2. Education
  3. Online Homeschools

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.54/5

K12 Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about K12?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I enrolled my 6th and 8th grader into K12 as an alternative to brick and mortar because we were coming off of a homeschooling season and we wanted to transition our children back into a more traditional school without the culture shock of a new school in a new city. Upon the enrollment process I made this clear to the admissions counselor and enrollment advisors and provided documentation to support our circumstances. I also voiced my concern for the kids beginning their curriculum as the enrollment process has left them 1 month late to the 2019-2020 school year. They began school and worked dutifully to be prepared to start next week with their new classes and on course where the other students should already be in the school year.

During a Help Desk session we were logged out, my account was deactivated and after numerous attempts to reach someone, I received a phone call from someone whom I have never spoken with! She informs me that based on Tx state law, my kids cannot be enrolled in an online public school bc they did not attend public school last year?!?! I explained the same things I had explained 3 times prior (during admissions) my kids were homeschooled through an accredited homeschool academy and provided all transcripts and documentation from their prior public school and their current homeschool, and was told there was nothing they could do to help me. So within one hour we went from, "We are here to help and support your kids in attaining their future potential," to withdrawn.

Like some of the other reviewers, I strongly believe this was a solicitation and attempt to sell us a private online academy. I also do not understand why some refer to this as a healthy homeschool opportunity for students but maybe that's state specific. Texas, specifically, seems to be biased against homeschool families. Document, document, document....I will be filing a complaint with the Texas Education Agency, as well. Good luck parents.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Absolutely horrible, I have never seen anything that was a bigger joke than their enrollment process. Started the process 3 months ago (July 11th 2019) and my son still got waitlisted 'cause they were 6 weeks on approving one document and that was after approving them first then rejecting them then approving the exact same document later. But honestly I think that was just an excuse because on one of my MANY MANY phone calls to them I was suppose to be on hold but wasn't and I heard a little bit of a conversation between the person I was working with and a supervisor where she was told "no" and was shut down from even talking to him about whatever she was trying to do to help me at the time, they just used the paperwork as a stall so he wouldn't get enrolled which is exactly what happened, so now waitlisted 6 weeks after all other schools have started for the year and he's enrolled nowhere.

I find it funny that the same day that the grades are full and people are getting waitlisted is magically the same day my paperwork goes through, I mean I got an email that his paperwork is good then literally an hour and a half later I get another email saying he's waitlisted. Imagine that!!! So yea they are just a joke and a waste of time! And believe me when I say I will be telling anyone and everyone that will listen about this and I will be putting it online every chance I get so people know how this school really works or doesn't work I guess I should say and if I can save one parent from this ** I have been through then I will be happy!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I am homeschooling my two children and this came up as an online option for free public school we could do at home. I started an application but was interrupted. Within a few hours I was called. I explained I needed some more time. The phone calls increased to at least 3 a day, including weekends, plus multiple emails per day. I felt like I had ended up on a telemarketer list. I withdrew my daughter's unfinished application and attempted to delete my private information, only to discover there is no way to do that. The operators say they cannot remove me from email or phone lists, and the emails themselves have no unsubscribe. It felt like harassment, there was no consistency between people I talked to. I am so grateful I did not go all the way through the enrollment process, just imagine what a nightmare it must be to deal with them long term!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I just started attending about a week ago and I thought perhaps I should wait it out and see if things get better but they continue to get worse within the matter of a day. I go to Texas E-school Prep, and my parents and I should have been alarmed when I started enrolling. We sent them my transcripts multiple times but they kept saying it was still needed to be fully accepted, until then I was temporarily accepted which is nothing because I still could not attend school. I did not start school until September 4th and the orientations were little to no help and more of a "get to know me" for the administrators seeing as how they rarely provide any help in what they insist they're there for.

The main issue I have already developed in only the span of ONE WEEK, is the class connects. The class connects are pointless and hold us back from completing the abundant amount of courses that are given but that's a whole different issue. In my class connects my teachers will be talking about something entirely different from what the courses themselves are teaching. For example, my chemistry teacher is currently talking about scientific notation in her class connects, but the courses are talking about mixtures and pure substances. I only have one teacher that teaches along with the course and that is my Algebra teacher. The class connects are a conflict because they are overall useless, and a waste of time.

That brings me to the courses. Of course throughout school years you will revisit subjects you have already learned about, with being said with some of these courses I can identify if I have already learned them before and I can compare my notes from old schools and see that the courses are giving unnecessary information and not directly teaching what needs to be known.

The entire operation of this school system is almost slapdash. There is logically no way for this system to be helpful for someone who join for the sole purpose of "you can work it around your schedule." No, no you can't. Class connects are useless and take up the time necessary to complete the overbearing amount of work given just in a day; for one class I had 44 topics to go through, each topic had about 5-10 slides of information I needed to take notes on or complete practices on. Say we divide those 44 topics and say there's 5 slides for 22 and 10 for 22. Multiplying 5 and 22 as well as 10 and 22 that's 308 problems to solve or pages of unnecessary information of notes, for one class.

This is not even an exaggeration and of course numbers vary but for the sake of quick demonstration I just divided the possible numbers. The courses are set up like Russian dolls, we just see one but open it and there's another within another within another, almost endless. This is just the beginning of my school year at K12 and I don't think there will be any ending.

Do not consider this if you don't want your children to be stressed within just the first week, the school has got a lot of negatives that need to be fixed on their end. Now if you will excuse me, I have to attend my useless class connect for my English class where the teacher boringly rambles on about religion and politics and takes away time from me completing my infinite amount of courses....

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

My daughter was a senior this past year. Had more credits than needed to graduate, high GPA. Was told she was on track to graduate from a phone call and email from ORVA. But, ORVA held her diploma & refused to give it to her because she needed a 77% to pass the Oregon math state test, she received 74%.

The Oregon State math test is a prerequisite to graduate (however we were told her junior year the test was OPTIONAL & not graded that’s why she hadn’t taken it her junior year, it was OPTIONAL). She got hounded about their state test from the first day of her senior year, the following year. Took the test multiple times (4, I believe) so she risked an even lower grade every time she went, even though she didn’t pass by 3%, and it didn’t include all her other classes and job. She given no guidance counselor, no science, no social studies, no chemistry, no biology, only classes to pass the state test, her whole senior year.

My daughter wrote a letter to the Oregon Department of Education to see if they’d sign off on it, so she could receive her diploma because of her other high achievements AND had more credits than she needed to graduate. Although they sympathized with her, regrettably they said, they had to deny it. The Oregon Dept of Education told her they felt bad for her. But, the vice principal & I had exchanged words, I said..."What are you going to do? Deny her, her diploma?" The vice principal said, "As a matter of fact we do, do that." Wow. So they’ve obviously done this before. Talk about lack of integrity. But the “principal” or vice principal wouldn’t sign off on it or whomever the principal was, we hadn’t heard one word from their principal all year! Didn’t even know her name! We guess it wasn’t signed off on because of nothing but spite & the exchange I had with their vice principal.

Vice principal suggested she comes back to be a super senior....for a math state test. 3% differential. Even though she had the credits, grades & 2 ACT Awards. Unbelievable. My daughter said no. We were offered help from their math teacher, who was absolutely horrid. I actually HEARD him talking bad about other students. I heard him say he’s not there to teach students, they should already know these things. told the vice principal my daughter didn’t feel comfortable with him. My daughter told the vice principal herself too! But she kept offering the saaaame teacher. The one that suffered was the student. So my daughter with good grades, worked HARD, extra credits, 2 ACT Awards, didn’t get her diploma. Now can’t go to college. Cries every night (truth).

Beware of this school if you have a high schooler. STAAAAY FAR, FAR AWAY. Would give it less than one star if that was possible. The school actually used to be very good, but the administration of that school (which has changed frequently) is horrid. Please read reviews from other sites. I did try to put her in another online school her junior year....The other school told me her math credits wouldn’t count. When I told the vice principal about that at ORVA, I was basically told that was not true.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

In Aug 2019 I enrolled my child in the K12 online school in FL. School started in our state on Aug 12, 2019. My child was not approved until Sept 2019, this school does not have a waiting list but the time it took to process his application you would think it does. I spent about 3 hours each day on the phone just in the enrollment/application phase with customer service. So at least 60 hours of phone calls. I was threatened by K12 admissions rep that if I did not send my child to a brick and mortar school while his application was pending that I would be reported to the State of Fl for not sending my child to school (as truant). School registration/admissions changed my child's race/ethnicity without my knowledge or consent on his application and disregarded his IEP during application process. Systematically rejected his compliance documents for admission even though it was docs provided by the State and local district.

Courses schedule and layout is confusing. Not much information is contained in course description and basically no syllabus no reference as to which text books are used in which course and where the student should be. This seems to be a volume focused school meaning more focus on the amount of students they can enroll vs the quality of program offered to students. Some courses are live and some are not, if you missed the live sessions there may not be a recorded version. There is no live video of teacher for class. The platform used does not appear suitable (user friendly) for grades k-8.

Teachers should be qualified in the subject that they teach and course materials provided in a timely manner to both teachers and students. School should start on time with the assigned district. The deadline must be met by K12. It is not appropriate that the student shall fall behind on school work or that the teachers face an overload of students while still having to wait on their course materials. Students with disabilities should be taken into consideration and their IEP should be implemented per the 504 plan. I personally did not see any accommodation being given. I think parents that have experienced issues with K12 should file a complaint with the Department of Education not just on Consumer Affairs platform. K12 must do better for our kids, after all they are using our tax dollars. There must be a level of public accountability with this school for both public and private education.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

My daughter has been having problems socially at school. We decided to try to take her out of school and do online school this year. From start to finish the enrollment process was horrible and frustrating. The communication is terrible. I was passed around from person to person and no operator knew what was happening. They either spoke before reading the notes in the history or didn't know what was going on at all! We complied with all the papers needed and spent hours on collecting and submitting compliancy items only to be told that her application was withdrawn due to not submitting them in time. But We were actually told that we had all items initially! It was later when someone told us we were not compliant with documents and therefore not accepted into the school.

I tried to talk to someone in customer service only to be passed around and then put on hold again. It is obvious that this is a juvenile tactic so that people cannot file a complaint. At the end of the day, I really feel that if it is this difficult and ill managed now at the beginning, it is probably better that we don't have to deal with them in the long run. Maybe we have dodged a bullet and this is actually a blessing. I feel like this is their way of pushing the private tuition based program they offer as it was repeatedly offered to me.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Where to begin... Absolutely no support for disabled parents or students, teachers (and I use the word VERY VERY LOOSELY) play favorites, are lazy, only do class connects which parents are supposed to schedule their life around while you see and hear the teacher's kids running around and interrupting class time. In NO WAY is this program set up for people with unconventional schedules.

Everything revolves around what time is good for the teacher not the student and God forbid you have a Dr appt or something. They start trying to kick you out from day 1! They have no compassion or understanding for kids and/or adults. They constantly threaten to expel your kid after the 2nd EXCUSED absence!! Dont put your child or yourself thru the hell called K12!! MY DOG IS A BETTER TEACHER!! DONT FALL FOR THEIR BS!!! WORST "SCHOOL" EVER and I use the term "school" lightly because I dont want to insult a "school" of fish as they would be much better teachers.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Customer service is trash. There is maybe one or two decent people I talked to. The rest treat you like an idiot or like they have so many more important things they could be doing. Enrollment process sucks and I’ve called everyday almost for a month and nobody has helped me. Hope you try every option before K12!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

I was put into K12 in 8th grade after 7 years of public schooling. It completely ruined me. I became very lonely and depressed which also led me to gaining anger issues. I barely passed my algebra STAAR Test (Texas test). I didn’t learn anything and was bored all the time. I hate K12 with every atom in my body. If your child needs social interaction a lot do not put them into K12.

K12 Company Information