Compass Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had an Auto loan with Compass Bank since 2012. This loan was set up on auto pay so I have not missed a payment, nor ever late with a payment since the loan inception. I called asking to have one payment moved to the end of the loan as I am unable to make this month's payment. Compass Bank was not willing to accommodate my request after 4 years of timely payments. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable as a financial institute. Any financial institute that is TRULY INTERESTED in maintaining customer satisfaction would accommodate my request. My wife's bank has done it for her, not once, but twice. I will never use Compass Bank for any financial needs in the future, EVER. I will also discourage as many people as possible from doing so as well.

I have never had a worse experience getting a loan in my life. My husband and I applied for a loan to build a new office building and purchase some land for his business. We have gotten many loans in the past. Once the loan process got started we were passed around from 5 different people, everyone seemed to be out of town and when we went to close on our loan we were assured that everything would be done. We sat at the closing office for 30+ minutes waiting to close, but BBVA Compass did not have all of the paperwork completed and so we had to reschedule our closing to a different day, which the seller was not happy about.

I do not think this company is professional at all. I tried to work things out with a ROSE ** but she was unfeeling and unsympathetic. My husband even took half a day off from work to be at closing and lost out on seeing patients. Next loan we get will be with INDEPENDENT BANK. They were much easier to work with on our first loan and I probably won't use anyone else but them in the future. Very disappointed by my experience there.

My card was compromised and the only reason I knew this because I was doing online banking. The company didn't flag the purchases at all. Six of them in large sums from the same company overseas. I had to cancel my card, call them and inform them that I had pending transactions from overseas in large sums. Of course they let all of them go thru. I have a feeling this is going to be a long ride cause I have contacted them at least five times and haven't gotten paperwork to dispute the transactions. My credit score is being affected by this crap and do you think they care. After I get this settled won't be doing business with their credit card company again. I have lost trust in the company.

Their loan organization in Alabama is totally inept. Unfortunately they give a bad name to the local branch staff that is hard working and competent. The folks in Alabama should learn about customer service and how to provide timely quality work. They don't have a clue how to do this. On top of this they cannot even correctly process loan payments and tell you that the mortgage payment form they send you is incorrect and tell you that you have to call every time you make a larger escrow payment.

I recently got caught up in NSF cycle. I have three $3.00 transactions that were pending for 3 days. Since I had car note that was about the be drafted I put a night deposit to cover this amount. The bank processed my 3 transaction and put my cash deposit on hold for 7 days. This causes me to have NSF fees that took me a moment to recover from. I try not to live in overdraft, but it happened. I feel my attempt to correct this mistake was met with resistance. Does this bank like a poor person like me caught in 38.00 extra overdraft fees. When all of the transaction went through I ended up with 3 Overdraft fees. My check deposited but they held my cash deposit for what they call excessive overdraft fees. Well I try not to complete any transaction that are not debited, the pending time is too long. Seems like a trap to me. This has never happened to me in all my years of banking.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

BBVA Bank states that they do not use ChexSystems for verifying but they do use the credit bureaus to make a determination whether to approve you for a checking account. I've had lots of problems with finding a job and after I did and even started a legitimate and successful business, BBVA turned me down because of my credit score in TransUnion. Beware...

After discovering that there had been fraudulent activity on my account, I immediately contacted the bank, who said I had to file a dispute claim and that they would send me the forms. They didn't. I contacted them multiple times via phone and their "secure messaging service" and each time the service person did not seem to understand what to do. I went to the bank branch, where I was told there was nothing they could do. Finally I received the forms, filled them in and returned them. Still nothing happened. Two months after the initial incident, the fraudulent charges are still on my account, accruing interest. Every other card I had fraudulent activity on, typically the card issues would contact me first, and upon reporting a problem, the charges were immediately frozen. With Compass I get the impression they really don't care. I canceled my card and will probably change my accounts to another bank as well.

I have an auto loan with BBVA Compass Bank and the only way to pay is by using their 1800-customer service call centers which are located in Puerto Rico, Columbia, and Texas. I found the call centers take calls for other companies as well. For the past 3 months I have been trying to pay the auto loan payments but each time the I call it seems the representative enters my information incorrectly. My bank is rejecting payments because the account numbers entered are not correct. At the same token they charge $15.00 for each terrible service. I've been trying to resolve the matter but its useless. Every rep I speak to gives the runaround and says a supervisor will call. Supervisors never call to resolve the matter or to give payment options.

I even had an instance where a payment was made and given a confirmation number which was lost and no correlation to payment. BBVA Compass Bank is reporting this to the credit bureaus and damaging my credit. I just recently found out my last payment for December 2016 was also rejected. They are clearly violating the Fair Credit Billing Act (1974) which specifies how creditors must respond to billing complaints from consumers; imposes requirements to ensure that creditors handle accounts fairly and promptly. Applies primarily to revolving and credit card accounts (for example, store card and bank card accounts). Amended the Truth in Lending Act. This bank is incompetent, corrupt and set up for your doom. Do not borrow or place your money in this bank!! They should be investigated!!

Dec 20 2016: received robocall from BBVA impostor, stating my acct. compromised and stating my Social Security number! This reported STAT Dec 20 to BBVA. Then Jan 4, 3 more texts from BBVA impostor, same breached social security info. I am Senior, bank only by check. Called BBVA Jan 4, told this a known problem, and poor resolution. BBVA offered no solution. Have had to freeze credit and worse issues.

I don't know why they're getting only one star. There are and I think they help me out overdraft at any time I need. When I was a victim of fraud they refunded my money right away and no questions asked they refunded my overdraft. I have 5 of them at one time they did it without even asking me. They just refunded it back to me. Very nice people.

Post upgrade of the online banking software first week Sep 2016 has resulted in a non functional website. I informed multiple individuals at BBVA online customer care support about their degraded performance of online banking post the upgrade and to date the multiple issues have yet to be resolved. As of Dec 15, 2016, I was informed by BBVA customer support that their IT team is still investigating. Perfect!!! 3 months later and the issue is still not resolve. Lesson for BBVA techs... never release untested software on a production system. Always regression test before release. I would currently rate the performance of BBVA COMPASS online banking and customer support as F minus.

This is one of the worst experiences I have had. We cannot close our account and they continue to charge us overdraft fees. Anytime anyone has activity on our account, they reopen it and charge us overdraft fees. It is terrible. Do not open up a account. You will be charged for good to close it.

I've had many very bad experiences with Compass Bank, but I'm done! For the past 2 weeks I have been unable to get account information or balances on my 3 accounts because the website is down. They refer you to a phone number that tells you the same thing and eventually scheduled a phone call that I didn't get for 2 hours and the customer service rep told me she couldn't hear me and hung up. I'm sitting here now not able to get info and I'm furious!

I have called numerous times to be placed on their DO NOT CALL list. I receive calls at 6 pm to 9 pm asking me how my banking experience went. This is only for one of their locations on Woodway in Houston, Texas. I do not want to respond to a voice that I do not even know if they are affiliated with this bank or not. I never discuss banking experiences over the phone. They will not stop calling me even when I offer to discuss my banking experience in person if they have something they want to tell me.

Believe every review you see here. I have had nothing but negative experiences with this bank over the past year. My issues are not related to NSF's which I know is common. They have continuously locked me out of my account, both on-line and on the mobile app. They have locked me out of mobile deposits and limit the deposit amounts to $200/day - you think they'd want my money. In addition, I have submitted three (3) formal (over phone with a rep) requests to change my PIN. The ONLY method to update the PIN is via US Mail. I have yet to receive any forms via mail to change my PIN. Finally, I had a credit account for overdraft protection. I used it several times and paid the balance off each time. Without notice they shut down the credit line and charged me fees. I'm done with them.

I received an overdraft charge for $3! I got gas and I thought it cleared since it did not show the $1 hold as my other cards. So once I saw the gas charge go through and it overdrew my account by $3 I went to the bank immediately after work and deposited the money to make it positive and it was before 5 pm. I asked that lady would the fee be charged since I was making my account positive before they assessed the charge and she told me I would not be charged. Tuesday morning, BAM, there goes that $38 overdraft fee. Called customer service as soon as they opened and after being disconnected twice and 15 min later I finally got a rep. That rep was just as mean and rude. Then asked me which location did I make my deposit at and I told him. I advised him what the bank lady said and everything.

After he was very quiet and confirmed the location I went to, he said I would have to talk to the branch and immediately transferred me to that branch location. Well the branch was not open yet and had he not so rudely transferred me so quickly I would have told him that. So 25 min wasted and nothing resolved. Went back to the branch and the lying lady said she never told me it wouldn't be charged. I was shocked! So they wouldn't reverse it either. So I finally emailed their online customer service complaining about their horrible customer service and about wanted that $38 reversed and they ignored me. They never got back to me. This makes the 2nd time I've emailed them through their site and they just refused to respond. They will respond to basic questions because I have emailed them a few times but every time there is some error on the account or me asking about them reversing ODF then they want to ignore me.

Rude, money greedy bank won't be getting my business anymore. After 1 year and thousands of dollars being deposited there I am done. I suggest anybody reading this to NOT bank with BBVA. I only banked with them because they were close to my house and I had just moved to Texas but I have a credit union account and I bank at another bank and trust me, I did my research before I opened up these account. I wish I would have did the same with this horrible bank.

Opened checking account 9-16 with $600. personal check from B of A. The money left B of A that day. Said there would be a hold but knew all was well and didn't realize hold was 7-8 days no matter that $$ had been there for days. Paid Edison Co $250. on day 6 and though my account had $600. cleared, they acted like they did me a huge favor by paying it (with MY MONEY) and CHARGED ME WITH A $35. overdraft fee. Just like all the other corps. in the 2016 fraudulent "technology advancements" business model, the customer service is a loop of absurdity that I will not do anymore. Companies now help themselves to your bank account, 4 times so far, on bogus charges. We are still fighting Sears. We are dropping out of the system. We have an option from Social Security that will let us go bankless.

Also, many people do not pay fees or extortion style fees or add-ons. I don't and they make threats (again EXTORTION) but it's all bs. They don't do anything because one cannot legally defend illegal actions in court. Please, please, please spread the word NOT to pay anything but what you owe. IT WORKS. WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO SAY STOP. NO ** WAY AM I GOING TO BE SWINDLED OUT OF MY MONEY. There are laws (see FTC.gov) but they are not enforced. Our money and lives are being dictated by greedy egoed-out suits who throw out these bs fees and practices at their sick whims, unabated. DO NOT BE A FOOL. Don't pay one penny more than you owe. Pass it on.

I advised that I don't want items coming out of my account without my approval. Somehow that did not take place and I ended up paying $200 in overdraft fees. Recently my phone company tried to take out a payment that didn't clear but I was charged for the attempt a week later. The amount came out of my account and made it negative by $14 and hour later I put in $15 and my account was positive. The next day I was charged an overdraft fee and was told that there's nothing that they can do because they only remove "2 fees per year" in which once a fee is charged they charge more fees on top of that when the account is negative. So now I will owe more as the fees accumulate but they're the reason my account is negative to begin with.

I first applied at BBVA Compass Bank for a line of credit in 2001, I received approval from BBVA Compass Bank for the amount of 19,000 dollars. I have never been late on any payments, always paid on time, always called to let them know any changes in my travels, to include home address and phone number updates. Now after 15 years BBVA Compass Bank has decided on their own not to re-issue my card because they have received information from TransUnion that my debt to credit ratio is too high? Mind you I only have one credit card theirs with a balance of 5,400 of the 19,000 available to me. A USAF base card that I can only be used on government facilities of 500.00 that has a 2 dollar a month user's fee, 0 balance! And the last thing is my car loan of 25,000 that I have. Mind you I haven't had a car payment in over 14 years! My credit is Outstanding! With no late or a no payment history whatsoever in my life!

I called and explain this to them and even their own people on the phone just by viewing my information are puzzled? Now my account is under review? I was told that a letter was sent explaining their decision but they mailed it to the wrong address! Nice to know that someone or someone's are now knowing my personal information? Thanks BBVA Compass! As a Military Veteran I can't believe that this kind of business is allowed by lenders! That they without probable cause decide on their own judgment or with wrong information without verification make calls on Outstanding individuals' credit and stop the use of their service! I still can believe this is happening.

My advice to anyone who is dealing with this institution STOP!!! And Use Another Lender Immediately!!! This is very bad business and terrible customer service!!! After all those years, just to think I was just a number for interest rate collection!!! I know I can apply with anyone else and receive a card without this kind of untrust and unworthiness! I hope this message gets out and people take the time to read this! Take action of your own stuff!!! We all work very hard to maintain our credit while others destroy theirs and get better service! Unbelievable!!!

I set up bill pay for my car payment. JUST SET IT UP, put in the amount, due date, etc. They paid it even though my deposit had not gone in. I Never entered to pay it. They could see there was not enough money in the account, charged me $35 and closed the account!! That's a pure setup!!

I opened my account not too many months ago but long enough to have about 11 deposits from work put into my account with them. When I first opened my checking account online nowhere on their site did it say I was opening a Prepaid checking account nor did it inform me when I finished my application. When I received my debit card I had no problems at all. Then I get a notice maybe 2 months in about a security alert on my account. I called and spoke with one of their call center people who do not know a darn thing about anything and they told me my account would be fine they just needed to verify the charges that were being pulled out were from me. So they told me once they checked into it my account was fine so I said okay and then asked the guy if there was a fee for ordering a new card and he said no so I told him "Okay you can go ahead and order a new card because my card was cracked."

My new card comes in and then when I try and activate it it says to call them because I have a hold on my account. Mind you every time you call a person answers. They ask you for your card info then your name and last four of your ss then from there they transfer. If they are good at anything it's transferring you to someone else who has no clue what they're doing. I talk to whoever answers and explain to them that I cannot get any of my funds from my account and they transfer me to someone who can help again.

Long story short the calling and getting transferred never ends but they had my account on hold where I could not touch money that was in my account for 2 weeks and then when I called back for about the 10th time to see if it was fixed the girl leaves me on hold and comes back and says "Okay ma'am your account has been closed and funds in your account have been mailed out to you." WOW!!! "What an inconvenience" is what I told her. What BANK does that? Only them. Just an FYI they will forever tell you they are sending the issue to upper management and you should have your account fixed within a day or the next business day. Really it is supposed to be 3-5 business days.

Now I am late on my bills thanks to a bank I thought was a reliable bank, all because they wanted to verify my address and I sent the documentation and because they couldn't deal with it. I will never understand these how are you not able to verify an account quickly. Frost verified my driver's license by fax within 5 min and the girl sent my card and info - now that is customer service. As for this bank customer service is at the very least rating I could give them, they do not deserve a star.

I refinanced my home mortgage with BBVA Compass two years ago. The process was screwed up from day one as the bank recorded the homeowner's insurance cost at $67. Any bank should know better! Due to this error the escrow account was off by a LOT the first year. Now after the second year I've requested a new escrow disclosure statement after changing insurance companies and that seems to be a BIG problem. When I first called about it I was told "the system is down, no one can help you." Today it was another run around. I anticipate this being another frustrating process to get it resolved. Beware the incompetence!

Don't let their "high yield" money market account lurk you into opening an account with them because the "good rate" would only last a couple of months and will drop way low. When you realize the low low rate, it would be at least one and one half month later because by the time you got your statement and look at it, it is 45 days later. It is not worth the time to opening an account and closed your account within 4 month. When trying to talk to a representative, NO ONE can give you a clear answer. Do not do business with them. Awful banking experience.

Pure Incompetence. We (unfortunately) have our business account with these morons. I've never seen such incompetence in my life, from the branch to the call centers. Every single thing we've done with them has been screw up! It's like the hire day/temp workers. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

I recently opened a checking account and they offer a saving and also some clear benefits that offer roadside assistance phone protection. The day I open the account they weren't able to provide me with my ID number for the roadside assistance. I set up online banking and I found out they didn't link my saving to my checking online service. I called the customer service number. I waited 55 min. to find out if have to go to the branch so that they can set it up... So they did but still weren't able to give me my Id number for the roadside. The lady said the only thing I needed was my ss and they'll find my benefits... I called the road assistance toll free number. They another of questions but can't assist me with my ss so I called again and they made me wait for 30 mins. to tell me I have to go to branch store.

I went to the branch store and spoke with ** on 120 N. Stone Ave., Tucson, AZ. I spent more than an hour with him. Make me waste my time. Didn't give my Id number so he promise a callback. He never did. This was the 3rd and was promise a callback 2 times by this location and another one from the toll free number. Still don't have my Id number for my benefits with it have to pay for, which I don't mind as long as I get my services. This bank is by far the worst. He gave his business card for what. I don't they don't anything for you.

Trust the reviews that talk about Nsf fees!! I opened my account in April, I balance my checkbook and keep it up to date. I had an issue with PayPal where I had made a deposit to PayPal and made a charge to a company online. Instead of taking it out of my PayPal balance, it charged it to my card and made it pending negative balance. So, I transferred the 20 dollars from PayPal to my bank and I was relieved it transferred before the charge posted. I checked my account to see a positive balance and ordered a pizza which would leave me a small available balance.

Then, the next morning, I see a Nsf fee. I spoke with customer service who had an explanation that wouldn't make any sense to anyone with at least a little bit of intelligence, but it was no use arguing with them. He explained that PayPal had a "charge" of .25 and when I said that they were "testing" the account and a corresponding credit of .16 and .09 came through, they said it didn't matter and they are seen as charges. They ended up crediting me 19 dollars (half the Nsf fee), but that will still leave a negative balance and another Nsf fee will be charged when it posts.

I've heard other people who kept their accounts in good standing have their account randomly closed and they were mailed a check with their balance. No matter how much you need or want a checking account, do not ever open an account here. I'm not sure on this point, but I had heard something about them not being "accredited" but I'm not sure what that means.

I opened a new account for my business and made a substantial deposit. Of that deposit, 4 of my customers bounced checks on us. This is common for most mail order businesses. It's part of the business. However, Compass froze my account and treated me like a criminal. I will never use Compass for any type of business. They are not business friendly and act in a reckless and unprofessional manner.

Mortgage Department was very unorganized and disconnected from department to department. My process took several months with me receiving mutable approvals resulting from numerous mistakes made by BBVA COMPASS resulting in excessive credit report pulls that adversely affected my credit rating. I regret using them for this loan. Be cautious.

I opened an account with BBVA beginning of May. On May 20, 2016 after depositing money from my business PayPal account and then attempting to make a purchase that was denied. I was confused. I called and to my surprise my account had been closed showing a balance of 0. I inquired with the customer service associate who had no idea what was going on. He was like, "I do not know and we will be closed Monday". Why? It is not a holiday. TRASH.

I am currently on hold with a CSR who is trying to transfer me to the online account department. It is 5/23/2016 10:00am CST. I have been on hold for 10 minutes. I cannot login into my online banking account and was not notified of this via phone or email. Once I receive my funds, I will NEVER bank with this company again. Would not recommend them to anyone. I would rather sign up to Woodforest bank or use a prepaid card. Everyone is oblivious to what is going on or what I need to do. Do not open an account with them is my final answer.

I got overdraft fee twice in one day, just for trying to purchase without enough balance. The overdraft fee is 38 x 2 = 76 $$$. BTW I signed up for OVERDRAFT FEE PROTECTION. They told me it is not going to work when using it in PayPal... That is ridiculous!

Compass Bank Company Profile