Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5
Based on 1,017 ratings submitted in the last year

SquareTrade offers device warranties and protection. As a part of the Allstate organization, SquareTrade has programs for every type of tech device and offers online claims, free shipping on repairs and no hidden fees. Visit its website to sign up for SquareTrade’s warranty program today.

BOTTOM LINE

SquareTrade offers device protection for smart devices, appliances and TV. Its warranties are rated highly but may be an unnecessary expense over the life of the device. Premiums start at $5 per month.

PROS

• Coverage for most devices
  • Affordable plans
  • Cancel anytime
  • Accident coverage

CONS

• May never be used
  • 30-day requirement for most devices

Top SquareTrade Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

I purchased a brand new bike from a retail store along with a referred company to come assemble the bike and this warranty. The bike was never put together right and parts were broken… SquareTrade showed me that they were concerned and because of what happened and the red tape in my situation, they

I had to file a claim and it was quick and easy. I highly recommend Square Trade! Received settlement check in a timely manner. I will purchase in the future. I’m a very happy customer. Very easy to work with!!

What is SquareTrade?

SquareTrade’s device protection plans cover new and old devices, ranging from smartphones to smart refrigerators. Here are the devices that can be protected by SquareTrade’s warranties:

Smartphones
SquareTrade’s smartphone plans cover new and used phones and provide continuous coverage if you upgrade your phone or switch carriers. Single plans are available for one to five phones, or you can choose a family plan covering up to four phones. Repairs may be completed in-home, through the mail, at a local repair shop or at Apple’s Genius Bar.
Laptops
Warranty coverage is available for laptops valued up to $3,000. Plans extend from two to three years, with deductibles ranging from $0 to $75. The laptop must have been purchased within 30 days of your coverage date. For laptop repairs, you mail your device to SquareTrade using a prepaid label. Desktop computers can also be covered for three to four years.
iPads
Most iPad models can be protected with a two- or three-year SquareTrade warranty. Zero-deductible plans are available, and other policies have a $49 deductible. Coverage is only available for iPads purchased in the previous 30 days. iPads are repaired using SquareTrade’s mail-in service.
Appliances
SquareTrade covers appliances costing up to $3,000 with a three- or five-year warranty. Coverage is only valid for appliances purchased in the last 30 days. All appliance repairs are completed in-home.
TVs
SquareTrade provides two- or four-year protection plans that cover most major accidents and malfunctions for TVs that cost up to $3,000. Most TVs are repaired by an in-home repair technician within two days. You must have a receipt proving the TV was purchased in the previous 30 days to purchase coverage.

SquareTrade’s coverage varies by device, but some of the common issues and accidents that are eligible for coverage include:

• Cracked screens
  • Screen failure
  • Hard drive failure
  • Unexpected leaks
  • Remote failure

How does SquareTrade warranty work?

You can file a claim with SquareTrade online if your device is damaged or malfunctioning. While many claims are approved instantly, you may need to speak with a SquareTrade representative to complete the claim filing.

Once your claim is approved, there are a few ways your device may be repaired.

Repair TypeTime EstimateAvailability
In-HomeSame daySmartphones, TVs, appliances
Local repair shopSame daySmartphones
Apple Genius BarSame dayApple smartphones
Mail-In2 - 5 daysSmartphones, laptops, iPads

If SquareTrade is unable to repair a covered device, it sends you a replacement or reimburses you for its cost.

How much does SquareTrade cost?

SquareTrade warranty costs vary depending on the product, with smartphone coverage starting at $8.99 a month and television coverage starting at a one-time cost of $29.99. We’ve charted out the monthly or one-time costs and deductibles for SquareTrade coverage.

DeviceCostDeductible
Smartphones$8.99 - $19.99 a month$25 - $149
Laptops$89.99 to $549.99$0 - $75
iPads$109 to $259$0 - $49
Appliances$99.99 to $399.99$0
TVs$29.99 to $349.99$0

SquareTrade FAQ

Does SquareTrade repair or replace?
SquareTrade repairs qualified devices if possible. If it can’t make repairs, it replaces the device or reimburses you for its cost.
How does SquareTrade insurance work?
SquareTrade repairs or replaces covered devices as long as the damage is caused by an approved accident or malfunction.
How can I buy a SquareTrade warranty?
SquareTrade warranties can be purchased online or over the phone.
How do I contact SquareTrade?
You can contact SquareTrade by phone or chat from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. PT. Claims can be filed online 24/7.
How long do you have to buy a SquareTrade warranty?
Smartphone warranties can be purchased at any time, but other devices must be covered within 30 days of purchase.

Is SquareTrade worth it?

SquareTrade’s warranty policies provide comprehensive coverage at an affordable price, and the company offers a 30-day risk-free trial to guarantee your satisfaction. We recommend SquareTrade as an affordable device warranty provider that covers many common accidents and malfunctions.

SquareTrade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: May 13, 2020

I got the warranty at Walmart when I purchased my Lenovo all-in-one computer. When I had questions about the warranty, a lot of the cashiers were not trained thoroughly to explain, like they really had to pull pamphlet up and there was a lot of, “I think it does this or you should be able to do this.” There was no basic guarantee. But because I know about it, I took it anyway.

I was using the computer one day and Lenovo sent me a message telling me that there's an update that needed to be installed. I tried to install the update, then once it was done, it asked me to restart the computer. But when I did the restart, the hard drive crashed because it wouldn’t boot up anymore. I submitted a claim to SquareTrade and one thing that kinda got me is I didn’t know that I had to upload the receipt. The cashier didn’t tell me that within a certain amount of time, I need to upload the receipt so I wouldn’t have to keep it. Because when my computer acted up and I went to the pamphlet that they gave me to try to file the claim, the receipt was pretty much faded out. So I didn’t have a lot of information that the website asked me about. Luckily, it was just some numbers that I was able to see through the receipt. I put it in, and they were able to find my warranty. After that, the process was kinda easy.

The only thing I didn’t like was when I discussed the claims for the computer, they told me that the warranty doesn’t cover software issues and they told me I had to call the company. When I called the company, they told me I had to pay them like $100 just for them to give me some type of feedback on what to do. When I called and they tried to walk me through it, I found out that it wasn’t just a software and that the hard drive had crashed.

The warranty portion and the customer service were fine. They helped me right away. They explained everything to me. They sound like they were concerned. They wanted to hurry up and get the issue taken care of. But it's part of their rules that they have to transfer the call over to technical support to try to diagnose the computer. But the tech support kinda felt like they didn’t wanna help me. They kept trying to push me off to either Lenovo or they tried to get me to purchase the flash drive for the operating system through Amazon. They pretty much treated me like I didn’t know what I was talking about.

I had to call a couple of times. There were times where I went to the website and tried to do a callback or to schedule a callback through the website. I did it a few times and it wouldn’t go through, so I literally had to call them myself with the 1-800 number. The technical support is the poor part. But the customer service and SquareTrade themselves were great.

Once I found out that the hard drive had crashed, I called back SquareTrade to edit the claim, and once I told them the issue, the process was pretty fast. They mailed me a FedEx box with a label. They told me to package the computer and send it back, or I could go to a repair center, pay for it, and they would reimburse me. I sent it off and I got it back yesterday.

When I got the computer back, the bottom of the computer is cracked. The speaker is cracked. I had to squeeze some pieces back together, like I had to put a little bit of tape on it. I took pictures of it. So I did a survey and explained what happened. I also did a claim through FedEx but it's so much paperwork they want me to do to try to file that claim.

SquareTrade installed the operating system back, but none of the drivers or software that Lenovo originally had in the computer that came factory installed is there anymore. It's basically a blank Windows computer. They wiped the computer completely. I don’t have any software. There's no Lenovo software in the computer at all. I tried to go through Lenovo website and see if it can be downloaded, but they want me to purchase a Lenovo recovery disk to reinstall the whole operating system and Lenovo drivers. But that’s 30 bucks plus shipping. It's like one thing after the other. Also, the power button is real shaky. In fact, I have to press it hard just to cut the computer on.

Get buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2020

We have all kinds protection plans from SquareTrade because we're a business. We always buy a lot of things - the computers, printers - so we always try to protect everything. My HP printer was spreading the color. It won't give me a clear result and it gets lines every time. At first, I went to Office Depot because I lost my receipt. I got my warranty uploaded but I didn't submit my receipt at the time. And then, I went to Office Depot and they said, "We cannot pull out. That's a year old." So then, we called my accountant because we have a business and had all the data on the file. So, I just pulled up all the files about the date and everything, then I saw it.

SquareTrade tried to help me out to fix it but they could not. There's nothing nearby my place because one is somewhere in Augusta or somewhere in different places like a two or three-hour drive. And then the rep said, "Okay, let me try something else." He put me on hold and then he said, "Okay, let me see what I can do." And then he just put me and say, "Okay, you can just replace it because we won't be able to help you out somehow."

I got not the full amount because I went with the amount and I lost it because I used their amount. It's not much but still, I had to put some from my pocket when I bought another one. It's good because they change something on the printer every other two years. If you're losing $200, it's not bad because still, you got 200 more in a new one. It's a give and take. The new one is a better, different version, and you a lot of upgrade things - it's easy, emails directly from the scanning and everything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We purchased a SquareTrade protection plan for my Note 9 phone. At the time, it was at Sam’s Club and I had gotten a good deal with getting 300 on a visa card to get the Note 9. When they told me that it was $99-protection, which is cheaper than AT&T would be if I were to do their monthly plan, I took it. However, I was misinformed on the aspect that the phone can get broken twice for two years, once every year. I didn't realize that I had to pay $139 on top of my $99, which still is cheaper. It was originally explained that it was $99 for two years. I was told that if your phone has any issues or breaks in those 2 years two times, you can get it replaced for free. Their rep were very nice though. It was a Sam’s Club associate who deals with the phones and the SquareTrade with it.

My phone fell on the rocks in the winter and cracked. I let it go but as I was listening to music on my phone, my screen just went blank. If somebody was Facebooking me, it’d still beep, but it was a black screen, so that was why I had to get it replaced right away. My husband filed a claim online and the process was very easy. I wasn’t waiting for a new phone because all my information was on this phone ,even my calendar, and I didn’t iCloud any of it. I was very upset. I have doctor’s appointments and I don’t even know when they are. But I took the SIM out and put it in my old S7 phone. So, I just brought back my calendar, which was good. But in the meantime, my husband found a location that does SquareTrade out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And then, once they got the screen in, we went down and had it replaced.

It wasn’t SquareTrade's fault, but my S Pens wouldn’t fit in the screen because that’s where it clicks in. And my phone, I don’t know whatever screen they sent me. Supposedly, it was new from Samsung, but it did not work. My internet was in and out and I was getting dropped phone calls. I didn’t have service where I always have service. Thank god I was getting another screen in because of the S Pen. So, that whole situation was ridiculous. I wasn't too happy. I had called SquareTrade to say I had to make another three-hour trip to Harrisburg and I wanted it reimbursed because it wasn’t my fault that SquareTrade and Samsung gave me a bad screen. And the lady I spoke with laughed when I said, “Of course, you're not gonna do nothing.” So, I hung up on her. I was so mad. But I just chalked it up as people are ignorant. Of course, any company’s gonna try to get out of doing any more than they have to. That’s how it is.

I even dealt with the people that did the screen replacing and the manager in the background was a jerk. I told the employee on the phone that I heard the manager on the background. He’s supposed to be professional. It ain’t my fault that I brought my phone to them. It now needs to be replaced, and now, they're not telling me when I’m getting my screen. One minute they're saying, ‘He ordered it Saturday,’ but now, they don’t know if it was ordered.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

The process to start the claim was fairly easy, though in my case I could not start the claim online, I had to call and speak with a rep. The reps were polite and professional every time I called, assuring me they would take care of it. The 2nd to last time I spoke with a rep was to be sent the instructions to troubleshoot, before sending in for repair (I had a bad charging port and the phone would not charge using a cable), was to factory reset the phone. I did so, but still would not charge. On the last call, explaining that factory reset made no difference, the phone claim was approved. Arrangements were made to send the phone using a label provided by SquareTrade - easy.

Looks like my digitizer was replaced along with the charging port, though it was not broken when sent to them. Also something was mentioned about the case back, but not sure what, it was same as the one sent. The phone has been in an Otterbox case since the moment it arrived to me new, so nothing should have been wrong with phone cosmetics. In any event, another complaint I had was that the phone did not hold a proper charge, as it had, and I felt the battery should have been replaced. I indicated this throughout the complaint process, but the phone came back with the old battery.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied at the repair and process, with one exception and it's not a huge deal. While on the phone with the rep the final time, I was told that I would be shipped a new device overnight, which was great, then let down several minutes after that to find out that was not the case, and the phone would have to be repaired. Thanks SquareTrade, I would use you again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I would recommend SquareTrade because they take care of their business and they respond fast. They appropriately accommodate me as they should. Nowadays, any electronic or electrical device that you purchase really doesn't last that long. Having an extended warranty is valuable. It appears that when they manufacture stuff now, it's not well-made. I purchased a tablet and the retailer offered SquareTrade. My tablet stopped working. It wouldn't boot up. So I sent it to SquareTrade for the repair, but they couldn't repair it.

I phoned the claim in and it wasn't difficult at all. And my interactions with the customer service team was good. They sent me a mailing label, and then I sent it in. In a couple days, they let me know what was going on. In the case of the tablet, they sent it back, and still, it wasn't repaired, so I sent it back to them. And then they let me know that they couldn't repair it. And so, they paid the cost of the device.

The only thingis when I sent it to them the first time, the device they sent back to me wasn't my device. It looked like part of it wasn't my device. It was a tablet and it had a keyboard. So the keyboard detached. But then when I got it back, the keyboard would not attach to the tablet. It didn't fit. I had no problem before because it's magnetic. When you put it in there, it just finds it right away. Also, the tablet didn't look like my device. It was the same product but it wasn't mine. That was confusing to me and was a problem. They weren't telling me they were sending something else. The communication was it was mine. Then when I sent it back, then they told me they could not repair it. Then I would have to be satisfied because they paid me for it.

Original review: July 5, 2020

I bought my son some headphones from Office Depot back in March of 2020. They broke so I was chatting with someone from SquareTrade because I purchased their warranty. The person that I was chatting with decided he didn't want to give me a full refund, so he canceled my protection plan and is only refunding me the cost of the protection plan. Which is $5. I spent almost $60 on the purchase but Square Trade will only give me a refund of $5. I'm a single mom who's struggling financially, so $5 really does not help me at all!!!! I will NEVER buy a Square One protection plan/warranty again and I suggest that no one else buys them either. They are a scam!!!! They are not there to help you when what you purchased breaks. So I wanted to warn others about their scam.

Hello Mindy,

We're sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with your recent claim.

SquareTrade offers coverage for a wide variety of electrical and mechanical issues and, when the accidental plan is purchased, physical damage. However, our Terms & Condition state that we do not cover lost or stolen. In this case, the warranty obtained was a Standard Plan and it was reported that the item is no longer in your possession.

We're very sorry if any inconvenience was caused by this, but we'd like to see how we can further assist you. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly to get this resolved.

PB

Original review: July 2, 2020

They do not honor their contract. The charging cable malfunctioned according to Apple and I need a new one. They claim that they do not cover the phone accessories but that is not in the exclusions in the contract. Customer service provided me with the contract and it was nowhere to be found. The agent just kept saying that they don't cover them but would not provide me with written documentation, that is dishonest. Don't do business with them.

Original review: June 29, 2020

I made a claim about a phone and was told to take my device to Best Buy and I would be reimbursed. Due to Covid I was not able to go and my claim was closed. Now that stores are back open, I tried to open another claim by speaking to customer service and was told that because there was a small crack in the screen, I would not be covered for the mechanical issue. They will find any excuse not to cover your device. They are a complete rip off.

Hello Chantell,

We're very sorry that we were unable to process your claim.

SquareTrade offers two types of plans: Standard and Accidental. The first covers mechanical and electrical failures that occur during regular use of the item, and the second covers the same issues as well as any accidental drops or liquid contact. Your coverage type is determined by the plan purchased along with the item. In this case, when the first claim was filed, no physical damage was indicated, allowing the claim to be processed. When the follow-up claim was filed, we were advised of physical damage to the device the claim was denied.

Again, we apologize if this caused any confusion. One of our specialists will be reaching out to see how we can be of further assistance.

BH

Original review: June 28, 2020

I purchased a SquareTrade warranty for a set of Christopher Knight Home counter stools I purchased through Amazon.com. The stools are only 2 years old. On one of the stools the cardboard-type of bottom broke and the stuffing is coming out, and the seat is no longer comfortable.

Hello Lori,

We apologize for any inconvenience faced during your recent claim.

SquareTrade does our best to provide prompt and hassle-free service to our customers. We also do our best to ensure that we offer resolutions that tailor to our customer’s convenience and time, we again apologize if you felt this was not your experience. When the claim was started online, the problem codes entered caused the claim to be denied due to physical damage.

Reviewing the pictures provided, we can move forward with processing a claim on the item due to wear and tear. One of our specialists has reached out to provide further assistance in processing your claim.

BH

Original review: June 27, 2020

I used Squaretrade once before and received a fast result because they didn't want me to send in the item for repair. This time I had to send my laser printer in for repair. The transit time for FedEx was over twenty days as the printer sat in the FedEx warehouse waiting to be delivered. I complained to Squaretrade and they sent me a $50 check for my inconvenience. Once they got the printer, it was "repaired" quickly and returned to me. My one star review lies with the fact that the printer was not only NOT repaired, it was in worse condition than when I sent it in.

I immediately called, was put through two or three people and was told it had to be sent in again. What!? At this point they should have just written me a check for the item but, no, I had to pack it up again and lug it down to the FedEx at a local Walgreens. That was on June 12; today is June 26 and I've just received an email stating that it cannot be repaired and they will be sending me a check. I'm really steamed! I've been without my business printer since May 4, 2020. I now must wait another 7-10 BUSINESS days for the check. By the time I have a payout in my hand, it will have been over TWO months since this whole fiasco of a saga began. I'm done with SquareTrade.

Hello,

We apologize for the delays experienced with your recent claim.

SquareTrade attempts to ensure all devices are functioning properly when returned after repair. If there are any issues with the device after repair there is a rework period that allows for the device to be sent back in for further evaluation.  In the event, the device can not be repaired an alternate resolution is provided.

Again, we are very sorry for any frustration you have endured and appreciate your feedback. We hope to provide a better experience in the future as we greatly appreciate your business.

SquareTrade Company Information