1.39/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 19, 2018

411 Windstream Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 19, 2018

Have had our internet speed forcefully turned down from the 6 Mbps we started with, down to 1.2 Mbps, that they can't even supply from how heavily they have overloaded the lines, and refuse to upgrade the area, when they were promising an upgrade for broadband internet properly out this way for several years, had problems for - over a year - of speed diminishing from the 6 Mbps speed we were paying on our contract, down to sometimes non-existent speeds, until the manager told us "You never should of gotten that speed, you never - could - of gotten that speed, you never - would - of gotten that speed, You're imagining things." And basically told us to shove off or get a different provider, when they are the - only - landline provider in the area, unless you try to do Cell, where we live is a dead zone, or Satellite, this area is insanely expensive for next to no 'allocation' of internet you can use.

I have had my grandfathers health get 'in risk' because of the fact the internet is so unreliable, that the hospital that gave him a home heart monitor - got scared - from how rarely they could get in touch with it, and how unreliable it was, they sent us a 'cell booster' special plugged in thing just so it could get a 'slight' and far more stable cell signal so they could keep up with his health.

Windstream has shown to be unreliable, to lie about the internet being "Working fine" when they have overloaded the lines to the point that we have on multiple occasions gotten speeds - slower - then a 56k modem, and sometimes less than 11Kbps, including times where it just doesn't work from it being unable to get 3Kbps. And yet they keep claiming 'there is nothing wrong' they keep checking the lines, "Nothing is wrong with the lines, everything should be working fine." There is one thing wrong with them, you have put - so many people - on the same internet access line, that you can't support them, even with your 'forceful' restricting of everyone to 1.2 Mbps, you still can't support that most of the time. Windstream, AVOID THEM like the plague unless they are your absolute last option.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Ryusho. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize that your internet performance has not been what you need. We have been making improvements to our network and though we do not have an upgrade that benefits you currently. Please check back periodically to see if any of these improvements would benefit you in the future.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2018

Since the beginning of 2018 I have been trying to get an internet upgrade. My 4 neighbors that I can throw a rock and hit their house all have it. One on the left, One on the right, and two across the road have the upgrade. I have been on the phone with customer service trying to get an answer of why I can't get it even though my neighbors have it and it shows on their computer I am available for it. Was told that an area manager was supposed to contact me. No call, text or email. Was told three days ago that the supervisor of customer service was supposed to call me in 24 to 48 hours. No call, text or email.

I called today and asked about why no call? Customer service doesn't know. I also just found out apparently the upgrade I have been wanting since the first of the year I called and put on hold on April 11???? Why would I want an upgrade and then put it on hold???? I'm at a loss of what to do! What makes it worse is they have sales people call my house and let me know I'm available for an upgrade. One big hassle after another. They should be counting their blessing. They are the only option in my area or nobody that I know would stay with them. Good Luck to guys out there.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Joseph. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize about the issues you have had with upgrading your internet service. I have asked for additional information via private message to assist in this matter. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2018

Terrible, unreliable, awful operating system and service. Customer service is awful and useless. Overpriced totally not worth the expense!!!

Windstream response

Good Morning, Annmarie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We certainly want to make sure that you have an excellent customer service experience. I apologize that has not be the case. I have asked for some additional information via private message to address any pricing and service issues you may have. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: May 25, 2018

Windstream came out and fixed my issue which seems to have been a line in our box that needed to be replaced. They also gave us a new modem and were extremely helpful in person and over the phone (LaToya). I've decided to change my original one star rating to 4 stars, mainly due to the lack of speed options we are available too, if it changes down the road then I'll update this post again.

Original review: May 11, 2018

The service we have received has been absolutely terrible when it comes to the internet portion of our dealings with this company. We have been a customer with them for almost 24 years now. In the last year we had many issues with our previous modem, and decided to upgrade both our modem and our bandwidth package. For about 3 months all was working great, I was no longer having to call almost 3 times a week about constant drops or random outages. But then it happened again, and now here I am calling 3 times in the last two days.

I've noticed a pattern with them when I would call about having no internet, as soon as they would "take a look" it started working perfectly. As soon as the call ended, boom, no internet again. So I call back, different rep, same steps, he "takes a look" and guess what, internet comes back instantly. He goes a step further to send out a tech for the following day. As soon as the phone hangs up, no internet. So I waited for the next day, tech never comes, only calls me saying "I'm at the hub here and I don't seem to be able to find any issues with your connection, I'm going to run a few more test and will call you to let you know what I find."

I never received a callback, and then later that day I lost my internet connection not once, not twice, but three more times. When calling back about this issue I spoke with a rep and explained my situation. He was very helpful and first and then told me that the soonest a tech could come out again wouldn't be for 5 days, I told him that was not acceptable, he then became rude to me saying it was the only service they could offer and so forth. To say I'm unhappy with this company and their service is a very very low understatement. If there was another provider I would switch as quickly as we could, sadly there is no other providers that come to the area. So if you have to deal with Windstream and their "high speed" internet the best advice I can give you is good luck.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Matt . We strive to provide consistent service that meets our customers needs and it appears that we dropped the ball for you. I am so glad that you allowed us to send a technician and repair the inside wire, replace the modem and improve your overall internet performance. If you have any other issues or questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Original review: May 11, 2018

System freezes and pixels take over the screen. Sound goes out all the time. Wireless system can’t handle TVs (2) and laptop at the same time. Customer service has a script that they follow with no results to remedy the problems. Tried this service for a year and will say goodbye this week! Waste of money!

Windstream response

Good Morning, Don. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. We appreciate you allowing us to provide you service and hope that you will give us a chance to fix the issues you are having. I have asked for some additional information via private message. Please review and respond at your earliest convenience.

-LaToya

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 7, 2018

Incredibly poor service -- customer service, phone service, internet quality, multiple and frequent outages -- for the last 7 years (the only option we had!). Cancelled today after finally connecting with a new provider. Agent was argumentative as I repeatedly requested cancellation of service.

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Carrie. I am LaToya and I manage web-based reviews for Windstream. I apologize your customer experience has caused us to lose you as a customer. I have reached out to you via private message about the possibility of speaking with you about your experience. Please review this at your convenience.

Resolution response: May 3, 2018

Windstream corrected my billing issue immediately and I am very pleased with their quick response! Thank you, LaToya and Windstream, for understanding my frustration!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I am a new Windstream customer and just received my first bill. I see that I have Windstream Shield Lite (that I did not sign up for and had already asked to be removed) and an activation fee of $50 that I was not told about in advance. I signed up through DirecTV and was only told of one fee, not two. Windstream should make sure that if DirecTV is speaking on their behalf, they are giving complete information about all fees for all companies involved. This switch from Comcast is supposed to save me money, not break the bank the first month in. And the phone number associated with my account isn’t even mine. I don’t have a home phone. It’s a phone number Windstream assigned me. Does this make sense? I’m not going to remember this random phone number if I need to call and don’t have a bill handy!

Windstream response

Good Afternoon, Lee. It was a pleasure speaking with you today. Thank you for providing us the opportunity to correct the billing on your account. We look forward to providing an excellent customer experience going forward. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

LaToya

Original review: April 4, 2018

On Monday, 3/19/18, we had a storm during the day. When arriving home we discovered that there was no internet. I then noticed that our Modem did not have any lights for data or wifi. After speaking with Windstream tech support, the decision was made that our Modem was damaged from the storm and would need to be replaced. I explained that I would be leaving to go out of town on Thursday and had someone coming to stay at the house, it would be necessary to have the modem shipped overnight so they could have internet over the weekend. The Windstream representative explained that they normally ship within 3 to 5 days. However, since I had been a 20+ year customer, there may be something they could do. I was passed along to a very nice lady that said that they would send the modem out overnight.

It was after 6 on Monday, so she explained that it would go out on Tuesday and I will receive it on Wednesday. I’m afraid that she did nothing after she got me off the phone. Came home Wednesday, 3/21/18, and there was not a modem waiting on me. I called Windstream and asked where my modem was and after at least 30 minutes the representative I was speaking with said that he did see where there was a note that the modem was to be sent out overnight but he could not find any tracking information. I told him that I did not trust that one had been sent and I wanted one sent out. He said that he would need to transfer me over to customer service to make it happen. Then he promptly hung up on me. I tried to call back and was told there would be a least a 15 minute wait to speak to a representative. I hung up and decided that I’d call when my wife and I got to our vacation location.

On Thursday, 3/22/18, I called and spoke to a young lady that could not find ANY record of a modem going out. She placed another overnight order and told me that I would receive an email in just a short time with the tracking number to verify delivery. I received an email at 8:41 PM on Friday 3/23/18 informing me that the modem was shipped FedEx ground and should arrive by the end of the day on Tuesday, 3/27/18. It seems that Windstream has a “tell them whatever they want to hear and get them off the phone” attitude. Then they move onto the next irate customer. I spoke to one of their representatives and 2 managers last night and received multiple apologies and a $26.00 credit for my frustration. Wow. Seems that they lost the book on customer service a long time ago, and, since most of us have nowhere else to go, just don’t care.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Rick, thanks again for providing us with the valuable feedback regarding your experience as our goal is to ensure our customer's have the best experience possible with every interaction. We also appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make this right for you and will certainly follow up with you after your speed upgrade order has been completed. If you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out and we appreciate your business!

-Latoya

Original review: March 30, 2018

I canceled my internet service in September 2017 as I started using my wireless provider. I originally called and they had a service ticket for disconnect on internet only as I was keeping regular phone service. 2 months later I noticed I was still being charged for the internet service. I emailed customer service this time, said I would receive a confirmation email which never happened. I receive February 2018 statement still with internet charges. I call again, get bounced around to different reps and finally when I get someone that can help me I explain the situation and say they will take care of it immediately.

Well they got the internet service charges off now in March, but still billing me for the internet charges of the past and late fees. I told them I was not going to make a payment until they can send me a corrected statement with credit for the past payments and current internet charges to date. Customer service here is terrible as you can see and apparently all about them pocketing money on services not used.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Matt, thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your billing errors. I am happy that we were able to provide a resolution and we appreciate the updated review rating. We strive to ensure our customers are satisfied and appreciate your business!

Original review: March 23, 2018

We have been a Windstream business customer (Voice and Data) for several years (**), and Windstream has been stonewalling a port request (change) to Charter/Spectrum since the first of January. On March 9th at 5 PM Eastern we had IT staff as well as telecom contractors in place for the previously-agreed to switch. Windstream failed to recognize Spectrum's port changes on 4 straight occasions, and now neither our own IT people or Spectrum can get Windstream to respond to our queries. I myself turned in a Trouble ticket for this same complaint 48 hours ago and have not received a call or email from Windstream Support. We have filed a complaint with the TN Public Service Commission as recommended by Counsel, and the next step will be a court filing.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Paul, we have not received the requested information regarding your port request. Please feel free to contact me back directly if you are able to provide this information and we'd be happy to assist. Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to correct this for you as we appreciate your business!

-Andrea

Original review: March 15, 2018 My business had been with Windstream for years. When they messed up our call forwarding and couldn't fix it for months we had to change to another provider.

They changed the system and didn't even know it themselves. They tell us we have an "automatic renewal" contract that they put on our account. When we asked for proof they said they never send you anything telling you under automatic renewal, they just impose it on you. Ultimately they want us to pay for months of service that we don't even use! We never signed a renewal contract but here we are being shafted by Windstream. Multiple calls to resolve the issue and they don't care, they just want free money!

Windstream response

Good afternoon Brian and Diane, thank you for giving us your time and patience in getting this issue resolved. I am happy to see that we have come to a resolution with the assistance of one of our business account specialist. If you have any questions or needs in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: March 8, 2018

Installation services, and customer service is HORRIBLE!!! I waited 5 days to get internet. No tech ever showed up, as a matter of fact when the tech called me he said he had no idea he was supposed to be there, I reschedule, they send another tech out who was an hour and 10 minutes late and didn't bother to call me or nor did I get a text message after I signed up for it. So I missed my appt again, they offered no concession, no accommodations only to reschedule so here I am a Roku T.V. I just bought, I watch Netflix and until I find a provider I will be looking at the walls because this company has poor customer service skills and offers no solutions!!! Very angry!!!

Windstream response

Good afternoon Louise. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and get you the services you requested. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: March 1, 2018

I'm so tired of paying a 109.86 a month for internet and phone. This amount of money is ridiculous and all the little charges add up to about 16 - 17 dollars extra of your bill. My bill starts off with internet being 59.99, tech help? 11.99 Windstream Shield which I do not recall asking for. So after that then add on surcharges and fees then turns into 91.00. Final bill 109.86. ABOUT TO GET RID OF THIS ALL THE WAY AROUND AND LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. Or sit at the library or McDonald's with free wifi.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Shari. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and clarify any billing concerns you may have. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Andrea

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Over the past several years we have had very slow speeds with our internet as well as frequent "drop" out of service completely. This problem became much worse a month ago. Drop of service or totally unusable speeds. We have had to call technical support every single day for 3 weeks straight. They set up a ticket, they send a tech, who explains to us that SQUIRRELS have eaten the wires in a junction box on Cider Press Road. That because there aren't many people on service out here their management will not clear them to replace said squirrel eaten switch box. They even go further to explain that there are "tons" of wires in the box and they just splice them together until they get a connection. This usually will give us under 1mb speed for about a day until a different service tech will try and fix someone else on the line (who was probably knocked off when they fixed me) and then we have nothing or next to nothing again.

I pay $70 a month for this, all the while running my hot spot on my cellphone to get my work done. I have also been told they cannot process a "refund" on downtime until they get the issue fixed. Which according to their technicians will never happen in this area. Their service calls are given to you with an all day window, they can show up from 7am to 5pm. If you aren't home, they will leave. Even though the issue isn't even in my home. It is seriously no exaggeration that every single day we have had to have them out. And they refuse to permanently or satisfactorily fix this issue.

Windstream response

Thank you for speaking with me Brenda. I have provided your feedback to the necessary parties. If you need anything from Windstream in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I don't recommend Windstream for a internet provider if you can avoid it. They have a franchise in our area so if we want internet service we have to use Windstream. The internet speed is terrible & very slow. When I talk to them it's always because a lot of people are using the internet. (At 2:00 AM?) I had my computer checked & it checks out ok, no viruses etc.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Richard, I haven't heard anything back from your since your message in mid-March. We would be happy to attempt to get a resolution for your internet service issues. Please feel free to contact me directly and I'd be happy to assist.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Do not use Windstream!!! Terrible customer service. We ordered new service. We were given no option for an installation day, only an email stating that the technician would be there to install everything the next day. We took off of work and díd not see the technician all day. We called 3 separate times throughout the day and were reassured that the technician would be there soon. The 3rd time that we called we were put on hold for 25 minutes while the customer service rep contacted "dispatch".

Then they finally came back on the line and said terribly sorry the technician does not have enough time to make it to your house today. After telling the rep that rescheduling was not an option for us because we could not take off of work again we were put on hold for another 20 minutes for an authorized supervisor. When the supervisor came on the phone they were rude. They told us that since they missed the appointment that day that they would be willing to come on Saturday as well as take $20 off of our bill.

We reluctantly agreed because it was Thursday and thought we would give them a chance to make it up. We were then told that it takes 2 days to schedule an installation so it would not be that Saturday but could possibly be the next Saturday or the Saturday after. So basically they schedule you then don't show up then try and reschedule you for two weeks later knowing that it was their fault all along. I would hate to see how long it would take for them to show up at our house if we were a customer and our internet quit and we needed a technician to fix it. We will not be using this service ever!

Windstream response
Good afternoon Amy, I wanted to follow up and say THANK YOU for allowing Windstream the opportunity to make this right for you. I am happy we were able to successfully get your services installed and get a technician out a time that was convenient for you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the future if you need assistance and we appreciate your business!

Staff Manager-Windstream-Customer Experience

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I have been a customer of Windstream for several years now. I keep running into problems with their billing department. They have continually skipped a month and then bill me for two months and then of course their customary past due charges. I am constantly out of town and rely on them to email and/or text me my bill. No matter how much I talk with them it continues. I wish I lived where I could connect with a different company. It is most frustrating.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Daniel. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to resolve your billing issues but have not received a response. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

After receiving frequent offers for free upgrade to their fastest Internet speeds I contacted Windstream and asked many questions regarding the "free" upgrade and was assured there would be no charge for the upgrade so I agreed to upgrade service. They came to my house to do the upgrade and I asked the serviceman about charges and he assured me it would indeed be free. At one point he came and told me he would need to drill a hole in the side of my house for this installation. I do NOT want a hole drilled in my house but reluctantly agreed to let him do it.

He did not at any time say there would be a charge for this. When I got the next billing there was a $65 charge for the upgrade. I contacted them and they said it was for drilling into my house and they would not adjust anything on the free installation and said I had to pay the charge. I told them I did not authorize the charge. I authorized a free upgrade. I paid my final bill except for the upgrade charge and canceled Windstream. They keep billing me and are threatening to turn it over to collections. I had their service for 10+ years and always paid my bill on time. Horrible customer service...reps are rude and dismissive of customers.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Wanda. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right but have not received a response. I am sorry to see in your review that you chose to cancel your service. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided as I would still like to look into this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I was supposed to get an upgrade on my wi-fi. No one showed up. Then I received an email saying it needed to be changed to Jan 29. I received a phone call on Jan 28 stating they were confirming Jan 29 from 8:15-12:15. Then today the 29th at 11:15 I received a call stating that the order will be done today at 11:15-3:15. So at 4 pm I called. The First Lady was so rude and said NO it was NEVER scheduled for today it’s TOMORROW!!! WHAT? I waited all day and now it’s tomorrow!!! I am so upset!!! I call back and ask for a supervisor. Shananista said I had to give all my information to verify myself first. It’s simple. I want to talk to a supervisor. RUDE!!! Very frustrating!!! As soon as I am able to I’m canceling Everything!!!

Windstream response

Thank you for your patience regarding your complaint Mrs. Long. It was a pleasure speaking to you today and I sincerely appreciate you giving us the opportunity to make this right for you and to upgrade your broadband speed! We appreciate your feedback and your business.

Staff Manager-Windstream Executive Escalations

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

We pay over $100 a month just for home phone and "high speed Internet". The speeds we are supposed to be getting are 25 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. We are only able to achieve those speeds. If they advertise 25 Mbps down and 1 up, they should at least be able to provide those speeds. When we tried to get 50 Mbps down they said we couldn't get those speeds due to the "wiring" in the apartment. They were built in 2005 and are fairly new. We had to compromise and get 25 megs down. Almost everywhere in the state, even rural areas, are able to get one of the nations top cable operators Mediacom Cable who just rolled out 1 Gig speeds to the whole of their Iowa footprint. But we are stuck with Windstream for now and that is probably not going to change.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Liam. My name is Andrea and I manage our Executive Customer Experience team at Windstream. I have attempted to reach you via private message to get some additional information from you so we can attempt to make this right and get you the speeds you are requesting as we have made substantial investments in our network. Please review your PM at your earliest convenience and feel free to respond to the contact information provided. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Let's just start out by saying that this review took me over a half hour to write because my "High Speed" Windstream internet keeps going out every 10 minutes. I and my parents have had the worst experience with Windstream possible. Besides the constant outages with the internet, the customer "service" has been garbage and drown out to the extreme. We are at the point now where we are switching to Spectrum because they offer triple the internet speed for a lower price. We have a family of 5 and Windstream can only offer us 3mbps they claim for 90$ a month. Spectrum offers us 10mbps for 75$ a month.

As soon as someone in my house goes on Netflix or YouTube someone else in the house gets kicked off the internet or the whole thing just ends up shutting down. For the past 3 hours in my house, I have not been able to play video games with my friends because our router keeps malfunctioning. In the past, our internet has been out for nearly a week and Windstream customer service had the audacity to tell my mom over the phone that "eventually it will come back on, just give it a few days."

I didn't know that an internet and phone provider could cause me such headaches and overall irritation. I personally can't wait to have Spectrum installed as our provider and leave Windstream in the dust. A cup of coffee cost more than their stock does. Sometimes I think to myself that I could plug in my toaster and get a better connection and it's not like we live in the country or anything. We actually only live about 5 minutes from the physical Windstream building in our town. Yet they can’t offer us their premium industry package. Overall all my friends and family have moved on to some other provider. I would never recommend Windstream to anyone ever. They are what we in Ohio call "Garbo".

Windstream response

Good afternoon Christian. We would be happy to attempt to get a resolution for you and your family regarding your internet service issues. We have attempted to reach out to you via private message, however we have not received a response. Please feel free to contact me directly and I'd be happy to assist.

Windstream-Staff Manager-Customer Experience

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

They shut off my modem. I reset it. This happened five times. They said I need a new one now. They just rent them about $10.00 a month. I said "Very well I will change companies." My modem doesn't shut down anymore! Can you guess why! Others in my town are having the same thing.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have Windstream for business phone and internet. This company is the worst telecom company in USA. My main phone line has no dial tone for almost two months. I have called 100 times. They keep saying they are going to send someone to fix it, but no one even called to ask fix the problem. Now I want to port my number to AT&T. They are letting my number to be ported or release it. Do not get internet or phone from this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I placed a web order July 15th, the rate was $50 for internet, modem rental and unlimited phone. Got the first bill, figured it was activation charges, it was $100. Paid it. 2nd bill was also $100, so I called, talked to a Chinetha **, forwarded my email confirmation showing my quote. She said she would have a supervisor call me back. Didn't happen. So I emailed her again, and called her direct line, no reply to either. Called every week for 6 weeks now, no reply. Called main line when I got a disconnect notice, gal said same thing, supervisor will call. Asked for an order or confirmation number or email saying we talked. "I can't do that. Someone will call you." I've paid my $50, this month also, and I get home... disconnected.

Was on the phone with them for an hour today, they said the best they could do would be to give me the rented modem, remove the rental charges for it, (So if it breaks, I'm on my own!) redo my account at $65 including taxes, and I still have to pay the past due balance of $110. (Could not explain that to me, as she said she can't look up anything on my account past 90 days, so could not tell me what happened to my first $100 payment). I asked why my aunt, who literally lives down the street from me, has the same bundle, with more gigs per month, for $65/month, she said she can't tell me what my aunt's plan is, but it's not available on my street. I HAVE to have internet for my son to do his homework on his Chromebook for school, and have to have a landline for my elderly mother. Had to take the deal, REALLY not happy with it. At all.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I first signed up for Windstream and paid there amount they wanted and took a hit on my credit report as a inquiry. Waited for my appointment and they never showed up, Finally gave up fighting with Windstream, but fact is I have a inquiry on my credit report for the lack of doing what was agreed, now I have to wait 2 years for it to drop off. Sadly that's damage to my credit report and hinders me from loans and gives me more high interest on a loan, Very aggravated with Windstream not taking the inquiry off for their mess up.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Filed a report over 24 hours ago on Windstream landline and internet outage after a few hours. Was advised it will be up to 48 hrs before resolution. Contacted Windstream again today and same response that it would be tomorrow before someone is on site. Very frustrated with poor response.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I haven't had service since last Friday! Monday they said I would have a service tech by Wednesday (which was pushing it because we run our business from home). Well, he never came. I called at 4:00 and they said, "No worries. He was still coming." I call at 7:00 and they say he called and no one answered. I have my call log, no one called. She then said her supervisor would call me tonight... he didn't and I still have no service. They feel no accountability and are the worst provider I have ever dealt with. Only person who could talk to me wasn't even in this country!!! Never use Windstream, they are horrible!!!

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2017

Windstream has contacted me, after their investigation they zero'd out my bill. Their response was timely and they expressed how sorry they were for the inconvenience. I only regret was that this could not be solved with my initial call to Windstream business.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Official request to port my phone numbers from Windstream to another company on July 17 with a request to complete by July 28. Windstream would not port my numbers until July 31 (said they were not porting any numbers the week of the 24th). This made me go 2 days into my next billing. I have a $423.56 bill from Windstream for service July 29 - Aug 29. I was told "Too bad, we don't pro-rate." I do not believe I should be responsible for a month of service that I did not receive when it was Windstream that delayed the port, not me! I am not trying to get out of paying for the additional days of actual use.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had Windstream install Internet and Phone on July 6 2017 at a quoted price of $54.92. I asked for a total price that I would be charged on my Monthly Bill and this is what I was Quoted. I also asked for my payment to be taken out of my Bank Account and gave them all my info so I wouldn't have to worry about my Payment.

On Oct 09 2017 my Phone was Disconnected so I called to see why. That said for non-payment of Bill. They said they had no Record of Bank Info. They said they sent paper bills to me. I told them I had not received any Bills. They looked up the address they had been sending the bills and it was a total different address. They said I owed over $400.00 From July 6 to Oct 9. I told them that was not Right and they told me that my bill was over $100.00 a month. I told them that was not what I was quoted and they said it didn't matter that was what I had to Pay. I am Going to cancel my service with them and try somebody else. They were supposed to have someone else to call me back but that has not happened. I think this is the way they get their customers by Quoting one price and charging another when they have their service connected. Poor Customer Service!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Windstream bases their contracts on lies and fraud. They constantly confused us and gave us the run-around. Windstream initially came to my house when I was finishing the build-out in Kennard, Texas. They offered me a bundled deal with Dish Network along with Windstream Phone and High Speed Internet. I was told that the Internet would be finalized in my area within the month and that it would be up and running before we moved in. Each month after that, I had to call Windstream and constantly dispute the bills because they hadn't finished the Internet installation on the corner. 1-year goes by and still no internet. They charged me penalty after penalty time and time again.

My wife and I were always on the phone with customer care and financial services disputing ungodly charges. It became so bad that Dish suggested that we should break away from the bundled package and just pay separately; which we properly did. Even with separate accounts, Windstream continued to pay the Dish bill (as we did) and Windstream subsequently charged us. Although we showed Windstream the Dish bill, we were told that we still had to pay $333. We disputed, Windstream sent to collections, we paid. They had us. We paid way too much for not even having internet, wi-fi, phone, etc. Seems as though it should be illegal for them to promise something that they never delivered and charge us for it. I'm through with them.

Windstream response

Good afternoon Charles. My name is Andrea from Windstream's Executive Escalation's Department. I sincerely apologize you have had to endure such frustrations with Windstream and getting your billing information correct. I would be happy to take a look at your account and see what we can do.

Andrea

Staff Manager- Executive Customer Relations | Windstream

Windstream expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.

• Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.

• Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.

• Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.

• Best for: Windstream is best for anyone interested in VoIP calling and/or those interested in bundling multiple services.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs