1.11/5
  • 1 star
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 1, 2017

388 Windstream Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I placed a web order July 15th, the rate was $50 for internet, modem rental and unlimited phone. Got the first bill, figured it was activation charges, it was $100. Paid it. 2nd bill was also $100, so I called, talked to a Chinetha **, forwarded my email confirmation showing my quote. She said she would have a supervisor call me back. Didn't happen. So I emailed her again, and called her direct line, no reply to either. Called every week for 6 weeks now, no reply. Called main line when I got a disconnect notice, gal said same thing, supervisor will call. Asked for an order or confirmation number or email saying we talked. "I can't do that. Someone will call you." I've paid my $50, this month also, and I get home... disconnected.

Was on the phone with them for an hour today, they said the best they could do would be to give me the rented modem, remove the rental charges for it, (So if it breaks, I'm on my own!) redo my account at $65 including taxes, and I still have to pay the past due balance of $110. (Could not explain that to me, as she said she can't look up anything on my account past 90 days, so could not tell me what happened to my first $100 payment). I asked why my aunt, who literally lives down the street from me, has the same bundle, with more gigs per month, for $65/month, she said she can't tell me what my aunt's plan is, but it's not available on my street. I HAVE to have internet for my son to do his homework on his Chromebook for school, and have to have a landline for my elderly mother. Had to take the deal, REALLY not happy with it. At all.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I first signed up for Windstream and paid there amount they wanted and took a hit on my credit report as a inquiry. Waited for my appointment and they never showed up, Finally gave up fighting with Windstream, but fact is I have a inquiry on my credit report for the lack of doing what was agreed, now I have to wait 2 years for it to drop off. Sadly that's damage to my credit report and hinders me from loans and gives me more high interest on a loan, Very aggravated with Windstream not taking the inquiry off for their mess up.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Filed a report over 24 hours ago on Windstream landline and internet outage after a few hours. Was advised it will be up to 48 hrs before resolution. Contacted Windstream again today and same response that it would be tomorrow before someone is on site. Very frustrated with poor response.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I haven't had service since last Friday! Monday they said I would have a service tech by Wednesday (which was pushing it because we run our business from home). Well, he never came. I called at 4:00 and they said, "No worries. He was still coming." I call at 7:00 and they say he called and no one answered. I have my call log, no one called. She then said her supervisor would call me tonight... he didn't and I still have no service. They feel no accountability and are the worst provider I have ever dealt with. Only person who could talk to me wasn't even in this country!!! Never use Windstream, they are horrible!!!

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2017

Windstream has contacted me, after their investigation they zero'd out my bill. Their response was timely and they expressed how sorry they were for the inconvenience. I only regret was that this could not be solved with my initial call to Windstream business.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Official request to port my phone numbers from Windstream to another company on July 17 with a request to complete by July 28. Windstream would not port my numbers until July 31 (said they were not porting any numbers the week of the 24th). This made me go 2 days into my next billing. I have a $423.56 bill from Windstream for service July 29 - Aug 29. I was told "Too bad, we don't pro-rate." I do not believe I should be responsible for a month of service that I did not receive when it was Windstream that delayed the port, not me! I am not trying to get out of paying for the additional days of actual use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had Windstream install Internet and Phone on July 6 2017 at a quoted price of $54.92. I asked for a total price that I would be charged on my Monthly Bill and this is what I was Quoted. I also asked for my payment to be taken out of my Bank Account and gave them all my info so I wouldn't have to worry about my Payment.

On Oct 09 2017 my Phone was Disconnected so I called to see why. That said for non-payment of Bill. They said they had no Record of Bank Info. They said they sent paper bills to me. I told them I had not received any Bills. They looked up the address they had been sending the bills and it was a total different address. They said I owed over $400.00 From July 6 to Oct 9. I told them that was not Right and they told me that my bill was over $100.00 a month. I told them that was not what I was quoted and they said it didn't matter that was what I had to Pay. I am Going to cancel my service with them and try somebody else. They were supposed to have someone else to call me back but that has not happened. I think this is the way they get their customers by Quoting one price and charging another when they have their service connected. Poor Customer Service!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Windstream bases their contracts on lies and fraud. They constantly confused us and gave us the run-around. Windstream initially came to my house when I was finishing the build-out in Kennard, Texas. They offered me a bundled deal with Dish Network along with Windstream Phone and High Speed Internet. I was told that the Internet would be finalized in my area within the month and that it would be up and running before we moved in. Each month after that, I had to call Windstream and constantly dispute the bills because they hadn't finished the Internet installation on the corner. 1-year goes by and still no internet. They charged me penalty after penalty time and time again.

My wife and I were always on the phone with customer care and financial services disputing ungodly charges. It became so bad that Dish suggested that we should break away from the bundled package and just pay separately; which we properly did. Even with separate accounts, Windstream continued to pay the Dish bill (as we did) and Windstream subsequently charged us. Although we showed Windstream the Dish bill, we were told that we still had to pay $333. We disputed, Windstream sent to collections, we paid. They had us. We paid way too much for not even having internet, wi-fi, phone, etc. Seems as though it should be illegal for them to promise something that they never delivered and charge us for it. I'm through with them.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Charles. My name is Andrea from Windstream's Executive Escalation's Department. I sincerely apologize you have had to endure such frustrations with Windstream and getting your billing information correct. I would be happy to take a look at your account and see what we can do.

Thanks.
Andrea

Staff Manager- Executive Customer Relations | Windstream

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

On September 8th I submitted a request to start service through Windstream's online portal. I received a confirmation email and was scheduled for installation on the 15th. I called on the 10th to see if there were any sooner appointments as I had a day off work and was told no, so I kept my scheduled appointment for the 15th. I then received two more confirmation emails prior to the 15th. Then the morning of the 15th at about 10:00 am I receive an email saying my order was placed in "held status". So I do what any normal person would do and I call the number they provided to contact with questions. The girl I first encountered sounded like a 12-year-old snotty brat. Her customer service capabilities were extremely poor. I was told that the technician didn't even go out on the call because there "weren't enough facilities" and that I would be updated within one week as to when my service would actually be installed.

One week! For an order that was scheduled and confirmed for installation! So I asked the snotty rep to transfer to someone above her. I was then transferred to "Christy" whom tried to explain the held status. So, apparently there are not enough "facilities" to accommodate the residential area I live in. And when one customer discontinued service they can use that port for other surrounding customers. All that is lacking is a cable running from my house to their "facilities". So I'm then told this requires a call to the engineer and the engineer has to "build a port" for services to be delivered to my home. And of course they don't work on the weekends and have up to a week to respond!!! Are you freaking kidding me!? So, I then ask "Christy" to elevate the situation as I'm a new customer and feel as though they have done nothing to address my concerns. She states she has emailed back and forth with the engineer and is awaiting a response...

Monday comes and I've still heard nothing. I sent an email to their customer service department on Friday followed by another phone call on Monday morning. That call started with "Kyle" who didn’t sound like he even knew where he was, to being forwarded to the "Held Orders" department where I was once again forced to leave a voicemail message that has yet to be returned. The big picture here is that this is extremely poor customer service with someone whom is trying to begin a business relationship with a new company. Do not send email confirmation of appointments and then not communicate as to why your installation has been placed in "held status".

Extremely disgusted by the lack of knowledge that their customer service personnel seem to have and the lack of follow-up communication. Not sure I want to give this company a dime of my hard earned money when thus far they've done nothing to earn it. And please, do not apologize to me again Miss snotty customer service rep, your apology does nothing for me. It certainly hasn't gotten my service installed has it!?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

We have filed numerous complaints since 7/19 about lack of phone service. You can not get two people to tell you the same story, This company must spend more time training their people how to lie than they do trying to provide service. They say they send people out to repair and when we call to report same problem, they say ticket closed, but we still have same problem, drop calls, no dial tone, get message number no longer in service or disconnected. One service repairman tried to call us and said he got number disconnected while he was working on our problem. Two repairman have assured us it is in their station, one actually said the station was so outdated and junk and no way could fix until they updated and all he could do was pass up line. Tonight we still have problem and they could care less. If you are thinking about Windstream, don't. Run for your life, no one needs to have to deal with this.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

First of all I have called and called and other people in my area has called for the same problem for the past 3 years or more. If I could I wouldn't even give them a star. Our lines are awful up in the air, when it rains or snows it cuts off the phone and net. Wires inside of the air lines are showing and everyone has told them that and even our technician told them that every time and they refuse to fix them. Where I live I have no cell service and I have really bad health problems. Like a few months ago I really needed a ambulance but guess what no dial tone due to rain, so I had to wait hours for my net to come on but still no phone and I had to message a friend out of state to call ambulance for me and come to find out I had a heart attack. But I'm to the point that I'm going to refuse to pay bill and take it over the corporate office and plus go to county attorney to file a law suit. Get your crap together Windstream and Get this fixed or there will be consensus. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

No other provider in the area have to use Windstream. Started with 3mb that at best was marginal. Having to do school work and most times was unable and used phone as hotspot, had to call in to talk to a rep as their chat did not work. Advised to upgrade to 20mbps. Okay, What's the real cost. Can do it through my account online. Oh boy. Online there is a checkbox for no landline wanted, great first time for that hope that means no billing as well. $39.99 plus $9.99 modem rental that will be the about the same as I paying. Nope not available in your area have to go with 12mbps.

Okay, What's the cost have to wait for first bill have taxes and surcharges. Keep asking should be around $50 to $60 but because of taxes and surcharges cant say wait for first bill. Bills ever since you guessed it $96 plus I call in an no explanation just that is what it is, line charge has to be there rather you have a phone or not to provide the service. Also there is a fee for the upgraded service on top of the service they cant provide. I have even tried emails. Again they are the only service in our area so I have no choice but to pay rather it works or not. The speed is what they have stated for the most part, weekend lag and night time is relative low. False billing practices as well as billing for a phone that is not used is my issues.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I have been a loyal customer with Windstream Communications for 5 years. It has given us nothing but problems since we got it. I cannot tell you how many phone calls I have had to make to customer support over the years. We have constant issues with the signal dropping all day long a lot of the time and others, we have no internet at all or no dial tone on our phone. The phone service is terrible!! A lot of the time when we do have a dial tone on our phone, there is so much static on the line that you cannot hear anyone on the other end. Every time there is an issue, I call them and let them know. We have no other choice for internet where we live or we would NOT have Windstream! They take weeks and yes, back in June, they took a whole month to fix it!!! I have never in my life had to deal with such horrible customer service!! They tell you that you are a valued customer, but that is a lie!! I know that I am not the only one!!

The BBB has a total of 203 reviews of them and 196 are negative, 5 are neutral and only 2 are positive. There are also 2,062 complaints! That is a lot!!! That is just the few subscribers that have actually taken the time to fill out a form! I can't imagine just how many there truly are out there. Truly the worst company all the way around!! We have been lied to again and again about these "updates" that our area was supposed to receive back in 2014 and they have never been done. The technician we had come to the house at the end of June said that where our lines are, the trees have grown around them and they have been chewed on by squirrels! He said that because the trees are on someone else's property, he cannot cut any of them without permission.

He told us that all he was able to do was to switch our lines to one of the other lines there and that it was only a temporary fix because there is a 25ft cable that he said he would put an order in for that would help. It still has not been done. Our internet went out again most recently on Thurs., Aug. 17th at 10:30 pm. I was told on my first of many phone calls to customer service that it would be fixed no later than the end of the day on Sept.6th! I said, "You do know that's almost a month away?" That is unacceptable!! Absurd!! I have never had to wait that long for anyone, who I am paying monthly, to come take care of their problem!! After numerous phone calls the last 4 days, I have been told it would be the end of the day by this Fri., Aug 25!! I said that is ridiculous to have to wait a week!! My daughter is home schooled and does all of her work and classes on here! Today was her first day!!

I did receive a message from Amanda at Windstream a few hours ago saying it would be fixed by the end of the day tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it. I just want to make you aware that Windstream is the most unprofessional company I have ever dealt with! Is there anything else I can do to get them to make their customers their #1 priority as far as fixing issues in a timely manner? No one should have to wait several weeks to a month with no internet!!! I live in Piedmont, OH. I wonder how many other customers in my area have this problem??? I know I can't be the only one!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I have had Windstream services for about three years now. For the last year I opted out of my Dish service which was originally bundled with my phone/internet, and tried Kinetic TV through the internet only. It was marginally good at best and the image regularly chopped up as the max speed on our street (infrastructure) was slow. Fast forward to today, and I decided to cancel my service altogether... about three days past the new month’s billing cycle. They don't prorate, so they are going to charge me for the next months' usage even though I had them disconnect the service! FIRST STRIKE against them.

It has been 11 days waiting to receive the return equipment envelopes (or they will charge up to $100 per piece of equipment). WHAT!!! How long should I wait??? So I tried to contact them again today and neither their CHAT function, nor their EMAIL function works!!! So I must now call them. SECOND STRIKE!! When a telecom company can't even get their customer support system to work other than snail mail or phone call... then... the company is done! I will never recommend them to anyone ever again nor use their services ever again. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

When I contacted Windstream 2 years ago to begin service, they said that I would receive 6mbps. My internet has been slow since I got it, so I called to see how much it would be to upgrade. Meanwhile, my bill went from $45 a month, to $60, to $70, and now $92 a month! They scheduled to have a tech come out after the speed test. Said it was something on their end as to why I wasn't getting the speeds I was promised. The tech was scheduled for a Thursday and showed up on a Monday, when I wasn't home (and I scheduled off for that Thursday).

The tech said that my area isn't even capable of 6mbps, and that they would drop it to 3. So for two years, I've been paying for something I can't even receive. This drop has caused me to not even be able to use my internet because it is so slow. So not only have they been falsely billing for two years, but they raised my bill to a price I cannot even afford. Then this tech calls to follow up to see how my service is going, says she will call the following day to perform another speed test and never did. All they have done is lied to me. I'm done with this company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Called Windstream 4w ago to try to lower my bill of $79/month for phone with unlimited long distance/caller ID/voicemail. First they said they'd drop it to $65/mon for same service (vs. cable charging <$30 for same thing). Then next day they turned off my long distance. Then told me it would be $50/mon for DSL internet and phone. But would have to wait 2w for activation. Then when I said I needed long distance back since they was their mistake they said they'd do temporary long distance minutes for the 2w.

Then surprised me 2w later saying I'd need to be home from 8-5pm the next day. Never mentioned that before, then said they'd disconnect my cable modem which I'd clearly said not to touch as it was different company and not even connected to their lines. Cancelled new plan completely and now got latest bill which is $6 MORE than original plan and after losing long distance for 5 days last month. Good news is totally cancelled account with Spectrum cable phone now for only $19.99!!! Good riddance to Windstream!

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have reported this to BBB that Windstream charges me differently monthly when I have unlimited service. This company is getting extra money out of customers illegally. Once the BBB got involved it improved but now has gone back. They are ripping people off on their bill and somebody needs to stop this. I hope they go out of business because they do not deserve to be in business.

Original review: July 26, 2017

This company has to go! Problems on and off since April. Takes them 7 days to do anything. Story too long to print here. I hope Mr. Windstream reads the notes on my old account and the new. They didn't bother to tell me about which changed the phone number to my business. No wonder the phone stopped ringing!!! They have no clue!

Original review: July 24, 2017

I live out in the country so our options are limited with internet. I was with Hughesnet that was a little slow but never lost service for more than an hour unless we lost power. Everyone around here raved about Windstream. OMG what a joke. I pay a fortune for their best internet service. I come home after a week of vacation to find my internet not working. I call first thing Sunday morning to get it fixed. I am told they will have it fixed my Tuesday at 6 pm. I think 48 plus hours is absolutely ridiculous to wait for it to be fixed.

Since I am a remote coworker and work from home 95% of the time I had to waste a vacation day waiting for these people on Monday. I do have an office I go to twice a month but it's 2 1/2 hours from my house, so going into the office until they come is definitely not an option. No call and no show today. I decide to call to find out when they are scheduled to get here. First person says she is going to put me on hold to check the ticket but instead transfers me so I have to go over the whole thing again. This guy tells me that it's listed in their system to be fixed by the 29th... A FULL WEEK??? He then transfers me to another person that does absolutely nothing for me. This person then transfers me to a supervisor that is so condescending and will only speak to my husband because he is on the account. FYI, he's at work so I couldn't put him on the phone.

This company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I get them wanting to speak to my husband since he is on the account but you could have escalated my service call instead of just basically telling me to kiss off. Now I have to sit here and wait for him to get off work to call in and go thru the entire thing all over again and waste his time. What kind of company can expect a paying customer to wait an ENTIRE WEEK to get something fixed that they are paying for. If you have other options of internet service I would suggest checking them out before you even think of considering Windstream. I now get to waste up to a week of vacation time that could have been used to take my kids on a family vacation or to go spend with my family that lives 17 hours away on these useless fools who can't seem to put their customers first.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Over a dozen times per year our phone service goes off for our 2 phone numbers from Windstream. One phone number is home but is connected to my heart monitor. The other is my wife's commercial line that is connected to her credit card machine. When this happens, it takes them up to 2 weeks to repair the lines. Yes, we do have cell phones BUT 1. We are paying for 'land line service' (my heart monitor requires it). 2. The devices NEED land line hook up. When calling for support, you wind up talking to someone from Sri Lanka or India or (Mars??) who is extremely difficult to communicate with. We pay premium prices for very poor support and service.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Windstream has a major characteristic which is Lying and stealing. I signed up with them, they appeared very nice. I used them for only 3 months, I had to quickly disconnect from them before they rip me off completely. They shamefully have hidden fees, they wouldn't tell you of until you see your bill. When you call them to verify, they always come out with one ridiculous and out of the world explanation. They lie about everything, that I begin to wonder if part of the training they give to their workers is teaching them how to lie. They give you an appointment they never keep up with and shamefully without any form of apologies. Service is ridiculously awful, with an out of the world charges.

I advise anyone who cares to listen, run very far from Windstream, I mean very far from them. They after your money, they lie about everything and all things.

I am happy to return to my cable company after giving Windstream a try because I had DirecTV. I pray for them because if they continue like this Hell fire is at their door...

Original review: July 1, 2017

I discovered June 27 that emails sent June 25-27 were never received by recipients though my email program showed the emails were sent. When I contacted Windstream I was told that there had been a problem with their server and they were working to resolve the problem. When I asked how I would know when the problem was resolved, the customer service representative said, "I suppose you will be sent an email." I have not received notification that the problem was resolved nor notification that there was a problem. I am once again very disappointed with Windstream's service and customer service.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I have their 25 Mbps plan. I get 10 at most and usually much less. Sometimes it takes a full minute or two to get a page to load on my laptop. Tech support claims it is my brand new ASUS computer that is the problem. But, the Netflix also crashes on the TV. They also charge me $18 worth of phone fees, and I do not have a phone plan. I have a high speed internet plan only. SCAM! You do not get speed and get charged for a phone regardless. SCAM! We hope MCEC gets out this way, because these people will not fix the problem and lie to you over the phone.

Original review: June 27, 2017

What a nightmare! Submitted a port request on June 5 for two of my three line we have had with Windstream for 19 years! First it was rejected because they didn't like partial ports. We notified them to port the two and keep the third line active. Then they were suppose to port on Friday, June 16th at 3 pm and they did not. Called the following Monday and the claimed they had a preferred customer hold on the phone numbers. I ask the hold be released and they stated it would as of 7 pm that night.

Vonage resubmitted a port request at 8 pm that Monday night. (Forwarded our main number to our new business location. Which going from 3 busy lines to 1 is a disaster for a small animal vet clinic that just moved locations. People tried to call and only got a busy signal due to the phones being tied up from the forwarding to the new Vonage system. Imagine lots of disappointed and angry pet parents when they cannot get in touch of their pet's veterinarian or staff.) Windstream was suppose to respond to said request within 48-72 business hours. Called at the 72 hour point and Windstream had yet to respond. Called Windstream again, you cannot talk directly with their port department as they state it is all handled via email.

No checks and balances or manager to discuss the fact they are not responding to the emails Vonage keeps sending, sometimes three in one day. Here it is June 27, 22 days past the port request and we still have no port date from Windstream. We are paying for three lines when we only get the partial use of one being forwarded to a phone here and lose clients daily. They do not care and I am just astonished at how they treat us and the whole process. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND WINDSTREAM TO ANYONE AND WOULD STRONGLY DISCOURAGE THEIR BUSINESS FOR ANY SERVICES.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I upgrade my service from 6Mbps to 12Mbps. Sadly it was a costly mistake. I can get 12Mbps during the day but at night the speed drops dramatically. Sometimes to less than 3Mbps and NEVER more than 6Mbps. I called today to try and switch my service back to 6Mbps and was told that I would have to pay $30/mo more for less speed because they were applying a $30/mo promotional credit. So I'm stuck paying $65/mo for internet speeds that are worse than some third world countries. I've also made countless calls to tech support. I was told that the lines are saturated at night and I wasn't the only one having that problem. Sadly they don't seem to have any incentive to fix the problem.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I have never been so mad at a company before that I felt compelled to write a review. The short of it is my family owns a small retail business in Metro-Detroit and I have been unable to answer one of my business lines for 3 weeks now because Windstream lost my number and their bureaucracy is so thick no one there can fix this error that they made.

I was originally with PAETEC phone service who was bought by Windstream a number of years ago. In March of 2017 I attempted to transfer my 102 phone DID numbers (we have a bunch of numbers so advertising efforts can be tracked) to new company NexVortex. Windstream refused the porting information because they couldn't find a couple of the numbers on the order. We pushed off the migration until May 17, 2017. NexVortex was extremely frustrated trying to figure out the exact way to configure the port request that Windstream would accept. When we finally port, 3 numbers fail to port. I am using a phone routing system and everyone is logged into the new system and those 3 numbers were still getting sent to the old phone software system. I got call forwarding on 2 of the numbers after arguing with Windstream customer service on and off all day.

One of the numbers I could not call forward because Windstream did not believe it was associated with my account. My IT guy assured me we were getting pings from the Windstream switch for that number and I finally convince Windstream customer service that I own the line by saying, "Call that number right now and you will hear a voice message saying my business name and that we are sorry no one is available to take your call." They "investigate" for a couple days, conclude that I am correct and that THEY lost my number but will add it back to my account. They say they will add it and then send me the porting information so I can get this settled.

I call them a week later and say I'm still waiting on the porting info and the customer service lady has the gall to tell me my order was rejected by some internal team that looked at it because "there was an active order on the number and we can't add a phone number to an account if there is an active order on the number". She had no answer why they didn't think it was important to inform me of this. So now I'm in limbo again while they reopen my request to add MY NUMBER to MY ACCOUNT. I cannot move the number to the new company until they do this and meanwhile I have been unable to answer. I am a business and have been unable to answer one of our phone line for weeks and no one I talk to at Windstream gives a crap.

Original review: June 11, 2017

June 2, 2017 internet went down. Called Windstream and trouble in my area. Service to be back up by the next evening at 8 p.m., and would I like to have a call. Yes. That evening the 3rd my service was back up, but now my phone has static and the sound of one's voice fades in and out. I called them the next morning, Sunday the 4th, and trouble in the area, and the best they could do to get things fixed and or send out a tech would be Tuesday, June 13th. Yes, June 13th. I did find a web-site to communicate with them. They send me questions like - Does your phone have static? Has there been storms in the area? etc. I called my next-door neighbor and she had the same trouble with her internet and phone with Windstream. Her phone did stop all its problems. Currently the static sounds like a jet taking off, neither one of them rings, the answer machine does not work. I can call out but of course the static is still there.

I wrote them just this morning and told them that I was taking off work ALL DAY Tuesday so that I would be here when the tech comes out, and told them to use my cell #. The return call said that unless the tech needed to be here, I would not see him. I replied with "I will be here" so that there is NO EXCUSE for this problem being resolved. I called one of the other providers in my area and their prices are much higher and actually charge an installation fee. I am thinking now that maybe it would be worth it. Oh and I have a new promo package with Windstream, and they tell me that I may or may not have the package that I will be charged if they have to come into my house to fix a problem. I see why they chose the name Windstream. Our service is just being blown down the stream by the wind.

Original review: June 8, 2017

Our phone provider for our business is Windstream. On 6/6/17 we found we had our secondary line had heavy static and we could not receive calls in or out and our alarm system was sounding very loud throughout or facilities and we could not shut it off. Our security & fire system is tied into our secondary line and we could not alarm the facility at night or shut the alarm off. So our call was urgent. The rep came out on 6/6/17 but he serviced the wrong line. When we notified the tech of that, he stated he would be back the next day.

6/7/17 came and NO TECH. We contacted Windstream multiple times on 6/7 they stated they had till 6pm to come and should be there. We stated we are only open till 3:30pm and we needed reassurance that a tech would be coming. With great force we stated we wanted to speak to someone other than the customer care rep. We needed to let someone know our issue was urgent. Finally, after going round and round with great frustration the rep stated they would send an urgency ticket with the "Planners". We asked if we could be in contact with the "Planners" they stated NO.

On 6/7 at 3pm we contacted customer care again. Where is the tech and will they be coming? They stated they are in our area until 7pm and should be there and if they are not they will be at our facility 1st thing in the morning. Again we stated we are not secured and this is a serious issue for us please be sure the tech is here 1st thing on 6/8. Thursday, 6/8 we opened at 7am and by 9:00 am NO TECH and NO communication from Windstream. We contacted Windstream at 9:30am and they stated a tech should be there by 6pm. We were furious to say the least! I asked to be contacted with the "planners", the rep stated they won't be in for another 30 minutes. We called back in 30 minutes and rep stated we could not speak with a "planner" and someone should be there by 6pm.

Now at our breaking point we asked to speak to a supervisor. The rep just keep speaking over me and finally we had to scream at the rep to get a supervisor! The Supervisor finally came on the phone and she contacted the "planners" she came back and stated there was a tech in the area working on the line and he should be to our facility to update us in an hour. To keep this email from running on into infinity, the end result it it's now 3 days later and NO tech has come to our facility, the customer care is powerless and there is NO one to contact should you need assistance beyond low level customer care. For a business this is unacceptable. We can endure the inconvenience of a phone line being out of order for a short time. However, it's unexceptionable to leave a telephone line that directly affects our security and fire system vulnerable for 3 days with NO proper communication.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I have been dealing with Windstream for decades (they were Alltel when I signed on). I have them because they are my ONLY option. After over a year of telling them that my modem was defective (I once was an electronic tech and now I work on computers as a hobby) a tech came out and informed me that I had a defective modem. Modem replaced problem solved. Today I was scheduled for a service call. No one showed but the order number was listed as completed. To add insult to injury, my internet speed is a little bit slower today that what I am paying for by contract. After decades, I could write a book.

Original review: May 2, 2017

WHAT IS LESS THAN DISSATISFIED. I have a home in the North GA Mtn, We have Windstream - the worst company ever - I had a cable laying across my yard for over 2 years. I called every month to be told - "It will be buried shortly." - What's shortly - REALLY. Now for the big problem - I called Monday to turn on my cable, telephone and internet from vacation mode to ON - guess what this company had the nerve to tell me - they have so many people signing up because of some promotion that it will take 23 days to turn on an existing customer - THEY DON'T CARE. WINDSTREAM THE COMPANY THAT DOES NOT CARE!!! I feel sorry for the people who answer their phones - how many excuses must they come up with. I pay my bill and NO SERVICE.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I received a opportunity to install high speed in my home in March. So I called and set it up. The soonest they could come was April 2526th. On the 2426th I called early afternoon cause I haven't heard when they were in coming to my home. I work away from home. The lady said she made a note for them to come last to my home at 5 to 5:30. I hurried home and made arrangements for my daughter that was working that night. I waited 1 hour before I finally called. They said the tech tried to call me and I didn't answer and I didn't have voice mail. All false cause my phone is always on me.

Now they rescheduled me to next week but could give me no time. All they say is they can have them call me that morning with a time. I have to let my boss know at least 24 hours in advance notice when I will be gone. So now I have to take a whole day off just so someone can be here. No pay for that day so will they pay for me to be home for them. No they don't care but yet do if their bills is paid. I feel it is poor service and poor communication skills practiced there. I always call back if I don't reach a person on first time. I don't just phone services.

Windstream expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.

• Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.

• Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.

• Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.

• Best for: Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs