3.64/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Strayer University

Founded in 1892, Strayer University is a private, higher education institution which specializes in degree programs for working adults. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and offers undergraduate and graduate degrees at over 90 campuses in more than 20 U.S. states and online. If you are a student seeking assistance, please contact us at getanswers@strayer.edu.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 9, 2017

409 Strayer University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I finished my Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice at the end of March 2017! I graduated in Charlotte at the end of July as valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA. While I was a student at Strayer, I had some wonderful professors and awesome staff and faculty at my campus which is part of the reason my undergraduate program was such a success. Getting involved in clubs and being a blogger on iCampus helped me interact with students. I loved Strayer and highly recommend them to anyone who is thinking about going back to school and needs the flexibility they offer.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Overall, this school has been great. I've been a part-time student for several years now and have seen how Strayer continues to improve and upgrade the user experience. The registration process, book purchases, and other services have become very efficient. I can register, buy books and be enrolled just by following the steps on the website. The classes have varying degrees of difficulty. I have found some classes to be incredibly easy, while others required me to spend 15 to 20 hours a week to complete the weekly assignments.

Like every other college, it is only as good as the effort you put into it. To those that say that companies do not acknowledge this school as a credible school, they are simply wrong. My employer pays for my classes and only do so because of the accreditation. Many schools didn't make the cut. I chose Strayer because of the Information Technology classes that they offered. These classes have already helped me get a promotion, and my employer has made plans to get me into the Software Development group.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Taking my last 3 classes this coming October to finish up my Bachelor's. I definitely recommend Strayer to my peers, it's a great institution to further your education. Teachers do a great of working with you to help you achieve your goals.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Strayer University online classes gave me an opportunity to work towards my Bachelor's degree as well as grow professionally and personally. I was able to take classes while still keeping a full time job and taking care of my baby. The staff at the University was always friendly and helpful, checking in and providing answers whenever they arise.

They were also very understanding and supportive when consulting about my education issues - I finished high-school and several years of college in Europe - they provided me with the information necessary to be able to proceed with enrollment and helped finding the best solution to obtain documentation that was needed. I have only positive feelings for the administration and enrollment assisting staff for being open and straightforward with my situation. Classes are very informative and beneficial - I learn more every week and have an opportunity to push myself further and closer to my goal every semester.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been very happy with my experience with Strayer. I take both online and on campus classes each semester. I've been attending for a year and had credits transfer from community college I had taken many years ago. I am utilizing the G.I. Bill and keep on top of the finances each semester so I will not be caught off guard. The instructors that I have are all professionals in the field that they are teaching and knowledgeable about the subject matter. I work hard for my grades and keep aware to turn in assignments on time, if not early. I still have 2 years to go to finish my bachelor's degree, but I may accelerate that a little by testing out of a couple classes. I am optimistic that with diligence on my part, the rest of my time will be more than worthwhile.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Strayer University?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have tried other colleges as an adult learner, and none seem to be a perfect fit. Then, I enrolled in Strayer and it was perfect. The enrollment process was a breeze and the staff is very hands on. I began my journey with Strayer by attending one campus class and an online class. All professors were so helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make sure students understand the material and pass the classes. They provided supplemental instruction time when needed and were only a phone call, text message, or email away.

Even the Dean of the local campus interacted with students. I was even able to sit down with her and go over my career goal and she help me decide to change my focus to something that was going to be more beneficial to what my goal was. I absolutely love Strayer and would recommend all my family and friends to attend. Currently, I even have two daughters that attend Strayer as well and they love the flexibility of the online learning. It is an accredited college and the best choice I have made to finish off my education.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Major firms do not recognize a degree from this school. If you try to transfer to another business school, the school will not recognize any credits you have from Strayer. It is a degree that costs a lot of money and is worthless when it comes to getting you a job.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I attended Strayer, I believe from 1998 to 2005 (I believe) and was 4 credits short of my degree when I went to sign up for my last class. That is when the financial aid office informed me that I had no money left in my grant. That was the ONE AND ONLY TIME THEY HAD COMMUNICATED THIS TO ME. Financial Aid said I should have handled my money better but I was under the impression that I had enough to complete my full degree. Now I have an huge bill and no degree and can get no one to help me. I am a senior citizen and want to continue my education in West Virginia. Strayer is saying that I owe them $2000.00 and will not release my transcripts. I do not know what that money is for and get no one to speak to me about it. I now live on my Social Security and have this opportunity to continue my education.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Strayer University is a great school. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot using their online services. It's a great way to learn, very convenient and more at your pace than a traditional sit in the classroom type school. I really love how it's very hands on and descriptive about everything you do. It's a perfect way to school.

Original review: May 11, 2017

Enrolling at Strayer is pretty easy. All you really have to do is log into your account and go from there. You do need to make sure you have proper software and at least halfway decent internet though.Online programs can be very difficult depending on the degree you are going for. I find accounting and some business classes are better off in an actual classroom. But they make it easier. I wish there was a way to actually do an in person study group or something of that nature. Especially with some courses it's easier to talk it out with others and it can be challenging to convey what part confuses you over a computer rather than in person.

Original review: May 10, 2017

With Strayer University I just request information online, register on the website, choose the career to take, send the requirements and receive information on how to start. Then I receive study material and information references. I like their degree program, personal coach, campus and online, individual and group tutoring. As well as their master degree and personal treatment. There are great job opportunities, experience in the field of work, and schedule facilities. There is nothing in particular that I dislike, in general the process is easy and satisfactory, and meets my expectations. It is accessible for all people, fast and uncomplicated.

Original review: May 10, 2017

It is easy to engage and navigate. The courses are only helpful when you do the work. But it is very easy to pass the class without doing the readings or studies because a student can just use Google, Wiki or Youtube for information and I don’t like it. The student does not learn the details and how to’s by doing this and so missing crucial pieces of information. There is no way to ensure the student read or did the correct things to finish an assignment. I like however that we can work on our own time and watch the lessons whenever I am able to. No schedule that you have to adhere to, only deadlines. Also, there are lots of resources to reach out to for help. But it takes a lot of self discipline to stick to your studies because there is no one there to force you to put aside time for school.

Original review: May 9, 2017

The whole process was very simple and painless from enrolling to each class 6 week period all the way to graduation. There is always someone to help you each step of the way. I really liked the fact that I was able to work and keep going to school at my time when I was able. Never needed to take off work or try and find a babysitter. Although some of the classes you have group work which is to help in getting you to work well with others but you have those who don’t really care and wait 2 hrs before deadline to turn in their portion of work.

Original review: May 9, 2017

The Strayer University has so many good features. It is very reliable, valuable, unique and different. The courses are very helpful for us. The enroll system fits us very well and would like to use it in the future. I also like the online program they provide because they get so many good positive reviews by the people who enrolled before me. In fact, there are no features I dislike about the online program. The process of enrolling and taking courses are very easy to engage with the online platform.

Original review: May 8, 2017

It was easy to enroll, and provided a platform for everyone to get education. I appreciated that the cost was reasonable and credits transferable. I find it easy to engage. The classes allowed for self-starters to take control of their education while still engaging in their own lives. It was difficult to be present when it felt like we had to be forced into discussion topics, even every discussion. However, there is something that could be improved upon. Perhaps providing more classes that aren't as structured upon the semester system. Perhaps it would be easier to engage with the class when it wasn't forced discussion topics that everyone had to participate in. I often found people copying and pasting or cheating-which wasn't helpful. Plus it's hard to engage when there isn't face time.

Original review: May 7, 2017

Strayer University offers efficient way of learning for a full time working mother like me. They offer various schedule to match up my schedule so I could balance up between work, home and school. They also have good educators and various major and I have learnt so much these 6 months. Besides that, the convenient Atlanta locations are very good for me. I am currently major in Accounting and most of the courses are very useful to improve quality of work for my company. The organizational skill I learnt from them is really an important subject to improve the organization I am in. I am getting better and more reliable. I am just hoping that we could have one on one chat, do Skype, Google or even build Stayer Facebook group with the professor and other students to discuss about study materials or the team project we currently working on.

Original review: May 7, 2017

It was a very simple process to enroll at Strayer University. But I didn't like that I had to provide my transcripts. Other institutions retrieved your transcripts for you saving everyone time. Other than that, the start dates are flexible once everything was filled out and submitted so I started classes two weeks later. I like the live seminars we have twice a week. They are archived and you can go back to re-watch them anytime. You also have the option to pick seminar days and times that fit your schedule. Pearson offers so many ways to interact with the book. I had one professor use features like multiple choice questions that when answered wrong you were given the book page to reference to. More activities ensure I am retaining the information I'm learning would be beneficial.

Original review: May 6, 2017

Enrolling was quite easy. You were assigned a mentor/coach who ensured you turned in all of the proper documents that were needed to complete the enrollment process and that you were always prepared for class. They also assist you when choosing the right course and amount. I like that the classes were smaller than a regular university and you are able to get one-on-one attention with the professor. The professor ensured that you had everything that was needed in order to pass the courses.

Original review: May 6, 2017

My experience with Strayer University has been remarkable. I am very happy having the freedom to study and do assignments at home or anywhere I choose. I also like being able to work full time without schooling issues and class times to meet. I never had an issue with staff, curriculum, financial aid, or non-cooperation from my success coach or any other entity within the community. I have encountered challenges while attending; however, any concern was addressed timely and professionally. I am proud to say that I am a Strayer University student, and I would recommend the university to any adult that is serious about obtaining higher education.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Their work study program is good for me because of work, being wife and having other obligations. Honestly it just worked out well. Even if it meant that it was going to take a little longer to achieve, I was still satisfied. I found it easy to engage in online classes. It was helpful to me as I was working full time and taking classes at the same time. It would have been much more difficult for me to obtain my degree otherwise. Overall I think their setup is easy enough that anyone should be able to follow the necessary steps need to enroll and get register to take classes online.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I applied online at Strayer University and classes are given in a virtual setting. The signing up process simply takes a few minutes to fill out the application. It is fun and convenient. I like the fact that I am able to work on my free times at the convenient of my own home. I don’t need to spend on gas or be stuck in traffic to get to school. It’s a fast pace environment to catch up with homeworks. I often find myself falling behind and due dates come pretty quick.

Original review: May 4, 2017

It was easy to enroll, take classes and testing. Online is the way to go if you have a full-time job and are not available to take classes during the day. The ease of study and flexible times at my choosing to study is what I like. At the beginning I thought online courses would be difficult but after trying them out I was amazed how it easy it was. The only thing I would change if I could would be to make it less expensive.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I like that I am able to do whatever I want online and that I am able to take my classes online and do whatever I want to do. I also love how quickly the professor responds to my inquiries and I love that I am able to do my course work easily on my own time without any problems. I sometimes dislike that I cannot go in person to get any help that I need on any assignments and not being able to interact with other classmates as well. But I do like that I do not have to travel that often. The traveling aspect makes me very sick. However, it can sometimes be difficult to engage with the online platform because it can be really boring sometimes. Sometimes we are staring at black and white screens all day and reading boring texts that I'm disinterested in. I really do not like this aspect. I also dislike the long hour of watching YT videos.

Original review: May 2, 2017

Easy to engage and enroll. There's flexibility to work when I wanted. Nice interaction with instructors and other students. Met my scheduling issues. However, I was lied to about help with term papers in the school learning center. The Teays Valley dean was obnoxious! Failed to keep the promise of local support and term paper editing and review. The dean should have been fired! A lack of local support. But wish I was still enrolled. I have not been able to finish my degree. Wish that I can!!! Without my masters I cannot do what I want!

Original review: May 1, 2017

I went to Kaplan University and the enrolling process was easy. Things were laid out for me in a very clear manner. I was asked what I was looking for in my future and was advised to start with a two year plan so I don't get burned out then to go back later for the next two years once I have had a chance to take a break. I was told that the concern is more about the students and their success because they are not successful if the students are not happy or successful.

I liked the online platform. It was easy to navigate and very intuitive. The courses were very helpful. I was amazed at how much information could be covered in 10 weeks; the idea was you learn as much as you want to learn. There's the rubric. It's up to you if you want to go above and beyond that. It made me disappointed at how little I learned in k-12. I was also amazed at how quickly 10 weeks could go by.

The professors are professional and personal, support was easy to come by be it for tutoring purposes or for finding material in the virtual library. But I wish the virtual library was easier to navigate. While I know I had an excellent education, well organized classes and great professors I wish the classes weren't so expensive. I would have loved to continue my education. I did choose my school and knew the cost, that is on me and I'm not complaining; I just enjoyed the classes so much I would have happily gone another two years if I could afford it.

Original review: April 30, 2017

It was very easy from starting the process to finishing the course. Phoenix maintains extensive, easy to access records and online interaction with their program is a joy to learn with. Very helpful! The feature most helpful was utilizing their online portal for easy access and communication. University of Phoenix has designed an extremely useful online component that is worth considering when looking into online courses. Follow-up as a previous student is easy for accessing records.

Original review: April 29, 2017

It is somewhat easy, a little time consuming but so are most worthwhile ventures. It is worth it, the education plans are worth it for a quality and competitive advantage in the world. I like that you can take class online at your own pace and the price is lower than a traditional college and I will be happy to see more from this university. You would have to change the stigma that somehow online college is lesser than big college institutions and I will not only be supported by the college I will feel proud.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Online platform is extremely easy if you have knowledge of computers, have taken classes before and know how to buckle down to get your work done without a school atmosphere but would not recommend to students that are young. They get distracted easily or not computer savvy. I like that I can take the classes anywhere, working well with my business travel and are often flexible for when you will have time to sit down and do them from week to week. Having to work in groups for projects can often be tricky as there are all different age groups, levels of experience (ie intelligence) and some think that because they hide behind that computer can treat others poorly without respect.

Original review: April 28, 2017

Strayer University is a top online and campus school. The courses they have there are phenomenal. There is financial aid for those who qualify. The teachers there are always pleasant and easy to work with. Although I would improve the financial aid aspect of this school. I personally did not have a problem but I had a friend who did. She said the financial aid department was very unorganized and lost an important piece of mail that she had turned into them. But that is really the only bad thing I have heard. It's very easy to enroll online and begin classes. It is a fairly simple set up. If you have questions there is always someone available to guide you along the way.

Original review: April 27, 2017

It is simple and easy to navigate and access the online platform anytime. I also enjoy that I am able to send emails to my professors and the teachers enjoy what they do. However, I dislike that it takes a while to contact my teacher or administrators when I have a question, buy materials for my classes and need help with my studies or make a payment on my classes. But when I am able to contact them, they are very helpful and willing to answer questions I have.

Strayer University expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With more than 120 years of experience in higher education and learning, Strayer University has developed a highly respected reputation.

• Regionally accredited: The same accrediting agency that is used by top schools like Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Temple also provides Strayer University's accreditation.
    • Online price calculator: With price being such a driving force in higher education enrollment decisions, the option to calculate the cost before enrollment is ideal.
    • Online application: You can fill out an application for enrollment online, so you don't need to spend hours on the phone answering questions before finding out if you are eligible.
    • Masters degree programs: For virtually every bachelor's degree program, there is a corresponding masters degree available at Strayer University.
    • Online chat service: If you have any questions when looking over the material, they offer 24/7 online chat to help you determine your eligibility and answer any questions you might have.
    • Best for: New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs