1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

350 Compass Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I received a letter that I was pre-authorized for a credit card with a 13 month 0% APR. I applied for the card over the phone. The person helping me verified my pre-authorization over the phone and then submitted the application. At the conclusion, he confirmed I was approved for a 10K credit line and an APR of 17.49% after 13 months of a 0% APR. However, when I received the credit card in the mail, the letter stated that I had a 2K credit line and an APR of 27.49% APR after a 13-month introductory offer of 0%. This is incredibly different. When I called to dispute the discrepancy, I was shuffled between low-level support associates who would put me on hold and talk to a manager but would not let me speak to one directly.

Then, they said the amount given and APR were correct. I've escalated this situation several times. I finally reached a manager who confirmed that he wrote in the notes that I should just accept the APR given and stated that it was a "mistake", one that he meant to put on another account. I was finally escalated to another manager. She told me that she reviewed the recorded application process and can confirm that I was authorized 10K and 17.49% APR, but that the employee made a mistake (how could he, he did the application line through their system) and they will talk to him about it. She also said that the underwriter reviewed my situation and CHANGED IT, to the current offer given.

I asked on what basis was the change made and she kept saying "we're going to talk to the employee". I said, the underwriter is the one who changed it, clearly it wasn't an employee error; on what basis did he make the change? She then said "I can't tell you that". When I asked to be escalated to corporate for complaints, she said she works in corporate and I cannot be escalated further. When I asked for the name of the CEO, she provided a fake name "Onur Denc" - I made her spell it. When I did my own research online I found it was Javier Rodriguez Soler, someone who was named in January 2019 not February 2019 when we had the call. I have never been treated so poorly. This is a terrible organization. DO NOT bank here or accept their credit card offers.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I don't know who you are, I never made an account with you and never will. You STOLE money from my savings account yesterday through an ACH transfer, and caused me to investigate your company and file a dispute with my bank. You do not have authorization to pull money from my accounts at another bank. I called you this morning at 10:08 AM ET. Listen to the call recording and call me back. You have 10 days to RETURN MY MONEY before the investigation finalizes.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I recently got a credit card through compass because it offered a 0% interest rate for 12 months and had a large purchase to make. When I went to use the card for the first time on this high, it would not go through. It kept saying chip error etc. Remembering that the promotion also offered a 0% transfer fee, I decided to use my Chase credit card to complete the transaction (which had zero problems letting me complete the transaction). I then called Compass to ask if there was a problem with my card because for some reason it would not going through. They informed me that even though I had a $15,000 credit limit, I was not able to use more than $5000 a day. When I explained to them this made zero sense, and prevented me from using my card for the reason I acquired it for, their answer was simply, "this was done to protect you".

The next day I went to transfer my purchase onto this card, and was told I would be charged a 4% fee for transferring the balance. I got the complete run around when speaking to customer service about this, again with excuses how this was not their fault. So I decided to go work with my local Compass bank manager, where I have been an account holder with high balances for 16 years. After again explaining my situation, they "escalated" it to a district level where their review remained the same, this was not their fault. Unbelievable how poorly and short sighted they treat their current customer base. I will be closing down all of my accounts with them due to this and going to Chase.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The website bill pay page was down for a week. Error message on site said, "Unavailable call customer service." Message on phone said customer service unavailable for over 4 days. After 4 days and holding for almost an hour get someone who doesn't speak English and can't solve problem, gets frustrated and hangs up. They want to go into the account. Unacceptable when the problem is not the checking account. They could not even find my phone number and I've had the account for 20 years. VERY VERY rude and unacceptable behavior. Cannot make loan payments online because THEIR tech support cannot find out why THEIR site is having issues.

They just want to go into my checking account. That has nothing to do with it. Unable to get a supervisor or CS in the states. I've never liked this bank and stopped using their CC because of questionable info about them (name, location when went BBVA) but now it's worse. Try USAA or Vystar. Stay away from Compass. I can't even pay my loan payment because their website isn't working correctly but they refuse to investigate it without a lot of detailed personal info. Not cool... Not needed. Never dealt with a company like this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

When I got my loan with BBVA Compass, I set up recurring payments so the amount I owe each month comes out of my bank account automatically. The first 3 months went fine. The amount came out as it should. Then, last month the payment came out of my account twice! It's almost $400 and I didn't budget for that. I called them and my personal bank and it was corrected pretty quickly. This month it happened again! And this time it isn't being corrected quickly at all! They said I must have gone online and made an extra payment (I did not). Now they are saying they need to investigate and it could be 10 business days before I'm credited! I sent them a copy of my bank statement showing the amount came out twice (which they requested). I had to go into my account and remove my recurring payment and my bank info so it doesn't happen again. This is getting old and I'm regretting getting a loan from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Compass Bank?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Bank decided to close my business credit card without notice. Found out nearly two weeks after they closed it when trying to buy supplies for my company and the transaction was declined. Horrible bank, rude employees, shady business practices. Avoid this bank at all costs!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

BBVA Compass online bill pay... They sent my payment to another place. I closed my account but I got a return your money check. BBVA won't do nothing and owes me. And won't say if I can take this to company I owe... I'm tired of BBVA and their games.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

This bank is the #1 worst bank I’ve ever had. The employees don’t even know what to do. They charge me an overdraft fee every month because they show my available balance obviously wrong all the time because I have a positive amount and make a charge less than what that says and it goes negative. So I add money and they still charge you saying it went negative at 5:05 and you added money at 7:13 like wtf are you kidding. It was your dumb system that ** up in the first place. I’m done.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Received payoff amount in the mail and called Compass to give us the exact address to mail it to. They never told us that we need a new payoff amount. Found out a couple of weeks later that the payoff amount was not correct and that interest was still accruing. They told us that we still owe $337.50 and interest is added on daily. They wouldn't even talk to us to see if there are any options to assist us. We sent them a check by phone to clear this up, but we feel that they put us between the rock and the hard place because if we didn't send the check the same day then each day would increase the amount owed. We would be paying interest forever.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Wish I could rate them a 0. Absolutely terrible bank: (1) Lack of care for customers - there was an issue with my mom's account due to incorrect charges from a merchant. They never alerted her and instead made tons from charging her overdraft fees and interest. My mom goes into the same branch every 2 weeks for "personal service" yet none of those idiot representatives who know her by name alerted her to any issues with her account. When I called them out on this, their response was "I just work here" and immediately try to sell her another product.

(2) Sub-par account products - they charge to mail paper statements to customers and limit the number of withdrawals you can make from a money market or checking account. What kind of bank does this, especially when one holds a large volume of funds with them??? If you are an older person who is not Internet savvy, how are you supposed to actively monitor your account??? (See statement 1 above.)

(3) Outdated practices compared to other banks - another issue was thousands were stolen from my money market account and they had no mechanism in place to proactively monitor the account or alert me to fraud even though the transactions were outside my usual pattern. Had to speak to three different departments to dispute the issue and waste an hour of my time. Resolution pending. How is this bank still allowed to operate? Check their online reviews - none are higher than 3.5/5 stars and most are 1-2 out of 5 stars. This bank is overdue for a class action lawsuit. Save yourself a world of headaches and sign up with a different bank.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Before doing business with this bank think twice! Specially if you are from other nationalities because you will be subject to stereotypes and profiling. I work for a well known company in US as a designer, with a good reputation. I have worked hard for seven years to build up a good credit for myself and I have bank account in other banks.

The bankers of BBVA come to our company once in a while to advertise their bank and ind new customers. They came and talked and advertised so I opened an account with them and asked our HR to deposit my paychecks in the account. At the time of opening of the account I was a legal permanent resident and a few months later a US citizen. I provided all necessary documents for them and everything seemed alright. After couple of month I changed my payroll deposit account to my previous bank but didn't close the account and left 7000$ in m account.

I was surprised when I receive an email after almost a year that bank has closed my account. When I called them the didn't explain why they did that. No explanation, no reason nothing at all. After going back and for to the branch and calling the customer care for several times they issued me a check and still were not wiling to give me an answer why my account had to be closed!!

In a letter that later they sent to me it says: "The account is being closed and will not be renewed." I don't care if I don't have account with this bank, but it's important for me to be treated respectfully. I have been treated like I am a kind of criminal or have done something wrong or illegal using my account. This hurts my feelings and may hurt my credit that I have been working hard for it. NEVER EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK AGAIN and advise you not to do so.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

So I paid my cellphone bill on 12/07/2018. The bill payment wasn't taken out of my bank on 12/14/2018 causing 300 dollars in overdraft fees! I called on 12/18/2018 and spoke to a representative who stated that I needed to dispute the charge with my cellular provider which I did... So, my cellular provider stated that the date that the charge was taken out was due to a banking error on the part of BBVA and that I need to contact them back! This is crazy, and fraud because BBVA is still claiming that the error is on the behalf of the cellular provider and that they would need to refund the payment. Now, I monitor my account multiple times per day and the funds were never returned to the account nor will they admit responsibility for basically robbing me blind! This is not the first time that these allegations were brought against the company and I do intend to sue to the fullest extent of the law!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Employee advised me that BBVA Compass guarantees that they have the lowest home equity line of credit rates in the state. I was promised that I would get a 5.75% rate as long as my credit was higher than 740, AND I would qualify for an addition 2.5% off the original rate once the following things were done: Open checking account = -1.25%. Pull out $50,000 of the credit total and leave out for 3 months = -1%. Employee would give me a manual relationship promo = -.25%. Being conditioned to think I am getting a 3.25% rate, I was ready to sign up for the line of credit. The employee sent me a list of items (taxes, paystubs, mortgage, insurance, etc) that I needed to submit along with my application to ensure everything went to plan. I submitted all required documents and signed paperwork on 12/4/18 to allow BBVA Compass to start the HELOC process. I opened the checking account in person on 12/5/18 and deposited $100.

On 12/7/18 I received an email from a processor requesting that I sign a borrower's authorization for a home equity line of credit at 7.45% and requesting some of the items that I had already submitted to the employee. I replied all to the email and told them that this is different from what I was promised and do not want to move forward.

On Monday 12/10/18 I went into the branch and spoke with employee that offered me the line of credit to get an explanation. She said that she saw the email and was not sure why things changed from what we agreed on. She advised that she does not have control of what company is willing to offer me, but can email for clarification. We agreed that she would email and let me know. On 12/11/18 I sent an email to the processor asking for a solution. No response from anyone at BBVA Compass since 12/7/18. My credit took a inquiry hit, home values went lower, and I wasted time getting forms/opening accounts/transferring money. BAIT & SWITCH, then zero effort to FIX the issue. This is unacceptable!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Had a credit card with BBVA for about 2 years to build my credit. The whole experience has been a nightmare. Their pay online website kept always going down and changing my info so I spent hours and hours over time having to re straighten everything out. After paying off my card months ago apparently they didn’t take full payment and failed to notice me. Dropping my credit score 159 points overnight. Yes overnight! Called their credit department to get it handled but their system so screwed up they have a hard time finding my info giving me grief.

I have been promised it will be fix, I have been told they can’t fix credit mistakes, I have been told not their problem, and I have been hung up on number of times. Found a guy at the branch to look into my case and found out they can fix it but refused to and reason I was failed to be notified is their system lost my home address and replaced with a random P.O. Box. Screwing me to close on my new $380k home build. Current Status; Hired an attorney to look into my case and see if I have proper grounds for a lawsuit for damages.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Beware: This bank requires you to go to a branch in person to close a CD. CD auto renew without promotion rate. I was getting 0.1% interest after the first year. Charges 2% off your balance if you close your CD before it matures. Horrible horrible bank. They are out to screw you purposely. When I want to withdraw the money from my CD I was told I can’t do it online even though I opened the CD online. They told me I had to go to a local branch. I am in Southern California. They only have one branch here and it's 30 minutes away from my house.

When I got to the branch, they told me there will be a fee since my CD is not mature yet. I knew the CD is not mature yet but I assume the worst case is I paid them back the interest rate I earned during this year. But No! They told me to close my CD. They will charge me $3000 on a $100,000 CD!!! Because they charge 2% off your total balance. I was also told that I have been getting 0.1% interest rate for the past two years because the CD auto renew to their base rate. WTF. Stay away from this bank. Go to Synchrony Bank instead. I earned $2000 more in interest, I can close it over the phone, and they only charged me $60 compared to $3000 fee.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

With $200 in primary checking account the bank bounced a $2.00 payment. With $600 in primary checking account this bank bounced $198.00 and $224.00. To add insult to injury this bank charged me the return fees. What the heck is really going on. Is this an institution set up to destroy customers financially. I had to close my primary checking account after the customer service rep kept saying "I see no record of these transactions" however I'm being charged. What the hell. After closing this account I immediately went to Western Union to pay my car note that they bounced 3 times.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I took out an automobile loan with Compass just over a year ago. Recently, I refinanced this loan with USAA. USAA sent the payoff check on November 15th. This payoff was actually $927 over the payoff amount. The same day, my personal check payment of $580 was cashed by them, resulting in a $1507 overpayment. I called, and verified with one of their representatives that the overpayments were made, and was assured that I would receive a refund within 10 days. Fast forward to Dec. 7th, still no refund check. I called one of their representatives again, and was assured that the loan had been closed, but that the check wouldn't be processed until Dec. 11th. No reason was given, so I asked to speak with a supervisor.

While on hold, the line went dead. I called back and spoke with a different representative, and asked again to speak with a supervisor. I spoke with a gentleman named Santiago **. He told me that this loan had not been closed until Nov. 20th, and that the refund check wouldn't even be cut until Dec. 11th. I explained that it had been 3 weeks, and that this refund was supposed to have been refunded within 10 days. His explanation was the 10 days meant 10 "working days". My calculations show that date to be Dec. 4th, if that had actually received the payoff on Nov. 20th.

He then, rather rudely, told me that that was how it was going to be processed, period. No further discussion. This has to be the most rude customer service experience that I have had in 30 years. I will never do business with this company again, and would strongly discourage others. I have signed notification showing that they received their payoff on Nov. 15th, and that my personal check cleared that same day. They have now had this money for 3 weeks, and offer absolutely no apologies. All in all, a terrible experience.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have spent many hours trying to contact BBVA credit card just to make a payment. They have a phone system that hangs up on you if you are on hold too long, so try having them call you back. Not once in about 10 tries did they call me back. The only time I can contact them is when my payment is late and then I can get the collections department in just a couple of rings.

I finally got an online account to pay my cc bill with, which I was able to do once. The next time I tried they wanted me to confirm connection to my payment bank via a text message - I don't have that technology. So, I left a message through online banking about this. However, I am locked out of online banking! I can't even send them a another message. So now I seem to have no choice but to pay their collections department again. By the way, since I was late paying a couple of times they reduced my credit limit, not to mention the late charges. Seems like a racket to get more money out of customers. Starting to think of contacting a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I got paid 5 days ago through direct deposit. After calling and waiting days I still have yet to receive my money! This is sad. I'm sure you all pay your employees on their payday. I got paid two days before Thanksgiving. It's the Sunday after and I still have no money. I don't know how you are even still in business.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Adp shows my check deposited 2 days prior but for some reason it don't post on the bank end until the afternoon of Friday. So Friday morning all my auto pay items are denied!!! The privilege pay SUCKS as well. Any other bank I been affiliated with will let me overdraft up to 1000 bucks. This bank refused me at the pump for 15.00 bucks. So I'm stranded on my way to work in uniform on A Friday. All because their Institution is crappy. Btw I used a check for gas that Mon. I received a NSF and return check fee. RIP BBVA. I'm done. Fri. 2 am present funds not in account. My fam & friends out shopping. I work every day looking broke. Thanks but no thanks sis. I don't wanna borrow from you 1400. I can't access until around Noon today.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Four months ago a fraudulent charge was placed on my credit card. I notified Compass Bank immediately and was told they would take care of it, that I would not be charged late fees or interest until it was investigated. The following month the charge was still on my account, which is a violation of Federal Trade Commission regulations. I called them again and was given the same song and dance, with the added information that they had 90 days to take care of it. The following month the charge was still on my account so I wrote them a letter, to which I received no reply. I also began getting collection letters and have been getting them regularly now with escalating threats of action against me. I called them one more time, but nothing changes.

I have finally filed a complaint with both the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission. There was nothing left for me to do since they absolutely would do nothing. I had even called the company that charged my account in June, and they claim they never made the charge! I notified BBVA of that as well, but they don't care. Maybe they will sit up and take notice when they hear from the Federal Trade Commission. They are required by law to remove the disputed transaction until it has been investigated.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I've tried logging-on my compass credit card to pay balance of $40.00, their annual fee (btw, my credit score was 837 before this incident. So, why are they charging me?). Tried and tried over several weeks, wouldn't accept my username or password. So, I called several times, listened to music, hung-up on me, bounced around. Finally somebody from Columbia, South America took my call. I was explaining problem of inaccessibility to my account to pay but call was hung-up. I called again, and again, Columbia, South America, different person... I explained problem, he waived $10 late fee but I told him to cancel my account. That I wanted OUT!!!

Nevertheless, several days later I drove to town, and then another looking for a Compass bank. I again explained my problem, unable to logon. He apologized, admitted he'd heard many complaints, but finally waived the annual fee then I asked him to cancel my account and cut my credit card in-half, which he did. Does anybody think "Problem Solved"! Several days later I get a nasty letter from, you guessed, compass credit. That they're canceling my account and downgrading my credit to 744.

Now, it's taken years to build credit to 837 by being disciplined but to lose 93 credit points overnight to 744?, and I haven't used that card account in years. So, I called Compass credit that evening, customer, dis-service told me he couldn't verify me as owner of account despite my giving him my SS, DOB, address (hello fraud?) and that I'd have to go in-person to a bank. This whole thing us about $40 to $50 that has consumed days and days and driving, more driving, "Pulling my Hair"!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have several credit cards, and sadly BBVA is the worst of them all. They promise rewards, but when you try to claim them, the website it down, and no one answers the phone for Compass rewards. I tried 3 times, waiting 15 minutes, then the line disconnected every time. So, that means my rewards are no available to me. That is fraud. Sounds like Wells Fargo.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK... Before my dad passed away, he used this bank and was in there every single week complaining about them. His information was compromised and he had to close his account and open a new one. My sister was listed as the beneficiary on the first one and they were supposed to set up the new one the exact same. My dad thought it was set up the same. Well when he passed, they opened the new account and didn't move over the beneficiary to the new account. This caused a delay in having access to his account to pay his bills.

I went in to pay his mortgage and his home equity loan and they were unable to provide a receipt for either of those. The manager took my money and gave me a handwritten note - which was acceptable, and given he asked for a different amount than what I paid for the previous month. On every single instance that we had to have in contact with the bank has been mind boggling. They couldn't get anything straight. We went to sell my father's home and they failed to send the paperwork over to the title company for our closing and good thing we caught it before closing day. They did not receive something they needed so they ignored the request. They couldn't pick up the phone and let anyone know.

Fast forward, the house has been sold for months now, and ironically we get a bill from the bank stating that there is an amount still due on the mortgage account that was paid off. This bank can't seem to get their ** together. I would hope that after I contact the FCC they shut this bank down. In wanting to leave a review about them, I found a ton of complaints just like this. I am not sure how they can still reel in customers with such a poor customer service. They hire people that don't know what they are doing and don't have experience doing banking.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Opened an account with them after moving to a new area of town and starting at a new school as a HS teacher. They froze my account one week later WITHOUT notifying me. Direct deposit went in but I had no access to it. Was planning on using my first deposit to buy classroom supplies over the weekend. Finally got ahold of someone on Monday. Had to take a half a day off of work during the beginning of school year so I could physically go to a branch and try and get to the bottom of it.

So they released the hold and admitted that it was their fault but told me I had to bring receipts to the ORIGINAL branch where I opened it... for all of my bounced utility payments etc. before they would reimburse anything. Then I get compounded fees every 15 days now for a negative 150 dollar balance. It’s now over 200.00 even though I haven’t used this account since. Seems to be a common theme with other customers as well. I will be closing this account with them. They are obviously looking to exploit and freezing accounts on a whim and without reason so they can collect fees.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Credit Card customer service is the WORST at BBVA. I was on hold for TWO HOURS trying to resolve a fraudulent charge which I reported the day after it happened... yet, SURPRISE... BBVA doesn't have record of me calling and reporting it. So they expect ME to make a payment on someone else's purchases? RIGHT. As soon as this is resolved, I'm closing this account. Consumer BEWARE, DON'T trust these people with your credit cards, Discover and Capital One resolved it in 9 minutes. It takes 2 hours with BBVA. Plus, rude individuals who decide to hang up on you... yeah, that happened FOUR TIMES.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

BBVA is a total rip off. A few months ago I put overdraft on my account in order to take 40 dollars and they charged me 212 for using my debit card to get the 40 dollars. I reluctantly paid the fee and brought my account back to positive. Just 2 days ago I called the bank to see why my account was $4 overdrawn and they told me it was because a $36 from a restaurant that I went to last Friday. Mind you that was exactly one week ago today. Then I call back today and now my account is $80 overdrawn even though I have never used my card since before I spoke with them. They are charging people twice for the same charge and I refuse to pay it anymore. Please email me if you have had similar experiences. I would love to speak to an attorney about our options. This is Wells Fargo all over again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

These idiots reworked their website, and now require you to give them a cell phone number so you can access their website just to pay your monthly bill. THE IDIOTS DON'T REALIZE THAT EVEN IF YOU ARE SUBMITTING A REQUEST TO CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER, THAT YOUR ACCESS CODE IS BEING SENT TO YOUR OLD PHONE NUMBER EVEN IF IT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE! Months later, they still haven't fixed the problem--surely because they make more off of you in interest since they can only take a $1000 maximum payment over the phone. COMPLETE THIEVERY--COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE. Cancel your card if you have one. Don't open an account if you're thinking about it!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Worst credit card company in the country. They offer a 0% interest rate credit card for a few months, like many other credit card companies. But, until you sign up, you don't realize that they don't accept electronic payments. If you pay your credit card bill online, they force your bank to print an actual check and mail it. On top of that, their "system" takes a full week to "process" this check after it comes in the mail. This means that your payment is always late. Once it is even a few days late (mine was 3 days), they immediately close your account and report your card as "closed by company due to late payment" on your credit report. They refused to work with the BBB system to address this, saying that it's in the Terms and Conditions that they have the right to close the account, and so too bad for you.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Imagine getting a check deposited to your account on the 11th and here it is on the 17th and you have no access to your account. BBVA froze my account because it seemed “fraudulent”. I'm unable to do ANYTHING and they’re advising that they probably won’t have it cleared until after 10 days!!! And they refuse to even release it back to the business that issued the check. I’m assuming a ** woman isn’t allowed to have that kind of money without bankers having an attitude or treating you like a damn criminal.

Compass Bank Company Information