3.1/5 (102 ratings)

About Western Governors University

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: Feb. 2, 2023

I could not read all these negative reviews about such a great school, without posting something. I graduated with an MBA from WGU, and my experience was amazing. From enrollment, to my first class, to my capstone (last class), WGU showed up for me in every way possible. One thing I will say, is that WGU is for those who are ambitious, hence the term ( University of You). If you are someone that allows life to happen to you, this is not the school for you. WGU is created for those who create their worlds, and don't take no for an answer. No school is perfect, if you are someone with ambition and drive, you will definitely utilize WGU to your advantage and benefit.

Those who had bad experiences with WGU, I am sure there may be some truth to their experiences. Some are just utterly blowing things out of proportion. Before WGU, I attended 2-3 different state schools, and my experiences were far worse than what some commenters are posting, many more things I could complain about, and did not receive half the support that I did at WGU.

Ultimately, my MBA degree is the highest paying degree at WGU (arguable because college of IT is on a different level). Nevertheless, WGU has changed my life for the better, and I have no regrets. If you are a person with a "go getter" mindset and attitude, you will not regret WGU, and some disappointments will not ruin your overall experience. I work in government, and my degree is very respected. Thank you WGU.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

This university is fantastic if you have experience in the field and are self motivated. Though they do offer assistance in any category from writing to math as well as student forums, I found that being highly motivated made this experience a breeze. If I had went into the program with no prior experience I can imagine this would be a tough program. For those of us who want a degree and have years of experience, this is the only way to go. I finished a second undergraduate degree in 3 months and am now moving on to the Masters program.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

First off, I would like to start by saying that many reviews contain false or dramatized information created by students who could not handle the independent, flexible type of education WGU offers. Most of these people should have considered their own schedule, intelligence, and desires before seeking out an online, flexible university.

Secondly, I would like to say that I highly recommend WGU to anyone who is looking to advance their education and is willing to put the time and effort into doing so. I found the flexible nature of WGU’s curriculum to be a breath of fresh air. I learned a great deal and appreciated the ability to go at my own pace. I highly enjoyed my time at WGU, and had a great relationship with my mentor. I will be returning for my MBA and will continue to tout the graces of WGU everywhere I go!

Original review: July 24, 2022

I had been out of school for 20 years and suddenly found myself in need of a degree in Accounting. WGU is a school for grown ups. No one is going to hold your hand or read the book to you. You will probably have to research outside sources as well, just like you did in high school. I do recommend reading through the course chatter and course resource documents. In the course chatter a lot of students who passed the class would cite what resources helped them the most. I earned a degree in 18 months. It was not an easy 18 months but I did it.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I was apprehensive when I decided to go to WGU for my master's due to unfavorable reviews online. I can understand what others are saying because my husband had a similar experience. However, I think it depends on what you’re hoping to get out of an online school. I also believe I was lucky to get the people I had. My enrollment counselor was amazing from the start. Very informative, I could tell he knew his stuff. By the time I got my Program mentor it was a great transition. My program mentor is phenomenal. Before the term started she had sort of a webinar for those starting on how to navigate, things that needed to be completed before you could start the courses, and answered any questions.

The thing I really admire about my program mentor is how helpful she is on answering my concerns. For instance: I told her how I’m struggling to plan out how I’m going to study for this course I’m currently in. She gave me valuable tips that has helped me in this course. My program mentor also celebrates my wins when I received an award for my first paper. She sent me a text to congratulate me. I really appreciated that. The instructors are amazing.

Whenever I’m starting out in a course, I always contact the instructor by email introducing myself and letting them some of my concerns and asking if there are any tips or suggestions to survive. The recorded cohorts that the professor do are important. They tell you more information than what is in the rubric. One of the instructors shared the rubric is purposely created with minimal details to pass. This is due to test if the students are in those lectures/cohorts - you don’t have to attend, but you can watch in your own time, that’s what I do. That’s my go to before starting the course is listening to recorded cohorts from the professors.

In regards to proctors, yes they are outsourced and the thing is we need to understand that our way of communicating/understanding is very different from others who either can speak very little to no English. While they may seem rude, it’s likely unintentional. I grew up with parents where English is their second language. When someone is speaking or trying to communicate in a second language there’s a lot going on in their mind to ensure they get their words out in hopes the person can understand what they’re saying. With that being said, I think we need to be more reasonable when it comes to people who are proctoring the exams.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2023

This is my second go at attending WGU. First go around was a couple years ago. I went through 2 classes and had to take a pause due to some personal issues. My biggest issue is their veteran's department. They are extremely slow in processing paperwork. I've used my GI bill at other institutions before and it should not take as long as it has to send verification to the VA so I can get my BAH. I purposefully took less hours at work to focus on school this time with the idea my BAH would cover the remaining amount. However since they have failed to submit anything on time, the VA will not be paying me on time so back to work I go. I will be transferring ASAP. Absolute waste and lack of care on their end.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

WGU cheerleaders will tell you this university is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry to burst some bubbles here, but this place ain’t all that swell. Lemme tell you why. First, there’s no professors here but “course instructors” who can’t instruct somebody on how to tie their own shoelaces, let alone teach a class. Speaking of classes, they're full of mistakes. Wrong answers get marked correct on quizzes all the time, and vise-versa. Online textbooks are from a decade ago and the videos look like they were recorded back in the late ‘90s/early '00s. 100,000+ students and that’s the best they can do? They’ve got the quantity, but boy are they lacking in quality. You’d be better off watching videos on youtube for free instead of shelling out thousands of dollars a year in tuition.

When you try to email instructors for help, they pretty much get back to you when they feel like it. Come exam time, it takes hours to set up. Proctors speak broken english and disrespect students without batting an eye. Not to mention, last I checked, WGU ain't even ABET accredited which is a deal breaker for me. If having your degree recognized by companies and federal contractors who require ABET as a minimum standard for licensure matters to you, then look elsewhere. Don’t be fooled by phony five star reviews (likely submitted by faculty themselves) singing high praises. So happy to say I’m transferring out of here to an actual accredited degree program. I feel like singing high praises myself, now that I’m finally leaving!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

If you choose this “school,” it will be one of the worst decisions you will ever make. It certainly was one of mine. WGU is nowhere near as easy and flexible as others claim it is, in fact, it's the complete opposite. Grads have said you can accelerate by doing the preassessment, studying what questions you got wrong, and then taking the objective assessment. If you actually plan on accelerating, do not follow this advice. If you fail a PA or OA by the slightest margin you are forced to schedule multiple meetings with your course instructor and “review" material that is already in the online textbooks. You CANNOT sit for a new exam unless you do this childish handholding.

You are also not allowed to knock out any other class in your term and come back to the one you failed at a later time. You MUST take that same exam before moving on. As you can tell, this decreases your capability to accelerate. My advisor told me that most students will fail their exams the first go. And it’s no wonder as to why. WGU has outdated learning materials, and even worse software. For a school that is touted as the go to solution for IT professionals wanting to obtain their degree, I find it quite concerning that they have so many technical issues.

The student portal crashes every other day, with big red banners issuing a fake apology and explaining that staff is “currently working on the matter.” They’ll be “working on the matter” for 365 days plus. If you ever manage to access the student portal, some feature is always buggy or lacking. The exam scheduling buttons fail half the time. And the education software they use–the laggy Pearson, the bloated McGraw Hill, and the abysmal MyEducator plug-in–make it difficult for you to actually learn anything in a class.

And don’t get me started on the proctors. Proctors come an hour late at a minimum. If you have test anxiety, be prepared to be on edge by the time these people remember to show up. Exam rules are inconsistent and confusing. Besides having you scan your test area, you will be told to peel off water bottle labels, remove your shoes, lift your keyboard, take down paintings, and other nonsense that has NOTHING to do with the exam, FIVE PROCTORS would not let me start my exam because they’d claim my white board (that WGU sent me, mind you) wasn’t a “white board” but instead a “dry erase board.” They must not understand that they’re literally the same thing because of the way it translates in their native tongue.

Why is WGU using a third-party company for its students who are based in the United States? That tells me that they don’t care about student’s quality of education, they just want to save a few bucks and get cheap labor overseas. It’s concerning giving people whose faces you cannot see, from a country infamous for scamming, absolute control over your computer. Who knows what kind of viruses and monitoring they’re doing while you take your exam?

That’s not even the worst part. Imagine going through all that trouble, just for the proctored exam to crash midway. Good luck contacting IT about your problems. They’re too busy fixing the myriad of other issues at the school. Even if you do manage to get in contact with a human being, they have absolutely ZERO training on how to help you other than blaming your problem on your internet connection and telling you to reschedule your exam, before issuing a mountain full of tickets that they don’t follow up on half the time. Rinse, and repeat.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that the IT staff are actually WGU grads who couldn’t find work anywhere else (since they would actually have to put real IT skills that they lack to the test), and were hired on by WGU, just so the school could tell people their students found work after graduation. That seems to be the case for many of these so called “online schools”. If you need something fixed, expect to wait weeks for any updates or feedback. I have never seen an institution so poorly run in my life. DO NOT attend WGU unless you want to waste your time and money.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I am halfway through my program and over the course of time have had nothing but problems from WGU, their mentor manager, and a majority of their instructors. I don't know what qualifications WGU is using these days to hire and staff, but the quality of people that they're slotting couldn't be hired at a daycare as far as I'm concerned. The biggest problem with WGU management is that they just give the ball to the instructors and let them run with it. There are no standards that need to be followed - so you can have a great instructor for one class who understands the importance of providing resources and placing them in the correct location then you have others who haphazardly create messes and overlap this information all over the place.

The terrible instructors are the ones who send you generic, auto-filled responses. If that is going to be the case, then they need to program software to respond and manage the class and FIRE the instructors who don't feel that engaging with the student is the correct way to do things. I read the feedback about their proctors and scheduling exams - yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Half the time the proctors are LATE and by the time they read their scripts you are 45-60 minutes past your testing time because of the 3rd world country's Examity managers and their lack of interest in being on time for the exam. Which brings me to another curious question: if they are using a 3rd world country to proctor the exams why isn't there more testing availability in terms of time of day or day of the week? I mean, wasn't that the goal of WGU to save money and plug in proctors into testing times?

And I cannot help but wonder: why aren't WGU using people who live in the United States to proctor the exams??? Here we go with the whole job outsourcing to a country who could care less about the importance of the exam, of being on time, or otherwise. And WGU never hold them accountable for being late or for not understanding the test instructions correctly. WGU seemed to be a great idea but now I'm wondering if it would be better to branch out to another school to finish my degree who will help me accomplish this without all of the Beverly Hillbilly hassles.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Literally as soon as I typed my phone number I get a call. The person from WGU tells me they don't know anything, but will connect me to someone who does. They put me on hold for about ten minutes and tell me no one is available. They say what is the best way to reach me. I say, "Alright, how about I ask you a question and the counselor emails me a response." In a panicked voice the person says loudly "I don't know anything". I say, "I know. That's fine, just write down the question and have the counselor get back to me." They panic more, and ramble on how they don't have any answers. I don't get a good feeling about this place.

Western Governors University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

Western Governors University Company Information