1.21/5
Based on 52 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Paula Young Wigs

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

197 Paula Young Wigs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have ordered from this company for at least 30 years. I have alopecia and need to wear a wig full-time. The policy changes in this company and the loss of quality of their products has been so disappointing. I recently sent a wig back within the time frame in their return statement. But the time started when I ordered, I guess because I received a postcard saying they had donated my wig to charity. No name of the charity or number for tax purposes. I am sad to say that as a faithful customer of this company for so many years, I will no longer be purchasing items from them again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I thought two weeks and put in the promo for free shipping and I even received two different emails showing my charges. A few days later I get another confirmation email and this one includes $12.99 shipping. I’m disputing it but they’re saying I wanted it expedited, and the email was rather curt. So I replied I did not want to expedited and here are the charges I received. I will be disputing the difference with my credit card company. I’m sure they’re doing this to others and if they do this to you please don’t accept it and fight it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I ordered 2 wigs which didn't look right. I called and was instructed that returning my items was fine. So I followed their instructions and returned both items. After three weeks I called and they stated 1 was credited and the other was final sale so was donated - no credit! I explained I was told returning them was fine and they basically said... no refund. I then told them that I haven't seen the credit for the one wig in my bank. They said it was given three days ago and isn't their problem... Really?!? I'm out money from two wigs. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased the Vina wig in late December. When I received it, it was super bumpy in the back because the hairs had been curled up and pressed into the wig cap--looped into the wefting of the cap. I was concerned that if I had the curls steamed out of the cap, the wig would lose its shape/cut... So I returned it (paying for the shipping on the return). They determined it was indeed defective and sent me another one... with the same defect! So I called PY right away, was told they would reimburse me for the shipping and to send this one back as well. I also clarified that I would NOT pay the 20% restocking fee since this wig had the same defect as the last one (both Vina wigs--clearly someone at the factory was not skilled in basic wigmaking). Of course they agreed, but then charged me the restocking fee anyhow.

I called to complain and was told that I would have that refunded as soon as they inspected the wig. Two weeks later I called back and was told that the second wig didn't have any defects so they wouldn't refund the restocking fee or reimburse me for the shipping fees to return the first or second wig. I have purchased several of wigs from PY with no problems, but after this mess, I will no longer buy from their company. Never again!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This past year I have purchased 4 of the secret crown pieces and with my hairdressers help styling them, they were absolutely perfect. The fifth piece I purchased did not have as much hair as the ones I previously purchased and when I attempted to return it in January for an exchange as this one did not have the same amount of hair as the others, I was told I was too late and if I did try to return it would be kept and donated to charity. Please also note that their return clock begins on the date they mark it as shipped out and drop in items from a 3rd party vendor have only a 21 day total window - assuming they will even honor a return (I have my doubts). I WILL NEVER RISK ANOTHER PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I ordered a wig from Paula Young, paid extra for quicker delivery, was advised by the representative that I would receive the FedEx package by 1/31/2018, nothing! I called Paula Young at 1-800-364-9060 and was told that I was never told the wig has not been shipped, however it should. I asked about a refund, was told no, I'd have to wait until I did receive the package, return it, but I would have to pay a $7 return fee. Do not trust these representatives, they will tell you what you want to hear simply to get your billing information and then they are done with you. I am going to dispute the charge with my credit card company and have the charge reversed. Never again, just stop and think of the many cancer patients that are possibly being taken advantage of in such a dark time in their life.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

November 30, 2017, I purchased 2 toppers from Paula Young. When they arrived, I realized one of them was the wrong color, which was an orange color. The topper was $59.99 and I returned it on December 21, which was 3 weeks later, with the tag still attached. After about 1 week, I started checking my credit card for the refund. When there was not a credit after about 3 weeks, I called and I was told after being on hold for several minutes that they found my return and they had been doing inventory and would credit my account in 24-48 hours. I had my tracking information and saw where it was picked up from the Post Office, but it was not showing that it was delivered to Paula Young. When I heard the story about the delay due to inventory, I was satisfied with that explanation.

After this, I waited about 4 days and called again. The recording said I did not call within normal business hours and I should call back. I hung up the phone and called back to talk to another department, other than the return department and that department said she could not help me and offered no explanation concerning the recording that stated they were closed.

The following day I called again and I was able to talk to customer service. I was put on hold again for several minutes and then when the lady came back to the phone she told me she was sending an email to her boss and it would be reviewed and then I should call back again in 2 days after her boss had reviewed my email. I waited a few days and called them again. Today, it is January 30, 2018 and when I called I never was able to speak with anyone because now my associated phone #, customer #, and related order # are not recognizable. I suppose I give up. I cannot believe this company. In all my years of doing business, I have never experienced this kind of deceit, lies, and theft. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have bought several wigs from Paula and they were okay. Made the mistake of buying a clearance wig. It was not the wig I ordered. You can’t return a clearance wig but via e-mail they agreed to take it back. The tag's still on. I was to pay 7.99 for shipping. Okay lesson learned. I sent it back got a receipt from the post office for it. 10 days went by hadn’t heard anything from them so I called a very rude customer service person. Said they didn’t receive and even if they did now it would go into a restocking charge for 19.99.

By that time I really didn’t care one way or another. The wig came back the next day. Postman said it was delivered and they sent it back, go figure what can you do. I paid 39.99 and it was costing me 34.00 to return it which I probably wouldn’t have gotten, because now they ignore any communication. I hope Paula Young looks at these reviews. Shame on you. A lot of people who buy from them are chemo patients and have no hair, that was my case. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered wheat and got a light brown. I shook out one of the clip on to see better, determined it would not do and immediately put it back in wrapping and took it the post office at once. I finally got my refund. Paid $49.99 and received $31.99. This is not what they promise. When a company does business like this, it makes me leery to do any online business. I will not be reordering from Paula Young that is for sure!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Received the wig Eva, it was such poor quality. I bought wigs for 47 yrs and this is the worst company to deal with. I bought a wig on sale for $39.99 and it was such poor quality. I sent it back today and it will cost me 7.99 for shipping, I don't have a problem with that but 14.99 for restocking is ridiculous amount to charge. I will only be getting back 18.00. So they are making money on me for nothing. Will never order from them again. Before I received this order I ordered another wig from them, so that will probably be going back. That was my mistake to order before I checked out the first. My other wig was Alex for 39.99.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

When I received the (Codi) wig yesterday, it looked nothing like the pictured wig in the online catalog. I feel it is very deceptive to not mention that the wig they are showing in the catalog has been altered. The wig I received was literally a hot mess. Awful. I would be embarrassed to take it to any reputable stylist to be shaped up. I sent an email to their service department and told that I would receive an answer to my complaint yesterday. I have not nor do I expect to. Very disappointing. I feel that they prey on women or men who may be in vulnerable positions. Chock it up to experience. I will never look at their catalogs nor order from them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

It seems PY lures you with promo of Free Shipping. I bought a wig, the Free Shipping and $10 off was applied, I clicked send. When I checked my credit card, they had charged me $11.99 for shipping! How was it changed? I called to get it resolved, the Customer Service rep hung up on me. I emailed the company, they replied with they will be refunding the $11.99. No we are sorry, no explanation as to how it happened. I have been in customer service for 40 years, you need to learn to listen. She answered the phone "Hello". Should say "Thanks for calling PY, how can I help you?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The promo in huge letters on catalog says. "Take $10 off + Free Shipping on your order of $49 or more." So you buy a wig for $49.00 (and for good measure threw in an accessory for $3.50) but didn't get free shipping. WHY? Because they take off the $10 first, now your order is no longer "$49 or more" so you have to pay shipping which is...$10. So the right hand giveth and the left hand taketh away. So the promo with the + is misleading. It is NOT $20 off + Free Shipping, MT here's no AND free shipping, it's one or the other. What a scam!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I placed an order, and paid premium shipping for an item that cost $30 and guaranteed 2 day delivery. It did not arrive for 4 days and in contacting this company I found the worst customer service of any company I have dealt with in years - this company sucks. I am returning the item and I find their attitude, their UNWILLINGNESS to provide any HELP, or to refund the PREMIUM SHIPPING FEES UNCONSCIONABLE~ I warn all against doing business with this hideously bad company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I ordered the wig named Casey. I was never so shocked when I tried it on. NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING like it was shown in their catalog. Hardly any HAIR!! The quality was horrible. I could not even comb it... why??? Because NO HAIR. Literally made me sick. To make matters worse, I didn't realize that after you cut that pesky little tag off in the back... you cannot return it. I wouldn't want ANYONE to get it anyway. I AM THROWING IT IN THE TRASH CAN!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Tell Paula Young to stop sending her catalogs to ** people. She had nothing we are willing to buy. Tell her to mix it up and maybe we might consider buying something from her. PLEASE don't need these catalogs.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your upset with our company. In order for us to remove you from the mailing list we will need your mailing address as well as your first and last name. Thank You, Paula young Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I think your Expert Review-Research Team needs to recheck their review. I ordered 216.43 of product from Paula young. I was charged $14.99 postage. On your research review it says that it should have been free postage for that amount. I ordered from a $ 29.99 and they charged me $34.99 for 2 of them saying it was more because of the color. 30B should not have been charged extra for color and 6/28 was also charged extra. I was going to send 2 of the wigs back but after reading all the people that wrote saying they never got their refund or Paula company decided it was not in perfect shape so they donated them without asking the person if they wanted to do that.

How do we know they donated it? And if the person wanted it donated it should be from the person that paid for it. I was going to order a couple more wigs but after talking on the phone to someone that was taking my order she said that I would not get free color upgrade while it says on front cover 20% off order of more than $59. PLUS free color upgrade. Will not order from them again.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with your last order. We have reviewed the order and the catalog that you ordered from was for all of the wigs to be priced at $29.99 and didn't offer free shipping. In our catalog, on the internet, and on the paper that is enclosed in your box our policy does states final sale items/clearance items. We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Especially Yours Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I tried ordering an "add on" hair piece. Customer service was strictly an order taker. Was not at all helpful and seemed to know very little about the products. She essentially answered me by reading back what was in the catalog. I could and had read that myself! I never placed the order because she was so incompetent at providing any information beyond what was in the catalog. I don't know why bother to have a customer service dept. if it's not to be helpful to the potential customer!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought a wig and returned it with all tags attached as it did not fit and shiny fake looking. Rude customer service person told me clearance item and Paula Young term final sale. Nowhere on my invoice or online order did it state final sale. I would not have bought any item I could not try... stupid unfair policy for a mail or online wig company. I have contacted the attorney general office. If order did not state final sale the consumer should not have to research the policy. It should have said final sale as not all clearance items are final sale in retail! I am on a fixed income and would never purchase without being able to return. Very rude customer service supervisor.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I ordered 2 wigs over 3 weeks ago in large. When the order came on August 1, they sent me the wrong size. I called and explained the problem. They said they would exchange them but charge me 7.99 for shipping. I told them this was their order not mine. However they had to review the recording my order before they could exchange it without charging me. They said it would take 24-48 hours to do that.

I called back in 2 days. They hadn't reviewed it yet. They told me to call back by 8/15 and it would be reviewed. I called back today. Still not reviewed. I was quite upset. They said they were reviewing it as we spoke and to call back in 2 hours. I did. Still not done. I am so upset with this company as I've been a customer for over 20 years. This is not the way to treat long standing customers. I cannot believe they can't review a 2 minute phone call in 2 weeks, let alone give a long-standing customer the benefit of the doubt if they cannot review this. I'm finished with this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Ordered a wig from Paula Young. When it arrived I tried it on, not my style - so I returned it to the box in the same way it was sent to me. The order was placed 7/11/17, and returned a few days later in the way it was sent to me. Today, I received a postcard dated 8/7/17 that informed me that the return period had expired. I called customer service and asked what the return policy was - after much ado - they admitted 30 days (like I already knew), however they told me it was not in "pristine condition." I, then, spoke to a supervisor who held steadfast that it not in pristine condition. Then she said, "That is our policy and we don't back down." So - Folks - I will never order from this schlock outfit again, they must be having many problems. I have never experienced this with any company online - this is a first! My advice - Do not order ANY Wig from Paula Young!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I returned a wig because it was inferior. It was nothing like advertised. I got a nasty postcard that stated sale items could not be returned and the wig was donated to charity. I was livid. Nowhere was it clear the sale was final. I was not given the option of keeping it. I would have paid for the return back postage. I could have tried to have a stylist work on it rather than be out $58.00.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I am a new customer to Paula Young and have tried twice with two different orders to seek a return for part of each order. After waiting and waiting and checking on why I hadn't received a refund and getting a runaround I get two notifications today, one saying I waited too long to return on the first order (which is incorrect as I returned a wiglet and band two days after I received it with their postage paid return label). On the other order I called before I returned one of the wigs and was told I could get a refund minus the $7.00 shipping only to receive a letter that I could only get customer credit. Good bye Paula Young. I will never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased two wiglets for over $80. When they arrived I could tell they did not match my hair so I didn't even take them out of the boxes. I spent $15 to send them back on the same day they arrived. The company only refunded $17 for each wiglet. This is a deceptive practice and these people should not be conducting business. It is a total scam and from the other reviews I am reading I see it seems to be their practice. Shame on you. I plan to be a vocal about this company's practice as I can to my friends who are wig people. I will post a negative review as many places as I can find.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I purchased Paige, a curly wig, and liked it. When I purchased the same wig again 6 weeks later I took the tags off because I had already purchased the same wig in the past and thought it would be the same. It wasn't, but because I had taken the tag off I couldn't return it. So just beware that Paula Young Wigs have inconsistencies in their quality and the company sticks by their rules no matter what the problem is. Their website says they guarantee their quality 150% - not so much! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have purchased many wigs by J Smith. The receipt I submitted and the order number is just one of many orders. Southern Charm, Beach Party, California Girl, Malibu Waves, are my favorite. I ordered Sunset, Seaside, and would not order again. Just not my style. Southern Charm is my absolute favorite wig, Beach party a wavy fun style is my 2nd favorite! I own 60 plus wigs. R Welch, J Renau, Rene of Paris, Gabor and yet my faves are simple basic cap lace fronts by J Smith... WHY? THEY HOLD UP! COLORS ARE GREAT! sf13/16 is my favorite color! AFFORDABLE... CONSISTENT.

I had sunset professional modified. Thin, shortened... a bit of perma but great winter wig... Seaside didn't suit me but all the others I mentioned are my go to wigs... while my 3 upstage by R Welch sit on their wigs stands due to tangles and VERY high maintenance. My southern charm and beach party just go and go and look and feel great. The service at Paula Young completely depends on who you talk to... and that's a bit of a drag... but overall my experience has been good.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I ordered a cascading curls clip on pony tail. It was the wrong color. I sent it back with a free shipping label to exchange it for a different color. They did not exchange the item but charged me shipping. They refunded me only $12.00 of the $25.98 that I paid for the item. So I received absolutely nothing for the $12.00 that they charged me.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought two wigs from Paula Young on clearance and I swear I have never seen such poor quality as these wigs. I have ordered wigs from Wish for $5.00 that were much better quality and that include shipping. So I think that they probably order their wigs from Wish and sell them on Paula Young. I would NEVER put my name on anything with this poor quality.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I ordered a wig by phone on a Sunday. I needed that wig delivered within a few days because of severe hair loss related to chemotherapy and because I was leaving town. The representative I spoke to assured me that this order could be sent immediately and would arrive on the following Tuesday which was two days. I gave her the correct information for payment and for shipping including my email address. Expecting the order to come today I stayed at home and finally at 4:30 I decided to call and see if they had a tracking number. I did not receive a receipt by email So I was getting concerned.

When I finally got through I found out that my order had been shipped by regular mail and would not be received until possibly the 20th. I became very upset and I asked to talk to a supervisor. After waiting for 25 minutes I was hung up on. I called back. I had to go through the whole explanation once again and finally was put through to a supervisor. She apologized but said there was nothing she can really do about it. She said she would check tomorrow to see if she could find out where my shipment was. This however is not going to help me if I leave town on the 19th. I will probably have to go to a wig store here in town which is going to amount to another hundred some dollars. I'm very upset and I will never recommend this company nor will I ever order from them again. Their customer service is horrible!!

Original review: July 3, 2017 This was my first time buying a wig from Paula Young, although I have bought numerous hairpieces. I read the directions on her site of what size wig to buy. It states that, "If all 3 of your measurements do not match exactly to the one on the size chart, choose the size that corresponds to the largest measurement."

I followed those directions and thought that it would be safe enough to order wig #A4166 812A A, as this wig was on final clearance. The wig arrived 6/30/2017, and I tried it on 7/1/2017. The wig is way too large and will not ever feel secure on my head. I called Paula Young on 7/2/2017 and explained the problem. I said that, "If you will let me exchange the wig for a petite sized wig for the same price or more expensive, I will pay the shipping back to you."

I was told that under no circumstance could they exchange a final clearance wig and that if I sent it back, Paula Young would donate the wig to charity. I was totally misled by their directions of sizing a wig. And now am stuck with an unwearable wig. I told Paula Young to take me off of their mailing list and not to send me any more catalogs, as I could never order from them again - not knowing my size.

Paula Young Wigs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Massachusettes and founded in 1978, Paula Young Wigs is an online women’s discount wig shop. It offers a wide selection of synthetic and human hair wigs, hair pieces, wiglets, wig accessories and head coverings. Customers can purchase wigs online or by catalog.

• Discount prices: Paula Young Wigs specializes in discount wigs and hairpieces and most of its prices are substantially lower than many of its competitors. It also offers frequent sales, clearance deals and other promotions to ensure the prices stay low.

• 150 percent price guarantee: Paula Young offers a price match guarantee of 150 percent of the price difference if you find the exact same product advertised on a competitor’s website for a lower price. If you find the same product cheaper elsewhere within seven days of your purchase, email a link to the product page to Paula Young customer service.

• Free shipping: Any order made at Paula Young’s website totaling $59 or more before taxes will ship free to anywhere in the continental United States. Customers can purchase expedited shipping for an additional cost.

• Direct manufacture: Paula Young offers many brands on its website, including name brands and exclusive Paula Young brands. It manufactures all of its own branded wigs directly, which allows it to offer lower prices and a unique selection of wigs you can’t find elsewhere.

• Free one-time exchange: Selecting a wig online can be difficult, so Paula Young offers customers a free, one-time exchange within 21 days of the original ship date of your wig. Paula Young will even pay for return shipping. You will need to use the website to fill out an Exchange Authorization Form before returning your wig for exchange.

• Best for: women who are looking for a discount wig, hairpiece or wig accessory.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Paula Young Wigs Company Information

www.paulayoung.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use