AT&T Home Phone Service

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been a loyal AT&T customer since 2004. I was solicited to begin a digital life services while purchasing my second Apple Watch. I agreed. The service was installed and worked okay until all the security equipment caused the socket it was plugged into to malfunction. I informed AT&T Digital Life that my security system was not working because the socket stopped working. They expected me to continue to pay despite the issues. I suggested that they send someone out to move it to another area. Instead the situation has lingered and resulted in a $782.15 debt. It was beyond my control that the socket stopped powering the system.

I can't believe AT&T expected me to pay for a service that wasn't working; potentially because of their equipment. I can't believe the nonchalant attitude Chrisan and the other 4 representatives I spoke to displayed. I was on hold 30 plus minutes on a over hour long conversation. I know that there is something that can be done. This ruthless attitude is unacceptable. I plan to seek furthest assistance. They should have suspended the service until the electrical problems were dealt with by moving the system. Now I am stuck with all this equipment, electrical problems and a $782.15. But I am expected to maintain my loyalty.

I own a business account and has one phone line with AT&T. It has been many years... Recently I am closing down my business, so I don't need the phone line anymore, called AT&T to cancel the service. They said, the termination fee is $120, because the phone is auto renew every year, and if you don't accept auto renew, they won't provide the service... I paid one line for $57 every month, it's not cheap, now I want to cancel it, it's more fee to pay? It is the worst company. I agree to pay what I use, but this is not fair, when I cut off the phone line has to pay termination fee? They are ridiculous, surprised they have all of awful reviews, and still survive… I will try not to use anything from AT&T in the future! No more AT&T!!!

Thankfully I switch to Cox a few months ago for internet because my home phone from AT&T is down again and they won't fix it till Wednesday. A whole week to send someone out - what kind of service is that. It is in their equipment but I am so tired of this problem. We called Cox to get their phone and they will be out Monday so I will be canceling my home phone with AT&T which isn't working anyhow but get to keep my same number.

It is hard to describe just how bad AT&T/DIRECTV billing is. Some time ago, we terminated. We sent a check to cover our cancellation fee. They CASHED THE CHECK. Now they have sent the bill to a collections company for the same amount! If they don't resolve immediately, I am taking legal action. Their product is OK but their billing is absolutely the worst.

So it all started with one day they decided to come in and install an internet line. We then some how had 4 internet lines on our account on two different bills. When I called them I was transferred 14 times and even to another state's AT&T and they asked how the heck I got there. Finally I got to the right department and spoke to a supervisor and they told me "Oh we will merge the accounts and cancel the excess lines along with credit you the amount back." I waited for that to happen and nothing was happening so I decided to cancel their service entirely.

Fast forward 2 months and I get a bill from them saying it will be sent to collection for past due and I called. I get transferred 5 times all to the wrong departments again and no one can answer my question and all they can tell me is "Oh we just checked and that credit to your account was denied." I asked them "Why did you not tell me sooner? Why was it denied and who decided to come in and install the additional lines then?" They could not tell me who requested it or why they decided to come out there and install extra lines to charge us for it.

Story short: Tried to figure out why we had two separate bills with 4 internet lines and 2 phone lines. Found out they started an additional account without any request from us and just started billing us. We asked for a credit and they agreed to it and they sent it for final approvals. The credit got denied and they never told us about it nor why it was denied. The bill then ended up being sent to collection.

If love to spend 13 hours on the phone with the company and be transferred 14+ times in 1 day without any resolution, then this is the company for you. If not you are better off looking for another company because AT&T is by far the worse company with the worse customer service. Hell, I even read that if you complain to their CEO they will take legal actions on you. Now that there is a red flag that the company even knows what they are doing is wrong but they don't care they only want your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Over the weekend, our Internet stopped working. Considering I have a book due in a few days, I was really frustrated! I am so grateful I received an amazing Customer Service rep for area 46280 on the phone! I apologize for the spelling, I should have asked... I think his name was Kannon or Cannon? Thank you AT&T for stepping up your Customer Service! Previously we never had any problems with Customer Service. I just felt the service was average. After experiencing zero call hold, multiple options for help with my complaint and great customer service, our Business will always use AT&T!

If I could leave no stars that would be better. Worst company ever. They tell you they need to put you on hold to review your account. Meanwhile the stupid ** kept me on hold for 45 minutes till they closed and never returned. That's how they want to conduct business!!!!! 5 ** calls today and the issue still is not resolved. What kind of ** morons do you people have working for you??? Like really do your job and help the customers, you take enough ** money and rip us off, the least you can do is talk to us when we call, not place us on hold and pretend you're doing work. When really you're watching the ** clock tick till it's time for the phone lines to close while I'm over here looking like an ** thinking you scumbags are actually trying to help. This place and the people that work for AT&T are worthless!!! I'm surprised this business is still functioning with the amount of stupidity from at&t customers services!!!

My husband signed up for the bundle deal which was supposed to be $89.99 a month for two years last 10/19/16 and was billed around that level for Dec, Jan, Feb...then in March they started billing us $133, $144 etc, for the next months. I called at least 20 times to correct this and each time they said they would and to not pay a portion over the amount...then they started adding late charges and even shut off my phone service and DirecTV service. Again, after another 10 or so calls it was reinstated but I had to pay the $279 back charges. Most of it was reimbursed, but then I started receiving two bills - one from DirecTV and one from AT&T which is more than the 89.99. Now it is June 2017 and my husband took it over and it's still wrong and there is no place to go to straighten it out only call centers that do not work to fix the problem. So stay away from AT &T deals. They're a pack of lies.

Overcharging - March 24, 2017, I called in to inquire about adding another line of service and change our data from 5gb to 10gb. Made the appropriate arrangements, put a phone number on hold and until my husband could go in to the store in person to have them set up a new account on a phone that we owned outright. Went into the store that evening, and found out our account was all messed up. Supposedly got it straightened out. Then on March 30, 2017, I discovered the amount they were charging me was wrong. So I called in and spoke with an AT&T call rep and began to figure out all of the problems. They had me behind on my bill for every month and it wasn't. How could my daughter and I have upgraded if my bill was behind. Everyone knows you cannot upgrade if you are in arrears.

They were also were charging me more than what was quoted to me. I was being charged for insurance where I never asked for it, got a credit for that and some other credits which brought my bill balance down. Supposedly got everything worked out and was told my bill each month would be less than what it was with only 3 lines instead of 4. The next bill was said to ignore since there would be some pro rating on it where we changed the account mid month. After that, would be what my bill would be normally.

The next month was close, a little cheaper than I was told, so I didn't complain. Then the next month, my bill went up considerably... like almost $100! I called in to see what was going on and spent 3 hours on the phone with two women. They tried sidetracking me from the fact that my account was being overcharged. I had kept all of my texts and emails about payments. I was told 4 different amounts on what my normal bill was. One was $218, the other was $246 and then the next was $223. When I asked how they came up with these amounts, and why there was such a price discrepancy, I never got any answers. Nothing was resolved. Then I call in again requesting to speak with a manager. They didn't want to transfer me and tried to speak to me about my account. I asked again to speak to a manager. Finally, I was connected to Josh and started to explain my dilemma. Then I was hung up on.

I then called back, this time I was told they couldn't transfer me since they didn't have the capabilities to do so. Then the lady proceeded to ask me to talk to her about my problems. I said, "no thanks", that I wanted to speak to a manager. She said "ok," and then transferred me (funny how she said originally they didn't have those capabilities but then did). Finally a woman said "Hello, how can I help you." I asked if she were a manager and she hung up on me. I then called back, and got the automated system telling me after I entered in my number that the call centers were closed. I then called back and used one of our other line numbers and got right through. I tried it again on my number, and was told the call centers were closed. My husband recorded it and was witness to it.

That's when I called Sprint, asked if they were buying out contracts and they said "yes." Then I called back to see how much was left on two phones we had just upgraded to back in January. Had the same issue about the call center being closed but then used one of the other numbers and got right through. I was asked if I had any issues right from the beginning of the call rather than "how may I help you". I knew right then they were all in on whatever they were trying to do. I said "no, I just wanted to know the amount we owed on two of our phones." He then gave me an amount. I said "thank you," then he started acting weird, saying "yes, yes, yes" and proceeded to then tell me that since we've made payments on the phones, that we actually owed less. He told me that what he gave me was the retail amount. Umm, did I ask for the retail amount?

Then he gave me what we actually owed (supposedly). He then asked what were my issues. I never said one thing about any issues. I just requested the amount we owed on the two phones. I said "no problems, thank you so much", hung up and went to Sprint and became a new customer with them. Long story short, they have no record of the amount the woman gave me on March 30, but my bill showed it but then increased and they had the nerve to tell me I paid a partial payment. I've always paid my bill statement and what it says to pay. Never have made a partial payment ever... How would I ever be able to and keep service? Makes no sense! I am done with this company who has had a lawsuit against them for overcharging their customers and lost. They're still doing it! Their customer service is a total joke.

We bought a cabin for which we needed a landline because the cell service is spotty. When we set it up with AT&T we told them to send the bill to our home address because there is no mail delivery to the cabin address. A month later we called them to inquire about the bill and were told that the payment is late. We explained to them that they messed up because we never received the bill. Reagan promised us a $60.00 refund. We did not see that on the next bill and called again. Arthur assured us that things will be taken care of. Next bill arrived, no refund. I just called and was told that the refund was denied. I don't care about the refund but communicate people. That's your business. Incompetence all around. Sorry that I need that landline.

Just decided to go with AT&T U-Verse digital phone linked to my DirecTV acct. Previously I had a standard line phone through AT&T. First thing I check was that my number would be Portable. They checked and assured me it was. After 3 days of waiting, I called today to see why it hadn't changed yet. After talking to a person who supposedly was working with a tech, finally told me it was all but done and they just needed to have me answer some questions for security reasons. They put me on hold for this person. 30 min & 3 people later, I finally demanded to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor checked & told me that my phone number was not available to move. That is 2 maybe 3 people that lied to me about moving my phone line. All the supervisor could say was that he started an investigation as to why I was told it could move. I told him that did not help me and they were losing my business. Sorry guys, you just cant trust what they say, and obviously selling is more important than truth.

My mother is 84 years old. My father passed away in Feb. My mother just wants to have my father’s name taken off the billing on the AT&T account. My father was an employee for AT&T for 35 years. He retired with them, and had benefits with AT&T. They told her she would be without service for 2 weeks and they have to change the equipment, then she has to send the old equipment back to AT&T even when the technician was there to install the new equipment. She has a Life Alert pendant and being without phone service for that long was not an option. She called several numbers and no help. She would get people that talked with such a heavy accent it was very hard to understand. She would ask for a supervisor and get nobody. Very disappointed in AT&T in that they do not support former employees and their families. Will not use them again.

On April 11- 2017 AT&T disconnected my home phone service without warning. MY bill was due on the 2nd. When I called them, the explanation was because I had a late bill in February. That bill had been paid as well as the one in May. The first 3 times I attempted to speak with them was via online chat. Each time when I got to the part of the conversation where the person with AT&T realized my phone should have not been disconnected the person would stop typing and the chat would be dropped. This happened 3 times. Finally I called the company from my cell phone the next day. After being transferred to three differ people. I was told that I would not be charged a reconnect fee. However they could not provide that in writing.

The lady I was speaking to also went ahead and told me the call was not being recorded but she assured me there would be a note in my account. Today when I got the following month's bill I was charged a reconnect fee. Again I called the company and was transferred to 3 different people and placed on hold 15 minutes. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told they could not waive the reconnect fee. I asked if she could see any notes on my account. She said she couldn't, but strangely she was able to see the name of the people I had talked to. I asked her to speak with the person listed that I spoke with. She put me on hold. She came back within 2 minutes and said she had reviewed the notes on my account and spoke with the person. She said the other lady did not agree to waive the fee. I asked to speak to her supervisor and was told there was not any one in the office higher than her. She did offer to have corporate call me within 24-48 hours.

For 25+ years I've had trouble-free landline phone service via "Southern Bell" and "Bell South", it was then taken over by AT&T. I asked AT&T to up-grade my internet service from DSL to their U-Verse. On July 7th, 2014 a AT&T's tech. came to my home and as requested upgraded my internet service. AND without my knowledge nor permission, the same tech switched (aka STOLE!) my "landline" to "VOI" (Voice over Internet). During the next several months, till Oct 27th, 2014 I was frequently lied to! As AT&T switched my home phone service from one of their service plans to another (Jerked around), I was CHARGED FEES for unwanted services on unwanted phone plans... Approx $330.00.

Losing my "land line" meant I lost phone service whenever the electric power went out. (Frequent storms, including hurricanes, equipment failures. misc & etc.) From the day I lost my landline, my home security system was unable to call my security monitoring center as it was unable to connect via VOI. At the time, I was 79 years old. Having a number of health issues I needed reliable 2-way communications with the outside world. What I didn't need was the aggravation AT&T dealt me during those three months! I felt AT&T was giving me UNRELIABLE service, thus switched to another carrier ASAPracticable!

I disconnected my phone July 2016. I kept receiving bills with outstanding balance for three months. Finally in for the months of Nov/Dec the bills had stopped. In January 2017 I received another outstanding balance for Nov/Dec. I called AT&T and was told it was an outstanding balance again! I explained to them that I canceled my account in July of 2016. I also requested for AT&T to double check if my phone service was even canceled. The rep for AT&T explained to me that she couldn't even get into my account because my account had been canceled, however I needed to pay the outstanding balance.

TODAY as of April 2017 I received another outstanding balance. I called AT&T and the rep for AT&T explained to me that there is NO evidence of me calling in and canceling phone service with them and I would be sent to collections if my bill wasn't paid. I told the AT&T rep that I canceled in July 2016 and double checked January 2017 and was told my account had been canceled. He explained to me that YES I did call in January to pay the bill and was unable to provide AT&T rep with account information. I explained to him that if AT&T was able to collect my money then AT&T was able to get into my account. He further explained to me that it was two different departments. So, I have decided to file a complaint with the PUC.

Spoke with "Patricia" at AT&T Customer Service on February 1, 2017, asked for service to be disconnect immediately. She said it'd be done THAT DAY and AT&T would send a FINAL Bill out in a couple of days. I received a Bill (NOT the Final Bill) approximately 6 weeks later (billing date 3/13/17) on 3/27/17 with a PAST DUE FEE. Spoke with "Melvin" at AT&T Customer Service on 3/28/17 ~10:31am and he said that AT&T would reduce the FINAL BILL to $19.96 and it should be available for payment the next day. After several days of trying to login to the AT&T site the person in the "CHAT" said I would have to wait for a paper bill which I should get in a couple of weeks!?

Today, 3/3/17, I've "Chat" with Kim **, who got "Katie" to call me (~4:26pm) after I was told the bill was not adjusted by AT&T's Melvin after he swore he would. "Katie" said she needed to transfer me to someone who could "help". I'm STILL waiting on the muzak to stop and someone to answer the phone. Someone on AT&T side of the line just hung up the phone, without answering, after being on hold for approx. 50 minutes! Does this "Company" need money this bad that treat a customer this badly?!? Consumer Affairs should have negative numbers for ratings! I will NEVER do business with AT&T again and I intend to Twitter/Facebook this issue to others as well!!!

I am a unemployed senior with adverse medical issues receiving food benefits from a government funded "lifeline" service on my bare bones analog Wired service by AT&T giving me a $18.50 discount off my overpriced service so I can afford $20.20 a month to keep my phone. 4 months ago AT&T advertisement on tv offered $10.00 internet access over my phone line for low income families receiving food benefits (which I am). It took AT&T - 6 applications and 4 MONTHs of aggravation, resending applications they lost, misfiled or couldn't read to finally get my application approved and my internet running via my phone line. I just paid my internet 2 month bill at $10.00 a month when I received a notice from AT&T that they no longer would be providing low income families with a $18.50 lifeline credit (just in WI- nowhere else!).

AT&T has a MONOPOLY - on the wired analog service here in Milwaukee, WI. Which means there is no other companies that can give me service. I DO NOT want a "free cell phone" with my number and do NOT want wireless service. As my internet AT&T provided after 3 months of grueling harassment to get will NOT work with wireless or cell phone. I filed a complaint with FCC - #** who contacted Annette ** of AT&T at 1877 677 3215 ** office of the President who blew me off regarding my complaint and couldn't even tell me if my internet would still work without a landline service! She gave me Frontier phone number which I already called who verified they did NOT provide service in my area because AT&T is a monopoly.

I'm frustrated, stressed out and can not afford to pay full price service for AT&T home phone service and feel abused AT&T takes money from government to install internet to low income families then turns around to pull the rug out from under them for profit. Ms ** would not do a thing for me but add to my stress and frustration. She couldn't even tell me how to keep my $10.00 internet without my phone service. I simply can not afford at&t service without help. She was unapologetic, rude and unavailable and refused to give me the numbers of resellers that rent AT&T lines to offer to public at discount - Northwestern said they used to do that, but AT&T jacked up their price so bad they could no longer resell it at discount. Company Greed while taking government money that's all it is.

For over a year I have filed complaints with ATT regarding "unblockable", excessive, offensive and often content dangerous, incoming Spam mail. Each complaint was disregarded. Each complaint was "lost"... with each subsequent phone call revealing that there was no record of the previous complaint. After much research, and a confession by a Yahoo representative... I learned that the Yahoo "address blocking" function on ATT email accounts had been disabled, via ATT demand.

I also learned that the SOURCE of these emails was actually tied to ATT itself, via a "pay to solicit" program through an ATT service identified as ATTCustomerCare@emaildl.att-mail.com. These emails include such charming items as an explicit solicitation for erection supplements... a solicitation for "Asian ladies"... a solicitation for 'bedroom' products... a solicitation for "pain control" supplements... and a solicitation regarding methods by which you may CURE your Diabetes. Obviously, this presents a true danger, to real Diabetics.

These examples are in addition to the hundreds of other unsolicited trash, which arrive daily - in batches of 20 to 50. Eventually, ATT provided with 3 email addresses - and instructed me to forward the emails to those addresses. Despite doing this... the flow of garbage was not only NOT REDUCED... BUT ACTUALLY ACCELERATED. NOW, THOSE "FORWARDS" ARE BEING BLOCKED BY ATT/ YAHOO... and I have now received emails telling me not to send forwarding/reporting them. Adjusting "privacy settings" does NOTHING to stop the flow of this garbage. The ATT website continues to refer customers to the steps to take in order to "block" offensive email addresses, when in truth, this email tool has been disabled.

Filing complaints does NOTHING to stop the flow of this garbage. One ATT agent suggested that I actually reply to these emails and "unsubscribe". I pointed out that using links/replying to unsolicited emails is inviting "account hacking". I also pointed out that I should not be required to "unsubscribe" from trash that I never "SUBSCRIBED TO" in the first place. I ordered them to "unsubscribe" all of my email addresses from ATT's "pay to solicit" program. This abuse needs to be addressed and this company required to obtain an "Opt-In" from the customer, before anyone can avail themselves of the use of customer's email addresses. It has already been investigated and verified that this issue IS NOT virus related, NOR have my email addresses been collected by means of "pages visited". I have retained every one of these emails... along with each 'forwarded' copy.

When I finally asked ATT Rep directly about this "pay to solicit" program... coupled with the presence of a "dismantled" blocking function; the Rep stated that she was "unable to either confirm or deny" that information. I replied, "That would indicate that the accusation is true... since you would have been instructed to absolutely deny such a statement IF it were false." She laughed... and said, "No comment". The public needs to act on this matter. It is no wonder that "hacking" is becoming rampant... YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER ENCOURAGES IT BY ITS OWN BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Update 04/05/2017: This is an update to the complaint that was filed on 2/22/17. The complaint is related to the receipt of large volumes of inappropriate Spam mail coming from the "sender address" of "ATTCustomerCare@emaildl.att-mail.com" - many of which arrive with MY NAME on them. While AT&T denies that this material is coming from them (claiming that the domain of @emaildl.att-mail.com had been "phished")... it is important to note that their ONLINE BILLING STATEMENTS, also come from THE SAME "@emaildl.att-mail.com" Sender address domain. It is also important to note that the "blocking tools" within the affected email program have been disabled, prohibiting the customer from blocking this particular/other related email addresses.

After 14 months of attempting to work with AT&T's phone assistants to stop this flow... and with the issue continuing to be unresolved... and after the company was unable to provide any repair/replacement of the provided "Spam blocking" tools... I filed a formal complaint with the Atlanta Better Business Bureau. I was contacted by the Office of the AT&T's President. After weeks of excuses from this office, the problem was totally unresolved. The Office of the President FINALLY simply stated that they could not do anything about the matter, and announced that they were closing the complaint, as "resolved".

THIS PROBLEM WAS NEVER RESOLVED, NOR DID I CONSENT TO THE CLOSING OF THE COMPLAINT. This office attached a $50, one-time credit to my account, as compensation for "the inconvenience". The "inconvenience" continues, unabated. During the entire time that I was communicating with this office, I was never afforded the services of a qualified "remote access" AT&T technician who could actually view these emails directly. I was never afforded any direct contact with a "remote access" Yahoo technician, who could have likewise directly viewed this material. I was never provided with an upgraded/repaired Spam blocking tool.

I REPEATEDLY REQUESTED THAT THESE STEPS BE TAKEN... AND WAS REPEATEDLY REBUFFED, WITHOUT EXPLANATION. Now, this same gentleman, logged in to the Yahoo portal, viewed this mail and stated that he was "taking screenshots" of the offending mail. Apparently, that was not enough for his technical staff to follow up on - and yet, no technician ever contacted me and did the same thing! Instead, the AT&T office gentleman claimed that, despite the fact that AT&T had told me to "forward" these emails to them... that the "forwarding" of these emails to such technicians was insufficient for their review needs...

AND despite the fact that HE had viewed/screenshot captured them... that this was insufficient for their investigative needs, and so he wanted me to download the Spam mail onto my P.C. hard drive and then send it to the same AT&T department addresses, as an email attachment. I was advised, by an outside source, that this "direct download" process was patently UNSAFE, and NOT to do this. I advised the gentleman of this outside advice, and he responded, by forcibly closing the complaint.

NO UPGRADED/REPAIRED SPAM BLOCKING TOOL WAS EVER PROVIDED AND THE OFFENSIVE MAIL CONTINUES TO ARRIVE, TO THIS DAY. What is interesting, is that the volume of this offensive material (coming directly from the AT&TCustomerCare address) has slowed down slightly... BUT with the identical emails are now arriving from different "Sender" addresses... which cannot be blocked either. In the end, the Atlanta Better Business Bureau stated that they could not do any more to facilitate a resolution - claiming that I had "no new evidence".

Customers need to be aware of this situation. They need to be aware of the complete lack of AT&T ownership of the problem... and of a total disregard for customer privacy and personal data use. I remain convinced - as both I and an AT&T service investigator were told by Yahoo - that this is part of a "pay AT&T to solicit AT&T customers" solicitation program, and that Yahoo is therefore contractually unable to "block" the "@emaildl.att-mail.com" address. It appears that these "low end" advertisers submit their advertisements to AT&T, who in turn, sends those advertisements to the AT&T customers - thus avoiding the customer's claim that their email address/ personal information has been "shared" with an outsider. I have turned this matter over to a "outside interested party" for ongoing monitoring and potential action.

They are crooks and their customer service dept is a joke!!! Countless times over the past year my bill has randomly changed... higher, of course! Every time I try to resolve this repeating occurrence, it takes well over an hour speaking with various reps!!! Last month I was told one thing... this month it all changed! To top that off, two calls today were mysteriously "dropped". Seriously??? There is no professionalism and these people DO NOT VALUE THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

Worst company ever!!! Do NOT do business with them. They take your money by overcharging you without explaining details. Customer service is the worst. They don't know anything about helping you as if they don't care. Do not switch over to this phone company. DirecTV made biggest mistake letting AT&T merge with them. AT&T is nothing but a scam and loves to collect your money and overcharge you. This company shouldn't be open. I hate AT&T and will be switching to another company ASAP. I repeat don't do business with these losers. They take your money and overcharge you for everything. The customer service is ** and doesn't help you out. I can't believe a company like this one will drain you dry for your money. And not only that they put it on your credit. I hate I even switched to company. They are piss poor with their service and nothing but scams.

I've been with AT&T for several years. I have never had my service interrupted. I have several devices and some I finance, so my bill is a little high. I have no issue with that. The problem I recently experienced with AT&T was upgrading my device online and through mail. I will never do it again after this, and I would advising you to do the same. If it weren't for the devices I currently have financed I would have left AT&T in a heartbeat! I saw an add that mentioned that if I upgraded from my LG V10 to the LG V20 I could get free headphones valued at $175 free and a $200 credit towards my bill but only if I pre-ordered. The incentive definitely caught my eye especially since I was unable to purchase a Samsung Note 7 with all the issues it had. I placed my order and received my phone not long after. I attempted to activate the phone and had issues and went to a local store nearby for help.

Long story short, turns out I just needed a new SIM card. I went home packed up my old device to ship it back. Prior to returning the device, I made sure to inspect it and followed all the rules that were sent to me (i.e. Back cover was on, battery included, no cracks in the screen, deactivated find my phone, phone turned on/off.. etc) I actually hadn't had that device for a long time because I was having issues with a previous LG V10 and was given a refurbished model. My phone was in tiptop shape because it was always in a case and had a tempted glass screen protector. I shipped off my old device and kept receiving emails and text messages that my old device had not been received. I called customer service and she advised me to wait a few more days since there is a process. To my surprise a few days later I got an email stating the device was returned damaged and was only valued at... $18!

Because I was on the next program I was being held accountable for $261.99. I never was given details as to why it was considered damaged and they refused to return the phone to me. I called customer service and was bounced from department to department only to have not one resolution. I regret not taking pictures prior to shipping out the phone because honestly who takes pictures of their phones. I would not intentionally send a phone knowing it was useless. I also regret not just going back to local store and just turning it in. I'm now stuck with the fee on top of my already high bill. If something happened in transit I should NOT be held responsible. I feel set up, I think it's odd that I wasn't given detailed information about what they claimed was damaged and with having to pay the fee for the phone why is it not being sent back to me? If I were you and was looking for a new carrier I would avoid AT&T all together.

Today I received for the first time in my life a bill from a collection agency. It was from AT&T. I notified the AT&T today that I received no bills from them after I closed my account 8 months ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone being sent from one representative to another over and over. I was explaining to them that I did not receive a bill from them and THEY explained to me that they sent one out in March (8months ago!). They stated that was the only mailing they sent to me. I NEVER remember receiving this bill. Today I found out about having a balance due on this closed account as THEY CONTACTED THE CREDIT BUREAU.

I feel that they have very unfair business practices. I have always taken such great pride in having a high credit score and yes, I believe it was only affected by 5 points but still I think this is horrible business practices and I will NEVER use this company again. They refused to remove it from collections EVEN though they admitted only contacting me one time 8 months ago. (I had gone into the store to make that last payment when I closed the account I thought. Customers need to be aware when they close their account and to make sure and verify that all has been paid. I thought that I did.)

I had no connection on my landline. I was scheduled for an evening appointment between 4 and 8 pm. I called 5 times up until 9 pm. I repeated the complaint to each operator, a supervisor and finally a manager. They would only give first names and no ID number. No one ever showed for my appointment. The manager said I would be priority the following morning between 8 am - 12 pm. No one showed up the following morning. Again I had to speak to a supervisor who again reschedule for 1-4 pm. I asked for the number to the corporate office no one knew the number including the supervisors and managers. I am done with AT&T. I will be acquiring another service. AT&T needs to be investigated. They do not care about their customers and their customer's time. It's sad what they are getting away with.

My family has been with AT&T off and on for the last 30 years. My father really likes AT&T... till now. For the last few months, where we live, we've had off and on service from AT&T. Sometimes the service would go out for 12 hours at a time. Sometimes 2 or 3 days. When we would call they would say that they were having issues in our area and that they would take the money off the bill. We had some issues with our bill - admittedly we were behind but we thought we'd caught up. Fast forward to October we get a bill from AT&T for $847 and change. Asking me questions because we knew that we owed them money so it's best we could We Gather the money and paid them off, within days of the bill that we got it was paid. The service was not restored. We assumed that it was one of the outages because they were frequent. When it became apparent that they had disconnected the service we went to Comcast.

Comcast said that they could not Port the number because it was disconnected. So we called AT&T and ask them to release the number. A week and a half of calling AT&T and talking to people in the Philippines I'm getting a different story every time we talk to someone. Finally I spoke to a gentleman named Marco who was very gracious and gave me a confirmation number that AT&T would take care of the issue within 24 hours. A week later nothing is done. I called and talked to them and they said "oh it's because the ticket was sent out with a 2 week date on it." The person said he fixed it and it would take 24 hours for it to be ready. I called Comcast this morning and still it wasn't done. I called AT&T again and they're telling me that they're going to charge me over $100 to reconnect their service in order to have it active so that the number can be ported by Comcast.

Bear in mind we don't owe them any money. Bear in mind that we did not ask them to disconnect the service. We've had this number for over 30 years with people all over the world having the number and now we're going to have to lose that number because AT&T doesn't really give a rat's behind about their customers. Decency counts for nothing with this company.

UPDATED ON 11/24/2016: This is an update from previous review of AT&T. After AT&T cancelled our home phone service, they also cancelled our TV service. We had AT&T U-verse and because the service had been going in and out since July we went to the store and one of the representatives recommended that we use DirecTV. The representative told us that DirecTV was a separate company from AT&T even though it was under the same umbrella. We got a separate DirecTV bill and we assumed that even though they were under the same umbrella we're dealing with two different companies. Be aware that you are not!

When AT&T cancelled our service they cancelled DirecTV service also. Even though the bill for DirecTV was not connected to the bill for AT&T. We did not cancel DirecTV - AT&T cancelled DirecTV. Yesterday we got a bill from DirecTV saying that we had an early cancellation charge of over $400. When I called to find out why when we didn't cancel the service, they said AT&T cancelled the service and so they were charging US the early termination fee. The representative they said the only way that they could reverse the cancellation fee was if we re-established service with them once again paying all the installation fees that came with the original bill. That even though we did not want the service cancelled and AT&T cancelled it we still have to pay to reverse what AT&T did.

The representative was the first person I spoke to and what I said to her that we couldn't afford to pay that kind of money for a service that was wrongfully taken away by AT&T, she referred me to their billing department in the Philippines. I was very polite when I told David the representative that the way I appreciated his work he couldn't help me and I hung up. I decided that I did not want to speak to someone in the Philippines because as in the first review -where we were begging AT&T to give us back our number- I learned that if AT&T sends you abroad it's because they're not going to do anything at all to help. They send you there because they don't want the American Representatives to receive the brunt of any ones displeasure with them.

As to our 30 yr old telephone number which AT&T took away, I called AT&T and ask them to put an addendum on their message (which told everybody that our new number was unavailable) that gave the new number that we had been given. The representative said they would be able to do it in a couple of days. A week goes by and in that week my mother goes into the hospital. Our relatives and friends are calling and they can't get through because there's no number. They start calling everybody else in the family who had our cell numbers. This turns into a virtual circus because people are calling - this one calling that one trying to get through.

I called AT&T to find out why they haven't followed through with what they said they were going to do. Because now this is a week later. I spoke to representative who said to me he had no idea why I was transferred to him because he was in the technical department and he had nothing to do with those outgoing messages. In a voice that was tightly controlled and I do admit dripping with rage I told him that my family could not get through because AT&T did not follow through once again. I told him I was sitting at my mother's bedside in the hospital and I needed this matter to be resolved.

If you recall the previous representative said that it could not be done in under two days. This young man, apparently NOT an AT&T company man, got the job done in half an hour. I don't think I have ever been so disillusioned by the company as I am but AT&T. For company with such a long history it's kind of pathetic to see how badly they treat customers. I guess once you've reached the top of where you want to be there's nothing to do but the step on the little man.

My MIL moved from an senior living apartment to a nursing home across the street. All she has asked for is her phone service to be moved. On 10/27/16 I conducted an online chat with Suzanne **. I provided all of the information to her. She said that this was in process and they would call me back to verify. No call back. On 11/1/16 I talked with Neil. Provided all of the information again. Neil stated his system was down, and he would have to call me back No call back (this will start to seem familiar). On 11/2/16 I talked with Darlene at 12:30 pm. I repeated the information, she seemed to understand what I wanted, said she needed to talk to technical, put me on hold, and then disconnected me (btw, you cannot call back to that individual, of course).

I then called back and talked to Pao, who said that his system was down and would need to call back. Same chorus, no call back, though I did tell him I did not believe I would get a call back, and he very solemnly assured me that he would! Hah! On 11/4/16 at 9:30 am, I talked to Jaffs (sp?) who proceeded to tell me that after I provided all of the information again, (don't they have notes in their system?) that he needed to transfer me to technical support. Mari in technical support answered, I explained briefly what I was trying to do, and she put me on hold to look up my information. I was on hold so long that I was moved back into the customer support queue, where I got Al.

When Al asked that I repeat all of the same information again (each person assuring me that they would be the one to correct my issues) I told him that I wanted to speak to a supervisor as I was no longer confident that they knew how to operate their phone system. He continued to argue with me that I needed to provide all of the same information before he could send me to a supervisor. I admit that this is where I lost my cool. I told him I was not going to go through this again until I talked to a supervisor, and that he had a choice to make, he could either transfer me to a supervisor or he could hang up, but I was through banging my head against the wall. He then told me that there were no supervisors available to take my call as they were all on the phone helping other customers. He of course would take my phone number and someone would (you guessed it!) call me back.

I then tried a customer service line in Dallas in the hopes of registering a complaint. By this time, I had calmed down. I talked to Katherine (she could absolutely fix this!) but she can't even find my account in the system. She then transfers me to another woman (I didn't get her name) who upon learning that this was about a landline, couldn't help me as she only worked on Uverse. She transferred me to Martin who could not help because he is only in the Southwest not Illinois, who transferred me to an automated repair line. Like that would help! I really am at an impasse as my mother in law suits in a nursing home, and wonders whether she will ever be able to talk to her family again!

This company has got to have THE WORST customer service EVER!!! Got new service to our cabin that we go to 2 times a year and which has limited access - meaning you can only get there by boat - no roads. So we get a time slot of 4 hours and have to go sit at dock and wait for technician who is 3 hours late! Finally get it done and last week I start thinking - "Hey, we've never received a bill" - call in to their customer service - got disconnected 3 times - then had someone help me that had zero clue what they should be doing! Lucky me!

Over an hour later I find out the number was just disconnected and the mailing address they had was the service address of the cabin which isn't even the cabin address! Are you seriously kidding me??? I gave ALL the information to the gal I talked to when setting up the service. Really? How hard is it to put the information in the computer? If I could use another service I would - but unfortunately they have me by the you know what's because they are the only company offering service to this area. What a joke!

I signed up for AT&T basic home phone service on May 20th, 2016. I was told by the representative that my bill would be around 67 dollars a month. I get my first bill for 195.07 and find out they didn't have my local and long distance setup as the agreed unlimited plan. I called and the customer service guy said he fixed it and credited my bill for the charges incurred due to the mistake. I went to pay my bill 2 weeks later and notice the amount is not what he said. I called back again, this customer service guy says he fixed it and gives me a new bill amount.

I immediately went to pay that amount, but found it still not changed. By this time I received the next month's bill for 584.00. Still not corrected. I called them 5 different times and they would not get it correct. Finally I told them to cancel the account, and now they want me to pay them over 450 dollars as a balance due on the account. If they can't hold to their agreement then why should I pay this. I wouldn't mind paying a fair settlement, but for 2 1/2 months of basic phone service this is horrible.

I ordered my service on October 16th 2016. I ordered cable TV services as well as porting my number from Time Warner Cable landline over to AT&T phone service. My cable TV services were hooked up correctly. My landline is still not working. I spoke with a representative who stated that their employee made a mistake and left out a verification step. Upon completing this step they told me my service would be restored by 6 p.m. that day. I made a switch to DirecTV and AT&T phone service believing that their service would be better and that I would receive customer satisfaction. However I am not satisfied as a customer who's waited over a week to get my landline restored after they have already dug up my previous landline and I'm still waiting for someone to come out to Port the number over.

The representatives did not offer any help to get my service activated. All I was told was to wait another week and they could do nothing else for me. I'm a new customer and within my first week of service. I'm already having issues trying to get something resolved that their employee told me will be resolved and now the next day it cannot be resolved, just wait another week. Because of their error I now have to wait another week before service is restored on my landline. I have an elderly parent in the house and having a phone is a necessity to her health. Had I known that if it was an error with their service and they would not be willing to fix their error within a reasonable amount of time I would not have ever made the switch to this service. This does not meet customer satisfaction whatsoever.

I have recently scheduled a AT&T technician to come install the new service, and they asked me to wait between 8am to 6 p.m. on Saturday, there was no show, no call...and I wasted the whole day. I called their technical support, which of course took forever too, I finally talked to someone, and they apologized. Said they will come on Sunday between 8am-12pm, and will call me first thing in the morning. And again, no show, no call...what the ** is wrong with this company???

AT&T baits you with a low Promo Rate then switches after a year (rates doubled). When you call for info or service, you have to talk to somebody in a foreign Country that you cannot understand, they switch you from Dept. to Dept. or they hang up on you. After a wild fire in 2003 we were without a landline for about a month. The telephone pole that supports our phone line is still needing replacement (it is totally burnt and ready to snap). That was 13 years ago.

Today I had a repairman show up to repair inside wiring (no dial tone). I was told I do not have Wire Pro, which I do have. It's on my phone bill every month, I pay extra for it. The repair man told me to buy some cordless phones and left. I called AT&T to find out what's going on with my account and repairs after the repairman left my home. So far it's been two hours and about seven different AT&T agents. They still don't have an answer. AT&T SUCKS. Thanks to Pres. Bill Clinton all we get to talk to is foreign Countries because of NAFTA. Time to find a new Country.

Compare Home Phone Service