2.6/5 (269 ratings)

About K12

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I needed a simple email or document stating that my son is a full time student (this is his second year). I called five numbers, spoke to several agents and didn't get any information. I was advised to contact the homeroom teacher who proceeded to tell me that I would need to call the school admissions. I was then sent a form from admissions to fill out to get enrollment proof. I filled it out and returned it. The homeroom teacher the next day sent the same form and asked for it to be completed, so I did and returned it. Then he sent me a message stating that they do not provide enrollment letters. I got in touch with a higher office and they told me that one of the managers would be contacting me back. It has been a week and nothing is resolved. All I need is proof that my son is a student. No one can assist me with this and I keep getting sent in circles with no resolution.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I enrolled my 6th and 8th grader into K12 as an alternative to brick and mortar because we were coming off of a homeschooling season and we wanted to transition our children back into a more traditional school without the culture shock of a new school in a new city. Upon the enrollment process I made this clear to the admissions counselor and enrollment advisors and provided documentation to support our circumstances. I also voiced my concern for the kids beginning their curriculum as the enrollment process has left them 1 month late to the 2019-2020 school year. They began school and worked dutifully to be prepared to start next week with their new classes and on course where the other students should already be in the school year.

During a Help Desk session we were logged out, my account was deactivated and after numerous attempts to reach someone, I received a phone call from someone whom I have never spoken with! She informs me that based on Tx state law, my kids cannot be enrolled in an online public school bc they did not attend public school last year?!?! I explained the same things I had explained 3 times prior (during admissions) my kids were homeschooled through an accredited homeschool academy and provided all transcripts and documentation from their prior public school and their current homeschool, and was told there was nothing they could do to help me. So within one hour we went from, "We are here to help and support your kids in attaining their future potential," to withdrawn.

Like some of the other reviewers, I strongly believe this was a solicitation and attempt to sell us a private online academy. I also do not understand why some refer to this as a healthy homeschool opportunity for students but maybe that's state specific. Texas, specifically, seems to be biased against homeschool families. Document, document, document....I will be filing a complaint with the Texas Education Agency, as well. Good luck parents.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I am really surprised by some of these reviews, especially the ones about enrollment difficulties. I literally enrolled my child at Oklahoma Virtual Charter Academy (OVCA) in ONE DAY. I thought I was starting the enrollment early (because I was given erroneous enrollment info). I called 9/5 to ask about some documents and the representative said, "As it's the last day to enroll, I suggest you do document X instead of document Y." I was surprised but apparently, the first rep with whom I spoke the week before had misunderstood that the high school fall enrollment ended a week before the K-8 enrollment.

No problem. Easy peasy. All essential documents (about 4 including student application, proof of residency, guardian driver's license) uploaded that day. "Provisionally" approved the same day. Got enrollment notification the next day. Then the day after that assigned classes. So the enrollment was a breeze. And it should be because K12 is a private company and they want students to enroll so they can get tuition payments.

Our experience after about three weeks of school has been pretty good. But I will first state the negatives. First, the platform is horribly slow. It is also needlessly confusing. It took me and my son three weeks to figure out how to consistently access previous class recordings. Part of the problem is that each teacher uses her class page differently. So one link might contain some info that other teachers might not include. There needs to be a more uniform info presentation across the school.

Second, my son is a sort-of high achieving student. He excels in things that interest him. He really sucks at things that don't. So going in as a 9th grader, he had already mastered algebra and geometry. The great thing about OVCA is that the school allowed him to test out of those two classes. The bad thing is that I then learned that the school does not offer calculus, physics, Spanish IV and AP courses as I had been led to believe according to the school's course catalog. The catalog does note that classes may not be offered but I was disappointed.

So depending on your state, the K12 online public school might or might not offer the full selection of classes that you might think a large high school would. That has been the largest drawback so far. But the school has told me that he might be able to take some of these classes at the local college as a concurrently enrolled student. I am not sure how that'll work and I am not sure he'll be able to take non-core classes at a local college (e.g. computer programming, advanced Spanish). So that's the less-than-great stuff.

Now the advantages. If your child is a lackadaisical student and indifferent to his grades, K12 is a good option for the involved parent. You have total access to all his grades so you can spot right away if he's slipping up somewhere. Last night, for example, I noticed that his 100% in English had slipped to 98%. Not a big deal. But I wanted to know what happened. It turned out he did not grasp the parts of a sentence. The live class connect session didn't address the subject adequately for him and the online lesson (which is given before quizzes) was also too brief. And my son is too lazy to dig around the web himself. So then I sat down with him (before he made his third and final attempt at the quiz) and explained it. Then he aced it. So if you have the time and the resources, you can really help to ensure that your kid is learning what he is supposed to know when he is supposed to be learning it.

I can't understand the complaints about the live class connect sessions. My son has four honors classes and two regular classes and he has maybe two 45-minute class connects per day and usually none on Friday. He has other recorded lessons he has to watch at his leisure but the demand on his time to be somewhere specific is quite low.

That brings me to his assignments, quizzes and tests. It varies somewhat by teacher but he knows all his assignments at least a week in advance (usually the entire semester) and they are due by midnight on Sunday of the week that they are assigned. Some of his teachers allow him to turn in anything up to the last day of the semester. So that is a lot of flexibility. He also gets to retake the quizzes three times (though the questions usually change each time) so that he can go back and figure out what he didn't learn thoroughly. The tests, however, are one-shot. So if you or your child cares, you can really try to ensure that he learns his material.

Now, I am not yet 100% on remote learning. First, I just don't think the class discussions are quite as good as when you're physically present in class. If nothing else because it is just faster for most people to speak their mind than to type it out. And it's difficult for the teacher to gauge whether students really understand when they're not there to talk back and forth. And for our school in particular, I feel that there are just too few honors students to really develop a thorough advanced curriculum. But a large state, say Texas, might be different. And quite a few of the students, at least at OVCA, are off-the-beaten-path learners who are coming back to finish high school as young adults. So that is a different dynamic from that of traditional brick-and-mortar schools. But it isn't necessarily a negative dynamic.

There are some very good teachers at OVCA and I do think they try hard to accommodate your unique child. And I do always believe that school is what you put into it. So for the right family and the right student who are willing to put some elbow grease into it, K12 could be a very positive experience. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to give it a go for one semester or year.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Absolutely horrible, I have never seen anything that was a bigger joke than their enrollment process. Started the process 3 months ago (July 11th 2019) and my son still got waitlisted 'cause they were 6 weeks on approving one document and that was after approving them first then rejecting them then approving the exact same document later. But honestly I think that was just an excuse because on one of my MANY MANY phone calls to them I was suppose to be on hold but wasn't and I heard a little bit of a conversation between the person I was working with and a supervisor where she was told "no" and was shut down from even talking to him about whatever she was trying to do to help me at the time, they just used the paperwork as a stall so he wouldn't get enrolled which is exactly what happened, so now waitlisted 6 weeks after all other schools have started for the year and he's enrolled nowhere.

I find it funny that the same day that the grades are full and people are getting waitlisted is magically the same day my paperwork goes through, I mean I got an email that his paperwork is good then literally an hour and a half later I get another email saying he's waitlisted. Imagine that!!! So yea they are just a joke and a waste of time! And believe me when I say I will be telling anyone and everyone that will listen about this and I will be putting it online every chance I get so people know how this school really works or doesn't work I guess I should say and if I can save one parent from this ** I have been through then I will be happy!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I am homeschooling my two children and this came up as an online option for free public school we could do at home. I started an application but was interrupted. Within a few hours I was called. I explained I needed some more time. The phone calls increased to at least 3 a day, including weekends, plus multiple emails per day. I felt like I had ended up on a telemarketer list. I withdrew my daughter's unfinished application and attempted to delete my private information, only to discover there is no way to do that. The operators say they cannot remove me from email or phone lists, and the emails themselves have no unsubscribe. It felt like harassment, there was no consistency between people I talked to. I am so grateful I did not go all the way through the enrollment process, just imagine what a nightmare it must be to deal with them long term!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I just started attending about a week ago and I thought perhaps I should wait it out and see if things get better but they continue to get worse within the matter of a day. I go to Texas E-school Prep, and my parents and I should have been alarmed when I started enrolling. We sent them my transcripts multiple times but they kept saying it was still needed to be fully accepted, until then I was temporarily accepted which is nothing because I still could not attend school. I did not start school until September 4th and the orientations were little to no help and more of a "get to know me" for the administrators seeing as how they rarely provide any help in what they insist they're there for.

The main issue I have already developed in only the span of ONE WEEK, is the class connects. The class connects are pointless and hold us back from completing the abundant amount of courses that are given but that's a whole different issue. In my class connects my teachers will be talking about something entirely different from what the courses themselves are teaching. For example, my chemistry teacher is currently talking about scientific notation in her class connects, but the courses are talking about mixtures and pure substances. I only have one teacher that teaches along with the course and that is my Algebra teacher. The class connects are a conflict because they are overall useless, and a waste of time.

That brings me to the courses. Of course throughout school years you will revisit subjects you have already learned about, with being said with some of these courses I can identify if I have already learned them before and I can compare my notes from old schools and see that the courses are giving unnecessary information and not directly teaching what needs to be known.

The entire operation of this school system is almost slapdash. There is logically no way for this system to be helpful for someone who join for the sole purpose of "you can work it around your schedule." No, no you can't. Class connects are useless and take up the time necessary to complete the overbearing amount of work given just in a day; for one class I had 44 topics to go through, each topic had about 5-10 slides of information I needed to take notes on or complete practices on. Say we divide those 44 topics and say there's 5 slides for 22 and 10 for 22. Multiplying 5 and 22 as well as 10 and 22 that's 308 problems to solve or pages of unnecessary information of notes, for one class.

This is not even an exaggeration and of course numbers vary but for the sake of quick demonstration I just divided the possible numbers. The courses are set up like Russian dolls, we just see one but open it and there's another within another within another, almost endless. This is just the beginning of my school year at K12 and I don't think there will be any ending.

Do not consider this if you don't want your children to be stressed within just the first week, the school has got a lot of negatives that need to be fixed on their end. Now if you will excuse me, I have to attend my useless class connect for my English class where the teacher boringly rambles on about religion and politics and takes away time from me completing my infinite amount of courses....

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

My daughter was a senior this past year. Had more credits than needed to graduate, high GPA. Was told she was on track to graduate from a phone call and email from ORVA. But, ORVA held her diploma & refused to give it to her because she needed a 77% to pass the Oregon math state test, she received 74%.

The Oregon State math test is a prerequisite to graduate (however we were told her junior year the test was OPTIONAL & not graded that’s why she hadn’t taken it her junior year, it was OPTIONAL). She got hounded about their state test from the first day of her senior year, the following year. Took the test multiple times (4, I believe) so she risked an even lower grade every time she went, even though she didn’t pass by 3%, and it didn’t include all her other classes and job. She given no guidance counselor, no science, no social studies, no chemistry, no biology, only classes to pass the state test, her whole senior year.

My daughter wrote a letter to the Oregon Department of Education to see if they’d sign off on it, so she could receive her diploma because of her other high achievements AND had more credits than she needed to graduate. Although they sympathized with her, regrettably they said, they had to deny it. The Oregon Dept of Education told her they felt bad for her. But, the vice principal & I had exchanged words, I said..."What are you going to do? Deny her, her diploma?" The vice principal said, "As a matter of fact we do, do that." Wow. So they’ve obviously done this before. Talk about lack of integrity. But the “principal” or vice principal wouldn’t sign off on it or whomever the principal was, we hadn’t heard one word from their principal all year! Didn’t even know her name! We guess it wasn’t signed off on because of nothing but spite & the exchange I had with their vice principal.

Vice principal suggested she comes back to be a super senior....for a math state test. 3% differential. Even though she had the credits, grades & 2 ACT Awards. Unbelievable. My daughter said no. We were offered help from their math teacher, who was absolutely horrid. I actually HEARD him talking bad about other students. I heard him say he’s not there to teach students, they should already know these things. told the vice principal my daughter didn’t feel comfortable with him. My daughter told the vice principal herself too! But she kept offering the saaaame teacher. The one that suffered was the student. So my daughter with good grades, worked HARD, extra credits, 2 ACT Awards, didn’t get her diploma. Now can’t go to college. Cries every night (truth).

Beware of this school if you have a high schooler. STAAAAY FAR, FAR AWAY. Would give it less than one star if that was possible. The school actually used to be very good, but the administration of that school (which has changed frequently) is horrid. Please read reviews from other sites. I did try to put her in another online school her junior year....The other school told me her math credits wouldn’t count. When I told the vice principal about that at ORVA, I was basically told that was not true.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

In Aug 2019 I enrolled my child in the K12 online school in FL. School started in our state on Aug 12, 2019. My child was not approved until Sept 2019, this school does not have a waiting list but the time it took to process his application you would think it does. I spent about 3 hours each day on the phone just in the enrollment/application phase with customer service. So at least 60 hours of phone calls. I was threatened by K12 admissions rep that if I did not send my child to a brick and mortar school while his application was pending that I would be reported to the State of Fl for not sending my child to school (as truant). School registration/admissions changed my child's race/ethnicity without my knowledge or consent on his application and disregarded his IEP during application process. Systematically rejected his compliance documents for admission even though it was docs provided by the State and local district.

Courses schedule and layout is confusing. Not much information is contained in course description and basically no syllabus no reference as to which text books are used in which course and where the student should be. This seems to be a volume focused school meaning more focus on the amount of students they can enroll vs the quality of program offered to students. Some courses are live and some are not, if you missed the live sessions there may not be a recorded version. There is no live video of teacher for class. The platform used does not appear suitable (user friendly) for grades k-8.

Teachers should be qualified in the subject that they teach and course materials provided in a timely manner to both teachers and students. School should start on time with the assigned district. The deadline must be met by K12. It is not appropriate that the student shall fall behind on school work or that the teachers face an overload of students while still having to wait on their course materials. Students with disabilities should be taken into consideration and their IEP should be implemented per the 504 plan. I personally did not see any accommodation being given. I think parents that have experienced issues with K12 should file a complaint with the Department of Education not just on Consumer Affairs platform. K12 must do better for our kids, after all they are using our tax dollars. There must be a level of public accountability with this school for both public and private education.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My daughter has been having problems socially at school. We decided to try to take her out of school and do online school this year. From start to finish the enrollment process was horrible and frustrating. The communication is terrible. I was passed around from person to person and no operator knew what was happening. They either spoke before reading the notes in the history or didn't know what was going on at all! We complied with all the papers needed and spent hours on collecting and submitting compliancy items only to be told that her application was withdrawn due to not submitting them in time. But We were actually told that we had all items initially! It was later when someone told us we were not compliant with documents and therefore not accepted into the school.

I tried to talk to someone in customer service only to be passed around and then put on hold again. It is obvious that this is a juvenile tactic so that people cannot file a complaint. At the end of the day, I really feel that if it is this difficult and ill managed now at the beginning, it is probably better that we don't have to deal with them in the long run. Maybe we have dodged a bullet and this is actually a blessing. I feel like this is their way of pushing the private tuition based program they offer as it was repeatedly offered to me.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Best Education Around. Your child will need lots of help from Mom and Dad because K12 is challenging. If you want the absolute highest quality learning materials, K12 is the way to go. If you want your kid to be ready for college, K12 is the way to go. If you are not willing to bust your rear end helping your kid, then forget about it. Your child will need to attend the classes and do the readings. There is no easy way around it. Should you decide to send your child to K12, make sure that his/her reading skills are top notch. Turn off the television and visit the library constantly to get your child up to speed for K12. I had my son read 4 hours a day during summer vacation.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Where to begin... Absolutely no support for disabled parents or students, teachers (and I use the word VERY VERY LOOSELY) play favorites, are lazy, only do class connects which parents are supposed to schedule their life around while you see and hear the teacher's kids running around and interrupting class time. In NO WAY is this program set up for people with unconventional schedules.

Everything revolves around what time is good for the teacher not the student and God forbid you have a Dr appt or something. They start trying to kick you out from day 1! They have no compassion or understanding for kids and/or adults. They constantly threaten to expel your kid after the 2nd EXCUSED absence!! Dont put your child or yourself thru the hell called K12!! MY DOG IS A BETTER TEACHER!! DONT FALL FOR THEIR BS!!! WORST "SCHOOL" EVER and I use the term "school" lightly because I dont want to insult a "school" of fish as they would be much better teachers.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I removed my daughter from her brick and mortar school. She is autistic and has anxiety. The school setting was worsening her anxiety. K12 was recommended to me so, I signed her up. This has been the best decision. My daughter had a phobia with math that no longer exists. The teachers are fantastic and I haven't had any problems with communication. I will say there is a lot of work involved. I get satisfaction knowing my child is absorbing what she is learning and if she doesn't get something, I can work with her until she gets it. I have sat in on many classes when she went to a brick and mortar and witnessed kids not getting it and they were left puzzled. This was due to the teacher/child volume. The teacher just cannot cater to each student. I'm glad we chose K-12-AZVA, My daughter is getting a quality education.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is trash. There is maybe one or two decent people I talked to. The rest treat you like an idiot or like they have so many more important things they could be doing. Enrollment process sucks and I’ve called everyday almost for a month and nobody has helped me. Hope you try every option before K12!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I was put into K12 in 8th grade after 7 years of public schooling. It completely ruined me. I became very lonely and depressed which also led me to gaining anger issues. I barely passed my algebra STAAR Test (Texas test). I didn’t learn anything and was bored all the time. I hate K12 with every atom in my body. If your child needs social interaction a lot do not put them into K12.

Original review: July 22, 2019

My son use this schooling program because he was sick and could not attend school. He did everything K12 told him to do and nearly lost entire year of couldn't agree credit because these idiots lost all of this information and did not report it correctly to North East Independent School District. Try another program. These people are ridiculous and they will not own up to what they did. My son has since graduated high school an honor student and a junior at his university and they still have not fix this issue and lost all his credits and had to make them up. Do not use these people.

Original review: July 12, 2019

A child in public school, will likely spends 80% of their time attempting to fit in and be accepted. At home with an online program like K12, they can spend 80% of the time learning. In my opinion, it's likely that the negative reviews are those not willing or are unable to invest the time. Being a parent is the hardest job you will have. But, it will also be the most rewarding. Invest in your children, that means you spend quality time with them and on their education. K12 is challenging and sometime repetitive. But, I have seen the results. For a child with Autism to be in the top 1% in all area (STAR 360) is remarkable. I promise, I am a real dad and speaking from my heart. I love my son and K12. If you are reading this, then I am sure we are on the same page.

Once you understand how it works and following it. You will see results and you and your child will be excited. Let's face it, their education is YOUR most important task. Practicing discipline with schooling is far better than later in life learning it from some part of the judicial system. Here is how it works. There are a set of books for the "learning coach." These guides will help you understand, what will be covered and tested online (with answers to the practice material). There is a companion set for the child. Generally, only a quick review is needed for you and there is always helpful hints. The student has an online account to track their work and test their understanding of the material. All lessons are an interactive learning experience before a quiz.

Progress is tracked for you and the teacher to see. There are daily "class connects" an online electronic chalkboard that the teachers use to teach a topic and interact with the students. There is audio but the camera is only of the teacher and the material being covered. They are generally 30 minutes in length. They are made available to view later as a video file (providing the ultimate in flexibility). There are supplemental readings and science experiences. However, these are key element in education. I will admit, you will need a few minutes to track down the right book, page etc. But, it is totally worth it. It breaks up the monotony or mechanics of teaching and provides zest to the experience.

K12 curriculum can be the core subjects (Math, Writing, Literature, Spelling, Vocabulary, History and Science) or you can customize to meet the needs of more advanced students. Furthermore, it's flexible. If there is something that is challenging you or the student. Step away, seek someone else's point of view and return to it at a later time. The teachers are amazing, helpful and available to you. These are the kind of teachers you will remember the rest of your life. These are the Ms. Sweet, Ms. Smith and Mrs. Johnson that you remember from your school days.

Look, I am writing this because schools are not safe (weapons, bullies, etc), teachers in "brick and mortar" schools are overwhelmed and your kids are distracted. They don't stand a chance at the education they deserve. But, mostly because, in my experience, K12 deserve far better reviews, recognition and accolades then what I have seen here.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Please do not attend K12 schooling. My daughter went for a year & she was constantly swamped with work. The teachers barely teach anything. There are always problem with it. The teachers never answer direct questions as well as threatening to kick my daughter out because of missing 1 day. Please do your child a favor & don't attend this school!!!!

Original review: June 18, 2019

I'm reading all these reviews and though some are great some of these reviews are ridiculous. My 8 year old just finished 2nd grade here (kindergarten and 1st in another cyber school that I decided wasn't challenging enough, so we went with K12) and my boy passed with flying colors! How, why?! Because we worked hard and when you put hard work out you'll get great results which is something you need to learn early on in life if you want to be successful at anything you do. We do asynchronous classes, at our own pace, and it can be a lot but if we can get straight A's there is no reason that you can't either, or you are doing something wrong. Tutoring is available if your child is failing and yes, you may be on the computer longer than you want to if you don't understand the work but if you want to understand it then you need to study or of course you'll fail. It's simple to understand.

No, this isn't a social platform so don't expect to make friends that easily. There are groups online outside of K12 for homeschoolers alike to meet and make friends. There is also Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Complaining about the lack of social interaction in a cyber school is useless, what do you really expect them to do to help you make friends via their online school? Really, suggest things to them and I'm sure they'll listen. K12 has been one of the best decisions we ever made for our child. He is shining like the bright star that he is and we couldn't be happier or more grateful for what K12 has made possible for us. It's honestly not possible for him to get a better education than he's getting right now and this is free of cost, that's amazing!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I was a student at this school and I when I first signed up for it. I was looking forward to it being a great and exciting school, but it turned out to be really bad. First off, there was no social interactions at all. My mom received an email telling that there was a student meeting near my area, but as we drove there, we found literally no one. The clubs were very bad as well and there was a low variety to choose from and everything in this school is all online. Teachers are also very bad with directions and communication, especially with email. Ever since I took the STAAR test, I was waiting for the longest time for my results and never received it until I emailed my advisor, in which she told me that I can look at it myself. If your child is considering doing K12 or any online school, my advice from my experience is that you're either really going to like it or really going to hate it depending on if online school is best for them.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I started this school around the end of last year, leading into this year (2019) and I'm afraid this school has just not been for me. I am a very visual person, so when learning it's difficult to really understand the lessons in this. There are slides of few words around up to ten slides a lesson with a checkpoint quiz at the end. The setup works for some, but like me I need visual and more to learn instead of a quick little reading and then a quiz.

Original review: May 20, 2019

Hi. My name is Doordell and this school is a waste of time. My son been here for 6 years and stayed back twice. And he was a excellent student and we had to pay 483 dollars every year. I would not go to this school.

Original review: May 20, 2019

In home school (K12) isn't the best one to put a child in. It's stressful. The outings are once in a blue moon. My teachers are nice but they get mad quickly if you don't participate. Also you have to be sitting or they will put you in a "zzz" room or they will kick you out. LOTS OF EMAILS. Homework is a lot.

Original review: May 20, 2019

It's my first year in (Georgia Cyber Academy). I thought I would like it but I don't. Even When they give work out, it's always a lot to do. I understand that you have to do it, but at least give us a break. The teachers are okay. The biggest problems is that they don't even help you as much as they say they are.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My son graduated from K-12 in 2018, and his overall experience from this so called “school” was absolutely terrible. First of all, the teachers assigned an overwhelming amount of assignments in each class and they wouldn't really care why he failed or fell behind. Also the class connect sessions were practically useless as they were very bad teaching the material so he would always have to stay on the computer for almost the whole day just to catch up with the coursework. Whoever is reading this don’t make the same mistake. I advise other parents to stay away from this place and take your kids to a different school or at least to a different online school.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have been searching and researching online schooling for my son to start in the fall of this year. I contacted 4 other virtual academies and K12 was the first one. I started the application process online at the end of March 2019, spoke with three representatives and completed a phone interview. During the phone interview (and via email) I had informed K12 that I will complete the process, give access to his school records and finish everything by May 23, 2019 (his last day of school). His school district will not let me withdraw him nor release his records until he completes the year. We were also waiting for his AIR state exams at the end of April. The representatives I spoke with knew all of this and stated that we are all good to go.

Well, I have been receiving 4-6 calls daily from them and most I do not answer but they're not leaving a message. When an actual message was left it was just a courtesy call if we needed any help to contact them. Not even 30 days later his application was cancelled because they claim they cannot reach us, which is a lie. We went with Connections Academy instead. K12 wouldn't even let us complete everything as we discussed, very unprofessional and unorganized.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've been attending K12 for a few years now. I thought it was absolutely great. All these negative reviews really took me by surprise. My teachers are all absolutely amazing and extremely supportive. And we actually do not get a lot of homework. We have an average, if not little load of work in total. If you need help with anything, you contact a teacher and they help you out with it.

They organize help sessions, even one on ones to fit your schedule. If you get behind in school and need help managing your school work and person life, they will help you. I usually understand everything but if I don't, I ask a teacher and they are more than willing to spend long amounts of time to help you understand. It's a wonderful school, honestly. They let you correct assignments as many times over as you want to and the tests are extremely easy if you've attended classes. They go over a lot of the question IN THE TEST so it's easy and not stressful for us. We also aren't stressed with due dates. Sure, we have due dates for assignments, but even if we turn it in weeks late, they'll accept it with no questions. They don't deduct points for late submissions.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My son started this program and it was 10 days AFTER school started that he received his loaner computer, so I helped him catch up as he was already 10 days behind in class work. Then we had a plan to catch up all of his homework by its Sunday midnight deadline. I tell my son on Friday to do as much of his homework as he can, and when I get off of work I will help him BUT the computer won’t turn on because the old POS is broken, so I call the school and report it. AND am told that we must have broken it and it will be at least 10 more days before we can get a new one!!! At this point, I withdraw my student from this ridiculous place!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Okay, so I started this school because I'm a professional actor. I thought it was flexible with my schedule. That was furthest from the truth. If I could rate this a zero TRUST ME, I would! The teachers are so boring and un-energetic. The work-load is so ridiculous that I have emotional breakdowns during my tests. The class connects are a waste of your time and useless crap. PLEASE don't send your kids here if you want them to be emotionally stable. The teacher will tell your kids the rudest things and will be unapologetic. They LITERALLY give 30 assignments each day! If you like being ridiculed, stressed, emotionally depressed, sleep deprived, FAILING, pulverized by the useless work, and deal with suckface teachers, then FINE! Be my my guest and enroll in this mentally ill "Learning" trap. Be smart and stay away!!!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We enrolled my son into the Tennessee Virtual Academy, one of the K12 Inc. schools for 7th grade. My son has ADHD and was on an IEP. I thought I was doing the right thing. Let me also say that at the time I had just start working for K12 as an Enrollment Consultant I was initially impressed. Then the decline. My son was not receiving any special education services and the SPED director for the school told us that he didn't need an IEP. We disagreed adamantly but she reassured us that he would do better with a 504 plan with similar accommodations. This was false. He struggled terribly. More and more responsibility was put on my wife and myself to become a sort of "teacher" in the home full time to support him. We both work (she from home). In a few of my conversations in my work with other parents where I very delicately tried to give them the benefit of my experience, I was given a warning.

I was instructed that I was to enroll every student I could without regard for my personal knowledge of what would make things worse for their student. This went on in my job for a full 4 1/2 years while my son was only with the Tennessee Virtual Academy for 2 years. Bottom line is that K12 and whichever school they are selling is mostly not for the common student. And these schools are largely sold as "free", "tuition-free", or "public". They cost the parent in time and resources that are usually handled by a traditional public school. Online school should only develop from existing public schools as an earned option for some students. As for these K12 schools? Remember that it is "free" because you're not the customer. Your child is the PRODUCT. The buyer is taxpayer and K12...they're just a storefront.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I've been in K12 (Georgia Cyber Academy) for 5 years and it's been the worst 5 years of my life. The only reason why I starting doing online school is because I have anxiety and agoraphobia. My middle school was ok but when I got into high school it was a nightmare. There are so many class connects that I hardly ever had time to do my class work. Whenever I skipped the class connects to do my work my teacher would email and call saying that I need to attend all live classes and that they are mandatory.

The class connects are a total waste of time to even attend. All the teacher does is go on and on about stuff you're not even learning. I could have used all that time spent in the useless class connects on my school work but I couldn't 'cause they're mandatory. In one of my math classes I took every single test and got A's and B's on all of them and my grade was 10% and there is no way for that to be possible. So I emailed my teacher to see why that was and she told me that I needed to do unit 7. How am I supposed to do unit 7 if there isn't even a unit 7 in the OHS to do? They have cheated me out of so many of my credits and now I'm so far behind and there is no way for me to catch up in time so that I would be able to graduate this year.

My teachers say that I'm not doing my work when I clearly am. This school has caused me so much stress and is the reason why I'm dropping out of school and getting my GED instead 'cause that's really all I can do at this point. If you're thinking about putting your child in K12 please don't, it'll be the biggest mistake you'll ever make for them. You'll only cause them stress and they'll get behind just like I did. If I could I'd give this school a -5.

K12 Company Information