2.6/5 (268 ratings)

About K12

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

You are better off staying away. They were not good before when trying to get my child in and their behavior continued afterwards. This is not based on your schedule like is claimed. Received an auto reply from a teacher that said, "I don’t have time to explain to you again." Not able to help with basic questions. You must not only do the work and be online, but log the hours even if you have shown you were online and make every class connect. It is possible to still receive emails saying your child did not do the work.

If your child is absent from class connects because of computer issues- you are automatically going to be in trouble. They have so many other issues, but I just don’t have the time nor mindset right now to say. I am flabbergasted as to how fair they have fallen and this year they showed their worst side yet. It is not at all what they make it out to be and not very beneficial to most students especially if you child has a chronic illness or is autistic.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I sent an email on 17 August for assistance. Today is September the 30th and a representative finally called me back after multiple deadlines have passed. K-12's enrollment process is stressful when you run into issues and need to speak to someone, especially before a deadline. I enrolled my children into another school and I wouldn't recommend K-12 to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

I was going to enroll my daughter to K12 but I kept missing the deadline because most of all her documents were rejected. I submitted her immunization and physical papers and they kept rejecting them, also her transcripts kept getting rejected. I put up with this crap for 3 weeks until I gave up. So I enrolled my daughter in Acellus Academy, the enrollment process was less than 5 minutes and she started her classes the same day.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I have missed their deadline twice because no one reviewed the submitted documents. Now that they finally reviewed the documents, only one of my 3 children was accepted and the other 2 got almost every document rejected, even though I submitted the same for all 3. They even rejected the State issued Certificates of birth. They are either Inexperienced or just don't care.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I am sending a picture of my wait time included and the number where it says add photos. I waited 2 hours on the phone to enroll my daughter and someone came to the phone and was chewing and moving. All I could of thought of was, was I being scam, because when I was hitting button 2 on my phone for public home schooling for my daughter it kept going to tuition private homeschooling which was button 2, but that’s their number. K-12 is so stressful because I want to enroll my daughter in a school.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

To enroll for virtual academy has been a complete joke. Hour + long calls, total confusion on their end. I have to follow up on everything, all documents sent, everything because nothing gets done. This is children's education K12 is screwing around with. Makes me nervous about the program altogether. We have no idea if our child can participate or not even though all qualifications and documents are met.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

K12 makes theirs commercials seems likes that ALL STATES are FREE tuitions, BUT are is not true. It should be in small print or large print, where as you can see it. The commercials gets kids HOPES UP FOR future home teaching when our kids needs it the most. My granddaughter is an excellent student and was hoping for K12 but can't now due to the cost. She can't get the covid-19 shot due to what is it, plus we don't have any health insurance. Now we are faced to send her back to school to get the virus. GOD BLESS MY GRANDDAUGHTER.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I am shocked by the negative reviews about this school. It has been a refreshing return to higher standards for my son. We moved here from another state, and I was beyond disappointed by his local middle school. He was in honors classes, and I never saw homework or studying, and he still came home with good grades. Having come from a college prep school with a challenging curriculum, NMDCA marked a returned to higher standards. It is challenging, but I found the teachers so helpful. Many had regular small-group tutoring sessions available weekly. They were happy to work with our schedule on due dates. NMDCA always responded to me and my son and were very accommodating.

Once my son did not want to move to a new teacher’s class. He was allowed to stay in his original class. I was critical because there were no honors classes, and by the end of the year, they tested and placed my son in a gifted program. I received quick responses from teachers and the advisors were great. Even though it is a career-focused school, it is an excellent school that also prepares students for college. We are returning next year even though brick-and-mortar schools are open. The only thing I advise is that parents expect that students may need extra help at times from a learning coach, tutoring from a tutor or teacher, or extra time for certain projects. Parents cannot expect that most students can breeze through it all on their own. To me, this is how I know my son is challenged and learning. I would recommend it to anyone who wants the best education possible for their child.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I have been trying to enroll my child in K12 VA since 4/3. The report card was rejected because they said they need a letter from my child's teacher saying she was on grade level. After I provided the letter from my childs' teacher stating she is on grade level k12 rejected the letter only to say they wanted the final report card. Which was not being sent out because of my child attending school virtually. So, I had to wait for the snail mail. Meanwhile, I get waitlisted but somehow K12 was able to keep enrolling other students without report cards.

Today 6/30 I submit the final report card and that gets rejected. You can't talk to anyone on the phone because they have filled all the classes so they only want to talk to you if you want to pay for their private academy. Which is a whole other review. I was able to chat with someone who tells me oh the report card was rejected because there was no letter from the teacher (the same one I provided in April) saying my child is on reading level. Also, all of your submissions are on their website. So, I ask why do I have to keep submitting the same documentation over and over? Even though I was told we need the final report card. It has been one big circle and now I wouldn't even want my child to go there if this is just the run-around enrollment process. What is really going on?

Original review: June 24, 2021

My son attended this school and it was very disappointing. First of all the grading system was set up for him to fail. Any public school in South Carolina is not based on weighted grades. My son made up and retested and still failed. These teachers hardly held class. This was disaster. Homeschool your children.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Do not go to this school period. There are 1,000 people in ONE grade.... you have like an essay to write each day along with 6 other lessons and a meaningless PE class for kindergarteners? They have to shut down the website each week because it needs "maintenance". There is not art class nor language class LIKE WHY??? The website signs you out every 30 mins??? Um what the frick but it gets a 1 star because my Math teacher was not the worst... but what the heck people actually like this school? So in some units it's extremely easy and you always seem to be on the unit forever then come. Calculus and we study that for like one week and get tested. :) I could go on but I think you have heard enough. If you want to join this school go ahead. I will come to your funeral. I remind you of your grades of the one miserable year in K12. Have a great day. :))))))):

Original review: March 10, 2021

There is so much wrong with this school. I could literally write an autobiography on everything wrong with K12. My children will be going back to a real school in the fall or a truly good accredited homeschool curriculum or private school. K12 is not a school. Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I have been a student since 2014 when I was in 4th grade. Let me just say firstly, those beginning years were during my happy years of life. They literally REQUIRED you to spend at least 8 hours a day to complete your daily schedule. I was 9 years old. My parents and I had a life too ya know?? Moving on later to my late middle school years where I fell into depression. I was getting at least 4 TGA (Teacher Graded Assignments) along with quizzes each day. I've had many teachers who just never get to the point until the last remaining moments leading to you having to be self-taught. With all of that, the work piled on my overdue list dragging my grades leading to more stress and headaches.

Almost every day I'd have a list of live sessions ranging from 9 A.M to 3 P.M which is about 4 - 5 of those. If you miss a certain amount of them, no matter the excuse, you'll prob receive a warning to be kicked out. I'm in high school now and it's only gotten worse. Same **, just more time consuming and harder. All I ask is why? I literally don't see how any of this is going to help me build a good future. This school literally goes by "more work = success". Not all was bad, though! I've had some cool teachers who were very understanding. I have ADHD and so it meant a lot when they used the extra time to go in-depth when explaining.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

4 months of back and forth and now crickets. What a joke to enroll a child in school. This used to be a good pro6 but it has deteriorated. Programs to download documents don't work and no one returns calls. There are other options ☺️.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My daughter is a senior in high school. Before the pandemic she was an honor student. She's actually already taking online college classes while still in high school and doing well. Our school chose K12 for us during the pandemic as a provider for virtual school. This has been the most anxiety producing experience of my daughter's school career. Numerous times her online math teacher has been missing or has changed in one semester. We wait 6 to 8 weeks for work to be graded and entered by K12 teachers.

She has no idea for months what her grades are. She doesn't know if she is prepared for the final exam because she doesn't know what errors she made during earlier tests. It has jeopardized her grade point average and chance for scholarships and jeopardized her graduation. This is a student who was on track to graduate with honors.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I actually enjoy the online school so far and I really like it because it is easy access and you can log in and get your assignments done right away. I joined in August with corona going on and The only thing I didn't like was one of the tech support numbers I was speaking to get help on something yelled at me and I thought that was very unprofessional of her. And asking me odd questions that had nothing to do with anything I needed help on. And she didn't even help me with anything! She basically would waste your time yelling at you the whole time. So it's like a waste of time because she didn't even help me with anything. If I could get her name that would be nice so I could report her. I just needed help with I had my account in my learning coaches account instead of mine. But then I talked to someone else who could help me with that so that was nice of her.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

My daughter is 6 years old and is in 1st grade. To complete the K12 program, our schooling time is already at 7 hours on average not counting breaks. Counting breaks (which our daughter needs because she is only 6 years old) we are at about 9 hours on average a day. This is more than she would be doing at public school, and is too much workload. We are at her (and our) limit. We have a toddler also and jobs and hobbies, family time, and other common tasks to do each day and this is ridiculous.

Bouncing between Stride, Google Classroom, IXL, my daughter's emails, her K12 login and my K12 login to complete her daily attendance, taking photos, sending photos to computer, downloading to computer, uploading to google classroom, completing exit tickets, and all of this in addition to her several daily classes - all of which have both online and offline work, and now requiring her to read 2 books a week (recorded for her teacher to review) has maximized our schedule and we cannot complete more than this. All of these things and more is what K12 expects from a student IN 1st GRADE! I can't imagine what they expect from higher grade levels.

The sheer amount of books our daughter is required to use for her classes would appear as though she is in high school or college. If our daughter's teacher or K12 adds any more time to our schedule we will NEED to change to a different curriculum. I give this curriculum 1 star for burdening my 1st year old (and our family) with far too much work. I have had many emotional breakdowns because the workload keeps getting heavier and heavier, and I've dealt with a lot of stress in my life so I'm far from a snowflake. Also, there is little instruction regarding math (the parent is basically required to come up with math problem explanations) so it is no wonder K12 students keep failing important math exams.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

We live in USA for more than 5 years, my son is in online private academy now and I never had such a bad experience with any schools in my life. Be prepared for tons of useless calls from random people with same questions when you already submitted all papers (which satisfies all other online schools except this one). Looks like this school does everything to not accept your child..

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Teachers are great, enrollment is a nightmare. We are three months into school and they now need MORE documentation or my kids are unenrolled. They were approved in July, now they do not accept our papers we sent in. My kids have their fathers last name, not mine, we have not been married yet but they are requiring a marriage license or divorce decree stating why my last name is different from my children's. They keep asking for proof of income verification, but will not send me the paperwork for both children to fill out.

They keep threatening to drop my kids and lock them out of their accounts, so I send the documents asked for, but keep getting rejected. I try to call, and no one answers. I get no calls back. No email. No communication other than an email saying I can not respond. I try to change our address, because we bought a house and moved, no one knows who I contact for that. The enrollment people are a joke. I wish I would've seen reviews before putting my babies in this crap. It is way more stressful than we need at a time like this. If our documents were not approved three months ago, they should have said that then, not when we are this far in to lessons. Highly do not recommend K12.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We are only 3 weeks in... and my kids are miserable. I have to figure out another solution stat. The teachers are horrible. They won't respond back, they end class whenever they feel like it, and assign you homework from Khan Academy. We can go to that site ourselves. We don't need them. We feel like they are doing nothing for us except sending us a computer to use. But the catch is... they can watch your kids and control the computer. It is really creepy! They blocked my daughter's computer when she wrote an email asking her teachers & Administration for help. Glad we have other computers in our home. We don't need them. They are not doing their jobs!! I hope this helps someone else. I wish I would have looked at reviews before we enrolled our children in their school.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

This school has some serious administration issues. I have four children that I am enrolling into school via k12 in SC. We moved from IL where we did homeschool for 4 years. Three of my four were accepted easily and pretty quickly. My 8th grader has had a completely different experience. They have given us the hardest time for her. Mind you, all their documents are the same other than their personal info changed. Same forms, same history, documents etc. They have accepted three but not the 4th which is exactly the same. School started weeks ago and they continue to put us through the ringer asking for documents for her that do not even exist. I am told by customer service that different processors do things differently which is CRAZY. There should be a set of guidelines they are required to follow, not go at their own discretion. I would look at all other options before deciding to put yourself through this stressful situation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

This is the WORST experience EVER. I still am waiting for classes, teachers, and books. On top of that I have to go on a scavenger hunt to find my homework, which by the way it takes longer to find my homework than it does to do it!!! The website is EXTREMELY hard to navigate and find almost any useful information. When it is time to for a meet I have multiple stacked on top of each other. When they send my emails EVERYONE has a copy of itself. This is the WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Getting my sons into this program was simple and easy. But that’s where the ease stops. We’ve encountered so many technical problems on the school part this year that it cost us our spot. My 3rd grade student was attending the OLS classes everyday and working very hard in the online classes and his book work. Now I have two students in this program and things got really bad this year. Only half the time the school was messaging me about my students did I ever know which one it was actually for which lead to a lot of misconceptions. They’ve had a massive amount of technical difficulties in the OLS and class connect sessions. Because of those issue it would register my children as either not doing the work or simply not there at all.

I received two emails about my student missing days, but the emails didn’t specify which student it was for, and since I’d gotten an email for my youngest student from his math teacher about a missed class, I assumed the others were for him too. Him being in kindergarten, it’s been a hard start, so I had thought it was for him. My third grader had been working everyday and attending the live sessions. Unfortunately it turned out that the issue was for my 3rd grader. They claimed he’d missed days, was behind in work and he was being removed from the programs completely. When I tried to email or call I kept getting put off, lead around, or told to talk to administration. Which I had been vigorously.

To keep from getting truancy charges pressed against me by the school I had to run and put my 3rd grader in a traditional brick and mortar school, because the other online programs were no longer accepting students. After informing the school of my sons transfer to a new school and gave them all the information they need to contact them, they still sent me letters about Truancy. This program has beyond stressed me and my family out and cause unnecessary frustration. It seems like no matter how hard we tried or what we did to try and do the work, keep up with class, try and stay in contact with everyone it was useless.

I tried to contact everybody possible that had given me their emails including head of school, homeroom teachers, Live session teacher, advisors and advocates but it was all in vain as the school had made up their mind and wouldn’t work with us any further. It has been very disappointing with how the school has handled the situation. Especially after we went to another school and they still are emailing me about Truancy.

Original review: March 31, 2020

Pros:

Prompt Delivery of Materials
Easy enrollment

Teachers have been nice

Cons:
Materials were incomplete
Books do not match what the website says.
Confusing to navigate the multiple websites and accounts they make you use.
Instructions are vague.
Very frustrating to figure out what your child needs to do every day.
Having to make MULTIPLE calls EVERY DAY to the school/teacher to decipher the lesson instructions.

Having to leave messages and wait for a call/email back. Lots of sitting around and waiting to hear back, not able to continue due to lack of clear instructions.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Guy actually hung up on me after he explained I couldn't use my electricity bill as proof of residency since my utility company put a shut off notice at the top of the bill. Guess poor kids don't get an education.

Original review: March 25, 2020

The enrollment process was seamlessly easy. We enrolled our youngest two boys in the program last year and they have accepted and excelled at it! VAVA is a great program in Virginia that has done more for my boys in 6 months then the brick and mortar schools ever did. We have one adhd/autism child and he got more from this school then his brick and mortar ever offered. Not only has he excelled but his grades are better, his support is better, and he is happier than he ever had been!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We took our child out of public school for many reasons, but the final straw was the bad crowd she started hanging around scared us for her future. K12 was the obvious choice. Enrollment was a piece of cake and the supplies and equipment they sent was VERY impressive and surprising and for those two aspects I give 5 out of 5, but that's where the good news ends.

At first we were unable to provide as much time as she required due to our busy schedule and she was failing every class, eventually I got to dedicate a few weeks to be with her and assist in all aspects and I was VERY disappointed in what I saw! In about half the classes 90% of class time is wasted as the teacher spends it getting on to other students who are being disruptive, there is a chat box where students flood it with foolishness and topics unrelated to the class subject matter so when a student does ask a question it gets buried in comments about video games or complaints, or multiple students just chatting with one another and so my daughter never could get clarification so was stuck and struggled to learn anything further.

About 1/4 the time either the teacher showed up late to his or her own class, didn't show at all, or claimed to be having technical issues with their mic or software so they either had to end class early or skip that material temporarily which made things difficult in the learning process as you can imagine. The grades displayed in the app are rarely accurate and I found myself disciplining my daughter for things that were not even her fault like taking away her phone because she failed a test when she didn't, and there would be notices of missed or late assignments showing but after speaking with her teacher I discovered that the information was incorrect and that she hadn't missed anything and not even the teacher knew why it kept showing up or how to correct it.

The textbooks are full of information regarding the subject matter but contain no practice examples for the student to do in order to really learn. What happened to the old math textbooks that gave you a few worked out examples and on the next page provided you with 20 or more blank examples that you could do for practice and then check the back of the book for the answers to see how well you did? BRING THOSE BACK PLEASE!

One of the most concerning things was the frequency of classes, right in the middle of a semester with no holidays or schedule breaks of any kind there would be periods where she would only have math once a week and multiple days she would only have 1 or two classes a day...unacceptable! I think perhaps the most disturbing thing of all is that they allow the students to take and retake quizzes and assignments 3 or more times regardless of the grade or when it is due. I'm all for learning the material more so than consequences for not learning it, however when you give a young student that much power then they have no reason to even study, they can just guess at the answers until they get them all correct and have an "A", I do not think this is a very wise signal that we are sending them, in the real world you get one chance, if you are EXTREMELY lucky you might get two, but never 3, 4, and 5 chances at the same thing.

I think this just gives the student a false sense of security regarding their knowledge because this method focuses more on the grade than learning the material and I strongly disagree. I received an email several weeks ago from a woman who claimed to be the one to go to for any questions or concerns, she even provided me with a number that I could text her so I sent most of this to her and did not get a response, then replied to her email still nothing.

After sitting with my daughter for almost a month straight attending every class she had, going through the motions 100% as if I was back in school myself I was able to help set her on some better habits and teach her how to take notes and study, instill in her the importance of listening and reading, she is now making A's in every class and on the surface you'd think that is great, unfortunately I've come to a sad realization that she has only learned how to better manipulate K12's system because now she goes in and takes tests and assignments over and over just to get the A and all the benefits that come with a straight A student. I fear that she will end up an honor student all the way through high school and when she gets into college will be completely unprepared for anything that is thrown at her. If you truly care about your child's education and not just their safety or your convenience, do not send them to K12, you have been warned.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My daughter is currently in enrolled in VaVa and has been for 2 years and really enjoyed Kindergarten because she had a great teacher that didn't play favorite or put the child on the spot. But since she's in 1st grade it seems like her teacher plays favorite and only points out certain students are doing well instead of the whole class which isn't right. The main reason I placed her in K12 was because of the nonsense that goes on in public schools but now I'm seeing some of the same things. My daughter enjoyed the class connects before but now she doesn't. Dont get me wrong. I the classes only last for 30 mins but her teacher teaches for maybe 5 mins and then sends them breakout rooms instead of her teaching a lesson. So I'm seriously thinking about now enrolling her next year if this same teacher is going to be a 2nd grade teacher as well.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Our daughter has attended k12 online school for 5 years now. This will be the last! K12 Florida section for Hogg school children is careless and terrible. Administration does not care about failing test scores or failing grades. Perfectly happy that only 30 percent of student get passing grades in core subject areas. This is Absurd and appalling! When your student is struggling in a class they do not care and shown no concern.

One math teacher for all 9th grade students and she is too busy to be bothered to help a child struggling. Principal is careless and does not promptly if ever return emails or calls about concerns you have with your child. Some of the teachers are terrific-but a carefree administration combined with teachers who are too busy to help your child if they struggle is wrong. No such thing as resources or tutors to help students who struggle in on area or another is ignorant. They simply just seem to care about a check on payday and not really concerned on educating youth.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I needed a simple email or document stating that my son is a full time student (this is his second year). I called five numbers, spoke to several agents and didn't get any information. I was advised to contact the homeroom teacher who proceeded to tell me that I would need to call the school admissions. I was then sent a form from admissions to fill out to get enrollment proof. I filled it out and returned it. The homeroom teacher the next day sent the same form and asked for it to be completed, so I did and returned it. Then he sent me a message stating that they do not provide enrollment letters. I got in touch with a higher office and they told me that one of the managers would be contacting me back. It has been a week and nothing is resolved. All I need is proof that my son is a student. No one can assist me with this and I keep getting sent in circles with no resolution.

K12 Company Information