Call toll free
3.47/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1216 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

My experience with SquareTrade has been a long journey. I originally purchased the warranty for a new MSI Gaming laptop in 2017. In early 2019, I broke the lid, making the screen inoperable. I filed the claim, and the instructions told me to print out a label, box the computer up and take it to the FedEx Store. I didn’t have a box, so I called and SquareTrade sent me a box with a label. That was on March 11, 2019. Since the communication said that they would send it back within 5 days, I figured I would get it back by the 20th or so with shipping times.

On March 25th, having heard nothing from the company, I searched for the number to call SquareTrade. I finally found it about 7 clicks into the website and called. I learned that the parts had to be ordered, and there was no ETA. I am not surprised by this. What surprises me is that this is a component of a large insurance company and there are no status updates or any real communication. I’ll keep this up to date as I learn more.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Purchased warranty for Beats Solo 3 headphones. Headphones keep switching off after about 3 minutes of use. Constant issue. Sent them into SquareTrade for repair. Was told they could find nothing wrong with them and they sent them back. Within 3 minutes of use they again shut down. We reset them, tried again, still shut down. Called customer service. Was told I could not put in a claim as I had just received them back and their technicians said they were OK. I was told to take them to a repair shop and get them to diagnose the problem. I told them I was not paying for someone else to diagnose problem when I have a warranty. Bottom line... Beats don't work - at this point warranty is useless because their technicians say they are OK - they are not.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I recently purchased an 82" Samsung QLED TV from B&H Photo and did not purchase the SquareTrade warranty. Then I contemplated if I should or not and decided I would buy it but wanted to read the reviews on filed claims. I'm glad I didn't buy it because that would have been $300 down the drain. I rather take my risk and file a claim through the USAA electronics coverage which costs me $3.00 a month.

I will NEVER buy a SquareTrade warranty because of the pain and countless denied claims on TVs I read. I filed a claim with USAA since I dropped my Surface Pro 3 and shattered the screen and bent the chassis on one corner which was totally my fault. USAA requested I get a quote on the repair costs. After getting a quote of Nope it can't be fixed because it has a bent chassis, USAA paid for the computer in full at retail price when it was new. Not only did they covered the cost of the computer but also the taxes and diagnosis costs. Did I mention it only costs me $3.00 a month.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I purchased a warranty from SquareTrade on my Brand new Samsung 72” TV. I called in a repair as I couldn’t change channels or inputs. They sub-contracted a technician to repair it (Alpine Electronics, Sandy, Utah). The technician placed the TV on top of my wooden dining table, screen face down to open it up, we asked him before if he was going to put down a protection blanket, and he said he didn’t need one. He scratched the whole screen. He switched it on and said it worked and then quickly left. The repair didn’t fix it, as the TV still doesn’t change channels or inputs, and on top of that my TV screen is badly damaged. I called SquareTrade immediately to report the damage and the non repair, and they said that we signed a document by the technician called a “Repair Inspection Form”, stating that the repair had been done, and that there was no damage to the TV. I had signed nothing!

I emailed them the pictures of the damage, and they sent me the “Repair Inspection Form” with a bogus signature. The technician forged my signature and SquareTrade believed it. I sent them our driver’s license to prove we didn’t sign it. They did an investigation and decided to cancel our warranty, because the TV had physical damage on it. So they destroyed my Tv and my warranty got voided. I am filing a law suit this week against SquareTrade and Alpine Electronics for a complete TV replacement and damages. I would recommend NEVER buying a warranty from SquareTrade. SquareTrade is dishonest, and do not care about their customers. They treated me like I was a fool. It’s a numbers game for them, at all cost.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have been paying about 8.99 for a SquareTrade warranty through Target for about two years. I do not know what I am paying for because when I just recently cracked my screen they said I would have to pay $120 dollars before they cover the rest of the cost... What on earth am I paying the 8.99 a month for? A screen replacement where I live without insurance is only about $120. So how does having SquareTrade help me at all? If you have an iPhone save yourself the headache and just get Apple Care. It is only 7.99 a month and if you shatter your screen it's $45 and you are done. No sending in proof, explaining what happened, and then waiting to get your two cents back in the mail...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: March 23, 2019

I purchased a 4 year warranty through Sam's Club 70 in Vizio TV. 2 years later my wife was watching TV. The TV went pop and approximately the center of the TV there was a break in the LCD like a spider web with two lines going straight up. So I called SquareTrade and told the representative what had happened and they said that there is no accidental damage coverage. I explained to them again that's something exploded inside the TV so they had me send them pictures and they said there's no accidental coverage so I asked to talk to her manager conveniently available but they would call me back in 5 minutes.

I never received a callback. I only got an email from a manager stating that they will give me my $99 that I paid for the warranty back. I have purchased hundreds of warranties through Walmart but not through Sam's Club and I have never had an issue with Walmart whatsoever. I told him if it'll make him sleep better at night that he could return my $99 but I think his company is a rip-off.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Clearly states in warranty that it is covered for accidental damage and they state I needed to buy additional accidental protection which was never even offered when I purchased this product. So this is a total scam and false warranty. It clearly states that in section 2-A-b that it is covered and nowhere in this does it state you have to have accidental warranty coverage. I also talked to purchasing power and this item was NOT offered the accidental plan!! I will be informing everyone I know not to purchase this plan as you do not honor it and will also be sending a copy to the Better Business Bureau!!

Hello Rebecca,

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our warranties.

Squaretrade offers a variety of warranties, some of which include differences in the type of coverage for your product. Though our warranty contract describes different warranty policies, the details of your specific policy can be viewed on our website or mobile app.

We understand you felt this was not clear upon purchase and due to this one of our specialists reached out to discuss the situation. Based on our conversation we hope we cleared up any misconceptions regarding your experience and we hope our resolution to your concern was satisfactory. We appreciate your patience while this was reviewed and your loyalty to our brand.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I purchased a 4 year protection $200 AND ABOVE plan for a $800.00 Printer from SquareTrade. Printer quit. Tried to file a claim and was told my warranty expired, I only had the printer for a year. Went back to Staples where I purchased the warranty and complained, after a week they told me SquareTrade to agree $500.00 on the printer. Tried to get them to settle up and all I could get from them is a bunch of red tape crap. I told them to stick it and I would never do business with them again. Never do business with this company. They're ripoff artist.

Hello Wayne,

We apologize for any difficulty you experienced with your Squaretrade claim.

Squaretrade covers products up to either the price you paid or the maximum value of your warranty coverage, dependent on how your policy was purchased. In this case Squaretrade has approved a claim for your product but your warranty has a maximum coverage limit which doesn't cover the entire purchasing price of the product.

This is why we've offered you assistance up to a certain amount and we apologize for any misunderstanding. One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation with you, we hope to speak soon and improve your view of Squaretrade.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have purchased SquareTrade warranties for years. I purchased a 5 year warranty on my Whirlpool washing machine. I filed a claim online then was emailed to call. They do not have a direct line to anybody so you have to go through the same routine every time you call. Minimum of 20-30 minutes regardless of your question. Filed claim on Sunday, was told to call back Monday as their appliance dept was not open on Sunday. Called Monday 40 mins to file a claim. Had them listen to noise machine was making over the phone. They emailed me that night saying I had to send a audio recording of the noise to them.

I did it the same night on Monday. I was told 1-2 days to hear back. Friday came, still no callback. I called to find out what the status was. 3 calls back and forth over 1 hour total. Finally they agreed to send a repairman to look at it. First they had to ship me the part then the repairman would come. Repairman came on Friday to look, said it need another part. Mind you I have a family of 5 with no washing machine. Repairman called said they have the part. Will be there on Thursday. He comes on Friday said it’s not the original or 2nd problem he found now the drum is cracked. He has to call SquareTrade and let them know.

Monday SquareTrade calls me to tell me machine has external damage, I argue in fact that it has no external damage whatsoever. I has been in the same closet for 3 years with no earthquakes. They didn't want to hear it. I offered to send pics of machine to prove there is no external damage. After more than 3 weeks finally they told me they are not going to honor their warranty for a make believe reason they made up. I will never buy a warranty from them again as this now is their routine to deny your claim. ONLY buy the manufacturer’s extended warranty, at least they will come and FIX IT!

Hello Michael,

We apologize we were unable to service your item.

Squaretrade does our best to help all of our customers but we are limited to servicing issues which correspond with your warranty coverage. In this instance your claim was initially approved for an in-home repair based on the description of the item issue. However, after our technicians inspected your item it was determined physical damage was prevalent on the product.

We understand you have concerns regarding this diagnoses and that you experienced difficulties with our contacting our support center. Even during instances where we cannot repair your product we want to ensure we're providing an exceptional customer service experience, we again apologize if that wasn't the case for you.

One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation and we're waiting to hear back. We hope to speak soon and to improve your experience with Squaretrade.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Was easy as ever. Couldn’t have asked for more help. Will always recommend to everyone. Keep up the great work. Never had a moments problem with anything or anyone. Best warranty I’ve ever had and easier to do when needed. Thanks for all the help. Customer for life.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The lady on the phone was awesome in helping me with what I needed, I Connie was doing this for my husband who is legally blind and when she told me that they would send me a phone I had questions regarding his ability to use; but she told me even that actually what to do. She was great. From the moment I placed the call was great experience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 20, 2019

I initially purchased 2 SquareTrade warranties for 2 security cameras for my parents house in Sept. 2017. I purchased them on EBAY. They worked very well until about 3-4 months later they both went out a week apart. I tried to go through the Ebay resolutions but was unsuccessful. I called Amcrest technical support and the technician went through the steps to reset but both were bad. I filled out their RMA form that the tech generated and submitted. I received a denial letter as Amcrest cited the Ebay seller was not an authorized seller.

I tried to get SquareTrade to repair or replace but I had to go through so many hoops that I gave up in May 2018 so I could wait until the MFG warranty expired. I then called (March 2019) SquareTrade and was finally able to get the customer service rep to send me shipping labels to get them repaired. Great!! I got them back a little over a week later and the lenses were replaced. I went to install the first one and noticed a little red cap in place where the antenna used to be.

Both cameras were in this condition. I use Wi-Fi and cannot connect without the antenna. I contacted SquareTrade chat line and after awhile was told they would get the antennas and send them to me. Today I received a call from SquareTrade that if I purchased new antennas, and send in the receipts I would get reimbursed. Still without camera. Online now to order replacement antennas that were taken apart and not returned. Ugh.

Hello Ramon,

We apologize for the recent difficulty with your repair.

Squaretrade uses certified technicians to complete our repairs and all items serviced by us should return to you fully functioning. If your item has returned without a necessary component we have policies in place to have these concerns addressed, as this is something we take great concern in addressing.

We understand you are not satisfied with our offered resolution and due to this one of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation. At this time we're still waiting to hear back, once we speak we're eager to improve your experience.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Excuses over excuses. Just a waste of time. First they said they would return the call, they never did, after calling them and 35 minutes on the phone they said that they can't find the serial number so I needed to call them back with it, now they want me to run diagnostics on the equipment...that's their job! The call center is now closed so call again. January claim. 3 months and running.

Hello Jorge,

We're sorry to hear of any dissatisfaction with our claims process.

Squaretrade does our best to make the claims process as hassle free as possible for our customers, though in certain instances we may request you provide information or follow some troubleshooting steps. These processes are in place to ensure we're providing the best resolution and the gathering all information we need to properly service your item.

We understand you were dissatisfied with this process and also experienced some difficulty reaching a support specialist. We'd like to see how we can help but we'll first need more information. Please email any claim or warranty details to us and include "Consumer Affairs Review" in the subject line. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to turn your experience with Squaretrade around.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Very happy with the service I received in replacing my phone. Knowledgeable representative and very helpful... Answered all my questions and concerns and promised to get the replacement phone to me ASAP. Received the phone within 24 hours --great service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I purchased a protection contract on a cell phone bought at Walmart 10/22/18. The cell phone was dropped and the face broken. A claim was filed 02/18/19. The same day of the breakage. I was told I would receive a check for the phone minus tax and cost of the insurance in 5-8 days. They provided a return label and I mailed the phone.

The check never came so I called 1-877-538-4389, the number provided on my receipt. I was told I would receive a gift care in the amount of $79 via email so I confirmed my correct email address. They sent me an email and showed that the gift card was sent to **. I contacted the company again and went over the correct email address. Again they emailed me and said they sent another gift card to **.

I contacted them again. This time they sent an email that said use the code provided and retrieve the gift card, however there was no code provided. I called the last time on 3/15/19. I was told I would receive $79 by mail. Instead they sent another email with a link to claim the card which was invalid. I tried repeatedly. It's time to let the public know about SquareTrade protection plan. I have kept all the phony emails in a folder and can provide them if necessary.

Hello Alice,

We apologize for any delay you've experienced receiving your item reimbursement.

Squaretrade has numerous policies in place to address concerns such as your own, as we take our commitment to reimburse customers very seriously. In this instance one of our specialists has attempted to reach you and receive additional exposition regarding the trouble with your gift-card.

We're waiting to hear back but once we speak we're eager to improve your experience with our company.

Original review: March 19, 2019

There was a dark spot in the picture on our Samsung TV that started appearing. Having a smartphone now, SquareTrade has made submitting claims pretty easy. I got an email with very detailed instructions. I had to take three different pictures and send it back to them. Then, I got a confirmation quickly that they had received it and within the day, I learned that they were gonna be replacing the TV. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole process. They gave me three options for the replacement to choose from that would be comparable to what I had. The TV I had was a 60-inch TV and the options they gave me were for 65-inch due to the pricing. It was very good. It's nice having the protection on the TV and I found the warranty to be very much very worth it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My HP printer stopped working and I remembered that I purchased the SquareTrade coverage for it. I contacted SquareTrade about it and my situation was resolved quickly and hassle-free. I enjoyed the experience and I will purchase their coverage on future purchases, whenever applicable. Thanks again.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I was impressed with how easy it was to navigate the website and how quickly SquareTrade responded to my claim and kept in contact with me throughout the claims process. I will be purchasing my next plan from them as well.

Original review: March 17, 2019

The CSR was very professional when it came to giving me the choices of how I want to take care of my problem. 4 days later I got my refund in the mail! I do highly recommend getting a warranty on everything with SquareTrade!

Original review: March 17, 2019

I filed the claim online, but had to complete it over the phone. Peta ** was the name of the lady with whom I spoke! I received a nice replacement phone quickly. It could be considered an upgrade going from a G4 Play to a Samsung J7. I just wish I knew an easy way to retrieve the data from my old SIM card.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I paid for purchase protection for an RC car I bought for my kids. After a few months the product quit working. ST insist I contact the manufacturer first because "electronics generally come with a 1 year warranty". Manufacturer clearly states on its website 30 day warranty. This whole back and forth over this stupid toy has taken more out of me than the full purchase price. They clearly have no intention of honoring the warranty. They are hoping I will just forget about it and give up.

Hello Yehudis,

We apologize for any difficulty you experienced with your claim.

Most Squaretrade warranties utilize the coverage your item includes via the manufacturer, as this provides multiple benefits for our customers. If the manufacturer declines stepping in to help we can do so on our end.

When this was brought to our attention a specialist reached out to discuss the situation with you, as well as a resolution. Based on our conversation we hope you are satisfied with our results and we again apologize for any inconvenience.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Toys "R" Us was selling the SquareTrade warranty, so I got it. My Switch wasn't working and I filed a claim with SquareTrade. It was good. They gave me no problems. I’m gonna send the Switch back this week.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Call Sq.Trade talked to Magall and filed a claim. Service was great. All info. was forwarded and claim was filed and satisfied in an expeditious manner. Thank you Sq. TRADE for your great service. You will be highly recommended to friends and family for coverage on all types of technology devices. It is one of the better deals on phone insurance.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I had bought a two-year warranty for a cellphone at SquareTrade and they did wonderful. We filed a claim over the phone when the cellphone's screen was shattered and their reps were really nice. They reimbursed me my money, and then we went and got us another phone.

Original review: March 16, 2019

iPad screen repair was quick and easy!! I recommend getting warranty every time it is offered!! I get it with everything I buy and it has come in handy multiple times!! It only took a few days and now my kid is happy to have the iPad back!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

The claim process was fast and easy. I received my merchandise on time and secure. SquareTrade is the best option when purchasing and merchandise because it guarantees warranty. The associates are good at their work. They fulfill their goals.

Original review: March 16, 2019

So easy to go through this transaction. My phone got fixed right away and without any out of pocket expenses. Fast completion for my phone. The tech person was friendly and quick to see what the problem was and told me what he was going to do.

Original review: March 16, 2019

TV Replacement Under Service Plan - The Square Trade agents were all pleasant and professional. The claim proof, justification, and completion process was reasonable and respectful. Once proof was provided, the TV replacement process was quick and convenient. I would certainly highly recommend Square Trade to everyone.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought 5 year SquareTrade warranty from Costco for my 80 inch Sharp TV. In its 4th year, it developed a small internal crack on its own resulting in vertical lines on the TV. There is no external damage to the screen (not even a scratch). When contacted Square Trade, they asked me to send pictures of the same and inferred that it was a physical damage and the insurance will not be covered. The TV has been wall mounted in the basement since it was bought and no physical damage was done to it. When I mentioned the same to them, they insisted it was, even though the same issues have been reported by other consumers. I feel cheated and let down by them.

Hello Rajeev,

We apologize we were unable to approve your claim.

Squaretrade TV warranties offer extensive coverage against a variety of hardware and electrical failures due to normal use. At this time none of our TV warranties include coverage against physical damage and cracks to a device screen would need this type of coverage in order to be eligible for service.

Since this item has physical damage we are unable to service the device and we again apologize for the inconvenience. We understand you disagree with this diagnoses but Squaretrade extensively trains our TV specialists to recognize this type of damage.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

I purchased a TV from Walmart. I added the 2 yr protection plan. My daughter accidentally knocked it off of my tv stand and cracked it. I filed a claim it was rejected because I was informed the protection plan I had only protects mechanical and electrical or power supply failures. They have a accident plan. I asked why couldn't I upgrade to that plan. Customer service informed me that the accident plan only covers cracks to tablets and cellphones not cracked tvs because they are supposed to be mounted down or on a stand which mine was on a stand. Be realistic. You will be more than likely to crack the tv then have a mechanical or fire. On the brochure it has in parentheses accident plans (drops and cracked screens, spills and liquid damages) and it does not specify just tablets and cellphones. So I have lost my money basically. I'll never by a TV Walmart or purchase their protection plan and how I'm feeling I don't plan on going back again.

Hello Tiffany,

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our warranties.

Squaretrade offers Accidental Damage protection plans for a large variety of products, such as laptops, phones and more. Whether or not your item is eligible for this coverage depends on the category of your item and where the plan was purchased.

Unfortunately we not offer this type of coverage for TVs at this time. Squaretrade TV warranties include Standard protection, wherein we will address any hardware or electrical failures your item experiences due to normal use. We understand you felt this was not clearly advertised upon purchase and this is something we take great concern in addressing.

One of our specialists has reached out to further discuss the situation with you, as well as what can be done to resolve it. At this time we're waiting to hear back from you but we look forward to speaking soon and we hope to improve your view of our services.

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information