Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I would never in my life refer anyone to come to strayer university. When I first came to Strayer I was pumped and ready to begin my last journey at college with my master's and I'm sorry I ever came to this school. First admissions put me in the wrong course and still didn't rectify the problem until a week later only because I kept harassing them to do so. This semester will be over December 13 and I have yet to receive my financial aid because clearly upper management don't know with they are doing. I just got my bachelor's in August of 2016 and the only change was that I stop work study so they didn't even have much to do... So what the hell is the problem. The steps and processes are ridiculous and needs to be changed, but in the end I'm transferring to another college because I definitely can't deal with this ** fa real.

The main issue I have with Strayer University, is their trustworthiness. It seems that leaving out pertinent information is the norm with this business, and when it comes to financial aid, just forget about it! Strayer is definitely in the market for making money, more than what is required for an educational institution. They prey on mature working adults that desire a degree, an education and the opportunity to advance in life. They make it easy for working adults to see the so called benefits of their programs due to the fact that they have mastered online classes, which is a major plus for working adults, that normally do not work nine to five. However, just because you make getting a degree appear easy, it's actually more of an encumbrance when dealing with this institution.

My advice to anyone seeking an undergrad or graduate degree is to first apply at a community college, they've come a long way in terms of offering online courses and they are far less expensive. Once you've completed your liberal arts, then transfer to a four year college or university (a traditional brick and mortar), for your major and undergrad. Again the cost will be much less than attending Strayer, and many of these institutions are also offering online courses to appeal to the working adult. Lastly, if you are a high school senior that didn't do your due diligence during your four years of high school, now is not the time to compensate for your mistakes. You can still redeem yourself if you are now considering obtaining your degree. Read the above paragraph.

Admissions had no issues to start me in classes... however, at the end of the semester they tell me they need my driver's license and high school transcript. I provide it to them within 3 days, and they come back telling me that it's unacceptable as I made changes to it. Absolutely absurd... I forwarded them the email from the school. My transcript is from 1984 from a small school with 84 students in the class, everything was handwritten back then. Now they want to tell me my student loans are not going to go through. They need to start talking before actually registering people.

I went to this school for my Associate degree. I have enough credits for the degree with high honors (3.85 GPA). I never missed a quarter and always put in full effort. Things were fine until the final quarter when I was waiting for my final stipend check. When I never received it, I contacted them about it. I found out that they made a mistake and sent the funds that were meant to cover my current quarter as my stipend check the previous quarter. Due to this, my final quarter wasn't paid for. The financial advisor agreed with me that it wasn't my fault that this happened and I shouldn't be held responsible. No one took the time to contact me about the mistake, which I don't have proof but am pretty sure they knew about right away. To top it off, they didn't even request enough to cover the final quarter.

After several calls and fighting, nothing was resolved. They kept telling me that it was my responsibility to pay the money to fix their mistake. No matter who I spoke to, outside of the original financial advisor, I was constantly told it wasn't their fault and it was my responsibility to pay it back. After going back and forth with this, I finally get them to agree to allow me to enroll for my Bachelor's degree and use the stipend check to pay for their mistake. Well things go fine and I enroll.

When it came time for my stipend check to come in, it never came in. So I contact them again about it and find out that I was taking a class I had already taken, and that is why I wasn't being covered for that quarter. The reason for this is because they changed the name of the course and I didn't realize it was the same course, and the student advisor didn't bother telling me. At no point between then and my contacting them was I informed of the mistake. There was plenty of time for them to contact me about the mistake that would let me change courses. Instead they said nothing.

So yet again, they screwed up and again put it on me. I explained that we had agreed to use the stipend check to cover what was "owed" but because of the issue I wouldn't receive one. So I have the credits for an Associate Degree with high honors, but no degree to actually show for it. This school is a joke that will screw up and blame you for it.

This all started back in the Spring of 2015 when I first inquired about if I could obtain a second master's degree in accounting but in a different concentration. After some researching I was told from the registrar that there should not be a problem with me getting another degree under accounting with a different concentration. I checked with financial aid and found that I would be able to pay for the classes I need with the remaining student loans I was able to take from the Department of Education. I enrolled and completed the 5 courses within a year and a half. Here I am waiting for my Second Master's Degree to come in the mail. I have note the accomplishment on my resume and have sent this around to 100s of potential employers.

Today I get an email from the Dean of the Augusta, GA Campus. She stated to me that it is Strayer's Policy that getting a second master's degree in the same discipline as the first is not allowed. Reason for this is because there are too many classes that would transfer over and basically Strayer would lose money. The Dean stated to me that I could enroll in the MBA program and only had to take 6 more classes to obtain this degree. The kicker to all of this is because I took those 5 classes that I should not have been allowed to take in the first place and completed said courses they are trying to tell me that I now have to pay for this classes. I explained to the Dean that I would not have the extra debt if the registrar would have done her job in the first place and told me the truth and not allowed me to register. This new Dean thinks they did nothing wrong. I will not recommend Strayer University to anyone; even if they were training dogs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

I was in constant contact with the office in reference to my financial aid and registering for classes. Left at least 8 to 10 messages for two different individuals and sent emails but somehow when it came time for them to contact me back, they had the wrong phone number and email address on file. Even when I spoke with someone they never bothered to verify my contact information until I asked what information they had on file for me. Again, every time that I left a voicemail I made sure to leave a contact number and my signature on my emails have my phone number under it. Now it's too late to sign up for the fall semester and now I have to wait until January. Also, when I signed up for financial aid, I was told that there was no further information needed but somehow I'm not getting a refund because something is "needed" but no one has been in contact with me to tell me what is needed. I'm so disappointed!

I worked as an Admissions Officer for one of Strayer's local campuses in the early 2000's. At that time, my job was to explain the school, gain transcripts from the students for verification of past education, and to help them understand the process. That may have also included passing the students on to the Financial Aid process.

For some students, employers were helping to pay the bills, as were some government benefits earned by the student. Strayer tried to recognize past educational work history to give credit... where fewer other schools may have done so. That may have included basic subjects like Math and English. If some IT classes were outdated, we would make that determination upfront, prior to admitting the student. We also explained CLEP, and how to achieve credits, once those goals were achieved by the student.

The professors and staff I knew at our local campus, basically cared about those students at that time. I cared about trying to explain our admissions process, to the best of my abilities. Our FA staff was very knowledgeable. Some folks may not have realized the cost, but they should have with our FA staff at my local campus at that time. What I can tell you is this is a business! It is a for-profit school. It was set up primarily for working adults, and many have succeeded to gain BS and Master Degrees. The professors I knew at our local campus worked hard to help several, where many would have failed, otherwise.

Please consider your various options to see if this school is the right fit for you. It can be expensive, and you may want to consider our community colleges first. Strayer will try to transfer as many of your former credits as possible. At least they did back in the early 2000's. Outdated IT classes may not transfer credit since the field changes so quickly. Obtain that determination upfront. As a former Admissions Counselor (I think they may now them Life Coaches), our job was to try to admit as many students as possible, as long as their transcripts passed and so they had a way to pay for the classes. I was paid a salary, no commissions. I left because I felt it was a racket, even though I enjoyed many of the students and our faculty.

Stayer can work well for some, I knew several great Professors, but if you apply... you need to work hard to gain the degree and read the details in everything you have signed. I was amazed at a couple students I enrolled! When they came in my office with some of the issues they had been dealing with in their personal lives... a couple years later... they obtained their degree! It made a difference in their lives, I felt proud to have been part of it... just do your homework!

Funny you have success coaches, but they never call. Only time I got a quick response was when I decided to withdraw. Financial aid counselors who instead of counseling, blow their steam off on innocent students, and student complaints that get routed back to the person you initially filed it on. No one's on the same page at the columbia sc campus and their only interest is to get you excited to start school on a partially legit basis then have you find out later in the quarter you're not eligible for FA. After busting you butt in a class already. And now I have a balance because I was administratively dropped by a teacher who didn't keep adequate roll. Which I think was a set up to have me pay since I wanted to leave. Terrible experience!!

There's no one to complain to because everyone keeps you in a loop. I still have yet to understand why the financial aid counselor I went back and forth with, is the same person telling me my admission couldn't be satisfied, answered a complaint I filed on her, and is the one processing my withdrawal now that I've decided to leave because she works in the business office as well! What kind of internal conspiracy is that!!! Sad that I had to mention I was a disabled veteran in order to get talked to in a respectful manner. Maybe the experiences vary from campus to campus, but this one should be avoided.

Strayer University is awful. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL! If you have a problem, you will be given the runaround. Your instructor will not call you back or respond to your emails. Do not take a class with **. He basically said, "I am the instructor. You are the student. Do it my way or flunk the course." The Dean, the Vice President of Student Affairs, and the President of the Institution were no help. The "success" coach you are assigned is a joke. Do not go into debt trying to get a degree from this joint. The institution is laughable, at best.

After reading the many reviews from the last couple of years; I was APPALLED to see such unsatisfied ratings. As an alumni student for both my Bachelor's and Master's degree in 2006 and 2011, Strayer University provided me with good services! From my financial aid to knowledgeable instructors, there were very minimal issues that I experienced. Is there any official monitoring these reviews to work towards improving these complaints generally by students who are paying their money (loan money is student money because it must be paid back)? I am preparing my young adult daughter who recently graduated from High School to attend Strayer and certainly WOULD NOT want her first experience to be a BAD one!

I have met some great people and great professors while completing my Masters degree with Strayer. Unfortunately, I had an instructor. Charles ** that completely disregarded any communication or attempts to assist with my classwork. I included the Dean and my Campus and several other students. Created tickets explaining the lack of correct grading and communication or lack thereof with this professor. I implore you to steer clear of this instructor and UNDERSTAND that Strayer will NOT help if an instructor gives you an erroneous grade. You can have as much evidence and show that you did the right thing, and no one, not even the Dean can help. This is coming from a career 4.0 student with a tremendously hard work ethic. Steer clear of his class and attend this university at your own risk. But keep in mind they sure did not say anything about getting paid for the same class twice. Smh.

I have attend Strayer for three years. My experience have been great and the people at the NRC was super. Erica ** my success coach has guided me and I can truly say the plan she put in place worked. She informed at end of the last quarter that I have satisfied the requirement for my associate degree and if I want to get it what I have to do even I am still pursuing my Bachelor's degree. I went paid the fee and was told it take four to six weeks for my degree to arrive at my home. This was done on July 6, 2016 and on yesterday July 23, 2016 my degree arrive at my home. She also told me I have a right to attend a Graduation and I should to celebrate the hard work that been put to obtain my Associate degree.

I am happy to report I will attend the graduation ceremony in December. Here is the real happy part of the story, July 16,2016 I celebrated my sixty birthday and on July 23, 2016 I celebrate my first degree. Thanks to Erica, Kim, Star and others at the NRC for encouraging me, motivating me, and helping me to keep believing in myself. It just prove you are never too old to accomplish what you set your mind on.

Strayer University is the worse school in america!!! I highly recommend anyone who is looking into different schools to further your education please do not attend Strayer... The faculty is very unprofessional & can be very rude & it's a crying shame how unorganized they are & when it comes to your financial aid they will put a hold on you... I had this problem & still in the process now of everything being cleared because 2 months prior to me starting school the documents they claim I need now were needed 2 months ago!!! Why wait until I get in my 3rd week of school to tell me this & now I have a hold on my account because the faculty not doing their job properly? After this semester I will be transferring to a better school!!!

I am suppose to graduate in the Fall of this year 2016. I was approved by the Department of Education for the full amount of my loans. Well needless to say I received an email of the disbursements that I was approved for, but I logged into my account and seen that Strayer's Financial Department had 'Prorated' my amount. They didn't notify me on this situation so I called the Department of ED and they told me "This is not our policy." It was the school who I would need to notify, so I did spoke with at least five people regarding this dilemma. When I asked, 'What will happened to the money that was prorated?' They stated, 'It will be as if you didn't use it.' HUH? I will pursue my Bachelor's and hopefully my Master's. This will not stop me, but I will not pursue at Strayer. That is a fact. THANK YOU STRAYER FOR THIS. LESSON LEARNED.

I registered for class. After finding out that I didn't have enough FA to go to school and that I had to pay out of pocket I asked to be withdrawn from the school and the class. Needless to say they never withdrew me and someone logged into the class under me for a whole 8 days. I went back in to review my tickets that I created way last summer in order to prove that I asked for my funding to be sent back and showing that I asked them to explain how I could get charged for a class that I never attended and the tickets have all been deleted by Strayer. I contacted the Campus Director Jean and she informed me that I went to class for at least 8 days and that made me go pass the quarter of withdrawn so they are charging my $920 and they are holding my transcripts and is causing me not to be able to attend another school. I have yet to hear back from her and like I told her I don't know who went to class under my name but it was not me.

I never logged into the class because I knew I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket. I asked her what was done in the class, was there any work done or anything, was there any questions answered by me which I know could not have been possible because I never logged into the class when the class started. Strayer is nothing but a rip off. Stay far far away.

Attending the MBA program online and it's been nothing but trouble since the very beginning. Now that I have less than 3 classes to graduation, the financial aid department informs me that my funds are on hold for review. Fine, no problem. I waited the full week as instructed and still saw no change. I call the office and was informed that the funds were still being "worked out." Long story short, my funds had been cut substantially compared to the past semesters. I was lied to several times before I got a straight answer.

Now I'm at the end of my studies and probably won't graduate. 40k down the drain with nothing to show for it. I'm 28 years old with so much student debt and nowhere near the income to pay it back. Just got laid off from an 18/hr job. Times are tough and I hate Strayer, administrators and anyone else affiliated with that crooked school. Like, my life is ruined. Don't be surprised if you see me begging on the streets for money because that's clearly where my life is headed...

I had some family trouble and wasn't able to continue with school. My intentions were to withdraw and preserve my GPA and get back into classes as soon as possible, needless to say life had other plans. I had to leave school, being a single mother all while working and helping to support a father who had just suffered a stroke. It goes without saying, not on purpose, but my loans went into default. So I call them and say "hey what do I do to get back in good standing so I can complete my education??" The customer service lady says "set up a small payment plan is all you got to do." Just nine consecutive payments and bam you can go for funding!! Liar, liar, pants on fire. Now I owe more money (wth!!!) to financial AID. Now someone tell me what to do!!

I have been attempting to obtain my transcripts from Strayer to attend another University for my Masters. Much to my surprise, Strayer is holding my transcripts claiming that I still owe them money. I have been out of school for six years!!! If I owed you money, why am I now only hearing something about it??? Strayer received over $60000 from me and financial aid...hmmm. I'm warning all to stay away from this school. They are nothing but a bunch of scammers and want nothing but your money! I am so very disappointed in Strayer for this and they should be ashamed of themselves!

If you have the Post 9/11 GI Bill Run for your life! I attended school for about 3 weeks and applied 2 months before I started. Strayer would not send my information to the certifying official at the VA, no matter that I sent the necessary paperwork in advance to the VA. They wanted me to send them my paperwork and THEN they would contact the VA. That's not how it works. I don't think they even have a certifying official. I dropped out via email (the local campus shut down that was when I started catching on to this school). I dropped before the last day and they still charged me around $2500. It hit my credit report. I've saved my emails to the school and they haven't really helped me get out of this situation. If there is a class action lawsuit I need to get in on it. This school is super shady.

I enrolled in this university. Before classes started I requested to be dropped. They refused to drop me and told me I needed to contact my instructor. I contacted my instructors via Blackboard. After I got no response in a timely manner through email they told me that since I entered into Blackboard I was not drop from the classes and they are holding my transcript for nonpayment on an account but I have financial aid. Why do I always Strayer?

I thought about enrolling here but throughout the enrollment process something very fishy. I was transferring from a top tier University which was too expensive to continue attending. After getting through the "application" process something seemed very strange to me that they needed me to test into English and Math curriculum despite my already taking and passing these classes at another University. I made mention of this and then was told to fax over a copy of my high school diploma; I did but asked, "Did you review my college transcripts?" The response, "No we do not need them yet. You're accepted. Congratulations."

I found this odd since normally, when applying as a transfer student the intended University generally wants to see how you have been performing elsewhere and if up to standards, then they would need to evaluate your previous coursework so they know how many credits are being transferred, how many you need to graduate and then plan your academic plan around this.

I decided not to enroll and communicated all of this by way of email which I have printed and saved. A few days later, miraculously, my transcripts were received and all of my credits were going to transfer! Yay! Again, I found this quite sketchy. I took a lot of architecture and construction management classes since that was my previous major and when applying to Strayer I was simply going to get a basic business degree. I questioned how architecture translates into business and I was told, "It is coursework, it just counts." Again, feeling quite uneasy, I declined to enroll, thanked the admissions counselor for her assistance and to close out my file.

A few days go by and someone else starts calling me and badgering me about enrolling. I maintained by stance until I was passed over for a promotion. I decided to call this new guy back and said "Let's complete the enrollment process." He sent me directions and I was to complete the process. Now this is where things get interesting!!!

I was never able to log in. I called tech support and they kept resetting my account and kept sending me passwords and none of them ever worked. I believed the universe was trying to tell me something so after a week if attempting to log in, calling their support center and never being able to log in, I decided to stick with my original plan and NOT to enroll. I emailed the guy and told him as much and he instantly followed up with a phone call. He started calling people, conferencing in others and voila I was in my student account where I was to complete the enrollment forms. I then asked to speak with someone in Financial Aid. He transferred me and I talked to this nice woman who worked up a plan and in less than one year I would have my BA in Business.

I was to say the least very excited. I then thought, how is this possible? I am only a Sophomore at my current school, how in less than one year and I going to graduate with a four-year degree? The woman realized her mistake, repopulated her program and it would take me about three years. We then discussed numbers and we realized, I was maxed out with financial aid. Since two years at my previous school cost me about 55K and the final three at Strayer was going to cost the same, I would need to come up with alternative means to fund my education.

I told her that simply was not an option and that I was not going to spend the same amount to attend this "university" as I was attending a top rated university. I then thanked her and hung up. I immediately followed up this with an email to the admissions counselor. I explained everything to him and that I could not fund my education therefore I would not be attending. He responds that I should take out personal loans, apply for grants and ask my company to reimburse me. I explained that I made too much to qualify for any grants, I was NOT going to take out any personal loans to fund my education and my company does not offer tuition reimbursement. He kept reply that it was imperative that I find alternative funding sources and classes were starting and I needed to finish my enrollment if I hoped to attend.

I wrote a final email and copied every person who I had ever talked to on the phone or emailed. I told them all that I was not enrolling and to please never contact me again. Within 30 minutes, I started receiving emails alerting me to sign my enrollment forms to complete the process. Now these little emails have an accept and reject button; accept to open and sign the documents and reject to refuse them. I clicked reject to every single form that was emailed to me. I heard nothing, but kept receiving emails from a professor with work coursework assignments. I emailed her and stated that I never enrolled into her class, I never logged onto her class and I never completed the enrollment process to attend classes. She did not respond but the emails finally stopped.

Then Monday, February 22, 2016, I get an email stating that my account is past due and I need to make payment immediately. I called, spoke to someone and they stated that I attended classes for one week and I owed $309.00. I told her that I never enrolled in class, I never logged onto the class and I have emails backing up all of this. The woman stated that I would need to speak with my local campus. I also asked why I never received a bill in the mail or any other notification that I had a past due balance on my account. She stated that bills are sent to my student account and since I do not have a home address this is the only way they could communicate with me. You may recall, I never logged onto anything and once again, how does a university accept someone who does not have an address? You cannot even get financial aid without some sort of mailing address.

I called and I have left five messages for someone to call me back. Today, Thursday, February 25th, I called the toll free number and spoke to someone in the call center who stated that there were notes in my account that claimed they advised me of fees for dropping classes after attending. I explained the representative I never enrolled, logged on to any class, never signed any enrollment forms and I have all of this in email to back this up. He was shocked and advised me to call the director of the campus to discuss since this was a dispute.

I left a message for the director who was conveniently on a conference call. I briefly explained the nature of my call and asked that someone please call me back today. The response, "I will give him the message but I do not control who he calls back." Seriously??? So, as I write this, I am patiently waiting for my callback. I am going to give until 2:00 PM and then call back again. Lesson learned, if you read nothing but bad reviews about a business; listen!! This "university" is absolutely despicable and if it is truly accredited, it should lose its accreditation.

I am homeless and I don't have any financial aid to make it to school. I overdraft on my account several times just to catch the train to attend class. I slept outside for many nights after attending classes from 6pm to 10pm. I am a 4.0 student, and I refuse to allow my academic transcripts to reflect a bad grade due to the inability of Strayer University to disburse my financial aid payments and refunds and a timely and reasonable manner. You have already received my grant funding but the Department of Education has already informed me that Strayer University would need to fill out the deferment letter showing that I am attending classes there. Your staff representatives have already informed me via voicemail message that they have made a departmental error with respect to my 2014 transcripts, Independent verification form, Entrance Counseling, and Master Promissory Note.

It is standard procedure within your university policies to disburse financial aid in 30 days for new students. However, you have failed to uphold your own policies and still have me on a conditional enrollment hold. Therefore, I do not owe your school any money because you never informed the Department of Education that I was even a student at your school. I used to process FAFSA documents for students, so I am well aware about how the system works. This University has attempted to steal my federal financial aid money and I am putting you on notice pursuant to the federal administrative laws and other applicable laws, that a commencement action and lawsuit will be initiated. My major is criminal justice, but I would have never thought that I would be a victim of injustice at the hands of university professionals that I trusted with my financial aid and education for a better, more secure future.

I have been attending Strayer for about 2 years now and when it comes to my grades, I am still maintaining a 4.0. The issues come into play when it come to Financial Aid. I have never dealt with people who can't tell you what is going on with your finances. It has even at one point taken me 2 1/2 to receive my refund and I was already into another term. I don't understand how a school can do this and then feel like they don't have to give you an explanation. In all reality the students are the ones that have to pay this money back but yet they treat it like they have to pay it back. Had I know this was going to be a continuing issue when I am always told it will never happen again I would have been left. I will be transferring to a better university when this term is over. This school seems to bring the student down instead of helping them. When it comes to my academic counselor I have not heard from her since my first week. (Not surprising!)

Strayer has been giving me the same runaround with my financial aid. I have given them everything they needed for 3 semesters. Yet, now they are saying I owe money. Wow. If anyone on here have advice for me and how to get this resolve please let me know. This school is no good. Someone keeps sending messages on the message box on my iCampus, I keep asking their information and they fail to give it to me but they keep giving me a difficult time with getting my Pell Grant. Seems mighty weird to me. I need help with getting this school in trouble.

I would highly recommend Strayer University. The registration process was very easy, and I worked with one of the entrance counselors to make sure I had everything I needed. I'm currently attending the San Antonio, TX campus and everyone who helped me get enrolled and on the right path was great! I have had no issues with financial aid or the Strayer billing department. In fact, it went so smoothly that I sent an email just to make sure everything was in place because of all the negative comments I read about the financial department.

I am maintaining a 4.0 GPA, and I enjoy the classes. Unfortunately, I can see how people can fail the classes even when they think they are doing all the required work. The instructors are very clear on how they want the discussion questions and assignments to be answered. If you need more help understanding the grading system, the assignment Rubrics are CLEARLY posted in the student center of each course. So if the professor posts a discussion/assignment and you don't use proper grammar, punctuation, or structure the assignment in the way they have asked you lose points. Duh!

The point is not to simply "show up", but to attend class, thoroughly read, and follow the instructions. If you post something like "I ain't got no..." vs "I don't have any..." you are going to be graded accordingly. You would think that would be a given, but I can't tell you how many times I see this in the weekly discussions, and then that person gets upset when they don't receive the grade they expected. At any rate, so far I've had a WONDERFUL experience with Strayer, and I recently met someone who earned her degree through Strayer and had nothing but good experiences as well.

Strayer University has become a racket and scam. They just put in a loan to the federal government and had money distributed to them under my name. I never authorized them to do this and never attended this so called school.

Simple... You get out of it = What you put into it!!! If you want to learn the subject matter, you are supported by knowledgeable instructors that have extremely impressive resumes. (PERSONAL IMPRESSION) It is almost like the instructors are working with the pretense that all students should pass (Good customer service, right?) but, every instructor was more than willing to instill the subject matter to the students that wanted to walk away with the information that they needed.

I did feel and had confirmed, more than once that most of the instructors were not prepared for the first class of the quarter... Some didn't even know the classes they would teach until they arrived on campus that very evening. I did prefer the 5 papers of 6-8 pages each as the course grade rather than tests. Online classes can be tricky for the first week or two but if you remain calm and expect to be a bit lost you will be ok. The professors give you their phone numbers and are always willing to explain. I could go on and on but just read my first sentence.

I recently graduated Oct 2015 from Strayer U. I used my GI Bill for Strayer U which paid for my diploma fee on October 1st. I was informed that it normally takes about 6 weeks to receive. I really did not have any issues with Strayer U and I had a good experience there in most cases and expressed the good deeds as well. This situation with the diploma is ridiculous and as I contacted SU the first time was told that "Yes, I see your diploma was order/submitted (whichever term you want to use) on October 1st and it'll take 4 to 6 weeks from October 1st. Fine. I waited until the day before the last day of that 6-week process and called back and the service center at SU stated that I have one day until my 6 weeks is up which was a Thursday and was told if I do not get it the following day (Friday) to call back.

I called the following week, the following Tuesday because it still have not came. I spoke with another service center rep at SU and she actually emailed Academic Records on my behalf and CC me on that email, but no response so I called back 2 days later and another service center rep, after updating him on what I'd already encountered and states that it normally takes 6 to 8 weeks... I was already in my 7th week and was told it takes 4 to 6 weeks and now it's 6 to 8 weeks (wow). Of course, I did not get off the phone as swiftly and just accept that answer so I asked if he can provide a update for me... (Shout out to Jason - the service center rep at SU because he found out more details than the others.) After being on hold for a while he came back stating that there was a "Hiccup" with my account which was on Strayer, stating that I had a balance on my account (which I did not) and that's why my diploma was not sent out.

Confusing because I only have one record that Strayer can access that should be the same for everyone who has access to it. How is it that one person is telling me it was sent and another is showing that it was processed and now academic records and stating there's a hiccup (whatever that mean)? Rep told me that Academics has fix the so-called Hiccup and will email a tracking number. I guess I have to wait another 4 to 6 weeks or is it 6 to 8 weeks... I'm confused. (shout-out to Roswell, GA campus) I don't even want to go into my Transcript issue (smh). I give 1 star for this Diploma issue but 4 stars to Roswell Campus Staff.

After my experience with Strayer I should have gone to a school locally, but because of my work schedule and other circumstances I stayed. Financial aid is totally messed up. I received a refund of 7,665.00, that is right. And I inquired about this refund twice and was told by Strayer financial aid office that I had funding left for two more class which is what I need to graduate. Now I am told that I owe Strayer 3,457 dollars from the Spring semester, which the refund came from. Question, why would you not take out what was owed out of the refund, and wait until the winter semester to say I owe so much money, really? And the sad part is it is blamed on the board of education. HA! That is a good one. Students beware and when you call to talk to someone they are so negative.

I am a student who recently obtained my Associates working towards a Bachelors in Business. This last semester after twice speaking to staff to be ready for upcoming classes, was told I was ready to go/enrolled. I went to start classes and was told I was not enrolled, called staff at Strayer back to see why I wasn't enrolled and was told because I never enrolled. I had to go through the enrollment process all over again for the third time, putting me a week behind in my classes. They are really good about throwing wrenches in your career goals. Is it purposefully? I don't think so, but these kinds of mistakes cannot be tolerated when it can mean the difference between an A or a B in your classes/education.

I think they test/try your patience to the maximum, I have been in tears many times due to them stressing me out and throwing wrenches into my studies. I shopped around, but found many of the schools are having the same problems. Get off your asses and do your jobs. And you wonder why you're not getting that promotion and crying? You deserve it. Well, I am a business owner and it is sickening to see and hear how many of their employees cry "more money" but don't want to work for that money. Really? No, really, this is their perspective in their jobs. Learn your jobs and do them, and that is what will get you that promotion.

Playing is tearing down any business and to expect or wait for a raise that never comes and then cry, "this place sucks," when you actually suck as an employee. I never get a returned phone call from my success coach and have asked for a new one and this one is no better, if not worse, and the I am sorries is already old when they know full well this was an intentional mistake not an honest one due to not following through and doing their jobs. And where is upper management who is supposed to be catching these idiot who passively think when they caused you so much stress and hurt your education, should be patted on the back for it.

They make you look like an idiot, pretending they know what they are doing and yet do nothing but wait for you to call someone else who will do it. That may take four or five phone calls back to get different people in hopes you caught that one who actually feels like doing their job that day. No exaggeration. A friend told me this was a set-up-to-fail system when I let him take a look at my classes and see what he thought about it. I went into my education excited and now am stressed to the max and in tears but am plunging on.

And if anyone is dropping out, it is because they cracked under the stress and lack of support of the staff. The classes are repetitive and contradicting to each other, I have had three course that is the same material, just put a different name on the book. I think they do this to make more money and keep you in school longer. The staff is the biggest issue. We all go into this loving learning and the material is not the issue for the most part, it is the staff who once don't do their jobs and pass you to other people until you get someone who actually is having a day that they feel like working.

Once again, the I am sorries are sickening and don't cut it with me, when you are costing me more money and the danger of having to repeat a class due to your laziness. Forget about raises for this staff, it is not justified. So I hope they are reading this because all of you have come across to me as being so incompetent of doing anything without some holding your hands or screaming down your throats, which is justified. I am a business owner and well, better be glad I am not your boss, because there are many people standing in line for your jobs and you would be fired on the spot since you're burning up my wallet and tearing down a business that you want to pay you for doing nothing all day.

Get your heads out of your... If you can fill in the blank, don't tell me I am being too harsh, because what they're doing isn't working so maybe this will, when you're being told straight up instead of being patted on the back and rewarded for your laziness. The tech department is great, but they need to stop changing things in the middle of classes and wait until the break, because that hurts a student grades as well. Why do you not know this? The passing the buck doesn't cut it with me either. It is your job, not theirs. I am furious at the lackadaisical approach to a student's needing to being well prepared for classes and would think they would get that.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.
  • Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.
  • Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.
  • Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.
  • Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges