3.2/5 (91 ratings)

About Western Governors University

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: March 31, 2022

This school is horrible. It looks great in the beginning but it's honestly just a scam to waste your time and money. The program is competency based so if you're a bad test taker or have anxiety, then it's not for you. They also don't care about what happens in your life. You could be going through medical issues, physical issues, mental issues, anything really and they don't care. It has to happen at the right time for them to care. Mentors are useless. The exams are proctors which isn't so bad but the proctors are outsourced, don't speak English, are super rude and distracting. I honestly wasted so much time and money with WGU and now I'm finally transferring. I feel so relieved.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I just completed my degree at WGU and am planning on attending graduate school at a different institution. My program mentor during the last term was the first person I thought of to reach out to for an academic recommendation. I was told no because we had only spoken to one another online. Yet, WGU is a completely virtual platform. If you're looking to continue your education beyond WGU, be mindful that you may or may not receive any letters of recommendation you might need for other institutions.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was reluctant to attend WGU after the number of mixed reviews I read online before enrolling. There weren't many other options though for me to pursue a degree in the area I was most interested in (Software Engineering) remotely so I ultimately decided to take the leap, crossing my fingers and hoping that the negative reviews were people exaggerating their experiences.

There were a couple of things I liked about the program. Firstly, I was able to get enrolled and take all of my courses online, and read most of the course materials using my Android tablet, which for me was huge. I loved that I could sit comfortably on my couch with a lightweight device, study, and take quizzes with minimal distractions. Secondly, I was able to study at my own pace. This was something else that sold me on this program. They told me that I could study at my own pace and theoretically earn my degree much faster than I would have been able to elsewhere. I estimated I would be able to finish in about three years, instead of the typical four, and not only have my degree in hand in 3/4 of the amount of time but also with 3/4 of the amount of financial aid debt.

During my first semester, I completed four classes, earned two professional IT certifications, and got about halfway through my fifth class. I decided to take the next few months off to relocate and look for a new job. This is when the issues start to arise. About four months after completing my first semester I contacted the admissions department and let them know I wanted to continue taking classes. They said "no problem" and I was quickly assigned a re-enrollment date, and was on track to start up again two months later. I continued applying to, and interviewing for jobs, and had just enough cash to cover my rent until I was scheduled to receive my (second) financial aid check. This is when the nightmare began.

I contacted them about a week before my official re-enrollment date to make sure everything was on-track and ensure that I was set to begin my next set of classes. They then informed me that they never got me re-enrolled, wouldn't be able to start on the date they provided months earlier, and needed to wait another several months until the next enrollment to begin. This completely screwed up my life, leaving me unable to pay my rent for the following six months, while I continued looking for work, and I was basically left with a "sorry we screwed up but there's nothing we can do" excuse from them.

So, I warn anyone considering attending WGU to proceed with extreme caution. There were numerous things they could have done to prevent or rectify the situation but I didn't feel that they even cared to. They should have.... got my enrollment right in the first place and I wouldn't have lost the roof over my head. They should have.... contacted me the minute they knew there was an issue and said "We know that we enrolled you on this date but there's been a problem; however, here's what we can do to fix the problem quickly." They should have.... been able to re-enroll me to start the next month (considering these classes are all study at your own pace) so that I would have received my financial aid, be able to pay my rent (late is better than never), and so I could have continued my coursework.

They did none of these things or even attempted to provide a sincere apology, letting me realize that they really didn't care about my education, but just wanted the money they received from me being a student there. Which keep in mind, was roughly TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, for taking all of four classes in six months. Thankfully, I only have to pay back about half of that because the other half I received via a Pel Grant, but I'm now left without a degree, was left without a roof over my head, and ten grand in debt, INSTEAD OF earning a Bachelors of Science in Software Engineering in three years, and a better chance at finding a high-paying job. They dropped the ball catastrophically, left me with a $10k financial aid debt, and didn't care in the least.

Lastly, unless you desperately want a job that requires a degree (like becoming a teacher or doctor) I would highly reconsider attending colleges or universities in the first place. In my case, at the time I really needed the money from the financial aid because I had been out of work for a while and thought WGU would give me a better shot at securing higher-paying jobs in a field I enjoy, not to mention at least allow me to pay my rent (at a bare minimum) while I continued applying to new jobs. I'm sure many people have been in similar situations and now see after going through it how you're basically screwed if any one of a hundred things goes wrong and the college or university will not have your back, no matter how sincere they appear when they want you to enroll.

My argument for not attending in the first place is based not only on the level of complete incompetence at these colleges and accredited universities but based on the fact that you can study many of these professions at your public library (or online) for no money, not go in debt $10, let alone $10,000, and spend more time actually learning things that you'll use in your jobs, instead of studying basically irrelevant coursework like US Government and The Constitution, Geography, Project Management, Algebra, etc. when you're trying to pursue a career in SOFTWARE ENGINEERING.

Can project management come into play later in your career, maybe, but Geography and Government classes likely won't, and not only are you paying a pretty penny to take them, but you're also spending weeks on end learning about things that have next-to-no bearing on the professional skills you'll need in entry to mid-level jobs in the profession of your choice.

Nearly everyone should have taken enough Government, Science, and Math classes in high school to get by in life, and when you're required to take over half of your courses in more of them, spend half your tuition on taking them, I argue that there are better and easier paths to take to get where you want in life than these ** online universities. Think earning professional certifications (on your own), buying books and thoroughly learning the skills you need for your profession, and accepting internships or entry-level jobs that can provide you with hands-on professional experience in your field, not to mention references that can help you get better jobs.

I say all of this after trying to go to college three times. I left the previous two times because working and paying my bills was a higher priority than earning a silly piece of paper (that just says I kinda know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject). And that is all that a degree says, don't get it twisted. Many college students spend a large percentage of their time partying, a large percent taking classes that have next-to-nothing to do with the careers they're pursuing, and graduate with about a year (out of the four, when it comes to Bachelor's degrees) of actual, relevant coursework in the areas that they "specialize" in.

Imho, going forty grand in debt, or more at more prestigious universities, for a year's worth of additional experience, actually places you FAR BEHIND professionals who have been out working and studying 24/7 for four years in just the areas they need, and none they don't (like Geography or US Government). Don't get me wrong, the Geography class I was taking was interesting, but there wasn't one thing I learned that I felt like I was actually going to use any time soon, in my personal life or in any job I worked.

I hope I've cleared up my legitimate reasoning for leaving a negative rating and review. I simply don't see the real value in the service they provide, especially considering you typically would get out of college, maybe earn a few dollars more an hour than you would otherwise, and almost always be far behind people who didn't even attend college, not to mention $40k - $200k in debt.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I don't think that the evaluators even read the requirements under the competency in our task review. I thoroughly followed all requirements from there yet I've been having issues with the assignments being sent back lately. They seem to have a different requirement than what the students see. I don't think they even cared to look at the assignments since they tend to kick it back with simple reasons (such as not being able to open the document....really?!). We pay to have lazy people who can't even open a document?? What kind of college is this? Then, they kicked it back because they claimed that something was missing from the document when it was clearly there (I had professors and an evaluation coordinator check). This is a waste of time and money. I would not continue with this type of unprofessional, lazy, neglectful type of college.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

They treat their students like garbage. Proctors don't speak English and can harass and insult students with no consequences. Mentors are there to waste your time. WGU rushed you but doesn't follow their own timelines but will rush you. They treat their students with no respect. 0/10 do I recommend.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

If I could go back in time I would. I would not choose to go to WGU. It may be the cheapest option but it comes at a price. You sacrifice quality. The classes are 100 percent independent study. There is not much interaction with professors or classmates. The resources they provide can be found on the internet. There is little to no original content in their courses. You pass classes by writing papers or taking tests. However, there is little support to accomplish this. There is a rubric and if you don’t pass they send it back for a revision. They aren’t “allowed” to show you examples of what they are looking for. Sometimes it can be a fun guessing game. Also, if you get sick or have a disability and don’t complete a class it will show up on your transcript as “not passed”. Even if you never started the class. At a normal college you could go part-time, take a lighter load, or withdraw from the class. Not here! Pay a little more to go to a better school. I wish I did.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

If I could rate zero then I would. This place is awful. Avoid at all costs. The instruction is a joke. Essays or tests are required at WGU. I sent two papers in for review. The second one which was harder was approved and the first one was kicked back….Then the second one was kicked back because the first one was kicked back. Some shady ** goes on there. A degree in a year, WGU?! Come on. I worked with someone who had a degree from WGU. She graduated early and settled into a position that she couldn’t do. She had no idea how to perform her duties. It was awful and that place is definitely going under. You can get a better education and better prepared anywhere else. Use your money elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

WGU has been the best choice I have made for my Bachelor's and Master's degree. The Mentors and course instructors are better than any on-site instructors I have had exposure to at other institutions. I only would say their financial aid department can be better. It takes them 3-4 months to get financial aid award letter despite submitting everything on time. They do NOT understand that the award letter is essential to make financial decisions for the student and was not helpful when I reached out.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

First, I'd like to say that I have an AA, that includes English Comp 1 and Eng Comp 2 with Technical Topics. My enrollment counselor was good and got the hint that I wasn't interested in being on the phone for excessive amounts of time. I was finally "cleared to enroll" and that's when all of the WGU-specific hoops appeared. You must complete an orientation course, that includes a written work to be submitted at the end of the course.

Granted, it was in the format of "question and then answer in complete sentences", but the last thing I want to do is write, for no credit at all. Finished orientation, now I wait for classes to start....or so I thought. Nope, another time-consuming nonsense task: meet with a "mentor", which consists of a phone conversation that is 30 minutes long. You must do this in order to enroll in any classes and for the duration of your first term, you must correspond with this individual via email or by phone, on a weekly basis.

That's just what the adult-learner needs: another task that is a complete waste of time and energy. Financial services sent me an award letter on the 6th, then sent me an email on the 20th, stating that I had required tasks to complete. The term at WGU starts on the 1st of the month. So, I look into it and see a correspondence that essentially says "Another institution is requesting student loans, so we can't request those loans. You have to contact the institution and tell them to cancel their request." I have been told that WGU can't process my student loans until the other institution cancels their request. I have attended several institutions and haven't ever run into this type of problem.

So, I've developed a theory: WGU is either unable or unwilling to reconcile student accounts until the actual funds are in their account. I have received a financial aid refund from a college, and then had the funds revoked and I've had to pay back the college. The college essentially extended me credit and when the loan wasn't funded, I owed that debt to the college. I really REALLY wanted to put the pedal to the metal and bang out my ** in a year, but there has been too much doubt sown. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I've seen a number of other reviews about this school. Many of them depend on the individual and their ability to navigate a course or ask for help or follow the links within the course to more elaborate parts. My issue has been this, and by the way I will not hire anyone with a WGU degree if I see one. My issue is the poor construction of the courses. In my very first course I had to make, I believe 9 revisions over ONE sentence. It's the reason why, that is concerning and one of the reasons I won't accept a WGU degree from a potential employee. The reason I had to make so many revisions is because THEIR answer was incorrect. The worst part is that their incorrect answer hadn't even been provided in the text. There was no way to get it right.

The second thing I hate about WGU, is that it doesn't test your knowledge in a number of cases, the tasks you have to complete have NOTHING or little to do with the actual curriculum!! How can I trust a degree from there, when people are passing courses via tasks that have nothing to do with the real knowledge they should have about the subject matter. So, while I still go there, it's a NO for me. Hard pass. I hate this school and their courses. I recently was about to take an exam and I took a mini practice quiz to get ready, and the quiz tested me on things the section never covered. Typical WGU in my experience. So don't frustrate yourself by going.

Western Governors University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

Western Governors University Company Information