Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.46/5

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

Consumer Affairs is a dumpster fire website that does not allow me to update or delete my previous review. You will be fine using tuition reimbursement. Everything is available when you need it (besides up-to-date scores). Go to WGU. Don't use Consumer Affairs.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Great advisor and selection of classes. HORRIBLE scores department. They made me lose $3,000 because they do NOT update transcripts after weeks of waiting, and they do NOT provide a contact link to reach them at. If your employer is paying for your university and needs to see your grades in a timely manner, do NOT go to Western Governors University. It's a great institute but it's weighed down by an incompetent scores department who will actively screw you over time and time again.

Resolution response: June 23, 2020

WGU is making changes to reflect changes and input from hiring managers in business. Upon reflection I realize this opinion is petty and short sighted.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Overall, WGU is inexpensive, affordable, and they have great undergraduate programs. My MSML program through WGU has been a joke. It has been comprised of papers (mostly in which I didn't even look at any material for) and rote memory quizzes. How this school was given the accreditation it has boggles my mind. However, it is accredited and a decent option if you are working full time or do not have the ability to attend a brick and mortar school. A degree here holds its weight about the same as anywhere else.

My issue here is that in the middle of my program they removed a class. After removing this class they told me that due to the fact I had engaged the course and finished half of it I would either need to finish it or receive a "not pass" on my transcript. Everyone else in my boat who decided not to finish their work early do not have this same outcome.

After speaking with program manager Seth **, I was pretty much told finish it or receive a bad mark on my transcript. This decision is short sighted and does not make an ounce of sense. Why even tell me you are doing this? Why not wait until the end of the semester? It effectively punishes students for finishing work on time. I do not want to have to take a 3 hour final that is not necessary as the class is being removed. I also don't want a bad mark on my transcript. This needs to be fixed. This should not be on any student transcript if it isn't required to graduate, PERIOD. I was then sent an email stating I had to certify I was okay with this after saying I wasn't. Did you hear what I said?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Western Governors University (WGU) takes a modern approach to higher-education. Using a pure online model, high quality learning materials and with a truly flexible schedule it is ahead of the game. This is what college should be.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I graduated from WGU in 2013 with a Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management. I have a bachelor’s degree in accounting from another not-for-profit brick and mortar college. The MBA program at WGU was intense and I am a certified public accountant so I know a great deal about intensity. I was employed full time while enrolled at WGU; however, the courses were all online so they did not interfere with my busy schedule. I learned so much at WGU and I will forever be grateful for the opportunities that my degree has opened up for me. WGU has helped me become more knowledgeable and assisted me in achieving my professional goals. I greatly value my time at WGU and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to obtain an affordable education.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Repeated issues just in my orientation. Couldn't complete it because of IT errors. Wasted two hours trying to go over the orientation to figure out what I did wrong, and it turned out they knew the error was an issue, just never bothered to fix it. They claim to be adult friendly. I guess they don't understand the normal working adult doesn't have two hours to waste because their IT can't fix a problem they knew about (it says right in the comments when the orientation failed that they could help if this occurred). Staff don't carry any professional profiles on WGU with professional bios or photos. After the wasted 80 dollars on getting started, I was then told I had to go buy an eighty dollar web cam. Seems extremely shady, I can see why they were accused of defrauding the government out of 700 million dollars.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

So, ran into medical problem with a class, they completely ignored and dismissed it. Wouldn't so any work around with me. Then later they lied to me about financial aid and taking a break. They wouldn't apply the aid how they had promised. I told them that I wouldn't be able to do the payment that way. In the middle of it all found out I have stage 4 cancer with a maxed of 3 yrs to live. I have emails saying they would disenroll and drop me but now I am getting collection calls from them. Very apathetic towards students and issues that come up. I wish I had never tried working with them. They are uncaring, money hungry and will lie to keep you interesting and waste what you have left of loans and financial aid there.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I am a 40+ returning student and previously tried another online program to complete my degree. I had an incredible undergraduate and graduate WGU experience. Any time I had a question I received a phone call from an instructor offering assistance. My mentor both times were fantastic! You truly can work at your own pace and the information pressed is relevant! My degree was directly related to my promotion. Finally, I achieved my goal of higher education!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My Mentor was great. But as far as the teaching staff. All I can say is if you have a problem they will not help you. But the Mentor I had would try. The teaching staff can only teach the way they lecture. You ask for help in understanding and they can only recite the lecture back to you, so seriously they do not understand what they are teaching. "(Daaaa) I already heard that lecture, lets try another angle so I can understand".

One instructor will tell you one thing another in the same team will tell you another, none of them are on the same page yet it's your problem you're not understanding. Just a bunch of double talk while you're paying for this junk education they offer. Run from W.G.U.. Do not waste your money. IT IS A SCAM and they do not help you if you need help. They take your money and it's your fault you're not understanding their crappy assignments. I gave them one star only for the mentor I had who was fair and understanding. If I had a choice the entire university deserves ZERO STARS!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I went to log in to my student portal and this was the first site that appeared in my search. So... I read through a few of the comments and some seemed pretty unfortunate, so I'll share my story and maybe someone can relate. This university is the best thing that has happened to me. I attended three universities before WGU, and one being a community college where I graduated with an Associates in Business. I had three semesters I needed to finish and this is the only university that accepted all my CRAZY transfer credits and put me on track to where I needed to be. If you have ever transferred schools, you may know some of your paid credits get thrown out the window.

Anyway, I applied to a large university in my hometown and they said I needed at least two years to complete general courses I never took (courses only their university required). My Uncle had just recently graduated with his Masters from WGU, so I checked it out. Applied (WGU offers FREE applications), and got accepted. A counselor called me, explained the entire process of how WGU works and asked any questions I had. I had a mentor call me every week my first semester to help keep me on track, which is awesome because it was hard to change and put myself in charge of my own success.

At WGU you have to put in the work on your own, there's no syllabus, scheduled quizzes or tests, it's all personal choice of when and how you get the courses completed. Mentors are there to help give you tips of surviving each class, seriously, they're great. I also got a scholarship the first semester that is good for the three semesters I'll be attending. Also, I have been able to accelerate my courses to where my last semester I will be a part time student with only two courses left.

WGU has given me an affordable and empowering (in a way) option to finish my degree. I've traveled a lot more and have had a ton of freedom compared to other students. The degree is a piece of paper you've earned, and it will look the same as any others in an interview. And about the credibility issue, I pretty sure the government (FASFA) wouldn't give me any money (loans) if it weren't a non-accredited school. That's not really how it works.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I am a business management student at WGU. I have an associate degree from a community college. As a working adult, WGU has been perfect for me. The program is definitely challenging with each course getting progressively more difficult. I've read criticism regarding their absence of a letter grades. Their model is competency based and I have already had much success applying the knowledge I've obtained to my professional life. If you are just looking for a letter grade, this is not the school for you. However, if you seek real world skills and knowledge at a very affordable price, there is no other comparison. I have never worked so hard on an educational endeavor in my entire life, and it is definitely paying off!

Western Governors University Company Information