1.07/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Compass Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Compass Bank Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Unfortunately, I experienced BBVA Compass Bank predatory lending and baking scam. After my loan matured, in which the bank's employee lead me to believe this was an open line of credit, I had to reapply for the line of credit or pay the full amount of the loan. BBVA Compass Bank checked my credit (3) hard inquiries, all within 30 days of each inquiry, to renew my line of credit loan. After my credit score went from 721 to 545, I was offered a personal loan at 28% interest or pay the full amount of loan. I expressed my deep concerns to the branch manager, she stated, "I know we've checked your credit a lot but we can offer you a personal loan". I am paying a high percent interest rate to the bank now.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Although, I love the credit card and its interest rates, there are definitely issues. You cannot change your address online, they require you to send them a private message in order to change, address, phone or email. Every single year, I have to contact them to get a new card, when the previous one expires. This has been ongoing now for 14 years. As well, they keep sending me paper statements. I have opted out of paper statements, via their site and mobile app. Yet I keep getting them. When you send private message about it, they send you the same link with instructions on how to stop them. You follow the link's instructions to a "T", only to find you already have them off. So they are the worst credit card company with the best interest rate, is the only reason, I deal with this pathetic excuse of a bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I've been a Compass Bank (now BBVA) customer for over 20 years, and quite frankly loved their personal service. However, they have instituted a new online banking system that is just horrendous to navigate. First they just deleted (lost) all the EFT relationships that I formerly had established. It's been a week trying to use their system to reestablish that EFT capability... I honestly don't think I will be able to, despite probably 20+ phone calls. Second, while I fully support security measures, they now only allow verification to be done by only one cell phone. All my other banking relationships provide e-mail, hard telephone line, cell phone line, voice recognition options... (AmEx Bank, CIT Bank, Wells Fargo, Charles Schwab.)

They do not conceptualize that not everyone has good cell phone reception at their home, nor have the one cell phone with them at convenient times. My wife and I share one cell phone, and furthermore have poor and unreliable connection at our residence. They do not provide a system to add beneficiaries to your account.

I've always had a preferred account with no charges for wire transfers or EFT transactions... They do not recognize that when establishing a new account. They are no longer the same bank as before. I would advise caution if you decide to open an account with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I've spent hours trying to work with BBVA customer service. BBVA agents miscopied my bank account number so 2 payments (July, August)were reversed while I was away on a long trip. Despite hours on the phone trying to solve the riddle. They gave me a "delinquent" status and my credit score went down 73 points! I'm currently hoping they reverse that, and realize it's their fault, but they haven't acknowledged any blame for many of the errors they've already made over months. The buck stops with no one!

I then paid off the 2 month balance but they somehow thought in the upcoming billing I still owed them for 2 months! I went over it with 4 people, the second one told me that I first missed a payment a month earlier. (June) I accepted he wouldn't lie to me so I payed the double payment, only to find when I looked into my bank statement in June, it shows the payment was debited on my account! He gave me false information and got me to pay double. When I phoned back to cancel the payment and pay for the one month that was due, the agent acknowledged the error, but he told me they can neither cancel the payment or refund extra money I paid. And what's more, that extra payment won't be credited toward the next months statement! So they profited from giving me false information about a non payment!

Up to that point, I argued with 4 agents in 2 hour long calls who couldn't realize that I owed for one payment until I finally asked the last agent to read the statement they mailed out to me. He finally realized I was right, but was unable to formally say so,. At which point he profusely apologized but never admitted the wrong doing.

I sympathize with agents where English is not their first language, but they have to be able to understand what the customer is saying to them.Often they'll say they understand, until you find out they don't. This is just the tip of the iceberg and I've only been with them 6 months.Their agents can't access records, they pass off to another agent, where you have to start your story all over again, but no one has any authority to really effect anything. Do not accept anything they say to you. They should be reported.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I have never worked with a more terrible bank in my life. For starters, they lost $20,000 of our money for 3 weeks!! Every time I would call they would pass me from person to person and then disconnect the call. When they finally found our money, we told them we wanted to close our account with them and withdraw our money, and THEY WOULD NOT LET US TAKE OUT ALL OF OUR MONEY. It took us 2 months and $50 in transaction fees, 2 notarized letters and a letter from a lawyer to get our money. DO NOT ever use this bank! I cannot stress this enough. Worst and most stressful experience we have ever had with a bank, and their customer service (If you can even call it that) is laughable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

BBVA (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria) - USA is the U.S., FDIC-insured, arm of a Spanish multinational banking group. It is one of the largest (multibillion-dollar) financial institutions in the world. Having ascertained these basic facts and the bank's financial soundness, but with considerable trepidation, I decided to open an online savings (money market) account with BBVA, because it offered the highest APY among those that I could find online. I immediately began to regret that decision and closed the account only two days after it had been opened and my funding deposit had finally become available for transfer.

I am writing this review solely to warn others who may be attracted by BBVA's high savings yield to stay away and look elsewhere. Here is why. To shorten my long list of grievances, the bank has simply refused to enter the 21st century and operates on the basis of policies and procedures that remind me of the mid-20th century. Just a few examples. The application process alone is sheer torture. After filling in the usual personal information, BBVA wanted me to scan and upload a photo ID for verification of my identity. I tried, but its online system was unable to upload the file.

After multiple unsuccessful attempts, I finally called and reached a representative, who was at a loss to explain the failure and then suggested I send the photo ID as an e-mail attachment, which I did. Nothing happened for several days, not even an acknowledgment that the e-mail had been received, much less that my ID had been successfully verified. To accomplish that required a few more phone calls. All in all, it took about one week merely to establish the online account, several more days of staring at a zero account balance until my funding deposit was finally credited. Unless I receive an ex post facto notification at some future date, no interest accrued during that intervening period.

BBVA continues to do some of its business exclusively via "snail snail;" for example, adding beneficiaries to a BBVA online savings account requires a signed paper form to be mailed in via USPS. Imagine -- this is 2019! Its online policies and procedures are opaque, onerous, and customer-averse, and even simple transactions require verification via special code transmission. BBVA's online menu is like an endless, hopeless labyrinth from which there is no escape. My advice: Please don't be lured by the high APY. It's just not worth the unspeakable anger and frustration.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

For the last year I hadn’t had any problems with this card- although I found it annoying at times that I had to call each month and “schedule a call back” just to pay my bill because their website doesn’t function properly, ever, and therefore I could never just pay online or through their app. For the last two weeks, I have called early every day. Some days, there is a message saying they are having technical difficulties and to call back another time. Most days, I schedule the callback and have NOT ONCE received a call! ALL I'M TRYING TO DO IS PAY MY BILL!!! I have never been in a situation like this and I do not know what to do. I am beyond frustrated and highly regret opening this account.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

They gave my NEW card info to a debt collector! My husband and I have been with BBVA for 20 years. Recently we fell on hard times, we entered debt consolidation and were told to open a brand new account, with brand new debit cards, and let the debt consolidators handle all debt. My husband signed up with LA Fitness 20 years ago. He has not used his membership in approximately a year, LA Fitness called Compass, and sent the contract, and Compass gave them our new debit card number, where they deducted ALL "past due" monthly dues. Keep in mind, he has not even used this service in a YEAR. I am furious, beyond furious. They didn't even call us! I can't call until 9, but we are closing our account and filing a formal complaint. We are disgusted, how is our money safe? What business did they have to circumvent our debt consolidators? Maryanne ** Tucson, AZ

Original review: July 18, 2019

Keep in mind that I did not intend to deposit a fake check of $2500 to my checking account. I fell victim to a scam by a fake employment company that told me to use their check to buy the online materials I needed for the job. Being such a large amount of money, the bank put my account on hold for several days for verification purposes. Understandable.

A week later, I am rejected completely from signing in to my account on the BBVA mobile app; unable to access my routing or account numbers, my deposit statements, nothing. I went to the nearest physical location to try to seek help. One employer said that for closed accounts, they have to speak to their manager who was not there that day so they could not help me. They told me to come another day. After calling customer service, I was put on hold and then hung up on before even being transferred. I called again and got through to a representative. She told me that my account got closed automatically and that she can’t open it back up for my situation. ‘There is no possible way to re-open it’, she said.

I asked if I could open up another bank account and her reply was that my name, phone number, address, and Social Security number were permanently saved to a list that denies me any entry to rejoin as a BBVA member. Mind you, I still had money in this account which was not refunded to me before they closed it. Now I’m being told there was no way I could get my money back. The representative also added in, “Well at least we didn’t report your name to other banks that would prevent you from joining anywhere anymore.” So now I’m being branded as a criminal?! For a check that I didn’t even know was fraudulent?! Thanks for nothing BBVA Compass. You are a piece of garbage as a company and a poor excuse for a bank.

Original review: July 1, 2019

This bank has caused nothing but depression and grief. The customer service is horrible. Every time I go in the bank, I'm treated like a criminal, they always no more than 2 reps each bank. Now I have tolerated a lot from this bank but the last straw was when they charged me $75 just to transfer my own money to my own bank account. I'm going to cancel my account as soon as I can get off work.

Compass Bank Company Information