Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5
Based on 1,034 ratings submitted in the last year

SquareTrade offers device warranties and protection. As a part of the Allstate organization, SquareTrade has programs for every type of tech device and offers online claims, free shipping on repairs and no hidden fees. Visit its website to sign up for SquareTrade’s warranty program today.

BOTTOM LINE

SquareTrade offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

PROS

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

CONS

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Top SquareTrade Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were broken… SquareTrade showed me that they were concerned and because of what happened and the red tape in my situation, they

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy customer. Very easy to work with!!

What is SquareTrade?

SquareTrade’s device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by SquareTrade’s warranties:

Smartphones
SquareTrade’s smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to SquareTrade using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year SquareTrade warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using SquareTrade’s mail-in service.
Appliances
SquareTrade covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
SquareTrade provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

SquareTrade’s coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does SquareTrade warranty work?

You can file a claim with SquareTrade online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a SquareTrade representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If SquareTrade is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does SquareTrade cost?

SquareTrade warranty costs vary depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for SquareTrade coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
Smartphones$8.99 - $19.99 a month$25 - $149
Laptops$89.99 to $549.99$0 - $75
iPads$109 to $259$0 - $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

SquareTrade FAQ

Does SquareTrade repair or replace?
SquareTrade repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does SquareTrade insurance work?
SquareTrade repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a SquareTrade warranty?
SquareTrade warranties can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact SquareTrade?
You can contact SquareTrade by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy a SquareTrade warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is SquareTrade worth it?

SquareTrade’s warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend SquareTrade as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

SquareTrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

A little over a year ago, I purchased a big screen "Smart Television" from a local retail store. It was a somewhat lofty price, but for a television of that size it was worth it. On check out, the gentleman at the store asked if I would like to purchase an "Extended Warranty". The added cost was minimal, so I thought about it for a moment and, due to the amount of electronics in today's "Smart Televisions", for the first time in my life I said "Yes" to an extended warranty. And I am so happy I did.

Two weeks after the normal warranty expired (which is generally 1 year), the television just up and quit while I was watching it. I retrieved the receipt and the "Extended Warranty Brochure" from my records. I saw the name "SquareTrade" (the company used by Allstate to handle claims such as this) and called the number listed. What transpired over the next 10-15 minutes was the best Customer Service experience that I have ever received from a company. The well spoken and knowledgeable agent had me run thru some last ditch efforts to breathe life back into my dead television. After these efforts proved fruitless, she told me that the main logic board at its heart had failed and that this failure was covered by the extended warranty. She further advised that a check would be mailed the following day and that I would receive it within 3-5 working days and on day 4 I received the check.

SquareTrade has made a believer out of me when it comes to purchasing extended warranties on high dollar electronics. The company should be proud of their Customer Service Agents because they set themselves apart from the rest.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

It's been a few years now, but I'll write all I can remember. I bought two identical TVs from Costco, I can't remember the size now, but they were both Vizios. A little over two years in one of the TVs started acting up. Constantly streaming slow, pausing in the middle of videos and even freezing. It got to the point where it had to be hard reset almost daily which caused it to need all info re-entered (Wifi, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) This was a major problem for my child cause that was all the TV was used for, she had no cable or ability to watch physical media. I switched TVs, since my other child wasn't using her TV at the time, but within a week the same thing happened.

I contacted SquareTrade, which directed me to contact Vizio and dialed them up as well. I updated the TVs and some other software things (not sure exactly what). I believe they had me wait a day to see it that fixed, but it didn't. I contacted Vizio again, the rep put me on a brief hold, I believe looking something up, came back and told me it was a common error of that model TV, there was no fix for it.

Vizio contacted SquareTrade, and I remember being on the call with both representatives, basically confirming information. Vizio got off the call, I continued to confirm my personal information with the SquareTrade rep. I was sent an email with the specs of the replacement TVs to review. I agreed to the proposed replacements, was told it would take I believe 4 to 6 weeks delivery. Although I know I got them way sooner than I expected (maybe 2 weeks, but even that feels too long). The new TVs had the remainder of the warranty transferred to it, but there was never a need to use it.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I got the warranty at Walmart when I purchased my Lenovo all-in-one computer. When I had questions about the warranty, a lot of the cashiers were not trained thoroughly to explain, like they really had to pull pamphlet up and there was a lot of, “I think it does this or you should be able to do this.” There was no basic guarantee. But because I know about it, I took it anyway.

I was using the computer one day and Lenovo sent me a message telling me that there's an update that needed to be installed. I tried to install the update, then once it was done, it asked me to restart the computer. But when I did the restart, the hard drive crashed because it wouldn’t boot up anymore. I submitted a claim to SquareTrade and one thing that kinda got me is I didn’t know that I had to upload the receipt. The cashier didn’t tell me that within a certain amount of time, I need to upload the receipt so I wouldn’t have to keep it. Because when my computer acted up and I went to the pamphlet that they gave me to try to file the claim, the receipt was pretty much faded out. So I didn’t have a lot of information that the website asked me about. Luckily, it was just some numbers that I was able to see through the receipt. I put it in, and they were able to find my warranty. After that, the process was kinda easy.

The only thing I didn’t like was when I discussed the claims for the computer, they told me that the warranty doesn’t cover software issues and they told me I had to call the company. When I called the company, they told me I had to pay them like $100 just for them to give me some type of feedback on what to do. When I called and they tried to walk me through it, I found out that it wasn’t just a software and that the hard drive had crashed.

The warranty portion and the customer service were fine. They helped me right away. They explained everything to me. They sound like they were concerned. They wanted to hurry up and get the issue taken care of. But it's part of their rules that they have to transfer the call over to technical support to try to diagnose the computer. But the tech support kinda felt like they didn’t wanna help me. They kept trying to push me off to either Lenovo or they tried to get me to purchase the flash drive for the operating system through Amazon. They pretty much treated me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.

I had to call a couple of times. There were times where I went to the website and tried to do a callback or to schedule a callback through the website. I did it a few times and it wouldn’t go through, so I literally had to call them myself with the 1-800 number. The technical support is the poor part. But the customer service and SquareTrade themselves were great.

Once I found out that the hard drive had crashed, I called back SquareTrade to edit the claim, and once I told them the issue, the process was pretty fast. They mailed me a FedEx box with a label. They told me to package the computer and send it back, or I could go to a repair center, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. I sent it off and I got it back yesterday.

When I got the computer back, the bottom of the computer is cracked. The speaker is cracked. I had to squeeze some pieces back together, like I had to put a little bit of tape on it. I took pictures of it. So I did a survey and explained what happened. I also did a claim through FedEx but it's so much paperwork they want me to do to try to file that claim.

SquareTrade installed the operating system back, but none of the drivers or software that Lenovo originally had in the computer that came factory installed is there anymore. It's basically a blank Windows computer. They wiped the computer completely. I don’t have any software. There's no Lenovo software in the computer at all. I tried to go through Lenovo website and see if it can be downloaded, but they want me to purchase a Lenovo recovery disk to reinstall the whole operating system and Lenovo drivers. But that’s 30 bucks plus shipping. It's like one thing after the other. Also, the power button is real shaky. In fact, I have to press it hard just to cut the computer on.

Original review: April 1, 2020

We have all kinds protection plans from SquareTrade because we're a business. We always buy a lot of things - the computers, printers - so we always try to protect everything. My HP printer was spreading the color. It won't give me a clear result and it gets lines every time. At first, I went to Office Depot because I lost my receipt. I got my warranty uploaded but I didn't submit my receipt at the time. And then, I went to Office Depot and they said, "We cannot pull out. That's a year old." So then, we called my accountant because we have a business and had all the data on the file. So, I just pulled up all the files about the date and everything, then I saw it.

SquareTrade tried to help me out to fix it but they could not. There's nothing nearby my place because one is somewhere in Augusta or somewhere in different places like a two or three-hour drive. And then the rep said, "Okay, let me try something else." He put me on hold and then he said, "Okay, let me see what I can do." And then he just put me and say, "Okay, you can just replace it because we won't be able to help you out somehow."

I got not the full amount because I went with the amount and I lost it because I used their amount. It's not much but still, I had to put some from my pocket when I bought another one. It's good because they change something on the printer every other two years. If you're losing $200, it's not bad because still, you got 200 more in a new one. It's a give and take. The new one is a better, different version, and you a lot of upgrade things - it's easy, emails directly from the scanning and everything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We purchased a SquareTrade protection plan for my Note 9 phone. At the time, it was at Sam’s Club and I had gotten a good deal with getting 300 on a visa card to get the Note 9. When they told me that it was $99-protection, which is cheaper than AT&T would be if I were to do their monthly plan, I took it. However, I was misinformed on the aspect that the phone can get broken twice for two years, once every year. I didn't realize that I had to pay $139 on top of my $99, which still is cheaper. It was originally explained that it was $99 for two years. I was told that if your phone has any issues or breaks in those 2 years two times, you can get it replaced for free. Their rep were very nice though. It was a Sam’s Club associate who deals with the phones and the SquareTrade with it.

My phone fell on the rocks in the winter and cracked. I let it go but as I was listening to music on my phone, my screen just went blank. If somebody was Facebooking me, it’d still beep, but it was a black screen, so that was why I had to get it replaced right away. My husband filed a claim online and the process was very easy. I wasn’t waiting for a new phone because all my information was on this phone ,even my calendar, and I didn’t iCloud any of it. I was very upset. I have doctor’s appointments and I don’t even know when they are. But I took the SIM out and put it in my old S7 phone. So, I just brought back my calendar, which was good. But in the meantime, my husband found a location that does SquareTrade out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And then, once they got the screen in, we went down and had it replaced.

It wasn’t SquareTrade's fault, but my S Pens wouldn’t fit in the screen because that’s where it clicks in. And my phone, I don’t know whatever screen they sent me. Supposedly, it was new from Samsung, but it did not work. My internet was in and out and I was getting dropped phone calls. I didn’t have service where I always have service. Thank god I was getting another screen in because of the S Pen. So, that whole situation was ridiculous. I wasn't too happy. I had called SquareTrade to say I had to make another three-hour trip to Harrisburg and I wanted it reimbursed because it wasn’t my fault that SquareTrade and Samsung gave me a bad screen. And the lady I spoke with laughed when I said, “Of course, you're not gonna do nothing.” So, I hung up on her. I was so mad. But I just chalked it up as people are ignorant. Of course, any company’s gonna try to get out of doing any more than they have to. That’s how it is.

I even dealt with the people that did the screen replacing and the manager in the background was a jerk. I told the employee on the phone that I heard the manager on the background. He’s supposed to be professional. It ain’t my fault that I brought my phone to them. It now needs to be replaced, and now, they're not telling me when I’m getting my screen. One minute they're saying, ‘He ordered it Saturday,’ but now, they don’t know if it was ordered.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I purchased the warranty for my custom pc, and was approved to do repairs. I called customer service and spoke to Moe on July 29th at 3:28 pm and I explained that the video card was not available and I could not purchase the card and have it installed anywhere. Moe told me as long as I bought the equivalent card it would be ok, and that putting the card in isn't hard and that I could do it myself if I was capable of doing so since I was authorized to get it fixed myself I could do this. After testing the pc the motherboard and video card were both bad. I replaced both and submitted the information.

1st they would not accept the invoices form New Egg, this took two weeks for them to approve. 2nd then they told me I was not qualified to replace the card, I have been a pc tech for 20+ years, was a Dell and Hp authorized tech and did repairs. 3rd then after three weeks of this they said, "Ok, the parts you used were upgrades." No they have the same specs and what was replaced. They said, "Well have new egg say that the parts were not available." This is 3 weeks after the initial purchase. I contact new egg and they say, "We have no way of telling what was in stock at the time of your purchase."

6 weeks later after I explain this request the transcript of the conversation where they said I could install myself, and use different parts, they tell me, "We don't cover upgrades." I called first before I bought the parts to make sure they would be covered, was told yes, and now they won't honor what was said. I asked for a copy of the transcript, they said they have it, but they will not release it to me. I have emails documenting all of this, been told by reps and managers, "We will call you back." No calls. I received one call at 12 a.m and no voicemail was left, but I did get an email saying I missed the call. I could see if I replaced the parts with ones that were actual upgrades, but they were replaced with parts that were the same specs, because the original parts were not available, which I called and stated, and was told to buy the equivalent.

SquareTrade response

Hello Joseph,

We apologize for any dissatisfaction you have experienced during your claim.

We do our best to provide our consumers with a smooth and hassle-free claim filing process. We provide each specialist with extensive training regarding their specific field of expertise to effectively assist you through your claim.

Our local repair resolution allows the consumer to visit a trusted repair shop of their choosing at their convenience. Once the item is successfully repaired, all that is left is to submit us the itemized invoice so that we can provide full reimbursement of repair fees. If they cannot complete the repair due to parts being unavailable, we request the consumer reach out to us for an alternate resolution.

In cases where parts are consumer replaceable, we ask the consumer to purchase comparable replacements to install. If that cannot be achieved, we ask the consumer to reach out to us for an alternate resolution.

We have reached out to you directly to address your concerns.

TG

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

When our Samsung 50" TV began to display black areas on various parts of the screen we contacted Square Trade to report the problem. They asked us to send them a few pictures of the screen. Immediately afterward they responded and within a week we had a new replacement TV delivered to our door. Stellar customer service!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

The first contact was made to Costco on August 26 who supplied all necessary info. From there until today it was total confusion & delays. 3 weeks is way too long to wait for a process that should be only a few days. Everyone was however professional and polite right down to the service tech. Way too long of a process.

SquareTrade response

Hello Dennis,

We're sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with your recent claim.

SquareTrade does our best to provide our customers with efficient and effective resolutions since we want to make the claim experience as hassle-free as possible. For TV claims, there are many teams that work together in order to provide a resolution. However, our goal is to ensure we avoid any issues that can cause a delay. We are sorry that this was not your experience.

At this time, one of our specialists has reached out to you to provide additional support.

PB

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Over several months my Fitbit display gradually faded and eventually went blank. I submitted a claim and was advised that a replacement device would be sent out within 2-3 days. I received it 5-7 days later and everything is now working perfectly. Thank you very much.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Bought this TV on the internet 2 years ago so thought the 3 year warranty might be a good idea. Was a bit concerned about how this would all work out when I called, but everyone was knowledgeable and helpful and soon had me all squared away.

SquareTrade Company Information