3.67/5

253 Paula Young Wigs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 20, 2019

I phoned today, May 20th, 2019. Whoever answers the press #1 so you can request a sample (swatches), was super rude and had a bad day attitude. I told her that I needed red samples but just before I hanged up I told her that I rather receive the brunette colors. She said in a very arrogant tone, "I already sent the request, don't you understand what that means." No **, all you need to say is, "once I hit the sent button, I cannot make any changes, sorry about that", or something like that. Of course I would not order whatsoever from this website, A. Lack of professional customer service, B. Reviews of wigs and returns are 99% on the negative side. Thank you.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Josephine, Thank you for contacting us.We will review your call and we will contact you shortly. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2019

I tried to place an order, had coupon code for free shipping and I selected the standard shipping. When I clicked on checkout after entering my address which is in Oregon, the option for standard shipping was not available. It listed only priority shipping and mentioned Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, etc. I called the company, spoke to someone, he said it’s a computer glitch and I should place the order then call back and they’ll Remove the shipping charge. I did that and now they won’t remove the charge and the woman I spoke to didn’t believe me and kept telling me that I chose the priority shipping.

If anything makes me irate, it’s accusing me of lying. So for $12.99 Paula Young lost a long time customer. I don’t even need this order till July so why would I pay extra for priority shipping. By the way I just tried it again and it did the same thing. Oregon is in the United States Paula Young. This was the worst customer service I’ve had in a long time. Only gave it one star because I couldn’t do zero.

Get expert buying tips about Wigs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Online order on 4-9-19 sale price $59.99 average size, beautiful color, but could not wear this average wig. Too big. Returned it with their return label, cost $8.95 the next day with everything going back including the hairpins. Waited for my refund of $51.04 which thru the years and many wigs, they have been very good. Not this time, called, the girl talked over me would not let me talk. I ask for her supervisor, she hung up on me. I went back thru customer service, said they could not find my order, or my phone number, but they had my address and sure took the money quickly out of my account.

I have been buying from them for probably 10 years. They told me to go back to customer service which I had already done that, they could not offer me any information. They have all the information as the unkind person on the phone, repeated it to me. I will not ever recommend them to anyone nor will I ever order again from them, what a disappointment with this company. I am 76, could use my refund back of $51.04. They were always so honest and quick to take care of any return before. Will have to find another place to purchase what I need. Sad that this is what they have become...

Dear Ms. Carolyn,

Thank you for contacting us. Can you please provide us with some more information? Can we please have your order # or customer # or full name and address. Once we have this information we will gladly look into this for you. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Consumer Affairs Customer Service

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

If you buy anything from Paula Young if you return the product for a refund you WILL receive HALF of what you paid for your item. Paula Young Wigs charges an exorbitant restocking fee and will not give you back the amount you paid for even when you return the item with all the tags and in the original packaging. In a world of internet sales and returned items as the norm for online shopping these days, Paula Young provides one of the worst refund policies around! Buying wigs online is tricky because of the difficulty of matching one's hair color to hair pieces. So buyer beware! Do not expect to receive a full refund on your purchase price from Paula Young. I will never buy anything from them again.

Dear Ms. Catherine,

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry that you are not happy with our return policy. When you send an item back you only get the cost of the item back. If you use our label to return the item there is a cost of $8.99 and you do not any shipping charges refunded to you. Also if the item is past the 30 day return policy there is a restocking fee that is also applied. All of our return policies are on our website for customers to review perform sending items back.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 1, 2019

Very disappointed with Paula Young customer service. My mother is 91 and has ordered many wigs from them over the years. She tried a new style and it did not fit her. For the first time she returned an item. The item she purchased was $89 and her refund check was for $53. After spending 30 minutes on the phone with customer service they told me she was charged a $19 restocking fee because they did not receive returned item within 30 days. This is not the way to treat a loyal customer! My mother's customer # is ** and this order # is **.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. We are able to make a one time exception if you can provide the order number or the customer number so we can make the exception. Please contact our office and request to speak to our Customer Support Department who will make the exception. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2019

I ordered a hairpiece described as STRAIGHT hair and received a hairpiece with tight little curls. I thought they sent wrong item but the item #'s matched up. Online customer service not at all helpful. Said to call. I called and they said "we stand by our description of the item". To send back I would need to pay for shipping even though the product was falsely described. Terrible customer service.

Also the piece arrives bundled up in some netting. If you take it out of the netting for a better look you cannot get a refund at all. I understand hygiene is an issue but they could just have a tag on the hairpiece which can't be removed if you return it. When I was told return shipping would be my problem I took it out of the netting to see if I shook it out a little the tight curls would loosen up. The curls stayed in tight ringlets and now I can't get a refund on the item either because I looked at it.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that the item was not as pictured or described. Can you please provide your order number or customer number so we can notate your account? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: April 12, 2019

After ordering a wig in the same size I always get for 20 years it was too small. Sent it back same day with no response from them. In 6 weeks I finally called. They said I had a credit of $23.00 and that they would take it off my next order, so I ordered a new wig. They are charging me full price. Said I needed to order over the phone, nobody told me that so now I'm paying full price. I will NEVER from this company again.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. Can you please provide us with your order number or customer so we can review your account? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: April 9, 2019

My grandmother has cancer and her friend gave her a Paula Young catalog. She had her heart set on a wig in the catalog so I bought her the high quality (meaning most expensive) wig of the type. When we got the wig, it was very thin, the hair was not as long as the woman pictured, and it's virtually unable to be styled. We measured her head to be average, and order the wig that size, when the wig arrived it is so tight she cannot wear it and be comfortable. Not only was the wig worthless, I was automatically enrolled in a "Platinum Plus" program I was unaware of until my credit card was charged. I called the company to dispute the charges and was hung up on or wrongly re-directed twice. On the third time I finally got the charges reversed. You will get junk mail from these people as well. Be warned.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that you have your experience with our company was not pleasant. Did you adjust the velcro adjustments in the back of the wig one inch larger? If the tags are still attached you can return the item. Please provide us with the order number or customer number so we can notate your account. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: March 27, 2019

I returned a wig Colleen on January 25, to the Mississauga Depot in Ontario. Was signed for and accepted at that Depot. I phoned the USA number 4 times. They claimed they have not yet received my return. On the same day I returned Colleen. I have order a wig called Blair. I received that one, no problem. I am very disappointed that I never received my refund. Before this incident I was extremely happy with my wigs and also the services. Free shipping is false advertising also. Can someone contact me on this??? I doubt anyone will. Yes very disappointed.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that you have not received your refund for a returned item. Can you please provide us with your order number or customer number? We have a Consumer Representative who will look into this matter for you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: March 25, 2019

Do not buy from Paula Young. They say they have a great exchange policy which is not true. Tried to exchange my wig for a different color and they refunded me $30 less than what I paid. The new wig was on back order and they would have charged me full price again. Their return and exchange policy is an out and out lie!

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that you do not like our Return/Exchange policy. As stated on the back of your collate, the standard shipping on the order is non-refundable. You have the option of using the smart label to return the item back to us or you can pay at your local post office to have the item returned back to us. We refund you for the original item (minus smart label is used) and then we bill you for the new item. Again we do apologize.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have bought several wigs in the past but my most recent purchase needed to be returned. I was charged $31.98 and was unable to get free shipping due to the fact that you cannot combine 2 promotions. In BIG numbers it says sale price $19.99 then when you go to checkout the teeny tiny print says sale prize items cannot qualify for free shipping yet the cover clearly says free shipping. Anyway the wig needed to be returned, they promote you using their return label only to later find out that they debit $7.99 from your refund for using their label again teeny tiny print. I was credited for $23.99.

As return is being processed they now debit $42.63 for exchange wig, so now in total I paid $50.62 for one wig. Called and complained about the $7.99. Got nowhere. Asked for manager and she talked down to me and said the fee is written on return label. Let's be real here. Majority of Paula Young customers are elderly women who for 1. most are probably wearing glasses and 2. are not entirely computer literate. I think it's a scam how they are taking advantage of their customers. Hope people read these reviews before they are too victims of Paula Young teeny tiny writing scam!!!

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with our policy. We never combine offers which is listed in all of our catalogs. The smart label is optional. There is another option to the return the item back to us. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Dealing with this group is like pulling hair out!! They cashed the check for the wig payment, the wig was never received and ordered Feb 9, 2019, and now they are fighting giving the money back or sending the wig because they said the check was never received. Never again, and probably why they rate 1 star at best in most reviews.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your experience with our company was not pleasant. ?Can you please contact our Consumer Line for further assistance? We have a live representative awaiting your call in regards to your complaint. Again w edo apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have ordered several wigs from Paula Young in the past months. I first ordered the clearance ones to try because I didn't know what style or color I wanted. Once I did this I then ordered similar styles in VersaFiber. I have not been disappointed at all. I now have 7 VersaFiber wigs and will be ordering 2 more this week. It's all a matter of personal taste, but I didn't care for the cheaper ones, as they didn't look natural to me. However I am in love with the VersaFiber ones and now have the confidence to go out again.

Dear Ms. Monica,

Thank you for contacting us. We are so glad that we can give you the confidence again to go out. If there is anything else that we can do for you please contact us again.

Thank you, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I received my first Paula Young wig Saturday. I was so excited to get it. I purchased my first synthetic wig in a shop and I liked it. Then I went to the Paula Young website and there were so many wigs to choose from and much better prices. l wanted several of them. So I ordered one. When it arrived, it was not the color as shown but not a problem. I boxed it up to send back and chose another color and style for an exchange. I was just waiting for Monday to call them and explain the problem and send back.

Then while I was searching the web, I saw Consumer Affairs, I could hardly believe the negative feedback. It was so depressing. It is obvious that they were not going to return or exchange my wig either. I knew with all the “donations” they make, they would not accept my return. It’s close to impossible to return exactly as you receive it. Never heard of such poor return policy and customer service. I sure wanted the other four wigs but too much of a chance some of them would end up donated also. Also, someone mentioned, the website. I thought I had problems with my PC. I could not change webpages on their website but later I could change pages. Not my PC. Just a bad website.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Shirley, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with your experience. Can you please provide us with your order number or customer number so we can review your account. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had considered purchasing a Paula Young wig and tried to do so via their website. I tried for HOURS to get on there but it only brought up a blank screen. I called customer service to inquire if there was a problem and got a rather snotty reply…she was logged on to the site so there was no problem. I have a smartphone and had no problem getting on to other sites. She told me to reboot. DUH...already did that. Figured I’d try on another day. But then I decided to read the reviews and complaints against Paula Young Wigs and so glad I did. I definitely would not order anything from PY. I did not see a single favorable comment from anyone. Thank you everybody for your honest opinions and experiences with this company. You have saved me a lot of aggravation...not to mention the money for a lousy product.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologized that your not able to access our website. Did you clean out your cookies or closed any additional windows? Please give us another try if possible. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Update on 05/19/2019: Sandra ** customer # ** - order # **. I returned 2 wigs on January 20, 2019 and have not received the credit owing for these two wigs. I have call 3 times and was advised it would take 3 months. It is now 5 months. The tracking # is **. I am very dissatisfied with their service. If a wig can arrive in a matter of days it is frustrating to wait months for a credit and wonder if I will ever receive a credit.

Original Review: I have ordered Cover Girl Wigs 4 times. The 1st time I was very pleased. The 2nd order was very unsatisfactory and I returned them. I foolishly order 2 with each order. The 3rd order did not fit and sent it back and still waiting for the refund. I ordered again and still not the same as the 1st order. Previously I service representative advised me that I should take the wig to have styled - big mistake!!!

My stylist advised me that the fullness in the sides was not there and she had difficulty and unsuccessful in styling to my satisfaction. I called customer service and I repeatedly told that I could not return. I am now out $98.12. I will never order another wig from Paula Young if this is not rectified. I also gave my stylist one of your catalogues for them to advise customers that wanted to order a wig. I will advise them to discard the catalogue. Also, I will ask my son to write a blog about my experience unless I am able to return the wigs and get a refund.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Sandra, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. Once you have a stylist work on your wig you can't return the item for a refund. However, we would like to research your account and see if there is anything we can do. Can you please provide an order number or customer number for further assistance? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I am another customer who purchased a wig that looked like a wig from Party City. My mom purchased PY wigs before and size M always seems to fit fine. This one, while labeled as size M, fit her more like size XXS. The edge looked like it was missing hair and it was so small it wouldn't even reach the hairline in the back. I emailed customer service, but they refused to refund the money. They said I can ship it back to donate(!!!). They quoted a non-refundable policy for discounted items, but this was clearly a defective merchandise that should have been accepted for a full refund return shipping included! If this matter is not resolved by PY, I will never buy from them again and I will do whatever I can to spread the word that this company doesn't stand by its products and has the worst customer service. Order Number: **.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Ana, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your experience was not pleasant. We would be happy to research your request however, the order number was blocked out so we need additional information to review your account. At your convenience can you please contact our Consumer Line for further assistance; If she does not answer please leave a message and she will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Updated on 02/14/2019: On Feb 13, 2019 my aunt finally received the wigs. I want to publicly say thank you Consumer Affairs for taking care of this matter. If it wasn’t for you, this problem would not be rectify. I’m sorry Paula Young. You’ve lost a valuable customer. No rating for you.

Original Review: I purchased 2 wigs for my elderly aunt for Christmas on Dec 15, 2018. We send them back Dec 26, 2018 for an exchange in color. It’s Feb 7, 2019 and they have given me HELL. According to them and their postal service the package got lost tho we have a tracking number. After speaking with several “supervisors” and days on the phone trying to track the package today they promised to rectify the problem and send the measly wigs to my elderly aunt. They also tried to bill me the second time tho I had emailed them FedEx confirming they lost the wigs.

This company is the worse!!!! They deserve no rating, not even a 1. The operators sound like they care to help but after speaking to 4 supervisors 6 operators and 1 customer support person, I finally got to the billing department. I spoke to a woman by the name of Mrs ** who promised me that she would expedite the wigs to my aunt ASAP. She was so attentive and caring.

I wish to God corporate would read these complaints. Some of your employees are a waste to company. Look me up and see how many times I called and spoke to all your losers. I will never ever recommend PAULA YOUNG wigs. I want to Thank Mrs Latania ** for helping With this tiny problem that turned into a ball of confusion that she couldn’t understand. Mrs ** this company doesn’t deserve you! You work with too many incompetent people.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Perez, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. We show that a recent order is in the process of being mailed out and your aunt should receive her items shortly. We deeply are sorry for all the confusion and we will speak to our Supervisors to communicate more effective strategies to make future issues less complicated. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I paid 117 dollars for a wig topper that looked like a wig from party city. The hairline looked like it was missing hair and I called customer service and received different answers on a refund. First rep said I must fill out form online but when I tried it does not let you click submit. First red flag. Then I called again to be told just to fill out form but form doesn’t make sense as it says on paper to exchange. This company should be ashamed of itself for stealing hard working people’s money. I suffer from alopecia and lupus and this is disgraceful and disheartening to those trying to feel normal. Please nobody give this company any more money!!!

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Jessica, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your recent experience with our company. Can you please provide us with your order number or Customer number so we can review your account? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered my hair piece and waited two weeks without getting my item. When I called customer service and after a long wait was told the order was in the warehouse and to call back in 2 days. The next day the website noted a FedEx tracking number but the order was still not marked as having been shipped. After 3 days, the FedEx number still didn't track, the item still was not marked as having been shipped. I called CS but they could only tell me the item was still in the warehouse awaiting shipment. I tried to cancel, but was told it was too late. I was told to call back in 4 days.

After 4 days, the item was finally marked as being shipped on the website, but the tracking number still was not valid. I gave it a few more days. The hairpiece hadn't arrived and the Fedex tracking number still was not valid, so I called CS a third time to find out the item hadn't shipped by Fedex but by USPS and the tracking number provided was the wrong one. I am supposed to get the item tomorrow. Either way, I'm never ordering from Paula Young again. It's taken a month now, assuming I do get it tomorrow.

Paula Young Wigs response

Derar Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your experience was not pleasant. Can you please provide us with your order number or customer number so we can review the account further. Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have returned two wigs in a timely manner and in pristine condition with all the tags attached. I paid $564.18 USD for both wigs. I got back to my card only $161.28 USD without any explanations. After contacting your support centre and speaking with Stephanie **, I was informed that my records indicate that 460.80 USD was allegedly refunded onto my credit card on August 20th, 2018. That never happened. I don't think that that is a fair practice for such a reputable company.

After reading other reviews I realized that a lot of other people are not happy with how their returns are handled by Paula Young Wigs. My order # is **.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Ms. Flora, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with our company. Can you please provide your order number or customer number so we can assist you further? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I went to Canada Post to return an order. I was advised that the postal code on the return shipping label provided by the company did NOT exist. The street address was correct but they advised me not to send it as there was a high possibility of the package being lost. In a phone call to Customer Service I was told that the postal code on the return shipping label has always been used. Fortunately PayPal came to my rescue and got an address in Maine to use. I am expecting a full refund in the next few weeks. Canadians Beware!!!

Dear Ms, Nancy,

Thank you for contacting us. The address that all of our Canadian returns need to be mailed to is: Paula Young return/Exchange Dept, Gateway Cr, 4567 Dixie Rd, Mississauga, ON L4W1S2. If you are sending your return to Maine we will not get it due to we do not have a warehouse in Maine. We are located in West Bridgewater, Masschusetts.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I used to be a PY customer but the customers who wrote these negative reviews for PY wigs are 100% right!! I purchased wigs from PY for 5-10 years and had to put up with a pile of crap because the wigs were horrible many times and workable with some trimming the other times. I was caregiver for my husband until he recently died and I did not have the time to fight the fight with PY. CUSTOMER SERVICE is non-existent!! I could never return a wig because the tags were removed but there is no other way to wear the wig. It is when you wear the wig that you discover the problem with it.

To make a long story short, let me just tell you... I kissed Paula Young Wigs GOODBYE and never looked back! I now purchase my wigs from NAME BRAND WIGS and the customer service is great. They are NOT RUDE... (I've had PY people argue loudly with me accusing me of lying to them. Thank you... I DO NOT LIE!!!)

The quality of wigs from PY definitely, definitely took a huge dive while I was a customer. For the first couple of years I though they were great and even recommended them to those who asked where I got my wig. I have since contacted the same people and let them know how very disappointed I now was with PY and they told me they had already stopped using them because of their total lack of Customer Service and rudeness when calling for help. You have to realize that it is basically a call center you are dealing with when you call to order your wig from PY. The people you are talking with have NEVER seen the wig you want to buy or have questions about. Paula Young has been around for a long time because I remember seeing their ads in magazines years and years ago.

They are not a small personable company who gives a roaring rip about you or the wig you have questions about. They are dang sure not beauty consultants!! They are phone workers who take your order for the wig you are buying with your good money. After that order is in the books, they could care less about you. Trust me I know!!! Remember, they are phone workers... you're calling a call center and more than likely they may have NEVER seen a wig before... certainly not the one you want to buy.

I now order my wigs from NAMEBRANDWIGS.com or JOSHUA24.com or CYSTERWigs.com. You may pay a little more or may not but you will be certainly far less stressed and much happier with your purchase. I wear Noriko and Jon Reneau. You can also go to YouTube and search for TAZZ wigs. She models all brands of wigs (except Paula Young) and shows you how you can wear them... the different colors. She is wonderful! PY Wigs are not well respected out in the wig community.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My wife has been a customer of Paula Young for over 25 years. She has spent several thousand dollars with the company. She recently returned a hairpiece. The company would not refund her because she did not include the "paper" with her return box. All the tags, hairnet ETC was included in the return box. They deceptively claim that the hairpiece and box did not arrive in pristine condition. We contacted UPS who verified that the package was delivered to them in perfect condition. We are to seek restitution with UPS's backing. Side note: This is the only piece she tried to return in over 25 years. This says a lot about the deceptive behavior of the company. The customer service rep could not and would not provide proof of the condition.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your last experience with our company was not pleasant. Can you please provide an order number or customer number so we can review your account further? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I bought this wig for my Mother, who is losing her hair. The color was beautiful and the style was cute although way too thick and unnatural looking. She put it on and after a few minutes it fell flat. Then her face started turning beet red and she was itching and burning. I had to give her a **. I then thought well I will mist with cold water and maybe it will get better. So I put it on and started having a terrible reaction. Then as it dried, the wig turned stiff and course and fuzzy with glue showing. I cannot believe I just paid $70 for a wig that is defective and we were allergic too with no ability to return it, no recourse whatsoever!! I am so dissatisfied with this company's policies and feel completely ripped off!! Worst Wig Ever!!

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. Can you please provide us with a Customer number or an order number so we can review the account? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Over 20 years with them, and this company continues to go downhill. Wigs are of inconsistent quality, customers service is indifferent at best. Ads... Read the fine print. They have zero customer loyalty. I only purchase new wigs that are rated at 3.7 or more. Product takes forever to get to you, so if you have to return, you need to do it pretty much the same day. If you are 1 hour late, they charge you a restocking fee. They are, unfortunately, the lowest price, so I guess you get what you pay for, like shopping at WalMart.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. Can you please provide us with your customer number so we can review your account? Is there a particular style in question? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been wearing Paula Young and other brands of wigs for years, by choice. The last two wigs I have ordered from Paula Young look absolutely nothing like pictured, specifically Carter and Lauren. I am so disappointed in this false advertising. I am tired of ordering and just putting the wigs on the shelf in my closet or donating them to charity. The Pictures of the wigs look nothing like what I received. I feel this is false and deceptive advertising And I can prove it. I am requesting a response from Paula Young. I have called numerous times but nobody seems to respond. Something needs to be done to stop them from this false advertising.

Paula Young Wigs response

Good Morning, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for the inconvenience and experience you had with our company. At this time can you provide an order number or customer number so we can review the account? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

On August 21st, I placed an order with Paula Young Wigs. The customer service replied to me about being able to expedite a drop ship order. After not receiving the order on the expedited date I called customer service, they explained I should have never been told the merchandise was available for expediting. They credited me the amount for expedited delivery. At that time, I informed them I wanted to cancel the order. We were moving across country at the end of the following week. They notified me they would submit a cancellation to the manufacturer and it would take two to three days to confirm the cancellation.

Long story short... I never received an email or cancellation. Nor, did I receive the merchandise. Now at the end of September my credit card was charged almost 200.00 for a wig I never received. The customer service dept. was rude and refused to work with me on a credit and refused to put me through to her manager! I've had to dispute the charge on my credit card, as this charge put me over my credit limit! I've been a good customer for years! I assure you I will never order anything from these people again. Extremely disappointed how Paula Young's business ethics has obviously hit rock bottom.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Terrie, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize for your experience with our company. Can you please provide us with your order number or customer number so we can review the account and resolve this matter? Again we do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Paula Young Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Visited Paula Young Outlet in Bridgewater, MA. We were recommended by Dana-Farber. We were hoping for a pleasant experience but “IT WAS NOT”! We walked in the door and were greeted with a “FINGER POINTING TO A DOOR” and unwilling to answer our question then continued on with their conversation and then she said “STILL POINTING HER FINGER AND SAID THE DOOR IS OVER THERE” with nasty undertones in her voice! (That’s the information desk that is provided by your company). So now we have gone into the store and the employee says “DIDN'T YOU READ THE SIGN.” “We don’t allow pocketbooks in the store.”

The employee was extremely RUDE in her manner of delivery! So we chose to leave at the very second due to the treatment we received and they didn’t even care. Very rude and disrespectful!!! Why in the world would anyone want to shop at your store!!! We will not be recommending anyone to your establishment and hopefully no one in your family has to go through this experience! I WILL BE LETTING DANA-FARBER KNOW TO NOT RECOMMEND YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS TO ANYBODY!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I ordered the Victoria wig and have been getting wigs and supplies from Paula Young for about 5 years. This wig, after wearing it about 5-6 times starting getting corkscrew strands (like a scouring pad) along the very top and around the front. I called customer service and was told that because I had removed the tags, they could not take the wig back or replace it. I told the girl that tags have to be removed or you can't wear the wig, but that didn't matter. There was nothing that they would do. When I had first called I went to the order prompt and they had my account listed and the items that were sent to me, so it's not like there is no proof that the wig was purchased, and that it was very recent. I finally requested to be taken off from all correspondence (catalogs, email, etc) and this person was fine about it.

Updated on 10/03/2018: ConsumerAffairs did their part and the company did respond. However, once I answered the company back as requested, they just fell off the face of the Earth. I am disappointed in the Paula Young company and cannot believe their lack of concern.

Paula Young Wigs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Massachusettes and founded in 1978, Paula Young Wigs is an online women’s discount wig shop. It offers a wide selection of synthetic and human hair wigs, hair pieces, wiglets, wig accessories and head coverings. Customers can purchase wigs online or by catalog.

• Discount prices: Paula Young Wigs specializes in discount wigs and hairpieces and most of its prices are substantially lower than many of its competitors. It also offers frequent sales, clearance deals and other promotions to ensure the prices stay low.

• 150 percent price guarantee: Paula Young offers a price match guarantee of 150 percent of the price difference if you find the exact same product advertised on a competitor’s website for a lower price. If you find the same product cheaper elsewhere within seven days of your purchase, email a link to the product page to Paula Young customer service.

• Free shipping: Any order made at Paula Young’s website totaling $59 or more before taxes will ship free to anywhere in the continental United States. Customers can purchase expedited shipping for an additional cost.

• Direct manufacture: Paula Young offers many brands on its website, including name brands and exclusive Paula Young brands. It manufactures all of its own branded wigs directly, which allows it to offer lower prices and a unique selection of wigs you can’t find elsewhere.

• Free one-time exchange: Selecting a wig online can be difficult, so Paula Young offers customers a free, one-time exchange within 21 days of the original ship date of your wig. Paula Young will even pay for return shipping. You will need to use the website to fill out an Exchange Authorization Form before returning your wig for exchange.

• Best for: women who are looking for a discount wig, hairpiece or wig accessory.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs