3.44/5
Based on 448 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 26, 2018

458 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 26, 2018

They went above and beyond to make things right after my sons toy stopped working. The gentlemen I spoke to was knowledgeable and extremely kind. I had gone through a four hour ordeal trying to find manufacture info and kept coming up unsuccessful. It was until I actually spoke with SquareTrade on the phone that the issue was resolved. I would highly recommend SquareTrade to any consumer.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Your rep was the best of any and all reps I have ever had a conversation with. He was prompt, and very courteous. He understood the problem and jumped right to the solution. All was settled and I anticipate the warranty check soon.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I called SquareTrade because my son's bicycle pedals were coming loose. Also, the brake line broke, and the pads fell off. They were very understanding, and rectified the situation immediately with a check for the replacement. The online claim did not accurately fix my situation, so I had to call the toll free number. It was pretty effortless, and I would definitely add the SquareTrade protection plan again to another product.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Filing A claim was very easy, but it took forever to process and get A television replaced. We decided to pick up our television because delivery was going got take another week. T.V was a totally different brand and very difficult to program.

Hi Paz,

We truly understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, the delivery of your replacement TV cannot be expedited. We are limited to the shipping options offered by our TV distributors.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email us

at socialhelps@squaretrade.com. We'd be gladly to assist further!

Kind regards,

MC

Original review: May 25, 2018

Very happy with the service all around. The speed of repairs, the communication of where this were, and the job well done. Also the tracking was a great help to me, it enabled me to manage my time. Thanks very much.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: May 25, 2018

My cell phone had fallen onto the hardwood floor as I was placing the mail onto my dining room table. Although I made several calls and several visits to two different locations for my repair to my phone. It eventually was repaired to excellent working condition at the Village Apple Store. This seems to be directed towards Taylor, and others were helpful along the way. Jeff, Gene Carlos, Kelly, Winston and Alexis. Thank you SquareTrade!!

Original review: May 25, 2018

The broken phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5 and has been replaced with an S6 which is higher than 5 that your representative claimed upgrade. But S5 is a waterproof phone and S6 is not. That is not an upgrade. That is the reason why our family skip S6 during purchasing new phones. I even asked for a supervisor. Not to mention it took a while to process this replacement. Now I am just waiting for further instructions per advice on the last representative.

Hello Damaria,

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your recent claim. Whenever Squaretrade provides a replacement unit we do our best to provide you a device that is the same model as your original unit, though we are limited to devices that are available at the time of your claim. Your item was originally approved for a mail in repair, but once our technicians determined the item was irreparable we moved to provide you a replacement. Unfortunately we did not have an S5 in stock, and so we provided a newer replacement model as the next best thing. We understand the replacement device does not have the desired water proofing feature, but the S6 has improved technical specifications in many comparatives areas such as processing speed and audio quality.

We again apologize that we were unable to provide an exact replacement, but our primary intention was to ensure you had a fully functional device. We appreciate your time while this was investigated and hope this clarifies the situation.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Refurbished phone. After loading everything the phone had issues. I worked with another provider and Samsung to fix problem within two days of activating phone. Could not be fixed. Square Trade said it was not their problem and transferred me to a different provider. I now am dealing with them to get a working phone. Very poor service.

Hello Boyd,

We're sorry to hear of the trouble with your replacement device, as this is an atypical experience through Squaretrade. Replacement devices provided by us are diligently tested to ensure they function up to manufacturer standards, though we understand this case was an exception. Usually Squaretrade can directly resolve these issues and immediately send you a replacement, but with your warranty we have an agreement with your wireless carrier. Any issues with replacement devices have to be addressed by them, and we apologize that we're unable to directly resolve the concern ourselves.

Squaretrade greatly appreciates your business, and should you need to use your policy in the future it is still here and active. We appreciate your patience while this was investigated and we apologize we're unable to further assist.

Original review: May 25, 2018

From the start, the customer service was top notch. He was very knowledgeable and fixed my claim for me. I received emails all along the process to keep me informed on the status of my claim. Also the process was very quick. I received my warranty reimbursement within a week of my inquiry. Great Job!

Original review: May 25, 2018

I really appreciated how easy the warranty process was for the problem I experienced with my TV purchased at Costco. The service rep was helpful to troubleshoot over the phone and understood the problem, and the emails from SquareTrade were useful as well.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The battery and plug were never addressed, it still won't let me update windows. The tech I talked to didn't fix it and didn't call me back. I am an artist and rely heavily on my computer. I lost thousands of dollars while waiting for my computer to be not fixed.

Hello Terry,

We're sorry to hear your item still had issues following the mail in repair. Whenever a repair is completed at our depot technicians run a full diagnostic on the item to ensure there are no additional hardware failures, though we understand this one may have slipped through the cracks. Once this was brought to our attention we reached out and provided you a new claim, and based on our conversation we sincerely hope we provided you a resolution that works for you. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to talk and hope you consider Squaretrade when making a future warranty purchase.

Original review: May 24, 2018

It was "Fast and Easy" to find a shop to fix my screen and got reimbursed. I was pleasantly surprised. Been with ST for 6 yrs and I always worry when things will head south. Keep it ST!! Great job SquareTrade.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My experience was very pleasant it was not confrontational at all. Everything went so smoothly I had to question rather or not the shredder could be replaced. The wait time of knowing what was going on was very good and I knew before 24 hours had passed that the shredder would be reimbursed. The check arrived without delay. Thank you.

Original review: May 24, 2018

From the first phone call to delivering within 5 days of item being sent to you, I've been very impressed with the way my claim has been handled. The first point of contact was very helpful and the emails updating me on where my item is have been very helpful. Great job. Thank you.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I purchased an extended warranty from Amazon when I purchased my pump motor about two years ago. The pump motor has seized up and I submitted a claim to Squaretrade which they processed and approved almost immediately and paid me the full amount of the original motor... which was outstanding!! Highly recommend SquareTrade. Their customer service was outstanding and they truly stand behind their policy!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I received excellent care during this process. The customer service was excellent. I was given the best representative who was very helpful and understanding. This process could have been very lengthy but they made it a very quick process. So I thank you training your staff to make the customer first.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I bought a TV from Costco back in 2016 and added a square trade protection plan on top of that. I had an issue in my TV few days back where a small dot appears on TV and I see a vertical and horizontal line in TV. I called SquareTrade for the issue and discussed issue with them and they asked me to send pictures of TV. They also confirmed that they will let me know the resolution in 1 business day. After sending pictures, I sent mail 2-3 times about the status and they never responded. I called them yesterday and somebody said they have already rejected claim by saying physical damage and they never informed me. They do not respond on mails and you need to call and wait for their representative. I don’t know what’s the point in buying square trade protection and I would never recommend anyone to buy SquareTrade.

Hi Manish,

We're sorry to hear about your experience. We aim to address our customers' concerns as timely as possible and it looks like we dropped the ball.

I've located your account and will be reaching out to you to discuss this further.

Best regards,

MC

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have been requesting assistance on a defective backpack that we purchased in 2017 and STILL HAVE NOT rec'd ANY C/B'S- just BS auto replies! I get the constant runaround and am VERY DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE NOW TWO OF THE BACKPACKS WE PURCHASED ARE BROKEN. Why did we even pay into this if you aren't holding up your end of the bargain???!!! I would request a response back ASAP.

Hello Anabel,

We apologize to hear of your frustration with the claims process, as this is not Squaretrade's intention. Should follow up ever be required for a claim Squaretrade is always reachable at our claims number 1-877-927-7268. Though we understand you emailed in requesting a callback, these emails are sometimes routed to automated email addresses or to agents who are unable to process your request.

At this time your claim is in a pending approval status, and once we are provided a copy of the item receipt your claim would migrate to the next step in the process. We apologize if there was any miscommunication regarding this, but we hope this clarifies the situation. We have emailed the address on file for your account with additional details, including the contact information for our claims center which is available 24/7.

One of our agents will be outreaching to you shortly, and we appreciate your patience and understanding while this was investigated.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2018

In 2014 I purchased a Vizio 65" 3D TV at Costco. Along with the TV I bought the extended warranty for 5 yrs total from SquareTrade. Not too long ago I started having issues with the TV. I called SquareTrade to file a claim. I sent the appropriate documentation and my claim was approved SquareTrade Claim [**]. At that point they said they would replace the TV. They sent me an email with the replacement TVs they offered. They are nowhere near the same as mine.

In the contract it states that they will either fix the TV, REIMBURSE the amount I paid for the TV or gift card, or at my decision they could find a TV with SIMILAR FEATURES and FUNCTIONALITY as my current TV. None of the TVs they offer are 3D TVs. They keep telling me they will not provide one because they arent made no more. I ask for a full refund so I can go out and find me a 3D TV myself since they can't find one nor fix the one I have right now. It's been back and forth and they just keep playing it off and want me to take whatever they are giving me and that's not going to happen. It's been almost 2 weeks and they just keep emailing back that "4k" is an upgrade and that should COMPENSATE for the lack of 3D on their TVs offered. Totally unacceptable and not respecting the contract. Do not buy warranty from this company. I sure won't in the future.

Hello Juan,

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your recent claim. Whenever Squaretrade generates a replacement offer we base the units offered on the specifications of the original item. While we do our best to match or exceed the original item's specifications, Squaretrade is limited by what is available on the open market at the time of claim. In this instance we understand you are primarily concerned with receiving another 3D compatible TV, but we are unable to offer any replacements with this exact feature. TV manufacturers discontinued this feature in 2016/2017, and as such it is no longer available for purchase or as a replacement through Squaretrade.

Since Squaretrade was unable to source an exact replacement, we have offered a replacement unit with a higher resolution standard than your originally purchased item. The Squaretrade replacement also offers additional ports, Bluetooth capability, and more features not included with the original item. Being that the item resolution (as well as other technical specifications) exceed the original item's specifications, Squaretrade is fulfilling our obligation beneath this protection plan.

We appreciate your patience while this was investigated, and we apologize we cannot provide the desired replacement.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I've had eight SquareTrade warranties over the year. The first time that I ever filed a finite claim was today. When I contacted the agent, I provided every potential piece of information. My claim was valid, and the agent confirmed this. HOWEVER... SquareTrade told me that they failed to receive my receipt in November of 2015. Historically, they've mailed countless verification notices when they didn't receive the receipt. They didn't this time because, let's be honest, they got the receipt. I can tell it by the fact that the applicable link shows as clicked in my Gmail browser. Said link also goes to a broken page now. In other words, they don't even use that system any longer, presumably because it was flawed.

How does this impact me? I paid $94.50 for a warranty in November of 2015. I jumped through every hoop possible to validate my warranty. The first time that I ever needed a warranty claim, they DENIED it. They said that they couldn't address my purchase for "insurance reasons". They asked for a receipt. I pointed out that I'd uploaded it previously. They claimed that I hadn't, even though I always have before and when I don't, they send email reminders. I never received an email reminder for this request. Not once. Why? Because I uploaded the receipt, just as I always had before.

When I spoke with the supervisor, they confirmed that SquareTrade won't honor the warranty for which I paid. I asked if I could send them an American Express statement that verifies the transaction. Oh no, SquareTrade requires a "pre-tax receipt", again for "insurance purposes". Yes, they've gamed the system so much that they can deny any valid claim. Even when you pay them, you file a legitimate warranty request, you upload a receipt, and you can prove that you made the valid purchase that you stated, they STILL have ways to say no.

A few years ago, SquareTrade had a sterling reputation as an honest, reliable company. Today, they reject valid claims from loyal customers who have done nothing but support and recommend them over the years. This is the ultimate example of caveat emptor. As the downturn in reviews here suggest, SquareTrade is now a scam company with a business model that's based on denying valid claims. Do NOT buy from them.

Hi David,

Thanks so much for providing your feedback. Reading over your post I can definitely see some opportunities for us to improve. I am going to immediately escalation this feedback up. I do want to clarify that your claim has not been denied. Your claim is open. It is true that as an Extended warranty there are stipulations we must follow and having proof of purchase on file is one of them. As a loyal customer we definitely want to be of assistance and provide you with a better SquareTrade experience. Let me do a little more research into your claim and I will follow up with you shortly.

Thanks,

Marva

Original review: May 21, 2018

When I bought the TV, they were offering SquareTrade at Costco as an extra warranty. I asked the salesman what they covered and how well they covered it, and it seemed like a good value. So I bought a three-year plan for my TV and I paid the whole plan upfront, so they just wrapped it into the sales price of the TV. The TV came with its own one-year warranty but it didn’t start messing up until after the year we got it. The claim was pretty easy. I just called the number, and then I did something online. Then I talked to them on the phone and told them that the TV was turning itself on and off repeatedly and I had gone through all of the reset steps. So they sent me the parts that the technician needed, made an appointment for a technician to come from 60 miles away. But as soon as I hang up, the TV corrected itself. So I called back to tell them and they said that they would email a label so I could send the parts back at no cost.

A couple years later, the TV started having the same issue again and I just called SquareTrade back and they checked my old claim they had on their records and said that they would send us the parts. And then the technician came at the appointed time and it took him an hour to replace the parts. And we never had a single hiccup with the TV since. Having the extended warranty made all the difference. I got the TV on sale and I only paid $754. By the time it went south on me, I would’ve had to pay a whole lot more to replace it. So having the TV fixed for free was extremely valuable. And when I was looking for a laptop, I bought the one that offered a SquareTrade warranty. It is the best warranty I’ve ever dealt with. It’s inexpensive and absolutely worth it.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2018

I purchased the SquareTrade extended coverage for a robot vacuum. Their ad shows a phone dropped in a bowl of cereal/milk so you would think accidents with liquids are covered right? Not so much. The fine print pretty much precludes everything. I think they make money off folks buying and forgetting about it. The vacuum hit a water bowl and sucked up a bunch of water. I cleaned it as instructed and it functioned just fine for several months. They are claiming there is water damage and won't repair OR replace. I have emailed them several times for a follow up and they have yet to reply.

Hello Jennifer,

We apologize if there was any misunderstanding regarding the warranty purchased for this item, as this was not our intention. Squaretrade offers standard and accidental protection plans, both of which offer varying degrees of coverage. Standard plans offer coverage against hardware and electrical failures due to normal use, whereas accidental protection plans cover damage such as physical or liquid damage.

Though our general advertising shows instances of accidental damage, this does not guarantee which type of plan a customer has chosen to purchase. Upon purchase of our warranties Squaretrade provides the specific warranty contract via email, which contains the type of coverage purchased. This information can also be provided via email or hard-copy upon request, or by viewing the warranty on our website. Should a customer find their plan lacks the desired coverage we can cancel and refund warranties in full within the first 30 days of purchase.

In this instance the customer's item was approved for a mail in repair due to power issues, but once the item arrived at our depot severe liquid damage was found internally. Unfortunately this voids the warranty, and we have offered the customer a full refund of the warranty purchasing price. We also understand the customer has not received a reply to recent emails sent to Squaretrade, but this because they were sent to an automated email address. We hope this information clarifies our results, and we apologize that we are unable to further assist with the repair of this item.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2018

I've been trying for months to get a powered speaker fixed. My first attempt was last year, when it developed a popping sound and echo in the speaker system. I was told to find a place that would fix it and send SquareTrade the receipt and they would reimburse me for the repair. I did a Google search on repair facilities using keywords such as electronic repair, audio repair, speaker repair and a few others, and started calling. After several weeks of intermittent phone calls, explaining what the problem was to the representatives of the different repair facilities, there was no one who would attempt fix it. Shortly after that, I had some medical issues that progressed and just left things alone and figured I'd just have to let it be like it was.

Now the speaker system has developed other issues. The built-in USB player system is malfunctioning and when it does play, it cuts in and out, skips, and jumps to different songs at its own discretion. In addition, the display that you have to have to know what songs to choose and etc., constantly goes in and out making it practically useless. And today I found out that the internal battery that allows you to use the speaker without electricity for several hours is not holding a charge.

I filed another claim on the new issue with the USB issue and then spoke with representatives of SquareTrade over the phone. I was told again to find a place and have it fixed and send the receipt to SquareTrade and they would reimburse me for the repairs. I've pretty much called every place that Google has listed within 100 miles, and a few over 100 miles and am basically told the same thing every time; either they don't work on this type of item, or they cannot get the parts to repair it. I finally found one place who said they normally didn't work on items like this but that I could bring it in for them to look at.

After driving over 60 miles one way, I was told it needed a new circuit board and the price for the board would be $200 plus $55 to install it. While I was there, he looked online and said he found a similar unit for a little over $200 and it would be best to just go ahead and get a new one. I thanked him and left for the return trip back home. I called SquareTrade and told them what the repair person had said, and SquareTrade said to get a statement or an estimate saying that and send it in. I called the repair facility and asked for that, and was told that the gentleman that I spoke with and gave me the estimate would have to handle it, and that he was out. After calling each day for several days, I'm still told the person is still out.

Today after multiple calls around the state and adjoining states, I found a place that told me (and advertise) they fix anything and everything electronic, but after giving them the model number of the unit and them looking it up, they said that the speaker is no longer made and that the manufacturer (which is in China) does not sell parts for it. I then went online looking for parts myself just to see if I could find anything, and sure enough, can't find any place that has any parts whatsoever for that particular model speaker system.

Also searched for this particular model speaker to see if it was available or still being sold and cannot find one. I've found several similar ones, but just not that model or any parts for that model. I'm beginning to wonder if that estimate and recommendation that I buy a new one that I received was a way to get out of telling me that they just can't or don't know how to fix it.

I've had about four different conversations with SquareTrade representatives within the past week and a half, with them promising me a resolution. My only resolution so far is that I have driven over 120 miles plus spent hours and hours on the phone and still don't have it repaired. My original contract says that if it's an item that is shippable, that they will send a prepaid label for me to ship it back to them to get it repaired; and if it is too large to send, that they will provide someone to come to our home to have it repaired. I mentioned this to the last two representatives that I spoke with and was told that the item is just too heavy and would cost too much to ship it back. The contract says another option is for them to just pay me for the item and find something else that will suffice. Evidently they don't want to do that either.

I'm old, disabled, and now have been diagnosed with heart trouble (along with multiple other medical issues), so I don't even know if I will 'ever' see a repair or replacement. Maybe I'm just an old outdated fogey. I was raised in a time that was much different from the way things are nowadays. Back when I was growing up, a business (or most anyone for that matter), whether large or small, had integrity. A person or a business's word was their bond. You always kept your word and always did what you said you were going to do (and it didn't matter if it actually costed something of your own self or out of your own pocket to do it; if you promised it, then you did it: period! Without trying to worm your way out of keeping your word.

It's a shame that it seems like mine was the last Generation that understood honesty and integrity, and what it meant for a business to not only do what they promised, but in many instances go over and beyond what was expected: it was just the right thing to do. Even now, you would think a multi million-dollar business (actually, I suppose now a multi billion dollar business since Allstate has acquired SquareTrade) wouldn't do the small guy wrong; just to save a buck.

Yes, I'm old, in ill health, and think much differently and have different values and moral standards than many do these days (and probably not much use to anyone in general), but I'm proud to say that I did my best to live my life with honor and integrity towards my God, my family, my friends and anyone else I met in life or those that I had any dealings with. At least I was brought up and taught to have the good sense to not just sell my soul for the "Almighty Dollar". I just hope that when I pass, I'm not the last person who holds on to what's good and right, and if there is another, and they happen to be the last person who understands integrity, I pray that they will be strong enough to resist greed, the Love of Money and the temptation to disregard the well-being of anyone other than their self.

Hello Warren,

We greatly apologize for the inconvenience experienced during this claim. Once this issue was brought to our attention one of our agents reached out and spoke to you, and based on our conversation we feel as though we've resolved this matter. We're sorry to hear the local repair resolution was so difficult, as usually this is a method of service that is quick and easy. We understand that wasn't the case this time, and we hope we've come to a resolution you find satisfying.

Squaretrade greatly appreciates you as a customer, and we hope we've repaired the relationship enough you'll consider us for another purchase in the future. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Sincerely,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2018

I purchased a warranty directly through SquareTrade for a TV 65uf8500 (3D) I bought at a local electronics store. The TV had issues with the picture. They came 3 times and replaced several parts and the issue was never resolved. I called back and they said they would replace. They offered the lowest end TV possible. I asked if they could cash out so I can pick the TV I want and not worry about the TV disappearing from inventory. They denied the request. All TVs offered are older models and one shows discontinued so I'm sure I will get a refurbished item. I've experienced way too many issues with refurbished products so this is why I would like to get my own TV out of a store.

This is the terms in the agreement. "5. HOW WE WILL SERVICE YOUR ITEM: Depending on the item and failure circumstances, We will either: A. Repair your Product, or B. Provide a cash settlement or a Gift Card reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality up to the Coverage Amount, or C. Provide a new or refurbished product of equal features and functionality." It says equal features and functionality. However it will never be equal as they can't replace 3D TVs so that's why I opted for a cash out. It takes them 2 days to respond and if I call them directly they say it's being reviewed. It's such a slow process. I have over a dozen warranties with them. I'm now regretting that I ever purchased them.

Hello Rommel,

We're sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your recent claim, as that's not the experience we strive to deliver. Whenever Squaretrade provides a replacement offer we base this on the technical specifications of the original item and not the item price, as the price is a factor that fluctuates over time. We understand that your initial replacement offer was not what you wanted, but since 5/18/18 you've accepted our newest replacement offer and we're currently working to get this device shipped out to you.

We appreciate your patience while we worked through this process, and we'll be following up with additional information regarding your item delivery.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2018

When I first spoke with the customer service person she said something about a check, which we never received any check or had anything mention to us when we put in the claim. So it looks like SquareTrade paid themselves to collect money for the company on our tablet. (Not right and maybe fraud) We sent our tablet to be repaired and SquareTrade sent it back with three different serial numbers attached to it. The internal serial number was different. The back of the tablet has a different serial number and the paper work has a different serial number label attached to it. This tablet has a old operating system in it and when I turn it on it looks different. We were taken, but we thought this company was honest, because years ago we received good service from them, unfortunately the quality or service of everything goes down.

Hello Jamar,

We're sorry to hear of the concerns with your tablet repair, as this is not the experience we strive to deliver at Squaretrade. Various serial numbers on a product can be a result of Squaretrade technicians utilizing different parts for repair and should have no effect on the functionality. However, we understand the customer is concerned that he is unable to update his software to it's previous version and we want to take steps to address this.

We have approved a new claim to have the tablet sent back in, and have emailed the customer a claim approval email and shipping label. Once the item arrives at our repair center we will address this customer's concern with the tablet software version, and ensure the item is able to be updated to what it previously included.

We appreciate the consumer's patience and allowing us the opportunity to resolve the situation.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Have been happy with SquareTrade. They have been very helpful and have done what they say. They will walk you through the process to get your item to them for repair. They will keep you updated every step of the way from the time you mail the item to them until you get it back.

Original review: May 14, 2018

This is an awesome scam. Buy a three year warranty for $149 to cover a mobile phone. The phone has problems in 2 months. They are "unable" to fix the phone after paying the $100 deductible. They now send a check to buy the old phone for $520. Sounds good so far, right? They just bought the phone, minus the deductible and plan cost for $271. They now have the phone that they can refurbish and resell. Meanwhile, my 3 year warranty that I bought is cancelled after only 2 months of use. I would have to purchase a new plan to cover the new phone that we paid $850 for! They refuse to honor the 3 year plan I purchased from them on the new phone!!! It makes much more sense to pay your carriers small monthly fee and whatever happens on whatever phone is always covered. SquareTrade is a SCAM! 3 year warranty my ass!!!

Hello Larry,

We apologize for any frustration experienced with your claim, as completing a warranty so shortly after the date of purchase is very uncommon. When this was brought to our attention we reached out and refunded the full cost of your warranty. We also explained at length why a reimbursement for your device was the only available option at the time.

We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and again apologize for any inconvenience.

KM

Original review: May 12, 2018

SquareTrade is by far the best insurance company I've ever worked with. I have now filed two claims, and both were amazingly quick, easy, and painless. I got my phone fixed and reimbursement check within 3 days total. I reached a real person in customer service quickly each time I called. Each representative I spoke to was patient, kind, friendly, and very helpful. I have been truly happy with the high level of customer service I've received.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I am very happy with SquareTrade. Everyone I talked to was very professional and knowledgeable. The response time was done in a timely manner. I feel that no one wants their items to break down but thanks to SquareTrade getting the item fixed by troubleshooting or replacement was quick and painless. Thanks.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Received replacement phone. Rep very good. Was on phone and explained the problem and he told me the options. We discussed the problem I was having and he told me what my options were. I thought about and decided.

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information