formerly SquareTrade

4.1/5 (242 ratings)

About Allstate Protection Plans

Allstate Protection Plans offers device warranties and protection. The company has programs for every type of tech device and offers online claims, free shipping on repairs and no hidden fees. The plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

Pros

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

Cons

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Bottom Line

Allstate Protection Plans offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were br...

Verified

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy cus...

What is Allstate Protection Plans?

Allstate Protection Plans' device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by Allstate Protection Plans' warranties:

Smartphones
Allstate Protection Plans' smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to Allstate Protection Plans using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year Allstate Protection Plans warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using Allstate Protection Plans' mail-in service.
Appliances
Allstate Protection Plans covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
Allstate Protection Plans provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

Allstate Protection Plans' coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does an Allstate Protection Plans warranty work?

You can file a claim with Allstate Protection Plans online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a Allstate Protection Plans representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If Allstate Protection Plans is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does Allstate Protection Plans cost?

The cost of an Allstate Protection Plans warranty varies depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for Allstate Protection Plans' coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
iPads$109 to $259$0 to $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

Allstate Protection Plans FAQ

Does Allstate Protection Plans repair or replace?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does Allstate Protection Plans insurance work?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
An Allstate Protection Plans warranty can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact Allstate Protection Plans?
You can contact Allstate Protection Plans by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy an Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is Allstate Protection Plans worth it?

Allstate Protection Plans' warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend Allstate Protection Plans as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: May 12, 2022

We purchased AllState on all the kitchen appliances. The first time I called to file a claim, the refrigerator's compressor was down. They took almost a week to fix it. They said they could send a check up to $400 for all the food we have there. But they want me to send receipts. I don't keep my grocery receipts with me. I just throw them away. I was disappointed but I said, "Whatever".

Between last month and this month, I called about the microwave and I was in shock because the service was great. I got service in the next couple of days. But I was kind of disappointed with the contractor, Nana's Repair because it took me two weeks back and forth to hear from them. The first time the tech showed up, he said, "Oh, no, we need to order a different part, but you need to get approved by the warranty." And I said, "So how long is it gonna take it?" He said, "Maybe seven days." And I said that was fine.

The part that AHS sent to me, he took possession of. I said, "Wait a minute. Why are you taking that piece?" He said, "Oh, because I'm gonna take possession of that.". I said, "But it's not yours. It's not Nana's. It's coming from the warranty center." So, I've been calling back and forth for another week. That technician was supposed to show up on a Saturday but he was a no show. I called back on Monday and said I needed to speak to a supervisor. The reps told me that they don't have supervisors. I said, "Don't tell me that you don't have a supervisor at your business. Somebody has to run the place, right?" When I said that, they called me an hour later and said they were gonna send a technician on Saturday.

They contracted somebody else that the guy who showed up was really nice. I asked him, "Oh, you work for Nana's?" and he said, "I just took the call from them because they pay me, but I don't work for the company." It was a third-party company but he was really professional. He fixed the issue and said, "Anything else, ma'am?. If there's anything, don't call Nana's. Just go straight back to your warranty center. Because right now, I don't know why they dismiss all your calls and evidence." He gave me a heads-up. So, I sent an email to Nana's and told them everything that happened and that I'm not really satisfied with the service.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2022

We got an extended warranty on my daughter's laptop, and we have an existing extended warranty on our television, which we bought through Costco originally. When we had a problem with the TV, we went to Costco and they explained that there was a process involved. They gave us the correct phone number and information to give and we learned we would be dealing with Allstate because that’s who the protection plan goes through.

When we bought the TV and the extended warranty on it, I wasn't thinking about what company that was going to because everything is done through Costco. I was thinking more that I was dealing with Costco, not with an insurance company. It makes sense to me that Costco goes through an insurance company, whether it’d be Allstate or anyone else. Once we were into the game of having our TV dealt with, I understood the aspect that they were going through an insurance company rather than it just being Costco who dealt with it.

I understand that it's more expedient for Costco to hand it over to a company such as Allstate rather than try to deal with it themselves. They probably would have simply said, “Well, your TV's bad. Bring it back and trade it in for another one,” and the problem when you do that is you don't get any assessment as to exactly what the problem is. You're simply blindly replacing the TV. I also have a feeling Costco would say, “We are not in the repair business. We're not into the assessment business of trying to determine what's wrong with the TV. We provide a product. And we have people sign up to the warranties. And then they deal with the insurance companies that work with those.” Allstate’s business is to decide how they wanna deal with those claims, and that's fine with me.

We made a call and worked with the Allstate people with regards to what it was gonna take to either repair or replace our TV. Everybody was very nice and friendly. However, the time the process took was pretty invasive. We had to go through a regimen of things in order to finally make our claim and it took at least a week before we got approval.

The only thing that was concerning me during that process was that I ended up going through two or three different people and there was a review process, but I understood that because they had to look at the information we gave them and they had to decide what was most cost-effective. Was it to send a technician out to examine and possibly repair the TV? Or based on what they knew about the problem, was it more beneficial to simply replace the TV? That was their call and not ours. If they wanted to send a technician, that would have been fine. The nature of the problem was possibly one of the gazillion little lights in our TV that formulate a picture had gone out, so they determined that it was an internal problem. It sounded like it would have been fairly invasive to try to repair and replace that little light and it was more cost-effective to simply replace the TV and be done with it.

They shipped us the new TV and I haven't any complaints in that regard. They explained very explicitly that the warranty we had on the TV would continue to run until it ran out, which will be in a few more months. If something happens between now and then, fine. Otherwise, after that, it’s gonna be on our dime as far as replacing or repairing it. There would be no new warranty created on this new TV as it was a replacement. We'll hope that this will continue to run for some time.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I had Allstate for a suite of kitchen appliances, the microwave, stove, and refrigerator. All of the electronics on the new appliances are fairly new ones. I called Allstate when I had a claim and had a good response. I used it twice. The stove had a problem and they took care of that quickly and efficiently. They sent me a check and it was enough money that I could replace the stove. I got $100 more than what they gave me.

I also used the plan when the microwave went out. In both cases, it had something to do with the electronics. That one was a little bit more problematic. I call Allstate and I had to send them copies of my receipt where I had purchased the item. They told me they were going to send me an email with a link to it. I needed to click on the link and give them some stuff. It took me three tries before they sent me the link. I got a lady on the phone and I was getting a little frustrated. The lady sent me the link while I was sitting at the computer and I took care of it right then and there. They sent me a check. In this case, that one also was a little bit more than what they had given me. I was buying an individual piece and not a suite of stuff. On the whole, I was very glad that I bought Allstate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The light burnt out on the TV and I only had it for less than two years. When I called Vizio, I was up, which was when I called Allstate. They told me to call them first and see if I have the protection, which I didn’t, and Allstate said they could help me. The claims process was quick and understandable. I did it through their online chat, and the person was helpful. I didn't know if I was gonna go back to Walmart with Black Friday sales coming so I took a check. Then, I bought a TV on Black Friday. I've worked with Allstate before in a claim. I bought a hoverboard last Christmas for my daughter and she rode it in the basement, and it broke within a couple of months of having it. I tried to call the hoverboard number but they never answered, and I got ahold of Allstate over the phone. The guy said they would cover me. They gave me a little gift card through Walmart, and I went online and used it as a new purchase at Walmart for another one.

People should get their protection plan from Allstate. I've had many different protection plans throughout different companies and they have to be the easiest to go through. I appreciate that they don't even ask for the items back. I took pictures and uploaded it. It was a little bit of a process because I had to email pictures in and they asked to get a different side view. But they had very quick responses on the emails, which was within a day.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

I got a little bit of a runaround, but it wasn't due to them. We found that my TV had a recall through LG, and so they hooked me up with LG and they were supposed to fix it. Whoever they contract through to fix these things never showed up. Every day they were supposed to show up, they rescheduled. It was more than a month. And in the process of me calling about my TV, I had an accident, so I was hurt. So, I forgot all about it and then I'm like, "Hey, my TV's still messing us."

So, the day I called AllState had it done. It was perfect as it normally is. They sent the technician out and it took them 30 minutes to fix it and my TV's working. The money that I spent on that TV, I do not have right now to replace it. That would have resulted in me having to throw away the TV. But now, I'll have it for a couple of more years. Also, I bought a washer from Amazon and the company was shut down during the pandemic. So, I couldn't get the piece to get it repaired. AllState issued me a check and took care of it. The customer service was great.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Never was able to print label from email on phone so got told it'll be sent in mail as priority and still received nothing. Been waiting over a week and half. Like to get my kid tablet to be fixed ASAP.

Hi Alicia,

We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with your recent claim.

SquareTrade does our best to provide our customers with effective resolutions. Our goal is to make sure your claim experience is as seamless and efficient as possible. Our mail-in repair resolution includes a two-day express prepaid shipping label and we strive for a 5 business day repair time. We try to account for any factors that could possibly cause a delay; we are sorry to hear you are having trouble accessing your shipping label but we would love to help resolve this.

A member of our team has reached out to you in order to further assist.

DS

Original review: May 19, 2022

My Segway MiniPro was purchased online through Walmart and I bought the 3 year warranty through Allstate Protection. After two years the board just stopped working. It was a bit of a hassle to get the warranty started but it worked. The problem is that they want me to pay for the repair and they say they will reimburse me right away. This feels risky. How do I know they will actually pay me? Why do I need to spend more money even though my device is apparently under warranty? It feels like I may be headed down a rabbit hole with these folks.

Hello Roderick,

We are sorry to hear you have concerns regarding the local repair resolution.

SquareTrade does its best to provide a seamless experience and anticipate our customers' needs by providing customized service as we offer protection on a wide variety of items. The availability of resolutions is based on several factors, such as the type of item, the issue it is facing, and so on. We aim to offer repair and replacement resolutions as our first priority, as these options are most likely to allow the warranty coverage to remain intact following a claim.

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today to discuss your concerns and for allowing me to provide additional assistance. Please be assured that you have the support you need throughout the claim process.

-CY

Original review: May 9, 2022

The only good thing I will say is that eventually my Projector was fixed. The submission/filing system for a claim is absolute garbage. I feel like it's designed this way on purpose because why would they actually want you to file anything.

1. Their system doesn't allow for ANY errors, you messed up? Too bad you're now screwed and the only way to fix it is find a hidden phone number to call in and be tossed from underpaid employee to underpaid employee.
    2. The FIRST time I filed a claim they didn't have the Model of projector so I couldn't complete the claim and was forced to call in and wait on the phone for almost an hour. After getting it fixed the tech threw it in a box with a couple air pillows and it was damaged probably in transit.

3. The Second time I filed months later because the system was just so ** I didn't feel like torturing myself they didn't even have the Brand of my projector on their claim site making it LITERALLY impossible to file without calling in and sitting on the phone.

Do not use their services ever.

Hello Brice,

We are sorry to hear of any dissatisfaction faced during your recent claim experience.

SquareTrade uses certified technicians to complete all repairs and we perform extensive diagnostic tests to confirm functionality before returning the equipment to the customer. We offer a service guarantee of the work done for a period of time after the mail-in repair, for any failures once the claim is completed. Additionally, SquareTrade does our best to provide efficient service for our customers anticipating their different needs. Our goal is to ensure that the claim process is clear, effective, and seamless. SquareTrade works especially hard to make improvements to our website and mobile app that will provide our customers with quick and easy access. Although all claims can be started online, at times we may ask the customer to call in to confirm details or finalize their claim which will result in a suitable resolution. We are sorry for any inconveniences faced during your recent interaction with us.

At this time, a member of our team has reached out to you directly to provide additional support.

-CY

Original review: May 8, 2022

♥ I protect all electronic devices & any other large purchases. I have contacted All-State with different matters and each time I was pleased with the results. No hassle - No Worries - Things are replaced, revised & sometimes reimbursed. ♥

Original review: May 8, 2022

I’ve called twice about issues with my LG TV from Costco. I got transferred to someone who barely speaks English, who told me to do the same things over and over again. Wasted 45 minute of my time. And the tv still randomly shuts off and has other issues. I don’t understand what the point of purchasing the protection plan is. It’s pointless and a waste of money. I’m basically paying to have my time wasted. If I call again I’m pretty sure they’ll tell me the same thing over and over again. They may send someone one out and it still won’t get fixed. IT'S ALL A SCAM.

Hi Kevin,

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your recent claim experience.

At SquareTrade, our goal is to provide you with services that will effectively resolve the issues you experience with your device. Squaretrade's TV claims process is designed to ensure we are providing the most appropriate resolution based on the situation. Our team supplies customers with troubleshooting steps to perform on their TV. We find this can help to easily isolate the defect with the item which in turn allows us to determine the most fitting solution. This can also lead to a simple on-the-spot fix that does not impact the customer's protection plan.

We are sorry that this has not been your experience and we would like to see how we can further assist you. One of our specialists has reached out to you in order to get this resolved.

DS