3.3/5 (83 ratings)

About Western Governors University

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: July 24, 2021

I have been a student at Western Governors University for nearly 4 years now. I have a B.S. from WGU and am currently in a WGU Master of Science program. Prior to my transfer to WGU, I attended 3 other colleges both traditional, in-person classroom instruction and labs as well as a few online courses and some that were hybrid. I am also familiar with the largest, most prestigious public university in my region through my relationship working there and briefly being admitted and attending. I can say with complete confidence that my experiences at Western Governors have far exceeded that of any other educational institution in my lifetime. I will share my personal story below but let me first briefly outline whom I believe WGU to be for and why it would not be for some.

WGU is for you if you:

- Have been trying to work and get a degree
- Never got a degree, but have a lot of domain experience
- Are comfortable or otherwise able to complete learning somewhat independently (though there are exceptions)
- Learn quickly and are frustrated by the necessity of each course taking a full semester
- Have felt that your knowledge of some course material has been sufficient to pass finals before beginning them
- Need a flexible school schedule to fit your life around
- Want and are able to complete a degree program in much less time than normal
- Prefer not to spend egregious amounts of money on your education
- Are concerned that some of the courses you take do not adequately prepare you for real-world applications

- Have a degree, but want to complete a graduate program

WGU may not be for you if you:

- Simply need in-classroom instruction
- Need to complete a degree that is more theory-based and less applications-based
- Neither see money nor time as an object
- Prefer the social experience of being on campus
- Require an Ivy League alumni network and branding

- Will ultimately move on to certain professional graduate education such as medical or law school

I believe I have been fair in my assessment of the above. I do truly believe that there are plenty of circumstances that would not benefit from attending WGU. I will say, however, that the vast majority likely do not fall into those categories. Every concern I had about WGU prior to attendance has dissolved. I was concerned that the school was a diploma mill, had low quality, under-educated professors and staff, did not educate students adequately enough to perform in their careers, would be looked down on by future employers and colleagues, would not lead me to graduate-level opportunities. None of these concerns materialized. The opposite proved true.

My bachelor’s degree was hard-won. My master’s work is challenging and fulfilling. My employers and colleagues praise and admire my education. I have been accepted to multiple graduate-level programs of varying renown. My professors have been some of the best I've ever had in my life and consummate academic professionals.

It's simply a no-brainer to choose WGU if you are considering it. I cannot say that everyone will have the same experience I have, but I can say considering my not-insignificant experience with universities and colleges, Western Governors University has shone brighter than any other. If interested, please see me story below for more details.

My story: As I said, WGU was my fourth post-secondary institution. I was not graced with a traditional education as a youth and, therefore, my opportunities for higher learning were somewhat limited initially. In addition to that, and perhaps in concert, I began working full-time at a young age and was living completely independently just weeks after my 18th birthday. All this is to say, though I was eager to complete a college degree, the barriers to my college learning were great. I never did, and never will, have the opportunity to solely be a university student with no other obligations. But I was determined to complete a course of study, so I began any way I could and gave little thought to my future career.

As a result, the vision of my future has shifted considerably over the more than a decade since I began college. Work obligations (the basic necessity of putting food on the table, and also having a table to put it on) were a persistent roadblock as well. Eventually, attending classroom lectures and labs became a near-impossibility. I shifted to hybrid and fully online-based courses at my local community college. This eased the burden somewhat, but my progress was still painfully slow due to the time constraints of semesters and how long each course would take. I started to become quite pessimistic about finishing a degree program. I was already seven years in and had changed my major four times. I needed something different.

I was introduced to WGU through a family member. They had just completed their MBA at the university. At the time, WGU was just another one of those predatory, private, online schools in my mind, so I never gave it much thought. This family member's experience wowed me. They had completed a bachelor’s program at a prestigious state university prior to WGU and were gushing about how much better their experience had been at WGU. I was skeptical but decided to find out more. So, I began interrogating him about my impressions of the school. Wasn't it just a degree factory? Doesn't it cost a ton of money? Isn't the quality of education and instructors sub-par? Won't employers look down on you because of where you got your MBA? These were, of course, valid concerns. But my initial impressions of WGU were far from reality. Or so he said. That's when I decided to give it a shot.

Skeptically, I applied and was admitted to the university. Having a substantial educational career by this point, I figured a transfer would be no questions asked. To my surprise, they were more selective than I had anticipated. This might be dissuasive to some, but it was encouraging to me. I was placed with a Program Mentor, a role I equated with academic advisors like I had met with in past experiences. That was a mischaracterization. My interactions with academic advisors had been brief and often unnecessary. My WGU Program Mentor was in contact with me weekly. She was enthusiastic and celebratory in my success; concerned and motivational in my struggle. I attribute much of my success at WGU to some excellent Program Mentors that have guided and encouraged me along the way.

I was apprehensive of WGU at first because I suspected the professors to be of sub-par quality and educational preparation. This fear quickly evaporated as I moved through courses and became familiar with some professors, or what WGU calls Course Instructors. Each experience with my professors at WGU has left me with the utmost confidence that the university cares deeply about the quality of their professors. I have been supremely impressed with my Course Instructors, many of which have gone far out of their way to help me in times of need. In comparison with some of my previous professors at other institutions, I can say that I had a few that were outstanding. But the overwhelming majority of my professors at WGU have met that standard and I cannot thank them enough.

Finally, let me share my experience about the issue I was most concerned about. Like many, I was fearful that putting WGU on my resume or my LinkedIn page was going to be perceived as a derogatory mark. I thought that in important job interviews I would be questioned about my education and that my colleagues would consider me lesser than. I am happy to report that I was wrong.

I have had dozens of interviews over the years since beginning at WGU and have had a few different jobs as well. If anything, I could say that the opposite has been true. I get more questions about the university from individuals that have heard good things and are exploring graduate opportunities. I have been asked in exactly one interview, perhaps the most important one of my life thus far, about Western Governors and the intent was not to question my education but to praise the university. Perhaps there have been opportunities I've lost as a result. If that has occurred, it has been without my knowledge.

I am incredibly proud to be both an alumnus of WGU and a soon-to-be graduate of a WGU master’s program. I persistently evangelize the university to my colleagues, friends and acquaintances. The opportunities that have opened to me because of my choice to attend have been manifold and have launched my life to a new level. I know the same can be said for many of my alumni peers. I submit the same could be said of you.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I began seeking different avenues of furthering my education and it was until I got on the phone with Melina ** @ WGU for our first call, that I felt comfortable with my direction that I was considering. She really made things that felt overwhelming before, more simple. She was very patient and kind, it really made all the difference for me. If I had gotten on the phone with someone who was just eager to push me forward, it wouldn't have worked out.

She met me where I was and in the process of that, we ended up moving through enrollment/admissions quickly. She is a rockstar and I'm confident in WGU because if they have someone like her on board, then I have high standards for the people I work with from this point forward. Thank you Melina for setting the tone for my college experience. Good luck to all those considering furthering their education, I hope you get someone like Melina to assure you along the way.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I was involved in education for about 10 years (substitute, aide, and secretary), so I knew a lot of content already. I had an A.A going in and that helped tremendously. I had a good experience. I missed finishing in a year because of one course and that was on me (never had geometry before). The mentors are good. I actually had 3 over my time there and an acquaintance going through Teacher College had the same one the whole way through. It was a little off putting but things happen. I know that WGU does a lot on quota based calls and communications, maybe why they were very "helpful". I felt prepared to take my pedagogy exams and passed them both on the first try!

I am a certified teacher thanks to WGU and their program. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into the workforce if they have prior knowledge in the field. Some people were taking it slow and that's okay, that was their experience. With WGU you can make it your own and it's challenging work with real world applications.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Great school that allows you you go at your own pace. Regionally accredited and offers a optimal price level depending on how fast you move through the program. If you are an accelerator, you will not find a better priced college. But even if you are not, the flexibility offered in order to truly take tests of classes on your own time is unbeatable. Not everyone can to night school or take tests at set times. WGU is perfect for those people who need flexibility. Because it's a non profit, staff and mentors are there to support you and don't hold you back if they see you can do the work. Overall 5/5, and I think that the global pandemic will really shift a lot of peoples views on online education, and I am sure WGU will lead the way.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

First, I'd like to say that I have an AA, that includes English Comp 1 and Eng Comp 2 with Technical Topics. My enrollment counselor was good and got the hint that I wasn't interested in being on the phone for excessive amounts of time. I was finally "cleared to enroll" and that's when all of the WGU-specific hoops appeared. You must complete an orientation course, that includes a written work to be submitted at the end of the course.

Granted, it was in the format of "question and then answer in complete sentences", but the last thing I want to do is write, for no credit at all. Finished orientation, now I wait for classes to start....or so I thought. Nope, another time-consuming nonsense task: meet with a "mentor", which consists of a phone conversation that is 30 minutes long. You must do this in order to enroll in any classes and for the duration of your first term, you must correspond with this individual via email or by phone, on a weekly basis.

That's just what the adult-learner needs: another task that is a complete waste of time and energy. Financial services sent me an award letter on the 6th, then sent me an email on the 20th, stating that I had required tasks to complete. The term at WGU starts on the 1st of the month. So, I look into it and see a correspondence that essentially says "Another institution is requesting student loans, so we can't request those loans. You have to contact the institution and tell them to cancel their request." I have been told that WGU can't process my student loans until the other institution cancels their request. I have attended several institutions and haven't ever run into this type of problem.

So, I've developed a theory: WGU is either unable or unwilling to reconcile student accounts until the actual funds are in their account. I have received a financial aid refund from a college, and then had the funds revoked and I've had to pay back the college. The college essentially extended me credit and when the loan wasn't funded, I owed that debt to the college. I really REALLY wanted to put the pedal to the metal and bang out my ** in a year, but there has been too much doubt sown. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I've seen a number of other reviews about this school. Many of them depend on the individual and their ability to navigate a course or ask for help or follow the links within the course to more elaborate parts. My issue has been this, and by the way I will not hire anyone with a WGU degree if I see one. My issue is the poor construction of the courses. In my very first course I had to make, I believe 9 revisions over ONE sentence. It's the reason why, that is concerning and one of the reasons I won't accept a WGU degree from a potential employee. The reason I had to make so many revisions is because THEIR answer was incorrect. The worst part is that their incorrect answer hadn't even been provided in the text. There was no way to get it right.

The second thing I hate about WGU, is that it doesn't test your knowledge in a number of cases, the tasks you have to complete have NOTHING or little to do with the actual curriculum!! How can I trust a degree from there, when people are passing courses via tasks that have nothing to do with the real knowledge they should have about the subject matter. So, while I still go there, it's a NO for me. Hard pass. I hate this school and their courses. I recently was about to take an exam and I took a mini practice quiz to get ready, and the quiz tested me on things the section never covered. Typical WGU in my experience. So don't frustrate yourself by going.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

This is by far the worst experience I had in a long time. The enrolment counselor is extremely useless and don`t know anything. I got more information just from the website than talking to the counselor (by the way I changed 2 persons). It took them 3 month to reject all my requests, 3 MONTH!!! First they play the game that there is no way they can change anything on your application even if there is a mistake, after 3 month turns out I had two active applications in their system and they did not notice, really? If you value your time and nerves, choose different schools.

Original review: July 16, 2021

First? You must live within the Mountain Time Zone (greater Utah area) to get the help you need at Western Governors University. WGU professors roll up their proverbial carpet quite early in the day. They are also most nearly always on vacation (e.g., I received regular email responses declaring how long professors would be out of office and those responses were constant). That means students end up working with professors with whom they have zero rapport, assuming you can actually find a professor who is available in your time zone, that is.

The school also hires staff who can barely speak English. So if you're struggling with a topic and need to connect with a professor, good luck understanding them! If you ask for a professor who speaks better English you will immediately be flagged for "disposition" issues and will be called a "racist." (I am not exaggerating here!) While you and I both know that needing to understand a teacher's vocabulary/communications is important to learning - the university does not seem to understand that basic principle of learning.

The most offensive thing about WGU is the way they expect active teachers (who are grad students) to be visually blind to how students look and talk. Regardless of your personal racial background, or how much your culture describes people by appearance, if you write about the only white child in a classroom and describe that child as "blond" you will be flagged as a "racist." Because race and culture are relevant to socialization and classroom learning, it's completely disconcerting that WGU expects students to ignore all of that.

Instead of emphasizing how all races, cultures, religions, and genders have legal rights and are protected under the law, WGU emphasizes not seeing race, culture, religion, or gender at all. That makes it very difficult to discuss individual student rights and their struggles that are relevant to student demographics. WGU will not help you become a better teacher. Not at all. Their goal is to train sheeple who merely type out papers that meet their incredibly narrow perspective. They will constantly preach about equity in the classroom but the University itself offers none of that for its grad students.

Realize that WGU sits in the heart of Mormon country. (Salt Lake City, Utah.) Because they hire from within their church the staff have a very narrow ultraconservative view of the world and they are hypersensitive about world events on an ignorant and excessive level. My background includes teaching in Title I schools where students get their breakfast and lunch at school and many go home with food in their backpacks. White students are the minority where I teach. The staff where I work come from all races, creeds, and cultures. I have never ever had an issue working where I do but with WGU being so out of touch with real world teaching practices - I had to drop out of their program because they were wasting my time and student money.

Original review: May 4, 2021

This college is not recommended. I had bad experience after registering class of 2019, with bad instructors. I had contacted several times the college admins and not able to resolve the issue. In fact, I don't like the curriculum itself. This college is totally set up 100% online who does not require any assistance which is basically like buy book and take industry standard exams. I was trying to take java which requires hands on experience but they provided the link to see low quality videos than found on YouTube. Overall, I regret wasting my time and money on this school.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I looked into this school for an option to earn a Bachelors in Secondary Education. When I put through the initial request for info, I received an email from Kaylyn in enrollment or advising - not sure which one. She asked me to let her know when I was free for a call, so I replied to her with my availability. She never emailed me back, but the next day I got a call from them and missed it. They left me a voicemail asking me to call back and sent me a text with a number to call.

I called back and spoke to someone who informed me they didnt have a degree path that could fit my needs. Okay, no worries. I got an email from Kaylyn right thanking me for my interest and asking me to let her know when I was available to set up a call again. Not the same email, but ridiculously close. I emailed her back and let her know that I already spoke to someone and and they told me WGU didnt have an option for me. No response, but the next day someone called me again asking if I had time to speak to an advisor about my interest in WGU.

I cant comment on their courses or anything else, but just as someone who was considering this place for online school this method of communication is a huge red flag. Felt like no one was listening to me and I was just being passed around like a sales lead. The emails from advisors/enrollment are obviously both automated and unmonitored. I was not impressed.

Western Governors University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

Western Governors University Company Information