Ashford University

Compare Online Colleges

Research top Online Colleges recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I started this college in 2014 and am set to graduate in two months. In all that time I was never told that my loans would be maxed out, in fact, I am the one that had to call the financial department about it, 2 months from graduation!!!! Great, thanks for giving me time to get other funding!! Then when I posted a complaint to the Board of Education and the Attorney General they had their attorney contact me back stating that the school was unaware I was a disabled student! Really? Funny, since their Access and Wellness department has me currently under accommodation for said unknown disability.

If I had known how horrible this school was, I would never have signed up with them in 2014. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot, but in the real world higher education doesn't get you as much as experience, so if you do decide to go back to school, utilize a university you have researched. As they say, buyer beware!!!! This buyer is now aware and won't recommend them to anyone.

Ashford is a great school. A coworker of mine was three years in when she told me that she was attending Ashford. At that time, I was looking to go back to school and was excited to know that Ashford was an online school. I had long determined that "long distance" classes as my local college named them, was the right fit for me. I had literally attended all three local colleges in my area, and I had either withdrawn from too many classes or failed. Therefore, I was not eligible for financial aid until I passed a probationary period and paid out of pocket for them. I did not want to attend the Universities in my area because I did not want to pay high tuition rates, I could not attend traditional classes because I work full time and have small children, and I felt that I was too old to be among a younger crowd. Thus, I read everything about Ashford and their processes on their website.

I was eager to go back to school and with their online classes catering to the working adult, Ashford was a good fit. I was not fond of their high tuition rates, but I felt that I was paying for the convenience of them being able to tailor around my busy work and family life. Later, I learned that the school offers so much support and today I feel that school offers value for their rates and their rates are comparable to other Universities. The writing center has everything you need to become a good writer. You can freely access writing editor websites like Grammarly. During the first few classes, I was babysat and was regularly emailed reminders with deadlines. Later that changed, but the routine is set in which you quickly learn that discussions are due Thursdays and responses, quizzes, or assignments are due by Monday. It never changes. The class structure is designed to help you achieve an eight to ten paper of what was taught.

Each week you are assigned work that will contribute to the final paper that will be due in week five. It is never just thrown on you to ultimately figure out. The course guides are available for any class that the school offers, so you will know what the assignments will be if you plan, but I have always like how they break up the work even if you just take it week by week. When I first enrolled, financial aid took about five months to complete. I had to submit verifications forms and a couple of tax returns. I sent them wrong or incomplete documents at times, so I delayed the process too. Between working full time and not being able to fax or email at work, I did find it frustrating, but I never blamed the school. I viewed it as part of the process, and I did not want to quit or have a tuition bill owed that I knew I would not be able to afford so I worked with them and so did they until we got it completed.

The following years, Ashford did not require anything of me. I just had to complete my yearly FAFSA. I had a grade appeal that I submitted. The teacher had given us a template to fill out and apparently, I had turned in a blank assignment. The teacher gave me a zero and commented that I could redo it and turn in again for credit. I had already completed the work, so I simply turned in the completed assignment again. This time ensuring that it was the correct document. I emailed the professor to remind him to regrade, and he never did. I was a new student, and I trusted that the teacher would hold up his end. Plus, five weeks go by so fast, and I was not worried about it.

In the end, my grade was unchanged, and I asked my advisor what could be done, and I was advised to turn in a grade appeal. I told the school that I had inadvertently turned in a blank template but was able to show that the last time I worked on the completed template was before the due date. To prove it, I submitted the track changes that Word provides to show that I was not lying (which also catches plagiarism). The school spoke to the professor on my behalf and concluded that the assignment should be graded and updated my grade. I believe that my internet connection was weak and caused a glitch when I saved my completed document using the same name as the original template. On other occasions, I was required to work overtime at work, and I could not keep up my job, family, and school. I was getting burned out. I reached out to my advisor again and learned that I could submit an academic leave request.

I learned that they are also cooperative with you if you should get sick, endure an economic hardship, or a natural disaster. On many national holidays, all Ashford students are given one or two-day extensions by the President and notified via email. They keep up with national news and are aware of natural disasters that affect different areas regionally or disasters such as the Orlando nightclub shooting. I find the school is considerate of student's feelings and well-being by doing those things. For anyone that has ever taken an online class especially in Texas as I have, the work always requires comprehension of a lot of reading and strong writing skills which I find Ashford to support.

Online learning requires a degree of confidence in self-learning, although Ashford equips you with tools and encourages the student to know that you are not supposed to know everything to be successful but teach you how to be a learner (student) to learn the information. The learning quest is not a destination but indeed a journey.

Recently, I fell behind on school work and was ready to fail a class (again going through a personal burnout). My professor emailed me to check on me. I had never slacked off completely as I did in this class, and I hate emailing the instructor to make excuses for my shortcomings, so I found it so encouraging that this professor cared that he motivated to do two week’s worth of assignments, plus a final paper all within a week. I passed the class, and this event is what lead me to give Ashford the best rating they deserve for all the good I have experienced at this school. I would recommend Ashford to any working parent that needs to go back to school and needs someone to hold their hand until they are ready to fly. Stay in school!

I have been taking my Project Management degree at AU for 3 years and I will be finished my bachelor's in a month! This school has been awesome from the start and has never given me an issue from day 1. It's weird to read all the negative reviews as I've never had a bad experience. It's not for everyone but those that want to learn quick and get done quick, this school is great!

I started online schooling at Ashford University in 2015, I successfully completed a year and a half worth of schooling and credits when staff members contacted me stating that my personal information was inaccurate and I needed to provide more information. I was in constant contact with my student adviser and the people who are in charge to try to fix the matter. I was told by Ashford University that I could not continue to go to school there because I did not provide the proper information. I was extremely confused because I've already been enrolled and I already gave them my information so all of this made no sense to me at all. As a result of them disqualifying me from continuing my education, I am now forced to pay student loans back much earlier than anticipated because I thought I was going to go to school for at least 4 years.

I feel very vulnerable because I do not know how to file a lawsuit against an online university especially because I do not live in the state that the university is at which is California. Now I owe thousands of dollars that the student loan folks are trying to get from me immediately and I didn't receive the education that I was pursuing leaving me at square one and in debt. I am devastated, confused, and extremely upset with Ashford University for their involvement, or lack thereof. Let me be clear, I was disqualified and told I could not continue to go to Ashford University even though I've never failed a class and I've completed a year and a half worth of schooling and credits. I'm forced to pay student loans without actually completing my education.

Clearly, the most negative reviews are centered on the financial department. To those, welcome to the world of self-accountability. Business is as the saying goes, "business". Education is a business, whether or not a non-profit or a for-profit learning institution. I earned my degree at AU and never had any financial issue that I was not able to correct promptly. It sometimes happens in life as well as during one's college experience. Yup, even in the top schools. The key is to stay on top of your finances in every facet of your life.

My experience was pretty solid. Let's be candid, Ashford cannot compare to Ivy league schools, but it is by far not the worst. Not the best, because some students need hand-holding, face to face interaction with peers and instructors, and lots of guidance. You will not get a monumental level of either, unless you correspond electronically with other students (I did) or prove to your instructor that you have a decent grasp on the subject to care to really learn about the matter. AU is an online platform. It means a hell of a lot of focus, research, and dedication to do well. For those who choose to simply scrape by and get a degree, good luck on that. Sure, you may pass courses by the skin of your teeth. You can do so at any school, can you not? The truth is I have been to a number of brick and mortar schools and met motivated students and those who just wanted to get the paper.

For those with the mindset, "getting it over with" to just get that paper, cool. Sure, it can be done that way at AU. Conversely, those who plan to apply their focus and energy to learn about writing and other skills, Ashford can be very demanding, depends on the instructor. However, to truly benefit from the Ashford experience, study hard and learn to research. I am a better person for the experience and a much better professional. In the end, if a student sacrifices time and effort, what does that person have to lose? On the other hand, pay attention to details. Track your financial packages. After all, sacrifices and wasted energy amount to nothing if you drop the ball on the financial side of the field.

Be smart, attentive, and proactive concerning your financial well being and you will do well, at Ashford and in other areas of your life. Many who are contemplating enrolling at Ashford, understandably question its legitimacy, because of negative reviews. Believe me, AU is legit! The question is: Are you ready to challenge yourself and become a better person?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ashford University?

I contacted Ashford University in March to obtain information concerning their Bachelor's Degree Program. The first counselor I spoke with " Vincent" was trying to push me into signing up for classes, even after I mentioned I was looking into my options. I requested no call back due to his aggressive attitude but received one anyways. I have received other calls from them and I told them I've found a program to attend. Just yesterday, I got another phone call from Amy, who was just as rude and pushy as the previous counselor. I'm blocking the number in my phone.

There is no equity in dispersing course assignments across the university. Faculty Schedulers nor Human Resource Manager are considerate enough to contact you directly in regards to dismissal due to course shortages. This is a really poor way to operate an institution and is reflective in the disgruntlement from learners.

A few months ago, I started receiving suspicious calls from 800-798-0584 that I let go to voicemail just to be safe. A woman identifying herself as "Ashley" from "Ashford University" started each message with, "Hey Brooke, this is Ashley. I've been sending you many emails and am trying to reach you to help you understand what you need to be doing next for class..." First of all, my name isn't Brooke. Second, I had never heard of, contacted, or enrolled at Ashford University in my life. I thought maybe it was an honest mistake - like a wrong number call - and so I let it go.

Almost immediately I started getting calls from another suspicious number ** in New Baltimore, MI that I, again, let go to voicemail to be on the safe side. This time it was a gruff sounding man who proceeded to berate me and said things like, "Brooke! This is your father! I don't know what the ** you think you're doing but you better get your ** home..." He also left threatening messages with many expletives about how Ashley is trying to reach me to help me and urged me to call her back.

In total, "Brooke" received 4 voicemails from "her father" and 5 from "Ashley." I saved them all because of how scary and urgent the content from both callers was. I figured Ashford University wasn't real and that these two individuals were just running a scam that I'd eventually need to alert the police about. Ashley said in her messages that she "received my emails" and that we had set up specific times to talk to each other that I kept blowing off... and I kept thinking, there is no way a real University would operate this way and employ such brazen, immature, seemingly uneducated staff lacking all self-awareness. Why would a credible college adviser repeatedly call and leave messages like this if the individual they were attempting to reach obviously wasn't returning any calls?

It would have been blatantly obvious to any legit adviser that my number isn't "Brooke's" number because I state my name in my recorded prompt to leave me a voicemail.... and my name isn't Brooke! I can see an adviser making the mistake one time, but wouldn't the second message of a smart individual go something like, "hello, this is Ashley from Ashford. this message is intended for Brooke... if you are not Brooke, I apologize and you will not hear from me again... *click*?? But then, I googled Ashford University. And I stumbled upon these reviews and was blown away. That place is real and people have obviously been lied to, bullied, and had their money stolen. What happened to a lot of other people sounds eerily similar to what Ashley was trying to do to me... er, Brooke??

Maybe "Brooke" is a real person who got herself involved in this school and then got sick of them harassing her so she gave them a random fake number (Mine. Thanks Brookie.) I can't even blame her though. And maybe that really was her dad, screaming and calling her names, yelling at her to "get her ** life together," in which case... I'm sorry Brooke. That's not how you deserve to be spoken to by anyone. Any man. Particularly, a father. Good call on giving him the fake number too. (Mine. Ugh.)

It may still all have been a scam that has nothing to do with Ashford; Brooke may not be real; Ashley and dad may be creepy con artists headquartered in someone's basement; who knows. But I wrote this review in case it wasn't. In case these people really are University representatives and this is how things truly operate at Ashford. After reading about the tactics the school employed against its students, It doesn't sound that far-fetched anymore. Buyer beware.

I am now starting my third year at Ashford University and I truly wish I had attended a different university. You're on your own when it comes to technical issues. I waited two weeks for a response when I couldn't log in via a laptop, a tablet or their app. I hired a tech to troubleshoot and it was a problem on their end, not mine. Fixed after 3 weeks of inconveniences and countless phone calls to their Tech Dept.(which kept passing the buck elsewhere). Also, I had to drop a class after having emergency GI surgery, 7 transfusions and a 6-night hospital stay. I'm still fighting to receive my credit back to my account for dropping the class. That was 8 months ago...

I have been attending for 5 years. Suffered a great deal but still kept going to school. Not once did they tell me that if I continued through to graduation that I would run out of money. I think it's unfair because I would have gladly agree to release a percentage of my stipend to pay for it... They never said anything!!! For 5 years nothing... Now, I am suddenly out of funding??? How am I supposed to know that I got all my money... I was told by an advisor when I enrolled that my loans and grants would cover my education and that I would only owe the government not Ashford. That's why I signed up... I was burned before by AIU... They did the same thing so I was being cautious but after he told me that I was glad and grateful that I would be getting my degree at 50 years. Now this!!

Very disappointed in this schools who take advantage of people who of ignorant to all the facts. They should be fined by the Department of Education... and forced to close their doors. I understand making a profit for at whose expense. Me just trying to make it by earning a degree so I can acquire a better job to take care of myself and not be homeless and living with my parents at 50! Yes 50!

I inquired about their Master's degree program and let them know very clearly I was only calling to get information about how their program works and that I was just beginning to look at schools. I was put through to an advisor who sent me the information and asked if I would like to put my free application through to see if I would qualify. I thought it couldn't hurt. As I was filling the application out and the advisor was spacing out when I asked questions and at one point was even laughing at herself because she "thought of something that would be funny"'. After that she said she would call me the next day at 6:15pm. No call. At 9:45pm she asked if she could call. I said I had to get up early so just email me from now on.

She called 4 times in one hour the next day, and another 4 times the next day and sent several emails that I needed to get stuff done. If that wasn't harassing enough, she emailed me with the subject line "how come I can't reach you". That doesn't sound like a master's educated person first off. I then explained myself again that I was just starting to look at schools and that I would contact her with my decision. She then claimed I signed some agreement that I would start classes the next day. I said there was no way I was doing that and I was no longer interested in attending Ashford if they bully people into signing up.

She suddenly turned apologetic and said "go ahead and research other schools and let me know. Do you see any you like more?" I did not respond and got another phone call the next day! Very unprofessional! They bully you into taking classes by making you believe you've signed up for classes you did not and that you will get in "trouble" if you don't. Never give them a second look!

I am currently a student at Ashford University and have been attending this school since January 17th of 2017. This is the very first time that I have attended school for as long as I have and have yet to receive any financial aid. According to them my financial aid was disbursed on March 21st two months prior to my enrollment, and yet to receive my stipend. When I called and asked about the information prior to the disbursement date I was giving a total of what I could expect today. When I called back they tell me they can't give me that information due to it may change or not be approved for it. I'm just confused with the whole deal as to how they are handling things with my financial aid at this point.

I feel like I've signed up and giving them information. They've taken out the loans subsidized and unsubsidized and received my pell and hung me out dry being forced to continue on as the classes have been paid for. What's the review for? The classes have been paid for yet the excess funds has to be approved. It's a bunch of BS. The representative asked my name and birthday twice and read over notes. I know that's what she had to be doing as she gasp and paused for 2 or minutes never putting me on hold. She started out bluntly giving me information "okay this is what I have" then said "how may I help you". I know all online schools can't be like this yet this school has put a really bitter taste in my mouth.

I hate now that I've tied my aid up with them as I plan to attend a traditional campus. My enrollment advisor Maggie was outstanding and my student advisor Nadia was very helpful but financial aid has been a runaround from day one. Please take heed to the warning anybody that is reading this. This school is a headache when it comes to your financial aid. They are going to give you a runaround. It has been 3 months and I have yet to receive anything. I have never in my life experienced such unprofessionalism. I was told the amount as I stated earlier of what I could expect when it comes to my refund. Now that my funds have been accepted and their fees have been paid they can't even give me a balance as it was due to me. Really?

Something is not right about this school guys. The class is a great. I've had a great time with my instructors and I really want to proceed forward and I will with the classes that have been paid for. But anything that they feel that's going to impact my 2017-2018 will not happen because I am unsatisfied with how they do things. At a traditional school you go to school 30 days after you receive your funds and that's only if you are new student. If you are recurrent student and you would send it this semester. Before 2 weeks after classes are in session you have your money. I just don't understand how they do things here. I just don't. I've asked questions on top of questions and get everything gets an answer or it's half-** answered or is something to satisfy me for the moment.

This school is completely ridiculous. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR TIME OR MONEY! I completely agree with all the other negative reviews. It's impossible to get a straight answer out of anyone there. You can call five times and get 100 different answers to the same questions. They lie about tuition, it costs a lot more than what the lady originally told me when I enrolled. They keep putting holds on my account stating I owe them thousands of dollars, which is continually pushing back my graduation date. I'm to the point that I'm done with this school and don't care how much inconvenience it causes because I'm planning to transfer! Not only have they taken out thousands in a Parent PLUS loan I'll have to pay back, they keep taking more and more out of my personal financial aide and still telling me I owe them 7k!

I'm still enrolled in this slop fest and I have nothing but negative things to say about all the staff, the financial aid department, and the lack of training they provide. They clearly need to get it together or BE SHUT DOWN!!! Because holy cow this is the worst school I have ever ever ever had to deal with!!! The amount of stress they have caused me and I'm sure most everyone that attends this dump, is ridiculous. Never in my life have I worked with such a disgraceful facility. I am embarrassed to tell people I go to Ashford!!! If you're considering this school, do yourself a favor and move on!!!

I submitted a paper in week three of my next to the last class for my degree and received a B+ on it. During week 6 I questioned the instructor about a grade he gave me. When he responded, he stated he corrected his mistake. However due to the fact that I questioned him on it, he was turning in the paper I received a B+ on in week 3 for plagiarism. I questioned him as to why and he claimed that while I reported a 5% likeness from Turn it in, he received a 30% because I failed to put quotations around a paraphrase. I asked why he decided to wait until then to do it and retracted the B+ he awarded me. He did this out of spite.

I was immediately withdrawn from the course and given a F in the course when I initially had a high A. I disputed this, however was told it would not be reversed even though I proved I was in the right and had not plagiarized. I now have to retake the course and it cost me money I do not have. Once I am done with the degree, I will have my attorney pursue a lawsuit.

While going through a divorce, I decided I needed to go back to school to finish my degree. A full-time job and babysitter would be in my near future as I signed a prenup and would receive a low amount capped alimony for 4 years and state approved child support of $2,000. I thought an online degree would fit into my schedule while taking care of my children and legal appointments. At $1500 per course every 5 weeks I would need help. I contacted Ashford and told them my situation. I didn't have a job and the child support and temp alimony wasn't enough to cover my bills and apartment. Ashford said I would qualify for financial aid. I filled out all forms, no problems.

In the meantime, Ashford said, "Let's have you start your classes next week." I was excited and said yes! I'll have purpose and feel good that I'm preparing for a successful future. At a GPA of 3.98, I was studying hard and feeling proud of myself. They then signed me up for 4 more classes. While taking a class every 5 weeks, I continued going back and forth with financial aid counselors and my student counselor regarding approval. "No problem, you'll qualify for aid, just continue your classes!" they said. I started to get a little suspicious of the jumping through hoops and major runaround. When I called to pursue my aid approval, they put my account on hold. First I qualified and then I didn't. I was devastated! They told me everything I wanted to hear (and more), but didn't deliver. They said that my ex-husbands income tax reports showed I wouldn't qualify for aid, even though I signed a prenup and wouldn't get ANY of his money.

I sent Ashford a signed letter to prove my situation (which THEY asked for) and approved financial aid again. Then they said, "okay, when can you start your next class?" I started my next class at their guidance believing that I was financially okay with student aid. After that class, they put me on hold, again. Then all contact subsided on their end for 3 weeks. The next week I received a call from collections, collections!!! What a very sad situation to be in. I feel like I want to sue them for leading me on and using my emotions against me, but I don't have the income to support such a fight. They acted like my best friend to hook me in. They promised financial aid yet didn't deliver. I feel betrayed and they took advantage of my situation. I'm very disappointed at Ashford and disappointed at myself for trusting them. Please beware of this "FOR PROFIT" school as they don't give a damn if they ruin your life or future. Very sad.

A girl I use to work with called me and asked if I could talk to her about this school so she could meet her quota. I said okay. Well somehow or another she SIGNED ME UP FOR CLASSES I NEVER TOOK and now I'm being charged for like 3 classes and some pretend LAB I never used for an online collage. When I called and asked for paperwork asking for proof of signature and what not how this all came to be nothing get sent emailed or anything. I'm pretty sure this is illegal and not sure how they hire such scammers in the first place. I filed complaints with the BBB and DCA and nothing gets done.

In 2008 I graduated from Ashford University with my Bachelor's degree. I have tried to get my Master's a couple of times but due to several things happening in my life it has not happened. In November Josh ** called me to get me 'enrolled' in their Master's Degree program. I should have never gotten involved with them again. I have a zero balance. I owe them absolutely nothing at all, however when I withdrew my admittance into their program they then sent me a form saying I had to prove my identity, which I did. I got it notarized and sent it back. They received it and immediately put another hold on my account saying that my FAFSA was flagged.

I have checked the status of my FAFSA and went through the Dept of Ed to check on this stipulation and have found nothing to support Ashford's claim that I have any kind of flag on my FAFSA. They have held my transcripts since November. I need them to get my teaching certificate completed in my new state of residency, yet the university wants to hold transcripts from a degree I already completed and paid for. None of the holds are even about my past degree, they are about a degree and financial aid that I am not even receiving! After doing some research none of the "holds" they have on my account are even relevant holds to keep my transcripts. My advice... Stay far away from Ashford University. They are the absolute worst and your degree will be worthless because you won't ever be able to get your transcripts.

I started with Ashford University in 2012, I stopped going for health reasons. I continued to receive calls to come back. In one of those calls the re-entry counselor Christie ** stated that as a reminder that since I'm military I receive classes at a lower rate. I told her that's funny because up to this point nobody told me anything about a discount. I have already finished over 10 classes with them. She looks at my account and agrees that they "forgot" to apply the discount and will speak to her manager about backdating my account since they owed me close to $10,000 in overpayments. I waited for her to call me back for a week and then attempted to reach her, I was sent to another person stating Christie no longer is handling my file and she (Krista **) has no idea about what I'm talking about. I explain the conversation and Krista states that they don't have to back date because it was my responsibility to make sure I was given the discount when I enrolled.

Now mind you when all of this was going on I had a 0 balance owing since I had finished my last class and financial aid and my Tribe had paid everything. After I told this new person I was going to report them to the Veterans Administration I magically had a $160.05 balance and my transcripts were locked. I called the collection agency and was told I owe $800. I'm not paying $160 or $800. They knew I was military since I'm on the honor society for Veterans called SALUTE and they requested my DD214 from day one. I have since called the Attorney General to make a formal complaint. I have several emails showing proof that they knew they owed me money and the email stating they weren't going to pay it. I am a Veteran that served 6 years in the Marine Corps as Military Police and I currently work at the Department of Veteran Affairs as a Police Officer. I deserve to be paid back the money owed to me and my transcripts off hold status.

I am one of the few who will be graduating from Ashford in January 2017. This will be my second Master's degree from Ashford, to my embarrassment. I wish I had never gotten involved with the school. You cannot get a straight answer from anyone, that is if you can get someone on the phone. I have used student aid (loans) to pay for these "degrees" and am due a stipend which I use to supplement my income so I can attend full time. Each semester they have taken longer and longer to release my stipend. It is due to me sometime this month, although I do not know if I will see the money before I graduate. It does not make sense to me that they are able to hold loans so long without releasing your own money to you. So much for supplementing my income.

When it came to my last two or three classes, I decided I wanted to change my major. My adviser flat refused due to the limited availability of classes. There have been only four people in each of my last three classes. There was a two week forced waiting period between the last two classes, which delayed my graduation by a month. Apparently no one else had any interest in completing these classes either once they got an idea of how poor they were, during which I was forced to apply for a leave of absence or be dropped from the program. Once you get involved with them, they tie up your finances, give you the runaround or worse and are just plain rude when they respond, if they bother.

I deeply regret my choice to use Ashford. I have learned nothing truly useful that I did not teach myself. I have a 3.96 GPA at this point and a 4.0 from my last degree so the problem is not due to my lack of ability or dedication. I thought this would open doors for me and it has been a complete waste of time and a huge amount of money. They make sure to cover themselves at your expense whether it is through class enrollment, I have had to fight them on several occasions for enrolling me in classes I did not want or request to take, or the financial aid. This program is the biggest scam I haven ever fallen prey to. I am searching for other methods to express my utter disappointment as they truly do not care. I hope someone reads this and moves along to another university that can offer them something of value for their hard work.

Not only is this 'institution' a complete waste of time and money but they are all complete morons. The dropout county is so high because these people literally don't care how hard you work and have a bunch of small print of rules that are absolutely ridiculous. The instructors don't care about you or if you graduate, which no one ever does. For the price you could be at a real school actually learning something instead of wasting away here getting bothered 30 times a day with their constant bombardment of emails, most which are automated so you can't even respond.

No one answers their phone and the nasty attitudes of the 'advisors' make it clear they couldn't care less if you get kicked out, which will happen if you do all your work and get perfect scores on quizzes. They make nothing clear and most places won't even accept your 'degree' from them, if you're one of the like 2% of people who actually graduate. Don't waste your time and money. It's a school ran by zoo animals. If my advisor got a masters degree you think she'd be sitting on the phone all day begging for students to attend her bullcrap school? Oh wait she got it from Ashford so obviously that's the only place she could get a job. This place is SCAM SCAM SCAM.

I transferred in to Ashford with an Associate's Degree with honors from a local community college and was also given credit after an evaluation of work and life-related experience. I was told all of my A.A. credits transferred, and so on and so forth. I attended a few years (took breaks here and there) but made my way up to 112 credits, had a 3.93 G.P.A., took a break and then completed another 6 credits, bringing me to the grand total of 118 credits with roughly the same G.P.A. (by the way, never invited to the honors society or anything either).

The last class I needed was a very difficult one for me (I have disabilities and a severe learning disability related to math). I had documentation for disability accommodations, informed them what I needed for this class and was denied, despite the fact I had some accommodations for other classes (direct violation of disability laws), and then the advisor tells me that I was misinformed about my credits that were supposed to have been transferred and that I wasn't 3 credits away from graduation but in fact I need FIFTY??? I told this individual that I enrolled under pretenses that they all transferred and I was granted additional for the experience I have and he advised me I was misinformed.

I told him I am $30,000. I'm debt for this degree and they need to fix it because of I was enrolled under false pretenses, they collected this amount of money under false pretenses, and this is the epitome of the definition of FRAUD... And I know this because my ex-husband has three Masters and a Doctorate from Berkeley in LAW and he specialized in Fraud. Yeah, it still is not fixed either. Unfortunately I am not in touch with the ex-husband and REALLY rather not go there! LOL. This school is SHAAADY. STAY AWAY.

Literally everything about this "University" sucks. They have no idea what they're doing, and the whole "Advisor" department is as smart as 3 kindergarteners finger painting ducks on a table. I'm pretty sure they all eat glue. Upon finding out that the school is only out for money, the instructors take 3 weeks after an assignment is turned in to grade it, and having to make multiple calls to financial aid to help them figure out my FAFSA and school loans, I withdrew.

Here's a great story for those of you thinking of attending: When I withdrew, they "accidentally" withdrew me one class into my completed semester, rendering my GPA a 2.08 instead of the 3.2 that I would have had. So now, yet again, I am having to help them figure out that they have screwed up. It seems to be their calling card. Any prospective students, go to another school. The school is a bunch of retarded frauds who don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. This school is a joke!!!!

I am a former military and transfer student from another university. The school was relatively easy to work with regarding enrollment and they accepted my BGSU and former military credits. The credit hours were high but then again so are all traditional universities. The course schedule and availability was great. I merged into an IT program midway through the degree process and encountered few difficulties. Different classes, professors, TAs, etc had different styles just as all major University studies do. Some graded easy, some hard...as with all studies, I learned more from the classes that were not a breeze and which challenged me.

Ashford is not a diploma mill, it is a university...so if you want to ace through a program, look somewhere else. What it did provide was an advanced education available to me during my off hours from work. My degree was accepted by OU and I am now completing my Masters with a traditional in-school education part-time--and it's the same degree of challenge (though at a graduate level). It's worth it, it's academic, it's a degree track. Don't give up or blame the school because you are not making all A's...it's you that should be gaining something. Fail better (as Beckett put it), stumble, try, try harder.

I have had nothing but great experience with Ashford. The staff is so helpful and the professors answer emails quickly. I never had an issue to get into a class or any financial situations. Yes I am in the military and I use TA and therefore never had a problem. My student advisor is such a great help and is always there to walk me through every step of the way. I love that the classes are 5 weeks long and thus I am able to finish my degree in a shorter amount of time. I love that Ashford makes their best effort to accommodate their students.

I received a call from a Michelle **. She wanted to know why I never completed the enrollment with Ashford last year. I told her that the school was giving me the runaround and I didn't have time for it. She assured me that she would help me and get through the process. I am now in my fifth class and they are still requesting the same documents over and over again. Stating I need to put this or not, I should have did this and that.

Now remind you I have spoken to several people asking them what needs to be filled out and so forth. I tried calling Michelle **, no return call. My advisor stated I couldn't drop out or I would be liable for the courses, but yet they don't know what they're doing. I filled out my FASA and it came back approved along with my loans, but yet they are telling me my paperwork isn't correct. I NEED HELP!!! THEY ARE CROOKS AND NOT TRUSTWORTHY. On top of that, I am in the hospital about to have surgery and my advisor won't call me.

I attended Ashford University classes online and I was making A's and B's until things began to go sour. There were some assignments I didn't understand. I tried so hard, but the advisor I had wasn't nice, didn't help me at all and didn't allow me a chance to even try and get the assignment correct. So I had to let it go because no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't getting nowhere, and to find out later about the technology fee turned out to be fraud, just really knocked me off of my feet. I was sent a notice stating that I was entitled to a refund but never received it and I still haven't heard anything after all this time. Still waiting. I have a question, has anyone received a refund at all?

It started off well, until I took my 1st math course. Because I had taken a college level algebra class they gave me credit for their 1st algebra course, so when I enrolled for the 2nd algebra class they did not program or set that ALEKS math program to the 2nd class and did not explain how it worked. Therefore, I assumed I did not have to take the 1st part of it. Anyway they charged me with the class anyway and I failed it. Now all they had to do was be honest and credit me back my money, let me retake the 2nd part of the math and I would be okay... But no. Even though they can see how confused I was from all the emails I sent to the facilitator and my advisor they still charged me. I'm paying that back now, I only have 22 credits left, and they claim I'm out of money. I wish my experience could have been better.

About 4 or 5 years ago I applied for a course at the Ashford University. A gentleman later called my phone. He asked me to send to him my previous certificates which had three years of University work. He told me that meanwhile he perused my documents I could pay $300 so that when approved I will have less to pay as fees. He went on and promised me that just in case I was not approved my $300 would be refunded. At first I hesitated but after he told me that the school would only hold my money if I signed the promissory note which I would be required to sign after the school evaluated my certificate in order to determine how many credits I was worth, I sent the money.

After a short while the gentleman who I remember vividly as Mr. **, told me that I had no credits from my previous colleges that would be carried forward to Ashford University and I had to enroll for a four year course. I then told him I could not enroll for four years and we parted. After one month I got a bill of $1,200. I called and asked the school how the debt had been arrived at. I was told that it was because I had been enrolled in the school for 4 years. I asked him why and I was not a student at the school.

After another two months the bill went higher to over $2,000 and still I was not at the school. Today the school is still sending bills of $2,106 to me from now and then. The US government should investigate this school. The school is engaged with activities of stealing money from Americans especially those with an accent. This has to be stopped. How can the school charge Americans money for courses they have not attended, even without having signed a promissory note, just because one has sent an application?

I enrolled with Ashford in May of 2011. Since then I have graduated with a BA in Psychology with a Major in Applied Behavior Science. I never had any problems with the instructors or the advisers. After graduating I automatically signed up for their Masters degree program. The only complaint I have is that the courses are really high.

I was currently attending Ashford University online. Started back on September 16, 2014, transfer credits as of June 20th of this year they dropped me saying I ran out of money. When I called up Department of Education Nelnet telling me I owe only 28,413 and look on my student portal for each course that I have taken only 13,400. Something does not add up right. Well I want to sue them for lying to me with only 6 course remaining, social and criminal justices degree. Very confused and upset. 120 credits, only 97.0, my GPA 2.61 - not too bad for a first time college student. Need a lawyer. File a complaint, very unprofessional service reps.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1918 as a women's junior college, Ashford University has certainly grown beyond the mold. They now partner with Forbes in their School of Business and offer a complete range of educational services.

• Good reputation: In education, reputation is everything, and Ashford University has one to be proud of.
  • Regionally accredited: In 2013, Ashford University earned accreditation from the WSCUC, one of the six regionally accrediting organizations.
  • Online and on-campus: Ashford University has a long established campus in Clinton, IA and a virtual campus available to students worldwide.
  • Transparent tuition: Tuition and fees are clearly posted on their website, so there are no unpleasant surprises after admission.
  • Internal scholarships available: There are several scholarships available through Ashford University for students who qualify.
  • Best for New grads, promotion/job seekers, lifetime learners and full-time workers.

Compare Online Colleges

Ashford University Company Profile

Ashford University
1918
8620 Spectrum Center Blvd.
San Diego