1.14/5

Last updated: April 20, 2018

207 Paula Young Wigs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

This company is horrible. I ordered one wig two months ago. Got it. It did not fit. So I asked to exchange it for another size. Five weeks later, they charged my bank account twice for the wig. Two days after double charging me, I received a PARTIAL credit for the wig I returned. So now I have no wig, and at one point, three debts from my bank account. Thanks to PYW, I now owe $68 in overdraft fees to my bank.

When I called the customer service, I was told that there was only one charge and to wait two days for the credit to appear on my account. Two days later, no credit so I called back. The phone agent was extremely rude and scolded me for having the nerve to call back so soon after the first call. She insisted I was only charged once. I waited two more days, checked my bank account and called again today (Friday). Today I asked to speak to a manager. The manager again insisted I was only charged once and that my issue was with my bank. She kept telling me that her screen only showed one charge for $54.99. Not true.

I hung up and went to my bank. They tell me that PYW indeed charged me twice. I was asked how a company can take money from me without authorization? Great question. My bank told me to be careful because they see a lot of customers who have issues with disreputable online companies. Paula Young Wigs is a very disreputable company and I will be filing a separate complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I ordered 2 wigs, 1 was OK in size, the other not, even though both were average size. I sent the too-small wig back in a week and have yet to hear. Their automated system says there are no refunds and I wait on line for 15 minutes listening to a recording and finally someone comes on line from Customer Service. She said I would have to check with the post office. I told her I can't do that since I used the Paula Young preprinted return label. She then immediately said, "Oh, I see, your item was received today at 8:15 am. You should receive your refund in 5 to 10 days." I shipped it several weeks prior so, is it just that they have a very poor processing process? I will never use this company again and will make sure all my contacts know how horrible this company is at customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Wigs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I am awaiting a response from this company since 2014. Since this timeframe, my mother has passed away so she won't be needing the wig anymore. A company response would have been appreciated, so obviously, either this company does not value its customers or they just don't care. Either way, it's rude and it's been 4 years with NO response. Sad really.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Ordered MED AUBURN. It was extremely dark. The colors are nothing like the color they state they are... so I returned it to get a lighter color. Thought they allowed one free exchange... which made sense since their colors are so falsely named. No. It was only for drop ship orders. So they charged an extra $7.99 because THEIR COLOR NAMES DO NOT MATCH THE DYE COLORS OF MOST BEAUTY SHOPS AND HAIR DYE PACKAGES. With the studio lighting... their colors are not looking true. Folks... do you want to spend $8 each time... trying to figure out their colors. Stay far away from this company.

I am using the REDS and they are especially off on the tones they claim to have. You will notice they don't have a dark auburn. Why... Because their medium auburn is dark auburn. Very unhappy. Was going to buy 2 more pieces because I thought there was a chance I could match my hair to their misguided colors... but I will go somewhere else. They should offer color pieces of hair for blondes... brunette and reds for $8. I would have rather paid and got it right since their pictures are screwed up... but you know I BELIEVE A BIG PART OF THEIR INCOME COMES FROM PEOPLE EXCHANGING THE CONFUSING COLORS THEY OFFER.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Have ordered twice from them. I was not satisfied and sent wigs back. Neither time did I get a refund. They said they gave them to nursing homes and I didn’t get a refund. First I ordered I thought, "Well maybe I was too late sending back" but second time I was sure and sent back same week I received but they said same thing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?

Original review: April 15, 2018

I ordered some clip-in hair extensions that turned out to be too yellow for my taste. I was well aware of their strict return policy so the day I received them I e-mailed customer service for return authorization & label. I didn’t hear anything for five days & e-mailed them again... still nothing. I sent another e-mailed stating that I’d been waiting since ** date for a response.

I finally got something back two days later stating that they had replied to my other two e-mails and that my return window closed and a refund would not be possible. I replied back that I was very disappointed with their response since I had not received their e-mails and would it be possible to speak with a Supervisor. That was five days ago and I’ve not heard from them yet. You can try selling your items on eBay or Poshmark and at least try to recoup your money or donate it yourself and take the tax write-off. Yes, we’re all getting ripped off but the only way this company is going to change is if they lose customers. I wish I would’ve read the awful reviews before I placed my order!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I ordered a clearance wig. No mention they were not to be returned. It was poor quality and looked so fake. I returned it with their printed label and received a card. They donated it & I got NO credit. I then ordered again on an expensive one and it was not good. I got part of a refund. They have charged me $14.95 a month for three months and couldn’t get it cancelled for a free shipping charge. I won’t be buying from them & would like a refund on their Platinum Plus for three months.

Original review: April 6, 2018

On January 2, 2018 I ordered a couple wigs and some accessories. I returned the wigs and one of the accessories on January 16th, using their pre-printed return label. For over a month I heard nothing from them, so sent an email. They said they would check on it. After several other emails and no refund, I called on March 30th. Lady said they received it January 21st and would put in for the refund, should have it by April 4th, no money yet. After another phone call April 6th, she said it would be another few days. I am not happy with their business practices. Would never do business with them again.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I am ashamed to live in New England when the girls working at the outlet store are rude and not organized. I do not know WHO is running Paula Young, but they are not doing a good job, especially with both store and online customer service. I have had terrible experiences especially at the store. It's a shame because they do have a decent product for the price. Your customer service can only be as good as your supervisors so I hope they are reading these complaints and taking them seriously!

After I receive my last order (whenever that will be???) as they ship faster to Canada than someone who is literally 40 miles away - I will be done with this store. Obviously your supervisors aren't effective! You can keep the hiring new people, but unless you have good effective people in charge at the top, nothing will change!! If you can't even get your customer service to reply back to a "how are you?" question - you've already lost the battle. A little COURTEOUS GOES A LONG WAY!!!! Massachusetts people are not THAT RUDE!! What is your problem? Customer service is so rude in fact, it's almost like they are trained in it. It's that bad.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I orders a wig. When received it was the wrong color. I pointed out that the wrong color was handwritten on the invoice. After a while of haggling, they said I could return the wrong colored wig and they would donate it to charity... But no refund. This happens frequently, too frequently to be a once in a while mistake. They keep your money no matter what. Isn't the Consumer Affairs looking into this? Who pays them?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have ordered from this company for at least 30 years. I have alopecia and need to wear a wig full-time. The policy changes in this company and the loss of quality of their products has been so disappointing. I recently sent a wig back within the time frame in their return statement. But the time started when I ordered, I guess because I received a postcard saying they had donated my wig to charity. No name of the charity or number for tax purposes. I am sad to say that as a faithful customer of this company for so many years, I will no longer be purchasing items from them again.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I thought two weeks and put in the promo for free shipping and I even received two different emails showing my charges. A few days later I get another confirmation email and this one includes $12.99 shipping. I’m disputing it but they’re saying I wanted it expedited, and the email was rather curt. So I replied I did not want to expedited and here are the charges I received. I will be disputing the difference with my credit card company. I’m sure they’re doing this to others and if they do this to you please don’t accept it and fight it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I ordered 2 wigs which didn't look right. I called and was instructed that returning my items was fine. So I followed their instructions and returned both items. After three weeks I called and they stated 1 was credited and the other was final sale so was donated - no credit! I explained I was told returning them was fine and they basically said... no refund. I then told them that I haven't seen the credit for the one wig in my bank. They said it was given three days ago and isn't their problem... Really?!? I'm out money from two wigs. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I purchased the Vina wig in late December. When I received it, it was super bumpy in the back because the hairs had been curled up and pressed into the wig cap--looped into the wefting of the cap. I was concerned that if I had the curls steamed out of the cap, the wig would lose its shape/cut... So I returned it (paying for the shipping on the return). They determined it was indeed defective and sent me another one... with the same defect! So I called PY right away, was told they would reimburse me for the shipping and to send this one back as well. I also clarified that I would NOT pay the 20% restocking fee since this wig had the same defect as the last one (both Vina wigs--clearly someone at the factory was not skilled in basic wigmaking). Of course they agreed, but then charged me the restocking fee anyhow.

I called to complain and was told that I would have that refunded as soon as they inspected the wig. Two weeks later I called back and was told that the second wig didn't have any defects so they wouldn't refund the restocking fee or reimburse me for the shipping fees to return the first or second wig. I have purchased several of wigs from PY with no problems, but after this mess, I will no longer buy from their company. Never again!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This past year I have purchased 4 of the secret crown pieces and with my hairdressers help styling them, they were absolutely perfect. The fifth piece I purchased did not have as much hair as the ones I previously purchased and when I attempted to return it in January for an exchange as this one did not have the same amount of hair as the others, I was told I was too late and if I did try to return it would be kept and donated to charity. Please also note that their return clock begins on the date they mark it as shipped out and drop in items from a 3rd party vendor have only a 21 day total window - assuming they will even honor a return (I have my doubts). I WILL NEVER RISK ANOTHER PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I ordered a wig from Paula Young, paid extra for quicker delivery, was advised by the representative that I would receive the FedEx package by 1/31/2018, nothing! I called Paula Young at 1-800-364-9060 and was told that I was never told the wig has not been shipped, however it should. I asked about a refund, was told no, I'd have to wait until I did receive the package, return it, but I would have to pay a $7 return fee. Do not trust these representatives, they will tell you what you want to hear simply to get your billing information and then they are done with you. I am going to dispute the charge with my credit card company and have the charge reversed. Never again, just stop and think of the many cancer patients that are possibly being taken advantage of in such a dark time in their life.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

November 30, 2017, I purchased 2 toppers from Paula Young. When they arrived, I realized one of them was the wrong color, which was an orange color. The topper was $59.99 and I returned it on December 21, which was 3 weeks later, with the tag still attached. After about 1 week, I started checking my credit card for the refund. When there was not a credit after about 3 weeks, I called and I was told after being on hold for several minutes that they found my return and they had been doing inventory and would credit my account in 24-48 hours. I had my tracking information and saw where it was picked up from the Post Office, but it was not showing that it was delivered to Paula Young. When I heard the story about the delay due to inventory, I was satisfied with that explanation.

After this, I waited about 4 days and called again. The recording said I did not call within normal business hours and I should call back. I hung up the phone and called back to talk to another department, other than the return department and that department said she could not help me and offered no explanation concerning the recording that stated they were closed.

The following day I called again and I was able to talk to customer service. I was put on hold again for several minutes and then when the lady came back to the phone she told me she was sending an email to her boss and it would be reviewed and then I should call back again in 2 days after her boss had reviewed my email. I waited a few days and called them again. Today, it is January 30, 2018 and when I called I never was able to speak with anyone because now my associated phone #, customer #, and related order # are not recognizable. I suppose I give up. I cannot believe this company. In all my years of doing business, I have never experienced this kind of deceit, lies, and theft. BEWARE.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have bought several wigs from Paula and they were okay. Made the mistake of buying a clearance wig. It was not the wig I ordered. You can’t return a clearance wig but via e-mail they agreed to take it back. The tag's still on. I was to pay 7.99 for shipping. Okay lesson learned. I sent it back got a receipt from the post office for it. 10 days went by hadn’t heard anything from them so I called a very rude customer service person. Said they didn’t receive and even if they did now it would go into a restocking charge for 19.99.

By that time I really didn’t care one way or another. The wig came back the next day. Postman said it was delivered and they sent it back, go figure what can you do. I paid 39.99 and it was costing me 34.00 to return it which I probably wouldn’t have gotten, because now they ignore any communication. I hope Paula Young looks at these reviews. Shame on you. A lot of people who buy from them are chemo patients and have no hair, that was my case. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I ordered wheat and got a light brown. I shook out one of the clip on to see better, determined it would not do and immediately put it back in wrapping and took it the post office at once. I finally got my refund. Paid $49.99 and received $31.99. This is not what they promise. When a company does business like this, it makes me leery to do any online business. I will not be reordering from Paula Young that is for sure!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Received the wig Eva, it was such poor quality. I bought wigs for 47 yrs and this is the worst company to deal with. I bought a wig on sale for $39.99 and it was such poor quality. I sent it back today and it will cost me 7.99 for shipping, I don't have a problem with that but 14.99 for restocking is ridiculous amount to charge. I will only be getting back 18.00. So they are making money on me for nothing. Will never order from them again. Before I received this order I ordered another wig from them, so that will probably be going back. That was my mistake to order before I checked out the first. My other wig was Alex for 39.99.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

When I received the (Codi) wig yesterday, it looked nothing like the pictured wig in the online catalog. I feel it is very deceptive to not mention that the wig they are showing in the catalog has been altered. The wig I received was literally a hot mess. Awful. I would be embarrassed to take it to any reputable stylist to be shaped up. I sent an email to their service department and told that I would receive an answer to my complaint yesterday. I have not nor do I expect to. Very disappointing. I feel that they prey on women or men who may be in vulnerable positions. Chock it up to experience. I will never look at their catalogs nor order from them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

It seems PY lures you with promo of Free Shipping. I bought a wig, the Free Shipping and $10 off was applied, I clicked send. When I checked my credit card, they had charged me $11.99 for shipping! How was it changed? I called to get it resolved, the Customer Service rep hung up on me. I emailed the company, they replied with they will be refunding the $11.99. No we are sorry, no explanation as to how it happened. I have been in customer service for 40 years, you need to learn to listen. She answered the phone "Hello". Should say "Thanks for calling PY, how can I help you?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The promo in huge letters on catalog says. "Take $10 off + Free Shipping on your order of $49 or more." So you buy a wig for $49.00 (and for good measure threw in an accessory for $3.50) but didn't get free shipping. WHY? Because they take off the $10 first, now your order is no longer "$49 or more" so you have to pay shipping which is...$10. So the right hand giveth and the left hand taketh away. So the promo with the + is misleading. It is NOT $20 off + Free Shipping, MT here's no AND free shipping, it's one or the other. What a scam!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I placed an order, and paid premium shipping for an item that cost $30 and guaranteed 2 day delivery. It did not arrive for 4 days and in contacting this company I found the worst customer service of any company I have dealt with in years - this company sucks. I am returning the item and I find their attitude, their UNWILLINGNESS to provide any HELP, or to refund the PREMIUM SHIPPING FEES UNCONSCIONABLE~ I warn all against doing business with this hideously bad company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I ordered the wig named Casey. I was never so shocked when I tried it on. NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING like it was shown in their catalog. Hardly any HAIR!! The quality was horrible. I could not even comb it... why??? Because NO HAIR. Literally made me sick. To make matters worse, I didn't realize that after you cut that pesky little tag off in the back... you cannot return it. I wouldn't want ANYONE to get it anyway. I AM THROWING IT IN THE TRASH CAN!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Tell Paula Young to stop sending her catalogs to ** people. She had nothing we are willing to buy. Tell her to mix it up and maybe we might consider buying something from her. PLEASE don't need these catalogs.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your upset with our company. In order for us to remove you from the mailing list we will need your mailing address as well as your first and last name. Thank You, Paula young Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I think your Expert Review-Research Team needs to recheck their review. I ordered 216.43 of product from Paula young. I was charged $14.99 postage. On your research review it says that it should have been free postage for that amount. I ordered from a $ 29.99 and they charged me $34.99 for 2 of them saying it was more because of the color. 30B should not have been charged extra for color and 6/28 was also charged extra. I was going to send 2 of the wigs back but after reading all the people that wrote saying they never got their refund or Paula company decided it was not in perfect shape so they donated them without asking the person if they wanted to do that.

How do we know they donated it? And if the person wanted it donated it should be from the person that paid for it. I was going to order a couple more wigs but after talking on the phone to someone that was taking my order she said that I would not get free color upgrade while it says on front cover 20% off order of more than $59. PLUS free color upgrade. Will not order from them again.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with your last order. We have reviewed the order and the catalog that you ordered from was for all of the wigs to be priced at $29.99 and didn't offer free shipping. In our catalog, on the internet, and on the paper that is enclosed in your box our policy does states final sale items/clearance items. We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Especially Yours Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I tried ordering an "add on" hair piece. Customer service was strictly an order taker. Was not at all helpful and seemed to know very little about the products. She essentially answered me by reading back what was in the catalog. I could and had read that myself! I never placed the order because she was so incompetent at providing any information beyond what was in the catalog. I don't know why bother to have a customer service dept. if it's not to be helpful to the potential customer!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought a wig and returned it with all tags attached as it did not fit and shiny fake looking. Rude customer service person told me clearance item and Paula Young term final sale. Nowhere on my invoice or online order did it state final sale. I would not have bought any item I could not try... stupid unfair policy for a mail or online wig company. I have contacted the attorney general office. If order did not state final sale the consumer should not have to research the policy. It should have said final sale as not all clearance items are final sale in retail! I am on a fixed income and would never purchase without being able to return. Very rude customer service supervisor.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I ordered 2 wigs over 3 weeks ago in large. When the order came on August 1, they sent me the wrong size. I called and explained the problem. They said they would exchange them but charge me 7.99 for shipping. I told them this was their order not mine. However they had to review the recording my order before they could exchange it without charging me. They said it would take 24-48 hours to do that.

I called back in 2 days. They hadn't reviewed it yet. They told me to call back by 8/15 and it would be reviewed. I called back today. Still not reviewed. I was quite upset. They said they were reviewing it as we spoke and to call back in 2 hours. I did. Still not done. I am so upset with this company as I've been a customer for over 20 years. This is not the way to treat long standing customers. I cannot believe they can't review a 2 minute phone call in 2 weeks, let alone give a long-standing customer the benefit of the doubt if they cannot review this. I'm finished with this company.

Paula Young Wigs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Massachusettes and founded in 1978, Paula Young Wigs is an online women’s discount wig shop. It offers a wide selection of synthetic and human hair wigs, hair pieces, wiglets, wig accessories and head coverings. Customers can purchase wigs online or by catalog.

• Discount prices: Paula Young Wigs specializes in discount wigs and hairpieces and most of its prices are substantially lower than many of its competitors. It also offers frequent sales, clearance deals and other promotions to ensure the prices stay low.

• 150 percent price guarantee: Paula Young offers a price match guarantee of 150 percent of the price difference if you find the exact same product advertised on a competitor’s website for a lower price. If you find the same product cheaper elsewhere within seven days of your purchase, email a link to the product page to Paula Young customer service.

• Free shipping: Any order made at Paula Young’s website totaling $59 or more before taxes will ship free to anywhere in the continental United States. Customers can purchase expedited shipping for an additional cost.

• Direct manufacture: Paula Young offers many brands on its website, including name brands and exclusive Paula Young brands. It manufactures all of its own branded wigs directly, which allows it to offer lower prices and a unique selection of wigs you can’t find elsewhere.

• Free one-time exchange: Selecting a wig online can be difficult, so Paula Young offers customers a free, one-time exchange within 21 days of the original ship date of your wig. Paula Young will even pay for return shipping. You will need to use the website to fill out an Exchange Authorization Form before returning your wig for exchange.

• Best for: women who are looking for a discount wig, hairpiece or wig accessory.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs