Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Windstream is a data network provider with nationwide high-speed internet services. Windstream has multiple plans to fit your internet needs, including unlimited data usage, bundling for internet and television and security add-ons that protect you from viruses and malware.

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Windstream Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you have the option to go through a different provider I would recommend doing so! Windstream internet service is terrible and constantly drops. When you call customer service and they tell you that you're only getting 6mbps they blame it on your wiring inside your home and you need to contact an electrician. Then to top it off I've had service with them for several years. I live in Missouri and they give me an IP address for Iowa! So anyone who plans to get their internet for cable cutting I would not recommend it unless you want to stream tv in another state. Now if you want them to fix that issue so you can watch your local TV channels they can help as long as YOU PAY FOR IT. The only way they are still in business is because other providers haven't branched out to rural areas just yet! This service is not worth $100/month.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Both our landline and internet have been down for 5 days. Windstream’s “support” tells us it will be another day. There are no widespread outages in our area, so why is it taking Almost a week to repair this? We work from home and rely on both. Sure wish we had other options.

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Supposedly I have 100 megs...I don't, it sucks. Do not use Windstream if you have another option. They cannot keep up a good MBPS. They are going to fix mine if it is the last thing I ever do. Don't believe the hype. Choose another provider if possible.

Original review: April 22, 2020

Paid my bill on March 31 2020. The agent on the phone ask me if I wanted auto payment. I told him no thank you. My next bill was due on April 30 2020, however I guess they need a refresher course on how to read a calendar because they withdrew the payment on April 22 2020. I was not expecting this to come out so they made my account negative. Now I have overdraft charges. When I called customer support and asked why they did auto pay when I asked them not to. They interrupted me and told me it wasn't their problem and their agent wouldn't have set it up if I hadn't asked them to. They would look into the situation but they would not put it back in my account.

My wife then called and asked to speak to a manager. Her response to my wife was she wasn't going to speak to a manager and we had set up auto pay. There was nothing to be done about it. She did take my wife's phone number and said she would submit the request however nothing would be done about putting our money back. Horrible customer service. My wife explained that she had been quarantined due to Covid 19 and I was the only one working and the money left in our account that they withdrew was needed to buy food for us. I can't believe they would be so cold hearted during these times. Our bill was not due till April 30 and I would have had a paycheck to pay it on the due date. Shame on Windstream.

Kevin,

I'm very sorry to hear about this latest interaction with us. I would very much like to look into this situation so I can get to the bottom of how this happened and prevent in the future. Please private message me with your account infomation. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: March 7, 2020

I ordered 200Mbps online, only to find out when the tech got there that the order had been placed for 10Mbps instead. He said he would install the fiber anyway and then I would just have to put the order in to upgrade. Now I've been told I need to wait a month for another tech to come out even though I've already got the fiber installed. I can't even call support anymore because I just get redirected to a voicemail for an employee that isn't there. E-mail support let me know that I needed to wait so long because they don't have the facilities to deliver the speed that I'm supposed to be paying for.

Windstream response

Connor, I apologize that the service was not readily available at the time of install. Please email or private message me with your order information so I can escalate this with the local team. Thanks, Maggie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Windstream?

Original review: March 5, 2020

Each call we have made had reoccurring rudeness, attitudes, cut us off in conversation, Arguing, refusal to transfer to a manage. We really like to speak to friendly representatives that help, not argue and be rude. Nothing but problems with the attitude from reps when we call. The managers are more helpful than the reps and a lot clearer and friendlier.

Windstream response

Hi April. I'm really sorry to hear you've had repeatedly negative experiences with our agents. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information and I can see who've all you've interacted with and ensure this doesn't continue happening. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

We have been a Windstream business customer for years. The last time I had an issue I had a field technician dispatched and on site within 48 hours. Now, I have been going back and forth on the phone with "technicians" that I can barely understand and the issue has not been resolved. My first call was Thurs 2/6 and I haven't been able keep track of the number of phone calls there has been. We have encountered this technical issue in the past and it was resolved with one site visit by a technician. I would like to be able to place a call and reach a call center in the United States. I am on the verge of shopping other providers.

Windstream response

Ann, I apologize you've been having ongoing issues with your services. I'd like to help get this issue resolved as quickly as possible. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account info for assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

We are a Physicians office & our service as been spotty for almost 3 weeks now. Circuit down, calls drop, can’t dial out, etc. Patients are either receiving a message that are # is disconnected or no longer in service; try call again or dead air. Hit or miss to get through - is becoming a possible life-threatening issue if patients can’t get our exchange information after hours!!! Have probably lost several new patients & some current patients thinking we have gone out of business! No one is getting us answers!

Windstream response
    Sharon, I'm sorry to hear you've been having continued issues with your service. Please email me at wincanhelp@windstream.com with your account information so I can get someone working to resolve this.

Maggie

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

We hired Windstream to handle getting a new site up and running for us and it was nothing but problems. Cabling done wrong, didn't people being sent out every day to hook up equipment. The wrong switch was installed. When the wrong modem was installed they had a 2nd one put in instead of removing the original one for a new one. The firewall hook up was a disaster and the cost ended up being much more then originally quoted.

Windstream response

Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. I definitely would like to step in and help get this resolved. Please email me at WINCanHelp@windstream.com to discuss further about what can be done to improve this situation. Thank you, Maggie

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

In all our recent attempts to save $$$, we discontinued our landline, except for emergency access (to avoid having to re-set-up autodraft. That was done Jan 8th, 10 days before end of billing cycle. Yet, they just auto drafted entire previous billing rate. They won't pro-rate, because they are a month to month company. But, when we terminated dated landline service, we were told that we'd save $55 per month. Note that they have a well-known monopoly here with no other service providers. So, we're stuck! I feel robbed of this month's potential savings, if only 10 days. Why are we doing all possible to save money?... Recent overwhelming medical expenses. Don't ask them for help!

Windstream response

Perry, I'm really sorry that the timeline caused this confusion. Your bill had most likely already printed from the previous services as that is automatic. I can check things out to ensure everything is correct. Please email me at WINCanHelp@windstream.com or private message with your account details for additional assistance. Thank you, Maggie

Windstream author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2006 Windstream Telecommunications is a publically traded company with headquarters in Little Rock, Ark. They provide Internet, television and home phone services. Customers receive a discount when they bundle multiple services. Not all services are available in all areas. They currently have residential services in 18 states.

• Live chat: Customers with questions or problems can use the Windstream website’s live chat feature. Representatives are available from 9:00am to 9:00pm on weekdays.

• Extra features: Windstream offers caller ID, call forwarding and call waiting. Voicemail services are available for an additional monthly fee.

• Lifetime Price Guarantee: The Lifetime Price Guarantee Plan will remain the same price for as long as the customer has phone service with Windstream. This plan includes unlimited long distance calls.

• Online guide: Home phone customers can download the Feature & Information Guide. It has directions for using extra features, troubleshooting advice and helpful tips.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team