Call toll free
3.46/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

SquareTrade opened its doors in 1999 at the beginning of the technology revolution. As cell phones, electronics and various new gadgets emerged on the market, the need to protect those expensive items in the event of an accident became more prevalent.

SquareTrade changed the game of the warranty industry by actually offering warranties that covered accidents that happen in everyday life, rather than covering the bare minimum like so many warranty companies had done in the past.

Check out our top-rated protection today by visiting our site or just give us a call!

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

877 SquareTrade Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Great online experience. Filing our claim was very fast and we received funds within a few days. I rarely buy extended warranties because I feel that they are a ripoff and the insurance company will just drag their feet when there is a valid claim. I am not likely to change my process, but I would now be more likely if it is offered through SquareTrade.

Get expert buying tips about Electronics Extended Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Customer service was phenomenal. They had me a new phone in 2 days. Can't say enough good words about the service. Buy the insurance. It is worth it people. Easy to return the damaged item. They provide all of the materials to make your return easy as pie.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The experience was beyond great. The way everything went down was even better. Only waited about 4 for it and that's not bad at all. I would definitely recommend this service to any family member or friends. Shipping was fast, quick and easy.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

When I called SquareTrade to describe my computer problem they were very attentive and understanding. I had purchased an HP Stream which, apparently, had been sold to me without the manufacturer's one-year warranty. The technician could hear the frustration in my voice, and, after checking verifying the Serial No. and other details, got approval for my case, gave me a claim number right away and sent the postage paid FedEx label. I sent the computer out to SquareTrade that Monday and got a confirmation from them same day as they have the tracing number. I also got an alert when the computer was received 2 days later and another alert when it was sent out. All in all, the entire process only took 1 week. The computer is better than it ever was, thanks to the experts at SquareTrade. I trust them completely.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Samsung TV - We are thrilled to say that we have NEVER received such great customer service & with such speed. We had our tv replacement within 2 days. The gentleman that helped us was polite, professional & very helpful. Thank you very much for living up to the warranty without all the hassle. Great job!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SquareTrade?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I've had several experiences with Square Trade, they are always prompt and helpful when it comes to a claim. There was one time though that I had purchased a camera and it wasn't able to be repaired, the refund I was given was so little compared to what I had paid for the camera as they were unable to repair it. They prorated the value of the camera which was a little over a year old, I believe the refund was around $50 and it was over a $200 camera. They are still very helpful when it comes to a claim though.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I have always appreciated the reasonable prices and great service of SquareTrade. My only problem is that I live in an area where I do not get U.S. Mail at my physical (UPS/FedEx) address. The SquareTrade system only has one address, so even the Customer Service representatives are confused on how to get the right address.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had problem with my surveillance after 2 years. I had protection plan with SquareTrade. I called them. SquareTrade fix my problem less than 4 days, they even paid for shipping and receivership. Thanks SquareTrade. Whenever I buy any electronics items I always buy protection plan from SquareTrade. It pays long run.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was told I would receive a new replacement phone within 2 days but it NEVER CAME! I'm sick of calling to try to get my phone!!! So I'm using the 2nd Doro flip phone with no screen. The screen worked for one day after activation! I thought after all my calls and assurance that my phone was on its way, that this was resolved! That was about 2 weeks ago!

Hello Robin,

We apologize to hear of the delays with receiving your replacement device.

For most replacement claims through Squaretrade we ship out replacement devices with overnight shipping, as these devices are shipped directly from our depot. For certain warranties such as yours the replacement device is actually provided by your carrier and in this instance your device has not shipped due a discrepancy regarding your account.

One of our agents has reached out to explain the cause of this delay and what Squaretrade can do to resolve your concern. We're currently waiting to hear back from you and we're eager to improve your opinion of our services.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Screen was cracked although the phone had never been dropped. SquareTrade covered the damage and quickly replaced the phone with a similar (upgraded) model. There was never any hesitation on the part of SquareTrade. The entire transaction was seamless and painless.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

SquareTrade delivered a brand new TV. To replace a 2 yr old one that was broken through no fault of mine. Very fast and efficient. I would recommend this warranty. Well worth the money. Good good good good.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am 100% happy with the SquareTrade warranty. Communication with me every step of the way: from troubleshooting, trying to remedy the problem online, emailing the shipping label, status reports, and overnight FEDEX shipping, I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to take out this warranty! Just one little "glitch" after my cell phone was received by the Service Center who was directed to only contact me via email. So, when the email they sent requesting the PIN CODE to access my cell phone was dumped into my JUNK mailbox, I didn't know the Center couldn't work on my phone for 5 days!!! Thankfully, they finally called me directly. I received my repaired phone the next business day.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

GPS stopped working, contacted SquareTrade, no problem, got the coverage taken care of and nice people to deal with. Have used this service before and would use again. Good value for the money and peace of mind about what you purchase, win-win.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My experience with SquareTrade was positive. I dropped my Samsung 8+ and the screen shattered. They referred me to a local repair shop and agreed to cover the loss via an online claim submission. They handled my claim as I would have expected. It was prompt and as agreed. Bravo!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I recently had my mother drop my phone which cracked the phone screen and they gladly replaced it but the negative came today as I was tripped by, to be polite here) a crazy whacked out lady who plowed into me knocking me to the floor and of course the fall cracked the phones screen. Well after calling ** I was assured repeatedly there was a warranty on that phone and should contact SquareTrade to get it replaced. Of course when I called SquareTrade when I informed them of my accident the line went dead and repeated calls ended the same and when I finally got ahold of someone I was told there was NO WARRANTY which of course made me upset and then the line just went dead and once again I repeatedly dialed them and as before no answer.

Then when the call was answered was told there was no warranty and once more the same thing I was put on hold for 15-20 minutes then dial tone. I was fuming and this is where I hold ** responsible as they refused to intercede on my behalf as I can understand their policy but there was no hint of help as they told me they won't help! I'm paying an extra for a warranty and believe accidents do happen and I was put in a position of great stress as I had to buy another phone which of course I think was pure **!! As that's what I thought the INSURANCE WAS FOR!!!

If that company needed a 1-10 score I'd rate them negative 10 and full of crap, not the word I want as the 4 letter ** word fits. Is not an insurance policy paid for by me suppose to protect me as after this for lack of niceties I end here. I got "SCREWED" by this piece of crap company and find out the hard way that there A LOT OF HANDS IN THEIR BACK POCKET as the consumer gets screwed by all. DAMN!!!

Hello Peter,

We apologize for any misunderstanding regarding your warranty.

Squaretrade offers warranties which include differences in coverage types and lengths, though this depends on your item and where the warranty is purchased. Your warranty was purchased through your device carrier and this type of warranty includes two claims per year before the policy is completed.

We understand you felt this was not clearly indicated, as well as the difficulty you experienced with contacting our claims support center. One of our specialists has reached out to discuss the situation with you, as well as what Squaretrade can do to resolve your concern. We look forward to speaking with you and hope to improve your opinion of Squaretrade.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Defective chair upholster splitting. Quick and very easy to get reimbursement for the problem I was surprised when you sent me a ecard for the price of the chair I was expecting that a card would be sent to me instead of receiving the ecard almost immediately. Thank you for your quick response to the request and the receipt of the ecard. This is the first time I have had to request a need for repair of something I have purchased and had a replacement contract.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I wasn't sure I was going to keep paying for insurance for my phone but decided to go ahead with it. Then I dropped my phone and broke the screen. It was very easy to deal with the SquareTrade office. They gave me a work order number and several names of places where I could have it repaired. I took it to one of them and they repaired it within two hours. It cost me less than half of what it would have been without the insurance.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I personally haven't had to file a claim with SquareTrade yet but am very happy that they are there if and when I need them. And they are very reasonably priced. Coverage is very good for the value. It gives me a nice peace of mind knowing my product is still covered after the manufacturer warranty has expired.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The only change is do not send an empty box back. The box was returned by FedEx and required a signature. Not needed, the rest was perfect. The response was fast. Received the check quickly. Very pleased with the whole process. Good job.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Very impressed with ease of warranty and fast response. We just purchased our iPad, had cracked screen, my warranty covered this, just mailed iPad in and received gift card online before they could have received it. Thank you for excellent service.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I purchased my TV from Sam's Club in January 2015. On November 10 my TV quit working. Won't turn on, won't do anything. No worries I thought, I purchased the warranty. I called. Located my receipt and called SquareTrade. My paperwork clearly states that "TVs larger than 37" will be serviced in your home. If you call before 3 pm EST a technician will be to you within 24 hours." SquareTrade needed me to submit my receipt and said it could take 2 days before they located my policy. On November 12 I received an email that I could now file a claim. I attempted to file the claim. After entering all information it said I needed to call. They weren't open (even though they boast 24/7).

I called later in the morning, went through a lot of nonsense with the representative. He kept asking me to tell him what it said on my TV screen -- again, the TV won't turn on! Finally he called the TV a "dead unit". Then told me he's sending parts to me and they'd locate someone to come repair it! I questioned the 24 hour guarantee in my paperwork, only to be told that wasn't possible. It's now 11/13 and the parts haven't shipped, and the email I got was that they are having a harder time finding a repair technician in my area. We're at day 4 with no resolution from SquareTrade. Wishing I wouldn't have bought this warranty, because by now I'd have gone and purchased a new TV, and have countless hours of my life back. I would never recommend someone purchase a SquareTrade warranty.

Hello Heather,

We apologize to hear of the delays experienced with your claim.

Squaretrade warranties which are purchased at our partners typically arrive into our system automatically, when this is the case claims can be filed on your policy on the same day you call. Occasionally a receipt is required to source the policy and this process can take up to 1 or 2 business days. This is why Squaretrade allows access to our claims center via www.squaretrade.com and phone support via our customer support center, as customers can register their policy at anytime. Though our support center is open 24 hours a day filing a claim for certain items require contact with a specific department, and these departments do include business hours.

When filing a claim our specialists will request some additional details regarding your item and it's current status, this is to ensure we're ordering the correct parts for your repair and providing the most appropriate resolution. Based on previous conversation with our specialists we have confirmed that the parts for repair have arrived, at this point we're awaiting your technician to reach out and schedule an appointment. We understand you were informed this process would only take 24 hours and due to the delay we have processed a full refund of your warranty purchasing price.

We again apologize for the delay but can ensure you a technician will be reaching out shortly to complete your repair.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was disappointed when I closely inspected my laptop and notice the damage that had been done to it. It had gone in for a screen replacement on my previous claim. There are very obvious bending by the HDMI port. It's all bent, on the right side of the computer you can notice bending of what I believe was the tool to remove the broken screen. The new screen is not set on the right and it's rather popped out. By the start button there is a chip and bending, you can also tell where the laptop casing is not sat right. It's slightly open.

On the back side of the computer one of the screws doesn't even belong to my computer, it's a different color and size. It even sticks out. I hate to call and find that after the time and money I am losing, without my tool, my laptop, I get it back in this condition. I have had this laptop and have never dropped or tried opening it, the only normal wear from it were slight scratches on the surface from going in and out of my laptop bag. I invested good money on this computer and seeing it come back in this condition is really unacceptable.

Second claim; Talked to a representative about my problem, and they said that they would compensate what my laptop was worth and that they would send me a second claim. Talked to another representative, said he was sorry that they were only going to fix it. I send my computer a second time, by this time they said my insurance was expired but that they will send me another box to file the second claim. After I send my computer, received it exactly the way I send it. No fix whatsoever. And now with my touchscreen not working. I thank you for your time considering my product. I am not looking for a third claim or any matter related to your service, or additional services to fix my laptop. Thank you for your time.

Hello Luis,

We apologize to hear of any dissatisfaction with our recent repair of your item.

Squaretrade's primary intention with every repair is to ensure your item is fully operational and functioning to manufacturer standards, this requirement is in place for all items we service. Whenever a repair is completed our technicians run a full diagnostic on the item to ensure there are no hardware or electrical failures present, only when an item passes this diagnostic do we return it to the customer.

However, Squaretrade warranties do not cover cosmetic issues. Cosmetic issues can include minute dents or scratches to the device body, as is the case in this claim. On the first claim our technicians serviced the issue with your device screen and the dents present on the device body were not addressed. Upon our second receipt of the item it was determined there was no failure of the device functionality and this is why it was returned unrepaired.

However, if the item screen is no longer functional this is a concern we take great care in addressing. We understand you would not like an additional claim but we have sent additional information to the address on file should you change your mind.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Square Trade quickly responded to our TV issues, probably about a year ago now. TV was failing intermittently. They had us perform some simple tests and offered options for a solution. We are happy with our resolution and have a Square Trade warranty on our new TV as well. Thank You.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I had a printer that quit working within the warranty covered by SquareTrade. I had no problems getting a new printer. It was well worth purchasing the extended warranty. I have recommended it to others who have asked about my experience.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Refurbished HP Laptops - Bought two. For the first problem it was sent to SquareTrade and was received back the next week. I called them about a problem with the second one and they resolved it over the phone. I plan to use them in the future.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I would HIGHLY recommend SquareTrade to anyone. I have only had positive experience with them. They stick to their words, they play no games when it comes to handling a claim, their phone reps. are professional, diligent and really helpful. They are simply the best! So again, I highly recommend SquareTrade.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Fixes my stuff in a timely manner. Would have preferred to be clear on what the actual coverage is. Didn't know coverage was only up to the cost of the item. Otherwise, service has been good and met my needs. Would recommend.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

It was very easy to receive and talk to a representative. They took care of my problem immediately, they also followed up and made sure I was completely satisfied. They stand by their contract, where the manufacturer drives you crazy.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I am pleased with the ease of dealing with SquareTrade. They were fast and quick with my return and my service. I have used SquareTrade in the past on some items and have always received great service. I like the fact, that if I need help, the are always there and reliable.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

My laptop had a bad battery port. Sent it to SquareTrade to have it fixed. When I got it back the drivers were completely erased and the computer is unusable... I'm not very happy. I'm not able to download anything so that I can use my computer.

Hello Nikki,

We apologize to hear you're dissatisfied with a recent repair.

Squaretrade always recommends backing up devices before sending them in for repair. Our computer specialists are trained to advise this to customers and this information is included in your claim approval email. Our certified technicians do their best to keep your device information intact, but there are many instances wherein resetting a computer is necessary in order to test the device.

Unfortunately, Squaretrade does not cover data loss or software issues. We again apologize for the inconvenience.

KM

SquareTrade expert review by Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.

SquareTrade began offering electronics extended warranties in 1999, and is now one of the leading providers. The company has millions of customers and has won numerous awards for its plans and customer service.

• Products covered: SquareTrade offers protection plans for smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, laptops, portable audio players, home entertainment systems, appliances, cameras and wearable electronic devices.

• Plan options: Plans vary by product, but most cover 100 percent of parts and labor for accidental damage from drops or spills along with malfunctions. You can get one- to five-year plans at a variety of price points depending on the value of your device.

• Perks: Enjoy 24/7 online claims and free two-way shipping if you have to send your device for repairs. Some plans also have a five-day service guarantee.

• Plan comparisons: SquareTrade’s helpful charts compare their protection plans to other leading providers, including Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and AppleCare. You can see the average prices of each plan, how long they last, whether or not you have to pay a deductible and more.

• Breakability testing: SquareTrade has its own YouTube channel where it shares product breakability tests. You can see what happens to a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it's dropped from a building, submerged in water or tumbled in a dryer.

• Best for: Those who want accidental damage protection for their personal electronic devices.

Profile picture of Rosemary Avance, Ph.D.
Rosemary Avance, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Rosemary Avance, Ph.D., uses her social science research background as a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team to help people make smart choices. She researches products, businesses and industries thoroughly, then passes on the most relevant and essential information for consumers looking to make important purchasing decisions.

SquareTrade Company Information