1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

987 AT&T Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I have been on the phone at least now at least 8 hrs going back and forth with Customer Service. I have no service since the 3rd of Oct, today is the 11th. Every single time is a new excuse... Well it’s been now 11 days without home service. They even gave me a case number **. I don’t why bother to give a case number since NOTHING is being done to fix the problem here in Eagle Hammond in East Orlando... Do yourself a favor. Do not use AT&T Home Service. This is the second time in a few month it has happen. First time 5 days and Now 11 days. AT&T SUCKS!??

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I called AT&T customer service on Oct 9 at about 1130 am Pacific time, at tel # 800-331-0500 to request a new number for my unlisted landline in California. I was transferred to someone on the other side of the world whom I could hardly hear, although he was polite and doing his best. I was on the phone on hold, off and on, for more than 30 minutes. After I had accepted the new phone number that I was offered, the rep explained that AT&T was having a problem and he could not complete the process. I asked how long it would take and he did not know how much longer I may be kept on hold. I asked to speak to a supervisor, to find out more about it, but a supervisor was not available.

I asked if my existing number had not yet been canceled and since it had not, I decided to retain that number for now, as I would otherwise apparently be on the phone for 'several hours' possibly. Waiting for AT&T to solve whatever problem it was, that prevented my order from being processed. This was a simple request that previously last year, had taken a matter of minutes to complete. I am very disappointed in AT&T as the call was a complete waste of time, mine and the rep's, as it was not his fault.

Get expert buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

87 year old Mother moving down the hall. And I am told she can't get her phone turned on for 4 days after she moves. I was told no one would have to come out, AT&T would just need to switch it on and she should be good to go! REALLY. 87 years old who if she needs to get ahold of me will need to go to the front desk of her facility to contact me! UGH!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We are moving and requested ATT transfer our current service to our new residence. The customer service rep gave me a confirmation number, date service would be transferred, and the new telephone number since we were moving out of the same city. On the date scheduled, they did not show up. When I called, after an hour of being passed from department to department, they admitted they had somehow deleted or lost the order and would have to initiate a new one.

They then wanted to do a hard credit check before they would place the new order, even though I had been a customer for six years! I was not worried about them running a credit check, just the fact that they "had" to when I was a customer already. If they had transferred the phone as originally asked, we would not be in this predicament. By the time I emphatically stressed that they messed up the order and this needed to be done immediately, they said their system would only allow them to proceed in this manner. I am waiting for a supervisor to call me "sometime tonight." I personally feel this is a scam on their part to pitch new services but make sure an unsuspecting customer could afford them. I am appalled at their total lack of customer service and their inability to solve a problem they made. This is the worst customer service I have experienced and that says a lot!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We have been waiting FIVE DAYS NOW for AT&T to come repair our phone service. We are a business! We need our phones, we are losing money every day, WHY are you not living up to our contract with you?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We have 4 regular phone lines used for fax machines. We have had these lines for years. AT&T changed these lines to a program called complete link three years ago. Same price, they said this was the program for these lines and to keep cost down. Fast forward two years later and we get a bill for 4 times the normal amount of $39 per line. They said that our contract expired (what contract) and they want us to sign another contract or pay $145 per line. Oh, and they retro the bill back three months so our normal $200 bill came in at $1700.00. I called and tried to get resolved. Their answer was, "Sign a two-year contract and we will adjust your bill."

So grossly overcharging for POTS lines to force a contract. I think this is unethical and terrible business practice. We are canceling our service with them not just here in Indiana but Nationwide due to their business practice! Not to mention whenever there have been issues the customer service is horrible! We will have to pay these overcharges but they will lose a lot of business in return.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I've been having problems with my phone and internet service for around 4 years. After calling hundreds of times I get someone to come out when the problem fixes itself. It a water issue. They say it's fixed. Leave and when it rains again it happens again. I go through the same steps again. I truly don't believe they know what they're doing. Pay good money for a screwed up service. If I can find another phone company I will switch.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My 83 year old aunt was signed up for California Lifeline through AT&T. When filling out her renewal application she made a mistake and was denied renewal. I told her I would help her try to resolve the error. That was in April. I have contacted AT&T numerous times, spending hours on the phone either on hold or being transferred to another department. I have requested a new California Lifeline application three times. Three times I was told they would mail her another application. We never received a new application. AT&T was telling me I had to go through California Lifeline. California Lifeline told me I had to go through AT&T. Each time I requested an application I was on the phone with AT&T and California Lifeline for at least one hour and up to three hours (the last time I called).

The last time I called I expressed my frustration to California Lifeline. I was told that this is a common complaint with AT&T. They told me to tell AT&T the situation was urgent and I needed the application right away. I did that and AT&T agreed to send the application. We never received it. After four months of getting nowhere, I gave up. My aunt switched phone providers. She was paying AT&T 36.22 a month and she is now paying Suddenlink $10.00 a month. If AT&T is not going to honor California Lifeline they should not offer it. What a scam.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

My landline went out on a Friday morning; I called AT&T and spoke with technical support; they told me that a repair technician would have to come to my home to repair the problem; however they could not get a technician to my home until Tuesday afternoon. Therefore I now have to go 5 days without a landline. The AT&T representative told me that if I was a business customer; the repairs could be done that day or definitely the next day, I thought it was horrible for him to tell me this! So the bottomline is that AT&T does not care about the ordinary consumer; just business customers and I guess that is because businesses pay more for telephone service than the ordinary customer does. VERY BAD!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

My 92 yo mother has AT&T phone and tv. The tv stopped getting a signal. After calling and going through the robot it was reset. This happened 3-4 times. Then tv worked but phone went out. We called and went through robot to reset the phone. Phone went out again the next day. This pattern continued 4-5 times. Finally got smart and said “agent” every time robot asked a question. Talked to very sympathetic agent who scheduled a technician. He came and showed her how to unplug router and plug back in. She is legally blind and cannot see to do that. Phone went out next day. Neighbor unplugged/plugged it in. Worked a couple of days. Called today. They reset it remotely. Said we need to reset it once a month. Don’t know why we are paying for this but she can’t learn to use cell phone at her age and being blind.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I recently change my phone service and added 2 lines. In the process of doing this I was charged over 400 dollars in fees and surcharges. I have been with this service for almost 20 years and learned that they don't care about their customers or appreciate them. Whatever you do don't use AT&T's phone service.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I called to cancel installation of new service 24 hr in advance and was told appt cancelled. Next day I wasn't home and installer showed up and stupid landlord let him in and now service activated. I tried to call 800 2882020 to cancel but was transferred around and around and they hung up on me, etc. Too hard to cancel! They better not bill me! Landlord will have to pay.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Upon moving to Florida in 2008 we signed up for three landlines with the AT&T monopoly. One for my wife, one for me and one for faxes. In January 2017 called AT&T and cancelled our fax line since its use has diminished with PDFs and scans. Asked again in November 2017. Talked with Jordan in January who agreed to make the change. Or so he promised. Cindy said the same thing last November.

Despite several follow up requests to cancel, we are still being bill for three lines! AT&T has stopped the fax service however they continue to bill us. Lest you think I haven’t been as diligent fighting them you are correct. In February 2017, one month after cancelling the fax line, I fell and broke my hip. A hospital stay and long recovery period followed. Then my wife had foot surgery and I was helping her in daily activities so most of 2017 was not a typical year.

Will try once more on Monday to stop the charges and receive credit for past months. In looking at their bills they are very confusing and not at all transparent. Bill does not say how many lines and they no longer list the phone numbers for which they are charging you. Advice to all, please carefully read your bill and review it with a rep to be sure you understand their charges. As for obtaining a credit, have no advice other than caveat emptor since they don’t stop charging even if they agree to and even if they stop the service. Will give them one more chance before mercilessly hitting social media!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

We have been 6 days without phone or internet service. I have been told every day that a repair person will come to our home. One day, I waited from 12 noon until 8 pm OUTSIDE so as not to miss them. All I had was a cell that only could be used outside because of the large trees in our wooded neighborhood. We are only 30 minutes from the city that dispatches the repair people. AT&T PROMISED by text messages that they would be here. They never arrived, and what is most unprofessional is that no one bothered to communicate with us, unless we inquired about the status. I would wager that AT&T cleverly use their repair units to service homes CLOSER to the dispatch station because this will utilize more quotas and profits.

They train their customer service to be a sweet and highly apologetic, but they will not efficiently facilitate any repair service for you ultimately. My husband also called and got the same song and dance, AT&T cares nothing for the customer now. It’s sadly all about profit and quotas. I hope this review will caution prospective AT&T customers to seriously consider the competition. After 40 years with them, we will have to make a change, To date. We still have not had a repair person show up, although they keep promising to...

Resolution response: July 26, 2018

Update to AT & T after complaining and writing The BBB, The Attorney General, Ohio Public Utility Commission and Writing to Consumer Affairs. And 3 days and many hours of being on the phone with them. AT& T Presidents Office contacted me to resolve the issue with what they did an allowed to happen on my account. They have resolved the issue and credited my account in full. So when a company does you wrong do not allow them to get away with it and tell you there is nothing they can do. First of all there is a lot that can be done. I did not owe what they said I did and I told them I was going to fight this because even as a big company they still have to follow the laws of your state.

Original review: July 26, 2018

AT&T allowed someone to access my account and ran a credit card twice with that the consent of the cardholder or me the account holder. I have a pin set up on my account because this phone (wireless landline) was being used for an 82 year old woman in a nursing home. Now they are charging me fees for something they allowed. I gave no one consent to access my account and run any payments.

They are charging me 121.61 more over the bill. Be careful with this company. The claim it is legal to allow access to your account, and run payments without verifying who they are talking to or ask for the pin. But yet their website states they are secure and I would of had to set them up to access my account which I did not. I have had to cancel the service and file complaints with the BBB the Attorney General and PUCO.

Their Customer Service department is rude and think they know the law. They refuse to reverse anything even after I told them no one had permission to access my account and run anything. Their website states. "Review security options for your AT&T accounts. Learn about the account settings you can change to guard against unauthorized access to your account online, in store, or by phone" They allow access by Phone. Without my permission.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My AT&T home phone service has been out (with short respites) since June 26 due to a lightning strike. Tech came out (after 1 week) and "fixed" it, then problem reoccurred. Service comes and goes... On for a couple of hours then back out again. All I hear is a strong AC buzz and no dial tone. People calling in hear it ring and ring but my home phone never rings. Can't get the tech back to work the problem. AT&T's problem reporting system is a joke (at best). Calling the residential help # 1-877-737-2478 which keeps you on hold for 5-10 minutes then automatically rolls to a Spanish language announcement. Problem report originally showed an "expected date" of solution of July 9 now the "expected date" of solution is July 25!

If I had ANY alternative to AT&T in my area I'd use it but they're the only game in town. I've tried chatting with "support". I'm fairly certain I was chatting with a 'bot'. Only got vague, generic responses to my questions. Never addressed the problem directly. I only have a wired home phone because I live in an extremely rural area and cell service is "iffy". I need a reliable service for 911 access. The FCC/FTC should look into AT&T's abject and (in my humble opinion) willful failure as a public carrier.

Original review: July 3, 2018

My mother lost her phone service twice in last couple of months which also impacts her lifeline service. The first time the wait time for repair was 7 days - this time it is 9 days. My aunt lost her service last week and it took 7 days for the service technician. Try to call AT&T and you get nothing but automated system - called 8 times to try and talk with an agent and when I finally got someone he told me he would direct my call to the repair service - asked if I would be talking with a person and he said "absolutely" - was directed right back to automated system.

Unbelievable that this is how AT&T takes care of customers and their equipment. My mother and aunt are both in their 90s, do not have cell phones - nor at their age will they learn to use one and are on the lifeline systems - have mentioned this to AT&T that to have their communication cut off for this long is not appropriate and each time was met with "there is nothing we can do about getting the repair set up earlier". They want customers but really could care less about them. Looking for alternatives to this poorly run company.

Original review: June 4, 2018

We visited the store to discuss our bill. We were told by Josh "we can save you $100.00 a month". We said fine and signed up. Technician came to house and said he couldn't hook up what we signed up for because "it wasn't available". Now we have a different TV service provider and old DSL internet. We are being charged $50.00/month approx for a "home" phone line we neither need or use! Store manager Amy told me "well that's the way it is". Basically, we went to AT&T store and bought service that they can't provide. Time to give up AT&T altogether, phones, internet and TV!

Original review: May 31, 2018

In December of 2016 we got a visit from two door-to-door ATT reps. They promised us a two year deal with "No Price Increases" a price lock for the length of the contract. Do not believe them as our service went up. I called to ask them why and could not get an honest straight answer from them. We bundled internet and Directv to save money but when we got the bill there was little savings to be had. I cancelled the internet portion because the network would not work with our surveillance system and they did waive the early termination fee which was appreciated.

Needless to say the problems with them just kept occurring. I was told that I could get a 650 dollar payout to change to their wireless service and a BOGO on a Galaxy 9 but when I got to the ATT store they looked at us as if we had lost our minds. We went with T-Mobile and they are an honest company who do what they promise. Our contract with them is up in December of 2018. I will cancel and return equipment at that time.

Original review: May 23, 2018

A salesman came to my home at the same time a repair tech came and convinced me that changing to the wireless home phone would be beneficial. No drawbacks. However, after I received it I found that I lost all the phone features. He also said if I wanted to change back I could as long as I did it within 2 weeks and I wouldn't be charged anything. So I changed back only to find I was charged an activation fee. They would not waive it, meaning they would not honor their salesman's lie. This is very typical of AT&T. They lie, They thieve and they don't even offer the superior service. I personally am going to look into Xfinity.

Original review: May 15, 2018

We have not been able to use the landline for the last 3 yrs. About 2-3 yrs ago, we had called service dept and they have sent 3-4 technicians who had checked if the problem comes from our other phones. They found out it did not. Then they said it was caused by our alarm system. We had the ADT come and they checked and said it is not fr the alarm system- in fact it is now connected via cell rather than thru the landline. Finally, they sent the supervisor who said it was caused by the cable that runs from our house to the pole across the street. Temporarily they did something which reduced the humming sound but after a few months, it got louder.

They said they need to change the cable which means digging up the street so it has to be subcontracted out. That was 3 yrs ago. I have sent an email a year or more ago but no reply. We can't use the landline because both parties can't hear anything except the loud humming. Even our voicemail is indecipherable. I would rate NO STAR if possible... if not for the fact that only landline works in case of storms when cell phones don't work and also that the 911 works better with the landline, we would have left ATT. This is the most horrible service I have ever encountered.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I moved to a new home Jan 12 1918, canceled my service and got Uverse. DirecTV didn't cancel old home and when I called they said their mistake and credited my account. My AT&T internet was on my DirecTV bill which was $49.00 a month. DirecTV sent me a zero balance on my account, but AT&T sent me to collections for over $600.00, I have tried to fix this to no avail, I am a disabled senior and no one can tell me why I owe this awful amount. I had a contract with DirecTV not AT&T, I have no options but to take them to small claims dept and sue for stress and this awful ding on my great credit.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Perhaps some of you remember the AT&T (a.k.a. Ma Bell, back in the day) slogan "Reach out and touch someone?" Well, just as that slogan appears to be long gone, perhaps so is AT&T's desire to have callers reach one another using their products! I tried to reach a business number and twice got 'rapid busy' signals and then the typical canned recording to "check the number and dial again." Given the understanding that the number should be a valid working number, I thought to dial AT&T to have the place a call to verify the number. The first barrier was just in trying to pick the correct option when you dial O for operator. I wanted to find out how much it would cost for an operator to verify a number.

Long story short, after being routed to 3 different people in 3 different departments, and BACK to sales again (that happens to double and masquerade as customer service), I got two different answers as to whether they could even provide that service anymore! I even spoke with one young lady (with a thick foreign accent) who didn't seem to immediately grasp what the concepts of a "rapid busy signal" and recorded 'out of service' message are! The tech line said they couldn't place a call, but tried to look up information on the number only to say that they had no information!

After experiencing all this back and forth and their passing the buck in oblivious ignorance at AT&T, I realize that AT&T probably no longer feels it is responsible for completed calls. The idea of 'service' from that company has become more and more narrow over recent decades. So, it's no longer about being helped to 'reach out and touch someone,' but about their intention to 'reach out and grab' your wallet! Why else would they not have a dedicated customer service department and instead take requests for help through sales and 'new service'? What a shame for what used to be a pretty decent company.

Original review: April 21, 2018

How's your Urdu? If you are up to date with your Urdu language lessons you will be the lucky recipient of the meanings of the cacophonous collective background chatter, i.e. before you get cut off when trying to get the simple "How do I block out of area calls on the landline" question, answered, i.e. after you've jumped through several hoops just to get to hear whatever is happening where most of the folks seem to be speaking Urdu. Voice in my head speaks: "For this I'm paying 120 clams/month?"

Original review: April 15, 2018

Called AT&T for repair service when home phone landline went dead at 9:30 pm Saturday night 4/14/18. Could not reach a live person. Was told by automated system to call "during normal business hours" (which it did not state.) Filed a trouble report on-line (after much trouble trying to do so.). Trouble report confirmation says technician will come out by 4/23/18... that's 9 DAYS! TERRIBLE SERVICE!!!

Original review: April 1, 2018

Our home phone number was erroneously cancelled on 3/19 by someone at ATT. We have had this phone number for over 25 years and is tied to all our personal accounts. We spent 3 hours on the phone being transferred, hung up on, rerouted to other departments and we still do not have our phone number back. We were informed Sprint has the number. It took 3 hours to get someone there that knew what they were doing (May is her name) to but in a package to retrieve the number back from Sprint.

It gets better, an hour later someone calls from ATT and asks us for our Sprint account number. We have never ever had Sprint. Oh my goodness, do these people even know what they are doing. So either ATT mistakenly cancelled the number or someone hacked into this account and cancelled our home phone number only. Sounds fishy like ATT messed up. What has happened to honesty in this country. If you make a mistake, own up to do it and fix what you did or make amends.

Original review: March 28, 2018

After years of mistaken billing and poor service I disconnected all service with AT&T in mid 2017. So why would a service representative from AT&T enter my crawl space (I live in a duplex) to wire someone else's unit! Because they do not know what they are doing. Exterior grounds are common area - not crawl spaces and basements. They illegally trespassed, did damage to my insulation, drilled unnecessary holes and refuse to admit they are wrong. I'll wait a bit longer to hopefully get to someone who actually knows what they are doing. My spring cleaning will consist of repairing the insulation and removing any wires not attached to my unit.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Last year I purchased a new home and was connected to an AT&T representative when purchasing my homeowners insurance. Because I was interested in internet. The rep convinced me that it would be cheaper if bundled a landline than with internet alone. So I agreed to pay $65.00 for both services. A week or so later DirecTV reps came knocking on my door. They agreed to cancel my phone service and bundle the internet and satellite tv for $70.00/month. Perfect. Except then I receive a bill from AT&T for $115.00 and a bill from DirecTV for $95. Neither of those amounts are what I agreed to. I tried to get the bill resolved through both companies but received the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Basically one sales rep would hear my problem, promise to connect me with someone who could help. Then either transfer me to another sales rep, or just flat out hang up on me.

At this point I am l have wasted hours of my time trying to fix someone else's mistake. Highly frustrating. When no one from either company could explain why I was being billed twice for the same service, I decided I would not do business with a company that cannot honor the contract I signed. The representative who cancelled my service agreed to waive the cancellation fee. I did not agree to pay $600 to cancel a service that I had for 2 months and was dissatisfied with... Had I known it was going to cost me $600 dollars I never would have agreed to cancel. I was lied to on more than one occasion by representatives of both AT&T and DirecTV. When I offered to sign back up to waive the fee, they were happy to offer me packages to sign back up, but the current balance still stands.

Original review: March 17, 2018

AT&T home phone landline customer for past 12 years. Signed up to add DirecTV & internet. AT&T disconnected home phone landline without consulting me.

Have spent the last 15 days trying to get home phone landline re-established. Have talked to AT&T reps in US, Philippines, India, Florida & San Diego, CA -- no resolution to re-establishing landline. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE from customer reps, salespeople and supervisors - including Ken on 3.14.2018 in Miami FL, Shawn (Agent #**), Dwayne (#**) and many, many others -- STILL NO RESOLUTION!!! REQUESTING IMMEDIATE HELP FROM SOMEONE, PLEASE!!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

AT&T does not care about the elderly! They gave my 91-year-aunt a 72 hour wait period to fix her phone. She has limited mobility, takes tons of medication and had no other way to contact the outside world. Their response was they will give her a call if someone cancels their appointment. How??? She has no phone!!! I'm thinking these push button life saving alerts only work if you have a working phone. How can someone pay their bill on time every month for years and can't rely on their services? Shame on AT&T.

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. Consumers who bundle two or more services receive discounts.

• U-verse Voice: Consumers in select locations can subscribe to U-verse Voice, a digital home phone service that makes calls using an Internet connection. The service is available in over 20 states.

• Traditional service: AT&T offers traditional landlines in most locations throughout the United States. Options include local and nationwide plans. Rates vary by location.

• Extra features: Customers can add several features to their phone service, including three-way calling, call forwarding, selective call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID and more. Some plans include these features in the monthly fee.

• Online support: AT&T customers can visit the Support section of AT&T’s website to learn about using the features associated with their landline. They can also schedule service and installation online.

• International calling: International calling can be added to any plan for a monthly fee. Interested consumers can visit AT&T’s website to see per-minute rates for international plans.

• Best for: AT&T Home Phone is best for anyone who wants a traditional landline and is looking for a variety of additional features.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs