3.1/5 (96 ratings)

About Western Governors University

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: July 24, 2022

I had been out of school for 20 years and suddenly found myself in need of a degree in Accounting. WGU is a school for grown ups. No one is going to hold your hand or read the book to you. You will probably have to research outside sources as well, just like you did in high school. I do recommend reading through the course chatter and course resource documents. In the course chatter a lot of students who passed the class would cite what resources helped them the most. I earned a degree in 18 months. It was not an easy 18 months but I did it.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I am halfway through my program and over the course of time have had nothing but problems from WGU, their mentor manager, and a majority of their instructors. I don't know what qualifications WGU is using these days to hire and staff, but the quality of people that they're slotting couldn't be hired at a daycare as far as I'm concerned. The biggest problem with WGU management is that they just give the ball to the instructors and let them run with it. There are no standards that need to be followed - so you can have a great instructor for one class who understands the importance of providing resources and placing them in the correct location then you have others who haphazardly create messes and overlap this information all over the place.

The terrible instructors are the ones who send you generic, auto-filled responses. If that is going to be the case, then they need to program software to respond and manage the class and FIRE the instructors who don't feel that engaging with the student is the correct way to do things. I read the feedback about their proctors and scheduling exams - yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Half the time the proctors are LATE and by the time they read their scripts you are 45-60 minutes past your testing time because of the 3rd world country's Examity managers and their lack of interest in being on time for the exam. Which brings me to another curious question: if they are using a 3rd world country to proctor the exams why isn't there more testing availability in terms of time of day or day of the week? I mean, wasn't that the goal of WGU to save money and plug in proctors into testing times?

And I cannot help but wonder: why aren't WGU using people who live in the United States to proctor the exams??? Here we go with the whole job outsourcing to a country who could care less about the importance of the exam, of being on time, or otherwise. And WGU never hold them accountable for being late or for not understanding the test instructions correctly. WGU seemed to be a great idea but now I'm wondering if it would be better to branch out to another school to finish my degree who will help me accomplish this without all of the Beverly Hillbilly hassles.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2022

I was apprehensive when I decided to go to WGU for my master's due to unfavorable reviews online. I can understand what others are saying because my husband had a similar experience. However, I think it depends on what you’re hoping to get out of an online school. I also believe I was lucky to get the people I had. My enrollment counselor was amazing from the start. Very informative, I could tell he knew his stuff. By the time I got my Program mentor it was a great transition. My program mentor is phenomenal. Before the term started she had sort of a webinar for those starting on how to navigate, things that needed to be completed before you could start the courses, and answered any questions.

The thing I really admire about my program mentor is how helpful she is on answering my concerns. For instance: I told her how I’m struggling to plan out how I’m going to study for this course I’m currently in. She gave me valuable tips that has helped me in this course. My program mentor also celebrates my wins when I received an award for my first paper. She sent me a text to congratulate me. I really appreciated that. The instructors are amazing.

Whenever I’m starting out in a course, I always contact the instructor by email introducing myself and letting them some of my concerns and asking if there are any tips or suggestions to survive. The recorded cohorts that the professor do are important. They tell you more information than what is in the rubric. One of the instructors shared the rubric is purposely created with minimal details to pass. This is due to test if the students are in those lectures/cohorts - you don’t have to attend, but you can watch in your own time, that’s what I do. That’s my go to before starting the course is listening to recorded cohorts from the professors.

In regards to proctors, yes they are outsourced and the thing is we need to understand that our way of communicating/understanding is very different from others who either can speak very little to no English. While they may seem rude, it’s likely unintentional. I grew up with parents where English is their second language. When someone is speaking or trying to communicate in a second language there’s a lot going on in their mind to ensure they get their words out in hopes the person can understand what they’re saying. With that being said, I think we need to be more reasonable when it comes to people who are proctoring the exams.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Literally as soon as I typed my phone number I get a call. The person from WGU tells me they don't know anything, but will connect me to someone who does. They put me on hold for about ten minutes and tell me no one is available. They say what is the best way to reach me. I say, "Alright, how about I ask you a question and the counselor emails me a response." In a panicked voice the person says loudly "I don't know anything". I say, "I know. That's fine, just write down the question and have the counselor get back to me." They panic more, and ramble on how they don't have any answers. I don't get a good feeling about this place.

Original review: May 24, 2022

I've sent them everything they needed to enroll into a Masters Program. My enrollment counselor asked me 3 times for the information. On the 3rd time, after I gave it to you I asked here where the communication fail was. She got mad and transferred me to another councilors. I submitted my transcripts 3 times and they claim they never got them. I asked where could I file a complaint and I was told there was nobody I could do that with.

Original review: March 31, 2022

This school is horrible. It looks great in the beginning but it's honestly just a scam to waste your time and money. The program is competency based so if you're a bad test taker or have anxiety, then it's not for you. They also don't care about what happens in your life. You could be going through medical issues, physical issues, mental issues, anything really and they don't care. It has to happen at the right time for them to care. Mentors are useless. The exams are proctors which isn't so bad but the proctors are outsourced, don't speak English, are super rude and distracting. I honestly wasted so much time and money with WGU and now I'm finally transferring. I feel so relieved.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I just completed my degree at WGU and am planning on attending graduate school at a different institution. My program mentor during the last term was the first person I thought of to reach out to for an academic recommendation. I was told no because we had only spoken to one another online. Yet, WGU is a completely virtual platform. If you're looking to continue your education beyond WGU, be mindful that you may or may not receive any letters of recommendation you might need for other institutions.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was reluctant to attend WGU after the number of mixed reviews I read online before enrolling. There weren't many other options though for me to pursue a degree in the area I was most interested in (Software Engineering) remotely so I ultimately decided to take the leap, crossing my fingers and hoping that the negative reviews were people exaggerating their experiences.

There were a couple of things I liked about the program. Firstly, I was able to get enrolled and take all of my courses online, and read most of the course materials using my Android tablet, which for me was huge. I loved that I could sit comfortably on my couch with a lightweight device, study, and take quizzes with minimal distractions. Secondly, I was able to study at my own pace. This was something else that sold me on this program. They told me that I could study at my own pace and theoretically earn my degree much faster than I would have been able to elsewhere. I estimated I would be able to finish in about three years, instead of the typical four, and not only have my degree in hand in 3/4 of the amount of time but also with 3/4 of the amount of financial aid debt.

During my first semester, I completed four classes, earned two professional IT certifications, and got about halfway through my fifth class. I decided to take the next few months off to relocate and look for a new job. This is when the issues start to arise. About four months after completing my first semester I contacted the admissions department and let them know I wanted to continue taking classes. They said "no problem" and I was quickly assigned a re-enrollment date, and was on track to start up again two months later. I continued applying to, and interviewing for jobs, and had just enough cash to cover my rent until I was scheduled to receive my (second) financial aid check. This is when the nightmare began.

I contacted them about a week before my official re-enrollment date to make sure everything was on-track and ensure that I was set to begin my next set of classes. They then informed me that they never got me re-enrolled, wouldn't be able to start on the date they provided months earlier, and needed to wait another several months until the next enrollment to begin. This completely screwed up my life, leaving me unable to pay my rent for the following six months, while I continued looking for work, and I was basically left with a "sorry we screwed up but there's nothing we can do" excuse from them.

So, I warn anyone considering attending WGU to proceed with extreme caution. There were numerous things they could have done to prevent or rectify the situation but I didn't feel that they even cared to. They should have.... got my enrollment right in the first place and I wouldn't have lost the roof over my head. They should have.... contacted me the minute they knew there was an issue and said "We know that we enrolled you on this date but there's been a problem; however, here's what we can do to fix the problem quickly." They should have.... been able to re-enroll me to start the next month (considering these classes are all study at your own pace) so that I would have received my financial aid, be able to pay my rent (late is better than never), and so I could have continued my coursework.

They did none of these things or even attempted to provide a sincere apology, letting me realize that they really didn't care about my education, but just wanted the money they received from me being a student there. Which keep in mind, was roughly TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS, for taking all of four classes in six months. Thankfully, I only have to pay back about half of that because the other half I received via a Pel Grant, but I'm now left without a degree, was left without a roof over my head, and ten grand in debt, INSTEAD OF earning a Bachelors of Science in Software Engineering in three years, and a better chance at finding a high-paying job. They dropped the ball catastrophically, left me with a $10k financial aid debt, and didn't care in the least.

Lastly, unless you desperately want a job that requires a degree (like becoming a teacher or doctor) I would highly reconsider attending colleges or universities in the first place. In my case, at the time I really needed the money from the financial aid because I had been out of work for a while and thought WGU would give me a better shot at securing higher-paying jobs in a field I enjoy, not to mention at least allow me to pay my rent (at a bare minimum) while I continued applying to new jobs. I'm sure many people have been in similar situations and now see after going through it how you're basically screwed if any one of a hundred things goes wrong and the college or university will not have your back, no matter how sincere they appear when they want you to enroll.

My argument for not attending in the first place is based not only on the level of complete incompetence at these colleges and accredited universities but based on the fact that you can study many of these professions at your public library (or online) for no money, not go in debt $10, let alone $10,000, and spend more time actually learning things that you'll use in your jobs, instead of studying basically irrelevant coursework like US Government and The Constitution, Geography, Project Management, Algebra, etc. when you're trying to pursue a career in SOFTWARE ENGINEERING.

Can project management come into play later in your career, maybe, but Geography and Government classes likely won't, and not only are you paying a pretty penny to take them, but you're also spending weeks on end learning about things that have next-to-no bearing on the professional skills you'll need in entry to mid-level jobs in the profession of your choice.

Nearly everyone should have taken enough Government, Science, and Math classes in high school to get by in life, and when you're required to take over half of your courses in more of them, spend half your tuition on taking them, I argue that there are better and easier paths to take to get where you want in life than these ** online universities. Think earning professional certifications (on your own), buying books and thoroughly learning the skills you need for your profession, and accepting internships or entry-level jobs that can provide you with hands-on professional experience in your field, not to mention references that can help you get better jobs.

I say all of this after trying to go to college three times. I left the previous two times because working and paying my bills was a higher priority than earning a silly piece of paper (that just says I kinda know what I'm talking about when it comes to this subject). And that is all that a degree says, don't get it twisted. Many college students spend a large percentage of their time partying, a large percent taking classes that have next-to-nothing to do with the careers they're pursuing, and graduate with about a year (out of the four, when it comes to Bachelor's degrees) of actual, relevant coursework in the areas that they "specialize" in.

Imho, going forty grand in debt, or more at more prestigious universities, for a year's worth of additional experience, actually places you FAR BEHIND professionals who have been out working and studying 24/7 for four years in just the areas they need, and none they don't (like Geography or US Government). Don't get me wrong, the Geography class I was taking was interesting, but there wasn't one thing I learned that I felt like I was actually going to use any time soon, in my personal life or in any job I worked.

I hope I've cleared up my legitimate reasoning for leaving a negative rating and review. I simply don't see the real value in the service they provide, especially considering you typically would get out of college, maybe earn a few dollars more an hour than you would otherwise, and almost always be far behind people who didn't even attend college, not to mention $40k - $200k in debt.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I don't think that the evaluators even read the requirements under the competency in our task review. I thoroughly followed all requirements from there yet I've been having issues with the assignments being sent back lately. They seem to have a different requirement than what the students see. I don't think they even cared to look at the assignments since they tend to kick it back with simple reasons (such as not being able to open the document....really?!). We pay to have lazy people who can't even open a document?? What kind of college is this? Then, they kicked it back because they claimed that something was missing from the document when it was clearly there (I had professors and an evaluation coordinator check). This is a waste of time and money. I would not continue with this type of unprofessional, lazy, neglectful type of college.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

They treat their students like garbage. Proctors don't speak English and can harass and insult students with no consequences. Mentors are there to waste your time. WGU rushed you but doesn't follow their own timelines but will rush you. They treat their students with no respect. 0/10 do I recommend.

Western Governors University author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

Western Governors University Company Information