Western Governors University

Compare Online Nursing Programs

Research top Online Nursing Programs recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

It was really easy to enroll. Customer service is amazing. They did most of the work for me and told me all the information that I would need to provide. Each day I was getting information the people were there to help me through it all! My teachers are always responsive when I'm needing help and they provide useful feedback. The online platform makes it really easy to keep up with my classes work and any test I may need to do. It's also very easy to keep up with grades and other important information. This program has helped me achieve my dream goals and I'm still going.

I like having the flexibility to do my coursework whenever I happen to have the time. I am not constrained to a specific class time, which allows me the time to work full time if I choose to do so, which is really nice for me. However, it is incredibly difficult to take a class online. There is not a lot of teacher/student interaction, so self discipline is a huge requirement for me to complete my assignments on time and retain understanding of the material. But it was pretty easy for me to engage in the online platform. All that is required is to sign up then check your computer settings to make sure you have the right connectivity on your computer, and you are set. The courses have been helpful for me because I am not a visual learner - I do not require seeing the lesson in order to learn it.

I like the compassion of the program. The courses are very well in depth and cover all I need to know to achieve my goals. The courses are full of knowledge that I can complete and help is needed if I need it. This is a great school. It is easy to enroll and I can tell that they really care about me as a person and not just another student. I can take my studies and be respected at any institution also.

Pleasant and educational. I like the freedom to work at my own pace most of the time. The site is easy to learn and use and the features are very accessible. It is a great program for someone that has limited experience using the web for services such as schooling. It's fairly easy to engage in the online platform but I wish they would have went over ways such as how to access and utilize some of the services offered before the course actually started. And at times it almost seems like you get lost in the group and some one on one attention would not only be nice but helpful as well.

Online and flexible schedule makes it more manageable. Allows me to have a balance to between school, work and family. Having this balance makes it more possible for me to accomplish the goal. I have had no issues engaging in the online platform. The courses have been helpful and some of my learnings can be applied immediately. The only hiccup I have encountered is when I am studying late nights and my Internet Service Provider has a scheduled maintenance where the services are not available. Also, having to sit in front of a camera makes me feel as if I am being watched all the time. It is like a boss looking over my shoulder and I don't like to be micro managed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

I can work at my pace and in my free time. I can still work a part-time job. It is easy to learn and communicate with the instructors and to access the course materials. It's easier to enroll and pick courses but I feel some of the courses are pointless but yes some are very beneficial and I've learned a lot. I don't have to worry about the course sizes because it is all online and at my own pace. What I don't like is it is more expensive than an on campus program and you have to have the extra expense of a computer and internet access. Have to rely on the instructors to respond via email if I want a response.

All online so it fits into my schedule and can be done at any time. I am busy with abnormal hours so I need control. Also I like that it can be done anywhere because I travel a lot. Easy to figure out and works to be simple. Staff understands that its students are different. It is good for the people who need it but if you want hands on then this is not for you but maybe would be nice. Sometimes material is confusing and in person to talk through could be helpful.

I love this college. Everything is quick and easy program. I applied online and I filled out an application, then I had to wait until I got an email back. I love that I can take classes from home and still fit them in my busy schedule and my hectic life.

Enrollment was very easy. They are extremely knowledgeable and efficient at getting financing and helping you schedule your classes. It took almost no time at all for me to be enrolled and be able to start classes. I like the one on one attention from the teachers and the online video chat. I never had to worry if I had a question or needed instruction. Grades were fast and I always knew my GPA. I did not have any issues with this school. They were very easy to deal with and the classes ran smoothly. They were always there to help me when I needed them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.
  • Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).
  • Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.
  • Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.
  • Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.
  • Best for students looking for an affordable online nursing program.

Compare Online Nursing Programs