Windstream

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Out of the 10 agents I have spoken to in the past month trying to get an upgrade on internet service as well as add another line, they were so incompetent. Called to have my internet upgraded. Turns out I needed some new lines run but no one called to let me know. I waited 2 weeks and called back. The agent was not only rude & interrupted me, she was completely apathetic about the fact that I was going to lose my job due to the fact that I didn't have enough upload speed. After that I called in and had another phone line put in just a regular pots line, well turned out to be also a challenge. I had a tech schedule but no one called and no showed up. When I called back they told me they were waiting for an approval from an engineer.

So I waited a couple more days still nothing until I spoke to a supervisor about it and truly angry by this point, he was able to fix it within that day. But again the agent that I spoke to same problem as the one before no ownership no empathy just plain rude. When I tried dialing out on long distance but it didn't work. Turns out someone had changed my long distance provider. Guess who? The agent that added my original phone number. So I called. Had a very nice lady on the phone tell me she had fixed the issue and that by 7 pm it would be fixed. This was noon. The next day I tried again and still had an issue so I called back and got another agent completely terrible at customer service. This happens way too often. Either train your people or at least monitor their calls because people need to feel valued as well as be treated with respect.

My phone service has died. No phone line, no internet, no Wifi. The repairman came out 2 weeks waiting, fixed problem, said mice chewed wires up in box in the field. Worked 2 days, have same problem, called them again. Waited days for them to arrive. He fixed the problem again, left his cell phone number on card, "if you have problem again, call it." Well I've called it 4 times they don't respond. I called customer service again. The man told me what day repair guy would be here. It's a no show. I call customer service again, "ok we're crediting your bill now for no service and will send a repairman out in the next 2 weeks."

My father had a stroke, was in intensive care for a month, now in a nursing home and my mother can't get thru to me on my house phone. I don't think we as consumers should be locked into one phone company service in our area. It's very apparent to me Windstream does not care about their customers and why does it take so freaking long to get service fixed?

I put in an order to move the line to a new address weeks in advance of our move. On the day of the move a 'customer service' rep called to tell me they had screwed up my move order and the order would now be delayed 12 days. Yes, Windstream screwed up but we were going to pay. When I explained my wife was a physician and the landline was the way the hospital was supposed to contact her if she was needed it fell on deaf ears. They simply didn't care. They didn't try to fix it other than say they'd put us at the back of the line but if a time slot became available then we might get it.

I called corporate HQ and was directed to an office whose purpose is to insulate upper management from customer complaints. That's right, Windstream has an office staffed with people who intercept calls, letters, e-mails or faxes so management will never see them. All complaints are sent to a black hole where they will never see the light of day again. It became apparent that Windstream simply does not care about customers. They were unwilling to direct the local office to have an installer work a few extra minutes so they could fulfill their promise to move our service when originally promised.

So here we are at a week and counting with no landline. Any customer loyalty we had is now gone. My goal now is to carefully coordinate a move away from Windstream to our wireless carrier in such a way that my wife's communication line to the hospital isn't compromised. All I wanted was for someone at Windstream to stand up and make a serious effort to honor a commitment they made to us. They failed.

I was surfing and a web page popped up with a questionnaire from Windstream. I hate that crap. I immediately went to their support page and selected the email option. After completing the form, an error message appeared saying "oops, that page is broken". If they do it again I'm leaving Windstream. I hate that crap. Their service is going downhill. You can't contact them. Then they interrupt you with their marketing crap. Whatever happened to just good service. You don't have to survey your customer base if you give good service.

Windstream called during my lunch trying to sell me their services. I said no several times. They offered 80 per month and I said no because Wi-Five Services were only 49.99 per month. The gentleman offered to match Wi-Five price so I agreed. My first bill was $84. I called and the lady said she would play back the recording and call me back. I never heard back from her so I continued to call and they kept arguing with me saying they could not go that low and would never play back the recording. I told them I was not paying that and not to bill me again. They are trying to collect $222 for what they say was 2 months of service. I told them I did not agree to the $84 per month and they should cancel service and if they did not cancel service it was not my problem. I will not pay this. I will pay the $50 only. They are wrong and know it or they would have played back the recording.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

I tell you what I don't like them at all right now! My internet signal keeps dropping so I call them up for the last 2 months and they tell me today it is because of a usage issue. I have been having the same usage issue for the last month then. It only goes through a copper wire they say, but that doesn't stop them from charging me $95.00 a month for 1 meg internet and for the home phone. I have to have the internet for the business that I am running, and still yet these companies like Windstream charge an arm and a leg. I live out in the country, but why does that give them the right to charge 35.00 extra on my household when I can't even get on the Internet half the time and it cost 30 for people that are closer to Windstream. I get on the internet to do just a couple of things and it may take 1 to 2 hours that should have taken no more than 20 mins at most.

I think that with the level of service and product that they are providing it should be about 10 dollars for internet. It is not my fault that Windstream doesn't want to do anything to change the lines to make it cheaper for people out here. I remember 5 years ago I had the 1 meg through them and it was nothing like the problem today. Then they had 3 megs which I stopped using 2 years ago at the same address I am now. I could watch Netflix and did have some problems every once in a while, but not as much as some people were having with them.

I got back on 3 months ago and they say to me we only have 1 meg. Even though for years I called in asking to change to a higher speed and they would say "They are always upgrading the lines. There should be faster speeds available in the future in your area." To make it sound like, hey that is great, I will check back in a few months maybe it will be faster speed, but no they downgraded the whole system.

Then I called up Dish network thinking that I would be able to get satellite Internet through them. They partnered with Windstream. The lady on the phone said I would have to go with Windstream. I told her I already have Windstream and she said in my area I would have be on Windstream they don't provide satellite internet in my area. Then she says "well why would you want to be on Dish if you are all ready got 50 meg internet service." I told her I did not have 50 meg, I have 1 meg service that keeps dropping all the time. She said that she is looking at it right here on her computer that in my area there is 50 megs. I ended up telling her of all the Windstream has said to me over the past 3 months and she still couldn't get off, "well you need to call them."

Well I have called and called and they keep saying the same thing. "Your house is too far out and it is being feed through a copper wire." You don't know how many times I have heard that, but like I said 2 years ago they had 3 meg which they was feeding through a copper wire as well, because I remember them telling me the same story then too. The real problem is with the area I am in I don't have any internet providers in my area other than Windstream. So I have no choice to pay 95 a month.

The other thing is the price for life internet bundle that I was suppose to be paying is 54.99. Which this is not the truth, because they are giving me that price but what they are really doing is adding fee after fee on my bill. The problem is that when you sign up for phone service you don't know what they charge for fees, taxes, and other costs that are associated with it. The problem is that Windstream is saying to people that the bill is not going to be that much higher. When I signed up the sales rep I talked to said it would be no more than 65.00 a month. Which was a lie. 2nd bill 81.09 then 3rd bill 92.99 and I haven't seen one bill that was 65.00 since I started my services back in February. So is Windstream taking advantage of people, yes they are!

Called and wanted to install service. They said they would be here Oct 17 between 1130 am to 330 pm. They never showed and when I called they said it could be between 215 pm to 615 pm. Then I got a call saying between 1 and 5 pm. Still at 7 pm no tech or phone call. They called this morning and said I was first in line and now here I am at 6 pm Oct 18 and they still have not showed and said I would be first in the morning. I told them to you know what and cancelled my service. So I am two days in the hole at work thanks to Windstream.

I have had many issues with joint billing through Windstream and Dish. I talked to Jason from the Iowa office the last time I called and he was very hospitable and took care of my problems and so much more. Very appreciative for people like him who are so understanding. Will request speaking with him each time I have questions about Windstream. Thanks Jason!

Pros: The system was very reliable. Few outages. Cons: Very expensive, no integrity, continuously transferred from one department to another because no one will or can take care of a situation. There are many particular stories that could be given as an example but I will share only two. When we moved from one location to another I was without service for just under 5 months due to "a problem on their end". I did after numerous calls receive a partial refund. While without access to their service I went with another provider, at a much less rate. Being without service was not an acceptable reason to get out of their contract.

The second two years later when they DOUBLED my monthly rate and offered me the ability to leave their company. I did change to a different provider and have been trying for over 4 months to receive a refund for the final month of service. They did issue a credit on the account but have still failed to issue the check. The amount of time a business owner will spend on the phone with this company to get anything open, changed or resolved is frustrating and wasteful.

On July 21, 2016, I had service connected at my new home. I had the services connected due to leaving a home to where I was in a domestic violence issue. Before I moved in I made sure all my ducks were in a roll considering I work from home -- my electricity, water, internet, phone. On July 22, 2016, I moved in. Everything was working all weekend. I woke up Monday morning and no internet or phone service. I called Windstream 5 times that day and waiting for someone to pick up anywhere between 30 to 1 hour each time. Then I was told I had to get my ID and social security card notarize and fax to them.

So I went to the bank and had that done. Came home called and waited 45 mins to talk to someone. I was told that my services would be reconnected within 2 business days. The next morning I had to work. I was still in training and there's no excuse accepted to miss training. 100% attendance. I had no phone service. I called Windstream back and was told a ticket would be created and the issue would be resolved within 2 days. On July 28, 2016, I was fired due to the 100% attendance! Well in the morning at 10:30 August 22, 2016, I have an interview that requires me to have phone service I have no phone service.

I called Windstream this morning and I was told that my phone was disconnected. My bill was due on the 17th and services disconnected on the 19th, don't think so. This company is the worst ever. If I could get DSL in this area I would change in a heartbeat. I hope my phone is back on by 10:30 in the morning. The $151.00 bill is paid!! Still no service!!!

Call Windstream because my internet service with Cablevision was erratic and slow. Windstream promoted a bundled package with DISH. Agreed to package providing 25 Mbps and 200 channels. Asked Windstream to confirm they could provide this speed to my location. They confirmed they could deliver 50 Mbps and convinced to the ale that max speed. So we scheduled the install and I scheduled a day off work to be at home for the installer.

Installer for Windstream showed up and I requested he confirm the speed I had purchased. He checked and advised I would only get 3 Mbps at my location. I can't imagine anyone using the Internet with that speed. I told Windstream to cancel the order. Later that day DISH showed up as Windstream never advised them of the cancellation. I asked the customer support rep to connect me with her supervisor. She advised that her supervisor would not speak with me as she had nothing to say about my issue. I then asked for the supervisor's boss and was told there was no one higher in the organization. So I asked for the CEO's phone number or email address. Her response was they were not allowed to give out that information. I live in a small town where monopolies definitely control our environment (Windstream and Cablevision). We need help here. Some Third world countries can get better service than this.

Absolutely the worst customer service I have EVER encountered!! Super SLOW "high-speed DSL" and wait times on hold to complain average 20 minutes!! I’M LEAVING!!

I having problems. I called my husband on my house phone and he picked up said, “Hello.” Then a stupid recording came on saying "Welcome to Windstream Express Dial Tone. If you wish to order telephone service please hang up then pick up and dial 483." My hubby even heard the recording. He said, "What the heck!" I said, "You hear that too?" He said "Yes." So I hung up, he dialed our home number back and the number shows up on the phone, but the phone don't ring.

Called Windstream. They said don't know what going on. Also told them my internet was messing up too. Only works half the time! They said they will have a tech call me or someone come to my house by Thursday. They want their payment, but when we have a problem we have to wait. I told them. They was going to credit my bill some. He basically said, "No, you got to deal with it til we get it fixed!" **! I wish they was another phone company beside Windstream and Time Warner in Nicholasville!

Windstream increased my monthly rate almost 30%, so I found a cheaper rate AND faster internet for less than I was paying them originally. Cancelled my service with 9 days left in the cycle. Had it set on auto draft with a limit that didn't cover the new billing amount. So, now I find out that they don't prorate final bills and threatening to file a report against my account for less than $11 when I think I should be due a refund.

Windstream has been holding my phone number for ransom for over a month. Over 10 port requests were submitted and they continue to reject them. Yes they were correctly submitted. Windstream is continuing to bill me for the phone and internet. Although I requested my account closed on 6-30, they sent me a bill for July and refuse to credit my account or stop billing me until the number is ported over to TWC. Yet, they keep rejecting the requests for the port. So, I have spoken with Windstream in-depth, and they still refuse to be accountable and credit my account or release the number. Meanwhile, I am getting NOTHING from them and they are billing me for over $75.00! They only suggest that I have the Windstream company come out and fix my phone. In other words, they are holding my account for a ransom.

The Service never works in my area. The service is totally outdated. Windstream has to be one of the worst service in the world today. The customer service and technician is not fully trained on handling calls. They schedule work on days and don't come out when scheduled. Don't use Windstream for service. It will be best to use your Cellular service. Just add unlimited data.

To put it as bluntly as possible, Windstream is the worst product in all of creation. I have complained on their Twitter account and over the phone, but recent events have suggested that it's time to come here. I could go on for days about the scam that is Windstream. The slow speeds, false advertising, and unhelpful staff should be enough to deter anybody from buying this product, but so many people just keep on giving them money. I, however, am not here to dwell on unpleasantness from the past. Let's talk about recent events, shall we?

Just a while ago, I was playing an online game with a friend of mine. We were having fun, but at around 12:50 in the morning, I disconnected from the game. I was frustrated at first, but I thought I would simply go downstairs, unplug the router, and plug it back in. After all, that's basically become routine for me, considering my Internet's constantly wavering and unreliable speeds. However, this time, the problem was unresolved. I was incredibly frustrated.

After a few moments of sitting at my computer trying to remedy the issue, I got a text message from the person I was playing the game with, saying he disconnected at the exact same time as me. This let me know that the problem was on Windstream's end. I always figured it was. I know that I shouldn't be able to do an awful lot with our relatively small router, but I know when it's a problem on my end. For example, when a family member is doing work online, I know I can't play games. This is something I have come to peace with. However, when the internet stops working in the dead of night with literally one device on it, I know it's a problem for Windstream.

Windstream, I don't know what you have going on down at HQ, but you need to fix it like you said you would in 2013. **. But in all honesty, I do believe it is a criminal offense to not give someone something that you advertise and they pay for. We've been loyal customers for 10 years, and it'd be a real shame if we had to seek another internet provider.

This is by far the worse experience I have ever had with phone and internet. The both will go down but very seldom at the same time. Their internet is so slow it's difficult to get some things done. I don't understand how they have a monopoly in my area and can continue to be the worse supplier. The Federal Government continues to want to tell me what to eat, how to spend my money and many other things but allow this type of service to continue. The FCC regulates this stuff but they haven't done anything to get us reliable phone and internet. In my area it is not just a convenience, it's a necessity because we can't even get cell service. I wish I could drop them but we have no other choice.

I have NEVER until now, come across a company where you have to wait and wait and wait to speak to a customer service rep. The wait time is never less than 10 minutes no matter what time of day you call. But one thing for sure the bill keeps going UP.

This is the worst telephone and Internet service. No phone service since 6/12. Today is 6/28. Tech was to be here by 12:45 and it is 3 pm. I have missed a day with my grandkids waiting. No reason for outage, weather, etc. This happens almost weekly. Internet service is slow and also down for days. I thought all companies were under deregulation but NO. This is only company that can offer us service!!! If you can avoid do not get this service. I have also made a formal complaint with the FCC.

I have been paying for 3 mb and never received anything near 2 mb. My biggest problem was when someone in the house used our streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime) no one else could use the internet at all. I responded to a mailing suggesting that I could get up to 5 mb or more. I called them and was told because of distance I could not get the increased speed. Ok, not a problem. They also offered to look at my connection since it was running slowly. Great. A service tech was able to boost me to about 1.8 mb. Happy customer! But not end of story. A couple weeks later my speeds were back to 1.4 or so. Shortly thereafter speeds slowed. I called to see if it could be fixed again. Slowed more. Another call. Still slower yet. Finally stops totally. Get it back eventually and now it's down again.

The source of my trouble is the internet connection and their inability to fix it. Secondly, I receive no more than half of what service I pay for when it does work. But the complaint I have is how I'm shifted from person to person and no one helps. They listen, say they're sorry, and then transfer to start all over again. I've emailed the company and received a reply 3-4 weeks later. As of last week the internet was running slowly but running. I am able to get my email through my phone. I received a reply to an email (week or weeks old) and got the same old apologies, etc. Then it said she took down my connection and rebuilt it but it still is slow. When I returned home I discovered it is not just slow but doesn't work. Back on the phone and hold for a tech. He couldn't get it going and said he'd put in for a tech to come out. I explained it had been weeks. He put in for an "accelerated" ticket.

I received an email 2 days later saying someone would be out in 9 days! I attempted to contact Windstream today by email. My access was denied with an error code and a number to call. I called the number and was put on hold for 25 minutes. Received a tech who started with the same old questions. I asked to speak to a supervisor. More time on hold. Supervisor starts with the same questions.

I explain that I've been dealing with this for weeks and another 9 days before I can get someone to fix my connection is not ok. He says he needs to send me to another department. Another 1/2 hour on hold and I realize I've reached a tech who is starting all over at the beginning yet again. He was not able to fix my email access. He could not help with the internet connection. My only option is to wait 9 days. I asked if there was a complaint department or someone who can make a decision to fix this after weeks of unresponsiveness. He had no idea. I told him to find another company. Summing up I can only say that the internet service by Windstream is poor. The technical support is really poor. The customer service is a nightmare. I cannot rate this company low enough. This is the most frustrating experience I have ever had with any company. They make the DMV look like the welcome wagon.

Having lost our internet through our previous provider, I was forced to rely on the phone book to set up new services, I picked one of the dozens of phone numbers for a Dish/Windstream broker and signed up for what I was told was a promotion. The Dish price is what I was quoted but I was told there was also a Windstream promotion for $79.99 High Speed Internet (100 GB speed 400 GB/month DL before throttling) Local, and Long distance calls. I asked about taxes and equipment rental and was told that was all factored into the price of the promotion and the only taxes was less than $10 added onto the Dish side. I asked several times to make sure as I had had Windstream in the past and there was always $20-30 in taxes and fees.

Getting my first bill of $261.66 (for Windstream only mind you as they didn't bundle with Dish as I was told when signing up) I was beyond shocked and PO'd. Calling them up I was told there was a $49.99 installation fee (which was not disclosed via the sales rep). I was told at the time of sign-up that there would be and I paid a $49.99 installation fee for the Dish services and that the Windstream modem would be mailed to me from CA usu. by FedEx. Several days later I called asking about it and was told that in fact someone would be coming by that week to install the modem.

The Windstream CS reps were very forgiving and helpful, Dish was not so; Windstream apologized for the sales rep either outright lying to me or not knowing pricing and services. I was credited the $49.99 from Windstream for the installation fee and another $20/month CR to cover most of the taxes that I was originally told was included into the $79.99/month inclusive pricing. Even with the $20/month credit I'm paying $102.33/month for Windstream. The credit only extends for the first year so eventually I'll be paying $42.34/month more than I was guaranteed.

Beware. They lure you in with promotions offering lower pricing than your current rates and in the end you end up paying much more. I was at ~ $145-155/month for Internet, Phone, and Cable and now I'll be looking at $168.64/month and after 1 year that will go to $188.64. A few other discrepancies: The Local, Long-Distance, and Internet is not a bundle. The CS rep says I can cancel Long distance at any time. I was also told "we do not have FiOS in the area so we can't have 100 GB DL speed and there is no throttling or data cap." No fiber optics in our area but still paying $10.00/month for 'Enhanced Speed'.

For the past 5 years I have contacted Windstream Customer service (at least 60 times) trying to get them to fix my internet service. I have no complaint with the CSR's being courteous and as helpful as they can. I also have no complaint with the technicians that come out and try to resolve my internet problem. They have given me a new modem and tested my line but as of this day they cannot tell me why or fix my internet which drops every 60-120 seconds. This has been an ongoing problem since I signed up with Windstream in 2011.

It is aggravating as heck when you're playing an online game and the internet continually drops your game. Whenever I'm watching Netflix, the internet drops repeatedly and interrupts every movie I watch. I will be moving soon and I hope I NEVER HAVE TO RELY ON WINDSTREAM EVER AGAIN!!! Good-bye Windstream and I hope some other carrier comes in and steals all your business. I am a very dissatisfied customer.

Television - Last Saturday, we had a power outage. When the power came back on, our DVR box would not come back on. It was midday. So, we thought we would call the main office (which is <1 mile from our house)! After arguing with a very rude, non caring female for over an hour, and then, after a 20 minute hold, talking to her supervisor, they said they would have our television box here by this Friday! 6 days without a box when they are not even five minutes away!!!

Then, today, there was a Windstream van with two guys working on wiring two houses up. I stop and ask them if they have a DVR box on their truck. To which they replied, "no, we are primarily phone." They are in a phone, Internet, and cable van, but don't have any equipment. I wanted to go up to the house, and tell them that they need to cancel their install! High speed Internet won't run two cellphones; let alone a computer. If you are using Redbox or Netflix, forget it! Then, the dear old phone service. Most of the time, it won't even allow you to call out. And, our number is supposed to not be listed, but we get A LOT of telemarketing. Wonder why or how.

Being a small business owner, I never write bad reviews on companies and try to solve my problems directly but in this case, I feel very strongly about the way we were treated. We had a very bad experience with Windstream Communications. Customer service was inexistent and after over 2 years of suffering we decided to change phone service provider. And this is where the story begins. We initiated the disconnection process on October 1st, 2015 and went through numerous hoops and phone calls to finally receive a disconnection notice on December 22nd.

In January, we were still receiving invoices but their customer service department told us to ignore them as they were going through their disconnection procedures on their side. In May 2016, I receive an email from a collection firm for $1200. Apparently, we still had contractual agreements with Windstream, of which no one informed us during the disconnection process. There are so many other companies out there who offer a better service and don't lock you in for several years.

Windstream Communications, Inc, my former long distance carrier, billed me for landline phone services for months after my phone service had been cancelled. After cancelling my regular landline phone service with my main provider in October 2015, I contacted Windstream, as a courtesy and that I no longer required their services because I preferred cellular phone service with another company. Despite my call and the fact that I no longer even had a landline phone, I received a new bill from Windstream in November 2015, another in December thru February 2016.

When I contacted them asking why I was being billed for a dead line, they claimed to have lost my records. When I did not pay, I received redundant notices threatening to shut off my phone service for a non-existent phone and demands for payment of reconnect fees which I would never want to occur. I have been threatened with legal action and my credit threatened. I am currently being harassed by their collection agency for money I do not owe. Prior to this, my account had never been delinquent and always paid up. People need to be aware! This company may bill you indefinitely for phone services and then say they did not know you no longer had a phone. The excuse may be that they lost your phone records!

These people will try to sell you a managed phone system for businesses then charge you anytime you call in. NOT A MANAGED PHONE SERVICE! About once a week our system will need to be restarted because callers will be unable to hear the person in the office. Account "managers" have a huge turnover rate at this company so you can never talk to the same person twice. If you need to get a phone system, go with a company that actually manages the system so that you can do your job instead of spending hours on the phone with these people just so that they can bill you an exorbitant amount for wasting your time.

We have an unlisted phone number. Windstream gave us the number of a company that went out of business less than a year after we were given the number. This company has a webpage on the internet, is listed through Angie's list as well as several other online lists. In addition, our phone number was published in print and on the internet under my name for the first year we had it. On a daily basis we receive 4 or 5 harassing calls from 1 800 service and several others. We think it is time that Windstream and other phone service provider take a proactive approach to stopping these calls. Windstream's answer is to give us a new phone number with no guarantee that the calls will stop. Since Windstream is our only option for phone and internet service, we have no other option. We need help.

I have been attempting to work with Windstream customer service and technical support for the past four (4) straight days. Each time I call them for status on my "existing" Trouble Ticket, I am provided with an "estimated wait time which usually says 5 or 7 minutes. In reality, and I have my cellphone call log to prove it, the actual wait time before a customer service rep takes my call is approximately 25 minutes. Over the past four (4) days alone, I have called Windstream now eleven (11) separate times in an attempt to obtain status. That means that I have waited in queue for a total of about 260 minutes. It gets worse. When a customer service representative finally takes the call from the queue, even though it is an existing Trouble Ticket, that customer service representative takes a "quick glance" at the Trouble Report. They either cannot or do not take the time or initiative to review the detailed information within the Trouble Ticket.

Instead, once again, they attempt to try reaching the service technician to whom the ticket has been assigned. If the customer service representative cannot reach that service technician in two (2) minutes, the caller (that would be me) is put back in queue with another automated attendant announcement which repeats the same recording, "Thank you for calling Windstream's Enterprise Repair Center. Our service technicians are assisting other customers. Please hold for the next available service technician." This goes on and on until the caller (that would be me again) either gets tired of waiting, can't hold any longer due to other pressing business related matters, or the cellphone battery dies. Windstream obviously DOES NOT VALUE THEIR CUSTOMERS' TIME OR BUSINESS. Windstream is giving a terrible name to the telecommunications industry and MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE TO THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Consumer Affairs needs to step up here and provide Windstream an ultimatum to VASTLY IMPROVE their service and their processes. If they fail to do so in a very short period of time, they should be heavily investigated by the Federal Communications Commission, heavily fined, confronted by the Better Business Bureau. The heavy fines levied should, no, must be used to compensate Windstream's customers for their customers' most important asset which is "LOST TIME" which the customers can never get back, as well as lost productivity, lost business opportunities and mental and physical implications due to sheer frustration. I have never felt so strongly about this type issue. By the way, each time I get to speak to a customer service representative, I am told that they cannot reach the service technician, but they will send an instant message to the service technician, and will have the technician call me back.

Also, it appears that all the customer service representatives have the power to do is to apologize. They all seem to be extremely used to having to say "I'm sorry" to a customer on just about every call. How can Consumer Affairs get involved and assist customers like myself with this so called telecommunications company known as "Windstream"? Please note that as I write this review I have now been in queue for just under two (2) full hours. I will now hang up and try calling Windstream again in the morning to start my day with what will certainly be a LARGE CUP OF FRUSTRATION courtesy of Windstream. Please advise. Thank you.

Google fiber was digging in our area and cut an AT&T T-1 line. Windstream purchases/rents a T-1 from AT&T to provide my business VOIP service. Our medical business phone service was out for 2 days. The customer service provided by Windstream was very unprofessional and unhelpful. Did not want to go the extra mile to help in dealing with AT&T and did not understand the situation in dealing with a medical practice. Windstream is not willing to provide any monetary compensation for this lack of service and customer service. Will definitely not be in business with them once our contract expires.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.
  • Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.
  • Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.
  • Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.
  • Best for Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service