formerly SquareTrade

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.32/5

When your stuff breaks, it's our mission to make you good again. Allstate Protection Plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

BOTTOM LINE

SquareTrade offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

PROS
  • Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage
CONS
  • May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were broken… SquareTrade showed me that they were concerned and because of what happened and the red tape in my situation, they

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy customer. Very easy to work with!!

What is SquareTrade?

SquareTrade’s device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by SquareTrade’s warranties:

Smartphones
SquareTrade’s smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to SquareTrade using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year SquareTrade warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using SquareTrade’s mail-in service.
Appliances
SquareTrade covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
SquareTrade provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

SquareTrade’s coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does SquareTrade warranty work?

You can file a claim with SquareTrade online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a SquareTrade representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If SquareTrade is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does SquareTrade cost?

SquareTrade warranty costs vary depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for SquareTrade coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
Smartphones$8.99 - $19.99 a month$25 - $149
Laptops$89.99 to $549.99$0 - $75
iPads$109 to $259$0 - $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

SquareTrade FAQ

Does SquareTrade repair or replace?
SquareTrade repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does SquareTrade insurance work?
SquareTrade repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a SquareTrade warranty?
SquareTrade warranties can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact SquareTrade?
You can contact SquareTrade by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy a SquareTrade warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is SquareTrade worth it?

SquareTrade’s warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend SquareTrade as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

SquareTrade is a reputable insurance company. It warranties a lot of technology products, especially used ones. That gives a little bit of comfort in case something should go wrong with the product, you'd be able to call them and see what they wanted to do about it, maybe repair it or replace it, or give a couple of bucks back on a used item. Just like insurance, you want to be protected a little bit. It came with some information and you read it, then print it and put it away, and hope you don't have to use it. In some cases, it gives you real peace of mind.

We bought a new Mr. Coffee about a year and a half ago and it gave up a few days ago. We had to get another one. We pulled out the warranty and called SquareTrade. We were transferred to somebody and they said that they wouldn't want to repair it unless we were insistent on that. But they sent us a prorated amount of 20 bucks for the coffee pot. I told them to just take it and we'd go and buy another one. It was as simple as that. When we bought the new coffee pot, we got a two-year warranty with it instead of just the one-year warranty that came with it just in case something would befall it.

I believe in SquareTrade. I've used their warranty processes on several items over the years. This was one of the rare occasions when we actually had to call them about it and it was a very easy and pleasant experience. The people were just the way you would want somebody to say, “Jeez, we're sorry, this happened,” and offered us a couple solutions, one of which was pack it up and send it back.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I put an extended coverage on an Xbox One wireless controller. SquareTrade was offered at the tech stand when I bought it at Target. It was my sixth controller that I've purchased over the years. They usually don't last. The manufacturer's warranty from Microsoft covers 90 days. Their thumbsticks usually go bad after 90 days to where you have a wandering cursor on the screen. I haven't had very good luck with buying one and having it last for beyond that 90-day period.

One of the buttons randomly stopped working the way it's supposed to. It's the right bumper on the controller. You got to push it and it works sometimes. But it's like one out of every four pushes. I tried to submit a claim. It was a couple of months after the original warranty had run out. Then it was telling me that usually these warranties last for a year. I knew it wasn't a year but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to submit the claim any further. Then I got close to a year and I was thinking about it. I haven't used this controller in a long time. I used my kid's small controller that I bought instead. I thought to try to submit a claim again so I went to initiate it. It was a week before that year mark. All I did was click on the chat button and explain to someone I wanted to make a claim on it. He said I couldn't yet but whoever was on the end of the chat helped me go ahead and do that.

The rep was really good. I've had bad experiences with chat representatives and customer service before where they're busy with multiple things and they don't respond quickly. But the rep was incredibly fast. Almost before I'd respond and hit enter, he could type a response within seconds. He knew what I was talking about and how to help me. I got the claim in when I was thinking I'd probably abandon it and try again in a week when it's been past that year mark. In this case, SquareTrade saved me from having to spend the full $70 that these controllers cost. That was valuable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I went to the store and they have little pamphlets next to the TV that say SquareTrade. The person at the register also said something about getting a warranty. It made perfect sense. I was already gonna spend so much for a TV. So it's probably smarter to get the warranty. The screen started having a shadow, like a burn mark in the middle of the screen all the way up. It's starting to get worse over the last few weeks. It's like someone put a pole in front of the TV and there's a black shadow.

When we called SquareTrade, they said they were gonna need some things to start the claim. They said we need the original original receipt but I told them that was impossible because I bought the TV three years ago. So they said that I could go in the store and get a printout of it. They gave me a checklist of what I was gonna need. We went into Costco and we got the original receipt and then they gave us the SquareTrade information. I scanned and emailed over what they asked for.

In the beginning, they gave me two options for a TV. They told me to choose a TV and that the options were both gonna be great. I took their word for it and said okay, and I chose the TV without really looking into it. I was reading up on it and the last four digits just showed where the TV was made. So it was the exact same TV and the only thing that was different was location. I push the button and about two hours later I get an email saying that my TV was ordered. Then I looked at the specs and this TV was not even close to our TV. Our TV was top of the line. But that was my fault. I should've done more due diligence in looking into that, but I didn't. I called SquareTrade and told them that they needed to stop that shipping because the TV that they were sending out was not up to standard. It was not what I paid for. They were sending me an entry-level TV.

They said that they were gonna work on it and they ended up sending a TV, and then they reversed the TV. So they called UPS to get back. Then when UPS got back, I called SquareTrade again and asked for more options that they have. They said they were gonna work on it. Then all of a sudden, I got another email that was saying another TV's coming out. But I never picked it at all. I was dealing with this lady named Marty who ended up being a great person. She's a supervisor for the warranty support team of SquareTrade. She ended up handling everything. She told me these people didn't read the notes and they ended up sending me another TV thinking that I needed a TV. Marty ended up going above and beyond, and she said they stopped that TV from coming and the second TV. They ended up refunding the amount for the TV so they would get another TV.

It ended up working out. But it was a little lengthy. It was about a two-week process and it was stressful of what was going on because it should be easier than that. If someone has a top of the line TV, don't try to sell them a Daewoo for a Samsung. If I give you a Lexus, don't give me a Honda back. But Marty did an excellent job.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

It's been a few years now, but I'll write all I can remember. I bought two identical TVs from Costco, I can't remember the size now, but they were both Vizios. A little over two years in one of the TVs started acting up. Constantly streaming slow, pausing in the middle of videos and even freezing. It got to the point where it had to be hard reset almost daily which caused it to need all info re-entered (Wifi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) This was a major problem for my child cause that was all the TV was used for, she had no cable or ability to watch physical media. I switched TVs, since my other child wasn't using her TV at the time, but within a week the same thing happened.

I contacted SquareTrade, which directed me to contact Vizio and dialed them up as well. I updated the TVs and some other software things (not sure exactly what). I believe they had me wait a day to see it that fixed, but it didn't. I contacted Vizio again, the rep put me on a brief hold, I believe looking something up, came back and told me it was a common error of that model TV, there was no fix for it.

Vizio contacted SquareTrade, and I remember being on the call with both representatives, basically confirming information. Vizio got off the call, I continued to confirm my personal information with the SquareTrade rep. I was sent an email with the specs of the replacement TVs to review. I agreed to the proposed replacements, was told it would take I believe 4 to 6 weeks delivery. Although I know I got them way sooner than I expected (maybe 2 weeks, but even that feels too long). The new TVs had the remainder of the warranty transferred to it, but there was never a need to use it.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I got the warranty at Walmart when I purchased my Lenovo all-in-one computer. When I had questions about the warranty, a lot of the cashiers were not trained thoroughly to explain, like they really had to pull pamphlet up and there was a lot of, “I think it does this or you should be able to do this.” There was no basic guarantee. But because I know about it, I took it anyway.

I was using the computer one day and Lenovo sent me a message telling me that there's an update that needed to be installed. I tried to install the update, then once it was done, it asked me to restart the computer. But when I did the restart, the hard drive crashed because it wouldn’t boot up anymore. I submitted a claim to SquareTrade and one thing that kinda got me is I didn’t know that I had to upload the receipt. The cashier didn’t tell me that within a certain amount of time, I need to upload the receipt so I wouldn’t have to keep it. Because when my computer acted up and I went to the pamphlet that they gave me to try to file the claim, the receipt was pretty much faded out. So I didn’t have a lot of information that the website asked me about. Luckily, it was just some numbers that I was able to see through the receipt. I put it in, and they were able to find my warranty. After that, the process was kinda easy.

The only thing I didn’t like was when I discussed the claims for the computer, they told me that the warranty doesn’t cover software issues and they told me I had to call the company. When I called the company, they told me I had to pay them like $100 just for them to give me some type of feedback on what to do. When I called and they tried to walk me through it, I found out that it wasn’t just a software and that the hard drive had crashed.

The warranty portion and the customer service were fine. They helped me right away. They explained everything to me. They sound like they were concerned. They wanted to hurry up and get the issue taken care of. But it's part of their rules that they have to transfer the call over to technical support to try to diagnose the computer. But the tech support kinda felt like they didn’t wanna help me. They kept trying to push me off to either Lenovo or they tried to get me to purchase the flash drive for the operating system through Amazon. They pretty much treated me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.

I had to call a couple of times. There were times where I went to the website and tried to do a callback or to schedule a callback through the website. I did it a few times and it wouldn’t go through, so I literally had to call them myself with the 1-800 number. The technical support is the poor part. But the customer service and SquareTrade themselves were great.

Once I found out that the hard drive had crashed, I called back SquareTrade to edit the claim, and once I told them the issue, the process was pretty fast. They mailed me a FedEx box with a label. They told me to package the computer and send it back, or I could go to a repair center, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. I sent it off and I got it back yesterday.

When I got the computer back, the bottom of the computer is cracked. The speaker is cracked. I had to squeeze some pieces back together, like I had to put a little bit of tape on it. I took pictures of it. So I did a survey and explained what happened. I also did a claim through FedEx but it's so much paperwork they want me to do to try to file that claim.

SquareTrade installed the operating system back, but none of the drivers or software that Lenovo originally had in the computer that came factory installed is there anymore. It's basically a blank Windows computer. They wiped the computer completely. I don’t have any software. There's no Lenovo software in the computer at all. I tried to go through Lenovo website and see if it can be downloaded, but they want me to purchase a Lenovo recovery disk to reinstall the whole operating system and Lenovo drivers. But that’s 30 bucks plus shipping. It's like one thing after the other. Also, the power button is real shaky. In fact, I have to press it hard just to cut the computer on.

Resolution response: April 7, 2021

I got a call and got an excellent resolve for my problem. They are reimbursing me for my tv and I feel like they really did care about my problem.

Original review: April 6, 2021

Horrible experience! I will never buy any insurance through this company again! The parts for my tv did not exist so the repair shop did what they could but it still didn't work and because of technicalities. I ended up with a horrible tv that doesn't look good at all, and Squaretrade refuses to do anything about.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hello Amber,

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with the repair of your TV.

SquareTrade does our best to provide our consumers with efficient and effective resolutions in order to make the claim experience as hassle-free as possible. Our local repair resolution allows the consumer to locate a repair shop within their area for quick and easy service without having to mail in their device. This resolution allows the consumer to keep their original item and potentially preserve their warranty in the event another issue arises. We understand this has not been the most efficient resolution for your item, this is something we take great concern to address.

One of our specialists directly reached out to you to discuss the situation. We hope to speak with you soon and appreciate bringing this to our attention.

KM

Original review: April 2, 2021

The most recent that I used for the claim was with the PlayStation 4. The issue had something to do with the HDMI port and they ended up fixing it. The instructions are pretty clear when I go online to do the claim. They send something that says how to get it to them. The only drawback that I've experienced with them is when they do fix something, I don't recall ever being told like what was wrong and what they fixed. They just fix it and send it back. When I sent in my Apple Watch, it was the same process. They tell you to send it, you send it, they fix it, and it comes back. But I've saved a lot of money with them because the manufacturer’s warranty was already gone when I had claims for the PlayStation and the Apple Watch.

Original review: April 1, 2021

The PlayStation wasn’t brand-new but it wasn’t saving. SquareTrade had to replace the hard drive. The process was great and we got very good communication of what was going on. We shipped out the PlayStation and they said they sent it back. I was very impressed. So, it made us even think more to get it for anything else that we would buy in the future, because the process went so well. It took probably two weeks but it seemed quicker. We've never had a claim in many insurance coverages with SquareTrade but it’s worth something.

Original review: March 31, 2021

The laptop came out good. My daughter spilled coffee on the keyboard so it wasn't working. Now it is. But on the front screen on the left corner, there was some cover on that screen and a small piece is missing. I didn't reach back to Squaretrade because it is a hassle to send the laptop back and bring it back. But I would encourage everybody to buy a warranty. It's helpful to have it. For extra three years, it's worth it.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I bought three iMini Pens and two of them have gone bad. I used Squaretrade and the lady I talked to was very professional. She took care of me right away. Squaretrade sent me $17 back for them but I can't buy them for less than about $30 now. I bought SquareTrade so when the iMinis go bad, I can get them fixed or replaced but I couldn't do either one of those. I'm gonna lose about $12 on each one of those plus the shipping cost. It's better than getting nothing but it's not enough money to replace what I bought.

Allstate Protection Plans Company Information