AT&T Home Phone service

Compare Home Phone Service

Research top Home Phone Service recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Today I received for the first time in my life a bill from a collection agency. It was from AT&T. I notified the AT&T today that I received no bills from them after I closed my account 8 months ago. I spent 3 hours on the phone being sent from one representative to another over and over. I was explaining to them that I did not receive a bill from them and THEY explained to me that they sent one out in March (8months ago!). They stated that was the only mailing they sent to me. I NEVER remember receiving this bill. Today I found out about having a balance due on this closed account as THEY CONTACTED THE CREDIT BUREAU.

I feel that they have very unfair business practices. I have always taken such great pride in having a high credit score and yes, I believe it was only affected by 5 points but still I think this is horrible business practices and I will NEVER use this company again. They refused to remove it from collections EVEN though they admitted only contacting me one time 8 months ago. (I had gone into the store to make that last payment when I closed the account I thought. Customers need to be aware when they close their account and to make sure and verify that all has been paid. I thought that I did.)

I had no connection on my landline. I was scheduled for an evening appointment between 4 and 8 pm. I called 5 times up until 9 pm. I repeated the complaint to each operator, a supervisor and finally a manager. They would only give first names and no ID number. No one ever showed for my appointment. The manager said I would be priority the following morning between 8 am - 12 pm. No one showed up the following morning. Again I had to speak to a supervisor who again reschedule for 1-4 pm. I asked for the number to the corporate office no one knew the number including the supervisors and managers. I am done with AT&T. I will be acquiring another service. AT&T needs to be investigated. They do not care about their customers and their customer's time. It's sad what they are getting away with.

My family has been with AT&T off and on for the last 30 years. My father really likes AT&T... till now. For the last few months, where we live, we've had off and on service from AT&T. Sometimes the service would go out for 12 hours at a time. Sometimes 2 or 3 days. When we would call they would say that they were having issues in our area and that they would take the money off the bill. We had some issues with our bill - admittedly we were behind but we thought we'd caught up. Fast forward to October we get a bill from AT&T for $847 and change. Asking me questions because we knew that we owed them money so it's best we could We Gather the money and paid them off, within days of the bill that we got it was paid. The service was not restored. We assumed that it was one of the outages because they were frequent. When it became apparent that they had disconnected the service we went to Comcast.

Comcast said that they could not Port the number because it was disconnected. So we called AT&T and ask them to release the number. A week and a half of calling AT&T and talking to people in the Philippines I'm getting a different story every time we talk to someone. Finally I spoke to a gentleman named Marco who was very gracious and gave me a confirmation number that AT&T would take care of the issue within 24 hours. A week later nothing is done. I called and talked to them and they said "oh it's because the ticket was sent out with a 2 week date on it." The person said he fixed it and it would take 24 hours for it to be ready. I called Comcast this morning and still it wasn't done. I called AT&T again and they're telling me that they're going to charge me over $100 to reconnect their service in order to have it active so that the number can be ported by Comcast.

Bear in mind we don't owe them any money. Bear in mind that we did not ask them to disconnect the service. We've had this number for over 30 years with people all over the world having the number and now we're going to have to lose that number because AT&T doesn't really give a rat's behind about their customers. Decency counts for nothing with this company.

UPDATED ON 11/24/2016: This is an update from previous review of AT&T. After AT&T cancelled our home phone service, they also cancelled our TV service. We had AT&T U-verse and because the service had been going in and out since July we went to the store and one of the representatives recommended that we use DirecTV. The representative told us that DirecTV was a separate company from AT&T even though it was under the same umbrella. We got a separate DirecTV bill and we assumed that even though they were under the same umbrella we're dealing with two different companies. Be aware that you are not!

When AT&T cancelled our service they cancelled DirecTV service also. Even though the bill for DirecTV was not connected to the bill for AT&T. We did not cancel DirecTV - AT&T cancelled DirecTV. Yesterday we got a bill from DirecTV saying that we had an early cancellation charge of over $400. When I called to find out why when we didn't cancel the service, they said AT&T cancelled the service and so they were charging US the early termination fee. The representative they said the only way that they could reverse the cancellation fee was if we re-established service with them once again paying all the installation fees that came with the original bill. That even though we did not want the service cancelled and AT&T cancelled it we still have to pay to reverse what AT&T did.

The representative was the first person I spoke to and what I said to her that we couldn't afford to pay that kind of money for a service that was wrongfully taken away by AT&T, she referred me to their billing department in the Philippines. I was very polite when I told David the representative that the way I appreciated his work he couldn't help me and I hung up. I decided that I did not want to speak to someone in the Philippines because as in the first review -where we were begging AT&T to give us back our number- I learned that if AT&T sends you abroad it's because they're not going to do anything at all to help. They send you there because they don't want the American Representatives to receive the brunt of any ones displeasure with them.

As to our 30 yr old telephone number which AT&T took away, I called AT&T and ask them to put an addendum on their message (which told everybody that our new number was unavailable) that gave the new number that we had been given. The representative said they would be able to do it in a couple of days. A week goes by and in that week my mother goes into the hospital. Our relatives and friends are calling and they can't get through because there's no number. They start calling everybody else in the family who had our cell numbers. This turns into a virtual circus because people are calling - this one calling that one trying to get through.

I called AT&T to find out why they haven't followed through with what they said they were going to do. Because now this is a week later. I spoke to representative who said to me he had no idea why I was transferred to him because he was in the technical department and he had nothing to do with those outgoing messages. In a voice that was tightly controlled and I do admit dripping with rage I told him that my family could not get through because AT&T did not follow through once again. I told him I was sitting at my mother's bedside in the hospital and I needed this matter to be resolved.

If you recall the previous representative said that it could not be done in under two days. This young man, apparently NOT an AT&T company man, got the job done in half an hour. I don't think I have ever been so disillusioned by the company as I am but AT&T. For company with such a long history it's kind of pathetic to see how badly they treat customers. I guess once you've reached the top of where you want to be there's nothing to do but the step on the little man.

My MIL moved from an senior living apartment to a nursing home across the street. All she has asked for is her phone service to be moved. On 10/27/16 I conducted an online chat with Suzanne **. I provided all of the information to her. She said that this was in process and they would call me back to verify. No call back. On 11/1/16 I talked with Neil. Provided all of the information again. Neil stated his system was down, and he would have to call me back No call back (this will start to seem familiar). On 11/2/16 I talked with Darlene at 12:30 pm. I repeated the information, she seemed to understand what I wanted, said she needed to talk to technical, put me on hold, and then disconnected me (btw, you cannot call back to that individual, of course).

I then called back and talked to Pao, who said that his system was down and would need to call back. Same chorus, no call back, though I did tell him I did not believe I would get a call back, and he very solemnly assured me that he would! Hah! On 11/4/16 at 9:30 am, I talked to Jaffs (sp?) who proceeded to tell me that after I provided all of the information again, (don't they have notes in their system?) that he needed to transfer me to technical support. Mari in technical support answered, I explained briefly what I was trying to do, and she put me on hold to look up my information. I was on hold so long that I was moved back into the customer support queue, where I got Al.

When Al asked that I repeat all of the same information again (each person assuring me that they would be the one to correct my issues) I told him that I wanted to speak to a supervisor as I was no longer confident that they knew how to operate their phone system. He continued to argue with me that I needed to provide all of the same information before he could send me to a supervisor. I admit that this is where I lost my cool. I told him I was not going to go through this again until I talked to a supervisor, and that he had a choice to make, he could either transfer me to a supervisor or he could hang up, but I was through banging my head against the wall. He then told me that there were no supervisors available to take my call as they were all on the phone helping other customers. He of course would take my phone number and someone would (you guessed it!) call me back.

I then tried a customer service line in Dallas in the hopes of registering a complaint. By this time, I had calmed down. I talked to Katherine (she could absolutely fix this!) but she can't even find my account in the system. She then transfers me to another woman (I didn't get her name) who upon learning that this was about a landline, couldn't help me as she only worked on Uverse. She transferred me to Martin who could not help because he is only in the Southwest not Illinois, who transferred me to an automated repair line. Like that would help! I really am at an impasse as my mother in law suits in a nursing home, and wonders whether she will ever be able to talk to her family again!

This company has got to have THE WORST customer service EVER!!! Got new service to our cabin that we go to 2 times a year and which has limited access - meaning you can only get there by boat - no roads. So we get a time slot of 4 hours and have to go sit at dock and wait for technician who is 3 hours late! Finally get it done and last week I start thinking - "Hey, we've never received a bill" - call in to their customer service - got disconnected 3 times - then had someone help me that had zero clue what they should be doing! Lucky me!

Over an hour later I find out the number was just disconnected and the mailing address they had was the service address of the cabin which isn't even the cabin address! Are you seriously kidding me??? I gave ALL the information to the gal I talked to when setting up the service. Really? How hard is it to put the information in the computer? If I could use another service I would - but unfortunately they have me by the you know what's because they are the only company offering service to this area. What a joke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

I signed up for AT&T basic home phone service on May 20th, 2016. I was told by the representative that my bill would be around 67 dollars a month. I get my first bill for 195.07 and find out they didn't have my local and long distance setup as the agreed unlimited plan. I called and the customer service guy said he fixed it and credited my bill for the charges incurred due to the mistake. I went to pay my bill 2 weeks later and notice the amount is not what he said. I called back again, this customer service guy says he fixed it and gives me a new bill amount.

I immediately went to pay that amount, but found it still not changed. By this time I received the next month's bill for 584.00. Still not corrected. I called them 5 different times and they would not get it correct. Finally I told them to cancel the account, and now they want me to pay them over 450 dollars as a balance due on the account. If they can't hold to their agreement then why should I pay this. I wouldn't mind paying a fair settlement, but for 2 1/2 months of basic phone service this is horrible.

I ordered my service on October 16th 2016. I ordered cable TV services as well as porting my number from Time Warner Cable landline over to AT&T phone service. My cable TV services were hooked up correctly. My landline is still not working. I spoke with a representative who stated that their employee made a mistake and left out a verification step. Upon completing this step they told me my service would be restored by 6 p.m. that day. I made a switch to DirecTV and AT&T phone service believing that their service would be better and that I would receive customer satisfaction. However I am not satisfied as a customer who's waited over a week to get my landline restored after they have already dug up my previous landline and I'm still waiting for someone to come out to Port the number over.

The representatives did not offer any help to get my service activated. All I was told was to wait another week and they could do nothing else for me. I'm a new customer and within my first week of service. I'm already having issues trying to get something resolved that their employee told me will be resolved and now the next day it cannot be resolved, just wait another week. Because of their error I now have to wait another week before service is restored on my landline. I have an elderly parent in the house and having a phone is a necessity to her health. Had I known that if it was an error with their service and they would not be willing to fix their error within a reasonable amount of time I would not have ever made the switch to this service. This does not meet customer satisfaction whatsoever.

I have recently scheduled a AT&T technician to come install the new service, and they asked me to wait between 8am to 6 p.m. on Saturday, there was no show, no call...and I wasted the whole day. I called their technical support, which of course took forever too, I finally talked to someone, and they apologized. Said they will come on Sunday between 8am-12pm, and will call me first thing in the morning. And again, no show, no call...what the ** is wrong with this company???

AT&T baits you with a low Promo Rate then switches after a year (rates doubled). When you call for info or service, you have to talk to somebody in a foreign Country that you cannot understand, they switch you from Dept. to Dept. or they hang up on you. After a wild fire in 2003 we were without a landline for about a month. The telephone pole that supports our phone line is still needing replacement (it is totally burnt and ready to snap). That was 13 years ago.

Today I had a repairman show up to repair inside wiring (no dial tone). I was told I do not have Wire Pro, which I do have. It's on my phone bill every month, I pay extra for it. The repair man told me to buy some cordless phones and left. I called AT&T to find out what's going on with my account and repairs after the repairman left my home. So far it's been two hours and about seven different AT&T agents. They still don't have an answer. AT&T SUCKS. Thanks to Pres. Bill Clinton all we get to talk to is foreign Countries because of NAFTA. Time to find a new Country.

When moving to another area where U-Verse was not available, I attempted to cancel my service by phone. I also tried to cancel my landline. I was on the phone for over an hour and got nowhere. I was sent from one person to the next and, finally, back to the first person, who still knew nothing. My son tried to get information. So did my realtor. Eventually he was able to get a rep who said the service was cancelled. He was told we had to send the equipment back, we could not take it to a store. We sent it back by UPS. I have gotten bills every month since for service AT&T has not provided. My son has spent hours on the phone with AT&T in the last few months and gotten no satisfaction.

Finally, on the advice of my lawyer, I am sending the cancellation request in writing. However, I could not find an e-mail address on the website, so I am sending it by U.S. mail to the billing address. I should not have to go to a lawyer to get this information. Obviously the info I got on the phone was not correct. The issue is still not resolved. Under the circumstances, I cannot, in all good conscience, recommend AT&T California to anyone.

Been without service for 2 weeks. Keep calling for repair, appointment set up, service repair never shows up. Call again, they say we will call back to tell us what happened and that doesn't also happen. Spoken with many people on the service line and still not resolved. We are at our wits end. What do we do? Husband a customer for 60 years. He is 86 years old, in poor health, and I just had hip surgery. We can't even go to their main office on Broadway to file a complaint. Luckily I have a cell phone to use. Someone help us!

I have a vacation home in a mountain region with no AT&T cell phone access. Only Verizon phones work. I have AT&T landline with Internet at my full time home. For Internet at my vacation home, I have AT&T, and have to use my full time home phone number for that account. So, I have two Internet accounts using the same phone number.

When contacting AT&T, they want to access your account by phone number. When I try to tell them mine must be accessed by account number or address, I get argued with. When they insist on using phone number, I explain I have two accounts under same phone number, give them the account number for vacation home and address for vacation home, but they still end up mixing up the accounts. I have had changes made to my main home service, when they were supposed to be made to the vacation home service. They ask over and over for a cell number and I keep telling them they have no cell service here and maybe they should put in a cell tower!

After spending 3 hrs yesterday with AT&T about issues with... my account, my internet, my services on my landline phone. I had an order # with the landline phone to add call blocking. The rep. said it would be available in 2 hrs. Well 2 hrs passed and no call blocking available, later that night still no call blocking available, today no call blocking available. I call AT&T and was on the phone 1hr- 35min and was transferred a total of 11 times and the only solution was she would have programming check and give me a call back sometime (no estimated time) so here I am with no resolution to my phone problem and have spent a total of OVER 4-1/2 hrs over 2 days and nothing yet.

Called in on Saturday, July 20, 2016. Was given a repair time of by Wednesday @ 6:30 p.m. Gave my Verizon cell phone as a contact phone; received a call on my cell phone on Monday, August 1, 2016 at lunch confirming the outage and still confirming a repair time of Wednesday. Arranged with a neighbor to be on call if it became necessary to access the home. At approximately 5:00 p.m. received a text on my Verizon cell phone saying "Sorry. We are unable to repair your service today, rescheduled for tomorrow," and giving me a number to call, which I did. It went straight into the AT&T repair again, again the same routine, report outage, etc., and the "recording said it was scheduled by 6:30 p.m. today."

I finally reached a Customer Service Rep and asked him what was going on. He of course in addition to my telephone number wanted my name and address, etc. He sounded as if he were in a bad mood when he answered the phone. I relayed the events to him, and asked him what it meant. He rudely said "it means that your service call has been transferred to tomorrow as a high priority." Every time I deal with any area of AT&T or their subsidiaries, I come away feeling as I have been verbally abused. I will never deal with AT&T for additional services. Apparently they are just poorly trained people with constant attitude. If it were only a one time thing it would still be bad, but it is every time they have to be contacted.

Our entire neighborhoods home phone lines are out. We have made multiple attempts to report the outages by calling via cell phones other family members home phones, computer online, Facebook and everything. None of us have gotten to talk to one live person nor do we have any idea if they even know our lines are down, what is wrong, when or if they will ever fix the problem. Obviously they don't care about it being a safety line for 911 or elderly for any reason or the problem would have been fixed already. You can know we will all be charged our hard earned money to pay for services we have never received. Talk about being ripped off. No customer service. They don't care about the people nor care to fix the problems.

In today's technology and as much money as this company makes this should not ever happen. They should know this many people don't have service before we do. No personable service only computers that make you waste your valuable time. It should be fast and easy to report an outage and find out an estimated time of repair and a reputable company would not charge customers for services they are not receiving. What an embarrassment for such a large company to be this bad. Hopefully others will find out by those of us being treated so badly letting everyone know exactly what is happening to current customers so they won't make the same mistake of using such a bad service company. Hopefully they will spend their hard earned money on a good customers service company.

I was told if I signed up for a landline, which I do not need, that I would receive a $250 credit card in the mail. After paying my bill for the 3rd month, I reached out to see if maybe someone else had gotten the credit card instead of me. I was then told that I would not receive the credit card because I wasn't supposed to receive a credit card in the mail. I was supposed to receive a claim letter and 12 days prior to my phone call that claim had expired. It took me an hour and 15 minutes and went through every channel of customer support from a local store to the website and all departments there in and each department was inept except for Trina in the North Carolina office for retention which I later found out was actually for deactivation. I will never use them once my contract is over and I will recommend that no one ever sign with AT&T. #buyersremorse

Keep receiving texts on my business cell phone from this company, and it's spam content. The texts say, "Hit me up, I have something to show you" and "I was hoping to show you something, get back to me". I have never heard of this company and NO ONE has my work cell number in MI. I do not give this number out very often at all. I would think that if Ameritech cared at all about their company name, they would put a stop to whoever is using their numbers to potentially scam people. Read the other reviews. It's not just me.

So I received a phone call from a lady with a thick accent stating that I have become eligible to receive an 8,000 dollar grant that I don't have to pay back from the Federal Grant Commission or something like that. I immediately realized this is a scam. Especially when she tells me that first I have to call back another number. When I ask for her email she immediately hangs up on me. When I look at the number I'm surprised to find out it's a US number being serviced by Ameritech. When I look up the number I find out that many other people have been called by it and that Ameritech doesn't seem to care that fraud is being conducted over their phone lines.

When I look up their company, it seems it's no surprise looking at all the complaints they've received. Apparently this is the company to do your fraudulent activities with. They don't care as they are allowing people's identities to be stolen and used and then demanding the real people to pay for the scammers accounts! I wouldn't be surprised if they are somehow involved with these scammers calling our numbers. Beware if you received a phone call from the following number: 312-563-8459. It's a number serviced by Ameritech!

I have been a 7 year AT&T customer of all my services. I went to add a line to my cell phone account just to find out that there was a $477.87 early disconnect fee on my credit report. I have NEVER received a bill or collections notice for this charge. They are stating that I disconnected our cell phones and reconnected them on the same day. This all happened in 2013 and this is the first time I've heard anything about it. Either contacting my attorney or taking this to small claims court. This is ridiculously absurd.

I have NEVER cancelled my cell phones EVER. Cancelled a landline but they are claiming it was wireless. Obviously an employee disconnected them by mistake or something, realized it and reconnected them. I am absolutely livid and will be pulling my internet, landline, cell phones and TV from AT&T. The customer service rep told me to SHHH when I was trying to explain myself. I have never been so disappointed in a company and will never recommend them to anyone!!!

I called and order the AT&T bundle. First of all they send out Dish network and they messed up one of our tv's, the most expensive one, and now they tell me to call RCA. Had an appointment for 9:00 a.m. today to have the home phone put in. The tech called me and said no one answered. Ok my dad is there and you don't hear no dog barking (my dog barks at everyone) and my dad sits on the side porch by the drive way. The tech was at the wrong house and now they tell me it will be Friday before they can come back out. My dad is 76 years old and stays by himself while I work 12 hour shifts. I expressed to them that I need the phone so I can call and check on my dad and if he needs help he has no way to call anyone. They got their money and don't care about you. So we get punished cause the tech went to the wrong house. Crazy!!!

I have been through a nightmare with AT&T after having been first, a PacBell customer, then SBC, and recently AT&T for the past 28 years. My analysis of the problem is that the company is too big geographically and lacks trained personnel resulting in the various divisions of the company not communicating with each other, being not well trained, and apparently computer systems that often freeze. Interestingly one is put on hold. Reps say because their computers freeze most often when you are trying to address and readdress a problem.

After a recent move within the same town in CA I have spent 40 hours on the phone trying to straighten out being double charged for two accounts one of which had been cancelled with the move, supervisors not being able to locate account numbers, talking with offshore reps who read from scripts and asked questions which I had just answered, "specialists" not calling back at designated times, techs not showing up after waiting 3 hours past the scheduled time. When calling about the no shows, no order can be found. After finally canceling all accounts with AT&T with the company owing ME $258 I received yet another bill yesterday for a non-existent account. I can only conclude that this company being close to a monopoly is after the buck and does not care one bit about customer service despite its alternately called "Loyalty Dept" or "Retention Dept". Truly a shame to see a good company become so corrupt at its very core.

I have endured landline and service interruptions from AT&T for years and especially for the last several months. Every few weeks we lose landline connection, DSL, or both. I will cite the two most recent instances. Both connections went dead Monday morning, February 3. My wife reported the problem and received an automated message that the line would be repaired by the following Thursday evening. Four days seemed to us a ridiculously long time. When we still had no service Thursday morning, we called Gary **, the technical support manager for our area. Mr. ** reported that no repair ticket had been sent to him. To his credit, he had the repair done by Thursday early afternoon. But had we not contacted him directly, we apparently would have been without connectivity indefinitely. Letters of complaint I sent to two AT&T corporate offices were ignored.

Now to the more recent occasion: At 4:00 PM Wednesday, March 30, the landline and DSL went dead again. We reported that, and a repair tech came Thursday afternoon. He told us that a tall vehicle had snapped the line crossing the road in front of our house. (We wonder why no one had determined before that the line was too low.) The tech said that he would call in a unit that could string the line higher but that it would probably not come until the next day, Friday. Instead, he closed out the ticket. We did not find that out until we returned from a weekend trip Sunday evening to still no service. I spent hours on the phone Monday trying to get through voice-mail hell to AT&T representatives, being kept on hold for long periods of time and once being disconnected after such a wait. Finally I reached someone helpful, and service was restored at 11:00 AM Tuesday - after a week.

To top it off, the outage resulted in a need to reconfigure our voice-mail system. When we received a phone message to that effect, we called AT&T Saturday April 11 to make sure the message was legitimate. The AT&T rep was not familiar with such messages, found no notation of this need on our account, and made a notation herself of a possible scam. She was clearly not trained adequately to know that the message was in fact legitimate. Her ignorance typifies your company's poor customer service. A customer service representative did credit our bill for $32 for the week of no connectivity but, of course, did not have the authority to credit me for lost income as I requested. I demanded that a supervisor call me back, but no one did. This is inexcusable.

Finally, in my frustration, I wrote CEO Randall Stephenson April 11 and demanded compensation for a week's loss of work ability rather than just the usual credit for lost service. A copy of that letter is attached. George **, a representative from his office, called me April 20. He refused my additional compensation and even refused to tell me what steps the company would take to ensure that I have reliable service in the future. That response was unhelpful, dismissive and insulting.

We depend on our phone and Internet service for professional as well as social and community activities. I work out of our home. We would have quit AT&T as our provider long ago except that it would have done no good; regardless of what other phone company we might switch to, AT&T still own the lines. We need a landline because we do not have a reliable wireless signal inside our house. We do not wish to change to Comcast because its reputation for poor customer service is even worse than AT&T's.

Our frequent service failures are unacceptable. We are in metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia, one of the most sophisticated telecommunications centers in the world, not some impoverished third world country. We see no excuse for AT&T'S incompetence and apparent indifference toward our need for reliable service. Nothing seems to have changed since the classic 1970's Saturday Night Live sketch featuring Lily Tomlin and ending with the tag line, "The Phone Company. We don't care. We don't have to."

I tried to order two more services with AT&T, however, I received an email informing me that the services were set up incorrectly by an employee named Joshua. Then I found out that my credit was illegally pulled without authorization. I spoke with a manager who told me she would contact Joshua's manager and she would also follow back up with me that following Monday. Neither manager called me back. I called back and spoke with someone who said they would write an internal email to have Joshua's manager email me. Again, I never heard back. I called back multiple times and got no resolved. I even spoke 10 people on three separate chats for over four hours just to be transferred back and forth to different departments people. I've wasted hours and hours AND had my credit pulled and my account set up incorrectly. I tried to rectify this informally multiple times but no one from AT&T will help me.

Two incidents: I recently called AT&T to upgrade a phone. We are grandfathered into the unlimited talk, text and data plan and want to keep it. I was transferred 3 times and kept on the phone for 40 minutes while the reps kept telling me they were trying, but the system wouldn't let them do it. I finally hung up. I will purchase the phone elsewhere (for less) and have them add my AT&T account.

My husband and I have auto pay for our AT&T bill and have not checked the bill for inaccuracies lately. Our fault for not being on top of it, but we feel the company also bears responsibility to be honest. However, we cancelled an iPad internet fee approximately a year ago and found out they are still charging us for it. When my husband mentioned the auto pay and not checking the bill each month (which we will certainly do now), the rep said, "That doesn't speak well for you, does it?" My husband asked to speak with a supervisor and the rep said that wouldn't do him any good. We were both appalled.

They refunded two months charges, although they had overcharged us for months. We are longtime AT&T customers, along with many members of our extended family. But, even if we were not, is this really the face AT&T wants to present to the public? We are researching other companies because apparently AT&T does not care about keeping our business.

My phone line went down a month ago. Since then, I have repeatedly tried to get a price quote from AT&T regarding what it would cost to fix my landline, as I know there is no dial tone coming from the NID phone box. They keep asking me to call them, but I can't because I have no phone line. So I've repeatedly explained this in chat with their customer service people. Every single one of their representatives makes false promises about how they will mark the complaint as "urgent" and their manager says they will refund the money, and they will email me the information, but these promises are intended simply to get rid of me and then they just ignore me like the conversation never happened. They figure if I can't call them to complain or cancel, then I have no option but to pay for phone service I can't use.

We are going into our second month with me paying for phone service I can't use since AT&T won't send me a quote to fix the phone line. Reading the other complaints, I see that if I could borrow a cell phone to call them, they would claim they couldn't give that info out because I'm calling from the wrong phone number! Naturally, as I seek another phone company in Fresno to switch phone service, I realize why I thought I was stuck with AT&T in the first place: apparently it's because I was. I can't seem to find another landline service, and none which will allow me to email them for a price quote to get my phone line fixed.

I had home phone service with AT&T and I DID call to disconnect the service and when the customer services put me on hold 4 mins and Mr (**) reps person answer, I feeling he do not want help. He just yelling to me even he DID not trying to ask me for reason why I am looking to cancel the service. He was very rude, unpolite. Anyway, I already cancelled this service.

I owned a company that went under a couple months ago. My cell bill was in excess of $400 because I had 5 phones on it with a high data plan. On top of that, I bought 3 iPhone 6's that were on payment plans so that's why my bill was so high. I called AT&T after calling back a month to ask for a month to pay it as my company close a couple months ago and I had been unemployed until recently. They said that the bill was a month overdue and the second month had just come out so I had to pay the $850 in full or have my service cut off. I couldn't pay it as I only had been working a week and tried to explain to the representative that I could pay off one month with my first check in a week and the next month 2 weeks after that. They said no, sorry.

The next day it came to me to lower my plan since they were going to cut it off anyway, to the lowest possible plan until I could pay it off. Long story short, my phone was already suspended, a call to AT&T customer service said I'd have to activate my phone in order to change my plan and in order to activate it, I'd have to pay the $850. I told the customer service rep "so... you're telling me that I have to pay for a suspended service with a high plan that I can't use or lower" and he said "yes ma'am". That's the thanks I got for being a long time customer with them. At this point, it will be cheaper to have it go to collections than it will be to pay the 400+ each month. I attached the last bill I paid November 2015. They suspended my account in January 2016.

As a business owner, almost every month I get a postcard from AT&T asking me to call and renew my discounts. I spend about 30-60 minutes a month on hold for them and listening to them try to sell me products I don't want. Then supposedly my discount is renewed. In January I received a bill for $111 instead of $74. I called in to complain and they promised to credit my next bill.

My next bill had no credit, so I called in and they said they couldn't credit it. I asked for a supervisor and they said one would call me within 48 hours. No one called within 48 hours. I called again and they told me they could not credit the discount because it was MCI and I never called in to renew my discount (Seriously, do I need to call twice a month?). When I tried to tell them that I was told that I would get a credit, the lady rudely told me that she was writing notes in my file that she told me three times that I could not get a discount. You'll never see anyone switch to THE COMPETITION so fast as I am doing this second.

After my elderly grandmother's AT&T bill more than doubled, I called to get a better rate. They were going to reconnect her home phone line to a landline. I made arrangements and paid for someone to sit and wait for them to come. They did not show. I called two days later to check on the work order, and they said they would just cut off the internet, since she didn't own a computer, and she would keep the modem and existing service the same for 1/2 the price. I agreed that would be best, and she would not be inconvenienced by someone coming to her house that she didn't know. She gets worried and a bit scared with strangers as she is aging.

Then, I get a call three days later saying that he had just left her house from reconnecting the landline. I was confused. That was not what they were supposed to do. He assured me she had phone service. My mom and I live three hours from her in another state. She is also a fall risk. She went all weekend not being able to call us. I was frustrated and upset. The answer I got from At&T when I called was they needed to call her and do a credit check on her to establish a new account. Both of her accounts were closed. WHAT?

This is obvious miscommunication with AT&T. This should NOT be my grandmother's fault in any way, but she is the one without a way to call us or for help GOD forbid anything happened to her. AT&T: Where is your common courtesy? I have made five phone calls on her behalf today alone. Sad that they could NOT make THEIR mistakes right. I asked when they could get someone out to her house after we created a new account. Their answer: Maybe by the end of the week. IT IS MONDAY! I will call someone else for this phone service that she has had for years. Not worth her LIFE!

On Jan. 11, 2016 I called to set up land line service for my elderly mother in an assisted living center. I was told by the center that AT&T handles the phone lines. I spoke to a Randall and the order was placed to be installed by Jan. 19th. On the 21st when she moved in the line was not working. My sister and I have been calling since the 22nd and gotten nothing but runarounds, long holds, disconnects and people in Pakistan. We have been lied to, promised callbacks that didn't happen. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was transferred around and the call was dropped.

Today I talked to a supervisor named Marcel ** in Miami, FL who assured me he would call me back to let me know when the service will be connected. He did call back and did not leave a message but did leave a phone # to his direct line that no one has picked up and the recording says the mailbox is full and there is no room for any messages. The people in the repair dept. say there is no mailbox. That is just a recording that they use to blow us customers off. I have now been given a new order # (that's #3) and am being told it will be hooked up by tomorrow at 6pm. If my mother could figure out how to use a cell phone I would tell AT&T to kiss my a.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. Consumers who bundle two or more services receive discounts.

• U-verse Voice: Consumers in select locations can subscribe to U-verse Voice, a digital home phone service that makes calls using an Internet connection. The service is available in over 20 states.
  • Traditional service: AT&T offers traditional landlines in most locations throughout the United States. Options include local and nationwide plans. Rates vary by location.
  • Extra features: Customers can add several features to their phone service, including three-way calling, call forwarding, selective call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID and more. Some plans include these features in the monthly fee.
  • Online support: AT&T customers can visit the Support section of AT&T’s website to learn about using the features associated with their landline. They can also schedule service and installation online.
  • International calling: International calling can be added to any plan for a monthly fee. Interested consumers can visit AT&T’s website to see per-minute rates for international plans.
  • Best for AT&T Home Phone is best for anyone who wants a traditional landline and is looking for a variety of additional features.

Compare Home Phone Service