Windstream

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently ordered internet service on my Grandad's home phone account. The agent had no problem signing us up for internet. My grandad is 91 and hard of hearing and battling cancer so I did the talking, he was sitting right beside me the whole time. After receiving the equipment via FedEx and hooking it up, it would not work. We received a bill with charges doubling what the agent said they would be. I called to resolve the issue and cancel the internet service and request a return shipping label and was spoken to very rudely and was hung up on several times. We have never used the equipment, which is boxed up and sitting waiting to be returned. They will not speak to me on behalf of my grandad whose name is on the account. We have been a Windstream home phone customer for years and never expected to be treated this way.

Windstream is the worst type of company. Their company statement is to provide their customers with the best high-speed internet possible, but this a blatant lie. The first few months were fine then afterwards it became awful. They guarantee 6 mb per second speeds which in itself is pretty awful for the $60 dollar a month rate. My internet speed currently sits at about .20. Yes .20 mb per second. What they are doing should be illegal as they are abusing their power as the only internet provider in the area. They are rude and intolerable when it comes to customer service and refuse to fix anything about the awful internet that they are providing. I wish somebody would do something about them as I am at a loss for what to do.

Twice, I have had to contact the FCC regarding fraudulent charges and have had to have them reversed or have my account credited. I contracted with PC MATIC over a year ago for internet protection service, meanwhile WS claims that I had contacted them and request their protection service and have been charged for it for over a year! Lawsuit anyone? I have contacted an attorney and since this has happened twice, I've had it! Anyone remember the Wells Fargo fiasco?

My husband, baby and I live in an apartment complex here in Effingham. Windstream is unfortunately the only internet that is hooked up in our complex. At first everything sounded great! But as it went on... and we have only been using them for a month... it's gotten worse. Our first bill, using the minimum internet possible was $145! Now I understand that we have to pay a 50$ activation fee, which is fine. But that means 12mgbites would be 95$ a month! Online it says it would be less than 70! We are considering not even having internet. It's not worth it. And every time I call with a question I have to call several times because either they can't figure out what I need or I get different answers each time. Only person I like from this company is the girl that came to hook it up. Otherwise horrible service.

When trying to do auto pay girl must have punched in wrong acct. # so when they went to do auto pay it refused to give money to Windstream. They charged me 30.00 and took 5 hours off my life waiting for rep. This company needs more people, but at least I talk onshore instead of asking what 1,000 times.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

My father passed away and then my mom. I called to get the service cut off 2 months ago. They didn't cut it off for a month because I was given the wrong fax number to fax his death certificate. So when I called back, I was told I had to pay a month of service on the bill even though no one was there to use it. That wasn't my fault they didn't receive the certificate in time. They made no contact with me concerning this matter. And when I called back the woman on the phone was very rude. Not good customer service at all.

We moved to another home and had to cancel our service. It was cancelled (and confirmed) on December 1, 2016, but we are still getting billed for services that have been cancelled. The entire time we had Windstream we were never late for a bill, etc. Attempts to rectify the situation are just so aggravating. I have spent 2 hours and 20 minutes trying to get this resolved. Never again will I use Windstream for anything.

10 mos. ago, I upgraded my DSL, increasing my bill to $105/mo. Ever since then, either my landline home phone or my internet goes down intermittently for days. I'm so tired of having to call these people and have someone come out to "repair" whatever is wrong with this - only to discover it's down AGAIN. This time: my phone has been out for a month! I've had Windstream for over 10 yrs. and never had this problem until now. WTH, Windstream!

Does anyone have the contact info for the law firm in Al that is handling the complaints concerning the dial up speeds they are selling as DSL? It has taken over 5 years to get a broken connection fixed on the mainline and I have had enough. Thank you for your time.

I have read all the reviews and I did not find one good review. Our landline phone has been down off and on for years. I call and they make a ticket. Last I hear from them. If they do come they will tell you they can't find the problem and leave saying someone else will come. Of course they never do. Our phone rings some days, some not. Weather seems to affect it somehow. They really don't care. Maybe if more people reported them to FCC they would make some attempt to improve. I did once and am going to again.

I live in Folkston, Georgia. Windstream charges all their customers different prices. I am paying $88 a month and my neighbor across the street is only paying $67. When you call it takes forever. You are continually on hold. And when you try to get a different kind of service there are no other options in this town. I thought monopolies were illegal. Windstream has horrible service. My service has been in and out continuously. I have had to call service techs five times in the last four months. I just want service from another provider.

They don't have many reps that know a thing about customer service. The dumb ones (& there are many) don't listen & the more intelligent ones, try to intimidate or insult you. They ALL interrupt you when you try to explain the problem. They are the only phone company we have, and that is a monopoly! The overpricing is out of control! And yet, they can't upgrade the service enough not to have a meltdown. Windstream is an established company now! I vote for competition! Which agency would agree with all the complaints listed here? I want AT&T for $15 a month. We have been paying around $100 a month for 20+ years!! ETIR (every time it rains) out, too cold, out, too hot, out...

It's a good thing I am a Christian woman or I would blast off! Windstream is a -0 company. The support knows NOTHING and the rest DO NOT CARE. My speed is a 1.10 download and a 0.31 upload. That takes weeks to get there. Fiber cable is buried beside my house but, NO one can or will tell you if it will EVER be connected. A 1 is all they promise me on speed but, want to sell me everything else, WHAT FOR if what I have now does not work. The circle just spins for hours. Plus there has been 2 months before that I got absolutely NO service. Would never suggest to anyone that they go with this piece of cheap, non caring, a few more words, company. They hold their hand out for that check though.

Out of the 10 agents I have spoken to in the past month trying to get an upgrade on internet service as well as add another line, they were so incompetent. Called to have my internet upgraded. Turns out I needed some new lines run but no one called to let me know. I waited 2 weeks and called back. The agent was not only rude & interrupted me, she was completely apathetic about the fact that I was going to lose my job due to the fact that I didn't have enough upload speed. After that I called in and had another phone line put in just a regular pots line, well turned out to be also a challenge. I had a tech schedule but no one called and no showed up. When I called back they told me they were waiting for an approval from an engineer.

So I waited a couple more days still nothing until I spoke to a supervisor about it and truly angry by this point, he was able to fix it within that day. But again the agent that I spoke to same problem as the one before no ownership no empathy just plain rude. When I tried dialing out on long distance but it didn't work. Turns out someone had changed my long distance provider. Guess who? The agent that added my original phone number. So I called. Had a very nice lady on the phone tell me she had fixed the issue and that by 7 pm it would be fixed. This was noon. The next day I tried again and still had an issue so I called back and got another agent completely terrible at customer service. This happens way too often. Either train your people or at least monitor their calls because people need to feel valued as well as be treated with respect.

My phone service has died. No phone line, no internet, no Wifi. The repairman came out 2 weeks waiting, fixed problem, said mice chewed wires up in box in the field. Worked 2 days, have same problem, called them again. Waited days for them to arrive. He fixed the problem again, left his cell phone number on card, "if you have problem again, call it." Well I've called it 4 times they don't respond. I called customer service again. The man told me what day repair guy would be here. It's a no show. I call customer service again, "ok we're crediting your bill now for no service and will send a repairman out in the next 2 weeks."

My father had a stroke, was in intensive care for a month, now in a nursing home and my mother can't get thru to me on my house phone. I don't think we as consumers should be locked into one phone company service in our area. It's very apparent to me Windstream does not care about their customers and why does it take so freaking long to get service fixed?

I put in an order to move the line to a new address weeks in advance of our move. On the day of the move a 'customer service' rep called to tell me they had screwed up my move order and the order would now be delayed 12 days. Yes, Windstream screwed up but we were going to pay. When I explained my wife was a physician and the landline was the way the hospital was supposed to contact her if she was needed it fell on deaf ears. They simply didn't care. They didn't try to fix it other than say they'd put us at the back of the line but if a time slot became available then we might get it.

I called corporate HQ and was directed to an office whose purpose is to insulate upper management from customer complaints. That's right, Windstream has an office staffed with people who intercept calls, letters, e-mails or faxes so management will never see them. All complaints are sent to a black hole where they will never see the light of day again. It became apparent that Windstream simply does not care about customers. They were unwilling to direct the local office to have an installer work a few extra minutes so they could fulfill their promise to move our service when originally promised.

So here we are at a week and counting with no landline. Any customer loyalty we had is now gone. My goal now is to carefully coordinate a move away from Windstream to our wireless carrier in such a way that my wife's communication line to the hospital isn't compromised. All I wanted was for someone at Windstream to stand up and make a serious effort to honor a commitment they made to us. They failed.

I was surfing and a web page popped up with a questionnaire from Windstream. I hate that crap. I immediately went to their support page and selected the email option. After completing the form, an error message appeared saying "oops, that page is broken". If they do it again I'm leaving Windstream. I hate that crap. Their service is going downhill. You can't contact them. Then they interrupt you with their marketing crap. Whatever happened to just good service. You don't have to survey your customer base if you give good service.

Windstream called during my lunch trying to sell me their services. I said no several times. They offered 80 per month and I said no because Wi-Five Services were only 49.99 per month. The gentleman offered to match Wi-Five price so I agreed. My first bill was $84. I called and the lady said she would play back the recording and call me back. I never heard back from her so I continued to call and they kept arguing with me saying they could not go that low and would never play back the recording. I told them I was not paying that and not to bill me again. They are trying to collect $222 for what they say was 2 months of service. I told them I did not agree to the $84 per month and they should cancel service and if they did not cancel service it was not my problem. I will not pay this. I will pay the $50 only. They are wrong and know it or they would have played back the recording.

I tell you what I don't like them at all right now! My internet signal keeps dropping so I call them up for the last 2 months and they tell me today it is because of a usage issue. I have been having the same usage issue for the last month then. It only goes through a copper wire they say, but that doesn't stop them from charging me $95.00 a month for 1 meg internet and for the home phone. I have to have the internet for the business that I am running, and still yet these companies like Windstream charge an arm and a leg. I live out in the country, but why does that give them the right to charge 35.00 extra on my household when I can't even get on the Internet half the time and it cost 30 for people that are closer to Windstream. I get on the internet to do just a couple of things and it may take 1 to 2 hours that should have taken no more than 20 mins at most.

I think that with the level of service and product that they are providing it should be about 10 dollars for internet. It is not my fault that Windstream doesn't want to do anything to change the lines to make it cheaper for people out here. I remember 5 years ago I had the 1 meg through them and it was nothing like the problem today. Then they had 3 megs which I stopped using 2 years ago at the same address I am now. I could watch Netflix and did have some problems every once in a while, but not as much as some people were having with them.

I got back on 3 months ago and they say to me we only have 1 meg. Even though for years I called in asking to change to a higher speed and they would say "They are always upgrading the lines. There should be faster speeds available in the future in your area." To make it sound like, hey that is great, I will check back in a few months maybe it will be faster speed, but no they downgraded the whole system.

Then I called up Dish network thinking that I would be able to get satellite Internet through them. They partnered with Windstream. The lady on the phone said I would have to go with Windstream. I told her I already have Windstream and she said in my area I would have be on Windstream they don't provide satellite internet in my area. Then she says "well why would you want to be on Dish if you are all ready got 50 meg internet service." I told her I did not have 50 meg, I have 1 meg service that keeps dropping all the time. She said that she is looking at it right here on her computer that in my area there is 50 megs. I ended up telling her of all the Windstream has said to me over the past 3 months and she still couldn't get off, "well you need to call them."

Well I have called and called and they keep saying the same thing. "Your house is too far out and it is being feed through a copper wire." You don't know how many times I have heard that, but like I said 2 years ago they had 3 meg which they was feeding through a copper wire as well, because I remember them telling me the same story then too. The real problem is with the area I am in I don't have any internet providers in my area other than Windstream. So I have no choice to pay 95 a month.

The other thing is the price for life internet bundle that I was suppose to be paying is 54.99. Which this is not the truth, because they are giving me that price but what they are really doing is adding fee after fee on my bill. The problem is that when you sign up for phone service you don't know what they charge for fees, taxes, and other costs that are associated with it. The problem is that Windstream is saying to people that the bill is not going to be that much higher. When I signed up the sales rep I talked to said it would be no more than 65.00 a month. Which was a lie. 2nd bill 81.09 then 3rd bill 92.99 and I haven't seen one bill that was 65.00 since I started my services back in February. So is Windstream taking advantage of people, yes they are!

Called and wanted to install service. They said they would be here Oct 17 between 1130 am to 330 pm. They never showed and when I called they said it could be between 215 pm to 615 pm. Then I got a call saying between 1 and 5 pm. Still at 7 pm no tech or phone call. They called this morning and said I was first in line and now here I am at 6 pm Oct 18 and they still have not showed and said I would be first in the morning. I told them to you know what and cancelled my service. So I am two days in the hole at work thanks to Windstream.

I have had many issues with joint billing through Windstream and Dish. I talked to Jason from the Iowa office the last time I called and he was very hospitable and took care of my problems and so much more. Very appreciative for people like him who are so understanding. Will request speaking with him each time I have questions about Windstream. Thanks Jason!

Pros: The system was very reliable. Few outages. Cons: Very expensive, no integrity, continuously transferred from one department to another because no one will or can take care of a situation. There are many particular stories that could be given as an example but I will share only two. When we moved from one location to another I was without service for just under 5 months due to "a problem on their end". I did after numerous calls receive a partial refund. While without access to their service I went with another provider, at a much less rate. Being without service was not an acceptable reason to get out of their contract.

The second two years later when they DOUBLED my monthly rate and offered me the ability to leave their company. I did change to a different provider and have been trying for over 4 months to receive a refund for the final month of service. They did issue a credit on the account but have still failed to issue the check. The amount of time a business owner will spend on the phone with this company to get anything open, changed or resolved is frustrating and wasteful.

On July 21, 2016, I had service connected at my new home. I had the services connected due to leaving a home to where I was in a domestic violence issue. Before I moved in I made sure all my ducks were in a roll considering I work from home -- my electricity, water, internet, phone. On July 22, 2016, I moved in. Everything was working all weekend. I woke up Monday morning and no internet or phone service. I called Windstream 5 times that day and waiting for someone to pick up anywhere between 30 to 1 hour each time. Then I was told I had to get my ID and social security card notarize and fax to them.

So I went to the bank and had that done. Came home called and waited 45 mins to talk to someone. I was told that my services would be reconnected within 2 business days. The next morning I had to work. I was still in training and there's no excuse accepted to miss training. 100% attendance. I had no phone service. I called Windstream back and was told a ticket would be created and the issue would be resolved within 2 days. On July 28, 2016, I was fired due to the 100% attendance! Well in the morning at 10:30 August 22, 2016, I have an interview that requires me to have phone service I have no phone service.

I called Windstream this morning and I was told that my phone was disconnected. My bill was due on the 17th and services disconnected on the 19th, don't think so. This company is the worst ever. If I could get DSL in this area I would change in a heartbeat. I hope my phone is back on by 10:30 in the morning. The $151.00 bill is paid!! Still no service!!!

Call Windstream because my internet service with Cablevision was erratic and slow. Windstream promoted a bundled package with DISH. Agreed to package providing 25 Mbps and 200 channels. Asked Windstream to confirm they could provide this speed to my location. They confirmed they could deliver 50 Mbps and convinced to the ale that max speed. So we scheduled the install and I scheduled a day off work to be at home for the installer.

Installer for Windstream showed up and I requested he confirm the speed I had purchased. He checked and advised I would only get 3 Mbps at my location. I can't imagine anyone using the Internet with that speed. I told Windstream to cancel the order. Later that day DISH showed up as Windstream never advised them of the cancellation. I asked the customer support rep to connect me with her supervisor. She advised that her supervisor would not speak with me as she had nothing to say about my issue. I then asked for the supervisor's boss and was told there was no one higher in the organization. So I asked for the CEO's phone number or email address. Her response was they were not allowed to give out that information. I live in a small town where monopolies definitely control our environment (Windstream and Cablevision). We need help here. Some Third world countries can get better service than this.

Absolutely the worst customer service I have EVER encountered!! Super SLOW "high-speed DSL" and wait times on hold to complain average 20 minutes!! I’M LEAVING!!

I having problems. I called my husband on my house phone and he picked up said, “Hello.” Then a stupid recording came on saying "Welcome to Windstream Express Dial Tone. If you wish to order telephone service please hang up then pick up and dial 483." My hubby even heard the recording. He said, "What the heck!" I said, "You hear that too?" He said "Yes." So I hung up, he dialed our home number back and the number shows up on the phone, but the phone don't ring.

Called Windstream. They said don't know what going on. Also told them my internet was messing up too. Only works half the time! They said they will have a tech call me or someone come to my house by Thursday. They want their payment, but when we have a problem we have to wait. I told them. They was going to credit my bill some. He basically said, "No, you got to deal with it til we get it fixed!" **! I wish they was another phone company beside Windstream and Time Warner in Nicholasville!

Windstream increased my monthly rate almost 30%, so I found a cheaper rate AND faster internet for less than I was paying them originally. Cancelled my service with 9 days left in the cycle. Had it set on auto draft with a limit that didn't cover the new billing amount. So, now I find out that they don't prorate final bills and threatening to file a report against my account for less than $11 when I think I should be due a refund.

Windstream has been holding my phone number for ransom for over a month. Over 10 port requests were submitted and they continue to reject them. Yes they were correctly submitted. Windstream is continuing to bill me for the phone and internet. Although I requested my account closed on 6-30, they sent me a bill for July and refuse to credit my account or stop billing me until the number is ported over to TWC. Yet, they keep rejecting the requests for the port. So, I have spoken with Windstream in-depth, and they still refuse to be accountable and credit my account or release the number. Meanwhile, I am getting NOTHING from them and they are billing me for over $75.00! They only suggest that I have the Windstream company come out and fix my phone. In other words, they are holding my account for a ransom.

The Service never works in my area. The service is totally outdated. Windstream has to be one of the worst service in the world today. The customer service and technician is not fully trained on handling calls. They schedule work on days and don't come out when scheduled. Don't use Windstream for service. It will be best to use your Cellular service. Just add unlimited data.

To put it as bluntly as possible, Windstream is the worst product in all of creation. I have complained on their Twitter account and over the phone, but recent events have suggested that it's time to come here. I could go on for days about the scam that is Windstream. The slow speeds, false advertising, and unhelpful staff should be enough to deter anybody from buying this product, but so many people just keep on giving them money. I, however, am not here to dwell on unpleasantness from the past. Let's talk about recent events, shall we?

Just a while ago, I was playing an online game with a friend of mine. We were having fun, but at around 12:50 in the morning, I disconnected from the game. I was frustrated at first, but I thought I would simply go downstairs, unplug the router, and plug it back in. After all, that's basically become routine for me, considering my Internet's constantly wavering and unreliable speeds. However, this time, the problem was unresolved. I was incredibly frustrated.

After a few moments of sitting at my computer trying to remedy the issue, I got a text message from the person I was playing the game with, saying he disconnected at the exact same time as me. This let me know that the problem was on Windstream's end. I always figured it was. I know that I shouldn't be able to do an awful lot with our relatively small router, but I know when it's a problem on my end. For example, when a family member is doing work online, I know I can't play games. This is something I have come to peace with. However, when the internet stops working in the dead of night with literally one device on it, I know it's a problem for Windstream.

Windstream, I don't know what you have going on down at HQ, but you need to fix it like you said you would in 2013. **. But in all honesty, I do believe it is a criminal offense to not give someone something that you advertise and they pay for. We've been loyal customers for 10 years, and it'd be a real shame if we had to seek another internet provider.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.
  • Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.
  • Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.
  • Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.
  • Best for Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Compare Home Phone Service