Compass Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

It took more than 15 working days and going to issue a replacement debit card. This bank as big as it is should be able to issue a replacement debit card from any of their branches. Smaller local banks do. I cannot even use my smartphone to withdraw money from any of their ATM machines like other banks do. Most of my online accounts got cancelled because they cannot deliver to their promises. A great total inconvenience to my daily schedule & transactions. Along the way during my inquiry of the E.T.A status of my replacement card, I asked what would it take in the future to expedite this kind of request to be processed faster, I was told that I have to pay $50.00 for the service. What a joke.

It's 2017 & free 2 day shipping is being used by a number of big companies and small businesses. I don't have a problem of paying a fee to get back on track to a reasonable extent but taking advantage of this kind of situation is just not good business practice. BBVA Compass corporate personnel or decision makers should learn from the small neighborhood banks about efficient & prompt replacement debit cards and smart phone-ATM transactions. This is my first time misplacing my debit card during my entire banking years and I know now that if it happens again in the future and I had to go thru this one more time, I would rather close all my accounts with them rather than getting stressed. And easily open accounts to those other banks that has better, logical, modern customer service.

Horrible customer service. I purchased a car in 2016 and received financing from BBVA Compass Bank. In July, 2016 I got divorced and legally changed my name. I called to find out what I needed to do and they told me to submit documents to them and once processed I would have to pay $12 (to change my name?!). I submitted name change documents to them multiple times over the next 7 months, each time they claimed they could not read it, or they needed something else.

In February, 2017 I decided to refinanced my vehicle with another bank, and figured they'd figure out the name change situation when they got the payoff (or not, because what did I care since I'd be leaving them). I had made a payment due to a car accident that had delayed my refinance. I also had moved at the end of January. I called BBVA in February, due to an overpayment on my account, and informed them I had changed my address. The gentleman I spoke with said he would update my information, and luckily the check had not gone out so it should updated that week and mail out the following week.

After a few weeks I realized I had not received the check and called them again. They said they had mailed out the check prior to my call updating my address, and to allow more time for receipt. I called again a few weeks later and was informed that in order to have the check reissued I had to submit an "indemnification" letter stating I didn't receive the first one, and to update my address. It took 10 business days (nearly 2 weeks) for me to get the letter, which I mailed back the day after I received it. I allowed 2 weeks for them to get it back, and then called to confirm. I was informed that it goes to a specific person and nothing had been noted yet but that they "probably" got it and to allow a few more days.

Life, of course, picked up and I got busy with work and essentially forgot about it for about a month. On June 5, 2017 I called BBVA at 10:58 am (MST) and spoke with Yomaris. She let me know that the check had been reissued to me in April, but was returned to them on May 23rd. No reason stated. I inquired why they didn't call me to verify my address, and she said that "sometimes" they do. Sometimes, but not this time. She informed me that she would submit a research ticket and call me back in 2-3 business days. On June 13th I called them as I had not received a call, and after explaining that I was checking on the status of a check that was returned and needing to be reissued, was asked AGAIN if I got the indemnification letter and sent it back. At this point I am fed up and asked to speak with a supervisor.

The gentleman (Jamie he said his name was) continued to ask me questions, and I stated I needed a supervisor and did not wish to speak with him any further. He put me on hold for about 10 minutes, and when he came back he said that the supervisor had explained that the check was reissued on June 8th, that there was not much more he could do. He said a "back office" person was handling my account. When I asked for their name, he said they do not speak with customers (which is ridiculous). I asked for names of people I had spoken with, which he all but refused to provide, and I said, "OR you can put me on with the supervisor since that is what I asked you to do." He said that there was no more the supervisor could do.

I am 100% dissatisfied with this bank. They clearly take notes during each call, or why would they ask so many questions, but they do not read them when customers call back. I understand it's only $452 but at this point it is the principle. They are not helpful, do not follow up when they say they are going to, and are really horrible people. There is a Compass Bank down the street from both my home, AND work and I would have been happy to go into the branch to resolve this had they been more communicative and responded when I asked. I asked for the gal's name that I sent the letter to, he said Shannon ** (I don't think that was it), and the manager/supervisor was Abel. I DO NOT recommend this bank to anyone and if you bank there, get out while you can.

WARNING: Stay away from BBVA Compass! I opened an account at BBVA Compass in August of 2010. I have the original paperwork that clearly states there are no service charges. I received a letter in March of 2011 that also confirms there are no service charges. In May 2017, I received a statement dated April 1, 2017, indicating that a $15 monthly service charge was removed from my account. This was the first letter regarding the account since 2011. After making a few phone calls I learned BBVA Compass changed the account, without notifying me, and has been taking $15 a month for years! I know they have taken at least $450, but they are refusing to provide a statement showing the full amount.

I have been trying for over a month to get a statement from BBVA Compass showing the total amount they took from my account, and to get them to return the money. After the first week a branch manager, Carlos **, said all he could do was return $45. What the hell is wrong with these people! During the second week I was directed to communicate with Renee ** at BBVA Compass regarding the issue. Wednesday, May 17, 2017, I sent her an email requesting an itemized list of fees taken from my account and a refund for that amount. I have not receive any communications from Renee **, other than answering my phone call to confirm she received my email request.

I have reported BBVA Compass to the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta for changing my account without notifying me, taking money from the account without my authorization, and for not providing records of the money they took from me. It has been a month since I learned BBVA changed my account and has been taking my money. It appears it's going to be a long battle to get my money back, so I advise anyone doing business or thinking of doing business with BBVA Compass to stay away!!

BBVA Compass Bank held lien on a vehicle that we purchased. We sent them the payoff and they mailed us the title, but it was lost in the mail. I called to check on the title status and if necessary get a duplicate title. This is where the REAL problem began. I have been promised that I would have a new title in 6-8 weeks. It is now over 6 weeks later and they have still not processed this lost title. They just sent out the lost title paperwork (6 weeks after promised) and are now telling me that it will be 6-8 weeks for me to get a title. I have all dates and times documented and HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you do not do business with this company. They have continually and blatantly lied to me. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

Pictured it, credit scores of 780 and 850, both employed, household income in the 6 figures. Home equity loan department and mortgage department don't work with each other or speak to one another. This is the same bank. We are sending paperwork to both departments multiple times in 9 months. Credit scores have to be pulled 4 times during the span of 9 months, twice by each department because the departments are not allowed to be efficient and communicate. Paperwork and paystubs keep expiring.

After 9 months, I found out the mortgage department only processed my husband's employment and income. It would have been fine considering my husband's income exceeded the refinance amount. Needless to say, the refinance and HELOC fell though because of the level of incompetence and missteps. Their reason for us was too many inquiries, 4 of the 6 were theirs. Two were inquiries but didn't result in new debt. Please beware of this bank. There are reasons why these many complaints exist. I should have done my research first.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

I called BBV Compass Bank to make a payment. The guy I spoke to you could hardly understand anything he was saying, I asked if he had allergies or a cold and he said he did but his words were all mixed up like he was on drugs. He asked right away for my routing number on my check. He didn't ask for my account number and once I questioned that he then asked for it. But then went on asking for my bank account number so he can withdraw money from my bank for the payment and that is without giving me my balance until I asked him for my balance that is due. My balance was $80. And he said 800. All of this may be really leery if this was actually the BBVA bank I had actually called. I asked for his name, he said, "Juan." Never doing business with them again.

Bad customer service. I have a auto loan with them. I lost my job and got behind on my payments. I called to make payment arrangements, they won't remove any late fee, repo fee, and they charged me an extra $1000 just because... it didn't go toward my loan, it was a dumb fee, I can't remember. I got behind again on my loan but this time I paid partial payments (my notes are $1100 I paid $900) for 3 months. I went to the bank to make a full payment they wouldn't take my payment. I call they tell me my car is in repo status. When I call the 800 number on my payment book they say they can't talk to me. The department I need to talk to closes at 4:30 p. They don't want to help you with payments. It's their way or no way! I had a car loan with Suntrust bank they are so good and nice. BBVA bank are rude, bullies, and don't care about their customers. DON'T BANK WITH THEM!

This bank is terrible. Setting aside many, many of their terrible policies, the last straw started when they refused to accept a Cashier's check for a loan payoff because an employee of the bank that issued the check made a small notation on it. As if that wasn't enough, I then had the other bank wire the loan payment to BBVA Compass, who received the wire and confirmed to me over the phone that it had arrived. Then, without attempting to contact me, BBVA Compass returned the wire payment to my other bank, one day before the regularly scheduled payment was due and without giving me any notification even though I was in contact with their Loan Department several times after they received the wire.

The reason they gave for returning the wire was that the amount was less than the full payoff amount for the loan. This is no reason to return the wire transfer. This loan is a revolving loan, like a credit card, where you have a minimum payment each month, but you can pay off some or all of the principal at any time. There is no requirement that a prepayment to be for the full outstanding balance. So, after wasting my time when I brought them a Cashier's check, they not only cost me a $15 wire transfer fee, but now I have to make further arrangements to make the regularly scheduled payment on one day's notice.

In addition, prior to this, not only does Compass send out loan payment invoices about 7 days before the actual due date, but they also submitted false information to the credit reporting agencies for my wife and me. They apparently discovered the mistake and corrected the report for me, but failed to make correction on my wife's credit report. Of course, this was not discovered until an accurate credit report was needed, so Compass Bank caused a lot of inconvenience and hardship. They claimed they would not be able to do anything about their credit mistake for up to 10 business days! The next day I filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and magically they submitted a correction the next day (supposedly -- I still haven't paid the fee to pull another credit report to confirm). In short, they are absolutely terrible and I would strongly recommend against having any relationship with them.

People here at this branch are very unprofessional and unethical. They never deliver on their promises. Brian, the bank manager, a very unprofessional person and a slacker, he lied several times and delayed our loan process and our commercial vehicle registration, and we suffered a heavy loss. He would never accept accountability, and the bank seems like backs him up. I don't recommend banking with BBVA, go with BOA or Chase. Thanks.

Worst experience of me! If you are looking to refinance or get a mortgage do yourself a favor and research Bbva Compass the horror stories are endless. It's unbelievable to witness upper management nonchalantly admit their ineptitude and incompetence and then point you out as the problem. WATCH THIS COMPANY!

I have had an Auto loan with Compass Bank since 2012. This loan was set up on auto pay so I have not missed a payment, nor ever late with a payment since the loan inception. I called asking to have one payment moved to the end of the loan as I am unable to make this month's payment. Compass Bank was not willing to accommodate my request after 4 years of timely payments. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable as a financial institute. Any financial institute that is TRULY INTERESTED in maintaining customer satisfaction would accommodate my request. My wife's bank has done it for her, not once, but twice. I will never use Compass Bank for any financial needs in the future, EVER. I will also discourage as many people as possible from doing so as well.

BBVA has very helpful, polite, knowledgeable people. They do almost everything electronically or through the phone and it makes it very convenient. The customer service people assigned to me were very professional and always kept me informed about where I was in terms of completing the refinance.

I have never had a worse experience getting a loan in my life. My husband and I applied for a loan to build a new office building and purchase some land for his business. We have gotten many loans in the past. Once the loan process got started we were passed around from 5 different people, everyone seemed to be out of town and when we went to close on our loan we were assured that everything would be done. We sat at the closing office for 30+ minutes waiting to close, but BBVA Compass did not have all of the paperwork completed and so we had to reschedule our closing to a different day, which the seller was not happy about.

I do not think this company is professional at all. I tried to work things out with a ROSE ** but she was unfeeling and unsympathetic. My husband even took half a day off from work to be at closing and lost out on seeing patients. Next loan we get will be with INDEPENDENT BANK. They were much easier to work with on our first loan and I probably won't use anyone else but them in the future. Very disappointed by my experience there.

My card was compromised and the only reason I knew this because I was doing online banking. The company didn't flag the purchases at all. Six of them in large sums from the same company overseas. I had to cancel my card, call them and inform them that I had pending transactions from overseas in large sums. Of course they let all of them go thru. I have a feeling this is going to be a long ride cause I have contacted them at least five times and haven't gotten paperwork to dispute the transactions. My credit score is being affected by this crap and do you think they care. After I get this settled won't be doing business with their credit card company again. I have lost trust in the company.

Their loan organization in Alabama is totally inept. Unfortunately they give a bad name to the local branch staff that is hard working and competent. The folks in Alabama should learn about customer service and how to provide timely quality work. They don't have a clue how to do this. On top of this they cannot even correctly process loan payments and tell you that the mortgage payment form they send you is incorrect and tell you that you have to call every time you make a larger escrow payment.

I recently got caught up in NSF cycle. I have three $3.00 transactions that were pending for 3 days. Since I had car note that was about the be drafted I put a night deposit to cover this amount. The bank processed my 3 transaction and put my cash deposit on hold for 7 days. This causes me to have NSF fees that took me a moment to recover from. I try not to live in overdraft, but it happened. I feel my attempt to correct this mistake was met with resistance. Does this bank like a poor person like me caught in 38.00 extra overdraft fees. When all of the transaction went through I ended up with 3 Overdraft fees. My check deposited but they held my cash deposit for what they call excessive overdraft fees. Well I try not to complete any transaction that are not debited, the pending time is too long. Seems like a trap to me. This has never happened to me in all my years of banking.

BBVA Bank states that they do not use ChexSystems for verifying but they do use the credit bureaus to make a determination whether to approve you for a checking account. I've had lots of problems with finding a job and after I did and even started a legitimate and successful business, BBVA turned me down because of my credit score in TransUnion. Beware...

After discovering that there had been fraudulent activity on my account, I immediately contacted the bank, who said I had to file a dispute claim and that they would send me the forms. They didn't. I contacted them multiple times via phone and their "secure messaging service" and each time the service person did not seem to understand what to do. I went to the bank branch, where I was told there was nothing they could do. Finally I received the forms, filled them in and returned them. Still nothing happened. Two months after the initial incident, the fraudulent charges are still on my account, accruing interest. Every other card I had fraudulent activity on, typically the card issues would contact me first, and upon reporting a problem, the charges were immediately frozen. With Compass I get the impression they really don't care. I canceled my card and will probably change my accounts to another bank as well.

I have an auto loan with BBVA Compass Bank and the only way to pay is by using their 1800-customer service call centers which are located in Puerto Rico, Columbia, and Texas. I found the call centers take calls for other companies as well. For the past 3 months I have been trying to pay the auto loan payments but each time the I call it seems the representative enters my information incorrectly. My bank is rejecting payments because the account numbers entered are not correct. At the same token they charge $15.00 for each terrible service. I've been trying to resolve the matter but its useless. Every rep I speak to gives the runaround and says a supervisor will call. Supervisors never call to resolve the matter or to give payment options.

I even had an instance where a payment was made and given a confirmation number which was lost and no correlation to payment. BBVA Compass Bank is reporting this to the credit bureaus and damaging my credit. I just recently found out my last payment for December 2016 was also rejected. They are clearly violating the Fair Credit Billing Act (1974) which specifies how creditors must respond to billing complaints from consumers; imposes requirements to ensure that creditors handle accounts fairly and promptly. Applies primarily to revolving and credit card accounts (for example, store card and bank card accounts). Amended the Truth in Lending Act. This bank is incompetent, corrupt and set up for your doom. Do not borrow or place your money in this bank!! They should be investigated!!

Dec 20 2016: received robocall from BBVA impostor, stating my acct. compromised and stating my Social Security number! This reported STAT Dec 20 to BBVA. Then Jan 4, 3 more texts from BBVA impostor, same breached social security info. I am Senior, bank only by check. Called BBVA Jan 4, told this a known problem, and poor resolution. BBVA offered no solution. Have had to freeze credit and worse issues.

I don't know why they're getting only one star. There are and I think they help me out overdraft at any time I need. When I was a victim of fraud they refunded my money right away and no questions asked they refunded my overdraft. I have 5 of them at one time they did it without even asking me. They just refunded it back to me. Very nice people.

Post upgrade of the online banking software first week Sep 2016 has resulted in a non functional website. I informed multiple individuals at BBVA online customer care support about their degraded performance of online banking post the upgrade and to date the multiple issues have yet to be resolved. As of Dec 15, 2016, I was informed by BBVA customer support that their IT team is still investigating. Perfect!!! 3 months later and the issue is still not resolve. Lesson for BBVA techs... never release untested software on a production system. Always regression test before release. I would currently rate the performance of BBVA COMPASS online banking and customer support as F minus.

This is one of the worst experiences I have had. We cannot close our account and they continue to charge us overdraft fees. Anytime anyone has activity on our account, they reopen it and charge us overdraft fees. It is terrible. Do not open up a account. You will be charged for good to close it.

I've had many very bad experiences with Compass Bank, but I'm done! For the past 2 weeks I have been unable to get account information or balances on my 3 accounts because the website is down. They refer you to a phone number that tells you the same thing and eventually scheduled a phone call that I didn't get for 2 hours and the customer service rep told me she couldn't hear me and hung up. I'm sitting here now not able to get info and I'm furious!

I have called numerous times to be placed on their DO NOT CALL list. I receive calls at 6 pm to 9 pm asking me how my banking experience went. This is only for one of their locations on Woodway in Houston, Texas. I do not want to respond to a voice that I do not even know if they are affiliated with this bank or not. I never discuss banking experiences over the phone. They will not stop calling me even when I offer to discuss my banking experience in person if they have something they want to tell me.

Believe every review you see here. I have had nothing but negative experiences with this bank over the past year. My issues are not related to NSF's which I know is common. They have continuously locked me out of my account, both on-line and on the mobile app. They have locked me out of mobile deposits and limit the deposit amounts to $200/day - you think they'd want my money. In addition, I have submitted three (3) formal (over phone with a rep) requests to change my PIN. The ONLY method to update the PIN is via US Mail. I have yet to receive any forms via mail to change my PIN. Finally, I had a credit account for overdraft protection. I used it several times and paid the balance off each time. Without notice they shut down the credit line and charged me fees. I'm done with them.

I received an overdraft charge for $3! I got gas and I thought it cleared since it did not show the $1 hold as my other cards. So once I saw the gas charge go through and it overdrew my account by $3 I went to the bank immediately after work and deposited the money to make it positive and it was before 5 pm. I asked that lady would the fee be charged since I was making my account positive before they assessed the charge and she told me I would not be charged. Tuesday morning, BAM, there goes that $38 overdraft fee. Called customer service as soon as they opened and after being disconnected twice and 15 min later I finally got a rep. That rep was just as mean and rude. Then asked me which location did I make my deposit at and I told him. I advised him what the bank lady said and everything.

After he was very quiet and confirmed the location I went to, he said I would have to talk to the branch and immediately transferred me to that branch location. Well the branch was not open yet and had he not so rudely transferred me so quickly I would have told him that. So 25 min wasted and nothing resolved. Went back to the branch and the lying lady said she never told me it wouldn't be charged. I was shocked! So they wouldn't reverse it either. So I finally emailed their online customer service complaining about their horrible customer service and about wanted that $38 reversed and they ignored me. They never got back to me. This makes the 2nd time I've emailed them through their site and they just refused to respond. They will respond to basic questions because I have emailed them a few times but every time there is some error on the account or me asking about them reversing ODF then they want to ignore me.

Rude, money greedy bank won't be getting my business anymore. After 1 year and thousands of dollars being deposited there I am done. I suggest anybody reading this to NOT bank with BBVA. I only banked with them because they were close to my house and I had just moved to Texas but I have a credit union account and I bank at another bank and trust me, I did my research before I opened up these account. I wish I would have did the same with this horrible bank.

Opened checking account 9-16 with $600. personal check from B of A. The money left B of A that day. Said there would be a hold but knew all was well and didn't realize hold was 7-8 days no matter that $$ had been there for days. Paid Edison Co $250. on day 6 and though my account had $600. cleared, they acted like they did me a huge favor by paying it (with MY MONEY) and CHARGED ME WITH A $35. overdraft fee. Just like all the other corps. in the 2016 fraudulent "technology advancements" business model, the customer service is a loop of absurdity that I will not do anymore. Companies now help themselves to your bank account, 4 times so far, on bogus charges. We are still fighting Sears. We are dropping out of the system. We have an option from Social Security that will let us go bankless.

Also, many people do not pay fees or extortion style fees or add-ons. I don't and they make threats (again EXTORTION) but it's all bs. They don't do anything because one cannot legally defend illegal actions in court. Please, please, please spread the word NOT to pay anything but what you owe. IT WORKS. WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO SAY STOP. NO ** WAY AM I GOING TO BE SWINDLED OUT OF MY MONEY. There are laws (see FTC.gov) but they are not enforced. Our money and lives are being dictated by greedy egoed-out suits who throw out these bs fees and practices at their sick whims, unabated. DO NOT BE A FOOL. Don't pay one penny more than you owe. Pass it on.

I advised that I don't want items coming out of my account without my approval. Somehow that did not take place and I ended up paying $200 in overdraft fees. Recently my phone company tried to take out a payment that didn't clear but I was charged for the attempt a week later. The amount came out of my account and made it negative by $14 and hour later I put in $15 and my account was positive. The next day I was charged an overdraft fee and was told that there's nothing that they can do because they only remove "2 fees per year" in which once a fee is charged they charge more fees on top of that when the account is negative. So now I will owe more as the fees accumulate but they're the reason my account is negative to begin with.

I first applied at BBVA Compass Bank for a line of credit in 2001, I received approval from BBVA Compass Bank for the amount of 19,000 dollars. I have never been late on any payments, always paid on time, always called to let them know any changes in my travels, to include home address and phone number updates. Now after 15 years BBVA Compass Bank has decided on their own not to re-issue my card because they have received information from TransUnion that my debt to credit ratio is too high? Mind you I only have one credit card theirs with a balance of 5,400 of the 19,000 available to me. A USAF base card that I can only be used on government facilities of 500.00 that has a 2 dollar a month user's fee, 0 balance! And the last thing is my car loan of 25,000 that I have. Mind you I haven't had a car payment in over 14 years! My credit is Outstanding! With no late or a no payment history whatsoever in my life!

I called and explain this to them and even their own people on the phone just by viewing my information are puzzled? Now my account is under review? I was told that a letter was sent explaining their decision but they mailed it to the wrong address! Nice to know that someone or someone's are now knowing my personal information? Thanks BBVA Compass! As a Military Veteran I can't believe that this kind of business is allowed by lenders! That they without probable cause decide on their own judgment or with wrong information without verification make calls on Outstanding individuals' credit and stop the use of their service! I still can believe this is happening.

My advice to anyone who is dealing with this institution STOP!!! And Use Another Lender Immediately!!! This is very bad business and terrible customer service!!! After all those years, just to think I was just a number for interest rate collection!!! I know I can apply with anyone else and receive a card without this kind of untrust and unworthiness! I hope this message gets out and people take the time to read this! Take action of your own stuff!!! We all work very hard to maintain our credit while others destroy theirs and get better service! Unbelievable!!!

Compass Bank Company Profile