formerly SquareTrade

4.2/5 (321 ratings)

About Allstate Protection Plans

Allstate Protection Plans offers device warranties and protection. The company has programs for every type of tech device and offers online claims, free shipping on repairs and no hidden fees. The plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

Pros

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

Cons

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Bottom Line

Allstate Protection Plans offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were br...

Verified

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy cus...

What is Allstate Protection Plans?

Allstate Protection Plans' device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by Allstate Protection Plans' warranties:

Smartphones
Allstate Protection Plans' smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to Allstate Protection Plans using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year Allstate Protection Plans warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using Allstate Protection Plans' mail-in service.
Appliances
Allstate Protection Plans covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
Allstate Protection Plans provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

Allstate Protection Plans' coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does an Allstate Protection Plans warranty work?

You can file a claim with Allstate Protection Plans online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a Allstate Protection Plans representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If Allstate Protection Plans is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does Allstate Protection Plans cost?

The cost of an Allstate Protection Plans warranty varies depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for Allstate Protection Plans' coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
iPads$109 to $259$0 to $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

Allstate Protection Plans FAQ

Does Allstate Protection Plans repair or replace?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does Allstate Protection Plans insurance work?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
An Allstate Protection Plans warranty can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact Allstate Protection Plans?
You can contact Allstate Protection Plans by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy an Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is Allstate Protection Plans worth it?

Allstate Protection Plans' warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend Allstate Protection Plans as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I kept submitting the receipts. I kept sending emails. I never got answers back from Allstate. It was dragged a long time. It was a repair. It's a warranty but I don’t know if it’s a replacement. Allstate just told me to take it in. They said if it wasn’t under 256, not to get a repair, but if it was under 256, get a repair. So they did a test on it and said that both of my AirPods were burned out. And the test came out negative so they suggested that it needed replacement.

I called Allstate and told them what was going on. They said, “You need to submit this and then you have to pay from your pocket and we'll get back to you.” And I paid from my pocket. I submitted everything. And that same day that I went there, they replaced my AirPods and took the other one back. I started submitting receipts from that point on. They kept saying that they couldn't read them. They couldn’t open them. I called back again. I waited for almost a week and the lady told me that they couldn't open it. I asked, ‘When were you guys gonna let me know?” And she said, “Somebody was supposed to reach.” I said nobody reached out to me.” I asked to what email do I send it to. She said, “The same email they sent you, the first one.”

I said, “Ma'am, can you send me an email so I can send attachments, send it to you, and see if you can open it up and see it before we hang up?” She said it would take 15 minutes and she couldn’t be on the line with me. So I said, “Fine. No problem.” She sent me the email. It took one second to get the email from her while I was talking to her on the phone. I resubmitted. At the same time, I asked her if she received it. She said, “I can’t look at that right now. It takes about 15 minutes.” I sent her four to six times that day. And later on, the person emailed me and says, “We can’t open it.” That was about it. So I said, “I submitted six different times. Can you open any of them?” I didn't get an answer again.

I waited about for five days, yet still, nobody answered me. After that, I called again and the lady said, “We can’t open it.” I said, “We have a problem because I have submitted it six different ways and nobody's called me and let know or emailed me.” And she said, “We can't open it.” I’m done. I got upset. Told her I needed to talk to a manager. They sent me to a supervisor. She was a very nice lady and I explained to her just like I explained it here. She went in there, opened it up and said, “You know what? I'm able to see one and I have no problem with it. I will submit your claim right now and send you a check within five to seven business days.” I said, “Okay. No problem.” Once we did that, she said, "Anything else I can help you?” I said, “No, that’s about it.” I got the check five days later after talking to her.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2022

We purchased AllState on all the kitchen appliances. The first time I called to file a claim, the refrigerator's compressor was down. They took almost a week to fix it. They said they could send a check up to $400 for all the food we have there. But they want me to send receipts. I don't keep my grocery receipts with me. I just throw them away. I was disappointed but I said, "Whatever".

Between last month and this month, I called about the microwave and I was in shock because the service was great. I got service in the next couple of days. But I was kind of disappointed with the contractor, Nana's Repair because it took me two weeks back and forth to hear from them. The first time the tech showed up, he said, "Oh, no, we need to order a different part, but you need to get approved by the warranty." And I said, "So how long is it gonna take it?" He said, "Maybe seven days." And I said that was fine.

The part that AHS sent to me, he took possession of. I said, "Wait a minute. Why are you taking that piece?" He said, "Oh, because I'm gonna take possession of that.". I said, "But it's not yours. It's not Nana's. It's coming from the warranty center." So, I've been calling back and forth for another week. That technician was supposed to show up on a Saturday but he was a no show. I called back on Monday and said I needed to speak to a supervisor. The reps told me that they don't have supervisors. I said, "Don't tell me that you don't have a supervisor at your business. Somebody has to run the place, right?" When I said that, they called me an hour later and said they were gonna send a technician on Saturday.

They contracted somebody else that the guy who showed up was really nice. I asked him, "Oh, you work for Nana's?" and he said, "I just took the call from them because they pay me, but I don't work for the company." It was a third-party company but he was really professional. He fixed the issue and said, "Anything else, ma'am?. If there's anything, don't call Nana's. Just go straight back to your warranty center. Because right now, I don't know why they dismiss all your calls and evidence." He gave me a heads-up. So, I sent an email to Nana's and told them everything that happened and that I'm not really satisfied with the service.

Original review: April 27, 2022

We got an extended warranty on my daughter's laptop, and we have an existing extended warranty on our television, which we bought through Costco originally. When we had a problem with the TV, we went to Costco and they explained that there was a process involved. They gave us the correct phone number and information to give and we learned we would be dealing with Allstate because that’s who the protection plan goes through.

When we bought the TV and the extended warranty on it, I wasn't thinking about what company that was going to because everything is done through Costco. I was thinking more that I was dealing with Costco, not with an insurance company. It makes sense to me that Costco goes through an insurance company, whether it’d be Allstate or anyone else. Once we were into the game of having our TV dealt with, I understood the aspect that they were going through an insurance company rather than it just being Costco who dealt with it.

I understand that it's more expedient for Costco to hand it over to a company such as Allstate rather than try to deal with it themselves. They probably would have simply said, “Well, your TV's bad. Bring it back and trade it in for another one,” and the problem when you do that is you don't get any assessment as to exactly what the problem is. You're simply blindly replacing the TV. I also have a feeling Costco would say, “We are not in the repair business. We're not into the assessment business of trying to determine what's wrong with the TV. We provide a product. And we have people sign up to the warranties. And then they deal with the insurance companies that work with those.” Allstate’s business is to decide how they wanna deal with those claims, and that's fine with me.

We made a call and worked with the Allstate people with regards to what it was gonna take to either repair or replace our TV. Everybody was very nice and friendly. However, the time the process took was pretty invasive. We had to go through a regimen of things in order to finally make our claim and it took at least a week before we got approval.

The only thing that was concerning me during that process was that I ended up going through two or three different people and there was a review process, but I understood that because they had to look at the information we gave them and they had to decide what was most cost-effective. Was it to send a technician out to examine and possibly repair the TV? Or based on what they knew about the problem, was it more beneficial to simply replace the TV? That was their call and not ours. If they wanted to send a technician, that would have been fine. The nature of the problem was possibly one of the gazillion little lights in our TV that formulate a picture had gone out, so they determined that it was an internal problem. It sounded like it would have been fairly invasive to try to repair and replace that little light and it was more cost-effective to simply replace the TV and be done with it.

They shipped us the new TV and I haven't any complaints in that regard. They explained very explicitly that the warranty we had on the TV would continue to run until it ran out, which will be in a few more months. If something happens between now and then, fine. Otherwise, after that, it’s gonna be on our dime as far as replacing or repairing it. There would be no new warranty created on this new TV as it was a replacement. We'll hope that this will continue to run for some time.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I had Allstate for a suite of kitchen appliances, the microwave, stove, and refrigerator. All of the electronics on the new appliances are fairly new ones. I called Allstate when I had a claim and had a good response. I used it twice. The stove had a problem and they took care of that quickly and efficiently. They sent me a check and it was enough money that I could replace the stove. I got $100 more than what they gave me.

I also used the plan when the microwave went out. In both cases, it had something to do with the electronics. That one was a little bit more problematic. I call Allstate and I had to send them copies of my receipt where I had purchased the item. They told me they were going to send me an email with a link to it. I needed to click on the link and give them some stuff. It took me three tries before they sent me the link. I got a lady on the phone and I was getting a little frustrated. The lady sent me the link while I was sitting at the computer and I took care of it right then and there. They sent me a check. In this case, that one also was a little bit more than what they had given me. I was buying an individual piece and not a suite of stuff. On the whole, I was very glad that I bought Allstate.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

The light burnt out on the TV and I only had it for less than two years. When I called Vizio, I was up, which was when I called Allstate. They told me to call them first and see if I have the protection, which I didn’t, and Allstate said they could help me. The claims process was quick and understandable. I did it through their online chat, and the person was helpful. I didn't know if I was gonna go back to Walmart with Black Friday sales coming so I took a check. Then, I bought a TV on Black Friday. I've worked with Allstate before in a claim. I bought a hoverboard last Christmas for my daughter and she rode it in the basement, and it broke within a couple of months of having it. I tried to call the hoverboard number but they never answered, and I got ahold of Allstate over the phone. The guy said they would cover me. They gave me a little gift card through Walmart, and I went online and used it as a new purchase at Walmart for another one.

People should get their protection plan from Allstate. I've had many different protection plans throughout different companies and they have to be the easiest to go through. I appreciate that they don't even ask for the items back. I took pictures and uploaded it. It was a little bit of a process because I had to email pictures in and they asked to get a different side view. But they had very quick responses on the emails, which was within a day.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

They approved my claims, sent me e-gift cards and when I went to the store, the gift cards did not work. How embarrassing. When I contacted them, twice, because no one responded after the first agent said they would refer the matter higher, they sent me an email asking for my receipts, pictures and other things I no longer had because my claim was approved.

I let them know that after the approval, I got rid of the items and that my receipt was of course on their website, it’s how I filed the claim. I told them I expected they would reissue new gift cards. They sent me back the exact same email I received the first time, word for word, asking for my receipt and pictures of the item. They are probably not going to handle this. And I’m not happy because I have a lot of warranties through them, but I’m pretty sure I won’t be doing that in the future.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hello Cadence Steinpreis,

We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with your recent claim for reimbursement.

SquareTrade does our best to provide our customers with efficient and effective resolutions since we strive to make the claim experience as hassle-free as possible. Once the proper documentation is submitted, our goal is to process the payment as quickly as possible. We are sorry this was not the case with your claim.

Our review team has reached out directly to discuss the situation and provide further assistance.

SQ

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

I purchased a Gaming Chair from Amazon.com. They offered an extended warranty thru Allstate Protection Plans (DBA Square Trade Inc), for $ 29.95, which I purchased. Two years into the three year coverage, the hydraulic lift cylinder failed. I accessed the online claim site and filed a claim. They responded by email requesting photos of the damage. I answered back that I could not photograph the damage because it was an internal failure. Again they requested photos, again I answered that I could not photograph the damage because it was an internal failure. At this point I called the SquareTrade toll free phone number (which I should have done in the first place). After a 5 minute phone conversation, they issued me a full refund on the purchase price of the chair. I am pleased with the outcome.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My LG TV did not connect to the internet. After some back and forth I was offered another TV not an LG and I didn't want that brand so I refused and was eventually offered a cash payment to purchase another TV. It was not what I paid for the TV but since they are much cheaper now, I was able to replace the defective TV. In the end I was satisfied with the resolution.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

Refrigerator needed repairs, mechanic was on time and very professional, communication with office was also professional and courteous at all times. Would recommend AllState Protection Plans whenever is available. I always buy the AllState Protection Plans and it is a peace of mind.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I was reimbursed for a bike I bought 14 months earlier with no hassle and no delay. Excellent customer service. I’m really glad I bought the extended warranty thru Walmart. Recently I bought a replacement and did not hesitate to purchase extended warranty from Allstate.

Allstate Protection Plans Company Information