1.67/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Compass Bank

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

279 Compass Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

BBVA is the absolute worst and I have even banked with Wells Fargo and thought they were! I am so angry at them I just want to cry and they could care less about their customers. Obviously because their customer service never responds and who has time to wait on the phone for over 45 minutes. Their unexpected fees are deceitful. They charged my savings account $15 for a service fee and $29 in excess transfers... All without me ever knowing they do this. Why don’t they alert us if we are going over our monthly limit which I never did? Then, charged jobs so had to mobile deposit a check, a corporate check and it took over a week to release. In the meantime, I could see they were including it in my account and letting me use my card. Called and emailed numerous times about the hold and release times. No response. Then it’s released and they charged me $340 in insufficient fees.

All the times I have gotten responses, they are exactly alike and generic. Garble about I should set an alert and how they hope they were helpful. What a joke! And no response about the $340 which makes my blood boil. Now I’m negative and still being charged fees. And have no money. How do we get them to listen and refund all of us customers who have been ripped off?! I will be changing banks but never has one really pissed me off!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I receive gov't. adoption assistance. I mobile deposited check into my checking account. I was informed MY money wouldn't be available until 4 days later but my check has already been processed??? I don't understand that, I want/need my money! I called bank to have hold released. I had a personal emergency. I was hung up on by rude representative. I called back & a much more professional & understanding representative tried to help me. Every way possible & anything I asked to access my money he would ask his supervisor only to be told no every time. How inconvenient is this!? I had another problem month before with two other issues. I strongly dislike this bank and will be closing my account soon after I receive my deposit. Wrong choice in choosing NBA.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Dealership used BBVA Compass for a lender when I bought a used car. BBVA Compass has been a nightmare. First, their online payment system (for car loans) is apparently from 1978. They ALWAYS show one amount due (or mysteriously overdue, with TONS added for late fees) on their website, then they will say a different amount when they call you on the phone. And yet, there is always a third (and different) amount when they send you a letter! I've asked them at least three times for a full printout of my payments since the loan began. They simply will NOT send that to me - nor can I access it online. I firmly believe (but cannot prove it) that they take some of my payments and do not apply them to my loan. By the way, if you try to call them... GOOD LUCK!

I have never ever been able to call and get a person on the phone about my automobile loan account! The only way you can talk to them is if you are late on a payment... Which WILL happen because your payments will mysteriously go out of your bank but "get lost" by them. When you do talk to them. They lie. It's a fact. They say one thing--agree to fix it in your account, then they simply do not. They agree to "note" it on your account. They do not... Because when you talk to them next time, there is NO record or notes of any kind on your account. I want to sell my car just to be rid of BBVA. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN, EVER. THIEVES!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The representative of BBVA Bank that I spoke via phone was very knowledgeable about the issue I was calling about. She knew her stuff and was able to resolve my issue quickly.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

The employees are always friendly and helpful. The financial advisers are always ready to help with questions. There seems to be a branch in most cities and their summaries easy to understand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

They always call me by my first name, they are on the spot to rectify any issues that arise, and do so fast and cheerfully. This is perhaps the first bank I have loved having my accounts at... they are personable, efficient, personal, and I have never had an issue or problem that was a large one.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Worst financial decision of my life has been to join this bank when I got lured with their 1.99 % fixed HELOC rate for 12 months and with zero closing cost. There are too many fine prints and never explained the truth. They also charged early termination fee right in the beginning and refused to refund even though my HELOC is still opened with them after a year. I will be exiting soon and I wonder how will I sue this bank.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I have had nothing but trouble with this bank since I opened my checking account. Customer service is clueless and untrained. This bank wouldn't help me with numerous unauthorized PayPal transactions. This time they tell me I owe them $40 for them declining a $5 purchase after I had accidentally swiped my debit card instead of my credit card. If you choose this bank. Be sure to watch it closely.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I would give less than one star if I could, now I see why they are so poorly rated. Really! So I made a deposit into my Compass bank account on June 19th, got a receipt for the deposit, and today I find out that the money was never put into my account and that they are "researching" it... BTW, they do have copies of each of the checks that was scanned in with the proper account number on the back. But they don't know where the money went, so they cannot credit my account until the research is complete, which could take how long? Beware of Compass Bank! Do not bank there!

Original review: June 15, 2017

It took more than 15 working days and going to issue a replacement debit card. This bank as big as it is should be able to issue a replacement debit card from any of their branches. Smaller local banks do. I cannot even use my smartphone to withdraw money from any of their ATM machines like other banks do. Most of my online accounts got cancelled because they cannot deliver to their promises. A great total inconvenience to my daily schedule & transactions. Along the way during my inquiry of the E.T.A status of my replacement card, I asked what would it take in the future to expedite this kind of request to be processed faster, I was told that I have to pay $50.00 for the service. What a joke.

It's 2017 & free 2 day shipping is being used by a number of big companies and small businesses. I don't have a problem of paying a fee to get back on track to a reasonable extent but taking advantage of this kind of situation is just not good business practice. BBVA Compass corporate personnel or decision makers should learn from the small neighborhood banks about efficient & prompt replacement debit cards and smart phone-ATM transactions. This is my first time misplacing my debit card during my entire banking years and I know now that if it happens again in the future and I had to go thru this one more time, I would rather close all my accounts with them rather than getting stressed. And easily open accounts to those other banks that has better, logical, modern customer service.

Original review: June 13, 2017

Horrible customer service. I purchased a car in 2016 and received financing from BBVA Compass Bank. In July, 2016 I got divorced and legally changed my name. I called to find out what I needed to do and they told me to submit documents to them and once processed I would have to pay $12 (to change my name?!). I submitted name change documents to them multiple times over the next 7 months, each time they claimed they could not read it, or they needed something else.

In February, 2017 I decided to refinanced my vehicle with another bank, and figured they'd figure out the name change situation when they got the payoff (or not, because what did I care since I'd be leaving them). I had made a payment due to a car accident that had delayed my refinance. I also had moved at the end of January. I called BBVA in February, due to an overpayment on my account, and informed them I had changed my address. The gentleman I spoke with said he would update my information, and luckily the check had not gone out so it should updated that week and mail out the following week.

After a few weeks I realized I had not received the check and called them again. They said they had mailed out the check prior to my call updating my address, and to allow more time for receipt. I called again a few weeks later and was informed that in order to have the check reissued I had to submit an "indemnification" letter stating I didn't receive the first one, and to update my address. It took 10 business days (nearly 2 weeks) for me to get the letter, which I mailed back the day after I received it. I allowed 2 weeks for them to get it back, and then called to confirm. I was informed that it goes to a specific person and nothing had been noted yet but that they "probably" got it and to allow a few more days.

Life, of course, picked up and I got busy with work and essentially forgot about it for about a month. On June 5, 2017 I called BBVA at 10:58 am (MST) and spoke with Yomaris. She let me know that the check had been reissued to me in April, but was returned to them on May 23rd. No reason stated. I inquired why they didn't call me to verify my address, and she said that "sometimes" they do. Sometimes, but not this time. She informed me that she would submit a research ticket and call me back in 2-3 business days. On June 13th I called them as I had not received a call, and after explaining that I was checking on the status of a check that was returned and needing to be reissued, was asked AGAIN if I got the indemnification letter and sent it back. At this point I am fed up and asked to speak with a supervisor.

The gentleman (Jamie he said his name was) continued to ask me questions, and I stated I needed a supervisor and did not wish to speak with him any further. He put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and when he came back he said that the supervisor had explained that the check was reissued on June 8th, that there was not much more he could do. He said a "back office" person was handling my account. When I asked for their name, he said they do not speak with customers (which is ridiculous). I asked for names of people I had spoken with, which he all but refused to provide, and I said, "OR you can put me on with the supervisor since that is what I asked you to do." He said that there was no more the supervisor could do.

I am 100% dissatisfied with this bank. They clearly take notes during each call, or why would they ask so many questions, but they do not read them when customers call back. I understand it's only $452 but at this point it is the principle. They are not helpful, do not follow up when they say they are going to, and are really horrible people. There is a Compass Bank down the street from both my home, AND work and I would have been happy to go into the branch to resolve this had they been more communicative and responded when I asked. I asked for the gal's name that I sent the letter to, he said Shannon ** (I don't think that was it), and the manager/supervisor was Abel. I DO NOT recommend this bank to anyone and if you bank there, get out while you can.

Original review: June 8, 2017

WARNING: Stay away from BBVA Compass! I opened an account at BBVA Compass in August of 2010. I have the original paperwork that clearly states there are no service charges. I received a letter in March of 2011 that also confirms there are no service charges. In May 2017, I received a statement dated April 1, 2017, indicating that a $15 monthly service charge was removed from my account. This was the first letter regarding the account since 2011. After making a few phone calls I learned BBVA Compass changed the account, without notifying me, and has been taking $15 a month for years! I know they have taken at least $450, but they are refusing to provide a statement showing the full amount.

I have been trying for over a month to get a statement from BBVA Compass showing the total amount they took from my account, and to get them to return the money. After the first week a branch manager, Carlos **, said all he could do was return $45. What the hell is wrong with these people! During the second week I was directed to communicate with Renee ** at BBVA Compass regarding the issue. Wednesday, May 17, 2017, I sent her an email requesting an itemized list of fees taken from my account and a refund for that amount. I have not receive any communications from Renee **, other than answering my phone call to confirm she received my email request.

I have reported BBVA Compass to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta for changing my account without notifying me, taking money from the account without my authorization, and for not providing records of the money they took from me. It has been a month since I learned BBVA changed my account and has been taking my money. It appears it's going to be a long battle to get my money back, so I advise anyone doing business or thinking of doing business with BBVA Compass to stay away!!

Original review: May 24, 2017

BBVA Compass Bank held lien on a vehicle that we purchased. We sent them the payoff and they mailed us the title, but it was lost in the mail. I called to check on the title status and if necessary get a duplicate title. This is where the REAL problem began. I have been promised that I would have a new title in 6-8 weeks. It is now over 6 weeks later and they have still not processed this lost title. They just sent out the lost title paperwork (6 weeks after promised) and are now telling me that it will be 6-8 weeks for me to get a title. I have all dates and times documented and HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you do not do business with this company. They have continually and blatantly lied to me. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

Original review: May 22, 2017

Pictured it, credit scores of 780 and 850, both employed, household income in the 6 figures. Home equity loan department and mortgage department don't work with each other or speak to one another. This is the same bank. We are sending paperwork to both departments multiple times in 9 months. Credit scores have to be pulled 4 times during the span of 9 months, twice by each department because the departments are not allowed to be efficient and communicate. Paperwork and paystubs keep expiring.

After 9 months, I found out the mortgage department only processed my husband's employment and income. It would have been fine considering my husband's income exceeded the refinance amount. Needless to say, the refinance and HELOC fell though because of the level of incompetence and missteps. Their reason for us was too many inquiries, 4 of the 6 were theirs. Two were inquiries but didn't result in new debt. Please beware of this bank. There are reasons why these many complaints exist. I should have done my research first.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I called BBV Compass Bank to make a payment. The guy I spoke to you could hardly understand anything he was saying, I asked if he had allergies or a cold and he said he did but his words were all mixed up like he was on drugs. He asked right away for my routing number on my check. He didn't ask for my account number and once I questioned that he then asked for it. But then went on asking for my bank account number so he can withdraw money from my bank for the payment and that is without giving me my balance until I asked him for my balance that is due. My balance was $80. And he said 800. All of this may be really leery if this was actually the BBVA bank I had actually called. I asked for his name, he said, "Juan." Never doing business with them again.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Bad customer service. I have a auto loan with them. I lost my job and got behind on my payments. I called to make payment arrangements, they won't remove any late fee, repo fee, and they charged me an extra $1000 just because... it didn't go toward my loan, it was a dumb fee, I can't remember. I got behind again on my loan but this time I paid partial payments (my notes are $1100 I paid $900) for 3 months. I went to the bank to make a full payment they wouldn't take my payment. I call they tell me my car is in repo status. When I call the 800 number on my payment book they say they can't talk to me. The department I need to talk to closes at 4:30 p. They don't want to help you with payments. It's their way or no way! I had a car loan with Suntrust bank they are so good and nice. BBVA bank are rude, bullies, and don't care about their customers. DON'T BANK WITH THEM!

Original review: April 24, 2017

This bank is terrible. Setting aside many, many of their terrible policies, the last straw started when they refused to accept a Cashier's check for a loan payoff because an employee of the bank that issued the check made a small notation on it. As if that wasn't enough, I then had the other bank wire the loan payment to BBVA Compass, who received the wire and confirmed to me over the phone that it had arrived. Then, without attempting to contact me, BBVA Compass returned the wire payment to my other bank, one day before the regularly scheduled payment was due and without giving me any notification even though I was in contact with their Loan Department several times after they received the wire.

The reason they gave for returning the wire was that the amount was less than the full payoff amount for the loan. This is no reason to return the wire transfer. This loan is a revolving loan, like a credit card, where you have a minimum payment each month, but you can pay off some or all of the principal at any time. There is no requirement that a prepayment to be for the full outstanding balance. So, after wasting my time when I brought them a Cashier's check, they not only cost me a $15 wire transfer fee, but now I have to make further arrangements to make the regularly scheduled payment on one day's notice.

In addition, prior to this, not only does Compass send out loan payment invoices about 7 days before the actual due date, but they also submitted false information to the credit reporting agencies for my wife and me. They apparently discovered the mistake and corrected the report for me, but failed to make correction on my wife's credit report. Of course, this was not discovered until an accurate credit report was needed, so Compass Bank caused a lot of inconvenience and hardship. They claimed they would not be able to do anything about their credit mistake for up to 10 business days! The next day I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and magically they submitted a correction the next day (supposedly -- I still haven't paid the fee to pull another credit report to confirm). In short, they are absolutely terrible and I would strongly recommend against having any relationship with them.

Original review: April 14, 2017

People here at this branch are very unprofessional and unethical. They never deliver on their promises. Brian, the bank manager, a very unprofessional person and a slacker, he lied several times and delayed our loan process and our commercial vehicle registration, and we suffered a heavy loss. He would never accept accountability, and the bank seems like backs him up. I don't recommend banking with BBVA, go with BOA or Chase. Thanks.

Original review: April 7, 2017

Worst experience of me! If you are looking to refinance or get a mortgage do yourself a favor and research Bbva Compass the horror stories are endless. It's unbelievable to witness upper management nonchalantly admit their ineptitude and incompetence and then point you out as the problem. WATCH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: March 20, 2017

I have had an Auto loan with Compass Bank since 2012. This loan was set up on auto pay so I have not missed a payment, nor ever late with a payment since the loan inception. I called asking to have one payment moved to the end of the loan as I am unable to make this month's payment. Compass Bank was not willing to accommodate my request after 4 years of timely payments. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable as a financial institute. Any financial institute that is TRULY INTERESTED in maintaining customer satisfaction would accommodate my request. My wife's bank has done it for her, not once, but twice. I will never use Compass Bank for any financial needs in the future, EVER. I will also discourage as many people as possible from doing so as well.

Original review: March 13, 2017

BBVA has very helpful, polite, knowledgeable people. They do almost everything electronically or through the phone and it makes it very convenient. The customer service people assigned to me were very professional and always kept me informed about where I was in terms of completing the refinance.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have never had a worse experience getting a loan in my life. My husband and I applied for a loan to build a new office building and purchase some land for his business. We have gotten many loans in the past. Once the loan process got started we were passed around from 5 different people, everyone seemed to be out of town and when we went to close on our loan we were assured that everything would be done. We sat at the closing office for 30+ minutes waiting to close, but BBVA Compass did not have all of the paperwork completed and so we had to reschedule our closing to a different day, which the seller was not happy about.

I do not think this company is professional at all. I tried to work things out with a ROSE ** but she was unfeeling and unsympathetic. My husband even took half a day off from work to be at closing and lost out on seeing patients. Next loan we get will be with INDEPENDENT BANK. They were much easier to work with on our first loan and I probably won't use anyone else but them in the future. Very disappointed by my experience there.

Original review: March 10, 2017

My card was compromised and the only reason I knew this because I was doing online banking. The company didn't flag the purchases at all. Six of them in large sums from the same company overseas. I had to cancel my card, call them and inform them that I had pending transactions from overseas in large sums. Of course they let all of them go thru. I have a feeling this is going to be a long ride cause I have contacted them at least five times and haven't gotten paperwork to dispute the transactions. My credit score is being affected by this crap and do you think they care. After I get this settled won't be doing business with their credit card company again. I have lost trust in the company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

Their loan organization in Alabama is totally inept. Unfortunately they give a bad name to the local branch staff that is hard working and competent. The folks in Alabama should learn about customer service and how to provide timely quality work. They don't have a clue how to do this. On top of this they cannot even correctly process loan payments and tell you that the mortgage payment form they send you is incorrect and tell you that you have to call every time you make a larger escrow payment.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I recently got caught up in NSF cycle. I have three $3.00 transactions that were pending for 3 days. Since I had car note that was about the be drafted I put a night deposit to cover this amount. The bank processed my 3 transaction and put my cash deposit on hold for 7 days. This causes me to have NSF fees that took me a moment to recover from. I try not to live in overdraft, but it happened. I feel my attempt to correct this mistake was met with resistance. Does this bank like a poor person like me caught in 38.00 extra overdraft fees. When all of the transaction went through I ended up with 3 Overdraft fees. My check deposited but they held my cash deposit for what they call excessive overdraft fees. Well I try not to complete any transaction that are not debited, the pending time is too long. Seems like a trap to me. This has never happened to me in all my years of banking.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

BBVA Bank states that they do not use ChexSystems for verifying but they do use the credit bureaus to make a determination whether to approve you for a checking account. I've had lots of problems with finding a job and after I did and even started a legitimate and successful business, BBVA turned me down because of my credit score in TransUnion. Beware...

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

After discovering that there had been fraudulent activity on my account, I immediately contacted the bank, who said I had to file a dispute claim and that they would send me the forms. They didn't. I contacted them multiple times via phone and their "secure messaging service" and each time the service person did not seem to understand what to do. I went to the bank branch, where I was told there was nothing they could do. Finally I received the forms, filled them in and returned them. Still nothing happened. Two months after the initial incident, the fraudulent charges are still on my account, accruing interest. Every other card I had fraudulent activity on, typically the card issues would contact me first, and upon reporting a problem, the charges were immediately frozen. With Compass I get the impression they really don't care. I canceled my card and will probably change my accounts to another bank as well.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I have an auto loan with BBVA Compass Bank and the only way to pay is by using their 1800-customer service call centers which are located in Puerto Rico, Columbia, and Texas. I found the call centers take calls for other companies as well. For the past 3 months I have been trying to pay the auto loan payments but each time the I call it seems the representative enters my information incorrectly. My bank is rejecting payments because the account numbers entered are not correct. At the same token they charge $15.00 for each terrible service. I've been trying to resolve the matter but its useless. Every rep I speak to gives the runaround and says a supervisor will call. Supervisors never call to resolve the matter or to give payment options.

I even had an instance where a payment was made and given a confirmation number which was lost and no correlation to payment. BBVA Compass Bank is reporting this to the credit bureaus and damaging my credit. I just recently found out my last payment for December 2016 was also rejected. They are clearly violating the Fair Credit Billing Act (1974) which specifies how creditors must respond to billing complaints from consumers; imposes requirements to ensure that creditors handle accounts fairly and promptly. Applies primarily to revolving and credit card accounts (for example, store card and bank card accounts). Amended the Truth in Lending Act. This bank is incompetent, corrupt and set up for your doom. Do not borrow or place your money in this bank!! They should be investigated!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Dec 20 2016: received robocall from BBVA impostor, stating my acct. compromised and stating my Social Security number! This reported STAT Dec 20 to BBVA. Then Jan 4, 3 more texts from BBVA impostor, same breached social security info. I am Senior, bank only by check. Called BBVA Jan 4, told this a known problem, and poor resolution. BBVA offered no solution. Have had to freeze credit and worse issues.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2016

I don't know why they're getting only one star. There are and I think they help me out overdraft at any time I need. When I was a victim of fraud they refunded my money right away and no questions asked they refunded my overdraft. I have 5 of them at one time they did it without even asking me. They just refunded it back to me. Very nice people.

Compass Bank Company Information