1.21/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

186 Paula Young Wigs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

It seems PY lures you with promo of Free Shipping. I bought a wig, the Free Shipping and $10 off was applied, I clicked send. When I checked my credit card, they had charged me $11.99 for shipping! How was it changed? I called to get it resolved, the Customer Service rep hung up on me. I emailed the company, they replied with they will be refunding the $11.99. No we are sorry, no explanation as to how it happened. I have been in customer service for 40 years, you need to learn to listen. She answered the phone "Hello". Should say "Thanks for calling PY, how can I help you?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The promo in huge letters on catalog says. "Take $10 off + Free Shipping on your order of $49 or more." So you buy a wig for $49.00 (and for good measure threw in an accessory for $3.50) but didn't get free shipping. WHY? Because they take off the $10 first, now your order is no longer "$49 or more" so you have to pay shipping which is...$10. So the right hand giveth and the left hand taketh away. So the promo with the + is misleading. It is NOT $20 off + Free Shipping, MT here's no AND free shipping, it's one or the other. What a scam!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I placed an order, and paid premium shipping for an item that cost $30 and guaranteed 2 day delivery. It did not arrive for 4 days and in contacting this company I found the worst customer service of any company I have dealt with in years - this company sucks. I am returning the item and I find their attitude, their UNWILLINGNESS to provide any HELP, or to refund the PREMIUM SHIPPING FEES UNCONSCIONABLE~ I warn all against doing business with this hideously bad company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I ordered the wig named Casey. I was never so shocked when I tried it on. NOTHING, I MEAN NOTHING like it was shown in their catalog. Hardly any HAIR!! The quality was horrible. I could not even comb it... why??? Because NO HAIR. Literally made me sick. To make matters worse, I didn't realize that after you cut that pesky little tag off in the back... you cannot return it. I wouldn't want ANYONE to get it anyway. I AM THROWING IT IN THE TRASH CAN!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Tell Paula Young to stop sending her catalogs to ** people. She had nothing we are willing to buy. Tell her to mix it up and maybe we might consider buying something from her. PLEASE don't need these catalogs.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your upset with our company. In order for us to remove you from the mailing list we will need your mailing address as well as your first and last name. Thank You, Paula young Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I think your Expert Review-Research Team needs to recheck their review. I ordered 216.43 of product from Paula young. I was charged $14.99 postage. On your research review it says that it should have been free postage for that amount. I ordered from a $ 29.99 and they charged me $34.99 for 2 of them saying it was more because of the color. 30B should not have been charged extra for color and 6/28 was also charged extra. I was going to send 2 of the wigs back but after reading all the people that wrote saying they never got their refund or Paula company decided it was not in perfect shape so they donated them without asking the person if they wanted to do that.

How do we know they donated it? And if the person wanted it donated it should be from the person that paid for it. I was going to order a couple more wigs but after talking on the phone to someone that was taking my order she said that I would not get free color upgrade while it says on front cover 20% off order of more than $59. PLUS free color upgrade. Will not order from them again.

Paula Young Wigs response

Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize that your not happy with your last order. We have reviewed the order and the catalog that you ordered from was for all of the wigs to be priced at $29.99 and didn't offer free shipping. In our catalog, on the internet, and on the paper that is enclosed in your box our policy does states final sale items/clearance items. We do apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank You, Especially Yours Customer Service

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I tried ordering an "add on" hair piece. Customer service was strictly an order taker. Was not at all helpful and seemed to know very little about the products. She essentially answered me by reading back what was in the catalog. I could and had read that myself! I never placed the order because she was so incompetent at providing any information beyond what was in the catalog. I don't know why bother to have a customer service dept. if it's not to be helpful to the potential customer!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I bought a wig and returned it with all tags attached as it did not fit and shiny fake looking. Rude customer service person told me clearance item and Paula Young term final sale. Nowhere on my invoice or online order did it state final sale. I would not have bought any item I could not try... stupid unfair policy for a mail or online wig company. I have contacted the attorney general office. If order did not state final sale the consumer should not have to research the policy. It should have said final sale as not all clearance items are final sale in retail! I am on a fixed income and would never purchase without being able to return. Very rude customer service supervisor.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I ordered 2 wigs over 3 weeks ago in large. When the order came on August 1, they sent me the wrong size. I called and explained the problem. They said they would exchange them but charge me 7.99 for shipping. I told them this was their order not mine. However they had to review the recording my order before they could exchange it without charging me. They said it would take 24-48 hours to do that.

I called back in 2 days. They hadn't reviewed it yet. They told me to call back by 8/15 and it would be reviewed. I called back today. Still not reviewed. I was quite upset. They said they were reviewing it as we spoke and to call back in 2 hours. I did. Still not done. I am so upset with this company as I've been a customer for over 20 years. This is not the way to treat long standing customers. I cannot believe they can't review a 2 minute phone call in 2 weeks, let alone give a long-standing customer the benefit of the doubt if they cannot review this. I'm finished with this company.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Ordered a wig from Paula Young. When it arrived I tried it on, not my style - so I returned it to the box in the same way it was sent to me. The order was placed 7/11/17, and returned a few days later in the way it was sent to me. Today, I received a postcard dated 8/7/17 that informed me that the return period had expired. I called customer service and asked what the return policy was - after much ado - they admitted 30 days (like I already knew), however they told me it was not in "pristine condition." I, then, spoke to a supervisor who held steadfast that it not in pristine condition. Then she said, "That is our policy and we don't back down." So - Folks - I will never order from this schlock outfit again, they must be having many problems. I have never experienced this with any company online - this is a first! My advice - Do not order ANY Wig from Paula Young!!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I returned a wig because it was inferior. It was nothing like advertised. I got a nasty postcard that stated sale items could not be returned and the wig was donated to charity. I was livid. Nowhere was it clear the sale was final. I was not given the option of keeping it. I would have paid for the return back postage. I could have tried to have a stylist work on it rather than be out $58.00.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I am a new customer to Paula Young and have tried twice with two different orders to seek a return for part of each order. After waiting and waiting and checking on why I hadn't received a refund and getting a runaround I get two notifications today, one saying I waited too long to return on the first order (which is incorrect as I returned a wiglet and band two days after I received it with their postage paid return label). On the other order I called before I returned one of the wigs and was told I could get a refund minus the $7.00 shipping only to receive a letter that I could only get customer credit. Good bye Paula Young. I will never recommend them to anyone!

Original review: July 30, 2017

I purchased two wiglets for over $80. When they arrived I could tell they did not match my hair so I didn't even take them out of the boxes. I spent $15 to send them back on the same day they arrived. The company only refunded $17 for each wiglet. This is a deceptive practice and these people should not be conducting business. It is a total scam and from the other reviews I am reading I see it seems to be their practice. Shame on you. I plan to be a vocal about this company's practice as I can to my friends who are wig people. I will post a negative review as many places as I can find.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I purchased Paige, a curly wig, and liked it. When I purchased the same wig again 6 weeks later I took the tags off because I had already purchased the same wig in the past and thought it would be the same. It wasn't, but because I had taken the tag off I couldn't return it. So just beware that Paula Young Wigs have inconsistencies in their quality and the company sticks by their rules no matter what the problem is. Their website says they guarantee their quality 150% - not so much! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 19, 2017

I have purchased many wigs by J Smith. The receipt I submitted and the order number is just one of many orders. Southern Charm, Beach Party, California Girl, Malibu Waves, are my favorite. I ordered Sunset, Seaside, and would not order again. Just not my style. Southern Charm is my absolute favorite wig, Beach party a wavy fun style is my 2nd favorite! I own 60 plus wigs. R Welch, J Renau, Rene of Paris, Gabor and yet my faves are simple basic cap lace fronts by J Smith... WHY? THEY HOLD UP! COLORS ARE GREAT! sf13/16 is my favorite color! AFFORDABLE... CONSISTENT.

I had sunset professional modified. Thin, shortened... a bit of perma but great winter wig... Seaside didn't suit me but all the others I mentioned are my go to wigs... while my 3 upstage by R Welch sit on their wigs stands due to tangles and VERY high maintenance. My southern charm and beach party just go and go and look and feel great. The service at Paula Young completely depends on who you talk to... and that's a bit of a drag... but overall my experience has been good.

Original review: July 16, 2017

I ordered a cascading curls clip on pony tail. It was the wrong color. I sent it back with a free shipping label to exchange it for a different color. They did not exchange the item but charged me shipping. They refunded me only $12.00 of the $25.98 that I paid for the item. So I received absolutely nothing for the $12.00 that they charged me.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I bought two wigs from Paula Young on clearance and I swear I have never seen such poor quality as these wigs. I have ordered wigs from Wish for $5.00 that were much better quality and that include shipping. So I think that they probably order their wigs from Wish and sell them on Paula Young. I would NEVER put my name on anything with this poor quality.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I ordered a wig by phone on a Sunday. I needed that wig delivered within a few days because of severe hair loss related to chemotherapy and because I was leaving town. The representative I spoke to assured me that this order could be sent immediately and would arrive on the following Tuesday which was two days. I gave her the correct information for payment and for shipping including my email address. Expecting the order to come today I stayed at home and finally at 4:30 I decided to call and see if they had a tracking number. I did not receive a receipt by email So I was getting concerned.

When I finally got through I found out that my order had been shipped by regular mail and would not be received until possibly the 20th. I became very upset and I asked to talk to a supervisor. After waiting for 25 minutes I was hung up on. I called back. I had to go through the whole explanation once again and finally was put through to a supervisor. She apologized but said there was nothing she can really do about it. She said she would check tomorrow to see if she could find out where my shipment was. This however is not going to help me if I leave town on the 19th. I will probably have to go to a wig store here in town which is going to amount to another hundred some dollars. I'm very upset and I will never recommend this company nor will I ever order from them again. Their customer service is horrible!!

Original review: July 3, 2017
This was my first time buying a wig from Paula Young, although I have bought numerous hairpieces. I read the directions on her site of what size wig to buy. It states that, "If all 3 of your measurements do not match exactly to the one on the size chart, choose the size that corresponds to the largest measurement."

I followed those directions and thought that it would be safe enough to order wig #A4166 812A A, as this wig was on final clearance. The wig arrived 6/30/2017, and I tried it on 7/1/2017. The wig is way too large and will not ever feel secure on my head. I called Paula Young on 7/2/2017 and explained the problem. I said that, "If you will let me exchange the wig for a petite sized wig for the same price or more expensive, I will pay the shipping back to you."

I was told that under no circumstance could they exchange a final clearance wig and that if I sent it back, Paula Young would donate the wig to charity. I was totally misled by their directions of sizing a wig. And now am stuck with an unwearable wig. I told Paula Young to take me off of their mailing list and not to send me any more catalogs, as I could never order from them again - not knowing my size.

Original review: July 1, 2017

Ordered hair piece and clearance wig by phone. Wasn't informed that clearance item could not be returned or exchanged. Arrived was not right color so I called. Then they tell me about the policy! Not with my order! My very first order and it will be my last order! I talked to supervised and she read the policy to me too late. I called because I had trouble with my vision. They shouldn't work with the public, very bad people skills. The hairpiece and wig are useless to me!

Original review: July 1, 2017

I purchased a full wig. My own hair is thinning and hard to style. When I received my order, I was very disappointed! The wig is as thin on top as own hair. I wanted to return it but was told because I cut one tag off they would not refund the purchase. The catalog advertises that these wigs are not heat sensitive, they are a mix of real hair and synthetic so you can curl and style like your own hair. This is NOT true! Since I had to keep the wig, I purchased a hairpiece to fill in the top, since I could never match the color anywhere else. I'll never purchase anything else from this company! Very rude on the phone too.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I bought a wig and it was nice but was too much hair. I sent it back, along with the unopened wig stand and a free hair wrap. I knew the $7.99 shipping would be deducted from my credit. They also deducted the cost of the unopened wig stand that I returned and charged me for it. I'll not buy anything from them again.

Original review: June 29, 2017

Ordered a simple hair pieces and price deducted immediately from my checking account. After nearly two months and no product received, I call to discover the product was sent to an invalid address because the wrong zip code entered. The item was returned since the address was invalid but was not provided a refund until I called yet they kept the shipping charge. I asked to waive the shipping charge which they did confirmed the correct address during the phone call so I reordered the same item after all mistakes happen. Nearly a month passes still no product received. Called and person who answered couldn't understand a basic telephone number to pull up account. I spoke up and asked if she couldn't hear me yet didn't answer me and accused me of yelling at her and she hung up.

What?! I called back asking for a supervisor who indicated the piece was sent to the same invalid address and returned back to them. Good grief. She said she would provide a full refund if I no longer wanted the product. Been nearly 3 months and still haven't experienced the quality of their product but according to other reviews it's not a good product. This place cannot follow simple standard instructions for a mail order business. Sent item to invalid address and although returned they did not issue a refund until I called to enquire then wanted to keep the shipping charge when it was them that sent to the wrong address not once but twice. And still didn't issue a refund when they received the item back. This business is run by people that don't know what they are doing when it comes to taking or shipping orders, issuing refunds for return products and cannot enter basic numbers to view accounts. Don't waste your time, money or patience with this place!

Original review: June 29, 2017

I ordered a wig from Paula Young. When it came the strands were so thin it barely covered my head. I was going to exchange it, however it was on sale, so I will probably never see it again for the exchange to wig. I called as did others and do not know what country I was talking to. They did not care. I said, "Never mind" and they said, "OK."

Original review: June 25, 2017

I have been a Paula Young customer for 9 years and have returned several wigs with no trouble. But something has changed both in the quality of the wigs and the customer service. One of the wigs I returned on May 30, the day after I received By June 15 I had not received credit and called to ask why. "Yes", I was told, "The Victoria wig was received on June 14," and my refund would be issued June 21 which came and went with no refund. The woman I spoke to on June 24 told me that the wig had NOT been received in the warehouse but was still sitting in the post office. Hello! Three people told me it was in house on June 14. Did it just jump up and go back to the post office.

No, now it seems they couldn't refund because they were doing inventory, God only knows when or if I will get a refund for the second wig I returned. I will be contacting Visa to settle the matter and will NEVER order from Paula Young again. Who needs the agony plus the colors of the wigs and the styles look nothing like the pictures. One wig I ordered in the same color as one I already had, arrived in a color not even close. Who is minding the store at Paula Young these days?

Original review: June 19, 2017

My mom has been buying wigs from this company for at least 15 years and has had no problems with them until recently. Her last 5 orders were a mess. The quality of the wigs has really gone down. There's less hair than there use to be on all their wigs. Also, my mom ordered another wig that she had ordered before, but this time it came differently with the cut on top too long. Luckily, my mom knows how to cut hair so she cut herself. Another wig she ordered she tried on and removed the tag before she realized that the very top of the wig in the center was cut real short "like woody woodpecker" she said. She called customer service and they said they couldn't accept it as a return because my mom removed the tag. She threw the wig in the garbage.

Now she has just received another wig which she has ordered in the many times before and it is not the color she ordered. She ordered 27 light auburn which she has been using for quite some time. The wig came with a label in it that said it was 27b. What is 27b? That color doesn't even exist in their catalog. Anyway, it's a brown color, not red at all. She and I compared it to her other light auburn 27 wigs and it doesn't match at all. What is happening to this company? They are going down the tubes. I am now helping my mom find a wig shop somewhere near home. She cannot continue to waste her money with these people. My mom said it's $200 worth of wigs - wasted.

Original review: June 13, 2017

My wife purchased a wig and styling kit from Paula Young. She returned everything and only received a refund for the wig. I called the company and asked about the refund for the styling kit and was told it was a final sale item, so it wouldn't be refunded. I told the person that the catalog said sale only, not final sale so send it back to me. I was told it was donated, so I told her that I wanted a donation receipt and was told they don't have those. I then asked to talk to a supervisor and she was even ruder. I have never dealt with a company with such rude employees in my life. We went through the same stuff as I did with the 1st employee. It finally came down to I should have read the back of the order form envelope that was torn off to send in the order.

It is nothing but a scam. Why put details on the back of the envelope you use to order. Why not put final sale instead of just sale in the catalog. Sale and final are 2 different things. So besides the return shipping of $7.99 and the styling kit at $18.50 it cost me $26.99 for nothing. I believe everything that was sent back was sold again. So do they actually make money selling wigs and accessories or just money scamming people. This company needs to be shut down.

Original review: May 31, 2017

What a con Paula Wigs coupons are i.e., coupon 902174, $10.00 off AND FREE SHIPPING on orders of $49.00 or more... I placed an order of $54.99 used coupon and ONLY GOT $10.00 off. To get A FREE SHIPPING I would have to spend at least $59.00 NOT $49.00, so that when $10.00 off is applied balance has to be $49.00... Clever, but not fair to your customers. If you don't want to give a discount, don't... Don't do bait and switch... it's not good business. I called customer service, they could care less... Don't know what country I was talking to, since there so many other wig companies, I believe I will change to another company and hope for better business ethics!!!

Original review: May 30, 2017

Do not under any circumstances purchase ANYTHING from this company. I purchased what was supposed to be an auburn colored wig. The wig that arrived was brown... Even out in bright sunlight, there wasn't a single reddish hair in the wig. When I went to return the wig, I discovered that I would have to pay a $7.99 fee just to return it AND I would be forfeiting my $9.99 shipping and handling fee. This means that for a $39.99 purchase with a $9.99 shipping and handling fee, totaling $49.98, Paula Young Wigs would be keeping $17.98 of my money... just for sending me a wig with which I was completely unsatisfied. Paula Young Wigs is just a rip off outfit. The return policy is not stated when you order a wig. The policy is only stated in the invoice which comes with the order when it arrives. This is a completely disreputable company.

Original review: May 24, 2017

Called today to find out about a Wig that I returned. Was told that I was being charged $7.95 and I would have to pay this when a new Wig came in the mail. Because they say that nothing was wrong with the one I sent back. Thing was burn at the middle of the Wig and I would have not sent it back if nothing was wrong and If I didn't like it, why would I order another. More or of Less they say people don't tell the true. I'm so mad and told the woman I talked to that I was so done with this company. She said, "Well you only ordered Two Wigs", I told her That right now I have 10 wigs. She was a **.

Paula Young Wigs expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Massachusettes and founded in 1978, Paula Young Wigs is an online women’s discount wig shop. It offers a wide selection of synthetic and human hair wigs, hair pieces, wiglets, wig accessories and head coverings. Customers can purchase wigs online or by catalog.

• Discount prices: Paula Young Wigs specializes in discount wigs and hairpieces and most of its prices are substantially lower than many of its competitors. It also offers frequent sales, clearance deals and other promotions to ensure the prices stay low.

• 150 percent price guarantee: Paula Young offers a price match guarantee of 150 percent of the price difference if you find the exact same product advertised on a competitor’s website for a lower price. If you find the same product cheaper elsewhere within seven days of your purchase, email a link to the product page to Paula Young customer service.

• Free shipping: Any order made at Paula Young’s website totaling $59 or more before taxes will ship free to anywhere in the continental United States. Customers can purchase expedited shipping for an additional cost.

• Direct manufacture: Paula Young offers many brands on its website, including name brands and exclusive Paula Young brands. It manufactures all of its own branded wigs directly, which allows it to offer lower prices and a unique selection of wigs you can’t find elsewhere.

• Free one-time exchange: Selecting a wig online can be difficult, so Paula Young offers customers a free, one-time exchange within 21 days of the original ship date of your wig. Paula Young will even pay for return shipping. You will need to use the website to fill out an Exchange Authorization Form before returning your wig for exchange.

• Best for: women who are looking for a discount wig, hairpiece or wig accessory.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs