Compass Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have called numerous times to be placed on their DO NOT CALL list. I receive calls at 6 pm to 9 pm asking me how my banking experience went. This is only for one of their locations on Woodway in Houston, Texas. I do not want to respond to a voice that I do not even know if they are affiliated with this bank or not. I never discuss banking experiences over the phone. They will not stop calling me even when I offer to discuss my banking experience in person if they have something they want to tell me.

Believe every review you see here. I have had nothing but negative experiences with this bank over the past year. My issues are not related to NSF's which I know is common. They have continuously locked me out of my account, both on-line and on the mobile app. They have locked me out of mobile deposits and limit the deposit amounts to $200/day - you think they'd want my money. In addition, I have submitted three (3) formal (over phone with a rep) requests to change my PIN. The ONLY method to update the PIN is via US Mail. I have yet to receive any forms via mail to change my PIN. Finally, I had a credit account for overdraft protection. I used it several times and paid the balance off each time. Without notice they shut down the credit line and charged me fees. I'm done with them.

I received an overdraft charge for $3! I got gas and I thought it cleared since it did not show the $1 hold as my other cards. So once I saw the gas charge go through and it overdrew my account by $3 I went to the bank immediately after work and deposited the money to make it positive and it was before 5 pm. I asked that lady would the fee be charged since I was making my account positive before they assessed the charge and she told me I would not be charged. Tuesday morning, BAM, there goes that $38 overdraft fee. Called customer service as soon as they opened and after being disconnected twice and 15 min later I finally got a rep. That rep was just as mean and rude. Then asked me which location did I make my deposit at and I told him. I advised him what the bank lady said and everything.

After he was very quiet and confirmed the location I went to, he said I would have to talk to the branch and immediately transferred me to that branch location. Well the branch was not open yet and had he not so rudely transferred me so quickly I would have told him that. So 25 min wasted and nothing resolved. Went back to the branch and the lying lady said she never told me it wouldn't be charged. I was shocked! So they wouldn't reverse it either. So I finally emailed their online customer service complaining about their horrible customer service and about wanted that $38 reversed and they ignored me. They never got back to me. This makes the 2nd time I've emailed them through their site and they just refused to respond. They will respond to basic questions because I have emailed them a few times but every time there is some error on the account or me asking about them reversing ODF then they want to ignore me.

Rude, money greedy bank won't be getting my business anymore. After 1 year and thousands of dollars being deposited there I am done. I suggest anybody reading this to NOT bank with BBVA. I only banked with them because they were close to my house and I had just moved to Texas but I have a credit union account and I bank at another bank and trust me, I did my research before I opened up these account. I wish I would have did the same with this horrible bank.

Opened checking account 9-16 with $600. personal check from B of A. The money left B of A that day. Said there would be a hold but knew all was well and didn't realize hold was 7-8 days no matter that $$ had been there for days. Paid Edison Co $250. on day 6 and though my account had $600. cleared, they acted like they did me a huge favor by paying it (with MY MONEY) and CHARGED ME WITH A $35. overdraft fee. Just like all the other corps. in the 2016 fraudulent "technology advancements" business model, the customer service is a loop of absurdity that I will not do anymore. Companies now help themselves to your bank account, 4 times so far, on bogus charges. We are still fighting Sears. We are dropping out of the system. We have an option from Social Security that will let us go bankless.

Also, many people do not pay fees or extortion style fees or add-ons. I don't and they make threats (again EXTORTION) but it's all bs. They don't do anything because one cannot legally defend illegal actions in court. Please, please, please spread the word NOT to pay anything but what you owe. IT WORKS. WE THE PEOPLE NEED TO SAY STOP. NO ** WAY AM I GOING TO BE SWINDLED OUT OF MY MONEY. There are laws (see FTC.gov) but they are not enforced. Our money and lives are being dictated by greedy egoed-out suits who throw out these bs fees and practices at their sick whims, unabated. DO NOT BE A FOOL. Don't pay one penny more than you owe. Pass it on.

I advised that I don't want items coming out of my account without my approval. Somehow that did not take place and I ended up paying $200 in overdraft fees. Recently my phone company tried to take out a payment that didn't clear but I was charged for the attempt a week later. The amount came out of my account and made it negative by $14 and hour later I put in $15 and my account was positive. The next day I was charged an overdraft fee and was told that there's nothing that they can do because they only remove "2 fees per year" in which once a fee is charged they charge more fees on top of that when the account is negative. So now I will owe more as the fees accumulate but they're the reason my account is negative to begin with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

I first applied at BBVA Compass Bank for a line of credit in 2001, I received approval from BBVA Compass Bank for the amount of 19,000 dollars. I have never been late on any payments, always paid on time, always called to let them know any changes in my travels, to include home address and phone number updates. Now after 15 years BBVA Compass Bank has decided on their own not to re-issue my card because they have received information from TransUnion that my debt to credit ratio is too high? Mind you I only have one credit card theirs with a balance of 5,400 of the 19,000 available to me. A USAF base card that I can only be used on government facilities of 500.00 that has a 2 dollar a month user's fee, 0 balance! And the last thing is my car loan of 25,000 that I have. Mind you I haven't had a car payment in over 14 years! My credit is Outstanding! With no late or a no payment history whatsoever in my life!

I called and explain this to them and even their own people on the phone just by viewing my information are puzzled? Now my account is under review? I was told that a letter was sent explaining their decision but they mailed it to the wrong address! Nice to know that someone or someone's are now knowing my personal information? Thanks BBVA Compass! As a Military Veteran I can't believe that this kind of business is allowed by lenders! That they without probable cause decide on their own judgment or with wrong information without verification make calls on Outstanding individuals' credit and stop the use of their service! I still can believe this is happening.

My advice to anyone who is dealing with this institution STOP!!! And Use Another Lender Immediately!!! This is very bad business and terrible customer service!!! After all those years, just to think I was just a number for interest rate collection!!! I know I can apply with anyone else and receive a card without this kind of untrust and unworthiness! I hope this message gets out and people take the time to read this! Take action of your own stuff!!! We all work very hard to maintain our credit while others destroy theirs and get better service! Unbelievable!!!

I set up bill pay for my car payment. JUST SET IT UP, put in the amount, due date, etc. They paid it even though my deposit had not gone in. I Never entered to pay it. They could see there was not enough money in the account, charged me $35 and closed the account!! That's a pure setup!!

I opened my account not too many months ago but long enough to have about 11 deposits from work put into my account with them. When I first opened my checking account online nowhere on their site did it say I was opening a Prepaid checking account nor did it inform me when I finished my application. When I received my debit card I had no problems at all. Then I get a notice maybe 2 months in about a security alert on my account. I called and spoke with one of their call center people who do not know a darn thing about anything and they told me my account would be fine they just needed to verify the charges that were being pulled out were from me. So they told me once they checked into it my account was fine so I said okay and then asked the guy if there was a fee for ordering a new card and he said no so I told him "Okay you can go ahead and order a new card because my card was cracked."

My new card comes in and then when I try and activate it it says to call them because I have a hold on my account. Mind you every time you call a person answers. They ask you for your card info then your name and last four of your ss then from there they transfer. If they are good at anything it's transferring you to someone else who has no clue what they're doing. I talk to whoever answers and explain to them that I cannot get any of my funds from my account and they transfer me to someone who can help again.

Long story short the calling and getting transferred never ends but they had my account on hold where I could not touch money that was in my account for 2 weeks and then when I called back for about the 10th time to see if it was fixed the girl leaves me on hold and comes back and says "Okay ma'am your account has been closed and funds in your account have been mailed out to you." WOW!!! "What an inconvenience" is what I told her. What BANK does that? Only them. Just an FYI they will forever tell you they are sending the issue to upper management and you should have your account fixed within a day or the next business day. Really it is supposed to be 3-5 business days.

Now I am late on my bills thanks to a bank I thought was a reliable bank, all because they wanted to verify my address and I sent the documentation and because they couldn't deal with it. I will never understand these how are you not able to verify an account quickly. Frost verified my driver's license by fax within 5 min and the girl sent my card and info - now that is customer service. As for this bank customer service is at the very least rating I could give them, they do not deserve a star.

I refinanced my home mortgage with BBVA Compass two years ago. The process was screwed up from day one as the bank recorded the homeowner's insurance cost at $67. Any bank should know better! Due to this error the escrow account was off by a LOT the first year. Now after the second year I've requested a new escrow disclosure statement after changing insurance companies and that seems to be a BIG problem. When I first called about it I was told "the system is down, no one can help you." Today it was another run around. I anticipate this being another frustrating process to get it resolved. Beware the incompetence!

Don't let their "high yield" money market account lurk you into opening an account with them because the "good rate" would only last a couple of months and will drop way low. When you realize the low low rate, it would be at least one and one half month later because by the time you got your statement and look at it, it is 45 days later. It is not worth the time to opening an account and closed your account within 4 month. When trying to talk to a representative, NO ONE can give you a clear answer. Do not do business with them. Awful banking experience.

Pure Incompetence. We (unfortunately) have our business account with these morons. I've never seen such incompetence in my life, from the branch to the call centers. Every single thing we've done with them has been screw up! It's like the hire day/temp workers. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.

I recently opened a checking account and they offer a saving and also some clear benefits that offer roadside assistance phone protection. The day I open the account they weren't able to provide me with my ID number for the roadside assistance. I set up online banking and I found out they didn't link my saving to my checking online service. I called the customer service number. I waited 55 min. to find out if have to go to the branch so that they can set it up... So they did but still weren't able to give me my Id number for the roadside. The lady said the only thing I needed was my ss and they'll find my benefits... I called the road assistance toll free number. They another of questions but can't assist me with my ss so I called again and they made me wait for 30 mins. to tell me I have to go to branch store.

I went to the branch store and spoke with ** on 120 N. Stone Ave., Tucson, AZ. I spent more than an hour with him. Make me waste my time. Didn't give my Id number so he promise a callback. He never did. This was the 3rd and was promise a callback 2 times by this location and another one from the toll free number. Still don't have my Id number for my benefits with it have to pay for, which I don't mind as long as I get my services. This bank is by far the worst. He gave his business card for what. I don't they don't anything for you.

Trust the reviews that talk about Nsf fees!! I opened my account in April, I balance my checkbook and keep it up to date. I had an issue with PayPal where I had made a deposit to PayPal and made a charge to a company online. Instead of taking it out of my PayPal balance, it charged it to my card and made it pending negative balance. So, I transferred the 20 dollars from PayPal to my bank and I was relieved it transferred before the charge posted. I checked my account to see a positive balance and ordered a pizza which would leave me a small available balance.

Then, the next morning, I see a Nsf fee. I spoke with customer service who had an explanation that wouldn't make any sense to anyone with at least a little bit of intelligence, but it was no use arguing with them. He explained that PayPal had a "charge" of .25 and when I said that they were "testing" the account and a corresponding credit of .16 and .09 came through, they said it didn't matter and they are seen as charges. They ended up crediting me 19 dollars (half the Nsf fee), but that will still leave a negative balance and another Nsf fee will be charged when it posts.

I've heard other people who kept their accounts in good standing have their account randomly closed and they were mailed a check with their balance. No matter how much you need or want a checking account, do not ever open an account here. I'm not sure on this point, but I had heard something about them not being "accredited" but I'm not sure what that means.

I opened a new account for my business and made a substantial deposit. Of that deposit, 4 of my customers bounced checks on us. This is common for most mail order businesses. It's part of the business. However, Compass froze my account and treated me like a criminal. I will never use Compass for any type of business. They are not business friendly and act in a reckless and unprofessional manner.

Mortgage Department was very unorganized and disconnected from department to department. My process took several months with me receiving mutable approvals resulting from numerous mistakes made by BBVA COMPASS resulting in excessive credit report pulls that adversely affected my credit rating. I regret using them for this loan. Be cautious.

I opened an account with BBVA beginning of May. On May 20, 2016 after depositing money from my business PayPal account and then attempting to make a purchase that was denied. I was confused. I called and to my surprise my account had been closed showing a balance of 0. I inquired with the customer service associate who had no idea what was going on. He was like, "I do not know and we will be closed Monday". Why? It is not a holiday. TRASH.

I am currently on hold with a CSR who is trying to transfer me to the online account department. It is 5/23/2016 10:00am CST. I have been on hold for 10 minutes. I cannot login into my online banking account and was not notified of this via phone or email. Once I receive my funds, I will NEVER bank with this company again. Would not recommend them to anyone. I would rather sign up to Woodforest bank or use a prepaid card. Everyone is oblivious to what is going on or what I need to do. Do not open an account with them is my final answer.

I got overdraft fee twice in one day, just for trying to purchase without enough balance. The overdraft fee is 38 x 2 = 76 $$$. BTW I signed up for OVERDRAFT FEE PROTECTION. They told me it is not going to work when using it in PayPal... That is ridiculous!

BBVA has been a thorn in my side for a few years. I am trying to wean myself, slowly, but surely. I just closed one loan account, and checking account yesterday. I still have a big account left, and that will take some time. I called 5/9/16 to question a payment that hadn't posted. The clerk said he would make sure another payment would be sent, and he was going to put a stop payment on the initial check. I asked if there was going to be a fee involved, and he said "No, it's not your fault. I'm going to waive it." Guess what? The fee was on my account. Therefore, I had to call AGAIN, and I got a rep in PUERTO RICO (better than India), and she said she was going to check to see who would be able to give me credit. I knew then, I was going to have to put the boxing gloves on. After a long wait, she said the manager, Amber, was going to pull the call, and verify what I was saying. Oh Hell No!!

I asked to speak with her, and after another long wait, Amber came online. I told her she should have immediately taken the charge off, then if necessary, listen to the call. She needed to take my word for it. Then she gives me the standard..."one-time courtesy credit". NOOO, NOT a 1 time credit. I told her I wanted my account noted that that stipulation was NOT going to pertain to this account. Total BS. I also told her, I was going to complain about this shoddy service, and that her name would be mentioned. I asked her where she was, and she said "a call center"... really?? "Oh, Puerto Rico" So, Amber, in Puerto Rico "call center" needs to have her call with me pulled too... terrible service, to say the least.

I began calling the Client Advocate Department on 4-13 after being told that Customer Service could not handle my Deferment Request. You can not get a live person in this department, it is always a voicemail. They inform you to leave a message with all your information and they will call you back. I didn't receive a callback on 4-13, called back on 4-27 still no callback. I tried to call on 4-28 since the message from the department states someone will call back in 48 hours. I have had three agents send emails to the department and a supervisor send an email but no callbacks. It is almost like they are trying to force customers to pay instead of taking advantage of any opportunities during difficult times. I don't know what I am going to do but getting away from Compass Bank is top priority!!!

I opened this account 4 months ago to have a secondary account to manage expenses. Shortly after it was opened, I went away for the weekend and spent what little money was in the account but I did not overdraw the account. On Monday morning, my Hulu monthly subscription was deducted out of my account and was pending, so I ran up to the ATM right away and deposited $20 to cover it. On Tuesday morning, I saw they had charged me 3 NSF fees! I went down to the bank and spoke with the manager who kept saying they do "real time banking" and at the time the authorizations came through, my account was negative. It wasn't. You can clearly see how everything was deducted from my account on my statements. It was never once overdrawn until Hulu came out. But I made a deposit immediately. That doesn't count she told me because I don't have until the end of the business day.

If the money isn't in there the moment they deduct it, I get charged an NSF fee. It still didn't explain how they justified charging me the two other fees. She made absolutely no sense and we kept going in circles until she finally agreed to credit back the two NSF fees. A similar scenario happened again but they wouldn't reverse the fees. On another occasion, I tried to make a deposit through the ATM just before the deadline because I knew I had a transaction coming out in the morning. The ATM wouldn't accept the deposit... with no explanation. I went in the next morning to deposit it and of course they had already charged me another NSF fee (which after arguing, they again reversed).

Last week, I made an ATM deposit early in the morning. In the past, they have always credited $200 immediately. Now they didn't. I called the bank and they had no record of my deposit even though I had the receipt. She eventually said she would have the person who pulls the checks from the ATM bring mine to her so she could post it right away. She did keep her word. Now, I am trying to use the mobile app to deposit a check for the first time, and it says I'm not authorized to do so (even though I was before). I called customer service and they told me because I have had so many NSF fees (the limit is 2), they revoked that privilege. I am closing this account tomorrow. Ridiculous way to do business!

It has been awhile since BBVA wasted so much of my time, pretending to do a simple refinance, then when I managed to pull the funds from other places, and payoff their lousy loan, it took forever for them to release the deed. I thought I was going to have to get a lawyer, or get the state involved. This crummy banker needs to leave the state of Colorado and never come back. I feel sorry for people who don't yet know who they are trying to do banking with! Be careful folks! They don't play fair ball.

Worst experience ever. I am putting 20% down, with W2 and 1099. Have $100k in multiple accounts with them. Been a customer since 2012 and applied for a stupid home loan for $270k. It took BBVA Compass more than a month to finish my loan application. Got denial letter after the deadline and lost $2,800 earnest money. DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. I liquidated my investment and will close all my BBVA accounts tomorrow. I will advise all my clients (I am a CPA) and everyone I know to NOT deal them this bank ever.

Worst bank ever... I applied for a mortgage loan on FEB. 1. The loan processor request documents on Feb. 18, 2016. I sent EVERYTHING, all the documents he requested, on the next day (FEB. 19). He sent me an email stating that he will review everything and send it to the underwriter as soon as possible. After that he never called back until 2 weeks LATER, and I asked him if the underwriter gave the final approved and he said, "OH I HAVEN'T REVIEW YOUR DOCS YET. Give me a couple days and after that I will submit everything to the underwriter." Really!!! He didn't do **. 3 days later I called him to get an update (again he never called or reply to my emails) and he told me, "I'm sorry, I will review your documents today and I'll send them to the underwriter tomorrow." He never did. He never called me.

I got in contact with a manager because my contract is about to expired and no one did anything to help me. My contract expire tomorrow and I don't even know if they submitted the docs to underwriter yet. I am about to lose $2,500 that I spent on the house (inspection, appraisal, deposit, HOA, etc.) and about to lose the house as well because I can't even ask for an extension if the bank is doing nothing!!! WORST BANK EVER!!!

I totaled my car. I had a loan through them. Their low Apr reeled me in but after I totaled it they would say would send documents and never do it and just would tell my insurance company the pay off cause it could on be read off through automated system so they said would, didn't. Got on three way call with my insurance company, said they would, again didn't. It all took 4 phone calls on my part and I don't know how from insurance company took them a month to cash the check after they received it then they didn't tell my car dealership it was totaled. Lied about doing so couldn't get my documents I needed for my gap claim. The branch said it's not their job and nice lady at the dealership had to call 3 number just to get them to her and then the branch said they were getting their documents sent in four times.

I went find out something - it's not their job to help get the documents. They need to send in for their part of the claim, gave me special total loss number that I called. I told him to call it while I was there so they could fax the documents there. They didn't answer, left a voice, said he would get back with me. I called it at 20 times and left voice mails no answer. I final talk the loan department into sending I thought but they lied and only sent one. I call back and they said they needed a request in writing. Thank God the gap insurance just figured it out with my payment history or I would still be waiting. This took at least 200 hundreds and 5 months for 4 documents and them to cash a check. Who knows what will happen with the gap check. So if you like being lied to and treated like you are wasting their time Compass Bank is for you.

I opened an account with them. Little did I know the obnoxiously designed piece of crap website that awaited me. Of the three banks I do business with, their max password length is the shortest of the three, and woefully short of my standard length for high security passwords. Of the same three banks, the "character set" available for passwords is unquestionably the most restricted, with only a small selection of special characters, and excluding many of the more common ones.

BUT WAIT!!! THERE'S MORE!!! Apparently, recognizing their crappy password solution set is insufficient, instead of lengthening it and expanding the character set available, they decided to make the "security questions" that are supposed to be "last resort" and instead required one or more of them to simply LOG ON.

But WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!! As with the password, there's a length restriction on your answers... because an extra 50 bytes of character data spread across, what, 1,000,000 customers would be 50 whole **megabytes** of data!! GASP!!! The bank can't afford THAT!!! Hard disks are expensive!! Now, I don't HAVE standard answers to these questions. I have an atypical system for making up such answers, and somehow, while I have ZERO PROBLEMS with security questions that are FIVE YEARS OLD, I've failed repeatedly at managing to guess what these idiot things are, somehow. Because I don't think they're actually remembering them. This is the worst legit banking site I've ever seen. I've opened an account with a different bank and I'll be shifting my business there. BBVA Compass sucks.

For the last 5 years I have been trying to get BBVA Compass bank to explain to me how they amortize a loan. Every month that we pay a different figure goes to principal and interest. One month only $80 will go to principal and then the next month $198 will go to principal. It is a fixed rate loan. The payment is made from an auto debit from a Compass account. It makes no sense. I have talked to everyone numerous times to explain this to me. They say they cannot put it online they do not have the IT department that can do that and I have to call them every month to get a statement to use as a receipt that we have made the payment and can see what is going to interest and what is going to principal. Otherwise, we get nothing but an end of the year statement to use for IRS. This has been going on for years. I think they are overcharging on our interest. And, refuse to put it online so we get a monthly accounting.

I recently opened an account with this bank and purchased a 13 month CD. I sent in my check to fund the CD, and kept waiting for the account to show my deposit. After about 2 weeks, I finally called to see if they had even received my check and was told the CD had been redeemed. I kept explaining that I did not redeem the CD. So the rep put me on hold and never came back. I really want to know what happened to my check and who redeemed it. No answers at all from them!! So I stopped payment on the check. They had my email, phone numbers, address... could have at least asked me if I had redeemed it or not. I have never had such bad, rude treatment from any bank before or either just plain incompetence on their part. I wish I had read all the bad reviews on this bank before dealing with them. I would never recommend this bank to anyone!!

My account was in the hold because I made a purchase of 4.18 and was charged 35.00 for bank overdraft. Several calls made to the bank. Do not want overdraft protection. They sent me a letter account my account -49.00. Went to the bank about 2 weeks later paid 60.00. They charged me 50.00 more dollars and stated my overdraft was not paid in a mannerly time. Who does that? That's a rip-off to the customers. I asked for a manager and emailed the bank and to this date I have not gotten a response. Worst banking experience I have encountered. Customers be aware. So thankful this was just a side bank.

Opted for Overdraft 3 days ago. A day or two later I made a purchase between $8-$9. I chose the credit option. The bank only AUTHORIZED $6.26 and I PAID the difference. Problem is I ONLY HAD $6.25, a penny shy of what they authorized. They should have PAID THE TOTAL AMOUNT or DECLINED THE WHOLE AMOUNT. They should have paid $6.25 what I had and I could have paid a penny more in cash. So they wanted charge me $38 because in their crooked and greedy eyes, they approved it. This is their way of getting over on the POOR & MIDDLE CLASS. I called them and they suggested I go add the penny cause every penny has to be counted for.

I talked with them twice over the phone, and twice in person. Once with a teller, and once with a manager. My account was supposed to zero out if there were no funds. We set it up this way, and had documentation. This is the 6th time they have done a NSF charge to my account. This is after I signed a physical piece of paper in front of the manager stating I wanted the account to zero out if there was not enough money in it to cover a bill. Today, again, they let the NSF fees happen. The manager said to call him if it happened again and he would make them go away.

Compass Bank Company Profile