ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.69/5
Based on 1,064 ratings submitted in the last year

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

SquareTrade Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We purchased a SquareTrade protection plan for my Note 9 phone. At the time, it was at Sam’s Club and I had gotten a good deal with getting 300 on a visa card to get the Note 9. When they told me that it was $99-protection, which is cheaper than AT&T would be if I were to do their monthly plan, I took it. However, I was misinformed on the aspect that the phone can get broken twice for two years, once every year. I didn't realize that I had to pay $139 on top of my $99, which still is cheaper. It was originally explained that it was $99 for two years. I was told that if your phone has any issues or breaks in those 2 years two times, you can get it replaced for free. Their rep were very nice though. It was a Sam’s Club associate who deals with the phones and the SquareTrade with it.

My phone fell on the rocks in the winter and cracked. I let it go but as I was listening to music on my phone, my screen just went blank. If somebody was Facebooking me, it’d still beep, but it was a black screen, so that was why I had to get it replaced right away. My husband filed a claim online and the process was very easy. I wasn’t waiting for a new phone because all my information was on this phone ,even my calendar, and I didn’t iCloud any of it. I was very upset. I have doctor’s appointments and I don’t even know when they are. But I took the SIM out and put it in my old S7 phone. So, I just brought back my calendar, which was good. But in the meantime, my husband found a location that does SquareTrade out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And then, once they got the screen in, we went down and had it replaced.

It wasn’t SquareTrade's fault, but my S Pens wouldn’t fit in the screen because that’s where it clicks in. And my phone, I don’t know whatever screen they sent me. Supposedly, it was new from Samsung, but it did not work. My internet was in and out and I was getting dropped phone calls. I didn’t have service where I always have service. Thank god I was getting another screen in because of the S Pen. So, that whole situation was ridiculous. I wasn't too happy. I had called SquareTrade to say I had to make another three-hour trip to Harrisburg and I wanted it reimbursed because it wasn’t my fault that SquareTrade and Samsung gave me a bad screen. And the lady I spoke with laughed when I said, “Of course, you're not gonna do nothing.” So, I hung up on her. I was so mad. But I just chalked it up as people are ignorant. Of course, any company’s gonna try to get out of doing any more than they have to. That’s how it is.

I even dealt with the people that did the screen replacing and the manager in the background was a jerk. I told the employee on the phone that I heard the manager on the background. He’s supposed to be professional. It ain’t my fault that I brought my phone to them. It now needs to be replaced, and now, they're not telling me when I’m getting my screen. One minute they're saying, ‘He ordered it Saturday,’ but now, they don’t know if it was ordered.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have a DVD tablet which wasn't working. That time, I could see black lines and I couldn't cut it off. Initially, I called HSN but they said that I should call SquareTrade. I called SquareTrade to put in a claim for my DVD tablet but then their reps gave me a bunch of runaround talking about how I don't have a warranty. I buy a warranty for anything that's over $100. I called HSN back and they called SquareTrade. What I got was a return label so I sent out my DVD tablet thinking it was going to SquareTrade. However, the whole package came back to me because there was a lithium battery in it that couldn't be sent. Furthermore, the package was going to the wrong place, HSN.

So I called SquareTrade again and again their reps told me that I don't have a warranty. Thereafter, I talked to HSN again and their reps said that my warranty was canceled. I told the rep with whom I was speaking that I didn't cancel the warranty. She then said that it got canceled and that they put my money back in my account. I went to my back account and my records show where I paid for the insurance and that HSN and/or SquareTrade didn't give me my money back. When I called them again, another rep said that it was a mistake on their end and that my warranty was cancelled from there.

The first rep tried to ask me if I wanted her to give me my $27 back. I told her no because I bought the warranty. It's now way over a year later and she wanted to give my warranty money back. I called HSN again and they got other people. I bought the warranty and there's proof in my bank account. I also have my warranty paper. I purchased a three-year warranty for my DVD tablet for $23.07. Somebody would have to pay for it.

Even though I have a problem going on, I'd recommend SquareTrade and I love them. When stuff is in the right, I have no problem with them. They get my stuff sent. If they can’t fix it, they send my money back. I bought a Motorola phone and it was horrible. I can't text on it because it would stop. I couldn't talk on it either. It just goes crazy but then the next minute, it would work. SquareTrade handled that quickly. I got a new phone coming. So, I know that they're not the problem.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I bought a TV at Costco and they suggested that I get a SquareTrade warranty on it. It was two and a half years old, and all of a sudden, one-quarter of the screen started going dark. I called SquareTrade to file a claim. I went through a voice menu which was very confusing. Especially when I had a recall, they would say, “To do an existing claim,” and then I’d hit that and then they would go through this whole thing and give me this list of stuff I didn’t want. Then they'd ask what kind of appliance it was and when I did that, it was just like a voicemail jail. And the last one, instead of just “Stay on the line and get a representative,” it was “Go back to the main menu,” so I had to go through it again. But once I got to talk to people, they were all very nice.

I explained everything to them and then they switched me to the TV department when I was saying it was TV and what the problem was. And then I had to explain everything over again. They didn’t transfer all that knowledge somehow and so they could do better at that. Then they did a lot of diagnostics over the telephone which was fine but I didn’t realize how involved I was gonna be at that time. I’m almost 80 but I’m actually pretty tech savvy for my age. They asked for the serial number, and the serial number is on the back of the TV and it is so tiny. I had to get my glasses and a flashlight in order to get it. I had to move the TV but I have a stand that has sliders so that wasn’t too bad.

I had unplugged everything and then later on, replugged it in. I had four things to unplug in the back of the set, and there were about nine different plugs. I managed to get them all in the same place where they were. Then SquareTrade said that the TV couldn't be repaired and they would send me a new one but they wanted three pictures taken of the screen under certain circumstances and email those pictures to them. I got my grandson to do that and SquareTrade got back to me within a day saying they would do it immediately.

We ordered another TV and SquareTrade said that it would be delivered on such date and that I would hear from Best Buy. They gave me choices between the three and I picked one and they verified that in the email that it would be coming on the 16th. On the 14th, somebody from Best Buy called me and left a message. I called the lady back and she verified the TV that I had chosen, as well as it would be delivered on the 16th, between seven and one. I asked her if they would really come at 7 AM as I don’t really wanna get up that early. She said they would call me the next day and give me a smaller window. They called and said they were gonna be here between 10:30 and 12:30 on Saturday, the 16th.

I made arrangements for my grandson to be here to put it together once they came and set it up. I stayed home the entire time, didn’t go any place. By 1:15, I thought it was kinda goofy so I called Best Buy and got somebody on Geek Squad. He looked at all kinds of screens and then he said that the TV was not available anymore. When they went to load the truck on Friday night, and I had gotten a call at 7 that they weren’t gonna be here the next day so sometime after that, they found out that they didn’t even have that set. He asked if anyone called me and I said no one. It took them two weeks to figure out they didn’t have that one, and he said this was from Best Buy, that he couldn’t do anything about it. I have to deal with SquareTrade again.

I started all over. I called SquareTrade on a Saturday and got someone. He told me that the TV guys weren’t there and so he couldn't do a lot that da but he'd put me on high priority for Monday morning. They contacted me on Monday morning and I explained what happened. They redid it and said that they would take care of it. On Tuesday, they said that they couldn't find the TV we picked out originally but they got such and such a one and asked me if I could authorize that, which I did, and then I got a confirmation on that. They would be getting this TV from Costco. It was more reliable ‘cause that was where I bought it to begin with, so that’s where it is now.

I wrote a letter back to SquareTrade saying I was upset about what happened. I told them to tell Best Buy that computers today do a very good job with inventory control. As soon as SquareTrade said I picked this TV, that should have gone into Best Buy's inventory control. If they had one, it would go out of inventory, or it would come back in a day or two saying that they don’t have it, but nothing at all. This woman from Best Buy that I talked to that verified with me should have at least got two days to figure out if they have one. If they would have known anytime in those two weeks, they could have let SquareTrade know and I could have picked out a new one a week ago. But overall, I'm satisfied with SquareTrade.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I had bought a Tenda brand AC18 router from eBay in March, 2018. It worked great for 2 months, and then suddenly bricked. I tried everything to revive it, but nothing would work. I called Tenda for an RMA since SquareTrade suggests dealing with the manufacturer in the first year instead of filing a claim. Tenda denied my RMA on the grounds that it was sold to me on eBay, and they're not an 'authorized distributor'. Despite it was brand new and I have returned new items bought from eBay to other manufacturers with no problem. They also took a couple of weeks to respond to emails. But they suggested going trying SquareTrade again so I did just that.

After using the live chat to talk to a rep and submitting the requested emails I exchanged with Tenda, SquareTrade had no problem honoring my claim and sending me the full amount. However, at first they will try to send you some lesser amount than what your purchase price was, saying "this value is determined by the system dependent upon the time when the item was purchased and the issue that is being faced with the item."

I told them I didn't understand and after asking how it all works since I thought the coverage was for what I paid on the item. They said they'll talk to their supervisor and thankfully they decided to give me the full purchase price back in the form of 2 checks (one for lesser amount offered and the other for the remaining amount to purchase price, which don't come on the same day, I had to wait a week for the second). I guess I can understand from a general business perspective, they will try to hold onto as much money as they can. You just don't want to be a pushover for their initial offer if it is less than what you paid.

The only other problem I have with SquareTrade is that their site is needlessly simplistic, and otherwise not very intuitive. There was no process to file a claim within 1 year of manufacturer warranty except through the live chat which only shows up on certain pages. Other than that, I got covered without issue. Tenda on the other hand, not so much.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I called SquareTrade when my computer just turned off. The options were either I send it in or they send the technician out. They sent it to one of the technicians that they have in my area. The technicians would have never called me, so I called them because I got their number from SquareTrade. But the technician said that they didn't handle my kind of computer. So I called SquareTrade and told them what happened, and they apologized. I asked them to send me their database and all that pieces of equipment that this company handles. They were kinda in and out of what happened. But the guy said that they would just get my box right away and have it sent out overnighted.

When I got the box, they sent the Styrofoam that wrapped around the computer, but the box wasn't big enough. The computer would squeeze in without Styrofoam around it. I called SquareTrade back, and the guy was apologetic and he was right on it. He told me to take it to FedEx store because they already have the FedEx label on the box, and have them wrap it, then send them my receipt, and they would reimburse me. I've sent the receipt, but haven't received the reimbursement yet. But the computer has been sent in. I got an email telling me that they've received it, and that they would fix it in the next two to five days.

When I received the computer, I turned it on and it worked. So far, so good. SquareTrade was good in handling the situation. Everyone was apologetic and they were right on it. They did not give me the runaround or try to cock me into thinking it was my fault. I knew upfront that if they can't fix the computer, they'll reimburse me what I paid for it so I can buy another one. But SquareTrade should have known the functions of the computer, and they should have known what their technicians can or can't handle.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

We have a 2.5 year old Hitachi tv that had vertical lines appear on the screen. SquareTrade gave us a 3 day run around saying they couldn't read the receipt and told us to go to Sam's to reprint it (from 2017!). We argued and finally got to speak with a tv technician specialist (so they say). He had us send pics of the screen which we did. We received an immediate response that the screen was cracked which voided the warranty. This is ridiculous, it doesn't get touched or moved and there is no crack! We will pursue this with Sam's Corporate and the BBB. It was a 4 year extended warranty and they won't even attempt to help us. Outsourced overseas and horrible attitude and service.

Hello Lisa,

As an overview, the policy covering your product was a Standard plan, which protects against hardware and electrical failures due to normal usage. This plan does not cover physical damage.

Our picture review team has determined that the issue related to the TV is physical. This is the reason that we unable to approve the claim.

This information is detailed within the terms and conditions warranty. This warranty contract can be provided at any time upon request via email or hard copy.

Thanks,

JR

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

I bought a television refurbished so I made sure to get Squaretrade's protection plan to supplement the return policy. Lo-and-behold 131 days later the item totally dies. TCL and Walmart would not cover it so I went to SquareTrade. It took a couple emails but I finally got a callback. The rep was extremely kind (as are most of the reps I have spoken with), and told me that the claim would be honored and that I would be receiving an equivalent set via a link email. I checked the email and all of the Tvs displayed were far inferior to my set. Even at the refurbished price these televisions were $100 -$150 less than what I paid. Not even retail, just what I actually paid. I emailed SquareTrade telling them this twice then called them the next day. The rep told me to wait until the next day and keep checking. I still got the same results through the link.

The next day I called back and was on hold for an hour until I hung up. Calling again got an error and hangup. So I waited till a couple hours later called back again and they said that they were manually locating me an equivalent television and to hold off for 24 hours. 2 hours later they emailed me saying they would just send a check. The amount was not disclosed so I called again today to find out that I had lost the money I spent on the plan as well as the money I spent on tax.

The whole process was exhausting and took days of calling and emailing and going between different companies for me to only lose a lot of money as an end result. I learned my lesson not to by refurbs, (I believe they shouldn't legally be allowed to be sold as well) and now I am have to get another Tv. And in my new search I look at the SquareTrade protection and think that it is just a waste on a new product because no matter what you will lose a lot of money.

Hello Austin,

We apologize for the experience.

Squaretrade provides repair, replacement, and reimbursement as our resolutions to address consumer claims.

These resolutions are detailed within the terms and conditions of our warranty contract.

Which are available depends on the item and issue. We do our best to accommodate customer's requests but these resolutions are ultimately determined per our discretion.

In this instance, since we were not able to source a replacement TV that was comparable to the unit that you had we moved the claim to reimbursement.

We once again apologize for the experience.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

When I purchased my iPhone X, I also purchased Square Trade warranty since it was an Allstate Brand. Few days back there was some sort of electrical failure and square trade got my mobile fixed. I am really happy with the customer service they provide. They will pick up the call in the first ring and will go over entire process very swiftly. Thank you very much. Happy to have the warranty covered with Square Trade.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I will never opt for a Square Trade warranty again and will shop differently as a result. I purchased their warranty on a phone we purchased on eBay. After a week of back and forth emails, calls, running to the Iphone store over an hour away to get proof that it doesn't fall under Manufacturer warranty, they are now saying it was accidental. My daughter woke up one morning to find her phone with a thick line on the iPhone display running vertically. It was charging the night prior, never dropped, no scratches, etc. In FLAWLESS condition otherwise. How is that accidental? To add insult, they are using a foreign company for customer service that you have to deal with a dialect and can't escalate your call. I'm told I'll hear from a manager. I highly doubt it.

SquareTrade response

We apologize for any dissatisfaction with our warranty.

Square Trade warranties are in place to ensure an item's functionality by providing repair, replacement or reimbursement.
    After verification of your account, we were able to see that a resolution has been reached.

Thank you for your time and patience while we reviewed the information provided and was able to offer the resolution.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Sent off a DVR from a security camera because the fan was intermittently working & overheating. The process was easy. Print a label, pack the items, & ship it. We got the DVR back in about a week with the paperwork attached to it saying the "Electrical Fan Replaced." Just looking at the fan it was not replaced. Called Squaretrade & they could not tell me if the fan was replaced or not. All she could tell me was to plug it in and see if it was working. She told me if I had a problem, to call them back but could not tell me anything about my repairs. Complete waste of time & money! Better off just buying another one.

SquareTrade response

We apologize for any dissatisfaction with our warranty.

Squaretrade does our best to ensure customer's items are properly serviced.

We do so by utilizing certified technicians who extensively test your product before and after the repair.

If the item returns from repair experiencing failures we have processes in place to have these concerns addressed.

Squaretrade has approved a new claim for your item and it is currently waiting for the unit to be sent in.

If our technicians are unable to repair your item we will follow up with you to explain alternative resolutions that can be provided, we again apologize for your experience.

JR

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information