3.36/5

369 Compass Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

Keep in mind that I did not intend to deposit a fake check of $2500 to my checking account. I fell victim to a scam by a fake employment company that told me to use their check to buy the online materials I needed for the job. Being such a large amount of money, the bank put my account on hold for several days for verification purposes. Understandable.

A week later, I am rejected completely from signing in to my account on the BBVA mobile app; unable to access my routing or account numbers, my deposit statements, nothing. I went to the nearest physical location to try to seek help. One employer said that for closed accounts, they have to speak to their manager who was not there that day so they could not help me. They told me to come another day. After calling customer service, I was put on hold and then hung up on before even being transferred. I called again and got through to a representative. She told me that my account got closed automatically and that she can’t open it back up for my situation. ‘There is no possible way to re-open it’, she said.

I asked if I could open up another bank account and her reply was that my name, phone number, address, and Social Security number were permanently saved to a list that denies me any entry to rejoin as a BBVA member. Mind you, I still had money in this account which was not refunded to me before they closed it. Now I’m being told there was no way I could get my money back. The representative also added in, “Well at least we didn’t report your name to other banks that would prevent you from joining anywhere anymore.” So now I’m being branded as a criminal?! For a check that I didn’t even know was fraudulent?! Thanks for nothing BBVA Compass. You are a piece of garbage as a company and a poor excuse for a bank.

Original review: July 1, 2019

This bank has caused nothing but depression and grief. The customer service is horrible. Every time I go in the bank, I'm treated like a criminal, they always no more than 2 reps each bank. Now I have tolerated a lot from this bank but the last straw was when they charged me $75 just to transfer my own money to my own bank account. I'm going to cancel my account as soon as I can get off work.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I took out a HELOC in 2007. I was married at the time. I got divorced in 2011. After which my ex-wife declared bankruptcy. She included the heloc in her bankruptcy. I have been paying 350 per month since 2007. Since my ex wife’s bankruptcy BBVA has not sent me a statement of my account. I have spent hours at the branch I used to bank with trying to get answers about what the balance is. All with no results. I have had them hang up on me multiple times. This bank is a disgrace.

Original review: June 14, 2019

If you deposit in a savings account, even with cashiers checks, it might take 10 days to clear. If you try and close your account it might take 15 or 20 phone calls, 6-8 faxes and hours on hold talking to people speaking from a script and they all have different answers to questions. Please don't even think about this bank. I think the federal regulators and the FTC and the BBB should shut them down. I'm leaving NO stars, if it forces me to leave one to post my comment, I will have to do so. This bank is absolutely the worst company I've ever dealt with.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Payments to your credit card remain “pending” for days despite they were withdrawn from your account. Who is taking benefit out of all this money from thousand of customers flowing around for days? Seems a very borderline practice that probably leads to overdraft situations to customers, so generating issues with your credit scores.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was not able to activate new Compass Credit Card by phone because system didn’t recognize my social security number. But didn’t need card since I have credit cards from other banks. But in March 2019 it allowed Amazon to charge new Prime membership to 4 year expired card. I didn’t want to renew it Prime. So I was shocked to get a bill on expired card! I called bank & Amazon. No one could offer an explanation. Amazon more powerful than I thought and Compass more incompetent in handling on allowing charges to an expired card. Whole matter is outrageous!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Froze the cc for no reason. Told me to send proof of income, ID and residence via email. Still waiting. No way to contact them by email. Phone reps are pathetic. Still waiting to get reinstated after 4 weeks to no avail.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Thursday, April 18, 2019 BBVA Compass Bank Customer Complaint I am issuing this complaint to the BBVA Compass Bank Corporate Office. I would like to particularly express my dissatisfaction with Teresa at their Fraud Management Back Office. She seems to be operating rogue-like, making decisions or claims without evidence. Neither Teresa nor Compass Bank hold the authority to operate as if they are the IRS or any government entity for that matter. Several people have attempted to reason with her regarding releasing funds from my account. It is standard procedure that when a member closes their bank account the bank issues them a cashier’s check immediately.

I do not have any deposits or debits pending so there is no valid reason for Teresa to prevent a member from taking their own money out of their own account. Even another bank associate Mr. Raphael ** personally requested that a cashier’s check be issued, and Teresa has refused to cooperate or coordinate with him. Upon calling customer service numerous times I have been told that I simply need to go to the banking center and collect my cashier's check. Yet when I get there, they give me a totally different story claiming the funds need to be held for an undisclosed amount of time for unknown reasons. I have wasted several trips to the bank and several hours conducting dispute phone calls.

Please see my grievances below:

• In March 2019 I was persuaded to open Checking, Savings and Business accounts by John, the BBVA Compass Branch Manager and his assistant Mr. Raphael ** in Garland, Texas. Despite my prior negative experiences with this banking institution, I was convinced I should give them another chance. This is now my biggest regret.

• BBVA Compass Bank closed my Checking, Savings and Money Market accounts without advance notice, without probable cause or any explanation. Date of Closure: Friday, April 12, 2019

• BBVA Compass Bank Froze all funds in my Checking, Savings and Business accounts without valid reasoning.

• BBVA Compass Bank is currently withholding my own money that I deposited via cash/wire: Checking Acct: $23,879, Business Acct: $15,000, Savings Acct: $100,000.

• Back in 2017 my company used First Data; BBVA’s Merchant in order to process two $15,000 credit card payments from one of my clients. First Data chose to hold the funds which led to a long drawn out dispute with the bank in order to get it released. Since BBVA Compass Bank couldn’t handle the issue appropriately I became frustrated and chose to part ways with the bank.

• BBVA Compass Bank is claiming that they were the ones who closed my accounts in 2017 which is a flat out lie. I am the one who chose to leave BBVA due to their improper handling of funds and negligence.

• I was hoping as a professional that another fellow professional at BBVA would care enough to assist me in this matter. I thought due to my close relationship with Mr. ** at the Virginia Driveway/75 Mc Kinney Location would yield some results. However, after attempting to reach him 15 times via text, phone, voicemails and leaving messages with his assistant and colleagues he has refused to respond.

• In an effort to solve my problem in a timely manner I reached out to BBVA Regional District Director, Joseph ** who happens to be the boss of Mr. ** [Mc Kinney Branch Manager], Mr. ** and John [Managers of north Garland Location] and Eaton ** his assistant. I have left numerous messages and they never called me back. I have been left with no alternative or solution but to file a complaint.

• Due to my funds being held I have lost the opportunity to participate in a Hotel Auction, Tuesday April 16th. This was a 1.8-million-dollar deal now down the drain. In addition, BBVA has pulled my credit without my consent, reporting that I applied for a loan which I absolutely never did. Reporting Date: April 13, 2019. This has caused my credit score to be severely lowered. As a business owner and business investor this effects my ability to conduct business. BBVA lied by denying they ever pulled my credit however I have received Alert Notifications from the credit bureaus confirming they did it.

I am prepared to explore all my options to defend myself against these violations of my rights as a US citizen and high tax bracket taxpayer. After all the money and business referrals I have brought to Compass Bank this attempt to hold my financial property cannot go unchecked or ignored.

Original review: April 16, 2019

BBVA has been my mortgage loan servicer since 2016. I've had my share of negative experiences with them from mortgage issues to bank account issues to online banking issues. I just hung up with Jorge (hopefully I have the correct name) in the loan/mortgage department. I can honestly say that one interaction can change everything and it did. After being hung up on by a previous agent, he was courteous, professional, resolved my online banking issue (since 2016) and was extremely relatable. I just wanted to compliment this employee as he deserves recognition for his excellent service.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Once again I had to call the customer service department of BBVA Compass and was spoke to in an unprofessional manner. The young man not only interrupted me multiple times, he also raised his voice when I asked for clarification as to my SSN or Tax ID number that he needed being that I was calling about my business account. He yelled, "I need your SSN number." At that point I chose to disconnect the call. I only seem to have this problem over the phone. I gave the bank a one star because I do not have time to go into a branch routinely.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a business and personal account with this bank for about 14 years now. This bank's customer service is on a steady spiral downhill. This bank has a HUGE turn over in staff. This bank hires young children with big egos to handle your money. I'm assuming it's to pad their bottom line by getting them with no experience. These kids put holds your money without notification (BTW, same business checks deposited weekly for 14 years, never a returned check EVER!!) on their power trips.

Try and find a manager?!! Good luck with that! Either there isn't one, they're in a meeting or they were transferred to another branch. We spend several minutes, sometimes hours trying to find branches that won't put holds on your deposits. They also charge overdrafts fees when technically you are not overdrawn with pending transactions. There could be pending transactions that may not necessarily ever clear. This bank considers this a negative and charge $38 per item. That to me is a scam and I agree with the other persons nearly on every point in the previous comments. I wish I could give this bank a negative star(s) if this were an option.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Let say I would give the a -5 star rating. They are frauds. And they add additional charges to any and all accounts. And get away with it. Bank fraud!!! I have had an auto loan with Compass Bank for 4 1/2 year. This year I traded my car off to a dealership. Dealership sent them a payoff check to them in Birmingham Alabama. They applied the check to my acount. This where it gets crazy...and yes they are crazy.

Check was mailed 2/28/2019. Arriving at the Alabama office on 3/12/2019. Processed on 3/12/2019. Because it took so long for the check to be returned to the bank, dealership thought the check was lost. And they kept calling for payment on my car loan. Due on the 24th with 10 days grace. Dealership stop payment. Issued another check.

Overnight to the Alabama office. Received check on 3/14/2019. Signed by Murray. Because compass bank is so stupid, sent the 2nd check back. Also finding that the 1st check had a stop payment on it. My account is now 38 days past due with additional charges added to this acct. I have talk to Compass bank 13 times. 4 rude incompetent managers about my account. They said they will not take another check from the dealership. I need to make 2 car payments. February and March payments...$848 dollars. They have added $80 worth of additional charges. They won't let me talk to the auto loan department. I sent an email to customer satisfaction @bbva.com. No one has responded to my email. I have left several messages to BBVA Compass bank to call me back. No one has.

How can they refuse a check from a dealership who now owns the car?? Az DMV says the car us now owned by Freeway Chevrolet... not me. Bbva compass bank is a fraud. Should be investigated by FLIC. What they are doing is illegal. This is now on my credit report as missing payments. I made my payments on time for 4 1/2 years. Now a bank who is a fraud gets to ruin my credit! Run away from this banking institution. You have been warned!

Original review: March 20, 2019

BBVA was originally Gainesville State Bank then Compass, then BBVA. Ever since BBVA took over, this banks has become a nightmare for me trying to pay my bank Visa bill. I mail my bill, paid in full, the day after I receive it. November 2018, BBVA says they never received my bill. I called their service center, don't bother, it's in India or Pakistan. Now, I have receive my March 2019 bill and again no payment for February 2019. I mailed the bill on 02.22.2019. I went online and saw the check had been cleared on 03.14.2019. The first problem in November I put off as maybe the post office, but now three months later another problem. Not the post office, since all my other bills arrive on time. This bank has a major problem with their processing centers which is costing people like me money, and not to mention hits on my credit score. I am about to go to my local branch, but I doubt that will help. Customer service at this bank is a big zero.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I only use my account for DoorDash money and I wish I didn’t. When I cash out I then move my money to my other bank and they charge me 38 for overdraft fees when the account is not negative. I called them and they said, "No it was a charge that happen before your transaction" and that could not be possible because you can transfer funds that is not there. I hate this bank and I can’t wait to all my pending transactions is done so I can close this account.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Oh BBVA likes to take folk's money. They charge you a service fee that’s they take out whenever they feel like and when your other ** bounces because of the fees they decided when to take out your other stuff bounces. Jan I had 3 NSF fees. Because of that and now this month I have 1. BBVA is the most crooked bank and y’all think Wells Fargo is bad.

Original review: March 9, 2019

This bank should be under investigation and their ability to have a credit card bearing their name should be rescinded. I had a fraudulent purchase made to my account and the dispute was found to be in my favor but instead of crediting my money they added the purchase again. When I called-which is a joke in itself-I was told there was a glitch in the system LOL and that my money would be credited. Instead of crediting they added the purchase yet again so there are purchases on my statement that were literally made by the bank which I consider fraudulent as I did not make them and the bank is benefiting from these bogus charges. To say that their customer support is lacking would be the understatement of the century. It would take five pages to detail how grossly incompetent this bank is at solving problems and I have filed a complaint with the CFPB but this is such a convoluted case I doubt it will ever get fixed without a lawyer.

Please stay away from this bank - I wouldn't let them handle a my dog's bone much less my hard earned money. From where I am sitting they are thieves - I cannot get anyone in customer support or fraud support to do anything as I think they honestly do not understand what I am trying to get across and the whole episode has been infuriating. This bank should be under investigation.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I applied for a 0% for 12 months credit card and got approved for a fairly low balance. Just before the time the third payment was due, I lost my wallet and was scrambling to find it for almost a week. I found it and discovered that my bill was a week past due and immediately paid the amount past due plus $15 extra dollars. They took the late payment, asked me why I was late and told me they'd transfer me to another department to turn my card back on, as it was deactivated.

Once I got to the card reactivation department, they attempted to turn the card back on, but...later called me, informing me that Card Services has actually closed my card for good. Get this! They told me, through a third party, that I was free to reapply. I don't think so! I don't think so! I'm done with BBVA Compass. My Bad. I mistook your company for one that has better communications and cared. What a mistake I made!! Avoid this company.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I lost my debit card and canceled it and ordered a new one on Feb 4. Said it would be here the 14th. Then the 19th and I waited til the 21st to call again and order a new one. Said it would be here Wednesday and still no card. It's been 22 days total. No one in customer service can tell me why it's not here and even after asking to speak personally with a supervisor twice I evidently never did. I'm closing my account asap and going to Chase Bank. At least I know I'll actually receive a debit card that way.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

This is by FAR the WORST experience I’ve ever had in my entire life! Nobody knows how to do their jobs, they are extremely slow about any and everything! Their phone system will completely hang up on you while being transferred or will time out and hang up! Trash company! They no longer need to be in business! Look at all the reviews! They’re terrible! To save yourself time and energy DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT do any kind of banking whatsoever with BBVA COMPASS BANK!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I received a letter that I was pre-authorized for a credit card with a 13 month 0% APR. I applied for the card over the phone. The person helping me verified my pre-authorization over the phone and then submitted the application. At the conclusion, he confirmed I was approved for a 10K credit line and an APR of 17.49% after 13 months of a 0% APR. However, when I received the credit card in the mail, the letter stated that I had a 2K credit line and an APR of 27.49% APR after a 13-month introductory offer of 0%. This is incredibly different. When I called to dispute the discrepancy, I was shuffled between low-level support associates who would put me on hold and talk to a manager but would not let me speak to one directly.

Then, they said the amount given and APR were correct. I've escalated this situation several times. I finally reached a manager who confirmed that he wrote in the notes that I should just accept the APR given and stated that it was a "mistake", one that he meant to put on another account. I was finally escalated to another manager. She told me that she reviewed the recorded application process and can confirm that I was authorized 10K and 17.49% APR, but that the employee made a mistake (how could he, he did the application line through their system) and they will talk to him about it. She also said that the underwriter reviewed my situation and CHANGED IT, to the current offer given.

I asked on what basis was the change made and she kept saying "we're going to talk to the employee". I said, the underwriter is the one who changed it, clearly it wasn't an employee error; on what basis did he make the change? She then said "I can't tell you that". When I asked to be escalated to corporate for complaints, she said she works in corporate and I cannot be escalated further. When I asked for the name of the CEO, she provided a fake name "Onur Denc" - I made her spell it. When I did my own research online I found it was Javier Rodriguez Soler, someone who was named in January 2019 not February 2019 when we had the call. I have never been treated so poorly. This is a terrible organization. DO NOT bank here or accept their credit card offers.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I don't know who you are, I never made an account with you and never will. You STOLE money from my savings account yesterday through an ACH transfer, and caused me to investigate your company and file a dispute with my bank. You do not have authorization to pull money from my accounts at another bank. I called you this morning at 10:08 AM ET. Listen to the call recording and call me back. You have 10 days to RETURN MY MONEY before the investigation finalizes.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I recently got a credit card through compass because it offered a 0% interest rate for 12 months and had a large purchase to make. When I went to use the card for the first time on this high, it would not go through. It kept saying chip error etc. Remembering that the promotion also offered a 0% transfer fee, I decided to use my Chase credit card to complete the transaction (which had zero problems letting me complete the transaction). I then called Compass to ask if there was a problem with my card because for some reason it would not going through. They informed me that even though I had a $15,000 credit limit, I was not able to use more than $5000 a day. When I explained to them this made zero sense, and prevented me from using my card for the reason I acquired it for, their answer was simply, "this was done to protect you".

The next day I went to transfer my purchase onto this card, and was told I would be charged a 4% fee for transferring the balance. I got the complete run around when speaking to customer service about this, again with excuses how this was not their fault. So I decided to go work with my local Compass bank manager, where I have been an account holder with high balances for 16 years. After again explaining my situation, they "escalated" it to a district level where their review remained the same, this was not their fault. Unbelievable how poorly and short sighted they treat their current customer base. I will be closing down all of my accounts with them due to this and going to Chase.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The website bill pay page was down for a week. Error message on site said, "Unavailable call customer service." Message on phone said customer service unavailable for over 4 days. After 4 days and holding for almost an hour get someone who doesn't speak English and can't solve problem, gets frustrated and hangs up. They want to go into the account. Unacceptable when the problem is not the checking account. They could not even find my phone number and I've had the account for 20 years. VERY VERY rude and unacceptable behavior. Cannot make loan payments online because THEIR tech support cannot find out why THEIR site is having issues.

They just want to go into my checking account. That has nothing to do with it. Unable to get a supervisor or CS in the states. I've never liked this bank and stopped using their CC because of questionable info about them (name, location when went BBVA) but now it's worse. Try USAA or Vystar. Stay away from Compass. I can't even pay my loan payment because their website isn't working correctly but they refuse to investigate it without a lot of detailed personal info. Not cool... Not needed. Never dealt with a company like this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

When I got my loan with BBVA Compass, I set up recurring payments so the amount I owe each month comes out of my bank account automatically. The first 3 months went fine. The amount came out as it should. Then, last month the payment came out of my account twice! It's almost $400 and I didn't budget for that. I called them and my personal bank and it was corrected pretty quickly. This month it happened again! And this time it isn't being corrected quickly at all! They said I must have gone online and made an extra payment (I did not). Now they are saying they need to investigate and it could be 10 business days before I'm credited! I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing the amount came out twice (which they requested). I had to go into my account and remove my recurring payment and my bank info so it doesn't happen again. This is getting old and I'm regretting getting a loan from them.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Bank decided to close my business credit card without notice. Found out nearly two weeks after they closed it when trying to buy supplies for my company and the transaction was declined. Horrible bank, rude employees, shady business practices. Avoid this bank at all costs!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

BBVA Compass online bill pay... They sent my payment to another place. I closed my account but I got a return your money check. BBVA won't do nothing and owes me. And won't say if I can take this to company I owe... I'm tired of BBVA and their games.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

This bank is the #1 worst bank I’ve ever had. The employees don’t even know what to do. They charge me an overdraft fee every month because they show my available balance obviously wrong all the time because I have a positive amount and make a charge less than what that says and it goes negative. So I add money and they still charge you saying it went negative at 5:05 and you added money at 7:13 like wtf are you kidding. It was your dumb system that ** up in the first place. I’m done.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Received payoff amount in the mail and called Compass to give us the exact address to mail it to. They never told us that we need a new payoff amount. Found out a couple of weeks later that the payoff amount was not correct and that interest was still accruing. They told us that we still owe $337.50 and interest is added on daily. They wouldn't even talk to us to see if there are any options to assist us. We sent them a check by phone to clear this up, but we feel that they put us between the rock and the hard place because if we didn't send the check the same day then each day would increase the amount owed. We would be paying interest forever.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Wish I could rate them a 0. Absolutely terrible bank: (1) Lack of care for customers - there was an issue with my mom's account due to incorrect charges from a merchant. They never alerted her and instead made tons from charging her overdraft fees and interest. My mom goes into the same branch every 2 weeks for "personal service" yet none of those idiot representatives who know her by name alerted her to any issues with her account. When I called them out on this, their response was "I just work here" and immediately try to sell her another product.

(2) Sub-par account products - they charge to mail paper statements to customers and limit the number of withdrawals you can make from a money market or checking account. What kind of bank does this, especially when one holds a large volume of funds with them??? If you are an older person who is not Internet savvy, how are you supposed to actively monitor your account??? (See statement 1 above.)

(3) Outdated practices compared to other banks - another issue was thousands were stolen from my money market account and they had no mechanism in place to proactively monitor the account or alert me to fraud even though the transactions were outside my usual pattern. Had to speak to three different departments to dispute the issue and waste an hour of my time. Resolution pending. How is this bank still allowed to operate? Check their online reviews - none are higher than 3.5/5 stars and most are 1-2 out of 5 stars. This bank is overdue for a class action lawsuit. Save yourself a world of headaches and sign up with a different bank.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Before doing business with this bank think twice! Specially if you are from other nationalities because you will be subject to stereotypes and profiling. I work for a well known company in US as a designer, with a good reputation. I have worked hard for seven years to build up a good credit for myself and I have bank account in other banks.

The bankers of BBVA come to our company once in a while to advertise their bank and ind new customers. They came and talked and advertised so I opened an account with them and asked our HR to deposit my paychecks in the account. At the time of opening of the account I was a legal permanent resident and a few months later a US citizen. I provided all necessary documents for them and everything seemed alright. After couple of month I changed my payroll deposit account to my previous bank but didn't close the account and left 7000$ in m account.

I was surprised when I receive an email after almost a year that bank has closed my account. When I called them the didn't explain why they did that. No explanation, no reason nothing at all. After going back and for to the branch and calling the customer care for several times they issued me a check and still were not wiling to give me an answer why my account had to be closed!!

In a letter that later they sent to me it says: "The account is being closed and will not be renewed." I don't care if I don't have account with this bank, but it's important for me to be treated respectfully. I have been treated like I am a kind of criminal or have done something wrong or illegal using my account. This hurts my feelings and may hurt my credit that I have been working hard for it. NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK AGAIN and advise you not to do so.

Compass Bank Company Information