1.58/5
Based on 337 reviews that contain star ratings

Ashford University

Ashford University offers online degrees at the Associate, Bachelor’s and Master’s level. Read Ashford University Accounting reviews and Ashford University MBA reviews to learn more about their Accounting and MBA degree programs. This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

403 Ashford University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I attended Ashford and had a great experience! They worked with me to transfer some credits I had received from another University and helped me transition into my degree program. It can be challenging to go back to school at 40 with a family and full time job but the staff in the financial aid department, my advisors (I did have more than one) and my Instructors were very helpful so that I could finish my degree in Business Finance. Tuition was on the more expensive side but not unreasonable. It took a lot of hard work but I had a lot of help along the way thanks to some great staff members. Thank you Ashford!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Oh where to begin. This school is a joke. My wife and I both attended Ashford, and at first they sounded smooth and compassionate. That wasn't the case after the first two courses or so. Everyone other than my enrollment counselor seemed like it was their first day on the job every time I called up there. Go figure, the front line enrollment counselors are smooth talkers and well trained to get you in the door, but after that they drop you on your face.

The financial aid department is filled with snotty, catty, sarcastic people. My wife has had more trouble getting her stipend and disbursement then I went through in a 9-month deployment to Iraq. Constantly asking for more financial aid paperwork, then when it gets sent in, she's told she needs to send something else in. Here's an idea, train your people to ask for everything upfront. It takes a week to receive and review something, then when it's done they ask for something else pushing it out at least another week.

As of now my wife's ledger card showed a credit of over $2600 to be issued to her. They only released $1100 of it and told her that money is not for her. It's for educational purposes. Who's paying that money back? Us or Ashford? No joke it's for education idiot, but she has gone from full time to part time work just to attend school, therefore that money is supporting her education so she can continue it and not have to go back to work full time.

Not to mention my stipend... Ready for this headache? The geniuses that be decided that they were going to hold my disbursement for another month because THEY didn't put a grade in right or on time. Tell me how that's my problem! I quit going here because my last class I was falling behind and had reached out to my instructor for help multiple times. She literally sent back the same cookie cutter response to all my emails. Like she didn't have time to teach, just tell us what to do. No wonder this crackpot school has been sued by over 5 different states attorney generals offices AND the VA had cut them out of the GI Bill process for a while.

This place is nothing but a for-profit snake pit, I have an open case with them in the Department of Education, and have reached out to local representatives as well as the OAG and fully intend to see to it that these clowns face another suit and hope they get shut down. Something to be said about an online school that has had multiple names, multiple addresses, many lawsuits, and kicked off previously by the VA. THE VA...they aren't the smoothest run organization either but even they told Ashford to kick rocks. Do not attend this school. They will rob you, lie to you, put you in debt, and leave you with a degree that means squat.

How low of a scumbag organization do you need to be to rip off veterans and their benefits they earned fighting for their country? Look no further, Ashford takes the gold on this too. I hope someone there reads this, and gets ready. I'm coming for you in the courtroom with everything I've got. Get ready for another lawsuit. Bunch of low life jokers. My name is SEAN ** and I approve this message.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I was enrolled at Ashford about 3 years ago. I enjoyed my experience up until the day I had to have emergency surgery. They decided to drop me from my class and then proceeded to charge me about $2000, to reenroll me in it without my permission. I had a hard time at this point with pain medication and always being tired. I had three kids on top of school and managed to get all B's in my classes up to this point. Now that I am ready to reenter school and have found one that will work for me they have decided to hold onto my transcript and make it so that I cannot used the credits I earned from them. I never asked to be dropped then re-enrolled. And when I talked to them about it they acted like they understood. They are a rip off and I am working to get their accreditation taken away from them.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I wanted to withdraw and the Financial Aid Counselor told me that I would lose all my funding if I did. I needed to withdraw because issues in class. Now I owe 3000$ and need my transcript to continue my classes.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I just wanted to give a brief review of my experience attending Ashford University. I just completed my degree in Psychology and it was a great experience. It took me four years and I had to stop and start many times to get through it, but Ashford worked with me through every situation I had to keep me on track and stopping my classes when I needed to stop. Communication with your academic advisor is important so that you can submit the necessary forms to stop your classes and then start them again. It was a smooth ride for me. I did not have any issues with any class or finances at all! You have to communicate with your advisors and professors just like you would if you attended class in person. It is a great school providing a great education! Just wanted to say thanks to Ashford University for working with me through these years to helping me get my degree!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I went to Ashford because it sounded great. Take one class at a time and it’s flexible with my busy work schedule. I ended up having to take a leave of absence because my mother became ill and I was caring for her. I had asked for a second extension which was granted to only find out it wasn’t. My counselor signed me up for classes that I was unaware of. When I called to complain he said he couldn’t help me because he had no record of my leave request to which I sent him my email confirmations. They are making me pay $6000 in classes I didn’t take. Not only that they gave me an F on my transcripts for those classes which I should have never been signed up for. They advertise rainbow and unicorns and deliver stress, debt and frustration. Most useless online school I have ever gone to. I highly recommend NOT attending their school as they will only scam you out of money, time and energy.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I finished my bachelor's and master's with this school, and next month I am starting on my second masters. I've been completely happy with my experience here. There have been a few minor annoyances, like a few teachers (out of about 40 that I've had) that were not great, and the initial enrollment process was a major hassle. But it was totally worth it and most of the teachers are awesome. The work is challenging but not stressful. There has never been a problem with my financing in my five plus years with the school, and the advisers are extremely competent, friendly, and supportive.

I don't understand the reviews saying there are financing problems because that's the opposite of my experience. If you read the negative reviews closely, you'll see that most of them are written by people who haven't grasped basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and really just don't belong in college. This is why they are having bad experiences. It is not a reflection of the quality of the school. My bachelors degree from this school literally doubled my income.

Original review: July 31, 2018

When I initially signed up for classes, they were smooth. Everything sounded great. I am a retired U.S. Marine, and happen to be disabled. One week into my first class I was hospitalized for an unexpected surgery. I missed 4 assignments and was not given a chance to make them up, they were just zeroed out. They have interactive assignments and when I called tech support all they could do was send an email to my instructor. I’ve had to call tech support more than three times in one night. Some student in Utah tried to help me but could not...useless. To make things worse they are not pro military as they advertise. I was told in one of my assignments what one learner did wrong. I was forced to read an article about a Marine that was a total piece of garbage as a student...not professional.

I asked for additional assistance due to my disabilities, it was ignored. I told my so called professor about my issues, she never even responded. After just three weeks I’ve determined this school is totally unsatisfactory. They will not get a dime from me. Once again I strongly recommend VETERANS DO NOT ATTEND this lousy excuse for a University! Do your research people. I’m just glad I read the writing on the wall before I lost thousands of dollars on an education I wouldn’t wipe my backside with.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I went to this University for about two years, at first things were great but then at the end of the year when I was about to earn my degree, they told me I owe money in which I didn't. I am in debt with student loans that I have no knowledge of. They are money hungry!!! I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree and never received it. I worked hard and kept all of my grades up at the age of 40 and still no paper. I waste my time and I am in desperate need of trying to get these loans forgiven. I was disabled then and I'm still disabled but that didn't matter to them. I hate I wasted my time online from South Carolina. If anyone knows where we can get help please let me know.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am a military veteran and previously attended this university. They overcharged me the entire time I was there and I had to hunt them down to get answers. They refused to refund me after overcharging me for 2 years. I finally transferred out to another school, but now I may not have enough funding left to pay for college and graduate next year. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL!

Ashford University Company Information

1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego