1.33/5

449 Windstream Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

What I needed was so simple: just to move my router to a different phone jack. What I got was one hour of being transferred from one department to another, and back to the same department again and again. Ridiculous and senseless. I don't blame the minions working the phones, however. It's clearly a management issue. It's as if the company is run by a bunch of complete idiots. All they would have to do is look at their dismal customer service ratings and make obvious improvements based on feedback like that available here. But apparently their priorities lie elsewhere: perhaps in counting their profits from their captive rural audience.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

After 11 years under contract, and now month-to-month, we went to cancel 2 of our 100 voice line services. Talked to a representative on their "Chat" feature and was told to call the number for Enterprise customers. Called and was transferred twice and then told to use their web portal with my login to disconnect. Logged in as directed... Went to "My Services". Lo and behold, there is no drop down menu to disconnect. Time is money in today's world, but here I sit having to try and cancel my service through a review website? Ridiculous...

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Why does Windstream want to keep denying responsibility and yet they don't want the public to know what liars they have working for their company. I had to go to the expense of purchasing a new DVR because what he did with the power line blew the one we had, yet your tech lies and Windstream refuses to believe anyone but their technician because it will cost them money but our phones are shut off when we are late only 13 days on the bill. My job depends on this service yet Windstream don't care about their customers, we asked for more time yet that wasn't honored but I am suppose to believe Windstream when they claim their techs don't lie when in fact they have and will continue to do so because Windstream don't mind screwing their customers. Maybe I need to go to the newspapers about this issue because that will let others know that Windstream won't take responsibility for any action of their employees.

Windstream response

Hi Brenda. Thank you for your recent review. My name is Amanda and I assist in responding to web based reviews for Windstream as well as help resolve customer concerns. I have sent you a private message so we may help you. Please respond with the requested information. Thank you very much. - Amanda.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Been trying to transfer my Windstream phone number to a new mobile carrier for over a month now. The new carrier has requested the number at least 6 times now and the request has been elevated via email 5 times. I have spent over 10 hours on the phone with the new carrier and Windstream. Twice via customer service email Windstream has indicated that they will release the number to the new carrier but it never happens. My last phone call with Windstream ended with the Windstream customer service saying "WELL I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN' BOUT THAT".

My last email exchange with Windstream customer service ended with "Our Customer Care Work Group has been made aware of your concerns and will be reaching out to you soon." That was 13 days ago and not a word from them since. Windstream is clearly in violation of FCC regulations but they continue to ignore my requests to release the number to the new carrier. If you have any alternative stay away from these Windstream.

Windstream response

Hi Robert. Thank you for your recent review. We regret the frustration you have experienced attempting to port your number. My name is Amanda with Windstream and I assist in responding to web based reviews and help resolve customer concerns. I have sent you a private message requesting some information in order to assist you. Please respond and we'll be glad to see what we can do. Thank you. - Amanda.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

We have been a customer for many years. We lost phone and internet service on Aug 25. I called daily trying to get the service restored and each day was told we would have service by the end of that day. After many days of nothing but lies and numerous amount of time on the phone trying to get someone to care enough to fix the issue, someone finally looked into it and sent out a tech. Finally, on Sept 11 after several calls on our cellphone they sent a repair man out. He told us he was glad we kept calling otherwise the issue would never be fixed. No one seems to care and just gave the standard company line, absolutely terrible and no compassion for the hardships caused by their service issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been a customer of Windstream for over 10 years now. I lose phone and internet service anytime it rains. Long waits to repair service come out. I had it fixed last Wednesday and it's out again on Sunday. I had to wait 9 days last time for it to be fixed. Did they credit me. No. I think this is very bad. Now I find out today all my immediate neighbors are out also. I wish they would fix this permanently.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, James. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have been experiencing issues with your service. I would like to help with getting your service restored and any credits for out of service applied. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

On 9/8/18 our phone line went dead (no storm, no major outage). We cannot make calls or receive calls, even to our voicemail. Our VM went out for two weeks last month as well. If you call my home number, it states my number is not valid and no longer in service. WTH? Bill was paid on time as always so no issue there. My cell is extremely limited in home, have to walk to end of driveway for it to work. Now Windstream is known for bad service in N GA-everyone dislikes them because they provide horrific service and it's sporadic at best.

I phone Windstream and got an automated ticket saying it would be fixed by 9/16. 9 days?? I have no way of phoning anyone, calling 911 if needed and I have numerous possible job interviews trying to call me with a disconnected #. I also have a family member in hospital - of which can't reach me. I filed an FCC complaint this morning in hopes someone cares enough to help. 9 days is ridiculous. There was no storm, no winds, no rain, no excuse. Until there is no longer a greedy monopoly called Windstream stealing $ from hardworking individuals this will be a problem. A new alternative cannot come soon enough.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Jennifer. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstsream. I understand the importance of properly working phone service. I apologize that you have been without service. I would like to escalate the repair of this issue for resolution as soon as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have had another continued battle with Windstream regarding damage to our security camera system caused by Mark ** upon his visit about two months ago. When we had an issue with the modem, he unplugged an outside cable going from my home to my husband’s office which is his study he uses for preparing his Sunday sermons and where he works on his Master’s Degree which he is currently working on.

We have complained to Windstream about this but Mr. ** lied to his manager and said he went all the way back to his office to program the modem which is not true given that before we left that morning our cameras were working fine and now we can't get them to come up again and will have to replace either the DVR with like model or replace the entire system at $299 which I don't have. Windstream won't take ownership of their technician’s damage and I am without security cameras to protect my investment and my husband is ticked to say the least because we have another expense we must bear. A new DVR is around $139, and it must be a KGuard model to work with these cameras.

Windstream response

Brenda, Windstream management has completed a thorough investigation including a site visit by local management regarding your complaint and have provided our findings via private message. If you have any questions regarding our response, please feel free to contact us via private message or to the email address provided.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Per the technician he wrote on the box that he programmed the new modem from our back porch which means to get power he unplugged the power line from my husband's office and used that power source. And since the cameras were working when we left that morning and not working when we returned it can only be his unplugging our building and forcing the plug back in that caused the damage. But I can see Windstream don't take responsibility for their mistakes and makes the customer replace equipment Windstream Damages because in effect Windstream is calling me a liar and I take extreme offense to this. The Technician lies to his boss and his boss believes him I guess in fear of being called a racist when in fact the technician is the one lying. I don't ever want that technician sent to my home again.

Windstream response

Mrs. Greene, Windstream management has completed a thorough investigation including a site visit by local management regarding your complaint and have provided our findings via private message. If you have any questions regarding our response, please feel free to contact us via private message or to the email address provided.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I would not recommend purchasing services from this company. Customer service is the worst. Endless hours have been spent trying to resolve a refund issue. We are shifted from one department to another, with a substantial wait time for each representative. No one can ever find any information on the account and passes on to someone else.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Amy E. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have had to spend so much time attempting to get your issue resolved. Please allow me to assist you. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We were told that a service technician would be coming out Monday and we agreed to the date. A confirmation recorded call said the technician would be there between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm the following day. Well I stayed home from work to receive the technician. Nobody ever showed up or called. The following day we called tech support and was told the technician called at 5:07 pm and could not make it! Only problem is there was absolutely no call. This is Windstream's way, to lie. Are you kidding. When you call to complain this is your answer “we apologize.” No matter what they will apologize and do nothing. Worst customer service I have dealt with in decades. Needless to say they have still not showed up 2 days later. Can’t take any more time away from work waiting on this fraudulent company. The overall rating on this site is proof. 1.4 stars. Stay Away from this business!

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Travis. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand the importance of your time and I apologize that we did not met the expectations for the appointment. Please allow me to assist to ensure that your service issue is repaired in a timely manner. I have requested additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

This is a horrible company to work with. Our contract ended in October 2017, and after letting them know in writing, our intent to fully cancel in December, they still charged us over $3000 in unknown charges. Repeated calls and emails went unanswered and finally after 6 months, they credited our account for the $3400. Two months later, we receive another bill for $800 with no explanation, which has now gone to collections.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Angela. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that we were unable to retain you as a customer. However, I would like to ensure that your final billing is correct. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I have had another continued battle with Windstream regarding damage to our security camera system caused by Mark ** upon his visit about two months ago when we had an issue with the Modem, he unplugged an outside cable going from my home to my husband’s office which is his study he uses for preparing his Sunday sermons and where he works on his Master’s Degree which he is currently working on.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

On August 5th, I placed an order via telephone for internet service to be setup on August 21st. I never received a confirmation email and after contacting sales and determining my order number, was told that additional service, and variant to that I signed up on when ordering, was listed. I then cancelled the additional service so that installation of my internet would be today, August 23rd. I agreed to that date and that everything was in order as well as confirming address and email. On August 21st, I received confirmation of order service via text. Today I received a call from installation stating that his order for my account had 2 addresses listed, one of which he was at 20 minutes away.

I promptly told him my correct address and called Windstream. They stated that it was transcribed incorrectly and for 2 different addresses and reassured me that the connectivity was ready to go, despite the transcription error. I felt a moment of relief until the service man came stating that there was no telephone access in which to run the line and that whoever informed me that it was serviceable was incorrect. He stated that the communication amongst Windstream was horrible and that it would be upwards of a month until the service would be installed and good to go.

I apologized for his having to make a trip here and he said it wasn't my fault. He referred me to another local company that was able to confirm service and coming to set up within 2 days. Furthermore when I called Windstream to cancel service, the initial person hung up on me after I explained to him that I had 2 different order numbers that I wanted to cancel. When I called back, the lady said she would cancel the other order that included DirecTV, from which I never ordered or requested to be set up. I am utterly befuddled as to how this amount of miscommunication takes place. I would honestly rather rent Redbox and complete my studies at the library than deal with this complete mess.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Lisa. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I have spoken with you previously about the issues with your installation. I regret their were issues that prevented a technician from installing service. However, as you requested the order has been cancelled. Please let me know via private message if there is anything else we can assist you with acquiring Windstream service.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I would rate them a zero or negative number if I could. We have had difficulties in the past, when moving, with connecting service and disconnecting service. We had no real options when we moved into this house, so we reluctantly went with Windstream+Dish for our phone, internet, and T.V. The internet was slow, overpriced, and we never actually got the speeds we were paying for. Recently, another provider moved into the area, so we switched our service. We were billed for services after we canceled, and continue to be billed. The attitude of Windstream is that we need to pay now, and maybe get a refund several months from now. It is reminiscent of a mafia shakedown.

Customer service is either rude or cannot seem to help. When I had a three-way call last month with Dish and Windstream, they agreed it would be taken care of. It is not. I know the last time we moved we had similar issues, but with the hassle of moving I had just overpaid them and eventually got a check back (several months later). This time, it is a larger amount, and I shouldn't have to lend them the money with no interest! After today's call (when the PHONE company couldn't seem to transfer my PHONE call properly), I am letting the world know about my experiences on as many different review sites as I can find.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Heidi. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that your overall experience with Windstream has caused you to go to another provider. I also regret that you have had issues with your final billing. Please allow me to review this and ensure resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: Aug. 24, 2018

waiting 5 days for internet to come back was not fun, but the technician was nice and the online response and credit on my account was nice.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Last month the internet was out for over 2 weeks. Now a month later it went out again. Customer service over the phone is a joke... Nobody seems to want to help. I had to call back again today - nobody still seemed to care. Supposedly someone is going to come out by Thursday (which will be day #5 with no internet), in the meantime - I am supposed to be working from home and I have to drive an hour to work everyday for who knows how long. Everyone that has Windstream hates it and it's for this exact reason. I only have Windstream because that is ALL that is offered in the area. Comcast would have never done this to me or kept me waiting for weeks at a time.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, April. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I sincerely apologize for the issues with your internet service that has caused you this inconvenience. I would like to ensure this issue is resolved. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I am a 20+ year Windstream customer with a landline and basic internet. I needed more speed for the net and waited patiently for 6Mbps to be able to be upgraded in my area. This took 2 years but finally more speed was available. I was happy and readily called WS customer service who were very helpful and offered me an upgrade to 16Mbps for another 9 bucks or so a month with an upgraded modem. He set my appointment up for two weeks out and we agreed on a time of 5:00 pm which allowed me to take off work 2 hours early that day to make sure I was not late. Two weeks later on the day of my appointment, I make it home at 4:05 pm only to be greeted with a note hanging on the door with a time of 2:10 pm, “Sorry we missed you..we need access to your home to complete your ticket, call to reschedule".

I was really upset and called customer service who told me that they don’t ever give specific times like that and am I sure about this. At this time I have no dial tone and no internet. They apologized and they would try to call the crew and would call back. Two hours later No call back, still no phone no internet. I call again... second guy at least was able to turn the internet back on but not the phone. He said they upgraded internet from the outside but was unable to complete it. Then I got transferred to another dept to schedule a technician to come out to fix the line and all he could give me was a date two weeks into the future for that. A week later... no dial tone... no phone. Heck... I’ve forgotten by now that all I wanted was an internet speed upgrade. They cannot even get me back to where I started from. They created this mess of an upgrade themselves. Dead silence is deafening.

Yes I am looking at dumping 20 years of history with Windstream and calling someone like AT&T or Comcast. Yes I am totally beside myself frustrated. If they fail miserably as a company at sometime in the future and some mega-giant sucks them up, well you know why. I ain’t sticking it out. I guess loyal paying customers don’t really matter all that much anymore. This is really stupid stuff here all orchestrated by Windstream.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Martin. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Upgrading service shouldn't have been this difficult and I apologize that it was. I would like to work with you to resolve the service issues that have happened. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Cable out for six days. Called three days in a row. Each time told it was being submitted to internal testing and someone would get back to me by 7 PM the following day. Never received a callback for all three days that I was given the same message from a representative. I told them that I have been told the same message the previous times I called. Obviously internal tech cannot fix this. Both TVs are out. Obviously it is an outdoor issue. First call was on Wednesday. I was advised that somebody would be there by Saturday at 6:00 PM. When I called on Saturday to confirm when nobody showed they told me, "Oh you’re not scheduled until Tuesday." Very poor response time. Would not recommend ever. Pay the extra money for satellite.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Debra. I am LaToya and I manage web-based review for Windstream. I understand your frustration concerning the outage of your cable service. I would like to ensure that we get your services restored as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

We have been down with our phone service for over a week. We call numerous times a day and they just say, "You are not the only one down" and a level 3 tech is working on it. In the meantime, we cannot pick up any incoming calls. Every call gets disconnected. We are a sales organization and the phone is the lifeline to the business. This is the worst phone company I have ever been with and the customer service is less than one star but there was nothing lower I could rate it unfortunately. Since Windstream took over Broadview the service is beyond terrible. I cannot wait to be able to switch to another phone service.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Ann. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your business has been interrupted by a service. We would like to have the opportunity to address these concerns for resolution. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I have a single phone line that I reported on 8/8/18 with no dial tone, I still have no dial tone 8/13/18. I have called back 4 times and waited on hold as I am now for at least 5 min, and one time 1 hour. I last spoke to someone on 8/12 and they said they don’t understand why this has not been fixed, but could not help me because it was a Sunday. Every time we have a problem it takes forever to get it resolved and takes many calls and waiting on hold for it to finally happen. What a mistake, Windstream bought Paetec and made it worse... Still on hold and frustrated... 15 min and going...

Windstream response

Good Morning, Domenic. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize for the frustration of the service issues and delay of getting services repaired. Hopefully, you will allow us to assist you with getting your service restored as quickly as possible. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

On Sunday August 5th, I placed an order over the phone for internet service from one of Windstream's sister companies that works on Sundays, which I later found out. I did not receive a confirmation email and called on Monday and was informed that it may take up to 24 hours. I called later that evening and was informed that it may take 48 hours. On Tuesday August 7th, after the 48 hour time frame, I called the service line once again and they stated that they were not open on Sundays and were not sure how I made the order. I have the phone records and the credit pull for August 5th at the service line number. I was then transferred to the sales department who explained that the sister company worked on Sundays and after some time was able to find my order and give me the order number.

The day of installation was not that of the one I received over the phone. She stated that I should give it another day to get my confirmation email. Today I chatted with someone via the Windstream chat who located my order the order number that I received from the call yesterday and stated that my plan included phone service and the modem monthly rental although I SPECIFICALLY stated via the phone conversation that I wanted the internet service only and that I would be providing my own modem. She then gave me another phone number to call to make necessary changes to my order. I called and explained my situation and was then transferred to another person that accessed my account and made the necessary changes, although the computer "glitched" a few times while I was on hold, and stated that I would receive a confirmation email regarding this change.

I have yet to receive this email, have looked through all my blocked senders and made sure Windstream was on my safe list, although I confirmed the email address with her while on the phone. I would highly recommend the company let all individuals know that the sister company is open on Sundays and perhaps for further training on how to process telephone orders. The line was recorded so I would assume that there is proof that I indeed only ordered the internet service. Furthermore, I would like to receive a confirmation email as I have yet to receive one for either of the transactions. It is 3 day since placing the order and I have made approximately 10 phone calls totaling 2 hours as well as 3 web chats in order to confirm my order and installation date.

This should NOT be the responsibility of the new customer to ensure that everything was processed appropriately and is extremely frustrating as I need to ensure proper service to complete my studies online. I have remained calm, patient, and pleasant with all persons on the phone and chat and my one positive feedback would be that everyone has been professional and courteous. I would highly appreciate someone to contact me and confirm that an email has or will be sent as I am still waiting. I am hoping that the installation process and service once installed with not parallel with my experience thus far because it is very disheartening and upsetting when I simply wanted to place an order to set up internet service.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Lisa. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Getting new service should be a seamless process, I regret that it wasn't for you. I want to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

LaToya

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Windstream is a large company that really doesn't care about the homeowners' properties they pull their fiber optic lines through. Windstream has tore my yard up for a good two and a half months. We have pulled string out of lawn mowers and picked up junk behind them. They finish their work only to leave rocks, and tore up lawn behind them. I have submitted pictures to prove this. I complained and a representative came out and realized that they had actually put their fiber optic on my property and not even close to their right of way. Today they moved it only to put up big signs saying fiber optic. I'm pretty sure it was just a ploy to show who is in control.

I had also asked to move a newly placed pedestal that feeds our house for the purposes of mowing. It isn't in a place that is convenient and workers told me it could be easily moved. Today they just put up a big sign beside it saying fiber optic. Windstream doesn't care about the people in the country that their lines go through. It's sad because we are a longtime customer of theirs but that will end soon. Just another case of big business that does not care about the public and we have to deal with it.

Windstream response

Hi J. We thank you for your review. My name is Amanda with Windstream and we would like to see how we can resolve this for you. Can you please respond to the private message I sent you with the requested information? Thank you so much for your time and your business. - Amanda.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This was once our local phone company, now I wait 30 minutes to speak to someone. I cannot understand or them me. I'm not going to get into a mud throwing contest but everything from my phone getting shut off to them charging a dollar instead of full amount and then a 7 service charge from their mistake makes me want to find a new landline service which I have had the same for 30 years.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Kent. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you have not had the best customer experience. I would like to make sure that we address any concerns that you have. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2018

After posting the negative review, a windstream representative reached out to me for additional information. Long story short: windstream investigated my complaint and has waived the fees that were sent to collections. Now I am a very satisfied customer!!

Original review: July 30, 2018

My entire experience with Windstream has been atrocious. From the product service to the customer service, I’ve had only bad experiences! Example: I moved from one town to another so they had started new service at the home I was getting, while keeping it open on the home I was leaving, so that it was a, “seamless transition”. I have never missed a payment and the old service was to be shutoff once I had the new service. So in this case I wouldn’t be double billed as there was no overlap and I’ve never missed a month(s) payment. Yet, I recently received a collection statement with a $183.46. I called Windstream and they said I have to dispute it with the collection agency. I’m screwed and Windstream is a lying thief!

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Brandi. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for updating your rating concerning this collection matter. It was a pleasure to work with you for a mutual resolution. Should you have any further questions or concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly.

LaToya

Original review: July 15, 2018

I have had Windstream for a year and a half. Today 7/15/18 I tested my download speed at .14. The upload speed wouldn’t even start. This happens far more than it should. I pay $95 a month for service that hardly ever reaches 10MB which is pathetic, and expensive. I called the tech support and it was just a call center with a guy that said he would “open a ticket.” Whoopty Doo... there is a reason this company has a stellar 1 star rating. If I could get any other ISP I would. If I stop working from home I’m going to Satellite. It can’t be worse than this.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Eric. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for allowing us to work with you to resolve the issues that you were experiencing with your broadband service. If you should have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

-LaToya

Original review: July 11, 2018

Firstly, I have used Windstream for over 10 years (what a mistake). Windstream's internet is slow compared to most other service providers. As such, I am now using another internet provider. However, before my contract ended with Windstream, I informed them on numerous occasions via phone and email of my intent to never use its services again after the expiration of my contract, and that I would be changing service providers. I spoke to multiple reps from Windstream, and with each conversation, I instructed them to write a note in my file that I did not wish to use its services after my contract ended. After my contract ended and I started using my new service provider, I received phone calls from various Windstream reps telling me I had an outstanding bill.

Turns out Windstream continued to bill me after my contract ended. I asked why when I had expressed my intent to never use its services ever again on numerous occasions via email and phone, and Windstream's response was I never submitted a disconnect form. I told them I did not know this and I was never told during any of my conversations about having to do this disconnect form. Despite my repeated attempts via email and by phone, Windstream is maintaining that I never informed them "in writing" that I didn't want to continue using its services.

Windstream knew at least 5 months prior to the end of my contract that I did not want to continue using them, and, despite this knowledge, it continued to bill me. Windstream will withhold information and not properly document its files so as to maintain an argument it didn't have notice. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT EVERYTHING: names, times, etc. I would have recorded these conversations if I knew Windstream would use got-ya tactics to extort me for services it didn't even provide. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Domenic. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We hate to lose any customer but I apologize that this process has been so hard. Please allow me to assist with resolution for this issue. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been a loyal Windstream customer for several years. We moved to another provider this year to gain internet speed. We ported over our phone service in January and have continued to be billed for voice service for the last 7 months, even though we requested back up internet only. The justifications and stories have varied greatly between reps and supervisors but all in defense of not crediting my account. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WINDSTREAM!!! What they do when you decide to leave is tantamount to robbery. They do not care about providing service... Only collecting a fee. They also require a contract that prohibits a lawsuit or class action. BEWARE!!! These people provide poor customer service and high prices.

Updated on 07/12/2018: I can't let this lie. Please look at every response to every negative post on Windstream. The same robo-message from a LaToya who states interest in helping and then says she is requesting more information. What a joke! And then, a statement at the top "resolution in progress". If Windstream hadn't carefully placed language in their contracts demanding arbitration and taking away the possibility of a class action suit, this company would be in court non-stop. Just read all the reviews... Same story over and over.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Walter. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have gone with another provider for some services. However, I apologize for the issues that you have encountered with Windstream for your remaining services with us. Please allow me to assist. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: July 9, 2018

Terrible service, lie to you on phone refuse to fix useless internet service then raise your bill and tell you they can't even find your account 90% of time. I have to use phone data plan to access internet not even worth the 1 star rating, Spectrum is horrible but will have to go back to them.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Tom. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience. Please allow us to make this right and improve your service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: July 6, 2018

I am very disappointed to see that my bill has gone up 8 dollars this month. There are new fees in my bill that I have never gotten before and on top of that I was charged a late fee when I have never been late on a payment! My payments were made before the due date. Is the new thing to charge and punish people for making on time payments?

Windstream response

Good Morning, Leah. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I would be frustrated with an unexpected increase in my billing as well. I would like to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been on the phone with Windstream representatives for over 5 hours in the past 24 hours! The "issue" was caused by my request to cancel my home phone and retain my internet service... a simple request, right? Apparently not. I have been without service for a total on 6 hours and now have slow service. I have talked with 15 (no exaggeration) representatives, been on hold for over 4 hours, transferred and dropped 3 times, been asked to verify my account #, address, email, contact info, etc. 15 plus times, been promised resolution of my issue 4 separate times (none completed), been given 5-6 different explanations of what went wrong, multiple departments pointing fingers at other departments, dozens of "I am sorry", "I understand how you feel" and "I appreciate your patience" but not a single satisfactory result.

Was directed to Customer Care to vent my experience and explain the frustration of being cold transferred multiple times (requiring recapping the whole ordeal again and again) only to be transferred yet again. I requested a "warm" transfer and to speak with a supervisor on two separate occasions. Spoke to sups who apologized and promised resolution but did not deliver. Asked for contact info (refused to provide but promised to call me back if disconnected). Was disconnected both times and did NOT receive a callback! That is just common courtesy, unbelievable. Forgot to mention, these folks closed my current account and opened a new one but didn't provide me with the account number... so when I called this morning to report an issue I was kicked out of their voice response system, nice!

Another "feature" of their phone system is that you get kicked back to the bottom of the line in the general queue if left on hold for an extended time. This has happened multiple times to me which requires starting from scratch with a new representative. I have been on hold for 2 plus hours today trying to reach the 'Retention' department... you can't make this stuff up. The unfortunate thing is I have been a customer for over 30 years (internet for nearly 20) and have been very satisfied with their products but this experience is causing me to look elsewhere for an internet provider.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Rick. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience. I am glad that your issues with your service were ultimately addressed and resolved. However, I am still available for any issues that you may have.

Windstream expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.

• Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.

• Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.

• Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.

• Best for: Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs