Windstream

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had Windstream services for about three years now. For the last year I opted out of my Dish service which was originally bundled with my phone/internet, and tried Kinetic TV through the internet only. It was marginally good at best and the image regularly chopped up as the max speed on our street (infrastructure) was slow. Fast forward to today, and I decided to cancel my service altogether... about three days past the new month’s billing cycle. They don't prorate, so they are going to charge me for the next months' usage even though I had them disconnect the service! FIRST STRIKE against them.

It has been 11 days waiting to receive the return equipment envelopes (or they will charge up to $100 per piece of equipment). WHAT!!! How long should I wait??? So I tried to contact them again today and neither their CHAT function, nor their EMAIL function works!!! So I must now call them. SECOND STRIKE!! When a telecom company can't even get their customer support system to work other than snail mail or phone call... then... the company is done! I will never recommend them to anyone ever again nor use their services ever again. Thank you.

When I contacted Windstream 2 years ago to begin service, they said that I would receive 6mbps. My internet has been slow since I got it, so I called to see how much it would be to upgrade. Meanwhile, my bill went from $45 a month, to $60, to $70, and now $92 a month! They scheduled to have a tech come out after the speed test. Said it was something on their end as to why I wasn't getting the speeds I was promised. The tech was scheduled for a Thursday and showed up on a Monday, when I wasn't home (and I scheduled off for that Thursday).

The tech said that my area isn't even capable of 6mbps, and that they would drop it to 3. So for two years, I've been paying for something I can't even receive. This drop has caused me to not even be able to use my internet because it is so slow. So not only have they been falsely billing for two years, but they raised my bill to a price I cannot even afford. Then this tech calls to follow up to see how my service is going, says she will call the following day to perform another speed test and never did. All they have done is lied to me. I'm done with this company.

Called Windstream 4w ago to try to lower my bill of $79/month for phone with unlimited long distance/caller ID/voicemail. First they said they'd drop it to $65/mon for same service (vs. cable charging <$30 for same thing). Then next day they turned off my long distance. Then told me it would be $50/mon for DSL internet and phone. But would have to wait 2w for activation. Then when I said I needed long distance back since they was their mistake they said they'd do temporary long distance minutes for the 2w.

Then surprised me 2w later saying I'd need to be home from 8-5pm the next day. Never mentioned that before, then said they'd disconnect my cable modem which I'd clearly said not to touch as it was different company and not even connected to their lines. Cancelled new plan completely and now got latest bill which is $6 MORE than original plan and after losing long distance for 5 days last month. Good news is totally cancelled account with Spectrum cable phone now for only $19.99!!! Good riddance to Windstream!

I have reported this to BBB that Windstream charges me differently monthly when I have unlimited service. This company is getting extra money out of customers illegally. Once the BBB got involved it improved but now has gone back. They are ripping people off on their bill and somebody needs to stop this. I hope they go out of business because they do not deserve to be in business.

This company has to go! Problems on and off since April. Takes them 7 days to do anything. Story too long to print here. I hope Mr. Windstream reads the notes on my old account and the new. They didn't bother to tell me about which changed the phone number to my business. No wonder the phone stopped ringing!!! They have no clue!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

I live out in the country so our options are limited with internet. I was with Hughesnet that was a little slow but never lost service for more than an hour unless we lost power. Everyone around here raved about Windstream. OMG what a joke. I pay a fortune for their best internet service. I come home after a week of vacation to find my internet not working. I call first thing Sunday morning to get it fixed. I am told they will have it fixed my Tuesday at 6 pm. I think 48 plus hours is absolutely ridiculous to wait for it to be fixed.

Since I am a remote coworker and work from home 95% of the time I had to waste a vacation day waiting for these people on Monday. I do have an office I go to twice a month but it's 2 1/2 hours from my house, so going into the office until they come is definitely not an option. No call and no show today. I decide to call to find out when they are scheduled to get here. First person says she is going to put me on hold to check the ticket but instead transfers me so I have to go over the whole thing again. This guy tells me that it's listed in their system to be fixed by the 29th... A FULL WEEK??? He then transfers me to another person that does absolutely nothing for me. This person then transfers me to a supervisor that is so condescending and will only speak to my husband because he is on the account. FYI, he's at work so I couldn't put him on the phone.

This company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I get them wanting to speak to my husband since he is on the account but you could have escalated my service call instead of just basically telling me to kiss off. Now I have to sit here and wait for him to get off work to call in and go thru the entire thing all over again and waste his time. What kind of company can expect a paying customer to wait an ENTIRE WEEK to get something fixed that they are paying for. If you have other options of internet service I would suggest checking them out before you even think of considering Windstream. I now get to waste up to a week of vacation time that could have been used to take my kids on a family vacation or to go spend with my family that lives 17 hours away on these useless fools who can't seem to put their customers first.

Over a dozen times per year our phone service goes off for our 2 phone numbers from Windstream. One phone number is home but is connected to my heart monitor. The other is my wife's commercial line that is connected to her credit card machine. When this happens, it takes them up to 2 weeks to repair the lines. Yes, we do have cell phones BUT 1. We are paying for 'land line service' (my heart monitor requires it). 2. The devices NEED land line hook up. When calling for support, you wind up talking to someone from Sri Lanka or India or (Mars??) who is extremely difficult to communicate with. We pay premium prices for very poor support and service.

Windstream has a major characteristic which is Lying and stealing. I signed up with them, they appeared very nice. I used them for only 3 months, I had to quickly disconnect from them before they rip me off completely. They shamefully have hidden fees, they wouldn't tell you of until you see your bill. When you call them to verify, they always come out with one ridiculous and out of the world explanation. They lie about everything, that I begin to wonder if part of the training they give to their workers is teaching them how to lie. They give you an appointment they never keep up with and shamefully without any form of apologies. Service is ridiculously awful, with an out of the world charges.

I advise anyone who cares to listen, run very far from Windstream, I mean very far from them. They after your money, they lie about everything and all things.

I am happy to return to my cable company after giving Windstream a try because I had DirecTV. I pray for them because if they continue like this Hell fire is at their door...

I discovered June 27 that emails sent June 25-27 were never received by recipients though my email program showed the emails were sent. When I contacted Windstream I was told that there had been a problem with their server and they were working to resolve the problem. When I asked how I would know when the problem was resolved, the customer service representative said, "I suppose you will be sent an email." I have not received notification that the problem was resolved nor notification that there was a problem. I am once again very disappointed with Windstream's service and customer service.

I have their 25 Mbps plan. I get 10 at most and usually much less. Sometimes it takes a full minute or two to get a page to load on my laptop. Tech support claims it is my brand new ASUS computer that is the problem. But, the Netflix also crashes on the TV. They also charge me $18 worth of phone fees, and I do not have a phone plan. I have a high speed internet plan only. SCAM! You do not get speed and get charged for a phone regardless. SCAM! We hope MCEC gets out this way, because these people will not fix the problem and lie to you over the phone.

What a nightmare! Submitted a port request on June 5 for two of my three line we have had with Windstream for 19 years! First it was rejected because they didn't like partial ports. We notified them to port the two and keep the third line active. Then they were suppose to port on Friday, June 16th at 3 pm and they did not. Called the following Monday and the claimed they had a preferred customer hold on the phone numbers. I ask the hold be released and they stated it would as of 7 pm that night.

Vonage resubmitted a port request at 8 pm that Monday night. (Forwarded our main number to our new business location. Which going from 3 busy lines to 1 is a disaster for a small animal vet clinic that just moved locations. People tried to call and only got a busy signal due to the phones being tied up from the forwarding to the new Vonage system. Imagine lots of disappointed and angry pet parents when they cannot get in touch of their pet's veterinarian or staff.) Windstream was suppose to respond to said request within 48-72 business hours. Called at the 72 hour point and Windstream had yet to respond. Called Windstream again, you cannot talk directly with their port department as they state it is all handled via email.

No checks and balances or manager to discuss the fact they are not responding to the emails Vonage keeps sending, sometimes three in one day. Here it is June 27, 22 days past the port request and we still have no port date from Windstream. We are paying for three lines when we only get the partial use of one being forwarded to a phone here and lose clients daily. They do not care and I am just astonished at how they treat us and the whole process. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND WINDSTREAM TO ANYONE AND WOULD STRONGLY DISCOURAGE THEIR BUSINESS FOR ANY SERVICES.

I upgrade my service from 6Mbps to 12Mbps. Sadly it was a costly mistake. I can get 12Mbps during the day but at night the speed drops dramatically. Sometimes to less than 3Mbps and NEVER more than 6Mbps. I called today to try and switch my service back to 6Mbps and was told that I would have to pay $30/mo more for less speed because they were applying a $30/mo promotional credit. So I'm stuck paying $65/mo for internet speeds that are worse than some third world countries. I've also made countless calls to tech support. I was told that the lines are saturated at night and I wasn't the only one having that problem. Sadly they don't seem to have any incentive to fix the problem.

I have never been so mad at a company before that I felt compelled to write a review. The short of it is my family owns a small retail business in Metro-Detroit and I have been unable to answer one of my business lines for 3 weeks now because Windstream lost my number and their bureaucracy is so thick no one there can fix this error that they made.

I was originally with PAETEC phone service who was bought by Windstream a number of years ago. In March of 2017 I attempted to transfer my 102 phone DID numbers (we have a bunch of numbers so advertising efforts can be tracked) to new company NexVortex. Windstream refused the porting information because they couldn't find a couple of the numbers on the order. We pushed off the migration until May 17, 2017. NexVortex was extremely frustrated trying to figure out the exact way to configure the port request that Windstream would accept. When we finally port, 3 numbers fail to port. I am using a phone routing system and everyone is logged into the new system and those 3 numbers were still getting sent to the old phone software system. I got call forwarding on 2 of the numbers after arguing with Windstream customer service on and off all day.

One of the numbers I could not call forward because Windstream did not believe it was associated with my account. My IT guy assured me we were getting pings from the Windstream switch for that number and I finally convince Windstream customer service that I own the line by saying, "Call that number right now and you will hear a voice message saying my business name and that we are sorry no one is available to take your call." They "investigate" for a couple days, conclude that I am correct and that THEY lost my number but will add it back to my account. They say they will add it and then send me the porting information so I can get this settled.

I call them a week later and say I'm still waiting on the porting info and the customer service lady has the gall to tell me my order was rejected by some internal team that looked at it because "there was an active order on the number and we can't add a phone number to an account if there is an active order on the number". She had no answer why they didn't think it was important to inform me of this. So now I'm in limbo again while they reopen my request to add MY NUMBER to MY ACCOUNT. I cannot move the number to the new company until they do this and meanwhile I have been unable to answer. I am a business and have been unable to answer one of our phone line for weeks and no one I talk to at Windstream gives a crap.

June 2, 2017 internet went down. Called Windstream and trouble in my area. Service to be back up by the next evening at 8 p.m., and would I like to have a call. Yes. That evening the 3rd my service was back up, but now my phone has static and the sound of one's voice fades in and out. I called them the next morning, Sunday the 4th, and trouble in the area, and the best they could do to get things fixed and or send out a tech would be Tuesday, June 13th. Yes, June 13th. I did find a web-site to communicate with them. They send me questions like - Does your phone have static? Has there been storms in the area? etc. I called my next-door neighbor and she had the same trouble with her internet and phone with Windstream. Her phone did stop all its problems. Currently the static sounds like a jet taking off, neither one of them rings, the answer machine does not work. I can call out but of course the static is still there.

I wrote them just this morning and told them that I was taking off work ALL DAY Tuesday so that I would be here when the tech comes out, and told them to use my cell #. The return call said that unless the tech needed to be here, I would not see him. I replied with "I will be here" so that there is NO EXCUSE for this problem being resolved. I called one of the other providers in my area and their prices are much higher and actually charge an installation fee. I am thinking now that maybe it would be worth it. Oh and I have a new promo package with Windstream, and they tell me that I may or may not have the package that I will be charged if they have to come into my house to fix a problem. I see why they chose the name Windstream. Our service is just being blown down the stream by the wind.

Our phone provider for our business is Windstream. On 6/6/17 we found we had our secondary line had heavy static and we could not receive calls in or out and our alarm system was sounding very loud throughout or facilities and we could not shut it off. Our security & fire system is tied into our secondary line and we could not alarm the facility at night or shut the alarm off. So our call was urgent. The rep came out on 6/6/17 but he serviced the wrong line. When we notified the tech of that, he stated he would be back the next day.

6/7/17 came and NO TECH. We contacted Windstream multiple times on 6/7 they stated they had till 6pm to come and should be there. We stated we are only open till 3:30pm and we needed reassurance that a tech would be coming. With great force we stated we wanted to speak to someone other than the customer care rep. We needed to let someone know our issue was urgent. Finally, after going round and round with great frustration the rep stated they would send an urgency ticket with the "Planners". We asked if we could be in contact with the "Planners" they stated NO.

On 6/7 at 3pm we contacted customer care again. Where is the tech and will they be coming? They stated they are in our area until 7pm and should be there and if they are not they will be at our facility 1st thing in the morning. Again we stated we are not secured and this is a serious issue for us please be sure the tech is here 1st thing on 6/8. Thursday, 6/8 we opened at 7am and by 9:00 am NO TECH and NO communication from Windstream. We contacted Windstream at 9:30am and they stated a tech should be there by 6pm. We were furious to say the least! I asked to be contacted with the "planners", the rep stated they won't be in for another 30 minutes. We called back in 30 minutes and rep stated we could not speak with a "planner" and someone should be there by 6pm.

Now at our breaking point we asked to speak to a supervisor. The rep just keep speaking over me and finally we had to scream at the rep to get a supervisor! The Supervisor finally came on the phone and she contacted the "planners" she came back and stated there was a tech in the area working on the line and he should be to our facility to update us in an hour. To keep this email from running on into infinity, the end result it it's now 3 days later and NO tech has come to our facility, the customer care is powerless and there is NO one to contact should you need assistance beyond low level customer care. For a business this is unacceptable. We can endure the inconvenience of a phone line being out of order for a short time. However, it's unexceptionable to leave a telephone line that directly affects our security and fire system vulnerable for 3 days with NO proper communication.

I have been dealing with Windstream for decades (they were Alltel when I signed on). I have them because they are my ONLY option. After over a year of telling them that my modem was defective (I once was an electronic tech and now I work on computers as a hobby) a tech came out and informed me that I had a defective modem. Modem replaced problem solved. Today I was scheduled for a service call. No one showed but the order number was listed as completed. To add insult to injury, my internet speed is a little bit slower today that what I am paying for by contract. After decades, I could write a book.

WHAT IS LESS THAN DISSATISFIED. I have a home in the North GA Mtn, We have Windstream - the worst company ever - I had a cable laying across my yard for over 2 years. I called every month to be told - "It will be buried shortly." - What's shortly - REALLY. Now for the big problem - I called Monday to turn on my cable, telephone and internet from vacation mode to ON - guess what this company had the nerve to tell me - they have so many people signing up because of some promotion that it will take 23 days to turn on an existing customer - THEY DON'T CARE. WINDSTREAM THE COMPANY THAT DOES NOT CARE!!! I feel sorry for the people who answer their phones - how many excuses must they come up with. I pay my bill and NO SERVICE.

I received a opportunity to install high speed in my home in March. So I called and set it up. The soonest they could come was April 2526th. On the 2426th I called early afternoon cause I haven't heard when they were in coming to my home. I work away from home. The lady said she made a note for them to come last to my home at 5 to 5:30. I hurried home and made arrangements for my daughter that was working that night. I waited 1 hour before I finally called. They said the tech tried to call me and I didn't answer and I didn't have voice mail. All false cause my phone is always on me.

Now they rescheduled me to next week but could give me no time. All they say is they can have them call me that morning with a time. I have to let my boss know at least 24 hours in advance notice when I will be gone. So now I have to take a whole day off just so someone can be here. No pay for that day so will they pay for me to be home for them. No they don't care but yet do if their bills is paid. I feel it is poor service and poor communication skills practiced there. I always call back if I don't reach a person on first time. I don't just phone services.

We have had Windstream Internet for years only because it was the only option available to us. For years we have had issues with internet just randomly dropping and disconnecting as well as the slowest connection speeds since Dial-up. Whenever we call Customer Service we would hear that there was a "latency outage" in our area and this continued for nearly a year before something was done about it. The issues remain but now there is always some kind of "connection fix" or something they can do but it involves more than 1/2 hour on the phone every time to get them to fix issues. I am at a loss as to why these problems cannot be identified and fixed prior to service suffering. I cannot see why we have to pay the full price of something that only works functionally 2/3's of the time. If another carrier comes available I 100% support switching.

We opened up a new business this year and ended up going with Windstream for or telephone and internet service. We didn't want to use them because just to initially set up service took them over a month. They missed 3 appointments with no phone calls to give us a heads up either. When I called in after they missed the last appointment they had no idea what was even going on. I received a bill before my service was ever hooked up, for 190 bucks. And now we've received our 3rd monthly bill from them with $44.93 + $8.73 just in surcharges and fees.

I called them to ask about that and was very rudely told that they had no say over those charges and to call the FCC. So I called the FCC to see what's going on, and they said that all they do is regulate the charges but is in no control over what is actually charged. Very dissatisfied with our service!! If my town had any other options for my location I would take them but unfortunately we don't as of yet. (Except Verizon, which is a whole other story!)

As a nonprofit we operate with a very limited budget and tight funds. Our Windstream bill monthly is $494.97. Includes phone lines and very slow internet service. After reviewing the account and talking to Windstream, we elected to move to Charter at less than $170 per month, 60 megs internet service plus cable for our client's children in the day room.

After 4 unsuccessful attempts to have the lines ported over to Charter, I got involved with their customer service. Come to find out Windstream told Charter that Charter had requested the wrong name. We gave them correct address, correct phone #'s, correct account #. The original #'s belonged to another nonprofit 10 years ago... Yes 10 years ago! We have owned the numbers, paid the bill and the bill comes in our name, with our own account #... a legal nonprofit for 8 years! Why is Windstream being so hard to get along with. Perhaps it's the $989.94 they have made off us in the 2 months this has been going on. Never again Windstream... NEVER!

I recently ordered internet service on my Grandad's home phone account. The agent had no problem signing us up for internet. My grandad is 91 and hard of hearing and battling cancer so I did the talking, he was sitting right beside me the whole time. After receiving the equipment via FedEx and hooking it up, it would not work. We received a bill with charges doubling what the agent said they would be. I called to resolve the issue and cancel the internet service and request a return shipping label and was spoken to very rudely and was hung up on several times. We have never used the equipment, which is boxed up and sitting waiting to be returned. They will not speak to me on behalf of my grandad whose name is on the account. We have been a Windstream home phone customer for years and never expected to be treated this way.

Windstream is the worst type of company. Their company statement is to provide their customers with the best high-speed internet possible, but this a blatant lie. The first few months were fine then afterwards it became awful. They guarantee 6 mb per second speeds which in itself is pretty awful for the $60 dollar a month rate. My internet speed currently sits at about .20. Yes .20 mb per second. What they are doing should be illegal as they are abusing their power as the only internet provider in the area. They are rude and intolerable when it comes to customer service and refuse to fix anything about the awful internet that they are providing. I wish somebody would do something about them as I am at a loss for what to do.

Twice, I have had to contact the FCC regarding fraudulent charges and have had to have them reversed or have my account credited. I contracted with PC MATIC over a year ago for internet protection service, meanwhile WS claims that I had contacted them and request their protection service and have been charged for it for over a year! Lawsuit anyone? I have contacted an attorney and since this has happened twice, I've had it! Anyone remember the Wells Fargo fiasco?

My husband, baby and I live in an apartment complex here in Effingham. Windstream is unfortunately the only internet that is hooked up in our complex. At first everything sounded great! But as it went on... and we have only been using them for a month... it's gotten worse. Our first bill, using the minimum internet possible was $145! Now I understand that we have to pay a 50$ activation fee, which is fine. But that means 12mgbites would be 95$ a month! Online it says it would be less than 70! We are considering not even having internet. It's not worth it. And every time I call with a question I have to call several times because either they can't figure out what I need or I get different answers each time. Only person I like from this company is the girl that came to hook it up. Otherwise horrible service.

When trying to do auto pay girl must have punched in wrong acct. # so when they went to do auto pay it refused to give money to Windstream. They charged me 30.00 and took 5 hours off my life waiting for rep. This company needs more people, but at least I talk onshore instead of asking what 1,000 times.

My father passed away and then my mom. I called to get the service cut off 2 months ago. They didn't cut it off for a month because I was given the wrong fax number to fax his death certificate. So when I called back, I was told I had to pay a month of service on the bill even though no one was there to use it. That wasn't my fault they didn't receive the certificate in time. They made no contact with me concerning this matter. And when I called back the woman on the phone was very rude. Not good customer service at all.

We moved to another home and had to cancel our service. It was cancelled (and confirmed) on December 1, 2016, but we are still getting billed for services that have been cancelled. The entire time we had Windstream we were never late for a bill, etc. Attempts to rectify the situation are just so aggravating. I have spent 2 hours and 20 minutes trying to get this resolved. Never again will I use Windstream for anything.

10 mos. ago, I upgraded my DSL, increasing my bill to $105/mo. Ever since then, either my landline home phone or my internet goes down intermittently for days. I'm so tired of having to call these people and have someone come out to "repair" whatever is wrong with this - only to discover it's down AGAIN. This time: my phone has been out for a month! I've had Windstream for over 10 yrs. and never had this problem until now. WTH, Windstream!

Does anyone have the contact info for the law firm in Al that is handling the complaints concerning the dial up speeds they are selling as DSL? It has taken over 5 years to get a broken connection fixed on the mainline and I have had enough. Thank you for your time.

Compare Home Phone Service