Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

AT&T’s traditional home phone service is compatible with cordless and corded. Plans start at $38 a month for basic service that includes unlimited local calls, caller ID and call waiting.

AT&T Home Phone Service Compare Offers

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

Shop and compare internet deals

See local offers on Find Your Internet

Shop Now

AT&T Home Phone Service Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Home Phone Service?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T Home Phone Service?

Original review: July 22, 2020

AT&T customer for 21 years. No vendor surpasses AT&T in abysmal repair service. Within past year, they had to run a new line to my house to fix loss of landline service. Took 2 months to bury; they cut my cable when doing so. Now, again, no dial tone. First repairman says issue is with outside box in the neighborhood. That was over a week ago. Three calls to CS to get status -- I'm assured they'll follow up with appropriate group --- no updates. The irony is the CS rep ends the call with "We appreciate your business". Nothing this company has done makes me believe they appreciate my business in any way. I honestly think they simply do not care about non-fiber landline business anymore. I long for the days of Bell South. They were awesome.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

Simply tried to get caller id on my old landline. Three months later, they cut off my landline entirely and set me up and billed me for wireless internet service. Since they cut off my landline, that also killed my ADT Security system. I already had wireless internet with another carrier. Ended up after 4 months with a new / DIFFERENT landline number and STILL being billed for wireless internet which I never ordered nor activated. And it takes all day and handed off to numerous people.... none which could assist. Time for a new CEO?

Get buying tips about Home Phone Service delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

AT&T is the worst phone company ever. They suck. I’m warning everybody do not go to AT&T phone service. They will rob you with your eyes open???? They are charging me for the month of service I did not use. Who does that. I was with them for over 10 years. I guess they mad because I went to another company that is way way cheaper than them. I would never ever ever go back to AT&T again in my life.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I have never been so frustrated in my life! I have an AT&T PrePaid phone card for my long distance call on my LAND LINE. I am trying to add additional minutes to the card. You have to go online to www.virtualprepaidminutes.com to recharge the card. When I try to do that I get a message my credit card was declined. I got a fraud notice from my CC company, which I appreciate, and released the charge saying it was made by me and okay. So I tried again with no luck. Tried three different credit cards...no luck.

So on the back of the calling card is the number 1-800-331-3800 to call "customer care". I called that number, put in my calling card number and pin. Each time I do that, I get disconnected and am never able to talk to a representative. So, also on the back of the card is the information that I can dial my access number and the press #3 to add minutes. Tried that and I get a recording that I have to go the www.virtualprepaidminutes.com.

So I tried to call AT&T. Now, I do not have my landline with AT&T (not available where I live). And, I do not have long distance service on my landline, so I use the calling card for that. So it was VERY difficult to find a number to call to see if I could get help. Finally got the "general" help desk and related my problem. She gave me the number to WIRELESS support. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A CELL PHONE. But I explained the issue to the agent I reached, and then she gave me a number to call that turned out to be billing FOR WIRELESS! THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A CELL PHONE!

The billing agent gave me a number for problem resolution for WIRELESS! THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WIRELESS. That agent tried to connect me with the 1-800-331-3800 number, and guess what! I got disconnected! The www.virtualprepaidminutes has NO contact information to get help. They have FAQs for "all your questions" but no way to ask a question yourself. No one I talked with at AT&T seems to have actually listened to my issue as I explained it, AND don't have a clue about prepaid cards for LAND LINE LONG DISTANCE. I wish I could use cell phone for long distance, but cell service where I live is spotty and this is not practical, so I need the long distance calling card. I just really don't know what to do next!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

ATT pretends that they have a functional interface for monitoring phone calls. What they have is a broken piece of crap that acts differently on each login. Of course, that's assuming you're able to log in. I spent 6 hours with tech support over three days and 6 hours of my own time attempting to log in. After twelve hours of changing passwords and user names, success! What a pathetic mess. The online experience continues to go downhill after log in. I was told by tech support that I would have to clear history, cookies, cache and browsing data before each login. At the present time, that's not working either. I dumped this farce of a company four years ago. My mistake was giving them a second chance. Please do not make the same mistake as I did.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

They signed me up for the wrong plan and would not fix it. It cost me twenty extra a month for two years. Your bill goes up every couple months for no reason. If you call to try to fix it they leave you on hold while they look your information up for twenty minutes and then tell you you will have to call back tomorrow. They are totally dishonest.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I was a good customer for more than 20 years with AT&T home phone service, I went and canceled and was issued a $15 refund, a couple weeks pass and I get a at&t debt card with a $15 credit on it so I call AT&T and after a big runaround with 4 reps they said that they no longer give out checks, so if I activate said debit card I get hit with a $3 fee and a card in my name that I didn't ask for, so as far as I see it AT&T is not right and needs to change their ways!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

October 22, 2019. My experience includes the unresolved matter that AT&T has not credited me for a phone land line outage that started in 2018, ended in 2019, and lasted 10 months and 10 days long. The phone has been repaired and working since August 27, 2019, nevertheless the credit issue for the phone not working has not been resolved. A little background information. This is a rural land line phone that is 27 miles from town and is out of service at least a few weeks every year for various reasons that the repair/maintenance team struggles valiantly with.

This latest "outage" was particularly difficult. My phone line was in need of work in eleven or more locations over the 27 miles between town and my phone. Before AT&T could locate a repair needed, schedule it and complete it, another repair/problem arose. This ten month outage even required contractors to bury new phone line/cable because a lengthy section was dug up by county road graders, (which the county reimbursed AT&T for the costs of reburying and repairs for my AT&T phone service line/cable). The length of this last outage was from 10-16-2018 until 8-26-2019. Finally, the hard working AT&T repair crew found all the needed repairs, and made them, thus restoring my phone service in less than one year!

Nevertheless, despite many promises and over 25 phone calls, I am still waiting for credit for this last championship length AT&T phone service outage for my phone service. FYI, there has not ever been a year without an outage of this AT&T phone service as five generations of faithful paying customers remember. All of our family and friends have similar experiences. It has been a little over a year since this latest outage began, so I think I am not unreasonable in requesting AT&T resolve this outage credit issue ASAP. FYI, cell phones do not work at this location, but AT&T continues trying to sell us on it. Well thank you for your time regarding this. With kind regards.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

Our landline went out in our vacation home. Discovered this Friday night. There is no cell service here. I had to drive a mile, tried two different 'troubleshooting' numbers including the number that was linked to from 'report an outage' and was told by one that I'd have to call back during normal business hours!!! What???? Phone service is essential!!! The other turned told me they only served Texas (I was in New Hampshire) so couldn't help, but gave me the number to call. It was the very one I had tried in the first place.

I tried FIVE different routes on the internet to report the problem, none worked. They either dead-ended or put me in a loop. I tried live chat, and it just bounced me back to where I started. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the internet trying to report the problem, and drove into town twice to get cell service to report this. Gave up. How on earth can a telephone provider not provide for emergency service on a weekend? This is a potential health hazard - what if there is a fire? Etc. This should totally be ILLEGAL. Someone should investigate this.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I cancelled my land line and was due a refund. Nevertheless, I was billed for approximately the same amount AT&T owed me. Out of principle I have refused to pay them & since I never buy anything on credit I’m indifferent to any negative marks on my credit rating. Which still remains very good in spite of this exception. All one has to do is view the tens of thousands of consumer complaints against AT&T to discern they are basically a criminal enterprise.

AT&T Home Phone Service author review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. Consumers who bundle two or more services receive discounts.

• U-verse Voice: Consumers in select locations can subscribe to U-verse Voice, a digital home phone service that makes calls using an Internet connection. The service is available in over 20 states.

• Traditional service: AT&T offers traditional landlines in most locations throughout the United States. Options include local and nationwide plans. Rates vary by location.

• Extra features: Customers can add several features to their phone service, including three-way calling, call forwarding, selective call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID and more. Some plans include these features in the monthly fee.

• Online support: AT&T customers can visit the Support section of AT&T’s website to learn about using the features associated with their landline. They can also schedule service and installation online.

• International calling: International calling can be added to any plan for a monthly fee. Interested consumers can visit AT&T’s website to see per-minute rates for international plans.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team