Vector Marketing

Cutco and Vector Marketing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Cutco and Vector Marketing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cutco and Vector Marketing?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vector Marketing?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

If you already bought these knives, be very careful using them because they can be extremely dangerous. If you haven't bought them yet, I advise you not to. They can cost you a lot more than the dollar amount of the knives. You can cut yourself and not realize it until you see your blood flowing. Additionally, if you have the bad luck of having the knife slip from your hand, it can cost you major injuries like cut tendons and nerves. These injuries require surgery and a lot recuperation time. The paring knife, although small is (upon coming out of the factory) as sharp as a scalpel. That sharpness is unnecessary for cutting small fruits and veggies as it is intended for. My adult daughter suffered an injury that cut three tendons and her nerve because of that knife.

Original review: March 2, 2016

One of the great selling features of Cutco knives is that they will sharpen them free of charge. Good luck with that! I called the 1-800 number and was given the name of a representative near me. I left him numerous messages to no avail. He never returned any of my calls. Then at a local flea market, two Cutco representatives had a booth. I told them about my experience and they apologized profusely for their co-worker. One of the representatives promised that he would come out personally and sharpen my knives. We set up an appointment and he gave me his phone number. The day of the appointment I called him 2x to confirm that he was coming. He never answered my calls nor did he show up for the appointment. What a hassle! I do not recommend buying their products, especially if you are buying them for the free knife sharpening.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

I placed an order through Vector to buy my wife a Cutco knife for Christmas. I did speak with one rep last week who was great, but that has been the only positive experience with these guys. But my guess is that Vector processed my original order to Cutco incorrectly (forgot to list I wanted it engraved). And now, instead of just admitting their likely mistake (which happens and I would have totally understood, especially around the Holidays), are instead trying to make me feel as if I am somehow to blame. Or at least I feel I am being guilt tripped for not being more appreciative of their efforts outlined below. Whoever is to blame (Vector or Cutco), their approach is a poor way to run a customer oriented business.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Bought 10 sets of knives to give to customers as closing gifts after being pitched that these knives came with annual sharpening of not just Cutco products but all knives in my customer's homes. Wow, sounds fantastic and what a great way to stay in front of our customers, right? Wrong. What I ended up with was happy clients up front and disappointed ones a year later. Figure out who your sales rep is, there's the first step. Good luck, got the complete run around and very unprofessional responses from the so called "reps". See if you can get a representative to actually show up and sharpen knives, there's the second step. Constantly left my clients hanging, didn't return calls or emails. Awful customer service. Won't be buying any more Cutco. Good product but your local customer service isn't worth the frustration.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

Well, a friend of mine had referred me to this company. And when I was trying to apply for another job, I had no idea I was signing up for Vector. But every time they had called me and I told them I wasn't interested, they were so quick to hang up on my face. I just wasn't interested in working with them. Same for my fiance. When he got a call from them, he simply told the woman he wasn't looking for a job and without saying a word, she hung up on him. To me, that's truly disrespectful. If they're upset because no one works with them as much, then maybe they should think about their display of attitude.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

I had been looking for a job for about 8 mos. and had tried different places online and in the mall, etc. One day as me, my sister and my mom were driving down the street, my sister was stopped at a red light and on the side of the road she saw a sign that said student work and told me to take down the number. I did and called them the next day. Nobody answered and so I left a message and they didn't return my call so I called them again and got someone finally and told them that me and my sister had seen their sign on the side of the road.

They immediately set me for an interview in that same week! Well when I get there, first of all it's like in the back of all these other buildings and was kind of difficult to find. I finally get in and a woman who looks very young comes out. First of all it was deserted in there and when the woman came out she looked so young that I thought she was at least in her early twenties. Anyway she told me to fill out an application and then that she would see me soon. I got into the interview and she hired me on the spot and said training was that same day which was weird. Anyway I didn't think much about it so I stayed for training which I found out when I got the brochure that it would be unpaid.

Now that should have been the first red flag but no I was excited and everything because in training they made it seem like selling would be so easy. Then I found out that we had to start doing demos which was working with the knives by cutting up food and pennies and such and we had to do it that first weekend only after 3 days of unpaid training. They called this a fast start and I thought I could do it but I only know mostly church people and they were usually busy. They wanted us to get MAC customers first (Acronym for Married age 30+ and casa meaning home), MACK - Married, age (30+), casa (home) with kids would be a bonus.

Anyhow they wanted us to get the couples together at the same time which was hard because they had different work schedules. Plus by me not having a car, I couldn't do in home presentations because I couldn't get to people's houses so I had to do what you call virtual demos. This is when you have the couples sit down and watch a 13 min video on Cutco knives and they're success stories and they told them prices on 3 different sets.

Well most of the people said that they were too expensive and could not afford them and I agreed. They were too expensive, so expensive that they had to have 5, 3, 2 month payment plans. Now I've never heard payment plans on knives. That should have been another red flag but I kept on trying to sell the knives but nobody wanted them so I talked to my manager and she told me that I should be selling something. I told her that my people said they were too expensive and she had nothing to say to that.

So another thing I was getting stressed out somewhat because we had to have a minimum of 6 appointments in that first weekend and all I had was 4 set up which all four did not go well. So in the end her manager told her that if I was not using the kit and not selling anything then I should return the kit and then they were going to fire me. My manager claimed she stood up for me and told him no. I told her I appreciated her for standing up for me and having faith that I could do it but that I agreed with her manager. I didn't think the job was for me and that I could not do it with the people that I knew. Now I turned in the kit that next day and told her to keep in touch with whether I will get paid or not. She said ok but never called me or answered my calls when I called her.

She claimed she been at a conference all of that time but I think she was avoiding me. So it all came down to that they was not going to pay me the base pay because they said that only 2 on my list of appointments verified and one in house demo didn't last for 45 min like it was suppose to. I told them I did all virtual demos and only showed the knives to a customer but didn't cut anything because I felt I was going to hurt myself with the knives, they were so sharp. I had already hurt myself with the shears trying to practice cutting that darn penny. Well I had 5 appointments and couldn't get paid for none of them. They are scamming people and they don't wanna pay people, they look up excuses not to pay people which is unfair. I would not recommend anybody to work for them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

I seem to be yet another who has dealt with Vector Marketing, and Cutco in general. I will admit this was about 5 years ago, so my exact memory of the events is a bit sketchy, but what I do remember is disturbingly close to the other negative reviews. First, I will preface I am not a salesman, I do not have the personality for it, and in general, I'm relatively withdrawn and not particularly forceful, so this would never have been a job for me. I freed admit that, and want to be completely honest. However, I think in the end, this will be irrelevant to the overall story.

Like others, it was during Summer, I had just recently moved to a larger area close to St. Louis to attend a School there, and naturally was looking for a job to help deal with the outrageous tuition rates that particular school had, which was DeVry, which is a complaint for another time. Not having held a job before, particular in a time when the purse strings of businesses were a bit tight, finding a job, even menial Fast Food was not particular easy. I would apply to everything, as well as setting up some online resumes for additional job searching, being a recent graduate from a junior college. After setting up a Monster, or similar type Resume, I remember getting a call from this Vector Marketing, which I hadn't applied for, apparently just putting up my resume put me on their radar.

They wanted me to come in for an interview, and frankly, this was basically the first time anyone had called me in for an interview, so I jumped at it. I also thought I recognized the name, and realized that I had gotten a letter from this place a few years back when I lived back at home right after high school, only this location coming from Evansville, Indiana. This didn't really register me as being anything wrong, and I did ask a few people about it, and none of them knew much about it.

Thankfully, this place was pretty close to where I lived, so I didn't have to drive too far, which was good. When I did get there, it was in a nondescript building, as usual, no markings, maybe a Vector Marketing in the overhead Sign by the road, where a bunch of small businesses were bunched together, but I can't really remember, and honestly, at the time, I didn't particularly care. Going in, there was a receptionist, who had me wait in a large room, essentially, where some music was playing, and a whole bunch of chairs. It didn't strike me as being super trashy or anything, in fact there were a good number of windows, so it was well lit. I was also about the only one there, maybe one other guy, but I don't particularly remember there being any other people for the interview.

When I did go in for it, I don't really know where the average 19-year old age rating for the manager comes from. Maybe mine was an anomaly, but he definitely looked older than me, and I was 20 at the time. I would have guessed at the least 27 or so, though maybe it was deceiving. All I do know is that whatever passed for an interview occurred, there wasn't anything particularly hard about it, and he actually offered the job right then and there, no having to sit out, just if I wanted it, shook my hand, and there you go. I've had interviews since then. Seriously, this overall process was rather suspect, but I honestly couldn't have truly known it at the time. And frankly, I also didn't really know what the job really was. As I never filled out an application, but was contacted due to my online resume, I was probably told there was selling of some kind going on, but nothing specific.

Then there was the training. I am pretty sure I didn't think much of it that the training was unpaid, because, as before, I didn't have a real job before this time. I couldn't have really known what it was all like, though when I mentioned it to my Cousin, who I was renting a place with. As we were both attending school, he thought it was weird, and would later confide in me what I found out myself. As for the 'training' itself, the room was completely full, all of us sitting around as they went over a presentation, having videos play, which were projected on the wall, and there was some back and forth with a nearby person about testing out the whole demo process. They also paraded around success stories of people having worked there, all the money they made, get you really excited. Though, for me, having also never decided to check out anything in the meantime, this was all starting to be a giant red flag.

As, at this place, the manager was nice, it was a nice enough, if strangely basic location, nothing seemed 'wrong.' But, and I swear this is true, one of the success stories... I don't remember the specifics, but there were... words said about her that suggested that she had some kind of handicap of some kind. And then it was said along the lines of "And if she can do it, YOU can do it!" Which... This is all kinds of offensive. And uncomfortable. The fact it became clear it was a full on sales job was also becoming something that was making me heavily unsure, as I knew at the time I probably wouldn't be good at that in the first place, though the big bomb hadn't been dropped yet. The next day, there was more demoing going on, and showing us the kits. And yeah, that's when it was revealed you would have to buy, or at the least "rent" a sales kit. What?

No, seriously. Come on. That is a giant red flag. I may not have had a job before, but let's put this in perspective, as talking with my cousin later, became all too clear. You are being trained for a job, but you are not being paid for this. I've held several jobs since this point. And guess what. ALL of them have had paid training. Because, you know, you are learning how to do your job, and you are paid for your time. Because it is a function of the job. This is basic, this is 101. And then, to get the job, you basically have to pay in order to work there. What. Logic. Is that?

I am trying to get a job because I don't have money, and you know, I need money. So, to get a job, to get money, you already have to have money, and pay them. This is even worse than the conundrum of needing experience to get a job, because at least there are still entry level jobs out there, if tough to get. Oh, just borrow the money from someone else, get a credit card, blah blah, No. You shouldn't have to borrow money to get a job you already seeming have. That is dumb. It only works because you have promises of money from all the demos and knife selling you will do, but for me, this was already something that, I couldn't do this because I couldn't front the entry cost. But, the actual business practice was revealed shortly after that sealed it.

Because, I knew it was a sales job at that point, but you'd think there is something to kind of get your foot in the door, references, places to go to sell. But here we are, supposed to provide our own clients, people we know, and try and get them to buy knives, not to mention the criteria of being 30+, Female, which is oddly specific, and owning a home. I don't know almost anyone who fits that criteria, particularly the last one.

Seriously, everyone who is super successful at this, how do you know that many people? Because that was going to make it impossible, I generally have been mostly a recluse, so I mostly had family and little else. And they were wanting at least 15 people or so to call, and that simply was not an option. And out of the people I did know who could fit it, I only had one Aunt who was both Close enough to where this was to even visit, and also maybe even buy something. I knew my parents didn't have the money for this crap, and I sure as hell wasn't going to drive 2 and a half hours for that. On top of that, I had just moved, so I didn't know anyone in the area, and meeting people has never been my strongest point, so basically, this job was impossible.

You could say maybe I wasn't driven enough, I am unmotivated and lazy, but 1. I didn't have the money to even start the job because I didn't have any money from not having a job. What money I did have, as kind of a starter, was for essentials until I could get a job, so dropping 200 of it on this is stupid. And 2. I don't know how you simply just meet people, not to mention in this stupidly specific criteria. This insanely, moronic specific criteria. Just ask people if they own a house and are over 30? Call them at random? And there was never any indication this would be helped with. It was pushed you had to build references from people you knew, and guess what, they were mostly in the same boat. My family doesn't have a huge wide social network. Never has. That's not something you can just fix in a few days, that is not worth it.

After I left that day, I knew I wasn't going to do this. I couldn't, I didn't have even 15 names to even use for this list, let alone that actually fit their criteria, not to mention all the other misgivings. I called and told them I wasn't coming to the next training day, which prompted them to try and reschedule it, but then I made it clear I wasn't coming back and was 'quitting' which seemed to confuse them, and then they promptly hung up. Never heard another thing from them.

Either way, I will admit, this was a good learning experience. Taught me how to recognize a sketchy situation first hand, and at the least, how to conduct myself in an interview, which I have never really had before, even if it was probably a canned interview. My aforementioned Cousin later said he had done some reading during these few days, and had caught wind of the less than glorious things floating around about this place, though he didn't just want to tell me it was a scam, or at least, scam-like, because I might have reacted badly to it, as this was the first job opportunity I ever had.

Admittedly, using Scam might be too strong a word for me... But I would probably use it anyways. They don't pay you for your initial time, whatsoever, even though you are technically "hired" and "training" and then expect you to pay money to start. I've seen others claim they lend those out now, and maybe they do, or maybe it's a case by case basis. Which frankly is still crap, because that implies there is a whole lot of these people being left to their own devices for their rules, which probably isn't a great rule for a big business.

At the least, I think I would have been "okay" with it not being paid for training if they at least gave out the knives as compensation. But they didn't do that. In fact, it might be a way of weeding out those not willing or unable to pay that out, as they probably wouldn't be able to make them money in the first place. Fair enough, and I couldn't. But, that also saved me wasting money and time on a job that was going to go nowhere, because my personal life and connections probably really shouldn't have anything to do with my ability to do a job. And guess what. It hasn't since, every job I've had since, I do everything there, everything I have to do is there, I got paid for my time, my training, and I went home.

The fact I didn't know 50 30 year old housewives, or 10 who knew 10 more each doesn't factor in whatsoever. I suppose if you do, you could probably make a good deal of money, but that is such a narrow window, it is not even worth entertaining. Also worth noting writing this, I double checked that location to see if that particular branch was still there. Nope, no sign of anything about them Google maps, only a few locations over in St. Louis, so it is completely gone at 5 years, and who knows how long it was even there? Just saying.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

My name is Devon **. So I heard about Vector Marketing through recommendations and friends who thought the company they were working for was legitimate. So I spoke to a representative about what I had heard through my friend Cavan, who will talk more about his experience in a bit. I go into the interview, and the first thing the Assistant Manager says is "You are not here because we want to get money". This was a little scary because I knew after hearing that, this company was going to be the opposite. Sure enough, I was correct. During my first day in training, the manager, Mike **, says that we (as employees) are going to be working as hard as we can to make all the money we can get, and goes on talking about how he got his BMW for free for working with this company.

First of all, nothing in the business world is free, and that's what my business friends tell me all the time. Second business day, he asks for me to come in to his office to have me give him my contacts for people that are under the age of 30, but never said why. Eventually, after four hours of leaving training, I am getting calls and texts from my friends, saying that Vector Marketing had contacted them about me personally recommending them for the job. Keep in mind that I don't have a clue about what's going on because they never told me what they were going to do with the numbers... And I contact Vector right away, asking to delete my contacts that I had given them. They said they would, thankfully.

Next problem was every Tuesday, they asked me to come in to some late night meeting. I told them I couldn't make it, but they kept insisting over and over again. I was now worried they were going to come to my house and bag me if I said no, so I went. Second worst thing I have ever done, besides committing to this company. Second to last thing was the fact that they aren't supposed to contact me during my vacation hours. So what happens during the three days of my 7? You probably guessed this while reading... They contacted me, asking me to compete in this weird contest. Right there and then, I blocked all their numbers.

Last complaint was that I had meetings set up within days, yet they start to contact me, asking to return the kit or else I have to pay some fine otherwise. So I waited for my friend to get his situation straight before returning my CUTCO kit. They had a fast start for me and raised over $100, yet couldn't have the courage to tell me how to get my free CUTCO... What a joke of a Company.

And That's not all people. Let's get a round 2. -Cavan **. Ok so I started the company and was recommend by a friend and he told me the company was light and was good business. Well let's skip past the BS of the company and get down to what matters. So when got my first pay the check was for 30 dollars and I was super pissed off. They told they took 75 dollars out of my pay and I could get it back until I sold a certain product.

So then it took complaining and emails to the office to force them to finally pay me which took 3 weeks keep in mind. once I got that check they still didn't pay me the full amount so I sent in my tracker which showed how much money they truly owed me and finally after a month I got my full pay. The company is a job - they are super slimy. Don't join them. For people looking to join, Don't. It is a waste of time and money. I could have bought a car by now if I worked at Safeway. And Devon could have bought a PS4 yet we got screwed over by the lying company. #RIPVector #DONZO

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

Let me tell you my experience with Vector marketing. When I got hired, I was excited to start this new job, our branch manager, made the job sound so exciting and promising. I had so many goals I wanted to reach. Now, you get paid two ways, base pay and commission. I always made more on base pay because most, if not all, the people I made appointments with could not afford to spend over a grand on some knives. One week, I didn't get paid even after I made the calls, I was told that my base pay was not turned in. So I talk to one of the assistant managers, he tells me to cancel all my appointments and to come see him in the office. I come see him in the office, and he completely ignored me that really pissed me off. I have to chase after him, then he basically dismisses me.

So at this point I'm at my wit's end. I'm told by him that everybody else in the office is making over a grand a week, which is complete bs. I don't know anybody that is going to spend over a thousand dollars on some knives, so those people must know wealthy people. Bottom line, the assistant manager's fake, liar, and wolf in sheep's clothing. The branch manager is full of **. They still have not paid me for that week (!!!) even though I worked hard that week. Anyway I really wanted to get this out because they are wrong for what they did.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2015

I answered an ad on CL for a sales job making 15.20 per hour (lie) and received a call the next day about an interview a couple of days later. When I got there there were about 10 other people and was informed to fill out an application and it would be a group interview. I was not thrown off by it because my interview for Kohl's was a group interview, although they told me on the phone that it would be. There were motivational posters all over the wall and pictures of sales people and numbers of how much they sold underneath. I noticed how young they were and almost all of them had college shirts on so I thought I was perfect for it. The guy had us all pull our chairs to his desk and watch a video presentation for like 30 minutes then he asked us questions and did a presentation. He had us cut a rope and a penny with scissors. LOL.

After all of that fun came the suspicious stuff that made me feel uncomfortable. The first thing was the "base pay". He said it was not a base pay at all. It's not $15 per hour, it's $15 per interview. So if you only do 5 interviews a week you only get paid for 5 hours. Also the commission doesn't add to that "base pay" - it accumulates. So if you sell a $20 product (which isn't possible but for example's sake) you don't make $35, you make $20. So you only get 5 dollars more. The three day 8 hour training is unpaid because "colleges pay Cutco to use their training in school and you can even put it on interviews". I wouldn't even do that because everyone I talk to knows about it and would probably laugh that I was scammed. Also, he said "You get a few breaks and need to bring your own food because you can't leave and won't have enough time to leave and get food." (So no 30 minute lunch?)

He also said that the starter kit cost $250 and it's not a loan, but they will let you use one until you make enough sales to pay it off. Okay, sort of like a loan, right? Also, one of the guys was an older gentleman who worked in restaurants for years and asked why they didn't sell to them and the guy was like, "They're too expensive and people would steal them." So the guy asked about chefs and he got upset and basically said it was for residential use only. Then he started explaining the pyramid. You have to find five people to interview. After that they will refer you to five more people and so on and so forth. At that point, I started realizing that Cutco was the Mary Kay of cutlery except that I know many people who would pay for skin care or makeup, but not a lot of people would pay 70 for a pair of penny cutting scissors. Plus he kept insisting that it wasn't a door to door sales job, but they will not pay for travel.

Red Flag, if there hadn't been so many already. He interviews us separately and then said he would call us back to the office to tell us if we got the job. The older guy and an older woman and I started addressing our concerns and how it sounded like a pyramid scam. This girl who I went to high school with was about two years under me and was so excited and tried to explain how we were wrong and I just felt so bad for her because she had graduated that year and was naive. When my interview came up, I lied and told him I didn't have a car (it was in the shop) and that I couldn't get a babysitter for the inconsistent schedule so we agreed that the job wasn't me. I got out of that place so quick.

I was upset when my boyfriend's friend who was with him when he picked me up said he almost got scammed by them. Turns out my sister and my best friend had both went to one of those meeting and opted out. I wish the woman would have told me Cutco because everyone remember that name. I was so embarrassed I didn't do more research on the company first.

Cutco and Vector Marketing Company Information