2. Shopping
  3. Wigs

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.10/5

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Find discount codes while you shop.

See how much you can save using Honey

Get started

Paula Young Wigs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Paula Young Wigs?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I ordered a wig from Paula Young. Their return policy is full refund within 30 days minus the return shipping costs. They say they shipped 07/12/20, and I must return it to them by 08/12/20. They must receive it by the 12th. They said it took 2 weeks to get here and will take 2 weeks for them to receive. So, it looks like it is impossible for them to ever receive a return within their 30 day window as traveling time is 4 weeks. So, they will deduct $20.00 as a restocking fee minus the $9.00 return label, with a net refund of $6.00. This is not even worth my effort of standing in line at the post office. I would be better off selling this piece of junk wig for someone's Halloween outfit.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I made a purchase on 7/11/20. The charge was posted to my account 7/20/20. I never heard from them so I called. It was someone in Asia and they said I would not receive my pkg because it was backordered until September and the charge was just an authorization. That is NOT true. Associate argued with me. I canceled order and am calling my bank to dispute charge as it was charged to my account. I will never do business with them again.

Get buying tips about Wigs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Paula Young wigs from my experience run small and are too fake looking. I called to confirm their return policy upon deciding to return the first wig I've ever purchased from them. I was told that there's no restocking fee on drop ship items which my order was. Upon receiving my refund it was short by $27 because they did charge that fee even though they said there won't be one. In addition, most of their wig accessories are "not returnable" even if unopened so I lost another $17. I urge potential customers to get Paula Young's statements in writing because they don't keep their word and to also be very careful before buying from Paula Young. You're certain to lose money if you don't. My purchase from Paula Young was the first one and the last one.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Ordered two of these wraps because reviews were negative for matching hair color. They were on sale, and I am a senior citizen on fixed income, so I thought I might be safe to order two different colors--maybe one would match. What I received was very similar to a wrap I ordered from one of those places that said they shipped out of California, but actually took a month for delivery from China. It was thin, as was PY's, and cheaply made. PY's had rubber bands holding the strands of hair that were impossible to hide, and when I wrapped it around my tiny ponytail, my hair showed, and NEITHER wrap matched my color. I have bought wigs from PY in the past, until I realized that they were not heat-resistant and frizzed when exposed to heat (opening oven door). I didn't realize that was what was causing the wigs to frizz, so called customer service and inquired as to what I was doing wrong. The rep said she had no idea!

That was my last PY wig purchase when a friend told me what caused it. I figured a wrap sitting on back of head couldn't possibly frizz from opening oven door and I needed something as my hair is getting thin. I am so disappointed in Paula Young at this point, that I will NEVER make a purchase from this site again. Furthermore, when someone asks about my hair, I've found Vivica Fox "Moore" wig more affordable, has style and colors that are beautiful (I've bought multiples of three colors), heat-proof, and I get so many compliments on it that I will NEVER go back to PY. I just wish now that VF made hair wraps. The PY wraps I purchased were a total waste of money!

Original review: June 12, 2020

I have ordered wigs from Paula Young since 2012. For the last 7 months they have continually have sent me the wrong wigs. I have returned them exactly how I received them. I did not even try them on. It has taken 8 weeks for a refund. They charge a restocking fee of almost $ 20. My recent order they double charged my bank of the original order that was 69.49 then I saw a charge of 76.98. I called them. It took over 12 days for the charge to fall off. The recent wig I received was full of Bobby pins and hair products. I will not shop there again. The company response was to return it. With their guidelines I would not receive my money back.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Wig that I'd selected from the pamphlet for $39.00, was nearly double the price on the website, and there was no information (code key) to enter to get the same discount online as was offered to me in the mailer. I didn't want to send a check because there is always the risk of some mishap occurring along the way, causing me to have to wait sometimes weeks only to discover that they never received it and then I'd have a check out there floating around that - if you I should fail to put a stop payment on - may cause my bank checking account to be inaccurate and/or disrupted for as long as it takes me to decide to pay the $15.00 or higher fee for a check cancellation....I ended up sending in my credit card information in the pamphlet order form, so I could pay by credit card. My choice to pay by mail was the only pay that I could get the price quoted to me for that specific wig (order and item number).

Paula Young took three weeks to notify me, via post card, that the item was out of stock. I am appalled that they would advertise an item via a mailer and quote one price in the mailer and another on the website, for the same item number - and then make it near-impossible to get them to honor the quoted price, and then finally - after wasting weeks of my time, disclosing that they do not have the item after all. My overall opinion: Paula Young reels in potential customers by making them believe the item they select will be significantly cheaper than the price they end up paying, if they call their order in....And you will not get the item if you mail it in. I'm not advising you against patronizing Paula Young, I am simply warning you that you most likely will not get the item for the price quoted to you in a mailer. In photos, I covered name of addressee on postcard only.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I ordered a wig in May and received it in May! No complaints about the wig. I am complaining because they are using my debit card for a monthly membership fee I never wanted nor asked for! $14.95 a month adds up to $180.00 A YEAR! I want my money back and you aren’t authorized to use my card again!

Original review: May 12, 2020

I won't buy again from this company. They took my money and won't acknowledge that I even had an order. It's been about 6 weeks and no item. I have emailed and called them but no luck. Don't know what to do. When they have such poor accounting practices I'm not a customer after this.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Ordered a wig. Returned it in March. I have not received a refund and they continue to charge me a monthly membership fee that I did not request. Don't do business here. They are unresponsive and dishonest. I am out $110.40 cents. No refund in sight. Claudia

Original review: May 10, 2020

In March, I purchased 3 wigs from Paula Young and quickly returned 2 of them because of color. My USPS tracking has told me the company received my return, yet after 2 months that hasn't been credited to my account. I've called 4 times and sent an email. What more can I do? I continue to get emails and catalogs but won't make this mistake again!

Paula Young Wigs author review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Massachusettes and founded in 1978, Paula Young Wigs is an online women’s discount wig shop. It offers a wide selection of synthetic and human hair wigs, hair pieces, wiglets, wig accessories and head coverings. Customers can purchase wigs online or by catalog.

• Discount prices: Paula Young Wigs specializes in discount wigs and hairpieces and most of its prices are substantially lower than many of its competitors. It also offers frequent sales, clearance deals and other promotions to ensure the prices stay low.

• 150 percent price guarantee: Paula Young offers a price match guarantee of 150 percent of the price difference if you find the exact same product advertised on a competitor’s website for a lower price. If you find the same product cheaper elsewhere within seven days of your purchase, email a link to the product page to Paula Young customer service.

• Free shipping: Any order made at Paula Young’s website totaling $59 or more before taxes will ship free to anywhere in the continental United States. Customers can purchase expedited shipping for an additional cost.

• Direct manufacture: Paula Young offers many brands on its website, including name brands and exclusive Paula Young brands. It manufactures all of its own branded wigs directly, which allows it to offer lower prices and a unique selection of wigs you can’t find elsewhere.

• Free one-time exchange: Selecting a wig online can be difficult, so Paula Young offers customers a free, one-time exchange within 21 days of the original ship date of your wig. Paula Young will even pay for return shipping. You will need to use the website to fill out an Exchange Authorization Form before returning your wig for exchange.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team