formerly SquareTrade

4.2/5 (437 ratings)

About Allstate Protection Plans

Allstate Protection Plans offers device warranties and protection. The company has programs for every type of tech device and offers online claims, free shipping on repairs and no hidden fees. The plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

Pros

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

Cons

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Bottom Line

Allstate Protection Plans offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were br...

Verified

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy cus...

What is Allstate Protection Plans?

Allstate Protection Plans' device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by Allstate Protection Plans' warranties:

Smartphones
Allstate Protection Plans' smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to Allstate Protection Plans using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year Allstate Protection Plans warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using Allstate Protection Plans' mail-in service.
Appliances
Allstate Protection Plans covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
Allstate Protection Plans provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

Allstate Protection Plans' coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does an Allstate Protection Plans warranty work?

You can file a claim with Allstate Protection Plans online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a Allstate Protection Plans representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If Allstate Protection Plans is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does Allstate Protection Plans cost?

The cost of an Allstate Protection Plans warranty varies depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for Allstate Protection Plans' coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
iPads$109 to $259$0 to $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

Allstate Protection Plans FAQ

Does Allstate Protection Plans repair or replace?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does Allstate Protection Plans insurance work?
Allstate Protection Plans repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
An Allstate Protection Plans warranty can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact Allstate Protection Plans?
You can contact Allstate Protection Plans by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy an Allstate Protection Plans warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is Allstate Protection Plans worth it?

Allstate Protection Plans' warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend Allstate Protection Plans as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: April 17, 2021

I purchased my phone from Costco and the salesman made a good case for SquareTrade and made it seem like a better option than taking the classic AppleCare. It was very enticing so I decided to go with it. The frame of my iPhone bent a little bit which caused the back glass of it to crack a little bit. I was worried that water might get into it so I filed a claim in early January. The process was seamless. I had a few options which were 1) get it fixed here and have the check sent minus the deductible, 2) send the iPhone to SquareTrade to be repaired and 3) get a replacement phone which is a refurbished phone. I opted for the third one because I couldn't stay without my phone for so long.

I received the phone probably a week later. It was back and forth back then because I didn't receive any receipts or tracking number for some time. Eventually, I called and the gentleman was very helpful and told me that the phone was in the mail. I received the phone, activated it and sent back my old phone. However, the phone that I received died a month and a half later. Since I got the new phone replacement, it was in a case. I was making sure that nothing happened to it. I let it charge overnight. In the morning, I picked up the phone and it was stuck on the boot screen. I tried to restore it but it didn't work. I set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. They took a look at the phone and said, “It’s not worth it to fix it. It would cost like $500 to replace that motherboard.”

That was when I decided to call SquareTrade. The first person who helped me said they couldn't do anything about it because my warranty just expired. I was upset with it. I called a second time. The rep escalated to his supervisor or manager and he was super helpful. He understood and walked me through my experience. He listened to the concern and found the solution for it which was good. I sent back the phone and he said, "I got a check issued that covered that phone." I was very happy with that service. We're using SquareTrade for a watch and I'm willing to purchase it again whenever I get new electronics.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2021

When I was buying our 4-channel security system, it was our first security system being put up. Prior to that, I was scammed a few times. I wanted to make sure if it came broken, I wouldn't be stuck with something that was broken. Every two weeks, the whole system shuts down and restarts, which is normal because that's what it does. One day, I looked at the camera and it was off. The time was going, but there was no video, and I was like, "Okay, well, I'll see if someone can come go up there, look at it, and see what's wrong with it."

I couldn't just call someone and be like, "Come fix my cameras." So, after a month or two, the tech looked at it, tried to fix it, and tried re-plugging it in. I tried restarting the system a couple of times. It wouldn't come back on for some reason. So, I got in my email and I tried to see if I still had a warranty on it because it took us almost six months to put it up. We finally got it put up and it was doing good for a while, and then just randomly went off. I tried everything to fix it and that didn't do anything. So, I called to see what I should do, like if there was something that could be done.

I contacted All State first and they had me explain what it was. I told them the receipt information that I had and they set everything up. At first, they were like, "Okay, so you can take the system down and send it in, and then we'll fix it and send it back." I said, "That just sounds absolutely ridiculous. I expected to either send it back and get a new one or something, but not wait for it to get fixed." With COVID, everything's so much slower. And I was like, "If anything, it would be easier to do what I just did - ordered another set." As these got taken down, we put the new ones right in the other spots.

The option that they agreed to with their supervisor was when I get the system down, I could send it in and they would just refund me for my purchase. It worked out. I got the money back for the system and I was able to get another system. It took a bit and I was upset at first because I said, "I don't know how you expect me to just take this system down and then re-put it back up whenever you're done fixing it." But then they said, "Well, you can send it back if you want, and obviously just get another security system somewhere from us or whatever." I agreed to that to make it easier. A whole swap-out. They did good with making sure that at least I got something out of it. I'm glad I have the protection plan. If I didn't call, it would still be messed up and I would have no idea that I could get it fixed.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Our printer ran out of ink, so we put the ink and it started working normally for maybe a week. After a week, my son was printing a project which had 100 pages. On page number 30, the printer started making this noise when you buy a printer the first time and it allocates the ink properly. Then it stopped printing and it said, “Remove cartridge and put it back again.” So we did it and it started printing again. Then after page number five, we heard like poof and when we went to the printer, it was full of black ink. It said to remove the ink again. We removed the ink and cleaned it. We thought that it was the cartridge that came bad. We had another one brand new and put it in but it kept saying something about a mechanical issue and it couldn't read the ink. And it was full of ink inside and out.

I called B&H to troubleshoot because I bought the printer there. They were really helpful and they got me to different steps to see what was going on. It was not fixable based on the troubleshooting. They reminded me that I had the insurance to call for repair. So I called Allstate and explained the same thing to them, what happened and that it was an issue with the ink that exploding side while printing. Then they told me that they were gonna replace it or send it for repair. I don't know. But I live in the desert of Arizona. So the only FedEx location that was close to me was closed and the other one was like an hour away.

I called FedEx and they said that the people that can request pickup was Allstate because the label that I had was for drop-off. I was willing but I was not going to drive an hour and come back. So Allstate told me that the other option was to refund the money. I was fine with it. The printer was here, so they just asked me to discard it. They already had the receipt on file, so didn't ask for anything. I got the money back and we were pretty pleased.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I put an extended coverage on an Xbox One wireless controller. SquareTrade was offered at the tech stand when I bought it at Target. It was my sixth controller that I've purchased over the years. They usually don't last. The manufacturer's warranty from Microsoft covers 90 days. Their thumbsticks usually go bad after 90 days to where you have a wandering cursor on the screen. I haven't had very good luck with buying one and having it last for beyond that 90-day period.

One of the buttons randomly stopped working the way it's supposed to. It's the right bumper on the controller. You got to push it and it works sometimes. But it's like one out of every four pushes. I tried to submit a claim. It was a couple of months after the original warranty had run out. Then it was telling me that usually these warranties last for a year. I knew it wasn't a year but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to submit the claim any further. Then I got close to a year and I was thinking about it. I haven't used this controller in a long time. I used my kid's small controller that I bought instead. I thought to try to submit a claim again so I went to initiate it. It was a week before that year mark. All I did was click on the chat button and explain to someone I wanted to make a claim on it. He said I couldn't yet but whoever was on the end of the chat helped me go ahead and do that.

The rep was really good. I've had bad experiences with chat representatives and customer service before where they're busy with multiple things and they don't respond quickly. But the rep was incredibly fast. Almost before I'd respond and hit enter, he could type a response within seconds. He knew what I was talking about and how to help me. I got the claim in when I was thinking I'd probably abandon it and try again in a week when it's been past that year mark. In this case, SquareTrade saved me from having to spend the full $70 that these controllers cost. That was valuable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I went to the store and they have little pamphlets next to the TV that say SquareTrade. The person at the register also said something about getting a warranty. It made perfect sense. I was already gonna spend so much for a TV. So it's probably smarter to get the warranty. The screen started having a shadow, like a burn mark in the middle of the screen all the way up. It's starting to get worse over the last few weeks. It's like someone put a pole in front of the TV and there's a black shadow.

When we called SquareTrade, they said they were gonna need some things to start the claim. They said we need the original original receipt but I told them that was impossible because I bought the TV three years ago. So they said that I could go in the store and get a printout of it. They gave me a checklist of what I was gonna need. We went into Costco and we got the original receipt and then they gave us the SquareTrade information. I scanned and emailed over what they asked for.

In the beginning, they gave me two options for a TV. They told me to choose a TV and that the options were both gonna be great. I took their word for it and said okay, and I chose the TV without really looking into it. I was reading up on it and the last four digits just showed where the TV was made. So it was the exact same TV and the only thing that was different was location. I push the button and about two hours later I get an email saying that my TV was ordered. Then I looked at the specs and this TV was not even close to our TV. Our TV was top of the line. But that was my fault. I should've done more due diligence in looking into that, but I didn't. I called SquareTrade and told them that they needed to stop that shipping because the TV that they were sending out was not up to standard. It was not what I paid for. They were sending me an entry-level TV.

They said that they were gonna work on it and they ended up sending a TV, and then they reversed the TV. So they called UPS to get back. Then when UPS got back, I called SquareTrade again and asked for more options that they have. They said they were gonna work on it. Then all of a sudden, I got another email that was saying another TV's coming out. But I never picked it at all. I was dealing with this lady named Marty who ended up being a great person. She's a supervisor for the warranty support team of SquareTrade. She ended up handling everything. She told me these people didn't read the notes and they ended up sending me another TV thinking that I needed a TV. Marty ended up going above and beyond, and she said they stopped that TV from coming and the second TV. They ended up refunding the amount for the TV so they would get another TV.

It ended up working out. But it was a little lengthy. It was about a two-week process and it was stressful of what was going on because it should be easier than that. If someone has a top of the line TV, don't try to sell them a Daewoo for a Samsung. If I give you a Lexus, don't give me a Honda back. But Marty did an excellent job.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

The warranty paperwork states under provision clause #7 that if cash claim is offered it would be equal to a similar item with similar features/benefits. I was initially only offered $328.00 on a 22 month old 55 inch television that I got on a black Friday sale. The same size, brand, and model is currently $600.00. HOW IS THAT EVEN CLOSE to resolving my situation in a fair manner?

It took 2 different people and 3 calls to get another offer. This time it was $378.00. The rep. said that that was all they could do. I tried to explain that your own warranty paperwork states I would get it either replaced with a like model OR an appropriate cash settlement that would buy a like model. After over an hour I was offered $400.00. I was in absolute tears, stressed out, and exhausted (which is a crappy place to be as a stage 4 cancer patient ). As it is I can't afford to get another quality 55 inch Samsung T.V. of similar quality and value. Now I have no television in my living room, because anything smaller I wouldn't be able to properly see the screen.

I bought the warranty because I wanted my T.V. repaired or replaced with a similar quality should anything happen. After all, THAT is what Square Trade by Allstate promises in their paperwork. However, that is not what they delivered. The warranty was NOT supported nor honored by this fraudulent advertisement. I am so upset, as T.V. is about the only thing I can even do right now. Chemotherapy is a beast, so t.v. WAS my lifeline. Thanks to this crappy resolution this company literally cut off my lifeline. I couldn't be more disappointed and disgusted with Square Trade by All-State.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hi Dena,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve experienced any frustration while filing a claim on your TV.

SquareTrade Protection Plans cover a wide variety of issues; however, the Terms & Conditions state that coverage is limited to the amount spent on the item at purchase. Our customers often purchase their items on sale, which can lead to circumstances where we are unable to replace the item because a comparable model costs more than the original purchase price. In these cases, we may offer other alternatives, such as reimbursement for the purchase price or a repair, if possible.

A member of our team has contacted you regarding your concerns, and we are happy that we have been able to come to a satisfactory resolution that meets your expectations.

WC

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Great Customer Services from the start on the Phone. Super fast to get my laptop back to me. They fix my laptop two difference times. All Great Service. Your Staff are Helpful and Caring People. Thank you Guys for being for me. Paul **

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Contacted Allstate as I was having problems with my Dell Laptop. First, My first contact was Victor, who efficiently transferred me to Erik, Computer Tier 2/Tech Support agent assigned to my case, he was very professional, and knowledgeable. He helped me on the phone, to solve the issue without needing to send the computer for repair or losing any data. Thank you Allstate, Victor, and Erik.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

Poor mediocre service slow, slow, slow on compensation. Authentically genuinely fake. Put your compensation where your mouth is and your Bank book. Allstate is sad and their auxiliary coverages companies. Send the damn check and I'll tell you exactly how good and bad you are.

Allstate Protection Plans response

We apologize for any frustration surrounding your claim.

SquareTrade does our best to provide our customers with efficient and effective resolutions.

In the event a payment is not received within the timeframe provided, our goal is to correct the issue before it causes any further delays. We are sorry this was not your experience.

Again, we truly apologize for any trouble you experienced during the claim process. At this time, one of our specialists has reached out to you to provide additional support.

MC

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

WiFi not working due to chip issues. Parts received in 2 days, technician showed up in 2 days, resolved issues in less than an hour, expertly done, extremely knowledgeable technician. Best extended warranty ever paid for Squaretrade through Costco.

Allstate Protection Plans Company Information