BBVA USA Bank

BBVA USA Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5

BBVA USA, formerly Compass and BBVA Compass, provides checking and savings accounts, credit cards, lending, mortgage and investment services. Product services are also available for remote banking, student banking and ClearSpend prepaid cards. Account holders can complete payments and transfers, pay bills, make deposits and receive alerts about their account activity through BBVA’s mobile banking app.

BOTTOM LINE

BBVA provides individuals and small businesses with low-cost and affordable banking options. Its specialty programs benefit a variety of customers, including mobile bankers.

PROS
  • Banking app
  • Apply online, in person or by phone
  • Free checking
CONS
  • Low APY on savings accounts
  • Limited branch locations

Top BBVA USA Bank Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

The employees are always friendly and helpful. The financial advisers are always ready to help with questions. There seems to be a branch in most cities and their summaries easy to understand.

I have tried to call four times now. The first three times I would get someone who would transfer me then I would sit on hold for another hour then the phone would go dead. Last time I called no answer at all. They for some reason have blocked my card and have no access to money on it.

BBVA bank services

BBVA USA is among the 25 largest commercial banks in the United States. BBVA’s banking services include checking accounts, savings accounts and credit cards for individuals and commercial clients. The bank also provides wealth management services. Customers can apply online, in person or by phone to open a new account, and the BBVA mobile banking app lets account holders access their information at any time.

Some of BBVA USA's services include:

BBVA checking accounts
    BBVA USA’s three personal checking accounts – Free, Convenience and Premium – can be opened with a deposit of $25. All account types include online and mobile banking, no ATM fees and a Visa debit card. While the Free option doesn’t require a monthly service fee, there’s a $9 monthly service fee for Convenience and a $19 monthly service fee for Premium. BBVA USA waives these charges for meeting specific requirements, including qualifying direct deposits every month or average daily collected balances. You can add features like overdraft protection, cashier’s checks and safe deposit boxes to select accounts.
    BBVA savings accounts
    With BBVA savings, customers can get a regular savings account, an online savings account, a money market account or a certificate of deposit (CD). Customers can earn as high as 0.5% annual percentage yield on their savings. Except for the certificate of deposit, which requires a $500 deposit to open, all of the accounts require a $25 minimum opening deposit. There are no ATM fees to withdraw money from a personal savings account.
    Credit cards
    Customers in Alabama, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Colorado, California and New Mexico have the option of four credit cards through BBVA: the BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints Card, Select Card and Optimizer Card. The BBVA Rewards Card, BBVA ClearPoints and Select Card come with special perks for avid shoppers.

For example, Select Card holders earn points on entertainment, dining, travel and purchases and receive 24/7 access to concierge services. BBVA’s Optimizer credit card is a good choice for consumers who want to build or improve their credit — it uses a savings account as collateral and offers a secured credit line that can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. All BBVA credit cards support Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.

Loans
    BBVA offers a variety of loans, investment services and specialty programs. Customers can choose from express personal loans, auto loans, home equity lines of credit, home equity loans and mortgage loans.
    Investment services
    Those interested in investing with BBVA can work with BBVA Investments, a full-service brokerage, and its financial consultants to prepare for retirement or education expenses. The company also offers online, self-directed brokerage accounts.
    Business checking

Like BBVA’s personal banking, small business owners can choose from three different checking accounts: BBVA Business Connect checking, BBVA Business Choice checking and BBVA Business Premium checking. All options require a $100 minimum opening deposit.

BBVA’s Business Connect Checking gives new business owners an opportunity to bank without the fees, and more established businesses have the opportunity to earn interest on their balance with BBVA Business Premium checking. Accounts include free online banking, mobile banking and bill pay through Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay.

Business savings and money market accounts
    BBVA business savings and business money market accounts offer small business owners the chance to put their money to work by earning interest on their savings. A BBVA business savings account can be opened with a $100 minimum deposit, while a business money market account requires a minimum $1,000 opening deposit.
    Business credit cards
    Business owners looking to open a credit card with BBVA can select the BBVA Visa Business Rewards credit card or Secured Visa Business credit card. Both cards offer 1.5 reward points for every $1 spent and additional staff cards for free. The $40 annual fee on the Secured Visa Business credit card can be waived the first year.
    Commercial, corporate and wealth
    Multiple solutions exist for BBVA’s commercial, corporate and wealth management clients. The commercial bank acts as a strategic partner to offer financing, risk management and wealth strategies for businesses, corporations, companies and individuals in 24 countries.

BBVA fees

The cost of opening an account with BBVA varies significantly based on the type — personal checking accounts may have no cost, while there may be a $1,000 minimum opening deposit on money market accounts.

Most personal banking accounts can be opened with a minimum of $25, and business checking and savings accounts generally require a minimum deposit of $100. The minimum opening deposits and monthly service charges for BBVA’s most popular products and services are listed below.

AccountMinimum depositMaint. charge
    BBVA Personal Free checking$25$0
    BBVA Personal savings certificates of deposit (CD)$500$0
    BBVA Business Premium checking$100$25
    BBVA Business savings$100$5
    BBVA Business money market$1,000$10 - $15

Costs may vary based on location — accounts in Alabama and Florida, for example, may incur a higher monthly maintenance charge than accounts in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, California or Texas. Most credit cards through BBVA also include no annual fee. For cards that do require an annual fee, the bank typically waives the first year’s fee.

BBVA FAQ

How long does BBVA mobile deposit take?
    BBVA mobile deposits take approximately 24 to 48 hours. Checks submitted for processing before 8:30 p.m. CT are deposited the same day, while checks submitted after that time are deposited the next business day.
    How long does it take for a check to clear at BBVA?
    While a hold on a check can occur for a variety of reasons, BBVA clears most checks within one to five business days.
    What time does BBVA direct deposit hit?
    BBVA direct deposits are accessible on the same business day.
    What is the BBVA Compass ATM daily limit?
    With BBVA Compass, customers can deposit up to 15 checks or 35 bills at one time, and they can withdraw a maximum of 30 bills at one time.
    Will BBVA let you overdraft?
    Yes, BBVA offers an Overdraft Payment and Protection program that lets you link a BBVA savings, money market or second checking account to cover overdrafts. Customers can also choose to opt out of overdraft protection if they prefer.

Is BBVA a good bank?

BBVA’s products and array of banking services make it worth considering for individuals and small businesses in need of affordable banking solutions. While branch banking is limited, BBVA offers customers nationwide the ability to apply online or by phone. However, be aware that customer reviews mention BBVA’s customer service can be slow to solve issues, and its online savings rate is lower than some competitors.

BBVA USA Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BBVA USA?

Original review: April 30, 2021

I have banked at BBVA for over 20 years. I always use drive up window for deposits and I have always received a receipt with current balance until today. The Geer Rd branch in Turlock Ca failed to put my balance on my receipt and when I asked for it the idiot teller asked me for my ID. When I called the bank to complain I was informed by another inept employee that I should get to know all the tellers names to keep that from happening again!!! REALLY!!! I could not believe my ears when he said that. I then asked to speak to branch manager. I was told he was “busy” again REALLY!!! I’m going to switch to Chase.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I was denied a cc because I applied using the first letter of my name and not my full name. I had sent documentation with both full name and initials. I closed acct. and opened at Wells. **. I felt if I were a great customer for six yrs with multiple accounts and outstanding credit. I was offered an invitation to apply for the credit card, yet the reviewer did not approve because I used my initial and last name. I had submitted 4 other documents to support my identity yet I was not approved. I wonder if my race had anything to do with her decision.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I've had this account for years & never had this type of problem but this is my money & reliability is important. I scheduled a payment of $7000+ to Commerce Bank using BBVA Online Banking. My BBVA account records show they remitted the money on 3/23 and show it as posted on 3/29. Today is 3/30 and Commerce Bank claims they have not received the check. I called BBVA to find out what happened & was told this payment was sent via the US Postal service. WHAT? WHY? All other payments I've made to Commerce via BBVA Bill Pay have gone electronically. Why did BBVA choose to send this payment via the US Postal Service with all of the issues USPS is currently facing. BBVA's poor judgment is costing me money!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

I recently paid off my car loan with BBVA. It's been almost 5 months and after numerous calls, being transferred, repeating myself constantly, placed on hold. I still do not have my vehicle's title. They are absolutely terrible to deal with on the phone, the insanity of repeating myself, the issue, the poor customer service, not having my vehicle's title is not acceptable. I would never recommend BBVA to anyone for a vehicle loans. BBVA has hundreds of negative reviews. How they remain in business is surprising. I want my title!

Original review: March 12, 2021

I received a preapproved offer (instant approval) for their BBVA ClearPoints CC. Didn't need it but figured I'd just go online and apply anyway since it was preapproved. Filled out the usual info like I've done before for other cards and since I have a Transunion credit score of 825 and 830 with Equifax it would get approved like always. After filling out the questions they said they'd contact me by phone or email, fine. So the next day I get an email and they asked me to upload all the following documents:

Driver's License Front
      Driver's License Back
      Social Security Card Front
      Social Security Card Back
      Most Recent Paystub (within last 30 days)
      Second Most Recent Paystub
      Current Utility Bill
      Most Recent Tax Return
      Second Most Recent Tax Return

Most Recent Primary Bank Statement

I started laughing because I've never seen anything like this before for a simple credit card. I would never give some strangers this kind of personal info, it actually seems more like a scam. Also why would they want a pay stub when I indicated I'm retired? Didn't they read the application? Messaged them back and told them to keep their card since anyone asking for this kind of info I want nothing to do with.

Original review: March 8, 2021

To restate the title of this review - apparently BBVA (Babco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria) is just another financial giant who cares more about political standing and company image than supporting liberty. I am in Texas and have banked with BBVA since around 2008. They were actually Compass Bank back then but sold out to an Argentinian banking conglomerate years ago. So far things have been okay. I even helped my son set up an account with them when he turned 18.

Recently the governor of Texas announced the lifting of all restrictions regarding COVID 19 including the mask mandate. This was more than reasonable since the vaccine is now being distributed to those who want it and 99.9% of anyone who contracts COVID lives. Many don't even know they have or ever had it. With the hundreds of thousands of people who die every year around the world from the common flu and when compared to actual deadly pandemics from the past, the draconian measures we have undergone for the past year were way beyond anything necessary. In fact, many lives and businesses were lost because of the restrictions.

Anyway, BBVA has now decided that, despite the governor's order, they will continue to force their customers to wear masks when in the branches. When I tried to contact a rep online to explain this policy to me they basically redirected me to the bank's COVID response policies that are posted on their website without actually answering any of my questions. After only being online with the rep for a few minutes they abruptly ended the chat session. This all may fall on deaf ears for some, but for those who care about liberty you need to help ring the alarm bell. Don't take these kind of things lying down. Speak up however you can.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have banked with Compass for many years. This year got rough for me due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. I’m a Cna and Med tech that works through an agency and my jobs consisted of me going into group homes working with developmentally challenged adults. Well when the pandemic hit the group homes decided it was in the best interest of the residents to just use their workers and put agency on hold which is understandable. Due to losing my Job, I fell two months behind on my credit card payments. I explained to the worker in the customer service department what was going on and that I will pay all fees and balances upon receiving my stimulus money as I’m still out of work. She assured me that would be fine and she would note my account.

Few days later I get an alert from Experian that my account has been closed. I called customer service to see why and that’s when I found out the worker didn’t note my account but they do see where I spoke with someone. So I then called my local bank to speak with the lady who helped me set up my account and see if she can help me restore my card or help in any way. She called back saying it was nothing she could do on her end so I called the corporate office to file a complaint and escalation. During this process the lady Stephanie I spoke with told me to go pay the balance and she would restore my account and to give her five business days for it to show cleared on my account and my card back active. So I waited an additional week and a half still no difference.

When I call my local bank she tells me that Stephanie in corporate customer service gave me the wrong info and once my card has been closed it’s nothing they can do. So once again I’ve been lied to by a compass employee. So I told her I want my funds released ASAP so I can bank elsewhere because I don’t appreciate the service I received from a bank I’ve trusted for years with my finances only to be told I would have to wait an additional twenty days to get my money. I’m hurt and furious at this point.

I will never recommend BBVA compass again. This was very unprofessional treatment and sad to be treated like this in the midst of a pandemic. I opened this account to build credit so that I can purchase a home for me and my kids as I’m a single parent. The lack of care and training from compass staff has made that harder now due to the rating on my credit report from this issue. I’m hoping to hear from the president of the bank and that he/she will make this wrong right.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

This is an absolute first in my life. Was issued a corporate check from my employer and took it in to get it cashed. The teller made me wait 10 minutes in front of her window before telling me she wouldn't be able to cash it. I inquired as to why, and her response is she can't verify it in their system. I replied "Verify what? It's your check, the account number should match up and the proper name on the account with your check issuance should be enough." She replied, "Sorry not going to do it." I asked for the manager and he came over and was just as rude as she was about the whole thing. Think about this, a bank who will not honor their own checks from their customers. Not sure what type of scam this is but the Fed needs to look into this.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I have two big gripes with BBVA Compass Bank. One is overdraft fees and the other is disputes (chargebacks). Sometime in 2019 I received and overdraft fee on a ACH transaction, but I had deposited cash into my account the same day to cover it. The next day I check my account and I there was an overdraft fee for the ACH. I went into a local Phoenix branch and I said I received the overdraft fee, but I deposited the cash the same business day.

The teller informed me that it's based on time stamp and has nothing to do with same business day. She said the ACH came through sometime around the 4am hour and the cash deposit was around 8am. This was all news to me that Compass Bank is unlike any other bank that honors same business day deposits. However, about 6-8 weeks ago I had two pending charges that took place on a weekend and a 3rd transaction that took place the Monday afterwards and I was charged overdraft fee's on all 3. Hypocrisy.

Second issue. On October 24th, 2020 I disputed a $100 charge I made with my debit card earlier in the month for an online trading service that ended up being a scam. The service was offering to help learn stock trading, tutorials, one on one assistance, etc. None of that was true and I charged back quickly. After a couple of weeks of the dispute sitting in pending status I called into BBVA Compass for an update. They said there was no update as of now, but to keep checking back. About 2 weeks later it still sat in pending so I called back into BBVA Compass for an update and the customer service rep said they usually have a decision within 30 days, but a max of 45. Today is day 42 and it's still pending and something told me that this dispute hasn't even been touched by BBVA Compass so I called back in.

The first rep I spoke to, Virginia, told me she was going to place on hold and find out what was going on after I explained everything to her. She didn't even come back on the line. She cold transferred me to a rep named Juan and I had to explain everything all over again. He asked me if I had a receipt of the transaction and I said no because it's a scam hence the chargeback and that my $100 posted transaction in my checking account is my receipt. He said there was no update. I said okay well in 3 days it's the 45 day max on disputes. He told me they have up to 90 days to clear the matter. 90 days. Unreal.

Every time I call into BBVA Compass I either get a different answer or somebody who is unable to answer simple questions about my account. Knowing that there's no definitive protocol on what constituents an overdraft fee and what doesn't is lovely. I'm through with this bank. Outdated and slow ATM's, terrible customer service, and locations.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

BBVA has the worst customer service of any company I have ever used! I paid off a car loan with them over 60 days ago and they still have not released my title. Every time I call them to see what the hold up is on the title release I get a different reason from every person I speak with. When I ask for a supervisor they say they are all busy and that one will call me back. 60 days later and I still have not received a call back or received my title release. Hard to believe this bank is still in business. Stay away!

BBVA USA Bank Company Information