Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course
2.11/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Ashford University Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

After attending Ashford University for 2 years I called to reenroll after taking a break because of family. I have 4 course to complete my BA degree. I was told I owed $490. Ok from where? Then after reviewing the acct they said, "Oh we sent your balance to external collections." I said, "Why, no one called, emailed nor paper mailed me." They said, "We called 7 times from automatic numbers and we don't have to leave voicemails nor are we obligated to email you." After speaking to Bob ** he stated, "Informing you isn't our responsibility nor the collection agency." Wth? If someone owes a debt IT IS your responsibility to make several attempts to contact the debtor. If you cannot complete your degree without breaks and full financial aid DO NOT ENROLL at Ashford University. It has been 5 months and still no contact from Ashford's collection department nor the alleged collection agency.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I initially enrolled with Ashford University years ago due to being recommended by a colleague who ended up not even finishing her degree with Ashford. She ended up having to get a degree at a local school due to finances. In my case, due to being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, I've had to drop out of school multiple times. It has taken me twice as long to finish a degree due to such circumstances.

Unfortunately, Ashford refuses to accept credits from other reliable Universities such as The University of Phoenix. Please Please! If you are planning to transfer- make sure that your credits will be accepted first. Ashford informed me that they were not able to give me a transfer determination until after I finished my first course. I should have picked up on the signs of sneakiness at that point! It is my opinion that the University's benefit to deny as many transfer credits as possible so that they can continue to charge outrageous amounts for future courses. Good luck!

Original review: July 20, 2019

Best advice is to stay far, far away from this sham of a school. And shame on Ashford for their negative impact on so many lives of those trying to better themselves. For me personally, I am not only stuck with student loans but after Ashford told me I did not owe them anything further, they contacted me at the start of my very last class to inform me that I owe them over $5,000. How is anyone expected to come up with $5,000 in 5 weeks! Even after taking this to disputes (this process is also a joke), it is unclear to me what the unpaid balance is for or why they told me earlier I did not owe anything. The only thing I got out of the conversation is that I owe it and have to pay it, final.

Now after setting up a payment plan with Ashford, they have placed me in collections. This whole situation has left my head spinning and is not something that I can easily recover from. Giving up the last 4 years of my life to work on my bachelor's degree took a lot of hard work and dedication. The positive is that I made the deans list every semester and finished with a 3.91 GPA. The downside is that I have no degree (because they will not release my records), I did not get to attend graduation, I am over $60,000 in student loan debt and I was just informed that Ashford has turned me over to a bill collector for the $5,000 they say I owe.

As you can imagine, I am kicking myself every day for choosing Ashford University to earn a bachelors degree. As the saying goes, hindsight is 20/20 and too late for me, but hopefully not for others looking to better themselves through education. I wish I would have read the reviews prior to signing up. In the end, what Ashford has done to me and so many others is unforgivable, but if I can spare just one person from the nightmare I am going through, then writing this review will have been worth it.

Original review: June 25, 2019

From day one of speaking to an Ashford Rep until the day I received my undergraduate degree, I had a great experience. The classes were challenging and the instructors attentive to my needs. I have attended brick and mortar colleges and found my experience at AU to be the best all around education received. I am very proud of my degree from Ashford University.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I started with Ashford in 2012 and when I joined I was not aware that I would not have had enough money to pay for my schooling. They are just so eager to get you in so that, they can eat up all of your financial aid money. I started to realize I was never getting any financial aid money back. I didn't realize that they were ridiculously high. I loved the teachers but the staff is the most horrible of them all. I withdrew after a year, because the man told me that I would not have enough money. That was a wrap for me. Now I have a hold on my account for $766.

The people that I have come across to help me with this issue have been, PIECES OF CRAP!! Their customer service skills is RIDICULOUS!! I have never seen anything like it before in my life!! Don't waste your time or money with this school. They treat you like you are at the bottom of the barrel and they are superior! I want to help the next person from making the same mistake that I made! DON'T DO IT!!! #RUUUUUNNNN!!!! This should be against the law ... ASHFORD should not even be operable!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: May 30, 2019

I am a single mother of two.. My babies are of age so I decided it's my time to continue my education so I can show them anything is possible no matter how old you are or what struggles you have had in life. I need them to know that the sky is the limit.. I seriously was thinking about continuing my education through Ashford University but after reading pages of terrible reviews I'll pass in the most humbling way ever. It seems as I'll be wasting my time studying at this Online University. Playing with someone's time and money is a major red flag for me. My motivation is my babies and I want to get a better paying job not get into more debt.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I completed the MPA program through a grant program with my employer in 2018. I can honestly say it was a wonderful experience utilizing their online tools, especially the online library. The academic advisors helped every step of the way. The professors were knowledgeable in the field, transparent and easy to contact regarding assignments. I would honestly consider returning to complete a second masters. I believe many of the negative comments surrounds financial aid. There are things to consider when enrolling into a college and financial resources is one of them. Do your research before enrolling in any higher education establishment to make sure it fits your budget and educational aspirations.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I am nearing the dissertation phase of my Doctor of Philosophy in Education. My experience has been very positive. At this level of education you get out of it what you put into it and what you want to get out of it. I've had nothing but good experiences with advisors, financial aid personnel, and with courses. It boggles my mind when I read poor reviews because my experience has been spectacular. I highly recommend this school.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My experience with Ashford was horrendous. After 3 courses they told me I should have not been accepted because I did my undergrad in Puerto Rico. Even though Puerto Rico is a USA territory, I have a doctorate and been living in the USA for 20 years. They felt I needed to take an English language test, again this happened 4 months after I was accepted and completed 3 courses. I do not want anything to do with them. Staff is rude, university is sub par. Do not waste your effort or money here.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I work with a Enrollment agent, Sarah **. She was horrible, I listed my marital status to be Single for 2016 and married now in my FAFSA application. During my enrollment, she says, "We have received your FAFSA and processed quickly through my enrollment." But now, when I ask her politely to check up on my FAFSA status. She just keep telling me to wait for it. There was NOTHING changes that was part of the status that I was having issue with. And now, I am treating myself like a dog, just to ask her to get my financial aid fix on their end. If I could, I would have a lawsuit right away. For what? That anger that I have to beg her to fix it. Little **. And that's how education is done, when you don't have money.

Ashford University Company Information

1918
      8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
      San Diego