Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.44/5

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I attended WGU’s Business Management and Leadership graduate program- so I cannot speak to other programs. This is one of the best online schools I’ve attended (and I have tried out a few of them). You can schedule times to talk to your professors (they call you- I don’t know any other online university that does this), there are study groups led by instructors, virtual classes to attend, a tutoring center, class forums, and your mentor if you need help. I will say there is a lot of personal responsibility and accountability that goes into this. And it is a lot of hard work. But the professors in the business school have the credentials and experience to teach. They are all professional and extremely helpful, and I used them more than my mentor.

My last few classes in the program I must have talked to a professor 2-3 times a week! I think I failed one assessment and the instructor called me to see if I needed to talk about the issues I had and to encourage me to take it again. And let’s talk about price— this is place is a steal at $25,0000. Please remember you’re getting a degree- they’re not cheap and master programs are even more expensive. I started a business graduate program at another online school - price tag: $50,000. I did one class and left. They assigned tons of homework with zero interaction or assistance from the instructor. I’m pretty sure they didn’t even read my ten page paper. No handouts, no videos, no lecture— if I wanted to contact them, it was email. So good luck with that.

Is there anything I didn’t like?? Yep. The mentors. I get why they have them at the school. But I am extremely self-motivated and independent. I didn’t get much out of mentor phone calls - that turned to text messages. She didn’t remember our previous conversations and I found her to be rude and condescending at times. I felt like she was overworked, too many students, and had a cardboard answer to everything (it’s why her responses to some of my issues were condescending and didn’t apply). I’m glad people loved their mentors and having them was helpful. But for a person who’s already goal setting and focused, she was a more a hindrance than help.

I also had some issues navigating their student assistance sites and classrooms. The set ups and finding stuff can be a bit confusing. Each class is set up slightly different, so you have to peruse everything or you can easily miss something (guilty!). I have recommended this place at least a dozen times. And will continue to do so. I’ve never been so happy with an online school. I wish they had more degree options, because I would certainly go back.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I did both my undergrad, and am working on my Master's with WGU-both in education. They are an AMAZING university. They will not hold your hand, you are held accountable, and it is completely flexible. You need to have a strong motivation, and ability to hold yourself to a study schedule. It is not easy at all. That being said, my mentors are and have been very helpful! As a non-traditional student, I would have otherwise not been able to achieve what I have without their online platform, support, flexibility. I recommend this University to any adult student who is looking to gain knowledge, and personal experience on top of their degree, and who have the grit to get it. Hope this helps someone else who (like myself in the past) are on the fence about pursuing a degree with WGU.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I started attending WGU in 2015 after hearing a radio commercial advertising degrees in education. I was 22 and just had a baby. I had to move back home and I thought there was no way I could go back to classes at my community college. I didn’t have money to pay for daycare/babysitter. I thought it would take me years to get a degree. I called WGU and was told to send over my transcript so they could see what courses could transfer. After checking, they said it would take me 3.5 years to graduate with my bachelors. I was taken aback. I really didn’t want it to take that long. They assured me that the degree is self-paced (until student teaching) and I could finish sooner if I worked through classes faster. I signed up that day. I graduated in 3 years. I wish it was sooner but it is because I ended procrastinating more than I hoped (my fault) but I did it faster than they anticipated!

The best thing about WGU is for sure the staff. I had a mentor who called me every week at the same time on the same day like clockwork throughout my whole 3 years. She was amazing and always in good spirits! Her name was Jess. She answered every question I ever had, gave me tips, told me exactly what to expect on my current and upcoming courses (difficulty, how long the average student takes to complete, the requirements, etc). She also made sure I was held accountable for my work. They say online classes are the hardest because you have to stay focused on your own.

With my mentor, I was always reminded of what I needed to do (“I see you haven’t logged into your class in a week, are things going okay?”) She was also very understanding with me and let me vent when I went through a period of depression. I loved working with her. Also, the teachers on the courses are a lifesaver. Every time I started a new class, I would ALWAYS make sure to contact the teachers and get their tips and tricks for completing the course. Some classes are finished with a test or an essay. You have 2 or 3 tries to pass a test that you take over a webcam, and you have as many attempts as you need on your essays. Essays are 100% easier to complete when you have talked to the teachers to find out EXACTLY what they need/want.

I learned a lot. I actually loved my core class requirements like the science course and history course. I learned things I never thought I would know. I also learned how to write lesson plans, manage classrooms, ethics in teaching, etc. The hardest part about the course was the 60 hours of in class observations required. Luckily I was able to go to a school every week for a couple of hours to observe. THIS was how you really learned how to teach. Challenging to get it done, but it’s definitely needed. My student teaching was set up easily in the district I preferred near me. I also had an amazing WGU evaluator come to rate/grade me in person 6 times. She was so helpful and I could tell she wanted me to succeed.

After graduating and student teaching, I passed all my state exams, got my state teaching license, and was offered a job at the school I student taught at. I was also able to attend an in person graduation ceremony in Austin, which was nice and unexpected. I have been at my student teaching school ever since, I teach 5th grade and love it. I just bought a house and can now provide for my family. I couldn’t have done it without WGU and their amazing staff. Did I mention the price is right? Also, my government awarded Pell Grants paid for my tuition. But without the grants, the tuition was very reasonable. I recommend anyone to WGU. And I’m thinking about going back for my masters. I wouldn’t trust any other online learning platform.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I graduated from WGU in 2013 with a Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management. I have a bachelor’s degree in accounting from another not-for-profit brick and mortar college. The MBA program at WGU was intense and I am a certified public accountant so I know a great deal about intensity. I was employed full time while enrolled at WGU; however, the courses were all online so they did not interfere with my busy schedule. I learned so much at WGU and I will forever be grateful for the opportunities that my degree has opened up for me. WGU has helped me become more knowledgeable and assisted me in achieving my professional goals. I greatly value my time at WGU and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to obtain an affordable education.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I went to log in to my student portal and this was the first site that appeared in my search. So... I read through a few of the comments and some seemed pretty unfortunate, so I'll share my story and maybe someone can relate. This university is the best thing that has happened to me. I attended three universities before WGU, and one being a community college where I graduated with an Associates in Business. I had three semesters I needed to finish and this is the only university that accepted all my CRAZY transfer credits and put me on track to where I needed to be. If you have ever transferred schools, you may know some of your paid credits get thrown out the window.

Anyway, I applied to a large university in my hometown and they said I needed at least two years to complete general courses I never took (courses only their university required). My Uncle had just recently graduated with his Masters from WGU, so I checked it out. Applied (WGU offers FREE applications), and got accepted. A counselor called me, explained the entire process of how WGU works and asked any questions I had. I had a mentor call me every week my first semester to help keep me on track, which is awesome because it was hard to change and put myself in charge of my own success.

At WGU you have to put in the work on your own, there's no syllabus, scheduled quizzes or tests, it's all personal choice of when and how you get the courses completed. Mentors are there to help give you tips of surviving each class, seriously, they're great. I also got a scholarship the first semester that is good for the three semesters I'll be attending. Also, I have been able to accelerate my courses to where my last semester I will be a part time student with only two courses left.

WGU has given me an affordable and empowering (in a way) option to finish my degree. I've traveled a lot more and have had a ton of freedom compared to other students. The degree is a piece of paper you've earned, and it will look the same as any others in an interview. And about the credibility issue, I pretty sure the government (FASFA) wouldn't give me any money (loans) if it weren't a non-accredited school. That's not really how it works.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have been attending for a couple years now. My work and home lives kept me very busy for long periods of time, with opportunities to study coming in 1-2 month bursts, where I would knock out large chunks of content at a time. The hook that a gloried recruiter got me with was 'school at your own pace'. They did not mention that 'your own pace' meant 'we will nag you every chance we get if you don't do it in a consistent pattern.' Thankfully the first mentor I got (who was Umbridge levels of disgustingly over-sweet to the point of condescending) is no longer who I have to deal with.

The content itself is honestly easy, with little thought needing to go into it. That said, the worst part is everything is graded by rubric and 100% on said rubric is expected... meaning they will nitpick anything and everything. Other (non-classroom) departments are like this as well, with everything having to be perfect. The only one I have interacted with that wasn't a pain was the Finances department, so at least the people getting you in debt are competent. All in all it has been a fair headache, and I likely would not recommend WGU to any friends. Maybe someone I hate, but only if I get to watch them deal with the bureaucracy.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I had a bad experience with WGU. Perhaps you will have a better one, but I recommend caution before taking out the loans. First of all, the entire system is built on a shaky premise. To get federal student aid, a university can't be 100% correspondence courses. The problem is that WGU is essentially 100% correspondence courses. They have, "Instructors" in each of the courses, but the instructors don't really do anything. If you email them, they give you a copy/paste answer that makes you question if they even read your email in the first place.

Secondly, they have this weird system where you have a, "mentor." But the mentor would be more appropriately described as a "keeper" or a, "minder." All interaction with the university administration is supposed to go through the mentor. I didn't like this, it felt unreasonably controlling. I'm an adult, I should be able to communicate with the university directly. Finally, my single term was full of errors and miscommunications on behalf of WGU. I found them to be punitive when I made an error, but indifferent when they made an error. The different departments all seemed to be on different pages. You could ask 10 WGU employees the same question and get 10 different answers. This was amplified by the fact that I had to wait for my mentor to respond. Ultimately, I decided to leave WGU and enroll in a community college.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

The Texas Program is utter disgrace and should be a laughing stock. The BSN program does not need to be open for anyone. The school's organization is poor, staff and faculty offer no guidance to these students that are eager and willing to learn the content. Term 1 is a blast, because it mainly consisted of your prerequisites. My issues unfortunately came about during second term, I was struggling a lot with the HESI questions, presumably because I wasn't a nurse at all. I constantly tried to look at many avenues and still couldn't grasp the content.

Let me be brutally honest, the teachers say they want to help you, but it's kinda hard to believe. I spoke with my mentor, got no help, just useless weekly phone calls that were pointless to the matter. The professor would always give me the run around about how I needed to read the book all over again, if I wasn't getting it. The materials were all outdated and they provided no useful resources for students to grasp the content. I had to literally google helpful materials that I thought would help. I've never felt so lost in my life. FYI: If you're not an LVN or RN, please don't patronize this school. They will talk to you like you're incompetent and make you feel worthless for not knowing the material. I had many anxiety attacks just from being worried about failing the exams, and possible dismissal.

Unfortunately, the worst had happened, I was dismissed from the program. When I tried to send the mentor an email about how I felt, I was blatantly ignored. I tried complaining to the school, and they found every excuse in the rules and regulations to blame me. Another awesome part about this was that I was slapped with a 6k bill from them. Moral of the story is that they don't care about the students, this is clearly a business for them. They can care less if you pass or fail. Now I can see why the Texas program was closed in 2017, the school needs to be shut down indefinitely. It's a silly school to attend, not worth it. See link below. **

Original review: July 21, 2020

I enrolled in this school because of the flexibility. I got a veteran scholarship. My mentor Cyndee was phenomenal!!! She was very encouraging and full of positive energy. The classes was very good. I am self motivated so the set up worked for me. I just graduated and now I am going to enroll in the MBA program. This school is great for the self motivated and those who have real live experience. Don’t wait, take charge and do it!

Original review: July 8, 2020

I was struggling with some of the course content so I tried to schedule time with my assigned course instructor. The instructor arrived 25 minutes late to a 40 minute appointment. The only assistance that the instructor was willing to provide was to link me to YouTube videos. When I stated that I did not find youtube videos particularly helpful, the instructor accused me of being "disrespectful" and threatened to report me. I am not sure why I am paying nearly $4,000 per semester for an education I could essentially get for free on youtube.

Western Governors University author review by ConsumerAffairs

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team