments, and they will accept nothing but information from BBVA about the status of this account. I tried asking for a hearing, they said no. They need something from the bank. So again I had to get all aggressive and start calling local BBVA branches to demand that I have an actual direct contact to communicate with to resolve the matter. Then I get on the phone and go through the repetitive, worthless phone system loop and the customer service rep says he will leave a voice mail with the woman handling the account.

Absolutely unacceptable! So I demanded to speak with a supervisor and while on hold the rep handling my account makes an incoming call and we finally make direct contact so I can begin uploading the documents to prove my identity, etc. She tells me they have to "open a new investigation." Lies. There was no investigation to begin with, because they needed my supporting documents to launch an investigation. So now I am distressed because SS will begin to withdraw funds, and although I have made baby steps toward resolving the matter I have ZERO confidence in this bank.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I have banked at BBVA for over 20 years. I always use drive up window for deposits and I have always received a receipt with current balance until today. The Geer Rd branch in Turlock Ca failed to put my balance on my receipt and when I asked for it the idiot teller asked me for my ID. When I called the bank to complain I was informed by another inept employee that I should get to know all the tellers names to keep that from happening again!!! REALLY!!! I could not believe my ears when he said that. I then asked to speak to branch manager. I was told he was “busy” again REALLY!!! I’m going to switch to Chase.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I was denied a cc because I applied using the first letter of my name and not my full name. I had sent documentation with both full name and initials. I closed acct. and opened at Wells. **. I felt if I were a great customer for six yrs with multiple accounts and outstanding credit. I was offered an invitation to apply for the credit card, yet the reviewer did not approve because I used my initial and last name. I had submitted 4 other documents to support my identity yet I was not approved. I wonder if my race had anything to do with her decision.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I've had this account for years & never had this type of problem but this is my money & reliability is important. I scheduled a payment of $7000+ to Commerce Bank using BBVA Online Banking. My BBVA account records show they remitted the money on 3/23 and show it as posted on 3/29. Today is 3/30 and Commerce Bank claims they have not received the check. I called BBVA to find out what happened & was told this payment was sent via the US Postal service. WHAT? WHY? All other payments I've made to Commerce via BBVA Bill Pay have gone electronically. Why did BBVA choose to send this payment via the US Postal Service with all of the issues USPS is currently facing. BBVA's poor judgment is costing me money!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

I recently paid off my car loan with BBVA. It's been almost 5 months and after numerous calls, being transferred, repeating myself constantly, placed on hold. I still do not have my vehicle's title. They are absolutely terrible to deal with on the phone, the insanity of repeating myself, the issue, the poor customer service, not having my vehicle's title is not acceptable. I would never recommend BBVA to anyone for a vehicle loans. BBVA has hundreds of negative reviews. How they remain in business is surprising. I want my title!

BBVA USA Bank Company Information