1.28/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

425 Windstream Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 15, 2018

I have had Windstream for a year and a half. Today 7/15/18 I tested my download speed at .14. The upload speed wouldn’t even start. This happens far more than it should. I pay $95 a month for service that hardly ever reaches 10MB which is pathetic, and expensive. I called the tech support and it was just a call center with a guy that said he would “open a ticket.” Whoopty Doo... there is a reason this company has a stellar 1 star rating. If I could get any other ISP I would. If I stop working from home I’m going to Satellite. It can’t be worse than this.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Eric. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your frustration about your internet speed and service. I like the opportunity to assist with troubleshooting your service. I have requested additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 11, 2018

Firstly, I have used Windstream for over 10 years (what a mistake). Windstream's internet is slow compared to most other service providers. As such, I am now using another internet provider. However, before my contract ended with Windstream, I informed them on numerous occasions via phone and email of my intent to never use its services again after the expiration of my contract, and that I would be changing service providers. I spoke to multiple reps from Windstream, and with each conversation, I instructed them to write a note in my file that I did not wish to use its services after my contract ended. After my contract ended and I started using my new service provider, I received phone calls from various Windstream reps telling me I had an outstanding bill.

Turns out Windstream continued to bill me after my contract ended. I asked why when I had expressed my intent to never use its services ever again on numerous occasions via email and phone, and Windstream's response was I never submitted a disconnect form. I told them I did not know this and I was never told during any of my conversations about having to do this disconnect form. Despite my repeated attempts via email and by phone, Windstream is maintaining that I never informed them "in writing" that I didn't want to continue using its services.

Windstream knew at least 5 months prior to the end of my contract that I did not want to continue using them, and, despite this knowledge, it continued to bill me. Windstream will withhold information and not properly document its files so as to maintain an argument it didn't have notice. MAKE SURE YOU DOCUMENT EVERYTHING: names, times, etc. I would have recorded these conversations if I knew Windstream would use got-ya tactics to extort me for services it didn't even provide. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Domenic. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We hate to lose any customer but I apologize that this process has been so hard. Please allow me to assist with resolution for this issue. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 10, 2018

I have been a loyal Windstream customer for several years. We moved to another provider this year to gain internet speed. We ported over our phone service in January and have continued to be billed for voice service for the last 7 months, even though we requested back up internet only. The justifications and stories have varied greatly between reps and supervisors but all in defense of not crediting my account. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH WINDSTREAM!!! What they do when you decide to leave is tantamount to robbery. They do not care about providing service... Only collecting a fee. They also require a contract that prohibits a lawsuit or class action. BEWARE!!! These people provide poor customer service and high prices.

Updated on 07/12/2018: I can't let this lie. Please look at every response to every negative post on Windstream. The same robo-message from a LaToya who states interest in helping and then says she is requesting more information. What a joke! And then, a statement at the top "resolution in progress". If Windstream hadn't carefully placed language in their contracts demanding arbitration and taking away the possibility of a class action suit, this company would be in court non-stop. Just read all the reviews... Same story over and over.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Walter. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have gone with another provider for some services. However, I apologize for the issues that you have encountered with Windstream for your remaining services with us. Please allow me to assist. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 9, 2018

Terrible service, lie to you on phone refuse to fix useless internet service then raise your bill and tell you they can't even find your account 90% of time. I have to use phone data plan to access internet not even worth the 1 star rating, Spectrum is horrible but will have to go back to them.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Tom. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience. Please allow us to make this right and improve your service. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 6, 2018

I am very disappointed to see that my bill has gone up 8 dollars this month. There are new fees in my bill that I have never gotten before and on top of that I was charged a late fee when I have never been late on a payment! My payments were made before the due date. Is the new thing to charge and punish people for making on time payments?

Windstream response

Good Morning, Leah. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I would be frustrated with an unexpected increase in my billing as well. I would like to make this right. I have requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been on the phone with Windstream representatives for over 5 hours in the past 24 hours! The "issue" was caused by my request to cancel my home phone and retain my internet service... a simple request, right? Apparently not. I have been without service for a total on 6 hours and now have slow service. I have talked with 15 (no exaggeration) representatives, been on hold for over 4 hours, transferred and dropped 3 times, been asked to verify my account #, address, email, contact info, etc. 15 plus times, been promised resolution of my issue 4 separate times (none completed), been given 5-6 different explanations of what went wrong, multiple departments pointing fingers at other departments, dozens of "I am sorry", "I understand how you feel" and "I appreciate your patience" but not a single satisfactory result.

Was directed to Customer Care to vent my experience and explain the frustration of being cold transferred multiple times (requiring recapping the whole ordeal again and again) only to be transferred yet again. I requested a "warm" transfer and to speak with a supervisor on two separate occasions. Spoke to sups who apologized and promised resolution but did not deliver. Asked for contact info (refused to provide but promised to call me back if disconnected). Was disconnected both times and did NOT receive a callback! That is just common courtesy, unbelievable. Forgot to mention, these folks closed my current account and opened a new one but didn't provide me with the account number... so when I called this morning to report an issue I was kicked out of their voice response system, nice!

Another "feature" of their phone system is that you get kicked back to the bottom of the line in the general queue if left on hold for an extended time. This has happened multiple times to me which requires starting from scratch with a new representative. I have been on hold for 2 plus hours today trying to reach the 'Retention' department... you can't make this stuff up. The unfortunate thing is I have been a customer for over 30 years (internet for nearly 20) and have been very satisfied with their products but this experience is causing me to look elsewhere for an internet provider.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Rick. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience. I am glad that your issues with your service were ultimately addressed and resolved. However, I am still available for any issues that you may have.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 28, 2018

We had a contract for my business with Windstream since 2014. In the back office of our account, their customer support person told me that as long as the auto-renew was not checked that we were fine. We needed to move our service to another carrier because the Windstream was too slow for our new security system and spa software.

In March 2018, I called to cancel and received the terminations agreement which is attached. On page 2, you can see that we were on month to month and the final bill could be expected on 4/26/2018. When I received the bill it was for $2,113 and I immediately called the company and billing. The bill was for 1 year of service since I was cancelling... But that was not what I have on my paperwork or in my back office. The lady on the phone in April told me that we were on month to month because auto-renew box was not checked and we should be fine because of the termination notice attached which showed month-to-month.

The Termination agreement on page 2 "(#1) states Your current Windstream Service Agreement expire on N/A and is currently on a month-to month terms." Shows that our account was month to month and that our services terminated when we moved. Our contract ended in December, we did not have the Auto-Renew box checked.

I appealed the invoice and was immediately replied with NO and in addition was told that there was no auto-renew box. I asked for them to look at the termination agreement attached and she said basically that her decision stood. They are trying to charge me for 1 year of services... saying that the auto renew was part of the contract and that I should have known better. It would be one thing if I had broken the contract but I stayed for the full 3 years. Please help me... because dealing with Windstream is like talking to a wall.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Nancy. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that you having issues with your final billing with Windstream. Thank you for allowing me to work to correct your final bill. Hopefully, this has improved your experience. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2018

If I could rate Windstream as a ZERO I would definitely do that. We have had Windstream phone service for over 40 years and had internet for almost 15 of those years. Service was so very, very bad that we switched the internet several years ago, but the phones have been a major issue for the last few years. We've had multiple service techs and it wasn't till the last one that he climbed the pole and found the squirrels had chewed the line. Finally fed up we signed up with Sprint and requested that the number be ported. It has been 4 weeks and many, many phone calls with Sprint and many contacts by Sprint. One service rep would not believe me when I told her that the phone equipment was at our address. Really? I just filed an FCC Complaint and hope that this results in something moving our number. I read about the lady who tried for 5 months to port her number.... WOW, I sure hope I don't have to wait another 4 months.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Breeders. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. Thank you for being a customer for over 40 years. While I regret to hear that you are moving to another provider, it shouldn't be a difficult process. Hopefully, we have a chance to maybe retain your services. I have the requested additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I'm back again to give a new review with some fresh information about Windstream and its customer service, and semi-useless technicians. So to start off with, I had given a 1 star review prior to this one, and was contacted by LaToya, whom reaches out to the customers that have issues with their service and come here to write reviews. LaToya contacted me and we had a few phone calls that spanned a couple of days, she was able to get a technician out to me within two days of our first phone call. The tech I had was awesome, he was a young guy who really took his time to work the issues that I was experiencing. He spent almost 3 hours going into the home box and checking all connections and even updating things that no other tech had ever in looked at, I was seriously blown away by how well he worked that I was certain my issue would be solved. He hooked up a new T3200 modem before he left, and set it all up for us.

Flash forward maybe 1 week, LaToya calls to see how things are going, and I let her know that things were good, I wasn't having the issue again. She let me know that I could call her anytime I was in need of things or had a questions, which was great because with Windstream I have never had good service until this point with her.

But here comes the good part about Windstream that really drives home how they operate in terms of customer service. A week goes by and now the summer rains are coming every day where I live, which always, and I mean ALWAYS, makes my internet go out. This is the issue I was having when I wrote my last review, so what did I do? I called LaToya, and she picked and we talked about what was going on, and she linked me with a tech over the phone who ran some test and let me know what he was seeing on their side of things. The service comes back up amidst a downpour outside, I let them know that it's up and the call is concluded. As soon as the call ends, my internet goes right back out, so I call LaToya again and tell her. She looks at my connection, which starts working as soon as she did, and tells me that they would be sending out another tech to come look at the issue.

Well, when the tech was scheduled I had a pet emergency come up, but they had my number to contact me which he did. When he called he told me that he ran test from the box up the road and that our internet tested out fine. So he said he was 100% sure it was the modem and that he would leave me a new to install. As soon as the call ended I knew I was right back where I started, replacing my modems monthly because that was the only issue they ever find.

So I called LaToya June 1st to let her know that the internet was acting up again, but this time she didn't answer me, so left a message at 4 p.m and told her I hoped to hear from her the next day to discuss my internet issues. Well she never called me back, which I passed off as fine because I didn't have any issues with it until June 6th. I called her once more and she didn't answer, so I left another message to be contacted back about the issue.

Here I am today June 16th, I have not received a call from her, nor an email. I have had a terrible week of issues between super low speeds to just random drops. I decided that I would swap modems finally that was left when I had the pet emergency mentioned before. So I hooked it up, and turned on my PC to set up the modem like I have done a million times before, except it didn't work...at all. So what did I do? I called every number on the back of that help card and not a single one worked from my phone. So I used my work phone and I called and got someone instantly, now I'm not saying they are screening my calls, but it sure feels like it at this point.

So the person I spoke with on the phone was very hard to hear, he mumbled constantly after I told him I could not hear him, like I said, their customer service is a joke. So he transferred me to another person who was just as hard to understand. I tell this man my issue, that the new modem is not working for me at all and that I would like for him to assist me in the setup. He gives me the old "Let me take a look" talk that I've heard more than I can count. So he comes back and tells me he can't fix it, that he will put in a ticket to have a tech come out, and tells me to expect a call between 8 am and 7 pm on Monday the 18th of June.

I get off the phone with him, hook up my old modem, and then began to type this new review because I cannot edit my last one that was originally a 1 star, which I marked at resolved and gave them a few more stars for how fast my issue was taken care of and being happy that I would finally be able to use my internet again. Boy was I wrong. As I have typed this I received 2 automated calls from Windstream saying that my order tickets have been worked and closed. So if no one calls me come Monday I will be canceling the subscription that we have had for 23 years with Windstream and find someone better.

So to summarize this for those of you looking to see what Windstream has to offer it is this; A bunch of headaches, constant phone calls, internet that doesn't work half the time, and really terrible customer service. But you will get to know how to work their modems better than some of their techs so that is one plus I have found. Good luck to you in your adventures with Windstream if you choose to get their service!

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Matt. It has been a pleasure working with you to assist with resolving the issues you have been experiencing with you internet. I will continue to work with you until we get full resolution of this issue. We have spoken on yesterday 06/18/2018 and have put in place a plan to continue to work through your internet issues. Please feel free to contact me via private message with any further questions or concerns.

Original review: June 16, 2018

Ordered internet service for my home. Windstream called the day of installation (my husband took the day off work to be home for it due to them giving us a window of 8am-7pm. They call the afternoon of installation and said that our address shows service already. They had the wrong address even though my order email had the correct address. After multiple calls they rescheduled our install for the next day (Saturday). Told them we wouldn’t be available most of the day so they said they would try to do it first thing in the morning. Got a call and the technician said he was on his way. All good. He calls back half an hour later only to say that we wouldn’t even be able to get the service we ordered, that we were too far away from the box. Called and canceled. The worst customer service ever! I would never recommend Windstream!

Windstream response

Good Morning, Elizabeth. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for WIndstream. I regret that we were unable to make the installation process go smoothly for you. I hope that we have the opportunity to still be your telecommunications provider. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: June 7, 2018

I wanted to bring to your attention my experience while trying to establish a new account with Windstream. I called to establish new activation on Friday, May 18th. I spoke with a woman named Amani. While trying establish a new account it was discovered that the service of the previous owners account was never deactivated. I worked with Amani and the previous property owner called Amani on Monday, May 21st and everything was taken care of, which allowed me to establish my services. Amani confirmed that I was scheduled for internet/phone installation on Friday, May 25th between the hours of 3-5 pm. It is important to note that this service is not being established at my primary residence, this a vacation property which is 4 hours from my primary residence.

Based on the confirmation I received from Amani, I used vacation time from work and took my son out of school to ensure that I was onsite for my 3-5 appointment. Around 1:00 I thought it was odd that I had not receive any type of confirmation regarding the installation, so I called Windstream and spoke to a representative named Phaedra. Eventually, I was transferred to a supervisor by the name of China. China informed me that my appointment had never been scheduled for Friday, May 25th but rather it was scheduled to Friday, June 1st. I informed China that June 1st was never a requested date as I would not to be at the property on that date. China called a scheduler and requested that I be put on the schedule for Friday, May 25th but she was informed that the request was denied.

As a last ditch effort I asked if I could be put on the schedule for Tuesday, May 29th as I would still be at the property. China informed me that she would need to speak to a specific scheduler and that she would call me back. I told China that I would not have cell phone service but would appreciate it if she would leave me a message so that I could plan accordingly. Needless to say, I never received a call back from anyone at Windstream. The next time I heard from anyone was on Friday, June 1st confirming my installation appointment. I of course had to cancel the appointment as I was not onsite. I have never experienced such horrible all around customer service, especially when trying to establish new service. This has been a completely unacceptable experience.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Shannon. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had this experience when attempting to get service installed. I want to make sure that we address those issues and hopefully, we still have the opportunity. I have asked for additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: June 6, 2018

I’ve had Windstream since 2017 due to limited internet options. I signed up on a promotion initially which included no phone. I even told the rep I didn’t need phone because I use my cell phone 100% and a landline was still added and I was charged for the entire 12 month contract. I tried to cancel the phone service and was told I would have to buy out the contract. Once the contract was over, I was able to take off the phone. I moved and called to transfer service and was without internet for over 2 weeks and was informed to call one week in advance to avoid an interruption in service even though I told customer service I use the internet for work and could not go that long without service. Due to a death in the family I moved in with my mother and this time I called a week in advance (May 23rd) to transfer service.

I called DirecTV first and they suggested I bundle both TV and internet because I would save $40 per month. I took it. I called to cancel my current plan with Windstream and the rep NEVER cancelled. I had an installation date of June 4th which I was not happy about but I dealt with it. I was called the standard 48 hrs before to let me know the tech would be out between 8am-7pm which meant I had to take a day off work. June 4th came and no tech. I called customer service and my install date was CANCELLED and no one ever bothered to call and let me know. I was told she would give me a call back so she could get in touch with a “local agent” so hopefully they could send someone out the next day. She never called me back.

I called back AGAIN and apparently the last rep I talked to set a new install date of June 16th which was out of the question because there is no way I could be without internet for that long because of my job. I talked with a supervisor who did absolutely NOTHING to resolve the issue and kept repeating the same rehearsed apology (sounded like she was reading). She said if I need internet for work I should have signed up for a business account but how can I sign up for something I never knew existed?!?! Every rep I talked to I told I needed it for work. She said she would sign me up for a business account and that would get the install date “pushed up sooner”. I called back the next day to make sure June 16th was still set and found out the entire order had been CANCELLED again!!!

I had to re-set up everything and now my install date is June 20th!!! I originally called on May 23rd to avoid interruption in service and now I will have no internet for MY JOB who PAYS the bill every month for almost a complete month. By far the worst customer service experience I’ve ever encountered. If you have other options for internet go with another provider because the only thing customer service does is LIE, CANCEL, and then read from the script provided.

Windstream response

Good Morning, Brittany. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I regret that you have had issues with moving your service and hope that you provide me the opportunity to help. I have asked for additional information via private message. Can you please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: June 1, 2018

I became a Windstream Customer about 7 or 8 years ago and have phone and internet through them. My internet speed I originally paid for was 1.5 mbps and I never achieved that speed. After quite a few calls with them I decided to pay for the 3 mbps service which they said was the fastest speed they had for my town (very rural very small town) in hopes I could get enough speed to stream Youtube or Netflix. Internet continued to be spotty going from speeds as low as .09mbps to 1.9 mbps. Again I called and called with them resetting my router, getting me new modem, which I now have to pay 9.99 a month to rent, and being told that we are in a latency outage. Been in that outage 4 years now, speed improved a bit with new modem so that I now average .8 to 1.2 mbps but it still isn't fast enough to stream Netflix.

They say it's because we are on the old copper wire phone lines even though 1 of their techs said it's because they have too many houses on the main DSLAM for the town. When I called in today to find out if there were any plans to upgrade our legacy service, as I heard they were touting the huge amount of money they were using to do just that, I found out that Windstream has no longer decided to service our area for internet and that only reason I still have it is that I have been grandfathered in. I never received notice about this until I called. Only plus side is that their customer service people are friendly. Long story summation... slow internet, not even half the speed I pay for and inconsistent, and rather than upgrade my area they throw in the towel knowing that our only other option for internet is cell Wi-Fi or satellite. Bravo.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Ryan. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I understand your frustration about your internet performance over the years. I hope that you allow us the opportunity to explore any options to improve. I have requested additional information via private message. Please respond at your earliest convenience.

LaToya

Original review: May 19, 2018

Have had our internet speed forcefully turned down from the 6 Mbps we started with, down to 1.2 Mbps, that they can't even supply from how heavily they have overloaded the lines, and refuse to upgrade the area, when they were promising an upgrade for broadband internet properly out this way for several years, had problems for - over a year - of speed diminishing from the 6 Mbps speed we were paying on our contract, down to sometimes non-existent speeds, until the manager told us "You never should of gotten that speed, you never - could - of gotten that speed, you never - would - of gotten that speed, You're imagining things." And basically told us to shove off or get a different provider, when they are the - only - landline provider in the area, unless you try to do Cell, where we live is a dead zone, or Satellite, this area is insanely expensive for next to no 'allocation' of internet you can use.

I have had my grandfathers health get 'in risk' because of the fact the internet is so unreliable, that the hospital that gave him a home heart monitor - got scared - from how rarely they could get in touch with it, and how unreliable it was, they sent us a 'cell booster' special plugged in thing just so it could get a 'slight' and far more stable cell signal so they could keep up with his health.

Windstream has shown to be unreliable, to lie about the internet being "Working fine" when they have overloaded the lines to the point that we have on multiple occasions gotten speeds - slower - then a 56k modem, and sometimes less than 11Kbps, including times where it just doesn't work from it being unable to get 3Kbps. And yet they keep claiming 'there is nothing wrong' they keep checking the lines, "Nothing is wrong with the lines, everything should be working fine." There is one thing wrong with them, you have put - so many people - on the same internet access line, that you can't support them, even with your 'forceful' restricting of everyone to 1.2 Mbps, you still can't support that most of the time. Windstream, AVOID THEM like the plague unless they are your absolute last option.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Ryusho. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your internet performance has not been what you need. We have been making improvements to our network and though we do not have an upgrade that benefits you currently. Please check back periodically to see if any of these improvements would benefit you in the future.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Porting of phone number - Windstream gave inaccurate information on their CSR and porting completion took 5 months to complete. Termination of services was requested on November 28, 2017. March 7, 2018 after porting was finalized, another cancellation request was made. March 16, 2018 Status on cancellation was requested and was advised it would take 30 days to complete. I was reassured cancellation would go back to November 28, 2017 considering the problems with CSR, porting was due to Windstream's erroneous information. April 9, 2018 Called Windstream and opened up a billing dispute to get refunded back to November 28, 2017. I was reassured that cancellation would be back dated to November, 2017 and a final bill in 30 days would be mailed out. Today, May 17, 2018 a bill was received for another $1,300.

During this time with the porting request being stalled; my client paid all the months for BOTH INTERNET AND PHONE SERVICE to keep the phone service active. In addition, their phone service was cut off during this time and they had to pay additional fees to get the service reinstated as well as a fee to activate the service. It took 3 days for service to become active even though they were told it would be 24 hrs.

This is ridiculous. Windstream was going through a merger when we submitted the porting request, thereby two account numbers generated. We were given the incorrect account number on the CSR, which was given to us by WINDSTREAM. What should have taken a week to complete in porting their business number, took 5 months. Meanwhile, my client was paying for the new Internet and VOIP and also had to pay Windstream to keep the Business Phone active OR they would lose their service. Windstream owes my client a refund for all the months they paid due to their negligence in giving us the correct information on the CSR. In addition, they owe my client a refund for the additional fees to restore their service.

With this report, I am adding image shots of the issues we had in the port request. The CSR was incorrect and resulted in thousands of dollars to my client. A billing dispute has been opened FOR OVER A MONTH, I am not comfortable with giving out that information online. I also have the Termination number as well and again can give you that if it is kept confidential. The "order number" below is their NEW ACCOUNT NUMBER that resulted in the merger with Windstream. So this is not an order number. This matter must be concluded and Windstream owes my client a refund. All they received today was another bill, which is ridiculous.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Sarah. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I have been able to review your account and request. I have escalated this request and should have a response within the week. I apologize that you have had a difficult process of porting and disconnecting services. However, I will be monitoring this going forward.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Since the beginning of 2018 I have been trying to get an internet upgrade. My 4 neighbors that I can throw a rock and hit their house all have it. One on the left, One on the right, and two across the road have the upgrade. I have been on the phone with customer service trying to get an answer of why I can't get it even though my neighbors have it and it shows on their computer I am available for it. Was told that an area manager was supposed to contact me. No call, text or email. Was told three days ago that the supervisor of customer service was supposed to call me in 24 to 48 hours. No call, text or email.

I called today and asked about why no call? Customer service doesn't know. I also just found out apparently the upgrade I have been wanting since the first of the year I called and put on hold on April 11???? Why would I want an upgrade and then put it on hold???? I'm at a loss of what to do! What makes it worse is they have sales people call my house and let me know I'm available for an upgrade. One big hassle after another. They should be counting their blessing. They are the only option in my area or nobody that I know would stay with them. Good Luck to guys out there.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Joseph. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize about the issues you have had with upgrading your internet service. I have asked for additional information via private message to assist in this matter. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 13, 2018

Terrible, unreliable, awful operating system and service. Customer service is awful and useless. Overpriced totally not worth the expense!!!

Windstream response

Good Morning, Annmarie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We certainly want to make sure that you have an excellent customer service experience. I apologize that has not be the case. I have asked for some additional information via private message to address any pricing and service issues you may have. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: May 25, 2018

Windstream came out and fixed my issue which seems to have been a line in our box that needed to be replaced. They also gave us a new modem and were extremely helpful in person and over the phone (LaToya). I've decided to change my original one star rating to 4 stars, mainly due to the lack of speed options we are available too, if it changes down the road then I'll update this post again.

Original review: May 11, 2018

The service we have received has been absolutely terrible when it comes to the internet portion of our dealings with this company. We have been a customer with them for almost 24 years now. In the last year we had many issues with our previous modem, and decided to upgrade both our modem and our bandwidth package. For about 3 months all was working great, I was no longer having to call almost 3 times a week about constant drops or random outages. But then it happened again, and now here I am calling 3 times in the last two days.

I've noticed a pattern with them when I would call about having no internet, as soon as they would "take a look" it started working perfectly. As soon as the call ended, boom, no internet again. So I call back, different rep, same steps, he "takes a look" and guess what, internet comes back instantly. He goes a step further to send out a tech for the following day. As soon as the phone hangs up, no internet. So I waited for the next day, tech never comes, only calls me saying "I'm at the hub here and I don't seem to be able to find any issues with your connection, I'm going to run a few more test and will call you to let you know what I find."

I never received a callback, and then later that day I lost my internet connection not once, not twice, but three more times. When calling back about this issue I spoke with a rep and explained my situation. He was very helpful and first and then told me that the soonest a tech could come out again wouldn't be for 5 days, I told him that was not acceptable, he then became rude to me saying it was the only service they could offer and so forth. To say I'm unhappy with this company and their service is a very very low understatement. If there was another provider I would switch as quickly as we could, sadly there is no other providers that come to the area. So if you have to deal with Windstream and their "high speed" internet the best advice I can give you is good luck.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Matt . We strive to provide consistent service that meets our customers needs and it appears that we dropped the ball for you. I am so glad that you allowed us to send a technician and repair the inside wire, replace the modem and improve your overall internet performance. If you have any other issues or questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Original review: May 11, 2018

System freezes and pixels take over the screen. Sound goes out all the time. Wireless system can’t handle TVs (2) and laptop at the same time. Customer service has a script that they follow with no results to remedy the problems. Tried this service for a year and will say goodbye this week! Waste of money!

Windstream response

Good Morning, Don. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We appreciate you allowing us to provide you service and hope that you will give us a chance to fix the issues you are having. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Original review: May 7, 2018

Incredibly poor service -- customer service, phone service, internet quality, multiple and frequent outages -- for the last 7 years (the only option we had!). Cancelled today after finally connecting with a new provider. Agent was argumentative as I repeatedly requested cancellation of service.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Carrie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize your customer experience has caused us to lose you as a customer. I have reached out to you via private message about the possibility of speaking with you about your experience. Please review this at your convenience.

Resolution response: May 3, 2018

Windstream corrected my billing issue immediately and I am very pleased with their quick response! Thank you, LaToya and Windstream, for understanding my frustration!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I am a new Windstream customer and just received my first bill. I see that I have Windstream Shield Lite (that I did not sign up for and had already asked to be removed) and an activation fee of $50 that I was not told about in advance. I signed up through DirecTV and was only told of one fee, not two. Windstream should make sure that if DirecTV is speaking on their behalf, they are giving complete information about all fees for all companies involved. This switch from Comcast is supposed to save me money, not break the bank the first month in. And the phone number associated with my account isn’t even mine. I don’t have a home phone. It’s a phone number Windstream assigned me. Does this make sense? I’m not going to remember this random phone number if I need to call and don’t have a bill handy!

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Lee. It was a pleasure speaking with you today. Thank you for providing us the opportunity to correct the billing on your account. We look forward to providing an excellent customer experience going forward. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

LaToya

Original review: April 4, 2018

On Monday, 3/19/18, we had a storm during the day. When arriving home we discovered that there was no internet. I then noticed that our Modem did not have any lights for data or wifi. After speaking with Windstream tech support, the decision was made that our Modem was damaged from the storm and would need to be replaced. I explained that I would be leaving to go out of town on Thursday and had someone coming to stay at the house, it would be necessary to have the modem shipped overnight so they could have internet over the weekend. The Windstream representative explained that they normally ship within 3 to 5 days. However, since I had been a 20+ year customer, there may be something they could do. I was passed along to a very nice lady that said that they would send the modem out overnight.

It was after 6 on Monday, so she explained that it would go out on Tuesday and I will receive it on Wednesday. I’m afraid that she did nothing after she got me off the phone. Came home Wednesday, 3/21/18, and there was not a modem waiting on me. I called Windstream and asked where my modem was and after at least 30 minutes the representative I was speaking with said that he did see where there was a note that the modem was to be sent out overnight but he could not find any tracking information. I told him that I did not trust that one had been sent and I wanted one sent out. He said that he would need to transfer me over to customer service to make it happen. Then he promptly hung up on me. I tried to call back and was told there would be a least a 15 minute wait to speak to a representative. I hung up and decided that I’d call when my wife and I got to our vacation location.

On Thursday, 3/22/18, I called and spoke to a young lady that could not find ANY record of a modem going out. She placed another overnight order and told me that I would receive an email in just a short time with the tracking number to verify delivery. I received an email at 8:41 PM on Friday 3/23/18 informing me that the modem was shipped FedEx ground and should arrive by the end of the day on Tuesday, 3/27/18. It seems that Windstream has a “tell them whatever they want to hear and get them off the phone” attitude. Then they move onto the next irate customer. I spoke to one of their representatives and 2 managers last night and received multiple apologies and a $26.00 credit for my frustration. Wow. Seems that they lost the book on customer service a long time ago, and, since most of us have nowhere else to go, just don’t care.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Rick, thanks again for providing us with the valuable feedback regarding your experience as our goal is to ensure our customer's have the best experience possible with every interaction. We also appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make this right for you and will certainly follow up with you after your speed upgrade order has been completed. If you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out and we appreciate your business!

-Latoya

Original review: March 30, 2018

I canceled my internet service in September 2017 as I started using my wireless provider. I originally called and they had a service ticket for disconnect on internet only as I was keeping regular phone service. 2 months later I noticed I was still being charged for the internet service. I emailed customer service this time, said I would receive a confirmation email which never happened. I receive February 2018 statement still with internet charges. I call again, get bounced around to different reps and finally when I get someone that can help me I explain the situation and say they will take care of it immediately.

Well they got the internet service charges off now in March, but still billing me for the internet charges of the past and late fees. I told them I was not going to make a payment until they can send me a corrected statement with credit for the past payments and current internet charges to date. Customer service here is terrible as you can see and apparently all about them pocketing money on services not used.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Matt, thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your billing errors. I am happy that we were able to provide a resolution and we appreciate the updated review rating. We strive to ensure our customers are satisfied and appreciate your business!

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have been a Windstream business customer (Voice and Data) for several years (**), and Windstream has been stonewalling a port request (change) to Charter/Spectrum since the first of January. On March 9th at 5 PM Eastern we had IT staff as well as telecom contractors in place for the previously-agreed to switch. Windstream failed to recognize Spectrum's port changes on 4 straight occasions, and now neither our own IT people or Spectrum can get Windstream to respond to our queries. I myself turned in a Trouble ticket for this same complaint 48 hours ago and have not received a call or email from Windstream Support. We have filed a complaint with the TN Public Service Commission as recommended by Counsel, and the next step will be a court filing.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Paul, we have not received the requested information regarding your port request. Please feel free to contact me back directly if you are able to provide this information and we'd be happy to assist. Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to correct this for you as we appreciate your business!

-Andrea

Original review: March 15, 2018 My business had been with Windstream for years. When they messed up our call forwarding and couldn't fix it for months we had to change to another provider.

They changed the system and didn't even know it themselves. They tell us we have an "automatic renewal" contract that they put on our account. When we asked for proof they said they never send you anything telling you under automatic renewal, they just impose it on you. Ultimately they want us to pay for months of service that we don't even use! We never signed a renewal contract but here we are being shafted by Windstream. Multiple calls to resolve the issue and they don't care, they just want free money!

Windstream response

Good afternoon Brian and Diane, thank you for giving us your time and patience in getting this issue resolved. I am happy to see that we have come to a resolution with the assistance of one of our business account specialist. If you have any questions or needs in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: March 8, 2018

Installation services, and customer service is HORRIBLE!!! I waited 5 days to get internet. No tech ever showed up, as a matter of fact when the tech called me he said he had no idea he was supposed to be there, I reschedule, they send another tech out who was an hour and 10 minutes late and didn't bother to call me or nor did I get a text message after I signed up for it. So I missed my appt again, they offered no concession, no accommodations only to reschedule so here I am a Roku T.V. I just bought, I watch Netflix and until I find a provider I will be looking at the walls because this company has poor customer service skills and offers no solutions!!! Very angry!!!

Windstream response

Good afternoon Louise. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and get you the services you requested. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm so tired of paying a 109.86 a month for internet and phone. This amount of money is ridiculous and all the little charges add up to about 16 - 17 dollars extra of your bill. My bill starts off with internet being 59.99, tech help? 11.99 Windstream Shield which I do not recall asking for. So after that then add on surcharges and fees then turns into 91.00. Final bill 109.86. ABOUT TO GET RID OF THIS ALL THE WAY AROUND AND LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. Or sit at the library or McDonald's with free wifi.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Shari. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and clarify any billing concerns you may have. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Andrea

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Over the past several years we have had very slow speeds with our internet as well as frequent "drop" out of service completely. This problem became much worse a month ago. Drop of service or totally unusable speeds. We have had to call technical support every single day for 3 weeks straight. They set up a ticket, they send a tech, who explains to us that SQUIRRELS have eaten the wires in a junction box on Cider Press Road. That because there aren't many people on service out here their management will not clear them to replace said squirrel eaten switch box. They even go further to explain that there are "tons" of wires in the box and they just splice them together until they get a connection. This usually will give us under 1mb speed for about a day until a different service tech will try and fix someone else on the line (who was probably knocked off when they fixed me) and then we have nothing or next to nothing again.

I pay $70 a month for this, all the while running my hot spot on my cellphone to get my work done. I have also been told they cannot process a "refund" on downtime until they get the issue fixed. Which according to their technicians will never happen in this area. Their service calls are given to you with an all day window, they can show up from 7am to 5pm. If you aren't home, they will leave. Even though the issue isn't even in my home. It is seriously no exaggeration that every single day we have had to have them out. And they refuse to permanently or satisfactorily fix this issue.

Windstream response

Thank you for speaking with me Brenda. I have provided your feedback to the necessary parties. If you need anything from Windstream in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Thanks.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I don't recommend Windstream for a internet provider if you can avoid it. They have a franchise in our area so if we want internet service we have to use Windstream. The internet speed is terrible & very slow. When I talk to them it's always because a lot of people are using the internet. (At 2:00 AM?) I had my computer checked & it checks out ok, no viruses etc.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Richard, I haven't heard anything back from your since your message in mid-March. We would be happy to attempt to get a resolution for your internet service issues. Please feel free to contact me directly and I'd be happy to assist.

Thanks.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Do not use Windstream!!! Terrible customer service. We ordered new service. We were given no option for an installation day, only an email stating that the technician would be there to install everything the next day. We took off of work and díd not see the technician all day. We called 3 separate times throughout the day and were reassured that the technician would be there soon. The 3rd time that we called we were put on hold for 25 minutes while the customer service rep contacted "dispatch".

Then they finally came back on the line and said terribly sorry the technician does not have enough time to make it to your house today. After telling the rep that rescheduling was not an option for us because we could not take off of work again we were put on hold for another 20 minutes for an authorized supervisor. When the supervisor came on the phone they were rude. They told us that since they missed the appointment that day that they would be willing to come on Saturday as well as take $20 off of our bill.

We reluctantly agreed because it was Thursday and thought we would give them a chance to make it up. We were then told that it takes 2 days to schedule an installation so it would not be that Saturday but could possibly be the next Saturday or the Saturday after. So basically they schedule you then don't show up then try and reschedule you for two weeks later knowing that it was their fault all along. I would hate to see how long it would take for them to show up at our house if we were a customer and our internet quit and we needed a technician to fix it. We will not be using this service ever!

Windstream response
Good afternoon Amy, I wanted to follow up and say THANK YOU for allowing Windstream the opportunity to make this right for you. I am happy we were able to successfully get your services installed and get a technician out a time that was convenient for you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the future if you need assistance and we appreciate your business!

Staff Manager-Windstream-Customer Experience

Windstream expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.

• Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.

• Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.

• Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.

• Best for: Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs