Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.21/5

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

422 Ashford University Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 28, 2019

I completed the MPA program through a grant program with my employer in 2018. I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience utilizing their online tools, especially the online library. The academic advisors helped every step of the way. The professors were knowledgeable in the field, transparent and easy to contact regarding assignments. I would honestly consider returning to complete a second masters. I believe many of the negative comments surrounds financial aid. There are things to consider when enrolling into a college and financial resources is one of them. Do your research before enrolling in any higher education establishment to make sure it fits your budget and educational aspirations.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I am nearing the dissertation phase of my Doctor of Philosophy in Education. My experience has been very positive. At this level of education you get out of it what you put into it and what you want to get out of it. I've had nothing but good experiences with advisors, financial aid personnel, and with courses. It boggles my mind when I read poor reviews because my experience has been spectacular. I highly recommend this school.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My experience with Ashford was horrendous. After 3 courses they told me I should have not been accepted because I did my undergrad in Puerto Rico. Even though Puerto Rico is a USA territory, I have a doctorate and been living in the USA for 20 years. They felt I needed to take an English language test, again this happened 4 months after I was accepted and completed 3 courses. I do not want anything to do with them. Staff is rude, university is sub par. Do not waste your effort or money here.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I work with a Enrollment agent, Sarah **. She was horrible, I listed my marital status to be Single for 2016 and married now in my FAFSA application. During my enrollment, she says, "We have received your FAFSA and processed quickly through my enrollment." But now, when I ask her politely to check up on my FAFSA status. She just keep telling me to wait for it. There was NOTHING changes that was part of the status that I was having issue with. And now, I am treating myself like a dog, just to ask her to get my financial aid fix on their end. If I could, I would have a lawsuit right away. For what? That anger that I have to beg her to fix it. Little **. And that's how education is done, when you don't have money.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I would love to know why you had nothing but extremely high marking things to say about this school even amongst the pages full of complaints by current and previous students who all had the same thing in common. Money was "written clearly in their policy" but they do not follow their own policy. They have scammed several people out of their own money, myself included. I never once received a bill for anything and kept up to date on my loan payments to them. They had no problem at all taking them either. Until it was time to graduate and lo and behold, all of a sudden when it is time to receive my diploma, I owe money so they are unable to provide me with it. I haven't been able to get a better job because I don't have proof of graduation. They are solely a for profit business and do nothing but take money from people who are trying to better themselves. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: May 9, 2019

I'm graduating in less than two weeks. It's taken almost five years to finish my BA/Psychology. Be warned that Ashford will promise ANYTHING to get you to sign on the dotted line. Afterwards, be prepared to fight every step of the way for what they promised. It's a boiler room ethic and I have had no less than eight Academic Counselors in that time. One flat out lied stating, "It's mandatory to have a minor degree." I fought, she was indeed wrong but nonetheless, they tried to straddle me with classes I didn't need.

I was plagued with technology issues and glitches on their end; ebooks that don't open, surveys you never get and links to pages that go nowhere, but rest assured that your biggest discrepancies will be with the Financial Dept. I now have a charge of $749 that appeared on my account but they cannot tell me what it's for. Until three days ago I had a zero balance. It must be paid in order to receive my transcripts.

They even sent me a check for $1085.00 which is not documented on my student financial account. When I spoke with them I was advised, "Just cash the check, then pay us the $749 that's owed on your account and keep the rest..." There is no documentation which I find unethical. Something is terribly wrong here and maybe that has something to do with their online graduations rate falling to just 26%. Be warned...

Original review: April 23, 2019

This is the worst school experience I have ever had. All they want to do is take your financial aid money but you will not get your doctorate degree. They have you taking unnecessary classes to prolong you staying until your financial aid runs out. I would give rate them at zero if I could. My recommendation to the readers, go to another school. They signed me up for a pilot program that took my money and prolonged my dissertation process. The chair left the school and the students did not hear from him for months and the school did not bother to tell us he left. This school is a joke. My advisor has a box of rocks for a brain.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Stay far, far away from this school. They will pull every trick in the book to get your money and keep getting it. I already have a degree and work full time as an accountant so when I decided to go back to school Ashford sounded like something that would work really well with my busy schedule. I was told all my classes would transfer and everything was great. I paid for my first class, got my schedule, and nothing was right. The entire schedule was full of classes I’d already taken. I spent a full week and a half trying to get up with my advisor with no luck.

Finally when I get up with him he and I actually get into an argument. He said my college never sent my transcript, but I know that was a lie because my dad is a professor at the college I originally attended. He even sent it twice. He also said there shouldn’t be any reason for me to have to repeat basic accounting especially since I already have a degree. When I told my advisor that he insulted me and said “just because your dad is a CPA doesn’t mean he’s qualified to give you advice on this.” I was referencing my dad’s college experience more than his qualifications as a CPA but whatever. Anyway, he insisted I had to retake Basic Accounting 1 and there was no way around it so I did.

Of course, on literally the last day of class I get an email saying my advisor no longer works there and I’ve been assigned a new one (who is actually very good). Just as I said all along, she tells me I shouldn’t have had to take that class and issues me a refund. Time wasted but at least I got my money back. I’m now in my 5th class with Ashford and I just received an email this week saying because the English classes I transferred were not taken within the last five weeks I have one week to take and pass an English proficiency exam or I will have to retake English. Another trick. I’m lucky my new advisor helps me out, because most everyone else is terrible.

When I called about this English proficiency exam the guy said “if you don’t calm down I’m going to have to end this call.” How nice it must be to tell a disgruntled customer you’re going to hang up on them. My job isn’t so chill that I can just take someone’s money and hang up on them as I please. It seems throwing a fit is the only way to get what you want. As of today I highly doubt I’ll continue on with my degree.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Place: Ashford University. Address: 8620 Spectrum Center Blvd. City: San Diego, CA 92123. Telephone: (800) 798-0584 ext: 18160. I attended Ashford University from August, 2010 until May 25, 2017. When I started this school I was told it was “upstanding school with accolades from the U.S. government." That there would be no out-of-pocket cost for my education there and the student loans will cover all cost of my education there. Ashford University has cheated me of an education by way of overcharging me, withholding my disbursements (from my student loans) and charging me for classes outside of my curriculum. They forced me to take classes that I did not need with threats that if I did not take the classes that they would withhold my degree and transcript, which is what they did anyway.

When I have spoken to my 1st student advisor: David **, (800) 798-0584 ext: **), my 2nd student advisor: Rasmikah **, (866) 475-0317 ext: **), my Wellness Coordinator - (Victoria ** (800) 798-0584 ext: **), and others' in the financial aid office (who are a different person any and every time that I called) they all have different stories to tell me.

Although I did not know at the time, the school was being very deceitful in talking me into attending Ashford University and once I was a student in the school they charged me fees and add so many costs until I was trapped, even if I would have tried to transfer (I was told) they would not give me my transcript. Now the Financial Aid office is telling me that I owe them (Ashford) $6,109.0 and they know that is not true. They kept my disbursements all but 2 checks. They kept the money and now the I owe the federal government for the money that Ashford stole from me and the Federal Aid office and that means that I have to pay twice. Ashford should be held accountable for all of the misery that they have placed on the students who came to them for an education. We, the students had no way of knowing that they were thieves.

I have been on several payment plans because of threats from Ashford and because of the fear of their threats. I would like to see closed it should be made to give back to the students the money that they stole. It was about the second year of my education that I noticed charges on my account and upon asking my student advisor what was going on and I was told "not to worry about it" and "it was probably a mistake." They will not release my records and that stops me from attending any other school for my Masters. From that point until I finally was allowed to graduate I received threats of one kind or another from them.

I have never been so depressed in my life and they still say I owe them $6,109.01 when they know that I do not. From 2012 on to now they have stolen from me. I am so sick of them and seems like they have gotten away with it. I did notice a listing of “other charges and fees” when I called the school and ask what is that for and what does it means. I was told by my student advisors again what does it mean because I live out of state.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I signed up with Ashford to complete my degree in Business Administration back in Oct or Nov 2017. It was the biggest mistake I have ever made. I failed to do my research on the school and I am going to pay for it now. First things first I was lied to by the enrollment adviser, my wife is military and they attempted to talk me into using my WIFE'S GI BILL so she wouldn't have access to it, they wouldn't stop asking me to take it from her, it was almost to the point of harassment. The enrollment adviser said that my tuition would run at $600 total and I wouldn't have ANY OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES.

Clearly that was a lie! That's all they do and that's why they are getting sued. They started charging me much more than what I was told and then when I tried to fight it, they kept saying I signed paperwork, which I never did, the enrollment adviser wanted a signature from me and apparently copied and pasted it to other documents and I magically received them after I started school, so it was too late. I had to drop a few courses due to living in Florida and hurricanes would knock out power or the internet for a while and they told me the courses would be waived and I can take it all over again at no charge, never happened.

All in all I am now attending Arizona State University, paying less than Ashford is charging, FYI their courses run around $1200 or so for non-military... Yeah, that is PER FRICKIN CLASS YOU TAKE!! While a honorable school, that is not a money hungry *pick a bad word* hole, is going to charge $575 per course I take and actually cares about your education. I attempted to fight these ** too many times but they never get back to me in enough time and calling was hell. Enrollment Adviser was - Alan **. BIGGEST LYING PIECE OF *you choose the word you want here*! Save yourself the struggle and stress and please save your money because student loan in this case are going to take years and years and years to pay back. ALSO There is a huge lawsuit on this exact issue with the school as we speak, I was contacted by the lawyers recently on this issue.

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego