Call toll free
3.46/5
Based on 538 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

599 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 21, 2018

I purchased laptop. I purchased ADH insurance on a laptop with 30 days of purchase. I received contract from SquareTrade detailing the insurance (usual, us, we, you, third party jargon). I made a claim against the contract. I am being told that my contract is not usable because the laptop was purchased from a different retailer than where the contract was bought. Logically this smells of B.S. Why would this not be detailed (written in the contract that was sent to me to read over)? Why would this not be detailed in my SquareTrade account? This stinks to high heaven! I thought I would share this incident so that others could be aware of pitfalls that are not even viewable when you go over the contract with a fine tooth comb.

Most important, I entered into a contract with SquareTrade. The retailer was just the middle man officiating the marriage of us. It boggles my mind how it now makes a difference in my marriage as to whom the officiant at my wedding was. It feels like it was an opportunity to perform a MJ moonwalk right out of their obligations to me. If the officiant, retailer promoting SquareTrade, would had bundled the product and the warranty I would understand square trade's position. However, allowing the warranty to be purchased individually is misleading to the public and has resulted in devastating circumstances for myself.

SquareTrade: Your contract should have that same retailer for the product and warranty requirement mentioned in your contract somewhere. Anything less than that is misleading. After contacting them, all they want to do is cancel the contract instead of honoring it. Simply SAD. P.S. Please note the screenshot from my contract says "laptop" coverage, not "retailer **" laptop coverage. SquareTrade needs to stop hiding behind it's the other guy's fault mindset and do the right thing. 7/21/18 12:20 am.

Hello Mrs. Pat,

We're sorry to hear there was any difficulty regarding the purchase of this warranty, and to hear you felt there was any intention of misleading our customers. We can assure you this is not the case. Squaretrade policies have various requirements in order for a policy to be valid, and we do our best to provide this information to the customer before the purchasing of the policy. We also provide a 24/7 support center to answer any questions you might have regarding our policies, including inquiries relating to purchase. Our agents are also available to assist with registering your policy and ensuring it's validity.

In this instance your warranty was considered invalid due to the location varying between where the item and warranty where purchased. Warranties for Amazon products may be purchased on Amazon, whereas QVC products must have their warranties provided directly through them. In this instance your item was purchased at QVC but the warranty purchased at Amazon, and unfortunately this would be an invalid method of purchase.

Squaretrade warranties for sale on Amazon.com include a listing of the required conditions for a policy listed beneath the section "Things to Know". The first line of this section states "SquareTrade Protection Plans are only valid for new products purchased at Amazon within the last 30 days."

We again apologize for any misunderstanding and we have refunded the cost of your policy in full.

KM

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 20, 2018

This was my first experience with SquareTrade. I had seen them in plenty of stores so I decided to buy their warranty for a laptop I was purchasing online. It was smooth sailing for a year or so with the laptop until the headphone jack stopped working. But not to worry, I bought a warranty from SquareTrade. They would handle this fine, or so I thought. I called first in March asking for help and resolution, I filed a claim, then got an email two weeks later telling me that I was not covered under such problems.

A rocky start to my journey but I thought I maybe didn't describe my situation well enough. I called and a representative asked me to send pictures of the inside of the headphone jack to diagnose the situation. So I did, I sent in pictures via email to the rep, and got radio silence for almost a month. Finally sometime much later I got an email asking for me to call them. Due to school I had to put off the call for another couple weeks but finally in late June I got on the phone. A rep quickly called me after I filed a new claim and he ran some diagnostics on my pc, settling to have it sent in for repairs. Hallelujah I thought. It had been way easier with this second rep.

So I boxed up my computer and sent in via FedEx, it arrived at SquareTrade late July and by the end of the week it was "fixed". I was excited to get it back the following week as I could use a fully functional PC again. I opened the box and saw the repair label, but all it said was "Operating system reinstalled". I was wary as I had already tried this myself to no avail. But I was still optimistic as the other papers they included told me that they had performed a full check to ensure functionality. I plug in audio jacks to check if this was true, and lo and behold it was still broken. Frustrated and annoyed I called SquareTrade again, and said on the phone what had happened. After around 30 minutes of being put continually on hold as my new SquareTrade rep checked things on his end and finally opted to send my laptop in as a re-work.

So I begrudgingly send my laptop out again with numerous promises that everything will be fine when it returns. The item arrives within the week but it seemingly takes a couple days longer to repair. This gives me some hope but I am still pissed about losing the usage of my laptop for nearly a month now for a single repair. It takes a week to return to me and I boot it inside the box, as I had no faith at this point in their abilities. But after having to reinstall my data again because they apparently needed to wipe the drive again, it worked. Hooray, or once again so I thought. I used the laptop for a couple days with no issue. I was just happy not to send it again.

But after two days of constant use I began noticing that the screen was popping out of the frame a bit. Which was okay, I know adhesive sometimes needs a little while to stick better so I pushed it back in. After another couple of days it seems as if the entire screen is peeling away, popping out of the frame, and almost threatening to fall out of the display entirely no matter how many times I push it in. For a second time they had ** up my claim and while they repaired one part they broke another.

I got on the phone for my fourth time on July 20th and asked what they were going to do about this. My only option given was to send the item back in, get it back two weeks later, and hope for the best. This wouldn't be an issue if the running theme was that SQUARETRADE CANNOT COMPETENTLY FIX BROKEN ITEMS. I worry that if I send it in I will simply get it back with a paper saying "Operating System reinstalled" like my first time. Or maybe I will get the item back after some employee simply pushes the screen back in and sends it back.

The rep offered no guarantees, promises, or securities. I asked about getting a refund since they had botched both of my simple claims. But the only promise I was given was that I could not get a refund. So I asked about their other options that I had heard other customers experience, such as getting a substitute device while they fix my current one. Or getting a straight up replacement of equal value. Or the simple cash value of the laptop since they could not fix it twice. I was told that none of this was an option and that I was basically locked into sending my item back for two weeks and praying.

If I had infinite time and many free computers I would do this without worry, but my warranty runs out in a month and SquareTrade has yet to prove that they will actually repair my items. I asked the rep "if I got the item back and it was damaged again by the supposed repairer but was outside my warranty date would I still be covered?" but I was simply told no. SO if I send the machine back for repair and it is broken even further then I am **. But if I don't send the item in I am still **.

The claim representative acknowledged this and said it was the only choice, despite reading about all these other experiences of perfect repair. At this point I don't know what to do, but I know for sure that SquareTrade is an utterly incompetent repair service for warranties. I wish they would refund me as I'm sure with the money I spent I could find a better repair service, or hell I could probably do a better job myself. I am never buying from them again, and I will caution my friends heavily against them. Terrible.

Hello Sam,

We're sorry to hear of the issues you've experienced with your device repair, and we want to express that this is not the customer experience we strive to deliver. Whenever Squaretrade technicians complete an item repair a full diagnostic is run to ensure the item is entirely repaired, and it's very uncommon to continuously have to send a device into our repair center so often. We also have numerous policies in place to ensure your device is serviced should it return from repair with any issues, as well as different resolutions reserved for situations such as this.

Due to the inconvenience you've experienced we've processed a full refund of your warranty, as well as reached out to you to discuss the next steps forward. At this time we're waiting to hear back from you, and once we speak we'll do our best to ensure you're receiving quality service. We again apologize for the situation.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was very disappointed. I sent in my speaker twice for repair and never did it work the same way as when I first bought it. The first time I sent it in they told me if I had issues with it to send it back. I sent it back for the second time because it kept on powering off 5 minutes later after it being fully charged and they returned it saying it was working well. I called back and told them I wasn’t happy with it. Battery would die super fast. They told me they couldn’t do anything about it. I was hoping they would offer me a new one or something. I’m very upset with this insurance company and never again will I buy insurance through them

Hello Jose,

We apologize to hear your item experienced issues following the most recent repair, and to hear of the concerns regarding your warranty.

When this was brought to our attention we reached out to you and explained the policies we have in place to prevent issues like what you're experiencing, as well as what Squaretrade is willing to do to accommodate the situation. Based on our conversation both parties were satisfied with the result, and we appreciate you taking the time to speak to us.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Both of the phones I had “fixed” still have problems. My husband’s replacement phone now gets scorching HOT??? And mine is doing the same thing that I sent it in for. We are very unhappy with the lack of service. Pls contact us about this.

Hello Martine,

We're sorry to hear you were experiencing issues with your device following your most recent repair, as Squaretrade has numerous policies in place to address concerns like this. When this was brought to our attention we reached out and explained what we can do to get your issue resolved, and based on our conversation both parties were satisfied. We appreciate you taking the time to speak to us.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Each time that I have filed a claim, there has been a problem. The 1st time I was told that I would receive a reimbursement check... it never showed up and I was told they could not track it. Twice I purchased coverage through an eBay purchase and I'm told the number & the type of receipt through eBay is not correct. I know now not to add on SquareTrade warranties.

Hi Richard,

We are sorry to hear you have experienced issues utilizing your SquareTrade warranty. I was able to look into your account and locate a previous claim moved to reimbursement, however, our system indicates a Gift Card was emailed. I attempted to call you today but was only able to leave a voicemail. Please do not hesitate to directly reply to the email or call me directly with the contact information provided. I want to assure you receive your reimbursement and assist with processing a claim on your device.

BH

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: July 20, 2018

Wonderful experience going through Square Trade when our television broke. I was concerned it would be difficult as I am in my seventies but they walked me through it so nicely. The people that you talk to are amazing. The gentleman who walked me through the process to discover my tv was not fixable and I would be receiving a new one was amazing. The most amazing thing, though, was to find a new television delivered in less than 3 days after talking, and one of those days was a holiday, so it would have been 2 days. Talk about quick! Wonderful company to deal with. Thank you so much.

Original review: July 20, 2018

SquareTrade covered the current market price for my office chair after I filed a claim for severe fabric wear at the seat cushion seams and across the entire front of the cushion. I had photos prepared, but they said they didn't need them. This coverage truly will help me replace my office chair. Thank you, SquareTrade!

Original review: July 19, 2018

We had the best service anyone could ever ask for. Everyone was so helpful. I am enjoying my TV now. We had very quick response and was never left with what was wondering with our account. Before I could ask anything we had a reply waiting for us.

Original review: July 19, 2018

SquareTrade is very easy to deal with anytime I have called. They replaced a Dora phone that I have with ** and it was a pleasure to work with the representative and the company. Exceptional service! An order was placed, the new phone sent and an envelope was sent to return the phone. Painless, efficient... such good service! Thank You Square Trade! You’re a light and an exception in the business!

Original review: July 19, 2018

My poor Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop got some unfortunate water damage a couple months into owning it. The screen was ruined and USB ports stopped working. Luckily, I had bought a SquareTrade warranty for it! I filed a claim and had a box sent to me. The whole claims and repair process was very easy. They updated me every step of the way and the whole process took about a week and a half from start to finish. I got my laptop back in a functional condition.

The ONLY bad thing is that the screen repair was not perfect, as some glue is visible within the screen on the bottom left corner, and there is a small scratch on the backside of my laptop that was not there previously. Not ideal, but I am glad my laptop works again. I would definitely buy a warranty for my next laptop, I am just not sure yet if it would be a SquareTrade one.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I love SquareTrade and would highly recommend it to anyone getting it where available. The SquareTrade people really do honor their word and what they say they will do. I always purchase SquareTrade where available. It is the best warranty program out there. Everyone should get it. Fast response time and get professional people to help you out.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Total dissatisfaction with service. To make a long and slightly complicated story short I will say the following, SquareTrade claim Adjusters play the nasty Mickey Mouse game and jerked me around, I had to call in about 10 different times to get the issue resolved. Keep in mind all the phone calls did not include email Plus contacting Westinghouse with phone calls and emails to solve one issue, this is the second time that I tried to get warranty through SquareTrade in which SquareTrade Adjusters jerk me around. If someone ask me about SquareTrade I will say to watch out for the simple fact they know how to play Mickey Mouse games.

Hi Nidal,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with today. Once again I apologize for your dissatisfaction with our company. We aim to make our claim process seamless and provide the best experience to our customer. As I mentioned earlier, I have taken notes on your account to correct where we went wrong to avoid this issue in the future. I will send you a follow-up email of our discussion earlier.

Thanks,

JJ

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have been a faithful SquareTrade customer for several years. I have purchased a lot of plans and have had few claims. The couple of claims I have made have been fairly simple and reasonable. It has been a few years since I filed, but I was expecting another good experience when my hard drive failed that had a SquareTrade warranty on it.

The drive has been verified bad, but they requested I get a repair estimate on it. I have worked in computers for almost 20 years so I know hard drives usually aren't repaired unless there is important data that needs to be recovered. I also know that it is extremely expensive to do so. I decided to play ball anyway (to appease them) and had a hard time finding to quote a repair. Several companies were quoting me data recovery, but none would just fix the drive and give it back to me. I found one company to quote me $850 + parts which would be over 5x the amount of the original purchase.

I called them to request a replacement since a repair was unreasonable (and since they never respond to my emails). I spoke to 2 or 3 reps over a couple of weeks and each one demanded that I send the drive to them so they could repair it. I am almost positive that they won't be able to fix the drive and sending it to them means they may be able to access many TB of my personal data if they do. I'm really frustrated with how they are handling this as I have been a loyal and honest customer. Now I feel that I have to compromise and just accept that they might be able to have access to my personal data if I want them to process the claim (which I don't feel comfortable doing).

Hi Eric,

We are sorry to hear you are currently experiencing issues with your device. SquareTrade always attempts to repair before moving to replacement or reimbursement. When a claim is filed for replacement or reimbursement, we do require the item be sent in for salvaging.

I attempted to contact you today but was only able to leave a voicemail. Please do not hesitate to reply to the email or call me directly using the contact information provided. I would like to see how I can assist with providing a resolution.

Original review: July 18, 2018

We purchased a Nintendo Switch for my son in December. He was recently using it and it suddenly turned off and wouldn't turn back on. It also wouldn't charge. Contacted ST and they said it was still under manufacturer warranty and that we had to contact Nintendo. So, we contacted Nintendo and they said it was damage to one of the ac ports, and that they considered that physical damage, therefore it wasn't covered under the manufacturer warranty. So, back to ST I go. I figured that now, since Nintendo says that it isn't covered under warranty that the protection plan I bought would cover it. Well people, I don't know exactly what ST covers, but undoubtedly nothing that a standard manufacturer’s warranty won't cover. They refused to fix the device. I mean, are you kidding me?

I am so unbelievably upset by this! They couldn't even explain to me what the heck they DO cover! In all fairness, they did refund the price I paid for the warranty (or the process of doing so is underway), but I feel like they did that because it was cheaper to refund the cost than to fix the device. Their service is an absolute SCAM! My fault for buying at Target I guess. Next time I'll stick with Best Buy.

Hi Kera,

We are sorry to hear you have experienced issues with your device. SquareTrade provides two different types of warranty coverage, standard and accidental damage from handling. Our standard warranty protection covers against mechanical and electrical failures. The accidental damage from handling protection covers physical and liquid damage to a device. Due to the manufacturer considering the device to have physical damage the issue would not be covered by our standard protection plan.

I attempted to contact you today but unfortunately was only able to leave a voicemail. Please do not hesitate to directly reply to the email or call me directly using the contact information provided. I would like to see how I can be of assistance with a resolution.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I bought a electric saw and it broke down. At first I tried to file claim online, but it rejected it right away. Then I called and everything was working perfectly. Thanks for operator. It was pleasure to have a deal with SquareTrade.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I sent in my iroomba 665 to be repaired. I mailed from our local Fedex. I watched the lady package the iroomba with the charging base and cord. I received an email 7.17.18 that my iroomba was being sent back to me because of the "missing" charger base. This is NOT correct. This is my first time using SquareTrade and I am not happy with this.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Repaired my son's laptop after he cracked the screen but the repair was defective and the screen cracked the day after we got it back without my son doing anything. The company acknowledged that it was a defective repair and promised that they would fix it and the repair would not count against the lifetime total cost. Months later the laptop broke again and I called to get it repaired. They refused to fix it saying the lifetime cost had been used. I told them they had promised that the second repair would not count against it. They still refused to fix it. I was told they would listen to the tapes and get back to me. They never did. I called multiple other times -- each time was told that it was being escalated and they would get back to me within 2 days. They never called back. I called again today -- 6 weeks after it broke -- and was again given a runaround.

I was told they were not allowed to transfer me to a supervisor and that I would get a call back within in 2 days. I refused to hang up and finally they did transfer me to the supervisor. The supervisor was rude and lied about the 2nd repair saying it was accidental damage when it wasn't. He said that he would listen to the recording of the March 13 conversation and get back to me (which is the same thing I was told the last 4 calls). I told him if he claims I wasn't told that it wouldn't count against the total, that I would need to hear the recording myself for proof. He said they wouldn't do that and would only deny my claim and he said that no matter what was on it they wouldn't honor the warranty -- which was essentially an admission of intent to commit fraud.

Hi Elliot,

We want to apologize for your experience. We aim to make the claim process hassle-free and always want to provide an immediate resolution to our customers. I'm glad that we were able to speak today and get you taken care, but we are sorry about what you had to go through to obtain a resolution. We value our customers and we are looking into your account, to correct what went wrong in the process. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Boice

Original review: July 18, 2018

Received refund fairly quickly - Insured batteries did not have a one year manufacturer warranty and although I had three additional steps to complete by adding the receipt, having to call the company for a follow up and then mail back the batteries, I was sent the refund check shortly thereafter. I would suggest that you inform consumers that FedEx does not accept batteries at any location but has a special number to call and they will pick up from the consumer's home. That info would have been helpful to me.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Filed a claim about a security camera that was purchased was no longer working. Received notice within an hour or so that it had been approved without having to send it to SquareTrade. A check would be issued soon and mailed to me. Received the check in a few days. Very impressed by the quickness how all this happened and no trying to deny the claim.

Original review: July 18, 2018

While my initial experience with SquareTrade went exceptionally well (particularly through the initial claim filing and claim approval process) I received almost no feedback about the item that I sent in to be repaired. While the last email I received indicated that most items were repaired within 2-5 business days, I heard nothing back after more than a week. Being a little more transparent about the progress of item repairs would go a long way towards improving my view of SquareTrade, which has otherwise been a fine service.

Original review: July 18, 2018

I have been a SquareTrade customer for many years. I have previously filed a few claims in the past that were fairly smooth. This case however was not! I bought a printer in 2015 with a 3 year warranty with SquareTrade. I previously filed a claim on it and uploaded my receipt through the website. That claim ended up being pushed back to the manufacturer since it was within 1 year. I now need to file a new claim since my printer is non responsive and manufacturer cannot help me fix. I now need to re-upload my receipt.

Unfortunately I no longer have it due to losses during Hurricane Irma. I am being told that nothing can be done until I provide the receipt Again! Their website even shows the date of the receipt approval in my account. I was told to call and get a receipt from the store I purchased it from. They can't provide me with it since I don't know enough specifics about the purchase from almost 3 years ago. I will no longer be purchasing anything from them again. I follow their rules and they lose my digital receipt and I am now punished due to the fact that I lost many papers after a hurricane. Very unfortunate they were a great company, not any longer.

Hi Bryan,

We are sorry for any issues you are experiencing with your device. When a claim is filed, it is required by our insurers an invoice is on file to verify item price and purchase date. I was able to take a look at your warranty and located an invoice on file. However, the invoice attached is for a different 2-year warranty also purchased in 2015. We attempted to contact you today but were only able to leave a voicemail. Please directly reply to the email or call me directly using the contact information provided I would like to see how I can assist.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Customer Service needs to be trained better. You just get the runaround. When you finally get a box sent and the work is done on SquareTrade's end it never gets shipped out. Three times now my laptop computer has sat in the warehouse with only a shipping label on it but never sent to FedEx.

SquareTrade response

We apologize for any inconvenience the customer might have experienced due to the delays in delivery of her item on her last repair.

What we have done is inform the customer that we will be refunding her the cost of her warranty in full due to the missed opportunity of delivering her package outside of our promised timelines!

Finally we have also furnished the customer with both a direct phone number and extension where she could reach one of our high lever resolutions team members in the event she has any other questions!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with this agency. I would recommend this service again. The representative was very attentive and concerned with getting me the correct department. Nothing but wonderful experience.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Very streamlined process with this warranty replacement. The initial start was somewhat difficult because I was looking for my original receipt from Sams Club on this TV purchase but found out that when a warranty is purchased at Sam during the initial purchase the receipt is sent to Square Trade automatically at least in my case. Upon contact with service center a step by step process was sent to me by email for the troubleshooting process. When that didn't work the service center was contacted and another set of troubleshooting procedures were initiated. At the end of the testing it was determined that a replacement would be needed. Within one week a check was received and a new TV was purchased. Very simple process, the customer service was great. Thank you for a speedy process. This was the first time I have ever used the warranty program and it worked great.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My husband broke his phone and getting his replacement was so easy. The way they walked me through the process was awesome. It is actual “Customer Service” which is sometimes rare these days! Fast, accurate and polite who could ask for more. Thank!!

Original review: July 17, 2018

I tried to file a claim for an Xbox system purchase, but not for the Xbox console, for the included game controller. I tried to file a 3rd claim on this same controller today, and was told that the full $370 value of my plan had already been used up with the first two claim requests for the controller... Ok, let me make this clear, SquareTrade paid $370.00 to repair (not even replace) my son's Xbox controller TWICE. $370.00. Amazing. They must've sprinkled platinum magic dust on it, twice, for $370.00. And the same issue still happened a 3rd time. I could've purchased, BRAND NEW, 6 Xbox wireless controllers with $370.00. Absolutely flabbergasted. I'm infuriated, and I will not be purchasing any more SquareTrade warranties with any of my purchases. I was a 500% loyal SquareTrade customer, literally, any item that offered me a ST plan, I purchased, Sam's Club, Amazon, Walmart, anywhere. No more. This is one ticked-off mom.

Hello Enith,

We apologize for any inconvenience experienced, and when this concern was brought to our attention we reached out and discussed what Squaretrade was willing to do to take care of it. We refunded the full cost of your warranty and based on our conversation both parties were satisfied with the final results. We thank you for taking the time to speak to us, and we will be reviewing your claim to verify where we can implement any future process improvements.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 16, 2018

It is said that you learn what something is worth when you pay for it. After paying for a SquareTrade warrant I learned that it was worthless. The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad SquareTrade merits NO stars but one star is as low as permitted. We purchased an LG television at Costco, purchasing a five (5) year SquareTrade warranty at that time. Two years in, the display weakened; whites turned gray, reds turned pink. Presented an online claim to SquareTrade. Rejected. SquareTrade insisted Costco was responsible. Telephoned Costco and for the next 30 minutes Costco had us jump from one TV menu item to the next before admitting it could not solve the display problem.

Costco bounced us back to SquareTrade. When making a claim to SquareTrade you truly have taken a detour into the world of ** crazy. Over a period of days, SquareTrade repeatedly requested the same information, again and again - including serial number, model number and svc code number. SquareTrade then demanded that we send a picture of the label on the back of the TV which had the serial number, model number and svc number. Just delay, delay, delay. SquareTrade is arguably (and it's hard to see any realistic counter-argument) the absolute worst warranty service in the country. The worst.

SquareTrade insisted we run the TV through what it called a “Picture Test” and e-mailed instructions on how to perform the test. The instructions were wrong. We discovered the correct procedure on our own, performed the test and sent the result to SquareTrade. It sent an e-mail approving the claim. On the same day, it sent an e-mail stating it could not approve the claim until it received a photo of a screen shot of the entire television display. That too was done. And nothing. We periodically complained to Costco; which in turn contacted SquareTrade.

We also went around and around with SquareTrade as to addresses. SquareTrade mailed us the repair parts for the TV. On the same day, the very same day the parts were received by us, SquareTrade sent an e-mail informing that it could not send the parts because it lacked our address and therefore could not repair the TV. Each time we complained about the ineptitude of this clown circus, SquareTrade responded with the sort of silence usually expected from the crowd at the 18th hole of a golf tournament.

At that point, we sent a single-space, four-page letter to Costco more fully detailing SquareTrade’s clown circus. SquareTrade is so bad that I feel torn about those few who gave it more than one star. On the one hand, it's great that a small number of people are feeling like they received good service. On the other hand, it makes me sad that they've set the bar so low for themselves that they regard SquareTrade as a good company. In reality, you would have an easier time getting a squirrel to land a 747 jet than getting good service from SquareTrade.

In addition to complaining about SquareTrade, do as we did, complaint to the company that sold the warranty, here Costco. Point out they are selling a defective service to their customers and are therefore damaging their brand. Write the manufacturer, in our instance LG and complain about SquareTrade. Tell everybody and anybody – to avoid SquareTrade.

Hello Benedict,

We're sorry to hear your claim experience was difficult and that you had to repeat so much information. Squaretrade specialists will sometimes require you to reverify your address or product information because this is crucial to providing you the best service.

In this instance there was some confusion regarding your in home repair due to an address provided during the claim filing process compared to one that was provided as a later update. We understand you had to provide this multiple times and one of our specialists attempted to clarify the situation, though this may not have been properly communicated. To resolve your concern we've reached out to explain what we can provide as an alternative resolution.

At this time we're waiting to hear back from you, and once we speak we'll let you know what other resolutions we can provide to get your TV up and running.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I wish I could give these people no stars. I purchased a TV costing me $2600. They recommended me covering it and the only option I had was SquareTrade. I wanted extra coverage spending this kind of money. Two years later I had to contact them. My port malfunction (optical) and they told me it’s not covered, but ports are covered. Due to the flap broken they deem it damaged! Like how when I did nothing wrong?? So I spent extra money getting coverage with them, and now I have a broken TV with the display malfunctioning that they refuse to acknowledge due to the port. I will never recommend or use this company again!

Hello Cordia,

We're sorry to hear of any difficulty experienced while filing a claim with us, or if there was any misconception regarding your warranty coverage. Squaretrade claims specialists are extensively trained to make determinations of claims based on the description of the issue your item is experiencing, and if these issues correspond with the type of coverage your policy includes. Unfortunately when the issue with your TV was described to our specialists it was determined to be a physical one, and these are not covered beneath our standard protection plans.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we have refunded the full cost of your warranty.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I have had SquareTrade for many years, they have always been good until now. I was working on cleaning up my our small pool and I tripped on the hose and my phone flipped out of my pocket, hit the side of the pool and then into the pool. I grabbed it as quick as I could but the damage was done, do to being a smartphone I couldn't turn it off due to the touchscreen and the side button wouldn't work. I used compressed air to blow the phone out and I stuck it in rice. I pulled it out of the rice to check it, it still doesn't work.

Tried to file a claim online but it kept telling me the ID number was wrong, I went into chat and was told to call them, how am I supposed to call with no phone, I added an extra zero and it accepted it. I got to the end of the claim and it tells me that there would be a $750.00 hold on my bank card but they don't have any replacement phones in stock to go get it repaired. I went to 4 different places and was told the same thing "it is a total loss" the other option is to send it in and get it repaired.

I got into chat and was told that was my only option. My problem is I am disabled and my wife is in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery, I need a phone ASAP not in 2 weeks. I wouldn't be able to have a $750.00 hold on my card either since I don't have that much money in there and I do not have a credit card only a debit card. SquareTrade has gone to crap! I will no longer do business with them, they have no compassion or understanding of people's needs. I am just going to buy a new phone and no SquareTrade insurance. I never had this problem with them in the past, I guess it must be that Allstate owns them now, I will be getting rid of our Allstate insurance as well.

Hello Jeff,

We're sorry to hear of the difficulty you experienced with filing a claim, as well as your frustration with our replacement process. While Squaretrade does provide customers access to our online claims center we understand that the online system isn't capable of understanding every nuance of your claim. Due to this we also provide access to support agents via our website chat support or our call-in claims center.

The $750 fee you're referring to is our authorization hold used for the replacement process, and this is a fee we place as a temporary hold on a customer account during a replacement process. This is to ensure that both parties are receiving a device, and once you provide Squaretrade your original phone we lift this charge from your card.

When your concern was brought to our attention we made multiple attempts to contact you and explain what we can do to accommodate the situation, and as of now we're waiting to hear back. We look forward to discussing this further with you and reinstilling your trust in our company.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 13, 2018

SquareTrade has been terrible on two occasions. Both almost identical. They ship parts and then depend on a subcontractor to take care of the repair. In my most recent experience I was told to be available from 8-5 on Wednesday July 11th. I moved my other appointments around (I'm a financial adviser and have appointments with clients from 9-5 daily) so I could meet the technician during the day as agreed. The tech was supposed to confirm with me and provide his name and contact number last week. I didn't hear from any tech so I called SquareTrade to let them know I thought we had an issue. They told me to wait until 4:30 or 5:00 just to make sure no one was going to show up.

Having been through this before with SquareTrade I called the subcontractor to find out if anyone was coming to do the repair. They said it was scheduled but could not reach the tech. He wasn't answering his phone or responding to email. So the next day I called SquareTrade again. During the course of several conversations they decided they would replace my tv with a new or refurbished off brand TV. (Possibly the cheapest TV brand available in the US.) Upon reviewing this option I asked for a different choice. I was told this was my only choice. My TV is a 60" Vizio that I paid around $850 for. The off brand is $450 new at Best Buy. Refurbished it's probable a $200 TV.

This off brand is not in any way a comparable replacement except in screen size. Each call to ST requires a full explanation since its employees do not take or put accurate notes in their system. In the meantime around noon today (Friday the 13th) a technician actually did call and make an appointment for Saturday the 14th at noon. Who knows what will happen? So the bottom line is poor service requiring multiple calls to SquareTrade, poor or no follow up, poor or no note taking, a very poor subcontractor and a pathetic replacement option. The frustration alone would keep me from buying another SquareTrade warranty contract. I am surprised that Costco would even sell this inferior product. It is very disappointing.

Hello Bill,

We thank you for bringing this concern with your TV claim to our attention, and we apologize to hear our technician did not arrive for the scheduled repair. One of our agents reached out to you and explained our methods of determining a replacement TV, as well as explained we've provided a different replacement offer.

Based on our conversation we hope you are more satisfied with the experience, and we've provided you a direct point of contact in case you have anymore concerns. We thank you for taking the time to speak to us today and we will be following up with additional results.

KM

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information