formerly SquareTrade

4.3/5 (607 ratings)

About Allstate Protection Plans

When your stuff breaks, it's our mission to make you good again. Allstate Protection Plans are serviced by SquareTrade, an Allstate company.

Pros

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

Cons

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Bottom Line

SquareTrade offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

Top Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were br...

Verified

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy cus...

What is SquareTrade?

SquareTrade’s device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by SquareTrade’s warranties:

Smartphones
SquareTrade’s smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to SquareTrade using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year SquareTrade warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using SquareTrade’s mail-in service.
Appliances
SquareTrade covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
SquareTrade provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

SquareTrade’s coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does SquareTrade warranty work?

You can file a claim with SquareTrade online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a SquareTrade representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If SquareTrade is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does SquareTrade cost?

SquareTrade warranty costs vary depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for SquareTrade coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
Smartphones$8.99 - $19.99 a month$25 - $149
Laptops$89.99 to $549.99$0 - $75
iPads$109 to $259$0 - $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

SquareTrade FAQ

Does SquareTrade repair or replace?
SquareTrade repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does SquareTrade insurance work?
SquareTrade repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a SquareTrade warranty?
SquareTrade warranties can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact SquareTrade?
You can contact SquareTrade by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy a SquareTrade warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is SquareTrade worth it?

SquareTrade’s warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend SquareTrade as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

Allstate Protection Plans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allstate Protection Plans?

Original review: April 17, 2021

I purchased my phone from Costco and the salesman made a good case for SquareTrade and made it seem like a better option than taking the classic AppleCare. It was very enticing so I decided to go with it. The frame of my iPhone bent a little bit which caused the back glass of it to crack a little bit. I was worried that water might get into it so I filed a claim in early January. The process was seamless. I had a few options which were 1) get it fixed here and have the check sent minus the deductible, 2) send the iPhone to SquareTrade to be repaired and 3) get a replacement phone which is a refurbished phone. I opted for the third one because I couldn't stay without my phone for so long.

I received the phone probably a week later. It was back and forth back then because I didn't receive any receipts or tracking number for some time. Eventually, I called and the gentleman was very helpful and told me that the phone was in the mail. I received the phone, activated it and sent back my old phone. However, the phone that I received died a month and a half later. Since I got the new phone replacement, it was in a case. I was making sure that nothing happened to it. I let it charge overnight. In the morning, I picked up the phone and it was stuck on the boot screen. I tried to restore it but it didn't work. I set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. They took a look at the phone and said, “It’s not worth it to fix it. It would cost like $500 to replace that motherboard.”

That was when I decided to call SquareTrade. The first person who helped me said they couldn't do anything about it because my warranty just expired. I was upset with it. I called a second time. The rep escalated to his supervisor or manager and he was super helpful. He understood and walked me through my experience. He listened to the concern and found the solution for it which was good. I sent back the phone and he said, "I got a check issued that covered that phone." I was very happy with that service. We're using SquareTrade for a watch and I'm willing to purchase it again whenever I get new electronics.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2021

When I was buying our 4-channel security system, it was our first security system being put up. Prior to that, I was scammed a few times. I wanted to make sure if it came broken, I wouldn't be stuck with something that was broken. Every two weeks, the whole system shuts down and restarts, which is normal because that's what it does. One day, I looked at the camera and it was off. The time was going, but there was no video, and I was like, "Okay, well, I'll see if someone can come go up there, look at it, and see what's wrong with it."

I couldn't just call someone and be like, "Come fix my cameras." So, after a month or two, the tech looked at it, tried to fix it, and tried re-plugging it in. I tried restarting the system a couple of times. It wouldn't come back on for some reason. So, I got in my email and I tried to see if I still had a warranty on it because it took us almost six months to put it up. We finally got it put up and it was doing good for a while, and then just randomly went off. I tried everything to fix it and that didn't do anything. So, I called to see what I should do, like if there was something that could be done.

I contacted All State first and they had me explain what it was. I told them the receipt information that I had and they set everything up. At first, they were like, "Okay, so you can take the system down and send it in, and then we'll fix it and send it back." I said, "That just sounds absolutely ridiculous. I expected to either send it back and get a new one or something, but not wait for it to get fixed." With COVID, everything's so much slower. And I was like, "If anything, it would be easier to do what I just did - ordered another set." As these got taken down, we put the new ones right in the other spots.

The option that they agreed to with their supervisor was when I get the system down, I could send it in and they would just refund me for my purchase. It worked out. I got the money back for the system and I was able to get another system. It took a bit and I was upset at first because I said, "I don't know how you expect me to just take this system down and then re-put it back up whenever you're done fixing it." But then they said, "Well, you can send it back if you want, and obviously just get another security system somewhere from us or whatever." I agreed to that to make it easier. A whole swap-out. They did good with making sure that at least I got something out of it. I'm glad I have the protection plan. If I didn't call, it would still be messed up and I would have no idea that I could get it fixed.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Our printer ran out of ink, so we put the ink and it started working normally for maybe a week. After a week, my son was printing a project which had 100 pages. On page number 30, the printer started making this noise when you buy a printer the first time and it allocates the ink properly. Then it stopped printing and it said, “Remove cartridge and put it back again.” So we did it and it started printing again. Then after page number five, we heard like poof and when we went to the printer, it was full of black ink. It said to remove the ink again. We removed the ink and cleaned it. We thought that it was the cartridge that came bad. We had another one brand new and put it in but it kept saying something about a mechanical issue and it couldn't read the ink. And it was full of ink inside and out.

I called B&H to troubleshoot because I bought the printer there. They were really helpful and they got me to different steps to see what was going on. It was not fixable based on the troubleshooting. They reminded me that I had the insurance to call for repair. So I called Allstate and explained the same thing to them, what happened and that it was an issue with the ink that exploding side while printing. Then they told me that they were gonna replace it or send it for repair. I don't know. But I live in the desert of Arizona. So the only FedEx location that was close to me was closed and the other one was like an hour away.

I called FedEx and they said that the people that can request pickup was Allstate because the label that I had was for drop-off. I was willing but I was not going to drive an hour and come back. So Allstate told me that the other option was to refund the money. I was fine with it. The printer was here, so they just asked me to discard it. They already had the receipt on file, so didn't ask for anything. I got the money back and we were pretty pleased.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I put an extended coverage on an Xbox One wireless controller. SquareTrade was offered at the tech stand when I bought it at Target. It was my sixth controller that I've purchased over the years. They usually don't last. The manufacturer's warranty from Microsoft covers 90 days. Their thumbsticks usually go bad after 90 days to where you have a wandering cursor on the screen. I haven't had very good luck with buying one and having it last for beyond that 90-day period.

One of the buttons randomly stopped working the way it's supposed to. It's the right bumper on the controller. You got to push it and it works sometimes. But it's like one out of every four pushes. I tried to submit a claim. It was a couple of months after the original warranty had run out. Then it was telling me that usually these warranties last for a year. I knew it wasn't a year but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to submit the claim any further. Then I got close to a year and I was thinking about it. I haven't used this controller in a long time. I used my kid's small controller that I bought instead. I thought to try to submit a claim again so I went to initiate it. It was a week before that year mark. All I did was click on the chat button and explain to someone I wanted to make a claim on it. He said I couldn't yet but whoever was on the end of the chat helped me go ahead and do that.

The rep was really good. I've had bad experiences with chat representatives and customer service before where they're busy with multiple things and they don't respond quickly. But the rep was incredibly fast. Almost before I'd respond and hit enter, he could type a response within seconds. He knew what I was talking about and how to help me. I got the claim in when I was thinking I'd probably abandon it and try again in a week when it's been past that year mark. In this case, SquareTrade saved me from having to spend the full $70 that these controllers cost. That was valuable.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I went to the store and they have little pamphlets next to the TV that say SquareTrade. The person at the register also said something about getting a warranty. It made perfect sense. I was already gonna spend so much for a TV. So it's probably smarter to get the warranty. The screen started having a shadow, like a burn mark in the middle of the screen all the way up. It's starting to get worse over the last few weeks. It's like someone put a pole in front of the TV and there's a black shadow.

When we called SquareTrade, they said they were gonna need some things to start the claim. They said we need the original original receipt but I told them that was impossible because I bought the TV three years ago. So they said that I could go in the store and get a printout of it. They gave me a checklist of what I was gonna need. We went into Costco and we got the original receipt and then they gave us the SquareTrade information. I scanned and emailed over what they asked for.

In the beginning, they gave me two options for a TV. They told me to choose a TV and that the options were both gonna be great. I took their word for it and said okay, and I chose the TV without really looking into it. I was reading up on it and the last four digits just showed where the TV was made. So it was the exact same TV and the only thing that was different was location. I push the button and about two hours later I get an email saying that my TV was ordered. Then I looked at the specs and this TV was not even close to our TV. Our TV was top of the line. But that was my fault. I should've done more due diligence in looking into that, but I didn't. I called SquareTrade and told them that they needed to stop that shipping because the TV that they were sending out was not up to standard. It was not what I paid for. They were sending me an entry-level TV.

They said that they were gonna work on it and they ended up sending a TV, and then they reversed the TV. So they called UPS to get back. Then when UPS got back, I called SquareTrade again and asked for more options that they have. They said they were gonna work on it. Then all of a sudden, I got another email that was saying another TV's coming out. But I never picked it at all. I was dealing with this lady named Marty who ended up being a great person. She's a supervisor for the warranty support team of SquareTrade. She ended up handling everything. She told me these people didn't read the notes and they ended up sending me another TV thinking that I needed a TV. Marty ended up going above and beyond, and she said they stopped that TV from coming and the second TV. They ended up refunding the amount for the TV so they would get another TV.

It ended up working out. But it was a little lengthy. It was about a two-week process and it was stressful of what was going on because it should be easier than that. If someone has a top of the line TV, don't try to sell them a Daewoo for a Samsung. If I give you a Lexus, don't give me a Honda back. But Marty did an excellent job.

Original review: July 15, 2021

This warranty is useless. I have dead pixels on my oled TV from LG. After exchanging several photos, they decided I have burn-in, and not dead pixels. This is completely false. The photos clearly show zero color produced on a red screen and green color produced on a yellow screen. That is evidence that the red pixels are dead. But they call it burn-in, so they can refuse to honor the warranty. These are a scam. I will NEVER buy an Allstate product again.

Allstate Protection Plans response

Hello Gregory,

We apologize for any inconvenience and frustration faced during your recent claim.

SquareTrade's goal is to provide accurate and effective resolutions for our customers' issues with their items. To do so, we may request photos or additional information to determine the best course of action for each claim. In this case, the provided photos confirmed burn-in on the TV display. Therefore, we were unable to process a claim as this is excluded from coverage per our Terms and Conditions.

Again, we truly apologize for any trouble you experienced during the claim process. At this time, one of our specialists has reached out to you to provide additional support.

BC

Original review: July 13, 2021

I just want to say that I have always had great experiences with SquareTrade & Allstate. They make the repairs quickly and the last time, when the machine could not be fixed, they sent a check for my full amount promptly. I ordered another machine and have also bought a 3-year warranty for that product.

Original review: July 4, 2021

Our LG tv went out after only 2.5 years. We received a new tv replacement by this company. They communicated by email. I was curious about tracking information, so I called the customer service center and they sent the tracking information within the next two business day. It was timely, accurate and an overall seamless procedure. We received a new television in 11 days. Thank you for the great service, it was well worth the $35.00 we paid for the extended warranty service.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I love the SquareTrade-Allstate Protection plans. I have yet to have a problem with an item I placed a claim on. As long as you have proof of purchase and are within warranty, they will send you a shipping label for repair or prorate your defective product. Well that's been my experience. Manufacturers seldom answer or return claims, but All-State is always ready to help.

Original review: July 2, 2021

I think I am more happy than my daughter. Transaction was super easy. Online claims extremely user friendly. It took me longer to package it and ship it than it did to get it repaired and sent back. It's like we received a whole new device. A major plus. None of the data was lost!!

Allstate Protection Plans Company Information