Accredited Partner

formerly SquareTrade

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.16/5

When your stuff breaks, it's our mission to make you good again. Allstate Protection Plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

BOTTOM LINE

SquareTrade offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

PROS

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

CONS

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were broken… SquareTrade showed me that they were concerned and because of what happened and the red tape in my situation, they

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy customer. Very easy to work with!!

What is SquareTrade?

SquareTrade’s device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by SquareTrade’s warranties:

Smartphones
SquareTrade’s smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to SquareTrade using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year SquareTrade warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using SquareTrade’s mail-in service.
Appliances
SquareTrade covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
SquareTrade provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

SquareTrade’s coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does SquareTrade warranty work?

You can file a claim with SquareTrade online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a SquareTrade representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If SquareTrade is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does SquareTrade cost?

SquareTrade warranty costs vary depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for SquareTrade coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
Smartphones$8.99 - $19.99 a month$25 - $149
Laptops$89.99 to $549.99$0 - $75
iPads$109 to $259$0 - $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

SquareTrade FAQ

Does SquareTrade repair or replace?
SquareTrade repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does SquareTrade insurance work?
SquareTrade repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a SquareTrade warranty?
SquareTrade warranties can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact SquareTrade?
You can contact SquareTrade by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy a SquareTrade warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is SquareTrade worth it?

SquareTrade’s warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend SquareTrade as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I put an extended coverage on an Xbox One wireless controller. SquareTrade was offered at the tech stand when I bought it at Target. It was my sixth controller that I've purchased over the years. They usually don't last. The manufacturer's warranty from Microsoft covers 90 days. Their thumbsticks usually go bad after 90 days to where you have a wandering cursor on the screen. I haven't had very good luck with buying one and having it last for beyond that 90-day period.

One of the buttons randomly stopped working the way it's supposed to. It's the right bumper on the controller. You got to push it and it works sometimes. But it's like one out of every four pushes. I tried to submit a claim. It was a couple of months after the original warranty had run out. Then it was telling me that usually these warranties last for a year. I knew it wasn't a year but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to submit the claim any further. Then I got close to a year and I was thinking about it. I haven't used this controller in a long time. I used my kid's small controller that I bought instead. I thought to try to submit a claim again so I went to initiate it. It was a week before that year mark. All I did was click on the chat button and explain to someone I wanted to make a claim on it. He said I couldn't yet but whoever was on the end of the chat helped me go ahead and do that.

The rep was really good. I've had bad experiences with chat representatives and customer service before where they're busy with multiple things and they don't respond quickly. But the rep was incredibly fast. Almost before I'd respond and hit enter, he could type a response within seconds. He knew what I was talking about and how to help me. I got the claim in when I was thinking I'd probably abandon it and try again in a week when it's been past that year mark. In this case, SquareTrade saved me from having to spend the full $70 that these controllers cost. That was valuable.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I went to the store and they have little pamphlets next to the TV that say SquareTrade. The person at the register also said something about getting a warranty. It made perfect sense. I was already gonna spend so much for a TV. So it's probably smarter to get the warranty. The screen started having a shadow, like a burn mark in the middle of the screen all the way up. It's starting to get worse over the last few weeks. It's like someone put a pole in front of the TV and there's a black shadow.

When we called SquareTrade, they said they were gonna need some things to start the claim. They said we need the original original receipt but I told them that was impossible because I bought the TV three years ago. So they said that I could go in the store and get a printout of it. They gave me a checklist of what I was gonna need. We went into Costco and we got the original receipt and then they gave us the SquareTrade information. I scanned and emailed over what they asked for.

In the beginning, they gave me two options for a TV. They told me to choose a TV and that the options were both gonna be great. I took their word for it and said okay, and I chose the TV without really looking into it. I was reading up on it and the last four digits just showed where the TV was made. So it was the exact same TV and the only thing that was different was location. I push the button and about two hours later I get an email saying that my TV was ordered. Then I looked at the specs and this TV was not even close to our TV. Our TV was top of the line. But that was my fault. I should've done more due diligence in looking into that, but I didn't. I called SquareTrade and told them that they needed to stop that shipping because the TV that they were sending out was not up to standard. It was not what I paid for. They were sending me an entry-level TV.

They said that they were gonna work on it and they ended up sending a TV, and then they reversed the TV. So they called UPS to get back. Then when UPS got back, I called SquareTrade again and asked for more options that they have. They said they were gonna work on it. Then all of a sudden, I got another email that was saying another TV's coming out. But I never picked it at all. I was dealing with this lady named Marty who ended up being a great person. She's a supervisor for the warranty support team of SquareTrade. She ended up handling everything. She told me these people didn't read the notes and they ended up sending me another TV thinking that I needed a TV. Marty ended up going above and beyond, and she said they stopped that TV from coming and the second TV. They ended up refunding the amount for the TV so they would get another TV.

It ended up working out. But it was a little lengthy. It was about a two-week process and it was stressful of what was going on because it should be easier than that. If someone has a top of the line TV, don't try to sell them a Daewoo for a Samsung. If I give you a Lexus, don't give me a Honda back. But Marty did an excellent job.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

It's been a few years now, but I'll write all I can remember. I bought two identical TVs from Costco, I can't remember the size now, but they were both Vizios. A little over two years in one of the TVs started acting up. Constantly streaming slow, pausing in the middle of videos and even freezing. It got to the point where it had to be hard reset almost daily which caused it to need all info re-entered (Wifi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) This was a major problem for my child cause that was all the TV was used for, she had no cable or ability to watch physical media. I switched TVs, since my other child wasn't using her TV at the time, but within a week the same thing happened.

I contacted SquareTrade, which directed me to contact Vizio and dialed them up as well. I updated the TVs and some other software things (not sure exactly what). I believe they had me wait a day to see it that fixed, but it didn't. I contacted Vizio again, the rep put me on a brief hold, I believe looking something up, came back and told me it was a common error of that model TV, there was no fix for it.

Vizio contacted SquareTrade, and I remember being on the call with both representatives, basically confirming information. Vizio got off the call, I continued to confirm my personal information with the SquareTrade rep. I was sent an email with the specs of the replacement TVs to review. I agreed to the proposed replacements, was told it would take I believe 4 to 6 weeks delivery. Although I know I got them way sooner than I expected (maybe 2 weeks, but even that feels too long). The new TVs had the remainder of the warranty transferred to it, but there was never a need to use it.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I got the warranty at Walmart when I purchased my Lenovo all-in-one computer. When I had questions about the warranty, a lot of the cashiers were not trained thoroughly to explain, like they really had to pull pamphlet up and there was a lot of, “I think it does this or you should be able to do this.” There was no basic guarantee. But because I know about it, I took it anyway.

I was using the computer one day and Lenovo sent me a message telling me that there's an update that needed to be installed. I tried to install the update, then once it was done, it asked me to restart the computer. But when I did the restart, the hard drive crashed because it wouldn’t boot up anymore. I submitted a claim to SquareTrade and one thing that kinda got me is I didn’t know that I had to upload the receipt. The cashier didn’t tell me that within a certain amount of time, I need to upload the receipt so I wouldn’t have to keep it. Because when my computer acted up and I went to the pamphlet that they gave me to try to file the claim, the receipt was pretty much faded out. So I didn’t have a lot of information that the website asked me about. Luckily, it was just some numbers that I was able to see through the receipt. I put it in, and they were able to find my warranty. After that, the process was kinda easy.

The only thing I didn’t like was when I discussed the claims for the computer, they told me that the warranty doesn’t cover software issues and they told me I had to call the company. When I called the company, they told me I had to pay them like $100 just for them to give me some type of feedback on what to do. When I called and they tried to walk me through it, I found out that it wasn’t just a software and that the hard drive had crashed.

The warranty portion and the customer service were fine. They helped me right away. They explained everything to me. They sound like they were concerned. They wanted to hurry up and get the issue taken care of. But it's part of their rules that they have to transfer the call over to technical support to try to diagnose the computer. But the tech support kinda felt like they didn’t wanna help me. They kept trying to push me off to either Lenovo or they tried to get me to purchase the flash drive for the operating system through Amazon. They pretty much treated me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.

I had to call a couple of times. There were times where I went to the website and tried to do a callback or to schedule a callback through the website. I did it a few times and it wouldn’t go through, so I literally had to call them myself with the 1-800 number. The technical support is the poor part. But the customer service and SquareTrade themselves were great.

Once I found out that the hard drive had crashed, I called back SquareTrade to edit the claim, and once I told them the issue, the process was pretty fast. They mailed me a FedEx box with a label. They told me to package the computer and send it back, or I could go to a repair center, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. I sent it off and I got it back yesterday.

When I got the computer back, the bottom of the computer is cracked. The speaker is cracked. I had to squeeze some pieces back together, like I had to put a little bit of tape on it. I took pictures of it. So I did a survey and explained what happened. I also did a claim through FedEx but it's so much paperwork they want me to do to try to file that claim.

SquareTrade installed the operating system back, but none of the drivers or software that Lenovo originally had in the computer that came factory installed is there anymore. It's basically a blank Windows computer. They wiped the computer completely. I don’t have any software. There's no Lenovo software in the computer at all. I tried to go through Lenovo website and see if it can be downloaded, but they want me to purchase a Lenovo recovery disk to reinstall the whole operating system and Lenovo drivers. But that’s 30 bucks plus shipping. It's like one thing after the other. Also, the power button is real shaky. In fact, I have to press it hard just to cut the computer on.

Original review: April 1, 2020

We have all kinds protection plans from SquareTrade because we're a business. We always buy a lot of things - the computers, printers - so we always try to protect everything. My HP printer was spreading the color. It won't give me a clear result and it gets lines every time. At first, I went to Office Depot because I lost my receipt. I got my warranty uploaded but I didn't submit my receipt at the time. And then, I went to Office Depot and they said, "We cannot pull out. That's a year old." So then, we called my accountant because we have a business and had all the data on the file. So, I just pulled up all the files about the date and everything, then I saw it.

SquareTrade tried to help me out to fix it but they could not. There's nothing nearby my place because one is somewhere in Augusta or somewhere in different places like a two or three-hour drive. And then the rep said, "Okay, let me try something else." He put me on hold and then he said, "Okay, let me see what I can do." And then he just put me and say, "Okay, you can just replace it because we won't be able to help you out somehow."

I got not the full amount because I went with the amount and I lost it because I used their amount. It's not much but still, I had to put some from my pocket when I bought another one. It's good because they change something on the printer every other two years. If you're losing $200, it's not bad because still, you got 200 more in a new one. It's a give and take. The new one is a better, different version, and you a lot of upgrade things - it's easy, emails directly from the scanning and everything.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I bought a Square Trade warranty on eBay to cover a drone part I bought from an individual on ebay. The drone part was listed as new but appeared to be used and was defective. When I tried to use the ST warranty they rejected my claim and told me I had to go to the manufacturer of the part for a refund. SO WHAT DID I PAY square trade FOR? Then when I tried to close my account they refused and said I had to go to ebay for a refund. When I called ebay they told me I had to go to square trade for my refund. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. Square trade you should be ashamed of yourself. WORST BUSINESS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hello Viktor,

We apologize for any difficulty you experienced with your claim. Almost all Squaretrade warranties also utilize the manufacturer warranty for the relevant product, though we understand there are circumstances where the manufacturer will refuse service. In those cases Squaretrade can step in to help, and after reading your review one of our specialists reached out to determine a resolution.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and your time speaking with us today.

KM

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The cost of SquareTrade's protection plan was a reasonable amount. I had glasses that were run over by a car and got totaled. SquareTrade refunded my purchase in about a week so I can buy another pair.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

My two year warranty was days from expiring. My Roku started acting up. Then stopped working. I got my warranty out and got hold of the company. They explained I could have a replaced product or check. I explained how I wanted to upgrade. They put the check in my account. They sent a new product, a better version. I am very very pleased.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

The Samsung TV I bought on Black Friday was unrepairable. It was a $500 TV that I got for about $130. But because I got it for such a great deal, SquareTrade couldn't honor replacing it. They could replace it with the same size but it would just be a lesser quality TV. I talked to the highest management that I could and all that they could do was refund me the full amount that I paid and left me out of a TV. I couldn't really buy anything for that price at that time. It was pretty bad.

When you go to buy a TV at Walmart and sell you a warranty, they don't give you the details. They just tell you and if the TV can’t be fixed, the warranty will replace it as long as you have the receipt and everything matches up. They don't tell you that because you've purchased this TV on a Black Friday for $100, they won't honor the warranty that you're paying for.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hello Joshua,

We apologize for any dissatisfaction with your recent experience with us.

Squaretrade always does our best to offer repair and replacement resolutions as our first priority, and a reimbursement is typically an option reserved for atypical situations. We have designed SquareTrade protection plans to cover our customers up to the amount spent on the item. The availability of the resolutions is based on several factors, such as the cost of repair versus the purchase amount of the device, whether we can source a comparable item within the limit of liability, and so on.

At this time, one of our specialists has reached out to you to provide additional assistance and support.

MS

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

Sent in for repair, came back like new. Within a week my daughter had her computer back. Also her charger was not charging her Chrome book, they sent a whole new charger and it works great. Very happy with the service we received, would recommend to others.

Allstate Protection Plans Company Information