AT&T Home Phone Service
1.13/5
Based on 46 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

AT&T Home Phone Service

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

956 AT&T Home Phone Service Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have AT&T phone, Internet and DirecTV. I was tired of the Spectrum Service's defects, so I switched to AT&T. On the very day it was installed, the phone, fax and Internet were faulty. After 1 hour of hanging on and arguing with AT&T, a repairman came back and said he had fixed it. Wrong; still faulty. So 1 week later I called for another repairman, and was on chat. The agent hung up on me. Later they called and I was talking to an incompetent foreign agent. I lost the connection. So I will now be back on the phone and try to cancel. That will take me days, if not weeks. In addition, I applied for the current discount. They never gave it to me, & also refused to combine it with my existing DirecTV. They should be barred from California.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have been a loyal customer to AT&T cell phone service for over 20 years ( when it was Cingular). Recently I decided to take advantage of the bundle offer to include internet, home phone and DirecTV. This was a HUGE mistake!!! Within a week after signing up, I had to go to the local store because the service wasn't working and I was overbilled. I have had to go into the store at least 8-9 times since then and each time, I get no results. When I called AT&T customer service, I was honestly told that if I want faster internet speed, I will have to turn off all of my other devices in order to get a better speed. I can't even watch half of the things that were promised to me for my TV because, if I try to watch on demand or something on ROKU, it buffers and buffers until a box shows on the screen telling me my broadband isn't strong enough.

Oh sure, I can download whatever it is I want to watch but, that isn't what I signed up for and it makes movie night not happen... and forget about if someone invited a date over to watch a movie! I have been told that I will have to pay an early termination fee to get rid of them... BS!!! I haven't received the product I am being billed and paying for! I would hope that someone starts a class action against AT&T soon because, it seems like a LOT of consumers are having the same bad experience that I am...

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

In 2016 I noted that my phone bill was getting higher. On limited income I need discounts or help. Currently am disabled hard of hearing and diabetic. As I live very rurally the landline phone is my only connection for assistance if needed. I have called AT&T at least forty different times, only once did I find a person willing to give me a discounted rate for local, long distance and in area phone service for less than 19.00 dollars. Then we had a wildfire take out homes, buildings, phone poles and wires. My wires were down for two weeks and when connected to service included at least 4 other families. Yes we could hear each other's conversations and requested ATT to repair. They did. But, they cut off my phone service.

Frustrated, I elected to do business with DigitalPath which is my internet server also. My phone service is subject to vagaries of atmosphere, Wind, time of day and not all phones work in my house. DigitalPath says that ATT phones are not compatible with DigitalPath and this is my main phone to use as I can see the messages. This I learned after having the system installed and service calls made. My goal is to have ATT landline phone service local long distance and surrounding areas at a price I can afford. I do have CARE and Lifeline for the phone. I would like just phone service and not Uverse or TV.

I talked with customer relations yesterday and the agent was getting me a phone rate of 19.99 but only with TV, which I don't want or need and I am satisfied with my internet satellite WiFi carrier. When the agent heard that he said I can get you phone service for 40.00 dollars and hung up on me. This is not a new occurrence, I have been hung up on many times trying to be polite and do business with this band of outlaws. If nothing else, add my name to a growing list of very dissatisfied customers.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

My wife was formerly an AT&T engineer, who installed switching systems for many years (through a Baby Bell subsidiary). We are both now retired, but wifie is what we call a 'telephone pioneer' and she has maintained a loyalty to AT&T for decades, accordingly. We presently have AT&T landline service to our home in the South Land Park Area of urban Sacramento (CA), as we have for the past 40 years. For the past 10 years we have struggled with the quality of our landline telephone service, since it regularly and predictably goes haywire whenever it rains. Each time we've had this vexing problem, we've called AT&T to come out and address the issue. Each time they futz around and the service improves SLIGHTLY (but is never perfectly clear, with elimination of static/noise and/or full restoration of quality voice communication). Until the very next rain, that is, when the same problems begin anew.

Most recently we've had an urgent need to be able to communicate clearly with a skilled nursing facility that is taking care of an aged aunt, often at night and frequently in bad weather. Each time this need arises, the landline has been garbled, choked with static and has been completely unintelligible. It doesn't take much to understand how frustrating it is to be unable to communicate with that SNF on an urgent basis when required, since we do NOT use our cellular phones for routine communication, using them only on a rare occasion (such as on the road for emergencies). We rely on our landline, therefore, completely and totally and the abysmal service provided by AT&T is and has never been absolutely acceptable.

The last time we called AT&T repair services to come address this recurring issue, the supervisor who was along on the call candidly admitted to me hat the root cause of all our problems was the antiquated infrastructure ("legacy hardware") that AT&T still uses in a great number of locales. He informed me that AT&T has a serious market share handicap and that Verizon/Xfinity and the other service providers all have fiber optic systems and infrastructure, whereas AT&T still relies to a disproportionate extent on its existing, ancient hard-wired connection network.

Furthermore, he told us that although AT&T is gradually updating and replacing its ancient hard-wired connections with a modern fiber optic system, installations are all prioritised on a regional basis and our particular neighborhood is at the bottom of that updating priority list! He frankly admitted that our particular area isn't scheduled for fiber optic replacements for a considerable amount of time yet! Meaning that they can only continue to put 'bandaids' on all the many problematic landline connections that reoccur until such time as installation of newer (and more reliable) fiber optics reaches us.

The bottom line he said, is continuing marginal and inadequate telephone service to homes like ours, which are still served by aging hard-wired 'legacy' networks. Additionally (as if that weren't bad enough), he said the particular cables that served us were 'paper-covered' (meaning paper insulated, presumably), which would continue to be a problem whenever moisture (such as rain) penetrated the lines!

In short, we were told that "Sorry, but there's nothing we can do to improve things until our area's fiber optic installation system reaches you (well off in the future, apparently)". For this we continue (rather stupidly, I think) to blindly & obediently pay our AT&T bill for totally unacceptable levels of service. The broadband service we receive is adequate for our computers and digital communications, but the telephone service is, as I have indicated, essentially the worst possibly imaginable.

We are again waiting for another AT&T repair person to come out and put more bandaids on our system (this is the 3rd such call in a week, without any service improvement at all and a continuation of the lousy receptivity at our home). As a result of this infuriating and totally unacceptable status quo, we have today upgraded our cellular phone service through a separate contractor and will be informing AT&T to DISCONTINUE our existing land-line telephone service. We shall henceforth be relying exclusively on cellular service, which even at its worst, is still heads and tails BETTER than our AT&T 'legacy' landline.

As for wifie's misplaced 'loyalty' to her AT&T telephone pioneer affinities, I have explained that in this modern age of cutthroat infighting by communications service providers, such archaic 'brandism' is grossly outdated and irrelevant. I only hope that this record of our own experiences with AT&T's 'legacy antiquarianism' will be insightful to all others who still persist on relying upon AT&T for landline voice communications!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I moved to a new location within the same city and requested to have my landline transferred. AT&T performed the installation and when I attempt to use the phone it does not work. I called them about 3 times to make arrangements and each time I would wind up on the phone for an hour and then it would hang up. This would be after I connected with Customer service who then transfers me to technical support that never answers. When I did finally get someone, they sent another guy out when I was not home claiming to have fixed the line. The line still did not work.

Meanwhile I'm being charged for a phone that does not work. I tried 3 more times to call until my last call on November 11, 2017 when I waited again on the phone for someone to pick up from a transfer. The phone hung up "again". This time AT&T disconnected my service for non-payment. I call again to explain why I did not make the payment and they insist that I make a payment for them to issue me a new number because the old number now has been assigned to someone else. All I'm trying to do at this point is prove that my phone never worked, so I make a payment expecting to get my money returned after this fiasco.

I'm about to get a new number and have the guys come out and set up my line AGAIN and I can show them that it does not work. They then tell me that they need to do a hard credit check on me to set up the line. I tell them forget it because I have already paid for the past 7 months for service I never received and they are not going to ding my credit, by taking more from me than they already have. I have decided to go with Southern California Telephone company for Land Line service. At least someone will answer the phone when I call and they will have someone competent enough to set up my landline.

One note. Every time I did call they wanted to push the voice over IP. Perhaps this is the underlying motive after all. Discourage all use of landlines. Why?

Privacy perhaps or just plain laziness. I will be switching from DirecTV and my Internet services too which are provided by AT&T and to think they still wanted to do a credit check. I'm just shopping around.

This company has proven over and over that it is incompetent. Customer service is almost non-existent. This is a clear example of a company that has gotten too big to handle its customers in an equitable manner. We need more choices, not fewer. The best way to counter poor customer handling and service to move to another provider that will fulfill those needs. I also want to add, tell the world about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AT&T?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

On 1/4/2018 I discovered that my elevator phone lines in one of our 104,000 sq foot office buildings were not active. AT&T was contacted to request repairs. We were told by the AT&T rep that it was an error on their part and that the service would be back on that coming Saturday. Checked Monday - service not active. Called AT&T - went through same process (takes about 45 minutes each time) and was told that service would be back on Tuesday. Checked Tuesday - service not active. Called AT&T again for repairs. This process has repeated FIVE times. Have been given numerous excuses including that no one showed up to meet the technician for the appointment - even though we were told that we didn't need to. It's now been almost two weeks and I still don't have active phone lines in my elevators. I have urged all the new tenants who are asking for recommendations for phone service to not use AT&T for their phone service. Service stinks!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This review is for AT&T landline repair. My landline has been out for a month. AT&T finally showed up today. I showed the repair person the low line in the backyard and mention the dangling wires on the telephone pole in the backyard surrounded only by a plastic bag. He said the plastic bag was "pretty standard". He said he was going to get his ladder and test the connection to the house. 90 seconds later he knocks and tells me the problem is in my house. Guess he did not realize I could see him through my window and he did not test the line!

I have made another appointment and must wait another week for another repair person to show. I guess this guy didn't want to do his job because it was raining.This guy is "pretty standard" in my experience with AT&T. Last time I needed repair I had to file an FCC report to get them to do their job. I may have to do that again. Very displeased with AT&T. I have been a customer for over 30 years. They are always willing to take my money, yet unwilling to do much for it!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was a long time customer of Verizon - no issues in 20 yrs (a little pricey). I have been with DirecTV since 2005. Sadly they were bought out by AT&T. So AT&T comes out with dog and pony show. I basically kept my pricing on satellite and added their high speed. They did the hard push for my cell business and made promises they didn’t keep. Since I had been with Verizon so long I was offered the iPhone for a .01 pay for data, voice etc. Well they started charging me for it. I was stuck because it doesn’t matter what you say they say it’s not true. Then say if you break Contract that will be 550.00. Well I have had them exactly one yr bundled and my 202.00 bill just went to 344.73! They will do nothing to adjust. They don’t have any specials. Well they will have my cell service for ONE more yr. Tonight I am finding new satellite/cable whatever and high speed. STAY AWAY! You get a good deal for one yr and then the shaft. You have been warned!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

Dishonest salespersons for this company will swear something is going to be one price (and a big savings) and then you will end up paying more than you were before! I don’t understand how you can employ people that flat out lie to your customers!!!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I have received multiple amounts of incorrect bills in the mail in the past from AT&T, and wasted hours of my time trying to address these bills over the phone with them. Needless to say, I have been upset on Friday afternoon after work when I would receive my AT&T bill in my mailbox showing that my bill was incorrect and there was no one to contact to discuss this at AT&T until Monday morning. I now refuse to play their game any longer. I have decided to only have my internet service thru them, and won't go with anything else. This way I can stay on top of only having one service from them. I still have my internet thru AT&T, because I can't find anyone else reputable enough to trust for internet service. I have Dish Network TV and a Verizon home phone line and I could not be happier with their services - their bills are always correct when I receive them in the mail.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

We paid for their privacy manager where unidentified callers could not call without exposing their name and phone number. This really cut down on the majority of junk calls. AT&T removed the privacy manager from all of CA phones without notifying the subscribers. Now, we are getting tons of junk calls that are numerous daily. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves for removing this feature without notification.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have called AT&T more than 25 times since September 14, 2017. I changed providers from Birch Communications to AT&T on 9-14-17. MISTAKE!!! I wanted AT&T to be the current provider and have US Telecom as long distance server. US Telecom sent AT&T an order form to confirm this on 9-14-17. AT&T put on hold on US Telecom and would not release the hold as of November 1, 2017. I said fine, I called US Telecom, told them to cancel the request and I called AT&T to be the long distance carrier. AT&T said it would take 24-48 hours and long distance would be available.

As of today, November 7, 2017 there still is NO long distance installed. I found out today that a hold until November 15, 2017 has been put on the account but nobody knows why. This company should not be able to provide any FCC communications. Asked for corporate number and was told the supervisor was the only one that could provide that and she was busy and would call me back. I'm waiting and bet I never get the callback. This is ridiculous!!!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

AT&T has charged me a restoral fee in which they are responsible. They combined my accounts without my knowledge and when I found out I had them change it back. My wife paid by phone each month the total over the phone. They never sent a bill for the other portion of the account. By the time I got notice they disconnected my internet service. They seem to be able to change things without your permission and then charge you for it. I am Fed up! They can be replaced.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Need help from AT&T customer service? Don't expect to get it... Plan on being put on hold, forwarded to more incompetent employees, being hung up on, and not getting any support for your problems with their service! I highly recommend not ever signing up with AT&T!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I ordered the new ATT homebase for my business in my house and when I got it home I was extremely excited to see such great speeds and how it worked. Well about 3-5 days later my speeds dropped to nothing and I mean nothing. Pages would not load, Speedtest showed 0 (if the page would load). I called ATT 10 times and some of those times were 1hr long only to have them hang up. I am extremely disappointed in these large companies because they just don't care whether you have good quality or not. I begged them to help me and I have pretty much spit on. I would recommend anyone to make sure you do your homework and try other avenues before giving ATT any business.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

First of all, AT&T is not consistent with their promises and billing system. Even though, I haven't made any changes to account, my bills keep on going up. It is such a pain to call AT&T each time. In conclusion, I hate this company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have never dealt with the most unprofessional and untrained customer service people in my entire life. I have only been with AT and T for 2 weeks and it has been the worst 2 weeks of my entire life. These people that call themselves professionals is anything but, professionals. They don't have a clue, they can't follow simple instructions, on how to do anything. They will sit on the telephone with you and say they did this right now and you call back tomorrow and find out they did no such thing.

This went on with me for 2 whole entire weeks of over 21 employees telling me daily they were putting voicemail on my business telephone and to this very day I have no voicemail as yet. They are so untrained and unprofessional. They have no business in the workplace. To add insult to injury, they ported over my personal cell phone from T-Mobile to AT and T without my knowledge or consent and I didn't know until I saw it on my bill. When the telephone bill came for the business I recognized my personal cell phone on it and it showed where they ported over my telephone number from T-Mobile.

I called AT and T and they had the nerve to tell me call T-Mobile to get the telephone number back because it's nothing they could do. I'm like "Are you serious? It's nothing you could do? I didn't tell you to port over my phone number. You did that on your own. Now you want me to go get the phone number back." These people are the pits. I called T-Mobile and they secured my phone number but AT and T ain't saying nothing about the fees they charged me for porting over my phone number that I didn't ask them to port over. So, needless to say I called back and told them make sure they remove those fees off my bill for porting over my telephone number illegally. Moral of the story find any other company but stay as far away as you can from AT and T!!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I called into AT&T to have my home phone disconnected in July of 2017 due to moving then to only find out after I paid the final bill in August, it was never disconnected. After they received my final payment they continued to charge me for their service that they failed to disconnect then has sent me a final notice of $191.78. I called them for more than two weeks trying to get this resolved (time lapse due to work) and when I finally reach someone who could help, I was basically told they never got any calls from me and said my final bill now was $152.90. Now I either pay their ransom or risk them reporting this to the credit bureau which was a sort of blackmail. This company use to be a lot better than their practices of milking hard working people out of their money and no one to hold them in check.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Payment error in their favor by five hundred dollars. Have been trying to get the refund for a month. Each time we call, promises are made and yet we wait. Last call said it would be 7 days. Waited 10. Today told it processed 3 days ago, but would still take 3-4 weeks to get to us. My MIL, has to have a landline. They know we can't cancel, so they just wait. I am sure though they would harass her daily if she was late with her payment. Thanks for caring for our seniors AT&T.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I decided to switch to over to VOIP because it is so much cheaper ($20/month) than AT&T but unfortunately for me I ended up in the hospital, twice. When I went into the hospital I forwarded my calls from my landline to my cell phone (not an AT&T cell phone) but when I came home, I found the phone dead as a doornail. I called my ISP and they said that the problem wasn't with them that I should call AT&T. So that's what I did. Every time I spoke to them they made me so mad that I hung up on them! It is impossible to talk to anyone above an underlying there, in spite of my asking over and over again. When I told them my plight, their response was that in order to have VOIP I MUST have service through AT&T. I told them I didn't want VOIP through them, I just wanted VOIP through my ISP but they insisted that I must have both AT&T and service through my ISP!

Then they decided they'd meet me halfway and said that I could switch back to AT&T for a couple of months then leave them. Bear in mind that in order to go back and forth it would take 1-2 months for my number to be "ported" from my ISP to AT&T then another 1-2 months to go back to my ISP. And I am supposed to do this why? I don't understand why they think they're the ruler of the roost. I remember when there were all kinds of phone companies and you had your choice; there were even "baby" bells but no more. Maybe that's why they think someone died and left them in charge of the planet. I finally got everything straightened around and I'm no longer with AT&T and my phone bill is now $20 instead of whatever AT&T decides to charge me.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Since Monday, Sept 11th, 2017 my landline home phone has been out of service. It is September 19th and it is still out of service. Despite calls to the service dept, the service to the phone has not been restored or repaired. I receive automated responses. I pay monthly for this service and I’m considering leaving this company due to their poor service. They could at least send a letter to customers who are having this type of outage.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

This company I swear will lie and deceive you. I was with this company for internet service until they overpriced me. Had a charge. Didn't know why they charged me this price. (Word of advice never call, chat with them so you'll have evidence). Talked to a rep and hell she couldn't tell me why. Cancelled DirecTV and sent in their equipment as soon I got the boxes and they charge me for $92.57. Cancelled before the next bill generated. Had to call my state attorney general. Before I told him who I was dealing with he laughed and said must be AT&T so obviously they been having reports on them. I cancelled the internet and told them this. If I would have read the reviews on them I would have NEVER HAVE GOTTEN WITH THEM!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I called AT&T to order new landline service. I was disconnected twice during the call and had to restart the process all over again. The rep gets your cell number and claims to call you back if you get disconnected but he doesn't. Plus the reps barely speak English. After an hour on the phone, I was finally given my new number and a date and time when AT&T would arrive to install the line. That date and time came and went without anyone showing up. I called AT&T and was told they could NOT find my order. I had to go through the order process all over for the third time. They gave me a new date and time for installation. However, an AT&T technician showed up at my house on the WRONG date and time.

The next day I received mail from AT&T with a list of services I had ordered. The list was wrong and my phone number was different than the one they had assigned me when I placed my order. In addition, our new phone line had static and a constant hum. I called AT&T to ask about the two phone numbers, the line hum, and the incorrect list of services and got stuck in voice mail hell with an automated system not prepared to handle multiple problems.

So I went to AT&T online and tried to create an account through "myAT&T app". The system couldn't find my account using either of the two phone numbers. Frustrated, I initiated a chat. The AT&T rep could not understand English well and relied on canned phrases and sentences to conduct business. She clearly did not comprehend my issues and kept asking repeated irrelevant or silly questions. She kept asking who my home line service provider was. AT&T of course!!! I couldn't believe she kept asking. She also stated she couldn't find my Account either.

Finally after 45 minutes of dithering around she transferred the chat to another agent. The next agent informed me that he was the in the WRONG department to help me, and transferred the chat again. This time I got an automated message saying my wait time was two hours!!! At that point I disconnected the chat. I'm near tears as I write this. AT&T seems to offer no good way to contact anyone for help and if you do get someone, they don't understand English well enough to solve the issues. First they can't find my order and now they can't find my account. If only AT&T weren't the only choice for a landline but I'm in a rural area. I give up.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

My mother is 83 years old, blind and has a special telephone to dial. Her telephone is her lifeline. She has had the same phone number for years. Her telephone account is in her name. When trying to use her phone it did not work. We called for repair. They were sending someone next day 4-6PM, no show. My husband called, they will send someone 6-8, no show. Next day someone comes early morning unannounced, as we were on our way out for her Dr. appt. Repair man said, "Can't fix it, you have to talk to someone and have them do a credit check." My mother was confused asked "Why? I pay my bill on time, they deduct it from my checking account autopay every month." His response, "You have two phone lines here, when AT&T installed U-verse, they used your phone line." My husband and I have a separate AT&T account and had ordered U-verse. Instead of connecting to our phone line they tapped into hers.

I spent hours, days, on the phone trying to get someone to come and turn my mothers phone back on. They said someone will call to let us know when a repairman would come. My husband and I called a "special" number given to us by the repairman. No callback, next day tried again, woman was rude, "Oh you're the one with the three people, you, your mother in law and your wife. Who placed the order?" When I got in the phone with her, I said we want to know when someone is coming to fix the phone, my mom needs her phone. The woman did not even hear and was rambling on and on, I asked her to please, shut up and listen, she hung up! My husband texted her for her supervisor. Supervisor called and said we had used profane language. NOT TRUE.

She, they, could not help, dial another number. Finally got a lovely woman that explained exactly what happened, someone would come, someone would call when. Still no call as to when. Called them again, response, they'll be here on the 21st that's more than two weeks. My mother had to do a credit check on the phone, her DirecTV bill will no longer be consolidated (that gave her a $20.00 discount) and she'll have to resetup her autopay. I don't understand why my poor, blind, 83 year old Mom has to be so hassled with all these things. She has done nothing wrong. How hard is it for AT&T just to come and fix their mistake! I am totally disgusted. My mom is afraid and full of anxiety, she can't call anyone especially in case of emergency. Her little senior friends can't call her. This is elder abuse and very bad business! Shame on AT&T.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Without any notice or warning, AT&T removed 'Privacy Manager' from my residential telephone line. This feature helps to screen out callers who are UNIDENTIFIED, UNKNOWN, BLOCKED, PRIVATE OR DO NOT PROVIDE CALLER ID. This feature allows callers to be voice screened or press '1' to unblock their number for the current call only. In this day when we are being frustrated and annoyed by Telemarketers and Spam phone calls without let up, it is an essential tool as a front line of defense for these types of callers. They refuse to restore it - and say that it is being discontinued. I never received any kind of notice or letter from AT&T.

I have had to contact the CPUC (California Public Utilities Commission) and requested their help. In the meantime, I am vulnerable to Blocked or Anonymous calls from Telemarketer at any time of day or night. I cannot understand any justification for this kind of action. This is an essential feature, and AT&T touted it as such for years and years. Agreed, it is useful and helpful and I merely want it restored ASAP.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We moved to a home that has no access to cell signals or cable services in March, 2016. We had to have a landline and AT&T was the only option. When we set up the account, we wanted auto draft payments. We never received a bill, but since we have several emails, we didn't notice. Since auto draft was to be in place we didn't worry. We receive at least 4 calls a week from AT&T associated folks trying to sell other unwanted/unneeded services, but never a call from their billing department.

On June 20, 2017, they emailed us a disconnect notice with a bill for $$1,002.55. We received it on 7/24 and a call confirmed $91.96 due on 7/7 as well. Of course the bill included 14 late fees (unknown amounts) with no refund possible. I paid it all immediately over the phone (with a $5 fee for using a phone payment). The associate again set us up on auto draft for future bills. On August 9, I called again because we still hadn't received a bill. After a 15 minute struggle to get to a human he assured me the bill had been paid, but he claimed that the reason we had not received a bill was because when they sent the bill to the email, it was rejected so the system stopped trying. He changed us to a paper bill. At no time did they try to call, mail a past due notice or mail a bill. To this date (8/10/17) we have not received a bill in any form and we were told in no uncertain terms we would have to pay for any back copies of a bill!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I was just on the phone with AT&T trying to get help for my combined bill which I was suppose to save money doing. We have a landline, also talked into for savings, internet and DIRECTV. Combining was suppose to save more money, so I did that only to get an exorbitant bill with the DIRECTV charges jumping sky high.

Called AT&T, was transferred 5 times, an hour and 42 minutes on the phone, with the last transfer wanting me to start all over again with all the info!!! I am now waiting for another supervisor to call back! The service people are kind, but I wouldn't want their job for anything -- everytime I call this is the same scenario. And it seems I have to call about every other month. No one has any idea of what they are doing and they pass it off to the next "supervisor". The DSL internet connection is spotty, which they claim they can see that -- so why do they not fix it!!?? If they weren't our only option where we live, we would be going with any body else! They over sell and under provide.

Original review: July 29, 2017

Please take my advice and stay away from AT&T. I have spent my day waiting for a technician to come out to bury lines in my yard so I can close on my house and all I keep getting is the runaround. Lines still not buried. I have spoken to nine different people today alone, not counting the ones that I spoke with Monday, who promised the same thing. Now I have to wait to Monday and call a different department and hope that the contract on my house doesn't fall through because of AT&T promises that were never delivered. They do not care about their customers! All they care about is getting their money once a month. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Nothing good will come from using them. I will never use them again and will tell everyone I know to stay away as well. They are full of promises but they don't deliver on any of them. Do yourself a favor and choose a different provider. I wish I had!!! Customer service is a joke...

Original review: July 4, 2017

I have been a loyal AT&T customer since 2004. I was solicited to begin a digital life services while purchasing my second Apple Watch. I agreed. The service was installed and worked okay until all the security equipment caused the socket it was plugged into to malfunction. I informed AT&T Digital Life that my security system was not working because the socket stopped working. They expected me to continue to pay despite the issues. I suggested that they send someone out to move it to another area. Instead the situation has lingered and resulted in a $782.15 debt. It was beyond my control that the socket stopped powering the system.

I can't believe AT&T expected me to pay for a service that wasn't working; potentially because of their equipment. I can't believe the nonchalant attitude Chrisan and the other 4 representatives I spoke to displayed. I was on hold 30 plus minutes on a over hour long conversation. I know that there is something that can be done. This ruthless attitude is unacceptable. I plan to seek furthest assistance. They should have suspended the service until the electrical problems were dealt with by moving the system. Now I am stuck with all this equipment, electrical problems and a $782.15. But I am expected to maintain my loyalty.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I own a business account and has one phone line with AT&T. It has been many years... Recently I am closing down my business, so I don't need the phone line anymore, called AT&T to cancel the service. They said, the termination fee is $120, because the phone is auto renew every year, and if you don't accept auto renew, they won't provide the service... I paid one line for $57 every month, it's not cheap, now I want to cancel it, it's more fee to pay? It is the worst company. I agree to pay what I use, but this is not fair, when I cut off the phone line has to pay termination fee? They are ridiculous, surprised they have all of awful reviews, and still survive… I will try not to use anything from AT&T in the future! No more AT&T!!!

AT&T expert review by ConsumerAffairs

AT&T is a publically traded company with headquarters in Dallas. The company has 140-year history in the communications industry. Today, it offers home phone, cellular, Internet and television services. Consumers who bundle two or more services receive discounts.

• U-verse Voice: Consumers in select locations can subscribe to U-verse Voice, a digital home phone service that makes calls using an Internet connection. The service is available in over 20 states.

• Traditional service: AT&T offers traditional landlines in most locations throughout the United States. Options include local and nationwide plans. Rates vary by location.

• Extra features: Customers can add several features to their phone service, including three-way calling, call forwarding, selective call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID and more. Some plans include these features in the monthly fee.

• Online support: AT&T customers can visit the Support section of AT&T’s website to learn about using the features associated with their landline. They can also schedule service and installation online.

• International calling: International calling can be added to any plan for a monthly fee. Interested consumers can visit AT&T’s website to see per-minute rates for international plans.

• Best for: AT&T Home Phone is best for anyone who wants a traditional landline and is looking for a variety of additional features.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.att.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use