3.1/5 (93 ratings)

About Western Governors University

Western Governors University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Western Governors University?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

First, I'd like to say that I have an AA, that includes English Comp 1 and Eng Comp 2 with Technical Topics. My enrollment counselor was good and got the hint that I wasn't interested in being on the phone for excessive amounts of time. I was finally "cleared to enroll" and that's when all of the WGU-specific hoops appeared. You must complete an orientation course, that includes a written work to be submitted at the end of the course.

Granted, it was in the format of "question and then answer in complete sentences", but the last thing I want to do is write, for no credit at all. Finished orientation, now I wait for classes to start....or so I thought. Nope, another time-consuming nonsense task: meet with a "mentor", which consists of a phone conversation that is 30 minutes long. You must do this in order to enroll in any classes and for the duration of your first term, you must correspond with this individual via email or by phone, on a weekly basis.

That's just what the adult-learner needs: another task that is a complete waste of time and energy. Financial services sent me an award letter on the 6th, then sent me an email on the 20th, stating that I had required tasks to complete. The term at WGU starts on the 1st of the month. So, I look into it and see a correspondence that essentially says "Another institution is requesting student loans, so we can't request those loans. You have to contact the institution and tell them to cancel their request." I have been told that WGU can't process my student loans until the other institution cancels their request. I have attended several institutions and haven't ever run into this type of problem.

So, I've developed a theory: WGU is either unable or unwilling to reconcile student accounts until the actual funds are in their account. I have received a financial aid refund from a college, and then had the funds revoked and I've had to pay back the college. The college essentially extended me credit and when the loan wasn't funded, I owed that debt to the college. I really REALLY wanted to put the pedal to the metal and bang out my ** in a year, but there has been too much doubt sown. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I've seen a number of other reviews about this school. Many of them depend on the individual and their ability to navigate a course or ask for help or follow the links within the course to more elaborate parts. My issue has been this, and by the way I will not hire anyone with a WGU degree if I see one. My issue is the poor construction of the courses. In my very first course I had to make, I believe 9 revisions over ONE sentence. It's the reason why, that is concerning and one of the reasons I won't accept a WGU degree from a potential employee. The reason I had to make so many revisions is because THEIR answer was incorrect. The worst part is that their incorrect answer hadn't even been provided in the text. There was no way to get it right.

The second thing I hate about WGU, is that it doesn't test your knowledge in a number of cases, the tasks you have to complete have NOTHING or little to do with the actual curriculum!! How can I trust a degree from there, when people are passing courses via tasks that have nothing to do with the real knowledge they should have about the subject matter. So, while I still go there, it's a NO for me. Hard pass. I hate this school and their courses. I recently was about to take an exam and I took a mini practice quiz to get ready, and the quiz tested me on things the section never covered. Typical WGU in my experience. So don't frustrate yourself by going.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

This is by far the worst experience I had in a long time. The enrolment counselor is extremely useless and don`t know anything. I got more information just from the website than talking to the counselor (by the way I changed 2 persons). It took them 3 month to reject all my requests, 3 MONTH!!! First they play the game that there is no way they can change anything on your application even if there is a mistake, after 3 month turns out I had two active applications in their system and they did not notice, really? If you value your time and nerves, choose different schools.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I have been a student at Western Governors University for nearly 4 years now. I have a B.S. from WGU and am currently in a WGU Master of Science program. Prior to my transfer to WGU, I attended 3 other colleges both traditional, in-person classroom instruction and labs as well as a few online courses and some that were hybrid. I am also familiar with the largest, most prestigious public university in my region through my relationship working there and briefly being admitted and attending. I can say with complete confidence that my experiences at Western Governors have far exceeded that of any other educational institution in my lifetime. I will share my personal story below but let me first briefly outline whom I believe WGU to be for and why it would not be for some.

WGU is for you if you:

- Have been trying to work and get a degree
- Never got a degree, but have a lot of domain experience
- Are comfortable or otherwise able to complete learning somewhat independently (though there are exceptions)
- Learn quickly and are frustrated by the necessity of each course taking a full semester
- Have felt that your knowledge of some course material has been sufficient to pass finals before beginning them
- Need a flexible school schedule to fit your life around
- Want and are able to complete a degree program in much less time than normal
- Prefer not to spend egregious amounts of money on your education
- Are concerned that some of the courses you take do not adequately prepare you for real-world applications

- Have a degree, but want to complete a graduate program

WGU may not be for you if you:

- Simply need in-classroom instruction
- Need to complete a degree that is more theory-based and less applications-based
- Neither see money nor time as an object
- Prefer the social experience of being on campus
- Require an Ivy League alumni network and branding

- Will ultimately move on to certain professional graduate education such as medical or law school

I believe I have been fair in my assessment of the above. I do truly believe that there are plenty of circumstances that would not benefit from attending WGU. I will say, however, that the vast majority likely do not fall into those categories. Every concern I had about WGU prior to attendance has dissolved. I was concerned that the school was a diploma mill, had low quality, under-educated professors and staff, did not educate students adequately enough to perform in their careers, would be looked down on by future employers and colleagues, would not lead me to graduate-level opportunities. None of these concerns materialized. The opposite proved true.

My bachelor’s degree was hard-won. My master’s work is challenging and fulfilling. My employers and colleagues praise and admire my education. I have been accepted to multiple graduate-level programs of varying renown. My professors have been some of the best I've ever had in my life and consummate academic professionals.

It's simply a no-brainer to choose WGU if you are considering it. I cannot say that everyone will have the same experience I have, but I can say considering my not-insignificant experience with universities and colleges, Western Governors University has shone brighter than any other. If interested, please see me story below for more details.

My story: As I said, WGU was my fourth post-secondary institution. I was not graced with a traditional education as a youth and, therefore, my opportunities for higher learning were somewhat limited initially. In addition to that, and perhaps in concert, I began working full-time at a young age and was living completely independently just weeks after my 18th birthday. All this is to say, though I was eager to complete a college degree, the barriers to my college learning were great. I never did, and never will, have the opportunity to solely be a university student with no other obligations. But I was determined to complete a course of study, so I began any way I could and gave little thought to my future career.

As a result, the vision of my future has shifted considerably over the more than a decade since I began college. Work obligations (the basic necessity of putting food on the table, and also having a table to put it on) were a persistent roadblock as well. Eventually, attending classroom lectures and labs became a near-impossibility. I shifted to hybrid and fully online-based courses at my local community college. This eased the burden somewhat, but my progress was still painfully slow due to the time constraints of semesters and how long each course would take. I started to become quite pessimistic about finishing a degree program. I was already seven years in and had changed my major four times. I needed something different.

I was introduced to WGU through a family member. They had just completed their MBA at the university. At the time, WGU was just another one of those predatory, private, online schools in my mind, so I never gave it much thought. This family member's experience wowed me. They had completed a bachelor’s program at a prestigious state university prior to WGU and were gushing about how much better their experience had been at WGU. I was skeptical but decided to find out more. So, I began interrogating him about my impressions of the school. Wasn't it just a degree factory? Doesn't it cost a ton of money? Isn't the quality of education and instructors sub-par? Won't employers look down on you because of where you got your MBA? These were, of course, valid concerns. But my initial impressions of WGU were far from reality. Or so he said. That's when I decided to give it a shot.

Skeptically, I applied and was admitted to the university. Having a substantial educational career by this point, I figured a transfer would be no questions asked. To my surprise, they were more selective than I had anticipated. This might be dissuasive to some, but it was encouraging to me. I was placed with a Program Mentor, a role I equated with academic advisors like I had met with in past experiences. That was a mischaracterization. My interactions with academic advisors had been brief and often unnecessary. My WGU Program Mentor was in contact with me weekly. She was enthusiastic and celebratory in my success; concerned and motivational in my struggle. I attribute much of my success at WGU to some excellent Program Mentors that have guided and encouraged me along the way.

I was apprehensive of WGU at first because I suspected the professors to be of sub-par quality and educational preparation. This fear quickly evaporated as I moved through courses and became familiar with some professors, or what WGU calls Course Instructors. Each experience with my professors at WGU has left me with the utmost confidence that the university cares deeply about the quality of their professors. I have been supremely impressed with my Course Instructors, many of which have gone far out of their way to help me in times of need. In comparison with some of my previous professors at other institutions, I can say that I had a few that were outstanding. But the overwhelming majority of my professors at WGU have met that standard and I cannot thank them enough.

Finally, let me share my experience about the issue I was most concerned about. Like many, I was fearful that putting WGU on my resume or my LinkedIn page was going to be perceived as a derogatory mark. I thought that in important job interviews I would be questioned about my education and that my colleagues would consider me lesser than. I am happy to report that I was wrong.

I have had dozens of interviews over the years since beginning at WGU and have had a few different jobs as well. If anything, I could say that the opposite has been true. I get more questions about the university from individuals that have heard good things and are exploring graduate opportunities. I have been asked in exactly one interview, perhaps the most important one of my life thus far, about Western Governors and the intent was not to question my education but to praise the university. Perhaps there have been opportunities I've lost as a result. If that has occurred, it has been without my knowledge.

I am incredibly proud to be both an alumnus of WGU and a soon-to-be graduate of a WGU master’s program. I persistently evangelize the university to my colleagues, friends and acquaintances. The opportunities that have opened to me because of my choice to attend have been manifold and have launched my life to a new level. I know the same can be said for many of my alumni peers. I submit the same could be said of you.

Original review: July 16, 2021

First? You must live within the Mountain Time Zone (greater Utah area) to get the help you need at Western Governors University. WGU professors roll up their proverbial carpet quite early in the day. They are also most nearly always on vacation (e.g., I received regular email responses declaring how long professors would be out of office and those responses were constant). That means students end up working with professors with whom they have zero rapport, assuming you can actually find a professor who is available in your time zone, that is.

The school also hires staff who can barely speak English. So if you're struggling with a topic and need to connect with a professor, good luck understanding them! If you ask for a professor who speaks better English you will immediately be flagged for "disposition" issues and will be called a "racist." (I am not exaggerating here!) While you and I both know that needing to understand a teacher's vocabulary/communications is important to learning - the university does not seem to understand that basic principle of learning.

The most offensive thing about WGU is the way they expect active teachers (who are grad students) to be visually blind to how students look and talk. Regardless of your personal racial background, or how much your culture describes people by appearance, if you write about the only white child in a classroom and describe that child as "blond" you will be flagged as a "racist." Because race and culture are relevant to socialization and classroom learning, it's completely disconcerting that WGU expects students to ignore all of that.

Instead of emphasizing how all races, cultures, religions, and genders have legal rights and are protected under the law, WGU emphasizes not seeing race, culture, religion, or gender at all. That makes it very difficult to discuss individual student rights and their struggles that are relevant to student demographics. WGU will not help you become a better teacher. Not at all. Their goal is to train sheeple who merely type out papers that meet their incredibly narrow perspective. They will constantly preach about equity in the classroom but the University itself offers none of that for its grad students.

Realize that WGU sits in the heart of Mormon country. (Salt Lake City, Utah.) Because they hire from within their church the staff have a very narrow ultraconservative view of the world and they are hypersensitive about world events on an ignorant and excessive level. My background includes teaching in Title I schools where students get their breakfast and lunch at school and many go home with food in their backpacks. White students are the minority where I teach. The staff where I work come from all races, creeds, and cultures. I have never ever had an issue working where I do but with WGU being so out of touch with real world teaching practices - I had to drop out of their program because they were wasting my time and student money.

Original review: May 4, 2021

This college is not recommended. I had bad experience after registering class of 2019, with bad instructors. I had contacted several times the college admins and not able to resolve the issue. In fact, I don't like the curriculum itself. This college is totally set up 100% online who does not require any assistance which is basically like buy book and take industry standard exams. I was trying to take java which requires hands on experience but they provided the link to see low quality videos than found on YouTube. Overall, I regret wasting my time and money on this school.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I began seeking different avenues of furthering my education and it was until I got on the phone with Melina ** @ WGU for our first call, that I felt comfortable with my direction that I was considering. She really made things that felt overwhelming before, more simple. She was very patient and kind, it really made all the difference for me. If I had gotten on the phone with someone who was just eager to push me forward, it wouldn't have worked out.

She met me where I was and in the process of that, we ended up moving through enrollment/admissions quickly. She is a rockstar and I'm confident in WGU because if they have someone like her on board, then I have high standards for the people I work with from this point forward. Thank you Melina for setting the tone for my college experience. Good luck to all those considering furthering their education, I hope you get someone like Melina to assure you along the way.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

I looked into this school for an option to earn a Bachelors in Secondary Education. When I put through the initial request for info, I received an email from Kaylyn in enrollment or advising - not sure which one. She asked me to let her know when I was free for a call, so I replied to her with my availability. She never emailed me back, but the next day I got a call from them and missed it. They left me a voicemail asking me to call back and sent me a text with a number to call.

I called back and spoke to someone who informed me they didnt have a degree path that could fit my needs. Okay, no worries. I got an email from Kaylyn right thanking me for my interest and asking me to let her know when I was available to set up a call again. Not the same email, but ridiculously close. I emailed her back and let her know that I already spoke to someone and and they told me WGU didnt have an option for me. No response, but the next day someone called me again asking if I had time to speak to an advisor about my interest in WGU.

I cant comment on their courses or anything else, but just as someone who was considering this place for online school this method of communication is a huge red flag. Felt like no one was listening to me and I was just being passed around like a sales lead. The emails from advisors/enrollment are obviously both automated and unmonitored. I was not impressed.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I was involved in education for about 10 years (substitute, aide, and secretary), so I knew a lot of content already. I had an A.A going in and that helped tremendously. I had a good experience. I missed finishing in a year because of one course and that was on me (never had geometry before). The mentors are good. I actually had 3 over my time there and an acquaintance going through Teacher College had the same one the whole way through. It was a little off putting but things happen. I know that WGU does a lot on quota based calls and communications, maybe why they were very "helpful". I felt prepared to take my pedagogy exams and passed them both on the first try!

I am a certified teacher thanks to WGU and their program. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get into the workforce if they have prior knowledge in the field. Some people were taking it slow and that's okay, that was their experience. With WGU you can make it your own and it's challenging work with real world applications.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Great school that allows you you go at your own pace. Regionally accredited and offers a optimal price level depending on how fast you move through the program. If you are an accelerator, you will not find a better priced college. But even if you are not, the flexibility offered in order to truly take tests of classes on your own time is unbeatable. Not everyone can to night school or take tests at set times. WGU is perfect for those people who need flexibility. Because it's a non profit, staff and mentors are there to support you and don't hold you back if they see you can do the work. Overall 5/5, and I think that the global pandemic will really shift a lot of peoples views on online education, and I am sure WGU will lead the way.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have been attending for a couple years now. My work and home lives kept me very busy for long periods of time, with opportunities to study coming in 1-2 month bursts, where I would knock out large chunks of content at a time. The hook that a gloried recruiter got me with was 'school at your own pace'. They did not mention that 'your own pace' meant 'we will nag you every chance we get if you don't do it in a consistent pattern.' Thankfully the first mentor I got (who was Umbridge levels of disgustingly over-sweet to the point of condescending) is no longer who I have to deal with.

The content itself is honestly easy, with little thought needing to go into it. That said, the worst part is everything is graded by rubric and 100% on said rubric is expected... meaning they will nitpick anything and everything. Other (non-classroom) departments are like this as well, with everything having to be perfect. The only one I have interacted with that wasn't a pain was the Finances department, so at least the people getting you in debt are competent. All in all it has been a fair headache, and I likely would not recommend WGU to any friends. Maybe someone I hate, but only if I get to watch them deal with the bureaucracy.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I had a bad experience with WGU. Perhaps you will have a better one, but I recommend caution before taking out the loans. First of all, the entire system is built on a shaky premise. To get federal student aid, a university can't be 100% correspondence courses. The problem is that WGU is essentially 100% correspondence courses. They have, "Instructors" in each of the courses, but the instructors don't really do anything. If you email them, they give you a copy/paste answer that makes you question if they even read your email in the first place.

Secondly, they have this weird system where you have a, "mentor." But the mentor would be more appropriately described as a "keeper" or a, "minder." All interaction with the university administration is supposed to go through the mentor. I didn't like this, it felt unreasonably controlling. I'm an adult, I should be able to communicate with the university directly. Finally, my single term was full of errors and miscommunications on behalf of WGU. I found them to be punitive when I made an error, but indifferent when they made an error. The different departments all seemed to be on different pages. You could ask 10 WGU employees the same question and get 10 different answers. This was amplified by the fact that I had to wait for my mentor to respond. Ultimately, I decided to leave WGU and enroll in a community college.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I attended WGU’s Business Management and Leadership graduate program- so I cannot speak to other programs. This is one of the best online schools I’ve attended (and I have tried out a few of them). You can schedule times to talk to your professors (they call you- I don’t know any other online university that does this), there are study groups led by instructors, virtual classes to attend, a tutoring center, class forums, and your mentor if you need help. I will say there is a lot of personal responsibility and accountability that goes into this. And it is a lot of hard work. But the professors in the business school have the credentials and experience to teach. They are all professional and extremely helpful, and I used them more than my mentor.

My last few classes in the program I must have talked to a professor 2-3 times a week! I think I failed one assessment and the instructor called me to see if I needed to talk about the issues I had and to encourage me to take it again. And let’s talk about price— this is place is a steal at $25,0000. Please remember you’re getting a degree- they’re not cheap and master programs are even more expensive. I started a business graduate program at another online school - price tag: $50,000. I did one class and left. They assigned tons of homework with zero interaction or assistance from the instructor. I’m pretty sure they didn’t even read my ten page paper. No handouts, no videos, no lecture— if I wanted to contact them, it was email. So good luck with that.

Is there anything I didn’t like?? Yep. The mentors. I get why they have them at the school. But I am extremely self-motivated and independent. I didn’t get much out of mentor phone calls - that turned to text messages. She didn’t remember our previous conversations and I found her to be rude and condescending at times. I felt like she was overworked, too many students, and had a cardboard answer to everything (it’s why her responses to some of my issues were condescending and didn’t apply). I’m glad people loved their mentors and having them was helpful. But for a person who’s already goal setting and focused, she was a more a hindrance than help.

I also had some issues navigating their student assistance sites and classrooms. The set ups and finding stuff can be a bit confusing. Each class is set up slightly different, so you have to peruse everything or you can easily miss something (guilty!). I have recommended this place at least a dozen times. And will continue to do so. I’ve never been so happy with an online school. I wish they had more degree options, because I would certainly go back.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

The Texas Program is utter disgrace and should be a laughing stock. The BSN program does not need to be open for anyone. The school's organization is poor, staff and faculty offer no guidance to these students that are eager and willing to learn the content. Term 1 is a blast, because it mainly consisted of your prerequisites. My issues unfortunately came about during second term, I was struggling a lot with the HESI questions, presumably because I wasn't a nurse at all. I constantly tried to look at many avenues and still couldn't grasp the content.

Let me be brutally honest, the teachers say they want to help you, but it's kinda hard to believe. I spoke with my mentor, got no help, just useless weekly phone calls that were pointless to the matter. The professor would always give me the run around about how I needed to read the book all over again, if I wasn't getting it. The materials were all outdated and they provided no useful resources for students to grasp the content. I had to literally google helpful materials that I thought would help. I've never felt so lost in my life. FYI: If you're not an LVN or RN, please don't patronize this school. They will talk to you like you're incompetent and make you feel worthless for not knowing the material. I had many anxiety attacks just from being worried about failing the exams, and possible dismissal.

Unfortunately, the worst had happened, I was dismissed from the program. When I tried to send the mentor an email about how I felt, I was blatantly ignored. I tried complaining to the school, and they found every excuse in the rules and regulations to blame me. Another awesome part about this was that I was slapped with a 6k bill from them. Moral of the story is that they don't care about the students, this is clearly a business for them. They can care less if you pass or fail. Now I can see why the Texas program was closed in 2017, the school needs to be shut down indefinitely. It's a silly school to attend, not worth it. See link below. **

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

I did both my undergrad, and am working on my Master's with WGU-both in education. They are an AMAZING university. They will not hold your hand, you are held accountable, and it is completely flexible. You need to have a strong motivation, and ability to hold yourself to a study schedule. It is not easy at all. That being said, my mentors are and have been very helpful! As a non-traditional student, I would have otherwise not been able to achieve what I have without their online platform, support, flexibility. I recommend this University to any adult student who is looking to gain knowledge, and personal experience on top of their degree, and who have the grit to get it. Hope this helps someone else who (like myself in the past) are on the fence about pursuing a degree with WGU.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I enrolled in this school because of the flexibility. I got a veteran scholarship. My mentor Cyndee was phenomenal!!! She was very encouraging and full of positive energy. The classes was very good. I am self motivated so the set up worked for me. I just graduated and now I am going to enroll in the MBA program. This school is great for the self motivated and those who have real live experience. Don’t wait, take charge and do it!

Original review: July 8, 2020

I was struggling with some of the course content so I tried to schedule time with my assigned course instructor. The instructor arrived 25 minutes late to a 40 minute appointment. The only assistance that the instructor was willing to provide was to link me to YouTube videos. When I stated that I did not find youtube videos particularly helpful, the instructor accused me of being "disrespectful" and threatened to report me. I am not sure why I am paying nearly $4,000 per semester for an education I could essentially get for free on youtube.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

Consumer Affairs is a dumpster fire website that does not allow me to update or delete my previous review. You will be fine using tuition reimbursement. Everything is available when you need it (besides up-to-date scores). Go to WGU. Don't use Consumer Affairs.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Great advisor and selection of classes. HORRIBLE scores department. They made me lose $3,000 because they do NOT update transcripts after weeks of waiting, and they do NOT provide a contact link to reach them at. If your employer is paying for your university and needs to see your grades in a timely manner, do NOT go to Western Governors University. It's a great institute but it's weighed down by an incompetent scores department who will actively screw you over time and time again.

Resolution response: June 23, 2020

WGU is making changes to reflect changes and input from hiring managers in business. Upon reflection I realize this opinion is petty and short sighted.

Original review: June 8, 2020

Overall, WGU is inexpensive, affordable, and they have great undergraduate programs. My MSML program through WGU has been a joke. It has been comprised of papers (mostly in which I didn't even look at any material for) and rote memory quizzes. How this school was given the accreditation it has boggles my mind. However, it is accredited and a decent option if you are working full time or do not have the ability to attend a brick and mortar school. A degree here holds its weight about the same as anywhere else.

My issue here is that in the middle of my program they removed a class. After removing this class they told me that due to the fact I had engaged the course and finished half of it I would either need to finish it or receive a "not pass" on my transcript. Everyone else in my boat who decided not to finish their work early do not have this same outcome.

After speaking with program manager Seth **, I was pretty much told finish it or receive a bad mark on my transcript. This decision is short sighted and does not make an ounce of sense. Why even tell me you are doing this? Why not wait until the end of the semester? It effectively punishes students for finishing work on time. I do not want to have to take a 3 hour final that is not necessary as the class is being removed. I also don't want a bad mark on my transcript. This needs to be fixed. This should not be on any student transcript if it isn't required to graduate, PERIOD. I was then sent an email stating I had to certify I was okay with this after saying I wasn't. Did you hear what I said?

Original review: May 22, 2020

I started attending WGU in 2015 after hearing a radio commercial advertising degrees in education. I was 22 and just had a baby. I had to move back home and I thought there was no way I could go back to classes at my community college. I didn’t have money to pay for daycare/babysitter. I thought it would take me years to get a degree. I called WGU and was told to send over my transcript so they could see what courses could transfer. After checking, they said it would take me 3.5 years to graduate with my bachelors. I was taken aback. I really didn’t want it to take that long. They assured me that the degree is self-paced (until student teaching) and I could finish sooner if I worked through classes faster. I signed up that day. I graduated in 3 years. I wish it was sooner but it is because I ended procrastinating more than I hoped (my fault) but I did it faster than they anticipated!

The best thing about WGU is for sure the staff. I had a mentor who called me every week at the same time on the same day like clockwork throughout my whole 3 years. She was amazing and always in good spirits! Her name was Jess. She answered every question I ever had, gave me tips, told me exactly what to expect on my current and upcoming courses (difficulty, how long the average student takes to complete, the requirements, etc). She also made sure I was held accountable for my work. They say online classes are the hardest because you have to stay focused on your own.

With my mentor, I was always reminded of what I needed to do (“I see you haven’t logged into your class in a week, are things going okay?”) She was also very understanding with me and let me vent when I went through a period of depression. I loved working with her. Also, the teachers on the courses are a lifesaver. Every time I started a new class, I would ALWAYS make sure to contact the teachers and get their tips and tricks for completing the course. Some classes are finished with a test or an essay. You have 2 or 3 tries to pass a test that you take over a webcam, and you have as many attempts as you need on your essays. Essays are 100% easier to complete when you have talked to the teachers to find out EXACTLY what they need/want.

I learned a lot. I actually loved my core class requirements like the science course and history course. I learned things I never thought I would know. I also learned how to write lesson plans, manage classrooms, ethics in teaching, etc. The hardest part about the course was the 60 hours of in class observations required. Luckily I was able to go to a school every week for a couple of hours to observe. THIS was how you really learned how to teach. Challenging to get it done, but it’s definitely needed. My student teaching was set up easily in the district I preferred near me. I also had an amazing WGU evaluator come to rate/grade me in person 6 times. She was so helpful and I could tell she wanted me to succeed.

After graduating and student teaching, I passed all my state exams, got my state teaching license, and was offered a job at the school I student taught at. I was also able to attend an in person graduation ceremony in Austin, which was nice and unexpected. I have been at my student teaching school ever since, I teach 5th grade and love it. I just bought a house and can now provide for my family. I couldn’t have done it without WGU and their amazing staff. Did I mention the price is right? Also, my government awarded Pell Grants paid for my tuition. But without the grants, the tuition was very reasonable. I recommend anyone to WGU. And I’m thinking about going back for my masters. I wouldn’t trust any other online learning platform.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

First, CA's statement about accreditation is misleading. WGU is both regionally accredited (these are the groups that accredit large land-based universities for competence in education), and by one of the two accreditors that accredit nursing schools in my profession. Secondly, achieving my master's degree at WGU was one of the best decisions I made in my life. It facilitated my movement in healthcare leadership through several facilities (even to one of our regional HQs). Since then, it has allowed me to move to the community college academia world without any issues at all. I have colleagues who were accepted into doctoral programs without any issues at all.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

Western Governors University (WGU) takes a modern approach to higher-education. Using a pure online model, high quality learning materials and with a truly flexible schedule it is ahead of the game. This is what college should be.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I graduated from WGU in 2013 with a Master of Business Administration in Healthcare Management. I have a bachelor’s degree in accounting from another not-for-profit brick and mortar college. The MBA program at WGU was intense and I am a certified public accountant so I know a great deal about intensity. I was employed full time while enrolled at WGU; however, the courses were all online so they did not interfere with my busy schedule. I learned so much at WGU and I will forever be grateful for the opportunities that my degree has opened up for me. WGU has helped me become more knowledgeable and assisted me in achieving my professional goals. I greatly value my time at WGU and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to obtain an affordable education.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Repeated issues just in my orientation. Couldn't complete it because of IT errors. Wasted two hours trying to go over the orientation to figure out what I did wrong, and it turned out they knew the error was an issue, just never bothered to fix it. They claim to be adult friendly. I guess they don't understand the normal working adult doesn't have two hours to waste because their IT can't fix a problem they knew about (it says right in the comments when the orientation failed that they could help if this occurred). Staff don't carry any professional profiles on WGU with professional bios or photos. After the wasted 80 dollars on getting started, I was then told I had to go buy an eighty dollar web cam. Seems extremely shady, I can see why they were accused of defrauding the government out of 700 million dollars.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

So, ran into medical problem with a class, they completely ignored and dismissed it. Wouldn't so any work around with me. Then later they lied to me about financial aid and taking a break. They wouldn't apply the aid how they had promised. I told them that I wouldn't be able to do the payment that way. In the middle of it all found out I have stage 4 cancer with a maxed of 3 yrs to live. I have emails saying they would disenroll and drop me but now I am getting collection calls from them. Very apathetic towards students and issues that come up. I wish I had never tried working with them. They are uncaring, money hungry and will lie to keep you interesting and waste what you have left of loans and financial aid there.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I am a 40+ returning student and previously tried another online program to complete my degree. I had an incredible undergraduate and graduate WGU experience. Any time I had a question I received a phone call from an instructor offering assistance. My mentor both times were fantastic! You truly can work at your own pace and the information pressed is relevant! My degree was directly related to my promotion. Finally, I achieved my goal of higher education!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

My Mentor was great. But as far as the teaching staff. All I can say is if you have a problem they will not help you. But the Mentor I had would try. The teaching staff can only teach the way they lecture. You ask for help in understanding and they can only recite the lecture back to you, so seriously they do not understand what they are teaching. "(Daaaa) I already heard that lecture, lets try another angle so I can understand".

One instructor will tell you one thing another in the same team will tell you another, none of them are on the same page yet it's your problem you're not understanding. Just a bunch of double talk while you're paying for this junk education they offer. Run from W.G.U.. Do not waste your money. IT IS A SCAM and they do not help you if you need help. They take your money and it's your fault you're not understanding their crappy assignments. I gave them one star only for the mentor I had who was fair and understanding. If I had a choice the entire university deserves ZERO STARS!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I went to log in to my student portal and this was the first site that appeared in my search. So... I read through a few of the comments and some seemed pretty unfortunate, so I'll share my story and maybe someone can relate. This university is the best thing that has happened to me. I attended three universities before WGU, and one being a community college where I graduated with an Associates in Business. I had three semesters I needed to finish and this is the only university that accepted all my CRAZY transfer credits and put me on track to where I needed to be. If you have ever transferred schools, you may know some of your paid credits get thrown out the window.

Anyway, I applied to a large university in my hometown and they said I needed at least two years to complete general courses I never took (courses only their university required). My Uncle had just recently graduated with his Masters from WGU, so I checked it out. Applied (WGU offers FREE applications), and got accepted. A counselor called me, explained the entire process of how WGU works and asked any questions I had. I had a mentor call me every week my first semester to help keep me on track, which is awesome because it was hard to change and put myself in charge of my own success.

At WGU you have to put in the work on your own, there's no syllabus, scheduled quizzes or tests, it's all personal choice of when and how you get the courses completed. Mentors are there to help give you tips of surviving each class, seriously, they're great. I also got a scholarship the first semester that is good for the three semesters I'll be attending. Also, I have been able to accelerate my courses to where my last semester I will be a part time student with only two courses left.

WGU has given me an affordable and empowering (in a way) option to finish my degree. I've traveled a lot more and have had a ton of freedom compared to other students. The degree is a piece of paper you've earned, and it will look the same as any others in an interview. And about the credibility issue, I pretty sure the government (FASFA) wouldn't give me any money (loans) if it weren't a non-accredited school. That's not really how it works.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I am a business management student at WGU. I have an associate degree from a community college. As a working adult, WGU has been perfect for me. The program is definitely challenging with each course getting progressively more difficult. I've read criticism regarding their absence of a letter grades. Their model is competency based and I have already had much success applying the knowledge I've obtained to my professional life. If you are just looking for a letter grade, this is not the school for you. However, if you seek real world skills and knowledge at a very affordable price, there is no other comparison. I have never worked so hard on an educational endeavor in my entire life, and it is definitely paying off!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

My name is Charma ** and I recently inquired about rn to bsn program. I have worked as an RN for about 28 years now and was excited to be enrolled into your nursing curriculum. I called today to speak with someone about financial services and was told I was not eligible for any money based on the FASFA results. My only option was to pay 1000.00 per month or get student loans for the remainder.

First of all let me say if I had the money for college I would be attending. I am almost 50 years old and wanted to get a better job in healthcare. I am a single woman that is currently $85,000.00 in debt to the great lakes for the cost of all my children’s college educations. (Parent Loans) I was told that I should start getting my student loans together or I could start applying for a very competitive scholarship programs that are available. I also felt the wheel of my education had completed stopped turning as soon as they realized I had no money for a further education.

This was very shocking to me especially after listening to my fellow colleagues who perform the same job as I do and they are bragging about getting free money in pell grants (50000.00 to be exact). I am very disappointed that the so called caring about my future from WGU just ended abruptly when they realized I had no money.

It's very interesting to me that so many people can lie to the government and get their educations paid for at the expense of the working poor, such as myself. Therefore since you don’t care about people, just money, I intend to let the people know just how corrupt the entire system is. I will be making some videos for Facebook and Youtube and let others decide for themselves. Thank you for allowing me to spend so much of my own time applying for something that I wasn’t able to afford. Thank you for denying me the education I deserve. Thank you for your commitment to serve the government and to get others like myself deeper and deeper in student loan debt.

Western Governors University Company Information