Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5
Based on 1,146 ratings submitted in the last year

SquareTrade, an Allstate company, is an award-winning protection plan provider trusted by millions of customers for its fast and efficient service. Founded in 1999, SquareTrade covers electronics, appliances, furniture, and more from product breakdowns and life's accidents (select plans). Available at major retailers and squaretrade.com.

View More View More

SquareTrade Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 3, 2020

Too much back and forth for a $2 warranty. It took 3 to 4 months to finalize a $9 and a $2 warranty. It seems as if the staff was all to happy to pass the buck. When people are not satisfied with a product do not make them jump more hurdles. It makes things get to this point.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I’m a long-time shopper at Costco and Costco offered SquareTrade as a benefit to us. It’s a reasonable price to protect such a large investment such as our Samsung 65-inch flat screen TV. The TV itself was about either five or six years old, and for some reason, the colors weren’t coming through as clearly and as sharply as they should. After doing some troubleshooting and research, I realized that the TV was still under warranty. I called SquareTrade, did some troubleshooting and just followed their guidance.

The claims process was super painless. I like that it's very easy to file, initiate, and submit supporting proofs or pictures. The online platform keeps me as a consumer updated with every step of the way so I don’t have to be glued to a computer or phone and get notified of updates. That was extremely important to me. The issue was with the display and some with the LCD panel supporting the display. The cost to replace that was much higher than getting a new TV. SquareTrade ended up spending a couple hundred dollars on the TV itself. Although I got a model that’s three years old, still, it’s working and does the job. So, the replacement of the TV was much more cost-effective for them. SquareTrade is second to none with the ease of handling, professional processing, and convenience. I’ve been using it for multiple years. I thank them and their team for all the work they do to allow us as consumers to make good decisions.

Original review: April 3, 2020

My daughter bought a necklace for my son. We got insurance because we never knew how it would be with him. He’s 11 years old but he actually cherished and took care of it. However, the other end of the chain part came undone. I filed a claim and it was easy to call if I wanna speak with someone. They helped me out and sent me the gift card thing through my email. I just haven't been to Walmart yet to get it ‘cause with everything going on. Having this warranty is very valuable ‘cause my son loves his chain. He will wear it to school and he's a different person when he has it on.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Thanks for all your help. Had a hard getting my email to resend but once I got done everyone was very helpful. Love my replacement. Pray I don't have to replacement it again. Have a good day. Stay safe, Thank for all your help. You rock.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Needed laptop fan replaced. NOISE. Had tried since June 13, 2019 to get laptop repaired. Stalled, put off, ignored, etc. Once was paid attention to, March 6, 2020, it only took a few weeks to get needed repair completed. Repaired laptop was returned to me March 25, 2020. So far, so good! Thanks!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: April 1, 2020

We have all kinds protection plans from SquareTrade because we're a business. We always buy a lot of things - the computers, printers - so we always try to protect everything. My HP printer was spreading the color. It won't give me a clear result and it gets lines every time. At first, I went to Office Depot because I lost my receipt. I got my warranty uploaded but I didn't submit my receipt at the time. And then, I went to Office Depot and they said, "We cannot pull out. That's a year old." So then, we called my accountant because we have a business and had all the data on the file. So, I just pulled up all the files about the date and everything, then I saw it.

SquareTrade tried to help me out to fix it but they could not. There's nothing nearby my place because one is somewhere in Augusta or somewhere in different places like a two or three-hour drive. And then the rep said, "Okay, let me try something else." He put me on hold and then he said, "Okay, let me see what I can do." And then he just put me and say, "Okay, you can just replace it because we won't be able to help you out somehow."

I got not the full amount because I went with the amount and I lost it because I used their amount. It's not much but still, I had to put some from my pocket when I bought another one. It's good because they change something on the printer every other two years. If you're losing $200, it's not bad because still, you got 200 more in a new one. It's a give and take. The new one is a better, different version, and you a lot of upgrade things - it's easy, emails directly from the scanning and everything.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We purchased a SquareTrade protection plan for my Note 9 phone. At the time, it was at Sam’s Club and I had gotten a good deal with getting 300 on a visa card to get the Note 9. When they told me that it was $99-protection, which is cheaper than AT&T would be if I were to do their monthly plan, I took it. However, I was misinformed on the aspect that the phone can get broken twice for two years, once every year. I didn't realize that I had to pay $139 on top of my $99, which still is cheaper. It was originally explained that it was $99 for two years. I was told that if your phone has any issues or breaks in those 2 years two times, you can get it replaced for free. Their rep were very nice though. It was a Sam’s Club associate who deals with the phones and the SquareTrade with it.

My phone fell on the rocks in the winter and cracked. I let it go but as I was listening to music on my phone, my screen just went blank. If somebody was Facebooking me, it’d still beep, but it was a black screen, so that was why I had to get it replaced right away. My husband filed a claim online and the process was very easy. I wasn’t waiting for a new phone because all my information was on this phone ,even my calendar, and I didn’t iCloud any of it. I was very upset. I have doctor’s appointments and I don’t even know when they are. But I took the SIM out and put it in my old S7 phone. So, I just brought back my calendar, which was good. But in the meantime, my husband found a location that does SquareTrade out of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. And then, once they got the screen in, we went down and had it replaced.

It wasn’t SquareTrade's fault, but my S Pens wouldn’t fit in the screen because that’s where it clicks in. And my phone, I don’t know whatever screen they sent me. Supposedly, it was new from Samsung, but it did not work. My internet was in and out and I was getting dropped phone calls. I didn’t have service where I always have service. Thank god I was getting another screen in because of the S Pen. So, that whole situation was ridiculous. I wasn't too happy. I had called SquareTrade to say I had to make another three-hour trip to Harrisburg and I wanted it reimbursed because it wasn’t my fault that SquareTrade and Samsung gave me a bad screen. And the lady I spoke with laughed when I said, “Of course, you're not gonna do nothing.” So, I hung up on her. I was so mad. But I just chalked it up as people are ignorant. Of course, any company’s gonna try to get out of doing any more than they have to. That’s how it is.

I even dealt with the people that did the screen replacing and the manager in the background was a jerk. I told the employee on the phone that I heard the manager on the background. He’s supposed to be professional. It ain’t my fault that I brought my phone to them. It now needs to be replaced, and now, they're not telling me when I’m getting my screen. One minute they're saying, ‘He ordered it Saturday,’ but now, they don’t know if it was ordered.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

The process to start the claim was fairly easy, though in my case I could not start the claim online, I had to call and speak with a rep. The reps were polite and professional every time I called, assuring me they would take care of it. The 2nd to last time I spoke with a rep was to be sent the instructions to troubleshoot, before sending in for repair (I had a bad charging port and the phone would not charge using a cable), was to factory reset the phone. I did so, but still would not charge. On the last call, explaining that factory reset made no difference, the phone claim was approved. Arrangements were made to send the phone using a label provided by SquareTrade - easy.

Looks like my digitizer was replaced along with the charging port, though it was not broken when sent to them. Also something was mentioned about the case back, but not sure what, it was same as the one sent. The phone has been in an Otterbox case since the moment it arrived to me new, so nothing should have been wrong with phone cosmetics. In any event, another complaint I had was that the phone did not hold a proper charge, as it had, and I felt the battery should have been replaced. I indicated this throughout the complaint process, but the phone came back with the old battery.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied at the repair and process, with one exception and it's not a huge deal. While on the phone with the rep the final time, I was told that I would be shipped a new device overnight, which was great, then let down several minutes after that to find out that was not the case, and the phone would have to be repaired. Thanks SquareTrade, I would use you again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I would recommend SquareTrade because they take care of their business and they respond fast. They appropriately accommodate me as they should. Nowadays, any electronic or electrical device that you purchase really doesn't last that long. Having an extended warranty is valuable. It appears that when they manufacture stuff now, it's not well-made. I purchased a tablet and the retailer offered SquareTrade. My tablet stopped working. It wouldn't boot up. So I sent it to SquareTrade for the repair, but they couldn't repair it.

I phoned the claim in and it wasn't difficult at all. And my interactions with the customer service team was good. They sent me a mailing label, and then I sent it in. In a couple days, they let me know what was going on. In the case of the tablet, they sent it back, and still, it wasn't repaired, so I sent it back to them. And then they let me know that they couldn't repair it. And so, they paid the cost of the device.

The only thingis when I sent it to them the first time, the device they sent back to me wasn't my device. It looked like part of it wasn't my device. It was a tablet and it had a keyboard. So the keyboard detached. But then when I got it back, the keyboard would not attach to the tablet. It didn't fit. I had no problem before because it's magnetic. When you put it in there, it just finds it right away. Also, the tablet didn't look like my device. It was the same product but it wasn't mine. That was confusing to me and was a problem. They weren't telling me they were sending something else. The communication was it was mine. Then when I sent it back, then they told me they could not repair it. Then I would have to be satisfied because they paid me for it.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have a DVD tablet which wasn't working. That time, I could see black lines and I couldn't cut it off. Initially, I called HSN but they said that I should call SquareTrade. I called SquareTrade to put in a claim for my DVD tablet but then their reps gave me a bunch of runaround talking about how I don't have a warranty. I buy a warranty for anything that's over $100. I called HSN back and they called SquareTrade. What I got was a return label so I sent out my DVD tablet thinking it was going to SquareTrade. However, the whole package came back to me because there was a lithium battery in it that couldn't be sent. Furthermore, the package was going to the wrong place, HSN.

So I called SquareTrade again and again their reps told me that I don't have a warranty. Thereafter, I talked to HSN again and their reps said that my warranty was canceled. I told the rep with whom I was speaking that I didn't cancel the warranty. She then said that it got canceled and that they put my money back in my account. I went to my back account and my records show where I paid for the insurance and that HSN and/or SquareTrade didn't give me my money back. When I called them again, another rep said that it was a mistake on their end and that my warranty was cancelled from there.

The first rep tried to ask me if I wanted her to give me my $27 back. I told her no because I bought the warranty. It's now way over a year later and she wanted to give my warranty money back. I called HSN again and they got other people. I bought the warranty and there's proof in my bank account. I also have my warranty paper. I purchased a three-year warranty for my DVD tablet for $23.07. Somebody would have to pay for it.

Even though I have a problem going on, I'd recommend SquareTrade and I love them. When stuff is in the right, I have no problem with them. They get my stuff sent. If they can’t fix it, they send my money back. I bought a Motorola phone and it was horrible. I can't text on it because it would stop. I couldn't talk on it either. It just goes crazy but then the next minute, it would work. SquareTrade handled that quickly. I got a new phone coming. So, I know that they're not the problem.

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information