Call toll free
3.43/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

761 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I purchased a BRAND NEW Doss Bluetooth speaker on eBay and bought a 3 year warranty at the same time from SquareTrade 2 weeks ago. The speaker could not connect via Bluetooth to any devices since 2 days ago. I started to file a claim on SquareTrade's website today with all legit proof of purchase as they required. I specified the problem and when entered into the last step to submit my claim, this merchant said, "Based on the information you provided, it appears you received an already-damaged item. SquareTrade Protection Plans do not cover items that were damaged to begin with". I mean, come on man!

I bought this item BRAND NEW and on the item's eBay page at the time I purchase, it clearly suggested a SquareTrade protection plan option to cover the next 3 years. If you guys have known this seller is selling defective/ damaged items, why the heck you guys even offer an option to buy your plans to cover already-damaged/ defective items?

Everyone, does it make sense that this company just wants to tempt you with lower cost of so call protection plans and then use a whatever excuse to deny your claim? If you don't call this business model a scam, what would you call it? I have bought some ST protection plans and lucky enough I have never made my claims. This time I realized how foolish I am on trusting a scam 3rd party warranty provider which just wants your money, but will find whatever naive excuses to laugh at your purchases like laughing at a fool. SquareTrade, you will never even get a penny from me in the rest of my life. And I will tell everybody I know about this funny story and review on everywhere I could to make everybody beware of your business scheme. Oh, by the way, I am reporting to eBay and my credit card company to get my money spent on you guys back, so, goodbye!

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Today is the 22nd day of Sep, I reported my damaged phone on the 10th. By the 12th I had a replacement phone that doesn't work. I've worked with at least 10 of the carrier's associates and several calls to Square Trade, NOTHING IS SQUARE. My replacement phone is worth $50 less than my orig. phone and the replacement still does not work, I am waiting for a 3rd Sim Card replacement. These tech. problems should be on the carrier not me. Why don't you and the carrier consider my needs, I'm out of work and I am asked to keep trying something else. I have no paycheck coming in for this past week. PLEASE JUST SEND ME A WORKING REPLACEMENT AT THE VALUE OF MY ORIGINAL PURCHASE OR BETTER NOT WORSE. I paid for the warranty replacement and the $25 Deductible but Still NO WORKING PHONE?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I opened a claim for a video camera that was accidentally damaged. I was emailed a FedEx tracking label. I left the package at my local FedEx dropoff location and waited several weeks before contacting SquareTrade again about it since I had not received any updates. They claim to have never gotten it. FedEx has told me that the tracking number on the label I was sent doesn't exist in their system. Even FedEx escalation team could not find any info for the tracking number on my label. They told me several times that the label simply doesn't exist.

SquareTrade left it off as "there is nothing they can do because I left the package with FedEx". Neither FedEx nor SquareTrade has accepted any accountability and my item is out there somewhere with a FedEx label supplied to me by SquareTrade that apparently doesn't exist in the FedEx system. So my claim sits in limbo while I am out my item and warranty refund. I have purchased many SquareTrade warranties for items I have purchased online and am disheartened that this is how my ordeal apparently ends.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Hi, I bought a TV with Frys in May 2015 and purchased the product with Square Trade. On 9/20/2018 my TV when turned on had some black spots and lines on the right corner of the screen. When I raised a claim it automatically got closed stating that there is accidental damage. The TV does not even have any scratch or broken on any part of the screen and at the back as well. The TV is good as is as we bought. When I called Square Trade I am not getting enough help and they are advising it has accidental damage without sending a technician even to review the TV. It does make sense how one can claim that it is an accidental damage without checking the TV. Need some help to get this resolved. I do not want to give even one rating.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Sent my notebook in August for water damage. It was fixed. Received it and it was packaged wrong and upon opening the package. My note fell out, it wasn't packaged properly. I my notebook back this time and it's not fixed properly, you can see gaps and misalign parts from the so called repair. On top of that my notebook case has dings in it from the drop. Which happened when SquareTrade didn't package it right. My computer will not wake up properly. I thought all of this was supposed to be fixed. I will not be recommending this establishment to anyone.

Hello Jermaine,

We're sorry to hear your item is still experiencing issues following it's most recent repair.

Squaretrade has policies in place to address concerns like your own, and when this issue was brought to our attention an agent reached out and discussed this claim with you at length. We explained which resolutions we can provide to get this situation resolved, and based on our conversation both parties were satisfied with the results.

We again apologize for your experience and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

KM

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have an Epson SC-P400 printer that has broken. On 9-19-2018 I tried to file a claim online which didn't go so well. As you navigate through the screens you have one that has you choose your issues with your device. On that screen as soon as you choose a category a submenu opens up with other options that you check the boxes with issues. 1st of all... the choices within these menus are worded like they are a laptop or computer related and not so much a printer. Nowhere did it say I have a limited # of boxes to check so I checked all that were most related to my printer. Then when I am done and scroll down, there is a RED warning message saying I checked too many issue wrong so I had to go back and remove issues just to get to the next step for a claim. Then it only gave 250 characters to describe the issue which is only about 2 sentences.

When it allowed me to submit it instantly came back with a manufacturer warranty thing. WHAT!!! Are you kidding... so I called direct after and spoke with a representative but we were having difficulty because of service in my area. I tried to chat on 9/20/2018 online but after getting nowhere I decided I want a supervisor to call me back. How can you decide a claim without all the info? I paid for a warranty and am being told to use the manufacturer 1st and even though I have a paid plan through SquareTrade and a rep has told me 2x even though I can use my plan, they proceed to tell me to contact the manufacturer so I don't use my claim and it is saved for future use.

I have been told this by chat online and the phone. So what did I pay for if they are not going take care of the customer. What a joke. Even when I look up my transaction # on my receipt I was told they have nothing, same for phone but then again we found my plan through a different way later on while on the phone. Still as I wait for a phone call from a supervisor I wonder if anyone will actually file the real claim for me or at least a corrected one with the right info before any determination is made this time. Maybe it's just easier to take the loss and throw the printer and the SquareTrade receipt in the trash.

Hello Dana,

We apologize to hear of your dissatisfaction with our online claims system, and if there was any misconception regarding how our warranty works.

Squaretrade offers customers access to the claims center via our website in order to expedite the claims process and prevent unnecessary calls into our claims center. This claim center is constantly implementing improvements and updates, and we again apologize if you are dissatisfied with the current state of this portal.

Additionally, Squaretrade warranties have always utilized the manufacturer warranty for eligible items and issues. This policy is in place to ensure you receive the maximum value of your plan, and should the manufacturer deny servicing your item we request you contact us with a reference number for verification.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They take your money and then when you send in for repair for items covered they keep your machine for over a month and it's returned to you exactly as you sent it in. And then tell you, "Apple can’t fix it now because we touched it. We can try to steal your machine for another month and if that doesn’t work then tough luck and you are stuck with a laptop that Apple can't fix and they can’t fix." This is the worst possible scenario.

Hello Daniel,

We apologize to hear of your dissatisfaction with our recent repair.

Any item Squaretrade receives at our repair center is processed for either repair, replacement, and reimbursement. Items received without a previously authorized claim are returned to the customer in the same condition received. Under no conditions will Squaretrade steal your item or keep it at our repair center without cause, and if this is something you felt occurred we consider a concern like this high priority in addressing.

Though we do our best to adhere to our 5 day service ETA, occasionally we need to order parts from the manufacturer to correctly repair your device. This can extend the repair process and may be the cause for the delay you experienced. Additionally, while we cannot speak to the policies of different companies we seen numerous instances wherein the manufacturer has continued to service items previously repaired by Squaretrade.

We want to clear up any misconceptions with your claim, and if your item is still experiencing issues we want to see how Squaretrade can assist. Please email any relevant claim or warranty information to reviews@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the subject line. One of our specialists will inspect your claim and follow up directly with you.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

When I purchased my iPhone 8 Plus in November 2017 (and associated SquareTrade protection plan), I was under the impression that the coverage would return my phone to its original, manufacturer specification should anything ever happen to it. When I unfortunately had to file a claim against the plan in September 2018, I filed a claim, grateful that I had opted for the coverage. However, there were major red flags at every step in this process. First, I had to call twice just to get the shipping label to send my phone in. Then, despite a guarantee that their "rapid repair" service would have my phone back to me within 2-5 days, it took six days to get my phone back.

The worst of it, though - and why I'm writing this review - is that my phone was not returned in its original condition. The screen fidelity is much worse now, with colors washed out, etc. I called and was told by the service rep that they use aftermarket parts for repairs and don't necessarily tell customers about it up front because "people who are sending in a phone for repair just understand" they'll be getting back aftermarket parts. How does aftermarket = original manufacturer specification?

In fairness, I will note that after calling and complaining, SquareTrade will be reimbursing for a repair through Apple, which will cost roughly what I paid for the deductible on this failed repair. But now I will have to go through another repair process and additional days without my phone, etc. Anyway, I'm very disappointed with my overall experience with SquareTrade so far and will probably be canceling my plan soon. Just a word of caution for anyone thinking of buying into this service who values the visual fidelity of their electronic devices.

Hello Ryan,

We apologize to hear of your dissatisfaction with our warranty service, and to hear if there was any miscommunication what our warranty offers.

Squaretrade's primary intention for all covered products is to provide a satisfactory repair, and to ensure your item is fully functional upon receipt. We apologize if you felt we indicated we only use first party components for service, as this is not the case.

Beyond repairing the particular concern listed in your claim our technicians also inspect all hardware components of your device to ensure there are no additional failures. Though Squaretrade utilizes some third party components, we test your item to ensure it's fully functional before return and we have numerous policies in place to address concerns with recently serviced items.

When this was brought to our attention one of our agents reached out to discuss our warranty processes with you, as well as refunded the deductible for your first claim. Based on our conversation we hope you feel more comfortable using our services, and we again apologize for any misunderstanding.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

They were so quick! My son's iPad screen was the initial problem but it turned out that the microphone was also damaged. They sent/received the iPad three times and even called personally to ensure that they understood and could address the problem.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had a CD storage exchanger (kind of like a jukebox) that quit working. I submitted an online claim for it, but somehow chose the "wrong" thing in my description of my problem. I said it had a broken part. I am an engineer. Of course a part had to be broken, for it to stop working like that. This "wrong" response kicked me into a situation where I had to fill out a form by phone with an actual person. I would give one of their people some information over the phone, and they would email me telling me, "Oops, it's incomplete. It's a no-reply email system." So I had to go through their lengthy phone menu, be put on hold, etc. etc.

This repeated about five times before they finally accepted the claim. The item was repaired and works now. But they wasted my time. I feel disrespected. I think they make it difficult to file a claim because that must somehow be to their advantage, but I can tell you I have bought these warranties in the past, and I'm never buying another one.

Hello Phylilis,

We apologize to hear of any inconvenience experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade provides customers access to the File a Claim portal in order to instate the claim process and minimize unnecessary contacts with our claim support center. This has proven to be largely effective in ensuring customer satisfaction and expediting resolutions for most customers.

Occasionally we'll require more information, such as an additional particulars of your item's failure. This is because our online system is sometimes unable to comprehend certain details that require more exposition. This is why we provide 24/7 access to our claims center, and our specialists are highly trained to provide accurate information and results.

In this instance your claim was approved shortly after your outreach, and we have already completed the repair of your item.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This company when it first started was great but now, they are the worst. Save your money and please go to another site. They won't honor your claims. I have spent 2 days trying to file a claim on a coffee maker. Yes that's right, a coffee maker. Imagine if this an expensive TV or sound system. Now, I am hesitant about moving forward because they stated that they don't cover warranties for products purchased at Best Buy, because BB doesn't sell their warranties. I have over 20 warranties that are now void because I purchase the majority of my products at Best Buy but have purchased a ST warranty Amazon, etc. Nowhere did it state this was the case. It's bait and switch and it's a joke. Buyers please be aware and avoid SquareTrade at ALL costs.

Hello Mike,

We apologize to hear of the difficulty you experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade warranties include certain requirements based on where you purchased your item, and we do our best to advertise this clearly anywhere you can buy our policies. This includes the item being purchased within the past 30 days, and purchasing warranties directly from Squaretrade for products not sold at our channel partners. Warranties sold on Amazon are only intended for items purchased at Amazon, and this is listed beneath the "Things to Know" section on our sales page for our warranty.

When this was brought to our attention one of our agents reached out to discuss this in length, and to further detail these requirements. We also offered to review all the active policies on your account, and to provide additional information regarding their validity. Beyond forwarding this information to your requested email address, we have also cancelled and refunded several invalid warranties.

We again apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience, and thank you for speaking to us.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I added this warranty through Target when I purchased a new phone. I was told if anything happened to my phone it would be replaced with a $129 deductible. 10 months later I dropped my phone resulting in a damaged screen. After contacting SquareTrade they told me I would have to go to a SquareTrade authorized dealer, pay the cost of the screen replacement, send in the receipt and wait for a remittance check minus the deductible. I did some price shopping and found that the cost of screen replacement is less than the deductible. SquareTrade refused to replace my phone or refund my warranty. I would never get a warranty through this service again. Total waste of money.

Hello Todd,

We apologize to hear you're dissatisfied with our warranty. Squaretrade does our best to provide a full description of the product you're purchasing, and we do our best to make this information clear before the policy is purchased.

Squaretrade can also provide a more detailed contract relevant to your warranty at any time, via email or hard copy. Though we understand you feel your deductible is higher than desired, your warranty would still save you a large amount of finances if you ever need to replace your device or have overly expensive repairs.

If you're still dissatisfied with your warranty purchase we can cancel the policy and prevent future monthly charges. We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your coverage.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I filed a claim to repair my iPhone display which would not turn on. The screen was previously cracked and repaired by SquareTrade, but I believe the repair was performed incorrectly, causing the screen to malfunction in operation. The agent on the phone told me that the claim would be processed within 24 hours. I expected to receive the shipping label the next day to send my phone off for repair, yet several days later I still have not been able to send my phone for repair.

I do not know what the delay could be in simply allowing me to mail by phone. If a customer has paid in advance for warranty service, the company should desire for that customer's item to be serviced as quickly as possible without waiting days and days for "approval" followed by more days of shipping and repair. I am highly dissatisfied with the service I have received. I wish to be refunded the purchase of the warranty. The cost of the iPhone should be paid as well if more delays continue to happen.

Hello Rafael,

We apologize to hear of the difficulty with your claim. For most claims your claim approval email is delivered within minutes of your confirmed resolution, though are certain exceptions.

In occasional instances we require more clarifying information in order to finalize your resolution. When this was brought to our attention one of our agents reached out to discuss the cause of this delay, and informed you the current status of your claim. We also refunded the deductible for your claim due to the delays experienced.

Based on the conversation both parties appear satisfied with the final results, and we appreciate you taking the time to bring us your concern.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I wanted an extended warranty for my peace of mind. It is always good to have, especially for electronic devices since I don’t know what and when an issue would happen. I heard great things about SquareTrade and I bought my warranty with them from the vendor that I purchased the device from. SquareTrade is very user-friendly and their people are so nice to me. They immediately responded when I filed a claim for a bicycle that was not working and right then I got my money back. They sometimes say that accidental damages are not covered but it will be beneficial if they are covered as that is the purpose that we got extended warranty. That aside, I strongly recommend SquareTrade.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Over a period of about ten weeks I sent Square Trade my computer FOUR times to be repaired. Each time it was returned the same problem occurred. On the third return I requested that I be paid the value of the computer as stated in the No Lemon Policy. The computer was returned to me again, and upon opening the box I discovered that it was shattered. I immediately called SquareTrade, upon which I was told to return the computer and I would be paid the amount I paid for the computer. About a week later I received the check and it has been deposited.

I was without my main computer for TEN WEEKS while dealing with this difficult process and spent MANY HOURS on the phone with Square Trade and also trying to restore my computer to proper functioning numerous times. It appears in my case that the repair services were inferior on all of these occasions. While I am finally satisfied that my purchase amount has been reimbursed, I will NOT be purchasing Square Trade again, and I will let my friends know about my substandard experience.

Hello Patricia,

We apologize to hear you experienced so much difficulty with your repair, as having to resend your item so many times for service is not typical nor the experience we want for our customers.

Squaretrade utilizes certified technicians to complete repairs, and once your item repair is complete we run a full hardware diagnostic before returning your item. This is to ensure there are no additional failures, and this prevents the vast majority of issues like you've experienced. We also have numerous policies in place to ensure issues like this are addressed, and in this instance Squaretrade has provided you a full refund for the purchasing price of your item and warranty.

We again apologize for your experience, and we will be conducting a review of your claim to see where we could do better.

KM

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

When I purchased the plan the website said the device would be fixed locally or in home. However, after my screen cracked I am in the process of filing the claim and the only option to repair is to ship it to them, then wait up to five days for repair (the website says 2 days guaranteed turnaround, but the claim process says up to 5 days), and then wait to have it sent back. That could be up to a week and a half without a phone. That is not what I thought I was buying. Nor is it giving a quote for deductible, website says $25 for in-home but I don't see what it is for this. The other option is to get a like new phone, but will have a $750 hold on my credit card. I feel mislead by this company.

Hello Jonathan,

We're sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our claim resolutions.

Squaretrade offers various resolutions depending on your item and the issue it's experiencing. Though we do our best to be flexible and provide the most convenient options for our customers, some resolutions cannot be offered for certain products.

When this issue was brought to our attention a Squaretrade agent reached out to you and discussed this at length, and explained what we can do to resolve your concern. Based on our conversation we hope you're satisfied with the results, and we appreciate you taking the time to speak to us.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Sent the item in to be repaired as it would not hold charge looked perfect. Received the item back in multiple parts. Called customer service and somehow this time they never took pictures or explained anything but said that there was physical damage to the product but couldn’t explain what it was or show any detail. Just that they would not cover it and sent it back in parts.

Hello Meagan,

We apologize to hear of the difficulty you experienced with your claim, as this isn't the experience we want for our customers.

Whenever Squaretrade technicians receive your item for repair we implement a thorough review of the product. This helps us determine which hardware components need to be serviced, and also ensures that the damage to your product corresponds with your warranty. In instances where the damage is not covered beneath your warranty our technicians return your item, and the item should be sent back in the same condition as received.

If your item was returned with additional damage we'd like to review the situation and offer our assistance. Please email your claim or warranty information to reviews@squaretrade.com and include "Consumer Affairs" in the email subject line. One of our agents will review your situation and follow up with you directly.

We're eager to investigate your concern and again apologize for any inconvenience.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I always wonder if paying the extra for insurance for your phone is worth it. With this experience I can definitely tell you IT IS. When I called they ask some very relevant questions and said, "Ok, that model isn't available any longer but we will ship you out a new phone ASAP." Within 5 days I had the new phone and couldn't be happier. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

THE SQUARE TRADE WARRANTY IS A RIP OFF!!! I purchased a 3 year warranty for $169.99 to cover my laptop. I was told it covered anything needed for 3 years and I could bring it to a local place to be fixed, not send in. I used the warranty 8 months after purchase and had to mail it in and they fixed it. I was never told the cost to fix it and it shouldn't matter to me as it is covered under the warranty. The laptop just broke again, 14 months into the warranty, and I am told that I already used up the value of the warranty and there is no more coverage on the laptop. Apparently once they fix it and the cost to fix it is the amount you spent on the laptop, the coverage is complete. I have 2 more years of coverage time and they will not fix it. I would NEVER recommend this warranty, it is not worth what you pay for it.

Hello Gerie,

We apologize to hear of the difficulty you experienced with your warranty, and to hear the policy completed sooner than expected.

Squaretrade has numerous policies in place to help our customers ensure the maximum longevity of their warranty coverage, and completing a policy after one claim is very atypical. When this issue was brought to our attention one of our agents reached out to discuss this situation, and based on our conversation both parties are satisfied with the final results.

We again apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate you taking the time discuss this with us.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I upgraded my review from one star to two stars. After over a month, SquareTrade resolved my claim by sending a check for the amount of the warranty and a second check for the amount of purchase of my daughter’s laptop. I am satisfied with the final resolution, but still dissatisfied with the fact that 1. The resolution took as long as it did; 2. That my daughter went without a laptop for a month; and 3. Had I not called several times and been as persistent as I was, and written a review, I may still be without resolution. She bought another laptop for Best Buy with a warranty from Geek Squad which does all of their repairs in-house unless absolutely necessary — keeping us informed of any necessary delays all the while.

Hello Leslie,

We apologize to hear you were dissatisfied with using our warranty service.

When your initial concern was brought to our attention a Squaretrade specialist reached out to discuss the situation at length, and to explain the cause for your repair delay. Our typical repair service includes a quicker turnaround time and any repairs exceeding our 5 day service guarantee are entitled to a full refund of the warranty (as was provided in this instance).

We appreciate you taking the time to speak to us.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I purchased a new Singer sewing machine with a two year extended warranty from ST to cover electrical and mechanical failures from normal use. It was working ok at the time. I tried to use it again this month (Sept 2018) and it would not sew a straight seam without the bobbin mechanism jamming, causing the thread to knot up under the fabric and making a clunking noise. I submitted a claim to ST on 9-11-18, which was not accepted; ST stated, "You reported accidental damage on your device, which your plan does not cover." There was no accident causing the damage; something in the bobbin mechanism broke/failed - which is a mechanical issue, supposed to be covered under the protection plan. Am very disappointed in ST plan - will not refer anyone to purchase this product.

Hello M A,

We apologize to hear your claim was recently denied.

Squaretrade provides different plans with varying degrees of coverage, and in this instance your claim was denied due to our online claims portal determining your issue to be physical damage. Your policy offers coverage against hardware and electrical failures due to normal use, and we understand in this instance there is a discrepancy regarding how this issue would be classified.

Though Squaretrade provides our customers access to the online claims portal we also offer support via our claims specialists. These specialists can be reached using methods of contact such as phone, chat, and more. Occasionally an issue your item experiences may require additional exposition and review, and this is when our claims specialists can step in and address.

One of our agents has reached out to the contact information on file, and should we get a chance to speak we'll further discuss your claim and how Squaretrade can resolve this concern. We hope to speak to you soon and look forward to the opportunity to turn your experience around.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I had an issue that the manufacturer wouldn't cover. I chatted with SquareTrade over the chat function and they told me to go to the original manufacturer which I had already done. I had to talk to multiple people through the chat before they said that they could only resolve my claim on the phone. Once I got them on the phone, they were great.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

SquareTrade was the only add-on option beyond the normal Costco extended warranty that comes standard with the purchase. I asked the representative to add it on to my bill and it was a relatively low price. It was very easy to file a claim but what I requested was not covered. Still, I'm very satisfied with SquareTrade.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Misleading information and poor service - I was initially happy to see the notification e-mail, my laptop is repaired and is being shipped by FedEx and I even got a tracking number. I have been calling FedEx and they informed me they have not received the package. I called SquareTrade today and they do not know what is happening and they will get back to me in 2 - 3 business days. Very disappointed. I will update if and when I get my laptop back.

Hello Harish,

We apologize to hear there was a delay with the return shipping of your item. Items sent for repair to Squaretrade are returned using expedited shipping, and this is a process in place to ensure your item is returned expeditiously. We understand in this instance there was a slight delay with the return shipping of your item, and we greatly apologize for the inconvenience.

We have confirmed that your item is currently in transit back to you, and one of our specialists has reached out to discuss this further. We hope to speak to you soon and we will be refunding the full purchasing price of your warranty due to the delay.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We had our TV insured with SquareTrade. One morning it would not turn on anymore. They sent out a repair man and it was beyond fixing. Square Trade sent us a brand new TV better than the one we had before. Over the top service!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We were so impressed with the customer service, details of returning the item and the turn around time of getting the computer to the company and then getting the device repaired and back so soon. We are very happy with the repair and definitely met expectations. I would definitely recommend others to using this company if needed. The whole process for us was a positive and we are happy with the outcome.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased SquareTrade coverage for a state of the art coffee maker that stopped working after 1.5 years. I contacted Square Trade online and by phone. They replaced coffeemaker swiftly, no hassles... All with exceptional customer service. Buy Square Trade for every product. Best money I have spent.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Working with SquareTrade is a lot easier than my provider's insurance. Did not have to sit on hold and everyone was very amenable to my need to get a replacement. I had to take it to a local shop first to get them to say it was not repairable and then forward that notice to Square trade. They agreed to send me a replacement immediately. I removed a star because there was confusion on when the replacement would arrive. I understood it would be overnight (Saturday delivery) so I changed the delivery address to be where I would be. It did not come until Monday which forced me to stay an extra day at the other address.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

SquareTrade offered to pay to fix my phone at a local repair shop. When the shop said it wasn't financially sensible to repair it, SquareTrade paid me out and paid to ship the old phone back to them. Great service, bought a replacement phone and replacement repair plan.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I filed my claim and despite the changes to the process, it remained easy to navigate. The persons handling my claim was fast, efficient and fair. After the processing of my claim, I was given the option of an Amazon gift card or having a check mailed to me. I elected the check and was advised that it would take a certain number of business days. I don't remember the number of days because the check came quickly. I've done business with Square Trade for several years and will continue to do so.

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information