3.55/5
Based on 1,031 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1482 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I bought a TV at Costco and they suggested that I get a SquareTrade warranty on it. It was two and a half years old, and all of a sudden, one-quarter of the screen started going dark. I called SquareTrade to file a claim. I went through a voice menu which was very confusing. Especially when I had a recall, they would say, “To do an existing claim,” and then I’d hit that and then they would go through this whole thing and give me this list of stuff I didn’t want. Then they'd ask what kind of appliance it was and when I did that, it was just like a voicemail jail. And the last one, instead of just “Stay on the line and get a representative,” it was “Go back to the main menu,” so I had to go through it again. But once I got to talk to people, they were all very nice.

I explained everything to them and then they switched me to the TV department when I was saying it was TV and what the problem was. And then I had to explain everything over again. They didn’t transfer all that knowledge somehow and so they could do better at that. Then they did a lot of diagnostics over the telephone which was fine but I didn’t realize how involved I was gonna be at that time. I’m almost 80 but I’m actually pretty tech savvy for my age. They asked for the serial number, and the serial number is on the back of the TV and it is so tiny. I had to get my glasses and a flashlight in order to get it. I had to move the TV but I have a stand that has sliders so that wasn’t too bad.

I had unplugged everything and then later on, replugged it in. I had four things to unplug in the back of the set, and there were about nine different plugs. I managed to get them all in the same place where they were. Then SquareTrade said that the TV couldn't be repaired and they would send me a new one but they wanted three pictures taken of the screen under certain circumstances and email those pictures to them. I got my grandson to do that and SquareTrade got back to me within a day saying they would do it immediately.

We ordered another TV and SquareTrade said that it would be delivered on such date and that I would hear from Best Buy. They gave me choices between the three and I picked one and they verified that in the email that it would be coming on the 16th. On the 14th, somebody from Best Buy called me and left a message. I called the lady back and she verified the TV that I had chosen, as well as it would be delivered on the 16th, between seven and one. I asked her if they would really come at 7 AM as I don’t really wanna get up that early. She said they would call me the next day and give me a smaller window. They called and said they were gonna be here between 10:30 and 12:30 on Saturday, the 16th.

I made arrangements for my grandson to be here to put it together once they came and set it up. I stayed home the entire time, didn’t go any place. By 1:15, I thought it was kinda goofy so I called Best Buy and got somebody on Geek Squad. He looked at all kinds of screens and then he said that the TV was not available anymore. When they went to load the truck on Friday night, and I had gotten a call at 7 that they weren’t gonna be here the next day so sometime after that, they found out that they didn’t even have that set. He asked if anyone called me and I said no one. It took them two weeks to figure out they didn’t have that one, and he said this was from Best Buy, that he couldn’t do anything about it. I have to deal with SquareTrade again.

I started all over. I called SquareTrade on a Saturday and got someone. He told me that the TV guys weren’t there and so he couldn't do a lot that da but he'd put me on high priority for Monday morning. They contacted me on Monday morning and I explained what happened. They redid it and said that they would take care of it. On Tuesday, they said that they couldn't find the TV we picked out originally but they got such and such a one and asked me if I could authorize that, which I did, and then I got a confirmation on that. They would be getting this TV from Costco. It was more reliable ‘cause that was where I bought it to begin with, so that’s where it is now.

I wrote a letter back to SquareTrade saying I was upset about what happened. I told them to tell Best Buy that computers today do a very good job with inventory control. As soon as SquareTrade said I picked this TV, that should have gone into Best Buy's inventory control. If they had one, it would go out of inventory, or it would come back in a day or two saying that they don’t have it, but nothing at all. This woman from Best Buy that I talked to that verified with me should have at least got two days to figure out if they have one. If they would have known anytime in those two weeks, they could have let SquareTrade know and I could have picked out a new one a week ago. But overall, I'm satisfied with SquareTrade.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I had bought a Tenda brand AC18 router from eBay in March, 2018. It worked great for 2 months, and then suddenly bricked. I tried everything to revive it, but nothing would work. I called Tenda for an RMA since SquareTrade suggests dealing with the manufacturer in the first year instead of filing a claim. Tenda denied my RMA on the grounds that it was sold to me on eBay, and they're not an 'authorized distributor'. Despite it was brand new and I have returned new items bought from eBay to other manufacturers with no problem. They also took a couple of weeks to respond to emails. But they suggested going trying SquareTrade again so I did just that.

After using the live chat to talk to a rep and submitting the requested emails I exchanged with Tenda, SquareTrade had no problem honoring my claim and sending me the full amount. However, at first they will try to send you some lesser amount than what your purchase price was, saying "this value is determined by the system dependent upon the time when the item was purchased and the issue that is being faced with the item."

I told them I didn't understand and after asking how it all works since I thought the coverage was for what I paid on the item. They said they'll talk to their supervisor and thankfully they decided to give me the full purchase price back in the form of 2 checks (one for lesser amount offered and the other for the remaining amount to purchase price, which don't come on the same day, I had to wait a week for the second). I guess I can understand from a general business perspective, they will try to hold onto as much money as they can. You just don't want to be a pushover for their initial offer if it is less than what you paid.

The only other problem I have with SquareTrade is that their site is needlessly simplistic, and otherwise not very intuitive. There was no process to file a claim within 1 year of manufacturer warranty except through the live chat which only shows up on certain pages. Other than that, I got covered without issue. Tenda on the other hand, not so much.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I called SquareTrade when my computer just turned off. The options were either I send it in or they send the technician out. They sent it to one of the technicians that they have in my area. The technicians would have never called me, so I called them because I got their number from SquareTrade. But the technician said that they didn't handle my kind of computer. So I called SquareTrade and told them what happened, and they apologized. I asked them to send me their database and all that pieces of equipment that this company handles. They were kinda in and out of what happened. But the guy said that they would just get my box right away and have it sent out overnighted.

When I got the box, they sent the Styrofoam that wrapped around the computer, but the box wasn't big enough. The computer would squeeze in without Styrofoam around it. I called SquareTrade back, and the guy was apologetic and he was right on it. He told me to take it to FedEx store because they already have the FedEx label on the box, and have them wrap it, then send them my receipt, and they would reimburse me. I've sent the receipt, but haven't received the reimbursement yet. But the computer has been sent in. I got an email telling me that they've received it, and that they would fix it in the next two to five days.

When I received the computer, I turned it on and it worked. So far, so good. SquareTrade was good in handling the situation. Everyone was apologetic and they were right on it. They did not give me the runaround or try to cock me into thinking it was my fault. I knew upfront that if they can't fix the computer, they'll reimburse me what I paid for it so I can buy another one. But SquareTrade should have known the functions of the computer, and they should have known what their technicians can or can't handle.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I sent SquareTrade an iPad which had a cracked screen but it was still working. I was very hesitant on mailing it out because I haven’t sent in something but my warranty was getting ready to expire and so, I sent it to them. When it came back, the screen was fixed but when I powered it on, it was black and blue 5 inches from the top of the screen. I had to make another phone call. Inside the packaging, it was checked off by two people that this was in great, working order and it was packaged with a lot of bubble tape. I sent it back to them and when I got it back, it was worse. The screen might have been replaced but when I powered it on, there was nothing coming on and it was glitching on the screen.

I called again and Lonnie, the guy I spoke to, was helpful. He told me to mail it back to a particular place and they will send me back what I paid for that iPad. I mailed it and they said that once they see that it has been checked off by Federal Express, they will send me a check immediately which they did. That was great and I could get a brand-new one but it should not have happened in the first place. The guy took a wrong and he made it right. So, I’m giving him credit as far as what they did to compensate me on that. My wife had a little bit of a crack on the screen. I was out of warranty now, and it was the same thing. My wife really uses the iPad and I use it periodically so, I told her to let me send mine first and we would see how they do it. Even though it was out of warranty, the guy allowed me to send my wife’s iPad and they would repair it. They did a good job on resolving it, so I have to give them props on that.

I purchased the SquareTrade insurance a few days after I purchased my iPad from ABT. I like ABT and I ordered it from them. I have a guy who I personally deal with which was where I heard about SquareTrade. I searched it and the prices were a little bit different. It was a little bit cheaper for me to buy it outside of SquareTrade but I bought the three years and I paid for my iPad Apple Air $579. It was what they gave back to me. I used it for three years, and they gave me back my money. It was a good deal.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I purchased a protection plan for a Samsung 60-inch TV from Costco. SquareTrade was the one that they were offering and they told me I had to deal with SquareTrade. When I was watching TV, it turned black all of a sudden. Nothing was showing on the screen, so I thought the timer had shut down the TV. I pressed the power button on the remote, but nothing came on. I went to the TV and when I pressed the power button there, it didn’t come on. I checked the plug and I changed the connection to a different socket. I tried everything, but nothing worked. I called Costco, and I told them that my TV just died on me.

I checked and noticed that my extended warranty was still valid until some time in December. They connected me to SquareTrade and I explained the same thing to the SquareTrade agent. He went to the same process again. He told me to try and do a reset on the TV, and it was gonna come on. He also told me some steps I had to follow on my TV. I did the reset, but it still didn’t come on.

He then said that I would have to get someone to fix it and when they fix it, I should get them to issue me a computerized receipt with a paid stamp on it. I would pay for that myself and when I send in the receipt online, once they receive it, they would process it and issue me a refund. They gave me a couple of referrals around my area. I called those once, but nobody answered, so I went online myself and I got one of them. I called and the man said that he was gonna come and look at it the next day.

The guy came and looked at the power. He opened up the TV and noticed that something was bad. He said he had to take it back to his shop and see if he could get a replacement. He eventually did that and came back with the replacement part after a day or two and installed the back on the TV. It has been working since then. I emailed the receipt to SquareTrade through their website and after they received it, they processed and told me that they will be issuing me a refund check in the mail. I’m still waiting for the check to arrive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2019

I have bought the LG Bluetooth Headset from eBay on Oct 2016 with SquareTrade 3 yrs warranty paying $17.99. My warranty was delivered online with account creating option. I created an account and registered the product that I have bought. I still can see the product is listed under "Active warranties". Now it's been little over two and a half year and my headset stopped working. I tried to file a claim with all the info that I could gather and eBay had provided me. eBay has sent me two emails, one for Order confirmation and one for Shipped notification and had active product details link but I never received an actual receipt.

I uploaded screenshots of eBay email confirmation, SquareTrade acknowledgment email confirmation on purchase warranty and transaction from my credit card statement but now they keep asking receipt which I was never provided. Even having all the information on their file they are refusing services, only because they know eBay do not keep 3 yrs histories so they do not have to fulfill the warranty. Very disappointed. I would highly recommend all of you out there to stay out of SquareTrade scam.

Hello G G,

We apologize for any difficulty you experienced with this claim.

Squaretrade requires a purchase receipt for almost all warranties we have on file, for each purchase receipt we require specific information in order for that policy to be considered valid. In this case we did receive several different documents but these did not contain all the necessary information.

When this was brought to our attention a specialist reached out to discuss the situation with you, as well as to determine a resolution to your concern. Based on our conversation we came to a result satisfactory to both parties and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to speak with us.

KM

Original review: May 23, 2019

If it had an option to rate negative on this I would. I purchased a plan with them. Couple of months later my son's 2DS fell off his dresser and it cracked the top screen so I know I had purchased the protection for accidental. So long story short I called about a clean. They said I didn't have accidental protection that I had standard. I told them know I told Walmart specifically I needed The Accidental because the game is for a three-year-old. They did not want to listen to anything I said. Instead they just kept cutting me off, being rude, being objective to everything I said, did not let me get anything in, didn't want to listen to nothing I said. I even have the receipt and they still didn't cover my item. My son's brand new game not even one month is here in my dresser just sitting there and they can't do nothing about it. I feel ripped off or and rob by this company.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

Filing a claim or receiving any type of assistance from SquareTrade is very time consuming, not consumer friendly and very frustrating. I do recommend using this company. It has taken me DAYS to schedule a service call for my less than 3 year old dishwasher and I am STILL trying. My time and money will be better spent scheduling it myself. Do not use SquareTrade.

Hello Amy,

We're sorry for any difficulty with your claim.

Squaretrade does our best to make your claims process quick and hassle-free but in certain instances we'll need additional information or documentation to proceed. Your claims have been approved as recently as yesterday and if you need additional assistance regarding the next steps please contact our appliance team.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Very poor thus far. I have called in TWICE (UPDATE-Now 3!) with no resolution on a mechanically broken product. The worst part is that I was to receive an email from them so I could reply with information they were requesting -however- I never received the email! I am not able to file a claim online. My claim # is not showing up in their system. So.... I have to call them back YET AGAIN. THIS HAS BECOME A MONTH LONG PROCESS that still isn't resolved. Very disappointing and unfair when I purchased this plan to protect my investment; yet I am not being protected, and my expensive product is now a complete waste at the time of year when we want to use it most.

Update on my THIRD CALL: Customer service clearly didn't want to stay on the phone with me to make sure my issue was resolved. I STILL don't know if it will be! I requested they wait on the phone with me since they did not fulfill their end as promised after the last phone call! Horrible service. GO WITH ASSURANT!!! My product claim was processed within 48 hours (only took that long because they needed a copy of my receipt, but were prompt in responding)! Claim was for about the same price as this claim through SquareTrade. SHAME ON YOU, SquareTrade! ICK

Hello Tara,

We're sorry to hear of any dissatisfaction with your claims experience.

When your claim was initially filed Squaretrade referred you to the item manufacturer for service, which is a standard process for our claims and includes multiple benefits for our customers. When we were notified they were unable to assist we requested an copy of your item receipt, once provided your claim was approved for a reimbursement resolution.

We understand you felt this process caused great inconvenience and we will extensively review your experience to see where we can improve. We hope to exceed your expectations on a future claim and we appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

I've never had so much complication with a warranty before. Everything seemed so smooth and easy but it took 3 tries and a couple of months to get a check sent to the correct address. I prefer the company previously used.

Hello Rayven,

We're sorry for any delay with receiving your payment.

Squaretrade has several policies in place to ensure consumers are provided their payment in an expeditious manner. This includes confirming the best address during the claim filing and resending the check to an alternative address if needed.

We understand you experienced difficulty with this process and we will be reviewing your claim to see where we can improve. We again apologize for your experience and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2019

This practice of not covering the most common issues is predatory, at best. In 2019 it is fair and reasonable for a person to expect that buying insurance on an object would cover physical or accidental damage to that object. If Allstate sold car insurance that didn't cover such damage it would not be in business due to class action lawsuits and building a reputation of acting in bad faith.

When I purchased a protection plan for my Nintendo switch, I was told I was buying the version of the plan that covered accidents like cracked screens and liquid damage. A couple months later, my kid drops it in water, it won't turn on or charge. Upon filing my claim, I got the following response from SquareTrade. "Looks like you reported accidental or physical damage. Your plan is a Standard protection plan that covers electrical and mechanical failures only. What happens next? We're sorry we couldn't help you this time, but you're still covered for any electrical and mechanical failures in the future. If your item is beyond repair, please visit our help page for cancelling a plan." Obviously, any reasonable person would buy coverage for the two things we all know are the most common issues for portable electronics, cracked screens and liquid damage. It is not my fault that I did not get the coverage that I thought I was paying for.

Hello Benjamin,

We apologize for any miscommunication regarding your warranty.

Squaretrade offers Standard and Accidental Protection plans, both of which include varying degrees of coverage. In this instance your product was covered by a Standard plan, of which covers hardware and electrical failures due to normal usage.

We understand you felt this was not how the plan was advertised and this is something we take great concern in addressing. One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation, though we've yet to make contact. We hope to speak with you soon and to improve your experience with our company.

Original review: May 17, 2019

The air fryer did not work as described. One call got return information. Return was issued quickly. Each time I've had any trouble with things I've purchased they have taken care of it. I had a slight problem with headphones I purchased. When told how to handle the return I was certain the agent told me to throw the old pair in the trash. SquareTrade sent me new ones. When the new ones broke I just threw those in the trash. Then I got a bill for the first replacement set. I called and they explained that I had not returned the broken pair. We talked more and I understood exactly what happened and Amazon understood what I was saying. They canceled the bill for the replacement pair. SquareTrade is a great deal and company. I highly recommend the extended warranty for any product that offers it.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I bought a SquareTrade protection plan for my Samsung TV from Costco. I bought it because it was offered through Costco. On April 25th 2019, My TV blacked out all of a sudden. Opened a claim with SquareTrade, went through troubleshooting steps with a technician on phone. Technician "figured" out what the problem was and informed me that In-Person repair will be provided and the spare parts will be shipped directly to me. Took a week for the parts to arrive and get the next available appointment. Service Provider may not honor your selected slot. I've selected 8 am - 12 pm slot but got the message from them that they would come after 1pm. In-Person technician couldn't repair the tv with the parts Squaretrade has sent. Squaretrade confirmed that TV is not repairable and would replace my TV. Until this point, the whole communication/experience about the repair was OK.

But after that it was painful. They've sent LG replacement options for a Samsung TV. Since I have Samsung accessories I've asked for Samsung options. They've sent me a Samsung option but it's a cheaper option compared with my current TV. After emailing them twice saying that I didn't like their option, I've never received any reply. When I called them after waiting for a week I was told they never received my emails. At this point you are at the mercy of the Squaretrade for a comparable TV. You will not be offered reimbursement if you don't like their option. You have to take whatever they give you. After more than 20 days, spending a lot of time on phone, troubleshooting, in-person repair, I'm still without a TV. When we hear names like Costco, AllState (parent company of SquareTrade), we tend to believe SquareTrade is a fair company. But it's not. I'll stay away from this company.

Hello Manu,

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your claim.

Squaretrade offers repair, replacement and reimbursement as our resolutions. These resolutions are determined based on your item category and the issue it is experiencing, though our first intent is to always offer repair when eligible. In this case we initially believed your item could be fixed, when it became clear that wasn't the case we instead migrated to providing you a replacement unit.

We understand you have some concerns regarding our replacement but this is a brand-new television which actually has superior technical specifications compared to your original model. Squaretrade does not base our offers on factors such as pricing, as these factors vary over time.

We again apologize for your experience but we appreciate you bringing us your concerns.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Bought a BRAND NEW OLD STOCK Samsung Galaxy S6 on eBay and elected the SquareTrade protection plan. I usually don't read the fine print but this time I did it clearly states that it covers new phones for accidental damage. Lo and behold after purchasing the contract was emailed and it disclaimed accidental damage. When I contacted them the rep said "the phone you have can't be new because the Galaxy S10 just came out." I tried to explain the phone was new old stock to no avail. Bottom line check the contract. Once you receive it to make sure it covers what you thought it did as you have to cancel within 30 days for a refund which I did.

Hello Brickett,

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your recent warranty purchase.

Squaretrade's warranty contracts do contain information regarding Accidental Protection plans but this is not a guarantee that your plan includes this type of coverage. This is why we provide our customers access to their warranties via our website and app, as well as a contract we can provide at anytime upon request.

When you notified us that your plan did not include the desired coverage we cancelled your warranty for a full refund. We again apologize and hope we're provided an opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had a plan paid in full for a year. I submitted all the uploaded photos and receipts and they took their payment. After a year I went to month to month for 2 months. I called about filing a claim for a battery after 14 months of payments. They told me they needed receipts for the phone that I purchased outright 2 years ago and since changed carriers. I asked them about the photos I had uploaded initially to get the plan. I was told they were blurred and I'd have to track down my receipts or I couldn't file a claim. I asked them to email the photos to me. I received them and they had OBVIOUSLY been altered.

Everything was perfectly clear and in focus except the numbers on the receipts. I asked why they accepted them if they had "actually been unreadable" and was told it isn't looked at unless you try to file a claim even though required for the policy. So I couldn't track down my receipts so therefore wasted about $200 dollars in insurance that was not usable when needed. I was able to get about a $25 dollar refund. Be aware. Company not on the up and up.

Hello Amanda,

We apologize for any difficulty with your warranties.

Squaretrade offers mobile plans for phones which were new at the time of purchase regardless of how much time has passed, so long as customers are able to provide us receipts verifying the item purchase details. Unfortunately your item receipts did not show the device purchasing dates or prices, this is why we were unable to use them for your policy.

Our specialists are currently working to provide you a full refund of one of your warranties and we greatly apologize for any inconvenience.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Submitting a claim with SquareTrade seemed pretty easy and straightforward until I got to the point where they said it was all electronic. They said my claim had been approved and they sent me an email. On the email, it said to call a number and the number was impossible. I felt like it was trying to dissuade me from finishing the claim. It was like every option was diverting me back to starting a new claim. It was very difficult to get through and to sort out how to get through.

I was trying different options and calling back and about to give up. I was distracted with something else and was sitting there with the phone, and all of a sudden, it was putting me through. A person was there and asked me for the IME number of the phone. I got that out and finished the claim. He said the claim would be resolved by sending me a check of $85 which I didn't expect. I wanted the screen fixed. $85 was kind of odd because it didn't really resolve the problem. I couldn't buy a new phone for that. The phone originally was more than that and my screen was still cracked. By then, I was kind of done so I said okay. He sent me a check and I figured it was closed. The issue was done because I wasn't gonna go back to dealing with them. It was difficult to do the claim but they did something so it wasn't completely unsatisfactory. I can't discredit what they did, but it was hard to get them to do it. Also, what it was wasn't exactly a resolution.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have purchased many SquareTrade plans over the years. I had a need to file a claim on a TV that I purchased from Best Buy. First off they made me, the customer do all their troubleshooting for them vs sending out a repair tech to diagnose the issue. After multiple emails proving the issue they sent me a “congratulations” email telling me they are going to replace my TV with a brand new TV.

However the TV they are offering me is a model well below what I bought. I picked my model Vizio M70-D3 because of its better picture. They are offering me a D or R series Vizio, the same models they sell at discount stores. I told them either fix my TV or replace it with the same exact model (which is still available just a new 2018) model. Or cut me a check for the purchase price. Isn’t that what their warranties always tout “we will fix it or cut you a check”. This is the LAST time I ever buy a warranty from them again. They don’t honor their contract nor do they offer you a TV of the same model. Save your money and buy from a reputable company.

Hello Shawn,

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our claims process.

Squaretrade has combined years of experience to create a claims process we consider efficient, though we understand some of these steps can cause inconvenience. One of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation with you and determine what can be done to improve your experience, as well as to explain why certain policies are in place.

We greatly appreciate your feedback and the time you took to speak with us. We will also be extensively reviewing your claim to see where we can improve.

Original review: May 15, 2019

The computer was damaged and returned for repair. It was returned and the physical damage was repaired but it isn't working. I tried to go online to return and was given a message that I have to call in which is difficult for me to do during the day. So I still have a computer that has been broken for months at this point that I spent a lot of money on and spent a lot on a difficult to use warranty program.

Hello John,

We're sorry to hear your item is still experiencing issues following your most recent repair.

Squaretrade has several policies in place to address concerns such as your own, such as having the item reinspected by our technicians or investigating an alternative resolution. We would need outreach in order to determine the best resolution to your concern and we can see we have not been contacted following your last claim.

One of our specialists has reached out to discuss this with you and see how we can help. We hope to speak soon and to improve your Squaretrade experience.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My laptop fell down and the screen was damaged. I submitted a online claim with SquareTrade and it was straightforward. Having a warranty is very valuable. Plus it’s an option to reach to when unplanned things happen.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I purchased an extend warranty for a Fitbit smartwatch. The watch was sold as water resistant to 50 meters or 164 feet. The watch never went deeper than several feet in a lap pool. SquareTrade would not replace and could not fix it since it had "liquid damage". The warranty from SquareTrade was to cover normal use, since the watch was designed for normal use in the water/swimming up to 50 meters and never went below 1 meter, it was used in normal conditions for the warrantied item. They should have replaced under their warranty.

Hello Bob,

We apologize we recently returned your item unrepaired.

Squaretrade does out best to assist all customers, though we're limited to servicing item issues which correspond with your warranty coverage. In this instance your item was returned unrepaired because liquid damage was found within the product, of which is not covered under your warranty.

We understand you feel there is a discrepancy regarding this coverage type, due to this one of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation. Based on our conversation we hope we've provided a resolution you find satisfactory and we appreciate your time.

KM

Original review: May 13, 2019

SquareTrade was a Costco deal and our experience with them was good. We have them for the TV, but we had one for a laptop too. The TV got stuck trying to update for 4 hours so we texted and called for help. Apparently, when my daughter went online to do this, the TV hadn’t updated since we got it. And for some reason, it started trying to update and it wouldn’t do it. We couldn’t see the TV. It was just doing this update and turning off. The guy sent us directions. We had to upload the update from the back, stick in the stick in the back of the TV. SquareTrade thoroughly assisted us. My husband also had to call on that TV about a year and a half ago, and they fixed it over the phone. With all this technology, having an extended warranty is very necessary.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I had a great experience when I had to file a claim. They when responsive and quick. I had to file an issue with my cycle bike and they handled the problem immediately. I have nothing negative to say about this company. I would recommend them to everyone.

Original review: May 12, 2019

The folks at Office Depot talked to us and suggested that we might wanna take SquareTrade's plan because it included not only the insurance on the machine, but I could add a virus software and support. So, getting it was kinda no-brainer. When my wife spilled a drink on the computer, we did what we could to try to get it dry and turned it off. Apparently it shorted everything out inside. I had not registered it when I bought the machine, so I had to go through the registration process. But even with that, the claims process was fairly easy.

Because they had given me an email address that was not mine, I had to call the tech support and they walked me right through it. They fixed the issue with the email address, filed the claim and did everything. A couple of days later, I had the box and shipped it in. My computer has been in there for a week and I haven't heard back on status for a repair or replacement. But I was very happy with the process and I'd recommend SquareTrade to anyone. So far, it's been good with them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I purchased a necklace from Sam's Club and along with the purchase they sold me an extra 2 year warranty plan from SquareTrade which is an Allstate Company. Now 5 months later the necklace broke and I contacted SquareTrade and they advised that the store is responsible for the repair. The store only covers the repair or damage for 90 days that's why they sell the extra warranty. Anyone who purchases a warranty from SquareTrade should be very careful, they don't honor the agreement.

Hello Jay,

We apologize for any miscommunication regarding your recent claim.

Squaretrade utilizes the manufacturer warranty for most items we cover, this is where we referred you to receive service for your item. Utilizing the manufacturer warranty for products provides multiple benefits to our customers, as we can only provide a certain number of resolutions before your warranty is completed.

One of our specialists has reached out to discuss this and a potential resolution to your concern. We look forward to speaking with you soon and we hope to improve your view of Squaretrade.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I filed my claim for my Samsung television which quit working just after the 1 yr manufacturer warranty mark. When I filed the claim they attached to my freezer warranty thru SquareTrade. After explaining it was a television and sending in receipt from Sam's club I was told I would be hearing from someone within 24 hours. The original claim was on April 26th I believe. They updated the tv warranty on May 6th after I called in to customer service. I have not heard a thing from them no email and no call. It is May 11,2019. I have been without a television for weeks. It is very frustrating as this was the television in the family room that me and my kids would watch movies on. I just wish they would give an update of some kind. I understand things take time but I am feeling like now that they have all the information needed, they are not following thru.

Hello Sarah,

We apologize for any delays you experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade warranties typically arrive into our system automatically, if that's not the case this process usually only takes 1-2 business days to resolve so long we're provided the needed information or documentation. We understand that was not your experience and this is not what we strive to deliver for our customers.

When this was brought to our attention one of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation, as well as to verify your satisfaction with your claim. Based on our conversation we hope we've improved your view of Squaretrade and we greatly appreciate the time to you took to discuss this.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My warranty plan was gifted by my brother and he was the one who took the entire plan with SquareTrade. He bought a juicer one year ago and it's getting very bad. It's making very loud sounds while making juice. I had a three-year insurance on that particular item and I called SquareTrade with the insurance. I talked with the representative, and the representative gave me a refund on the price with which the item was bought on Amazon. All in all, the refund process was easy. My experience with SquareTrade was good and I recommend it.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have had a problem with the desk chair that I could not fix. The chair would not adjust up or down. The representative was extremely cooperative and not confrontational at all. I would strongly recommending getting the coverage on any office equipment purchased in the future.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Few months ago I'm bought an auto parts (about $100) and add the "Square Trade warranty" for $11. Unfortunately, this parts became broken in few months. What I listen from customer service of "square trade warranty"? I need to contact with 'MANUFACTURER'. And aggressive style communication with me from somebody who named 'Ahmed'. It's not a problem to lost about $125 for me, but I will recommend for anybody do not buy any service from this fake warranty company, never.

Hello Lewis,

We apologize for any difficulty with your recent claims experience.

Squaretrade utilizes the manufacturer warranty for almost all products we cover, as we can only provide a finite amount in resolutions for your product. Items serviced by your manufacturer do not negate from this coverage and typically helps you receive the full benefits of your Squaretrade policy. However, we diligently train our specialists to provide courteous and informative service and we're sorry to hear that was not your experience.

One of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation, as well as what can be done to resolve this. Based on our conversation we came to a positive result and we hope this improves your view of Squaretrade.

Original review: May 10, 2019

SquareTrade was a deal to guarantee that I would be able to replace the product. When my screen cracked on my phone, SquareTrade replaced it with a new one. There was no trouble in filing the claim. I called in and made my request. It was replaced and I sent back the phone that I had so that they could have it for verification. It was a terrific experience and it’s really good to have the insurance from SquareTrade.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Usually have no problem with refund issues, Except this once this girl sound like she was belittling me Because I have anxiety problems dealing with people! I would highly recommend these people. Just make sure you buy the right warranty for the right product other people had problems. Used these people multiple times, haven’t been turned down yet!!! Refunds over to 300 Using multiple protection warranties!!

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information