3.86/5
  • 1 star
Based on 184 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

189 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Filed a claim in - regards to computer running hot and was told that I would be contacted in 3 to 5 days. I called them and explained that this is a business computer and can't wait that long and was taking it to a local company for repair and was advised to let them know the results. I called them the next day and told them that the repair had been made and the problem was found to be lack of Thermo Paste under the CPU and everything is working fine. The rep gave me a phone number to call to submit my invoice for reimbursement. After contacting SquareTrade I was informed that they do not reimburse for repairs and should have waited to be contacted so they could remotely fix my system. This was a hardware problem not software and was advised that since I already had it fixed they would not reimburse me as they don't reimburse for repairs and since that I had already fixed they would cancel my warranty and refund my money.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I purchased a warranty for my laptop online from SquareTrade.com. When my laptop was broken of course I tried using my warranty. Would you believe I was told-"your warranty is not valid as you should have been able to purchase it. We will send you a full refund." That was November 17, 2017. Today is December 5, 2017 and I still have not received my warranty. When I called to inquire about the refund I was told, "we did our part and submitted the refund, it is not our fault the card number is no longer valid."

Today, I tried to get the bank manager to contact SquareTrade to get information regarding the refund and she could not get through to "Amar" at extension **. Long story short... I still have not received a refund on something I apparently could not use in the first place. I could really use that refund to go towards the purchase of a new laptop!!!! Unfortunately I do not have a claim number but I do have a Plan ID# **. I know I have been rude but I'm only rude when they are rude to me. No one seems to understand that I have not received a refund and I cannot use my warranty.

Hi Shandrika,

We certainly understand your frustration and your account has been reviewed. We spoke with our accounting team and confirmed that the funds were placed back into your account. An email with proof of the transaction has been emailed to you as well.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Well, I used to like Square Trade and have purchased many over the years. No more. On November 13 I opened a claim for an Xbox 360 that had a drink spilled into it. I was sent a FedEx 2 day shipping label to send it from California to New York to be repaired. On 11/22 I received an email that my repaired Xbox was being sent back to me. It was delivered on 11/27. I was at home and immediately unpacked it and plugged it in. When I pressed the power switch it would glow green for about a second then go out. I tried to plug it into multiple outlets and the same thing always happened.

My frustration is in part because the console wasn't properly tested. I received instructions saying that the new Main Board had a different serial number than the console was expecting so I would need to go into settings and add it. Obviously I never got that far, but it adds to my feeling that the console wasn't properly tested before being sent back to me. A component was deemed to have failed and that component was replaced, but the whole thing wasn't properly tested.

I immediately called Square Trade to find a resolution. I was told that the only resolution was for me to send the Xbox back across the country. Frustrated, I waited several days and called again on Friday 12/1. I attempted to talk to a supervisor but was unable to. So, I awaited a shipping label so I could send the Xbox back. What I received instead was an email saying that Square Trade would ship me a box, a shipping label and return instructions.

I immediately called back and told the poor Customer Service Rep what had happened. He was confused because boxes are usually sent only for laptops. I told him I had been on the phone for 20 minutes and they clearly knew it was a gaming console. He put me on hold for a while, eventually coming back to tell me that they would email a shipping label but it would take 24 hours. So, I couldn't even ship the Xbox back. Did a label come on Saturday - no. Sunday - no. A label finally came on Monday and I immediately printed it and took the package to UPS, not looking closely at the label.

Today, I see that unlike the initial FedEx 2 day service, this shipment was UPS Ground and my XBox isn't scheduled to arrive in New York until 12/11. I will changed who I purchase this type of item from and I will not buy Square Trade coverage again. I will buy from a local retailer that offers a one-time replacement instead. Square Trade - you used to be easy to work with. No longer. Maybe you should consider not providing 'protection' for items that can't be repaired locally. Ironically, I live in a massive metropolitan area and could have driven it to get fixed if that had been an option. Never again.

Hi Kathy,

We certainly understand your frustration. When a device is received our depot will evaluate the item, repair it and test the item before sending it back to our customers. We did confirm that an additional claim has been filed to repair your device.

Once it is received, our technicians will repair it and send it back to you. We do apologize about the inconvenience.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I recently had an accident with my laptop and shipped it out to their repair facility. After 5 days, they said that they needed to order parts to complete the repairs. 5 Days later (10 Total), they said they needed an additional 5 days for additional parts they ordered. I asked to speak to a manager who then offered me the 5 day Warranty refund Guarantee. Notice that I had to ask for a manager for them to comply with the 5 day Guarantee warranty refund. The manager told me that they wanted for the repairs to complete (adding an additional 5 days) and that they are unable to proceed with a reimbursement until 10 days after the first 5 days (15 days total). Nowhere is this information listed on their website nor my contract.

In fact, the website states, "Once we receive your item at our depot, we will either repair and ship it back or reimburse you the replacement value of the item (usually the original item price) in 5 days or less.". In other words, don't expect for your item to be either repair or reimbursed in 5 days or less, If they cannot repair it within 5 days, expect to wait a total of 10 days before anything is done about your claim. If you want your contract to be fulfilled, expect to ask for a manager after 5 days and expect them to do everything in their power to prolong their service. I use my Laptop for work, after 10+ days, I was forced to purchase a new laptop. Now I'm on a limbo on whether or not I'll have to return this laptop. 5 Day Guarantee, 10 day... 15 day... What is it? DO NOT CLAIM THINGS YOU DO NOT WISH TO FULFILL!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I was told it would cover up to $129 of phone damage and that I would pay the remaining balance. So I got my phone fixed and it was $160. Thinking I'd get back $129 was foolish I guess. I got back $63. I've paid for this warranty for 13 months at 7.99 a month so paid 103.87 over those 13 months... I basically paid them for ME to pay for my phone to get fixed. Please don't waste your money on this. It's a bad idea!

Hi Casey,

The claim was approved for a local repair invoice, which means, the customer will pay for the repair and we will provide a reimbursement, minus the deductible. When the receipt was submitted, we reimbursed you for the repair, less the deductible, which is why you received $63.

We do apologize about any misunderstandings in regards to the deductible and claim process.

JD

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

We had two SquareTrade transactions within the last year. One was a microwave replacement and one was a television replacement and both transactions were satisfactory. However, on the television warranty, we would have preferred a different brand of television when they replaced it, but we weren’t given the option to choose the brand. The television that went out was a Vizio and Vizio confirmed that it was a failure within the television that could not be repaired. We were offered a Vizio replacement but the features of the new tv weren't compatible with our set up. It required a smartphone and we did not want to be tied to a smartphone to operate our television. So, we asked for a different brand, a Samsung because they had a mobile app that keeps everything up-to-date and it was within our warranty price range. But we were told no, and we ended up with a television that consumes more electricity than what we would have preferred.

Also, when we registered for the warranty, they requested the physical address for shipping, but when the issue was on a microwave, they opted to send us a check for our purchase price and they sent the check to the physical address. The post office sent it back because they don’t deliver mail to our physical address. The post office box was on our record. So, we had to notify SquareTrade that we hadn’t received the check. It turned out that they had to either reissue or entertain that the original check had not been cashed right away. It is frustrating. The post office has a cross-reference of the physical address to PO Box but they also don’t have to research that if they don’t have time. So, before our refund check is sent out, SquareTrade would benefit if they confirm the mailing address even if somebody had moved. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with our coverage and the transactions that we've had. SquareTrade warranty is certainly worth the cost.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I like putting warranty on stuff. Sometimes we don’t because the warranty passes and then the device gets damaged, but sometimes it’s good because you could get your stuff repaired back or, if not, they could refund you. And then you could go buy something else again that’s almost the same product. If they don’t have the same one, something better. So when I buy something, I ask for a warranty.

SquareTrade has been good because they covered the bag for the baby. I purchased the warranty from the store and the rep gave me their book. They said, “This is from the price where you cover for how much you have to pay". And then they gave me the number in case I needed to make a claim. They explained everything and paying for the purchase of the warranty was easy. When I submitted the claim for the baby bag, I called in and gave them all the information. It was quick and easy. They processed it and said they were going to send me a check in my mail. And they did everything that they said. I’m happy for the service that they provide.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I had read reviews about SquareTrade and I liked what I read. They also had a reasonable price. I purchased the warranty directly from the retailer where I purchased the product. I've spoken on the phone with a SquareTrade rep, and I have had "email conversations" with them as well. Everything was handled quickly and efficiently. The problem was taken care of and solved. I filed a claim online and a representative then contacted me for more information about the claim. I'm very happy with the company in general. Any time I've had to contact them for anything, they've been very helpful and things have been taken care of very quickly.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I have SquareTrade warranty on a tablet for my kid because kids drop and break things. I got it from the same vendor I got the tablet from and paid it all at once. I filed a claim with them for the screen on the tablet which I did over the phone and it was really easy. The reps were good and friendly and I had the tablet shipped and delivered back within five days. The service was good. It would cost a lot more to have it repaired out of my own pocket.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I am very pleased with my experience. My item was fixed and the wait time was fast. I like that they took care of me right away. I had issues when trying to do it online and when I called them they helped me right away.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I called to file a claim for my office chair which developed a rip. The Claims representative was very understanding, and explained that the damage to my chair was covered by my SquareTrade warranty. My experience was completely hassle free. I received full reimbursement within 8 days.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

They only give you 7days, to send back replacement phone. I don't have my own transportation, so I must wait to get to the post office, therefore mine will be late. Give a person two weeks to return the phone. Other than that issue, the experience was very good. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Chair purchased from staples in 2015 and we bought a SquareTrade warranty at purchase. The chair recently broke at the pedestal and was irreparable. One call and a few questions regarding the damage and my claim was quickly settled. I had a check for the reimbursement of the chair within a week. I highly recommend SquareTrade.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I purchased a 5 year warranty from SquareTrade for my Samsung TV. After two years I started having an issue with the picture. I called SquareTrade and that had me run some tests and then asked me to submit pictures so their team could view and determine the next step. The next day they sent me an email stating they would replace the TV and sent me a link to TV options. I couldn't believe what they sent. My TV is a two year old 65" 8500 series Samsung cost $3000 and the replacements they sent were $850 dollar entry level TV's. I called this morning to let them know that I didn't think any of the two options were a good replacement option and was told that these were the options.

When asked what options of the TV's weren't correct I started to let Steve know and he would repeatedly tell me that these were NOT options that they consider for replacing my TV (they certainly were for me when I was selecting my new TV). I'm not sure what the next step is because I was hung up on after that. I'm sure whenever anyone buys these warranty like I did and you have to finally use them you would expect to have your product replaced with as like as possible even down to the manufacturer. If you have an iPhone and it’s covered under warranty would you expect an LG as a replacement or a iPhone? Very disappointed in the service and TV selection from SquareTrade.

Hi Steve,

Our goal is to provide our customers with a TV this is comparable to their original device and we do not base the replacement TV off of price, color or brand. We have a team that does extensive research to provide a replacement offer based off of the specifications of your original device.

Currently, an offer has been accepted and the TV has been ordered. The TV will be delivered within a few business days.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

From start to finish, my SquareTrade experience was very professional. I reached the right person for help without waiting, he walked me through the steps to fix the problem and was very patient with my lack of computer knowledge and the fact that I have to rely on a 'Caption' phone because I am deaf. We did solve the problem and the PC is working fine now.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Called 1st day. Spoke to Sams Rep. She said she would get a SquareTrade rep on phone. Talked with that rep. He said he would email me request for receipt. 10 days past and no email. I called again and talked to Sams Tech Rep. She transferred me to sq trade rep. He transferred me to another rep. Each of the Square Trade Representatives were very difficult to understand. I consistently had to ask them to repeat what they said. They were courteous, but the first one definitely did not do his job. I had two receipts - one for smoker and one three days later for smoker. That only confused them. They were unable to locate any receipt. There are too many steps to get problem resolved. Took more than one and one half hours on the telephone to resolve claim.

Hi Mike,

We always want the warranty process to be hassle free for all our customers. It seems that there was some misinformation with the warranty and we had to create one for your item, which caused a delay with the claim process. We do apologize about that and we are glad that a resolution was provided for your claim.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have always had a great experience with replacing products each time I deal with Square Trade. The representative was very professional and had clear understanding of my issues. Square Trade does an excellent job of making the process quick and simple.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

When I was selling this, I was told the refund was immediate. It takes about a week just to process the claim. It is easy to file one, but getting the refund takes a while. The refund is very fair and based on the retail price, so if you got your item at a discount, you can not only afford it, but can use the excess to buy another plan on a new item.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

When I finally was in my SquareTrade window the customer service Rep was very understanding and helpful. I have been dealing with this same problem for few years. Hopefully SquareTrade will do right by me and just send me a new laptop since nothing Costco or HP has fixed yet curent laptop. The problem was fixed for a short time by replacing the battery and then updating the bios - but after each fix it went back to having the same issue after just a few weeks/days.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Square Trade has always treated me right. They are an A+++ Organization. They help you to resolve the problems. I have a warranty on all my products with them. I am glad that they protect all my electronics. Thanks again Square Trade.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was well pleased with the person who took care of me. He was concerned and did very well in answering all of my questions. The case was handled well and efficiently and I am very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Had to replace a Canon printer. Fantastic service and fast. They just had me return the old one in the box that I had and had a new one super fast. Had a problem with my laptop last week and one of their techs were able to walk me through some simple steps and did not have to send it in. Would highly recommend!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have been a customer of SquareTrade for several years. Usually the resolution is simple and quick. This item is still not resolved. I thought it was. I had to call in 3 times to get this taken care of. The representatives were all very nice, but not totally competent. The first rep cancelled the wrong plan and did not submit the claim correctly. The second person said they took care or the claim and reinstated the plan that was canceled. It was not. The third person took care of the claim, but the old plan was still not reinstated. The cracked screen was repaired, but it came back with another problem. The touchscreen was not working correctly. Now I am waiting for it to be repaired again. The other plan was never reactivated and now my other child's tablet has a cracked screen and no warranty to cover it because the representatives canceled it and never reinstated it like I asked and they said they would.

Hi Carla,

It definitely look like we dropped the ball with your claim and your warranty. I would like to look into this and reinstate the warranty right away. I can confirm that another claim was filed and the device will be repaired and sent back. As for the second tablet, once I reinstate the warranty, we can proceed with a claim for the cracked screen. Please email the cancelled warranty details to socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject line.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Only real problem was with your phone "numbers game". Took too long to get to a service rep, especially since I was calling to follow up on an existing claim - need a separate # or a quick jump from the "game".

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Impressed with Representative who assisted me... professional and in the most efficient manner had me on my way to get a broken phone replaced. And so courteous and personable! The process was completed in 5 days with a replaced phone. The updates thru email kept me informed. I love SquareTrade.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I bought an 80" TV from Costco 3 years ago and also purchased the SquareTrade Warranty. Recently it got a black spot in the middle of the screen which kept slowly growing. I sent pictures of the TV along with my claim. My claim was approved and my TV was replaced in about 5 days hassle free. I will never buy any other electronics without purchasing the SquareTrade Warranty!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

SquareTrade was very helpful. They quickly listened to my concern and handled my situation. They were able to send me a check for the device. I would recommend protecting devices with SquareTrade. Thank you for your help. I will be using SquareTrade again in the future.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My SquareTrade warranty came with the company that I use. I purchased the warranty from them and my experience was good. When I had a problem with my electronic device, I took it to the wrong place that SquareTrade told me so they returned it back. They took care of the problem themselves.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Recently had a problem with a dark spot on my 70" Sharp. After talking to the nice folks at SquareTrade and trying a few setting changes I was asked to send in pictures. The next day I received an email awarding my claim with a list of replacement options to choose from. Within a week, my replacement TV was sitting in my house. I could not be happier. Thanks SquareTrade!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I made the mistake of buying 3 year SquareTrade coverage for my laptop from Costco. The screen stopped displaying last summer at 2.5 years old, so sent it to SquareTrade to be fixed. They sent it back "fixed"...yet it broke again after only 12 weeks. My son, who is a college freshman is now without a computer in his first semester. They sent out another box to do another repair, but instead of sending it to him at college as I requested, they sent it to my home address, more than 2 hours from his college. This had me really frustrated, as now it's going to be an additional delay getting him a working computer. So, after calling them again about this mistake FIVE days ago (as soon as it happened), they said they would send out a new box to his college address.

TODAY, I get an email that they are sending out the box to his college address by the end of the day TOMORROW. It has taken them an entire week to send out a replacement box, even though it was their mistake. Best part of this story is that he comes home from college on Friday afternoon for a week's holiday... I wonder if he'll actually get the box at school before he leaves?!? I called and asked them to please FedEx the box since they screwed up the entire process in the first place and I got this super awesome response "We understand your frustration, Ma'am. We'll request it be expedited and we should definitely have it out to you by the end of the day tomorrow!"

I'm sorry, how is that any different from your first, completely unhelpful, response where you informed me that you'd have it out by the end of the day tomorrow?! It's like they are having a contest as to who can aggravate me the most. I will NEVER buy this coverage again and would gladly give them ZERO stars if that were an option because don't care about their customers.

Hi Kim,

We do understand your frustration and I have confirmed that the box has been delivered to the correct address. Once the laptop is received, we will have it repaired and sent back. We do apologize about the hassle and we are glad the box has been delivered.

SquareTrade Company Information