Call toll free
3.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1041 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We purchased a Samsung TV with mounting service in 2016. Three days ago the TV lost all power and would not turn back on. After calling SquareTrade, I was informed the unmounting and mounting, to have it fixed, is not included with the warranty, but if the technician is ok with doing that for us, it is all good (may have to sign a waiver).

We talked to the technician company and they said it would be no problem. SquareTrade then told us, they are not sending a repair person out, since we are not willing to unmount the TV. I would hate to be an elderly person needing help. My husband has shoulder injuries from the military... He had to lift it off the wall, just so we can get it fixed. It ended up being 2 screws and took 2 minutes... All that was a 2 day argument. We are not planning to purchase any more warranties, just not worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I bought a tv from Sam's Club for about $576. The guy sold me a warranty for $99, he said it covered all incidentals, so it sounded like, a good deal. Anyway a year later my tv screen broke, I guess someone hit it with the door. After filing a claim, I got the runaround for 2 days then they said they don't cover physical damage. DON'T BUY THIS WARRANTY, WHAT IT COVERS WILL NEVER BREAK ON YOUR DEVICE!! RIPOFF!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Bought the warranty for my laptop a while back from SquareTrade. Sent in my laptop for keyboard repair as some letters did not work. However SquareTrade decided to void my warranty due to a small crack on the chassis by the charging port that was caused the charger. However in the contract section L states that cosmetic damage and cabinetry will not be repaired. Instead in just repairing my keyboard they voided my whole contract. I have sent my attorney to my contract and all the online communicated dialogue. Would not recommend SquareTrade to anyone.

Hello Andriy,

We're sorry that we were unable to repair your product.

Squaretrade warranties do not cover cosmetic issues, therefore Squaretrade technicians will typically do our best to work around these types of issues. This depends on the severity of the issue and if it has caused any repercussive failures elsewhere in your product.

When this item was received at our repair center it was determined the damage to the product exceeded your coverage type. It was also determined that this damage was too severe to be considered cosmetic, due to this we are returning your product and refunding the full purchasing price of your warranty.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased a $700 Roomba from eBay because I felt secure if there was a problem the warranty I purchased would fix any problems I might have for the next 2 years. I couldn't have been more WRONG. Of all the SquareTrade warranties I have purchased, now I had to actually file a claim, imagine my surprise when they told me normal wear and tear is considered 'accidental' and accidents are not covered...REALLY? So my Roomba was vacuuming my floor, home alone and for some reason the right side clip that holds in the trash bin broke, from repeated pressure? Faulty material? Freak of nature?

Whatever it was it's considered an 'accident' and my $200 warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Well, when I first filed the claim they gave me the option to have it fixed locally and they would reimburse me, sounds reasonable, right? Ha Ha, the repair places I called said send it to the warranty company because Roomba wouldn't send them parts. So what is the REAL problem? Are they selling warranties expecting we will never need them and simply refunding the warranty cost when the actual cost will exceed that number? BUYER BEWARE!!!

Hello Tammie,

We apologize that we were unable to repair your product.

Squaretrade does our best to assist all customers but we're limited to servicing issues which correspond with your warranty coverage. Squaretrade sells both Standard and Accidental Protection Plan, both of which offer different coverage types. The policy for this product is Standard, which covers against hardware or electrical failures which are a result of normal use.

Unfortunately, when this product arrived at our repair center Squaretrade technicians determined there was physical damage to the product. We understand you had some concerns regarding this determination, therefore one of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation.

At this time we're waiting to hear back from you, we're eager to speak and hope to soon improve your view of our services.

KM

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I bought a speaker with a microphone and I got a SquareTrade warranty for it through Walmart. The microphone on the unit broke and I couldn't find a number to call from the manufacturer, so I went online and chatted with someone from SquareTrade. It was an easy thing to do. I was told that the unit was still under manufacturer's warranty and that I have to call the manufacturer. I was given a number and I called it, but nobody has replied. It's been two weeks. But SquareTrade told me to call them back if the manufacturer decided not to cover the speaker. SquareTrade is doing good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have had a SquareTrade warranty on my Dell laptop for the past two years. This laptop seems to run into a lot of hardware malfunctions. Most of the issues seem to be related to the motherboard. The first issue occurred while still under the manufacturer warranty and Dell replaced the motherboard quickly then sent the computer back. The second issue was basically the same as the first but beyond the manufacturer warranty. I filed a claim with SquareTrade and they indeed took care of the problem, repairing the motherboard and sending the computer back to me in working condition.

A month or so later my computer was performing an automatic update for Windows and the update required a restart. When I went to press the power button I was hit by a powerful static shock. Afterward the computer would not complete the POST for Windows and consistently froze trying to boot Windows. I filed a claim and sent the computer to be repaired. It was promptly sent back to me with a note (only a note) saying the issue was software related and SquareTrade would not repair the item, with said claim I also sent in a 64GB flash drive with recovery media which never did get sent back to me.

When I contacted them about it, they told me they never received it but after about an hour on the phone they conceded to reimburse me for the flash drive only if I went to buy a new one then sent them the receipt, at which point they would send me a gift card for the same price. Seriously? I must buy another one, then I will get a gift card that I can really only use to buy yet another flash drive...

That was all terribly aggravating, aggravating enough for me never replace the drive (I feel like that was their intention but that is only conjecture). I got myself past it and contacted SquareTrade again to ask what would happen if I took the computer into a software specialist and they determined the problem was indeed a hardware issue. SquareTrade proceeded to promise me if that were the case, they would repair or reimburse me for the computer.

Now I have that determination/diagnosis and have filed yet another claim with SquareTrade but they have gone back on their original promise and are now telling me they will perform the same tests as before and if they get the same results as last time they will "contact me regarding how to proceed." But regardless of who I was to talk to or what details I request all I am told is: "If it cannot be repaired they will contact me regarding how to proceed." That is a deliberately vague response intended only to pacify an upset consumer and offers no commitment on their side.

At this point I don't trust that I will ever get the computer back if I send it in and no one will offer me any assurance that my issue will be resolved one way or another. It is now 7:00 pm and I have been on the phone (holding most of the time) with SquareTrade since 2:15 pm. I only just was able to speak to a supervisor (Emanuel **) who finally offered me a guarantee that if the item could not be repaired, I would be issued a check for the amount of the original purchase. I asked him to send me his guarantee in writing via e-mail. I have not yet received said e-mail, so I cannot speak to its authority. I can say all of this has shown me that SquareTrade’s initial priority seems to be themselves and this entire ordeal has greatly shaken my trust in the company.

Hello Joseph,

We apologize for any difficulty you've experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade computer warranties include extensive coverage against a variety of hardware and electrical failures, but software is something not covered beneath our policies. When this was brought to our attention one of our specialists reached out to discuss the cause of some delays you've experienced, as well as a amicable resolution to the concern.

Based on our conversation we hope you're more comfortable proceeding with Squaretrade. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak to us and your patience in this matter.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

SquareTrade was the warranty that was offered by the retailer we went to. My experience with them was very easy. When I wanted to print a photo, the printer would not pick up the paper and print. It kept telling me to insert a photographic paper but there was a paper in the machine. I tried all kinds of things from disconnecting the printer and turning the power off and on. I also disconnected the printer from the internet because I’ve got a connection there and it records the number of copies.

I tried everything and I couldn’t make a copy of the photographs so I called the number on the warranty and made a claim. I explained the situation to the gentleman who answered the phone. He was very polite and asked various questions which I answered. He said that I’ve had the printer in use for some time and he deducted a little for that. Then, he said he would forward the check in the mail and I received it. The process did not take very long. All in all, I would recommend SquareTrade and I’m very positive about it. The cost of the warranty is not too expensive which was $39 for the $160 printer so it was worth it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I purchased an Asus tablet from Amazon and SquareTrade was an option there. The tablet fell down from the desk and the screen was broken. Filing the claim was very easy. I received a label for FedEx, I sent the tablet and then I got it back after five days. It was perfect. SquareTrade is very reliable. I'm happy with the experience. It was very good. Plus, the service was very good.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We sent my phone off on Friday and the expected delivery was Monday which was fine. They received it Monday morning but at 10:30 on Wednesday they apparently tried to work on my phone and couldn't due to the passcode that was on it. We did not receive information that stated the passcode would need to be included, especially since the phone isn't working anyways. However this is understandable, what I have a problem with is that instead of calling one of us they emailed to which supposedly was sent on Wednesday but we did not see it until Friday.

All it would have taken was a quick phone call and they would have had their answer while they had my phone out and I might have gotten my phone the same week they had received it. As it stands now I will have to wait another week to get my phone since it is now Friday and I'm sure they won't work on it or ship it out by today. JUST SIMPLY CALL YOUR CUSTOMERS AS WELL AS EMAIL, some normal people don't check their emails every day like crazy people.

Hello Christina,

We apologize for any delays you've experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade does out best to communicate with our customers, especially when it comes to a crucial update regarding their claim. Whether this update is provided via email or phone depends on the severity of the issue and this is why we verify our customer's contact information before every claim approval.

This is also why we provide 24/7 access to our call in support center, as well as various other methods of reaching support. As of now we can see your item is mid-repair, we'll soon follow up with additional details regarding your item's status. One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation and at this time we're waiting to hear back.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I was having issues with my TCL Smart TV. I contacted TCL and they told me that it was a known defect but that my TV was out of warranty (by a couple of months). I had given up hope until I remembered I bought the SquareTrade extended warranty. I thought I was saved! I called them and at first they were very kind and professional. Then they kept asking for more and more information, I gave them everything they asked for. I was told that "everything seemed to be in order" but that I would have to wait for a phone call from their "Specialist" (or something like that). Well, I waited for days and the call never came. I waited a week then called them back. I again got friendly helpful people who made me feel like everything would be ok, until they transferred me to their "Specialist". He told me that he reviewed the pictures I sent and that the tv seemed to be "damaged" and asked me how that happened.

I immediately got upset because I knew his "Specialty" was turning down claims. I got extremely upset at this point because this tv was in perfect condition besides the manufacturing defect. I told him I wanted to talk with his supervisor and after a long hold and being hung up on twice, I finally reached a supervisor who told me in these exact words "we do not cover manufacturing defects"??? What do you cover? I asked. He informed me that he was sorry but that his decision was final and that they were not going to honor the warranty. I have since found that they have done this to many, many people. So in the end the company I thought would be my savior turned out to be a dishonest company who take money on false pretenses and do not honor their contracts.

Hello Leo,

We apologize for any recent difficulty with your claim.

Squaretrade TV warranties offer extensive coverage from a variety of hardware and electrical failures, this often includes coverage against issues like screen distortion. However, upon review of the pictures you provided Squaretrade determined this product showed signs of physical damage.

Though Squaretrade offers warranties which covers these types of issues for a wide variety of products, we do not offer this coverage for TVs at this time. We understand you feel physical damage is not the cause of the item's failure but Squaretrade specialists are extensively trained to recognize these types of issues.

One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation and at this time we're waiting to hear back from you. Once we speak we hope to clear up any misunderstanding in regards to your coverage and to improve your view of our services.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My sons and husband have laptops and because of the nature of the users of the laptops, I thought of acquiring electronics warranty. I also bought warranty for my students. I went with SquareTrade for its availability at Costco. Then I filed two claims regarding my two sons’ computer screens. One claim went very quickly and the other one, we’re still waiting for it. It's been two weeks now. I had bought the warranty so long ago that it was in my obsolete email. So, when I went to file a claim, it took them a while because it was on my old email. So, that was kind of problematic, but they figured it out through customer service. It's been great with the customer service.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Tried to file an 'easy' claim online, which I couldn't finish without battling through their phone tree to complete it. It's easy to go in circles with their terrible menu system. It's clear they'll do anything to try to make it hard to speak to a human! Finally reached a very polite human who troubleshoot the problem and said they'd send parts and they'd arrive on New Year's Day. Of course they didn't, but I specifically asked, "Are you sure?" The parts arrived, but the remote control they said they'd send wasn't sent. Turns out it wasn't even ordered. I was given a choice of appointment window and took the day off to wait. More calls to ST.

Finally they assigned a technician while I was on the phone with them, and he called me back at the agreed upon time. We set up an appointment for later this week. Then the remote control arrived and I was assigned a different technician from a different company, who fixed my TV yesterday. The remote control works, and the sound isn't dropping. He was on time, clean, and quick. I don't know if ST canceled the first technician they assigned it to. I guess I'll find out on Friday when he calls me!

As soon as he left, I noticed my TV volume is no longer loud enough, even if I turn the volume all the way up. This is a new problem. I called the technician and he told me I need to call ST back because there might be an issue with the part they sent. Callback is a nice feature but every time it has said the callback would be in '6 minutes', and it's always been much, much longer than that. I'm sure we will eventually get through this, but this has been a lot of time invested over the past 2 weeks. I'm glad I bought the warranty, obviously. And the humans I have spoken to have been exceedingly polite. But this has been a very frustrating experience, and disruptive to my work schedule. This claim was for my Vizio TV, claim # **.

Hello Brenda,

We apologize for any difficulty you've experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade does our best to make the TV claims process as hassle free as possible, using methods such as offering in home repairs and providing various methods of reaching customer support. We understand with your claim there have been several delays, something we're dissapointed to hear.

When this was brought to our attention one of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation with you. We did our best to make clear we will work with you throughout the rest of the process and at this time our TV team is diligently working to establish how to proceed next. Based on our conversation we hope you feel more assured moving forward, we'll soon be in contact and look forwarding to resolving this for you.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My phone was sitting on the car and when I drove away and stopped it broke. The SquareTrade protection plan was offered to me when I bought it and they refunded my money when I filed a claim. I was really happy. They were really knowledgeable and it was a smooth experience. I got the check in the mail really quick. I was really impressed. I was like “Why didn’t I know about this a long time ago?” It was all perfect. The protection plan is worth it and I have told a lot of people about it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

In December my son was take a graduate school final when the $2300 Microsoft Book keyboard went bad. I contacted Microsoft even though the computer 2.5 years old. We worked together for hours and determined it was not a software problem and they offered to fix the machine for $500. At that point I remembered that I had purchased the SquareTrade protection plan. I worked with SquareTrade and they also agreed that it was a hardware problem so I sent it to them on 12/27/18 and they received it on 12/31/18. I received a notification on 1/2/19 that it would be fixed in 5 days and sent back. Keep in mind that graduate school starts back on 1/14/19. After not hearing anything for a few days I called and got an update on the repair. Come to find out they sent it out to be fixed.

They never notified me that they were going to send it for repairs and then they said it was going to take 2 to 3 weeks. There is no way one can survive graduate school without a computer. I called and tried to see if they would just consider the machine a loss and give me money so that I could replace the machine before school started. No such luck. Very disappointed in the communication. They never told me it was sent out and would take weeks. They never called to see if that was what I wanted done. I could have made the choice at that point to just go the MS and get a replacement. After reading other reviews it sounds like this is common. This protection plan is worthless at this point. I am also expecting the repair to take longer than the 2 to 3 weeks. No more SquareTrade plans for me.

Hello Jeffrey,

We apologize for any delays you've experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade utilizes certified technicians to repair our customers products, as we pride ourselves on providing quality service. We also do our best to expedite every repair and ensure it is returned to the customer as soon as possible. Unfortunately, some repairs may take additional time or resources to properly resolve the device issues. This depends on your product and issue it is experiencing, therefore it's difficult to determine if such a step is necessary until the item has been received and thoroughly diagnosed.

In this instance your item was forwarded to a separate repair facility shortly after receipt. We understand this is not a resolution you're satisfied with and would have preferred additional updates from Squaretrade regarding your claim status. We again apologize for the inconvenience, but this is why we offer customers access to our support center via phone and chat. We're also constantly implementing improvements to our processes, so it's very possible in the near future you'll see more updates regarding our claims process.

We understand you would prefer we migrate your claim to an alternative resolution but this is typically reserved for situations when it has been determined your item cannot be repaired. At this time we are confident we can repair the product and due to the delays you've experienced we've processed a full refund for the warranty purchasing price.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought an electric Ride-On toy car on Amazon. I saw the warranty and I thought, you bet. These things seem like they are always broken. 6 months later the Chinese toy car craps out. Red flag #1: I go to SquareTrade's website to file a claim and am immediately turned away b/c most products have a 1-year warranty. Red flag #2: Contact SquareTrade to file a claim and told I have a warranty. Go back to the manufacturer. They cannot help me. Red flag #3: After threatening to report these people to the California Insurance Department for fraud, they relent and confirm since I don't speak Chinese, I can proceed with the claim.

Red flag # 4: I was told per the right in their contract, their final judgment is that I take the toy to the repair shop. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Am I supposed to take this car to the Ferrari dealer? Who fixes plastic toy cars? If I would have spent 5 mins researching this company, I would have found all the scam alerts on the internet and the pending class action litigation. Stay away.

Hello Matt,

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our policies.

When this concern was brought to our attention one of our specialists immediately reached out to you to discuss your concerns, as well as to explain why Squaretrade has certain policies in place. This includes the utilization of the manufacturer warranty and the typical use of an invoice repair. We also discussed a resolution which would be satisfactory to both parties, which appeared to be the case based on our conversation.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak to us, as well as you bringing this concern to our attention.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Its coverage limit is NOT on the entire product or parts only, rather it's calculated based on cost of repair where most of them (70-80%) are labor and service fee. So for example, for a $1000 laptop, only $200-300 worth of parts are covered after they threw in 700-800 worth of labor related cost at the company's discretion, if you are lucky enough. I'm speaking from real experience. The company can even sent me a invoice of $1000 as their cost to replace a few missing screws to terminate my service contract thereafter. What can I do about it?

Hello Bravo,

We apologize for any dissatisfaction with our warranty services.

Most Squaretrade warranties cover the product up to the limit of liability for that policy. The limit of liability is equal to the purchasing price of the item and is reflective of the amount in repairs or replacements Squaretrade will provide until that warranty is completed.

Squaretrade mail-in repairs are completed by certified technicians who are extensively trained to provide quality repairs. For most cases when an item repair is considered infeasible Squaretrade will migrate the claim to an alternative resolution, such as replacement or reimbursement.

In this instance we understand you're concerned with the cost of the repairs which completed your item warranty. This is something we'd like to investigate and determine if we can provide any additional information. Please email your warranty or claim information to reviews@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs review" in the subject line. One of our specialists will take a deeper look and follow up with you directly.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My PS4 Pro's power supply died which was obvious as it wouldnt even power on. I'm not worried as I have SquareTrade. I send it in all is fine. They even send me a email telling me that my product is ready to be repaired and I'm approved. A few days later I get a email telling me they found a ''infestation'' and my product will not be repaired and has been sent back broken. Now they only want to offer me 24 bucks out of the 50 I paid? WOW. On top of this I opened the PS4 Pro and have not found one bug in that thing. Also, why were there no pictures taken of this ''infestation'' to prove that it could not be covered? I am going to try to at least get my 50 dollars back and never mention this service again.

Hello Kyle,

We apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your claim.

Squaretrade does our best to assist all customers, but in certain instances we are unable to service items due to the condition they are received. Depot technicians perform a full item audit upon receipt of products to our mail in center, this audited is intended to diagnose your item failure and to ensure they correspond with your warranty coverage. This is why your warranty was refunded in full.

Unfortunately none of our warranties cover insect infestation or contamination, this is why your item was returned unrepaired. We understand you have concerns regarding this result, therefore one of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation with you. We hope to hear from you soon, as we're eager to improve your opinion of our services.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I bought SquareTrade when I bought my quick set pool. However, almost all of its legs became rusted. It was not supposed to be a problem, and that's why we bought that specific pool. I just had to log in to the SquareTrade website, tell what the problem was, and the website gave me options: Repair, which was impossible since the legs were rusted, or have them send the legs, or get cash then I'll buy the legs myself. I then chose one of the options. It was all done online. It was easy and it went fast.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This entire ordeal has been extremely frustrating. What should've been a quick claim turned into weeks of aggravation and discouragement. For starters, I've been trying to complete this claim for over two months now. I've made multiple calls to SquareTrade attempting to receive a reimbursement for the covered item after making an online claim but I ended up getting the runaround. I was promised a callback twice to include a promise from the supervisor Jermaine and neither time did I get a callback! In the end, a representative offered to reimburse me a PARTIAL credit for the covered item although the original purchase price of the item should've been reimbursed in full. Now I won't even have enough to purchase a replacement! I am LIVID! I will NEVER ever use this company for coverage and I'll definitely, without hesitation, reach out to all major partnering companies to notify them of this horrible experience.

Hello Shonda,

We apologize for any inconvenience or delay you've experienced with your recent claim.

Squaretrade does our best to ensure the claims process is as quick and hassle free as possible, though we'll occasionally need additional outreach or information from the customer to finalize the resolution. In this instance we can see there was a delay regarding your item receipt, but this has since been sorted out and your claim has been approved for a reimbursement via our Fast Cash resolution.

Fast Cash is a convenient resolution we offer customers in situations when an item repair or replacement would be inconvenient or infeasible. This amount is slightly deduced from the original purchasing price but requires little to no action from the customer, should a customer ever be dissatisfied with this resolution Squaretrade specialists can determine what alternatives are available.

We've sent additional information to your email regarding this claim. We thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention so we can review your claims history and determine where we could do better.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

We purchased a computer from Staples and SquareTrade was offered as the warranty provider. The salesperson explained all that it covered and the amount. It seemed like a reasonable price for full coverage for spills, dropping and major accidents for two years. The warranty was for my son, just to have that extra protection just in case an accident happens.

My son accidentally spilled apple juice on his laptop, got the keyboard wet. He turned it upside down. Some of the juice dripped out and he tried to dry it off. The laptop didn’t work the first night. We turned it back on the next morning and it started working, but the spacebar is a little sticky. So, we felt it needed to be checked out that was why we decided to file the claim. Trying to file it online, I’m not real computer literate sometimes, so that was a little frustrating for me, so I ended up calling it in and that went really smoothly. Their customer service rep was very polite, courteous, patient with all my questions and in explaining exactly how the process worked. So far, it’s been a positive experience, and if someone was buying electronics, especially for their possibly accident-prone children, I would highly recommend SquareTrade.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

SquareTrade was the protection plan that was offered on the Fitbit. It came up when I purchased the Fitbit on Amazon so I just went ahead with it and it was valuable with this particular device because they tend to get abused. So it was helpful to have it and if I am gonna buy another small device like that, I would definitely get another SquareTrade plan. This kind of device is liable to get dunked in water. I'm really careful with mine but I figured something like this could happen with it, and it did.

The strap wore out out on mine and I filed a claim with Square Trade. It was pretty easy but it would have been a little easier if I had been more careful with the receipt and if I had filed it away. I had to go back to when I bought it and it took a day or so for them to go back that far into my purchase records. But I was able to get it and they turned it around in a few hours. It was back in a couple of days. My lens also had a little crack in it and the one I have now doesn’t have a crack in the lens. So I think what they did was send me a refurbished one of the same model. The experience was good and everything was fine.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a 3 year warranty for my Kindle Fire for any accidental damage. I have now been working on my claim for almost a month. I have had to file 2 claims because of “system problems”. I’ve now talked to 5 different people and all of them have promised me a callback but nope, I’ve had to call every single time! Called again and was told I was being transferred to headquarters. Lady said, “No I’m just customer service!” Ugh I’m so frustrated. I will NEVER use this company for a warranty again. Come to find out I have to send a copy of the invoice which the first 4 people and 2 claims NEVER mentioned to me. This has been absolutely ridiculous. Needless to say, still waiting for my resolution. I’m about to give up but can’t afford to fork out another 500 bucks for a new Kindle. VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER.

Hello Christina,

We apologize to hear it's been so difficult to process your claim.

Squaretrade does our best to make the claims process as hassle free as possible, using methods such as claim filing on our website or 24/7 access to customer support. We also diligently train our specialists to be knowledgeable and courteous, as we want to minimize the amount of contacts with us necessary to complete your service.

We understand you've had to contact support numerous times to receive help, as well as experienced difficulty with receiving clear information. This is something we want to review and help with. Please email any claim or warranty information to reviews@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs review" in the subject line. One of our specialists will review your claim and follow up with any additional assistance we can provide.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I have bought several Square Trade Policies and I won't buy another one. This is the first claim I have ever made. Chair hydraulics failed. I bought a total replacement policy. They offered me half the cost to go away stating if I didn't take it I may have to ship the chair back to them. Of course it's going to be at my expense. They said they would get back to me in 24 hours. Three days later I emailed them asking for status. They sent me an email saying I have not finished filing my claim. I go online and it is finished. And there for the first time I see info that says the max claim amount allowed is for half the price of the chair. Wow! Worthless piece of paper. I purchased the chair from Staples. As soon as they open this morning, I'm going to call and raise hell. My next phone call is going to be to Amazon to complain to them how I was treated by Square Trade and see about Amazon looking for another vendor as well.

Hello Edward,

We apologize for the difficulty experienced with this claim, as we believe the majority of these issues resulted from misunderstandings with how Squaretrade works. Squaretrade does our best to help all customers, but we're limited to approving resolutions for your item which correspond with the coverage of your warranty.

when this was brought to our attention one of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation with you at length, as well as what Squaretrade is willing to do to resolve your concern. Based on our conversation we feel we've landed on a result which satisfied all parties, we again appreciate you taking the time to speak to us.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I bought a Whirlpool dishwasher controller off eBay (OEM part). I bought the SquareTrade warranty with it (note, SquareTrade is fronted by eBay, the seller has nothing to do with it). The controller died after 3 months. I called SquareTrade. SquareTrade said "under a year" call the manufacturer (Whirlpool), the manufacturer said, "You didn't buy it from us. Call the seller." And the seller says, "We only do 30 days and we don't have anything to do with SquareTrade." If you try to contact anyone but SquareTrade (like eBay, who sold the warranty, really), they don't want to know. So... You're back to SquareTrade. In short, SquareTrade sells quick and dirty warranties with NO intention of servicing them. If you read this and buy a SquareTrade warranty off eBay...well, it's your own fault.

Hello Rod,

We're sorry for any misunderstanding regarding your warranty.

Squaretrade utilizes the manufacturer warranty for most products we cover, as this is allows our warranties to stay in place the maximum allowable length of time possible. Warranties like yours cover the item in repairs or replacements up to what you paid for the item, so issues which would be resolved by the manufacturer do not negate from your Squaretrade warranty.

However, Squaretrade also has several policies in place to help with your product should the manufacturer deny service or prove unreachable. Whenever this is the case you simply need to contact our claims center for additional assistance, with a reference number if available. Since the manufacturer has denied servicing your item we have sent additional details regarding your item resolution to the email on file.

We hope this proves to be a satisfactory method to address your concern. One of our specialists has also attempted to reach you, as we're eager to address your concerns.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

SquareTrade was the only one that offered a warranty along with the product when I purchased it because they have another one, but I'm not pleased with it. When I have a choice, I always choose SquareTrade. I never have a problem with them. I was pleased with their process ‘cause they always honor their warranties and I've never had a discrepancy with them at all. They're always very prompt to address the situation and give you the choice for the item that needs to be replaced or whatever. Recently, my printer started acting up. It started jamming and the print was looking awful. I filed a claim for it online and they gave me the money to purchase another one.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have never been treated so well by a company representative as I was by the rep from SquareTrade. He understood my issues, explained everything he was doing and completed the transaction in excellent time. I will continue to purchase their products.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Whenever I buy my kids cellphones, I purchase the SquareTrade protection from Walmart. I've always dealt with SquareTrade with Amazon orders also. As a matter of fact, we always buy the SquareTrade protection plan for all our electronics that we buy from Walmart. When I have family or friends who are buying phones, I always recommend it as well. My experience with SquareTrade has been really easy and I like it. I've never really had problems and if I have problems filing a claim online, I've always been able to talk to customer service.

With the first claim that I had, I didn’t have any issues. With the second one, we were having a little bit of a problem doing it online. But I called customer service and they approved it really quickly. So for the most part, I would use SquareTrade all the time and even now. This last time was the first time that I had any problems with it and I'm still waiting to hear back from them about that.

My kids broke their cellphones playing with their Christmas gift and we filed the two claims on the two phones. I always opt to get the Walmart gift card because whenever they break their phones, I just go and use the claim to replace the one they broke at Walmart and then just purchase the new warranty. This time, the claims went through and I got the email saying that the claims were approved and that I would receive the gift card via email within 24 hours. But that was almost a week and a half ago. When I contacted SquareTrade last week, they said that I should hear from them within one to two business days. But it was right before the weekend and I haven't heard anything. So I'm giving it until tomorrow before I call back. Still, this is the first experience that I've had that’s been off. So I will continue using SquareTrade until there's a major issue.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I'm a big fan of the protection plan for high-ticket items; the cost is offset by the peace of mind knowing that I can make sure I have a working device. It took three tries, and three weeks, to get them to send me a label. The website is buggy, and I can't even properly access my claim; initially I could access it enough to get to the "print label" screen, but that was a broken link, and now I can't even get there. Okay. Extremely frustrating. But I finally got the box and label (I actually finally got *2* boxes and labels, one right after the other), after "only" three weeks. I promptly sent in my item. Now, they say they take "up to" 5 days. While I'm assuming very very tiny fixes might be quicker, you should just assume it's 5 days. And you'll notice this was near 2 holidays, so of course: It's *business* days. So it took another two weeks to get back to me, well, 10 calendar days.

And after not having my device now for a month and a half I get it back and open the box and... the screen is cracked. The paperwork says they replaced the screen and, given the damage it had, I believe them, but whether it cracked again in the service center or on its way to me (though it's in an air-cushion-padded box, so I have a hard time understanding how that would happen without obvious external signs of damage), all I know is that after a month and a half I get to start over again, and be without my laptop for what will undoubtedly be *another* 2 weeks. At least there's not holidays this time, but I'm really struggling to see the real value here. The best was the chat, intended to save a phone call, whose only answer was "call the center".

I've had to do multiple chats, I've had to wait on hold for extended periods of time, only for agents to not really know *how* these screwups, that are all entirely on their end, could have *possibly* happened, but if I just jump through some more hoops, they're *sure* it'll all work out. The whole experience has been frustrating and a waste of my time. I question whether I would have been better off just holding onto the money I paid for the plan and putting it towards a new laptop if I have a problem, since generally I don't use these plans because I try to take care of my items. I'm sure when the bureaucracy goes smoothly, everything works out fine, but the peace of mind I thought I had is definitely not present.

Hello,

We apologize for the recent difficulty you experienced with your item repair.

Squaretrade does our best to provide a hassle free claims experience, as well as numerous methods of contacting customer support. This is why we offer customer support via phone, chat, email and other resources. These resources are in place to ensure your concerns are addressed in a timely manner, we again apologize if that wasn't your experience.

We're also dissapointed to hear your item returned from repair with a cracked screen, as Squaretrade technicians would never intentionally return a product to our customers in this condition. When this was brought to our attention Squaretrade specialists immediately approved for your item to be sent back in using expedited shipping.

Additional Squaretrade specialists have reached out to discuss how to resolve your concerns, including a full refund of your warranty purchasing price and a point of contact here at Squaretrade. We're eager to speak to you soon and to improve your experience.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This company has completely ruined my PS4 Pro. Sent it in with a broke disk reader, received it back with a giant cut from a box cutter. Company refuses to fix it, saying it's "cosmetic damage" and blaming the shipping company for the damage. My PlayStation 4 Pro (worth $500) is now worth $0 because SquareTrade refuses to own up to their mistake.

My lawyer has been unsuccessful with contacting the managers that I have spoken to. I have a list of names of managers who actually yelled at me while I was explaining my situation to them. All I asked for was for them to fix the giant crack in my PS4 Pro that they caused. I even had to send pictures to them of the entire system BEFORE I mailed them my item to fix. When I sent them the pictures of the crack managers classified as cosmetic damage. Any time I call to complain about this issue they hang up the call. Will never work with this horrible company again and will continue to warn every person about this.

Hello Jillian,

We apologize for any difficulty you experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade warranties do not cover cosmetic issues such as a scratch to a device, but we understand in this instance your product did not have this type of damage before being sent to our repair center. This is not the experience we want for our customers and something we take great care to address. One of our specialists reached out to you to discuss the situation, as well as methods of resolving your concern.

Based on our conversation we feel are on a path to resolve this issue, we appreciate you taking the time to speak to us. We also understand you experienced difficulty resolving this with some of our customer service representatives, and as we stated on the phone your claim history will be thoroughly reviewed to address these concerns.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I never have to go through so much for nothing in return. I've been trying for weeks to get them to help me. I've complied to their rules but I’m told they are sorry they can't find my account or they didn't receive my files. Even though I’m sent replies stating they did. I waited over an hour on the phone listing to music then the phone just disconnects. I'd rather jump off a building before I use this company ever again. They just grinned me down until they can just keep my money.

Hello Carlton,

We apologize for the difficulty with filing your claim.

When this was brought to our attention a specialist reached out to discuss the situation with you at length, per our conversation we determined there was a misunderstanding regarding your warranty. We approved your claim for a resolution satisfactory to all parties, we appreciate your time and patience speaking to us today.

KM

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information