3.39/5

33 Western Governors University Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 2, 2019

If you are just looking for a college to hand you a piece of paper that saying you did stuff then this is not the college for you. There is no extra credit, or credit for silly pop quizzes or homework. I also imagine cheating would be rather hard as tests are monitored one-on-one by an online proctor. This is not a college for lazy people looking for hand-outs. It is a regionally accredited university that offers tons of support. Most of the information on their programs is readily available on their website (very transparent). All you have to do to be successful at WGU is follow directions, read and study your course material, and utilize the additional resources provided. Communicating with your mentor (they call you once each week by a set appointment anyways) and course instructors is very helpful as well.

I didn’t need to do reach out very often because the course material was pretty clear as to the objective, but I always received a response within 24 hours. That being said, I transferred my credits from a community college and a state school that I dropped out of years ago, and they accepted 30 out of the 60 that I had completed. It was very fair because some were random courses that had nothing to do with my major at WGU. I was very dedicated to completing this program. I finished 3 yrs of traditional college work in 1.5 years while working 45-50 hrs/week job. I have always been an A/B student, but I am also dyslexic and have rheumatoid arthritis, which can take over your whole existence when you least expect it.

My point is that, bitter failed students that write nasty reviews should really look inward on their personal problems and not blame outside entities. I graduate this month with my BSBM, and I feel well prepared for starting a career in business management. I will be returning to WGU at the end of the summer to earn my MBA. I can’t offer any feedback about financial aid because I didn’t receive any. FAFSA is an independent program from the college you attend, and the application process is fairly simple. Bottom line is my application was never approved for aid because I made $14.50/hr and I was able to pay for WGU out-of-pocket each term.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Like many my age, when I was at a state university I had reached the point where I was outperforming my professors in CS/IT department. I would literally fall asleep in some of these classes. They moved so slow for me. A president of a company offered me a lot of money to run their IT operation so I left college and took the position. This move started a series of events that led to me becoming a professional and highly desired IT expert.

I got married acquired a lot of stuff, became a private pilot for use in my consultancy, promoted to CIO of a global corporation earned 6 figure income and was able to have a lot of fun. We had kids and I was doing so well, I didn't even want to go back to school. I enjoyed the accolades and rewards of prestigious certifications more than going to classes to prove I knew my stuff. However, my father always wanted me to finish my degree, when he passed away he left money for tuition and so I just enrolled and should finish by September 2019.

Over the years I've earned numerous certifications and awards. I also have taken additional college credit from other universities at night but it was always a hassle and professor egos were practically intolerable. WGU is designed for people who are more than competent and want to get a real degree without typical University fluff. In addition I've earned more certifications and updated my entire skill set. WGU isn't easy, however; it is very flexible. I'll update this after I graduate, but so far I've enjoyed the freedom and value of WGU.

Get expert buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I started WGU with an AA degree in April 2016. I work full-time and haven't been in school in a long time. I loved the self-driven format, the online tools, the e-textbooks, and the community support from other students through social media sites. I had an awesome program mentor who called me each week. I set goals, and she held me accountable. When life threw stuff at me, we would adjust my plan, but we would always stay on plan.

Three years, and I am done with my BSBM as of today! I am so excited! I will say that there are plenty of naysayers.... people who don't understand online education, people who maybe can't motivate themselves to turn off their lives and just open up their coursework and power through. It isn't for everybody, but it was awesome for me. I am pinching myself! I know my dad doesn't see this as a real degree because it's online, but he's old and just didn't even research it like I did. But now I am a graduate and I can update my resume and perhaps advance my career. I now have the education I had been missing for most of my career and I have WGU to thank. If you are on the fence, I say: give it a try!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

WGU is a regionally accredited university. I have just started and have my first certification test scheduled with a voucher from WGU. I came to them with an A.A.S. degree in Information Systems from a regionally accredited technical school. I also have one certification already. WGU gave me credit for all of it and therefore I'm starting at a Junior level.

It is self-paced. It is not intended for someone who has never done online learning before. They also don't want to admit someone that might not be motivated to finish what they start. Your first six months, you will talk to a mentor every week. Their job is to keep you motivated by having you make commitments and then holding you to them. They, however, are not going to hold your hand and spoon feed everything to you.

If you study and learn the material that they provide, you will pass. You may find that you may need to go online to other sources to gain a better understanding of the material. This is no different than you will find at brick and mortar schools though. Prior to my deciding to go with WGU, I spoke to a few people in the IT field about attending some of the local colleges to get my Bachelor's Degree in IT. There was a lot of hesitancy to recommend any of them. I asked about WGU and received much more enthusiasm. If you put forth the effort, you can save a lot of money and walk away with your degree and a bunch of certifications proving that you know your stuff. I am only giving it 4 stars because I am just starting and this provides the opportunity to go up or down between now and degree.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

First, ComsumerAffairs has this school listed as not accredited at the time of this writing, and this is not entirely true. For WGU- Washington, this school is accredited by the Northwest Commission College and Universities (NWCCU) which is the same organization that accredits the same local public universities in this region. If you go to the U.S. Department of Education's website, and do some research, you'll see that WGU-Washington is officially recognized. Despite being accredited, I was a little skeptical about enrolling into a online public university. After getting my associates from a public community college, I decided to enroll into this school mostly for the program (Computer Science) and the low cost (about $3,500 per 6 month term as of this writing).

One of the things I love about this school is that you study at your own pace: fast, slow. If you have obligations such as family, or your job, then you're able to work a little slower than the typical student, and schedule Objective Assessments whenever you want. (Objective Assessments are final exams that are proctor through a webcam.) However, since I'm only working part time and don't have any kids, I'm able to progress a little faster. IMPORTANT NOTE - The courses are not any easier than the courses found at public colleges. In fact, they have the same courses and use the same textbooks found at some university. I would only recommend attending WGU if you have prior experience at a 2, or 4 year public college.

In terms of my specific degree program, Computer Science, I have no complaints about it; the courses are relevant as you will study Discrete Mathematics, Algorithms, Data Structure, Java, C#, SQL, etc, and others if you're not transferring in. However, I want to talk about the mentors (instructors). Most of them are well educated, and experience; WGU mentors have at least a master's degree, and they are almost always available to assist you with either a scheduled 15, 30, or 45 minute appointment. Well, I could go on, but I'll just end it here, and whichever school you decide to attend, good luck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: June 24, 2019

I was a little hesitant coming to a school with a 16% retention rate. I should have chosen one of those for profit schools, at least they would have been more organized and wouldnt try to sit on my financial aid for months. I got at least 10 different dates of when my residual check would be there. All of them came and went after the school paid itself and I'm still waiting. This will be my only semester here, hopefully I never hear their name again. I guess that 16% retention rate is deserved. RUN, RUN, RUN.

Original review: June 23, 2019

I like WGU and the RN to BSN online program. Now, some classes I find to be kind of useless but I think that is with every BSN program. The program mentors are always checking up on you which gives you a sense of comfort. I like having someone there if I need anything since all of my classes are online. The competency based classes are great. Once you pass, you pass and you're done and move on. The only real complaint I have is the turn-around time on Taskstream. It takes a ridiculously long time to get your results on papers and projects. For nurses, a lot of us work 12 hour shifts. So, by the end of our days off we finally submit our work, only to find that we did not pass two days later. We are busy working then so we don't have time to correct it. I think the Taskstream turnaround time is the worst part of the entire program. Other than that, so far so good.

Original review: April 24, 2019

The online format is disjunct and not easy to follow. The instructors will refer you back to the online formated material to answers questions. Often the information is buried in multiple layers of jargon of nonessential words and many hours wasted trying to find simple solutions to issues. The whole program is sloppy, minimally educational, and if you are an experienced nurse a big waste of time and cash.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I just received my BS in Business Management from WGU Texas. It was a good experience. Some of the classes were easy and some were pretty difficult. It took me an extra semester to finish because I lost focus and slacked off, but if you are dedicated to finishing a degree then WGU gives you all the tools you need to succeed. It's also the most affordable online college I've ever seen. I'm going to enroll in the masters in management program in a few months. My goal is to finish it in 1 year. In response to the other negative reviews: Don't blame the college because you weren't smart enough to put in the work to succeed.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have a BA and an MS degree from private schools in my state. I applied to WGU. Kind of as a test to see what they would do with my situation as compared to how they'd treat a friend of mine trying to get in who only has an AA. First off, they avoid you if you ask about a grading system. There are no real professors of merit, and it is all about getting money from you. They will tell you to go get financial aid and then charge you college prices for a high school re-education, let you breeze through easy topics until you "pass," and eventually call it a "degree."

Never felt so strange when asking about grades. This is not a school to go to if you are a scholar interested in furthering your education. They really had no interest in inviting me to attend after I sent them all of my detailed transcripts from brick and mortar universities. My friend, who was my test buddy, got the opposite treatment, they took her AA, cut off most of what she had done at a community college and then invited her in with welcome wagons and grants. They gave her financial aid and she is in and taking what appear to be high school classes. She never had good grades, and so the pass/fail idea was gold to her, as she was gold to them. They wanted her money and they got it. Pass or Fail is for children, not adults. They seem to me to prey on the less educated and actually will avoid you if you are already educated. Seems strange to me.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Solid University, truly. The quality of the education for the price is reminiscent of a good level state school, at a substantial discount from that. The professors and support staff, they rock. Now for the Financial Aid: (crafted after reading several reviews, and interacting with them first hand) Absolute garbage. The individuals are unqualified, rude, they administer information that is factually wrong, and they may even be afoul of the regulations. The school itself comes off as a good level state school, Financial Aid comes off like a very low-level rural community college's staff.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Finally! Someone has designed a online university that caters to working adults. Everything is flexible which takes a tremendous amount of stress out of the experience. If you've scheduled a test and something comes up just reschedule, problem. It's also great that EVERYTHING is included for one fee. You don't have to worry about books, lab fees, parking, etc.

Finally, the one thing I was concerned about when considering WGU was how would employers react to a degree from WGU. I'm happy to report I have worked for two Fortune 500 companies since graduating and neither of them blinked an eye. They accepted my degree just a degree from any other university. I can't recommend WGU highly enough. If you're trying to advance your education don't wait any longer. Get signed up and get going. With the self paced courses you'll be done a LOT sooner than a traditional university, with much less stress, and at a much better cost. Good luck and get going!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I started attending WGU in April, 2017. I will be graduating in December, 2019 with a BA in Mathematics, Secondary Education. WGU is currently the highest rated teacher college in the country. Regardless of what other reviewers have said, I have had a flawless experience at WGU. They gave me 30 credits for my prior college, which was generous. Their financial aid department has been timely and responsive. I have received excellent support from my professors and mentor. I can't say enough good things.

I have now been accepted for student teaching by a major public school district, and will be a state certified, highly qualified math teacher when I graduate. WGU requires a huge amount of work, and is not for anyone looking for the easy way out. WGU is an accredited education on par with brick and mortar colleges, but without all of the red tape. Plus, books and access to a huge research library are included with tuition. WGU is a great value in education for those willing to put in the work.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I started the nursing program and was in my 1st term when they decided to switch one of the classes With only 2 months of my term left. The new course was so unorganized and no information was available for the 1st 2 weeks, needless to say I did not finish the course and they dismissed me from their program. I contacted and filed a grievance through student services and they tried to throw every excuse at me to why I was dismissed. Trying to tell me that my shots, drug screening and other stuff wasn't turned in on time. They would not accept fault for changing the class that they had no right to do. Beware of this happening. They could care less about their students and are horrible about accepting their mistakes. The worst 5,000 I ever spent.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I am a student at Western Governors University. I am a professional and parent and I go to school on the side. This is incredible opportunity for anyone to experience continued education without having to sacrifice your career or family. It's still hard. I'm a few classes in and this is no joke, but that is the case for any valid educational system. I have done more research than some of the skeptics who posted reviews out of even doing valid digging in this is a legitimate institution with endorsements from the likes of Bill Gates and Barack Obama.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

The financial aid department is absolute trash here. They're slow, rude, and don't keep you up to date on anything. The only time they're quick is when you're a day or two away from having to pay your tuition in full but they say nothing for the previous 3 months.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I can't even get passed the admissions for this school. When I call there is an annoying echo. I asked them what it was and they told me they are recording the conversation. The echo is so bad that I didn't even want to talk and I hung up. I started emailing the admissions dept. He told me I had to get my certification before enrolling. They changed the cert. test and didn't tell me. I called to complain and asked to talk to a supervisor. He said he would put me through to a manager. It was the same guy I called to complain about answering and he just used a different name. If you are intelligent at all do not bother trying to enroll here, you are just going to get the run around. I am glad I found out what they are like before enrolling. I don't even want to think what it would be like going to school here.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Am I the only person who has looked into this college only to find out that after completing 43 hours of course work at a major university in my past, that WGU would only accept 7 of those? I also bumped into a former work friend, and he had a very similar experience. He had 106 credit hours at his former university and they were going to take 18 hours. I guess making people start over from scratch is their way of eventually getting more dollars in tuition.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I'm a single mom of two with a full time management position and decided to transfer my degree and additional credits from my prior colleges and start classes with WGU. I chose this school after talking with others, and I was skeptical at first. Within a few days of being enrolled and getting through the process I was blown away. No other school had ever provided me with as much support as when I started here. WGU staff walked me through my processes and on those processes that they didn't there were comprehensive videos to assist.

My student mentor, Stephen was crucial to my success and made a point to reach out every week for a scheduled call. WGU class instructors were there ANYTIME I needed them. The resources provided were more than enough to help me learn the subjects I needed to learn, to confirm my understandings of the subjects I didn't know about, and relevant to my field of study. The instructors were available at appropriate times to help me with what I didn't find information on. Cost wise, I spent a 3rd of what I spend on my associate's degree, and I feel that the ROI was much more.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

As a working single mother, there were not many options to further my education. I looked around online and I liked the structure of WGU so I gave it a shot. It was the only one that didn't require in-classroom time at a nearby college. I LOVED that there wasn't a ton of busy work! If I understood the content and could take the pre-exam and did well, I could take the final and be done with the class. I wish I had been able to do that in college where my Chemistry 101 class was identical to my High School AP Chemistry class! There were tons of classes that I had taken that seemed like repeats. WGU lets you breeze through all of that! When there is something you don't understand, the teachers online are there to help. It's by far the best way to get a degree and I'm happy to say I've had many friends follow in my footsteps after I shared with them the success I had.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I thought admissions process is pretty simple. My mentor and the course mentor was readily available. You have to be disciplined or you’ll fall behind in school schedule. Many resources to help you pass your classes. Only con is their financial dept is really slow to respond... That delayed one of my semester.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Transferring to WGU after ITT shut down was one of the biggest blunders of my academic career. I was intrigued by the competency model and distance learning. Unfortunately, I did not realize the impact that it would have in the staff. I spent a year and a half at this school trying to “make it work”. There were no readily available teacher to assist me in any of my classes. If I was finally graced with an answer from a teacher it was 2-3 weeks later. I was forced to withdraw from many classes due to this. I have reported WGU to the Department of Education for taking financial aid money and not providing an adequate education. I do not recommend this school to anyone!

Original review: May 2, 2018

I applied for admission and had Jaimee ** as the counselor. She was very incompetent and wasted all my time. For four months of dealing with her, I ended up not getting admitted because her and the financial aid and transcript staff were very unorganized. I told Jaimee so many times to make sure first that I will be eligible for financial aid before we go on with the process because I could not afford the tuition fee without the aid. Either she did not know what she was doing or too dumb to know how the whole thing goes. She made me go through the whole process and I spent over $500 to take care of my documents. She kept calling me without any result, I have to call the financial aid myself to clarify things because she had no idea what was going on, totally wasted my time for four months. This school is the most unorganized school I've ever dealt with because they let these incompetent kids deal with serious applicants.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I had 1st heard of WGU through one of my instructors at another school. Being a victim of ITT Tech's, I wanted to find a school that was legitimate and stay true to teaching its students. I have thought that WGU was that place, however, I had found out some details that I wasn't crazy about. As it turns out, even to get a bachelor's degree in the IT program, you have to have either 2 years experience in IT or have a certification already. The whole point of a bachelor's is to start from the beginning anyway. So I was really disappointed in the criteria to even go to the school. Granted I had already had experience in the field but because of ITT Tech's contacts and bad reputation this experience did not do me much good because the companies that hired the students, fired them after 90 days, just before their benefits kicked in.

I asked the admissions counselor what I could do to qualify and wouldn't you know it, he gave me a website that, out of my own pocket of course, I could get my very own cert. to qualify. Did I mention this is connected to WGU? I would have to pay at $150 for the course, not including the $99 membership fee! But don't worry, most people finish the course within 6 weeks. What a ripoff, the Board of Education needs to look into that.

Original review: April 25, 2017

It was really easy to enroll. Customer service is amazing. They did most of the work for me and told me all the information that I would need to provide. Each day I was getting information the people were there to help me through it all! My teachers are always responsive when I'm needing help and they provide useful feedback. The online platform makes it really easy to keep up with my classes work and any test I may need to do. It's also very easy to keep up with grades and other important information. This program has helped me achieve my dream goals and I'm still going.

Original review: April 23, 2017

I like having the flexibility to do my coursework whenever I happen to have the time. I am not constrained to a specific class time, which allows me the time to work full time if I choose to do so, which is really nice for me. However, it is incredibly difficult to take a class online. There is not a lot of teacher/student interaction, so self discipline is a huge requirement for me to complete my assignments on time and retain understanding of the material. But it was pretty easy for me to engage in the online platform. All that is required is to sign up then check your computer settings to make sure you have the right connectivity on your computer, and you are set. The courses have been helpful for me because I am not a visual learner - I do not require seeing the lesson in order to learn it.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I like the compassion of the program. The courses are very well in depth and cover all I need to know to achieve my goals. The courses are full of knowledge that I can complete and help is needed if I need it. This is a great school. It is easy to enroll and I can tell that they really care about me as a person and not just another student. I can take my studies and be respected at any institution also.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Pleasant and educational. I like the freedom to work at my own pace most of the time. The site is easy to learn and use and the features are very accessible. It is a great program for someone that has limited experience using the web for services such as schooling. It's fairly easy to engage in the online platform but I wish they would have went over ways such as how to access and utilize some of the services offered before the course actually started. And at times it almost seems like you get lost in the group and some one on one attention would not only be nice but helpful as well.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Online and flexible schedule makes it more manageable. Allows me to have a balance to between school, work and family. Having this balance makes it more possible for me to accomplish the goal. I have had no issues engaging in the online platform. The courses have been helpful and some of my learnings can be applied immediately. The only hiccup I have encountered is when I am studying late nights and my Internet Service Provider has a scheduled maintenance where the services are not available. Also, having to sit in front of a camera makes me feel as if I am being watched all the time. It is like a boss looking over my shoulder and I don't like to be micro managed.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I can work at my pace and in my free time. I can still work a part-time job. It is easy to learn and communicate with the instructors and to access the course materials. It's easier to enroll and pick courses but I feel some of the courses are pointless but yes some are very beneficial and I've learned a lot. I don't have to worry about the course sizes because it is all online and at my own pace. What I don't like is it is more expensive than an on campus program and you have to have the extra expense of a computer and internet access. Have to rely on the instructors to respond via email if I want a response.

Western Governors University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

As a nonprofit online university, WGU offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing at lower costs than many other online universities. Students pay the same flat-rate tuition each six-month term, no matter how many courses they complete during that time. WGU offers courses in all 50 states and overseas for those in the United States military.

• Nursing programs: WGU has multiple degree options in their Online College of Health Professionals. Students can work towards a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) and multiple Masters of Science degrees in Nursing, including Education, Leadership and Management and Nursing Informatics. Students can pursue an RN to MSN option for each master’s degree.

• Accreditation: WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). It also holds accreditation with the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIM).

• Admissions: WGU’s admission process is designed to determine each potential student’s ability to complete the WGU nursing program. In addition to a high school diploma or GED, WGU looks at each student's interview with an enrollment counselor, prior college and work experience, results from the WGU Collegiate Readiness Assessment and the time commitment each student can make towards their studies.

• Tuition and financial aid: WGU charges a flat rate every term, so students who take more classes per term will have a more affordable degree. The flat-rate, six-month term for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in nursing is $3,250. Students seeking financial aid can go through the five-step application process online.

• Online library: WGU provides current students with access to their online library. The library contains access to thousands of scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers and an extensive collection of e-books. Students can get help with their research 24/7 by using the Ask a Librarian chat service.

• Best for: students looking for an affordable online nursing program.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs