3.33/5
Based on 365 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 24, 2018

370 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 24, 2018

SquareTrade it’s # 1 scam company. I have more than 10 item protects with SquareTrade. Every time I have problems with item I contact them they ask me for the receipt. I don’t know why they ask me for the receipt after I registered the item. Why I have to keep the receipt if I registered the item. 2 days ago I have problems with my computer laptops. I call them to open claim. They told me they can’t do nothing until "You send us the receipt." The problems is I bought this laptop 2 years ago and I don’t know where’s the receipt. Right now I am trying to cancel all the warranty for all the item I have but still they give hard time. They told me, "If you wanna cancel your warranty you have to provide us with all the receipt." I CALL THIS SCAM.

Hi Murad.

Thank you for speaking with me today. A receipt is required on file at the time of claim filing to verify the item price and purchase date. We apologize for any issues this may have caused. Looking into your account, I see that many of your warranties have already been registered which allows for a smooth claims process.

I am glad we were able to get a claim processed on your device to resolve your issue. Also, you warranties have been reinstated as we spoke about.

Happy we were able to turn your experience around. Thank you for being a valued SquareTrade customer.

BH

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 23, 2018

I claimed my phone that are currently used by my daughter. Before claim, it had some cracks on the front screen and the back glass of my Samsung GS7 gold. I claimed on 4/10, but the problem is not solved now. I visited April 13, 16 and 17, but the problem became bigger and bigger. I can contact with my daughter, so my daughter hasn't done any after school activities since first repair. She is an 8th grader and really needs her own phone.

I was so surprised at the moment when I got the first repair. They changed the screen and the back glass using the parts from the third party not genuine parts. It's obviously worse than I keep the phone cracked until payoff. I already spent a lot of time for visiting the repair shop. I made a phone call with SquareTrade when I got 2nd repair, and I explained problems and I would visit repair shop the next day. At that time, SquareTrade teller told me if I still had a problem after 3rd try, they will give alternative options to me. I saw the document that tells some options. However, they didn't clear the problems, and you gave a shipping label, so I sent my phone to SquareTrade center.

I'm really disappointed, this company does not take care of their customers effectively. I would never recommend their plan to my friends. For me, for SquareTrade and for all contractors, I can tell SquareTrade company seriously. Please focus at least making customers saving money or saving time. They made me sad because I spent a lot of time and my phone's remaining value decreased lower than sum of plan price and deductible. For your company, please have good technicians who can repair well and efficiently. Your current repair contractors might be as same as general people like me. Please replace the parts as genuine ones for your reputation. If I tell all my friends this, 99% of them would not buy your plans due to not using genuine parts.

Hi Woo,

I am sorry to hear about any issues you experienced with your chosen Local Repair Facility. SquareTrade always tries to assure its repair partners take all the necessary steps to insurer customer devices are fully functional. Thank you for speaking with me about your claim and updated resolution. I hope we are able to turn your experience around. If have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me directly or email socialhelps@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the subject line.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 20, 2018

I bought a Vizio P75 from Sam's Club and a SquareTrade warranty. We called our TV in for warranty on April 4th. It is now April 20th and I am still without a TV. In between this time frame, they sent a single tech (to handle a 75" TV so I had to help him a lot) and decided it couldn't be fixed. I get an email offer for TV replacements and the top pick is a Vizio E series 75" which is the very bottom of Vizio's line up vs the P series at the top. I had to laugh at the email about it being the best pick as a replacement.

Over the course of the last few days they sent me a manual offer of a bottom of the line Samsung that you cant' even hardly find specifications on that wasn't even close either. I replied to that email about the spec differences and several days later I get an email saying that is the best they can offer. I replied to that saying I would like a refund for my TV then if they couldn't do any better. I also made a couple calls to them and haven't heard anything back yet. Not only would I never buy another SquareTrade warranty, they have also hurt Sam's Club for I will never buy anything but groceries from them again because of this warranty. It might be a month from now but I will update the final outcome of all of this.

Hi Charlie,

We definitely want to apologize for your experience. We aim to make the claim process hassle-free and always want to provide an immediate resolution to our customers. I'm glad that we were able to get you taken care of, but we are sorry about what you had to go through to obtain a resolution. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject line.

BH

Original review: April 19, 2018

Most of my experience with SquareTrade has been very good. The price was right on my first try there. It paid off well on my first electronic device. The claim I filed on a dryer went well. Unfortunately, somehow, someway, the policy that I had on my washing machine got canceled. I tried to get them to renew it but they just would not renew it. Other than that, the price is low but SquareTrade is well worth it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2018

I wish there was an option for 0 stars, SquareTrade is Terrible! They DO NOT honor their protection plans. If you want a protection plan that will cover your item with the protection they say it will then this is NOT the one you want to go with. They give every excuse in the book not to honor their protection plan and have horrible customer service to top it off. This company does not seem to care about their customers or their promises and are only out to make a quick buck so buyers beware!

Hi Jessica,

We apologize for any issues experienced processing a claim on your device. We aim to make the claim process hassle-free and always want to provide an immediate resolution to our customers. I would like to take a second look at your claim but was unable to find your account. Please e-mail us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the subject line.

BH

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: April 17, 2018

I purchased a Vizio 4K 65” TV in November, 2015. I purchased the SquareTrade 4 year warranty at the same time. April, 2018 the tv screen was going black after a few minutes but I still had sound. I went online and filed a claim with SquareTrade. I called them on Wednesday and had 3 boxes on Friday. The very nice lady I spoke with scheduled a technician to come out on Monday the 16th. The email they sent said to call the technician after receiving the parts so that’s what I did. I tried several times to reach someone at the repair center to no avail. I called SquareTrade and after being on the phone for 45 minutes I was told by the TV expert he had gotten in touch with someone and the technician would be out Monday the 16th to repair my tv and I would receive a confirmation call by 5pm on Saturday.

At 5:30ish I called SquareTrade and was told they were certain the technician would be out on Monday and the TV guy I spoke with on Friday had indeed NOT gotten in touch with anyone but had sent an email when he didn’t get an answer. At 9 am, when the repair center opened, I call yet again to try to get in touch with someone. I called SquareTrade back when no one answered at the repair center. I spoke with Mr. **, a supervisor, that asked me to please be patient and he would personally call me back by noon on Tuesday with a resolution to my issue. At 1:30 pm on Tuesday I called back to SquareTrade because Mr. ** didn’t call me back.

I was told by the woman I spoke to that they had sent an email and since they didn’t actually have anyone to come out and repair my tv they were willing to send me a replacement tv after I returned their parts. I was not happy with this as I figured since I had missed a day's wages they would be willing to give me a refund. She refused and said I’d have to choose a tv from the ones offered. I went to the link in my email and they were only offering one tv; a $578 Hisense which costs about half what my original tv cost. I called back to express my dissatisfaction and ask again for a refund of the purchase price of the original tv and she had the nerve to chuckle as she told me “that’s not going to happen”. Needless to say, I’m beside myself with anger and will NEVER buy another un-SquareTrade warranty!

Hi Scottie.

We're really sorry to hear your claim has taken much longer than our typical turnaround. We aim to make the claim process hassle-free and always want to provide an immediate resolution to our customers. I'm glad that we were able to get you taken care of, but we are sorry about what you had to go through to obtain a resolution. We value our customers and we are looking into your account, to correct what went wrong in the process. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject line.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Have a Warranty with SquareTrade Warranty that does not expire until 2019. Claim was filed on April 2nd or 3rd of 2018. Al said would have a repairman or Technician arrive at our home on 6 April of 2018. Called repair shop on 5 April of 2018, since had not heard from them. Office manager said our Tape Recorder on phone does not work and that they called several times. Said they would not be there Friday. Recorder has always worked and still does. She wanted to argue about why they would not be there Friday. Told her the recorder works and she hung up on me. Warranty company said they were the only one that could fix our 70" Visio TV. Said repairman out of Arkansas now refuses to fix our TV. We live in OK.

After numerous attempts to get their Warranty to repair, pay us for the TV, or send us another TV SquareTrade is telling us to do other than what their Warranty says they will do as just stated. They are telling us to take it to a repair shop, pay ourselves to have it repaired, send them the receipt for their review, for reimbursement. We were told that if they do this, or that, that they will not reimburse us. We did not even know the electronics language they were saying. They are stating in their emails that this is our only way they will repair our TV. I can hear all of the reasons now as to why they will not reimburse us for repairs, if we were to haul it back and forth.

These places charge a lot just to look at a TV like ours. It's nothing but a total waste of time to attempt to get SquareTrade Warranty to comply with their warranty according to the pamphlet we were given by Sam's in Tulsa, where we purchased the TV. We took out a 4 year warranty. Imagine the only way one can get them in Warranty compliance would be thru legal action. They know most folks do not want to go to the trouble. These people are out of California. Still have not filed with the BBB, and other available resources, so will continue in that direction, at the present time.

Hi William,

We apologize for any issues experienced with your device. Looking into your account, it appears the interaction with the repair company led to their denial of service. Due to the lack of other in-network repair companies in your area, the claim resolution was changed to a local repair invoice allowing for you to find your own tech and be reimbursed for hardware repairs. This is in line with the SquareTrade warranty contract, "We'll help you schedule an appointment with a local repair facility for in-home service."

SquareTrade always strives to make the claims process painless. Your claim has been moved to replacements and a replacement offer emailed to you. I attempted to call you today. Unfortunately, I was only able to leave a voicemail. If you have any further questions or concerns, please email socialhelps@SquareTrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the subject.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I purchased a 4 year SquareTrade agreement so I wouldn't have to mess with other websites. When I called them to get a SquareTrade they refused. Said it's under warranty. Now I'm have problems getting it fixed or getting another one. It's under warranty for the same amount as SquareTrade therefore they'll never honor their commitment.

Hi Jerry,

Typically, we refer customers to the manufacturer in the first year to help preserve the value of your warranty with us. However, we understand there are certain circumstances where you won't be able to go through the manufacturer. In the event, your manufacturer is unable to step in within the first year, we'll be happy to, which is why our protection plans run concurrently. If you have any further questions or concerns please email Socialhelps@squaretrade.com? I'd love to see how I can help!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had a smartphone warranty plan with SquareTrade and suffered a cracked screen. My phone was paid off and did not have any balance due with the carrier. I filed a claim with SquareTrade and they sent a replacement (refurbished phone) that unbeknownst to me STILL HAD AN INSTALLMENT PLAN BALANCE DUE FROM THE PREVIOUS OWNER! I didn't find out until I tried to upgrade my phone a few months later and sell my old phone (the one that SquareTrade had given me).

An IMEI investigation from T-Mobile showed an outstanding balance on the phone, but they were unable to tell me the name of the previous owner or amount outstanding due to privacy concerns. SquareTrade initially told me that they could not help me and gave me the runaround and attempted to charge me $50 to exchange the phone for one that did not have an outstanding balance due. SHAME ON YOU, SquareTrade for giving replacement devices that come with surprise balances due from the previous owners.

Hello Dan

Thank you for reaching out. We' apologize for any issues that have been experienced. We aim to ensure all of our replacement phones are in working order but it looks like we've dropped the ball. Looking into your account I see another phone is being sent out to you. I'm glad we were able to make things right. If you have any further questions or concerns please email socialhelps@SquareTrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the subject line.

Thank you.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

This has been the worse company I have ever had to deal with. My daughter received a computer for school, she does online school, in Oct. 2016. I have had to send the computer in going on 4 times in less than 2 years. The first time we sent it in everything happened in a timely manner. The next two times not so much. Every time we get it back it works for about 3 months then we have to send back in and I get the same story from the company... "Sorry no replacement yet". My biggest issues are they do not fix the issues, they don't listen to the customer on the issues, they take their time, and they download content on the computer. They searched YouTube for stuff and downloaded music onto my daughter's Spotify. Not sure this is what they are supposed to do :(. Anyways I want to forewarn anyone who is thinking about buying this product, DO NOT DO IT!

Hi Kristin,

We're really sorry to hear about this. We aim to make our claims process as painless as possible, but it sounds like this isn't the case. Thank you for speaking with me today about your claim. A reimbursement of your warranty cost has been processed. I hope we can turn your experience around. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out using the contact information provided

Bh

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 11, 2018

This is the WORST experience I've ever had with a company in my life. Do not purchase this insurance at all. I purchased a LG television from QVC in Sept 2016. They offered an insurance (SquareTrade) for an extra 87.00 which at the time I thought was good since I had no other way of insuring my purchase. On April 6, 2018 my television wouldn't turn on. I reached out to SquareTrade and explained what happened. They gave me a series of procedures to follow to see if the television would turn back on. Once nothing has worked they informed me that a piece will be ordered and do not open the box only the technician can open the box. I was told if I open the box it will void my warranty. The part around April 10. I called the tv repair person they hired to inform the company the television part came in.

On April 11, 2018 around 10am the repair person showed up to my house. He tried to turn on my television. It wouldn't cut on. He informed me he would reach out to the company because it's too expensive to fix. He asked for the box which was a backlight for the television and left. A half hour later I received an email from the company asking to please provide a receipt. I provided the receipt and called the company. I spoke to a worker and he told me he'll transfer me to a manager because I was unsatisfied with them sending a part and my television not being looked at I feel my time was already being wasted. I spoke to a Mr. **, he told me he'll send me to a link where I can choose another television. I told him I want my money back. He said he'll have to give me a TV that compares to the broken one I have.

I asked him so that one can blow out within a year and a half no I want my money back so I can get a TV of that won't blow out on me. His response was, "Well you can only get a television of low grade quality comparable to the one you have." I wanted to speak to a manager right away. He connected me to Steven **. I told him I want my money back and what his employer said about my television.

I asked him if he was me would he accept this treatment he said NO. I told him what tv I wanted he said he can't upgrade me. I told him I'll pay extra but why should I choose a low grade quality television. He told me there's nothing he can do. I have to choose the selected television they have. I didn't because I was told by their employee I have a low grade quality television. They aren't trying to upgrade my television so I and I pay the difference and they won't give me my money back. So they kept my money and my television isn't fixed and they wouldn't help me. Worst company ever with a rude employee.

Hi Monique,

We try to make the claim process as painless as possible, sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Regarding our television claims process, we apologize if you were dissatisfied with our offered replacement televisions. Whenever SquareTrade offers a replacement we are only able to base our offers on the specification of your item.

I had a chance to review your claim and found that since the time you submitted your inquiry to socialhelps@squaretrade.com you have spoken to one of our agents and resolved your issue.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife purchased a new Seiki TV for my birthday, it was purchased from TigerDirect through Amazon. A couple days later she went back on Amazon and purchased a four year service agreement for the TV. Now the TV is defective, no problem I have a warranty. Wrong, I was told by AL that since the TV was purchased from Tiger through Amazon and the warranty was purchased through Amazon from SquareTrade. That the warranty is void. Now they want to refund the plan purchase price of 75.00. What a racket. Most TV warranties will never be used. How do those folks get their money back when they purchased it just like we did? If you file a claim they void and refund the warranty price. I have the warranty contract, nothing like this is in there. I have been a consumer electronics service technician and service manager for over 40 years, I have never heard of this before.

Updated on 04/11/2018: Here we go again, after submitting more documents, now it simply is the wrong policy so they cannot cover the TV, remember I said SCAM. Rewording the same position is not expectable. Three times this claim has been closed with no resolution. What they want to do is refund 75.94 for the policy. They simply do not want to honor what they sold. Does it or does it not say 4 year protection plan $900.00 to $1000.00. The TV cost 999.99. How can it be the wrong product? Check the attached receipts. Currently looking for legal remedies and agencies to report this. If someone knows the correct agency send info to **.

Hello,

Sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused. Thank you for speaking with me today about your claim.

I have sent you an e-mail requesting a copy of your receipt. Please don't hesitate to give me a call at the extension provided in follow up email or send me an e-mail at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject.

I'd love to find a way to turn this experience around.

BH

Original review: April 9, 2018

I send my phone 3 times to repair. 1 to a local shop and 2 to SquareTrade shop and still not fixed right, it looks dirty job, the speaker is loose, back panel it clicks when you touch it, on the screen you can see a little light dot like a damage from the first accident. I had 2 weeks without a phone, now I'm questioning if pay for insurance it worth the money, the parts they use are aftermarket not original so your device don't look the same.

Hi Armando

We definitely want to apologize for your experience. We aim to make the claim process hassle-free and always want to provide an immediate resolution to our customers. I'm glad that we were able to get you taken care, but we are sorry about what you had to go through to obtain a resolution. We value our customers and we are looking into your account, to correct what went wrong in the process. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject line.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I purchased a pair of Sony headphones from Target along with a SquareTrade warranty on 2/10/18. The aux jack (silver prong) came out of the black, plastic end on 3/29/18. It did not break off - it came out. I filed a claim with ST on 4/08/18 and it was rejected. They claimed that the damage was a physical issue and that their headphone warranty only covered mechanical and electrical failure. Unfortunately, ST brochure which was given to me at point of sale states "Your item is covered for all of life's accidents plus mechanical and electrical failures from normal use". Very misleading advertising. After filing a claim online, chatting with a ST rep, speaking with a claims specialist and then being forwarded to Sony's claims department I still have broken headphones a no coverage. I called ST again and they agreed to refund the cost of the warranty.

Hi Crystal,

We're sorry to hear about this. It seems you were provided with an accidental damage from handling protection brochure with your standard plan coverage purchase. We aim to be flexible and offer our customers options. We have two types of coverage's, standard protection which covers hardware failure from normal everyday usage and accidental damage protection from drops and spills. Our standard protection plan does cover wear and tear issues after the first year of coverage. I'd love to see how I can help turn this experience around. Could you email me at socialhelps@squaretrade.com?

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I first filed the claim, I was told that the item was still under warranty, which was not true. I provided the information to prove the item was not under warranty. After providing the requested information I then called and spoke with Taylor, he listened and put me on hold for a little while and then approved the claim. I received the shipping label and mailed the item as instructed. The claim process has not been completed but I think everything will be as described by Taylor after the item is received.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Computer repair - The screen had horizontal & vertical lines. We were unable to open up the computer and neither could Staples store, so we sent it for repairs. Unfortunately when we got it back the information was deleted. We went back to Staples and they checked it for viruses and spam and nothing showed up.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had a very nice experience with my transaction. The personnel was very helpful and got both my matters resolved first time. I would recommend SquareTrade to other people because they stand behind their service and know what they are doing.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I had a very good experience with square trade. My phone need a new screen. I chose to use a local repair shop. The first shop had moved and only had a message on their phone which they did not return calls. I called Square Trade and got another location. The shop was very accommodating since I only had my cell phone. My cell was fixed in about 3 hours.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I'M ABOUT TO CONTACT A LAWYER! This company "SquareTrade", does NOT live up to its name - LITERALLY! I keep getting transferred to ** Pakistan! SquareTrade's "supervisor" Stan ** has not resolved anything! After he promised, and guaranteed! SquareTrade has picked up their television, and yet, we still do not have ours!!! I'm about to get in touch with an attorney, so UNLESS Mr. Ahmed (C.E.O.) or should I say "Steven", wants a lawsuit on his hands, I SUGGEST he calls me immediately as in tomorrow! (April 6, 2018) on my phone. The ONLY reason I gave this a 1 star rating, was because there wasn't anything lower.

THIS COMPANY IS A J-O-K-E! I have not only worked for a "call center", but have been in business and customer service for over 25 years, and if I had EVER spoke, or treated any of my customers the way these ** have, I would've been fired! I do not recommend, nor will I, ever do business with these thieves ever again. And unless Mr. Khaishgi doesn't want any bad publicity - I SUGGEST HE CALL ME TO-MOR-ROW!!!

Hello Yolanda,

Thank you for speaking with me today. We are so sorry to hear about your unsatisfaction with the replacement TV received and how frustrating the claim process was.

In cases which a replacement TV is returned, it is sent back to the vendor and once it is received, another TV can be ordered. Our replacement team is trained to follow up with all customers if a follow up is needed. It seems that we dropped the ball with following up with you and would like to apologize about that. We always strive to have a stress free claim experience and have moved your claim to an alternate resolution as we spoke of.

If you have any further questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me at the extension provided in the follow-up email, or directly reply to the email sent.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Was first told someone would be contacting me about problem, was then told they would come to house to make repairs, finally was told that they would send a check for the amount of the purchase. NO ONE came to house, they could not know what the problem was. (It was found that the power supply unit was bad, by local computer expert.)

Hi Michael,

We always want to take care of our customers and assist them with their claims. Your claim was moved to a reimbursement of the item price to avoid any delays due to the parts availability with our vendors. Our goal is to provide all customers with a hassle-free experience.

I am attempted to call you today. Unfortunately, I was unable to make contact. Please don't hesitate to give me a call at the extension provided in the voicemail, or send me an e-mail at socialhelps@squaretrade.com with "Consumer Affairs" as the subject.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Service rep was friendly and he explained things very well. The no hassle policy was exactly that. A no hassle policy. I would probably buy another no hassle warranty again if available on the product I am purchasing.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Employees were excellent. Apple Watch was damaged. SquareTrade extremely helpful with return, diagnoses and quick approval of claim. Watch could not be fixed so they sent a sufficient check to help cover loss. We were very satisfied with our experience and recommend their services.

Original review: April 5, 2018

SquareTrade was professional and fast at resolving my claim. Very happy with this company. Would recommend this service to others. My Epson printer failed and Square Trade handled the claim very well. Good job Square Trade.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I was very happy with the representative that filed the claim. This was my first claim and he walked through it all with my limited info since the phone was dead. He answered all questions and everything went just as he told me. I wish I could find his name, he deserves a pat on the back for dealing with me, a nontech senior.

Original review: April 5, 2018

TV issues, TV had burnt in or ghost images on the screen. SquareTrade tried to work the issue over the phone. They sent parts and a technician to the house but it did fix the problem. They worked the problem and in the end replaced the defective TV in less than a week. Thanks, I will always back my electronics with SquareTrade.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Customer service is always very efficient. I have done about 3 claims in the past 6 years and have always had a good experience. I’m not always able to get the same item since it was on sale at the time of purchase but it’s nice to have options of where to purchase since they mail you a check and not a gift card for a specific store.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Technician not showing up at all on scheduled day. Sent defective parts to replace in TV, had to use local shop and pay for work and still not fixed. Each different person you talk to gives you a different answer. Told me repair tech would be coming, he didn't show. Told me to take to local shop, then said I could not because they were not certified technician. Then wanted me to ship parts back with shipping labels they provided. Then sent me a list of who I could take it to. All this by email. I had to haul my 65 inch TV by myself, made 3 different round trips to the repair shop to get info, then I have to relay that to SquareTrade. Also to remind you I am paying for it, they say they will reimburse me, I have my doubts. Absolute nightmare dealing with SquareTrade.

Hi William,

It was a pleasure speaking with you today and apologize we were not able to come to a resolution yet. I will be working closely with you to ensure you will have a working TV as soon as possible. We look forward to turning your experience around. JR

Original review: April 3, 2018

Would not recommend! I am in the middle of trying to close out a claim with them and it's been 6 months. They kept telling me they had no information, over and over again after I sent my laptop to them. I felt like I was the victim of a scam... In addition, they didn't seem to handle the project with the repair facility very well. Finally a decision was made and now they're dragging out the cheque issue. Every time I call I am told to check back in 24 hours. It's impossible to get any information, and time seems to move so slowly on their end. I'm starting to feel suspicious again, like they're stalling for time. I don't know who I would report this to though.

Hi Megan,

We're truly sorry to hear about your experience with us. We've tried reaching out to you to discuss this further, but was unable to reach you. No worries. I left you voicemail with my contact details, to help assist you further with this delay in your check. However, as a courtesy, we'll continue to monitor your account and reach out to you again.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Kind regards,

MC

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 31, 2018

Be aware if you receive an iPhone replacement and you want to have it serviced at the Apple Store they will not service it. I have a defective battery due to age and use. Apple did a diagnostic check and verified this. When I went to get my repair, Apple declined to replace battery because they said the phone had been tampered with. I called SquareTrade and asked about this and they said yes a third party replaces the phone and Apple will no longer work on it. Well their site says, "We’ll only use the highest-quality new or re-manufactured parts to repair your item. All replacement parts will have the same or higher specifications as the original part." Well buyer beware. Apple will no longer service your replacement.

Hi Joe,

When our depot repairs any device, they use the highest quality of replacement parts. Since we send your item to our depot, it is considered a 3rd party, however, Apple will be able to use your device, but not under their warranty.

At this time, since your warranty has expired, we are unable to file a claim.

Thanks,

JD

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 30, 2018

Complete nightmare. I sent in my machine to resolve a few issues. They claim they will only take 2-5 days to repair it. What actually happened: it was sent to Mexico, and there decided they'd just sit around and wait for a part. They won't contact/update you in any way. The end result was that it took over a month to have my item "repaired." However, when I received the item (that was covered in crusty white stuff???), it wasn't even repaired! I was then told I had to send in my item because my issue was hardware related. I tried to avoid sending it in (given it takes them SO LONG to attempt to repair anything), but he said it had to be done. So, I send it in.

After over a week, I get an e-mail telling me they couldn't find anything so that Windows update must be the issue (this is for a power issue that is absolutely hardware related, as a third party is currently re-verifying). So they refused to do any repair, and after holding onto the machine for almost another week (WHY!?), they send it back untouched. Why did they tell me I need to send it in in the first place? Effectively, they just held my work machine for three weeks on their own request. Of course, they don't take any responsibility for any of this. Even after I verify with a third-party that the problems are hardware related, that just results in filing another claim -- ABSOLUTELY NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

At one point, they tried to placate me with a minor refund. I was told it would be sent to the purchasing card immediately. A month later, no refund. I contact them. They say "oh it was sent to your Amazon, no worries!" I check my Amazon for the next few weeks -- no refund. Complete lies. I had to contact them two more times (via chat and phone) to finally, after three or so months, get the refund I was promised.

Those are my main issues with the company: they take FOREVER to do anything, their repairs are unsatisfactory, their customer service staff will lie/offer conflicting reports, and they take no accountability for mistakes on their own end. Complete scam; there is a high chance you will regret getting SquareTrade in the event that anything actually goes wrong with your item.

Hi Corey,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience with your claim. Before an item is sent back to our customer's, all products are tested to manufacture specification. If the device returns to our depot, it will be evaluated and tested to confirm what the issue is with the device.

It was determined that the item had software issues which we do not cover. We do apologize about the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Thanks,

JD

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information