Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I attended Strayer, I believe from 1998 to 2005 (I believe) and was 4 credits short of my degree when I went to sign up for my last class. That is when the financial aid office informed me that I had no money left in my grant. That was the ONE AND ONLY TIME THEY HAD COMMUNICATED THIS TO ME. Financial Aid said I should have handled my money better but I was under the impression that I had enough to complete my full degree. Now I have an huge bill and no degree and can get no one to help me. I am a senior citizen and want to continue my education in West Virginia. Strayer is saying that I owe them $2000.00 and will not release my transcripts. I do not know what that money is for and get no one to speak to me about it. I now live on my Social Security and have this opportunity to continue my education.

Strayer University is a great school. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot using their online services. It's a great way to learn, very convenient and more at your pace than a traditional sit in the classroom type school. I really love how it's very hands on and descriptive about everything you do. It's a perfect way to school.

Enrolling at Strayer is pretty easy. All you really have to do is log into your account and go from there. You do need to make sure you have proper software and at least halfway decent internet though.Online programs can be very difficult depending on the degree you are going for. I find accounting and some business classes are better off in an actual classroom. But they make it easier. I wish there was a way to actually do an in person study group or something of that nature. Especially with some courses it's easier to talk it out with others and it can be challenging to convey what part confuses you over a computer rather than in person.

With Strayer University I just request information online, register on the website, choose the career to take, send the requirements and receive information on how to start. Then I receive study material and information references. I like their degree program, personal coach, campus and online, individual and group tutoring. As well as their master degree and personal treatment. There are great job opportunities, experience in the field of work, and schedule facilities. There is nothing in particular that I dislike, in general the process is easy and satisfactory, and meets my expectations. It is accessible for all people, fast and uncomplicated.

It is easy to engage and navigate. The courses are only helpful when you do the work. But it is very easy to pass the class without doing the readings or studies because a student can just use Google, Wiki or Youtube for information and I don’t like it. The student does not learn the details and how to’s by doing this and so missing crucial pieces of information. There is no way to ensure the student read or did the correct things to finish an assignment. I like however that we can work on our own time and watch the lessons whenever I am able to. No schedule that you have to adhere to, only deadlines. Also, there are lots of resources to reach out to for help. But it takes a lot of self discipline to stick to your studies because there is no one there to force you to put aside time for school.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

The whole process was very simple and painless from enrolling to each class 6 week period all the way to graduation. There is always someone to help you each step of the way. I really liked the fact that I was able to work and keep going to school at my time when I was able. Never needed to take off work or try and find a babysitter. Although some of the classes you have group work which is to help in getting you to work well with others but you have those who don’t really care and wait 2 hrs before deadline to turn in their portion of work.

The Strayer University has so many good features. It is very reliable, valuable, unique and different. The courses are very helpful for us. The enroll system fits us very well and would like to use it in the future. I also like the online program they provide because they get so many good positive reviews by the people who enrolled before me. In fact, there are no features I dislike about the online program. The process of enrolling and taking courses are very easy to engage with the online platform.

It was easy to enroll, and provided a platform for everyone to get education. I appreciated that the cost was reasonable and credits transferable. I find it easy to engage. The classes allowed for self-starters to take control of their education while still engaging in their own lives. It was difficult to be present when it felt like we had to be forced into discussion topics, even every discussion. However, there is something that could be improved upon. Perhaps providing more classes that aren't as structured upon the semester system. Perhaps it would be easier to engage with the class when it wasn't forced discussion topics that everyone had to participate in. I often found people copying and pasting or cheating-which wasn't helpful. Plus it's hard to engage when there isn't face time.

Strayer University offers efficient way of learning for a full time working mother like me. They offer various schedule to match up my schedule so I could balance up between work, home and school. They also have good educators and various major and I have learnt so much these 6 months. Besides that, the convenient Atlanta locations are very good for me. I am currently major in Accounting and most of the courses are very useful to improve quality of work for my company. The organizational skill I learnt from them is really an important subject to improve the organization I am in. I am getting better and more reliable. I am just hoping that we could have one on one chat, do Skype, Google or even build Stayer Facebook group with the professor and other students to discuss about study materials or the team project we currently working on.

It was a very simple process to enroll at Strayer University. But I didn't like that I had to provide my transcripts. Other institutions retrieved your transcripts for you saving everyone time. Other than that, the start dates are flexible once everything was filled out and submitted so I started classes two weeks later. I like the live seminars we have twice a week. They are archived and you can go back to re-watch them anytime. You also have the option to pick seminar days and times that fit your schedule. Pearson offers so many ways to interact with the book. I had one professor use features like multiple choice questions that when answered wrong you were given the book page to reference to. More activities ensure I am retaining the information I'm learning would be beneficial.

Enrolling was quite easy. You were assigned a mentor/coach who ensured you turned in all of the proper documents that were needed to complete the enrollment process and that you were always prepared for class. They also assist you when choosing the right course and amount. I like that the classes were smaller than a regular university and you are able to get one-on-one attention with the professor. The professor ensured that you had everything that was needed in order to pass the courses.

My experience with Strayer University has been remarkable. I am very happy having the freedom to study and do assignments at home or anywhere I choose. I also like being able to work full time without schooling issues and class times to meet. I never had an issue with staff, curriculum, financial aid, or non-cooperation from my success coach or any other entity within the community. I have encountered challenges while attending; however, any concern was addressed timely and professionally. I am proud to say that I am a Strayer University student, and I would recommend the university to any adult that is serious about obtaining higher education.

Their work study program is good for me because of work, being wife and having other obligations. Honestly it just worked out well. Even if it meant that it was going to take a little longer to achieve, I was still satisfied. I found it easy to engage in online classes. It was helpful to me as I was working full time and taking classes at the same time. It would have been much more difficult for me to obtain my degree otherwise. Overall I think their setup is easy enough that anyone should be able to follow the necessary steps need to enroll and get register to take classes online.

I applied online at Strayer University and classes are given in a virtual setting. The signing up process simply takes a few minutes to fill out the application. It is fun and convenient. I like the fact that I am able to work on my free times at the convenient of my own home. I don’t need to spend on gas or be stuck in traffic to get to school. It’s a fast pace environment to catch up with homeworks. I often find myself falling behind and due dates come pretty quick.

It was easy to enroll, take classes and testing. Online is the way to go if you have a full-time job and are not available to take classes during the day. The ease of study and flexible times at my choosing to study is what I like. At the beginning I thought online courses would be difficult but after trying them out I was amazed how it easy it was. The only thing I would change if I could would be to make it less expensive.

I like that I am able to do whatever I want online and that I am able to take my classes online and do whatever I want to do. I also love how quickly the professor responds to my inquiries and I love that I am able to do my course work easily on my own time without any problems. I sometimes dislike that I cannot go in person to get any help that I need on any assignments and not being able to interact with other classmates as well. But I do like that I do not have to travel that often. The traveling aspect makes me very sick. However, it can sometimes be difficult to engage with the online platform because it can be really boring sometimes. Sometimes we are staring at black and white screens all day and reading boring texts that I'm disinterested in. I really do not like this aspect. I also dislike the long hour of watching YT videos.

Easy to engage and enroll. There's flexibility to work when I wanted. Nice interaction with instructors and other students. Met my scheduling issues. However, I was lied to about help with term papers in the school learning center. The Teays Valley dean was obnoxious! Failed to keep the promise of local support and term paper editing and review. The dean should have been fired! A lack of local support. But wish I was still enrolled. I have not been able to finish my degree. Wish that I can!!! Without my masters I cannot do what I want!

I went to Kaplan University and the enrolling process was easy. Things were laid out for me in a very clear manner. I was asked what I was looking for in my future and was advised to start with a two year plan so I don't get burned out then to go back later for the next two years once I have had a chance to take a break. I was told that the concern is more about the students and their success because they are not successful if the students are not happy or successful.

I liked the online platform. It was easy to navigate and very intuitive. The courses were very helpful. I was amazed at how much information could be covered in 10 weeks; the idea was you learn as much as you want to learn. There's the rubric. It's up to you if you want to go above and beyond that. It made me disappointed at how little I learned in k-12. I was also amazed at how quickly 10 weeks could go by.

The professors are professional and personal, support was easy to come by be it for tutoring purposes or for finding material in the virtual library. But I wish the virtual library was easier to navigate. While I know I had an excellent education, well organized classes and great professors I wish the classes weren't so expensive. I would have loved to continue my education. I did choose my school and knew the cost, that is on me and I'm not complaining; I just enjoyed the classes so much I would have happily gone another two years if I could afford it.

It was very easy from starting the process to finishing the course. Phoenix maintains extensive, easy to access records and online interaction with their program is a joy to learn with. Very helpful! The feature most helpful was utilizing their online portal for easy access and communication. University of Phoenix has designed an extremely useful online component that is worth considering when looking into online courses. Follow-up as a previous student is easy for accessing records.

It is somewhat easy, a little time consuming but so are most worthwhile ventures. It is worth it, the education plans are worth it for a quality and competitive advantage in the world. I like that you can take class online at your own pace and the price is lower than a traditional college and I will be happy to see more from this university. You would have to change the stigma that somehow online college is lesser than big college institutions and I will not only be supported by the college I will feel proud.

Online platform is extremely easy if you have knowledge of computers, have taken classes before and know how to buckle down to get your work done without a school atmosphere but would not recommend to students that are young. They get distracted easily or not computer savvy. I like that I can take the classes anywhere, working well with my business travel and are often flexible for when you will have time to sit down and do them from week to week. Having to work in groups for projects can often be tricky as there are all different age groups, levels of experience (ie intelligence) and some think that because they hide behind that computer can treat others poorly without respect.

Strayer University is a top online and campus school. The courses they have there are phenomenal. There is financial aid for those who qualify. The teachers there are always pleasant and easy to work with. Although I would improve the financial aid aspect of this school. I personally did not have a problem but I had a friend who did. She said the financial aid department was very unorganized and lost an important piece of mail that she had turned into them. But that is really the only bad thing I have heard. It's very easy to enroll online and begin classes. It is a fairly simple set up. If you have questions there is always someone available to guide you along the way.

It is simple and easy to navigate and access the online platform anytime. I also enjoy that I am able to send emails to my professors and the teachers enjoy what they do. However, I dislike that it takes a while to contact my teacher or administrators when I have a question, buy materials for my classes and need help with my studies or make a payment on my classes. But when I am able to contact them, they are very helpful and willing to answer questions I have.

The enrolling process at Strayer University was straight forward and easy. Picking up courses, their availability and the online platform are all great although not being able to have a face to face interaction with the faculty and other students makes the experience slightly different. The online program allows me to stay at my current job while pursuing my education goals and getting a degree. I can take them from anywhere as long as I have access to internet so they are easy to take. I would like to see more science courses even though I understand that teaching science courses online might be challenging.

I have a 612.00 balance due. At the maximum amount it should Only be $200.00. I registered to attend Strayer University back in 2011. I'm 2 classes short of my associate's degree. I called & spoke with Marcus ** on October 8, 2016. I told him to withdraw me from the semester due to them not processing my information (financial aid) timely. I informed him that I would gladly attend the winter quarter, simply because that would give them plenty of time to finish. So that I would not have any problems.

This Representative told me that there would be No issues, just go to class that following Tuesday & my paperwork should be fully processed later that same week. I told him again that to be on the safe side, just go on & withdraw me, because he could be just saying that to me to reach his quota. He affirmed to me that he wasn't trying to reach a quota, but go on to class Tuesday. I made it to class when I got off from work & I also discussed the situation with my professor. Now at the end of the week my paperwork still wasn't processed appropriately. Therefore, I withdrew myself online. Now, the Strayer Thousand Oaks campus, at that time did not have a Campus Director. Therefore, I was told to speak with Amy **, regarding this $612.00 balance, who doesn't reside in the state of Tennessee. I met Amy ** @ the campus, and she told me that she would make the proper adjustment on my account, after she reviews it. So I signed up for my classes & was not able to start due to no adjustments on my account.

She later told me that it was Nothing that she could do, but she would allow my the payment to come from my student loans/financial aid. This was very unlawful. I informed her that student loans/financial aid isn't free money. It's strictly for my education. I asked her about the standards that they have for the student representatives misleading a student, for their personal gain. She informed me that there wasn't a standard. She gave me her supervisor's email address; **, I emailed her on January 4, 2017, & I never received a reply back. This was so unprofessional per the ENTIRE STAFF. But they truly do not care about the students, only about the money the get from us!!!! This was TRULY a disappointment for me! I WILL NOT EVER REFER ANYONE TO THIS SCHOOL! I've submitted student affairs help desk tickets, along with the business office, & all of them are still open since last year to the 4/21/2017... This is ridiculous.

My experience at this higher educational institution was phenomenal. Strayer University is absolutely what I would recommend to future change agents wanting to pursue and excel beyond anything that they could imagine. The online platform wasn't easy nor difficult but the process was fun, and the courses has been very helpful. Great curriculum, but once completed it takes FOREVER for them to send you your diploma.

I think Strayer is a great university. The counselors are super friendly and helpful. The process of enrolling and taking courses was basically very easy. All I had to do is send in my school transcript and from there on the counselors just kept in touch with me and helped me apply for financial funds to help pay for my education. They have great professors and the university is technology advanced. It is great to work with my goals and everyone is very friendly. I have made many new friends that are very kind and help me when I have questions and concerns on my assignments. Everything is just perfect for me. I love this university and I would recommend to all my family and friends.

Very Good University. I have an MBA from Strayer University. I read the reviews, most of them related to personal experience with the financial office, not the education quality. The school is very good, I liked the lectures, schedule flexibility, the warm environment, and the quality of the education courses and learning materials.

This schools financial aid is a joke. They know absolutely nothing about IRS tax law or filing taxes. They lie and say the department of education is requesting more information when the department of education states they have not requested anything at all. They request that you refile your taxes and LIE about your living situation to meet what they think you should put down. Sorry but I am not going to commit a federal crime to satisfy what Strayer thinks my tax return should say when it was filed 100% legally with CORRECT information. When I discussed this with the financial aid and told them if financial aid did not go through I would be looking for another school I was told they didn't care as they have 50,000 other students. They do not care about their students whatsoever, as long as they get money from you that is all they care about. Seriously find someplace else to attend.

Good for working adults. I began online classes at Strayer in January 2014 and graduated with my Bachelors in December 2016. The experience of returning to college after 27 years was filled with challenges. My participation with their internal social media echoed some of the reviews here: financial aid is a problem for some. I did not encounter any of the problems with financial aid (I prepared all documents on time, and when I had questions or concerns, a call to my local campus returned answers promptly). The instructors were either good or excellent; all online classes require a lot of papers to be written, and as with all college classes, there was a lot of reading assignments. This is college, after all. I would recommend Strayer to family or friends, noting to them there is a lot of work involved in pursuing a degree.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.
  • Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.
  • Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.
  • Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.
  • Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges